PDA

View Full Version : Learned a new skill

Daylilydayzed
08-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Recently my daughter has been complaining that her fingers are cold even when she wears a pair of work gloves when she is stocking the cooler at her job. So I had a booklet from Patons called Next Steps Mittens And Gloves. In the booklet there is a pair of women's glove pattern knitted with worsted weight yarn. I had some left over worsted weight yarn from a baby blanket I knitted for a one of her co-workers who is expecting a baby. I knitted the blanket and gave it to her at the baby shower.So I was reading the pattern and it called for double pointed needles, which I don't have but I did have circular needles in the sizes it called for. So I casted on the stitches it called for and set up for knitting on magic loop. I was all right knitting it until I got to the point where it says to transfer stitches to needle two. I had to figure out how to manage it on a circular needle. What I did was to divide in half the number of stitches it said to transfer to needle 2, put all the rest of stitches on the needle on waste yarn , turn the needle and cast on the 2 it tells to and knit the matching stitches for the first finger. I knitted it to the length it said to and fastened off.
Then I picked up the stitches for finger 2 and knitted it and so on for all the fingers. Got it finished before she came home from work that evening. Had her try it on and she said it was slightly tight on her. She has her daddy's hand size. So I made her a pair by the men's numbers and she took them to work and she said they keep her fingers warmer. Knitted entirely on Circular needles

GrumpyGramma
08-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Those are great looking gloves, I'm sure they'll see a lot of use. Knowing our DD's hands are cold isn't good. I'm glad you could translate the pattern to circs and she now has warm hands. :thumbsup:

salmonmac
08-08-2013, 05:17 AM
The gloves are perfect and an elegant solution to your daughter's cold hands. You did just the right thing adapting the pattern to your needles. Well done!

Jan in CA
08-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Beautiful gloves!!

@GG love your tag line!!:roflhard:

justplaincharlotte
08-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Congratulations on translating from DPN to circs/Magic Loop! Your gloves are lovely!

claireweber
08-09-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm impressed! Those are some nice looking gloves. And I'm glad that your DD's hands are warmer, I don't like for anyone to be cold.

ArtLady1981
08-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Way to go, and congratulations!

There are still so many techniques that I avoid cuz I just don't want to futz with them. But when I'm pushed to the wall, I cave in and bite the bullet. :wink:

sandylee222
08-14-2013, 04:11 AM
The gloves are lovely and look warm, you daughter doesn't feel cold about her fingers now.