PDA

View Full Version : Long Kimono Vest question

JLonier
05-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Hiyas,

Been gone from the forums for ages working on the "swirl" from the book "Knit Swirl". Had to frog and restart it twice so it's taken several months. Am finally blocking it right now! Yay!

So, I'm picking up the kimono vest I started months ago and am cornfused about the directions. I actually called Crystal Palace Yarns and they're closed Fri-Mon... naturally ><.

Pattern is here http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/merino5-kimonoVest.html

I am probably being very dense. I am at the armhole part. Says, "Place removable marker at beg and end of row to mark beg of armhole. Work in pattern until armhole measures... " and there it completely loses me. There's no casting on of additional stitches so I don't see how placing markers at the beg and end of the row does anything at all. No magical armhole will develop from placing markers at the beginning and ending of the row it just continues to form the back piece.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thank you!

JLonier
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Reading the blog from Raverly it looks like she just knitted each piece and put it together. Which is what I was going to do until I started reading the directions and confused myself. *sigh*

ArtLady1981
05-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I know why it's asking for the removable stitch markers are placed at each end of the row when the armholes begin.

It's because you are then asked to knit the armholes until they measure so many inches.
You'll use those stitch markers only for the sake of this measurement requirement.

It states:
(Work in patt until armhole measures 9 (9 1/2, 10, 10 1/2, 11, 11 1/2, 12 1/2)")

ArtLady1981
05-10-2013, 05:50 PM
BTW, I love love love this Kimono Vest!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

salmonmac
05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Sometimes it helps to keep reading the directions because they may explain what the armhole markers are for. In this case, they strictly act as a marker on the front and back. You can then pick up sts from the back marker, over the shoulder to the front marker for the sleeve (in fact you're right, sadly no magic sleeves appear).
Spectacular looking vest. Please do let us see it finished.