PDA

View Full Version : Gauge - Seed stitch

Milanda8900
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
The gauge required for a scarf pattern is 10.5 sts, 4" seed stitch. It doesn't tell you how many stitches and rows you're supposed to knit.
I know it doesn't matter much to knit a gauge swatch for a scarf, however, I want to understand whether this is "normal" on some patterns.
It's the slit scarf pattern by lion brand using fun fur yarn.
Please help.
:?? :?? :??

Ingrid
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
It probably is allowing you to be flexible as to how large you want the scarf to be. If you wanted 8 inches, you could cast on 21 stitches, for example. Then just knit it as long as you like.

GrumpyGramma
08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I think I found your pattern. Free Knitting Pattern: Slit Scarf (Fun Fur Prints Label Pattern) (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kff-slitScarf.html) As the instructions are to cast on 16 sts I think I'd just go ahead on this one and cast on 16 sts and start knitting. After a few rows you will be able to see if it's about the width you want. To do a gauge swatch you want to cast on more sts than the pattern says it takes for 4" and in this case, 16 would be a good number for the gauge swatch. Most patterns I've used don't specify a number of sts to use for the swatch, so it is pretty normal. Have fun!

Milanda8900
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Thank you for replying promptly! I'll just go ahead and start knitting!