PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Magazine

cawhouston
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm want to subscribe to a magazine that focuses more on techniques and less on actual patterns and human interest stories. I did a quick google and found Creative Knitting, Fashion Knitting, Interweave Knits, Knit n Style, Knit Simple, Knit!, Knit scene' Knitter's, Knitting Today, Love of Knitting, Simply Knitting, The Knitter, and Vogue Knitting.

Unfortunately, for me, the descriptions were quite similar and brief.

Any recommendations?

butlersabroad
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
I've bought SImply Knitting, The Knitter and Knitting Today before. Both SImply Knitting and Knit Today are chatty and fun, with reader write ins, social groups and "what I've been making" articles, as well as knitting patterns. The Knitter is more up market and aimed more at the serious knitter. In the two copies I've bought they've shown colour work and intarsia, much more complicated patterns and have more of a focus on expensive and hand spun/painted yarns. One issue had a feature on the Faroes, the history of the knitting etc and lovely photos. This mag tends to assume you know quite a bit about knitting already (some patterns are only shown as charts), but I wouldn't say it really guides you with techniques, but they really have some lovely patterns.

For an idea of Simply Knitting and The Knitter (same publisher) go to http://theknitter.themakingspot.com/ and http://simplyknitting.themakingspot.com/.

I've heard good things about The Vogue knitting magazine but have never looked at it.

Antares
06-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Most of the knitting magazines I've ever seen have lots of patterns and some explanations of techniques (sometimes). After all, there are an unlimited number of patterns and only so many techniques to cover, so if a magazine were predominantly about techniques, after a while subscribers would get bored with seeing the same old techniques again and again.

Personally, I think you'd be better off looking for books of techniques and only get the magazines if you want the patterns (or conversely on that last point, just go to Ravelry and get--or buy--the individual patterns you like).

Just my two cents' worth! Others will chime in with different points of view, I'm sure.

butlersabroad
06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
The Making Spot has a lot of free patterns, and some to buy too, they're all from previous issues of the magazines. I just looked at the Knit Today website and they offer free patterns too. I think Antares is right, look elsewhere for techniques and then just grab, or pay, for the patterns that take your fancy.

GrumpyGramma
06-05-2013, 12:55 PM
I've never much cared for buying magazines as they generally will be about 90% or more of things that either don't interest me at the time or ever. You might consider videos such as Interweave Press offers that you can go back and watch again and again. They run some great specials too, so if you find something that interests you, you can wait and get it when it's cheaper. They have lots of free ebooks you can get too. With so much available on the web these days, paying for a book or magazine that is mostly not going to benefit me just doesn't make sense and I certainly don't need more paper. I looked at The Making Spot Brenda mentioned. There's some nice free stuff there. I d/l the pattern for the bag she's making. :mrgreen:

I just read this before posting and maybe it sounds like I think you shouldn't subscribe to a magazine and I don't mean that. If you find one you like you should subscribe.

salmonmac
06-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Why not pick up a copy of one or two of the magazines you've listed or any others you see on sale and see whether you like the format before you subscribe? I've found Interweave to be good for techniques and interesting articles about styles of knitting. Vogue is wonderful for patterns, some techniques every now and then, but techniques aren't a specialty. Let us know what you think if you decide to sample some issues.

Ingrid
06-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I agree that Interweave Knits has more articles on different techniques, some have been very interesting.

Creative Knitting has lots of patterns, from simple to intermediate, but usually has basic knitting instructions.

sarahandus
06-11-2013, 09:10 AM
The magazine "Cast On" from The Knitters Guild will give far more instructions than patterns and they are in depth instructions too.

IslandTime
06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
I've found our public library has a ton of books on technique and how-to, everything from "for Dummies" to Fair Isle and advanced stuff I'd never attempt!

flyboydc10
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't have any of the magazines, but I do have a lot of knitting apps for my Iphone. If you have a Ipad or something that is a Ereader you can down load quite a few things, I have several Apps that give free patterns and even one magazine

psquidy
06-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Best to pick up a good book for tecniques. I have a VOGUE knitting magazine subscription that I love but it's for the patterns mostly, although the articles are great too.

mathwizard
06-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I have had Creative Knitting but is mostly concerned with patterns. Knitter Magazine is good for patterns, some technique. Cast on is good . Check out t your local library nd look to see if they have knitting mags and check them out.

ArtLady1981
06-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Rather than subscribe to a knitting magazine every year, I'd recommend the DVD sets from Interweave called "Knitting Daily TV." Each set is 4 discs that total about 358 minutes of solid techniques of all kinds, and mostly knitting. They are invaluable, and not only for the experts. There is something for everyone.

I gave up subscriptions and LYS classes in favor of these fabulous DVD's! I play them on my TV, as well as my Sony DVD player when my TV-DVD combo is occupied with husband's interests.

Click here (http://www.interweavestore.com/knitting-daily-tv-series-900-dvd)