PDA

View Full Version : Seaming and sewing in ends

psquidy
07-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Does anyone else love seaming and sewing in the ends of a project? I find myself dreaming about it...craving it!
I love it.
Am I all alone?

Jan in CA
07-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Uh no. :neutral: :neutral: I avoid seaming if possible and try not to leave too many ends. :shifty:

salmonmac
07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
You wouldn't like to take in some orphan sweaters by any chance? Actually, I enjoy seaming because I'm excited to see everything put together. I'm not so crazy about weaving in ends but it helps to do it as you go along.

shadowfox118
07-23-2013, 05:53 PM
I like to seem and weaving in ends never bothers me

psquidy
07-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Poor orphan sweaters. If I was close enough I'd sew 'em up for you:muah:

GrumpyGramma
07-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Darn it! You're too far away from me too. I avoid seaming and would love to never have to weave another end again. I'm glad someone enjoys them.

shadowfox118
07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
I'm open to helping to if i'm close enough but i don't think i am

DavidSydney63
07-24-2013, 08:29 PM
I loathe seaming and sewing in ends so I'm always on the look out for alternatives! Especially seaming, any pearls?

shadowfox118
07-25-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm Making a patchwork babyblanket where i want a quilted look, i did the look with seaming

DogCatMom
07-25-2013, 01:50 AM
You might ask around in Halifax for yarn stores who are looking for someone to do "finishing" of knitted items. MANY knitters simply don't enjoy the seaming (odd, but that's how they are) and some are willing to pay another person to do it.

Take an example of your seamed, blocked work with you to the shop(s) and let us know how you're received. Maybe a flyer/handout to leave at the shops?

This might be a very happy possibility!

DavidSydney63
07-25-2013, 04:07 AM
I have a feeling the lack of enthusiasm for seaming isn't due to a lack of expertise or ability ... it's just you finally cast off that last stitch and know that there's still much work to do.

Am I speaking for anyone but myself here?

Jan in CA
07-25-2013, 01:11 PM
I have a feeling the lack of enthusiasm for seaming isn't due to a lack of expertise or ability ... it's just you finally cast off that last stitch and know that there's still much work to do.

Nope, I agree. :thumbsup:

Btw..make seamless projects and there is little to no seaming.

Jeremy
07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
I loathe seaming and sewing in ends so I'm always on the look out for alternatives! Especially seaming, any pearls?
Brooklyn Tweed had some articles out about converting seamed sweater patterns to in the round. I went to a workshop he taught on that subject in New Haven. He was a good teacher.

Dclutterchique
07-26-2013, 04:03 PM

No, you're not speaking just for yourself, I feel the same way.

Apart from seamless knitting, as already mentioned by Jan, I don't have any avoidance strategies (unless you count the heretical suggestion of 'Don't knit.':noway:).

The way I cope with seaming is to break it down into smaller chunks. So, I'll tell myself something like "I'll do this sleeve seam" or "I'll do 15 minutes". If I'm in the mood to carry on and do more after that I consider it a bonus, but if I'm not then I don't feel guilty as I've met my target.

DavidSydney63
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I admire those who can knit in the round without the resultant garment having a visible slant ...

GrumpyGramma
07-26-2013, 08:03 PM
I admire those who can knit in the round without the resultant garment having a visible slant ...

What would cause a visible slant? I've never had that happen or never noticed anyhow. I like to eliminate the side seams on cardigans, doing a faux seam helps keep things looking good.

Yeah. I try to not leave all weaving of ends until the end.