PDA

View Full Version : Establishing Rows and M1

lesherry
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I have a pattern to knit a cable slouch hat. It says to cast on 72 sts and do at least 10 rows in K2 P2. That part I understand.

Then it says Increase row: Repeat *K3M1* (96 st).

Change to the bigger needle.

Establishing rows:

Row 1, 2 and 3) P2, K6, P2, K6
Row 4) P2, T6F, K6

I am wondering when I should do the increase and what exactly does the establishing rows mean? Do I spread out the K3M1 in the Establishing rows or do I do K3M1 right after the ribbing? Also, Rows 1-3 are all knit rows. In order to have a cable, I feel that the alternating rows should be purl, right?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

suzeeq
03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
You repeat 'k3, m1' all across the row, increasing the stitches to 96. It's a transition row between the rib and the cables and establishes or 'sets up' the sts for the cable pattern. Rows 1-3 are not all knits, they're p2, k6 all across the row. Row 4 will be the row you cross the cable sts on.

Paulaque
03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
you would knit three and make one, and repeat that across, then do the establishing rows, I believe, right after the ribbing.

I think they are saying that the p6 & k6, p2 and k2 are the establishing rows to follow the pattern from there on.

lesherry
03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
You repeat 'k3, m1' all across the row, increasing the stitches to 96. It's a transition row between the rib and the cables and establishes or 'sets up' the sts for the cable pattern. Rows 1-3 are not all knits, they're p2, k6 all across the row. Row 4 will be the row you cross the cable sts on.

Thank you for your help!:)