PDA

View Full Version : FO: My "Not Arlene" Shortsleeved Pullover

aprilbetty
03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Antares' "Almost Arlene" sweater was the inspiration for this sweater which I call "Not Arlene." I knitted it from the top down using the formula in Ann Budd's "Top Down Sweaters." The lace is Oriel from Barbara Walker's "Second Treasury." The yarn is a bamboo-cotton-nylon blend, and it is perfect for South Florida. I used size 6 needles. I added the small garter stitch border at the neck after the body of the sweater was finished. I used a sewn bind-off, which is quite stretchy.

Antares
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
That turned out gorgeous! Love the color you chose, as well as the lace. And best of all, it looks so very good on you.

(My goodness, you're a zippy knitter!! It took me over a year to finish Almost Arlene.)

GrumpyGramma
03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
That's a beautiful top. Very nicely done. Which color is more accurate, the purple or the more rose color with you wearing it. You look great in it!

aprilbetty
03-14-2013, 12:34 PM
That turned out gorgeous! Love the color you chose, as well as the lace. And best of all, it looks so very good on you.

(My goodness, you're a zippy knitter!! It took me over a year to finish Almost Arlene.)

Thanks! This sweater was the only thing I was knitting. Short sleeves go really fast. And I started over just once!

aprilbetty
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
That's a beautiful top. Very nicely done. Which color is more accurate, the purple or the more rose color with you wearing it. You look great in it!

Thanks! The purple is more accurate. I guess the lighting was different, and that is why the colors look different.

Jan in CA
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
That came out really pretty!

nonny2t
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
It is really pretty. Which color is more accurate the purple or the self photo of you? It looks spectacular on you and I love the bottom of it.

GrumpyGramma
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks! The purple is more accurate. I guess the lighting was different, and that is why the colors look different.

It's lovely in both colors as they photographed but I really do prefer the purple. You have very good taste. :) I think I need to get one of Ann Budd's books.

ABC's Mom
03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Very nicely done!! Love the color.
I had to do a double take when I saw this as I just picked up the Spring Love of Knitting Magazine this afternoon. What caught my eye when looking through the magazine was the "Raspberry Sorbet" sweater on page 45. It is very similar to the one you just finished with the lacey pattern at the bottom. The biggest difference is this one has a different neckline. It uses a placket like on a polo shirt without the collar.

Antares
03-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you do any waste shaping? It doesn't look like it from the first photo, but I thought I'd ask.

You know, you're inspiring me to make another one of these--maybe without the buttons and with long sleeves or something. Must finish other projects first! Must finish other projects first! (Does that self-talk stuff really work?)

salmonmac
03-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Absolutely beautiful and it looks fabulous on! The lace pattern is perfect with this sweater.

aprilbetty
03-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you do any waste shaping? It doesn't look like it from the first photo, but I thought I'd ask.

You know, you're inspiring me to make another one of these--maybe without the buttons and with long sleeves or something. Must finish other projects first! Must finish other projects first! (Does that self-talk stuff really work?)

You are right, no waist shaping. The bamboo yarn is quite stretchy, and also blocks very nicely.

Nanaof6
03-15-2013, 11:34 PM

You know, you're inspiring me to make another one of these--maybe without the buttons and with long sleeves or something. Must finish other projects first! Must finish other projects first! (Does that self-talk stuff really work?)Nope, well at least it doesn't work for me to tell myself I must finish other projects first:X:I usually have about 4 projects on needles .

Nanaof6
03-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Antares' "Almost Arlene" sweater was the inspiration for this sweater which I call "Not Arlene." I knitted it from the top down using the formula in Ann Budd's "Top Down Sweaters." The lace is Oriel from Barbara Walker's "Second Treasury." The yarn is a bamboo-cotton-nylon blend, and it is perfect for South Florida. I used size 6 needles. I added the small garter stitch border at the neck after the body of the sweater was finished. I used a sewn bind-off, which is quite stretchy.

I love it! I have been wanting to knit something like this, You have inspired me! Where can I find this pattern?

aprilbetty
03-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I love it! I have been wanting to knit something like this, You have inspired me! Where can I find this pattern?

Thanks! You can find the free pattern for "Arlene" on Ravelry. Antares' version ("Almost Arlene") added lace at the sleeves and lower body. That was my inspiration, but I used Ann Budd's, "The Knitter's Handy Book of Top Down Sweaters," for my pattern, so I call it "Not Arlene."

NorthernIrelandKnitter
03-16-2013, 07:55 AM
The top looks really pretty - well done on the self-designing or is it self-adapting of another pattern? Either way, it looks lovely on you.

Gillian

Antares
03-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Here's a link (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/arleen) to the pattern on Rav (just in case you couldn't find it by spelling it "Arlene").

I hope you'll post a picture when you're done. I'd love to see your version.

aprilbetty
03-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Here's a link (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/arleen) to the pattern on Rav (just in case you couldn't find it by spelling it "Arlene").

Well, what can I say? I should have linked to Antares' post, and then maybe I could have spelled "Arleen," instead of "Arlene."

Antares
03-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, what can I say? I should have linked to Antares' post, and then maybe I could have spelled "Arleen," instead of "Arlene."

Oh no, you're spelling of "Arlene" is perfectly fine--especially since your version wasn't "Arleen" anyway!

But I thought it might be good to include the original info in case someone couldn't find the pattern.

justplaincharlotte
03-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Very pretty!:cheering:

jinxnit55
03-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Wow! Super! When I get better as a knitter I would like to try something like this.

dturner
03-17-2013, 03:17 PM
That's lovely! I love the purple. I have the same book, but I haven't used the book yet. In fact, I have never knitted a sweater. You have inspired me to pull out the book and try knitting a top-down sweater. Good job!

aprilbetty
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
That's lovely! I love the purple. I have the same book, but I haven't used the book yet. In fact, I have never knitted a sweater. You have inspired me to pull out the book and try knitting a top-down sweater. Good job!

I like Ann Budd's books, because it is so easy to customize the patterns. The book is mainly tables of sizes, gauges, and stitch counts. I especially like that format for children's sweaters. Most of my DGC's (Dear GrandChildren) are tall and slim, so it is easy to follow one set of numbers for the width, and another for the length.

butlersabroad
03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
That's very pretty, love the colour too. It was an Ann Budd book I used to teach myself sock knitting, a far cry from your beautiful sweater but I like Ann's style.

ArtLady1981
03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
It's really a darling design! Great work!

MerigoldinWA
03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Very nice fancy tee. You did a very good job on it. Love the lace.