PDA

View Full Version : My grandson learned to knit today!

GrumpyGramma
03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
He's planning to knit something for his mom's birthday. He doesn't know how to purl yet and I ended up doing the cast on for his mom's present, which will be a coaster to go under her coffee cup, so it'll be garter stitch.

He's 12 and has Asperger's. His mom got a call that he needed to be picked up from school. I'm closer and could get there faster so she called me and he ended up spending the afternoon. He needed to calm down and I just had him sit in front of me and showed him how and he was doing knit stitches very quickly. I was amazed. He took home 2 sets of acrylic needles from my interchangeable sampler sets and 2 cables, a key and a piece of grippy shelf liner, some straight sz. 10 plastic straight needles that he was using, the yarn he was learning with and yarn for the coaster. He likes it. I think it will be a calming thing for him to do, he got into the rhythm of it so quickly. I showed him Sheldon's post with the cardi-gan photo to show him that men do knit. Thanks, Sheldon! I know other men post photos but Sheldon's was the one I remembered how to find.

If he keeps knitting I think it will help him a lot and he'll have the satisfaction of having made something.

Antares
03-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Great news, GG! Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you can get his permission to post a pic of a finished object when the time comes. You know we'll lavish praise on whatever he does, and that may help boost his confidence some.

GrumpyGramma
03-14-2013, 09:57 PM
The hardest part was telling him that he probably won't want to tell the kids at school that he's knitting. They'd tease him and teasing was part of the problem today. Sheldon's photo was a godsend! I really think knitting can be a useful tool for him, it will work with his OCD tendencies w/o being something that is detrimental. Thanks for the caring comment.

Antares
03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Next time you get the chance, you should show him the pictures of Mojo's chickens. That will probably amuse him--and possibly inspire him, too.

So glad your attempt to teach him knitting worked out like it did. Of course, it could have gone either way, and having it go positively is just super!! Who wouldn't like getting to teach a very special someone a very special craft?!

GrumpyGramma
03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Chickens by mojo! Great idea. I didn't recall them. I think he'll like them. Thanks!

I wasn't really sure how he felt about having knitting more or less imposed on him today, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I then heard him on the phone with his mom when he told her he learned to knit and the pride in his voice was obvious. He came back to work on it some more and didn't mind that the needles I gave him were pink. :) He made sure he took his knitting bag with him. All I had for him to use was a plastic bag from the store but his needles and things went into an old check box I'd saved. I know it was an old box, I've not had new checks in over 4 yrs!

Jan in CA
03-15-2013, 12:20 AM
That's wonderful, GG! I hope he keeps it up!

salmonmac
03-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Knitting is wonderfully calming and therapeutic and it can be a great outlet for artistry and imagination. I hope your grandson continues to enjoy learning and knitting. It can be so absorbing and such a confidence booster. Good thinking, GG!

ABC's Mom
03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Sounds like both of you enjoyed a grandma and grandson moment. Hope he keeps it up. Would love to see whatever he makes for his mom.
I hope to someday teach my grandson to knit as well. He's only 21/2 so it will be a few years before he'll be ready. My daughter is very crafty/creative so I know she'll encourage whatever he wants to do craft wise as he gets older. My son in law isn't the kind of guy to stand in the way either, so here's hoping he'll want to learn.

GrumpyGramma
03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
I hope your GS wants to learn to knit, I think it's a good thing for people to know how to do. It can be very therapeutic. I remember hearing about football players doing needlepoint or something like that. We're lucky that our SILs don't object, some dads would. So far I've heard nothing about my SIL not liking the idea, I don't think it's likely to be an issue. Anything the little guy likes to do and gets him away from electronic screens is generally encouraged. My DD thinks it's great. We both think that once he's gotten good at it, he'll find it relaxing...unless he gets so hung up on perfection right away that he quits. I really hope that won't be the case. And, yes, it was a good experience for both of us. I'm so glad I finally learned to knit English, that's the way he chose to do it and I can't imagine teaching him to hold the yarn in his left hand. He might learn both ways, who knows?

DavidSydney63
03-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Hi Grumpy - what wonderful news. Let's hope he becomes as great a knitter as you or Kaffe Fassett.

GrumpyGramma
03-16-2013, 02:11 AM
My expectation is that if he decides to keep knitting he will soon surpass me. I'll have to find some of your photos to show him.

justplaincharlotte
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
That was an inspired bit of thinking there on your part GG! :thumbsup: I hope he continues to find enjoyment and calm with his knitting.

Jan in CA
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
It's also a good thing for small motor control, eye hand coordination and patience. :thumbsup: Let us know how he does as he goes along. :hug:

GrumpyGramma
03-16-2013, 09:03 PM
That was an inspired bit of thinking there on your part GG! :thumbsup: I hope he continues to find enjoyment and calm with his knitting.

It's also a good thing for small motor control, eye hand coordination and patience. :thumbsup: Let us know how he does as he goes along. :hug:

I just got updated. He's just now shown his mom his needles and yarn and says he forgot how. He might look at videos or wait until I can help him again. Apparently he is still interested. When he sees my Fair Isle checked bag I'm making I think he's going to want to learn to do something like that too.

Jeremy
03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Good for him. Brooklyn Tweed has a great site for him to take a look at. He is a great designer and a really nice person. I took a class from him in New Haven a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Jeremy
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
PS.

I bet he would really like spinning with a spindle. He could make his own or buy one-they are not expensive.

GrumpyGramma
03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I have to see about doing some spinning myself. Maybe this summer GS and I can explore it together. Thanks for the great idea, Jeremy.

offgridgirl
03-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Three cheers for Grandma's!! I learn from mine and haven't every looked back. Keep up the positive encouragement. Kids are soooo cruel these days...it should be a proud moment! I hope he will continue. We look forward to see pictures of his work...here1:yay:

GrumpyGramma
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
OGG: I look forward to seeing him maybe tomorrow and find out for sure what his interest in knitting really is. I told him he has to give back the needles and yarn if he doesn't go ahead and use them, maybe that will help him want to use them. I'm hoping anyhow.

barbarajo
03-19-2013, 08:19 PM
He's planning to knit something for his mom's birthday. He doesn't know how to purl yet and I ended up doing the cast on for his mom's present, which will be a coaster to go under her coffee cup, so it'll be garter stitch.

He's 12 and has Asperger's. His mom got a call that he needed to be picked up from school. I'm closer and could get there faster so she called me and he ended up spending the afternoon. He needed to calm down and I just had him sit in front of me and showed him how and he was doing knit stitches very quickly. I was amazed. He took home 2 sets of acrylic needles from my interchangeable sampler sets and 2 cables, a key and a piece of grippy shelf liner, some straight sz. 10 plastic straight needles that he was using, the yarn he was learning with and yarn for the coaster. He likes it. I think it will be a calming thing for him to do, he got into the rhythm of it so quickly. I showed him Sheldon's post with the cardi-gan photo to show him that men do knit. Thanks, Sheldon! I know other men post photos but Sheldon's was the one I remembered how to find.

If he keeps knitting I think it will help him a lot and he'll have the satisfaction of having made something.
That's the one I posted about to you a few minutes ago, Sheldon's card-igans! I need some instructions on helping a left-hander learn to knit & crochet.
BJ :)

barbarajo
03-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Youtube has lots of videos and just finding someone who will go slow enough to follow should work until he sees you again. I play those things over & over until I see what they mean.
By the way someone mentioned football players who knit...Rosie Greer was one of them!

GrumpyGramma
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I haven't seen the post in Sheldon's thread. All the lefties I personally know have learned to knit and crochet just the same as right handers do. Some that I've read about actually hold the hook or working needle in the left hand but most seem to be able to learn to use their right hand.

Jan in CA
03-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Yes, I only know one left hander who actually knits left handed. She said it was a pain since most patterns are written by right handers and she had to adjust some things. :shrug:

Nanaof6
03-20-2013, 12:10 AM

If he keeps knitting I think it will help him a lot and he'll have the satisfaction of having made something.I love that you taught your GS to knit. I taught mine too but I'm not sure if he is still knitting ,at least I gave him the basics so if he want to knit he knows how.

I know a Sheldon from a Cancer group I was in, I wonder if it's the same Sheldon? How can I find out? Not a name you hear everyday.

GrumpyGramma
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
I love that you taught your GS to knit. I taught mine too but I'm not sure if he is still knitting ,at least I gave him the basics so if he want to knit he knows how.

I know a Sheldon from a Cancer group I was in, I wonder if it's the same Sheldon? How can I find out? Not a name you hear everyday.

It's just like anything else. We can teach them but whether they use it or not is up to them. I've noticed here that people who hadn't knit in years have rediscovered knitting and its benefits.

ArtLady1981
03-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Wonderful family story! It warms my heart!

ABC's Mom
03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
My grandmother taught me to crochet. I crocheted for years before learning to knit. I am a leftie and have my working yarn in my right hand. That's a pain when learning certain stitches in crochet. I finally learned to knit from my mother in law and did it for awhile then went back to crochet. Just picked the knitting needles back up about a year and a half ago. Love it more each day. Would rather knit now than crochet.

GrumpyGramma
03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Would rather knit now than crochet.

I crocheted for years before learning to knit. Now I'm a knitter who can also crochet. LOL

Brooks66
03-20-2013, 02:28 PM
wow.that's great to hear

HeathersHobbies
04-02-2013, 06:43 AM
My son has Aspergers. He is only 8 so I haven't taught him to knit yet but I have taught him hook rug. He enjoys it. I think in the next couple of years I will teach him how to knit. I have no daughters only 3 sons so I have to teach somebody lol

GrumpyGramma
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Rug hooking is cool. I'm so glad your son enjoys it. I've thought I should try it. Unfortunately my GS decided to give my needles back and isn't knitting. :(

ad2knit
05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Rug hooking is cool. I'm so glad your son enjoys it. I've thought I should try it. Unfortunately my GS decided to give my needles back and isn't knitting. :(

Aw...welll at least you taught him though