PDA

View Full Version : I'm a weather wuss

GrumpyGramma
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I gave in and bought a portable AC unit yesterday, the kind that doesn't go in the window but is vented at the window. I just got it set up in my BR and so far, with fans to push the cooled air around it's keeping the LR from heating up to an oven. When we get over 80F here and we're just about there now, my apt. turns into an oven. I could do w/o it today, just open the windows on the cooler side and use fans, but I wanted to test it out before we get into the 90s. If anyone has been thinking of getting one of these things, I'd say go for it! I might get a 2nd so I have one in the LR too. Even with the vent hose installed, if I don't need the AC I can still open the window and I didn't even have to remove the screen. Yes! The window units are made for double hung windows, y'know, and it's a real pain in ye olde arse to install one in a sliding window. I really will be glad not to have to mess with that again.

I succumbed because I get physically ill in hot weather. Yesterday it was about 84F and I was out and about and didn't realize, because I didn't really feel hot or sweaty because it was dry and breezy, that the heat was getting to me. I came home, ate some salt and drank a bunch of water and felt better very quickly. I must remember to keep my salt and fluid intakes up. If you get sick in the heat, do be careful, please.

N0obKnitter
05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
What the heck is a "double hung" window? :hiding:

GrumpyGramma
05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
What the heck is a "double hung" window? (http://www.soft-lite.com/education/what-is-a-double-hung-window.asp)

Picture included in link above. I only know because I've been around people who talked about them.

HeathersHobbies
05-06-2013, 04:18 PM
I have a portable a/c they are great. I live in a condo and our upstairs loft gets like an oven even though we have central air.

N0obKnitter
05-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh! We have the other kind. Our house is circa 1980. :O

Jan in CA
05-06-2013, 04:40 PM
We open windows and used a godawful number of fans for years. It's been getting hotter every summer though and I can't take it anymore. We broke down and got new ducting, forced air unit and central a/c. The heating and cooling can be turned on in just one room so it's easy to cool just the bedroom at night which is nice. Rainy today though.

My doc recently instructed me to only drink about 8 cups of water then drink Gatorade or another electrolyte drink. I add a bit of water to it so its tolerable.

I also have sliding windows.

GrumpyGramma
05-06-2013, 04:53 PM
To me Gatorade and the like taste nasty, like sweat, unless I need them. Then they're OK.

Hahah! I agree, but I did find one that is tolerable when diluted. It's called fruit punch. The other flavors are nasty. I plan to check other things out though.

justplaincharlotte
05-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Congrats on finding an easily used window unit, GG! There's not much worse than being sensitive to the heat in the warmer seasons, and I'm glad you've found a way to stay cool!

GrumpyGramma
05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
To me Gatorade and the like taste nasty, like sweat, unless I need them. Then they're OK.

Hahah! I agree, but I did find one that is tolerable when diluted. It's called fruit punch. The other flavors are nasty. I plan to check other things out though.

BTW, we almost got one of the portable a/c units before we did this. My house is too big for just one though and there was really no good way to vent it with the big sliding doors especially since they get used all the time.

Someone added to what I wrote.
To me Gatorade and the like taste nasty, like sweat, unless I need them. Then they're OK.was all I wrote.

GrumpyGramma
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Congrats on finding an easily used window unit, GG! There's not much worse than being sensitive to the heat in the warmer seasons, and I'm glad you've found a way to stay cool!

Thanks, Charlotte, but the point is that it's not a window unit. It vents out the window but the whole thing sits inside. There's a panel that goes in the window with a dryer vent thing on it and the dryer vent hose goes from the AC to the vent in the panel. This (http://www.lowes.com/pd_416709-37374-416709_4294749561_4294937087_?productId=4574780&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=) is it. With a window unit, I'd not be able to open and close the window when I want. It's not hot today, the window is open, nature's AC can do the job. :)

Ingrid
05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
If you can manage it, you should be comfortable in your own home. We used an attic fan for years which sucked cool night air through the windows at night and was wonderful, and kept the house cool for a good part of the day but didn't do much during the hot days. The bad part was that we all got addicted to the sound in order to sleep so we had to run it for the kids at least til they fell asleep well into September

When that broke we put in some window units and find that we only have to use them on the bleakest, most humid days. I don't mind the house being warm in the summer because, hey! its summer! When summer gets too full of itself we break down and turn on the ac. The rest of the time I put a small fan in the window blowing in the cooler night air and sleep better than when the ac is on. I think its because the AC cycles and changes sound while the fan is steady.

GrumpyGramma
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Sounds like my preferred way of doing things, Ingrid. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I didn't need to use the new fangled contraption again this year. I expect it will get hot enough that I will though. These apartments heat up like ovens, then kilns. If there were a window on the north end of the building it would help. Here in Western Washington lots of us don't do heat well, anything above 80F is hot.

Jan in CA
05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Someone added to what I wrote.
was all I wrote.

Ahhhhhhh!! That was me. I accidentally hit edit instead of quote.:blush:
I fixed it and put in this post. Sorry!

"BTW, we almost got one of the portable a/c units before we did this. My house is too big for just one though and there was really no good way to vent it with the big sliding doors especially since they get used all the time."

GrumpyGramma
05-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Ahhhhhhh!! That was me. I accidentally hit edit instead of quote.:blush:
I fixed it and put in this post. Sorry!

"BTW, we almost got one of the portable a/c units before we did this. My house is too big for just one though and there was really no good way to vent it with the big sliding doors especially since they get used all the time."

Thank you, Jan! Knowing it's "just one of those things" is all I need. I changed my password (paranoia reigns supreme!) just in case there was a real problem. You're an :angelgrin:.

I'm glad you got your AC. I can't imagine living where it really gets hot and not having any.

I could vent one at the slider as I'm on the 2nd floor and just put a stick in the bottom when I want it locked but opening and closing it a lot might be a problem. If I get a 2nd one my DS insists he vent it through the little LR window. He'll have to fabricate something that will fit. If I buy another one he's not, absolutely not! cutting the pieces down. Who knows where I might want to use it next?

N0obKnitter
05-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I love our attic fan. <3

Jan in CA
05-08-2013, 04:24 PM
We also have an attic fan. We've been here for 35 yrs this summer so we lived with fans and open windows for a very long time before we finally said enough. The last few years we've had temps over 100 F many more days than we used to. We have new double pane windows so now the house doesn't cool down easily and it's awful when it's over 80+.. Ugh.

GrumpyGramma
05-09-2013, 12:17 AM
I'd love an attic fan!

I got to thinking today: Why do I feel the need to justify trying to be a bit less miserable and actually not sick? I realized that I was treating my need for AC like a character flaw. I have enough of those without adding imaginary ones. Sheesh.

Jan in CA
05-09-2013, 01:01 AM
That's true, GG. It's not a character flaw! It DOES get harder to deal with the heat as we get older, too. :hug:

GrumpyGramma
05-09-2013, 01:05 AM
It DOES get harder to deal with the heat as we get older, too.

I'm not getting older. My DD's graduation was on what should have been my 40th birthday so I didn't have my birthday. Once you miss one like that, you never have another one. At 39, I'm younger than my SIL and in a few years will be younger than my DS. :mrgreen:

It's true, it's harder every year to deal with the heat and I never have done well in heat especially with humidity.

ABC's Mom
05-09-2013, 05:56 AM
I have a DD who lives in Texas and is also a 4 time Ironman racer. She trains in the Texas heat all year. When I complain about the "heat" here in Michigan she laughs at me.
We have central air as well as a whole house fan. I'd rather use the fan than the A/C but sometimes it doesn't cool off enough in the evenings later in the summer so all that happens is you move the warm, sticky air around so the A/C gets turned on instead.
I also was told by the furnace people to turn the furnace fan on run when it's warm outside and it will not only circulate the air in the house but pull the cooler air from the basement up into the house. That helps 3 ways, makes the house cooler, the basement a little warmer, and also helps the moisture level in the basement. Much cheaper then running either the house fan or the A/C.

Jan in CA
05-09-2013, 01:09 PM
We have a fan on our a/c as well, but there's no basements here in CA. Earthquake issues. Plus in some areas the ground just isn't suitable...sand, water, etc.

We turn a/c to 78 so it usually just comes on late in the day or evening. I think it only had to be on overnight a handful of times last year.

justplaincharlotte
05-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Charlotte, but the point is that it's not a window unit. It vents out the window but the whole thing sits inside. There's a panel that goes in the window with a dryer vent thing on it and the dryer vent hose goes from the AC to the vent in the panel. This (http://www.lowes.com/pd_416709-37374-416709_4294749561_4294937087_?productId=4574780&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=) is it. With a window unit, I'd not be able to open and close the window when I want. It's not hot today, the window is open, nature's AC can do the job. :)

Now that I've seen it, I get it! My brain was thinking... well, I guess I can't call what my brain was doing 'thinking'. ;)

GrumpyGramma
05-09-2013, 09:45 PM
When I first heard of these AC units, it made no sense to me. I had to see them too. :)

fatoldladyinpjs
05-11-2013, 12:21 AM
We also have an attic fan. We've been here for 35 yrs this summer so we lived with fans and open windows for a very long time before we finally said enough. The last few years we've had temps over 100 F many more days than we used to. We have new double pane windows so now the house doesn't cool down easily and it's awful when it's over 80+.. Ugh.

That's what my daughter was saying about Washington. They say anything above 70 or 80 is hot. She just moved back to Wisconsin. Don't know how my Washington born son in law will do in the heat this summer. The record was 98 last year.

GrumpyGramma
05-11-2013, 02:41 AM
My son spent several years in Kentucky. He is back in Washington now and does prefer this weather. My kids and I were born in Western Washington. I don't know how people survive where it's hot and humid all summer.

shadowfox118
05-11-2013, 02:46 AM
I hate hot humid summers... atleast in winter you can bundle up... in hot humid summers you just have to sweat

Jan in CA
05-11-2013, 02:48 AM
We don't have the humidity many places have thank goodness! However 5% humidity is awful for its own reasons! Can you say ITCHY!!?

GrumpyGramma
05-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Oh, Jan, I guess that would be itchy! In winter when it's humid it's hard to bundle up without feeling like I'm walking around in my own personal sauna. *light goes on* I now have a dehumidifier!

shadowfox118
05-11-2013, 02:53 AM
here in MD, specially inland towards where I live gets horridly humid... I love the winter though... curled up by the fire... I'm a winter baby

Jan in CA
05-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I've had people tell me we do get humid here especially in winter/spring with our overcast and fog, but because it's cool it just feels comfortable for the most part to us. Summer/fall gets hot and dry with the Santa Ana winds and extreme low humidity. Fortunately we often have beautiful weather to balance out the bad. ;)

justplaincharlotte
05-11-2013, 11:17 PM
My son spent several years in Kentucky. He is back in Washington now and does prefer this weather. My kids and I were born in Western Washington. I don't know how people survive where it's hot and humid all summer.

I grew up in New Orleans, and now live an hour east of there on the MS Gulf Coast. High 90's with 95% humidity is routine here mid-summer. A/C makes it tolerable. How anyone survived here without A/C is beyond me! The cold though, is a different matter entirely. I'm an unhappy camper wearing sweats when the temp dips below 60.

I'd be miserable living anywhere cooler, and always am whenever I travel to a cool locale. I guess it all depends on what we're used to.

shadowfox118
05-11-2013, 11:29 PM
i think it's personal preference to the cold or heat, half of my fellow students like cold temps in my algebra class, the other half love heat... i like being able to wear hoodies zipped up to my breastbone not low necklined, slim strapped tank tops/tee shirts when i'm outside

GrumpyGramma
05-11-2013, 11:53 PM
I grew up in New Orleans, and now live an hour east of there on the MS Gulf Coast. High 90's with 95% humidity is routine here mid-summer. A/C makes it tolerable. How anyone survived here without A/C is beyond me! The cold though, is a different matter entirely. I'm an unhappy camper wearing sweats when the temp dips below 60.

I'd be miserable living anywhere cooler, and always am whenever I travel to a cool locale. I guess it all depends on what we're used to.

Yeah, we :teehee: when people from warmer climes are here in the summer complaining of the cold because it's only 75F and how can anyone run around in shorts and tank tops when it's only 65F???!!!! As shadowfox says, it depends on what you're used to. I bet ya'll never wear socks and sandals. I think your weather would do me in.

Jan in CA
05-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Socks with sandals!? No, can't say I've ever done that. :teehee: I prefer it cooler. I can put more clothes on, but I can only take off so much. I don't wear tank tops anymore and even short sleeves are iffy.

GrumpyGramma
05-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Socks and Sandals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59fQ12OR0A)

While I'm at it. Goat Renter Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9jxa7T6WGQ)

PEMCO did some commercials I really liked but I'd not have insurance with them anymore. The company changed and I don't like them.

shadowfox118
05-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Socks with sandals!? No, can't say I've ever done that. :teehee: I prefer it cooler. I can put more clothes on, but I can only take off so much. I don't wear tank tops anymore and even short sleeves are iffy.
I'm the same way Jan, I like being able to bundle up to feel comfy, but in the summer it gets so hot and we can't go running around with nothing at all on... that would be hell on the girls for one

Jan in CA
05-12-2013, 12:58 AM
but in the summer it gets so hot and we can't go running around with nothing at all on... that would be hell on the girls for one

:teehee:

shadowfox118
05-12-2013, 01:17 AM
most people either love or hate how blunt I am, it's just who i am i guess! xD take me or leave me I exist!

N0obKnitter
05-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm the same way Jan, I like being able to bundle up to feel comfy, but in the summer it gets so hot and we can't go running around with nothing at all on... that would be hell on the girls for one

Winter = wear wool

Summer = can't peel your skin off (so hot, even being naked is insufficient.)

N0obKnitter
05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Almost 90f is the high today. EW!

Already 74f inside the house! Yuck! Ew!

I'm in a thin Indian skirt and a tank top. Toddler is in thin Hawaiian shorts. Baby is in a diaper, only.

Already feeling too warm. Argh. Dh will probably have to drag the uber heavy AC unit out of the garage. Way too early for this nonsense. Pollen count is at 10 (max is 12.) Achoo!

Jan in CA
05-13-2013, 01:42 PM
It was 95 outside yesterday and it's 10:40am and already 89. Based on my knowledge of years I'd say it's probably going to be close to 100 today. :zombie: I'll let you know the final high later today.

We turned on the a/c for the first time yesterday. I don't have it on yet, because it's 74 inside which is heavenly to me. When it gets to 78 a/c comes on.

GrumpyGramma
05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Wow. That's hot. :sun: Our current 65F is quite comfy. It's hard getting a nice cross breeze in here without umpteem fans because of the layout of the apt. but I'm hoping it will be weeks at least before I feel the need for AC, the fan on it by itself moves a lot of air and makes a breeze. I'm glad you have yours, we don't want you having heat stroke.:passedout: I'm glad others who live where it's often hot have theirs...hopefully installed and ready to go. It's hard on babies and old folks. We are not...I repeat not...old folks, Jan! We still have elders to respect. :)

N0obKnitter
05-13-2013, 05:52 PM
82f inside! I feel dizzy and a slight headache.

Going to be nearly 90f tomorrow. Gag. The pollen is 10, too. Dh and I are having allergic problems.

shadowfox118
05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
we're in a cool time... hopefully the weather persists, I wanna knit outside even if it messes with my sun sensitivity

Jan in CA
05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
It's 98.4 outside right now at 3pm. 78 inside and no a/c on yet. Our new vinyl double pane windows help with keeping the heat out in summer, but eventually I'll have to turn on a/c..probably shortly.

Rinse your face and arms in cool water and drink plenty of cold water, Laura. It helps. Do you keep the house closed up? Before a/c I'd open windows for a while in am to cool house then close up windows and drapes/blinds late am. It's like a cave, but helps keep house cooler longer.

GrumpyGramma
05-13-2013, 07:31 PM
82f inside! I feel dizzy and a slight headache.

Going to be nearly 90f tomorrow. Gag. The pollen is 10, too. Dh and I are having allergic problems.

I think you need sports drinks. Those are symptoms of too much heat. With little ones you can't risk it, so please, please, please, do be careful. Do whatever you can to keep as close to cool as possible. You really need that AC running in weather like that.

Jan in CA
05-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Agreed!

N0obKnitter
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
We don't have sports drinks, I'm drinking water and resting. Nursing DD a lot and put a wet, cool cloth on her. Giving ds lots of water. It's 81F outside, turned on the attic fan. I hope dh puts the ac in the window - it's going to be 88F+ tomorrow.

I wonder how my ancestors dealt with heat - they lived in north Idaho and east Montana, also Spokane.

GrumpyGramma
05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
We can make our own! This is the simplest recipe I found.

Electrolyte Water Recipe (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/electrolyte-water-recipe)

Ingredients

1 liter of water
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 tbsp of agave nectar
1/2 tbsp of sea salt

Directions

Combine all ingredients in water bottle and sip during workout as needed.

Many call for fresh-squeezed orange juice, one recipe said sub frozen concentrate. One said only use distilled water. Some call for honey; others, sugar.:shrug: None I came across said to use atificial sweeteners. I think it depends on how picky you want to get. My usual habit is to eat some salt out of my hand or put some in a glass of water. If it tastes oh, yum, delicious! then I need it. I suffered for many years because I needed salt but all medical advice is to cut back. I've come across a number of references to ill effects of salt restriction lately.

Jan in CA
05-14-2013, 01:40 AM
After my hospital visit last week I was instructed to drink only the 8 C or so suggested then drink some electrolyte drink. I've been using 1 C of Gatorade with 1/2-1 C of water.

Most electrolyte drinks have sodium and potassium. If you must have sweetener in that recipe then I'd go with OJ.

N0obKnitter
05-14-2013, 09:28 AM
We have pickles. Lol, if I need sodium....ooooh veggie burger pattie with pickles on it! :inlove:

Can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet?

Perigrian
05-16-2013, 04:30 PM
I hope you feel cooler!!

N0obKnitter
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
79f inside the house again. Blech.