PDA

View Full Version : Applied Icord

GrumpyGramma
07-16-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm working on a visor cap pattern and it has applied Icord all around the edges. I did the BO on the visor as instructed, picked up stitches and now I'm doing the Icord. I watched several videos on how to do applied Icord but none showed working it on live, held stitches, it was always on a bound off edge. Is there a reason it wouldn't work on live stitches?

Ingrid
07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I think the main reason applied icord is worked on bound off edges is that it would tend to curl on live stitches more than on a firmer edge.

GrumpyGramma
07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm glad I asked. I should have used a larger needle and have to frog a bit. I was tempted to just use the live stitches on the redo. Thanks!

Jan in CA
07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I think that makes sense. Hmmm...

ruvo44
07-17-2013, 09:11 AM
There are several videos on you tube for icord bind off using live stitches.

GrumpyGramma
07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Icord bind off? Interesting. I'll have to look for that. Thanks..

Jan in CA
07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I've used an I-cord bind off many times. Not sure why I didn't think of that! :doh:

GrumpyGramma
07-17-2013, 02:00 PM
@ Jan. LOL The things we think of in retrospect. I experienced the same phenomena when pondering how to do a ruffled sock top as in a picture someone found. That can use 3 needles to attach the ruffle but could I bring that to mind? :noway: I chalk it up to Sometimers. :teehee:

Anyhow, as I must redo the bo because it's tighter than I thought, I think I'll pu&k on the ends of rows on the sides and try incorporating the icord bo on the live stitches. This cap has turned out to be very educational. After it's finally finished (please oh please may I actually get it done) I'll have to figure out how to stiffen up the visor part. I guess if I can find something the right shape for blocking I can use fabric starch. I can ponder this whilst playing with my latest skill acquisitions - applied icord and icord bo. :)

claireweber
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Hey GG - I don't know if this will work to stiffen that visor any more effectively that fabric starch; I've used a mixture of white glue and water to stiffen crocheted doilies.

GrumpyGramma
07-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Hey GG - I don't know if this will work to stiffen that visor any more effectively that fabric starch; I've used a mixture of white glue and water to stiffen crocheted doilies.

Thanks, Claire. I was thinking of trying glue, it will wash out if I don't like the result or when it's time to wash the hat anyhow. I know corn starch can be used to stiffen things too. The glue might hold up better if it got damp somehow while I was wearing it. I'll let ya'll know when I get there what I try, I have to get back to the icord bit.

claireweber
07-23-2013, 12:02 AM
How is your applied I-cord coming along?

GrumpyGramma
07-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks for asking, Claire. The hat's all knitted. I really like the I-cord bind off but I think it might indeed curl more than if I'd done the pick up stitches. I found out you can do I-cord edges as you go along and have to try that. Now I need to wash the hat, dry it, use stiffener on the visor and block it. The current holdup is figuring out what to use to block it. I have a wastebasket I think will work, so setting it up to be able to pin the visor is the current problem. I'm thinking on it. Do you know how well the glue for stiffener will wash out if I wanted it to for some reason? I read it will last through 10 or more washings but they didn't say if it was by hand or in a washing machine.

How's your shawl coming along? I've taken a detour down Small Items Lane and parked on Dishcloth Square myself.

claireweber
07-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Did you do the visor in the 'Twists'? I saw some the other day and thought of you. I imagine you'll be doing some close up shots of the I-cord bind off when you post it.

So, what I thought of for blocking the visor, cut a piece of plastic from a gallon jug, cut a piece of Styrofoam slightly larger on the outer edges and glue that to the plastic and then duct tape that to the waste basket. Idk if that would work, but an idea :wink:

Well, the only thing I can say about the glue is that if you use it you'll need to be certain that you won't want to wash it out, cause you'll be stuck with it :roflhard:

We are on the road, I thought I would knit a 'Wingspan' for one of my nieces, finished knitting that yesterday. We stopped in Arkansas at a Hobby Lobby and I picked up some beads to use in tassels for the tips. I started another 'Wingspan' in sock yarn, it is done in garter and it looks like I purled a stitch along the way. No small crochet hooks with me so back burner with that one.

I've almost finished my 'Ikat' Wingspan, seven out of eight triangles. I'll probably add tassels to the tips. We stopped at the JoAnn's in Albuquerque today, and omg, I found 48" Clover circulars in sizes 1, 2, 3 and 4. Now I can knit using my crochet thread :happydance:

I want to work on my Aran sweater, Iím so glad I brought it :) I :heart: having so many projects going.

GrumpyGramma
07-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Stuck with, OK, that's what I figured. I think I'll try just a cornstarch stiffener first. I'll have to go over your blocking suggestions more carefully, my first thought was that a gallon jug isn't big enough hence looking at the wastebasket. Twists? You mean the yarn I used? Yeah, it's called Twists, the one with red in it. You can fix stitches with your knitting needles if you're brave enough to try it. I've started doing it that way. I actually find it works better as I can do both Ks and Ps from the same side. You've lots to keep you busy though. I'll have to get to a JoAnn and see if I can get some of those needles. Bamboo isn't my fave but they are nice for some yarns. Lucky you! I'm glad you found them. I've had a migraine all day and now have the hangover from it so I hope my ramblings are at least sort of coherent. Enjoy your trip. And thanks for your input.

claireweber
08-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Stuck with, OK, that's what I figured. I think I'll try just a cornstarch stiffener first. I'll have to go over your blocking suggestions more carefully, my first thought was that a gallon jug isn't big enough hence looking at the wastebasket. Twists? You mean the yarn I used? Yeah, it's called Twists, the one with red in it. You can fix stitches with your knitting needles if you're brave enough to try it. I've started doing it that way. I actually find it works better as I can do both Ks and Ps from the same side. You've lots to keep you busy though. I'll have to get to a JoAnn and see if I can get some of those needles. Bamboo isn't my fave but they are nice for some yarns. Lucky you! I'm glad you found them. I've had a migraine all day and now have the hangover from it so I hope my ramblings are at least sort of coherent. Enjoy your trip. And thanks for your input.

Well, I spent all my $ at the LYS in Telluride. I realized that I needed $40 to fill up my card at the Santa Fe LYS to get my $25 bonus :think: Well then I tried out one of the bamboo circulars - when I picked up knitting again last fall, I started using Addi Turbos, metal needles - well the bamboo is just not right for me anymore. Returned the circulars to JoAnn's, filled up my dance card at the LYS and ended up with that fabulous sakkie yarn as my bonus.

GrumpyGramma
08-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Isn't that a wonderful bonus? Good for you! It's beautiful.

Since I got my Sunstruck and Nova sets, I'm spoiled for just about any other needles so I won't be looking for those at JoAnn after all. I'm glad you could return yours. I had a set of Addi Turbo circular needles and they found a new home with someone who appreciates them. They were the most expensive ones I owned and I couldn't stand the blunt tips. I let someone at the store talk me into "treating myself" with the understanding they could be returned and then found out they wouldn't let me. Ben Franklin won't get much business from my anymore. The only thing I've bought there since was yarn I desperately needed for a project I had to get started on ASAP and they had some I liked on sale and the store is local.

My UFO visor cap finally got washed and dried. I didn't think I was going to want to finish it, it just looked really bad but the wash and dry in the dryer tightened the stitches up. I've still not gotten the visor stiffened. I really should get something done about it.