PDA

View Full Version : Continental purling

HeathersHobbies
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
I am teaching myself continental knitting and I am gonna keep trying even if it kills me :) I hate when I can't do something. I almost got down the knit st :woot: I am having a hard time with the purling. I have been watching Amy's videos over and over again and I still can't seem to get the hang of it. I am working on a pattern that looks almost like a checker board and I need to k2 p2 for two rows and then p2 k2 for two rows. It's taking forever because I am an English knitter. Is there another method of purling that is not on this website?

GrumpyGramma
04-25-2013, 09:24 AM
You're wanting another method for purling Continental? Some people find Norwegian purling easier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svYII4xxe2I I haven't gotten the hang of it myelf.
I knit Continental and have trouble purling English.

HeathersHobbies
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I will try that but that looks even more difficult lol

knitcindy
04-25-2013, 09:49 AM
This is the method I use for Continental purling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6XBTxJfggU

There are MANY methods that you can try. Keep going and eventually you'll find the one that's right for you!!!

hth, knitcindy

HeathersHobbies
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I got it!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: I use my thumb instead of my middle or pointer finger. It's different but it works. I now am knitting continental not that fast but I am gonna practice all day :)

I am just glad the kids are at school. MY house is a mess but I am knitting :) That is way more important.

GrumpyGramma
04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
I will try that but that looks even more difficult lol

I haven't figured it out yet but some people like it. You might try the combination purl and wrap the yarn backwards. It was easier in some ways when I was first learning and the stitches are tighter. It twists the stitches so you knit in the back loop to untwist them on the next row. As you're determined to get it, I'm sure you will. Something will work. I'll keep trying to do purls English style. I share your frustration.

How you hold the yarn in your left hand can make a difference too. Try different ways of doing it.

GrumpyGramma
04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
I got it!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: I use my thumb instead of my middle or pointer finger. It's different but it works. I now am knitting continental not that fast but I am gonna practice all day :)

I am just glad the kids are at school. MY house is a mess but I am knitting :) That is way more important.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Congratulations!!!!!

Lizars1735
04-25-2013, 11:01 AM

I actually saw a video of someone purling continental that way and am thinking about trying it. I use the Norwegian purl. I learned it when I learned continental and it is easier for me to not have to move the yarn forward, or my finger for that matter.

Great job on getting it!!! Congrats:woohoo:

HeathersHobbies
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
I actually saw a video of someone purling continental that way and am thinking about trying it. I use the Norwegian purl. I learned it when I learned continental and it is easier for me to not have to move the yarn forward, or my finger for that matter.

Great job on getting it!!! Congrats:woohoo:

I was trying the Norwegian purl I have been going back and forth and I kind of almost got the hang of it. It works the best when your doing ribbing. I did a row of k2 p2. I figure I would make a dish cloth so that it won't matter what stitches I use.

Lizars1735
04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I was trying the Norwegian purl I have been going back and forth and I kind of almost got the hang of it. It works the best when your doing ribbing. I did a row of k2 p2. I figure I would make a dish cloth so that it won't matter what stitches I use.

It's definitely great for ribbing and moss stitch and the like. I used it for a few row of just purling and figured there was probably a better way, I just didn't think of one at the time. A dishcloth is a great thing to make while teaching yourself something new.

Marina1109
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
This is how I Continental Purl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNKGn_GLqg

The stitches do twist, but this is how I learned and you know how they say "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." :aww:

fatoldladyinpjs
04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I haven't figured it out yet but some people like it. You might try the combination purl and wrap the yarn backwards. It was easier in some ways when I was first learning and the stitches are tighter. It twists the stitches so you knit in the back loop to untwist them on the next row. As you're determined to get it, I'm sure you will. Something will work. I'll keep trying to do purls English style. I share your frustration.

How you hold the yarn in your left hand can make a difference too. Try different ways of doing it.

I was taught Continental knitting when I was a young girl by a gal who learned it from her German grandmother. Most Continental knitters use their left index finger. The girl taught me to use my middle finger. It took me a long time to figure out I had been doing it "wrong" all these years. I still use my middle finger. I find I can tension the yarn with my middle finger then lift the yarn up and to the front of the needle easily with my index finger. It makes switching back and forth between knit and purl easy.

artsy1
04-28-2013, 10:41 PM
this is the video that made the most sense to me,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7JS4hn1PY

never knew there were so many different ways to knit

HeathersHobbies
04-29-2013, 04:07 AM
I just can't get a good tension with the yarn if I use either my index finger or my middle finger so I have been using my thumb :)

GrumpyGramma
04-29-2013, 04:47 AM
Continental knitting demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY&feature=related)

She explains why she holds the yarn as she does. When I finally got the hang of holding the yarn this way my tension improved, my purls were more even, and my gauge from flat to circular was much closer. It takes a while to get to the purling but it's worth watching IMHO.

HeathersHobbies
04-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Continental knitting demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY&feature=related)

She explains why she holds the yarn as she does. When I finally got the hang of holding the yarn this way my tension improved, my purls were more even, and my gauge from flat to circular was much closer. It takes a while to get to the purling but it's worth watching IMHO.

Yeah I tried holding the yarn that way and I still can't get good tension. I just have to keep practicing.

GrumpyGramma
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
I hear you! I still can't purl English. My English knits are fine, the purls suck. :shrug:

HeathersHobbies
04-29-2013, 09:34 AM
I hear you! I still can't purl English. My English knits are fine, the purls suck. :shrug:

:roflhard:

We will get it eventually we have to just keep trying :)

GrumpyGramma
04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Just to overwhelm you some more...I just came across this, it's looks really weird, but hey! if it works for her then it just might work for someone else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuW-HdnlkmY

Becky Morgan
04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Just to overwhelm you some more...I just came across this, it's looks really weird, but hey! if it works for her then it just might work for someone else.

That's a lot like how I do it. Someone gave me a hint about holding the yarn way back on my index finger, and that works too, but it's such an ingrained habit to use my thumb.

HeathersHobbies
04-29-2013, 08:09 PM

OK now I have officially tried every possible way to purl and I still am having a little bit of trouble. I will get it somehow I will not give up :)

GrumpyGramma
04-29-2013, 08:12 PM
I might switch to Portuguese style.

salmonmac
04-30-2013, 05:30 AM
OK now I have officially tried every possible way to purl and I still am having a little bit of trouble. I will get it somehow I will not give up :)
That's the right attitude. Most of these methods are going to seem odd or uncomfortable at first. Pick one that appeals and try it for an all purl swatch or as long as it takes. Your persistence will pay off.

GrumpyGramma
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
"as long as it takes. Your persistence will pay off." Sounds like when we first learned to knit, doesn't it? I got to thinking about it. Since I can knit and purl one way my motivation to learn another isn't as great as when I couldn't do it any way.

HeathersHobbies
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
"as long as it takes. Your persistence will pay off." Sounds like when we first learned to knit, doesn't it? I got to thinking about it. Since I can knit and purl one way my motivation to learn another isn't as great as when I couldn't do it any way.

Today when I was finishing a scarf I went back to English knitting because I was getting frustrated. The reason I wanted to learn continental to begin with is because of a bonnet I was working on where it was k2 p2 and I was sick of wrapping the yarn back and forth it just was taking too long. I just have to stay motivated and keep at it. My stitches are so uneven it's like you said I am like a beginner again.

GrumpyGramma
04-30-2013, 02:48 PM
You really are learning something new. It's a totally different way to the same end. Try wrapping the purls backwards, maybe. That's a kind of combination knitting that makes tighter stitches. I've done it before and still sometimes will. If you mainly want to use Continental for ribbing, perfecting it as you have your English style really doesn't have to be the goal, a way that works is good enough. I haven't tried ribbing in English and don't think I will ever do it that way much. My main reason for learning English is to carry a 2nd color in my right hand to do stranded color work and that I can do with just knits. I may never be able to effectively purl English and I can live with that. Stay motivated, my friend, just don't let it make you crazy.

HeathersHobbies
04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
You really are learning something new. It's a totally different way to the same end. Try wrapping the purls backwards, maybe. That's a kind of combination knitting that makes tighter stitches. I've done it before and still sometimes will. If you mainly want to use Continental for ribbing, perfecting it as you have your English style really doesn't have to be the goal, a way that works is good enough. I haven't tried ribbing in English and don't think I will ever do it that way much. My main reason for learning English is to carry a 2nd color in my right hand to do stranded color work and that I can do with just knits. I may never be able to effectively purl English and I can live with that. Stay motivated, my friend, just don't let it make you crazy.

Too Late I am already Crazy :roflhard: So this will only make me crazier :)

artsy1
05-01-2013, 07:17 AM
i think of it as the scoop method, have tried to get photos to explain it, but they didn't come out clear- once you insert the needle in front, you scoop the yarn up throught the stitch, i never could figure out purling the other way, will try to get pics again- basically you need to play around and see what works for you
:knitting: