PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

thaisa47
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Hello!

I am new to the forum - I am a SAHM to my 1 year old DS. We currently live in Oregon, but are getting ready to move to Paris, France. We are spending the summer in Washington DC (for DH's work, and getting our visas).

I recently started knitting this past winter - my grandmother heard I wanted to learn and me some skeins, a bunch of her old needles, and a photocopy of the book she learned to knit by as a young girl. I believe it was from a series, and is called "K is for Knitting".

I recently taught myself how to do cables, and have been slowly making the switch from knitting English to Continental.

1knitscarf
07-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi, I'm Monica Silva. I enjoy knitting long thin scarves for hours in front of the TV. I knit most of the scarves with US size 11 needles and simple patterns like garter stitch, stockinette, drop stitch and knitting on the bias. It's fun as long as I don't need to concentrate and track rows.

I get my scarf ideas from my 2 hobbies:

songs sung by Sinatra, Minnelli, Judy Garland
soccer matches of Chelsea, USA, Argentina, Portugal
ATP tennis matches and players

I look forward to sharing knitting tips and projects with you.

Jeremy
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Hello everyone! I live in The Colony,Texas, the city by the lake. I moved her a year ago. I am 63 and a retired R.N. of 35 years. Taught myself to knit so I still run into problems. The pattern that is shown on this site called Big Net -oversize-scarf-stole with size 19 needles. I love it, but I only have sz. 17 needles at the present so I added 6 stitches and it still looks very narrow. The pattern doesn't say the width. I am using Rowan Glimmer - black and gold. it's a kind of ribbon yarn. Can someone lead me down the right path. Hope to get know a lot of you. Have a great week-end. It's hot and humid where I live.
Hi. Welcome to the Forum:hug: I copied your post to the Pattern Central forum under the title "Sharon Needs scarf help." The best to luck with your project.

Jeremy
07-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Welcome to all the Newcomers.:hug:

cassiepaige
07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Hello!

My name is Cassie, I am a 17 year old girl. I have been wanting to learn how to knit for a year or so. I almost took classes over the winter, but they were super expensive and 20 minutes from my house.

On Thursday I found out a coworker of mine knits (I work at a daycare) and I told her I was interested in learning. So I picked up my supplies, and today I taught myself how to cast on but I am having some trouble after that. I don't know how much help I can get from my coworker (she learned from a lefty, and then kind of combined a few different styles to get her own style) but hopefully I can learn something!

This website has been the most helpful by far!

Rosemary
07-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Hello. My name is Rosemary. Just joined this board today after stumbling on it by accident. Can't wait to get into the knitty gritty of it. (Pun intended.)

I am a soon-to-be 68-year-old grandmother. I retired from an accounting position in Maryland and moved in with my daughter in San Antonio. The idea was to take care of my 9-year-old granddaughter. However, more of my time and energy seems to be spent on the 2-year-old yellow Lab. She is a handfull.

Anyway, about knitting. I taught myself years and years ago and was terrible at it. I recently saw Alan Dart's gnomes and just had to start up again. Made one and he turned out OK. I'm so proud.

I even bought a knitting machine to handle the grunt work. It doesn't do as much as I thought it would, but it will help. The hands are getting old and cramp up on me from time to time.

It's good to be here.

photojenic
07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
(This may be the second time I've intro'd myself. I can't remember if I've posted before. lol...)

My name is Jen, and I live in the DFW area. I've been a crocheter for a very long time, but I've always loved the look of knitting. I've tried learning it a couple of times, but it never "took."

About two years ago I discovered the Yarn Harlot and fell in love. :inlove: The more I read her books and blog, the more I wanted to knit. I'm especially in love with the idea of hand knitted socks. They sound like heaven!

I just recently finished my first "officially" knitted item. A decidedly wonky looking dishcloth. It was done mostly in garter stitch (as I was learning how to do the knit stitch), has a few rows of actual stockinette stitch after I learned how to purl, and back to garter stitch cuz it was easier.

I'm definitely a Continental knitter because I'm so used to holding the yarn in my left hand while crocheting. So far I've only used straight needles, but I'm interested in trying out circulars. I figured I'd practice making a few more dishcloths before attempting socks. Those dpns scare me. lol....

Nice to meet everyone!

Sri Radha
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Hello! I am living in New Jersey but as of August 19th I will be living in Belmont, Vermont! I do not knit. I WANT TO LEARN! I am hoping I can find someone to teach me. I am here to network.

Besides wanting to learn to knit, I am a dental hygienist, married, and I have 2 dogs.

AKNIT
07-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Amy,

I just registered and can't figure out how to get on the introduce yourself thread and say HI!! YOur site looks great and as a new knitter it could really help if I knew how to use the site. I am on dial-up so things go slow. Can you direct me? Thank you!!

losnana
07-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Hello!

My name is Cassie, I am a 17 year old girl. I have been wanting to learn how to knit for a year or so. I almost took classes over the winter, but they were super expensive and 20 minutes from my house.

On Thursday I found out a coworker of mine knits (I work at a daycare) and I told her I was interested in learning. So I picked up my supplies, and today I taught myself how to cast on but I am having some trouble after that. I don't know how much help I can get from my coworker (she learned from a lefty, and then kind of combined a few different styles to get her own style) but hopefully I can learn something!

This website has been the most helpful by far!

Have you checked ot the videos on this site? They're great.

Jeremy
07-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum. :hug:

Belladonna
07-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Hiya! I've been knitting about a year and have been using this site extensively to help me figure out what's what. I love the videos! They're a real life saver! Thanks for taking the time to build this place!

cassiepaige
07-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I have tried the video. I just can't seem to get any farther than casting on. I'm probably just making a silly mistake. The videos were really helpful though to teach me how to hold the needles, the yarn, and how to cast on.

paulaf
07-23-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi! I'm glad to find a helpfull community. I'm just starting to knit and your tips are great. The videos are an amazing way of motivation to learn, because I can't always understand the explanation of a pattern just reading. Keep the good work! And thanks for been there.
Paula, Portugal

speattle
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, I am a knitter from the Eastside 'burbs in the Seattle area. I love to work on small items such as baby things, socks, dishrags etc because I love instant gratification! In the past few years we have been blessed with the arrival of several nieces, and great nieces and nephews, so I have been busy knitting small things. I love it!

I have been knitting since I was 6. My mother's mom taught me and after she passed when I was 7, my dad's mom kept me going. I am im my 50's now, so I'm a long timer. I can also crochet, sew, quilt, scrapbook, and hand-smock. Another passion is photography.

I am married and we have 3 kids and one child-in-law. Next year we add to the family with another one of the kids getting married. I still have one teen in HS.

Guess that sums it up for now. I'll check out the other boards to see what is up today.

Jeremy
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I have tried the video. I just can't seem to get any farther than casting on. I'm probably just making a silly mistake. The videos were really helpful though to teach me how to hold the needles, the yarn, and how to cast on.

The next best thing I can think of is a local Knitting Guild or Stitch n bitch group. Here is the address of a couple of groups in West Virginia.

St Francis De Sales Prayer Shawl Minsitry
107 Edgell Street
Beckley, WV 25801
+1 (304) 252-4423
email: saffron@citynet.net (saffron@citynet.net)
We knit and crochet for charity -- prayer shawls, chemo caps, preemie hats/ Meeting are the last Thursday of every month downstairs in the church hall.
Appalachian Knitter's Guild
5208 Glow Drive
Cross Lanes, WV 25313
+1 (304) 776-2832
email: tuba@newwave.net (tuba@newwave.net)
The Appalachian Knitter's Guild meets the First Thursday of the month.
Dues are $12/year for the local, in addition to TKGA membership.
Members enjoy a local newsletter and various activities throughout the year.

Jeremy
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Welcome to everyone who is new or returning :hug:

pompom
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
In March, 2007 I had to undergo a bunionectomy. I thought to myself, what am I going to do while I'm recuperating? I'm a very busy woman. I work a full-time and part-time job and have a family. I knew that sitting around after surgery would drive me nuts. It was then that I thought of knitting and found your web site. Your videos are wonderful and in no time I was knitting dishcloths. I am now hooked on knitting. I took some classes and joined a local knitting group. I still look for only easy and beginning patterns but some day would like to knit like the pros in my knitting group. Your web site has helped me a lot. Thanks for taking the time to develop it.

DianeD
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
I just discovered this forum!! I've been looking for an active forum on knitting and I can't believe I found one....I am so happy!!
The website is fantastic and a wonderful way to learn with videos. What a great idea!!

I've been knitting and crocheting for a little over 30 years now and find that there's always something new to learn. I hope to be able to join in the conversations and perhaps even add something useful here and there.

Thank you for a wonderful connection!!

DianeD

pwmadison
07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Hello,
Thank you! I'm new to knitting, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I have several small projects going on right now. I took a class this past June and learned the basics including some shaping. My instructor recommended this site for a reference point. So here I am!
Peggy

Jeremy
07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Don't be afraid to browse the forums and to post.:hug:

shuffl
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi All: So happy to have found this site. The videos are great! I did knit quite a bit yrs. ago and am just picking it up again. Ewww, I've forgotten so much. Would somone please ans. this question simple as it: When they say "finish with ws" does that mean you work it or just stop there with "ws" facing you and then just bind off? Thanks!!

Rollamo
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Hello!. I've been a knitter for years, but I'm new here, and I look forward to joining the group. After a period of several years during which I did no knitting, I recently started again, with hats. I like this because each project can be finished so quickly. Almost before I knew it, I had 45, ranging in size from preemie to large adult, men's and women's. That batch went to the Salvation Army, and I jusr sent 40 adult sze men's and women's. Forced to give up our usual wandering lifestyle because my husband is no longer well, knitting for charity is really a Godsend for me. The more I knit now, the more I realize how much I still have to learn, and I cam hardly wait to begin learning from Y'all.

spinner
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I usually don't do this. I've been knitting about 8 years. I live in San Diego County, California and am always looking for knitting other than wools (too hot and itchey). I've learned loads and am proud of the stuff I can now produce. The site you have with the videos is the most superb thing on the net for knitters. It's enabeled me to do Christmas stockings and to learn how to pick up stitches and has refreshed my memory of things I don't do often. You're tops. Anyone with good ideas on yarns that involve cotton that don't "grow" would be most helpful. I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Am takaing on the "windmill" of the San Diego fair and how the knitting is handeled. Will let you all know if there are any changes next year. It's all in the interest of sanity. Thanks.
Louise Anderson
San Maracos, CA

kstx1978
07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I joined sometime ago and then just haven't been back. I have books and mags to sell and although I have been knitting for years I find there are always new ways to do things.

I live in an area where the only craft supplies are at WalMart. A small one at that. No LYS.

I am introducing myself and hope to check the videos. I watch Knitty Gritty on DIY network and have learned new techniques from that.

Geri Lindeman
Madisonville TX

rachejm
07-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey, I just signed up. I have been learning to knit from this site for about 9 months now and then I discovered this forum and thought I'd sign up. Just thought I'd say hi. :waving:

Jeremy
07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi All: So happy to have found this site. The videos are great! I did knit quite a bit yrs. ago and am just picking it up again. Ewww, I've forgotten so much. Would somone please ans. this question simple as it: When they say "finish with ws" does that mean you work it or just stop there with "ws" facing you and then just bind off? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. The last side you knit is the wrong side.

Jeremy
07-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Hello!. I've been a knitter for years, but I'm new here, and I look forward to joining the group. After a period of several years during which I did no knitting, I recently started again, with hats. I like this because each project can be finished so quickly. Almost before I knew it, I had 45, ranging in size from preemie to large adult, men's and women's. That batch went to the Salvation Army, and I jusr sent 40 adult sze men's and women's. Forced to give up our usual wandering lifestyle because my husband is no longer well, knitting for charity is really a Godsend for me. The more I knit now, the more I realize how much I still have to learn, and I cam hardly wait to begin learning from Y'all.

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you take a look at our charity knitting forum. You can even start your own thread!

Jeremy
07-24-2007, 09:01 AM
I usually don't do this. I've been knitting about 8 years. I live in San Diego County, California and am always looking for knitting other than wools (too hot and itchey). I've learned loads and am proud of the stuff I can now produce. The site you have with the videos is the most superb thing on the net for knitters. It's enabeled me to do Christmas stockings and to learn how to pick up stitches and has refreshed my memory of things I don't do often. You're tops. Anyone with good ideas on yarns that involve cotton that don't "grow" would be most helpful. I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Am takaing on the "windmill" of the San Diego fair and how the knitting is handeled. Will let you all know if there are any changes next year. It's all in the interest of sanity. Thanks.
Louise Anderson
San Maracos, CA

Welcome Louise. I'll copy your post to the general forum under the title "Cotton Yarn ideas?" Have a look soon. I'm sure people will have ideas for you.:hug:

Jeremy
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I joined sometime ago and then just haven't been back. I have books and mags to sell and although I have been knitting for years I find there are always new ways to do things.

I live in an area where the only craft supplies are at WalMart. A small one at that. No LYS.

I am introducing myself and hope to check the videos. I watch Knitty Gritty on DIY network and have learned new techniques from that.

Geri Lindeman
Madisonville TX

Hi Geri. Welcome to the Forum:hug: Have a look in the Buy /Sell ?Swap forum.

Jeremy
07-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Hey, I just signed up. I have been learning to knit from this site for about 9 months now and then I discovered this forum and thought I'd sign up. Just thought I'd say hi. :waving:
Welcome to the Forum.:hug:

MotherTiger
07-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I've joined this list basically because I was interested in the Snail Shell Purse shown in the Basic knitting section. I've tried on several computers and haven't been able to find the pattern instructions. Any help would be appreciated.

Now about me. I've been knitting ever since I can remember. I don't always do things the 'right' way because I never learned all these fancy names for things. I arrived at this site due to a pattern I'm working on they called for the mattess stitch to sew two sides together of the pattern. I had never heard of a 'mattress' stitch so I started checking out the site. WOW! it's a great resource tool.

I've been in the military (Air Force/Air Guard) for over 24 yrs now. I wish I could retire and knit/crochet my way to fame and fortune, but my uncle (Sam) has other plans for me.

Better go. Can't chat too long - but it's really nice to hear from everyone.

Maggie L

karen.tilley@mchsi.com
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Looking for info, 30 minutes later, and now registered to this site I hope to find some help.

I am teaching myself to knit, after learning some crochet, and I have occasional ?'s and no one close to answer. Auntie lives several states away.

Hope I am in the right place. My question:

1. This book says all knitting or all purling is the garter stitch. Why do we need both? PLUS! Mine does NOT look the same. :( My all knitting stitches are close together rows. My all purl stitched rows are quite distanced.

msboni83
07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
my name is melissa. I taught myself to knit a couple years ago from the first Stitch n Bitch book, started a scarf, and then forgot all about it until a couple weeks ago. I finished the scarf, and now am itching to start something else, but I have no money right now for more yarn or some needles other than the size 17s I have. So, I am just reading everything I can about knitting until I can get started on something else.

losnana
07-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Looking for info, 30 minutes later, and now registered to this site I hope to find some help.

I am teaching myself to knit, after learning some crochet, and I have occasional ?'s and no one close to answer. Auntie lives several states away.

1. This book says all knitting or all purling is the garter stitch. Why do we need both? PLUS! Mine does NOT look the same. :( My all knitting stitches are close together rows. My all purl stitched rows are quite distanced.

I'll try to explain. The flip side of a knit row is the same as a purl row. So when you're knitting flat and knit every row, each side has a knit row, followed by a purl row, followed by another knit row, etc. the same is true if you purl every row, though I can't see why in the world anyone would purl instead of knitting to get garter stitch. Anyway, the purl row that you've just finished has a bump or pearl right below the needle, BEFORE you turn the work over; when you have just finished knitting a row there is a V right below the needle. We need knitting and purling because often you mix them in many different ways to get different effects. The best way to see this is in a stitchionary, a book that has pictures and directions for lots of different stitches. It is true that all knitting is made up of knitting and purling. the difference is all in how you mix up the knits and the purls. Hope this made some sense.

napiligal
07-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I've used this site may times to watch video's on how to do some of the stitches. Today I'm feeling very frustrate as I don't know how to fix my mistakes. Just call me Miss Froggie, Ripit, Ripit, Ripit. Thought I'd come here and see if I can learn anything that will help me.
Hope you're all having a great day!:tap::tap::tap:

happy
07-24-2007, 09:57 PM
What a wonderful site!

Looking forward to participating..

Happy

mmsixki
07-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Hello

I have been knitting since I was 7, and I love it! But I have never passed beyond the point of knitting a scarf or blanket.
I found this site and ordered your cd which I find is a must have.
I am very happy to be here. Oh by the way I am from the LA County area.

iknit4fun
07-25-2007, 02:35 AM
so here I go. I have knit for about 35 years but just recently started branching out into things other than baby blankets, scarfs, hats and dishcloths. I am now a sweater and sock knitter as well. Not sure what is next. have a ton of sock yarn to get through first. My favorite at the moment is the magic loop toe up with duet sock yarn. LOVE it. I am working on my Seattle Mariners socks right now. I am a life long Seattle resident, buy most of my yarn in Kent at Renaissance yarns (you love it if you haven't been).

So hello I look forward to getting to know ya all.:X:

laikabear
07-25-2007, 07:03 AM
I decided to learn to knit just this week and got several books from the library. I was having a lot of trouble with the stitches, though. I even have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting" so I guess that doesn't say much for my intelligence. Maybe there is a drooling moron's guide... :drool:

But then I found this site, which helped me figure out the basics. The videos are awesome! Thank you so much Amy. You taught me to knit! I am a lefty and the Continental knitting saved me from trying to learn left-handed.

I'm 30 years old, and I'm an ER veterinarian. I work nights, and some nights are busy, and some are slow. Knitting will be a great way to pass the time between cases on a slow night. Now if I could just figure out how to read a book and knit at the same time...

Maureen

Jeremy
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM

Welcome to the Forum. I think I can answer your question. The knitting stitch and the purl stitch are really one in the same. The back side of every knit stitch is a purl stitch and the back side of every purl stitch is a knit stitch. So if row one is all knitting and you knit row 2 also what you will get looks like alternating rows of knit and purl, the garter stitch. No one I know has that great a fondness for the purl stitch, but you can see from what I'm saying that all knitting and all purling produce the same thing. The thing about knitting and purling is that they often have tensions that are very different. That's why your stitches look different even though they are the same.

ddincolo
07-25-2007, 10:50 AM
HI amy,

I am new here...............can't quite figure out how to post yet.......please advise...........I get the the 'introduce yourself' phase but then where please?

ddincolo
07-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Or maybe this is posting...........I am so none tech.

I am an intermediate knitter..........and an absolutely over the top fiber lover! I met people from this forum at a hotel in Algonquin Illinois where they were attending the midwest fiber and folk art fair in Crystal Lake. If any of you are here please reply. I met you late Saturday evening as you all were knitting in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express at Bunker Hill.
I went to the fair on Sunday.......thank you for the directions and it was a wonderful time!
ddincolo

Sharon53
07-25-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm a new knitter and trying to start a project that is a sweater vest........what a great site.........it's nice to know there are other people out there that can help me with my questions.........Thanks for the site and keep up the great knitting!

kitman
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi,
I am Kitman, from Plano Texas. I am Very happy to find this forum. I am a crazy knitter who knits everyday. I learned knitting like 7 years ago but I stopped for long while then picked it up again 3 years ago. :woot:
I am ready to know more about other knitters and knitting skills from this wonderful forum!

scout52
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi am in San Diego by way of New York

I began knitting when i was 13 then stopped picked up again when i was in law school now i knit like I am a mad woman. Love it. It took me months to knit my best friend a baby blanket when i had taken it up again, now I can knit a sweater in 3 weeks if I have the time.

My first sweater attempt when i took it up again ( i had made sweaters when i was younger) was for my boyfriend, it took me 3 months to make, i burst into tears when it was too small by like just 1 measly inch. after my meltdown. I figured out a way to add on where the zipper was supposed to go. and it looked like it was supposed to be there.

anyway. this site is amazing. and everyone does amazing work. i will be posting my work when i take pics of them. i'm a little nervous though. everyone's work is so great.

Jeremy
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Or maybe this is posting...........I am so none tech.

I am an intermediate knitter..........and an absolutely over the top fiber lover! I met people from this forum at a hotel in Algonquin Illinois where they were attending the midwest fiber and folk art fair in Crystal Lake. If any of you are here please reply. I met you late Saturday evening as you all were knitting in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express at Bunker Hill.
I went to the fair on Sunday.......thank you for the directions and it was a wonderful time!
ddincolo

I know who you met and I'm going to copy your post to the General Knitting Forum so they can come say hello. Just click on Forum and choose General Knitting. I'm going to title the post "Fiber Fest Reunion"

Jeremy
07-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I decided to learn to knit just this week and got several books from the library. I was having a lot of trouble with the stitches, though. I even have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting" so I guess that doesn't say much for my intelligence. Maybe there is a drooling moron's guide... :drool:

But then I found this site, which helped me figure out the basics. The videos are awesome! Thank you so much Amy. You taught me to knit! I am a lefty and the Continental knitting saved me from trying to learn left-handed.

I'm 30 years old, and I'm an ER veterinarian. I work nights, and some nights are busy, and some are slow. Knitting will be a great way to pass the time between cases on a slow night. Now if I could just figure out how to read a book and knit at the same time...

Maureen

Welcome to the Forum. I think you are our first vet! As an ER vet you are already on the top of my list.

Jeremy
07-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi am in San Diego by way of New York

I began knitting when i was 13 then stopped picked up again when i was in law school now i knit like I am a mad woman. Love it. It took me months to knit my best friend a baby blanket when i had taken it up again, now I can knit a sweater in 3 weeks if I have the time.

My first sweater attempt when i took it up again ( i had made sweaters when i was younger) was for my boyfriend, it took me 3 months to make, i burst into tears when it was too small by like just 1 measly inch. after my meltdown. I figured out a way to add on where the zipper was supposed to go. and it looked like it was supposed to be there.

anyway. this site is amazing. and everyone does amazing work. i will be posting my work when i take pics of them. i'm a little nervous though. everyone's work is so great.

Welcome. Knitting is a great stress reliever (most of the time except when you are trying to knit the mystery stole 3 and you want to hang yourself with a lacey noose but we won't talk about that)

Jeremy
07-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Welcome to all of our new members.:happydance:

Mrs.H
07-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi ya'll, it's time to re-introduce myself, I've been away from the forum for several months. I've been knitting most of the time I've been gone, unless my aching arms and hands just wouldn't let me hold my needles.
I have just recently found out that my 8th grandchild(2nd grandson) will be born in Oct.! I'm over the moon with joy, and busy trying to decide what to knit for him first, I have oodles of patterns I've downloaded from various free sources. I guess I'll start with a basic blanket, then I'd like to make a set of "matching" ponchos for him and his older sister, she'll just be 2yrs old by the time he's born. I have 2 super cute patterns from the Lion Brand Yarn website. Since they call for "Jiffy" yarn they should knit up in a short amount of time.
Oh my, I didn't realize how late it is, I've got to get in bed so these fat ankles of mine can go back to a "normal" size. LOL, no worries, this is a battle I fight all summer, static edema, just one of the little nasties that come along with SCI.
Goodnight ya'll.
Linda

Jumbuck
07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi, I'm Helen,I'm 65 and live in SE Qld. I've been knitting since I was 7 and have recently started knitting socks. With winters that go down as far as minus 10 my feet need all the warmth they can get. :) I've been buying my wool online as all I can seem to get here is either 8 ply or acrylic which I hate knitting with. Have found some great on line stores so far.

Are there any other knitters in the Toowoomba area?

Back to the heater and some more knitting.

Helen.

lanluolan
07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Just now opened my emailbox ,found that a letter about knitting."luolan,we miss you"__when I read it ,tears flew down on my face.so long !so long! It called scenes faraway___I joined this conmunity.how I felt greated__I would have friends about knitting!. But so long for lots of things my life changed.I lost a lot.for exzample you all.But I really don't believe you send email to me!And let me joined you again!!______thank you!I can't express my gratetitud!And nowerdays I have been busy for I must achieve a project about buiding designing.but I would come to you soon.(I come from china.and you?which coundtry?my friends?)

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi ya'll, it's time to re-introduce myself, I've been away from the forum for several months. I've been knitting most of the time I've been gone, unless my aching arms and hands just wouldn't let me hold my needles.
I have just recently found out that my 8th grandchild(2nd grandson) will be born in Oct.! I'm over the moon with joy, and busy trying to decide what to knit for him first, I have oodles of patterns I've downloaded from various free sources. I guess I'll start with a basic blanket, then I'd like to make a set of "matching" ponchos for him and his older sister, she'll just be 2yrs old by the time he's born. I have 2 super cute patterns from the Lion Brand Yarn website. Since they call for "Jiffy" yarn they should knit up in a short amount of time.
Oh my, I didn't realize how late it is, I've got to get in bed so these fat ankles of mine can go back to a "normal" size. LOL, no worries, this is a battle I fight all summer, static edema, just one of the little nasties that come along with SCI.
Goodnight ya'll.
Linda

Congratulations on your new grandchild and welcome back.

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi, I'm Helen,I'm 65 and live in SE Qld. I've been knitting since I was 7 and have recently started knitting socks. With winters that go down as far as minus 10 my feet need all the warmth they can get. :) I've been buying my wool online as all I can seem to get here is either 8 ply or acrylic which I hate knitting with. Have found some great on line stores so far.

Are there any other knitters in the Toowoomba area?

Back to the heater and some more knitting.

Helen.
Welcome Helen. There is a forum called Knitters Knear You here. There is a thread there that belongs to the Aussies so maybe you can meet in real life. Stay warm.

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Just now opened my emailbox ,found that a letter about knitting."luolan,we miss you"__when I read it ,tears flew down on my face.so long !so long! It called scenes faraway___I joined this conmunity.how I felt greated__I would have friends about knitting!. But so long for lots of things my life changed.I lost a lot.for exzample you all.But I really don't believe you send email to me!And let me joined you again!!______thank you!I can't express my gratetitud!And nowerdays I have been busy for I must achieve a project about buiding designing.but I would come to you soon.(I come from china.and you?which coundtry?my friends?)
So nice to have you back.:) Come post some more!

sesamestreetknitter
07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
this is my first time at this site. i have been knitting for over 15 years, but i just recently pick it back up. now i am teaching my 6 year old daughter how to crochet.

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

knitting4-2girls
07-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Hello all, thought I would introduce myself. I learned to knit in November of 2006 and have made a few simple things since then (scarves and such). I found this site when I was looking to make something a little more difficult. Thanks for the great video demos. That has really increased my confidence and I am ready for something a little more challenging. I'm no longer afraid of increases and decreases!! Thanks again. Hope to see ya'll around the forum.

Sharly
07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Hello all, thought I would introduce myself. I learned to knit in November of 2006 and have made a few simple things since then (scarves and such). I found this site when I was looking to make something a little more difficult. Thanks for the great video demos. That has really increased my confidence and I am ready for something a little more challenging. I'm no longer afraid of increases and decreases!! Thanks again. Hope to see ya'll around the forum.

Hi! Welcome to the greatest knitting place on earth! :balloons:
Don't be shy! Jump into a conversation

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the Forum

Jumbuck
07-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Welcome Helen. There is a forum called Knitters Knear You here. There is a thread there that belongs to the Aussies so maybe you can meet in real life. Stay warm.
Thanks Jeremy. I've joined the Aussie thread of the forum so will have to wait and see.

skye4
07-27-2007, 06:55 AM
just like to say hi to you all.i just joined and i love to knit.i have a 4 year old daughter and ilike to make knitted food.

Sharly
07-27-2007, 08:55 AM
just like to say hi to you all.i just joined and i love to knit.i have a 4 year old daughter and ilike to make knitted food.

Hi! Welcome to the forum! We would love to see some pics of your projects - maybe you could link to them, or post them in one of the other threads?

Knitted food - that's got to be better for the hips!

rosie9714
07-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rosie and I have been knitting for almost a year. I am still doing very basic projects and found this site because I am hoping to make hats for family members for Christmas. I started knitting with our church's prayer shawl ministry last fall.

I have 3 kids and also love to scrapbook. Looking forward to learning more!

Jeremy
07-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Welcome to everyone who just joined:)

Sharly
07-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rosie and I have been knitting for almost a year. I am still doing very basic projects and found this site because I am hoping to make hats for family members for Christmas. I started knitting with our church's prayer shawl ministry last fall.

I have 3 kids and also love to scrapbook. Looking forward to learning more!

You are going to love it here! Welcome and enjoy :)

skye4
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
have a post in for website.where you will find the knitted food i make .have add a link to.

skye4
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/nicola-_photos/cupcakes.jpg
here a pic of what i knitt.

Sharly
07-27-2007, 10:07 AM
have a post in for website.where you will find the knitted food i make .have add a link to.

I visited your site - your work is beautiful and looks delicious ;)

skye4
07-27-2007, 10:10 AM
thank you for having a look:)

blueggs
07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi my name is Robin. I am an avid crocheter and recently started knitting October '06. My Mom taught be both when I was in elementary school. I discovered your site surfing the web for videos on binding off. Thanks for letting be a part of this group.

peace~robinc
email: leobeauty2000@yahoo.com

Sharly
07-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi my name is Robin. I am an avid crocheter and recently started knitting October '06. My Mom taught be both when I was in elementary school. I discovered your site surfing the web for videos on binding off. Thanks for letting be a part of this group.

peace~robinc
email: leobeauty2000@yahoo.com

Welcome to the group! Have fun here! :)

honeybunmom
07-27-2007, 01:33 PM
This site has been so useful as I moved from only knowing how to cast on, knit and purl (which I learned more than 20 years ago!) - but not actually make anything - to reading patterns and producing FO's. I just recently found the forum section and really enjoy visiting it.

millyandnans
07-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I actually learned to knit from mostly this site's videos!

Now I'm trying to get started selling my designs online.

I love designing bags, but I really like quick things, too, he he. I discovered making jewelry from yarn and that's fun and gives more instant gratification. Working on cozies, too.

Yes, I taught myself to knit, and don't even often use patterns, I like diving in with my own designs.

I love knitting and crochet, too. And I'm addicted to gorgeous drool-worthy yarn and adding to my stash.

My name's Lauren-Noelle and I'm 25 in the Boston area. I'm still a student, but wish I could make enough money off of blogging and crafting to just quit. I used to love writing and school, but I've gone past the fun point. (Literature stinks.) I'd like to go to fashion school sometime. Sigh!

Well, I guess that's all. Thanks for reading!

Sabi
07-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I found this fantastic site this evening and have joined! I learnt to knit when I was about 7 and have gone through phases of knitting and sewing. At present I am trying to make socks but have got stuck on the heel so hope to be able to sort it out with some help.

KnittingStudent
07-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi all!!
I am fairly new to knitting, but I'm hooked! I don't have a whole lot of time, so I haven't done very many projects. What I love most about knitting is giving my projects away as gifts! I love the look of people's faces when they find out I made the gift. :-)
I look forward to getting help with the many questions I have! There is so much I don't know, but I'm very eager to learn!!
Take care, all!

lawyerlee
07-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Hello! I just started knitting earlier this year, and I'm loving it so much. It is by far my most relaxing hobby. I'm looking forward to learning lots from everyone here and interacting with others who love this as much as I do. :)

knittingnikita
07-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi all
I've just discovered these fprums, thank god for you all. Now i can get help

gabbi
07-28-2007, 08:24 AM
I was told about this site by a friend and I look forward to chatting here. I'm new to knitting but think I think I am hooked.
gabbi

rrseals
07-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi, I love your site. I am a beginner and have a lot of questions. Your glossary is wonderful and has helped me a lot. The videos are great. Thanks for the help. Becky

rrseals
07-28-2007, 12:06 PM
:woot:Hi, I love your site. I am a beginner and have a lot of questions. Your glossary is wonderful and has helped me a lot. The videos are great. Thanks for the help. Becky

dmr97
07-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Hello . I am new to this forum and new to knitting. I am looking for knitted doll patterns. Where can I look? Nice to meet you all. DMR97

anniegarcia
07-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Hello, I am a knitter and crocheter from Lafayette, Indiana. I learned a long time ago and now have 2 kids and am pregnant with a third, so I don't have a lot of time to knit, but I do whenever I get a chance!! I have about 4 different projects going at any given time. I love the show Knitty Gritty on the DIY network, and the videos here are just as useful!!

~Annie

sharonxoxo11
07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Hello, I am Sharon and live in WA State. I'm 64 and love to knit, crochet and quilt, also embroidery. Just now, my hands have rebeled with crochet and embroidery, so I am knitting. I've enjoyed the posts here and hope to avail myself of the help features. Thanks for having me.

Sharon

Eddie
07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I need help.

I have not knitted for many years and have never knitted a pair of child's gloves. I have a pattern from the internet, but am finding it hard to follow the instructions which read as follows

Cast on 40 sts and divide on 3 needles (I know how to do this), then it goes on to say "mark end of round: carry up marker. (where does the round startO. Join, work around in ribbing k2 P2 for 2"
increasing 2 sts in last round.

Can anyuone help me with this last sentence. Why do I have to join the wool and what is meant by mark end of round.

I tried another pattern yesterday but found the thumb was not in the correct position as I thought it should have been in the centre of the gore.

Hope this makes sense to whoever is reading it. I would love to receive your help.

Kind regards,

Eddie.

ps. If you have a simple pattern for child's gloves aged 7, then I would appreciate it. The reason I am knitting the gloves is because I cannot buy a pair of dark grey to match school uniform and she is not allowed to wear any other color. and I now feel I have a challenge to knit them and master them.

Eddie
07-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Hello again,

How do I know if and when I get a reply to the message I have posted.

Many thanks

Eddie

Jeremy
07-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I need help.

I have not knitted for many years and have never knitted a pair of child's gloves. I have a pattern from the internet, but am finding it hard to follow the instructions which read as follows

Cast on 40 sts and divide on 3 needles (I know how to do this), then it goes on to say "mark end of round: carry up marker. (where does the round startO. Join, work around in ribbing k2 P2 for 2"
increasing 2 sts in last round.

Can anyuone help me with this last sentence. Why do I have to join the wool and what is meant by mark end of round.

I tried another pattern yesterday but found the thumb was not in the correct position as I thought it should have been in the centre of the gore.

Hope this makes sense to whoever is reading it. I would love to receive your help.

Kind regards,

Eddie.

ps. If you have a simple pattern for child's gloves aged 7, then I would appreciate it. The reason I am knitting the gloves is because I cannot buy a pair of dark grey to match school uniform and she is not allowed to wear any other color. and I now feel I have a challenge to knit them and master them.

Hi Eddie. I'm going to copy your question to the pattern help forum. Have a look there in a little while. I'm sure you will get lots of responses.

Jeremy
07-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Hello . I am new to this forum and new to knitting. I am looking for knitted doll patterns. Where can I look? Nice to meet you all. DMR97

This site has all sorts of patterns. I'm also going to post your question in the Pattern forum here so have a look there in a little while. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

Jeremy
07-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:woohoo:

Dobek1011
07-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Hello. I am new to knitting. My friend thought it would be theraputic for me since my brother got stationed in Iraq. I have made him over a dozen washclothes. I have made 2 baby blankets and am working on my first shawl. I love this site even thought my computer sometimes acts up and I can't always see the videos. I am glad to be a member here and hope to learn many new things!!!!

Dobek1011

Jeremy
07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Hello. I am new to knitting. My friend thought it would be theraputic for me since my brother got stationed in Iraq. I have made him over a dozen washclothes. I have made 2 baby blankets and am working on my first shawl. I love this site even thought my computer sometimes acts up and I can't always see the videos. I am glad to be a member here and hope to learn many new things!!!!

Dobek1011
Welcome to the Forum.:)

Beckie
07-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey,
I am Beckie and I am 14. I started knitting last year after I got a knitting set for christmas. I came across this site on google when I searched for a website on changing colour mid row when knitting. I found this site and I love it. The videos are an excellent idea. Most people think I am weird as I am a teenager and I am knitting but I really enjoy it.
Thankyou!!!

Jeremy
07-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Welcome Beckie. We actually have several teenagers that are regular posters here and accomplished knitters.

beachflower
07-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I just found this site. I've been trying to teach myself to knit for the past year. I am really looking forward to improving my skills here!!
Susan

msjenny
07-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Jenny. Very new to knitting, but eager. I LOVE the videos! I sat last night looking at the continental ones because I am a long time crocheter (?) and am used to holding the yarn in my left hand. My friend guided me through knitting a baby cardigan last week, but insisted the yarn hand be the right one. It was so SLOW for me. I can't wait to get onto another project, but I think I am going to do a lot of practicing with the continental style until I can get it smooth. What a great site to find!

msjenny
07-29-2007, 02:11 PM
The doll clothes are a great idea, good for us beginners, but I was also wondering about premature baby items. I'll go have a look, my friend says there are patterns "out there" but I didn't find any at the craft stores here in my town.

captivatedlife
07-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I love this site! I have searched high and low to find knitting videos.... and found them!

I've been crocheting since I was 10 or so and have been trying to pick up knitting (or purling as my husband calls it!) for the last 5 years or so. I'm finally sitting down and just doing it. And now I'm going to take myself over to the pattern forum and post a question!

Flippit
07-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi! I just joined today. The videos were so informative I just had to see what the forums were like. I'm in the Houston TX area, and I've been knitting for just a couple years. I tend to knit in cycles... From March to June, I'm mostly busy in the garden, then it gets too hot and I switch to indoor work like knitting. :)

laptop_knitter
07-29-2007, 09:20 PM
:hiding: Hi all!
I'm Hannah, aged 17. I've been knitting for about 2 years now since my grandmother taught me how to knit a flourescent pink fuzzy scarf one Christmas. She's now passed on and left me some 8 bags of wool and yarn and a few needles, so I thought it was time to get serious!
I'm not typically very social - glandular fever had me isolated for a while - but I'm hoping I can contribute anyway

gracie
07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I found this forum yesterday. It's wonderful. However I'm afraid that I will spend valuable knitting time reading these posts. I am a sporadic knitter. Recently I have completed two pairs of socks, a cable purse and a few felted items. I just started Three Sisters Jacket by Cheryl Oberle which is by far the biggest (and most expensive) project I've tackled. Happy Knitting!!!

Jann E
07-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi, great site for new knitters or like me, a rusty old knitter trying to remember the basics.

xanax
07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Hi All! I just discovered this site. Thank you all for so much information and interesting chat. I live in San Antonio, Tx and do a lot of knitting, and crocheting. I also spin and dye with koolaid and easter egg dyes. Thank you all once again. Xanax
:)

knitty_girl590
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome then! :cool:

PhoenixTears62
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi Amy and all. Love your help videos so had to join your forum. I am *trying* to learn to knit. I will prevail though:) I am an avid crocheter but love the beautiful fine and delicate things I see being knitted and want to try my hand at it.

Jeremy
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Welcome to Everyone :yay:

Michael H
07-30-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm a crafty guy who is trying to learn how to knit. I've done a lot of other crafty things, so I thought I should at least try the 'sticks and string' craft.

KnittingHelp.com is a great site. I came across it several months ago and...well...here I am again. I'm looking forward to getting lots of help from you folks.

astonh
07-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Okay, so maybe I'm not "new" to knitting but considering it took me a couple years to actually complete my first project which was only a baby hat and booties, well.... I'm a newbie. HA HA. I have been learning on my own and until I found this and another site I've found knitting to be more frustrating than enjoyable. Now? Well, I find it both enjoyable AND frustrating (just because I'm an "instant gratification" type of gal and it takes SO long for me to see any progress on my projects, but I'm slowly learning and becoming better and faster (I sound like the Bionic Woman in the making. LOL).

I live in a suburb of Austin, Texas and am Texan born and bred. I am married with a 2.5 yr daughter and a 1.5 yr son. We just moved into our first home and it is a "handyman special" that we are completely remodeling WHILE we live there. Knitting is my "calgon take me away" hobby. When I've had house projects and the kids "up to here", I pull out my knitting and work to get a row or two done before I have to come back to the real world. :O)

Anyway, was VERY thrilled to have found this group and have already learned SO much (mainly that I'm not alone and many knitters want to scream at their projects sometimes and/or get confused by the directions, or follow the directions (so we think) and it STILL doesn't turn out like in the picture. I look forward to continueing to learn from all of you and hopefully, someday, maybe being able to help another with their knitting woes.

Heather
TX

OTN:
Supposed poncho (ALMOST done! Looks hideous but I'm gonna wear it anyway. LOL)
Super-Simple (yeah, right) Wrap Jacket - knittingdaily pattern (I've got about 1/2 inch done on the back panel...LITERALLY just began this one)

FINISHED:
Beginner's Baby Hat and Booties... They aren't beauties but I'm proud of them... mainly because I FINALLY finished them after almost two years. How pathetic?

thunderchld
07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I love this site. I have been a lurker for a while now and using the how-to section a LOT. But I figured I might as well join!!

I've been knitting for a while, but not 'hard' things. A scarf here and there, a dish cloth, some bags. I'm starting to expand my knitting horizon!

slmtree
07-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am Slmtree and I just joined, I am just learning to knit and I can Knit but can't purl right I seem to turn work wrong or something.

I can Crochet Doilies and have been for 27 years

Thank you
Slmtree

creativejesusfreak
07-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey everyone! I'm creativejesusfreak aka Claire. I'm a senior at college this year. My first experience with the wonders of yarn (lol) was when my mom taught me crochet when i was 11-13 years old (late start, i know). I got into knitting... i think it was the winter of my first year in college, so 3 years ago. I'm one of those crazy knitters/crocheters that loves to come up with their own stuff and hates gauge which is why i came on here actually, i'd like to find people/ magazines to sell patterns to of stuff i've made. I've knitted my sister a poncho, i can whip up armwarmers in no time and i've got a skirt in the making that has a mermaidish style. I've got oodles of other design ideas as well that i'd like to get out there. I can't wait to chat with everyone and get to know you all!

Jeremy
07-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Welcome to all of the new members.:happydance:

charmedonetoo
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone! I just joined, and am already feeling welcome. Thank you so much! Sorry, I feel kinda stupid, I never know just what to say when introducing myself. I'm still fairly new to knitting, so I'll probably be here alot (hope you don't get tired of me)! Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting (and eventually) giving help. Well, see you later (kids are starting to yell).

Monkey
07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Just wanted to say Hey to everyone... i found the site today whilst i was searching for a way to join yarn... and a thread here helped... so thank you... i am new to knitting and am already hooked... I am currently working on a scarf..

Bit about me.... I'm 25, i live in a village just outside of London. I enjoy alot of different crafts and currently have enough time for them.. I look forward to chatting to you all at some point.

RoxyKat
07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
hi all,

thanks for having this great site - it is OH SO helpful, and i'm sure i'll be posting lots of questions in the future!

i'm new to knitting but am already obsessed! i grew-up watching my grandmother knit, yet never had a chance for her to teach me... i'm exstatic to be learning now and enjoy the calm, zen-like focus it gives me, not to mention the magical feeling seeing my yarn turn into something real ;)

thanks again - you all seem like a great bunch, and i'm excited to learn more from you :)

cheers!
kate

Casper
07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, I've been lurking here for a very long time now and figured it was time to say hi :)

I started knitting when I wanted to make some longies for my little girl to go over her cloth nappies. Since then I've gone a little nuts and made longies and soakers and jumpers and booties. I always seem to have something on my needles.

My husband bought me the Knitting Help cd for my birthday last year so I don't come to the site as often as I used to but do search the forums on the odd occasion ;)

So, about me, I'm 31 with 2 beautiful girls and live in Auckland, New Zealand, with my husband.

knitspin2001
08-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Marilyn and I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have been knitting for most of my life and learned from my grandmother for a Brownie badge. I learned to spin about 6 or 7 years ago and am starting to get into dyeing as well. Besides fiber activities I do yoga, make hand made soaps and scrapbook.

Nice to be here.

Marilyn

Jeremy
08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Welcome to all of our new members.:cheering: We currently have members from all over the world, including all of your countries. There is a Knittters Knear You forum here you might find interesting. Perhaps you can arrange a meetup.

cindygster
08-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Hello all!

My mother started knitting mid-last year, and got me started right around Christmas. Unfortunately I didn't keep it up, and just started up again a few weeks ago. I love this website! The videos make things so much simpler (I tried following various illustrated instructions, which were impossible!)... I'm still practicing now, but looking forward to being able to start my first project!:yay:

knitty_girl590
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
A big welcome to everyone!!!! :waving:

knitty_girl590
08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
hey! i live in nc too! welcome to knittinghelp.com!

carol louise
08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
:woot:thank you amy for having a great place for new and long time knitters to go for help.
My name is carol louise h. I live in Charlotte NC. I love to knit . but now I want to learn how to knit with cottons and other light weight yarns. because in nc. you can not wear the heavier sweaters that you wear in my home state of Vermont. So can you help me? thank you carol louise

sinistral_needler
08-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello .. just wanted to introduce myself .. my name is Tracy and I am from North East Wisconsin, USA .. I have just started knitting, although I have been crocheting for over 10 years now.

Thanks
Tracy

JenLions
08-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi, My name is Jen and I am from Altoona, PA. I wanted to say hello and THANK GOD you are here! I just started knitting...and I would have given it up the first quickly if I hadn't found your site! You've been a godsend. I don't have to be embarrrassed, in front of the "professionals" at the knitting store, when I've made a mistake! I've learned how to get myself out of trouble instead of having to wait until the store opens! :yay: It's much more satisflying to figure out what I've done wrong.
Thanks again!

Jenlions (Lions = PSU Nittany Lions!)
My current project is a felted purse! I am so excited! I'll have a new sweet purse for when school starts. ( I teach second grade).

LynnNH
08-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello, all, just joined today, and already have been helped! I just finished my first sock (and cast on the second immediately!), and watched the video on how to do grafting - I think I'll be able to do it now! So much easier watching someone else do it instead of just looking at pictures in a book.

I've been knitting for a few months, but just starting to get a bit braver. I'm so pleased with my sock, it's astounding.

Thanks for being here, all. Looks like you're a friendly group. And thanks to Isabeau who directed me here.

Jeremy
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
:woot:thank you amy for having a great place for new and long time knitters to go for help.
My name is carol louise h. I live in Charlotte NC. I love to knit . but now I want to learn how to knit with cottons and other light weight yarns. because in nc. you can not wear the heavier sweaters that you wear in my home state of Vermont. So can you help me? thank you carol louise
Hi Carol, welcome to the forum. There really isn't anything new to knitting with cotton. It does have less give to it so some people consider it harder to work with. As always though, its all about gauge. I would suggest that you go to knitty.com's pattern site because they have a great variety of summerish patterns for cotton. I would also go to knitting stores to see what they have to offer. We have a neat forum here called Knitters Knear You with a very active North Carolina contingent, I believe. I would pm them and see what they have to say.

Jeremy
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:woohoo:

lageisel
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
New to the site - the videos are a great format. I've recommended it to several people. Thanks so much -

Jeremy
08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum.:yay:

Mamathree
08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Just discovered your site a few days ago and was impressed by the friendliness and sharing of resources and ideas. Looking forward to being a part of this party. :cheering::

Mamathree
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks. Also happy to see that there are a number of men intersted in knitting.

HELEN ANDERSON
08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
My name is Helen Anderson. I am called Nell.
It is nice to find another knitting group where I can ask for help, or help someone else. I have two knitting machines a brother 970 and a brother 260 . I love to knit. I hail from Scotland and now live in Florida. I am retired and just got back to knitting I had not done any since I Immigrated 27 years ago. It was surprising to find so much interest here
Nell

theknitstore
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello, My name is Timothy Hale, and I am with theknitsotre.com. Well, as I write this, the site is still not up(its a work in progress:) Myself, along with my friends are avid fiber enthusiasts, making anything and everything. As for the web site, we are going to be selling some of our fine swifts and warping boards there when it is completed. In the intern, we sell swifts on ebay. See ya around the site, and happy knitting!

Jeremy
08-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Welcome everyone. As always, I'm really impressed with the variety and interests of our members.

MoonlightDancer
08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello, everyone! I am bran-new to this site and also a new knitter. I ran across this site quite by accident, while googling a site with free videos. I just love it! It has answered questions I never knew before and I learn better by watching, than looking at pictures . Glad to a aboard!:woot:

SueK
08-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Hello, I'm a new knitter who is attempting her first jumper, currently stuck so found this website. Looking forward to getting my problem solved.

Bye for now

Sue

mash
08-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Hi,

I am from Singapore! Recently has the urge to pick up knitting..infact, I been wanting to learn how to knit but do not know where to start.

Would like to learn from all of u here...any advise for newbie how to get things start off first?

Thanks a million!

ishy
08-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Hello everyone, I am a knitter, crocheter, and general crafter from Atlanta. I am working on an elementary education teacher's certification, and run a ministry for Christian female geeks called TechnoChicks. I read a lot, like computer games, and anything related to Japan.

1knitscarf
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi Hannah,

Glad you joined the forum. I prefer knitting a scarf with size 11 needles so it's finished in 2 hours and a half.

What size needles are you using for your next project?

:hiding: She's now passed on and left me some 8 bags of wool and yarn and a few needles, so I thought it was time to get serious!

Take care,

1knitscarf
08-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi cindygster,

How's your first project coming along? What color yarn is it?

Mine was a light blue scarf knit in garter stitch with size 5 needles and 30 stitches per row.

Hello all!
I'm still practicing now, but looking forward to being able to start my first project!:yay:

Jeremy
08-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:woohoo:

mpk8652
08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Thank you for this site. I am not new to knitting, but I have never attempted a sweater. Some of the instructions make no sense to me. The first question I have is how do I: Inc. 1 st. at end of each row? Then it says: Cast on (x number) of stitches at beginning of row. This doesn't make any sense to me. I found a darling sweater to make for my granddaughters, but I'm afraid to attempt them. PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you, Mary Pat

ewephoria
08-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Awesome site...I've been knitting awhile but enjoy and use the info posted. LOVE the video clips. I'm excited to be part of this wonderful knitter's community.
Just yesterday I used the pattern posted for a teddy bear in the round for some charity knitting a friend and I are doing--what a blessing-- since I was less than thrilled at having to seam up the teddy from the original pattern.

losnana
08-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I am from Singapore! Recently has the urge to pick up knitting..infact, I been wanting to learn how to knit but do not know where to start.

Would like to learn from all of u here...any advise for newbie how to get things start off first?

Thanks a million!

Go to the videos at the top of this page, starting with "Getting Started" They will be a tremendous help. I find wool is the easiest yarn to work with because it has some memory and will not stretch out. Needles that are not too small nor too large will be the easiest, between 6-9 I think.
Good luck with your project, whatever you choose.

mixplate84
08-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi, I am new at knitting but, I have been crocheting for a while now.
My name is Ashley and I am in Virginia.
I have 2 kids.

jtauri1
08-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello! I am so excited that I found this site. I have only just begun to knit, though I have been wanting to learn forever. I am 25, married, with 2 "children" (my dogs). I am working on my Masters in Social Work and will be done next year in July (thank goodness). I look forward to talking to all of you! :happydance:

Connie Kay
08-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I am looking forward to being a part of this group. I love to knit and have just begun to explore knitting miniature items for a dollhouse. I have two projects on the needles currently-one a miniature bedspread and the other "normal" size fingerless mittens. The miniature is difficult to see after awhile so I like to switch to something relaxing. I have learned quite a bit from this site and am extremely happy that I am now able to knit Continental style thanks to the great videos here.

The forum seems to be so friendly! I am just learning my way around but hope to be able to contribute soon.

Connie Kay

fezabel
08-04-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm another new person here. I don't get to spend much time posting things on the Internet but I enjoy reading the posts when I can. I like to knit shawls and baby blankets and I'm trying to learn how to knit socks. I'm currently stuck on how to divide the stitches to start a heel on DPNs so I've given up on them for now.

Other than finding snatches of time for knitting, I'm in the middle of planning my September 15, 2007 wedding. My other favorite hobby is reading. I have 2 cats and I live outside of Chicago, IL. I love this website because it was one of the main resources that taught me how to knit a few years ago. Nice to meet everyone!

-Kristine K.

losnana
08-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi, I am new at knitting but, I have been crocheting for a while now.
My name is Ashley and I am in Virginia.
I have 2 kids.

Hi, Ashley

So nice to see another Virginia knitter here. I don't think there are many of us. There is a forum topic here, Knitters Knear You , that has a thread about Virginia knitters, or maybe it is titled Tidewater Virginia. You may find someone near you.

Connie Kay, I'm fascinated by dollhouses, but have never thought of knitting for one-other than a dishcloth which magically turned into a rug at the hands of my dgd. About what size needle do you have to use? I'd love to knit some drapes for my dollhouse.

I had wanted one all my childhood, but never had one. After I was grown and married my father made me one. A few years later when I had a dgd I won another one in an auction. I gave the auction one to her and kept mine. At the moment both are furnished with sturdy furniture from toy stores. The other furniture is put up until they are old enough to be more careful. Dollhouses are fascinating things, aren't they?

EileenInWI
08-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to knitting! Actually I don't even know how to knit yet, trying to learn. Glad to be here, have heard great things about this site.

Eileen

losnana
08-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Check out Amy's videos on this site, at the top of the page. Welcome!

zeta lotus
08-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I am brand new to knitting. However I am very excited and determined to master this awesome art form. I already sew and have made rugs, but have been looking into other fabric arts and want new skills. It helps that I have a best friend that both spins and knits with love and abandon. Her excitement and support inspired me to just jump in and trust the process.
I am a baby boomer widow with one grown daughter, also I have some mobility disabilities and live alone now.I was a R.N. before becoming unable to do that work almost ten yearts ago.
I am also just learning about the internet and my new Mac
laptop. Life is good and I am thrilled to have found a place to learn and share about my new obsession...yarn arts.
wish me luck. Zeta

Canadian_Eva
08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi I have been knitting for about a year or so now and am trying out different stitches and patterns so I dont get bored with the same one.So far I have finished 4 adult sweaters 2 childrens sweaters, 5 pairs of slippers, 1 pair of mitts, 1 tank top, and am working on an empire waiste tank top, a vest, and a afgan of different blocks with different stitch patterns in each block.

losnana
08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Welcome all! I'm sure you'll come to love this site as much as the rest of us do.

Rae
08-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone..... Aussie 'virgin knitter' here. :)

I've never even picked up knitting needles before but have a (small) project in mind that I'd like to make, so I thought I might try to learn. To be honest, knitting in itself has never really interested me but many people say that once you start, you get hooked.... so I am willing to give it a go!

Look forward to seeing everyone around the boards. I will be the one surfing the "Which end of a knitting needle should you use?" -type beginner threads! hehehe :)

Cheers

Jan in CA
08-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :cheering:

Naiisie
08-05-2007, 07:35 AM
I've been knitting for a while because my mum taught me when i was about 10, but i stopped because i got confused way too easily (couldn't tell the difference between a purl and knit side XD) But now i'm back into knitting! *celebrates*. I'm 16 years old and i live in Luton (England). I take quite long in knitting stuff but i try my hardest. I've made 3 scarves, 4 hats, 1 doll, and a random blanket with leftover yarn ^_^ I know not a lot, but i want to make mooore! hehe. Well nice to meet you all :woohoo:

cometkatt
08-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Hello all
I am new to this forum and very new to knitting (have only managed the scarf hat thing successfully) oh yes and ONE bootie :oo:

i really want to do more complicated things but cannot find any local knitting groups - we ONLY have 2 lys's and their hours dont match when am off work (most frustrating)

I REALLY want to try socks but dont 'get' heels, :think:tho to my everlasting surprise the dpns arent the problem - its the decreasing/increasing short row things that seem to baffle me they come out such a mess....:shrug:
so far have not done anything on circulars because when i tried swatching i had too much trouble -i knit tight and had problems getting the stitches back on the needles and NO idea why:eyes:

you can see i need LOTS of help (well i do anyway...but thats another story!! LOL!!:zombie:)

have a great day
rj
in shake & bake country

losnana
08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Check out Silver's sock tutorial here: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

It has helped many, many KHers.

knit.newbie
08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
hello everybody..

I'm new here!:aww:
well..I've been lurking around for a bit..this is my first post though..
I'm also really new to knitting but I'm totally hooked!:woohoo:

I can't really knit that great yet but I still take my knitting everywhere and I find it really hard to keep it in my bag when I'm sitting somewhere where I can't knit! :wall:

anyways..I'm going to have lots of questions..I already have a few...and I'm sure I'll find lots of you guys who'd like to help me!:grphug:

see you soon everybody!

EDIT: oops..forgot to say who i am! lol
I'm haley..almost 18..and from canada!

Jeremy
08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Haley. Welcome to the Forum. I'm going to Toronto on vacation this week.:cheering:

SandyJ
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
thanks for making this site! my name is sandy and I am new to knitting, some patterns call for working on the wrong side vs. the right side how do I tell? and do I count my cast on as a row?

mrsgrumblebum
08-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi all wow what a fab site.When I discovered this site as I was having a problem knitting a cardigan for my friend who has 2 weeks till she is a mummy. The help was so easy to understand and what do you know I finished my first eva baby cardigan woohoo. So I decided to join up. I know i'm just gonna love it here.

:X: :X: :X: :X:
My other half says I'm obsessed now....

My name is Debbie I'm 42 and from Melbourne

losnana
08-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi all wow what a fab site.When I discovered this site as I was having a problem knitting a cardigan for my friend who has 2 weeks till she is a mummy. The help was so easy to understand and what do you know I finished my first eva baby cardigan woohoo. So I decided to join up. I know i'm just gonna love it here.

:X: :X: :X: :X:
My other half says I'm obsessed now....

My name is Debbie I'm 42 and from Melbourne

You have come to the right place if you're obsessed!! We'd love to see a pix of the sweater. Welcome.

knit.newbie
08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Haley. Welcome to the Forum. I'm going to Toronto on vacation this week.:cheering:
WOHOOO...I miss toronto! I'm now on vacation back to where I'm originally from..and I'll have to thank the 13 hours flight cause that's why/where I learnt knitting! had 13 hours and a couple of videos about knitting..and voila! now I'm a knitter! :cheering:

enjoy being in toronto :smile: say hi to everything there!

aquavel
08-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Hello Everyone!
I have been wanting to learn knitting for years, and have had a lot of stops and starts with it. This site has been a tremendous help as I learned the basic stitches reading a book, but just couldnt seem to connect- the videos really made a difference and I am grateful! I may have just given up all-together *smile*
Starting on my first project- a sweater for my chihuahua..:woohoo:
and I am sure I will be asking questions soon.
Thanks again for the site!

Fourmother
08-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Greetings All,

I'm a newbie knitter and intermediate crocheter who's been lurking for a while. This site is a wonderful resource for anyone interested in the fiber arts. I've learned so much from the tutorial videos. I've knitted some scarves and I'm looking forward to making some sweaters for my kids.

Knitzy Mama
08-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum. But what a great site with so much to offer both folk new to the craft and more experienced. I've been knitting a long time but have always stuck to fairly simple patterns. I'm feeling very encouraged by what I've seen so far and maybe I'll branch out a bit.
I'm based in the West Midlands area of the UK, am 49 and married with 3 children. I have one grandson and my son and his wife have just told us that they are expecting a new baby in February :woot: - last night I made one pair of bootees and the back of baby hoodie in lemon and white.

Debra0404
08-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Hello.
My name is Debra and I'm 5mths pregnant with my second child. We found out its a girl, and on a whim I bought some pink wool and a pair of knitting needles. I don't know how to knit though!
Today I learned how to cast on thanks to this website...
Just wanted to thankyou for the video(s), am sure they will be a huge help to me, and just maybe, come November, baby number 2 will have something resembling a pink blanket to snuggle into! See you around x

CindyS
08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi, I'm Cindy and I live in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. This past week I was working at a kids' summer camp doing arts and crafts, and the other a&c teacher taught me how to cast on and knit. I really enjoyed watching the videos about purling and binding off, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of information on the site! But I'm enjoying it and I plan to go out and buy my own yarn and needles later today to practice before I try a real project. Look forward to knowing you!

merchgirl
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
hello everyone,

i've been using this site to help me figure things out since i started knitting about 6 months ago, but today is my first day posting. i live in seattle, i'm a potter, and i can't allow myself much knitting time because i wouldn't get anything else done! i absolutely love knitting, i lose myself in it, and i couldn't figure half of it out without amy's videos, so thanks for that!
~heidi

Jeremy
08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
thanks for making this site! my name is sandy and I am new to knitting, some patterns call for working on the wrong side vs. the right side how do I tell? and do I count my cast on as a row?

Hi Sandy. The right side is the side everyone sees when what you are knitting is worn. Sometimes this is arbitrary but most times you'll know right away.

Jeremy
08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi everybody. Welcome to the Forum.:cheering:

Effin.Nikki
08-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Yep. I'm new, but not to the site... just the forum.

I am a self-taught knitter who is just starting. I have yet to actually finish a project but I've been dinking around with all the techniques trying to get them just right before I start any big projects. The typical scarf is on one set of needles, and an I-Cord (cool!) on the other.

I must say that the videos on this website are a GOD-SEND! Those diagrams in books just get more and more confusing the more you look at them. A quick look or two at the videos and I have it down pat. BRILLIANT!

I began knitting to keep my mind off of other things because I have been diagnosed as clinically depressed. It works! Whenever I get upset, I pick up my knitting and [POOF] everything else is gone.

A little short about-me section: I'm a sophomore in college going for my bachelors in writing; I have a beautiful six year old daughter named Zoe; I have a loving fiance who is so supportive it's almost sickening; and I've found that after many many years of watching my mom knit, I actually like it. :)

Anyway, glad to be here and all. We shall type again soon.

mysmt@sbcglobal.net
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm Wendy from Mystic, Connecticut. I learned to knit when I was 12 and have knitted on and off my whole life.

My first question is---how do you start a new thread? I didn't want to butt into this conversation, but I couldn't figure out how else to introduce myself. LOL!

Wendy

Ingrid
08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Welcome everyone!

To start a new thread, scroll down to the bottom of the page in the topic area you want to post. There is a button there for New Thread.

Wench
08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, I figured that after nearly a year of knitting (and using the a-mazing videos on this site!) I could join the forums.

I learned how to knit about a year ago from a friend, and in that time have managed to buy a ridiculous amount of yarn, lots of needles, and finish a cabled scarf. Right now, I'm working on a baby blanket for my first niece and/or nephew, as well as a lace scarf for my mom for Christmas. I'm definitely one of those people who has to have more than one thing going on at once!

I also love embroidery and cross-stitch, read fanatically, ski obsessively, and go see Radiohead every time they're in town. I work full-time, but may or may not actually finish my master's degree, which is on hiatus at the moment. Like many others I've talked to, I find knitting wicked therapeutic (can you tell I live in Massachusetts?).

Y'all seemed like a nice bunch, so I figured I'd join the party :)

kitkaty
08-07-2007, 07:09 AM
What a great site, just found it today....I know I will be checking it very often for new ideas...thanks

mintdee
08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Welcome! I hope that we see you around the forums more!

jodylr
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi Everybody, My name is Jody and I live in Ravenna, Michigan. I have a SO and between us we have 8 kid's with only 1 at home still..well for the most part we have a couple that come and stay once in awhile when they can't make it in the real world but only short term..LOL I love to knit, crochet, XS and some plastic canvas.. Right now I am trying to figure out how to Tunisan Knit but I am looking for a video to teach me, does anybody know where I might find one? Look's like a great place to join here :-)

sydneyamw
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
WOW!
Just discovered this site through Ravelry! So glad I found this! I've been knitting for many years, but I knit continental - style, and have difficulty 'translating' some techniques. This site will be a perfect place to learn!

I live in northern California, work full time (and then some!) just got married, have a son in college and we have 6 cats. I love to spin and play in the dirt (otherwise known as gardening). I also love to do ceramics - handbuild and thrown, but am bad at both.

Thanks for the site. I'm really looking forward to EXPLORING!

mushtash
08-07-2007, 08:08 PM
hello everyone,
I would like to thank Amy for such a wonderful site. I hope i will be able to join u all in the coming days with my questions. I just started knitting.I am based in Qatar. Anyone from here? would love to hear from u.thanks

Jeudi
08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi, Everybody,
I've been an avid knitter since January of this year (2007) and in March tried my hand at knitting socks for the first time. I've been doing that nonstop. Just now, I'm trying to knit some socks from the Fall issue of Interweave KNITS magazine (Page 78). At this very moment, I was searching Google for help on the middle eastern cast on. I see that someone else has asked about it. I decided to become a member to see if I find out what he learned here. Also, I am seeking information on how to do a Left Twist stitch -- where you knit through the loop of the second stitch on the left needle and then knit the first stitch, slipping both stitches off the needle at the same time. I can't figure it out with these directions. Do I knit the first stitch through the back loop as well, or knit it in the usual fashion through the front of the loop? So, I am dealing with matters as they arise. I'm also knitting the free online pattern called "Candle Flame Shawl", designed by Dean Crane. Well, Dean's pattern has lots of errors in it. I found the corrections and am now knitting my second skein of pumpkin Lamb's Pride worsted up. I'm so pleased to have discoverred knitting again. I knitted a sweater and two hats when I was a brave lass of 14 years. It's now about 45 years later and I'm having even more fun with yarn. If anyone sees this and would like to help, I'd appreciate any links or tutorials, videos, or podcasts that might teach me a thing or two about Left Twist stitches or the middle eastern cast on method.
Jeudi

Ingrid
08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Welcome!

I'm not familiar with the cast on method you refer to, but if you post your question on that in the How To section, someone is sure to know.

As for the Left Twist--that I know how to do. You knit the second stitch through the back loop, then bring your needle around to the front and knit into the first stitch as normal.

redheadrachel
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
You know, I don't believe I've ever posted in this Introduce Yourself forum, so even though I'm not new, here we go.

Hi everyone! I'm a senior (but it's only my third year) music major at Freed-Hardeman University. I play piano, french horn, and trumpet, and I sing alto. My focus is in piano performance, especially collaborative piano, and I also play in our band, brass quintet, sing in the choir, and accompany the choir and the voice students.

I'm from Ohio but my university is in Tennesse. It's a Christian university, and being a Christian is really honestly the most important thing to me. And I absolutely love being in the south. It's so fun :)

I love knitting! I just started about a week before Christmas, but I've really started going crazy with it this summer. It's the ultimate coping mechanism, and a perfect outlet for creativity. Socks are definitely my favorite things to knit, and I also have a soft spot in my heart for cables and Fair Isle... just can't get enough!

I have a really cute pet fish, named Dmitri Shostakovich, and I have exceptionally fine taste in music ;)

Oh, and I'm a redhead, which is a blessing that I really cherish. So that's me!!! :thumbsup:

dawn thulin
08-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Thank you so much for having such a lovely site. There are so many things to see and learn on your site.

My name is Dawn thulin and I live in Epsom, New Hampshire. I have been knitting for about 40 years and am always on the lookout for new patterns and techniques.

Again, thank you for the beautiful site,

Dawn T.

Sydney
08-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and new to knitting. I am have a very hard time with knitting though. :shrug:

Zeeza
08-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Hi My name is Sherry and I am a semi avid knitter. I am just now getting into the better fibers to make projects. I can also crochet, quilt.

My next endeavor is to learn how to spin. I am seeing some great products done by others. I am thinking it would make a nice little hobby/business when I retire.

Zeeza

Debkcs
08-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Hi! My name is Deb, I may live to regret what I chose for a screen name here, but I was completely frustrated :wall: trying to turn the heel on a sock, so turned on the computer for some inspiration. So glad I found this site!

We live in Oregon with our family close by. Every day is a blessing from God, who is central to our lives.

I was seriously thinking about finishing up this heel tonight, but will go to bed peacefully, knowing KnittingHelp.com will be here in the morning - Thanks Amy!

GardenGirlKnitsToo
08-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this site! The videos have been a huge help as I have taught myself to knit. Now I have to say I am truly obsessed. My house is dirty, the dogs have not been fed, and I can no longer talk to my husband because I'm busy counting! There are more projects than time, and yarn is my new drug.

Wow, who knew knitting could be this much fun?!?

Cindy

kellingsen
08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
hello. my name is Kel, and i'm a newbie.

robind21283
08-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I decided to learn to knit recently b/c my good friend is pregnant, and I wanted her baby to have something hand made and very special. Not to mention it will be good practice for making an even specialler (is that a word? lol) one for my future (relatively distant - just about to celebrate my 1 year wedding anniversary with the hubby). So, now I'm addicted, right now I'm sticking to afghans, scarves and washcloths that sort of thing maybe someday I'll be brave and try clothing...

I'm really overwhelmed by all the different yarns available, I usually go with whatever the pattern uses, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to figure this all out...let me know.

And thank you Amy for these videos, b/c those diagrams in the books just don't cut it - I just need someone to show me - but I don't know any experienced knitters to run to yet.

Look forward to talking with y'all!

Robin

Lisamg
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi! I started knitting again a few months ago after not having done any knitting for about 30 years. I've also joined a group through cafemom. They have posted a child slipper for a group knit along. I'm testing out the pattern and have come to a problem. I knitted the small heel ending up with 8 stitches on the needle. then the pattern says "next row - cast on 9-knit these sts. pl-turn-cast on 9 sts (26sts) this has me confused. anyone understand it?

Ingrid
08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Welcome everyone!

Lisamg--You have 8 on your needle. Cast on 9 more, turn and work across those and the 8 and cast on 9 on the other end. You'll have 26.

Lisa R.
08-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi,
I'm new to knitting and new to this forum. Last fall, my 9 yr. old daughter decided to learn to knit, so I had to learn to be able to teach her. Now that we're into a bit, we're finding it quite addicting!

I love the videos on this site--couldn't get along without them! Now I'm hoping to learn more by browsing through the forum. I didn't need to post my first question, though, because it was already posted by someone else today--about turning the heel of a sock.

Looking forward to learning a lot.

Blessings,
Lisa R

mollyrutht
08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi. My name is Molly. I am attempting an afghan. It is very boring making ten inch squares at a time all knit, knit, knit. I am now on ten of twenty squares. The only good thing is that I have learned to watch tv without having to look at my knitting, although I do look down sometimes. I guess it's like a guitarist who doesn't have to look at the strings to play the right note.
Molly

jlmmstaff
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Hello,
I am very new to posting to forums such as this...

My name is Lisa and I am 40ish - I have been knitting on and off since I was a child. My grandmother was my mentor and always around to give help. Unfortunately she passed away last year and I am stuck on a project I really think is too advanced for me.

The pattern is for an 18inch doll cable knit sweater.

I do not know what L4 means.

Pattern:
Row 1: K1 P1 K1 - K4 L4 K2 P2 C6, place marker, * (P2, K2) repeat from * 21 times, P2, place marker, C6 P2 K2 L4 K4 - K1 P1 K1

My daughter is begging me to make this sweater and I am not sure if i will be able to. Any help would be greatfully accepted.

Thanks, Lisa

Ingrid
08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
The best place to ask questions is in the How To forum, since more people go there.

However, I can help you on the L4. It's a 4-stitch left-leaning cable. Slip 2 stitches onto a cable needle and hold in front, knit two from the needle, then knit the two from the cable needle. Voila!

Welcome to the forum, everyone, by the way!

tinakur
08-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I just joined Knitting Help today. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to read a chart that has not stitches. The chart is from the Pomatomus sock on Knitty. Is anyone familiar with that particular chart?
Tina

Ingrid
08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Welcome!

When a chart has no stitches, just ignore those spots and knit the next real stitch. They include those 'no stitch' squares to keep the chart squared and easier to read.

trudie
08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi ,I am new but lurked a lot.I am from South Africa residing in Pretoria.Glad to be here.
Trudie

dadcox
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm Debbie from Birmingham & have just been knitting since October. I have made several scarfs, 2 baby blankets just easy triangle ones & 3 baby hats which I'm still terrible with double pointed needles & have to have help and am currently working on a sweater which I have messed up on many times but I am enjoying knitting regardless! I have a question on my sweater...I am using the Denise needles & I had taken them out at the bottom to work on the sleeves because I wasn't sure I had enough yarn b/c I decided to make my sleeves longer, when I went back to work one more round in k1p1 at the bottom of my sweater & bind off I did something wrong...somehow I have hooked my sweater together...so did I pick it up wrong & knit the wrong way? I don't know what I did!

DKosecki
08-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi, My name is Denise. I am glad to say hi. I need to know how to join in the round when kniting on a circular needle.

losnana
08-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Check out Amy's videos. The tab for Advanced Techniques is at the top of this page. The section titled "Large Diameter Circular Knitting" may be what you are looking for.

kidsnwork
08-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I am Teresa and have been knitting for almost 2 years. I have come to KnittingHelp several times to figure something out and decided it was now time to check out the forum. Wow! Lots of great information here also.
I do need some help so will jump over to another thread for some help.

Teresa

emiebug89
08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I am so glad I came across this site, I am just learning how to knit and it is so helpful!

Lunarora
08-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Hello knittinghelp.com!
I am so glad to have stumbled across this site. I am an average knitter who doesn't always read instructions very well and finds herself wound up in some anxious knitting moment. In other words, I plan on using this site extensively so be wary.... ;)

I am currently working on Anouk from Knitty for my sweet baby girl and I know I'll be here posting fairly soon. It's not nearly as simple as I expected. I think the writing is just poor.

Anyway, hello hello! Have a great night!
Lunarora

luingknit
08-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Hi

I live on a small island on the west coast of Scotland. I have been a knitter since about the age of 4 when my grandmother taught me. In my time I have knitted baby shawls, cardigans, jumpers, ponchos (the first time they were fashionable), loads of aran sweaters and a guernsey sweater for my better half David.

I found this site through a user who posts to a non-knitting site that I also belong to.

Looks like a very friendly group. Look forward to contributing to posts from fellow knits.

Best wishes
Morag

Calenandellasmomma
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Hello,

I absolutely love this site! The videos have been so helpful for me in my journey of learning to knit.

Thank you,
Molly

8kids4me
08-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I was doing a search for yarn shops in Ft. Campbell, and this site came up. I'm looking forward to learning my way around.

I have 8 kids(only 2 left at home) and I homeschool. I am a mawmaw of two, with two more due in the next month or so(one of them is part of the big Ft. Campbell baby boom!). I have a son serving in Iraq, and a son in law who came back last fall. We do a lot of traveling, and my knitting bag is always the first thing in the car!:woot:

Cindy B

Michaels-Mommy
08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Hello, I am very new to knitting, just learning. I'm so excited to get started. I have a 18 month old son and I am due with what we think is a girl on Nov 1st. I love this site, it has helped me alot already.

Sarah b
08-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Thank you for this site! I am just learning to knit and just about everything I know I learned on here.

I still have a ton of questions so I am really looking forward to getting more help from all the seasoned knitters out there.
Thanks in advance!

pat lueck
08-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi..I just registered but cannot figure out how to make a post and introduce myself.

red26
08-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Hi to all'y'all!
And also - thanks for such a super duper great resource.
It doesn't matter where you are, or what time it is, if you are stuck you can come here for help!

flippab
08-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Hello Knitters, my name is flippa and I'm a newbie, from Sydney, Oz. I had this irrepressible urge to knit - it came over me this winter which was particularly cold for us. I waited for it to pass, but it didn't and then I thought well I'm sure I can remember how to do knit stitch from when I was a kid, but I can't remember how to cast of and off etc. Then I read an article where this website was mentioned and I took it as a sign! Stopped off at a gorgeous yarn shop when I was on hols and bought divine Noro yarn (straight to the pricey stuff, as you do...) and some other things.

Every time I needed to learn a new stitch I jumped back on this website, looked it up and hey presto - knitting away! So a huge thanks to Amy, you're a gem, thankyou, thankyou and thankyou.

I've knitted a scarf for my father, a cute beanie and poncho for a friends baby and now I'm making a noro throw for moi. I even bought the yarn from the US on ebay - much cheaper than here.

So now I'm addicted and on the lookout for great patterns. I'm into funky colourful stuff. I'm on the lookout for a good poncho knit pattern. And I've discovered Kaffe Fasset - the designs look incredible - has anyone here had a go? They look amazing but perhaps are mind bogglingly complicated. I'm willing to give them a go.

Anyway, hello everyone, it's nice to be here.

Flippa b

Kingdao
08-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Hello ! I'm Kingdao, From thailand If who has some thing for advice Pls.Thanks.

papier roses
08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi, I'm Kristine. I can probably figure out a knitting pattern better than figuring out how to do this! But I'll give it a try and hope for the best. I was wondering how to ask for any info on a sock cd called The Sole Solution. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Kristine

dori
08-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm a new knitter and have really been using the videos and recommending them to my friends. I've posted a question in the "questions" section and hope to have some help soon. I've joined a local guild and plan to start a knitting circle in my neighborhood. I'm a grandma and my little guys really enjoy the socks and sweaters I have made them. The oldest occasionally insists on wearing his sweater in the summer (in Florida!).
Dori

Leany
08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
:woohoo:hello, im new to this forum and i just starting learning how to knit...um thats all i can say lol

oh and i like the videos on here, it made casting on easier

stinkknits
08-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I've been using this site and its videos for a while now, and have found it exceptionally useful. I LOVE Amy's calm, unrehearsed manner -- "Oop, just dropped a stitch, no problem..." whereas this would be me: :hair:
I'm American, but I live in Portugal, so trotting next door to the neighbors with my questions is somewhat fraught -- anxiety over having to do the whole transaction in Portuguese! (Plus, I don't even know if they knit.)
That's why I've joined.
Kristi
(...goes to search forum for "2 socks on 2 circs" thread...)

Janis Gallo
08-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks, I am a returning knitter after a 20 year absence and I need to brush up on some skills I have forgotten. I have completed several neck scarves,a vest for my husband and I am now finishing a purse. I am ready to start some pieces for my grandaughter. My name is Janis Gallo and I live in Pacific Palisades, California

ohiodeb
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I had a friend teach me to knit a couple of years ago and haven't done more than dishcloths in that time. It turns out that by watching the videos for the last couple of days that I've been doing it the hard way. So now I've started using the videos to correct bad habits and relearn to knit.

Thanks for a great site. It's really easy to watch and learn.

shuggin
08-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Amy. I am excited to find your forum. I just want all viewers to know that I visited the new yarn shop w(A Strand of Purls) in Hickory, NC, on Friday and it is fantastic! The store is so inviting, and the selection of yarns is not to be believed!!! I have been knitting for years, and I have never seen a shop so perfect for knitters of any age. Good prices and wonderful customer service, too. Go and see for yourselves!

shuggin

thymetraveler
08-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, been knitting,etc. for 45 ys.
I'm currently doing the double knit hotpad to practice my technique.
I love it, but it doesn't seem to like me.
I was trying to make my granddaughter an afghan, but I can't seem to get it together to make the border, let alone the pattern. Thus the practice piece.
I look forward to being a part of the group.:happydance:

Ravlei
08-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Hello. =) My name is Ash, I'm 17 years old and I've been homeschooled for the past three years. (You can only imagine how bored I get, Lol.)

I've always enjoyed making things. I love to draw/sculpt, I love making chainmail and now I've picked up knitting. :woohoo:

This site has helped me so much. I recently bought Knitting and Crocheting for Dummies but it's not very clear. But the videos I've seen here have been clear and very descriptive. Thank you so much! :cheering:

castorella
08-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Another newbie! I'm Castorella, 32 years old, and teaching myself how to knit. This site is a big help!

LauraD
08-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Totally new to knitting! I have learned all of my basics here. I am a mom with 2 kids and I plan to knit hats, mittens and scarves for all the kids in the familyfor Christmas!

fluffybaka
08-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi. I found this site through google, looking for patterns.

I learned to crochet about a month ago, and simply love it. I plan on learning how to knit soon, once I can find a solid, free site to teach me the basic stitches for a lefty.

I look forward to sharing my stuff with you all!

boinkachu
08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
the videos on this site are a great reference, I recommend and use them all the time!

Lynney
08-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Thank you Amy, hopefully I will be able to learn a lot more about knitting which I am fanatical about.:cheering:

Sandi
08-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Just wanted to say thanks as well! I found it a few months ago when I was just starting to knit again....:balloons:

charlottesweb
08-14-2007, 12:57 AM
I am so glad i found this site. It looks so cool!

ParottsbyPauline
08-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi, I am new to this group and hope all will be patience with me as I am a begginer at knitting as well at this computer.:woohoo::woohoo::yay::cheering:

I live in Alaska:tap::tap:Is anybody here

I am making a throw and just finished a felted purse which turned out good and my friend Linda felted it for me.

Paulette

willial1953
08-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Fellow Users: I'm new to this and also a serious lefty. Been told, read, etc. that "left-handedness" has nothing to do with knitting, but for a "true lefty" that's incorrect. However, I have instructions from Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 "Knitting Calendar 2007" which is designed by Chris Carroll for Schaefer and pattern entitled "Miss Priss Twisted Texture Turtleneck". I would very much like to do the "twisted texture pattern" given but need help to see it done visually" - pattern as follows:
Row1: P1, *k into back of second st on needle, then k first st, slipping both sts off ndl at the same time; repeat from *, end with p1.
Row 2: "p into second st on ndl, then p first st, slipping both sts off ndl at the same time; repeat from *, end with k1
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl
Repeat these four rows for pattern

Can't seem to get this and need visual instructions.

annie around the world
08-14-2007, 10:58 AM
How do you k1, yo, p1? Simple, huh? Well, when you purl, your are already doing a yo. So how do you get a yo after
k1, but before a p1? Thanks.
Annie

rthersch
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
I am working on an envelope afghan for my daughter before she heads off to college.
I have to attach the strips together. I have no instructions on how to do so.
Could someone help me.
Thanks,
Tammy

Ingrid
08-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Welcome, everyone. The best place to ask questions is the How-To forum, since people look there more often. I'll try to answer you here, though.

Annie--the yo before the purl. Bring the yarn up over the needle and then back to the front again and you'll have your extra stitch.

Rthersch--Check out this site for edge-to-edge seam

http://www.knitting.co.nz/site/page_affix/toaffix_learntoknit13/

Willial--I don't know of any sites which show you how to do the twist, but your directions pretty much say it all. Go behind the left needle with the right and knit into the back of the second stitch from the tip, then bring it around and knit the first stitch as normal, then slide them off.

The same with the purl. You're basically just working the two stitches out of order.

lfaxon
08-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Trying to finish my first sweater before the school year begins. Looking to find out how to sew the seams of the sweater.

Ingrid
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Trying to finish my first sweater before the school year begins. Looking to find out how to sew the seams of the sweater.

Look under the Basic Techniques/More section for Mattress Stitch--makes a beautiful seam!

ashley b
08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
hey follow knitters,
I'm just a beginner..so i thought maybe i should look around and see if maybe i can get some helpful tips and chat about knitting. I'm 22, been really knitting since last fall, i made a touque, and a scarf..and am still working on my first sweater (i think i started it sometime around christmas time..haha..stopped for the summer though..and i'm on the first sleeve..so i think i did pretty good, haha). I'm interested in making a baby blanket out of the new bamboo yarn that is out, as I'm expecting my first niece, and thought it would be a good little gift for her. Any help on how to do this without an actual pattern (or if anyone knows of a pattern) would be much appreciated!
Thanks, and nice to meet you all!
(I'm in Ontario, Canada)

Marlynrt
08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
[B]Hi everyone. I just found this site and will be happy to use it. I am 74 years old and a widow. I truly love to knit.

knitlove
08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
This website with its videos is every knitters dream. I am a long time knitter who never knitted socks before and your kitchener stitch video was a life saver for me. My young niece introduced me to the site. I am so grateful. Knitlove

`Ezra
08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
This such an amazing site!!! I got fond apon knitting by-myself. But I started actually knitting a few days ago. I was at the Airport, when I fond someone knitting, she said that shehad been knitting since September of last year, and she showed me the basic cast-on and Knitting. She also said to chack-out this site, and that she has a Username, but sadly I forgot her name.

plfloydie
08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
well - what a great idea and great site!!!
Of course I am here to meet people and get some help!!
(I don't mean to over do it with all my exclamation points)

I have been knitting and purling, even cable knitting without problem and making afghans etc for quite some time. . .(my Grandmother taught me when I was 12!!!) I've been at this craft for more than half my life and I have successfully taught others how it's done as well. . .

I got my latest Mary Maxim catalog and found a yarn I fell in love with -- turns out they have a cute pattern right there on the website for the yarn for free. . .so I bought the bundle of yarn required to make the sweater and I am quickly realizing that "shaker stitch" or "fisherman's rib" is going to put me in the hospital!!!!! :tap:
can anyone help me?? the first two rows of it seemed to be coming out the way they are supposed to -- then it all started going wrong again!!!
I actually saw a video on this site and I learned what I had been doing wrong - corrected that, but I am still perplexed.
Before I throw all my needles and yarn in an incenerator can anyone pleeeease try to help me?
I am excited to be making the sweater - but getting discouraged by the minute. . .
I have taken this thing apart 3 times now. . . and started from scratch. . .I am thinking maybe I should just make it in stockinette --
please save me!!!

Ingrid
08-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Welcome!

To do fisherman's rib, you put your needle in the stitch below the first one on the left tip and knit it. The one on the needle will slide off with it and both loops will be around the one you pull through.

Does that help any?

mamid
08-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Mother of 3. Knitting since after 9/11. Grandma tried in vain to teach me as a teenager. Crocheter since childhood.

I found out this weekend that I am an "experienced" knitter. Two of my gfs sought me out to help them cast off. LOL

moma sally
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm new and thought I would say hello to everyone. I have been knitting for years (off and on) Made socks for everyone for Christmas and really enjoy socks. I'm looking for a nice mans sock pattern also. Well, thanks for this forum, moma sally

Jan in CA
08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Welcome to KH everyone! :cheering:

sidnee
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Hello, Fellow Knitters. This is such a great website. As a new knitter, I am learning so many things about knitting from this site and have gotten a few project ideas here. I've been knitting for a couple of months, but this website has really inspired me to keep at it. So, I just wanted to say hello to all of you :waving:
Happy Knitting!!

Sidnee

dolphie2
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
My name is Sandy and I am 40 and have been married for 20 years and have 3 children. Matt 16, Kieran 14 and Melissa 6. I started knitting when I was 7. I love knitting baby clothes, scarves. I am busy knitting prem baby hats and booties to send to my brother, who is a pastor and his wife in South Africa. They work for Life Evangelism International and are giving them to the hospitals and needy over there. I love cross-stitch too. If you would like to send knitting to them you can e-mail me at sandy@foxit.co.nz I will enjoy being with other knitters.

Sandy in New Zealand