PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

cre8ivsoul
06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I've recently had both knees replaced and returned to knitting during the recovery period. It's been 25 years since I did much knitting so your site is really a godsend. Thanks.

rfmommy
06-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for this great site. I have been knitting for a few years, but lately I am trying to move out of my comfort zone and try new things. So far so good, I love that I can find answers to just about any topic on the site.
Sarah

Jeremy
06-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Welcome everyone:hug:. This site is one of the reasons why I love to knit. I'm glad you've become members.

Braden
06-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I second what Jeremy just said! Welcome to the boards!

jordanfay
06-06-2007, 09:50 PM
hi,my name is linda i'm from new york city,i always had the passion
of learning to knitt.i started knitting last year nov.06' and since i
started i've been on the roll.i made 5 scarfs and 4hats.i also know how to crochet so learning how to knitt was'nt hard to learn.now i
want to start on something more advance and may be need some
help.

HereByGrace
06-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello, I found your site looking for a pattern for socks on one needle. Thank you for being here. I am a novice knitter and home bound with a very sick husband. You have made my day and helped fill my nights with something that I enjoy doing. I now have something to take my mind off him (my husband) being on hospice.
Thanks

HereByGrace
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Hello, we have something in common I was born in New York City. I now live in Detroit. Try socks it's a good place to learn new stiches.

Adrux
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Hello, I'm Adriana and I'm also a new knitter from Montreal Canada. This site has really helped me to get started... thanks!

NHknits
06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Hi fellow knitters, I've been knitting for about three years but have felt like a novice so I've signed up for TKGA's correspondence course starting with the BASICS, BASICS, BASICS program. I felt like I needed to build my knowledge base rather than forget what I learned on different projects. So I'm sure this website will be a huge help to me. NHknitter

Luanne
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi, I've only been knitting for a year, so I'm still learning all the terms and such. I may need help!:shrug:

SusanAnn
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi, my name is Susan and I have just learnt to cast on using the brilliant video you have:happydance:

I'm forty five, live in the eastern part of the UK with my husband and three sons. I'm learning to knit as my youngest son keeps asking me to make him a stripey scarf...I may have to ask for some help!

Aussiekaz
06-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi All, I'm Karen from Australia and have been lurking for a few weeks now and finally joined up.

I am a mad keen knitter and as we are in winter here right now its the perfect time to knit all those projects~!

Karen :happydancing:

five_six
06-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Karen, welcome to the forum. Where in Aus are you?

Jeremy
06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Welcome Everyone:hug:
Don't be afraid to post questions in the How To Questions Forum.

ahkatelier
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
I am a fairly new knitter. This will be my 3rd summer knitting. I live in Redlands California. This looks like a pretty nice group. I actually joined because I saw a couple of posts looking for groups to knit with. I thought I could share where I go. There a nice bunch of women who meet.
I often go knitting at Knitting Knight at the Yarn Deli in Redlands. I have received a lot of help from Sharon and Becky there. We meet every Wednesday from 6-9 pm. They do not scrutinize that you have bought all your knitting supplies from them. It is a pretty new store with a limited selection of yarns, though they have some really nice ones that are natural fibers.
It's nice to be a part of your group.
Allison

Jenny Anne
06-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Hello to everyone, My name is Jenny Anne and I live in Sydney, Australia. I do love to knit, crochet and quilt in between looking after my 86 year old mother and sewing my own clothes, not to mention my husband and gorgeous poodle 'Ani'. Soon to be a grandmother, for the first time, at the early age of 54! Baby due in October 07 (we have knicknamed the baby 'Olive" because he/she was only the size of an olive when we saw the first ultrasound). So here I am madly knitting up tiny things for Olive and making too many mistakes. Knowing that my efforts will be closely scrutinized by a very clever mother-to-be daughter Samantha, I am endeavouring to improve (as one always does). It was persistence that led me to this wonderful place and thanks to Kiniting Help I have already found the answer to the problem I needed to solve! :muah: One question though, can I and if so, how can I, post pictures of my finished work to share with all our knitters. Modestly yours, Jenny Anne:hug:

Jenny Anne
06-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Karen, I have just joined knittinghelp too. Do you live in Sydney? I live in Cronulla. Jenny Anne.

Given to Faith
06-08-2007, 08:24 AM
:muah: I've been looking for a while and just registered. I look forward to all I can learn here.

Luna Scarlet
06-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey, everybody! My name is Laura, I'm 22 and I started knitting a few months ago, I used the portuguese method, but I switched to continental because it was faster and easier to follow amy's videos! I hope that I can learn a lot here :)

nadja la claire
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Welcome new friends :waving:

You've come to the right place for friendly help, enabling and support.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Mamakat3
06-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi, I am new here and hope to be able to learn many new things. I am a quilter and crocheter (word?) but I am new to knitting and I am determined to get better. I love the felted wool and have circular knit a tote bag which did not come out too bad. I have a problem now though that I hope someone can help me with. I am knitting a simple stockinette stitch scarf but my edges keep rolling under after a few rows so I ripped out about three times now, what am I doing wrong? Help if you can I really like knitting but I am getting frustrated!!! Thanks.

Jeremy
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome Everyone.:hug:

I notice that we have a number of new members from Australia. Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=52075) is a link that will help you hook up with each other.

Jeremy
06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi, I am new here and hope to be able to learn many new things. I am a quilter and crocheter (word?) but I am new to knitting and I am determined to get better. I love the felted wool and have circular knit a tote bag which did not come out too bad. I have a problem now though that I hope someone can help me with. I am knitting a simple stockinette stitch scarf but my edges keep rolling under after a few rows so I ripped out about three times now, what am I doing wrong? Help if you can I really like knitting but I am getting frustrated!!! Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. The problem you describe is a very very common one. So common in fact that there is a sticky here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=32810) . You are doing nothing wrong. The tension difference between the knit and purl stitches causes this. There are solutions mentioned in the thread.

Jeremy
06-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Hello to everyone, My name is Jenny Anne and I live in Sydney, Australia. I do love to knit, crochet and quilt in between looking after my 86 year old mother and sewing my own clothes, not to mention my husband and gorgeous poodle 'Ani'. Soon to be a grandmother, for the first time, at the early age of 54! Baby due in October 07 (we have knicknamed the baby 'Olive" because he/she was only the size of an olive when we saw the first ultrasound). So here I am madly knitting up tiny things for Olive and making too many mistakes. Knowing that my efforts will be closely scrutinized by a very clever mother-to-be daughter Samantha, I am endeavouring to improve (as one always does). It was persistence that led me to this wonderful place and thanks to Kiniting Help I have already found the answer to the problem I needed to solve! :muah: One question though, can I and if so, how can I, post pictures of my finished work to share with all our knitters. Modestly yours, Jenny Anne:hug:

Welcome Jenny. Congrats on Olive. Pictures can be uploaded by replying to a thread or starting a new one. As part of your reply, you would press the button marked "attachment." Then you would attach a picture that you have saved on your computer. Keep in mind that there is a size restriction here so you may need to resize the picture. The program under which you are saving the picture may help you do this or you may need to use a resizer on the internet. There are several who do it for free.Here (http://www.shrinkpictures.com/) is one that I have used in the past. Come back and ask more questions. We love to help here.

dulcimerlady
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
What a great site. I've been knitting on and off since I was 6. But now getting into it with a passion. :heart: I do however have a problem and I'm getting really frustrated. I am knitting with 2 strands of cotton yarn, making a really quick and easy summer pull over. However, the yarns continue to twist together forming knots. Does anyone have a trick to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance.

MaryG1959
06-08-2007, 08:37 PM
My name is Mary, I'm 48 and have 3 grown children, a 7 yr old grandson and another grandchild on the way. I'm happily married and we have several pets (dogs and parrots).

Started knitting as a child and I want to start again.

CadMax
06-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm new to knitting and am just getting the basic -- I can see that there's alot to learn but this site will be a major help in bettering my skill.::thumbsup:

MaleKnitter
06-08-2007, 10:30 PM
well then, here is my first post, i have been visiting this site for a while now and am glad to finally be a part of it. i am a 16 year old male knitter. I learned how to knit and crochet in November 2006 and have done it all winter and most of this spring in my free time. I have tried to be a little quiet about being able to knit because I'm a boy, but now that I am seeing more and more men doing it (and I found out that some of the first knitters were men who made fishing nets) I feel much more comfortable with it. So, "Hello Everybody".

Knitting_Guy
06-08-2007, 10:36 PM
well then, here is my first post, i have been visiting this site for a while now and am glad to finally be a part of it. i am a 16 year old male knitter. I learned how to knit and crochet in November 2006 and have done it all winter and most of this spring in my free time. I have tried to be a little quiet about being able to knit because I'm a boy, but now that I am seeing more and more men doing it (and I found out that some of the first knitters were men who made fishing nets) I feel much more comfortable with it. So, "Hello Everybody".

Welcome! Glad to see another guy knitter here. :cheering:

Mamakat3
06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
ok so now I tried the garter stitch for 3 rows before starting the stockinette and 2 stitches of k at the beginning and ending of every purl row and then 46 of purl and of course 50 right across on the knit row so that it won't curl up, but now instead of 50 stitches I am increasing somehow?! Any ideas as to what I am doing?

MaleKnitter
06-09-2007, 01:31 AM
if you are switching from knit to purl for your border are you making sure to keep the yarn in the back of the needles for knit and then bringing the yarn between the needles to the front to purl? if you dont remember to move the yarn between the needles and to the back (for knit) and to the front (for purl) then you get a yarn over increase, it's very easy for beginning english knitters to make that mistake.

clothmama
06-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Hello! I'm a mom to our son Ashwin who is almost 14 mths old - we cloth diaper and I am learning to knit so I will be able to make wool soakers, shorties and longies to go over his super cute fitted cloth diapers!

I lvoe Blackberry Ridge wool www.blackberry-ridge.com and am practicing on Plymouth Outback wool.

Tara

Braden
06-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Welcome, everybody!

luv2knit2
06-09-2007, 07:49 AM
One of the knit shop owners that I frequent told me about this site. I've been knitting for years but this site is a big help, a quick reference. What an ingenious idea. Can't wait to see what you will continue to do with it. Thanks Amy. Let us fans know when you're in the Chicago area for whatever reason. It would be nice to meet you, have a knitting get-together.

Nora
06-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I have knitted since I was 15, and I'm 60 now, still learning and loving knitting.
Nora

Yas
06-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi !
I just joined this forum. This site seems so good with all the fantastic videos. I've wanted to learn knitting for a long time now and have finally plunged in. In the part of the world where I live it's very difficult to get craft supplies and getting yarn is an even greater challenge. What we get out here is inferior quality local nameless yarn :pout:.
But I've decided to ignore :thinking:that and go ahead with the learning to knit part:rollseyes:. I hope to meet a lot of friends here and ofcourse learn the art too :knitting:
Love ,
Yas

LadyCunegonde
06-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I just stumbled upon this website and decided to join. I started knitting 6 yrs ago after an accident made me unable to work for a long time. Daytime TV was just rotting my brain so I bought some books and tried to teach myself. I'm still trying to learn the basics and have started knitting classes. I figured this group might help supplement my learning and hopefully I can make some new friends.
Peace :lol:

Tutu Carol
06-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Hello All,

I have been off line for a while now, an illness has wracked me crazy. I am feeling better & of course have picked up my needles again!

I love this site!!

Many thanks for being here !!
Carol

Braden
06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
:shock: 5 new members?! Welcome, everybody! Hope you like it here, we're very friendly. :thumbsup:

cellorose
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Everyone. I just started knitting about a year ago with a great deal of help from this site! My posts (and knitting) have been a bit sporatic... I got side tracked with my student teaching semester (SO much fun teaching orchestra grades 4-12!!!), and a spring semester of teaching elementary general music (learned a LOT from that experience).
I love reading everyone's posts, and seeing the pictures of FO's. They are so inspiring!

:-)

manam1
06-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi my Name is Maxine, I am a keen knitter and have stumbled across your forum while searching for info on continental knitting. I am starting to get some RSI in my R forearm and have been looking for ways to help that. I have watched some of your very helpful videos and am on the way to learning the new technique.
I am from New Zealand and I guess will be on line when most of you are in your beds.

Jeremy
06-09-2007, 11:27 PM
:hug:What a great site. I've been knitting on and off since I was 6. But now getting into it with a passion. :heart: I do however have a problem and I'm getting really frustrated. I am knitting with 2 strands of cotton yarn, making a really quick and easy summer pull over. However, the yarns continue to twist together forming knots. Does anyone have a trick to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance.

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Off the top of my head, probably the best way to prevent yarn from tangling is to put the balls in tw separate bags. I'm going to copy your post and put it in the how to question forum to see if anyone else has an idea. So have a look there because we are a pretty helpful bunch:hug:

Jeremy
06-09-2007, 11:42 PM
[quote=Mamakat3;874462]ok so now I tried the garter stitch for 3 rows before starting the stockinette and 2 stitches of k at the beginning and ending of every purl row and then 46 of purl and of course 50 right across on the knit row so that it won't curl up, but now instead of 50 stitches I am increasing somehow?! Any ideas as to what I am doing

This is a common problem and the subject of yet another sticky.

here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=32886) :thumbsup:

Jeremy
06-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Welcome to all new and returning members.:hug:

Zebragirlnz
06-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi! My name is Deb, I live in NZ, I am 28 years old and my Dad taught me to knit when I was 10. I never really grasped it back then, but got into it a couple of years ago, while Dad was sick in hospital. It helped pass the time while he was sleeping etc. Unfortunately Dad passed away on July 16, 2005 from his brain tumour, but I am still knitting. Its something that reminds me of him, something I have because of him, and something that only he and I shared an interest in (my sisters weren't interested) so its a special thing for me. I haven't pulled out my needles in a few months, been busy with a new job, and the summer heat doesn't encourage knitting! Plus the store I get my knitting supplies from, cuts right back to basic wool in the summer, and that's not too inspiring! But winter has arrived, and the craving for the wool and needles has finally won! Pulled out my stash, and have been inspired to try a hooded scarf! I hate my ears getting cold! I know I will be coming back to the forum many times for hints and lots of help! Would be good to make some friends that share my addiction. Lots of people call me an old granny when they find out I knit! Hope to get to know you all soon.

Zebragirlnz
06-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Oops sorry, that was a bit of ramble!

EriBear
06-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself to ya'll! I am new to the site and am a beginning knitter. I love it so far! All the cool things I am learning on this site are awesome. I have so many more things to learn and I hope you guys won't mind sharing new things with me. :D

hippie2u2
06-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi,
first of all tnx for a good usefull site. For a beginning knitter it's hard to get started when your grandmother is no longer able to help you.
I'm Nadine and live in the Netherlands (born and raised). 30 years old and the last time I knitted whas on my grandma's couch when I whas seven. So I'm a little rusty even when it seems a lot easier now then it did then. While most books have great pictures (specially of the finished project) it's sometimes hard to understand how to get from one picture to the next, so those videos are great.

Right now I'm working on a try out scarf (one messy project to learn how to use all the different techniques and when finished wear proudly) and already bought wool for a couple of pillow covers. The lady in the store is very helpfull but she's to far away to visit every time I run into a problem.

:lol:

losnana
06-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Oops sorry, that was a bit of ramble!

It's not a ramble, it's introducing yourself. I think most of us, at least, are interested in how others became knitters, and why it is so important.

Welcome all. You'll find that everybody here is very helpful, and many are able to answer any questions you may have. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those.

Enjoy

P.S. Has anybody noticed how very many new members we've gotten in the last week or so-many from other countries. We're truly international now.

lissie
06-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone, I'm from Singapore. I tried picking up knitting 10 years ago and failed spectacularly. Never even got past casting on! Decided to give it a shot again in recent months and was really glad to find this site. It's been extremely helpful! :thumbsup:

bajanKnit
06-10-2007, 01:42 PM
:heart:Hi everyone just saying hi I just joined this forum..I am very new to knitting and am teaching myself from watching Diy knitty gritting with the awsome Vicky Howell however i have to give props to this site as well because many times i have had to source this site to seee the videos to get mwe throught a difficult tasks thanks to knittinghelp.com as well.My rreason for joining this forum to to get some more help because i live in the carribbean http://www.barbados.org/do.htmand there is no need for winter garments so i have problems find things to knit that i could use especislly for a very very begginner and everything i learn comes from the internet and honestly sometime i would like to see intructions rather than read them so i hope this forum will be able to help me. :muah:

KnittingNat
06-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Welcome, around the world knitters!:muah:

Braden
06-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Welcome, international knitters! It's great to have you, and I hope you like it here!

And, we are a very helpful community, so we could definately help you with finding beginner patterns. Check the "Pattern Central" board for ideas, there are thousands of patterns listed there.

Susan M
06-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi I am Susan from Michigan..I am a self taught contin..knitter and have been knitting for several years now. I am in the midst of knitting a jumper that has a lace like hem that is a picot stitch..it says to slip two as to knit, knit one then of course slip the two back..but in parens it says sk2p which is not the same as slipping two..have any of you done this stitch before? It isn't hard just don't want to waste alot of time. Thank you. Hope you are having splendid weather like we are currently. Susan :lol:

Jeremy
06-10-2007, 04:50 PM
:heart:Hi everyone just saying hi I just joined this forum..I am very new to knitting and am teaching myself from watching Diy knitty gritting with the awsome Vicky Howell however i have to give props to this site as well because many times i have had to source this site to seee the videos to get mwe throught a difficult tasks thanks to knittinghelp.com as well.My rreason for joining this forum to to get some more help because i live in the carribbean http://www.barbados.org/do.htmand there is no need for winter garments so i have problems find things to knit that i could use especislly for a very very begginner and everything i learn comes from the internet and honestly sometime i would like to see intructions rather than read them so i hope this forum will be able to help me. :muah:

Welcome. I copied your post to the Pattern Central Forum and titled it "Warm Weather knits". Have a look there soon. I'll bet you get some nice responses. :hug::hug:

Jeremy
06-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi I am Susan from Michigan..I am a self taught contin..knitter and have been knitting for several years now. I am in the midst of knitting a jumper that has a lace like hem that is a picot stitch..it says to slip two as to knit, knit one then of course slip the two back..but in parens it says sk2p which is not the same as slipping two..have any of you done this stitch before? It isn't hard just don't want to waste alot of time. Thank you. Hope you are having splendid weather like we are currently. Susan :lol:

Hi Susan, Welcome:hug:

I copied your post to the How to Questions forum. I'm sure you'll get some answers there soon.

Jeremy
06-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi! My name is Deb, I live in NZ, I am 28 years old and my Dad taught me to knit when I was 10. I never really grasped it back then, but got into it a couple of years ago, while Dad was sick in hospital. It helped pass the time while he was sleeping etc. Unfortunately Dad passed away on July 16, 2005 from his brain tumour, but I am still knitting. Its something that reminds me of him, something I have because of him, and something that only he and I shared an interest in (my sisters weren't interested) so its a special thing for me. I haven't pulled out my needles in a few months, been busy with a new job, and the summer heat doesn't encourage knitting! Plus the store I get my knitting supplies from, cuts right back to basic wool in the summer, and that's not too inspiring! But winter has arrived, and the craving for the wool and needles has finally won! Pulled out my stash, and have been inspired to try a hooded scarf! I hate my ears getting cold! I know I will be coming back to the forum many times for hints and lots of help! Would be good to make some friends that share my addiction. Lots of people call me an old granny when they find out I knit! Hope to get to know you all soon.

Welcome :hug: I was very moved to read how you learned to knit. There are lots of friends here you haven't met yet, including several from NZ. Keep coming back:heart:

kaytee
06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi, I'm KT, a new knitter. I love it. I've made about 7 scarves, 5 washcloths, and 1 beanie. I just moved to Washington, USA. My boyfriends mom was the one who taught me how to knit but since we moved from California I've been teaching myself. I'm still learning how to use these forums, but I'm excited to be here. I hope to make some new friends also. :)

dixygrl
06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post on site. I am not quite sure that I am posting correctly so please let me know if I need to post another way. Thank you all for allowing me to join your group. I have used the knitting.com videos and love Knit Pick needles. I just knitted my very first lace shawl and am in love now. I am currently trying to learn double knitting by chart and am not having much success to date but will keep going ahead. Once again, thank you and look forward to getting to know you all. Deborah

Falling2311
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
so i forgot to introduce myself when i first joined the forum so I figured it was better late than never. My name's Courtneyand i live in ATL but i was born in chicago along with the rest of my family all of who still live there. No one in my family does anything crafty which is i think why i wanted to learn. i lik being different and I lik feeling i can actually do something productive and useful. i started about a year and a half ago but i didn't get much done in that time until i decided i was going to make everyone in my family something for their birthday. i'm still scared to take on patterns other than scarves but i hav done a caliometry, roses, and a poncho. ummmmmm, i'm 19, in college, considering becoming a high school history teacher...?
well, i guess i'm done. btw, this is a great site- this site is actually how i learned to knit and hav learned to do everything because i'm a very visual person. so awesome website! and for those who hav answered my posts in the past and helped me out thanks a bunch! ^_^ i really appreciate it!
Courtney

Jeremy
06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Welcome Everyone.:hug:

Braden
06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Welcome! Hope you like the forum, we're a very friendly community!

jacknjadesmom
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone!
I am new to the site and absolutely love it! I learned how to knit a year ago by a family member and still need help on certain things, but learning. This site has helped me so much! :cheering:
I had been busy and had put knitting on the back burner until Sept 06, when my father was diagnosed w/ cancer. We spent many nights and days at a cancer center so I took up knitting again. I now knit on a regular basis and have decided to knit hats for those going through cancer. If any out there does the same or has any suggestions, let me know!
Thanks and have a great day,
Jessica

Jeremy
06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Welcome Jessica.:hug:

I'm very sorry about your dad, I hope he is doing better. I Googled the words "chemo caps" and got a number of sites with patterns.
Here (http://www.chemocaps.com/page3.htm) is one of them. I'll also copy your post to the charity knitting forum here to see what other people have in mind or are doing already.

RosePlummer
06-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi all I'm Rose Plummer. I have decided to learn how to knit and I really hope to get to know everyone.

I have 1 2.5 ounce skien of cotton and 1 pair of size 8 needles and 1 book of dishcloth patterns and this site. Other than that I have no clue:shrug::lol:

Nikki Knits
06-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Thank You Very Much for this GREAT website. I'm very appreciative of all your efforts, Amy. I love to knit, have many projects in the works, but always in need of help. I'm very hopeful that I can learn
a lot here. I'm very excited that I found you.
Nikki Knits

Jeremy
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi all I'm Rose Plummer. I have decided to learn how to knit and I really hope to get to know everyone.

I have 1 2.5 ounce skien of cotton and 1 pair of size 8 needles and 1 book of dishcloth patterns and this site. Other than that I have no clue:shrug::lol:

Go to the Basic Techniques videos and look at casting on first. Then look at the knitting videos. Once you have those down, give purling a try. We're here to help so come back to the How to questions section with any question at all. Believe me, there is no question out there that has not already been asked. We all began sometime so we are especially attentive to beginers
:hug:

lily67
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello, I'm Lily, who is very grateful for the videos. I learned to knit in a Mary Maxim sweater class once a week completing 2. But since then crocheted more. However, I did make a Knitted baby afghan in a lacy pattern. Now, I am in the process of learning to knit a baby cardigan from the top down. It uses terminology I had not known of. I did not know how to join a body. I thought I knew how to CO, only to find there were more than one way in the midst of a row, not using the double strand method which I was familiar with! I have never knitted in the round, so these sleeves will be my first time with 5 dpns which I want to learn to use; want to use 2 cirs also.
So I guess, you know I will be havning a lot of questions. Thanks in advance, to all you giving, experienced knitters to the many of us aspiring to become good enough to in turn help others.
Lily

yetish
06-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Hello, another newcomer here.

Well, there's not much to say about myself, except I currently live in Texas and in September I'm going off to college in Chicago, so I've been frantically knitting these past few months to prepare myself for the climate change :) This community seems like a great place to share ideas, and I'm excited to be a part of it!

bpenatzer
06-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Hello everyone, what a wonderful site. I like many of you, have quite a stash of yarn at home and am always looking for new ideas. Just started with Mericash. what a wonderful soft yarn, so different from the bulkies I usually use. love the idea of shipping a project around and of course like doing the charity projects. look forward to chatting and knitting with you. Barbara:thumbsup:

Braden
06-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Welcome, everyone! We've glad to have you, and I hope you like it here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Barbara, I love Mericash, too. Loooooove it.

knittingbrooke
06-12-2007, 09:54 AM
hi, everyone. i'm something of a beginning knitter. i've finally started a project that is not a scarf. but, i'm sure, i'll have many questions to ask. this is such a great place. so happy that i've stumbled upon it!

JILL870
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi all ,I'm new to knitting also-but i watched my mom and grandmothers for years. This is such a great site for new knitters and expierienced ones also( i showed my mom the kitchner stich). thank you for a great site! : ))

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

jillliv
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm Jill, I'm 33 and have been knitting for about a year.(i did learn when I was about 7 from my nan, but gave it up, then learnt again at college - it was part of my nursery nurse course)i then didn't do anything for about 10 years, then when my church got involved with Operation Christmas Child I decided to start again.I sat down with a book one afternoon and spent several hours teaching myself to make a slip knot and cast on - which I never got the hang of before.:lol:

I'm still a plain knitter,I've done about 60 hats/scarves/mittens over the years. I'm currently losing weight with another stone and a half still to lose, so I'm not knitting for myself - yet!But I am going to two knitting groups and am feeling inspired to learn one new technique at a time:think:

Braden
06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome, everybody! Hope you have a great time here!

psquidy
06-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone! I love to knit but im not so goog with computers...this may be interesting.
_meg

Jan in CA
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the new members! :cheering:

Arkanknit
06-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Hello.. I'm in Arkansas and I'm a beginner. I know how to do th knit and purl stitches and whenever I have a hole in my project I don't know how to fix it, so I've joined this knitting forum to hopefully find some help..It's good to belong and Hello to everyone here!!

dduncanbna
06-12-2007, 05:46 PM
:cheering::cheering:

Can someone help me with how to slip purlwise? I am having brain freeze LOL

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Stick your right needle directly across into the first stitch on your left needle (just like you would if you were about to purl) and move it directly across to the right needle :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone, what a wonderful site. I like many of you, have quite a stash of yarn at home and am always looking for new ideas. Just started with Mericash. what a wonderful soft yarn, so different from the bulkies I usually use. love the idea of shipping a project around and of course like doing the charity projects. look forward to chatting and knitting with you. Barbara:thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum :hug:

CCLady
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Allow me to introduce myself. CCLady's the name. I just found this site today, and it looks like fun. I've only been knitting for,er, um, maybe. . .45 years; someday I'll get good at it! :lol:

I live in Culver City (hence the CC), just a few blocks from the Sony studio. LA is not exactly prime knitting territory, but now that they have so many great non-wool yarns, I get to make more things for myself and fewer for friends in distant, cooler climes.

I graduated from UCLA a looooooooong time ago, and I've been married for almost 37 years to the perfect man for me. I don't have kids, and we aren't allowed to have pets.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of my fellow knitters here!

losnana
06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Stick your right needle directly across into the first stitch on your left needle (just like you would if you were about to purl) and move it directly across to the left needle :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum

I think Jeremy meant move it directly across to the right needle.

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Correct. Thanks
:heart:

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Welcome to the forum:hug:

Terimemory@aol.com
06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Just need help with the meaning of Seed Stitch Bo all stitches. What does Bo mean Please.

Terimemory@aol.com
06-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Sorry but this is the first time for me and not sure what I am doing. Would someone be kind enought to Email me the meaning of Bo all sts? The instructions state:

Work 2: in seed stitch.
Bo all sts.

Thanks for your help.

Teri
Terimemory@aol.com

KnittingNat
06-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Sorry but this is the first time for me and not sure what I am doing. Would someone be kind enought to Email me the meaning of Bo all sts? The instructions state:

Work 2: in seed stitch.
Bo all sts.

Thanks for your help.

Teri
Terimemory@aol.com

Bo means bind off. You can check it out in th eglossary on this site and Amy also has videos to demonstrate. :hug:

Myawt
06-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I am new here and very happy I came to be here. I found this site by going to knitting help. I have been knitting for many years, but took a few years off for other crafts. I keep coming back to knitting and recently made an outfit for my new grandson. I am looking forward to being a part of this group.
myawt:

Jeremy
06-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the Forum:hug:

There is a How to Questions Forum here that is a great place to get questions answered.

winterblues
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Patrizia and this is my very first post, but still feeling my way around. I'm sure this will be a great forum with lots of lovely crafters!

I've been knitting a little over 20 years, mostly sweaters / summer tops and started knitting socks about a year ago.

I also have a couple of free sweater patterns on my blog should anybody be interested. :clink:

www.ziaperamore.blogspot.com

Cheers!

:waving:

vanessapullum
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have been on here before, but have always lingered in the backround checking out everyone elses posts and progress. I have decided to stop being a wall flower and join in on the converstions going on in Knitting Help. Amy of love this website and the new updates. There are a lot of good resources for new knitters as well as well seasoned knitters. I am also a spinner and find the posts for spinning enlightening as well. I look forward to speaking with all of you at sometime. And thanks to all for this wonderful site because you all contribute to its wonder.

Stiney
06-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Jeremy
06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the Forum. :hug:

Wicked Knitter Girl
06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Ok hi. I'm Wicked Knitter Girl or Aubrey. I'm new and l like to knit so I guesse I'm in the right spot. So if you live in Iowa feel free to talk to me and even if you don't live near me send me message to talk.

-Wicked Knitter Girl

Braden
06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Welcome, new members!

knitsy
06-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Right-this is the 2nd time I've typed in this box and this time I hope I don't press the wrong key and loose the lot. infact to avoid super frustration I think I will keep this intro short until I know I'm doing it right!!

I'm a baby UK beginner to knitting and these forum/bloggy things and have spent about an hour trying to work out how to post -let alone where!!

I don't have access to anyone nearby to help me with learning knitting so I'm hoping when I get totally stuck on the simplest part of whatever my project is, that some kind person here might be able to help me and thus stop me giving up forever in a total tizzy!!

here's hoping I've done this bit right so far...!!!

cdjack
06-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone. I have this site in my favorite lists and use the videos all the time. What a find for a visual learner! Anyway, my predicament is this:

I'm making a tank top and the pattern says at the beginning of the next row to switch from #7 needles to #6 circular needles and "using the #6 needles, CO 30 sts, p across bodice sts (the sts that were on the #7 needles), CO 30 sts. The only way I know how to increase by casting on is the single cast on and it doesn't seem to work here.
I'm so confused... This is the first thing that I've attempted that is not square or a rectangle.

mary.k
06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I am a new glad member of this community and i am truly excited to join such a warm and welcomming comunity and i thank all the persons who have invested their time and knowledge for making knitting so easy and fun for young begginers like me.:happydancing:

Thank you and best of luck. :cheering:

Regards,
Mary.K:muah::muah:

Braden
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the forum! We're very friendly and helpful, and I hope you like it here. It's great to have you, and all of the other new members.

Jeremy
06-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Patrizia and this is my very first post, but still feeling my way around. I'm sure this will be a great forum with lots of lovely crafters!

I've been knitting a little over 20 years, mostly sweaters / summer tops and started knitting socks about a year ago.

I also have a couple of free sweater patterns on my blog should anybody be interested. :clink:

www.ziaperamore.blogspot.com (http://www.ziaperamore.blogspot.com)

Cheers!

Welcome Patrizia! You certainly have some beautiful knitting on your blog. :thumbsup:

Aliann
06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Everybody

My is Alisha and I taught myself knitting a little over 5 months ago, thanks to the Knitty Gritty and KH for the videos. When I don't understand how a stitch is done, I come here for answers and Amy has not let me down yet. P.S. Did anybody catch Amy on Knitty Gritty this morning?

Patriciakitty
06-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi, my name is Patricia and I am twenty years old. I haven't been knitting for long and I found this site to be a wonderful help.

Braden
06-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Welcome, all! Take a look around the boards and see how we're set up. We have forums for just about everything! Hope you like it here, it's great to have you!

caljy
06-14-2007, 02:01 AM
I am sure glad to have found this site. I am a self-taught knitter and I'm eager to learn more....thank you......

Braden
06-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Welcome! I'm also a self-taught knitter, so we have that in common!

bah
06-14-2007, 04:01 AM
My name is Becki and I live in Japan. I decide knitting was a good way to keep myself busy in the evenings when I don't have a lot to do.

I'm self taught as well, and am currently working on my first project. Its a baby blanket, nothing special, just the knit stitch all the way but I'll be adorning it with little white bows when I'm finished (mostly to hide my mistakes!) :)

I use bamboo needles, as they are the only ones sold in the store close to me but have purchased some metal ones on a trip back to the states.

I travel a lot for work and pleasure, and am hoping to meet some fellow knitters along the way, as well as add to my yarn collection (I'm a sucker when I see something pretty or soft!)

mknitter
06-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to do a quick intro since I just signed up. I've been knitting over 25 years, machine knitting about 11 years and I took up spinning about a year and a half ago. Love the videos here as there's always something new to learn.

Terri in VA

Tyldak
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi All,

love the video's on this site, sometimes you need more than a book. I have been a knitter for 2 years now and live in the Netherlands.

greetz, Niek
(ow, despite the name, yes I am a girl)

Brian
06-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello everyone,

i am new here and novice in knitting. I always wanted to learn knitting and here i am now. Thanks everyone,i am Brian from Malaysia

Brian

Jeremy
06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Welcome everyone! :hug:What a great bunch of new members.I don't really think there is a part of the world now where we don't have members. (I did Tivo Amy yesterday. It was the first time I saw the episode:cheering:)

mommeo
06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi all- I discovered this site as I was trying to find out more about entrelac knitting. I have been knitting for 100 years and just learned about this method! It is certainly impressive. I have been trying to read the notes that are listed here, but I keep getting sent to unrelated places??? I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out!!

mommeo

betty bat
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Howdy,
I'm a new knitter from the Chicago area. I've been doing cross-stitch for over 20 years and sew a little, mainly things for the house like pillows and curtains and camping accessories - those are much less expensive to make than to buy and a lot easier to find!

I got started knitting after I took a beginning weaving class at Fine Line in St. Charles, IL last summer. I like the geometric aspects of weaving, but it's not very portable! Neither is cross-stitch. Knitting has a lot of geometric aspects to it and it's much more portable.

I watched the KnittingHelp videos and they helped a lot. But, I also watched the CraftSanity one - that worked out the best for me. I was having a lot of trouble figuring out how to hold the yarn initially. Now, I'm pretty zippy! And, my husband says that I'm not frowning as much while I'm knitting.

SusanMarie
06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
hi!

I use to knit in grade schoo and Jr, High. I am just getting a REFRESHER COURSE. Since it's been 40 some years since I have done this, I think I need it, BAD.

I'm trying different stitches.

Susan

Braden
06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Welcome, everybody!

veronikaj
06-14-2007, 05:20 PM
My name is Veronika and I'm 25 years old. I am new to knitting and got referred over to this website for help if I got stuck by a nice lady that I took a private lesson from about 3 weeks ago at a local yarn store. I live in Bothell, WA temporarily and am remodeling my home in Woodinville, WA, which I hope to be in by the end of Sept. I am originally from Czech Republic and immigrated to the US with my parents when I was 5 years old. I speak informal Czech fluently, because my parents spoke it at home while I was growing up and I went back to Czech almost every summer during my teenage years. However, English is my "first" language, because I grew up here.

My grandmother used to knit beautiful sweaters and outfits for me as a child and I have always had a great love and admiration for knitting work. I remember my grandmother's love for the craft and that is what has inspired my curiosity. My grandmother has since passed, and I never got a chance to learn the art of knitting from her. Recently, I have felt an urge to want to learn to knit and have started learning the basics.

This is a wonderful website!! And, I hope to get to know everyone on the forums, have some fun chatting, and learn more about knitting.

-Ve

Braden
06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Welcome, all!

fillyvet
06-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Yay! This site rocks! I am a recently renewed knitter this past winter thanks to a friend teaching me how to knit socks. I am a sock addict now :) Yippee! Great to "meet" y'all!

Braden
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Welcome! Hope you like it here. Socks are addicting, arent they?

Jeremy
06-14-2007, 11:36 PM

poodlemom
06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
i am new to knittinghelp.com. i am a fairly new knitter. i tried to teach myself years ago, but couldn't get past the cast on:??. a couple of years ago, a girlfriend-whom i had taught to crochet-said she had taught herself to knit. not to be outdone, i pulled out the age-old kit and gave it another whirl:knitting:. in no time, i had a scarf to go with my new coat:woohoo:

now, i am trying to advance past knit and purl, and make something besides dog sweaters.

i'm so glad i found knittinghelp.com:figureditout:i'm sure it will be an invaluable resource.

Braden
06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the forum! This is truly the best forum there is!

Jeremy
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Welcome Poodlemom.:hug:

Waenara
06-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm a relatively new knitter (taught myself last fall by using the videos on knittinghelp.com - this is a great website!)

I've done the obligatory garter stitch scarf, and a small easy shawl. Now I'm working on a felted purse and a lace scarf. Hopefully I'll get a camera soon, and post some FO pictures here.

tramonte
06-15-2007, 11:11 PM

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
I'm thrilled to have found this site. I was searching for instructions on how to "p2togtbl'" and found y'all. Never did find out how to do the above. Guess I'll have to go to my LYS for some instructions.

If anyone can explain the stitch variation, I would be most appreciative.

Waenara
06-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Actually, p2tobtbl was one of the first things I looked up on this site, since I needed it for a lace scarf I'm working on.

There's a link to a video in the Glossary section, here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/

gargoylelib
06-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a self taught knitter and the videos here are invaluable for seeing how some techniques are done when the flat descriptions in books fall a bit short! I never knit the
obligatory beginner scarf :D just jumped right in with a pair of pants
for my baby girl and went from there. Have had some disappointments
with sock knitting but I am working out the problems hopefully...I live
in Finland and wooly socks in the winter are a must! I am currently
working on my first intarsia project (a sweater with a simple color
motif on the front) and my first impressions are I hate intarsia! :) I
think I better give it some time though because doing anything for
the first time feels awkward. :)
gargoylelib

my8kidsmom
06-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi I am Rachel and I just picked up knitting again after about 7 years. I also sew and quilt. Nice to be here :)

catmondo
06-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I've been cruising around the web and this is just the best, most comprehensive, professionally done, user friendly site for knitters out there. As just a wash cloth knitter, I am that low brow:oops: "thrower" type, who is trying to move into the bigger leagues using the Continental method to create:knitting: beautiful scarves, sweaters, and afghans for my family. I've tried and tried to master the Continental method, but it feels cumbersome, makes my fingers and hands ache and generally just frustrates:frog: me to no end. I'm beginning to think that maybe some people's hands, finger shapes and strength allow them to master this method more easily than others. My rendition of the throwing type of knitting causes me to rest my right needle on my leg in order to keep control. Some how this all works for me and I appear to be able to deliver a suitable product. However, I am embarrassed by this performance and will not take a class or knit in public for fear of odd looks from a teacher or on-looker. I guess what I'm looking for here is an opinion or a reassurance that I may continue learning to knit the various stitches in my unorthodox style without seriously hampering my mastery of the art of knitting. :shifty:

Braden
06-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the forum! Just wanted to say that there is no "wrong" way to knit, there is only your way. As long as you get a nice fabric, who cares but you? Anyway, I hope you like it here!

Doom Bunny
06-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Hello all! This is my first time here as a member and I'm loving it! What an ace site - it has already been so helpful for filling in gaps in my knittting know-how!! :)

Braden
06-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Welcome! Hope you like it here,

wenabe
06-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to the site....and I have been knitting for awhile, still a beginner...but i love to try new projects...working on socks now.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone...and to introduce myself.

wendy

Jeremy
06-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I've been cruising around the web and this is just the best, most comprehensive, professionally done, user friendly site for knitters out there. As just a wash cloth knitter, I am that low brow:oops: "thrower" type, who is trying to move into the bigger leagues using the Continental method to create:knitting: beautiful scarves, sweaters, and afghans for my family. I've tried and tried to master the Continental method, but it feels cumbersome, makes my fingers and hands ache and generally just frustrates:frog: me to no end. I'm beginning to think that maybe some people's hands, finger shapes and strength allow them to master this method more easily than others. My rendition of the throwing type of knitting causes me to rest my right needle on my leg in order to keep control. Some how this all works for me and I appear to be able to deliver a suitable product. However, I am embarrassed by this performance and will not take a class or knit in public for fear of odd looks from a teacher or on-looker. I guess what I'm looking for here is an opinion or a reassurance that I may continue learning to knit the various stitches in my unorthodox style without seriously hampering my mastery of the art of knitting. :shifty:

Some of the best knitters here are "throwers" eg. Ingrid. Stick with what makes you happy. Welcome to the Forum.:hug:

Jeremy
06-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Welcome Doom Bunny and Wenabe.:hug:

CelineEd
06-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Great site! I've just registered and am looking forward to being a frequent visitor.
Celine
Schenectady, NY

Jeremy
06-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Welcome Celine:hug:

indigoblossom
06-17-2007, 08:39 PM
hello all,
i am introducing myself (thought i'd done so already) because i have utilized the helpful videos for quite some time and registered on the forums a long while ago...but i guess i've never posted in the forums. my name is valeri, i am a psychology/religious studies student and mother of two boys. i taught myself to knit when i was pregnant of my youngest and determined to knit soakers for him. now i knit for him and other babies!

i was brought here today to look up what sorts of issues people have encountered when taking knitting projects on planes and found a few helpful threads. i've looked up all the current restrictions but the paranoid in me felt that i should do extra homework. when we fly, if i board with anything, rather than checking it all (and with a toddler in tow, i might just check it because i doubt there will time to knit while waiting or in-flight) i will just take my WIP and leave the scissors, lucet and other fun but scary looking objects in my checked luggage.

Jeremy
06-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome Valeri. :hug: The airplane knitting question sure has stirred a lot of discussion here. It was very good of you to use the search function. I'm sure we're lucky to have you here.

margojoy
06-18-2007, 12:14 AM
i'm new to the site and very excited to be here!:cheering:

Braden
06-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Welcome, all! I hope you like it here!

Rainbow57
06-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi, I am Rainbow and Jeannette introduced me to this wonderful website and forum. It is amazing, especially the videos. I am so inspired.

I am a slow learner, and I have tried knitting more times than I can care to count. Usually I just do knit and purl stitch, my endges are wonky and I never finish it - never knew how.

I bought some wool today and Jeanette is helping me get started. She is in Germany, I am in Australia. Speaking of which, its 11.20pm and I'm geting very verree sleepy. Happy knitting!

Yours truly - knitting-nerd-in-the-making (I hope)

HamburgKnitter
06-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Yoohoo Rainbow! :flirt:

I go under the name "HamburgKnitter" here. Good to see you!

salos
06-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi, everyone. I learned to knit as a child. If you really want to know about me, you can go to Crochetville and read some of my 1,000 posts. Yes, I like to talk a lot. This looks like a nice forum. Mary

julie in nova scotia
06-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Hello from Nova Scotia on the east coast. I started knitting about 3 months ago (from a book) and I'm starting to try things that are not so easy to learn on paper. I'm hoping to gain wisdom here, get new ideas, and see what everyone is up to.

Julie

salos
06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi, Julie

Jeremy
06-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome to everyone. Thanks for recruiting Hamburgknitter!
I may be vacationing in Nova Scotia this year.:hug:

kathyanne
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am a beginner spinner and knitter. Im also learning to hand paint and dye my spun wool and mohair. What a great resource for me. The videos have been so helpful. Im a visual learner and sometimes reading how to do something goes right over my head. I cant wait to start making beautiful things with my own handspun and natural dyed wool.
Kat

Jeremy
06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you'll be a terrific resource for us too

science_geek
06-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Hello all-

I am a fellow knitter in the eastern part of good old Wisconsin! I actually got interested in learning how to knit from one of my students, and the rest, as they say, is history. Now I find myself not being able to get enough of it! My husband thinks that I am an addict...maybe I am....hmmmm. Oh well, it keeps me out of trouble. I am very excited to be apart of this awesome community!

Keep those needles clicking!
Take care,
Karrie :cheering:

PixieKnits
06-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Welcome Karrie! ;) Enjoy yourself here!

Jeremy
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Welcome:hug:

UnspeakableJoy
06-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Hello!

I am SO happy I found this site!! :cheering: I've taught myself to knit thanks to the amazing videos here, and have completed a few boring scarves. I'm currently working on a simple shawl, but am starting to get the knitter's itch to try something a bit more difficult.

I'm a mom to two amazing kids, an almost 11 year old son, and 6 year old daughter.

I can't wait to start meeting everyone, and improve my knitting skills so I can start sharing photos of my FOs!

Take care!
Joy

http://www.myspace.com/unspeakablejoy777

Braden
06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Welcome, new members!

Doxiemom
06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi there. I am new to knitting--I signed up for lessons years ago when I lived in Alaska--I was the only one who went back for the second lesson so the class was cancelled.
I finally got up the courage to try again--hopefully I'll be able to stick to it this time with the wonderful videos on here.
I want to knit socks so badly!!

woofersrose
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I learned to start knitting this weekend with my mom. I love the double cast on and took to it readily thanks to the video. I know this will be my cast on stitch. I learned to knit because my mother, future mother in law, and yes my better half all knit. Now I can join them and understand what they are working on.:thumbsup:

Braden
06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Welcome, all! I really hope that you enjoy it here, because we are a very friendly and helpful community!

Jeremy
06-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow. Welcome to everyone. So many terrific people are joining. This is a really great place to learn to knit but also to keep your interest fresh. I don't know a better place to "meet" people from all around the world.:hug::hug:

Pudify
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Hiho folks!

Alright, I must admit, im a horrible knitter xD But im here and willing to learn! I can knit things only of a rectangular shape, like scarfs. Not fancy scarfs mind you, not even a purl to be seen, hell, I dont even know how to purl .. or what one is for that matter lol!

Ok, so now you know that knitting wasnt my first craft, I suppose I should say that I am, in fact, a felter! *listens to the gasps of horror*

A felter from raw fiber that is, no knitting first then hot washing for me! But if I could actualy knit .. I would consider it xD

Anywho, please handle me with care as moving from felting to knitting is a huge and scary step, yet, hopefully exciting!

Cheers,
- Pud.

Jeremy
06-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome. :hug: Other folks from NZ are here too.

Andrea King
06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Hello, I have been knitting for about 1 year now. After hearing people say "Oh, knitting is easy, I'll teach you" and then nothing happening, I took the plunge and checked out books and then found this website. This site has been SO helpful!! I've made the obligatory scarves and a few hats. I decided to join the forum because I just knitted and felted my first bag. Now the question is, how should I attach the acrylic horseshoe handles...?

Does any one have suggestions or know of sites that have good examples?

Thank you very much.

Pudify
06-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome Jeremy :)

I think im going to enjoy my time here! I just finished another scarf, and in a few days, when ive gotten over myself, I might start something .. fancier xD

There are other Kiwis here? I hoped there would be, and I hope to run into them soon :D

minder
06-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Hi everyone,

After many, many attempts at knitting since childhood I finally put my mind to it in January with some determination! Why? knitting blogs and socks!!!!!!!! Somehow, over the last 6 months, I've become knitting obsessed and even have a mini-stash. My 9 year old daughter is doing really well too, so at least I can waffle about it to her. I hope to be waffling here too, :lol: so speak soon.

Amanda

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome Jeremy :)

I think im going to enjoy my time here! I just finished another scarf, and in a few days, when ive gotten over myself, I might start something .. fancier xD

There are other Kiwis here? I hoped there would be, and I hope to run into them soon :D
I actually looked in the Knitters near you forum but I didn't see the NZ knitters there. Redwitch is from New Zealand and I'm pretty sure there are others. Look in the KAL and Watcha Knitting forums for ideas for other projects.

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Hello, I have been knitting for about 1 year now. After hearing people say "Oh, knitting is easy, I'll teach you" and then nothing happening, I took the plunge and checked out books and then found this website. This site has been SO helpful!! I've made the obligatory scarves and a few hats. I decided to join the forum because I just knitted and felted my first bag. Now the question is, how should I attach the acrylic horseshoe handles...?

Does any one have suggestions or know of sites that have good examples?

Thank you very much.
Welcome.:hug: I'm going to copy your post to the How to Forum. I'm sure you will get some answers there.

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone,

After many, many attempts at knitting since childhood I finally put my mind to it in January with some determination! Why? knitting blogs and socks!!!!!!!! Somehow, over the last 6 months, I've become knitting obsessed and even have a mini-stash. My 9 year old daughter is doing really well too, so at least I can waffle about it to her. I hope to be waffling here too, :lol: so speak soon.

Amanda

Welcome:hug: I've never heard waffle used that way before but then again I'm always learning some new way to use a word. Who knew that "pants" was sort of a semi swear word:shrug:

1to1
06-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Amanda,:waving:

Welcome to KH!! My daughter and I started knitting when she was 9yo :XX:back in Feb 2005. We still go to Knit Togethers and started making socks this year. I think it is a great way to spend time with your DD.:thumbsup:

Carla

Denise L.
06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm so happy to have found this site. I'm an intermediate knitter and looking for a group meet up on Long Island, NY. I am currently working on some baby bibs from the Mason -Dixon gals book. Much fun!
Denise L

Braden
06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Welcome!

Jeremy
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm so happy to have found this site. I'm an intermediate knitter and looking for a group meet up on Long Island, NY. I am currently working on some baby bibs from the Mason -Dixon gals book. Much fun!
Denise L

Welcome Denise. There is a forum here called Knitters Knear you. You could look for or start a thread for LI knitters.:hug:

Itsabtme
06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
But I've watched my mom knit & crochet for years. I've always wanted to learn but I didn't believe that I had it in me. A good friend of my mine encouraged me to visit your website and try to teach myself. So, here I am! Please be patient with me, I'm sure to ask a lot of silly questions...if I don't poke my eye out with the needles first:)

Jeanette

Knitting_Guy
06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
But I've watched my mom knit & crochet for years. I've always wanted to learn but I didn't believe that I had it in me. A good friend of my mine encouraged me to visit your website and try to teach myself. So, here I am! Please be patient with me, I'm sure to ask a lot of silly questions...if I don't poke my eye out with the needles first:)

Jeanette

Welcome and I'm glad ya made it. :thumbsup:

xminkiix
06-21-2007, 12:08 AM
i've been wanting to start knitting again. right after my mommy's birthday, i kinda stopped but i really wanna get back into it.

i hope that through joining a forum, i would be able to spark my interest once more =] i'm glad to know that there's a knit a long...but i haven't really checked it out so i'm not sure if the instructions are listed or not under the thread =T

anyways! i hope to stay and become an active member and possibly even complete several projects =]

Raspberry61
06-21-2007, 02:05 AM
I just found out about this site from a knitting instructor at my local yarn shop. It seems like a neat place! I've been knitting and crocheting for years and I am obssessed with it! Glad to be among others who feel the same:lol:

mjciampa
06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi,
I've been knitting for a long time, but this is the first forum I've joined. I need help with a project. I'm trying to knit a giant fair isle mitten to be used as a Christmas stocking. I can't seem to get the proportions right. Anyone have a pattern like this or any advice on how to go about it?

secretknitter
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Wow this is a really cool site! I can't wait to get started improving all my knitting skils!!:cheering:

braggberg
06-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Helen I have recently revived my interest in knitting and crocheting because of a knee injury. I am so glad I learned how to do this years ago when it seemed so easy otherwise my old brain cells would have had a rough time.
I have been surfing around finding new patterns and practicing and found your forum and just love it. there is so much to read and learn here.
Thanks for having me

Jeremy
06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi,
I've been knitting for a long time, but this is the first forum I've joined. I need help with a project. I'm trying to knit a giant fair isle mitten to be used as a Christmas stocking. I can't seem to get the proportions right. Anyone have a pattern like this or any advice on how to go about it?

Hi, Welcome the Forum. I'm going to copy your question to the How to Questions Forum. Have a look there for some answers to your question. I'll title it Proportion Problem with Christmas Stocking.

Jeremy
06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
i've been wanting to start knitting again. right after my mommy's birthday, i kinda stopped but i really wanna get back into it.

i hope that through joining a forum, i would be able to spark my interest once more =] i'm glad to know that there's a knit a long...but i haven't really checked it out so i'm not sure if the instructions are listed or not under the thread =T

anyways! i hope to stay and become an active member and possibly even complete several projects =]
Welcome to the Forum:hug: Most times there is a link to the pattern in the first post for the knit a long if its a free pattern. If its not a free pattern there is usually information there that will tell you how to get it. There are also free patterns here in their own separate section. So hop right in. There are plenty of people here to help you.

Jeremy
06-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Welcome to Everyone who just joined us or has come back.:hug:

KT120
06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I have recently just started knitting after years of wanting to. I finally decided to when I saw a charity knitting group that make dolls for children in Africa and my goal is to learn to make some.

I started by taking a knitting class in a craft studio. It has been the best thing I have done, but not good for my wallet as I have become obssessed! I have completed a scarf, a hat and am working on my first pair of socks and purse. I am looking forward to the learning process!

This site was reccomended by my instructor and I know it will become my salvation for the many questions I have. Please do not tire of me!

Jeremy
06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I have recently just started knitting after years of wanting to. I finally decided to when I saw a charity knitting group that make dolls for children in Africa and my goal is to learn to make some.

I started by taking a knitting class in a craft studio. It has been the best thing I have done, but not good for my wallet as I have become obssessed! I have completed a scarf, a hat and am working on my first pair of socks and purse. I am looking forward to the learning process!

This site was reccomended by my instructor and I know it will become my salvation for the many questions I have. Please do not tire of me!

Welcome to a gathering of the obsessed.:happydancing:

losnana
06-21-2007, 07:19 PM

I hope you're not expecting anyone here to help you save your wallet!! We're all obsessed! My wallet left home months ago with its clothes in a hobo bag over its shoulder, vowing never to return. My credit card followed shortly thereafter. Fortunately there is still Paypal!!!

franknit
06-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Great site. I wish I had seen it years ago. I have passed it on to many new knitters.

Braden
06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Welcome! I look forward to seeing your posts, and it's great that you tell knitters about this place!

batregre
06-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi! I'm Beth. I've been "self teaching" myself to knit for months now and LOVE THIS SITE!! Amy YOU ROCK!!

Nitaks2
06-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Like the subject line says, I'm a new knitter..and anything beyond casting off, knitting(Garter Stitch) and casting off confuses me!!! ( Just how do you guys do all that???) In fact it was the knitting video for the knit\ garter stitch that made it A LOT easier to see, and understand HOW to go about it!!!- If only Purling were that simple..(Attempting THAT is enough to make my head spin!!)

Anyway, my name is Genita,but, almost everyone calls me Nita..( I answer to either or..and have absolutely no preference in terms of which one..LOL..I've always answered to both!!) I'm 39 years old, taking care of my elderly father- who just had his 82nd birthday the other day...As well as two four legged fur babies...a half Australian Shepherd, Molly Christine...and a spoiled rotten Tuxedo kitty boy, Roscoe Nathaniel..( Dad named both of 'em...while I agreed on Molly's name, I certainly didn't agree with naming Roscoe , Roscoe..MY choice was Nathaniel,btw..) But, for the record, Molly is far MORE spoiled than Roscoe, is, though...

Quite honestly, I'm more comfortable and adept with crocheting...(Have been into that since August 1997, give or take..- and Cross Stitch even longer..basically nineteen years of that..) However, I've always wanted to learn how to knit.. anything and everything...kitchen things for my birth mom and uncle...clothes for two of my little second cousins..( A 7 year old, and an infant who will be a year old July 20th..). maybe even a shawl for my Aunt that's in a nursing home..I'm even itching to try my hand at some of the vintage knitting patterns I've found on various sites..( Yes, I admit it, I'm a major sucker for anything vintage, or adaptations based off of vintage patterns..- I just can't stomach the idea of loosing antique patterns like that...have no clue why, but, hey...)

I've got SO many varied interests that it's over whelming to describe...Pretty much ranging between history, reading,cooking, needlework, signature tagging, ect...( Oh yeah..can't forget spoiling Molly and Roscoe...)

Nita

Jeremy
06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Welcome to everyone :hug:

whales
06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
A friend referred me to this site and so far I found it easy to use and very informative. I have been crocheting for 15 or so years. I have always wanted to learn how to knit. Hopefully this site will help me achieve this goal.:happydancing:

photolady
06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree, great site, especially the videos!
I must have watched the video of Knit 1 front and back
about 50 times, but, I learned how to increase that way!

photolady
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
This is a great site. I watched one video approximately 50 times,
and learned how to increase my stitches.
Is it true that almost all knitters are visual learners, and hands-on learners?
I know I am.:hug:

Jeremy
06-22-2007, 03:07 PM

FarmersWife
06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to knitting. A friend referred me to this site. Watching the videos taught me quickly exactly what I was doing wrong and how to do it right! I'm learning, but I'm not that great yet!

JWW
06-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Just discovered this site and find it extremely interesting. I'm a long time knitter but often have questions about new and old techniques and patterns. I have 2 questions at the moment: 1. I'm looking for the pattern for the "magic loop" socks (knitted on one circular kneedle). Can anyone give me a hint where to look. 2. A friend does a cast-on with surplus yarn that becomes a smooth double edge. She learned it many years ago in Italy. Does anyone know it and can explain/show it? Thanks in advance for any help!

Braden
06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Welcome! JWW, I'm sure Jeremy will send a copy of your post over to the Questions board, where you'll get lots of great responses! Silver has a tutorial for ML socks, and that cast on is the tubular cast on.

Eekee
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Erica, and I've been knitting for a few months, and LOVE it. My main projects are preemie caps, as my oldest boy was a preemie. I also like blankets and making felted bags.

I'm 29, and I'm pretty sure that I qualify as an obsessed knitter now. I knit anytime I can. I have a special ziploc in the car for drive-thru waits, and after-school pickup times. If I can't knit, I'll read a knitting book. If I can't do either, well, it makes me very sad! ;)

Braden
06-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Welcome!

linjber
06-23-2007, 05:21 AM
I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd say "Hi". This looks like a great site for information and for friendship. Hope to "talk" to you all often.
Lin

Leahpants85
06-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi! my name is Leah - I love the site! I use the videos all the time. thanks so much!

knittinginnc
06-23-2007, 08:16 AM
What a great site. Thanks for reminding me I'd signed up last year Amy. I will look forward to reading the posts and jumping in when I can. I've been hand knitting for about 9 years now and still love it - I'm totally hooked. Before that I discovered machine knitting and was thrilled with it but needed something to knit on trips - thus using just two needles came to mind. Wish there would have been a site like this 9 years ago !!
happy knitting all,
Betty in NC

Rosemarie5
06-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I know Exactly how you feel. I always went to mom when a new pattern or stitch confused me. Now that mom is gone, I was at a loss. Then I found "Knitting Help" and actually seeing someone showing the stitch was just like having mom show me. What a Wonderful site. Rosemarie5

coolbana
06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi.
I am coolbana and I learned to knit about 3 years ago, and crochet about 2 years ago. Previously, I mostly worked with paper arts - rubber stamping, scrapbooks and altered books. But I have quickly built up a yarn stash to rival my paper stash.
I recently learned a knitting term that I can apply to paper arts as well SABLE. Stash Above and Beyond Life Expectancy. If I can find time between writing web pages and selling Longaberger to do my crafts, I hope to work down my stash so my heirs won't have to donate it all.

beekudzu
06-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I haven't been here in a long time and I don't know why. I love Amy's videos, that's how I learned to knit in the round on 2 circulars.

I work way part-time as a nurse (1 day a week) and stay at home either working on the house or knitting most of the time. Haven't been knitting a lot. Maybe because it's so hot here in the summer.

Anyway, I'm back and glad to be so.

sassymomtx
06-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I love your site. I just finished a baby blanket for my new granddaughter, due next month. It is the first one I have made. A few mistakes were made but overall it is just great. I used your web site to answer many questions. Not too many people knit in my area so I rely on your site for help. It is great. Keep up the good work.

mirenj
06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
First of all I want to apologize for not introducing myself when I signed in. The fact is that I am not such a great knitter and I am learning a lot from all of you. Someday I will knit something deserving to be photographed. In the meantime, I want to thank you all for the page and the participants for your generosity on sharing your works, successess and concerns. THANK YOU!.:hug:

dottie
06-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks so much for contacting me. Yes it has been a long time since i logged in. Haven't been knitting for about a year. Health problems, getting back to it now. Good to know there is a place that i can go just to get support or help.
thanks again.
Dorothy Long: heart:

pdrite
06-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Good morning group. I registered a while back and have finally taken the time to say, hi. Started back knitting at the beginning of this year after a ten year void. Must admit I didn't realize how much I was missing without my crafts. Before the void I was an avid crafter (knitting, crocheting, needlepointing, etc.

By the by my name is Phyllis and I live in Southern Califoria so if any of you are in the neighbor of Los Angeles or Orange County let me know if any of us ever get together as a group for coffee.:cheering:

So after a few shawls and a couple of afgans to get me back in the swing of thing I decided to try knitting with double pointed needles.

I started a pair of socks yesterday and have have just completed my first, turning of a heel :muah:I have never made socks before so this is a big deal for me. Completed my first double pointed needle project about a week ago, and I am pretty sure I like the smaller projects they can produce. I plan to spend the rest of the day learning Gusset:pray: portion of the sock. (Wish me luck:shrug:I have never done this before either.)

Must take a moment here to say thank you to the website for posting the video on socks. I will probably be back to view it again as I attempt the Gusset portion of my first sock.

Hope all are having a great day and enjoying it wherever they ar

karendawn
06-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Hello. :) I've been reading the boards for a while and had posted a few messages under another user name (elfwynn), but I decided to revert back to my usual online name, so here I am under a new name.

I'm currently working on some Harry Potter knits from the Charmed Knits book (need to update my blog - link is in my signature). I've finished a Gryffindor scarf (wide stripes version) and just started the Quidditch sweater. I also plan to do the Quidditch socks, house socks, and other various patterns. So lots of Harry Potter knitting in store for me!

When I'm not knitting, I'm reading. I'm working on my PhD in medieval literature and I've just started my dissertation (which is on ideas of kingship in the stories of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table). And when I'm not reading for my dissertation, I'm reading fiction - mostly fantasy.

granluv6
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I am new to this site and I am pleased to be here. Hello to all my fellow knitters. I am a grandmother of 6 sweet grandchildren ages 1 year to 7 years and Mother to 4 grown children. I learned to knit in 1966 after my first child was born then put it away for many years until 2000 when my first grandchild was born. I haven't stopped knitting since 2000. I can't seem to get enough of knitting, buying yarn and knitting supplies. I have become a knitaholic, I suppose. Recently, I learned to knit socks on double-point needles. I think that I have mastered it now after many tense moments.
Happy Knitting everyone.

SW Knits
06-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the sock of the month club through the Knitter.com? I joined in May, didn't receive anything by the middle of June, wrote Judy an e-mail 6/12, no response, and still no kit for June?

Has anyone used this club successfully?

Thanks, SW Knits

Ruby
06-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi! It's great to revisit this site. Thanks for sending the e-mail letting me know it had been a while... This site is such a great resource!

catholicapmom
06-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Hello! My name is Melanie and I've never even picked up a pair of knitting needles but I want to learn how to knit. I'm a stay at home mom to 2, soon to be 3 in July--I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old.

So...where do I begin? :?? I saw the video about casting on and I saw the short project video. But what supplies should I buy?? :think:

I look forward to getting to know everyone and being a part of the community!! :happydancing:

knitvirg
06-23-2007, 06:56 PM
My experience of knitting was virtually nil. And what I'd started I never finished.

Last year I started a Jamieson and Jamieson's 1-ply pure Shetland wool shawl using one of their patterns for forthcoming grandchild. Rapidly ran into problems and fortunately came upon this jolly and helpful site.

Things I learned were :

1. Don't knit in warm weather as the wool will undoubtable break.

2. When not knitting, place knitting in the fridge.

3. Should have decided on a pattern where you start from the inside and work out. having liked the photo of this shawl I sent off for it without doing any more research.

This particular pattern started with the outer trim all 97 repeats of a 14 row pattern and all to be kept at the same tension.

After many goes I eventually cracked that one and have the trim finished. Shawl has got no further as daughter developed complications 5 months into pregnancy and it was a bit touch and go for a wee while. In the event D had to spend the remaining time in hospital and we all had our fingers crossed. I suspended work on the shawl. Felt it was a bad omen if I continued.

Meanwhile to keep the mum occupied and busy, my sister-in-law - a great knitter - went down almost every afternoon while I was at work and showed off the art of knitting. Catching on most immediately, D had stack of bootees and a knitted bunny in a very short time. Also a waistcoat for Mr Bunny and several pram toys.

Baby was delivered superquick by Caesarean (Doc's nickname being Flash Gordon because he can do this so quick) two weeks early and D spent the next 12 hours in ICU. Happily with input of iron, didn't need a blood transfusion.

Mother and baby have continued to do well and with baby almost a year now, she's nearly walking on own.

One of these days, I must find where I flung the shawl last year and maybe have it finished in time for great-grandchildren.

PS Thank you for the reminder email you sent today. Itís given me the nudge I need to get weaving (or should that be knitting?) with the shawl. xx

MistyNZ
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi
What an amazing site! Looking for a hat pattern and there I found just what I was after - the braided hat pattern - and started browsing - and am still on your site an hour later! (Only problem, couldn't find the actual pattern for the hat! Mind you, I hadn't registered when I was looking so will have another go now.) Will be a regular reader.
Thank you.

sarazop
06-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Loving the site! Hi, I'm Sara, I have been knitting for a few years. I have made mostly baby booties for friends and accessories for myself. I love to try new patterns and stitches. My next purse I want to have a go bobble knit pattern. If I can figure it out....anyone know where some good visuals for that might be....
:thumbsup:,

Sara

Shannon4J
06-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I haven't signed in here in a few months and I got an e-mail telling me so. I really like the new look!! :happydancing:

Welcome to the newbies!!

ginaniemeyer
06-23-2007, 11:31 PM
hello all i live in texas i am a SAHM and like to knit crochet sew and embroider refraise that i am pretty handy with the knitting machine but do knit imade my first pair of socks about a month ago they looked more like a giant tube lol but ive gotten better im trieng to make them for christmas gifts i have 11 left to go ive made 12 well thats about it talk to yall later Gina In Texas

xquizidat47
06-23-2007, 11:43 PM
I am so glad find KH.I am an intermediate knitter and a new spinner. I look forward to learning many techniques and possibly helping someone along the way. Hello from Ga.:muah:

laxmi
06-24-2007, 12:34 AM

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hello Every body

I am new to knitting,well not very new,when I was carrying 2 years back,I did knit.I knit a sweater,a hat and a pair of socks for my girl baby.now after 2 years again I have started knitting.now I am knitting a sweater for my husband.Fortunately I found this wonderful website.I have a couple of doubts regarding the pattern I am knitting.It would be great if some one could help me.

1.first of all I would like to know if stockinette stitch starts with a knit or purl?
2.my pattern says,"knit stockinette for 17 inches ending with W.S row" what does this mean?do I need to end with the knit side facing me or purl side facing me?
3.is cast off same as bind off?

thankyou
laxmi.

maisonkase
06-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Knitting has become a new haven for me. It gives me time to be with myself and relax. When I pick out yarn and select patterns, I feel excited and enthusiastic for the new project. I love being able to gift my finished projects to family and friends. The expressions of appreciation give me a great sense of gratification. I look forward to sharing ideas and reading your comments on this forum. I learned so much from the videos offered on this site. Thank you, Amy, for sharing your talent! Your tutorials and videos always give me confidence to move forward.

Merci Beaucoup!

Maison ~

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

sailspinner
06-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Although I've been knitting off and on since I learned to knit scarves for soldiers in WW II, I've never ventured from socks (college), sweaters & mittens (kids & hubby), and hats until now. I'm knitting lace for the first time - and having trouble. I keep dropping stitches & can't seem to keep the pattern when I bring them back to the needles. I've started over for the fourth time &, at this rate, I'm going to wear out the yarn before I get six inches done. Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. The yarn is the finest I've ever worked with, the needles are my new Options (which I like very much) and I suspect that somehow I'm sometimes knitting behind the stitch instead of into it. I also have new glasses I'm trying to get used to. This was supposed to be a shawl for my daughter-in-law"s birthday in May. Any tips from lace knitters?

By the way, this a great site and I can't believe I haven't stumbled across it before now.

lynshe
06-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Hello,

I am very new to knitting and hope this site will help me knit my first top. I get frustrated but I am determined to keep at it. I look forward to being on the board regularly.:lol:

poptart1600
06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I've been using KnittingHelp forever, but this is my first post. I'm pretty much lurker on forums. After a long time trying, the short rows video recently gave me my 'a-ha' moment. I've been messing with this technique and it just didn't click until now. Thanks, Amy!

teejai
06-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Hello my name is Teejai and i have not got the brains for knitting I have tried and tried and I just cant get it but............Im not a quitter and I am going to get it ! I have watched the video and i will get it but it helps and if if any one wants to help let me know ......Thanks Tonya :lol:

meloxi
06-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi there everyone, my name is Melina and I'm a newbie knitter. I just wanted to mention how great I think this website is. The videos are exactly what I needed, and thanks to them, I knocked out my first elongated-stitch scarf that looks amazing. I'm at the scarf stage still, although I plan to keep going at it and hopefully make my own sweaters someday. Keep up the great work.

BeckyP
06-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi,
Just want to intro myself to the group. MY name is Becky and I live in SouthEast Ma. I've been knitting for years on and off. I love making socks but I will try almost anything. I just finished a shawl for myself which is a miracle in of itself. I'm working on a baby sweater & hat. My daughter just talked me into a hat and of course there is always socks on the needles. I hope I can navigate this site well enough. LOL
Becky

jeropke@sbcglobal.net
06-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi my name is
Donna and I am new to this.
I am knitting an afghan and you have to change colors in the
middle if the pattern and follow a chart.
The problem is how do you change colors in the mu=iddle of what you arre working on without getting big holes in the pattern.

Braden
06-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Welcome new members! There is a forum for questions, and I'm sure that Jeremy will copy your post over there so you'll get lots of responses!

Jeremy
06-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Hi Laxmi. Welcome to the forum. I copied your question to the How to Forum. Look for the post that says "Stockinette and Bind off questions."

Jeremy
06-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Although I've been knitting off and on since I learned to knit scarves for soldiers in WW II, I've never ventured from socks (college), sweaters & mittens (kids & hubby), and hats until now. I'm knitting lace for the first time - and having trouble. I keep dropping stitches & can't seem to keep the pattern when I bring them back to the needles. I've started over for the fourth time &, at this rate, I'm going to wear out the yarn before I get six inches done. Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. The yarn is the finest I've ever worked with, the needles are my new Options (which I like very much) and I suspect that somehow I'm sometimes knitting behind the stitch instead of into it. I also have new glasses I'm trying to get used to. This was supposed to be a shawl for my daughter-in-law"s birthday in May. Any tips from lace knitters?

By the way, this a great site and I can't believe I haven't stumbled across it before now.

Hi. I posted a copy of your post in the How to Question section. I'm sure you'll get some help there. Welcome to the Forum:hug:

Jeremy
06-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi my name is
Donna and I am new to this.
I am knitting an afghan and you have to change colors in the
middle if the pattern and follow a chart.
The problem is how do you change colors in the mu=iddle of what you arre working on without getting big holes in the pattern.

Hi Donna. Welcome to the Forum:hug:

Amy has some excellent videos here under knitting with two colors.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

I think these will answer your question.

amandabny
06-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi, I'm a student in NYC and have been knitting for almost a year. I've made a few hats, scarves, and am sewing up my first sweater (it looks like it might actually fit....wow).

I love learning new techniques, new stitches, and reading these forums!

-Amanda

Jeremy
06-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi, I'm a student in NYC and have been knitting for almost a year. I've made a few hats, scarves, and am sewing up my first sweater (it looks like it might actually fit....wow).

I love learning new techniques, new stitches, and reading these forums!

-Amanda
Welcome Amanda.:hug:

baxjul
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Hello from Florida! I'm teaching myself to knit, so far not going very well. I do crochet, but wanted something different:frog: My name is Julie, SAHM to dh and one dd 7 yr. old.

charlene grayson
06-25-2007, 07:30 PM
My name is Charlene and I live in Lakeside CA. Many years ago I did a bit of crocheting (back when poncho's were very popular) but had never knitted. About two years ago I took a two hour beginning knitting class at a local Michael's store. I have been hooked every since. I recently finished a year long class at an Adult School. We knitted 48 squares for a blanket. It is beautiful...and most of all I learned to cable and just a multitude of different types of stitches. I am going to be a first time G'ma in Oct of 2007. I am 54 yrs. old and I have never been so excited. Now I know what made me take up knitting. I have been busy making baby blankets and booties and am currently working on a bib. I am having trouble with the "shaping" as we didn't learn this in school as we just did the squares. Does anyone have an easy to follow pattern for a toddler size bib? Hope to enjoy this list and thanks for reading my long introduction!

irenic_ca
06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey there, my name is Michele and I live in southern Ontario in Canada. I have been knitting for little over a year and still consider myself a newbie. I am pregnant so am working on knitting baby items. Looking forward to being on the forum.:cheering:

Braden
06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Welcome all!

Jeremy
06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
My name is Charlene and I live in Lakeside CA. Many years ago I did a bit of crocheting (back when poncho's were very popular) but had never knitted. About two years ago I took a two hour beginning knitting class at a local Michael's store. I have been hooked every since. I recently finished a year long class at an Adult School. We knitted 48 squares for a blanket. It is beautiful...and most of all I learned to cable and just a multitude of different types of stitches. I am going to be a first time G'ma in Oct of 2007. I am 54 yrs. old and I have never been so excited. Now I know what made me take up knitting. I have been busy making baby blankets and booties and am currently working on a bib. I am having trouble with the "shaping" as we didn't learn this in school as we just did the squares. Does anyone have an easy to follow pattern for a toddler size bib? Hope to enjoy this list and thanks for reading my long introduction!

Hi Charlene. Welcome to the Forum. I'm going to copy your post to the pattern forum under toddler bib pattern. Here is a pattern for a baby bib. http://www.knitlist.com/2003/babybib.htm

Jeremy
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Welcome to Everyone:hug:

GrayceRN
06-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello All,

I am a newbie to this site. I restarted knitting in Feb. of this year and taught myself coni. I am now offically hooked. My other hobbies include quiliting and any other type of "cafty" stuff. I thank my Mother and Grandmother for letting my creativity flow at such a young age :muah:

I am a ICU RN full-time and have a wonderful husband and 7 children (all grown). When I am not knitting or crafting, my husband and I enjoy remodeling. We are always in a state of remodeling something!!! :ick:

I look forward to reading the threads and leaning anything I can regarding my knitting. I hope to make some new friends and wish you all happy kniting! :hug:

Grace

dcsharpe
06-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi. Newbie here. I knit a little years ago but didn't actually make anything. I just did some squares to try out stitch patterns. I have crocheted TONS!!! Anyway, I have just started back knitting because I wanted to make wool soakers. They are quick, fun, and useful! I have recently become a SAHM, after the birth of dd #3. I have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and an 8 month old. DH who works very hard and travels alot. 1 cat that I have had longer than my children. and a new puppy we got in March for our dd's B-day who is psycho! (the puppy I mean) Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I'm off to search the posts..................

Jeremy
06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Welcome to both of you.:hug:

MerigoldinWA
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Hello forum members!

I have used knittinghelp.com many times and referred people to it for the videos, and how tos, but never tried the forum before. I am a regular at the About.knitting forum.

I have been knitting a long time, and love to help people with problems if I know the answers. I like to make baby things (have a new grandchild on the way at present), and hats. I have made over 60 sweaters in my lifetime, half of those baby sweaters and the other half about equally divided between children's and adult sweaters. I've done a sprinkling of just about everything, no shawls or ponchos. I also like to teach people to knit, but don't find many takers. I got to teach my husband to knit last fall (after 40 years of marriage). He's not knitting right now, but talks of getting back into it when the weather gets cold.

We have 4 adult children and 6 grandchildren ages 14-6. Mostly I have been a stay at home wife, and when the kids were home I home schooled them. I have done a little work out of the home, mostly in-home care giving, but am currently not working.

Merigold

jeanfoxstra
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi~~I'm new here & don't know how to post a new message.
I'm needing to know what to do after I've picked up the gusset stitches on one side~~
Do I just go ahead and knit across the instep and grab the other gusset stitches?
Thanks knitless
If this is not the correct way to post, please let me know~~
I don't see anywhere else to do it~~

Jeremy
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi~~I'm new here & don't know how to post a new message.
I'm needing to know what to do after I've picked up the gusset stitches on one side~~
Do I just go ahead and knit across the instep and grab the other gusset stitches?
Thanks knitless
If this is not the correct way to post, please let me know~~
I don't see anywhere else to do it~~

I'll anwer the sock question first. Yes, you knit right across the next needle and then pick up gusset stitches on the other side. Silver, a mod here has an excellent site here (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm) that has sent many a bewildered sock knitter aright.

To post a new question, go to the most appropriate forum eg. How to questions and click the button in the upper right corner which says "new thread". Then title your thread, eg. "gusset help" and post your message. Before you know it people will be answering your post.

Hope your questions have been answered. Welcome to the forum:hug:

Purple
06-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Hello! :)
I taught myself how to knit using the wonderful videos on this website. Um, that was about a month or two ago, so I still consider myself a beginner. I'm so happy with each project I do now I learn something new. Oh, uh, personal info: I'm 31, married, I have a 2 year old son, born and bred on Long Island in NY, my other hobbies besides knitting are Juggling, poi, (http://www.homeofpoi.com/) the SCA, (http://sca.org) and being obsessed with Doctor Who, heh. I think that's it...

Ok, now that I've registered and said hello and all, off I trot to the help section to figure out a pattern that's confusing me!

ritan
06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Hallo everyone. My name is Rita and I live in Italy. I learnt to knit and crochet when I was very young, but for many years I dedicated myself to other crafts: painting, glass decorating, as well as embroidery and needle work. Lately I've gone back to needles and hooks. I enjoy very much designing and making shawls.
I'm hoping to get to know as many ladies as possible with the same interest.

Mimicathead
06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi my name is Mimi and I live in Simi Valley, CA. I started knitting in 2001 using a child's knitting kit! I have taken several breaks from knitting and as a result I have made nothing that wasn't square or rectangular. I didn't even know how to purl until last year!

This site has been a godsend! I am often confused my the directions in books so I love the videos. Thanks so much!!

Mimi B.

Jeremy
06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome to everyone. Its amazing how many people from all over the world have joined.:hug: