PDA

View Full Version : this stinks

flyboydc10
06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
well this morning when I woke up I not only heard a pop but felt a rip, so after I woke up and drugged my self with the meds my doctor has me on I went to the Urgent care and had 3 x-rays taken. I ripped all the ligaments and 2 tendons in my right thumb making it useless. So now I am in a full immobilizer so now I am forced to try and knit left handed but it is hard because I can't hold the needle in my right hand

:waah: :waah:

I was :guyknitting: way to much

Ingrid
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Wow! I didn't know knitting could be so dangerous! Seriously.
I hope you recover quickly and completely.

flyboydc10
06-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Wow! I didn't know knitting could be so dangerous! Seriously.
I hope you recover quickly and completely.

thank you so much :hug: Yeah and since I am a rare breed who is ambidextrous they said it can happen. I am working on a dish cloth and though a had a little pain I am now on row 3 and it seems to be a little easier

Jan in CA
06-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Yikes! Hope it heals quickly!

flyboydc10
06-10-2013, 09:23 PM
well learned a little trick tonight, I am able to hold the right needle between my index and middle finger so now I am able to knit left handed a little easier. However I am knitting at a much slower speed. But I am able to :guyknitting: at least :)

N0obKnitter
06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Oucchhh

Becky Morgan
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
First of all, OW and I'm grabbing my own hand in sympathy!
Cool that you have a way to hold the needle. Try the "shepherdess" style too and see if that works for you, with a long straight under your right arm. I figure the more different ways we knit, the less RSI we'll have from any one style.

flyboydc10
06-11-2013, 12:03 PM
First of all, OW and I'm grabbing my own hand in sympathy!
Cool that you have a way to hold the needle. Try the "shepherdess" style too and see if that works for you, with a long straight under your right arm. I figure the more different ways we knit, the less RSI we'll have from any one style.

I did try that but I am using a short needle so that didn't work :( but I did find by using the fingers I am using I am able to pick up speed, I had to change how I was holding the yarn I went from the Continental to the English but I am half way through my dishcloth now :yay:

flyboydc10
06-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Well I saw the Orthopedic surgeon today and he looked at my thumb and x-rays, I did a little damage but it is fixable and should heal on its own. He gave me a shot which should help relax one of the nerves and told me to wear the brace during the day but I should now be able to sleep with it off and of course I have to wear it when I knit. He did advise me not to knit right handed anymore (which is not a problem since I now do it left handed) so in about 3 weeks I should be able to use both hands when I knit

Ingrid
06-12-2013, 06:33 PM
I think it's worth noting that even though you hurt yourself knitting, instead of taking a break, you found another way to do it. Sportsmen take a break when they hurt themselves, people take off work, etc.

Knitters are a rare breed!:lol:

flyboydc10
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
well I will be honest, normally I would have taken a break (I wouldn't have even thought about left handed) from knitting but I have a very very dear friend who is dying from cancer and I want to make him a afghan before he goes ( I am playing beat the clock) so I have pretty much been knitting almost 15 hours every day for a month. I am more then half way through the blanket till I did this to my thumb and since I haven't done the blanket but I am getting all the dish cloths I need to get done for a baby shower my other friend is having :)

ArtLady1981
06-12-2013, 08:13 PM
I hope to see you on-the-mend real soon! I'd go crazy if I couldn't knit...and knew it!

Oh, well...there is always Candy Crush Saga... :teehee:

GrumpyGramma
06-12-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. This is one of the hardest things that life can throw our way. I understand playing beat the clock all too well, I've been knitting chemo caps. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

HeathersHobbies
06-13-2013, 05:33 AM
I feel your pain a little. I was told I have Carpal Tunnel in my right wrist so I have to also wear a brace for the next two weeks. I also can't knit or crochet as much as I used to. I am amber dexterous as well. But I never tried knitting with my left hand. Crocheting lefty is out of the question. Everything comes out backwards and inside out. :teehee: