PDA

View Full Version : Lincraft Luxe dilemma

Galluxed
08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I am near Syndey Australia. I recently had a pattern which called for 14 ply wool. Went to Lincraft and they sold me Luxe stating it was the closest they had. Luxe has no ply. I started knitting the jumper using the needles the pattern suggested but it is using way more wool and now I can no longer buy the Luxe - I have no idea how to convert patterns. Can someone help me. The Luxe says to use size 12 mm needles, I have used 5.5 and 6 which the pattern suggested for 14 ply wool.

salmonmac
08-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi and welcome!
The Lincraft is a super bulky which does use about a 12-12.5mm (US17) needle. The pattern is apparently knitting the yarn tighter than called for on the 5.5-6m (US 8-10).
What stitch gauge does the pattern want? Can you give us a link to the pattern you're making? What do you want to conver?

Galluxed
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
The pattern says 14sts by 20 rows over stocking stitch on 6.0 mm needles to 10 cms. The pattern is in a book called Creative Knitting Issue 41 winter and it is knitted with 120 gm Drift Chunky 14ply. It is a design by Gitta Schrade for Naturally Yarns NZ. - Cable Panel Sweater. The pattern calls for 6 by 120 germ balls. I have used 10 by 100 gm balls already and still have sleeves to go. I need to convert the pattern so that I know how many stitches to cast on and off etc using the right gauge needles for the wool. And I need to know what size needles to use for the bands.
The website is www.naturallyyarnsnz.com but I have looked there and I cannot see the pattern.

GrumpyGramma
08-06-2013, 10:41 PM
I searched for the designer at www.ravelry.com to see if there's a photo but I don't think so. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#page=1&query=Gitta%20Schrade%20&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

I can only say that if the needles for the bands are, say, 2 sizes smaller than the ones for the rest of the pattern, then whatever size you use for the rest of the pattern, I'd go down 2 sizes.

ETA I guess this isn't it. http://www.patternfish.com/patterns/71

Galluxed
08-06-2013, 10:54 PM
No, that's not the one. Thanks for the tip about the bands though.

salmonmac
08-07-2013, 03:44 AM
Usually it takes 1/3 of the yarn for the front, 1/3 for the back and 1/3 for the sleeves. Do you have about 3 x 100gm balls left?
You don't want the sleeves to be much different in gauge from the body of the sweater. Rather than adjust the needle size, you could see if you could narrow the sleeves and then knit them using the needles that you've already used. That way the gauge would remain the same for sleeves and body. You can use the part you've already knit to see what gauge you are actuallly getting, say the same as the pattern gauge, 14sts/10cm. Calculate how many sts you need for your size sleeves. Use the bands on the front or back to see how many sts you need for your wrist and work with those numbers.
If the pattern has cables up the sleeeves, consider dropping out the cables and using stockinette only on the sleeves. You might make 3/4 sleeves or if you have very little yarn left, maybe a sleeveless vest?

Galluxed
08-07-2013, 05:47 AM
I was thinking of starting the jumper all over again. So wanted to convert the pattern to use the needles suggested for this particular yarn. I really have no idea how to calculate it.

salmonmac
08-07-2013, 06:43 AM
You'll need to do a gauge swatch with the yarn and the larger needles and see how many sts you get per 10cm. For the swatch, cast on about 20sts and knit for about 10cm, then measure the sts over the center 10cm. Once you know the number of sts/10cm you can calculate the number of sts to cast on for the size you want to make. You'll also be able to judge whether you like the knit fabric at this gauge or not.
Don't forget too that you'll need to add a few more sts to the cast on number because the cable work will pull in the knit fabric a bit.