PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Frustration

Junobeachfamily
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi, my mother taught me how to knit socks. It begins with a knit , purl, knit purl pattern. I found a couple of problems I am
having.

First, it is apparent that my stitching is not consistent. A pattern is not evolving. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong and how I can avoid this problem?

Second, I am using three pointed needles. It seems as though two
sides show some pattern evolving, but there is always one side with absolutely no pattern and looks like a mess. Why is this happening and how can I prevent it from occurring again?

Jan in CA
07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
You might not be knitting the ribbing properly. After the first row you knit the knit stitches and purl the purls. This is important to learn early in your knitting career. If you aren't sure what they look like see the attached image.

If you messed up the ribbing you'll probably need to start over. :/

dreamingintx
07-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Could you maybe post a picture of your work? It might help somebody see what you might be doing wrong.

DavidSydney63
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Hey there, don't give up.

Can I offer a suggestion?

Try knitting some swatches to get a sense of your gauge.

Cast on 50 stitches and knit stockingette stitch (one row purl one row knit) for about 6 inches - then see how many stitches and rows you get for a 4 inch square area ... it'll help you focus on keeping your stockingette stitch nice and even.