PDA

View Full Version : WIP: First time Socks

HeathersHobbies
05-08-2013, 06:00 AM
This is the first time I am making socks. Also, the first time I am using dpns. It was a little awkward at first but I think I am getting the hang of it. I am making the Easy Peasy socks pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-peasy-socks-for-first-timers)
I watched all the videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSFaGpmVSw)
I am using Chroma Worsted from knitpicks I can't think of the name of the color I am using lol

Here is my progress so far

Yes I messed up and did 2x2 ribbing instead of k1p1 so I just kept it that way lol
I was watching Amy's video and she did 2x2 ribbing so I just had that on the brain.

salmonmac
05-08-2013, 06:28 AM
These are going to be beautiful I'm sure. You've made an excellant start and the work on dpns looks great. It's a lovely soft color combination too. What fun to knit with.

HeathersHobbies
05-08-2013, 08:50 AM
These are going to be beautiful I'm sure. You've made an excellant start and the work on dpns looks great. It's a lovely soft color combination too. What fun to knit with.

Thanks :) I was so excited that I figured out how to use the dpns correctly that I came on here to show everyone. It took me longer to take the pictures and then post the links and the pictures than it did to actually make that. :roflhard:
I showed my husband but he just looked at me like I had three heads.

nonny2t
05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Doing a great job. I think 2 x 2 is better anyway. Am anxious to see the finished project. Let us know if you hit any bumps! Good luck, it took me 8 years to get up the courage to do a pair of socks. I found a pattern that was so easy it got me going and from there on it, I was hooked on socks.

GrumpyGramma
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
You're doing great with DPNs. Love the colors of your yarn. They're for you? When they're done just put them on when hubby's around, sigh, and say how good they feel. I know what you mean about getting so exciited, I'm glad you posted with a photo. I use 2x2 rib on socks, it's great you could just go with it and not feel the need to rip it out. :thumbsup:

HeathersHobbies
05-08-2013, 10:47 AM
You're doing great with DPNs. Love the colors of your yarn. They're for you? When they're done just put them on when hubby's around, sigh, and say how good they feel. I know what you mean about getting so exciited, I'm glad you posted with a photo. I use 2x2 rib on socks, it's great you could just go with it and not feel the need to rip it out. :thumbsup:

I have huge feet and they say to start with a smaller foot for first socks so I am making them for my MIL. She loves those colors.

I am not that OCD anymore to rip it out and start all over to make it perfect. I am medicated now :roflhard:

GrumpyGramma
05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Did you already tell MIL they're for her? If not, you can just make them longer till they fit you. Assuming of course that they fit around your foot. My first socks were for my 9 1/2 shoe size feet but I did them in worsted weight and wear them like slippers. They will go in my winter boots but I only wear them in the winter when it's really cold out and maybe snowy and last winter I didn't wear them at all.

ABC's Mom
05-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Love the colors!!! I haven't gotten up the courage to try socks yet. So many projects to do and soooo little time!!! Maybe when I retire I'll catch up on all the things I've been planning on making.:teehee:

HeathersHobbies
05-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Did you already tell MIL they're for her? If not, you can just make them longer till they fit you. Assuming of course that they fit around your foot. My first socks were for my 9 1/2 shoe size feet but I did them in worsted weight and wear them like slippers. They will go in my winter boots but I only wear them in the winter when it's really cold out and maybe snowy and last winter I didn't wear them at all.

No I didn't tell her yet. My feet are huge lol I am a size 12. So I would have to follow a pattern for men's socks.

GrumpyGramma
05-08-2013, 03:06 PM
If the circumference is OK all you need to do is make them longer by working more rounds.

HeathersHobbies
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I don't know they are looking really small. I checked my gauge and I was spot on so I don't know why they are looking so small.

GrumpyGramma
05-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I d/l and looked at the pattern. It will work out to about 6 1/2" around in stockinette. It's not specified that I can see but I'd think the gauge would be in stockinette. I measured a pair of socks I :heart: that I worked in stockinette with fingering weight yarn and they're about 7" in circumference. These will be really nice when you get them done and stretchy enough that even though they seem small they'll fit your MIL. I think my worsted weight socks took about that many stitches but it's been a while and I didn't keep notes.

I think I'll stick with toe-up no swatch Lifestyle socks. Those don't look easy peasy to me. You're much braver than I!

ad2knit
05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
I tried socks 2 years ago...they were the reason I took a break from knitting for 2 years..I don't know if it was the dpns itself, or the material of the DPNS ( I used bamboo then) or if it was just me....but using them made my hands, shoulders and arms hurt. Maybe I'll try again this summer after I finish with these baby projects and with plastic dpns. I use plastic straights to knit right now.

But yours look really good by the way :) Keep at it. well done.

HeathersHobbies
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I d/l and looked at the pattern. It will work out to about 6 1/2" around in stockinette. It's not specified that I can see but I'd think the gauge would be in stockinette. I measured a pair of socks I :heart: that I worked in stockinette with fingering weight yarn and they're about 7" in circumference. These will be really nice when you get them done and stretchy enough that even though they seem small they'll fit your MIL. I think my worsted weight socks took about that many stitches but it's been a while and I didn't keep notes.

I think I'll stick with toe-up no swatch Lifestyle socks. Those don't look easy peasy to me. You're much braver than I!

Well As I am working on it, it is looking a bit bigger. I think just the ankle looks really small.

I can't wait to finish them now. I just got some more yarn in the mail to make more socks :teehee:

HeathersHobbies
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I tried socks 2 years ago...they were the reason I took a break from knitting for 2 years..I don't know if it was the dpns itself, or the material of the DPNS ( I used bamboo then) or if it was just me....but using them made my hands, shoulders and arms hurt. Maybe I'll try again this summer after I finish with these baby projects and with plastic dpns. I use plastic straights to knit right now.

But yours look really good by the way :) Keep at it. well done.

Thanks! :)
I knit English style and I am not having any pain. It's when I try to knit continental that is when my fingers start to hurt.

Maybe, you should try a different style of knitting.

ad2knit
05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks! :)
I knit English style and I am not having any pain. It's when I try to knit continental that is when my fingers start to hurt.

Maybe, you should try a different style of knitting. i knit english too. Im not having pain right now - alls good.

justplaincharlotte
05-09-2013, 09:35 PM
What a beautiful colorway of Chroma! You've made an excellent start, and I look forward to seeing the rest of Easy-Peasy sock #1. :thumbsup:

HeathersHobbies
05-10-2013, 06:51 AM
The only problem I am having is laddering. I tried tightening up the stitches on the start of the new needle but it's still happening. It's not that noticeable until you stretch out the material. It's my first pair so I am not going to fret over it :)

GrumpyGramma
05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
The only problem I am having is laddering. I tried tightening up the stitches on the start of the new needle but it's still happening. It's not that noticeable until you stretch out the material. It's my first pair so I am not going to fret over it :)

You've discovered a design feature! I have a pair that has laddering and I decided that it's a design feature. It really doesn't look bad, it's just not what I'd originally intended.

HeathersHobbies
05-10-2013, 06:04 PM
You've discovered a design feature! I have a pair that has laddering and I decided that it's a design feature. It really doesn't look bad, it's just not what I'd originally intended.

:teehee: Well it's on the bottom of the foot so I am not too worried.

GrumpyGramma
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
You could try working the end stitches twisted to tighten them, then just make sure you untwist them on the next row when you twist those stitches.

HeathersHobbies
05-11-2013, 06:54 AM
How do you twist the stitches?

GrumpyGramma
05-11-2013, 10:37 AM
If you wrap the yarn opposite to what you normally do it will produce a twisted stitch.

HeathersHobbies
05-11-2013, 07:27 PM

I messed up the toe because the yarn broke while I was doing the Kitchener stitch. But other wise I think it came out ok.

GrumpyGramma
05-12-2013, 01:10 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

ArtLady1981
05-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Ooooooooo, I really LOVE that yarn! Best wishes on your socks! so far, so good!

HeathersHobbies
05-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Thanks Artlady! :)

I am working the gusset on the second sock now. I have been tightening up my stitches on the joins so I don't ladder this time. Then once I am finished with these it's off to my second pair which is gonna be for me :) I am gonna have to use larger needles because I have huge feet :teehee:

N0obKnitter
05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
I measured mine (big piece of paper and a crayon.) 10.freaking.inches. O.o

Woodi
05-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Love, love, love the colours! Hope you enjoy knitting socks as much as I did when I first started sock knitting, a few years ago. I was so happy with my first pair that I made 5 more pairs, gave them all away as gifts.

Enjoy! and please post more pics as you go.

Jan in CA
05-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Those are beautiful!

butlersabroad
05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh that looks great and congrats on becoming a sock knitter. As to the laddering, my first ever pair were quite noticeable, but it got much better, mostly because I was more sure of what I was doing, was more relaxed and had better tension. It'll get better with practice so don't fret over it. :woohoo:

Jan in CA
05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Forgot to say...larger needles are not a good idea. Socks that have a fairly tight gauge last longer and feel smoother on feet so increasing the size of the pattern is better.

Also.. Toe ups get less laddering I think.

GrumpyGramma
05-15-2013, 06:01 PM
I agree with Jan about the larger needles not working out as well as increasing the number of stitches. Want to know a secret? You can make socks without a pattern. My method is from Lifestyle Socks (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lifestyle-toe-up-socks---no-swatch-needed), and there are other "recipes" for socks you can look at and choose from. With toe-up, once you learn the cast on you're going to use you can increase to the size that fits you, then just knit, knit, knit until it's time to turn the heel. You don't have to worry about running out of yarn either; once the foot's done you can make the cuff as tall or short as you want or until you run out of yarn. Socks are addictive and fun. Whatever method you end up using, have fun and happy knitting! Your toes will :heart: love :heart: you.

justplaincharlotte
05-15-2013, 06:09 PM
:yay: What a pretty sock! :yay: