PDA

View Full Version : Buying Yarn by Color

cawhouston
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm making a scarf and need 7-8 basic colors; e.g. rust, cream, brick, etc.

I've looked at several web sites and they all search by brand, weight, and material. I did not see any that had a search by color. When I would enter a color the results would consist of patterns and other products.

I sent an email to one of the on-line sites and they confirmed they could not search by color. I asked if I phoned would their staff know inventory well enough for me to place and order. They said no because the inventory was too large.

So, if I want to buy 7-8 colors on-line and would prefer a single source, and cannot search by color, then what do i do? I've tried searching through brands, but that has not been productive.

claireweber
07-02-2013, 08:57 PM

I've looked at several web sites and they all search by brand, weight, and material. I did not see any that had a search by color. When I would enter a color the results would consist of patterns and other products.

I sent an email to one of the on-line sites and they confirmed they could not search by color. I asked if I phoned would their staff know inventory well enough for me to place and order. They said no because the inventory was too large.

So, if I want to buy 7-8 colors on-line and would prefer a single source, and cannot search by color, then what do i do? I've tried searching through brands, but that has not been productive.

Do you have a link for the pattern or for a picture of the scarf? What type of yarn does the pattern call for?

cawhouston
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
It's a "Dr. Who" scarf that uses a chunky yarn at 14 sts/4 inches and #10 needles. I need approximately 150 gm of cream, 200 gm of dark brown, 150 gm of brick, 100 gm of beige, 100 gm of grey, 100 gm of maroon, and 100 gm of rust.

Cast on 42 sts, alternate different lengths of colors, cast off, and add fringe. The entire scarf is garter stitch and 124 inches long.

One needs to be a fan of Tom Baker, the fourth Dr., to appreciate this piece. Just google the above to see the scarf. Any picture will show him wearing it.

jinxnit55
07-02-2013, 09:34 PM

The only sites I know for sure that have all the colors displayed at once for a certain type of yarn are Amazon and my LYS, Jimmy Beans (Reno, Nevada) but I'm sure there are others.

Jan in CA
07-02-2013, 09:42 PM
You might be able to do that on Ravelry. Put in all the filters you want then type in a color name in the search box. Not sure if it'll work, but worth a try.

claireweber
07-02-2013, 10:27 PM
I found this:

http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.browse/categoryAlias_name/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-weight-bulky/categoryID/28cab28c-0f62-4ef3-9f98-25e2a348fe63/?resultsPerPage=48&sortType=

If you click on a yarn it will take you to a page that displays the colors that are available in that particular yarn.

:heart: the scarf!

Antares
07-02-2013, 10:31 PM
You can see all the color choices at knitpicks (http://www.knitpicks.com/), too, and at Yarn Paradise, (http://www.yarn-paradise.com/) I just did a search by color and it worked.

DavidSydney63
07-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Most commercial yarns show colour swatches, Panda have an excellent range. Have you considered buying chunky white and dying it yourself? Landscape dyes have an excellent range, if all else fails.

butlersabroad
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Black Sheep Wools (http://www.blacksheepwools.com) are in the UK, but ship to the US for a very reasonable price. If you rest your mouse on the YARN tab you'll get a fly out window that lists what they have by Brand, Fibers, Yarn Weight, Colours and Ball Size. Very useful.

cawhouston
07-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks all for your help. I finally went with Knitpicks because it was the easiest for me to use. Filtered on weight, then found a brand that had all the colors wanted.

claireweber
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks all for your help. I finally went with Knitpicks because it was the easiest for me to use. Filtered on weight, then found a brand that had all the colors wanted.

:cheering: Congratulations! It seemed as though it was going to be a challenge to find all the colors you wanted in the same type of yarn. Which ones did you decide on?

cawhouston
07-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Wool of the Andes Bulky. They did not have all the exact colors so we picked a couple that were close enough and were able to go single source, single manufacturer.