PDA

View Full Version : SOMEBODY PLEEEAASE HELP!

MissMurder
07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm doing a hooded scarf called midnight scarbon on craftsbystarlight.com I've gotten help by a couple amazing people on here so maybe I can get help again? :) I'm almost finished with the hooded scarf but I'm having a bit of a problem...again. I'm following the scarf pattern and it's not wide like shown in the pictures, obviously because of the cables the scarf is curling on itself, so I'm wondering how do I keep it from doing that? I'm using Lion Brand wool-ease thick & quick yarn which is a super bulky just like suggested in the patt so it should be about the same since Lion Brand is being used in the patt I'm following... Also, does the fact that my yarn is washable, dryable and 20% wool 80% acrylic matter in how to get it flattened? I'd love if SOMEONE could help me find a permanent solution. Thank you.

Jan in CA
07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Cables don't usually curl, stockinette curls all the time. It's the nature of the beast. Since the scarf is primarily stockinette it will curl. You can try blocking it, but it may not work well. Even pure wool has a hard time with stockinette. Sometimes a border helps, but it would have to be pretty wide in this case to maybe work.

BTW, don't use all caps. It's considered yelling on the Internet.

MissMurder
07-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Cables don't usually curl, stockinette curls all the time. It's the nature of the beast. Since the scarf is primarily stockinette it will curl. You can try blocking it, but it may not work well. Even pure wool has a hard time with stockinette. Sometimes a border helps, but it would have to be pretty wide in this case to maybe work.

BTW, don't use all caps. It's considered yelling on the Internet.

Thanks for the advice, I figured I'd have to start over and make a border. And yes, I am aware that caps are yelling on the net, I'm just frustrated at this since there is no real border for this pattern and I didn't realize it would curl in on me. Once again thanks.

Jan in CA
07-29-2013, 12:01 PM
There is a sticky thread in the how-to forum about curling stockinette. Maybe that will help.

Are you using the correct needle size for the yarn? If you knit too tightly it seems to make it worse I think.

MissMurder
07-29-2013, 05:39 PM
There is a sticky thread in the how-to forum about curling stockinette. Maybe that will help.

Are you using the correct needle size for the yarn? If you knit too tightly it seems to make it worse I think.

Ok thank you, I'll check it out. I am using the correct needles as for the yarn, I tend to knit smaller yarn too tight and anything over med weight too loose, but the 9 mm seem just fine otherwise.