PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tank Of Many Colors Pattern

Nanaof6
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
While I found this pattern fairly easy to follow there were questions I had on the Binding off of armpit sts and and shoulder and neck sts.
Like, Shape Armholes: Bind off 3(4-5-7) sts at beg of next 4 rows then 3(4-6-8) sts at beg of the next 2 rows.
I found this confusing ,I'm use to when you BO you cut the last bind off st and pull it through, at first I did the BO of the sts without cutting the last bo sts but this left me with one extra st in my over all st counts. Then I frogged back and did the BO and cut the last bo st and I ended up with a very jagged edge ,step like edge. Some one suggested slipping the first stitch but you still get the very uneven edge line and itís hard to smooth it out even with a crocheted sc st.Which is the right way to do this and why?
I went looking for a tank top pattern that doesnít use this weird BO but it seems it is in a lot of patternshttp://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8383/1001074c.jpg

Nanaof6
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I want to make another one but not until I know what and how I should be doing these many bind offs

Dclutterchique
05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
While I found this pattern fairly easy to follow there were questions I had on the Binding off of armpit sts and and shoulder and neck sts.
Like, Shape Armholes: Bind off 3(4-5-7) sts at beg of next 4 rows then 3(4-6-8) sts at beg of the next 2 rows.
I found this confusing ,I'm use to when you BO you cut the last bind off st and pull it through, at first I did the BO of the sts without cutting the last bo sts but this left me with one extra st in my over all st counts. Then I frogged back and did the BO and cut the last bo st and I ended up with a very jagged edge ,step like edge. Some one suggested slipping the first stitch but you still get the very uneven edge line and it’s hard to smooth it out even with a crocheted sc st.Which is the right way to do this and why?
I went looking for a tank top pattern that doesn’t use this weird BO but it seems it is in a lot of patterns

Hello, Nanaof6.

Having read your post you appear to have 2 different problems with your bind off. The 1st is your bound off stitch count and the 2nd is the 'stair step' effect.

To solve the stitch count problem rember that every time you pass a stitch over that counts as a bound off stitch. This means K2 pass one over is one bound off stitch and doing another K1 pass one over means you have bound off 2 stitches, although you have knitted 3 stitches at this stage.

Because you know how many stitches you have when you begin a bind off row and how many you should have when you finish that row don't be afraid to count your stitches after doing your bind offs and before knitting the rest of the row. So, if you start with 20 stitches and need to bind off 3 stitches, bind off 3 stitches and count the remaining ones to make sure you have 1 stitch on your right needle and 16 stitches on your left needle. If you don't you can make your correction before finishing knitting that row. If you do you can finish knitting that row. Don't cut the yarn and pull through, when you have more knitting to do, you'll only have to rejoin it in and make unnecessary work for yourself. I also think this could be making the 'stair step' or jagged edge problem even worse.

When binding off over a few rows you can use different strategies for different situations.

If you are going to 'pick up and knit' that part of the garment later (eg do ribbing for an arm band or neck band I would cast off and carry on knitting normally as the ribbing will smooth out any jagged edging.

If you are binding off a part of the garment that is to be seamed, eg shoulder seam, you can done one of the following:

1) Cast off and continue knitting normally. Then seam to the matching piece, when finished.

2) Do the Sloping Bind Off as shown by Amy in the Binding Off section of the Free Videos. The instructions do seem a little confusing, but if you practise with a swatch 1st it will make more sense.

3) Check the instructions to make sure you are binding off the same number of stitches at the same point for both pieces and do a 3 needle Bind Off.

I don't think slipping the 1st stitch will help and, as you found, may make things harder for you.

Finally, (sorry to depress you) in the world of knitting patterns what you described is a normal bind off for most tops, which explains your problem finding an alternative.

GrumpyGramma
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
You could consider short row shaping, it might help, but I think you'll still need to do some binding off. I'm not sure how it would work out. I need to look into it as I want to knit some tanks. I'll have to read the Julie's post more carefully later, I don't have the time right now.

Nanaof6
05-17-2013, 12:47 AM
What is the difference between a Bind Off and a Cast Off? I youtubed a video and watch it but I really do not see what the difference is other then the wording of the two.

So what your saying is I should Not bind off the last stitch by cutting it ? But then I end up with and extra stitch and it throws the total amount of stitches that I should have on my needle off by one stitch as I go.

The pattern is on Berroco's site 'Tank Of Many Colors' if you could look at it ,it might help explain what I am talking about.

GrumpyGramma
05-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Bind off and cast off are the same thing.

OK, I just reread your original post. I'm trying to understand why you were cutting yarn. If you BO the stitches at the beginning of the row, you just continue knitting across as normal. Did you BO at the end instead? You work to the end of the row, turn, do your BO, then just knit across. No yarn to cut. The count being off is a matter of counting the BO sts correctly which I've had problems with in the past. Julie explains how to count them, above. The loop left on your needle after the last BO st counts as the first st as you continue on.

Nanaof6
05-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I have never knitted a tank top before this and the Bind Offs confused me because prior to this pattern, my bind offs were what I did on shawl, dishcloths,etc,bind off and cut yarn from ball and pull yarn through last loop and weave in end.

GrumpyGramma
05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Oh, do I understand! I encountered the same problems. Others came to my rescue and I won't know until I get there again if I really understand now. Such is knitting! I've used stitch markers to keep me on count with my BO. That might help you too. I think I'm going to try short row shaping for the armhole when I do a tank. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.

Nanaof6
05-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Oh, do I understand! I encountered the same problems. Others came to my rescue and I won't know until I get there again if I really understand now. Such is knitting! I've used stitch markers to keep me on count with my BO. That might help you too. I think I'm going to try short row shaping for the armhole when I do a tank. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.

Please let me know about using Short Rows for armholes. I am out in left field on that one:shrug:

I'm so trained to just follow the written pattern so I do not even try to take another idea and change the written pattern, but I do want to learn. So when and were and how do you do the short row for armholes?

Dclutterchique
05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
What is the difference between a Bind Off and a Cast Off? I youtubed a video and watch it but I really do not see what the difference is other then the wording of the two.

So what your saying is I should Not bind off the last stitch by cutting it ? But then I end up with and extra stitch and it throws the total amount of stitches that I should have on my needle off by one stitch as I go.

The pattern is on Berroco's site 'Tank Of Many Colors' if you could look at it ,it might help explain what I am talking about.

Bind off and cast off are the same thing.

OK, I just reread your original post. I'm trying to understand why you were cutting yarn. If you BO the stitches at the beginning of the row, you just continue knitting across as normal. Did you BO at the end instead? You work to the end of the row, turn, do your BO, then just knit across. No yarn to cut. The count being off is a matter of counting the BO sts correctly which I've had problems with in the past. Julie explains how to count them, above. The loop left on your needle after the last BO st counts as the first st as you continue on.

Yes, GG is correct, Cast off and Bind off are the same thing. Cast off is UK English and Bind off is USA English. Being British I use the term cast off by default.

I should have been clearer in saying that you don't pull the yarn through the last bind off stitch when you have more knitting to do, but carry on knitting. I've edited my 1st post to show this. Unless the instructions tell you to cut the yarn you only pull the yarn through the last stitch and cut it when it really is the last stitch.

Again GG is correct to say (and I forgot to mention) that you never bind off at the end off a row, otherwise you end up with an 'orphan' stitch on the next row. You can bind off at the begining of a row, in the middle of a row or across a complete row, but never at the end of a row.

GrumpyGramma
05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Julie, thanks. I think your post was pretty clear, I just happened to think of a couple of details. I've thought that the use of bind off here in the U.S. might be because of abbreviations, CO and BO don't get confused. :shrug: When I see either term I know what it means.

As for short row shaping, I found this: SWEATER FINISHING 101-Part 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUtWW_RbVw). I found a lot of useful info in the series of videos she did. In this video she shows the short row shaping on a sleeve but I don't see why it wouldn't work on an armhole. I've not tried it yet. I think it could eliminate the underarm BO (oh, I don't like that! Cast off is better there!) She does W&T, I would use German short rows. Whoever tries it first should report back! If I find anymore info, videos or written, I'll post it somewhere. As for straying from a pattern, if I knit for me I have to alter the pattern anyhow so what's a little more straying? I can always frog and fix.

Nanaof6
05-17-2013, 09:43 PM
OMG! thank you so much for the link for short rows. I am going to use this on my shoulder edge rather than the BO as the pattern calls for!!! It should seam up so much nicer then. I'll have to youtube your German short rows, never heard of it.

But can I use the short row method for the Bind Offs at the (Shape Armholes) and at the (Shape Neck) instructions? If the answer is yes , how do I do that? The piece is work knitting front panel first then the back panel. Not in the round.

Instructions for armhole says, Bind Off 4 sts at beg of next 4 rows,then 4 sts at beg of the next 2 rows. not sure how to attack the short row here.

Also Instruction for neck says, k26, join another ball of yarn and bind off center 25 sts, k to end.Working both sides at once, work 1 row even, then bind off 4 sts at each neck edge once.Dec 2 sts at each neck edge on every other row (rs) 5 times.

Before the last sentence of Dec of 2 sts at each neck edge on every other row (rs) 5 times I should have 26 shoulder stitches for each shoulder decreasing down to 12 on each shoulder, although I would like to have a wider shoulder strap to hide my OMG bra straps.

Can you help me with this to use the short rows?

GrumpyGramma
05-17-2013, 10:29 PM
I googled knitting armhole shaping with short rows (https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=knitting+armhole+shaping+with+short+rows&oq=knitting+armhole+shaping+with+short+rows&gs_l=hp.3...466.8601.0.8829.40.35.0.5.5.0.327.5844 .0j30j3j2.35.0...0.0...1c.1.14.psy-ab.3eh0ZMxG0eg&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.cGE&fp=971358f394a5c89c&biw=1178&bih=647) and found Tutorial: Short row bind-offs (http://platinumknits.com/knits/3). You might come up with better search terms. If you find something else, let us know, please, it seems we're all on the same quest. Nicer armholes and less BO is our Holy Grail! :teehee:

Short rows. Jan posted a link to a video in Do we have to be good at everything? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113181&highlight=provisional) post #6. It's for heels but the method for turning might work in this application. German Short Rows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6n561SMZXQ) video, there are two parts of it. I learned about GSR here, others use this method too. If you find a better way, I want to know!

Nanaof6
05-17-2013, 10:38 PM
You rock! Thank you again, going to look in to! Now if I could only wrap my head around this short row thing I'll be all set!

salmonmac
05-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Wonderful video and tutorial links, GG! This is a nice way of getting the sloped bind off too and maybe it'll help. From the bind off videos here at KH:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/sloped-bind-off-english

Dclutterchique
05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Julie, thanks. I think your post was pretty clear, I just happened to think of a couple of details. I've thought that the use of bind off here in the U.S. might be because of abbreviations, CO and BO don't get confused. :shrug: When I see either term I know what it means.

As for short row shaping, I found this: SWEATER FINISHING 101-Part 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUtWW_RbVw). I found a lot of useful info in the series of videos she did. In this video she shows the short row shaping on a sleeve but I don't see why it wouldn't work on an armhole. I've not tried it yet. I think it could eliminate the underarm BO (oh, I don't like that! Cast off is better there!) She does W&T, I would use German short rows. Whoever tries it first should report back! If I find anymore info, videos or written, I'll post it somewhere. As for straying from a pattern, if I knit for me I have to alter the pattern anyhow so what's a little more straying? I can always frog and fix.

I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere (pre-internet) the term bind off being used as the American verision of cast off, but I can't be certain.

To me the logic behind the UK term is if one casts on to get the stiches securely on the needles to start knitting then one casts off the stitches to get then safely off the needles to finish knitting. Whereas, to me, the logic behind the US term is that one is binding, or making fast/secure, the stitches while removing them from the needles.

When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they meant "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene.":teehee:

Dclutterchique
05-18-2013, 09:03 AM
You rock! Thank you again, going to look in to! Now if I could only wrap my head around this short row thing I'll be all set!

I have every faith that you will be able to 'wrap my head around this short row thing'.

GrumpyGramma has given links to quite a few different ways of doing short rows. So I would sit down with some spare yarn and needles, watch the videos and do some practice swatches to find out what works for you, before starting your tank top.

GrumpyGramma
05-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Wonderful video and tutorial links, GG! This is a nice way of getting the sloped bind off too and maybe it'll help. From the bind off videos here at KH:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/sloped-bind-off-english

I didn't even know that Amy's video was there! I like that. I wish they came up in the youtube and Google searches I do. I've heard it said that those who can, do, those who can't teach (not really true, I'm sure, the best teachers are those who can and do) but I wonder if in knitting, those who can, do and I get bogged down in trying to find ways to do but not ever really doing. *sigh*

I'm glad you started this thread, Nana.

When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they ment "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene."
Uh, yeah, I know what you mean. :roflhard: I see your reasoning in why one term or the other, but I would be so much more confused if CO meant start and finish. Context, context, context. :wink: Eventually we can overcome any common language differences. Knit on!

Nanaof6
05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they ment "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene.":teehee::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: So what do the UK's call it when you CO / cast on or do they use the same term and if they do how do you decipher CO cast on from CO cast off:shrug:

Dclutterchique
05-18-2013, 03:59 PM
I didn't even know that Amy's video was there! I like that. I wish they came up in the youtube and Google searches I do. I've heard it said that those who can, do, those who can't teach (not really true, I'm sure, the best teachers are those who can and do) but I wonder if in knitting, those who can, do and I get bogged down in trying to find ways to do but not ever really doing. *sigh*

I'm glad you started this thread, Nana.

When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they ment "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene."
Uh, yeah, I know what you mean. :roflhard: I see your reasoning in why one term or the other, but I would be so much more confused if CO meant start and finish. Context, context, context. :wink: Eventually we can overcome any common language differences. Knit on!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: So what do the UK's call it when you CO / cast on or do they use the same term and if they do how do you decipher CO cast on from CO cast off:shrug:

To be honest, I'd never come across the abbreviation CO to mean cast on before reading this site. Until then any patterns or knitting information I read used the terms cast on and cast off, as appropriate.

GrumpyGramma
05-18-2013, 04:10 PM
No wonder some clamor for standardized terminology. Oh, well, knitting goes on. :)

Dclutterchique
05-18-2013, 04:50 PM
No wonder some clamor for standardized terminology. Oh, well, knitting goes on. :)
Or even clamour for standardized spelling.:p

Like a lot of other people here, I've soon picked up the American/British differences in terminology. So Americans will check their gauge, then knit in seed stich, moss stitch and stockinette stitch before binding off, but Britons will check their tension, then knit in moss stitch, double (or Irish) moss stich and stocking stitch before casting off.

Nanaof6
05-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Found this interesting it's called Japanese Short Rows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnMnsCV3VLo

GrumpyGramma
05-19-2013, 08:47 PM
I've seen the Japanese short rows before. I think they look really good. They lost me with the first pin. I might be able to handle using them like that but so far haven't bothered. If you use them and love them, let me know, OK? I'll be more motivated to try them.

Nanaof6
05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Before I move on , on this Tank Top, please tell me if I am doing this right or wrong.

Inc Row (RS): K2, M1k, k to last 2 sts, M1k, k2. Rep this inc every other RS row 4 times more Ė 105(117-127-143) sts. Work even in St st until piece measures 12-1/2" from beg, end on WS.

I understand the first part but I'm not sure on the second sentence [Rep this inc every other RS row 4 times more] Ok on my first attempt on this same pattern (first photo post) when I got to this part what I did was, followed the first sentence and then on the second sentence i repeated the inc every other right side row as followed from beg first sentence. k2,m1k,k to last 2 sts,m1k, k2, next purl the purl side, knit the knit side ,purl purl side,then do the inc row . So what I did was only inc every other (RS Row) is that right or should I be purling one row (WS) then increasing the next row (RS) alternating in this pattern?

GrumpyGramma
05-20-2013, 08:38 PM
As I read it, the way you did it is what it says. That's the point at narrowing for the waist shaping, isn't it? The gradual decrease seems right. Did the shaping work right the first time? If it did, do it the same way again. If you're not happy with it, do it whatever way works out best for you. That's my take on it.

Nanaof6
05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
As I read it, the way you did it is what it says. That's the point at narrowing for the waist shaping, isn't it? The gradual decrease seems right. Did the shaping work right the first time? If it did, do it the same way again. If you're not happy with it, do it whatever way works out best for you. That's my take on it.

Yes it's the waist shaping, it seems ok on the first top. But I wasn't sure if I was reading it right

GrumpyGramma
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I think you're reading it right. If it works, then it's right, right? Of course, right! I've decided that sometimes when we do our best to interpret the written instructions all that really matters in the end is, did it work out to my liking.

I'm working on an Amelia Earhart Aviator Cap pattern and it's written so weirdly that all I can do with it is get stitch and row counts and check every now and then to see that I'm still on track. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! If I finish this hat and decide to do another, I'll rewrite the pattern. Patterns are a starting point.

Nanaof6
05-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I saw that pattern,knitted it reminds me of an Amish hat the women would wear.

I am getting close to the armhole binding off instructions now and will follow Julie's advice.

I think my brain is working overtime because I have this urge to want to change two things on this pattern but I don't have enough experience of knitting to do it. I added a few rows of Garter sts at the bottom edge before starting into stockinette sts because I didn't like the rolled hem on my first on ,which I went back later on that one and added the garter edge so it didn't roll. Now I'm thinking that at that running along armhole edge this sts pattern would look good. The following are instructions are from a vest pattern I knitted ,but I don't know how to incorporate it into the armhole instructions on this pattern ,is that possible to do? Also would like to mimic this look into the next line front and back......you know it just hit me if I could do this I would be slash we would be coming up with a new pattern idea!

( Right front side)
row 1- k4,ssk,k to end .
row 2- k4,p to last 4 sts,k4.
row 3- knit row .
row 4- k4,p to last 4 sts,k4

(left front side)
row 1-k to last 6 sts, k2tog,k4.
row 2- k4, p to last 4 sts,k4
row 3-knit
row 4-k4,p to last 4 sts,k4.

One other thing, what if I just knitted the neck line front and back and shoulder straps in a few rows of Garter sts? Can I do that? Than would match the edging at the bottom then.

GrumpyGramma
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, or an old fashioned swimming cap. I thought for someone who might go bald it should be comfortable. I'm about ready to ditch it though because I just keep getting messed up for no real reason. That's me, not the pattern. I wish I could blame the pattern.

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 11:57 AM
This pattern is just making me:hair:Everything was going great until I got to the Shape Neck instructions :wall:

k26 (shoulder sts), join another hank of yarn and bind off 25 sts (neck line sts), k to end . working both sides at once, work 1 row even, then bind off 4 sts at each neck edge once.

I frogged this twice at 3 in the morning trying to make it look right :waah: no matter what I do I end up with this hole on the 4 sts bind off at the first neck edge bind off, the other side looks great though, what am I doing wrong:shrug: when I knitted the first 26 sts and then join the other ball of yarn I did the neck bind off and knitted the other 26 shoulder sts turned my work and purled 1 row even (all good so far) next row (rs) I had to work the neck edge BO OF 4 sts at each edge.

But below is how it looks . notice the bind off on the left side ,when I turn this piece to work the next row I will have had to of cut that bind off thread but you told me not to cut it:shrug: plus why am I getting one side nice and the other nasty looking? http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1426/1001167qn.jpg

salmonmac
05-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes, there is always that weak gap on the right side unless you do something to prevent it in the first place. Most of the time the gap is covered and reinforced when you add a collar but if there isn't one, then you need to follow this (or a similar) method. Here's a step-by-step on how to do that (http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2008/12/ordinary-chain-bind-off-part-2a-binding.html).
The bind off of 4 sts at the neck edge with the single orphan stitch is due to binding off at the end of the row. Even though the pattern implies bind off on the same row, don't do that. You should bind off at the beginning of the row. The bind offs will be off-set by a row but it honestly won't be noticeable. It's only a small fraction of an inch difference.
Test out the initial bind off on a swatch until you're happy with the technique and all will be well. You've done marvelously well so far and you're almost there.

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
this is the first neck bind off edge. Remember the 25 bind off sts were already done by this time and now it doesn't blend in at all like the other neck bo edge does

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/426/1001178i.jpg

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 12:26 PM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1944/1001174kz.jpg

salmonmac
05-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Do the bind off of 4sts on that side at the beginning of the WS row. That'll put it a row earlier and help it blend in (see also post 32). You can also use Amy's trick for sloped edges here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/sloped-bind-off-english).

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm frogging back , so when I get to (work 1 row even, then bind off 4 sts at each neck edge once.) I should just knit the first 26 shoulder sts not doing the 4sts of BO then bind off the first 4sts on the next shoulder (rs) knit to end , turn purl back and when I get to the shoulder that I didn't do the 4sts of bind off I do them then, on the purl side?

salmonmac
05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, that's it. If you still think there's too much of a jog at that neck edge, you could start the bind off of 4sts on that side even earlier, when you're knitting the "work 1 row even". I know you won't have a full row worked but you may be happier about the slope at the neck edge.

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Yes, that's it. If you still think there's too much of a jog at that neck edge, you could start the bind off of 4sts on that side even earlier, when you're knitting the "work 1 row even". I know you won't have a full row worked but you may be happier about the slope at the neck edge.

Thank you so much I'm going to try it now. Why can't they just put this useful information into patterns for us Dummies?

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
:woohoo::woot: much better now!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7108/1001185l.jpg

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
:yay:couldn't have done it without all of your help.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2241/1001184k.jpg

salmonmac
05-24-2013, 03:12 PM
It looks excellant! You were very good to persist until you had the look you wanted. I can't wait to see the final finished top.

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I'll post pictures as soon as I finish the front panel and seam it up.

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I just watched the short row binding off that GG gave me and I have to say I am not getting it not at all. She is showing only binding off 4 sts . I tried working her method and on the second round of binding off the other 4 sts it started looking like it was puckering at the bind offs so I have to go back and frog.

I am guessing that I have to do one shoulder at a time :shrug: but how do you do the this? I have to bind off 4 sts at armhole edge twice plus once more.

shape shoulder instructions read: Bind off 4 sts at each armhole edge twice, then bind off 4 sts once.

how do I use the short row binding off with these instructions , please I need help. Do I ignore the instructions and bind off 12 sts using the short row method. Can I do that since I only have 12 sts on the needle to begin with??

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
I DID IT! I followed Amy's video and walaaaa it worked wonderfully!:woot:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8031/1001187m.jpg

Nanaof6
05-24-2013, 11:06 PM
One hopefully last question. I am thinking that this might come out a little larger then I wanted. Would it work if I knitted the front panel piece one size smaller then the back panel?

salmonmac
05-25-2013, 05:14 AM
That usually doesn't work. The smaller front pulls the side seams around toward the front. You might be able to decrease a few stitches on the front but probably not a whole size.
Btw, the shoulder bind looks very nice. Good going.

Nanaof6
05-25-2013, 12:43 PM
That usually doesn't work. The smaller front pulls the side seams around toward the front. You might be able to decrease a few stitches on the front but probably not a whole size.
Btw, the shoulder bind looks very nice. Good going.Thank you. I would only be working with 12 less stitches , you think that would throw it off? I went to a Sally Meville class where she was teaching a class on Adjusting and Drafting and this was once of her suggestions ,only she said to make the back piece a size smaller.

salmonmac
05-25-2013, 01:05 PM
If it's only going to be say, an inch or so on each side, you could give it a try. If necessary you can always run a line of sewing stitches up the side edges of the back and cut off the extra knit fabric (steeking on each side). The edges will be hidden in the seam anyway.
Sally Melville is a great teacher, isn't she? I've only seen her interviewed and of course read her books.

Nanaof6
05-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Sally Meville is awesome . If you ever get an opportunity to take one of her classes do not hesitate. She teaches you to think outside of the patterns. One of the first things she ask is what is the one biggest mistakes that knitters make and the answer back at her is 'we always follow the pattern to the letter' She teaches you that any garment that you have in your closet that you dearly love, knitted or not can be duplicated with the teachings and techniques that you'll find in her last book of tell all, adjusting and drafting and you can do this with out a pattern. It's all about the math (which I am math challenged) I have all of her books and she has autographed each one of them. Sally Rocks!

as for steeking, I've watched videos of it but never tried it yet. on the last tank top I knitted it came out way to big so I just took the top to my sewing room and did what I would have done with any top I down size. I sewed a seam down the sides about an inch and then cut the extra yarn off and it worked out fine. I should say I don't think I would have done that if it were a more expensive yarn that I had use. But this is just some cheap yarn I had sitting around in my stash.

salmonmac
05-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Perfect! That sounds like steekng on the fly. That same kind of thing will work if you're not happy with the smaller size on the front seamed to the larger back except that it'll probably just be the back that needs adjusting. Pin the back and front together when you're ready and then decide.