PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Sandi
08-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Just wondering whats the junior/senior member thing about. When I look at the dates people have joined, it dosen't seem to make sence to me?

:knitting::??

Sandi
08-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi Ashely!
I have a pattern for a dish cloth that can be easily made into a baby blanket. It will also help to learn to increase and decrease stitches. If you want I can send it to you?
I also am from Ontario, but live in Calgary, Ab now.
Good luck with your knitting!

pamiam
08-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi, this is my first time to post. Does anyone know how to gauge how much yarn you have to work with in a skein, knitting from the top down, so you can use as much yarn as you like for the top and still have enough to finish depending on your size?

I am retired and have been knitting off and on since I was 9, but am now a mad, obsessed knitter!

MadBad
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi, I live in Haverford, PA. I have been knitting abit here and there over the years. I am making a sweater for my grandson and have run into a problem with how to sew the sleeves to the shoulder. If anyone has advice, I would love your input. I look forward to chatting with you.

MadBad (Pat)

dolphie2
08-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Welcome Newbies.

Hi Pat.
If you are sewing in a straight cast off sleeve or square sleeve you need to fold the sleeve in half to find the middle and then pin the middle of the sleeve to the shoulder seam. Fold the garment in half to find the sleeve and side seam so you can pin the sleeve edges even at the sides. I hope this makes sense and helps.

Sandy in N.Z.

catpersontoo
08-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I happened on this website yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This is the most informative site ever. I'm a dabbler at knitting. I have made a baby blanket, scarves and baby booties in the past. I did make a baby sweater which I decided to keep because of all the work I put into it, I just couldn't bear to give it away (it was for a grandbaby and my daughter understood why I didn't give it to my grandson, wrong color, LOL). I'm now attempting my first hat and I'm having a time just getting started. But your site has been a really big help. I had forgotten how to cast on and because of the videos, I have been able to get a decent cast on. Now if I can continue the rest of the project. Thank you so much for this website and this forum. I hope to learn alot. Sara Rawlins in Atlanta, Ga

mooksmama
08-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Just watned to say hello.
Mooksmama from Michigan... I just started knitting today and was interested in what he internet had to say... and I foudn this wonderful site.

THANKS!! :woot:

knitin4mydogs
08-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Hello,

I can't belive that a site like this really exists... This month I have taught myself to knit by watching the videos over and over and over again. Thank you so much... this site is a real blessing for us visual learners.

Anyway, I started knitting a sweater for my dog... I started the project out really well but now I have made a huge mistake and need to fix it. I need to take out several rows and fix my rib stitching... However, the videos to teach you how to do that on this site are not coming up on my computer. Is it my computer or this site,,, :??

I will try not to panic...

jrdorsey
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I have just relocated from the south to the mountains and am looking forward to spending cold winter days knitting. I've just picked up a project I started last December--a sweater for my daughter. I'm determined to finish it before she outgrows it. My local knit shops were so helpful whenever I had a question and I know once I have time to explore the shops in my new home I'll find one with great yarns and helpful staff. Until then I was thrilled to find this site and the forum. I'm having difficulty interpreting the directions and hoping for some clarification. The pattern is for shawl collard jacket from Simply Soft by Debbie Bliss. The first part of the directions for shaping the neck and armhole left front are pretty straight forward it is after casting off that I get into a muddle. After casting off directions state: ....Knit 1 row. Next Row P2tog, p to last 4 sts, p2tog tbl, k2. rep the last 2 rows 7 times more. 26 sts. Here's where I'm lost: Keeping armhole edge straight cont to dec at neck edge on every alt row until 17 sts rem. Thanks for the assist . JR in PC

princessnappy101
08-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and I'm really excited about knitting. I actually don't know how to knit and I desperately need help. I have written directions but they are not helping me to much. I can't cast on. HELP.

ftballpat
08-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hi, I was so excited to find this site, I have gotten into knitting again, more advanced than I ever did before and what a great way to get the occasional help I need! I look forward to my visits! First help I will need is w/duplicate stitching! Help! Pat

gwill
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I have been lurking here since I found the site in the fall. I discovered continental knitting here, the videos, and the questions and answers.

I started knitting in high school, made a sweater and never put it together. I crocheted for years, tried knitting now and then, but it was never as comfortable.

I really want to say thanks to everyone. Amy, thanks for the great videos and the wonderful web site. I look in the videos for a particular question now, instead of playing the basics over and over. To the knitters asking questions, thanks, I often have the same one. To the moderators and experienced knitters, I have REALLY learned a lot from you.

Thanks, I am enjoying knitting, and I owe it to all of you.

Ingrid
08-18-2007, 10:10 AM
After casting off directions state: ....Knit 1 row. Next Row P2tog, p to last 4 sts, p2tog tbl, k2. rep the last 2 rows 7 times more. 26 sts. Here's where I'm lost: Keeping armhole edge straight cont to dec at neck edge on every alt row until 17 sts rem. Thanks for the assist . JR in PC[/quote]

At this point, stop decreasing at the armhole edge but continue decreasing at the neck edge.

EmpressdesCieux
08-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Knitting help is a lot of fun thanks for providing us with so much useful information!

Claira
08-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm essentially a beginning knitter (I was introduced to
this art form many years ago and I was recently re-introduced to this wonderful medium by a good friend.

I'm creating a
log cabin throw and I keep forgetting how to attach a
new shape (I'm not using a pattern, just deciding the
sizes of squares and rectangle patches as I go...).

I'm a visual learner and I was trying to find an online
video for this step before my next meeting with an
instructor... unless of course someone could explain it
to me in an email...

Thanks !
~ Claira

Lil
08-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Gave up knitting a long time ago. Just took it up again and this site has been so helpful. Hope to chat with all of you soon.

Marina B
08-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi. My name is Marina; I live in Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver, B.C., Canada. I'm married with two teenage children. I used to knit about 20 -25 years ago but never really did much with it. Now that I've picked it up again I feel really encouraged by the online community.

I've been using the videos on this site for a while to help me with my knitting - they're great! Thanks so much.

I have a question that I'll post on the How-To Message Board.

Marina

love2knit
08-19-2007, 09:43 AM
:woohoo:hello everyone my name is marisol and am new to the group. I have been knitting for about 2 years and i cant stop!!!!!!!!:woot: Hope to get to know everyone here!!!!!

thank you
marisol

love2knit
08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
:guyknitting::woohoo:hello everyone my name is marisol and am new to the group. I have been knitting for about 2 years and i cant stop!!!!!!!!:woot: Hope to get to know everyone here!!!!!

thank you
marisol never say never

Rikki
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi all!

I'm Rikki. Single mom in Pittsburgh, PA. I've been knitting off and on for about 3 years. This site has been a big help. Looking forward to chatting with all of you! :happydance:

eengel
08-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm new to this knitting forum. I'm glad it is available, as I need help. What does m1 in a pattern mean? I see that other people have asked this same question, but I haven't learned enough about the site to find the answer. Hi to all!

losnana
08-19-2007, 07:30 PM
M1 means "make one". It is a way of increasing so that you are adding another stitch to those already on your needles. Check out the videos "Basic Techniques" and select increases. There are several different ways to make one, depending on what you are knittiing and which way you want the slant to go, if you make one every so often in the pattern.

chinagal
08-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Hello everyone!

I have restarted knitting - I haven't done it since I was a child when my grandma taught me. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. This site is brilliant- every problem I've had so far I've found a solution to here :)

Chinagal (Back in Oz)

blueeyes28
08-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Welcome everyone.

HufflepuffRose
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
i starting knitting this past winter because i got bored one night and saw that my mom had a set of knitting needles soo i taught myself how to knit from the lion brand website..... i've been knitting non stop ever since...
right now i'm knitting a blanket to see if i can do it and a scarf for my brother... when i'm done with my blanket (to see how big it is) i might make my grandma one with 2 different colors that stripe....soo i'm pretty busy at the moment :thud:

:knitting::knitting:

aztec_judy
08-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Aztec//Judy is my name.. crafting is the game ...
I love many crafts, crocheting being my fav,
mainly I give as gifts, cause by the time I finish another I am starting ... lol
Live now here in NC, have been here little over 5 yrs.
Wasn't planning on staying around but ended up doing just that.
Hubby is still truckin but soon to retire. :woohoo: :woot:
We have 3 pets, a dog Rascal, Suppose to be jack russel??
and 2 cats, Shadow and Callie, all are females.
We have my 6 kids, his 2 kids an between us : about 17 grands, 4 are girls the rest all boys .. lolol
anywayssssssss enough said ... hmmmmmmmm

margieinoakland
08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi all:
I am new to this forum, and very new to knitting. I just started in the last month and I love it. This site seems like an awesome resource. I am a bit obsessed right now and keep trying to find ways to create more time to knit (rather than work, feed kids, sleep).
I am not normally a crafty type person but here we go!

evos524
08-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Beth, and I'm a SAHM of 2 girls (with a 3rd on the way in October) and proud wife of a soldier. I taught myself to knit this past month - using this site - as a way to keep myself busy while hubby is deployed next year. As if having 3 kids aged 3 and under isn't enough, right? LOL I look forward to picking some brains around here to increase my knitting knowledge and skill! So...hi! :waving:

heidijoanne
08-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm so glad to have found this site! I'm a beginning knitter and am starting to come across things I could definitely use help on. I look forward to being here often! Thanks again! -Heidi

LuvMyDane
08-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and to knitting. I am hoping to get a knitting loom soon, but for now am playing with needles. I know the knit and purl stitches, but can't get beyone those!!!

I live in NH with my DH, DS and my Great Dane Service Dog...all three are the light of my life!! I also foster dogs for a great rescue called New England Dog Lift.

I love to crochet, but was looking for something else to do...I'm sure there will be lots of help available, and Lord knows I'll need it!!!

losnana
08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Welcome all. Be sure to check out the videos on this site. They are WONDERFUL!!!

Jeremy
08-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Welcome everyone.:yay:

flyingchina
08-20-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm brand new to this website, and I know someone out there can help me. I have an American Home Crafts magazine that was printed in 1974 (in fact I have the whole series and I think they were the best craft magazines that were ever published). There's a wonderful knitted dress that I want to make for my grand niece, but I need to know how to convert ounces to grams.

NappyKnitter
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say "hi". I have been knitting for about 3 years, but I still feel like a beginner because there are a lot of techniques that I still don't quite understand. I am not even sure how to use some of the accessories like stitch markers, and row counters. Where can I find info. on that?
Thanks Everyone!

ElaineMomNC
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi I'm Elaine in North Carolina, I joined this forum last night. I only learned needle knitting this past winter, before that I started on a Bond Incredible Sweater Machine, then I went to knitting looms. Both great ways to start, but I really love the ability and flexibility of needles!

I'm currently working socks on the two circular needle method. I'm doing toe up and about to start on the heels. I have made socks on the looms, and even one time years ago on the Bond, but I'm really excited to do the needles. I hope to even go to sweaters and afghans in the winter, but we really don't have much cold winters here.

Elaine

Alaskakatz
08-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally be on this site. I discovered it a few months ago but never took the time to register. I love all of the wonderful info ... everytime I am stuck on a project, I come here and get visual help!
I am going to have fun reading all of the threads and getting involved...
I have a hand knitted scarf I purchased in New Zealand last year that I am having trouble finding the stitch it is made with...I will be posting info in the pattern thread..hopefully someone will know what it is...

Thanks for having me here,
Alaskakatz

aprylfox
08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I discovered this website last night while searching for felted purse patterns and instructions! Thank you for all the wonderful videos! My Mom has been trying to teach me basic knitting techniques over the phone and it's not been easy! So, this was quite a surprise and at the perfect time! Being a 'beginner' is frustrating and I'm determined to get educated and start some intermediate projects! I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different techniques, but anxious to learn them! I'm part of a group of women who get together every Wednesday evening for a little "Weave and Whine" (or wine!! :woot:) We bring our latest projects including knitting, crocheting, rug weaving, jewelry making, etc. and sit and work and have a glass of wine and chat!! But each time I go they almost expect me to bring something new to show them, as I was the founder of this little group! So, now I'm knitting more and using new techniques that they'll be thrilled to see and learn! Thank you thank you!!! Your site is a blessing!

Happy Knitting!!!!
Apryl

katycatfight
08-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I have been going on this site for a couple years but haven't ever registered at the forums--I finally did! I couldn't do without this site, it's so great!

collintl
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the site and relatively new to knitting. This site is super awesome and can't wait to share with others on the forum! :woot:

-Collin

Jeremy
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm brand new to this website, and I know someone out there can help me. I have an American Home Crafts magazine that was printed in 1974 (in fact I have the whole series and I think they were the best craft magazines that were ever published). There's a wonderful knitted dress that I want to make for my grand niece, but I need to know how to convert ounces to grams.
Welcome to the Forum.
1 ounce = 28.349 523 125 grams

Jeremy
08-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say "hi". I have been knitting for about 3 years, but I still feel like a beginner because there are a lot of techniques that I still don't quite understand. I am not even sure how to use some of the accessories like stitch markers, and row counters. Where can I find info. on that?
Thanks Everyone!
I'm not aware of a particular area of the forum that addresses that problem. Stitch markers are used for a variety of purposes. Sometimes people use them to make counting easier. Say you have to cast on 100 stitches. Instead of counting up to 100 all the time you put a marker every 10 or 20 stitches and thats all you have to count. Sometimes people use them to remind themselves to do something ie changes in the pattern. Row counters are used when a pattern tells you to knit so many rows and then do something else or when a pattern is different on every row and you need to know what row you started or stopped on. If you have more questions a good place to ask is the General Forum.

Jeremy
08-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Welcome to all of our new members.:cheering:

dumahknits
08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I have really learned a lot from you videos. Thanks for your hard work on them.
Crocheted for years, played with knitting til friend at work and I decided to learn and encourage each other.
I'm a Grandma to 8. The grandkids call me Dumah.

Lorr
08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone..just joined today after reading some earlier posts. I also do quilting and crochet, but knitting has always been my "first" go to hobby. The KAL's look interesting...I may have ot join one! :)

Jeremy
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Welcome to both of you.:cheering:

Sajomaro
08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I've been knitting on and off for over 20 years but just recently (3 years ago) took it up as a more permanent hobby. I've been coming to this site whenever I needed a visual explanation on a certain technique but decided today to join the forums. Looking forward to learning from everyone on here.

Saj

bloomee
08-22-2007, 01:51 AM
:woot:I have bad tension-I think. I have gaps in my rows.

ruru
08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi bloomee
do not worry about that .. I have been knitting on and off since 1984 and it keeps happening to me whenever i get away from the hobby. but what i did was i followed what i read in books . do a sample firts keep working on it for a few days until you hands get used to the the right tension and gaps disappear . i tried another thing which helped me tremendously . i sat with my back straight and my right hand needle straight under my armpit and trained myself to move the left hand needle rather than the right ( if your right -handed) . it helped me reduce the gaps and the tensions

jenksie
08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi, I've been knitting now for about 2 years. There are many days, at work, that I say to myself "I can't wait to get home and knit or crochet". Nowadays, it seems like it is about the only thing I do! Love all the site!

Jeremy
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
:woot:I have bad tension-I think. I have gaps in my rows.

Looks like you got some great advice. Don't forget you can post in the How to forum or the general knitting forum for help.

Jeremy
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi, I've been knitting now for about 2 years. There are many days, at work, that I say to myself "I can't wait to get home and knit or crochet". Nowadays, it seems like it is about the only thing I do! Love all the site!
I can't tell you how many days I've said the same thing. Welcome to the forum.

Jeremy
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I've been knitting on and off for over 20 years but just recently (3 years ago) took it up as a more permanent hobby. I've been coming to this site whenever I needed a visual explanation on a certain technique but decided today to join the forums. Looking forward to learning from everyone on here.

Saj
Welcome to the forum Saj.

GoVerySlow
08-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Hello! :cheering:

Nice to meet you all, I'm Jo :-)

I just wanted to say hello! I'l be back soon x

NJdottie
08-22-2007, 04:53 PM
What a great site! I will back often with new updates. Thanks for doing this, its about time. :o

hi found this site from another lion's yarn and one thing that I was stuck on really helped I am a novice on the knitting I have a pattern for a helmit baby hat and i need to know how to inc1st in next as to k inc I am not sure how to do this, This is really great and love the video
thanks

Gloriapike
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi! My name's Gloria. I'm 22 and I've been knitting since about February of 2007 (Yeah, I'm a n00b). So far I've made scarves, arm/leg warmers and socks on DPNs and I just learned to do double knitting from the videos on this site!

I guess the next things I need to learn are sweaters and hats. XD

*waves*

Jeremy
08-22-2007, 07:30 PM
hi found this site from another lion's yarn and one thing that I was stuck on really helped I am a novice on the knitting I have a pattern for a helmit baby hat and i need to know how to inc1st in next as to k inc I am not sure how to do this, This is really great and love the video
thanks

Hi Dottie. Welcome to the forum. Somehow there seems to be something missing from the instruction. If you go to the videos, there is a section for increases. Could you write back either here or in the pattern help section and tell us what the pattern says,or maybe more of the pattern?

Jeremy
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the Forum Jo and Gloria!:cheering:

Lilome
08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello:waving:

I accidentally found this site while searching google for help with cast on methods. I saved the site and have returned often but have only realised today, when the invite to join came up, that I could become part of the site:cheering:
I live in Australia and my current projects are ...

The mystery stole 3..about to start the final clue...

A Cat Bordhi moebius wrap....

A lace square from the June 1996 Piecework magazine.

Lilome

gmpstitches
08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone. New to this site but not new to knitting. Love all things in needlework and enjoy the cyber knitting group.
I have been knitting for 40 years. I learned when I was ten. Most of my projects are for my grandkids and charity.
I am alway looking for new ideas, patterns and challenges. Thanks to the DIY site I have met some great people who inspire and probably will find the same here.
Happy stitching, Gayle

jphung
08-23-2007, 12:24 AM
hii my name is jennifer..im 16 ..i started knitting when i was 14 or so..and ive been off and on knitting for a whilee and i wanna pick it back up .and i want to learn how to knit beaniess and stuff..this is a really cool sitee... nicee to meet everyonee :)

Jeremy
08-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the Forum everyone. There is a part of the forum called Knitters Knear you. You might be able to meet knitters who live in the same country or region.

Waggus
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to knitting also. I am 36 years old and only just starting to knit! I had my 7th child nearly 8 weeks ago, and my midwife started to teach some of my other children to crochet. I realised that to help them, I really needed to learn myself, so have learned to crochet! I told my children that if they learned to knit and crochet, they could get a sheep, and we would learn spinning. So far my 6yods, 8yodd, 10yodd and 12yods have learned crochet somewhat, and the 6, 8 and 10yo have begun to learn knitting.

I have always thought knitting and crochet were too hard for me to learn, since my mother would get frustrated when I didn't get it after a few explananions. Well with nexstitch.com and this site for knitting, I can watch videos again and again and they don't get sick of me!!!

I am in Victoria, Australia btw. I will probably have a lot of questions.

Emma

GoingNutsKnitting
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
What a fantastic sight! I can't tell you how much help it's been to me in learning the basics. I'm now trying new things, cable knit, patterns etc and driving myself up the wall trying to figure stuff out. Can't thank you all enough for the posts and videos!

tannen2004
08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm new to the forum although I've been taking advantage of the videos for a while. This is such a great site!

CdeSousa
08-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site & knitting. I found this site by googling "knitting twisted stitches". I didn't see a video for this but was so happy to see that help was just a few clicks away.
Thanks for a great find!!:woohoo:

leahvest
08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Someone I met at a yarn store told me about this site. I'm a beginner in crochet and very interested in learning to knit.
;)

magifox
08-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I am looking forward to reading all your news. Knitters are great people and really support each other! I live in southern Quebec in Sherbrooke and love to knit. I am currently starting a new sweater for my husband but have to finish two socks, handwarmers and some mittens!!! It keeps me out of trouble eh?:happydance:

JBrazil
08-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Looking forward to this site and learning a lot! Janice Brazil

tiggs
08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself..:cheering:

I am a stay at home mom and wife who is living in Germany. My husband works for Bosch and we are here for 3 years. I am orginally from Michigan. I am very new to knitting still and have only done scarves with the normal knitting. I am wanting to try something new to help advance some.. thinking of a hat maybe.. So that is about it.. Looking forward to meeting everyone..:woohoo:

Jeremy
08-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the Forum!:cheering:

wholycow
08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I just found you 5min.ago,joined 3min. ago,and already have a question,which I listed with the newbie thread.(about finding the beginning of the thread in a new skein).I can't believe how :gah:I feel,about my somewhat :???:question. But I'm also excited about beginning knitting,and sharing this fab site w/you all. Hope to learn alot here.
~wholycow~

jacquelinebunn
08-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Can you help me. I'm looking for a pattern (to buy) for a cup cake tea cosy. I don't want to buy a kit because I'd like to choose my own yarn etc. I'm pretty much a beginner but enjoy the therapy - at the mo I'm knitting some very basic tube socks for my teenage kids actually the eldest is 21. I guess I'm motivated more by the beautiful natural yarns around which kinda make up for my lack of expertise. Post back if you can help. Visit my blog too - though I haven't posted for a bit - too busy knitting.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Can you help me. I'm looking for a pattern (to buy) for a cup cake tea cosy. I don't want to buy a kit because I'd like to choose my own yarn etc. I'm pretty much a beginner but enjoy the therapy - at the mo I'm knitting some very basic tube socks for my teenage kids actually the eldest is 21. I guess I'm motivated more by the beautiful natural yarns around which kinda make up for my lack of expertise. Post back if you can help. Visit my blog too - though I haven't posted for a bit - too busy knitting.

Skye4 finished a cupcake tea cosy. I would suggest you send her a private message asking for the pattern. Another good source is www.patterncentral.com (http://www.patterncentral.com) which has thousands of patterns. The place to find patterns here is pattern central. I'll copy your post to there so check there in a little while to get some answers. Welcome and good luck!

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone!:cheering::cheering:

iwfinley
08-26-2007, 01:32 PM
This is such a great site -- I found it about a month ago after trying to teach myself how to knit through books from my library. I live in a small town, there is no "local yarn store" and the closest Michael's/JoAnn are in Columbus, which is about 45 minutes from here. I just ordered the CD of the entire site last week because while the videos on the site are great, sometimes my connection can be spotty and makes it hard to see it though clearly! But, I finally learned to do ribbing, which felt like a huge breakthrough for me! I've made two scarves and am starting on a baby blanket! I have a huge "stash" of yarn -- my mother in law crocheted and was a huge packrat. I only took a small portion of her yarn and have enough to keep me busy knitting for many years to come. . . . . . This place is excellent and I have quickly become addicted to knitting! I keep wanting to learn more and more!

beckyrhae
08-26-2007, 02:25 PM
welcome everyone!

Littleknit
08-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm a relatively new knitter, just progressing from scarves, hats and bags. Fancy trying my hand at socks next but am a bit wary. It all looks so complicated.:whoosh: Great site!

Jeremy
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the Forum
:yay:

passionategray
08-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a brand new knitter. The first thing I've ever made was a hat, which you can see here: http://flickr.com/photos/passionategray81/842000331/in/set-72157601288837301/

The second thing I've made is currently a work in progress, and you can see it here: http://flickr.com/photos/passionategray81/1246526707/in/set-72157601288837301/

I really love knitting! My friend got me involved in it and I am completely and totally addicted!

In regards to things about me that don't have to do with knitting:

I'm 26, married to an amazing guy named Joe, and I have 2 cats named Gracie and Sugar and 1 dog named Sadie. I am a Christian and have been so my whole life. My family are missionaries in Central America, so I can speak conversational Spanish (for the most part).

My favorite TV shows are Big Brother and House Hunters and I love to read as well, although that's taken a back burner lately because of my addiction to knitting and also because we just bought a new house not too long ago!

No kiddos yet, but we are planning on trying within the next 6 months to a year.

Well, it's awesome to be involved in this community!

If you want to add me to any of your friends lists, I'm "passionategray81" on flickr and "passionategray" on Ravelry.

-Elisha

dustinac
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
If you want to add me to any of your friends lists, I'm "passionategray81" on flickr and "passionategray" on Ravelry.

-Elisha

:woot:I'm so glad to see you posting :thumbsup:

:blooby:Welcome everyone to KH :happydance:

Jan in CA
08-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome everyone! :cheering:

retireddiva
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi Everyone! I have beem browsing this site for about 2 months and finally joined! I started knitting about 6 months ago by taking a knit class and a purl class at my LYS. I've been knitting ever since. I am a 3 year retiree along with my great husband and we do daycare for our adorable almost 4 year old grandson. I have knitted scarves for my 4 grandchildren, hats for 2, l hat in progress, and 2 shawls in progress. I would like to maybe start a sweater for my 4 year old grandson (cause he is the smallest and it would be the quickest!). This is a great website and I feel like I already know some of you guys. I don't have any pictures to share but maybe eventually. I was a big cross stitcher, am a really big quilter with many finished and quilts in progress, and am now knitting every night! Hope I'm not just going on and on so hello to all of you wonderful knitters!

Jeremy
08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Welcome to our forum :woohoo:

mrslevite
08-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Hello! I just found this site last night and haven't been able to tear myself away. Thanks to all who participate and have create such a wonderful resource! :cheering:

Annasta111
08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi all, very new to knitting, actually just taugh myself how to. Although I probably do things a little differently I am so glad I found this site!!! LOTS of great info, now if I could just figure out how to knit and use the mouse to scroll through all the posts........ :) My name is Stacey, but online usually get called Anna due to screen name. I am 38 years old and currently a college student, at least you can read homework and knit :) Nice to meet you all and thanks for this great place!!

LAURIE_B
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
HELLO EVERYONE. I LOVE KNITTING AND THOUGHT I'D TRY THIS. I'VE NEVER BEEN IN A FORUM BEFORE, SO I DON'T KNOW IF I'M DOING THIS RIGHT. MY QUESTION IS, I HAVE A PATTERN THAT CALLS FOR A KFB (INCREASE ONE BY KNITTING IN FRONT AND BACK OF NEXT ST). IS THERE A VIDEO SOMEWHERE THAT SHOWS ME HOW TO DO THIS? I'M TRYING TO DO THE DOMINO DISHCLOTH PATTERN.

Jeremy
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
HELLO EVERYONE. I LOVE KNITTING AND THOUGHT I'D TRY THIS. I'VE NEVER BEEN IN A FORUM BEFORE, SO I DON'T KNOW IF I'M DOING THIS RIGHT. MY QUESTION IS, I HAVE A PATTERN THAT CALLS FOR A KFB (INCREASE ONE BY KNITTING IN FRONT AND BACK OF NEXT ST). IS THERE A VIDEO SOMEWHERE THAT SHOWS ME HOW TO DO THIS? I'M TRYING TO DO THE DOMINO DISHCLOTH PATTERN.

Hi Laurie. Welcome to the Forum! If you go to the top of the page and click on basic techniques, you will see "increases". Click that and a video will be there. There is also a how to forum here for any other questions.

Jeremy
08-28-2007, 04:06 PM
welcome Stacey and Mrs. Levite.:cheering:

GennyLynn1962
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
:waving:Welcome everyone!!

catoy
08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm an avid hand knitter who loves working on afgans. This year I've finished three and I'm currently working on my fourth. The problem is I'm working with Lion Brand Homespun and can't find a pattern that show up clearly. Does anyone have a suggestion? I've done the stockinette, garter, and seed stitches so far.

Jeremy
08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. I would say that most people here find knitting with Homespun to be difficult. I doubt that any one pattern would show up well.

swamp_deb
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Hello everyone. I found this site last night when it was mentioned on another board. I am a 53yo wife, mom and grandmom a self taught knitter, crocheter and new spinner. Someone told me that the cure for soapmaking is fiber, I am certainly spending more and more time learning this new addiction.

After seeing a member in Orange Park I just had to join the group. Thanks for such an informative site, I'm sure that I'll learn a lot and hope to contribute.

Queen of Rust
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi everybody!
What a great site! Thanks for all the organizer's hard work for creating such a cool forum and site.
I'm an avid knitter and a renegade knitting teacher. I often send my students to this site for it's awesome info when my instructions are a bit wonky.

knitgal
08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi!
My name is Ann, I'm 21, just moved in with my boyfriend and my Aunt taught me how to knit last summer and I've been knitting like crazy ever since! I have made a lovely scarf (my first real project), lots and lots and lots of dishcloths (many given away as gifts), a hat for my boyfriend, and I have been working on an afghan since January (oops!) out of Manos del Uruguay wool. I also started on a sock, but I'm not that sure I understand sock knitting that well yet, so it's sort of a work in progress. I am planning a new cable scarf, a throw for my boyfriend's mom for Christmas and a cable throw for myself. I have a penchant for gorgeous soft wool in beautiful colours and cables (as you can probably tell from my future knitting projects).

p2min
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
From what I have seen so far, this is a great site. I am very new (just casting on) to knitting. I need help with the very basics. I bought some needles and yarn for my 9 year old daughter and myself to learn to knit.

She and I also an avid golfers. My goal is to make my own head covers. I could easily buy them, but I would like the satisfaction of making them myself. I would also like to make them for my friends and family as special gifts.

I hope that someone on this site can help me. My daughter is really excited about knitting. I can truly say she's doing a better job than I am.

Thanks,

p2min

karne
08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I got some great help here with a gauge question which started me looking around. What a wonderful site!

I'm Karen, 48, married to my best friend and I love knitting. Ok, I love quilting, sewing AND knitting. And embroidery. Well, if it has to do with some kind of fabric or thread, I like it!

I'm currently knitting the Bonsai Tunic for me, a pair of socks for my mom and various dishcloths and booties (for an upcoming granddaughter).

Glad to meet you all :)

Jeremy
08-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:cheering:

carriecares
08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
can't wait to get started. I've done quite a lot of knitting, but need help with patterns and finishing up work. Looking forward to joining the group to chat.
Carrie

Jeremy
08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Welcome, we're glad to have you here

cowgirlknitter
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Howdy Everyone!
I've been knitting now for about 2 yrs. and taught myself with books and a cdrom. I really enjoy it and love to learn new things! I'm in TX USA and have 2 kids (both married) and 4 grandkids! and the only stay-at-homes are two furbabies; Fancy, my long-haired chihuahua, and Joey, my fat, lazy, ol tomcat! I'm thrilled I found this site and hope to find many new friends here!
CGknitter

DonnaMac
09-01-2007, 06:40 AM
:grphug:Thank you

DonnaMac
09-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Hello All, I'm a novice. I just completed my first sweater. Took me 6 months but my daughter wore it on her first day of school. She teaches first grade. It looked great. A few mistakes, that I can see. I'm really proud of it. But discouraged because it took sooooo long. I know I'm smarter than that and I still make mistakes and pull it all out. I guess I'm a perfectionist....I also have not learned how to fix my mistakes. For me it's easier and I guess I feel it's practice.

One of my biggest frustrations is the first row. It's so hard for me. I've loosened my tension and it's still tough. Any ideas.:knitting:

Brandy_m
09-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi! I'm Brandy. I was a knitting fool a few years ago and am starting up again! I'm also a stay at home mama to 3 little heathens (well, 2 are in school :cheering: ) and a Weight Watchers leader.

Looking forward to chatting!

Brandy

elliebelly
09-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Joyce.

I do a lot of knitting at ballet rehersals, carpool, and in meetings in my office, as well as late at night and over early morning coffee with my teens.

i'm elliebelly on ravelry too (ellie is my daughter, and somehow, i ended up with that computer name a long time ago)

:knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting:

jennylozano
09-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi my name is Jenny and I just discovered this web site!! I wish I knew about it three years ago when I decided to teach myself how to knit and I was unable to find images of how to knit. I had to follow the images from a book at with tons of patients I finally did it :) I have knitted scarves, hats, mittens, and a couple of tops so far. These days I am finishing my first sock and starting my second to make the pair. As I like to work in more than one project at a time (so I have some variety) I am also knitting a heavy sweater with the super bulky wool-ease. I started somewhat early this year with my winter items because I want to have at least a few of them ready by the time it gets cold. I am in Wisconsin and, boy, it gets soooo cold up here! I am here finishing my PhD and knitting helps me to relax, have fun and be creative, while enjoy additions to my wardrobe. I learned to crochet when I was 12, almost 20 years ago, but although I know crochet is beautiful, I personally prefer knitting... I get bored crocheting! I will definitively come to this forrum very frequently :)

dolldr
09-02-2007, 01:47 AM
They call me dolldr. That is doll doctor. I work on dolls.

Jeremy
09-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Hello All, I'm a novice. I just completed my first sweater. Took me 6 months but my daughter wore it on her first day of school. She teaches first grade. It looked great. A few mistakes, that I can see. I'm really proud of it. But discouraged because it took sooooo long. I know I'm smarter than that and I still make mistakes and pull it all out. I guess I'm a perfectionist....I also have not learned how to fix my mistakes. For me it's easier and I guess I feel it's practice.

One of my biggest frustrations is the first row. It's so hard for me. I've loosened my tension and it's still tough. Any ideas.:knitting:

Welcome to the Forum Donna.:hug: I'm going to copy your post to the How to forum section under the title "Help with Tension on the First Row. Look there for some help.

Jeremy
09-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Welcome to everyone who just joined. Please feel free to browse the forums and post comments.

incialucia
09-02-2007, 01:25 PM
hello, my name is Lucia, im from Argentina.
I like so much knit and crochet. I dont remember who teach me
, only that it was long time ago. My, so to speak, dream is to knit a beautiful shawl of the book Victorian Lace today. I am making enough you practice not to fail in the attempt.
Excuse if my English sees a little native, I am using the translator of google and something of which I of English.

I like stay here!!!:muah:

Jeremy
09-02-2007, 06:06 PM
hello, my name is Lucia, im from Argentina.
I like so much knit and crochet. I dont remember who teach me
, only that it was long time ago. My, so to speak, dream is to knit a beautiful shawl of the book Victorian Lace today. I am making enough you practice not to fail in the attempt.
Excuse if my English sees a little native, I am using the translator of google and something of which I of English.

I like stay here!!!:muah:
Welcome to the forum. It doesn't matter if you speak English well as long as you love knitting and yarn:hug:

armari300
09-02-2007, 09:11 PM
thank you for welcomming to this site i would like to know what are the better brands of needles to use i am learning how to knit and this site has been very helpful the videos are especially helpful because i am a visual learner.:cheering:

Jeremy
09-03-2007, 12:23 AM
thank you for welcomming to this site i would like to know what are the better brands of needles to use i am learning how to knit and this site has been very helpful the videos are especially helpful because i am a visual learner.:cheering:

Hi Welcome to the Forum! Many of us here use the interchangable circular sets. Knitpicks is a big favorite as well as Denise. These needles are nice because you will have the right needle for most projects. Here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=57276) is a nice thread with more details.

2x4
09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm just checking the chat topics and saying hello! I haven't started knitting today but will probably pickup one of the two projects:cool:.

Jeremy
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if we can help you!

CSavvy
09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for welcoming me! This site is wonderful. I'm a long time knitter happily returning after too long and not an expert by any means. The videos are so great for things I've forgotten.

I'm knitting several baby gifts and using a Debbie Bliss pattern for a sweater that calls for the back to be knitted to a given length and then sleeves to be shaped by casting on 6 stitches at the beginning of the next 6 rows, then 18 stitches at the beginning of the following 2 rows. Could someone please tell me how to go about doing the cast on?

Also, the pattern calls for Cashmerino Aran and I'm using Cashmerino Chunky. Will that cause a problem?

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy
09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for welcoming me! This site is wonderful. I'm a long time knitter happily returning after too long and not an expert by any means. The videos are so great for things I've forgotten.

I'm knitting several baby gifts and using a Debbie Bliss pattern for a sweater that calls for the back to be knitted to a given length and then sleeves to be shaped by casting on 6 stitches at the beginning of the next 6 rows, then 18 stitches at the beginning of the following 2 rows. Could someone please tell me how to go about doing the cast on?

Also, the pattern calls for Cashmerino Aran and I'm using Cashmerino Chunky. Will that cause a problem?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to our Forum. I'm going to copy your post to the pattern central section where you will get some help. Just click the forum tab above and choose Pattern help. Your question will be under the title "Please Help with cast on issue in baby sweater"

omi
09-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi, I'm a brand new knitter, I've been a crocheter forever, but I needed a new challange. So with the help of the website, cd set and a few books, I finally taught myself to knit contitenal style.
I'm sure I'll find all kinds of useful info here.

Jeremy
09-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the forum:hug:

wholycow
09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
As so many have already said...Thank you so much for being here.
I came last week when I was just starting out on a project,and couldn't even get the yarn out of the ball! I had so much help,and forgive me for not remembering names..a week has gone by,and I need to go back and thank those super people. I too am gratefull to have found you all,and will continue to come visit,and possibly one day can help someone else. Take care,...;)wholycow

asma
09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi!

I'm a new knitter also. I learned how to knit back when I was in Grade 4 and thought I had forgot! I am expecting my first baby and thought that I wanted to knit my babys first blanket.

I looked up sooo many videos on the net until i found your website and found them so useful. I only knew how to cast on stitches and do a garter stitch. Now, I'm still trying to figure out these confusing patterns! lol ...
But anyways, i guess im not the only beginner here and dont mind for any silly questions i might have!

Nice seeing you all here!!

bye!

Asma

Avinony
09-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi, another new knitter here.

I'm an art school student and when I get creative I try to find ways that will be beneficial to myself and my career. That sounds snobby haha. Yeah I figured it would be fun to learn to knit and I could use it for school and work as well. Who knows? The final inspiration was a pattern for a shrunken head :p that I can't wait to be good enough to make.

So far *drumroll* I can knit............. A BRACELET!!! Haha.

I'm excited to hang out with you all here.

See you on the forums!

-Avi

Chosenlass
09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi all!

I'm an old knitter (well, yeah, I'm old and have been knitting for ages!), but new to the forum. I just wanted to say hi and give a bit of an intro.

I'm in St Louis, MO, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here, and hopefully some local knitters to get together with.

Jeremy
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

Avi-Knitting is a very creative way to express yourself. There a number of people right here that have designed and published patterns.

Chosenlass-Check out the KnittersKnear You Forum here. BTW, my son is in his last year at Wash. U. I love St. Louis.

Wholycow- Your comments were so nice I shared them with the other mods.

GennyLynn1962
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!

Jan in CA
09-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the KH everyone! :thumbsup:

maxala2
09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi Everyone. I just found this site and it is awesome. If anyone has a knitting pattern for an alligator scarf, please let me know.
Thank you and Happy Knitting:wink:

Jeremy
09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Everyone. I just found this site and it is awesome. If anyone has a knitting pattern for an alligator scarf, please let me know.
Thank you and Happy Knitting:wink:

Hi Welcome to the forum. Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=63860&page=2) is a useful thread on that subject. It is available as a kit from Morehouse Merino (they run ads here, there was an alligator scarf advertised above when I first got into the forum to answer your question:))

If you go to Pattern Central there is a sticky there with lots of sites listed with free patterns.

carsophia
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
i love this site - have recommended it to MANY new knitters for the FANTASTIC video help...

i've worked on about 10 projects that i've never finished... i don't know how to "block" i'm determined to get it mastered this year though - just finished knitting this awesome Vogue cardigan - still in 5 pieces though (started the pieces in May, finished the pieces --- in May... it's now <gulp> September????)

very new to this whole "blogging"/forum stuff - hope i can get this figured out, too...

regards~
'carsophia'

mintdee
09-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Don't worry Blocking is a breeze. One of those things you just have to dive in and try in order to get it. :hug:

We look forward to seeing you around the forum!

jsimeon
09-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi all, I'm not too new to knitting, but very new to posting threads, etc. Looks like fun!

Jeremy
09-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Welcome to KH:hug:

julier803
09-06-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm new to knitting AND new to this whole forum-posting thing. I've been lurking around the last few weeks and am blown away by the amount of knowledge and willingness to help found here. Thanks for an AWESOME resource!!:yay:

latestarter
09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I've visited this site many times when I've gotten 'in trouble' and my LYS was closed for the evening. It always keeps me knitting so I just wanted to say thanks. I'm having a blast going through all the posts - but I think it's time to pick up my needles again! Yippeeee.....

Sunny_Singer
09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
My name (Okay, my nickname) both on and off line is Sunny. Almost no one uses my real name, even my Mom has finally broken down and started calling me Sunny! LOL.

I am 47, mother of 2 grown kids (now into empty nest - which hubby and I are enjoying immensely). I live in Pennsylvania, USA. I have a 2 yr old tiger cat whose name is Tiger Lily.

I learned to knit years ago, however, only learned to purl, tail cast-on, and how to read patterns in June 2007.

The librarian in charge of social groups and functions, I am not sure of her official title, told me about your site. I am glad she did.

Although my pc won't open the direct links at the top of the page (glossary, patterns, etc), people who answered my question in the forum gave me url links which I could open and use.

I am one of a small group of volunteers trying to help get a knitting group going in our library. I consider myself a beginner, others called me intermediate, I'm not picky. Their confidence in me makes me feel good either way.

Jeremy
09-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Welcome everyone. So good to have you. :hug:

lauraaa
09-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Laura! I came across this site before after googling easy cast-on for knitting. The videos for casting on were a HUGE help!

I'm new to knitting and can only knit scarves for now but hope to move onto hats and gloves and other things! I'm also trying to learn how to crochet as well but that's a tough one. I will continue to learn new things as I browse around this forum. It should be interesting.

Thanks!

mommydearest
09-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I finally found the right place. I haven't done many chat rooms so I don't always know where to go.

My name is Mary and I live in Southwest Florida. I decided to try knitting again. I bought the "How to..." book several years ago and didn't get very far but this summer I saw a small kit to take with me on vacation and decided to Go for it! I've made a few small projects and am working my way up to making socks for my son. He loves the slippers I finished on Monday.

There is still so much to learn. I'm hoping to make new friends and learn how to do the things I'm confused about (probably simple things my brain won't accept :) )

Hope you all have a great day.

antoneta
09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
hi all,my name is Annie and just start to learn how to knit,i crochet very much though...i found here lot of usfull things..thank you all that made this site with so many informations.
The only problem with this site is that you become addicted very quickly:mrgreen:
Please escuse my bad english.

Patty
09-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I am an new member of the KnittingHelp forum. Glad to be here and I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Patty

:hug:

dagny
09-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I am new to these forums but the videos on this amazing site have been helping me for a few months now! I look forward to talking to all of you . . .

Jeremy
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Welcome everyone.:) Annie, we also have a crochet forum here.

2x4
09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi all, i'm getting on late but need your advice on this situation. My group received a very large donation of 100% wool yarn. The yarn looked great and there were so many colors and weights as well. When I got it home, however I started to notice that tiny worms were in the yarn plus it had a very musky odor. I actually picked up on the odor before I got the yarn home but thought it was from staying in plastic bags too long. My question: should I toss this yarn or try to air it out and use it. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks for any advice.

Ingrid
09-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi all, i'm getting on late but need your advice on this situation. My group received a very large donation of 100% wool yarn. The yarn looked great and there were so many colors and weights as well. When I got it home, however I started to notice that tiny worms were in the yarn plus it had a very musky odor. I actually picked up on the odor before I got the yarn home but thought it was from staying in plastic bags too long. My question: should I toss this yarn or try to air it out and use it. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks for any advice.

I'd toss it as far as I could. It sounds like moths have gotten to it. Keep it as far away from your own wool as you can and get rid of it.:ick:

AnnJ
09-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I have planted a huge garden this year and it has been taking all of my time. I also started to deliver 2 newspaper routes on Monday to Friday. It amounts to 50 newspapers per day. I just finished a dishcloth on Wednesday that has been sittting in my knitting basket since May.
I tried to add on the map but it was blocking me and wouldn't move to the right place.
AnnJ

Sharnie
09-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Good Morning All!

I am new to this forum as well as knitting. I have been knitting for about 3 weeks now. This site was a HUGE life saver when I was trying to understand what the patterns meant. I have completed some letter squares as well as a Texas square. I just started a baby blanket that I am excited about. I hope and pray it will turn out okay.

I just wanted to stay hello to you all. I am sure I will be asking questions when they arise.

Thanks for all your help!
Sharnie

Carla1019
09-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Sharnie,

In your signature, you say you love to Cachin.. Is that like in Geocaching? If so there is a few of us on here who Cache.

Welcome to the KH.

Rebecky926
09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I can knit & purl (I'm currently working on a stockinette stitch
afgan), but I cannot figure out how to knit & purl in the same row, beyond the first row. If someone could offer some helpful hints, or stear me in the direction of a good video how-to, I'll be forever greatful. Thanks in advance.

Becky

Ingrid
09-08-2007, 03:48 PM
I can knit & purl (I'm currently working on a stockinette stitch
afgan), but I cannot figure out how to knit & purl in the same row, beyond the first row. If someone could offer some helpful hints, or stear me in the direction of a good video how-to, I'll be forever greatful. Thanks in advance.

Becky

When you knit the yarn is in the back, and when you purl, the yarn is in the front, right? When you want to switch from knit to purl, bring the yarn to the front between the needles and purl. When you want to knit again, bring the yarn to the back between the needles and knit.

zdenise
09-08-2007, 06:24 PM
hello, my name is Denise and I am new to your site

Ambra
09-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi! I just found this site. I'm so happy I did. Right now I'm trying to knit a scarf. Its been alot of fun. I'm having a problem with a slit.

losnana
09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Welcome, all.

Ambra, why don't you ask your question in the HOW To thread? I'm sure you'll get prompt responses.

Doodknitwit
09-09-2007, 10:18 AM
:waving: zdenise and ambra!!! we have so much fun here!!! a wonderful resource for knowledge and friendship :sun: :yay::yay: :woohoo: :blooby:

Knitty2theCor
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi there! I'm de-lurking after over a year of visiting this site faithfully. Everyone is so giving, inspirational and supportive that I just couldn't be in the background any longer.

So happy to be an official member now!
-Cor

Eir
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
G'day, I'm Eir from the woods of northern Sweden. I've always been terrible at handicraft (barely passing it as a subject...), but it's fun so I've decided to take it up on my free time. Starting with knitting, because it's great fun (and you just need some sticks and yarn for the basics). So for now, my goal is to become a better knitter, and knit something advanced next semester to get a higher grade in school... :)

Mallie
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone! I've been knitting for a while but have only just discovered the online community. I kind of go through phases but right now I'm in the middle of a bit of a knitting frenzy; so I hought it'd be nice to seek out some people who'd actually be interested in talking about it, instead of watching the eyes of my nearest and dearest glazing over when I start to talk about yarn and needles! So far I've tackled hats, gloves and scarves but I'd like to have a go at some more challenging projects like socks and maybe a sweater or two, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions coming up! Also looking forward to joining my first knit-along and getting to know you all - Alice :)

nitwitchgranny57
09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
hi all, I'm fairly new to knitting, so far have only made washcloths, and am now working on a hooded baby afghan for my great grandaughter due soon. I'm sure I'll will be visiting this site often for help on knitting questions. Thanks Amy for the warm welcome!

Jeremy
09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Welcome everyone. There is something here for everyone. Have a look in Knitters Knear you. There are already members here who live near London and elsewhere in the UK as well as Sweden.

hemmingway
09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
hi all!
I'm sarah; i've been knitting for about 9 months now and take it with me everywhere! I first learned how to knit from another resident in my dorm and this site. It's been so helpful. Now i'm looking for new pattern ideas and this site has so much information!

thanks for everything!

Jeremy
09-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Sarah. Welcome!:hug:

CDBear
09-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Hello All!

I'm Christi from Mississippi. I learned how to knit just this summer, and already have 3 FO's, including a pair of socks!! I have been crocheting since I was a little girl, and tried to learn to knit several times, but was unsuccessful until a bunch of great ladies at two LYS's helped me. Now, I'm a knittin' crochetin' machine!!

DH and I have 2 sons, DS#1 is 23 and in the Air Force, and DS#2 is a junior in high school - and in AFJROTC. We've been married 26 years this past August. He is totally supportive of any of my yarn projects, and is often a very helpful critic/observer.

I'm excited to be here. Thanks!!

Christi :knitting:

Brandy Wine
09-09-2007, 10:32 PM
This sight is awesome! Anytime i have been stuck, i just come here and theres exactly what i need!

Jeremy
09-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Welcome everyone:hug:

SharonNPenn
09-10-2007, 04:11 AM
This is a great site! I tried (half-heartedly) many years ago to learn how to knit and it didn't take long for me to give up. It is now 20 years later and my youngest has just left home for college. I have read every book in the house and finished putting up the vegetables from the garden... so here I am again. I picked up some yarn and some knitting needles... when I looked at the pattern, it looked like a foreign language. With the help of the videos on this site I have completed a "dish rag" with many flaws over the last few days.... not the videos fault... the parts that are right are because of this site. I figured I would start small and if I was going to use it as a dish rag.... no one is going to care about the flaws anyway. I hope to get better. I have two daughters in two different colleges and I would like to make them each a scarf made with their school colors before Christmas. I may be on the forums quite a bit trying to decipher the patterns over the next few months.

megarga
09-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks Amy
looks like a useful site
Ann

Jeremy
09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Welcome to both of you.:hug: We are usually very quick to answer questions here so fire away.:)

Buckster
09-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Hey everyone...I'm Buckster! :cheering: Very happy to be here!

martino
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I am also an addicted knitter and crocheter. I am wondering if anyone from Windsor, Ontario, Canada is also addicted to this craft. If so, please reply so we can chit chat.

Thanks
:muah:

neikenberry
09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks,...this particular computer medium of posting, etc., is sooooooooo new to me, that I am a bit confused about what to do, where to go and so forth.

The reason I need to get envolved with other knitters is: I picked up my needles again after about 40 years of non-knitting. Some of the new patterns look pretty easy BUT some of the abbreviations are very unfamiliar to me. Where do I go to get clear info on what an abbreviation means and how to do what the pattern abbreviation is telling me to do (if there is no clarifiction or illustration with the pattern). I only have a few minutes at work on my lunch hour to ask or answer questions.
ike

neikenberry
09-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I will have to try to get back to you tomorrow with some of the abbreviations I am having trouble with.
ike

nattugla
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Hello everybody!

I have been an industious sock-knitter since last fall, and have often used this site to watch the videos on different techniques. They are the best.:thumbsup:

I didn't join this forum though before today.
My latest sock-project is the Horcrux (http://www.knittingasfastasican.com/FreePatterns/Horcrux%20Socks.pdf)

more socks on my blog (http://www.nattugla.blogspot.com)

from H:inlove:

Jeremy
09-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks,...this particular computer medium of posting, etc., is sooooooooo new to me, that I am a bit confused about what to do, where to go and so forth.

The reason I need to get envolved with other knitters is: I picked up my needles again after about 40 years of non-knitting. Some of the new patterns look pretty easy BUT some of the abbreviations are very unfamiliar to me. Where do I go to get clear info on what an abbreviation means and how to do what the pattern abbreviation is telling me to do (if there is no clarifiction or illustration with the pattern). I only have a few minutes at work on my lunch hour to ask or answer questions.
ike

Welcome to the Forum:hug: There is a tab right above us called Glossary. There are many many abbreviations listed there. Some even have videos accompanying them. If you don't find the answer there, I would recommend the pattern help forum or the how to forum.

Welcome to the Forum.

Jeremy
09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Welcome everyone else!:hug:

joohimay
09-12-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm not even kidding. This sight's videos have been a life saver. I've been knitting for about a year now and love to tease my sister who crochets but can't seem to pick up knitting. I look her sympathetically and tell her she's forgiven.

sheysd1
09-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi!..........My name is Shey and I just started knitting 2 days ago. I thought I would be totally on my own as I can find no one to help me get going. Then I found this site and I LOVE IT! It has been such a great help to me!

I can't wait to learn all I can from all of you very talented people! Thanks in advance for just being here for us "newbies"

Shey :woot:

Jeremy
09-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Welcome to both of you!:hug:

Magaly
09-12-2007, 02:30 PM
:waving:Hi everyone.
This was haven sent. As I look through this site I just love it. I learned to crochet on my very own. I want to learn to knit I have tried it and love it very much. This truly is a stress breaker. The love of my life left for Iraq and this was the motive to learn and occupy my time. He is know home and I still keep tring to learn more. As I learn I try to teach my Girl Scout troop. My 8 year old likes it and it has become a mom and daughter time that I enjoy. Sooooo anything you can teach me or show me will be more than welcome:X::hug:

mwhite
09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Mary and I live in SC. I learned how to knit and purl at age 12 but never really developed a love for it until 4 years ago. I was a pro-seamstress for over 35 years and still love to sew for myself and the family. I started working patterns from an old Reader's Digest book, making dishcloths for friends... practicing with the dishcloths led me to making afghans, hats, felted bags, fingerless gloves, the list is endless. I can't seem to put the needles down... Okay, I'm an addict! Anyway, one of my friends for NHGC made a comment about this site and here I am. I do so love seeing everything being worked on and sharing what I'm doing.

I'm in my 50's, married, have 2 grown children and one, very precious 2 yr old granddaughter who loves to tinker with the needles. Hopefully, I'll be able to share the love of knitting with her. I have tons of patterns and links and will share... just let me know what you're looking for.

I really love to experiment with patterns and have discovered the use of dpns and circulars. What a wonderful way to knit! Using the dpns opens many pattern "doors" and allows me to carry the stitches that much further.

I'm enjoying this site for sure! Mary :muah::mrgreen:
Clickety Click!!!:knitting:

Ingrid
09-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Welcome, everyone!:happydance:

piglet
09-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I am so glad to be a part of this group. I live in Oklahoma. I am in Nursing school,I will graduate in Feb with my RN. I have 3 children 2 boys (35&30)and we just adopted a little girl she is 6 we have had her for 2 years. So I stay very busy and love it. Gwenda in Oklahoma:knitting:

ggrose1
09-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Rosemary and I am just learning to knit. The videos are exactly what I have been searching for and they are great. I have seen some beautiful knitting and want to try it myself. I am so excited.

Rosemary

jmknitster
09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
happened on when researching an ad i saw in my local pennysaver. so hello and now i am off to find info on Yarn Outlet, Oceanside, ny

Sharnie
09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes that is exactly what Cachin' means ! Love the sport.......

carrye
09-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi, my name is Carrye and I am very excited to have come across this site. I'm fairly new to knitting so I am sure I will be here often!

drummerboi202
09-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Hi! My name is Christen and Im pretty new to knitting. I love this site because it helps me figure out what all the terms that I see in patterns mean! I only know a garter stich right now, but I hope with the help of this site, I can learn to do much more!

Meidosemme
09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi! I am new to knitting and Amy's website has been, by far, the most precious resource I have found to teach myself the craft. I don't always understand explanations in pictures, let alone words... but video did it. So, thank you very much Amy!

So far, I haven't ventured far from the rectangle: I made 1 white ribbed scarf, 1 computer bag, 2 striped stockinette scarves, 1 striped ribbed scarf, and 1 pointed elf hat. My next projects are an earflap hat for a friend and a striped hat, fingerless mittens and for myself.

I have nearly everything to learn. I've got to find a cheap source of yarn, too. Are there other knitters from Paris, France in the forum?

Necole
09-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Don't know if I am doing this right but I wanted to join the forum having been recently inspired to do some knitting again after many many years.... My grandmother taught me to knit English style when I was a kid - Now I want to try to do some knitting and felting of bags and hats! I am a mom and would like to make things cool to teens as well:-)
thanks Necole

Q2229
09-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi.

I have always been interested in learning how to knit. I'm finally learning slowly but surely. So far I'm 3/4 done with my first project, a scarf! I really enjoy to videos and watch them often. I hope to upgrade soon to more complex projects.

Nice to meet everyone.
Q2229 aka Abby

françoise rey
09-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi everybody
I'm a new member, and glad to be so, though I'm not used to forums and things like that.... it already took me some hours to get to post this "introduce yourself" note !!
But I can knit OK...and that's a good start.
So I am french, living in France and I run a patchwork and embroidery shop, here in Toulouse, with a friend.
We don't sell wool and knitting notions, just becaus we don't have enough room !!!
I used to knit a lot when my daughters were younger (they're 27 and 24 now!) but got back to knitting a year ago (tried some lace knitting).
I'm 57, married to one that knows a lot about computers, so he'll help me up with that part !
Hope I can be of some help one day here, and thank you for admitting me in this group.
Françoise
PS.I often watch videos and read "how to's" and I fond them very interesting and useful.

Jitendra
09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
hey everyone, I'm Jitendra, I'm from Canada, and I guess I've been knitting and crocheting since I was a kid but I didn't get really into it until this summer - that is, I never tried to make anything other than scarves and I didn't know any techniques any more advanced than stockinette.

Recently I found a yarn store that teaches spinning, and the owner breeds and sells angora rabbits! I love it, so I'm totally going to learn how to spin wool.

elicrochet
09-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Elise. I live in Alabama and very new to knitting. I have been crocheting for years and recently decided I had to learn to knit.. I came across this site and the videos have been ssssssooooooo very helpful. Hope to learn quite alot !!

wip knit multidirectional scarf in extra fine blue merino

wip crochet black wool purse to felt

RikaHeart
09-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here. I'm also very very new to Crochet and Knitting. I really want to learn. I'm from Texas, Paris Texas. I want to learn how to crochet or knit, to make cute little dolls and doggy sweaters..But unfortunely, I'm not sure how to do that.

I have been sewing fabrics since High School and I have recently started to make my own patterns. So this is something different and new.

Knitting Nurse
09-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Hello all!
I just bought my first needles #15 10mm and made my first little sample piece. I had a patient whose daughter taught me how to cast on, knit and purl...then I had to get back to work...Do you believe it. Well I am wanting to learn quickly so that I can make spectacular things. This site is awesome because even though I forgot everything she taught me, I relearned it here today! I'll be chatting w/ ya!

spunkycutechic
09-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I am a self taught knitter and new to all this blog stuff. I need all the help and support I can get. I can make some dang messes. I learned to knit (and purl) when I was 7. I dabbled here and there but finally got addicted to it (and yarn) about 10 years ago. I've been riding that horse ever since.:knitting:

I am very out going once I get to know you, so give me a shout out!:happydance:

moryan
09-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Hello everyone, I happened upon this site when I was looking for some help. I just started knitting again. Right now I am working on a sweater for my husband, and hope to have it finished before winter so he could wear it.:knitting:

I will be coming back as often as I can to get help. Thank you for this wonderful site.

Best wishes always and happy knitting

Michellene

helenlou
09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I am so excited finding this site. I knitted years ago and now
am going to pick it up again. Truthfully, I have forgotten
so much. I consider myself a newbie.
I have made several simple things. scarves, throws etc.
Helenlou

Jan in CA
09-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome to KH everyone!! Be sure to check out all the forums we have and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! :thumbsup:

carebear
09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi I'm Cara! I've been Knitting for a few years. My biggest project was a cardigan. I'm looking for help to become better and understand patterns better. Thanks!!!

ClaudiaA
09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi everybody,
my name is Claudia I love knitting and crochet, my mom was a wonderful knitter and loved crochet and taught me how to since I was a child.
I am from Italy where still today in the modern busy world mothers pass their knoledge to daughters and so on. When ten years ago I moved to Florida my challenge was to learn English well enough to be able to read directions on your great magazines for knitting and crochet so I could have "double" inspirations using yours in English and mine in Italian!
I love this site, is a great help for me.
Did you know that in Italy and other mediterannean countries knitting needles are different?
Like language isn't enough;)
Ours are at least 10 inches longer and we keep one needle or both under our armpit, elbows close to the body, we use the throw method.
Is anyone knitting this way?
I cannot find these needles over here at all:sad:
Now that you know my story I hope to hear from all of you.
I will post some pictures with my works.
Claudia

patricelondon
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi. I'm Patrice. SAH unschooling Mom of 3 girls. My 9 year old wanted to learn to knit. So I found someone to teach us and now my dd isn't knitting but I want to learn more,lol.

I just discovered this site and love it.

DorothyDot
09-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi,

Thanks for letting me join this Forum. I've been knitting, crocheting and tatting since childhood. Totally necessary for sanity!

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Dot Pecson

Kim B
09-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Thank you so much for this GREAT place to come when I am totally stumped, which is alot since I just started knitting. A very good friend of mine got me started but she goes to bed early and now I don't have to quit knitting so early because your here all the time with your video's. They are awesome!!! I am so excited to be doing something new for me and so much fun!!

Thanks for your devotion, Amy!

Kim B

Jeremy
09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Welcome Everyone!:hug:

jdhorner
09-18-2007, 12:22 AM
hey everyone,

just wanted to send out a quick hello. in fact, i'll just paste the email i sent to amy earlier today:

Amy,

After googling for quite a while, and checking resources like local bookstores and youtube/google videos, I stumbled upon your site.

After struggling time and time again with getting basic knitting and purling, to the point of basically giving up, your videos saved the day. :)

They are clear, concise, and well shot & narrated. It is almost as though you are even psychic at points. I would ask a question out loud as I was following along, and out would come the answer as though you'd anticipated it in the first place!

Thanks so much. It's due to your other videos as well that I'm more excited than ever to finish my first (garter stitch only) scarf, and move on to something with patterns and new stitches. :)

anyway, i'm 27, married, and living in montreal, quebec. can't wait to get to know you all better.

- Josh

lisae
09-18-2007, 05:30 AM
Hello every-one. Im lisa ive just joined. Im trying to learn to knit. I am not getting very far so i looked for a website where maybe i can meet new people and get some useful tips also. :)

losnana
09-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Be sure to check out the videos at the top of this page, Lisa. They are great!

quazeekat
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum, and boy, and I glad I found it! I have knitted and crocheted all my life, but just simple patterns. I am hoping to take on socks (which have scared me for years) and lacey patterns. I am also looking forward to joining Ravelry...guess the invite list is long!

I live in western NYS between Rochester and Buffalo, so with the anticipation of a long, cold winter I am ready to buckle down with my yarn, needles and hooks!

Jeremy
09-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Welcome everyone. It really pays to know what is in that video section because sooner or later you are going to go back there to learn or relearn something. People also forget about the glossary section which is really great because it links to the videos.

patsfan
09-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I am new to this forum but not new to knitting. I've been knitting ( off and on) since my Mom taught me when I was 9 and I'm (almost)59 now. I still have questions, however, and I find this site invaluable. I often refer friends and family who have knitting questions. Thank you for all your help.

Phyllis

Jeremy
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Welcome Phyllis:hug:

pseudonym
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,
I haven't done any knitting since my niece was a baby and
my sister had me slaving for months on loads of outfits for her. She still has them packed away in a box somewhere.
Oh my god I've just realised how long ago that was. My niece is 18 in October. :aww:
Anyway I decided I couldnt live without a lace knit shawl and it's time I got my needles out again and had a go.
I'm working on find the right yarn and deciding which of the
many beautiful patterns to use. I'll probably use them all at some point but deciding which one to use first is a killer.
I'm based in the U.K. and don't really have a big choice of
yarns etc locally, not like I had way back when anyhow.
Discovered this site on my pattern search and I was impressed by how friendly and helpful everyone is.
:)

Jeremy
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I've already enjoyed some of your other posts. I've mentioned Kiri (http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf) before in other posts.It was designed by a UK knitter. Even if you don't like Kidsilk it sounds like she would give you feedback on other wool that would work well. I'm knitting it right now and really enjoying it. Its a nice balance between boring and having to keep your eye on the chart every second.

pseudonym
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the info but this is one of the patterns making my decision so hard already.
I have to admit it's a lovely shawl and on my shortlist.
I love the kidsilk and any natural yarns like cashmere and silk but who could afford to use them all the time.
When I wasn't making lace bonnets and matinee jackets for
my niece I spent a lot of time knitting with mohair.
I'm not sure about the charts though. None of the patterns
I used for lace designs had charts but I don't suppose it will
be any different from the beadweaving charts I use.
I'm sure I'll be looking for help on this site if I have a problem.
Cheers
Susan

wohlibuli
09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Hello,
I started to learn to knit as a child from my grandmother, but never took it anywhere until know. Both of my kids are in college and it seemed like a good thing to try again. With all the resources on the web I have learned so much in the last few weeks. I have a daughter at UGA and she requests lite airy things made of cotten and silk and I have a son at Ga. Southern who requests heavy Aran style stuff made of bizarre fibers like hemp and bamboo. The videos have been an enormous aid and I can't thank you enough.

Karylon Alford
09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone. I didn't know this site was here. I love to knit and have knitted for about 40 years. I love to try new patterns. Has anyone done any of the felting.

LadyB
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi and welcome to all the new members. :hug:

Liz 14
09-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I have recently been told about this site and have just registered. I have been knitting for a great number of years but even now I still find sometimes I get problems. I am sure there will be someone around here that will be able to help. I am looking forward to joining in and getting to know everyone:muah:

Jeremy
09-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Welcome :hug:

Grandy3
09-21-2007, 12:48 PM
I got an email today from Knitting Help, and remembered why I hadn't posted again since April, 2007. #1 I kept running into "Amy" over and over, which appeared to be a dead end. Then when I managed to post one, I was told I couldn't post to anyone else again on the same day. That was the end of that! Grandy3

karebear1
09-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone! A friend of mine sent me a link to this site as I am in the process of teaching myself to knit. I am a Mom of 4 and is one of the reasons that I am teaching myself to knit. I made my girls sweater sets (in crochet) for Christmas and found an awesome yarn to make a sweater for my son with. The only thing is it can't be crocheted (the yarn that is). So I have always wanted to learn how to knit so here I am. I am very excited to be here and can't wait to get to know you and learn!!

patou
09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
hello to you and thank you for welcoming me.
there seems to be many nice people here and I'd be happy to chat and learn from you. patou:hug:

bacope
09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
This site is wonderful. I have been looking around and will be back daily.
I love to knit and do it so much I had to buy sheep to keep me in fiber.
:knitting:
Thanks,
Beth

flutelady
09-21-2007, 07:13 PM
:note::knitting:Hi everyone! I am 56 years old and have been knitting since I was a child and my Mom taught me how. I also recently taught myself how to crochet as well. I love to make easy projects that go fast or else I tend to never finish it! I have done many scarves for myself and as gifts for people.
I have been looking for an easy shrug pattern, but I have not had any success at that one.
I am happy to be a part of this group.
Do you all chat on here as well? I saw the chat part, clicked on it, and some strange person was on it.
Sincerely,
flutelady (Barbara):note:

Ingrid
09-21-2007, 07:35 PM
:teehee: The strange 'person' you met is a Bot to keep lonely chatters company.:lol:

dturner
09-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi, everyone! Thanks for the great site. A relative taught me to knit when I was probably 10 or 11 years old. I knitted a couple of very simple projects, but lost interest in it after a while. Now, thirty plus years later, I am taking up knitting again. So far I am reviewing and practicing the basics that I learned as a kid. I hope to learn some other stitches, too. Your site has already been a great help! Thanks.
Dottie

Braden
09-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Welcome, everybody!

IceQueen
09-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi everyone! I am a new knitter and I find it completly addicting. I got into knitting a last May when I found out about my high school's knitting club. I didn't want to feel completely lost when I joined so over the summer I taught myself how to knit and have made a couple of scarves as gifts. I hope to learn more in the future. :D

Braden
09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here!

BeckyP
09-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone-I'm new to this site and to posting. I love to knit. My favorite things to knit are socks, and everything to do with babies and children. I am learning to felt a bag so maybe that will be my next fav thing to knit. I am not that computer savy so I hope I did this right.
BeckyP

The.Knitter
09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Great site. I will get a lot of use out of it I am sure. Thanks for spending your time to help people who knit and have questions. This is wonderful.

Hi, I am new to the community but not new to knitting. I have been knitting since I was 26. I have done sweaters, lace baby dresses, cable stitches, aaron knits, baby booties and hats, all kinds of knitting. I have even made a doll. It is a clown and I made it for my sister. My step daughter now gets a hug from her father every time she feels homesick, because I made her a rather large afghan. I created a pattern for a toy for a baby, which goes with a baby blanket when finished. I keep a small album in my knitting bag. It is called my Brag Book and has pictures of all the things I have knit. If someone is trying to decide what they want me to knit, I whip out the Brag Book and show them what some of these things look like when finished.

This site is wonderful. I now know that if I run into trouble there are many fine people willing to help me out of my jam. How do you all do that so much and so well, what with all the time spent knitting?

Thanks Amy for this wonderful site. I have marked in as My Favs and I am sure I will use it a LOT!!!

Picknit
09-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Hi,
I have just joined this forum, I have come from the other side (Crochetville) but after being a long time crocheter who was so frustrated with not finding "new" crochet patterns (no granny stuff) that I have just taught myself how to knit.:happydance:

Jeremy
09-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Great site. I will get a lot of use out of it I am sure. Thanks for spending your time to help people who knit and have questions. This is wonderful.

Hi, I am new to the community but not new to knitting. I have been knitting since I was 26. I have done sweaters, lace baby dresses, cable stitches, aaron knits, all kinds of knitting, but I am stumped. I have a pattern that calls for a stitch I don't know. The line reads K1, [k1, KB1, k1] all in next st., k1 - 5 sts. I have no idea what the KB1 is. Can anyone help?
It looks to me like they are asking you to knit through the back loop on that one. You will end up making three stitches from one. I'm going to copy your post to the Pattern Central forum under the title

"Help with KB1" Look there also for the answer.

Jeremy
09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Welcome to all of our new friends:hug:

hatlover67
09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I consider myself a beginning knitter struggling to become an intermediate. I originally learned to knit when I was 7 or 8, did a few projects in my teens then stopped.

My Mom taught me to knit and she taught my then 8 year old, who kept asking me questions, so I took a refresher class with her and now I find I am somewhat obsessed with knitting. I seem to have a lot of questions, so I'm sure I'll post on the knitting help boards. I'm looking forward to learning from more experienced knitters. Thanks for such a great place to view videos, ask questions, see project that people are working on, etc.

Braden
09-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Welcome, all! I hope you enjoy it here! There are tons of very friendly people.

Cherami
09-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi,
I found this wonderful forum about a year ago when I decided to take up knitting after about 20 years of not touching my needles. And its been a wonderful inspiration to me ever since. Thank you very much for it. I made tons of hats, scarves and mittens,socks, and thanks to discovering it here, fiber trends clogs, and felted purses.
Now I am in the process of knitting log cabin blanket and I keep wondering what I am going to run out of first - yarn or my patience.

tasha59
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
hi everyone my name is tasha59 i m new and would like to say hello to you all

marzydotes
09-24-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm so glad I joined. I've been knitting for years, but usually things with very basic stitches. I've knitted several afghans, baby blankets, hat, scarves, mitten and baby booties. However, I still can't master the art of knitting socks. Working with 4 needles seems kind of scary to me but one of these days I have to overcome my fear and try it.
Your videos seem very helpful too. Thanks for this great site.

Jeremy
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Welcome everyone:hug:

carsophia
09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
hi - thought i'd already posted my intro, but got another e-mail that i needed to introduce myself... [new to posting on blogs - sorry!]
Love this site - i learned to knit in Brazil - 18 years - as an exchange student ... a year or so ago a couple of years go while watching "Knit One, Purl Two" on HGTV, my daughter asked me if i knew how to knit & got me to pick up needles again (dug into my bag & pulled yarn & a project that was seriously old - and tried to knit again!) but, in Brazil they knit with the yarn drapped over the neck... much different than Continental or English styles let me tell you... Without the video help here on this site - i'd be a knitting zero today... but the other day i finished my 4th project - in english... via the Continental style - thank you - and mostly in part to this site. Now i'm teaching my daughter :knitting: & she loves these videos! she's only 8! my husband chuckles at the two of us "old biddies" as he affectionately calls us on the sofa knitting & chatting! my daugher has several friends that want me to teach them! yikes - thanks to everyone! & knit on!

manu
09-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Hi! I'm very happy to join this community! I've learned to knit on circular cable needles watching the videos in the Advanced Tecniques section and I hope to learn new tecniques and tips to!
I'm italian so sorry for my english!
cheers
Manu

tasha59
09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
hi my name is tasha59 and i m new to the site

Jeremy
09-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

Knit4Pie
09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi, I've only really started to knit early this year. I started with blankets, and then graduated to an easy halter and skirt for my 3-year old daughter. I've done a couple pairs of gloves, and am currently working on a cardigan for myself. I only recently taken the plunge with dpns (the gloves) and the cardigan is my first attempt with circular needles. So far so good!

As stated, I have a 3-year-old daughter, Piper, and I live in Farnham, Quebec, Canada. Knitting relaxes me. I'll even keep going when I hit a snag, something that in anything else, makes me give up in frustration. I'd say it's good for me, therapeutic, and I have to continue LOL:knitting:

bev.fromiowa
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Good afternoon, I am Bev from Iowa. After 20 some odd years of crocheting, I decided this was the year to learn to knit. I started out with hats and recently moved on to trying lace. Stoles shawls and hats are my passion. I donate many of my hats thru the university I work for. Alot of the donated items go to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation or to local schools.
I have learned alot from this site and will enjoy taking part in
the forums. Happy knitting to all Bev

PurlyGyrl
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
:waving:Welcome to all our new members!

knittycat
09-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello,

I'm a fairly new knitter and I have been a member for a short while, but I never posted, so I thought I would finally say hi to everyone. I hail from California, but now live in Texas. I would like to design my own patterns one day, but my creative mind works a lot better than my actual knitting skills. :) I hope I can count you all for help for help with my x-mas gifts.

Knittycat

Gspice
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi I am new to this site. I am Gspice 26 years ago and expecting my first child.

I repicked up knitting, basically a scarfs when I did it long ago. I forgot how to cast on and did a google search but there aren't many vidoes since I am a visual learner. I found this site and it saved my baby blanket, even though I had to restart it, because the cast on wasn't right. Now it's coming out GREAT!!!

:muah: Thanks for the videos they saved my future stitching. :muah:

zlw
09-25-2007, 11:32 PM
well...i literally just started knitting 2 hours ago and already have a fairly good piece going.....seems like knitting will keep me out of trouble......i am 19 and in college at Vol State Community College....i wanted to start knitting when i saw one of my friends (also male) knitting this huge blanket...he started knitting because it got him off of drugs and kept him occupied.....this blanket was amazing.........not only that but i want to be one of those people who has done everything....if someone is like...."i wish i knew what this was like before i put money into it"...i can jump in there and be like well i've done that.....ok....thats my knitting half

Jeremy
09-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Good afternoon, I am Bev from Iowa. After 20 some odd years of crocheting, I decided this was the year to learn to knit. I started out with hats and recently moved on to trying lace. Stoles shawls and hats are my passion. I donate many of my hats thru the university I work for. Alot of the donated items go to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation or to local schools.
I have learned alot from this site and will enjoy taking part in
the forums. Happy knitting to all Bev

Bev, you might be interested in our Charity Knitting forum. Welcome.

Jeremy
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Welcome to all of our new members:hug: