PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloth Poll

sakura-panda
08-15-2013, 10:54 AM
No voting box; this is both informal and open ended. What size do you make your dishclothes?

I'm trying to make placemats for my table, bypassing the swatch step, and have already frogged my work twice. :blush: This third attempt was supposed to be a swatch, but I ended up casting on beyond the swatch width and I'm thinking I might have gone too far.

There was a post in the forums this morning that reminded me that dishcloths are a good way to practice patterns, and I realized that if I called my swatch a dishcloth, I might be able to persuade myself to do it. :teehee:

I'm going to frog my work again and make a swatch -- I mean dishcloth -- in my placemat pattern. I had planned to make my swatch 8"x8", but as I don't use cotton dishcloths myself (I use fluffy microfiber clothes and small cotton & netting knitted "scrubbies"), I wondered if that would be too big for one. Or too small.

Since it's really a matter of personal preference, I thought it would be fun to ask and see what everyone else does. Maybe I'll get a compelling reason to make it some other size. :thumbsup:

I'm not setting up an actual voting poll because I am assuming that the sizes will vary a lot.

claireweber
08-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, I've given away all the dishcloths I've knitted, so I don't have a size for you. I do, however, have a suggestion. Since you don't use dishcloths, how about knitting a washcloth? Great for decorative purposes, perhaps useful for you or maybe coupled with a nice bar of soap, a hostess gift.

Jan in CA
08-15-2013, 12:45 PM
For kitchen use I prefer about 5-6" dishcloths.

vaknitter
08-15-2013, 09:16 PM
All I use in the kitchen are knit cotton cloths! I love them. I make mine roughly 8" x 8". They hold up great and go through the washer like nobody's business. When they do get holes they move to the rag pile for cleaning up around the house.

sakura-panda
08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
The couple of times that I made dishcloths to try out, I only made them about 4 or 5 inches square -- I wonder now if they didn't work for me because they were so small?

I frogged my third placemat attempt and cast on using the cable cast on instead of long tail -- I normally like this one better but it's more work, especially with two strands. I got impatient and stopped at 32 stitches instead of going out to 64, which had been my intention. I can't seem to make up my mind! LOL I'm going to finish this one (really!) so that I can wash it with my current (store-bought) placemats and see how it comes out.

GrumpyGramma
08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I prefer dishcloths that are about 6" or 7" squares. Larger or smaller pieces are still useful for other things. What pattern are you using for your place mats? I was playing with blanket rib stitch yesterday (yeah, making a dishcloth) and think it would make a nice place mat.

jinxnit55
08-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Funny, I just finished one an hour ago. I just eyeballed it and worked until it "looked" right. I just measured it and it is 8 x 6.5 inches.

GrumpyGramma
08-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Funny, I just finished one an hour ago. I just eyeballed it and worked until it "looked" right. I just measured it and it is 8 x 6.5 inches.
LOL my guesstimate is 6" or 7" I just eyeball them too! I know if they get too big I feel like I'm trying to wash dishes with a towel and if they're too small I can't hold on to them very well. Some stretch more than others when they're wet, depending on the stitches and those I like smaller.

Woofens
08-17-2013, 02:27 AM
I mainly eyeball mine too, that or fold it on the diagonal until it makes a triangle, so they are usually about 7 inches square. The Ballband cloth I just finished is much larger than that and not square, caused it was turning into a towel.

justplaincharlotte
08-18-2013, 08:58 PM
I like mine between 9 to 12" square. Dishcloths in my house double as kitchen towels. :mrgreen:

sakura-panda
08-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I prefer dishcloths that are about 6" or 7" squares. Larger or smaller pieces are still useful for other things. What pattern are you using for your place mats? I was playing with blanket rib stitch yesterday (yeah, making a dishcloth) and think it would make a nice place mat.

As a matter of fact, I am using the Basket Rib Hand Towel pattern -- is that the same one that you were doing?

Ravelry Link (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basket-rib-hand-towel)
Blog Link (http://traciknits.blogspot.com/2008/05/basket-rib-hand-towel-free-pattern.html)

It's about 10 inches wide and has two too many stitches on it (so the pattern is not even) and I'm looking to frog and restart again.

I've never frogged a pattern so many times (and for no good reason)! I must be reluctant to finish it and let it go. :roflhard: I shouldn't be, since I want to make at least one batch of six matching placemats. :knitting:

sakura-panda
08-19-2013, 10:35 AM
I mainly eyeball mine too, that or fold it on the diagonal until it makes a triangle, so they are usually about 7 inches square. The Ballband cloth I just finished is much larger than that and not square, caused it was turning into a towel.

LOL That made me giggle. :)

sakura-panda
08-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I like mine between 9 to 12" square. Dishcloths in my house double as kitchen towels. :mrgreen:

I used to use kitchen towels for napkins; when I realized I was doing that, I switched from paper napkins to cloth napkins. Then the kids came and I was constantly washing clean napkins because I couldn't tell if they'd used them; we're back to paper since it's easier to tell with paper whether or not they've touched them. I look forward to going back to cloth though -- I think they work better!

Then I stared using kitchen towels for placemats, so I bought some cotton placemats at Kohl's. They worked really well, but I only bought two sets (of six) and now that I want more, I can't find them any where.

I'm not sure what I'll need kitchen towels for after this. They'll be restricted to just wiping water off the counter and sink, until I decide to start making dishcloths! :roflhard:

GrumpyGramma
08-19-2013, 11:24 AM
As a matter of fact, I am using the Basket Rib Hand Towel pattern -- is that the same one that you were doing?

Ravelry Link (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basket-rib-hand-towel)
Blog Link (http://traciknits.blogspot.com/2008/05/basket-rib-hand-towel-free-pattern.html)

It's about 10 inches wide and has two too many stitches on it (so the pattern is not even) and I'm looking to frog and restart again.

I've never frogged a pattern so many times (and for no good reason)! I must be reluctant to finish it and let it go. :roflhard: I shouldn't be, since I want to make at least one batch of six matching placemats. :knitting:

I like that pattern. I've about decided I don't like the blanket rib. It's a knitter's prerogative to change her mind. Blanket Rib (http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/blanket_rib.htm)

I use cloth napkins. Maybe I'll just knit up a new batch since the ones I have could probably register to vote. When the kids were younger and I figured the napkins could be used more than once we each had our own napkin ring.

Jan in CA
08-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I guessed 6-7", but I eyeball mine and several of them are rectangular so in some I knit till I got sick of it and quit. Fortunately it doesn't matter with dishcloths. :teehee:

GrumpyGramma
08-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Jan, we all seem to have that in common. If it's a size that works, then it's the right size. :teehee: I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes them that way. I do try to end a pattern repeat on the right row.

Jan in CA
08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Jan, we all seem to have that in common. If it's a size that works, then it's the right size. :teehee: I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes them that way. I do try to end a pattern repeat on the right row.

Agreed. Making them diagonal would keep them square, but rectangle works fine. I should make some new ones and share. I've got too many WIP though and nothing will get done if I start another! :zombie:

sakura-panda
08-19-2013, 02:10 PM
What? You all don't do a gauge swatch before you make your dishclothes to make sure they all come out the same every time? :noway: :teehee:

I did figure it wouldn't be exact, but I thought there might still be a common range of sizes. :knitting:

How about the number of strands? Mostly single strand or double strand? I've used one strand in the past, but I like how the two strands feel in my hands right now and wonder if I should have been doing that all along. Maybe I just like a thicker cloth. :think:

Jan in CA
08-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I use one strand only. When they are too thick they don't dry well and get smelly quicker IMO. I think wet ones probably breed bacteria quicker, but I'm not sure. Anyway, one strand and not too tightly knit for me.

sakura-panda
08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I like that pattern. I've about decided I don't like the blanket rib. It's a knitter's prerogative to change her mind. Blanket Rib (http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/blanket_rib.htm)

I use cloth napkins. Maybe I'll just knit up a new batch since the ones I have could probably register to vote. When the kids were younger and I figured the napkins could be used more than once we each had our own napkin ring.

That looks like it comes out nice and soft and squishy. :inlove: Maybe too squishy for not-blankets?

Napkin rings are a clever idea -- I hadn't thought of that! Still, we're committed now and it's nice that when the classrooms ask for more napkins, I can just tuck a bundle into the appropriate backpack, plus they're handy for all those inevitable potlucks that come with after school activities.

sakura-panda
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
I use one strand only. When they are too thick they don't dry well and get smelly quicker IMO. I think wet ones probably breed bacteria quicker, but I'm not sure. Anyway, one strand and not too tightly knit for me.

Oh, that makes sense to me -- it's true they have to dry really well or they get that distinctive *smell* that clings to your hands after you wring it out.

Maybe I'm making a swatch/hotpad! :)

claireweber
08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
That Blanket Rib would annoy the %*ll out of me :noway: , I couldn't imagine doing a whole blanket in that stitch. My wrists are hurting just thinking about it.

The Basket Rib Hand Towel, on the other hand, looks like it would be a joy to knit up. I would consider making a lightweight summer blanket in this stitch, not for our bed though, it's a King size :roflhard: seems like it might be a bit unwieldy to knit up.

GrumpyGramma
08-19-2013, 05:08 PM
That looks like it comes out nice and soft and squishy. :inlove: Maybe too squishy for not-blankets?

Napkin rings are a clever idea -- I hadn't thought of that! Still, we're committed now and it's nice that when the classrooms ask for more napkins, I can just tuck a bundle into the appropriate backpack, plus they're handy for all those inevitable potlucks that come with after school activities.

Whatever works in the napkin dept. is what works.

I got the WIP out to see why I was thinking of frogging it and I guess it was that I don't like working the stitch pattern. The texture should make a good scrubber cloth. I wouldn't call it soft and squishy but that's partly the yarn I'm using. I'm thinking it's Lion Brand cotton but with no label on it for years I can't be sure. It's 1/2 way to square so even with uneven sts I think I'll finish it.

GrumpyGramma
08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
That Blanket Rib would annoy the %*ll out of me :noway: , I couldn't imagine doing a whole blanket in that stitch. My wrists are hurting just thinking about it.

The Basket Rib Hand Towel, on the other hand, looks like it would be a joy to knit up. I would consider making a lightweight summer blanket in this stitch, not for our bed though, it's a King size :roflhard: seems like it might be a bit unwieldy to knit up.

I'm not finding it painful literally but it is a pain which is why it's still OTN. I think I'll finish this cloth and then I may never use the stitch again. I'm liking the basket rib too.

ArtLady1981
08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I try to keep my dishcloths to 7x7 or 8x8.

No larger cuz then they are difficult for me to work with in the kitchen. I don't like huge terry bath/face cloths either.

claireweber
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: I found this dishcloth pattern, going to add it to my queue. It would make an excellent hostess gift.

Pineapple Dishcloth (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pineapple-dishcloth-5)

ArtLady1981
09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: I found this dishcloth pattern, going to add it to my queue. It would make an excellent hostess gift.

Pineapple Dishcloth (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pineapple-dishcloth-5)

Thanks Claire! Great Pattern! :thumbsup:

justplaincharlotte
09-07-2013, 01:28 AM

Thanks Claire -what a nifty little pattern! I'm adding it to mine too. . .