PDA

View Full Version : did someone say 'frogging'? :-\

Marg1e
06-28-2013, 10:55 PM
See that? - well, actually, you can't see it very clearly: just refer to the pattern itself and you'll sort of know what my knitting looks like.
I was at roughly this point coupla days ago when I suddenly noticed that I'd done a short-cut in the pattern, half-way back: I'd knitted a purl row and thus started on another of the 4-row pattern with only 2 rows behind it.
Dithered. Fretted. In the end had to acknowledge my indisputable obsessive compulsiveness and de-knit all the way back to remove the offending mis-knit. I'm working on 252 sts, as it's one-piece till the armholes; only the gods know how many rows, let alone sts!, that I frogged. And served me right for losing concentration.
Btw: the thing the knitting's sitting on is my new storage unit. TEN DRAWERS! I'm in order heaven.
:yay:

Jan in CA
06-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Argh.. I feel for you! I've had to frog a few things myself. :zombie: It's looking beautiful though! Love the organization drawers, too!

salmonmac
06-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Yes, sadly it's very familiar territory. I too look at the piece, leave it, think about it and then do what I always knew I was going to do, rip it out and do over. MayI usse sticky notes to keep my place (on the pattern, I mean, not the knitting).
Going to be lovely though with that pretty border and stitch pattern.

AngelaR
06-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Sadly I've had to frog every single project I've started in the past 3 months since I can't get past the first few rows because evidently developers think they are clever for keeping non-math based increases to themselves and the online calculator do not work. It's summer, too hot to knit, to be honest, so I will most likely just wait until October or November when it cools down to start something new.

It's discouraging since I have tons of new yarn and new patterns.

Marg1e
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Did you mention the word 'summer'???
Ye god and little fishes! - I had forgotten that such a season exists. Here in Sydney we've had incessant rain for the last ... oh, I think it's now ELEVEN days. As to the temperature - I have no words.
You may all be grateful for that. ;)
I am glad that I'm not alone in this: for reasons I don't understand, I'm finding this extremely simple - though equally pretty - pattern to be one that requires 100% concentration. Like, no radio; no talking book; just KNITTING. Because the moment I'm not absolutely focused on it, I do something moronic. And truly, I'm not usually so halfwitted.
Sighh ...

Marg1e
06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Angela - what's a writer's cardigan, please?
This interests me greatly …

Antares
06-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Yuckola to frogging! And those "mindlessly simple" patterns are the ones that often clobber you--especially, as you point out, when you're not paying attention for the briefest nano second! I have a shrug that I've knitted, frogged, and reknitted a million times. The pattern is simple--a four row repeat and then move the pattern over a certain number of stitches and do it again. But where is that shrug now? Oh just in my knitting basket waiting for me to redo the sleeves because one turned out longer than the other! ARRRGGGHHH!!! HISS!!! GROWL!!! WHINE!!!

By the way, feel free to send us all that rain (and cooler weather, too). It's bone dry here in Texas, and let's not even mention how hot it is (a blasting furnace comes to mind).

claireweber
06-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Well, hopefully what I have done with my other project will work. I stopped knitting it because it is white and I was going to be spending three days on the road as a passenger and it seemed like it would be too much of a challenge to keep it clean. I began knitting my nearly finished and then completely frogged sweater and would like to at least finish the body of it before I put it down, slowly but slowly, I will get there.

Well, to make a long story even longer, my husband taught me how to use Excel for graphing my projects; I had never knitted from a graph before and I am completely hooked. So now I print out my graphs and write notes on them.

Keeping my fingers crossed, when I get back to my shawl, I am hoping that I actually took decent enough notes to be able to continue :knitting: it without running into any snags.

GrumpyGramma
07-01-2013, 12:57 AM
I really wish the frog would learn something new to say.

It looks good in your photo. I think it's great you got new drawers!

Marg1e
07-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Ho yes! - new drawers! <grin> Baggy ones and all.
I got the set (http://www.innovations.com.au/Product_Detail.aspx?ParentCategoryID=166&CategoryID=41&ProductID=134954) for AUD49.50, would you believe? - and now I see it's being sold for $39.20 Sighh ... Dunno what to learn from that: can't sit around indefinitely hoping for stuff to drop in price, can yer? :think:
Claire, your husband is a doll! - mine once did me a graph to knit the word "opera" in a beautiful font into the back of a cardy I was working on. Husbands are great! :-) That's why I wrote a book about mine: they tell me he'd love it: I can only hope they're right.
What notes?!
Antares, your language!! My hair has gone grey! ... oh, it was grey before, wasn't it? <grin>
I wish Angela would come back to tell me what a writer's cardigan is: you have no idea the mental images I'm conjuring up ...

Antares
07-03-2013, 08:25 AM
So sorry your hair has gone gray, but Marg1e, are you absolutely sure that it was my vile language that turned it that way? Think really hard now: Nothing else in life could have contributed?

I'm not Angela, but I did find this (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/writers-cardigan) labeled as a "writer's cardigan" on Ravelry. Looks like a regular ol' cardigan to me, so perhaps it's just a cardigan that you work on when you have writer's block. Or based on the picture of the model, perhaps it's a cardigan someone forced you to wear while you're writing a horrible, no good, very bad research paper. (Come on, fella, show some life and smile!)

claireweber
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
When I read "ARRRGGGHHH!!! HISS!!! GROWL!!! WHINE!!!" I experience the feeling of the dread of the realization that once again, needing to :frog: Well put, Antares.

So, my notes. For my current WIP, I am knitting a sweater in the round; I've made a note of which row I transitioned to knitting flat, I am now on the last row for the back :cheering: so, I'll make a note of which row that is.

Different notes for different projects, the shawl, which I don't even know where it is right now, I made notes of the size of needles used, how many pattern repeats, even notes on the decrease row, etc. I'm designing it as I go along, so I need really good notes for that.

When I learn to take pictures and post them I'll be able to show you this, I like things to look nice, but this certainly doesn't. :lol: A laptop stand from Ikea as a side table, it is all wonky, having quite the lean. The graph on a magnetic board, using a piece of notebook paper acting as a ruler held in place by magnets; this all set on a metal cookbook stand, illuminated by a work lamp.

:heart: the drawers, your workspace looks so organized!

Marg1e
07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Oeuf course it was, Antares! - and long since, alas! :-) I meant to indicate that, and not in truth blame you for it, m'dear.
I am greatly amused by the "writer's" cardy and the silly bloke wearing it; and I can only agree that his expression leaves a lot to be desired. As does the thinking of whomever either took the shot or produced the knitting book it's in, depending
Claire, your note-taking is bloody exemplary: I am going to have to learn from it, and that's a fact. The h'object I am currently working on is knitted in one piece to the armholes and thereafter in three; and notes are definitely required. I tend to scribble 'em on the pattern, which doesn't make for easy reading thereafter: where do you keep yours?

claireweber
07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Oeuf course it was, Antares! - and long since, alas! :-) I meant to indicate that, and not in truth blame you for it, m'dear.
I am greatly amused by the "writer's" cardy and the silly bloke wearing it; and I can only agree that his expression leaves a lot to be desired. As does the thinking of whomever either took the shot or produced the knitting book it's in, depending
Claire, your note-taking is bloody exemplary: I am going to have to learn from it, and that's a fact. The h'object I am currently working on is knitted in one piece to the armholes and thereafter in three; and notes are definitely required. I tend to scribble 'em on the pattern, which doesn't make for easy reading thereafter: where do you keep yours?

I print a copy of my graph and then just leave the notes on there, scribbled wherever there is room on the paper. For my shawl, I've written notes on the hard copy as well as on the computer.

My WIP is knitted like yours, one piece to the armholes, thereafter in three.

OTN: Evergreen Aran by Kristin Nicholas
in Patons Merino Classic Wool, Deep Olive

GrumpyGramma
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
The h'object I am currently working on is knitted in one piece to the armholes and thereafter in three; and notes are definitely required.

I'm not very good with notes so can't help much there. When I divide for the armholes, I just keep everything going with however many balls of yarn it takes, working all pieces at the same time. Currently I'm knitting a cape and it has slits for sticking my hands out. I have 3 balls of yarn going: 1 for the left front, 1 for the sides before the slits and the back, 1 for the right front. That way it all comes out even.

claireweber
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm not very good with notes so can't help much there. When I divide for the armholes, I just keep everything going with however many balls of yarn it takes, working all pieces at the same time. Currently I'm knitting a cape and it has slits for sticking my hands out. I have 3 balls of yarn going: 1 for the left front, 1 for the sides before the slits and the back, 1 for the right front. That way it all comes out even.

When I get to the shaping for the neckline for the front, I'm going to try that :)

Antares
07-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Currently I'm knitting a cape and it has slits for sticking my hands out. I have 3 balls of yarn going: 1 for the left front, 1 for the sides before the slits and the back, 1 for the right front. That way it all comes out even.

Yes, I suggested this exact same process to someone a while back and you, GG, and Jan both thought I was nuts!!! All I can say is, if I am, so are you! :-P

Antares
07-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Gee, no need to get your panties in a wad. I'm over it, but you don't sound like you are. I actually thought it was amusing, but somebody's a little huffy around here (taint me)!

SO GET OVER IT YOURSELF!!

GrumpyGramma
07-04-2013, 12:03 AM
I deleted a post above, I thought it would show that I had and why. I responded in kind to another post and that isn't in keeping with the spirit here at KH. I'm truly am sorry I did so.

Marg1e
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Struth.
The thread went bad, for reasons unknown.
Don't let's get like Ravelry, wherein people can become so enraged by even the faintest hint of criticism that the flames are felt across oceans!
Forums are meant for the exchange of views, and we NEVER all agree all the time, eh?
The grumpy one appears to've been miffed, and Antares is in danger of becoming equally miffed on account of it: that's what always happens.
Sighh ...
Let us be LUVERLY. Whaddya reckon? I know what it's like to be luverly, for I have been unquestionably the luverliest person on the planet for me entire life. <grin>
:poke:

AngelaR
07-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Angela - what's a writer's cardigan, please?
This interests me greatly …

It's a cardigan pattern I found in a magazine I picked up on a trip. I wish I could tell you which one, but it was lost in a flood a couple of years ago and I've not looked for it since. I should since it's for my FIL and I only had to finish the sleeves on it. You know, today might be the day I do that! Writer's Cardigan was the official name of the pattern.

Much easier than I thought - Writer's Cardigan (http://www.yourknittinglife.com/pattern-previews/writers-cardigan)

Marg1e
07-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes, it's the one that Antares found a few days back. Must be the only pattern so boldly described as 'a writer's cardigan'. Wish I knew why the designer called it that.
:-\
Thanks!