PDA

View Full Version : Modular knit ALL the things!

CeCeKnittingN00b
07-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello! I haven't been here in a very, very long time! I've missed you all. *Hugs* I really don't like math and I had a really hard time trying to figure out how many stitches to cast on for big projects such as sweaters, vests, and lounging pants for the cooler months. I know how to knit a swatch for gauge, but the math afterward frustrated me. Anyway, I came across a cool knitting book called No Pattern Knits. There's no patterns needed for modular knitting at all and no math! Woohoo. You just knit shapes and then piece them altogether.

If you don't like sewing, you could always pick up stitches and knit from there. I tried knitting a panda hoodie top down and I struggled a lot. It didn't work out so today I've decided to give this modular knitting a try! So, my fellow knitters, have you knit a garment using this technique?

GrumpyGramma
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
That sounds interesting. I've not tried it. If I have trouble with getting the cast on count, I'll ask here. Someone will come to the rescue of the mathematically challenged. Anyhow, is there a link you can post to something about this modular knitting?

CeCeKnittingN00b
07-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Of course! http://www.girlfromauntie.com/journal/so-who-invented-modular-knitting/ there are a lot of videos on youtube about it, too.

salmonmac
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Modular knitting is interesting but I'm afraid I got hung up on the idea of "cooler weather". Sigh.
Wecome back!

CeCeKnittingN00b
07-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks, Salmonmac! Lol, yeah. I want cooler weather! It's been in the 90s all this week in OH.

GrumpyGramma
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
We're having a break from hot weather and have the cooler, overcast skies summer day that Seattle is famed for. It will be hot again soon enough. Keep as cool as you can, anyone who is in hot weather. I'm hoping to get some things I can't do when it's hot out of the way while it's cooler.

I have to look at that modular knitting stuff more closely. More than once I've had a piece (probably practice for a stitch pattern) and wished I knew how to make something around it. Maybe modular knitting will offer some insights.