PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

bjuettner
06-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Thank you so much for this wonderful website. It got me through my first project (what was supposed to be a scarf for my daughter and turned into a blanket for her stuffed animals instead). Now I'm trying to knit a project bag from Two Old Bags. I was doing just fine until I got to the part of the pattern that says I should do a pick up round and go all around the edges of the rectangular piece I've knitted so far...now I'm utterly confused. Because the side I'm supposed to knit next isn't on the needles...it's the short side of the rectangle. Do I slip it onto the needles first and then knit? Any thoughts?

Maybe I should just stick to something easier for a while! I have quickly become addicted to knitting...am finding it wakes me up better than coffee does (though coffee's an essential item too!).

Bonnie

kcjcrs@hotmail.com
06-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Hey!

Love the site! I am just learning to knit, although I have been crocheting for about 40 years.
The patterns are really great, hope to get started on the more simple ones right away.

Ganny

Jeremy
06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much for this wonderful website. It got me through my first project (what was supposed to be a scarf for my daughter and turned into a blanket for her stuffed animals instead). Now I'm trying to knit a project bag from Two Old Bags. I was doing just fine until I got to the part of the pattern that says I should do a pick up round and go all around the edges of the rectangular piece I've knitted so far...now I'm utterly confused. Because the side I'm supposed to knit next isn't on the needles...it's the short side of the rectangle. Do I slip it onto the needles first and then knit? Any thoughts?

Maybe I should just stick to something easier for a while! I have quickly become addicted to knitting...am finding it wakes me up better than coffee does (though coffee's an essential item too!).

Bonnie

Welcome to the forum Bonnie.:hug:

I copied your post to the Pattern Help section under Help with a Two Old Bags pattern. I'll give it an initial shot now. When you pick up and knit you stick your right needle through the loop of yarn on the edge next to where you stopped knitting, wrap the yarn around the needle and pull the loop through. You've now created a loop of yarn on the edge that can be knitted in the round.

Amy shows how to pick up stitches here http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

Don't give up. We'll help you here. Go to the pattern help section t look at responses to the post.:happydancing:

Jeremy
06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey!

Love the site! I am just learning to knit, although I have been crocheting for about 40 years.
The patterns are really great, hope to get started on the more simple ones right away.

Ganny
Welcome Ganny. There are some nice patterns here and we all go to Knittingpatterncentral.com also.:hug::hug:

saferhomemom
06-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi All,
I'm Lisa and I'm from Arizona. I'm a self-taught crocheter of 8 years and a self-taught knitter for about 3 years. Due to carpul-tunnel issues I prefer knitting to crocheting. I can't believe that I hadn't found this site before...it's awesome!

Jeremy
06-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Welcome, its great to have you here!

KABBY
06-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Hello,
I'm a self taught knitter who is still finding her way. I live in Sandy Utah and we have 11 yarn shops in our valley. Sometimes I need help at the strangest hours, so I glad I found you. I work nights and get to knit @ work so it posses a problem when i need help. My biggest issue is that I'm not to savy on the computer, so bear with me. Hope to be back soon.
Kabby

knitnkitn
06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi. I have been an crocheter for years. Knitted some but quit due to kids activities etc. Now I am starting to knit . Have learned how to do socks and am on my 4th pair. Love it really. Would love to find out how to do a cable stitch. I know, I am getting bolder by the minute but I love to learn new stuff. Can't believe how fast I took up the socks. Most in my knitting group have done them so I felt great when I could show them my socks.
This seems to be a great site so will come here for help you can count on it.
Di

Perkins
06-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi, I have been knitting for some time but am new to this site. Am looking forward to getting new ideas and learning new techniques. I knit using the continental method.

janti
06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone. I have a question. I am knitting a baby sweater that is calling for a size 2 and 3 needle. The 3 needle being the main needle. The sweater is for a size 2 - 3. I would like it to be alittle bigger, and am wondering if I use size 3 and 4 needles, if that would work, using the same instructions.

ireneb
06-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi
My name is Irene and I'm from Denmark. I love knitting

I found your page in my search for help with socksheals. Unfortunately my mom lives 3 hrs drive away from me, so she can't help me much and I couldn't understand the written instruction:??. So :cheering:for the videos, they're really great:muah:

And now I've just started a candle flame shawl after seeing it in here:hug:

I have a little blog for my knitting but so far it's in Danish :rollseyes:
http://reinkvist.dk/irenebirk/strik.html

Jeremy
06-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone. I have a question. I am knitting a baby sweater that is calling for a size 2 and 3 needle. The 3 needle being the main needle. The sweater is for a size 2 - 3. I would like it to be alittle bigger, and am wondering if I use size 3 and 4 needles, if that would work, using the same instructions.
Hi Janti. Welcome to the Forum. I'm going to copy your question to the Pattern forum. Have a look there to see what your fellow members have to offer.

Jeremy
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi. I have been an crocheter for years. Knitted some but quit due to kids activities etc. Now I am starting to knit . Have learned how to do socks and am on my 4th pair. Love it really. Would love to find out how to do a cable stitch. I know, I am getting bolder by the minute but I love to learn new stuff. Can't believe how fast I took up the socks. Most in my knitting group have done them so I felt great when I could show them my socks.
This seems to be a great site so will come here for help you can count on it.
Di
Hi. Welcome to the forum. How to cable is found here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/)

Jeremy
06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Welcome to all of our new members.:hug:

janaya
06-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm Janaya. I'm 30, I live in the Seattle area, and I knit obsessively in my free time. :D While knitting, I like to read forums (mothering and wooly wonders), so I thought I'd add this one to the mix. The videos on this website were KEY to learning to knit a couple of years ago, and still are when I need to learn a new technique. :D

Anyway, hello!

Jeremy
06-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Welcome Janaya.:hug:

bronwyn
06-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi, my name is Bronwyn! :D I'm a SAHM with three kids from Barrie, Ontario. I'm an active community member on thebabywearer.com and am active locally for babywearing advocacy. Now that my youngest is 26 months, I need to find a new hobby and a good friend suggested knitting! :) I know the very basics, such as how to knit and purl, and cast on/off, but it's been six years since I've touched a pair of needles. I can't wait to learn more about it. I'll be going shopping tomorrow for supplies and will be looking around for ideas on simple beginner projects.

This is an awesome site, the videos are amazingly helpful! I look forward to learning from all of you wise knitters! :love:

knebel22
06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Just saying Hi.
I just rediscovered knitting (learned 40 years ago). I've been cross stitching instead.
I just completed my first pair of socks and I'm loving it.

I live in Orange County, NY and I'm a teaching assistant in a high school. I have a DH, a DS 16 and two labs.

tkingny
06-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to introdece myself. I've only been knitting for about six months now, and KnittingHelp has been my ever-constant resource. Looking forward to sharing ideas on the forum!

Misty
06-30-2007, 10:38 AM
This site has been a big help to me as I'm just getting over the mountain of learning the basics. It's been great and has cleared up a lot of stuff that books make far too confusing. The videos are EXCELLENT! I've still got tons of questions and I'm glad that there is a place like the forums where people like me can go.

knitgirl72
06-30-2007, 11:27 AM
hello everyone!! I have been trying to learn how to knit for many,many,many years and was unable to understand books until I found this site with videos!!! Wow what a help!!! I just started yesterday and I know how to cast on and to make 1 row!!! YEAH!! I have yet to try on the second row or how to purl but I guess it will get better:cheering::shrug: Is there any other online videos that I can use to HELP ME!! Hope to here from you!

barbara2
06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Hello All,

This is my first posting. I have lots of questions even after I read directions. I started with crocheting as a child and remember it pretty well, but there are so many lovely things to knit...

Barbara2

Braden
06-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Welcome, everybody! Hope you like it here!

SusanMarie1956
06-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi!

I have been here before. I'm SusanMarie. but for some reason I can not get in as SusanMarie. It says my password is wrong. So I must have forgotten.

Susan

knitsiz
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'm a new knitter here - found out about the forum while browsing for knitting resources on the Internet. I'm new to 'serious' knitting, in that it was only recently that I bought a book on knitting and crochet and planned my first project (a hoodie - as soon as I can get into town to buy some more yarn!) I remember my grandmother teaching me how to knit when I was very young so I've always known how to do the stitches but I've spent the past couple of days using up all my stray bits of yearn refreshing my memory :)

So... my name's Sarah (most people call me Siz though, hence the name) I'm 19 and I live in England, dividing my time between Birmingham where I study French, Spanish and Japanese, and Kent where my parents live. Next year though, I'm off travelling as part of my course - I wonder if knitting's a big thing in Japan? :oo: Besides knitting I play music - piano, flute, guitar, viola (and tinwhistle in a folk band!) and read... mostly in English, but not always :P I also plan to have a go at crochet this summer, just because I love the results, so wish me luck with that... :lol:

Anyway, I look forward to talking to you :D

Jeremy
06-30-2007, 09:55 PM

CCNZ
06-30-2007, 11:32 PM
hello everyone from New Zealand!!!!

I only stumbled across this forum just now as I was searching for help on the project (well one of them!) on my needles at the moment - the cutey Amanda's Squatty Sidekick pattern. I first started knitting when I coveted all the beautiful knitted woollen covers for the modern cloth nappies (that's the cc part of my username - cloth convert) i use on my then only child but could not justify the price for them so in desperation learnt how to knit - that was back in 2004. Love the craft, but just can't seem to find enough time to do all the many things I'd like to do. I was for a long time a one knitting project going kinda gal, but currently, I have 4 projects I am working on!

Looking forward to hanging out here :-)

silvia castillo
07-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi, all! What a wonderful site! Too bad I didn't find it before. Anyway, thanks to the videos and posts I'm becoming more confident in my knitting and want to try new projects. So far, I've knitted I don't know how many scarves..........many, many. So I'm counting on your help. :hug:

silvia castillo
07-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi Siz! What a coincidence. Your first paragraph is very much what has happened to me. I'm sure we'll benefit tremendously from this site and also make great friends. Te deseo mucha suerte y exitos en tus clases de idiomas, especialmente espaniol que es mi idioma. Soy de Guatemala, Centro America y ven a visitarnos tambien. Un abrazo!

batemans bay
07-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hi my name is Cathy i just came across this site looking for the meaning of MB & CO in knitting i come from Australia so its very hard when i find a knitting pattern i like and i don't know what the meaning is could any one tell me the meaning please

Sloopy
07-01-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi, everyone. I've only been knitting for a couple of months now.

So far I've completed three scarves (of a very large knit on plastic needles) and two hats (on a loom). Those quick projects help motivate me in picking up those skills.

I've been improving on my form, adding new skills and working out those typical beginner mistakes by making practice panels with worsted weight yarn on smaller needles. (My purl stitch is not so enchanting right now.)

I was working with a Susan Bates "Learn to Knit" kit and trying to gain some insight with YouTube videos, when this site was recommended to this site by a friend. The site is so helpful and absolutely beautiful and cleanly designed from tip to toe. :muah: Thank you so much.

Oh, two more things: I'm a left-handed knitter and I have yarn addiction. :drool:

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi my name is Cathy i just came across this site looking for the meaning of MB & CO in knitting i come from Australia so its very hard when i find a knitting pattern i like and i don't know what the meaning is could any one tell me the meaning please
Welcome to our Forum :hug: There are lots of Aussies here. Maybe some of them will wander by and introduce themselves.

Our glossary is tabbed right above us. MB is defined as make bobble. Could it be M1B which is make one behind?. I'm going to copy your post to the Pattern Central forum. To get there press the forum tab and select Pattern Central. I'm going to title your post "Meaning of MB and CO"

Good Luck

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Welcome to all of our new members:hug:

ambling
07-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I am browsing ebay looking for yarn bargains this afternoon and find this forum accidentally!! Although I am generally not a forum person but I like this one so much so I can't wait to register! :D

I learned how to knit when I was in the secondary school but only picked up knitting again last October. now it's non-stopping knitting for me. ^_^

I am so glad to find this forum as I find it harder and harder to live with out knitting needles..:rollseyes:.

I am very much like to write a regular knitting blog but it proves I am too lazy for that but I am putting my knitting photos on my flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/ambling-lia/sets/72157600053602772/

please feel free to add your comment there, too!

Lia

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Welcome Ambling:hug:

cwgmom
07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
As a knitter just past "beginner", this site was recommended by a good friend who is a very advanced knitter. She was right, this is a very helpful site. I am currently working on a beautiful pattern that calls for the "carrying yarn" technique and I am so stuck. Any insights would be appreciated. Pattern states "drop white and pick up pink".

Todd
07-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Hello, everyone!

My name is Todd. I came across this site in an effort to find an answer to a knitting question (I'll pose that question later, but I thought I should introduce myself first). I'm looking forward to being a part of this knitting community (virtual as it is).

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lace pattern going that is consuming all of my spare time.

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
As a knitter just past "beginner", this site was recommended by a good friend who is a very advanced knitter. She was right, this is a very helpful site. I am currently working on a beautiful pattern that calls for the "carrying yarn" technique and I am so stuck. Any insights would be appreciated. Pattern states "drop white and pick up pink".
There are some nice videos on knitting with two colors here
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

If that doesn't help come back to our How to forum. Welcome to the Forum:hug:

gmmarton
07-01-2007, 08:12 PM
My name is Gail M. Marton. I'm in southern Connecticut in the Fairfield County area. I've been knitting for a long, long time, having been taught the Continental method by one of my grandmothers. My focus is on charity knitting, and I was very impressed with the links already posted to this website. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to come together for a common purpose.

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 09:25 PM
My name is Gail M. Marton. I'm in southern Connecticut in the Fairfield County area. I've been knitting for a long, long time, having been taught the Continental method by one of my grandmothers. My focus is on charity knitting, and I was very impressed with the links already posted to this website. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to come together for a common purpose.
Welcome Gail. :hug: I live in Eastern CT.

Jeremy
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Hello, everyone!

My name is Todd. I came across this site in an effort to find an answer to a knitting question (I'll pose that question later, but I thought I should introduce myself first). I'm looking forward to being a part of this knitting community (virtual as it is).

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lace pattern going that is consuming all of my spare time.
Welcome Todd. This month's knitting challenge is knitting lace.

Karmiec
07-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Everyone;
I haven't knitted since I was about 8 at school, but decided to try knitting something and got the bug bad!! I've been lurking around for free patterns (made the toddler poncho) and the instructional videos (I had forgotten how to purl and thats why I never knitted anything for ages)...

About me? I'm in New Zealand, got the link here from The Nappy Network as my 16 month old is in cloth nappies and that started off at whole 'nother addiction. The bonus of being a SAHM is that I have time to hide all my projects before my DH gets home and realises how much time and money is ferreted away for crafts.

:lol:

Dana
07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Hello. I am Dana from Eugene Oregon. I am a knitter and have been busy this summer knitting for Kaps for Kids. My big problem is that by the time I finish a hat I am so emotionally involved I hate to give the hat away. That is bad as it means I have about 40 hats in my wardrobe.

Jeremy
07-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Welcome to both of you.:hug: I've never heard of the nappy network.:shrug:

Riss
07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey, my name is Riss.

I'm a hardcore crocheter... learning to knit. I suppose I'm doing things backwards a little, but since my Mom doesn't know how to knit, she taught me to crochet.

But anyway, there are so many projects out there that are for knitters, I wanted to figure it out. I've started watching the videos, which are a huge help. Now it's just getting it down so that I can do it without hurting my fingers... :)

Thank you again for this wonderful site...

--Riss

Xyza
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone!

My grandmother taught me to knit when I was five or so and I've been knitting ever since. Although I've been knitting for quite a while I've just recently become comfortable working on more difficult patterns and I stumbled on this site while looking for a video to help me along. I will definitely be recommending this site to any new knitters.

Jeremy
07-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Welcome both of you:hug:

kknittinfool
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi. I have been knitting since I was in grade school although I stopped for many years. I have a friend and two daughters who like to knit so I tried it again. I forgot how enjoyable it can be. I have several friends at work that I have taught to knit. We are all having fun finding out new information and we all cannot wait to compare our projects. I also taught myself to crochet about 18 mos. ago and I like knitting better.

snowwhity
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi all,
Thank you for this site, it helps me to learning to knit.
I'm in Thailand (my english skill is not well) and I'm a beginner for knitting.
My friend, she’s going to study in California and I want to make a scarf for her so thank again for this fantastic site. :thumbsup:

farrah
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi-

I'm new and *trying* to learn how to knit...well...ok...I know how to "knit"...but only knit and only square/rectangle shapes...Now I'd like to learn how to purl and how to make something other than a scarf. And how to follow a pattern. =)

Anyways...just want to say hello.

Farrah

Sarah_NC
07-02-2007, 05:00 PM
The videos on this site have kept me from throwing my knitting in the garbage out of frustration. I began learning a year ago, but just completed my first year as a teacher and was quite rusty when I tried to pick it back up. I'm sure it will come in handy, thanks for all the good hints and tips! I've got two pregnant friends and will be attempting to knit baby blankets for both - I'm sure I will be back with plenty of questions!

abodenrader
07-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi, I'm Anne, and have been enjoying learning from this site and reading the threads so much, and didn't want to just be a lurker. I've been knitting for about 3 months (not including a short stint in college, many years ago) and have 3 "swatch bunnies" under my belt.

This is a great site, and I'm enjoying it so much. Thanks to you all!

rosecomplice
07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi all,
Wonderful site. Just what I needed!
Around where I live, beginning knitting lessons are about $100.00, so I'm attempting to teach myself. I'm very, very awkward with those needles and that yarn, let me tell you! I'd be embarrassed with actual other people around.
I have a question too, if it's okay to ask it here.
I purchased a 100% cotton yarn made by Sugar & Cream. Very inexpensive, but I'm wondering if I may have made a mistake buying it. This stuff is unravelling like crazy. I can clearly see every strand.
When I go into the stitch before doing the yarn over, I usually end up splitting the stitch. When I try to correct, I start dropping stitches
Is this my inexperience, or should I buy another type of yarn while I am learning?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Rosecomplice

pas_beancounter
07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Great site. I still consider myself a newbie in the crochet and knitting world and enjoy being able to see what things really mean when I'm attempting to follow a pattern. Keep up the solid work. Knit on!

Foxyie
07-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Hey yo, :waving:
I'm a Pa resident who has been knitting for a bit over a month after teaching myself with the help of KH videos.

I haven't yet used a pattern, but i've looked over a few.
sort of created a simple one of my own (after scrapping a section of ribbing and garter stitch) and am working on that scarf now.

not a very active member on any forum in terms of posting but i do enjoy looking at pictures and reading about others adventures in knitting! :X:

sgilly
07-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks -- I can't wait to start!

carla25
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Hello I am a new here and stumbled upon this website. I am a beginner knitter just started less than a week ago. My mother knits and is trying to teach me. I am determined to learn, and I hope with practice and determination I will be knitting all kinds of stuff soon!!!
Carla

Jeremy
07-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi all,
Wonderful site. Just what I needed!
Around where I live, beginning knitting lessons are about $100.00, so I'm attempting to teach myself. I'm very, very awkward with those needles and that yarn, let me tell you! I'd be embarrassed with actual other people around.
I have a question too, if it's okay to ask it here.
I purchased a 100% cotton yarn made by Sugar & Cream. Very inexpensive, but I'm wondering if I may have made a mistake buying it. This stuff is unravelling like crazy. I can clearly see every strand.
When I go into the stitch before doing the yarn over, I usually end up splitting the stitch. When I try to correct, I start dropping stitches
Is this my inexperience, or should I buy another type of yarn while I am learning?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Rosecomplice

Hi Rose, Welcome to the Forum :hug: It sounds to me like you would be happier with wool or acrylic. Experience will eventually allow you not to split stitches so much but in the meantime a less "stringier" yarn will be less frustrating. Beginers are often tempted to buy less expensive yarn but are often the ones who would benefit most from something a little better. In your case, even Red Heart, which is very inexpensive would be better than cotton for the very reason that you mentioned. I'm also going to copy your post and put it in the general section so other people can give their two cents worth too.:lol:

knitstersue
07-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I just joined today and love this site. I have used it often and find it very helpful.

Jeremy
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Welcome to all of our new members.:hug: What a great bunch!

Feef
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm a knewer knitter, having just learned about 2 years ago or so. I was referred to this site by the woman who taught me (by long distance phone conversations) how to knit, and I couldn't have succeeded without all the videos. Truly. I never registered though, because I figured since I was so knew to knitting, that I had nothing to offer. Not that I think I do now either, but do feel more confidence.

I started knitting dishcloths, and determined there had to be life after dishcloths. So I extended the patterns and made dish towels! LOL.

My goal in learning to knit, was to learn to knit socks, which I've learned only the top-down version. UGH, I paid $40 at my LYS for a private lesson on the figure-8 cast on, and never got past that part.

I'm also a knew knurse, having just graduated in December, am married with 2 grown sons and 3 grandsons.

So I'm an OLD knewer knitting knurse!

My husband and I are proudly owned by 6 indoor only cats, 2 rescued chinchillas, and ummm....about 13 fish in a 30-gallon tank.

So yea, knitting saves my sanity. Seriously.

:knitting:

Oh, and my name is really Jan. My dad nicknamed me Fifi when I was born, and then shortened it thru the years to Feef.

Nice to meet allaya's!

cleocatra64
07-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Good Afternoon: Its the day before the 4th of July and I am home with a nasty flu...glad I have tomorrow off too. I have been knitting for over 60 years, and like everything else, we all revolve in what we do, and knitting is one of them. I am an avid sock knitter, make Chemo Caps for cancer patients, slippers, sweater, and just about anything else there is to knit.

I still work full time, for about 3-5 more years, and I love to travel.

My given name is Peg, Cleocatra was my faithful cat. I am not sure where the "64" came from.

Have a great Holiday to all who enjoy freedom...to knit. :cheering:

Madrina
07-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi All:
My name is Wendy and I live in California .. new to knitting I taught myself how to about a month ago and I'm sooooo hooked! This site is AWESOME and its helped me so much in learning!

I needed something to do to take my mind off of the constant pain I'm in due to a really bad back injury. Its great therapy and I'm glad I decided to try.

I have 3 children ages 27,22 and 18 and I'm a single parent.

I look forward to meeting and chatting with you.

Yianna
07-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi from another newbie!

I taught myself how to knit a few years ago, but didn't do much other than two scarves. I just completed my first blanket and am working on baby booties.

I am sure I'll have a ton of questions as I get into things, but so far, I've found answers that I have needed.

Leslie

dianebernhar
07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
My name is Diane Bernhardt and I live in Cocoa Fl. I have knitted some over the years but just recently took it up very seriously and I am knitting a vest for my husband which includes a cable pattern. You knit so many and then the cable pattern starts, what my pattern says is for shaping the armholes, it is Cable row 5 (RS) k 2 k2 tog, pt to last 4 st, ssk k 2, so my question is, is this actually on the cable pattern?

panchita
07-04-2007, 01:52 AM
My boyfriend found this site for me. He's an avid forum denizen and has been hoping I'll find a forum I like to haunt, too. I think he's done it!! I'll be here's lots and lots!

He earned some good boyfriend points tonight!

FiberFreak
07-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Hello all! My name is Cristy and I live in Texas and despite the hot weather, I love to knit/crochet right under the ac register!

My mother taught me to knit and crochet when I was 5 and 40 years later, I'm still enjoying the craft. I enjoy knitting from baby items, socks, blankets and recently delved into knitting adult garments.

I will have to admit, I have a stack of UFOs! Every year I make the resolution to not buy anything new and get through my projects, but I succomb to the temptation of all those wonderful fibers!

I am looking forward to joining in the fun with ya'll!:cheering:

sgcb07
07-04-2007, 04:14 AM
hi i'm sgcb07 and have been knitting for ages. I'm looking to advance my skills and my goal is to finish all my ufos. So hi to you all I look forward to many long distance knitting adventures.
Cheers

lanka1
07-04-2007, 08:08 AM
This site is wonderful. I am a relatively new knitter in NH and have been looking for a site just like this one. It has everything anyone could ask for. Thanks Amy for taking the time to bring us all together on this site.

PrisKnits
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello all,
I am a new member and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Priscilla and I knit, so I am on here as PrisKnits--so original, I know. I've been knitting for about 6 years and I spent the first 3 just knitting scarves because I have a limited attention span. However, I became very interested in lace knitting and using pattern stitches to create lovely things. I'm not much of a garment knitter, so I focus on knitting items fo the home for lack of a better term. Today I'm looking for some specific help with knitting in the round--any experts out there?
Priscilla

Lauri
07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I am a new knitter who is completing a felted bag with ICord Bind Off - Don't know what to do with the last five stitches - Any help in easy explanation?
:shrug:

jackyrussell
07-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I have just found this site through a UK one - and decided to join! It looks really interesting - I have been knitting for years - just for myself and family - but suffer from 'unfinished project' syndrome - which means lots of yarn/patterns abandoned in corners! x I am presently knitting a jacket for myself and have almost completed the back - looking forward to some interesting reading on here! :happydancing:

kathryn v
07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
My name is Kathryn and I've been knitting since college...hhhmmmm,
many more years ago than I care to admit! I am the mother of 4 grown children and recently a new grammy of 3 adopted grandchildren, whom I adore! Two beautiful little boys...one 6 yrs old from Taiwan and one 8 yrs old from Russia...and finally a gorgeous little girl from Colombia, South America who turned 8 in March! In the "old days," I could follow any pattern, and knit almost anything. But I got into other crafts for many years and now I don't seem able to remember many of the techniques I used to master...including knitting in the round and cable stitching. I'm addicted to yarn, and recently, when our only local knit shop closed its doors, my husband bought me one of their display shelving units. So I have almost ceiling to floor shelves in one of my guest rooms, and I love to go in and just sit and look at all the beautiful, colorful skeins of yarn. May sound a little nutty, but it's almost like a place of refuge when life becomes too hectic.
;-) I've been investigating natural fibers, and love knitting boas in recycled sari silk from Nepal. If anyone has experience with recycled silk, I'd love to know what items you've made, and what size needles you've used?? I'm also experimenting with bamboo yarns, and have made many little purses, which I line in colorful silk fabric. Does anyone have a source for decorative buttons?? In ending this post, I hope to exchange ideas for different projects. I really don't have any friends here who knit with the same verocity I do. Although I have been trying to form a weekly knitting circle here on the island, so far I haven't had any response. BTW: If you haven't read "The Knitting Circle," I recommend it highly!!
This is the very first time I've been to this site, which my husband found for me. I am looking forward to seeing the videos everyone is talking about.

KnittingNat
07-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Welcome :hug:! It's a great knitting community and we LOVE supporting hubbies :cheering:

kathryn v
07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Please tell me...what is "stranding?"

KT120
07-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Lori, you may want to post your question with the exact wording of the pattern in the "How To" forum.

Welcome!

KnittingNat
07-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Please tell me...what is "stranding?"
Stranding is the more correct word for Fair Isle technique, because you can knit other patterns and not particularly Fair Isle with this. It's basically using 2 or more colours and making patterns with them (knit a few stitches with colour #1, while stranding the other colours behind your work and then changing colours). Amy has great videos for that technique.

kathryn v
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Stranding is the more correct word for Fair Isle technique, because you can knit other patterns and not particularly Fair Isle with this. It's basically using 2 or more colours and making patterns with them (knit a few stitches with colour #1, while stranding the other colours behind your work and then changing colours). Amy has great videos for that technique.
Thank you for your response. I can see that I have a lot of things to learn. :-)

Jeremy
07-04-2007, 04:13 PM
My name is Diane Bernhardt and I live in Cocoa Fl. I have knitted some over the years but just recently took it up very seriously and I am knitting a vest for my husband which includes a cable pattern. You knit so many and then the cable pattern starts, what my pattern says is for shaping the armholes, it is Cable row 5 (RS) k 2 k2 tog, pt to last 4 st, ssk k 2, so my question is, is this actually on the cable pattern?

Hi Diane. Welcome to the Forum. I'm going to copy your post to the Pattern forum. I'm sure someone will follow up with your question there. I'll title it 'Help with Cable Pattern".

Jeremy
07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I am a new knitter who is completing a felted bag with ICord Bind Off - Don't know what to do with the last five stitches - Any help in easy explanation?
:shrug:

Welcome to the Forum Laurie. I copied your question to the How to questions forum under the title "I cord question." Have a look there for some answers.:hug:

Jeremy
07-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Hello all,
I am a new member and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Priscilla and I knit, so I am on here as PrisKnits--so original, I know. I've been knitting for about 6 years and I spent the first 3 just knitting scarves because I have a limited attention span. However, I became very interested in lace knitting and using pattern stitches to create lovely things. I'm not much of a garment knitter, so I focus on knitting items fo the home for lack of a better term. Today I'm looking for some specific help with knitting in the round--any experts out there?
Priscilla

Hi Pricilla. We have a lot of experts here. Just post a question in the How to question forum. Welcome :hug:

ksheady
07-04-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm finding this site very usefull, as I am a Knewbie Knitter. When I needed to bind off for the first time the video was just what the dr. ordered. I find myself coming back again and again! Thank you soo much!!:muah:

Jeremy
07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Welcome to all of the great new knitters who joined today. What great additions to our community!:hug:

sunny2knit
07-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Hello everyone, I took up knitting not too long ago to help with stress. I enjoy learning different stiches. I found this site the other day and it is so user friendly. I love the vidoes that you can view since I learn best be seeing.
Look forward to learning much more.
Sunny2knit

Jeremy
07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Welcome Sunny:hug:

Nikita P
07-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Hello All,

I am knew to the group and would like to say hello. 'Hello' I am new to knitting and really enjoy it. My first three projects came out pretty good, so it's nice to make something and have it turn out really nice. I look forward to knitting for my friends and family.

I own 3 Pygmy Goats ( Maisy, Dahlia and SweetPea), 2 Dogs (Hunter and Tanner) and 20 some odd chickens. Which are my Wonderful girls, as they work really hard and provide lots of eggs for my family and dogs to eat. But my dogs are my kids.

I am currently working on a baby blanket for my nephew's daughter. It's made of four different blocks comprised of 32 cast on stitches. I would like to add an additional block and found a pattern that I really like in the book Knitting over the edge. Only I don't know if I am reading it write and would like to see if I can get some help.

The pattern is called the 'Wrapped Rib' on page 24. It says the pattern is in multiples of 6 stitches plus 3. I assume that I can only cast on in multiples of 6 and/or, the plus 3, in multiples of 9?

I'm not affraid to try something new. I have learned a lot from 'ripping' projects apart. Although, I'd prefer not to. :)

In case your wondering, the other blocks are from a four seasons pattern that someone provided me the four other blocks I made. I really want to add another block with this pattern. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Nikita

Myknitting
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I am new - a knitter for 20 years and now turn a crafter/designer. I still knit for friends and family, but because of my age, I am slower now.

Because of my passion for knitting, I am able to come out with all kinds of knitting organizers -- all design by me. Hope you find something you are looking for.
http://needleholders.tripod.com
Cheers!:happydancing:

losnana
07-06-2007, 06:08 AM
I am currently working on a baby blanket for my nephew's daughter. It's made of four different blocks comprised of 32 cast on stitches. I would like to add an additional block and found a pattern that I really like in the book Knitting over the edge. Only I don't know if I am reading it write and would like to see if I can get some help.

The pattern is called the 'Wrapped Rib' on page 24. It says the pattern is in multiples of 6 stitches plus 3. I assume that I can only cast on in multiples of 6 and/or, the plus 3, in multiples of 9?

I'm not affraid to try something new. I have learned a lot from 'ripping' projects apart. Although, I'd prefer not to. :)

In case your wondering, the other blocks are from a four seasons pattern that someone provided me the four other blocks I made. I really want to add another block with this pattern. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Nikita

The new block is to be a multiple of 6 to which you have then added 3, if that makes sense. For example 30 stitches plus 3 = 33. This is not the same as a multiple of 9. I think I'd try 33 stitches. It may not be noticeably different than 3, unless you're picking up stitches or something. If it was the middle block of each row, it would be even less noticeable I would think.

buddhistcats
07-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi I'm Deborah and I just joined a few minutes. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and get some help also. I have knitted for many years and have done some crocheting also. I'm trying to learn the Continental method. I use the English. So hello everybody.

onefriedegg
07-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi All ,

I'm new to this forum but not to knitting . I love this website ! I'm between projects at the moment . I'm looking forward to being an active member here and making new knitting and crafty friends .

Lisa

Jeremy
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Welcome to our new members. Can you spin pygmy goat hair?:hug:

Jeanse
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello! I am just learning to knit and this site has been an amazing help!

kenny
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I'm really enjoying enjoying the site and the forum, they have been a huge help to me in learning to knit.

About me:
My wife's name is Lisa, and we have two children with one on the way. K.C. is 2 and Katie is 1. We live in Goose Creek, SC. My wife is a school teacher, and I am a computer programmer.

Knitting:
I have been knitting for two weeks. I started when my wife picked up a teach yourself to knit book at the bookstore. I'm currently working on an hat for myself and a shawl for my wife.

losnana
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Kenny, I actually know where Goose Creek is!!! I'm sure that puts me in a minority.

kittynitty
07-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Hello
I'm new to knitting and am stuck. Afghan for beginners. What does it mean to "(K,P,K) all in next st.??
By the way what a great site!!
Carolyn

prayershawl
07-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey all,
Well I'm 19 and I just learned to knit about a week ago. I wanted to learn to knit because I enjoy making things with my hands. Also, my church has started this new thing called the Prayer Shawl Ministry. We knit rectangular or triangular shawls for people who are sick,elderly, or going through a difficult time. People lay their hands on the shawl and pray over it specifically for that person and then it is presented to them. It's pretty neat! We use Homespun yarn. I already started my first shawl with Sunshine State colored yarn. It's so exciting to see my knitting improve and my work grow! I've learned soooo much. To anyone who knits larger items like blankets or shawls...bamboo circular needles are the way to go!
Happy knitting,
Esther:heart:

jumboneedle
07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi everyone, my name's Michael and I'm a 25-year old who learned to knit from his girlfriend, BostonBecca as she's known here, a few months ago. I've been working on a blanket for a while now and have gotten to the point where I'm comfortable knitting in front of her family, including her father, no small step. If you'd like to get to know me and my blanket a little better, I'd be very happy if you took a few minutes to check out my knitting blog at http://manneedles.blogspot.com/

pookie_one
07-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey Amy...fantastic job with this website. I am relatively new to knitting. I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time in the fall and I have ambitiously set about knitting some things for my coming grandchild. I still make some mistakes (usually when I knit too late in the day and tired), but my husband tells me that adds character to the piece. I want less character and more wow factor though so I'll keep going...practice makes perfect and this site will help me when I stumble.

Thanks for being here for all of us newbie knitters!

pookie

knitting_mom
07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi All,
My name is Susan. I have only been knitting for about a year. I was so thankful when I happened upon this site. The learning videos have helped me so much. I hope to learn alot more and make a lot of knitting friends.

Thanks Again for this site

Jeremy
07-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Hello
I'm new to knitting and am stuck. Afghan for beginners. What does it mean to "(K,P,K) all in next st.??
By the way what a great site!!
Carolyn

Welcome Carolyn :hug: This is an increase stitch. Normally, when you knit or purl you just take the stitch off and move it to the right needle. In this case, you will do the knit stitch, keep the stitch you just created and move your needle to purl on the original stitch, then you will knit again on the same stitch and then, finally lift them off and move them to the right needle. Hope this helps,if not come back. You might ask at the How to forum.

Jeremy
07-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey all,
Well I'm 19 and I just learned to knit about a week ago. I wanted to learn to knit because I enjoy making things with my hands. Also, my church has started this new thing called the Prayer Shawl Ministry. We knit rectangular or triangular shawls for people who are sick,elderly, or going through a difficult time. People lay their hands on the shawl and pray over it specifically for that person and then it is presented to them. It's pretty neat! We use Homespun yarn. I already started my first shawl with Sunshine State colored yarn. It's so exciting to see my knitting improve and my work grow! I've learned soooo much. To anyone who knits larger items like blankets or shawls...bamboo circular needles are the way to go!
Happy knitting,
Esther:heart:

Welcome Esther.:hug: You might be interested in our Charity Knitting forum.

Jeremy
07-07-2007, 10:08 PM

gloria pilla
07-08-2007, 01:35 AM
I am beginning to knit but I find it intimidating. With such a good group of crafters I am sure I could pick up some pointers and tips on how to make it easy or less intimidating and more enjoyable.

Can you help me understand " yarn forward (yfwd)" for a starter.

gloria

Jeremy
07-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I am beginning to knit but I find it intimidating. With such a good group of crafters I am sure I could pick up some pointers and tips on how to make it easy or less intimidating and more enjoyable.

Can you help me understand " yarn forward (yfwd)" for a starter.

gloria

Welcome to the forum Gloria. :hug: Yarn forward in most cases means the same thing as yarn over or yo. There is a glossary tab right above us. A yarn over means you wrap the yarn around the needle in the same way you would as if you were knitting or purling a stitch but without putting the right needle into the stitch. Its a type of increase that will create a hole on purpose in the knitting.

Samsam
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi, my name is Samantha =) I love to knit headbands, purses and animals..flowers too! My favorite size needle is 8..dpns are love too.

knittin
07-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Hello! Finally registered myself and thought I should say who I am and such! Dawn, been knitting for a few years and popped on to get pointers for when I teach friends. Specificially Left handed friends.

I started knitting when I was pregnant with my first child and haven't stopped since. The only thing that I haven't been able to successfully accomplish knitting is Fair Isle. I am trying to get my lys (very very very small one) to hold a fair isle class, but it doesn't look promising:cry: Guess I will have to travel for it. Bummer.:pout:

Ginnyb
07-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Hello there, I am new here. I have been using Knittinghelp videos to help me, so thought I would join the forum. I have been knitting just about a year. I have made mostly scarves, but a couple of lucy bags, a booga bag, baby blanket and am now trying to make a camisole for my granddaughter! That has not been going well, I have started over about 8 times! Not satisfied with my lack of consistency with the tension, but I am getting better! Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist! I do love knitting though...I am addicted already.

I am 57 and a librarian, so sometimes it is hard on whether I want to knit or read a book!!! I hope to get get to know you better!!!

Jeremy
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Welcome to all our new members.:hug:

jillianadriana
07-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi, I'm Jillian!
I'm 16 years old and am from Ontario, Canada.
I love knitting! Hehe.
And I want to learn how to crochet.
Anyways, just thought I'd introduce myself.
God bless.
:)

Jeremy
07-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi Jill, Welcome.:hug:

Jeremy
07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi Jane. Welcome back.:hug:

bloomee
07-09-2007, 08:55 PM
What a great site! I will back often with new updates. Thanks for doing this, its about time. :o
Could anyone tell me how to attach a different colored yarn at the end of a row> Thanks. bloomee:inlove:

losnana
07-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Check out the videos at the toop of this page. Try "More " under Basic Techniques. I think it is near the bottom of the page.

Sheree
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I enjoy knitting and have found this website very helpful - especially the videos!

Jeremy
07-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the Forum.:hug:

Epicurus
07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi,
I am Collette and I love to knit, crochet, spin, and pretty much any craft! I have my own fiber animals, an Alpaca named Bacchus and his buddy Athena a Dorset Ewe. I also have 2 angora rabbits. I have my own yarn shop as well. I sell custom dyed yarns as well as hand spun yarn:) I look forward to enjoying these forums with all of you!

Collette

http://lazyperryranchblog.blogspot.com/

Jeremy
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Wow Collette. That is some resume. You might want to put your business in the buy sell swap forum. There is a thread at the very top to do that. Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you have a whole lot to contribute.:hug:

jwilko
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi all, just new hope to make new knitting friends around the world

Patience
07-10-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm so glad to be able to join you on this great forum.....I can't believe it took me so long to find you, but here I am at last! :lol:

I've been knitting steadily for about 7 years now, but learned to knit about 20 years ago. At first, I was always knitting, but then I got a job outside the home and my knitting was put aside as a 'only now and then' past time. Happily, I've cut back on my work, and upped my knitting time considerably. I still have much to learn and I'm sure everyone here can help me out with whatever problems I might run into in the future.

Thanks for bringing me onboard! :cheering:

Cheers, Patience

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

Braden
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Welcome, all! Hope you like it here! :waving:

Knit Mom
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am a very new knitter who is looking to meet some more people who can lend support, tips and tricks.

knitnkitten
07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Hello,
I am a 44 year old nurse, I started knitting when I was about 8, but I stopped knitting, and started crocheting. I have recently "picked up" knitting again, I've been biten by the knitting bug! My recent passion is lace knitting. I can do feather and fan, faggott( purse stitch) and little shell pattern, but I find that staying on pattern is really hard for me. I did find out that I can stay on pattern better with a stitch chart of the pattern. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stay on pattern when knitting lace patterns? Should I try a stitch marker after every repeat of the pattern?
Thanks. I am glad to join and hope to learn and share alot. :shrug:

Braden
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Welcome! This is a great place to learn and inspire. KnitnKitten, take a look at my Lace Challenge in the Knit-Along board, everybody is sharing great tips for lace knitting. I hope you like it herer!

Jeremy
07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the Knittinghelp Forum!:hug:

kit8
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi,
I'm introducing myself as a new member. I am a beginning knitter.
My name is Kathy. I use the name Kit on your site because I was named after my Grandma Kit. A friend I work with got me started knitting. So far I have knitted several scarves, dishcloths, a sweater, two beanies, and a purse. I love your how-to videos on this website. I have viewed them a lot. I hope I'm posting this introduction correctly, since I'm not that great on computers.

nola
07-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I can't tell you how many times this site has saved my afghan project! I really appreciate the clear instructions and the videos clips are wonderful. I'm happy to join the forum.
Thanks...

Epicurus
07-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Thank you Jeremy:)

Collette

tricotlin
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Amy.
l am tricotlin a new member as of today. l needed to make buttonholes for a project and l almost panicked at the idea and l found how to do them here and l have just finsihed them.
l am proud of myseld lol. l am eager to meet new ppl and talk about knitting and bla bla bla.
Tricotlon

lady59
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi
I am new to knitting but have been crocheting every since I can remember and I find that it is cheaper than a therapist :) but still costly casu I am a yarn junkie :) I am exicted about the new friends I will make and hope to be able to share alot of great ideas and I hope to learn alot more about knitting

tloving
07-12-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm a new knitter, and already have a bunch of projects in my head that I can't wait to learn how to do!!

mariateresia
07-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Hi...
I am Maria Teresia from Bandung, Indonesia. I'm a beginner in knitting, that's why I'm so happy when I found this web site. From here, I can learn much.
Thank you so much for build this web-site. It's really great for me... :)

Telly

saracidaltendencies
07-12-2007, 01:45 AM
I truly apologize for being so intermittent on here! Been so busy with the kids and illnesses and stuff I haven't had much time to check much besides my e-mail lately...Unfortunately I haven't gotten much knitting done either! :( I did, however, manage to finish a scarf for myself, the first thing I've done in months! Will have pics soon!

Sparklefly
07-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and I'm a brand new knitter. My grandmother taught me to crochet years and years ago and I've always been afraid of knitting. The only way I managed to get started was to watch the knitting videos on this site, so for that, THANK YOU!

About me - I'm 30, have three kids, boy age 11, girl age 9 and boy age 2. I've been married for going on 12 years and I live in Las Vegas. I'm a substitute teacher and I'm going to school to be an elementary school teacher.

I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Jeremy
07-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Welcome and Welcome back to everyone.:hug:

cat_tecson
07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi I'm Cathy and I'm also a newbie to knitting. I'm so into this that I've already made three scarves - all garter stiched :lol: Thanks to the videos on this site, I finally mastered the bind off and purl. I look forward to making more scarves and soon blankets or throws.

KKraft
07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Hello I'm Katie and have been knitting for a few years now. I love this forum and usually check it out everyday. I finally decided to join because I really want to help out with an oddball blanket for charity. I think it's a great idea and really want to get involved.

ohoyo42
07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
clarify these instructions: Dec 1 st at neck edge every 4th row 6 times, every 6th row 13 times, At the same time.

Jeremy
07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum! I am going to copy your post to the pattern help forum. Have a look there to see answers to your question.

Jeremy
07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the site everyone.:hug:

TxCynDoll
07-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi, I just joined this forum today from a link at another forum at Cafemom. I want to thank you Amy for a fantastic site...

I'm not new to knitting, but have found a few helpful hints here and just love the way you have setup your site to help others...I love the videos...like I never knew there was two way of knitting like the Continental knit and English knit which is what I do. I would like to try the Continental, it should be easy for me as I crochet as well. I did learn the proper way of putting work back on needles as I have had that happen to me before. Thanks for that video...

But my problem is when I have started a project and it's been some time, and I mean sometime since I worked on it and then want to finish it, I don't know how to figure out on a pattern row where I left off, so I can finish it...like a sweather I am almos finished with, my daughter when she was really little cut off the last line or two of the pattern, it was a leaflet and I was able to go online after years of that project just sitting, and emailed them and they sent me a copy of it...It's a lacey pattern and I'm not sure how to pick up where I left off...maybe you have some ideas...I can take a pic and post it, if you think that would help...Just let me know...Thanks in advance...

I have learned since then to have a pad handy and would write down the rows, and then mark them off as I finish that row...I would keep that paper with my project...I have counters, but sometimes my grandbabies would mess with them so then I don't know where I was...

Rhea
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Cool site! =]

I'll be sticking around.

MarthaStarWarsFan
07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Hello hello!

I'm so glad to finally be signing up and posting for the first time (ding!).

My name is Martha, and as you can see, I'm a Star Wars fan...and am also becoming almost equally obsessive about knitting over the past year.

I'm a nurse in Texas...because of the hot climate I make mostly dishcloths lately...it's fun and lets me practice different stitches...I'm also trying to learn stranding by knitting a Star TREK swatch (couldn't find many easy Star Wars patterns).

I'm sure I'll meet lots of new interesting folks here, and look forward to learning a lot! :)

Your pal in Buda, TX,

Martha Clark

crafty_mumma
07-13-2007, 03:15 AM
:waving:everyone,
I joined the site a little while back, this is my first post.
I learnt basic crochet from my nan in my teens and made only blankets. A few years back I taught myself how to knit. I only made scarfs and beanies, till I decided to jump in the deep end and try a pattern. I finished it a few mths back and am totally addicted to yarn. :muah:

Currenly I am making cushion covers (own pattern) for my sister for her new house and matching mat for her coffee table.

I have a few projects lined up for the next few mths. I have so much more to learn. I am inspired by this site.
Thanks
Jacqui x

bruisinraincloud
07-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Hello, Im new & I wanted to introduce myself.

Im very brand new to knitting & Ive joined to try to learn more!

cant wait to get to know you all better!

Joan NYC
07-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi

Always looking to learn new techniques and tips in knitting even though I have been knitting since I am 5 years old :lol:

Love the videos

Was doing a search for "double knitting" tutorials and found lots of other information

My favorite thing to knit is socks and other small projects

My mini-doxie "Purl" sits on my lap while I knit

Joan NYC

Jeremy
07-13-2007, 01:45 PM
:hug:Welcome everyone.
TxCynDoll- I'll copy your post to the Pattern forum. Look there under the title "Help with resuming a pattern"

mellybelly
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
My name is Melissa. I have a brand new baby boy and I love knitting soakers, hats, and I am looking for a pattern for baby legs. Hopefully I will find it on here. I dont know how many times those videos have saved me from complete breakdown. THanks!!!!:cheering:

scarroll
07-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I am very new to knitting. I just found this site by chance this morning. I have already made a stockinette swatch! I did take me most of the day and about 100 times restarting, but it looks good! Thank you for this great site! I will be on here constantly!

Sharman

losnana
07-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Welcome everyone. I'm sure you'll love this site as much as the rest of us do. The amount of expert knowledge available is ruly amazing!

seagull647
07-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi, I found your site recently because a friend suggested that I start knitting. I have knitted in the past (about 40 years ago) so it has not been too difficult to start again. I started on a scarf because I need the practice and its easy. I find this site very helpful. Joy:happydance:

Hege
07-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Hi!
I'm Hege from Norway.
I love to knit and hopefully I'll get to know you better in here - looks like a great place to hang :thumbsup:

JenTucker
07-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello!

I am making my first official garment (not a scarf or hat!) and have a question about binding off to shape the neckline/armholes. (I hope this isn't a "Duh!" question--I had to get outside help the first time I made I-cord :lol:) After I bind off the required number of stitches. I am left with one stitch on my right needle. What am I supposed to do with that lone stitch? This is the only thing holding me back at this time. I just need some help.

As a self-taught knitter, this website has been SOOOOOOOOO helpful. Thanks!

upstategal1974
07-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm new to knitting. I just took a beginner knitting class and completed my first scarf last week. Hoping to eventually move beyond scarves to other projects eventually.

humbledaisy
07-14-2007, 11:51 PM
What a great idea for a site. I've been knitting for several years and feel pretty confident but every once in a while, I need some advice. I'm working on some lace right now so I am sure I'll be back soon!

not_a_lobster
07-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Hello!

I'm new to knitting - I knit one scarf last winter, and have started again this winter (it's winter here in Australia). 3 days ago I found out I have not been knitting correctly! I've looked at all the videos and am not entirely sure what stitch I've been doing all this time!

Needless to say, I've had somebody show me the way to "get the v's" as I put it. The videos on this site have been a wonderful help!

Now I'm getting all ambitious and am thinking up weird and wonderful things I can knit!! I have no patterns, but I've never followed a pattern before anyway :)

how hard can it be?? hehehe - wait till you see a gazillion posts in the "how do I?" section :P

Nice to meet you all!

-NAL

foxboro56
07-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Picking up knitting again and having a difficult time remembering how to read directions. Could someone please explain these directions to me. Thanks in advance.

K2tog.*(K1,yfwd,K1) into next st,sl 1,K2tog,psso,rep from*to last 3 sts,(K1,yfwd,K1)into next st,sl 1,K1,psso.

For those looking for yarns available here, try eBay UK. Many of these people will ship worldwide. Just get a postage quote first as postage from the UK can get expensive.

knitabit38
07-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Introduction, I guess. I'm an old knitter and brand new to the forum, having started at age 8 at the knee of a wonderful aunt who had just returned from serving as a Red Cross nurse in WW II. Guess that dates me very quickly. We live winters in Florida and summers on a lake in Michigan. My biggest problem has been finding summer weight yarns and patterns, as we really don't have much need for heavier things.
Fortunately our eldest (radiologist) has moved from FL to VT, so their family provides me with a great destination for knitting heavier projects as well.
I love to do cables more than anything - everything from afghans to heavy sweaters, and have found several patterns I enjoy which are either short-sleeved or sleeveless. (The latter is not so flattering when you are 69.)
Over the years, I've found that these forums can be the most wonderful source of sharing, challenge, and friendship, and I'm delighted to have found this one - and am looking forward to chatting on a very regular basis.
Right off the bat, I've studies the two needles (circular) technique for socks, and am going to try it out on the neckline of a cotton sweater I just finished, and for which I did not have either a 16" needle, nor DPs. I do, however, have two circular needles, so maybe it will get finished afterall. It's a fairly lacey pattern I found on the internet - short sleeved and loose.

Looking forward to chatting. And thank you Amy and others for putting this together.

And how do you say thanks???

losnana
07-15-2007, 08:35 AM
At the bottom of each post are four small rectangular buttons. the one on the right is"Thanks" Just click on it.

wolfette
07-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the board and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been knitting for about a year and a half. My SIL showed me a little bit one day and I've been going full steam ahead ever since, learning new things from various sources ( including this site).I remember my grandmother knitting when I was little, but she never taught me. My great and great -great grandmothers also knitted. My mom even has my g-g grandmother's spinning wheel (unfortunately not in a usable state). My LYS (The Grateful Thread) is run by a non-profit group called Schuylkill Women in Crisis, who help those who are victims of domestic violence. Thanks to everyone in advance and may the knitting gods smile on your projects! :knitting:

emorrell
07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi, everyone, I am so glad I found this website....because I could use all the help I can get on learning how to knit. I look forward on learning from other people and any advice I can get-would be so appreciative. Who knows, maybe I will become a pro and than I can give knitting advice one day!!!:thumbsup:

Barbara Porterie
07-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone

I've visited this site many times after references from the Kitter's Review Forum. Have found the videos to be most helpful. I'm just returning to knitting after many years of doing other forms of needlework. So much has change, yarns, techniques and the internet helplines. I live outside of Phoenix AZ and look forward to being a new member of your group. I'm sure I'll learn many things.

Barbara

McKnitty
07-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone! This is my very first post, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I'm so happy and excited to be a part of KH.

I have been visiting the website since I first started knitting in spring 2005. This website has been such a help to me, especially late at night when my LYS is closed. I finally decided to join when I saw the Charity Knitting forum. KH is such a wonderful group of people!

Amy, I can't thank you enough for starting this wonderful website. Knitting has become an important part of my life, and this website has become an important part of my knitting.

Cameron
07-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi all

Just wanted to say hello and thanks, my grandma taught to knit years ago but i forgot LOL, this site helped me get back into it
and allowed me to pick up so cool tips and ideas, thanks alot keep up the awsome work

sueellen48
07-16-2007, 08:53 AM
i'm knitting a afghan on circular needle how do i do a ssk, is it the next three stitches?

sueellen48
07-16-2007, 08:57 AM
i'm knitting a afghan on circular needle how do i do a ssk, is it the next three stitches?

:hug:

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. Here is the video.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Hello!

I am making my first official garment (not a scarf or hat!) and have a question about binding off to shape the neckline/armholes. (I hope this isn't a "Duh!" question--I had to get outside help the first time I made I-cord :lol:) After I bind off the required number of stitches. I am left with one stitch on my right needle. What am I supposed to do with that lone stitch? This is the only thing holding me back at this time. I just need some help.

As a self-taught knitter, this website has been SOOOOOOOOO helpful. Thanks!

Jen Welcome to the Forum. Sorry about the delay in getting to your question. I'm going to copy your post to the Pattern Help forum. Have a look sometime today for an answer.:hug:

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Betsy Baumann
07-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi ,
I am Just learning to knit , finished my sample square and on to my first scarf.I'm a homebody with 3 dogs and a big flower garden .
Love all needle work , I've done embroidery and crochet for ma
ny years,but for some reason I've always been afraid of knitting maybe it's because my friend mades the most compicated ski sweaters . Very intimidating.
My nephew just had a new baby and I would like to make a little hat someware I saw a tomato hat does anyone know were I could find that pattern if it's not to hard for a rookie.
Betsy

Songbirdy
07-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi All,

I am not new, but after a good few days of searching and not a bit of luck I've decided to re-register. Sorry Mods! I don't want to swell the numbers needlessly but I also just was able to come and play again as you all are so irresistible!

I am Roberta/Birdy, formerly of the Stratford area. We recently bought our first house. It is a whole 5 minutes from my hubby's work instead of the 1 hour 15 minutes of our old house.

So my sewing machine has been doing a lot of work right now. While I'd like to knit curtains I've faced the fact that I would be long bored with that project!

I'm still Homeschooling the darling children, the boy and the girl.

We've only got 2 cats now, the pet cow came along in another form (sorry vegetarians, but hubby is not!), the dog found a new home and the chickens are no longer our responsibility. We miss our doggie dearly, but felt that since he was 7 years a farm/country dog he would have a happier life with a retired couple that offered to adopt him than in our inch of yard we now own.

We moved in June 2nd and I unpacked the last box this past Tuesday. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week saw me sewing the curtains. And every single other mending job my kidlets decided I simply *had* to do right then and there.

So that is about it. I've found the time (err, insisted upon finding the time) to pass a few round on the socks. I also decided to muddy the water and started a filigree crochet project because my Great Aunt gave me her collection of crochet things and I wanted to see if I enjoyed it before I accepted the gift. I do.

That will be enough of an update for now. The Kidlets are demanding another chapter (well, they've up'd it to 4 chapters) of Charlie and the Glass Elevator so I MUST go now!

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi ,
I am Just learning to knit , finished my sample square and on to my first scarf.I'm a homebody with 3 dogs and a big flower garden .
Love all needle work , I've done embroidery and crochet for ma
ny years,but for some reason I've always been afraid of knitting maybe it's because my friend mades the most compicated ski sweaters . Very intimidating.
My nephew just had a new baby and I would like to make a little hat someware I saw a tomato hat does anyone know were I could find that pattern if it's not to hard for a rookie.
Betsy
Hi Betsy, welcome.:hug: I'm going to copy your post to the Pattern forum under the title "looking for tomato hat pattern." So have a look there later today.

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi All,

I am not new, but after a good few days of searching and not a bit of luck I've decided to re-register. Sorry Mods! I don't want to swell the numbers needlessly but I also just was able to come and play again as you all are so irresistible!

I am Roberta/Birdy, formerly of the Stratford area. We recently bought our first house. It is a whole 5 minutes from my hubby's work instead of the 1 hour 15 minutes of our old house.

So my sewing machine has been doing a lot of work right now. While I'd like to knit curtains I've faced the fact that I would be long bored with that project!

I'm still Homeschooling the darling children, the boy and the girl.

We've only got 2 cats now, the pet cow came along in another form (sorry vegetarians, but hubby is not!), the dog found a new home and the chickens are no longer our responsibility. We miss our doggie dearly, but felt that since he was 7 years a farm/country dog he would have a happier life with a retired couple that offered to adopt him than in our inch of yard we now own.

We moved in June 2nd and I unpacked the last box this past Tuesday. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week saw me sewing the curtains. And every single other mending job my kidlets decided I simply *had* to do right then and there.

So that is about it. I've found the time (err, insisted upon finding the time) to pass a few round on the socks. I also decided to muddy the water and started a filigree crochet project because my Great Aunt gave me her collection of crochet things and I wanted to see if I enjoyed it before I accepted the gift. I do.

That will be enough of an update for now. The Kidlets are demanding another chapter (well, they've up'd it to 4 chapters) of Charlie and the Glass Elevator so I MUST go now!

Welcome Back:hug: Did you notice we have a crochet forum now?

cazgram
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm new on the site. I used to spin and knit but just drifted away from it. One of my daughters started to knit again and so I jumped back in. It is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with an adult daughter. Now my other daughter has joined the fun and we spend time knitting, drinking coffee and combining efforts to keep the children in the family on the path to a happy life.
I also am a basketmaker.
Have a perfect day!!!

angi0
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
:cheering: what a great site the video's have been very usefull inded to me my name is angela from Lancashire UK and I am 42 years old and have just taken up knitting.....

I am currently knitting a patttern which I have had to resize quite a bit being a larger lady...

The pattern does look right but does anyone know where to get some good bigger size ladies pattern I am having to alter from 42 inches up to 52 inches and may post later to see if I can get help shaping some armholes...

brill site and hope to get more help..

thanks a bunch

angie

sunshine15960
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
hey i have been here befor but i am having a proublem i was bind-offing when i got to the very last one and i dont know what to do can some one help me

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
hey i have been here befor but i am having a proublem i was bind-offing when i got to the very last one and i dont know what to do can some one help me

Take the yarn you've been knitting with and thread it back through the loop. You can then weave the end into the knitting.

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 03:46 PM
:cheering: what a great site the video's have been very usefull inded to me my name is angela from Lancashire UK and I am 42 years old and have just taken up knitting.....

I am currently knitting a patttern which I have had to resize quite a bit being a larger lady...

The pattern does look right but does anyone know where to get some good bigger size ladies pattern I am having to alter from 42 inches up to 52 inches and may post later to see if I can get help shaping some armholes...

brill site and hope to get more help..

thanks a bunch

angie

Welcome Angie.:hug: Our own Shandeh has a site here (http://knittingplus.blogspot.com/) for plus sizes.

Jeremy
07-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm new on the site. I used to spin and knit but just drifted away from it. One of my daughters started to knit again and so I jumped back in. It is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with an adult daughter. Now my other daughter has joined the fun and we spend time knitting, drinking coffee and combining efforts to keep the children in the family on the path to a happy life.
I also am a basketmaker.
Have a perfect day!!!

Welcome:hug: I used to make baskets too but knitting has pretty much taken up my free time for the past couple of years.

angi0
07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Jeremy

thanks so much I will be looking at these in depth as I am struggling to get them bigger and thanks to shandeh for the patterns too brilliant.....

angie

Braden
07-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the boards, everybody!

jessiemccann
07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
It is my first post here.

I am a new-again knitter. I first learned how to knit the basic stuff when I was in middle school and had not touched the needles since then. 30 years later, I was trying to teach my 8-years-old daughter how to knit this spring, and I have not stopped knitting.

I found this site when I was trying to learn the SSK stitch, and have been stopping by almost daily. What a great site! Thanks!

Jessie

mrsmiz
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I joined/ registered a while ago- to ask a question. I never did introduce myslef. My name is heather. i am from NW indiana. I have 4 children and I love to knit- at this time in my life, it seems to be the one thing i am really good at- or at least decetn-You know , you can consider yourself good at something if you accomplish the goal you set out to finish-and are pleased with it. Well, i have accomplished much in knitting and I am usually pleased with what I finish, which isnt' that much right now. I have a few things on the stix...a rogue sweater, a sock (with guidance from "sensational knitted socks" by charlene schurch) , and the cozy wrap from knitty.com . for some reason, i am working mostly on the rogue sweater right now. i would some day love to be able to teach others to enjoy the craft as much as I do. i am also an accomplished crocheter; i prefer to knit.

well, i have rambled enough. thanks to all who read this...and to al who answer questions...there is such a huge community here! I have already made one new friend...which is kind of cool !

h :)

Donnalsny
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Hello,
I am Donna and a first time poster to this forum. I already have a question. I just started a new project and I have to do a right twist and left twist stitch and am not too sure how to do them. Any advice??

sewfun56
07-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi! I am new to this...I don't even know how to post a question? :muah:
Can someone help me out?:lol:

I am a beginner knitter....

I have knots in some cotton yarn that I just bought....the knots are tying 2 strands together....do I take off/cut off the knots or leave them?

Help...I would like to finish up this tank top!!!

sewfun56
07-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for your site! I hope to become more proficient in my knitting!

Braden
07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow! So many new members since earlier this afternoon! Welcome to the boards everybody!

Dizbub
07-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi my name is Dizbub and i am a "new" knitter. I have past experience knitting the never ending scarf. My grandmother taught me to knit when i was six and had the chicken pox. When i was pregnant with my son i knitted a sweater, bonnet, mittens, and booties. I am having a hard time getting back into knitting because 12 years later i picked a doozy of a pattern. I tried a knitting class but the instructor was unable to help me. I am going to attempt to open a new thread with my question. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Diz

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi my name is Dizbub and i am a "new" knitter. I have past experience knitting the never ending scarf. My grandmother taught me to knit when i was six and had the chicken pox. When i was pregnant with my son i knitted a sweater, bonnet, mittens, and booties. I am having a hard time getting back into knitting because 12 years later i picked a doozy of a pattern. I tried a knitting class but the instructor was unable to help me. I am going to attempt to open a new thread with my question. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Diz
Welcome Diz. We have a Pattern Central forum here for just those kinds of questions. You'll be surprised how fast your questions are answered.

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:hug:

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi! I am new to this...I don't even know how to post a question? :muah:
Can someone help me out?:lol:

I am a beginner knitter....

I have knots in some cotton yarn that I just bought....the knots are tying 2 strands together....do I take off/cut off the knots or leave them?

Help...I would like to finish up this tank top!!!
I would cut the knot out and rejoin the yarn. Welcome to the Forum.:hug:

Bug
07-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Hi

I'm Bug! I've just started knitting, i'm 23 years old with a long history of being a cross stitcher, but I wanted to branch out a bit and be able to make things I could put to more use.

Knitting a scarf just now, nearly finished. Would love to knit a pair of socks but I had no idea you had to use 4 needles to do it. I never knew you could do knitting with more than 2 needles! Lol.

Guess I've got a lot to learn. Would love to make some real friends here as there's not many people my age where I am who are into knitting!

*waves*

Bug x

sealy
07-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi I'm Sinddy from Sydney Australia. I started knitting a couple of weeks ago (making a square blanket patch for charity) and I haven't stopped since. I don't think I have the best technique and watching your videos has been really helpful. Thank you.

karlenemk
07-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Amy, thank you for developing this wonderful site. I happened upon your site when looking up the kitchner stitch on Google! The learning videos have helped me so much. Even the simple things like increasing and decreasing have improved.

I have been knitting for what seems like forever AND there is so much I don't know. Now I'm learning the continental versions They are much easier, but I find the tension is somewhat tighter for me.

Making the finished product look most professional is my new goal.

:muah:

Loz
07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi I'm Lauren from Mackay QLD Australia, I am so glad that there are others out there like me who are taking up knitting again orfor the first time. :pray::cheering:

My Nanna taught me when i was about 10years old and i knitted blocks for a blanket for her then and one scaf and have not knitted since.

I just took up knitting again now. I love to do all sorts of other crafts including sewing/dressmaking, quilting (beginner), folk art, decopage etc, I will try anything once. I have found that knitting has been so relaxing for me and a great stress relief. My work mates think i am a nerd for knitting but I love it!!
I have started with a couple of simple wraps, and am now knitting a bolero. Here is link to pattern if anyone is interested, I think it is really cute.

http://yarnforwardmagazine.co.uk/cloudbolero.htm

The pattern has been a little bit of challenge to me, I have managed to work it out so far by using this great!!! Wonderfull!! site.
Thanks Loz

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

OryxRun
07-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Good day all fellow knitters,
I have been a lurker here for quite some time. I find it quite a useful site and thank you for your help every time I'm stumped.
I have been knitting for several lifetimes. Right now my knitting is helping me through a very difficult time. I have a pair of socks on the needles using Janet Rhenfeld's method for toe up socks and adapting this to magic loop. I am using my new addi lace needles and I am enjoying them very much. OTN I also have a cardigan for my granddaughter and a cardigan for myself.
I wish you all well,
Mary

ede
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I am not sure if this is what it is called but whatI am wanting to learn how to knit is....... when you have a pattern on the front and you also knit the same pattern on the back in a different colour. I used to have a knitting machine that dd this but now I am hand knitting and I know this can be done but do not have a clue on how to do it. any help would be much appreciated Ede

Waenara
07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I am not sure if this is what it is called but whatI am wanting to learn how to knit is....... when you have a pattern on the front and you also knit the same pattern on the back in a different colour. I used to have a knitting machine that dd this but now I am hand knitting and I know this can be done but do not have a clue on how to do it. any help would be much appreciated EdeAmy has a video on double knitting here (scroll down to the third from the bottom video): http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ which shows how to do a simple charted pattern.

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome. :hug:

zephyra
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Hello and thank you for the wonderful site. I'm a fairly new knitter and I'm sure I will be frequenting this site for a very long time.
~June

Jeremy
07-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Welcome Zephyra.:hug:

Prazzie
07-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Hello knitters!

I was a terrible student in needlework class at school. I preferred gossiping with my best friend or writing notes, instead of learning to sew, knit or embroider.

Last year I accompanied my mother to a sewing class and discovered that I actually had a real talent for sewing and so I started making clothes because I wanted to and not because it was a subject I was forced to take at school.

Now sewing and knitting seem to go hand in hand - I often find knitting patterns in my sewing pattern magazines and of course there is a whole section at my local fabric store devoted to knitting supplies that I have not yet raided.

Today I spotted a knitted floor cushion in a magazine that I really liked and that finally convinced me to start knitting. I have some free time now and I've found this helpful site so here I am. Oh, I should also add that it's winter here and I'm on the lookout for cozy and warm anything. That was probably a factor too :wink:

The cushion that caught my fancy:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/Prazzie/Knitted-Floor-cushion.jpg

craftygirl
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone, I am new here and I am a pretty new knitter. I have really been trying to learn to knit socks on 2 circular needles. I am going to take a class soonto learn how to knit socks and I am really excited to learn. I love circular needles and I try to do most everything I can with them. Any sock knitters out there? Any help would be appreciated!!! Crafygirl

verodek
07-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Hello,

My name is Véronique and I'm a newbie to knitting, I'm looking for help.

I live in Belgium and I speak french.

With this forum, I hope to improve my knitting level (and my english too :lol:)

cinnamon_girl
07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi there!
I've been enjoying this great site for a couple of months and today seemed like to right time to say hello and introduce myself. Maybe because I bought some TOFUsies sock yarn today and am getting ready to attempt my first pair of socks, in part due to all your inspiring posts and pictures! I'm excited!
I first learned to knit 20-something years ago when my children were toddlers. I made mostly simple things like baby blankets, hats, mittens, scarfs and little sweaters. Over the years as they grew and life got busier with work and school (them and eventually me too, I was a single mom), the needles got put away.
Now, they're grown and I'm jumping back in. And really amazed by the resurgence knitting has made spurred by the web. I love reading knitting blogs and looking at pictures of everyone's FOs. I recently finished the 'Branching Out' scarf for my first simple lace project and would like to continue to work on lace. But first .... those socks!

~Susan~

terecis516
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Well since I'm a mother of 3 and like to learn new things I figured I learn how to knit. I have made hats, scarfs, afghans for my kids. and now I'm learning how to make socks. Thanks for the site it's been helpfull with abreviations. :muah:

stitchinglady
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Hello all. This is Stitching Lady. I am very new to the site and knitting also. I love working with my hands, creating and making gifts for others. One of my latest passions is embroider on greeting cards. I have given them as gifts and everyone loves them. They are unusual and very pretty (if I do say so myself:lol:) . I also crochet and have done so for many years. About 10 months ago, I decided to teach myself to knit. I got yarn, needles and a primer to get me started. Then I came across this site and absolutely love the videos. They have taught me so much and being able to see the stitching is wonderful. I am currently trying to make my first pair of socks. I am struggling with dpns, but am getting better each time.

Jeremy
07-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Welcome everyone. :hug: Lots of sock knitters and sock designers here !

losnana
07-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi everyone, I am new here and I am a pretty new knitter. I have really been trying to learn to knit socks on 2 circular needles. I am going to take a class soonto learn how to knit socks and I am really excited to learn. I love circular needles and I try to do most everything I can with them. Any sock knitters out there? Any help would be appreciated!!! Crafygirl

Lots of sock knitters here. Try Silver's Sock Tutorial.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

Welcome all.

Mel
07-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi Everyone! :) I am new to this site, and very new to knitting. I am just learning the basics, i have a ways to go, but i am determined to master it....if i don't go nuts in the process :)

mintdee
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Welcome all! This is a great group.

:hug:

ambyznanee
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I've been using this site for over a year and never knewn about this section! xxx WOW!

Jeremy
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
I've been using this site for over a year and never knewn about this section! xxx WOW!

I'm glad you discovered us.:cheering:

jackmanknitwit
07-18-2007, 04:50 PM
What a treat to find this site...I'm an older knitter, but have only done simple projects in the past. I'm working on a shopping bag using a varigated cotton in olive, rust, cream, and purple, and finishing up dishcloths, and starting a buttercup colored honeycomb afghan...all I think about is knitting this summer....I'm enjoying the summer off...I'm a teacher and will be back in teacher mode in August....

Jeremy
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Welcome :hug: Lots of other teachers here too.

Cia
07-19-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi everybody, since I'm new here I just thought I'd introduce myself. I haven't knitted for long and am pretty much selftaught which has the only disadvantage that if I'd try to knit in my native language (Swedish) I'd need to translate the instructions to english first.
Just wanted to say what a wonderful site this is, it is really helpful, especially for us who don't have 3 generations of knitters to turn to for help.
Now I'll return to my holiday treat, a book with knitting patterns. Only problem is that it's in spanish, but that'll work itself out, after all, if there's a will there's a way.
Thanks again for such a great site...

Cesia
07-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi, My name is Cesia and I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time. I find it absolutely fantastic. I'm a continental knitter living in Australia where everyone I know knits British way. I'm a relatively experienced knitter , but found Amy's videos very helpful for learning projects like socks , using Kitchener stitch etc.

I'm busy knitting at the moment as my daughter who lives in Illinois US is about to have a baby .

I'm looking forward to having a great time on this forum and learning new things
Cesia

sandclove
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
This site is so helpful. I love being able to see how things are done as I am still learning quite a bit of knitting. Thank you to everyone who helps w/ this site and for others who post answers from their experience. Looking forward to chatting w/ you soon.

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi everybody, since I'm new here I just thought I'd introduce myself. I haven't knitted for long and am pretty much selftaught which has the only disadvantage that if I'd try to knit in my native language (Swedish) I'd need to translate the instructions to english first.
Just wanted to say what a wonderful site this is, it is really helpful, especially for us who don't have 3 generations of knitters to turn to for help.
Now I'll return to my holiday treat, a book with knitting patterns. Only problem is that it's in spanish, but that'll work itself out, after all, if there's a will there's a way.
Thanks again for such a great site...
Welcome to the site!. There is another Swede here named Anna (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=38419) who gives us Swedish lessons.

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi, My name is Cesia and I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time. I find it absolutely fantastic. I'm a continental knitter living in Australia where everyone I know knits British way. I'm a relatively experienced knitter , but found Amy's videos very helpful for learning projects like socks , using Kitchener stitch etc.

I'm busy knitting at the moment as my daughter who lives in Illinois US is about to have a baby .

I'm looking forward to having a great time on this forum and learning new things
Cesia

Welcome.:hug: Lots of Aussies here!

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
This site is so helpful. I love being able to see how things are done as I am still learning quite a bit of knitting. Thank you to everyone who helps w/ this site and for others who post answers from their experience. Looking forward to chatting w/ you soon.
Welcome. :hug:

dcarmichael
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
starting my first afgan and i'm having a problem with the patern it says row 1-12 knit across and row 13 (right side) knit across. i feel really stupid but i dont understand. i can't tell the difference between the right side and the wrong side and once i figure that out how do i knit on the the right side or the wrong side
:shrug: help me please

grammie02
07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I just found this forum. I have been knitting and crocketing since I was 1967 when I was 13. I love to do both I became a grammie for the first time last July 11 to a gs. In Nov he will be a big brother to a sister. I am having so much making things for him. I can't wait till my gd is born so I can make things for her also. I am so excited that I found this forum.

Grammie02

Roojaz
07-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm new to this site so I just wanted to say hello to everyone! I've been knitting for about a year now. (with a six month break in between) One night I went to sleep dreaming about the project I had set down months earlier..and TADA..I'm ADDICTED!! My Mother and her business partner are going to be opening a knitting shop soon and I can't wait! This is a great website! Looking fwd to digging around:)

Roojaz

Jeremy
07-19-2007, 07:43 PM
starting my first afgan and i'm having a problem with the patern it says row 1-12 knit across and row 13 (right side) knit across. i feel really stupid but i dont understand. i can't tell the difference between the right side and the wrong side and once i figure that out how do i knit on the the right side or the wrong side
:shrug: help me please

The right side is the side everyone will see when the pattern is finished. For instance the right side on a sweater would be the outside of the sweater. So on your pattern it sounds like the odd rows will be right side rows and the even rows the wrong side. When the pattern says to knit just knit. There is no difference between knitting on the right side and the wrong side. Good luck.

golfer
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Hello to everyone! Just signed up today and glad to be here!
Pretty much taught myself to knit with the help of library books, finding videos on my computer and fumbling around knit sites.
So I am a newbie - can do scarves, "world famous" dishcloths, caps,
and awkward socks (but warm and do go on the foot)! Plus a triangle
shawl. I do like knitting!

sugarfunpouch
07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi everyone! :waving:I'm so glad to be apart of this! If you go on neopets.com, you will also find my username there too!

Westiemom
07-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi! I've been lurking on this site for some time now and I've sure gotten a lot of help! I have know how to knit since I was a wee one, but I just recently became an addict. :muah:

Jeremy
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Welcome to our new members!:hug:

niaoulibloodelf
07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
The video section has been of monumental help to be in my knitting escapades. I have a question right off the bat. Bought a great book, "Domiknitrix". I am atttempting to make a bead with yarn and wanted to know if there is an easier way to go about it other than the lift increase, which I cannot seem to perform. What about a bead video!!!?? Just kidding. Thank you!!!! :ick:

Jeremy
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do with the bead. One way to attach a bead is to have prestrung on the yarn and then knit it on. A second way is to use a crochet hook to do it by taking the stitch off the left needle, holding it with the hook, sliding the bead off the crochet hook on to the stitch and putting the stitch back on the left needle to be knit.

Nikita P
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Julie.

I would have responded sooner, only I had lost this first post. Need to learn how to post and find it later.
Thanks,
Nikita

niaoulibloodelf
07-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the response. Tha actual bead is made of yarn. The design is called string of purls and involves i-cord and right/left increase. You wear it as a necklace or make one large bead, i-cord, than another large bead like a lariat. Does that make sense? Thanks!

vegasdeb
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi, my name is Debby and I'm a knitting addict. I started knitting when I was a kid. At first I was a recreational knitter; a scarf here, a sweater there. I could finish a project and then not even pick up my needles or look for a new pattern for months or even years. Knitting was no big deal.

Then, about a year ago, I was vacationing with my family at Lake Tahoe. My mom was knitting scarves for her friends. I remembered how much I enjoyed knitting so I went to the local yarn shop and got some yarn and needles so I could knit along with Mom.

Since then I've become a total "Yarn Ho" (I mean that in a good way).:lol:

I've progressed from scarves to sweaters to socks and beyond. Don't even ask me about my stash. :rollseyes:

I'd say that I'm mostly a technical knitter. I love learning about how different stitches and techniques affect the finished product. My knitting library reflects this.

I guess that's why I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this site. :heart:

Well, that's enough about me for now.

losnana
07-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I bet if you post your questiopn in the "HOW tO..." section of this forum you'll get plenty of replies.

knitting mom
07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Hello All I am new here as of today I very much apreciate the opportunity to read what other people have wrote. I am learning so much.I really did not think there were so many things to learn as I hope I will be able to.Thank you!!! Deb

txflowerlady
07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I am new to knitting. When I ever learn how to knit, my goal is to make dishcloths for small Christmas gifts. This is a great website! I especially like the instructions for left handed quilting. I ordered the KnittingHelp.com CD-Rom. Can't wait to get it.

AllinMyThread
07-20-2007, 11:43 PM
I just bought an awesome set of knitting and crochet stuff on ebay from " yarna " and I'm so excited to start knitting. I have attempted before, but never really got the hang of it. I am usually a crocheter and I LOVE it but there are some things you just can't do with crochet.

I stumbled on your site looking for how to use the Boye stitch gauge checker (never found it!) and am excited to be here. I look forward to learning more about knitting and increasing my skills.

I am a wife and mom of two. David is 4 and has juvenile bipolar disorder as well as PDD (Asperger's) and my daughter Abby is 15 months. I don't have a lot of time on my hands because of dealing with my son and managing his behaviors, but I try to fill all my time with knitting and crochet as it helps me to relax.

Well, I suppose that is all. Thanks!

Joanna P.
http://www.saypease.com - My husbands photography and graphic design. He is SUPER talented and amazing!!
http://www.helplittledavid.com - A site my husband and I set up for our sun to get support and assistance with his care. We hope to start a foundation for families like ours.

deirdre718
07-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Hello. I am new to knitting. I make silver jewlery as a hobby, and do stone setting, hollow forms, some small scale forging. my husband is a musician, so i took up knitting as an activity for when he practices. It is a little disruptive for me to be hammering on my anvils while he is playing his quieter instruments....so, by knitting i can keep him company and still be doing something constructive while he plays or sings.

i started about a year and a half ago, and have made a number of scarves, 5 sweaters so far, with another 2 in the works. I also started crocheting (I get a little carried away sometimes). After a brief tutorial from my friend susan, i have been teaching myself. now i've reached the limits of my knowledge, and would welcome some help.

If anyone can explain the following, i've be very grateful. I have gone looking through my reference books, and i am still mystified. I am working on a pattern by Filati. I've reached the top of the sweater, and the instructions read as follows:

"dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible inc."

"visible inc: right edge: edge st, K1, K tog 3 resp. 2. Left edge: 1 double resp. 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog resp. K1, psso), K1, edge st."

Thank you, and I hope someone out there can put me out of my misery!!!! I just hate being frustrated. Deirdre

LesHug
07-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Well a couple of months ago I decided to try to knit. Since I dont really have a lot of family to teach me, I looked to the next best thing. The internet. I found this site and let Amy teach me. I have been watching vidieos and messing up projects for a little while now. Thought I'd join the fourm and see what im doing wrong and how I can fix it. :??

mowygirl
07-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi! My name is Maureen. I have been loom knitting for close to 3 years. I started off making hats and progressed to making other things such as slippers, prayer shawls and afghans. I learned as much as I could in terms of different stitch patterns. My sister and a co-worker who needle knit never understood why I wouldn't try to knit "the normal way" on needles. I have finally found the self confidence to needle knit and feel comfortable now doing so. I heard about this website from a podcast. I really enjoy the videos. I hope to continue learning as much as I can. Thanks.:lol:

kelliedn
07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi My name is kellie
I am fairly new to knitting but an old hat at crochet. I hope I can both get and give some great help here!

Stormimay
07-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I am a stay-at-home-homeschooling mom of six kids and one cat. Obviously I don't have a lot of time to knit, but I've always wanted to and now that my oldest daughter wants to learn I'm finally giving it a go. Thanks to the videos here I can finally cast on and "knit"....I'm still very much practicing the "purling" and binding off. As soon as I figure those out I will be trying to teach my daughter, with help from this site.
Nice to meet y'all!

Stormimay

Jeremy
07-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the response. Tha actual bead is made of yarn. The design is called string of purls and involves i-cord and right/left increase. You wear it as a necklace or make one large bead, i-cord, than another large bead like a lariat. Does that make sense? Thanks!

Hi. You're very welcome. I copied our posts and put them in the How to section under the title "Beading question". I am sure that someone has experience with this type of necklace.:hug:

Jeremy
07-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Hello. I am new to knitting. I make silver jewlery as a hobby, and do stone setting, hollow forms, some small scale forging. my husband is a musician, so i took up knitting as an activity for when he practices. It is a little disruptive for me to be hammering on my anvils while he is playing his quieter instruments....so, by knitting i can keep him company and still be doing something constructive while he plays or sings.

i started about a year and a half ago, and have made a number of scarves, 5 sweaters so far, with another 2 in the works. I also started crocheting (I get a little carried away sometimes). After a brief tutorial from my friend susan, i have been teaching myself. now i've reached the limits of my knowledge, and would welcome some help.

If anyone can explain the following, i've be very grateful. I have gone looking through my reference books, and i am still mystified. I am working on a pattern by Filati. I've reached the top of the sweater, and the instructions read as follows:

"dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible inc."

"visible inc: right edge: edge st, K1, K tog 3 resp. 2. Left edge: 1 double resp. 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog resp. K1, psso), K1, edge st."

Thank you, and I hope someone out there can put me out of my misery!!!! I just hate being frustrated. Deirdre

Deirdre. Welcome to the Forum:hug: I copied your post to the pattern help section under the title "Deirdre needs some pattern help" Good luck Check there soon. I bet somebody has answered by the time you get there.:thumbsup:

Jeremy
07-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Welcome to all of our new members:hug:

Soulofarose
07-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Hello everyone! I live in The Colony,Texas, the city by the lake. I moved her a year ago. I am 63 and a retired R.N. of 35 years. Taught myself to knit so I still run into problems. The pattern that is shown on this site called Big Net -oversize-scarf-stole with size 19 needles. I love it, but I only have sz. 17 needles at the present so I added 6 stitches and it still looks very narrow. The pattern doesn't say the width. I am using Rowan Glimmer - black and gold. it's a kind of ribbon yarn. Can someone lead me down the right path. Hope to get know a lot of you. Have a great week-end. It's hot and humid where I live.

georgioarmani
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Hello all! i'm brand new to the forum. My name is georgie. I have been knitting for a little while, but really haven't been able to finish anything haha, i have been trying to teach myself everything so yeah, its been kinda hard. anyways i look forward to talking to new people that share my passion for knitting. being 23 y/o man where i live means you don't know very many knitters haha. any other closet knitters out there? haha

nanahow
07-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi I am new i do loom knitting , since december and also some needle knitting, I am retiired and i
Sue