PDA

View Full Version : Any fave hats?

IslandTime
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Since I've been back to knitting and joined KH, I've only knit doll clothes - and now I think it's time to knit something for myself:) I need a couple of hats for cool weather, and if I want them done by fall I'd better start now, haha. I know we're just beginning summer, but I don't knit in the evenings, so I don't get a lot of knitting time. And, ok, I knit at glacial speed.

There's a million patterns for hats "out there" and this is my first one, so I'm wondering if any of you have some favourites? I've seen posts where people have said patterns weren't hard but the instructions weren't clear or well written - I sure don't need that :(

I look pretty awful in hats, but think a small tam style would be nice for everyday (not the "dinner plate" or slouch ones - my hair is super-short and my features are small...I'm a small person...lol my gdaughters point out that the only ones smaller than me in our family are our cats, Shiloh and Nigel...), and a cloche style with the rolled brim for colder weather would be my best choices.

Thanks for any help - I'm nearly finished my current wip - another little outfit for my old doll - then I'd like to start the hats :)

claireweber
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Ravelry has a lot of hats, I did a search for cloche and I found one I really like:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-hybrid-swirl-cloche-hat

I would think you could look around on that site and post your faves; I'm sure the folks here would be more than happy to give you feedback as to how simple or complex your picks may be to knit. And of course if you run into any snags with your project you know where you can turn to for help :)

GrumpyGramma
06-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Cloche can cover a lot of different styles of hats. A search for rolled brim hat, adult, female (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&query=rolled%20brim%20hat&fit=adult%2Bfemale&sort=best) yielded lots of choices to consider. Are you wanting to learn lots of new techniques or looking for something fairly simple?

IslandTime
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Cloche can cover a lot of different styles of hats. A search for rolled brim hat, adult, female (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&query=rolled%20brim%20hat&fit=adult%2Bfemale&sort=best) yielded lots of choices to consider. Are you wanting to learn lots of new techniques or looking for something fairly simple?

<G> now that's a trick question. I should say I want to learn - but probably the first thing I should learn is how to make a simple hat that actually fits my head. Then I can branch out and go crazy :woot:

IslandTime
06-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Ravelry has a lot of hats, I did a search for cloche and I found one I really like:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-hybrid-swirl-cloche-hat

I would think you could look around on that site and post your faves; I'm sure the folks here would be more than happy to give you feedback as to how simple or complex your picks may be to knit. And of course if you run into any snags with your project you know where you can turn to for help :)

That's a great idea, Claire!

GrumpyGramma
06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Something like the Family Rolled Brim Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/family-rolled-brim-hat) patterns might be a good starter hat. If you don't like it for you, give it to someone else. You could get the practice of a basic hat and then go on to something more challenging, like the beautiful hat (I :heart: it) that Claire linked to. With a pattern like this one, if you wanted the smaller, teen size, you've got the pattern for it. I really like this Lucy Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lucy-hat-2).

claireweber
06-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Great hat GG! I must have knitted over a dozen of these my first few years of knitting. Because it is worked on circular and dpns, it is made using only the knit stitch, which makes it go pretty quickly.

claireweber
06-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Great hat GG! I must have knitted over a dozen of these my first few years of knitting. Because it is worked on circular and dpns, it is made using only the knit stitch, which makes it go pretty quickly.

Oops! You mentioned two hats, I was referring to the Family Rolled Brim Hat. And it is a great family hat, many of my family members own one. ;)

GrumpyGramma
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I think I'm going to make some of the Family Hats. Too much inexpensive machine wash and dry stash yarn to use up and I can donate them. I really do like the one you linked to, Claire, I may have to make it too.

IslandTime
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Something like the Family Rolled Brim Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/family-rolled-brim-hat) patterns might be a good starter hat. If you don't like it for you, give it to someone else. You could get the practice of a basic hat and then go on to something more challenging, like the beautiful hat (I :heart: it) that Claire linked to. With a pattern like this one, if you wanted the smaller, teen size, you've got the pattern for it. I really like this Lucy Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lucy-hat-2).

That rolled brim one is exactly what I want. I'd looked on ravelry last winter and seen about a million hats, but didn't see this one. I always use circs but I've only used them flat - so this looks like the right time to venture into knitting in the round.

It calls for 16 inch circs though, and all mine measure 19 inches for the cord alone, so a total of 29 inches. Are they too big?

I got this size (at Micheal's) because I like the length of the metal part better - on the 16 inch ones the needles are so darn small I thought they'd be kind of hard to hold - especially for doll clothes where there aren't many stitches, so you don't end up with much fabric in your hands either.

GrumpyGramma
06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Depending on how flexible your cable is you might be able to make a loop and use the ones you have. Typically I use a longer, very flexible cable and won't change unless I get tired of pulling extra cable through. I don't switch to DPNs. Check the Advanced Videos in the Free Videos section to see how Amy does the loops. Another option is that if you have two circs the same size is to use two of them, I think there's a video for that too. One thing about hats is you can cast on a few more or fewer stitches to make it fit as you wish, you just have to rework the number of sts between decreases. Have fun! BTW I look at hats to find one I want to do and then give up and find some that interest me when I'm looking for someone else. Go figure. Another thought, if your needles are interchangeable you can make two and use a smaller needle tip for the left needle since working in the round means you don't use the left needle to make the stitches. It's actually easier and faster to work that way for me.

IslandTime
06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Depending on how flexible your cable is you might be able to make a loop and use the ones you have. Typically I use a longer, very flexible cable and won't change unless I get tired of pulling extra cable through. I don't switch to DPNs. Check the Advanced Videos in the Free Videos section to see how Amy does the loops. Another option is that if you have two circs the same size is to use two of them, I think there's a video for that too. One thing about hats is you can cast on a few more or fewer stitches to make it fit as you wish, you just have to rework the number of sts between decreases. Have fun! BTW I look at hats to find one I want to do and then give up and find some that interest me when I'm looking for someone else. Go figure. Another thought, if your needles are interchangeable you can make two and use a smaller needle tip for the left needle since working in the round means you don't use the left needle to make the stitches. It's actually easier and faster to work that way for me.

My needles aren't interchangeable. But if I find out what the common sizes are for hats, I could get a couple of pairs of "hat needles" :) They aren't expensive if I wait for a 50% off coupon at Michaels ;)

I've definitely got to look at the videos you suggest though - using two together...I can imagine myself getting into all kinds of trouble...lol

claireweber
06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
That rolled brim one is exactly what I want. I'd looked on ravelry last winter and seen about a million hats, but didn't see this one. I always use circs but I've only used them flat - so this looks like the right time to venture into knitting in the round.

It calls for 16 inch circs though, and all mine measure 19 inches for the cord alone, so a total of 29 inches. Are they too big?

I got this size (at Micheal's) because I like the length of the metal part better - on the 16 inch ones the needles are so darn small I thought they'd be kind of hard to hold - especially for doll clothes where there aren't many stitches, so you don't end up with much fabric in your hands either.

When knitting in the round, you want your circulars to be a smaller size than the diameter of your project, so the 29" won't work. I believe the pattern calls for a set of double pointed needles also. You might consider the Magic Loop, eliminating the need for dpns. The circulars would need to be a minimum length of 32", a longer length could be desirable depending on what you envision for future projects.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/magic-loop

IslandTime
06-14-2013, 02:32 PM
When knitting in the round, you want your circulars to be a smaller size than the diameter of your project, so the 29" won't work. I believe the pattern calls for a set of double pointed needles also. You might consider the Magic Loop, eliminating the need for dpns. The circulars would need to be a minimum length of 32", a longer length could be desirable depending on what you envision for future projects.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/magic-loop

Oh wow, I only read through the pattern quickly - and assumed it was circs OR dpn's. Never assume, lol.

I'll check out the video on magic loop, omigosh this is getting really interesting, thanks to you two!