and of course do all sorts of random crafts with my young kids

justplaincharlotte
03-16-2013, 05:50 PM
What other crafty hobby do you have?

I knit, crochet, spin...
sew, quilt, draw, paint...
and of course do all sorts of random crafts with my young kids
I currently indulge myself in:
knitting and needlepoint on the fiber arts side, haven't sewn or crocheted in years
painting ceramics when something catches my fancy
and cooking. I'm an unrepentant foodie so it's an art form to me!

Antares
03-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Knit and crochet keep me the busiest these days--with knitting winning over crochet of late (although crochet is my first love since I learned it first), but I also enjoy tatting, paper making, book making, origami, gardening, cooking, jewelry making, and quilting.

I've also gotten into making boxes and bags using wallpaper samples (since I was given about 8 or 10 books of the stuff--one must do something with it, you know).

Oh, well I guess gardening isn't really very crafty. . . . :shrug:

Jan in CA
03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I sewed a lot when I was a teen and when my kids were little. I've also done crewel embroidery and crochet. I attempted quilting, but it's just as fiddly as sewing. I'm not interested in those things anymore. I much prefer knitting. It's easy to take along and just pick up and create. :thumbsup:

justplaincharlotte
03-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Oh, well I guess gardening isn't really very crafty. . . . :shrug:
For some reason I see you with artfully designed topiary in your yard, or with trees grown in parallel rows shaped into arches for a pathway... you strike me as the artsy gardener. ;)

Antares
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
For some reason I see you with artfully designed topiary in your yard, or with trees grown in parallel rows shaped into arches for a pathway... you strike me as the artsy gardener. ;)

Well, thank you, Charlotte; it's nice to be imagined that way--even if it's not true! :wink:

No, the sad reality is that our garden is quite weedy and wayward at the moment. We will get it whipped into shape as spring nears, but for now it is quite the untidy mess!

As for trees and pathways and topiary, well that's not realistic here on the edge of West Texas. I'd love to cover the place in trees--and have the moisture to sustain them, but alas . . . my husband must have a field to plow and the rains just aren't very frequent these days.

I see all these beautiful, lush, green, drapey gardens on Pinterest, and I dream of having such a sanctuary in my backyard. But then reality in the form of another hot, dry Texas summer slams into my pitiful little dream, and before you know it, the dream, as well as the garden, has burnt to a crisp--and/or been eaten by grasshoppers!

Maybe I should strive for a beautiful, lush, green, drapey cactus garden--all in neat rows and shaped into interesting topiary and with arches that one dare not walk under lest one be impaled! Hmmmmm . . . . that's not quite the same inviting environment that I imagined!

GrumpyGramma
03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
You could have it in miniature, Antares, with a terrarium.

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I knit, crochet, weave, draw (not very well), embroider, cross stitch, pretty much anything involving a needle "turns me on". I also like to try new things I have found on youtube, like making roses out of plastic spoons, now that is fun!

justplaincharlotte
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Maybe I should strive for a beautiful, lush, green, drapey cactus garden--all in neat rows and shaped into interesting topiary and with arches that one dare not walk under lest one be impaled! Hmmmmm . . . . that's not quite the same inviting environment that I imagined!

However, it could be very private and just for you, minus the grasshoppers. :woohoo:
I'd no idea you were that close to the SW desert - I fell in love with the stark and oddly shaped Joshua trees in Southern CA. Do you have those?

jinxnit55
03-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Draw, quilt, and needle felt.

knitcindy
03-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Besides knitting, I like to:

crochet
counted cross stitch

And that's about it. I like to read about quilting (the "Elm Creek Quilts" series) but I don't think that counts for actual quilting.

knitcindy

Antares
03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
You could have it in miniature, Antares, with a terrarium.

Very true, GG! Believe me, I've considered it (I just can't quite figure out how to get inside the terrarium with my lawn chair, though)!

However, it could be very private and just for you, minus the grasshoppers. :woohoo:
I'd no idea you were that close to the SW desert - I fell in love with the stark and oddly shaped Joshua trees in Southern CA. Do you have those?

Well, a cactus garden might not be a peaceful setting for just anyone, but it's not for everyone, so that's okay. My husband brought home some Spanish daggers and century plants just last week. He grew up in "brush country" and feels right at home among all manner of thorny plants. So, yeah, it appears that a cactus garden just might be where we're headed.

Sadly there are no Joshua trees here. They are beautifully unique, aren't they? In looking at their habitat, they prefer a higher elevation than ours. DARN!

butlersabroad
03-18-2013, 12:02 PM
I make cards. I love to stamp and colour, it's like being a kid again! My favourite colouring techniques are water colouring with inks and I was lucky enough to receive a large set of Prismacolor pencils for Christmas, they're blendable. I make them for all of life's events, a lot of "just because" cards but my absolute favourites are Christmas cards. I make them year round, so that everyone on my list has a unique and individual card! Here's a couple of my most recent Christmas cards:

http://www.butlersabroad.com/blog/10mar13/hedge3.jpg

http://www.butlersabroad.com/blog/16feb13/lotv1.jpg

In fact, if anything is going to keep me away from my knitting it's this!

PS. There are loads more cards on my blog if anyone is interested, I usually make and post about three a week.

barbarajo
03-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Crocheting is my comfort zone. I've been trying to learn to knit & it's very frustrating not having anyone to help me out. I have some medical issues that keep me home alot but I refuse to give up on knitting! My problem is always starting with too big of a project. Now I'm trying to work on a small one and if it's difficult I can rip it out! I'm so used to doing that with crocheting anyway! Sewing has never been my thing but I keep trying.

GrumpyGramma
03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Crocheting is my comfort zone. I've been trying to learn to knit & it's very frustrating not having anyone to help me out. I have some medical issues that keep me home alot but I refuse to give up on knitting! My problem is always starting with too big of a project. Now I'm trying to work on a small one and if it's difficult I can rip it out! I'm so used to doing that with crocheting anyway! Sewing has never been my thing but I keep trying.

:thumbsup: Good for you! What small projects are you working on? I've found I like knitting squares: dishcloths, washcloths, coasters. It can be a great opportunity to practice stitch patterns and tension and just get comfortable with knitting. Finishing something that you can use that doesn't have to be perfect is so nice when you're learning. I've made sweaters and socks and I still do squares because I'm learning! When I need a mindless knit, cotton yarn and Grandma's favorite dishcloth are just right.

GrumpyGramma
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Brenda, I love your cards. Right now I have a slow internet connection so I'll look at your blog later.

Antares
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Love the cards, Brenda. Thanks for sharing some pictures of them and the link to your blog!

AH1OZ
03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
those cards are awesome!

sakura-panda
03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Your cards are beautiful, Brenda! :inlove: I always say I want to make cards, but I never do.

On topic, I like to say that I scrapbook. There is a long time between layouts -- so many other things seem to take up my time! -- but I have decided that I *am* going to figure out a way to scrapbook more. :think:

butlersabroad
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for everyone's kind comments!

Katie - I've never scrap booked but can see the attraction of documenting all your photos etc. One of the reasons I like making the cards so much is the knowledge that no matter how wonderful I think a card is, how long it took me to make or that I used the last pieces of my most favourite paper or embellishments ..... at some point I'll be giving it away, it won't stay with me! That's hard sometimes!! Definitely make room for more scrap booking if you can, it's good to have hobbies!

barbarajo
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
:thumbsup: Good for you! What small projects are you working on? I've found I like knitting squares: dishcloths, washcloths, coasters. It can be a great opportunity to practice stitch patterns and tension and just get comfortable with knitting. Finishing something that you can use that doesn't have to be perfect is so nice when you're learning. I've made sweaters and socks and I still do squares because I'm learning! When I need a mindless knit, cotton yarn and Grandma's favorite dishcloth are just right.
I was looking on the knitting help on Facebook one night & found something small to learn to knit cables. It was the card-gans from the simplynotable.com site. I'm not done with even one yet, but I keep on. I'm beginning to understand the cable process a little. I'm also doing some washcloths too, I like behind able to see the stitches forming and I can also see my mistakes much clearer when it's not a super soft yarn. Thanks for your encouragement...I need a lot of that!

offgridgirl
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Other craft things??

HUmmm...I design websites, mosaic bathrooms and other spaces, chainsaw art(not very good at it), embroidery, cross stitch and sometimes do metal stamping.:mrgreen:

butlersabroad
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
... chainsaw art(not very good at it), .:mrgreen:

Well that's something you don't hear off every day!! :)

GrumpyGramma
03-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Well that's something you don't hear off every day!! :)

Chainsaw art's pretty common in this neck of the woods. Some of the pieces I've seen are incredible. Keep at it, OGG, and you could be world famous!

Chainsaw art images (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=11&gs_id=87&xhr=t&q=chainsaw+art&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44011176,d.cGE&biw=1113&bih=642&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=AuhJUfO-M86ajAKlzICgCg)

offgridgirl
03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
yup...it takes a bit o practice and hubby keeping taking my chainsaw to limb trees!! sheesh....GET your own saw!!! :rofl: I did attempt a bear....:knitting: I'm better at the knitting....:rofl:

GrumpyGramma
03-21-2013, 12:29 AM
yup...it takes a bit o practice and hubby keeping taking my chainsaw to limb trees!! sheesh....GET your own saw!!! :rofl: I did attempt a bear....:knitting: I'm better at the knitting....:rofl:

Let me guess, you could have a pink chainsaw and he wouldn't care, he'd take it anyhow! :rofl: I'd love to see a photo of your bear.

Jan in CA
03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
My husband said you should get one of the littler chainsaws. Might be easier to work the wood, but less useful for tree trimming. :lol:

offgridgirl
03-21-2013, 09:19 PM
This is a little saw...Echo 265....but still he likes it compared to his big bad-a$$ Stil saw...22" of tree ripping chain...:cool: He has dulled my blade and I burnt my bear for warmth last year. I will try again when I get back to normal...:cheering:

N0obKnitter
03-31-2013, 05:57 PM
I am learning to sew. I am dabbling in cake baking and I'm an amateur photographer.

DavidSydney63
03-31-2013, 08:11 PM
I draw and paint (not terribly well but ok) and play the piano.

ArtLady1981
04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
I make jewelry, does that count? My passion is making stitch markers! That's KNITTING JEWELRY!

I used to cross-stitch like a maniac...and sew...and stamp (mainly cards) but knitting has taken over.

I have a girlfriend that gets perturbed with me if I haven't read a book she recommended. Ah shucks.
I like to read...but what do you have at the end of a novel?

If I watch a movie, I can knit at the same time. Well, sorta watch a movie.
My husband complains about me and movies and knitting at the same time! he he
I can't watch a NEW MOVIE and knit...but old movies are perfect!

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread! It's interesting!

And I love the cards that butlersabroad posted! Very crafty, indeed! Great work! Thanks for sharing!

I used to have people ask to buy my cards...but some of the stamps are copyright protected.
You have to be sure about your stamps. So I contented myself with gifting my cards.

HeathersHobbies
04-10-2013, 03:40 AM
I mainly Crochet I am just now getting into knitting. I have an Etsy Shop that I sell all my crocheted and knitted items. HeathersHobbies (www.heathershobbies.com)

ABC's Mom
04-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Recently knitting has taken over my hobby life. However I still like to read, learned to needlepoint at a class last summer, and occasionally still crochet(trying to finish my DD crocheted afghan).
Though not really what I'd call a hobby, I love to travel. Just tell me when and where and I'll be there(at least I'll be there if I can get the time off work. Can't wait til I can retire!!)

Artchic528
04-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Other than knitting, I paint, draw and bead. I love anything crafty. :heart:

newmoon100
04-23-2013, 06:45 AM
crochet,quilt and embroidering

hushnel
04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
I just spent 45 min. putting a post together for this thread, but I guess since it was my first post the forum wouldn't let me include the photo attachments.

Oh well, live and learn. This is a perfect thread for my introduction. I'm retired now and have built a 1,600 sq.ft. Workshop to create and promote hand crafting, I am also a volunteer at the Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park demonstrating various skills.

I'm a musician/craftsman that has spent 30 years working on life support equipment at a 1,500 bed county hospital in south Florida.

I saved the first post I put together and if this one works I'll try resubmitting it a little later on. I've got a leather project I have to wrap up today so I'm off to the workshop.

Antares
04-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Sorry your original post didn't show up, hushnel. Post a few more just to be sure and then you can put your photo on here. We'd love to see what you've been up to.

And welcome to KH!

hushnel
04-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Well it looks like the original thread can be posted now, so the following would have been my first post "o)

I think this my be my first post, this is a good place for it. I have picked up a few crafts along the way. Knitting is what I do after the sun sets and I close the shop up. Knitting is also so portable it fills in when I can't be in the shop.

The shop is new, and on the 21.2 acre Florida Cracker Farm we bought and moved into last year, after I retired. The house was built in 1886, the workshop is modern concrete block with a metal roof.

My other skills and hobbies are based around a mixture of wood and metal work, I like challenge so I've tried a buch of stuff over the years some stuck, some didn't. The didn't stick stuff just was not enough of a challenge.

I've been doing leather work for a while, started off with a interest in Historical Interpritation, which is the driving motive in many of the crafts I fool around with.

This is a bag I made out of 8-9 oz tooling leather.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/F1348E2E-1742-4EBB-851E-5CB38959DB95-1827-000002A4A7B8DCF8.jpg

This is a combination of my leather work and knife making.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/D6D088D5-C0F1-4C59-A061-ECB79DA52DDF-1412-000007EA62E0558B.jpg

Some wood working,

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/56CA7959-A812-460F-A087-70781748D4C5-3644-000007718F955229.jpg

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/C1DACB7B-1527-4AB1-AA9E-E5E85FDA6142-3644-00000771D6699C88.jpg

This was my first instrument project,

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/Cuban.jpg

Cigarbox guitar I built for my buddy Albert Castiglia,

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/PC030200.jpg
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/AlbertandtheAshtonTeleatTR.jpg

Haven't finished this Cigarbox Charkha yet,

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/Crafts/08C00A4F-0220-44E0-93BD-9E4BDE99CD7D-1117-000001A3E21A3009.jpg

I also spin and weave, throw pottery on a wheel, rope work, jewelry making, inlay, blacksmithing, basket weaving, soap making, candle making. It may seem like a lot but much of it is either the same skill sets or related. I am a bit attention deficit, the only way I can get anything accomplished is to have a dozen or so projects going consecutively. It's better than taking a bunch of drugs to solve the problem, yeah , I could have been a rocket scientist or brain surgeon if I was diagnosed and treated as a child but then I wouldn't be me or live on this beautiful country farm now.

My back yard.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/The%20Farm/C64AF2E6-0DB5-4227-8C46-3C6BA88DF363-367-00000165E826CFD7.jpg

The cluttered mess that is my home,

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/hushnel/The%20Farm/image-2.jpg