PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RoseFairy
09-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a new knitter. I just started learning about a week ago. I'm still getting the basics down. I'm still knitting my first object, a square (apparently a huge one, it's 14" across in knit sitch) It will hopefully be added together with other squares to make a blanket, though, I may run out of yarn for 2 squares of the same color. The yarn is from a pack of skeins of random colors that I bought possibly 4-6 years ago.

I've wanted to learn to knit for a long time now (obviously by my purchase of a pack of yarn), and I tried to learn from books but they confused me and I kept giving up. But last week I found someone from work that knows how to knit and she's teaching me now :)

I found this site the other day and I'm happy since if I ever get stuck, or lose confidence I'm hoping that I can come here for advice. And some reassurace at times. Sorry for rambling on. I hope that I can get along with everyone.

Jeremy
09-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the Forum. If you want to see some interesting combinations of yarns, take a look at some of the odd ball charity afghans in the Charity Knitting forum. The seeming randomness makes them really beautiful and interesting. So don't be afraid to mix it up.

moody
09-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Hello,
My name is Tonya! I am completely new to knitting, but want to give it a try to make my 6mt old some pants for this winter! I look forward to chatting and learning with you!

Tonya

marcelaquintana
09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi this is Marcela from Portland OR does somebody know how to join in the round after you cast stitches in circular needles?
Please help

hortonx5
09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Hello, I've been knitting for about five years now. My mom tried to show me when I was a teenager, but it just didn't stick. So I taught myself by using a book...that was the English method. I didn't knit anything for about two years, and when I decided to start again I couldn't remember how to cast on. I came across knittinghelp.com and learned to knit Continental (since I couldn't remember how I'd done it before anyway, lol). I think Continental makes more sense...at least to me.

To introduce myself, my name is Cindy and I live in West Virginia. I've been married to Jon for eight years, and we have two sons. Nicholas is six and James is three. I'm expecting our third son sometime in January. We plan to name him Robert unless something else wonderful comes to mind.

I always knit things for the kids, I've never done anything for myself or my husband. I knit numerous wool soakers for James when he was a baby, and I've started doing the same for Robert. I like to knit in the round when possible since purling is so slow for me.

Currently I have four projects going. On circs, I'm doing a pair of wool longies for the baby and a wool wet bag for his dirty diapers when we're out (we use cloth). On straights, I'm doing a sweater for James and a diaper bag for the baby. The things on the straights are going sooo slow! I wish I could speed it up somehow. The sweater is the first I've ever attempted, so I'm hoping it will turn out well and wearable.

I have a question about the sweater pattern, which is the main (okay, only) reason I joiend the forums. So I'll head over to the questions area and ask...

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Cindy in WV

alida
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Hello everybody, I just found this website last night and am thrilled I did...I'm a beginner knitter and always stayed away from more complicated projects because I didn't know certain stitches and many other things. Now with the videos, I feel more confident to tackle more projects. So, thank you. QUESTION: On the vw hat, I'm using worsted acrylic as suggested but when doing the logo the directions call for 2 strands of Paton's white twinkle...I have worsted white yarn for logo, medium (4), should I use 1 strand or 2 when doing logo? :happydance:

iknitter
09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm a newish knitter, I love making hats and am about to cast on my first baby hat! I'm also looking for a good knitting group in Chicago, any suggestions?

losnana
09-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi this is Marcela from Portland OR does somebody know how to join in the round after you cast stitches in circular needles?
Please help

Check out amy's videos on this forum: the Advanced Tab at the top of this page.

Fuseila
09-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi everybody, I am a knitter from Spain and I am really glad I found you.
I would say I am a beginner knitter because I had not knit for 20 years until I started again this past February. I used to do incredible things 20 years ago but now I am back to the basics.
I hope to get to know all of you better.

:muah:Laura

cassie
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
My name is cassie and I have just joined "the club." I have been knitting for years and I like to try new patterns. I have come across on that I can't quite figure out. The quilted lattice stitch. In the pattern you have to "k4, insert needle under loose strand and knit next stitch, bringing stitch out under strand; k5". The url for the pattern www.knittingfool.com. Can anyone help!!!

JingleBell
09-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Hello! I've just discovered this site and thank goodness! The videos are going to help tremendously, and I'm so excited to have found such an active online community of knitters! My 16 year old daughter and I have just begun trying to knit using "teach yourself" books, and we're already addicted! She's doing better than I am with it so far, but I think she'll be just as excited about the videos on this site as I am when she gets home from school and I show them to her. We're both absolute beginners, but I hope that will change quickly. I'm so looking forward to getting to know people here, and thank you so much!

Juliane

imotep
09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi, I'm from Northwest Indiana and I've been knitting for about 2 weeks. I used some videos i found on youtube to show me how to start. Right now I know how to cast on, knit, and purl, I'm going to try and learn how to bind off today at some point. I'm making a mat for my cat to lay on while I practice technique. Anyone here from around my way?

stitchkid
09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
I really love this site. I watched the videos several times a couple of years back. Then I got tendonitis and it took two years to heal. Over the years one thing or another side-tracked my getting beyond knit and purl.
But, I'm like Arkady Renko in my favorite Martin Cruz Smith novels. I don't know when I'm beat, so I keep coming back.
I have been a sewer, garment maker for decades. I'm learning to quilt for the first time too. I'm only working about half time now, so even with a new, first grandson, I have time to get up to speed on working with my hands, which is my hearts ease.
I look forward to getting beyond the starting line.

Carla

kc1005
09-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi-I'm actually just jumping in & have posted a question re. a sweater jacket I am making. Looks like another had a similar question & I am sure hoping someone can help me!

I'm Chris, sahm to 2(ds 11, dd8), married to dh for 16 yrs. My neighbor taught me to knit ~3 yrs ago--she learned while in elementary school--they were knitting socks for the soldiers at war! Needless to say, she is great w/ basics, but anything "newer" & I lose her for help.

I'll check in tomorrow--time for the kids to get to bed.

pauly81
09-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I am not new to this site, but I didn't know where to ask this question about the forum. Why do the people on this site have a statis like junior member, member, senior member? Does it change , and when? do you have a list of what the different statis's meen??

Ingrid
09-27-2007, 09:52 PM
I am not new to this site, but I didn't know where to ask this question about the forum. Why do the people on this site have a statis like junior member, member, senior member? Does it change , and when? do you have a list of what the different statis's meen??

It has to do with the number of posts you have. We're trying to change it up to something more fun.

pauly81
09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
I just became a senior member and I am really exicited. I don't know if it means much, but it does to me.

wandersfar
09-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Hello!

I've been a fan of this site for a while now (at least a year or two) but I've never joined the forum until tonight. Not sure why... I guess I've come to think of this site as a general video-tutorial resource and forgot that there even was a forum attached to it.

But now I have a question that google hasn't helped me with, so I turn to this community of knowledgeable knitters.

Anyway, about my (knitting) self: I've been knitting for over four years. I was initially taught how to knit English at my college's club, but then went on to learn how to purl from books and then dove into aran knitting, slip-stich patterns, and eventually lace, fair-isle & intarsia using online tutorials (like the ones on this site).

I learned how to knit Continental from this site when I wanted to try two-handed fair-isle, and now it's my go-to method for most (uncomplicated) knitting. (I knit English for a long time after I'd learned both methods, but recently switched to primarily Continental when my hands started to bother me. I'm only 22 -- carpal tunnel shouldn't be setting in yet!)

I'm remarkably non-prolific, I frog probably about half of anything I make just because... well, knitting for me is more about "can I do it?" then "look what I made!" if you know what I mean. Like, the final product usually isn't as fulfilling as the whole process that went into it. And inevitably, I look at something I made and see all the imperfections or just things that can be improved upon, and I end up making the same item over and over again until it's just so. I guess I'm a bit OCD, heh.

I also get obsessed by certain stitch patterns. The first cable pattern I ever learned was the Saxon Braid; I saw a picture of it in a book and committed myself to learning aran knitting just so I could replicate that swatch. And then of course I had to incorporate that pattern into practically everything I made... for the next two years. Friends and family started to comment, "oh, you're doing that pattern again".

And then I became obsessed with argyle, and learned intarsia just to reproduce that pattern. (I find intarsia too fiddly to work, though, so I never became argyle-obsessed the way I was with the Saxon Braid. I hate any technique where you have to cut the yarn a lot, probably because I hate weaving-in ends and doing other finishing work. Oh, and also because you're "committed" once you've cut the yarn. It's not like Fair Isle, where you can just frog back and rewind to two or more whole, beautiful balls of color. No, you frog and you're stuck with short little worthless strands that are useless for anything except MORE intarsia. It's a vicious cycle!)

And... that's me. Or at least the knitting part of me, which is a huge part of how I identify myself. I am woman. See me knit. :p

mrslindso
09-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Hey everyone, I haven't looked online since I started knitting and tonight I finally decided to only because I messed up on binding off. I binded off one to many times and now I am only ONE stitch short of what I need to be...how aggravating! It's better than having a whole row messed up I suppose.

Anyway, I'm 23 years old and I live in Las Vegas, NV. I oringially am from Milwaukee, Wisconsin but moved to Vegas because I was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base. I am now out of the military since April 2007 and couldn't have made a better decision. I have since become happier and realize that life does bring great things! I have been blinded by the military to that. Most people say that about their sins and whatnot and that religion brings light to their life. Nope, not me, just getting out of the military helped me lol. :)

I am married now for a year and a half and absolutely love being married. I love having to come home to someone and know that every night I am getting held by my strong husband and am completely and utterly safe. :woohoo:

I have two cats, named Gracie (5 years old) and Dog (1 year old), they're my children. I talk about them like they're my kids and unlike people who own dogs, I don't dress them up. They're cats in the first place, they hate everything, I might as well stop while I'm ahead!! :)

I think that's about it!! I hope to get to know a lot of you and learn A LOT!! Message me ANYTIME!! :)

:heart:
Lindsay

mrslindso
09-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Your post made me laugh. :) I like the I am Woman. See me knit! How clever! :)

Anahata
09-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Good Morning/Afternoon/or Evening ... :sun: :star:

I am new to this site, though not new to knitting. I live in the North East and both love to knit and write. I look forward to meeting you and chatting.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Anahata :knitting:

alltiedupinknots
09-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi. I'm alltiedupinknots and I'm a knitter. I'm here to confess that in the past I would invest in a project, finish it
and not like the results, not fix it and forget about knitting for a while. When Harry Potter became the rage and I had an 4 yr. old nephew, I knit him a scarf. Success! Since then I've abandoned several projects all of which call to me from the knitting baskets I have on the hearth in my living room because I don't sit down with them.

I got the book KNITTING IN PLAIN ENGLISH and it made a lot of sense to me. I tried the doll sweater and it came out very well.

My heart yearns to knit. I don't take the time. That's why I haven't posted before now. I hope by telling you this I will find new commitment with you as my support group.

Thanks for reading all of this.

donna2kayak
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I love this site.. I actually learned to knit using the video tutorials here..They were such a great help. Thank you!
I am about to start my first cable hat. I have made a few scarves. I plan on making some gifts for Christmas.
Just wanted to say HI

wandersfar
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks Lindsay!

I love your cat's name -- Dog. Ha! I love ironic pet names. :p

And if you don't want to knit cat clothing (I don't blame you, four paws full of angry claws don't make for dressing-up fun) you can always knit cat toys. I know knitty.com has some patterns... here you go (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTdimsum.html).

I have three darling "kids" myself: Sailor, my 13-year-old black Lab, Lily, my 2 & 1/2-year-old yellow (really white) Lab, and the new baby, Persephone, a 3-month-old "shepherd/hound mix" (that's what the shelter said, but I think she's a beagle/german shepherd, or at least she looks like one).

I've been itching to do a dog sweater myself, but my older dog is too ornery to submit to yarn-based humiliation and my little puppy will probably grow out of the thing before I finish knitting it.

Which leaves Lily. Mwahahaha. I think my next project will be a tweaked version of the "Howl" sweater from Stitch n' Bitch, only with a fleur-de-lis on the back... a lily, get it? Tehehe. My little girl doesn't know what she's in for. :p

~WF

wandersfar
09-28-2007, 10:52 AM
alltiedupinknots, I know exactly how you feel. I also love starting up a half-dozen projects at once, and maybe one, if that, gets finished from the whole bunch. I think the only reason why I finish old projects is to free up the needles... it's either that or frogging, though of course that just adds to the stash...

Did you do your HP project as a tube scarf? I have some friends who started knitting it that way and it took months; some never finished, I could see why. I doubt I could ever finish something like that... endless rounds of nothing but stockinette. Yikes. Give me a quick-and-easy rib scarf any day.

lelvsdgs
09-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Hello! My name is Lee and I've been knitting for almost 40 years, egads, that makes me feel old! I have recently gotten back into knitting with both feet due to a new and stressful job. Knitting allows me to relax and take away the frustrations of the day.
I am currently working on a sweater for my special friend and am chomping at the bit to get a pair of socks cast on. Got to finish the sweater first, it's a birthday gift. I am excited to be here to learn more and make knitty friends.
Lee

knittinwitch
09-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi all! I am new to this forum and am looking forward to gaining and passing my knowledge to others. I am a fairly new knitter (a year or so now) so am eager to learn more, new and creative things to do with knitting. :)

chackler
09-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi there, I just joined, wonderful site! :woot:

Steph4136
09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi all! My name is Stephanie and I've been knitting for a few years now. My mom is visiting me and stumbled upon this site, we were going to try the Braided Hat Pattern that's displayed on the Free Pattern page...but it only sent me to the message boards.

Does anyone know where I can get this particular pattern?

Thanks!

Ok....I found it on my own! Looking forward on getting started on my new project. :)

losnana
09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Alltiedupinknots, Knitting in Plain English is one of my favorite books. I'm taking it to be bound with a coil thing because it is so well-read that the pages are coming out.

Neveen
09-29-2007, 08:01 AM
hello there!:hug:
i'm new around here, i'm Neveen, 19 years old, female *sure:mrgreen:*, from Egypt:thumbsup:
i love:knitting: since childhood but only learned the knitting stitch, then after years i have learned the purl stitch, and now i'm learning some other stitches, and i can do: cable stitch, "rice" stitch, and other stitches i don't know the names in english:aww::mrgreen:

i found the site by luck,was looking for how to read patterns, but i got in that site:teehee:, and i found nice stuff and i liked to be a member here:aww::muah:

neveen
:muah::muah::muah::muah::muah:

Jeremy
09-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Welcome Neveen.:hug:

Neveen
09-30-2007, 11:24 AM
thank u Jeremy:mrgreen:

lyrakristine
09-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Hello hello! I'm glad to be here. My name is Lyra and I am currently obsessed with knitting baby sweaters (I have a little one due this December). I'm really looking forward to learning and sharing with everyone here. :)

Lyra
----
http://lyrakristine.blogspot.com

katmlittle
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
I cannot figure how to pickup and knit 11 stitches up front right neck, knit across 9 stitches of back neck ,then pick up and knit 11 stitches down left front neck. I am adding a hoodie to a sweater. the pattern is on page 74 of the new knit1, fall 2007. Anyone?

WildMountainHoney
09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
So glad some other knitters (from another board, hiya SE ladies) suggested I look here when I had some questions! :happydance:

I'm brand new to knitting in the past......oh, maybe 4 weeks? And tackling a bunch of stuff just 'cause! So far have a bunch of doll blankets for the kids (have found a small 12x24in blanket is great for practicing!) and just made a funky furry scarf for me, boa for my daughter, and even ventured into dpns to make my son a hat. Of course now my husband wants me to learn to use more than one color at a time :O so I might be here a lot! Plus, I'm not sure i understand my gauge.....off to ask that question now!

JoJo15
10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I've just registered and I wanted to say 'hi'. I'm 35 and live just outside London in the UK. I've been knitting and crocheting since I was quite young but go through phases so I'm not particularly advanced! I'm currently knitting Christmas presents for my family and it's the first time I've picked my needles up in years so it's a slow, but enjoyable, process. Anyway, 'hi'!

Jeremy
10-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I cannot figure how to pickup and knit 11 stitches up front right neck, knit across 9 stitches of back neck ,then pick up and knit 11 stitches down left front neck. I am adding a hoodie to a sweater. the pattern is on page 74 of the new knit1, fall 2007. Anyone?

Welcome to the Forum. We actually have a Pattern section here where you can get a lot more help on this kind of problem. I'm going to copy your question and post it there under the title "Help interpreting the pattern for new knit1 hoodie" It sounds like you have a bunch of bound off stitches off which you are going to create your hoodie. In order to connect the two sections of picked up stitches you are going to knit across a section of live stitches.

phlyer
10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
I am so happy to have found this site.I am fairly new at knitting and know that this site will come in very handy.

joebju
10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi all!
I just joined today and wanted to say Hi:woot:
I would consider myself an intermediate knitter. I am currently hooked on dishcloths. I don't have a lot of time and big projects tend to overwhelm me and wind up unfinished. I am currently working on a blankie for my niece (using dishcloth patterns, lots of little projects...lol) I would like to find any dishcloth patterns for dance. She is in jazz and ballet. does anyone know of where I can get this pattern?

Amy - I wish this site was around when I was learning. I am self taught and this would have made it a lot easier. :knitting:

Jeremy
10-01-2007, 06:39 PM
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php

Welcome to the Forum. That link might be a start. You can also ask for help in the Pattern Central forum here. To get you started, I copied your post and put it there under the title "Dancing Dishcloth Pattern?"

Jeremy
10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Welcome to all of our new members :hug:

apriley41006
10-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Hello, I'am just learning how to do this, and I'am really lost when it comes to Casting off, or binding off. I'am not sure which one it is, but I made a scarf, but have no idea how to fishied the product.

losnana
10-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi all!
I just joined today and wanted to say Hi:woot:
I would consider myself an intermediate knitter. I am currently hooked on dishcloths. I don't have a lot of time and big projects tend to overwhelm me and wind up unfinished. I am currently working on a blankie for my niece (using dishcloth patterns, lots of little projects...lol) I would like to find any dishcloth patterns for dance. She is in jazz and ballet. does anyone know of where I can get this pattern?

Amy - I wish this site was around when I was learning. I am self taught and this would have made it a lot easier. :knitting:

Check out this site too. It is all dishcloths.
http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html

hris
10-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello,
Thanks for letting me join, I am very excited about this website.
Have a great night
Chris

crandles
10-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm a self taught advanced beginner almost intermediate knitter who will be forwarding this site to all of my knitting friends! The videos are an exciting find for me. I'll be sure to post when I'm in need of help and hopefully, if I can help someone out.

Amy, you're my new hero!!

Take care,
Cindi Randles
Tustin, CA

Theresa
10-02-2007, 05:55 AM
I am really excited that I found this site! I've been knitting for about 5 years and love it! After losing my job I decided it was time to do something enjoyable. Started a home-based business "Ewe-Nique Boutique" offering knitting classes in my home. Also have a booth at a local Country Sampler store selling knitted items/classes. This fall I began teaching knitting classes through Adult Community Ed at one of our high schools (evenings) and also at a Historical Society in a small town near my home (days). I have a lot to learn myself and look forward to using your site for help! Any tips/info on teaching would be appreciated!

checca
10-02-2007, 11:43 AM
what a helpful site! Thanks for all the videos!

Becca

Jeremy
10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome to all of our new members :hug:

Bettree
10-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I just discovered this site and am very excited to dive into it! I love to knit, spin and just learned to weave. I haven't decided whether I am a weaver-person yet. I am also a "llama person" and generally love all things fiber. I am sure I will learn some useful tips from this forum. It feels friendly already! THANKS! Betty :knitting:

risharyn
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
My name is Sharyn and I have been knitting for many years.I like to try new things in knitting and now that I have a grand-daughter, I'm making many girly things. I'd like to add a new dimension to my work and make the items I knit become more interesting. I hope I can find a lot of inspiration in this group.:knitting:

Thanks, Sharyncloud9

Jeremy
10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Welcome :hug:

jlwordell
10-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi I am Jeanne and need help with my knitting technique. The scarf I did fro Creative Knitting had a fringe but it started out ok then got smaller as I unravelled the ends. Did I knit at a different tension each time to cause this?

Jeremy
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi Welcome to the forum. :hug: I'm not sure what you mean by unraveling but its very common for a beginner to have tension problems. Just keep knitting and your tension will get consistent. Amy has some very good suggestions on holding tension on her demonstration of the knit stitch. Knitters do this differently all over the world including putting the yarn around their neck, so anyway that you're happy with and does the job is just fine.

finnishknitter
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi fellow knitters,
I'm a finnish knitter and recently started reading english patterns. I love to think that knitting seems to get more and more popular everywhere. Here in Finland it has been mostly women that knit and crochet but nowadays there are a lot of boys that crochet their own caps.

Zvaella
10-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been watching for some time now and I finally decided to join you for real! I'm a fairly new knitter, but I love it and it helps me relax between school and work. So far I've done only a few pieces, but I'm planning on more quite soon :)

See you all around :muah:

RuDucky
10-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Thank you for such a wonderful and helpful site! I recently learned to knit with the aid and encouragement from an online friend in a crochet group and the videos from this site-she promptly supplied us with the link to this site!!! Again, thank you for the wonderful instruction videos and I haven't given up on knitting. Keep up the wonderful work. Alesia

sharjm5@verizon.net
10-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi! I'm really new to this forum-type stuff, so excuse and and all of my boo-boos!!!!! I learned to knit when I was 3 (I'm now 60) and how to make cables when I was 5 (my kindergarten teacher didn't believe me when I told her I had done something I showed her, until she spoke with my aunt who had taught me knitting). I enjoy knitting a lot. For a few years I put it aside and went into quilting, but I'm back and hooked on my knitting. I really enjoy teaching others how to START knitting. My first students (older than me!) are making some wonderful things and really don't believe they have the "time" to just knit squares and want to MAKE things! Okay, I can handle that! I have them make sweaters! Simple sweaters for themselves or loved ones and I FORCE them to use GOOD yarn. I'm also a strong believer and user of bamboo circular needles, so I try to pass this on. They usually have straight metal needles. By the time I've worked with them a few weeks, they usually switch over to the "wooden" circular needles. I just started a lady out and she made herself a warm sweater/jacket. She had someone else (that's okay) to start teaching her and had her working on a sweater/jacket with a WOLF pattern knitting on the back! NOT A SMART IDEA! Too difficult and the lady learning this stuff got really frustrated and showed it to me. The picture of the wolf was very puckered and she and I agreed that I would take over and I made the picture of the wolf for her and then handed the seater back to her to finish. She did, too! And her final project is beautiful! She did a WONDERFUL job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I commend her loudly and often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other other thing I did was to make the sweater/jacket a little larger for her (the other person had chosen a size 32 for her and she really needed a little more than that to be able to zip it up the front! So I had HER knit 2 panels to match the zipper panels and had her sew them on to the others to make the center plaques for the zipper, larger. She fits into it very nicely, now! I am EXTREMELY PLEASED with what she has done!!!!!! Now, I have her working on a sweater for her granddaughter that is a very simple one, but that has a very FEW cables as decorations on it. The hardest thing? She wants to read ALL the directions and go by them EXACTLY (even if she misinterprets them). So, we often go BACK over the instructions, but then I COVER THE TEXT and force her to LOOK AT THE PICTURES OF THE END RESULTS OF THE FRONT AND BACK STYLES. This is not easy for her, but my hand covers the text quite quickly and easily. She is doing very well and is now working on the sleeves (the back and front are finished). This is in a hot pink and will be very well liked by her granddaughter! She decided on it because I had just made one for MY granddaughter in Florida (in cotton yarn). This nice lady is a good friend of mine, now (I didn't know her, before this) and when I absolutely REFUSED to accept any money from her for helping her with the wolf sweater/jacket, she went out and bought me a KIT for knitting a lace-aran sweater for me oldest daughter. Yee-godfrey! And now I'll have to do THAT one!!!!!!! Well, I have to finish another sweater I'm making, first, and a pair of mittens for another friend. But I won't be able to run away from that sweater kit!

Okay, and now I have ALSO learned something new, too!!!! Another friend of mine has introduced me to the Magic Loop knitting (using a 36" or 40" circular needle) and making socks! I learned this 2 months ago and now I have four pair of socks for Christmas presents! This is fun!!!!!

Question for you all: does anyone have a pattern for knitting mittens with a "hidden" thumb? One that does NOT stick out from the side of the mitten? I'd like to use this type of pattern and knit them using the magic loop method. (I always like something different -- I'm not THAT old, yet!) Anyone got any ideas?????? You can reach me at sharjm5@verizon.net if you want to.

I met a quilting lady via a forum like this one, nine years ago and she lives in Florida (I'm in New Hampshire)! A little difference in locations! Well, we e-mailed each other, talked on the phone, wrote cards, and became VERY good friends! She came up and visited us for 3 weeks last fall!!!!!! She was wonderful and we just KNEW we would get along FABULOUSLY, and we DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I'm ready for a knitting pal, no matter where from! My son is in Florida (not anywhere near my friend, though; and my youngest daughter now lives in Alaska. Changes in latitudes, eh?! Well, that doesn't stop us staying close and I'm not afraid of long distances with friends, either. I would just LOVE to "talk" with one or more of you!!!!!!

Knitting is my thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope to hear from someone soon!

Shari
:happydance:
:yay:
:cheering:
:woohoo:

peteysgirl
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
:grphug:
Hi to all! I am a new knitter and am finding it to be so rewarding! I was a crocheter for years and just discovered how the 2 crafts overlap. I have a really cool bag that I am working on and I am stuck. Can you help decipher the pattern?

*Work 2nd row of Panel Pat.**P8. Rep from * once, then fromm * to ** once.

2nd row Panel Pat. Knit all knit stitches and purl all purl stitches as they appear.

This is a white bag with 2 styles of cables. Here is my question. I don't understand where the P8 fits in. Can anyone experienced make sense of this? I could scan the whole pattern into the thread if this would help.

Thanks so much.

Dee:knitting:

RosemaryM
10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi everybody! I just found this site tonight, and am so happy to find you. :cheering: I'm from the Philadelphia area, I'm married and we have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I've been knitting for more than half my life (I started in my early 20s), and have just recently added spinning to my list of addictions. As for the knitting, I do socks, lace shawls, scarves, sweaters.... I'm usually up for any knitting challenge, especially if I can learn a new technique I didn't know before. I have so many WIP's it's ridiculous, but lately I've been concentrating on sock knitting. I love the fact that they're so portable and so quick to knit up. And the yarns available are too hard to resist. That's it for me. I'm just so thrilled to find some playmates! lol

FiberFan
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi everone,
I have been using this site for awhile now. I started knitting two years ago and any time I run into something new this site always has the answer. I will soon be teaching a knitting class at the local community college and I am sure my students will find this site a great resource.

sharjm5@verizon.net
10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
How many stitches do you work in each row? Is it possible that the cable could be P2, k4, p2? (that's your 8 stitches), but I need to know more.

Shar
:knitting:

ladyjessica
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Wow. I've been to this site before but I never realized there was a forum attached to it. I guess I should pay more attention. I've been knitting for about 4 years and I'm kind of starting to crochet a little bit (Knitting is still my preference, though). I'm really looking forward to meeting other knitters and getting some much needed help at times. :woot:

risala
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself - lurked here on occasion and decided to join.

I've been knitting for about 4 years - I learned as a little girl (like so many of us!) but didn't stick with it. I picked it back up at 22 years old and never looked back!

My favorite things to knit are socks, glittens, and any kind of toddler/baby items. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I don't love knitting sweaters for myself.

Anyway, hello to everyone and looking forward to meeting you!

imsausy
10-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I am from Toronto, ON and have been knitting since the age of 10. So after (lol) years of knitting, one would think I know what I am doing. Nope. Still making mistakes, actually I think I was a lot better as a young one.

Perhaps I will find out via this site, what I have been doing wrong that just makes my projects turn out kinda sloppy.

Right now however I am looking for a hat pattern worked on circular needles.

I am off to explore..... I look forward to meeting u and gaining some useful tips in the near future.
Take care

Marj
10-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi, my name is Marjorie. That ID was taken so I am using my nickname, Marj.

I've been lurking here for a year now but have finally decided to join. I and a single woman and will be 47 in a couple of weeks. I discoverd this site September of last year when I decided to try knitting again.

My older sister had taught me to knit & crochet when I was around 15 but I never got the hang of casting on so I stuck to crocheting. I've been crocheting ever since.

I found this site while looking for casting on videos since I just wasn't getting the hang of the instructions for the long-tail cast-on from books. I've been lurking here ever since.

This sitte has helped me with my knitting a whole lot. I love the videos. Thanks Amy.

I could go on and on but I won't. for now.

alatheacassia
10-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Hello, my name is Mia, I am from Kansas but currently stationed in Japan with my husband and two sons. I am sooo glad to have found your website, I have been interested in trying knitting for a long time. I really don't know where to start, but there is lots of information here on the website. Any help would still be appreciated though. :)

LilyB
10-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Hello Everyone:

I am a new to knitting and looking for help to move beyond scarves and simple
caps. I have more now than I know what to do with. I do not have the courage to give them as gifts yet because most look like they were purchased from the dollar store.

I live in Baton Rouge and have not found a knitting group to join but I am looking. I look forward to learning from all the members of this forum and hopefully one day be able to share with someone who is in the novice position that I am today.

Thanks for being here.

LilyB

Lorien
10-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Dear all,

I am a new knitter and really loving it - find it creative, therapeutic, maddening at times, and just plain fun!

My biggest issue is still reading and deciphering patterns. Along those lines, I have two burning questions. On a current project, the pattern says to "purl into the back of the stitch" - I tried this and the result was odd looking so I think I may have done it wrong. Can someone tell me how to purl into the back of a stitch?

Second, on a buttonhole area, the pattern said to cast off three stitches (to form the buttonhole area). I did this with no problem BUT then the next row said to "cast on" three stitches over the prior "hole" area. I have NEVER cast on in mid work - only at the beginning of a knitted piece. How do you do this in the middle of a work? Do you simply make a slip knot and place it on the needle in your right hand?

Thanks for any help with this fellow knitters.

Lorien

CognizantAmiga
10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Hello to all!

I am excited to be learning to knit and crochet. I have been going at it for about a month now and seem to be getting it. I am almost finished with a very simple scarf. I came looking for help and I have found it here. Just a little about me (in case anyone reads this :) ) I am a 31 year old mother of two young children. I live in TN and enjoy many kinds of crafting (I am seriously wondering what in the world I am doing getting into another one!)

Well that is about me. Looking forward to being involved.

jenlee
10-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi I 've been knitting for about three years now and love it .
I taught myself after a girl at work started selling fun fur scarfs for 25 dollars & I thought I could figure out how to do that ,so thats how I started. I have looked at this site for awhile now and think its wonderful its really helped me out at times with the vidios or reading the forums to see if someone has the :same questions I do .Thanks:

SURAH
10-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Greetings,
Thanks for being here to help wth my questions.
Suhra from Albany, New York.

WildAnimus
10-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Tanya. I recently started knitting again after a year hiatus due to many life changes and learning other crafts. But I'm back, baby!

I love knitting (duh), particularly anything that involves cables or lace. I also love knitting in one color. Even though I've been knitting for about 2-3 years, I've been way too scared to try fair isle or intarsia.

By the way, I used to visit these forums and lurk around a couple of years ago and I can't believe all the changes. It looks amazing around here.

Tanya

Pegasus97030
10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I am fairly new to knitting and am teaching myself as I go along. I have only created a couple of "things", but want to do so much more. I have a couple of projects I want to accomplish and knew I would have questions as I went along, so I thought I would join this group cuz I heard it was the greatest place to go, and with lots and lots of support, from people just like me. I can hardly wait to get started! Thanks for having a place for people like me to go to....
~K~

Panda
10-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi! Glad to see a knitting site. :D I love pandas, and am searching for some new panda patterns!

sugarfunpouch
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Welcome everyone!

leebar964
10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Lee and I have been interested in fibers for a long time. I crochet, knit and now I am spinning. Looking forward to sharing with you all!
Lee

Rhosyn
10-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone! Just found this website and I'm so thankful!

I decided to learn to knit last winter and made a cute little scarf for my son. I had attempted to make a lovely scarf for myself as well, but chose the "stockinette" stitch and ended up with a tube.. lol. So, I gave it up for awhile but now I'm back and committed to learning this!

Right now, I'm working with practice projects - squares and such with different kinds of stitches. I saw a pattern online for a little christmas tree ornament and I'd love to make some of those but didn't understand the shorthand used in the directions, heh. I have so much to learn!

Thanks for having this fantastic website!
:yay:

Jeremy
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Dear all,

I am a new knitter and really loving it - find it creative, therapeutic, maddening at times, and just plain fun!

My biggest issue is still reading and deciphering patterns. Along those lines, I have two burning questions. On a current project, the pattern says to "purl into the back of the stitch" - I tried this and the result was odd looking so I think I may have done it wrong. Can someone tell me how to purl into the back of a stitch?

Second, on a buttonhole area, the pattern said to cast off three stitches (to form the buttonhole area). I did this with no problem BUT then the next row said to "cast on" three stitches over the prior "hole" area. I have NEVER cast on in mid work - only at the beginning of a knitted piece. How do you do this in the middle of a work? Do you simply make a slip knot and place it on the needle in your right hand?

Thanks for any help with this fellow knitters.

Lorien

Hi Lorien, welcome to the forum. There is a video on how to purl through the back loop. http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/

Second, you can cast on in the middle of the work by doing a backward loop cast on shown in this video
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php

Jeremy
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Welcome to all of our new members :hug: Please feel free to bounce around. Some areas that are particularly helpful for questions in the How to forum as well as the video sections. There are also many videos in the glossary section.

pats59
10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi....
I have been knitting on and off for about 30 yrs.... I am very glad that I found this site and look forward to being part of the knitting community

championcharlie
10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Hiya! I'm Charlie, a 30 year old knitter from Manchester, England.

My Mam and Gran first taught me to knit when I was about seven but I didn't pick up the sticks again until last Jan.

I'm now obsessive about knitting!

I am also really into dyeing yarn and am setting up an etsy store soon.

I have also started a blog to show off my work (and mistakes). Check me out, comments are most welcome! purlcity.blogspot.com

Becky Morgan
10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi! I just stumbled onto the forums. I'm 49, have been knitting and crocheting for about forty years now, and will gladly offer unsolicited advice until you all tell me to shut up <g> :knitting:

--Becky

reetz
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
This is my first time to post. I am hoping to be able to access the videos but as yet it doesn't work.
I love to knit and watch knitty gritty everyday. Saw this website mentioned there.
Also hope to find some friends to chat with

Jeremy
10-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Welcome everyone. The videos can be slow for folks using dial up. Keep in mind that Amy does sell CDs with the videos on them for what I think is a very reasonable price.

redjpa24
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I have been trying to teach my self to knit for some time and haven't gotten too far. I can get the basic pearl and knit stitch, but anything past that has been kind of hard to figure out because I haven't found a lot of good examples. This is such a great site and has really helped me figure out some of my questions. Thanks so much! I will def. be posting questions:)

vcufashion419
10-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone!

I just joined today, I clicked over from a crochet forum board I am a part of. I learned how to knit about 4 years ago but haven't made much besides some scarves....I'm hoping I can learn some new techniques and challenge myself to try bigger projects on this board. I can't wait to get started! :woohoo:

Jeremy
10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

WshUpnASta
10-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Hi all! My name is Stephanie and I've been knitting for a few years now. My mom is visiting me and stumbled upon this site, we were going to try the Braided Hat Pattern that's displayed on the Free Pattern page...but it only sent me to the message boards.

Does anyone know where I can get this particular pattern?

Thanks!

Ok....I found it on my own! Looking forward on getting started on my new project. :)

Where did you find it? I've been looking for it for 15 minutes.

WshUpnASta
10-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Where did you find it? I've been looking for it for 15 minutes.

Phew I just found it! Thanks so much.:inlove:

MontanaJean
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Hello!! My name is Jean. I am a newbie to this forum and to knitting. I live in Montana...:happydance:

I love all the free patterns you guys have on here!! LOL But now I have to choose.:knitting:

MontanaJean
10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
OH yeah!!! I was introduced to this site from a lady I bought a pattern from on EBAY. The vidoes have been a LIFE SAVER!

Jeremy
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Welcome Jean.:hug:

luv2knit73
10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I just found your website today! I have been knitting for a little under 1 year, and I wish I would have found you all sooner. I am excited to read through everything. Thanks for having me :)

Nunnemaker
10-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi I'm Amy. I am a self taught knitter. Which means I know only the basics, LOL!:aww: I taught myself how to crochet about five years ago and it has come in very handy for making baby gifts and Christmas gifts. I am getting brave now and I started a blanket for my Mom for Christmas, and it's turning out great so far. I saw this site on Knitty Gritty the other day and I'm glad I checked it out. Looks like I can get some good tips here.

rjoit
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi

My name is Rhonda. I am fairly new to knitting. I have been teaching myself pretty much, and I love to crochet. This site provides great instruction and support. The forum is great and I enjoy reading about what all the other knitters are up to.

knit_me_a_sweater
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey everyone!! Hope you're having a great day! :grphug:

a knitter
10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Hello all my name is Angie,i've just started to knit again after a 15yr lapse.And i think i am addicted, I am really pleased to be able to join you and look forward to getting to know you:p
my main accomplishments are mostly baby clothes at the moment but i'm getting brave and doing different patterns:knitting:

Amelia
10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi, I just want to say what a great website you have! Thanks for the videos and simple instructions. It's so much easier to learn knitting without physically attending a knitting course. I just started knitting 2 days ago and I've been searching online for a website like yours! Easy to follow instructions and great ideas for beginners like myself! I'm working on a simple scarf for my baby gal now. Hopefully I'll be able to complete it soon as I'm eager to work on a baby poncho. Thx for the great idea! Cheers!http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif

busyknitting@mac.com
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi my name is Karen. I am an avid knitter and designer. I have recently started a blog/site about the poistive impact of knitting and other creative endeavors on wellness. The site also offers Free patterns, etc. I would love you to stop by! K
http://web.mac.com/busyknitting/iweb

ladyjessica
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
(Nevermind. Stupid me found it. hehe)

I'm having trouble finding the abbreviations. Every time I click the link it takes me to a new general forum page. Please help!

Thanks.

mwhite
10-11-2007, 06:41 PM
How do I turn mine on and what purpose does it serve? Thanks in advance. Mary

knitmom
10-12-2007, 07:04 AM
I've been lurking here for ages, but I finally decided to come out of "lurkdom" and register.

I've been knitting for upwards of 25 years, but as my boys are moving out of the toddler years, I have recently picked up the needles again with renewed intensity. I love the knittinghelp videos when I need to learn a new technique. Looking forward to participating in discussions on the forums. :cheering:

Leona5
10-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello Fellow Knitters!
I have been knitting officially since around 1986 and never stopped learning something each time I pick up the needles. Knitting is, at times, an obsession as I am sure most of you can relate. I do have a quick question, and if it has been asked and answered already, sorry....where can I get some unique and not so old-fashioned garment labels for my gift projects??? Thanks a bunch and I look forward to chatting away!!

moreyarnplease
10-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Hiya:) I am new to this group/forum. My name is Enn. I am a mommy, a wife, a knitter, a dyer and spinner. Well sort of the last ones. I have been knitting since June, and started dying and spinning with my spindle about 2 months ago. I plan on going this month and putting a spinning wheel on layway, I cant wait for that!!! It is very nice to be here, and I hope to get to know everyone well!:muah:

Enn

Jan in CA
10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :cheering:

Jeremy
10-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Hello Fellow Knitters!
I have been knitting officially since around 1986 and never stopped learning something each time I pick up the needles. Knitting is, at times, an obsession as I am sure most of you can relate. I do have a quick question, and if it has been asked and answered already, sorry....where can I get some unique and not so old-fashioned garment labels for my gift projects??? Thanks a bunch and I look forward to chatting away!!

Here is a thread that might be helpful, if not then I would post a new thread in the General Knitting section.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=63256&highlight=garment+labels

Welcome to the forum.

Lynnie
10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I just wanted to say I think this is the best site for
knitting help. I was totally blown away at the videos - I'm actually going to finish a project finally! A pair of mitts for
my daughter. My mum is English and I grew up knitting and she was always there if I ran into a snag (no pun intended).
She lives 4 hours away so it's a little inconvenient to wait
for a visit especially if I'm stuck! You'll never replace mum but you're the next best thing to it. Thanks!!

millie06
10-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I am new to this site...am looking for pattern corrections for Zoe Mellor pattern in Adorable knits for tots on pg. 91...chunky cable sweater...anyone find the correction? the cable in the center has an error...

irene0625
10-13-2007, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=amy;409672]Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this group and am happy to have found it! I have been knitting for awhile, but would love to learn the magic loop technique. I bought the Magic Loop Booklet, but am having trouble trying to knit baby leggings. I would like to put 2 legs on one 40" circ needle and knit them at the same time. Is this possible?
Help.

Jeremy
10-14-2007, 01:31 AM
[quote=amy;409672]Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this group and am happy to have found it! I have been knitting for awhile, but would love to learn the magic loop technique. I bought the Magic Loop Booklet, but am having trouble trying to knit baby leggings. I would like to put 2 legs on one 40" circ needle and knit them at the same time. Is this possible?
Help.

I don't think they would be much bigger if at all than a pair of socks. I think it is possible.

irene0625
10-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Glad I found this site. I'm trying to figure out how to communicate with you. I thought I introduced myself already, but I don't see the posting. Where did I go wrong?

Ingrid
10-14-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=981984#post981984

Here it is, and welcome!

Just find a forum you'd like to join in on and post a reply.

If you want to start a new topic, click on the bottom of the page of the forum in which you want to post, and type away!
Don't hesitate to go anywhere you want.:hug:

sadenra
10-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I've been recording the Knitty Gritty series on my DVR and found your site. I was taught the English method of knitting, and am excited to try the Continental method. I tend to knit tight, and I'm hoping switching methods will help me loosen up a bit.

I am enjoying all the helpful videos on your site, and am looking forward to making friends through the forum, and maybe even finding a group locally to enjoy knitting and great conversation!

Susan :knitting:

LynnH
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
My name is Lynn and though I have been using this website forever, I have not been posting. I love the friendly atmosphere and I am sure that I will be here often. I am a beginning knitter, but have been crocheting and quilting for many years, so Hello to All!

http://knitpicky-lynn.blogspot.com (http://knitpicky-lynn.blogspot.com/)

Love,
Lynn

Jeremy
10-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I've been recording the Knitty Gritty series on my DVR and found your site. I was taught the English method of knitting, and am excited to try the Continental method. I tend to knit tight, and I'm hoping switching methods will help me loosen up a bit.

I am enjoying all the helpful videos on your site, and am looking forward to making friends through the forum, and maybe even finding a group locally to enjoy knitting and great conversation!

Susan :knitting:

Continental knitting did loosen my knitting up quite a bit. When you do switch, give it some time before you take on something that has to have precise gauge. I ended up with a ginourmous sweater even though I did a gauge swatch.

Jeremy
10-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Welcome to all of our new members.:hug:

Puddiner
10-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I am knitting for a long time but there are still lots of tips on this site that I have found very helpful and some methods that I have never come across before. I started my first real lace project earlier this year and it is now coming to an end. I used a Canadian pattern which was very detailed. I had never heard of blocking, but am going to block my lace wrap when it is finished because I think it will certainly improved the finished appearance. I ordered a blocking kit on the internet and had it delivered to a friend in NY and she in turn had it delivered to me in Ireland by a mutual friend.

MsMunks
10-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Hello! I'm so excited to become part of this community! I'm just a beginner(sorry i cant spell today). I'm 17 so i dont have many people in my life to help me out, your videos are just amazing! My grandma once taught me when i was about 8, but she never taught me to cast on or off, but since i found your site, i've learned how to cast on, cast off, change colors, and even an easier and cleaner way to create my neice's baby blanket with a border.

I just wanted to say hello to anyone who is readin this, and thanks to the creator of this site, and the star in all the videos! You guys have helped me SOOOOO much! :muah:

jenniferk
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Hello, I just wanted to quickly introduce myself.

My name is Jennifer and I am a 25 yr old beginner knitter.

It was recommended by another hobby message board that I try this website to teach me how to cast on and purl (very beginner).

My day job is as a business manager, and in my free time I enjoy travelling, spending time with my niece and nephews, beginner sewing, beginner scrapbooker, and cake decorating (Wilton) and reading fiction/novels/chick-lit.

I recently graduated college which is why I am trying some new hobbies...

I hope to get to know everyone on this board soon; and I really enjoy the first video I watched on this website!

Jeremy
10-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone:hug:

KnittinKnots
10-14-2007, 06:32 PM
My cousing referred me to this website and I'm so excited about getting started. I already have questions and I can't wait to get started. I have many passions (quilting, crocheting, volunteering, etc) and now knitting is the latest one. Maybe it will be "the one". I got started knitting to try and keep my mind off my mom's passing last month. So far, it has helped a lot - I mean I have to keep counting, don't I? I can't wait to get started.:woohoo:

bees knees
10-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Just checking in as a new member!
I've lived in Texas all my life and haven't had the opportunity to wear alot of hand-knit sweaters. I learned to knit from my grandmother when I was 11 years old. Life got in the way and I just picked it up again a couple of years ago. I am a huge admirer of lacy knits, although anything knit catches my eye. This is one of the most helpful websites for knitters. Amy Singer is fantastic.
I am currently working on a child's bolero sweater, but am distracted by the idea of knitting a mobius scarf.

shan
10-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi I'm new too!

I've just posted a question in the how-to area, but I thought I should come here to say hello too!

I've knitted on and off for quite a few years, and slowly picking up a bit of experience and skills.

I'm wanting to spend more time on my knitting.

When I've fixed up my current problem, I'm going to knit some bed socks for my children.

Jeremy
10-15-2007, 10:34 AM

knitella
10-15-2007, 11:00 AM
What a great find! Glad to find this community and looking forward to sharing and learning.

I'm searching for a hat pattern, so I guess I'll find my way to the appropriate forum and explore.

LuckyInLove
10-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm Lucky and I'm just learning to knit. I've always wanted to and finally found someone to teach me. I'm pretty friendly and always looking to make more friends, so drop me a line or IM me

PurpleIris
10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
(Opens the door that says "Welcome" and looks in side the cozy room w/lots of comfy chairs, good lights and tables to put stuff on -- patterns, other patterns, yarn needles, other stuff. Oh, and lots of friendly faces and some that look like they are counting stiches.)

:) Hi. Thought I'd check this out. Since kniting is the topic, I guess that would be a good place to start. Taught myself when I was in High School. Just worked stuff out. I'm kind of a Continental knitter but handle my yarn differently, or so I've been told --"You're doing it all w-r-o-n-g!" -- But I do it my way and get thru cables and FairIsle and Lace and even won the Purple Ribbon at the County Fair. So how wrong could I be? I just translate to my style and it all works out.

But that doesn't mean I don't have questions.

(Hopes that will do for a starter.

Oh, someone looks like they're going to say something. Smiles and looks at them, expectently....).

iftheschufits
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I learned about this site from my yahoo knitting group! I have been taking a bit of a sabatical from knitting *sad*. I am currently taking a full load with school and working full-time. No time for fun. I hope to get knitting again soon--i have been making a lot of baby hats and bath mitts.

alphatwin
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Dear LilyB,
I found my knitting guru on a knitting bulletin board, much like this one. She is 82-years old, and she has taught me more in a few weeks than I've learned over the course of years! Good luck. You will find a knitting pal (or pals).
Best from Rhinebeck, NY
Brenda

awolfejen
10-16-2007, 02:42 PM
this site is awesome. I have already knitted the hat.

sticks
10-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I am new to the forum although I have been using the Knittinghelp.com website for almost a year. The website is great. The people are so great at sharing.
I started knitting about four years ago when I was given a lesson at the Great KnitOut and CrochetOut in Santa Monica. I recently completed a 20 square aphgan with the help of a great yarn shop in El Segundo California. Most of my projects have been apghans (4). Gauge is still a problem for me. I recently started knitting a sock (my first). I have also made hats.
I love the colors and textures of yarn, so it's hard to keep a manageable stash.
Sticks.

KT120
10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Welcome Sticks to KH! (love your screen name)

Amerielle
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Hello Everyone! I love this site! I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

zenenlightened
10-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Hello!! I'm zen. I'm a 27 yr old stay at home mom. I have a 4 year old son. I have been married for 7 years.

I am just learning how to knit. Today was the first day I have ever picked up a knitting needle and some yarn. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this site. I was having a hard time understanding the book that I bought. The videos made it super easy for me to learn casting on. Now I need to work on the knitting part. lol

prayingmomma
10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi, I'm happy to find this knitting site. I'm a wife and grandmother. I enjoy knitting and crochet. It is so good to be a part of this knitting community. My books can't give me all the answers but other knitters are a great help.

Cajunknitter
10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Took lessons 30 years ago, put it aside to raise babies and work outside my home. Retired and want to get back into knitting stuff for grandkids! Love it! I have so many questions. Glad to find this site and will be reading every day. Thanks

lamundie
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I am Lori from virginia

Jeremy
10-17-2007, 05:16 PM
What a great bunch! Welcome everyone :grphug:

angelisalynn
10-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Hello all! I am new to this forum. I have been knitting for about 2 years. I have a 4 year old son and a 9 month old daughter. I went into a pink knitting frenzy when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had a brief hiatus from knitting when she was 0-6 months because she was the kind of baby that wanted to be held all the time. I am thrilled to be back into my favorite hobby. I find knitting to be so therapeutic and rewarding.

Your videos on your old site were so valuable for me when I was learning how to read patterns and learn new techniques. Thank you so much for putting this website together. Its a fantastic resource for all levels of knitters!

Angie, Northern VA

bitchknitty
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello there peoples. I've been knitting for about....ehhh....9-10 months now. I've recently discovered felting and now have a reason (besides my kid) to get out of the BED every morning. OMG, I WISH that someone had told me about that SOONER!!!
Ok, let's see...I'm a good knitter, but I'm not the worlds best finisher. IF I MUST---I will weave in the ends....otherwise I tie em off and snippity snip. (Argh, "Diary of a Mad Knitter!!!" don't beat me!!!) That's probably one of the reasons that I love felting so much....it hides the lumpy spots where my lazy arse has tied off.

I AM having an issue in particular which prompted me to come here and check you chickies out......I'm making bags/purses. I'm getting a little BORED w/making them FLAT....Soooooo I need to make a bottom, right?? Ok, most patterns...well not most, but quite a few, say to just sew the seams together....bla bla bla. Ok---I'm a knitter....NOT a seamstress! I so TOTALLY suck at sewing.....it's actually a little ODD that someone who sucks SO bad at sewing could be SUCH a natural knitter. (Shhh! I think it's one of those evolutionary mistakes that we're not supposed to know about!) Anywho--I really just want to knit the whole thing...I don't want to have to sew everything together when I'm finished....I already have to do that w/straps and buttons.....I don't wanna have to do that w/seams....cause my seams are AMAZINGLY AWFUL....I really had NO idea that a person actually COULD sew as badly as I do. Then I made a panel poncho. HA! Words cannot describe the level of SUCKAGE that the now infamous poncho has achieved.
Ok--so I tried to knit the bottom first and then do a three needle bind off to seam it.....what a nightmare THAT was. I had like 6 double points goin at once.....nightmare...I'm telling you. THEN, I tried knitting the bottom, casting off and picking up sts along the edges....worked like a CHARM....until I tried to get them all onto the circulars and join in the round! I don't understand how I can EASILY fit say.....50sts on these circulars under normal circumstances, with NO problem.....but when I tried to do it for the purposes of picking up and knitting the body of a bag off of the bottom.....O.M.G. You really woulda thought that I had tried to convince the yarn that is was still on a SHEEP for all the trouble it gave me!!!! Ok, so there's my intro....and in case you haven't noticed, I tend to get a weeeee bit prolific at times. If any of you have any suggestions....I'm listenin. :happydance: Oh, and I just like this little guy here, so I thought I'd throw him in!

THANKS!!!

lutiwright
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Hallo Fellowknitters,
I am knitting, chrocheting and quilting my days away, and I am enjoying every minute of it!!
Happy knitting.
Luti Wright

Langley Yarns
10-18-2007, 04:27 PM
My name is Barbara and I have been knitting since 1950! I took up weaving in 1982 and bought my yarn store, Langley Yarns & Crafts, (www.langleyyarns.com) 6 months later and introduced weaving and spinning supplies to the store. In 1989 I closed my store front and moved my store to my studio at home and have continued for the last 18 years supplying felters, weavers, spinners and knitters with fleece, yarn, books, DVDs, equipment, Lanolin soap and Merino cream ever since. Please visit my website and if there is anything that you require I am quite willing to ship or you may visit me by appointment in my studio. You may also email me if you have a question.

Carol_OH
10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Just a 'hey I'm back' for those who may remember me! Lots of changes in my life (mostly all good, and all job-related) but still knittin!

This new forum has me a little confused, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon!

:waves:

Ingrid
10-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Welcome, everyone! Welcome back, Carol!:waving:

Carol_OH
10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks Ingrid!!!!

Amy Leigh
10-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I am amazed and thrilled to discover Knittinhelp.com! I am new to the world of knitting and this site is just what I needed. I can't wait to shop for yarn tomorrow...whew whooo!

haagor
10-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Hello everyone,
So happy to have found this site. I'm a bit of a techno-dummy, but I'm sure I'll find my way around before too long.
I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and am a South African, born in Cape Town. I have lived in Washington DC and also in Sydney and Perth, Australia. I am a retired music therapist. I am sixty years young and am a knitaholic (with an embarrassing stash!)
Found your site whilst searching for tips on how to convert a pattern from DK to 4-ply. Hope someone here can be of assistance.
I look forward to meeting many of you!

Jeremy
10-19-2007, 01:01 PM

yuyay
10-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi all,
I'm a re-new-ish knitter. My grandmothers taught me as a kid, then my aunt reminded me, and two decades later, I've retaught myself (with a lot of help from the Internet!). I'm a silversmith, focusing especially on chain maille and Viking knit, so it seemed a natural progression. I'm 'stuck' in Korea for three years without my silver so I needed something to keep my hands busy.
Great place to learn!
yuyay

nike588
10-20-2007, 12:29 PM
thanks
i am the new member

www.nike588.com

tinapica
10-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi all ! I am new here looking forward to getting to know everyone !

Jeremy
10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Welcome to everyone. I think we have our first member in Korea.:hug:

yaepenyi
10-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi. My name is Saehee. I was a total beginner on knitting and i'm getting hang of it now. I've already finished 6 scarves and starting on capelet. Which is little bit more challenge then scarves ofcourse..:wink: thank you knittinghelp.

I have a question. I'm reading this direction for this project I'm doing it seems too confusing.
Work 4 rnds in k1, p1 rib. K every rnd until work measures 8 1/2. so, is that mean you rib 4 rows and starting doing garter st or stockinett st? until 81/2"
pictures sort of looks like stockinett st but hard to tell because of the yarn that's been used is fur yarn. please guide me w/ what this means.

thank you and happy knitting :knitting:

AngMac
10-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey there! I am new here.

I have only been knitting for a year but the moment I picked up my first set of needles I was hooked. I took it up during my last pregnancy as a way to stick to my bedrest. :knitting: just seemed to come so naturally to me.

I live in Western Maryland and am a SAHM of 3 amazing little boys -- the oldest is 3.5, the middle little guy just turned 2 in September and the youngest is turning 1 in November. Yes, I am very busy gal. LOL Knitting is my serenity after a long hair pulling day with my boys.

I just finished my first sweater. Currently, I am working on my first lace scarf and finishing the other half of a couple pairs of socks.

dustinac
10-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone!! :woot:

ImaKnit
10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I too am a re-new-ish knitter.

I knitted quite a lot when my kids were little (I have a bunch) and then stoped for many years. Recently I started to crochet and found it to be faster and a bit more satisfying than knittting...however, a couple of weeks ago in my local yarn store, looking unsuccessfully for a specific pattern for a hat in crochet, I got chatting to a lady about knitting vs crocheting.

Her story had been the same as mine until someone introduced her to continental knitting which I had never heard of - I checked on the net and my search led me here.

I am loving the videos and trying at the moment to get my tension consistent, but very excited about the prospect of knitting again, but faster!!

white dragon
10-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Amy,
I stumbled on this site yesterday while looking for an easier way to learn the Continental method of casting on. I had started a pair of socks in the Folk Socks book by Nancy Bush, and the pattern said to use Continental. Needless to say, the way I was doing it wasn't RIGHT! Your video was great, and just what I needed to throw my discouragement out the window!! I'm now on track, and eager to work on them. Thank you so much, and I'm thrilled this site exists and I'm part of it. White Dragon, Virginia

Rosmaburg
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM
My name is Rosemary. I have returned to knitting, after many years. I crocheted during those years, but shyed away from knitting. Now I love it!! I knit for the Ronald McDonald House in Rochester, MN and have just begun doing chemo hats for the hospitals affiliated with the Mayo Clinic.
I really love using circular needles. Need help on seams for sweaters, etc. Mine just don't look as neat as I would like!

lookinout
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I have been knitting for many years, but have learned a lot from the net too. I can't remember what sent me here, but I thought it might be useful and fun.
Just now I'm looking for directions for the "other" herringbone stitch, not the one where you have an effect on virtually every row, but the one where you get Vs, up and down.
I also have to learn how this operates as I'm not accustomed to a forum, or a chat room.

Carol Baum
10-21-2007, 11:14 PM
This site is the one and only I go to for knitting help. I've been knitting off and on for years but stopped for a while and came back to it a few years ago. I've really appreciated the video helps and ordered Amy's videos...well worth every penny! Thanks for a job well done!!

sriley555
10-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Hi! I'm Sandy Riley, age 74, live in Ashland, OR, and just started knitting in 2007. My granddaughter got me started, and I've made a few potholders, and some pillow covers.

I have another :guyknitting: friend who is helping me learn to knit a felted hat.

I have a question about casting on a large number of stitches (80) to a cable needle. Is there a way to do it without having such a long tail to start out with (probably 120 inches?) which might be too short, a fact I wouldn't find out until I ran out of tail.

Can I reverse the two ends and have the CO stitches "use up" the yarn from the ball, rather than the tail ?

Catz
10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
hi everyone. I've been knitting and crocheting for a while now. I've just purchased a hairpin lace loom and I found this site while I was looking for patterns. So I thought I'd join.

bethany
10-22-2007, 09:54 AM
New to the site, and so glad this sort of thing is out here. How lucky are we to live with computers!? I'm self-taught and it's great to see others with the same questions and get some solutions! Thanks!

bethany
10-22-2007, 10:11 AM
actually I just saw something on this...I'm new too, so I hope I don't confuse you more. I think I saw the person take the yarn from the middle of the skein in addition to the "start" yarn. Then she cast on using both ends...however, which end was in which position? Maybe I saw it on Knitty Gritty (DIY Network). They may show it on the site...good luck!

Cecily
10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Everyone:
I just activated my membership this morning. I love knitting. I have been knitting over 30 years. I am 45 years old and my Mom taught me to knit when I was 15. I have taken breaks but have knitted most of the time. I don't get to knit for long periods of time. I have a full time job, two girls, one 21 one 17 and I am very involved in my church so although I make sure to do my needlework every day sometimes it is only for a short time. I mention "needlework" rather than knitting because I knit, crochet, cross stitch and make beaded jewelry. All of which I love to do. I do it daily because I find it to be a very good stress reliever.

I am so glad I found this very active forum of people with the same interests as I. I hope to add alot of valuable content and enjoy the friendships with people with the same interests. Thanks for a wonderful resource! Looking forward to talking with all of you!

Cecily

Jeremy
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi. My name is Saehee. I was a total beginner on knitting and i'm getting hang of it now. I've already finished 6 scarves and starting on capelet. Which is little bit more challenge then scarves ofcourse..:wink: thank you knittinghelp.

I have a question. I'm reading this direction for this project I'm doing it seems too confusing.
Work 4 rnds in k1, p1 rib. K every rnd until work measures 8 1/2. so, is that mean you rib 4 rows and starting doing garter st or stockinett st? until 81/2"
pictures sort of looks like stockinett st but hard to tell because of the yarn that's been used is fur yarn. please guide me w/ what this means.

thank you and happy knitting :knitting:

Knit just the four rounds in rib and then just plain knitting until you reach 81/2 inches. Welcome to the forum:hug:

Jeremy
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi! I'm Sandy Riley, age 74, live in Ashland, OR, and just started knitting in 2007. My granddaughter got me started, and I've made a few potholders, and some pillow covers.

I have another :guyknitting: friend who is helping me learn to knit a felted hat.

I have a question about casting on a large number of stitches (80) to a cable needle. Is there a way to do it without having such a long tail to start out with (probably 120 inches?) which might be too short, a fact I wouldn't find out until I ran out of tail.

Can I reverse the two ends and have the CO stitches "use up" the yarn from the ball, rather than the tail ?

A hundred and twenty inches soundsl like a lot of tail. The way I guesstimate the length of the tail is to start out with a smaller number, say 8 in your case, and wind the yarn 8 times around the needle. Multiply the length of those stitches by ten and add a little for a fudge factor and that's the length of the tail. Alternately, you can try a cable cast which won't require a long tail.

Jeremy
10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
:hug:Welcome to everyone else.

bloomee
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Thank you I will give it a try.

shedevil
10-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Can anybody teach me IN PERSON how to knit? I would LOVE the chance to make my own hat and mittens, instead of buying them, I learn better in person then reading a book, I have the needles and yarn, I live in Richfield send any responses to haileys_rose@yahoo.com thanks

linlinsimms
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
:muah:
Ive been knit bitten. I learned to knit when i was very small at Quaker meeting. Ive just started back and i loose myself! I find its 3 AM many nights. I gues my Big concern is the cost of beautiful yarn and needles. Also where is the best place for very well explained/detailed instuctions.

Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

grover
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Hello KNITTERS!!!
Just jumping back on the bandwagon...lovin' it!
My grandma taught me how to knit as a pre-teen..unfortunately I didn't keep it up and lost the skills very soon after..but 20 yrs later I am ready to give it a go..looking forward to chatting with ya'll!

aligar50
10-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi everybody! I'm a new member from Uruguay, a tiny country in South America. I've always loved to knit and recently became a fan, almost an addict, of crochet. I'm 56 years old and have two adult children and one greatson. I do not think that I can be of any help to anybody as I just follow magazine's instructions but I would be very happy to chat with other people who share my hobby. Nowadays I have some mohair yarn to crochet a cardigan (no model so far) and I would like to get a vintage pattern for doing a bedjacket, romantic and lacy. Kind regards to everybody from a this new member, Alicia

Jeremy
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
:muah:
Ive been knit bitten. I learned to knit when i was very small at Quaker meeting. Ive just started back and i loose myself! I find its 3 AM many nights. I gues my Big concern is the cost of beautiful yarn and needles. Also where is the best place for very well explained/detailed instuctions.

We actually have very complete and well explained instructions here :) Probably the best places to find reasonably priced needles and yarn are the online sites. Knitpicks is a particular favorite. They make very good needles and the yarn is of good quality and reasonably priced. There are other great sites too. I would look at purchasing the Knitpicks options set. I certainly like and use mine and think they are a very good investment.

Jeremy
10-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Can anybody teach me IN PERSON how to knit? I would LOVE the chance to make my own hat and mittens, instead of buying them, I learn better in person then reading a book, I have the needles and yarn, I live in Richfield send any responses to haileys_rose@yahoo.com thanks

I put a copy of your post in the buy sell swap forum also. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

astonh
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome, Lynnie!

ammac
10-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Great Site! Lots of info and help. Looking forward to visiting frequently!

wednesday
10-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi Ya'll, well if that doesn't give you a hint here goes I live in Sunny South Carolina. Recently I rediscovered knitting after an over 20 year break :wink: at age 45 I am relearning and while knitting hasn't changed all that much, patterns and fibers sure have. I am in love with the variety and of course the internet makes it much nicer experience. While my hometown is still lacking in the knitting supply department there certainly is a lot more available now than the first time around :) I tend to be a manic knitter in other words I will start a project and knit myself silly trying to finish so if you don't see me posting be sure that I am feverishly knitting

victoriousleefree
10-24-2007, 04:20 AM
Wow this is a great forum. So glad I found it. My name is Cyndi and I taught myself to knit 3 or 4 years ago and have been knitting ever since.

I knit for baby clothes for charity and now am learning to make doggie sweaters for charity.

Thanks for this site.

Ldymadlin
10-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi my name is Julie I am from Ohio. I have been knitting for about 3 years on and off. :)

Jeremy
10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Welcome to all the newcomers.:hug:

annieruth
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi, I've been knitting for 40 years and love it.

losnana
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Welcome, Wednesday. Where in SC are you? I grew up in Florence, went to college in Gaffney, lived in Charleston, and still have family therel and in Florence.

Ironlung21
10-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I am so pleased to have finally found something worthwhile on the interweb.
I crave ever more complicated knitting projects and have lots of things on the go at once - short attention span type problem - but I have never been any good at finishing off. As my knitting has got better and better over the years my making up hasn't. I used to send all my bits of projects to the irreplaceable Grandma King who would turn my childish efforts into things - although I suspect sometimes she would unpick them and start again from scratch. Anyway basically if things got too complicated in the making up work stakes I would stick the bits in the post and they would come back as a garment. She was a fan of crocheting her seams - well beyond me however many times I tried. I have now watched several of your brilliant, clear videos and am sure I can finally finish something without wincing when looking at the seams! Marvellous.

D1EJR
10-25-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm new to this type of forum. I'm a relatively new knitter, taking it up after my one and only daughter went off to college. I quickly progressed from scarves and washcloths to hats and shrugs. Am now working on something called the Einstein coat. Lots and lots of knitting.

Elizabeth

cusebassman
10-25-2007, 09:27 AM
I am happy to finally have found a sizeable, online knitting community to ask a couple questions on, as the other forums I've found/frequented were rather small, so little advice was to be had.

My name is Glen, I live in Syracuse, NY... the username is misleading, as I am (outside of my 9-5) predominantly a musician, but I also enjoy knitting and other craft hobbies on the side, but my username has travelled with me for a while now, so I figured I'd stick with it :)

Jeremy
10-25-2007, 02:43 PM

makmom
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi all. I'm Michele & very new to knitting. I've quilted, cross-stitched, crocheted, dabbled in a lot of fiber work. I taught myself to knit at the beginning of this year after a friend of mine ... believe this or not ;) ... had some wool from his sheep & thought I might be interested! So, I figured it would be a good time to figure out the process of 1st processing the raw wool, learning the carding/spinning & then what to do with it all? Well, try something new! So here I am. I've spun very little wool, got some knitting under my belt and love this site. I see it supports the novice knitter & spinner! YEAH!!! I have lots of washed fleece that needs carding, spinning & using and I'm hoping all of you (well, some of you anyway) will be able to hold my hand until I'm a pro :knitting: like some of you! :yay:

rockawayknitter
10-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Just started knitting. I used to visit the old site and was trying to knit the toddler poncho and now I cannot find it. boo hoo JOY:muah:

Reestabeet
10-25-2007, 11:41 PM
I am so pleased that my sister-in-law (thank you so much, Natalie! :D) introduced me to this site......Mum taught me to knit when I was all of 9 years old, however, I have only sporadically knitted since then. I have taken far more of an interest in the recent past, due to having baby #3, and wanting to clothe my family in the bloomin' cold winds we get down here in Palmerston North....so thank you for making knitting so much easier, now I dont have to ring Mum when I 'bosh-up' for help :D

lilchem
10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi, I am Kelly. I have been crocheting for about 8 years and knitting for about 3 years. I really enjoy reading this site and look forward to participating more.

@udrey
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi I just joined today, but I've visited many times before. It's good to be among so many wonderful and talented people.:woot:

I've been crafting since I was 8, but only started knitting last year. Soi hope to learn alot for the rest of you.

Audrey

ethreads
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi. I am a newbe of course. I have done some knitting in the past and would like to broden my horizons so to speak. To do this I need some help. My daughter-in-law has asked me to knit her some soakers. The patterns I have found on line call for wool yarn and size 4 needles. I am not familiar with wool yarn. The pattern doesn't mention the weight of the yarn and when I look for wool yarn I can't find any weight info but the yarn sites say to use a larger needle with their yarn as an 8. Are there different weights of wool yarn? Do I look for a lighter weight to be used with the smaller size needles? Are there perfered brands of wool yarn or are they basically all the same? What do you or any other members recommend. Help! Thank you. ethreads

jaydee
10-26-2007, 03:46 PM
The pattern I'm trying to read says "inc 3 sts evenly across last row". Can someone please tell me how this is done. I've guessed that it might be increasing one st at the beginning, middle and the at the end of the row. If this is crazy, forgive me, I'm new at this.

losnana
10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Check out these sites. They do it for you. You're correct for increasing only 3, but thesea re great when you have to increase more.

http://www.fromthehartle.freeservers.com/KnittingPatterns/EvenIncreaseCalculator.html
http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/tools/IncreaseEvenlySpace.html

Lokilani
10-26-2007, 11:16 PM
LUV THIS SITE!!

I've been knitting off and on for 15 years. Started out crocheting and attempted knitting from a book..how painful that was. Lets just say tears and frustration, but I hung on and now my preference is knitting. With all the searcing on line I cannot believe I havn't found this site sooner. I absolutely love the videos. Thinking of starting a Fair Isle Knitting project but first need to complete my sons "baby blanket"..he is now 2 so it has grown to a twin size; my husbands hooded sweater, made a mistake on the arms and set it aside (sport weight yarn on size 4 needles) need I say more

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

abit2kish
10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
So happy to find this site. I was taught knitting as a child by my grandmother and mother. After many years, I've decided to pick it up again. It's amazing how much I've forgotten. Watching your videos brought most of it back and I learned many things I didn't know.

Looking forward to spending more time on this site reading and watching your videos. I really enjoy the way you've done them. Everything is so clear and it has helped so much. Feels like sitting with and learning from a friend. Trying to learn from reading some of the books and other online teaching sites has been more like deciphering some cryptic code.

Thanks again! :woot: GREAT JOB!

Peg
Moore, Oklahoma

lagedazzy
10-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi...
My name is Daze, and im a newbie in this forum and also on knitting
I just started to knit 3 weeks ago and i have knitted 2 scarf so far...

I'm an Indonesian born chinese, and english is my second languange...so...sorry if my english might be confusing sometimes...

nice to know u all, and hope we can help each other in knitting...

;)

EDIE
10-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Hello. This is an entirely new experience for me. I am not at all computer savvy, I just use one at work. Soon I hope to get online at home. Have been knitting for about one year and am obsessed. Thanks for the warm welcome. Your patience is appreciated as I attempt to navigate myself through this wonderful and very helpful site. Edie.

EDIE
10-27-2007, 06:03 AM
:woot: Hello. This is an entirely new experience for me. I am not at all computer savvy, I just use one at work. Soon I hope to get online at home. Have been knitting for about one year and am obsessed. Thanks for the warm welcome. Your patience is appreciated as I attempt to navigate myself through this wonderful and very helpful site. Edie.

KnittingNat
10-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Welcome everyone! Hope you'll have a great knitting experience :hug:and enjoy the nicest forum around:cheering:

mommie*3
10-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Hello,

I was introduced to this site by a friend whom I begged to show me how to knit. This site has been WONDERFUL for a new knitter like myself. I tell everyone I know about this site and no one can beleive it's free. I have just finished my third scarf and can't wait to tackle tougher projects. I too have lots of questions and can't wait to learn all I can from you seasoned knitters!
Thanks!

alphabetmom
10-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Hello, greetings from Washington state. I have 3 grown children the oldest is 21 and youngest 18. I have been married for almost 25 years and work in an office. I am a very beginner knitter. I was excited to find this site and watch the teaching videos. I frequently visit laughingplace.com, a Disney discussion board. :knitting:

needlenuts
10-28-2007, 03:07 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am so happy to find this site and get the chance to chat with and maybe meet with other passionate knitters! You can get so much more out of your knitting when you share it with other people!

I'm not a novice, but I'm not expert either. I just love to knit and I don't like to go anywhere without my knitting.

I live on the Sunshine Coast in British Columbia Canada.

Thanks for letting me post,

Kathy

Bev
10-28-2007, 12:47 PM
cloud9 Hi from this newcomer... Bev.
I hope someone can advise me on solving the following problem:
I am knitting a scarf, using #10 metal needles, Simply Soft yarn, and an afghan stitch which has a repetition set of 10 sts; I cast on 60 sts. Problem: curling edges.
If I crochet edging when the scarf is finished, will that eliminate the curling? Or, - will blocking do the trick? Will the curl return after the first wash?
What has been your experience?
Thanks. Bev/

kgkrause
10-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Hello, wonderful to find your site. I've knitted on and off for several years and started doing more when Grandbaby came along.

I've gotten into socks on 2 circular size 1 needles but am having trouble where I have to change colors between the two needles.

Any suggestions from anyone.

KK

ladylibe
10-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone, I have been looking at this site for awhile now and I really enjoy it. I am new to knitting and have some yarn that I don't know what to do with it was just pretty so I brought it. It is called Sinfonia I would like to make a scarf ( new to knitting also) it is a sport weight and calls for # 4 needles which I can't find, any suggestions would be great. Thanks

SusanF
10-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi all, just learned about this site via a friend and wonder how I hadn't found it myself... it's great and the videos are terrific! I look forward to sharing and finding new friends who share the same passions.

Have several UFO's, all with some kind of handdyed or handspun yarn, or fun fibers (like bamboo and a cotton/flax blend), and each has a particular challenge that makes it fun. I don't do well with endless rows of st, especially if of a single color, so the little bag that was just that is still sitting in the basket waiting on finishing. Why did I even start it....?? I'm sure there was a reason, but it totally escapes me now. If I don't hunker down and finish it in the next few days, it will probably not get finished for years... just the way it is. I know you know what I 'm talking about.;)

Currently have 3 pairs of socks going, a baby sweater, a ski hat, a shawl and then the spinning... a charkha with a lovely blue's cotton/silk without a project that I do when I'm stressed, a mohair/silk blend, also without a project... humm the list can go on and on.

Is this a passion or an obsession??

iwfinley
10-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Your site is AWESOME. Bought your CD for when my connection is running slow and your videos end up choppy. Thanks to you, I finally taught myself to knit this year after being not satisfied with crocheting. It certainly is an addiction, but has helped me through some tough times -- my son was hospitalized with an infection in the late summer and I knitted a whole scarf while sitting by his bedside in the hospital!! Thank you so much for this place!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently working on baby blankets for my sons' teachers, and then want to do the Harry Potter Gryffindor Scarf/Hat for my 9 year old for a Christmas present!!!!

Linda2566
10-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Hello to everyone,
I've had this site on my favoritesfor a long time, but forgot about it,thanks for the reminder. I need help getting back to my knitting,does anyone have any suggestions.
I got burn out while back an haven't pick up my needles in several months.
NEED HELP!!

Thanks Amy for the wonderful site!

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 10:33 AM
cloud9 Hi from this newcomer... Bev.
I hope someone can advise me on solving the following problem:
I am knitting a scarf, using #10 metal needles, Simply Soft yarn, and an afghan stitch which has a repetition set of 10 sts; I cast on 60 sts. Problem: curling edges.
If I crochet edging when the scarf is finished, will that eliminate the curling? Or, - will blocking do the trick? Will the curl return after the first wash?
What has been your experience?
Thanks. Bev/

Welcome to the forum. My guess is that the stitch you are using is like stockinette in that it curls at the edges. I think the curl is going to stay there even after washing or blocking. The crochet solution will help a great deal. I would either do that or pick up stitches and knit a garter stitch border. Good luck

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello to everyone,
I've had this site on my favoritesfor a long time, but forgot about it,thanks for the reminder. I need help getting back to my knitting,does anyone have any suggestions.
I got burn out while back an haven't pick up my needles in several months.
NEED HELP!!

Thanks Amy for the wonderful site!

Welcome back. Why don't you explore the KAL and charity knitting sections to see what everyone else is enjoying?

Little T
10-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Hopefully, i can find answers here for all my knitting dilemas!! I have been knitting faithfully for about two years and cannot learn enough, from scarves, to hats, to sweaters and my next venture will be socks. It all started when i learned how to spin and didn't know what to do with the yarn i spun. I also am having fun with my new group of people that knit for my "Dear Dana". We knit hats, scarves, and shawls for oncology patients at hospitals in the Denver area in memory of my daughter!! Any patterns for my group would be appreciated!

karenwishes
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I've been knitting for a long long time. A friend of mine is on this site and recommended it to me. I will browse the free patterns section and see if there is anything there I want. Right now I am knitting an upside down baby sweater.

Thanks for having this site available. I hope to learn a lot here and gain some new friends.

grammie
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I am an old knitter, but new to chats and forums. I clicked on introduce yourself and it showed me Amy's post. I don't see any way to post except to reply. I hope that is correct. I have been knitting for about 37 years and am doing more than ever now that there are so many new and beautiful yarns...and they feel so good....and the new patterns available on the internet. And now there is a way to talk to other knitters...color me happy!

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Hopefully, i can find answers here for all my knitting dilemas!! I have been knitting faithfully for about two years and cannot learn enough, from scarves, to hats, to sweaters and my next venture will be socks. It all started when i learned how to spin and didn't know what to do with the yarn i spun. I also am having fun with my new group of people that knit for my "Dear Dana". We knit hats, scarves, and shawls for oncology patients at hospitals in the Denver area in memory of my daughter!! Any patterns for my group would be appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum:hug: We have a very popular and widely used Charity forum here. You should certainly take a look there. I also would take a look at Pattern Central as we have some nice links for chemo caps etc.

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Welcome to all of our new members:hug:

kathyy
10-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Hello ,just trying to figer this out HELP,

simplysilly
10-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for this wonderful website! Believe it or not, my husband taught me to knit, but could never teach me to purl (I still can't figure out how he does it) but your site has taught me to purl and has opened up a whole new world for me. There's nothing like cuddling up with a pair of knitting needles in hand and working on a scarf or eventually a hat or mittens or socks. I just have to remind myself to take baby steps!!

Thanks again! I couldn't have done it without you!

Marcy

sorantes123
10-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Just wanted to say hello to all you knitters. I'm Sharon. Have been knitting for 45 years and do most of my knitting for my 4 grandkids. They LOVE hooded sweatshirt sweaters. I'm getting tired of the pattern though!

I have arthritis now so have converted ALL my patterns to circular needles. Great for the joints and an added plus : I don't have seams to sew.

I just found this site but don't have much time for the computer if I want to knit! I was a programmer until I retired early. So I much prefer knitting to using the computer.

kunstkammer
10-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey, there. Dropping in to introduce myself. The videos on this site are a fantastic help to me, as someone just starting to knit and trying to sort it all out by myself. So far so good! I'm not shy about speaking up if I have a problem so I expect you'll be hearing more from me in the future. :wink: Thanks for being here!

KnittingNat
10-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Welcome everyone:hug: ! This is a great place for beginners, intermediate and the guru knitters from all over the world!

mummie
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
thank you Amy for teaching me how to knit. I picked up the bug at a local yarn shop where i was directed to check out your site. I made my first hat a year ago with help from this site and i regularly visit for tips and how to. thank you again..

jessie
10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Just found this site. It's great and I expect to use it lots!!

jessie

LisaKay
10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Just wanted to say Hello!! I look forward to stopping in here during the winter months while I hopefully do some knitting. Thank you for sharing the information you have available.

Jeremy
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for this wonderful website! Believe it or not, my husband taught me to knit, but could never teach me to purl (I still can't figure out how he does it) but your site has taught me to purl and has opened up a whole new world for me. There's nothing like cuddling up with a pair of knitting needles in hand and working on a scarf or eventually a hat or mittens or socks. I just have to remind myself to take baby steps!!

Thanks again! I couldn't have done it without you!

Marcy

How great that your husband taught you. You probably will be raiding each others stash now.:)

mimiof9
10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
You sound like me. My memory span, and latest kick span is very short. HOWEVER, Now I pick up the needles every day. right now, tho, socks are eating my lunch. I think I need human by my side to help me.
BTW, I LOVE THE LOOK OF THE SITE.
Thank you for the videos. I have sat in front of them until I learned to knit continental and throw. It saves these tired 60+ muscles.
Mimi of 9

punk knitter
10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
w'sup everyone?? just found this site thought it would be cool to talk to other ppl who actually knit!! ive been knitting for a couple years now, my mom tought me basics and then i just went wild w/ it!! its literally my addiction. i have 3 different WIP at the moment... well im going to check out hte rest of this site, l8er!!

pUnK knItTeR

Carm
10-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Dropping by to introduce myself! i'm so addictive to knitting, it's not even funny! i'm making socks right now and having a bit of trouble understanding the pattern ie picking up stitches and continuing on to the shaping of the toe...i hope to find the help with this wonderful site i suddenly found recently.

Jeremy
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM

myruby
10-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I think I'm doing this all wrong but I'm trying I knit and crochet much
better- I'm looking for a knit pattern for ballet booties for my
upcoming first grandchild. Help.

Thankscloud9

Jeremy
10-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi welcome to the forum.:hug: The forum has a section called Pattern Central where you might get more responses. I'm going to copy your post there. Look for it under the title "Ballet Slipper pattern needed" I would also look in www.knittingpatterncentral.com.

emmaknits
10-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi-
I found this site while looking for directions on how to purl.I'm pretty excited, because this seems like it will be really helpful for any future questions I will have!

jayfish
11-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Just saying hello...followed a link to a pattern and thought "what a great idea this site is!" I've been knitting for 50 years but still learn something new now and then. Have "rediscovered" Elizabeth Zimmerman's patterns and am crazy about the baby surprise jacket! I do a lot of charity knitting and this has become a definite favorite. Every single one I've made (about 12 since last spring) has been different, and that is part of the charm!

Ciao!:knitting:

Jeanne in California

fox220
11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I just started learning to knit last night in my hotel room. I crocheted years and years ago, and so far knitting is coming along. Today I read about the Continental method, and I think I'm going to go that route. It looks ideal for knitting on the plane in cramped quarters!

Jeremy
11-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Welcome everyone. We're glad you're here:hug:

amberof2
11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
So I'm a SAHM for to Jonathan 3.5 and Mayah 2.5 and happily married.

While my hubbie was out of town on a contract I was bored one evening and had a couple of knitting needles that I had set aside when I unsuccessfully attempted to knit a scarf when I was 15. I googled knitting help and this was the first site that came up and it is FANTASTIC :cheering:
I have been crocheting for a long time but I felt knitting was a pain because everytime I made a mistake i would have to pull out the entire thing and start over. This site showed me how to fix mistakes and the video's are fantastic... I never need to worry about forgetting any of the methods cuz they're all here on video :yay:

anyway i just finished a scarf for my grandfather and am starting one for my grandmother. :thumbsup:

EABP213
11-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Hello, my name is Erin and I am an avid crochet-er however new to knitting and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I have put the crochet hook down for now in order to concentrate on the challenge of mastering something new...knitting. Any tips for a beginer would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Erin

motelboss
11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
wow, I am so happy to have found this site!!! You do a great job so much information. Just love it. Keep up the great work. I am looking for some patterns for knit rugs not just a garter stitch but with some detail. I seem to only be able to find crochet patterns, can any one help? Thanks again.

bhhlcarlson
11-03-2007, 11:45 AM
I am a newbie knitter as of Jan of this year and have relied on this site for a lot of my questions. I hope have made several projects and would love to share the pics.at a http://www.freewebs.com/bhhlcarlson

my new project is making an attmept at double knitting. i am starting with a scarf with stipes to keep it simple for now.

i still have a lot to learn and am still having problems turning the heel on sock patterns. i have discovered that toe up socks are a little easier for me to understand.

good luck to all! :happydance:

bhhlcarlson
11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Like crochet i have discovered that it is all in how you hold yarn to get you comfortable with it. you will have to decide if you are going to knit english or continental. i have tried both and have decided english feels to best for me. i have tried the european method but holding the yarn in the left hand and squishing my fingers together to make the stitch makes my hand feel cramped. As soon as you have decided on a style you will feel more comfortable ...i know i did.

Visit my site to see pics of my projects as an english knitter.
freewebs.com/bhhlcarlson.cloud9

gflds82k
11-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I have been wanting to learn to knit for some time now. I am trying but, Still stuggling to "GET IT" I can cast on pretty well but flubbers from there. YOu videos are helping me out!Thanks:muah:

starburst
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi! I'm Sarah and I've been knitting since last December. I finally took the plunge and started a sweater for my niece yesterday. It's almost done and I'm really excited :)

jacksgrands
11-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Forums are new to me, knitting is not. I have knit off and on again since learning how from my college roommate. By the way, that was years ago as I now knit for my young grandson!

I look forward to sharing with, and learning with all of you. I'm from Maine, USA and winter in Sarasota,Florida.Greetings

Jeremy
11-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Welcome to all of our new members!:hug:

daisey
11-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Hello All!
I am new here and new to knitting. I am SO SO glad I found this site--it has been a tremendous help already. It's like having my own knitting tutor right in my living room whenever I need her! Thank you.
I am just learning the basics, but I am eager to start a project. I've already bought some yarn with plans to start a blanket.
Cheers!
Daisey

Alibooknits
11-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi, it's time to switch our clocks back an hour for Daylight Savings (I can't remember if this is going off or going on DST), so I'm using my extra hour to join KnittingHelp! The entire KnittingHelp.com site is a fabulous resource. Kudos to the founders and to the staffers!:yay:

vegdumpling
11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
hi everyone, i am starting to learn to knit right now. that's my goal for my vacation this week.

i live in new york, am vacationing in ft lauderdale, have a cat and a dog, can't seem to type this morning and i am a vegetarian who is thinking about becoming a vegan.

the thing is i have a pattern that i can't seem to read. it says: row 1, k2, p2 across row. end with k3.

i thought maybe this meant i had to do that double stitch thing, but then wouldn't the scraf just keep getting smaller. what's does k2 and k3 and p2 refer to?

oh, but so far i have learned how to do a knit and a purl stitch. these videos are awesome!

Jeremy
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.:hug: It means that you alternate two knit stitches with two purl stitches all the way across the row. In other words, you are creating ribbing.It should end with three knit stitches, not two. Anytime you are stuck, just go on over to the pattern central forum or the help forum.:thumbsup: