PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Jeremy
11-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Welcome to all of our new members.:hug:

prncs365
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Hello All,
My name is Courtney and I am a first time knitter. I bought a book and have been looking at various online videos to grasp the knitting basics. Is there anyone online tonight that could answer me a couple very easy questions? I have figured out how to do the double cast on however when I go to start the knitting process using the right hand needle I have very little space between needles. I can barely move them they are so tight? I did the cast on stitches a few times making this last round very loose and it is still making my needles sewn together. How do I fix this?

Ingrid
11-04-2007, 11:05 PM
The first thing to check is to see if you're putting in the needle correctly--through the front loop from left to right. Don't tug on the yarn when you're casting on or knitting; let the needles and yarn determine your tension. :think: What else. . . If you have a larger needle, try casting on that one and knitting with a thinner one--that might help.

If you are doing everything correctly, persevere on knitting that first row. The second should be a lot easier. Hang in there!!

For future reference, you'll get more notice if you post questions in the How-To forum. More people hang out there.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.:hug:

evenellen
11-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I am not only new to knitting but also to to this type of communication. Please be patient. I was excited to hear about this website....looks like it will be of great help to me.

Kithic
11-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker finally getting around to posting an intro. My name is Heather and I started knitting just over a year ago thanks to the vidoes on KH! This is such an awesome site and I look forward to getting to know everyone.:)

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome to both of you. I'm glad you joined.

BAS
11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
:grphug: Hi -I am in the Uk and have just found this site. I did crochet and some macrame but have lost all my patterns (unless they are still hiding in the loft!) but I returned to knitting after a few years break and have just finished a cardigan but pattern says Join it together with top sewing -can someone please tell me what that means.
Here in the Uk we call things by different names so I look forward to learning. The first one is bind off -we call it cast off

heartcarved
11-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi, all! My name is Lindsay and without this website, I would not be knitting. About a year and a half ago, I decided I wanted to learn to knit, but found it really hard to figure things out from diagrams and books... and I'm here at the site constantly, but never registered, so here I am!

I'm a continental knitter and I really enjoy making things and then giving them away. I'm almost done with my Christmas knitting; I'm just working on an Irish Hiking Scarf for my mother in law. I wish I had known sooner that cables aren't as hard as they look -- I've been having a lot of fun with this scarf (http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/heartcarved/irish.jpg) so far!

Anyway, I'm glad to be here!

Jan in CA
11-06-2007, 12:25 AM
That's a lovely scarf, heartcarved! Welcome to all!

AnnJ
11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I didn't realize that you had to post regularly on this site. I got an e-mail today about that issue. I have gone back to work so my time is extremely limited. I am working on a Precious Moments cross stitch Advent calender in my spare time.
AnnJ

knitwitnurse
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi, I'm Carol, aka knitwitnurse and I've been knitting for about 5 years. It's a hobby which is quickly overtaking every empty space in my house as I try to find new places to stash yarn. 26 plastic shoe boxes of yarn isn't too much, is it? Nah, didn't think so. I found this site while searching for a pattern for cabled mittens. Any patterns, anyone? Thanks in advance and thanks for letting me be a member.

Jeremy
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi,
I didn't realize that you had to post regularly on this site. I got an e-mail today about that issue. I have gone back to work so my time is extremely limited. I am working on a Precious Moments cross stitch Advent calender in my spare time.
AnnJ
Hi Ann. I'm very happy you posted but please don't feel obliged to post on a schedule. The computer just sends out a message if we haven't heard from you in a while. Please enjoy your time with the Advent calender.

Jeremy
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi, I'm Carol, aka knitwitnurse and I've been knitting for about 5 years. It's a hobby which is quickly overtaking every empty space in my house as I try to find new places to stash yarn. 26 plastic shoe boxes of yarn isn't too much, is it? Nah, didn't think so. I found this site while searching for a pattern for cabled mittens. Any patterns, anyone? Thanks in advance and thanks for letting me be a member.
You've now reached enablers central. I doubt we'd tell you its too much if you bought a warehouse full of yarn. Welcome:hug:

LuLandymore
11-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi all!

Joinde this site through the many links to it on the begginners knitting group on yahoo.

Been looking for a forum to join so am glad to be here.

I am a VERY new knitter and fear that I will bug you all with my daft questions but am so grateful for the helpful videos that are on this site (sooooo much better than trying to follow photos or drawn pictures!)

I am midway through my first project, which is a headband, easy peasy, CO 20sts and knit till desired length.

I ordered a starter kit from ebay and it arrived today with bucket loads of bits and bobs in, I feel prepared and readyto face the world of knitting now, there's no stopping me! :woohoo:

LOL

elaineb
11-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just found this site and I love it! I am currently trying to make the FT clogs. I'm new at knitting , so I am glad I found this site!-Elaineb

LittleGoblin
11-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Hello all. I know how to do some very basic patterns with Crochet and have always wanted to learn how to Knit. My Mother-in-law suggested I start with 8mm needles (14"). the Yarn I have is Light Pink Baby & Fingering Weight 3-ply (84% acrylic, 16% olefin ?). It is VERY soft, but thin... I watched the Long Tail Cast On video, and then the Small Demo video to learn how to "turn around". The problem I'm having is, as I knit and slip the stitches, the yarn in between the needles seems to get longer and longer, almost like I'm not tightening the new stitch when I "put it on the other needle". Make sense? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Do I need thicker yarn for my first project? Do I need smaller needles for the yarn I'm using? Any help would be appreciated... LittleGoblin@Gmail.com (or post to this forum).

Ingrid
11-07-2007, 11:27 PM
8mm needles are too big for fingering weight yarn. You'd need about a 4 for that. Get some worsted weight yarn and some 5-6 mm needles to start, in my opinion; or try the worstedd with the needles you have. Thin yarn and thick needles essentially makes lace, so you'd expect big spaces in it.

Welcome to the forum--everyone, that is!:waving:

LittleGoblin
11-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks Ingrid! I have some old yarn (what I would consider "regular" yarn) that I guess I can try instead. I wanted to make the beginner pattern for the Elongated Stitch Scarf for my 4 year old daughter. That's why I was going to use the baby yarn... Oh well...

Ingrid
11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Give it time. You'll be reeled in an will end up with every size needle and piles of yarns. Bwahahahahah!:mrgreen:

kelly4w
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Hello,

I have desided I want to learn to knit!:cheering:

I am apart of a few cloth diapering forums & have seen some great kniting work like longies:inlove: !
So here I am I am ready to learn I might have a few or A LOT of questions:aww:

Thanks mamas:-P

Quyen
11-08-2007, 11:39 AM
hello!
I'm Quyen. I like crochetting and knitting. And i want to learn more about them :inlove: Besides that, i want to practise English. My English is not good. :aww: When know this website, I like it so much. Because i can learn both knitting and English. :p
Nice to meet you.
Good luck!;)

sasmz_07
11-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm new here and new to knitting. I am a little confused on a next step and I guess I'm also confused as to how this forum works. Why am I seeing postings from 2004 and 2005? I would prefer seeing current.

sasmz_07
11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I am doing a scarf for my 1st project. It's 2 color. How do I start the new color? Do I make a slip knot to start or just loop the new color in at the beginning of the new row? I looked for a video, but didn't see one. Please let me know or direct me to the video if I missed it. Thank you!!!!:think:

Chikky
11-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi there. New here; not necessarily to knitting, but I'm no pro, that's for sure!

I look forward to meeting and discussing!

Jeremy
11-09-2007, 01:00 AM
I am doing a scarf for my 1st project. It's 2 color. How do I start the new color? Do I make a slip knot to start or just loop the new color in at the beginning of the new row? I looked for a video, but didn't see one. Please let me know or direct me to the video if I missed it. Thank you!!!!:think:
Hi Welcome to the forum. There are videos in the advanced section which deal with knitting with two colors.

losnana
11-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Give it time. You'll be reeled in an will end up with every size needle and piles of yarns. Bwahahahahah!:mrgreen:
Ingrid, shame on you! contributing to the delinquency of a ...(whatever):yay: :yay:

gkjarvis
11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
This is my first time here. Thanks for this great site. I "sort of taught myself to knit" years ago but do just basic things. I needed to find out how to "inc" since it had been awhile and I searched "how to knit" and found this wonderful help site. I love the videos. Makes it much easier to learn.

cheryljacobs
11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I love this website and the idea of knitters helping knitters.
I know as a beginning knitter I should be following patterns, but sometimes I get an idea or a request from a friend or family member and just try something.

Well this time it turned out bad: I just finished a scarf which I did in the round so that I could have 3 long stripes. I did it all stockinette and when I casted off, the scarf rolls inward on the long sides SO tightly that it looks like a long sausage roll!! I'm so bummed. I didn't think it would roll since I did it length-wise.

Any ideas on how to fix it, or graft something onto it, etc.? I am totally open for any suggestions or personal experience tips. Thanks so much!

happyanddandy
11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi I'm Paula and I found the forum yesterday and was very keen to join up. I am almost a lifelong knitter taught by by grandmother about age 8. She was fantastic at crochet as well although I never learned the skill. Recently I have endeavoured to teach myself without success - I haven't given up yet it is just the time factor.

I have loads of outstanding projects probably about 8 or 9. I do get bored knitting only one thing. I knit for myself and my family mainly but have knitted for others. I just heard today my work colleague is pregnant so I am itching to knit some baby things!

Knitting seems to be making a comeback over here but I know very few others among my friends and relatives who are as keen as me and sadly my 13 year old is not interested yet.

Looking forward to participating soon :)

Jeremy
11-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I love this website and the idea of knitters helping knitters.
I know as a beginning knitter I should be following patterns, but sometimes I get an idea or a request from a friend or family member and just try something.

Well this time it turned out bad: I just finished a scarf which I did in the round so that I could have 3 long stripes. I did it all stockinette and when I casted off, the scarf rolls inward on the long sides SO tightly that it looks like a long sausage roll!! I'm so bummed. I didn't think it would roll since I did it length-wise.

Any ideas on how to fix it, or graft something onto it, etc.? I am totally open for any suggestions or personal experience tips. Thanks so much!

I'm having trouble envisioning exactly what you did but one way to stop that curling would be to pick up the stitches along the edge and knit on a garter stitch border. I would make it at least 5 or 6 stitches deep. Then I would block it.You might also find this link helpful. We have a sticky on this subject.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32810

Jeremy
11-09-2007, 04:00 PM

SnarfyCat
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Well, here goes. My name is gretchen et Im a knitaholic. *waits to hear the 'hi gretchen' from everyone*

My grandma taught me to knit/purl a couple of years ago, et as I am one of those annoying people that can read the directions et learn, I have slowly been adding to my repetoire of stitches. (BTW, I am a terrible speller with a great vocab, don't ask me how that happens) I found this site et am dipping my toe into the forum world et man, is it overwhelming!! Uffda!

I am currently a travel nurse that is on assignment in Sioux Falls, SD through Jan (for now) et lets just say, traveling doesn't make for getting real close friends, so I don't have a knitting circle to join. So here I am. Any recommendations on the best way to navigate this site is definitely a positive.

Hope to meet a lot of knitters here. We are a select et amazing group of folks! :woohoo: :hug:

Beating_Earth
11-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Well, since DH is home I can now sit down without DD and write my very first post. :woohoo:
I found this site thru another site I found by googling. The videos here are great BTW. Much help.
I am still working on getting my knit to work out the way I want it to, then onto the purl. I'm probably the most novice person here but hey, we all gotta start somewhere right, LOL.
My name is Misha and I live in Ontario, Canada with my DH of 1 1/2 years and our 5 1/2 month old DD. We just bought our home this past Sept and share it with 2 cats, 2 dogs, a turtle, a newt and multiple fish.

I was playing with DD one day and realized that I have all these beautiful blankets and I have no idea how to make them myself, so here I am.
I have bought myself a set of crochet hooks, some lime green yarn (I love colour). I borrowed The Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crocheting from a friend and she also gave me a set of rather large wooden needles.
The book is a great start but the videos online really help. Watching seems to be better than pictures.

I may not be able to post very often since DD doesnt like me to do anything but pay attention to her ... so much like her mama ... but I will pop in on a regular basis.

Thanks for the site, I love it.
Blessings to all
Misha :knitting:

losnana
11-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Welcome, Misha.

Jeremy
11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, here goes. My name is gretchen et Im a knitaholic. *waits to hear the 'hi gretchen' from everyone*

My grandma taught me to knit/purl a couple of years ago, et as I am one of those annoying people that can read the directions et learn, I have slowly been adding to my repetoire of stitches. (BTW, I am a terrible speller with a great vocab, don't ask me how that happens) I found this site et am dipping my toe into the forum world et man, is it overwhelming!! Uffda!

I am currently a travel nurse that is on assignment in Sioux Falls, SD through Jan (for now) et lets just say, traveling doesn't make for getting real close friends, so I don't have a knitting circle to join. So here I am. Any recommendations on the best way to navigate this site is definitely a positive.

Hope to meet a lot of knitters here. We are a select et amazing group of folks! :woohoo: :hug:
Welcome Gretchen. I knew some traveling nurses a long time ago. They usually traveled to the part of the country they wanted to be in for that particular season ie. New England for the fall, Florida for the winter etc. Its the first time I ever saw anyone wanting to winter in South Dakota. Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Members have different routines in wandering around here with different areas of interest. Try the OT forum. Its a great place to make friends and get to know members. If you are looking for something to knit try the pattern forum for ideas. Glad you came across us.

KerryKnitter
11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Salina, I live in Ireland and I'm 16 years old. (17 next february) I'm a beginner at knitting and have just completed my first project, a jumper for my dog although it is more of a cardigan so I'm hoping to improve on that lol!
besides knitting, I'm interested in animal rescue, horse riding and travelling. :)
I have a westie called muffy and a staffie x called patch but also look after a few other neighbours dogs etc!

LittleGoblin
11-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, I'm having a good time so far. (Haven't actually been able to "start" something, just practicing casting on and then turning around). The US 11 are HUGE (my Mom-In-Law suggesting size 8 and I grabbed 8.00 mm. Didn't see the US 11, dangit!) so I tried using some of my tapered bamboo chopsticks. Believe it or not, I've been able to do about 6 rows ON CHOPSTICKS!!! But the problem I'm having now is knitting the very last loop from the Cast On. (I can cast on the stitches all right, and then start knitting. Everything seems to be going good, until I get to that last stitch...) It's REALLY REALLY loose. Almost like the stitch is supposed to be looped through one more time or something. I've tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong?

(P.S. Good news is my Mom has some size US 6 needles that I borrowed. I will play with those and try to cast on/turn around.)

I want to practice just casting on and then knitting a few rows until I can get consistent eenough to try a "real" project. I think I'll do the typical "potholder" to practice. Or maybe a scarf?

littlegoblin@gmail.com

Kelneros
11-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Hello to everyone! A friend of mine recommended this site to me for help with my newest addiction . . . knitting. :) I've been doing a little bit of looking around and I think I'm going to love it here! I'm wondering if anyone could share with me what the abbreviations at the end of people's posts are :aww: , for example, OTN, OTH, etc.

Thanks and I can't wait to get started on my next project. :)
~Kel

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Here you go. Welcome to the forum
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 12:56 AM
[quote=LittleGoblin;1001706]Well, I'm having a good time so far. (Haven't actually been able to "start" something, just practicing casting on and then turning around). The US 11 are HUGE (my Mom-In-Law suggesting size 8 and I grabbed 8.00 mm. Didn't see the US 11, dangit!) so I tried using some of my tapered bamboo chopsticks. Believe it or not, I've been able to do about 6 rows ON CHOPSTICKS!!! But the problem I'm having now is knitting the very last loop from the Cast On. (I can cast on the stitches all right, and then start knitting. Everything seems to be going good, until I get to that last stitch...) It's REALLY REALLY loose. Almost like the stitch is supposed to be looped through one more time or something. I've tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. My guess is you are using the backwards loop cast on and that tends to get looser and looser as you go on. The long tail cast on (or really, any of the other cast ons) would be better. Learn another and it will pay big dividends in the look of the knitting and the reduced level of frustration.

Ingrid
11-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Welcome, everyone! Come on in and have a cup of coffee. Or tea. Or whatever. I love that we have people from all over the world!:grphug:

losnana
11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Hello to everyone! A friend of mine recommended this site to me for help with my newest addiction . . . knitting. :) I've been doing a little bit of looking around and I think I'm going to love it here! I'm wondering if anyone could share with me what the abbreviations at the end of people's posts are :aww: , for example, OTN, OTH, etc.

Thanks and I can't wait to get started on my next project. :)
~Kel
Here are the ones that come to mind:
OTN = on the needles
WIP = work in progress
dh, ds, dd, dgd, dgs, = dear husband, son, daughter, grandson, etc
dil, sil,mil,fil = daughter-in-law, etc
IMHO = in my humble opinion
I'm sure others will add more.

WolfSpiderKnits
11-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Uh, hi.

The thingy said I should introduce myself here...

Hi there, in the Knitting world, I'm going by WolfSpider, because I love wolves and spiders are good at weaving with just one string so... here I am. ::Smiles::

I've started an LJ blog...to kind of keep track of my projects.

I've been knitting for years. My first project was a 12' long Dr. Who Scarf as a wedding present for my Husband. After that, I started a big fuzzy scarf for myself, and put down my needles, and promptly lost them.

Recently, my Co-Worker has gotten me into knitting again, and, I've gone great guns.

I've really gotten into it.

I"m kind of hoping to become part of the community somewhere like this. Somewhere that people can really appreciate my mutilated attempts at projects!

multicrafty
11-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I've known about this site for quite sometime now and because of this site I learned how to knit.

A little about me, I am a SAHM to 2 girls and when I get a smidge of freetime I love to knit (as well as other crafts). I have the best husband who not only loves the fact that I craft but supports my yarn (and fabric) addiction. I love to make things for my girls and also for others.

Glad I could be here! and nice to meet everyone! :hug:

SnarfyCat
11-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Welcome Gretchen. I knew some traveling nurses a long time ago. They usually traveled to the part of the country they wanted to be in for that particular season ie. New England for the fall, Florida for the winter etc. Its the first time I ever saw anyone wanting to winter in South Dakota.

*laughs* I have gotten that quite a few times. My grandmother (who is the reason why Im a knitter) lives up here, so I took an assignment so I can spend some time with here. Our elders are so precious, but a lot of times we don't get that figured out until it is too late!!

Lynaire
11-12-2007, 03:31 AM
Hi all,

My name is Lynaire, and I'm a new knitter from Canberra, Australia.

So far I'm having heaps of fun, and I've made lots of little things practising different stitches. I've been knitting for about a month and so far I am able to knit, purl, knit with big needles, join and I've just taught myself the intarsia method (thanks for the video!). My next step is learning cables, knitting in the round and reversible knitting.

I'm looking forward to sharing my projects with everyone, as you seem a really friendly bunch :)

LittleGoblin
11-12-2007, 09:31 AM
My first project was a 12' long Dr. Who Scarf as a wedding present for my Husband.

OMG, do you still have that pattern? My husband LOVES Dr. Who and I bet would get a BIG KICK out of it! :woot:

I'm a beginner here. I haven't even started my first project. I am still practicing casting on, and turning around (read my previous posts here and in the "How To Tips" forum).

Great to "meet" everyone, and as they say: Practice makes perfect!

:muah:

LittleGoblin

sheknitzalot
11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Hello Everyone ... I am newly registered here and just wanted to say HI! ... I live in Central Florida (north of Orlando) and we don't have an organized "knitting group" in this area so I am desperate to find other knitters. I have registered with Ravelry (same name) but to be honest ... I find that site very confusing and difficult to find a common thread ...

Have been knitting for about 10 years (my husband would say non-stop ... lol) mostly with my black lab "Jake" at my feet.

Thanks for having me!

Cin (sheknitsalot)

Jeremy
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Why don't you have a look in the Knitters Knear You forum here? Welcome to the forum :hug:

Jeremy
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Welcome to all of our new members:hug:

Joy Kramer
11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
:knitting: Hi everyone, glad to join all of you, which was quite by accident, but I'm glad I clicked on to be with all of you. I'm from New Jersey and have been knitting since a child. I've done all sorts of crafts but now it's just knitting. I love knitting for babies, maybe because it's "instant gratification". I've done my share of scarves for gifts and myself, lots of sweaters for myself in years past, and am now with a great yarn shop that has different projects constantly going, so now that I'm retired, life is good and sometimes there's not enough time to take on all the projects I want to do. Have just taught my DIL how to knit and she loves it.

nanacanada
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
This is a great website...the videos are WONDERFUL..looking forward to checking in often.

Jeremy
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Welcome to both of you.

Carolebass
11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Hello,

I am brand new to this site and fairly new to knitting. I have a quick question. I am working on my very first baby blanket and I am nearing the end of my first ball of yarn and need to start another. So, do I just work until the end, cast off, and then start another ball of yarn, or leave a tail and then start another ball? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just doing a basic knit stitch - nothing fancy :0)

Carole

cat8521
11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Gang,
I'm a new member. And all of a sudden I feel as if I'm at a AA meeting. You know, stand up and tell us a little about yourself kind of feeling. Anyway I have been knitting for a while but according to what I've seen lately in a new knitting book I bought I must have been doing knitting 101. Because some of these patterns have moves in them I have never heard of before. I started knitting a pattern for my DGD (how fast did I pick up on that!) and now realize I dont' know where to go from here. I need KH. I have watched your wonderful video's but it didn't have anything in it about a Bobble. Also does P4 WYF slip 3 actually mean just holding the yarn in front while I slip 3 stitches over? See I'm a basket case. Anyway It's nice to meet you ladies and I just found your website and love it. Whoever created it, is a genius. I look forward to hearing from you.
In Christ
Cat

Jeremy
11-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Hello,

I am brand new to this site and fairly new to knitting. I have a quick question. I am working on my very first baby blanket and I am nearing the end of my first ball of yarn and need to start another. So, do I just work until the end, cast off, and then start another ball of yarn, or leave a tail and then start another ball? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just doing a basic knit stitch - nothing fancy :0)

Carole

Hi Carole, welcome to the forum. There are several ways to start a new ball. Probably the best way for you to do it would be to tie the new yarn to the old at the begining of a row using a slip knot. Then knit as you usually do. When you are done with the blanket,open the knot and weave both ends in. Amy has a nice video on this here:http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips about half way down.

Jeremy
11-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Hi Gang,
I'm a new member. And all of a sudden I feel as if I'm at a AA meeting. You know, stand up and tell us a little about yourself kind of feeling. Anyway I have been knitting for a while but according to what I've seen lately in a new knitting book I bought I must have been doing knitting 101. Because some of these patterns have moves in them I have never heard of before. I started knitting a pattern for my DGD (how fast did I pick up on that!) and now realize I dont' know where to go from here. I need KH. I have watched your wonderful video's but it didn't have anything in it about a Bobble. Also does P4 WYF slip 3 actually mean just holding the yarn in front while I slip 3 stitches over? See I'm a basket case. Anyway It's nice to meet you ladies and I just found your website and love it. Whoever created it, is a genius. I look forward to hearing from you.
In Christ
Cat

Hi Cat, welcome to the forum. It would help if you could include more of the pattern. The bobble is usually made by first knitting into one stitch a number of times and then knitting back and forth. Amy (the genius) has a video in the advanced technique section.

kaia
11-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Being a crafty sort (just finished sewing my own couch covers) i decided to teach myslef to knit, and found this site as the best resource on the web. Great videos, wonderful community.

I'm a Software Engineer originally from the Boston, MA area, living in the Silicon Valley, CA. Knitting to wind down from long days programming...

HI!

Jeremy
11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Patty Alonso
11-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Hello! Everyone! I am new to knitting and just found this site.
I do not know much about knitting and was really exited to find a site where I could find help... I come from MONTERREY, MEXICO, so please forgive me if I do not express my self properly.

I have been requested by one of my daughters to knit her a blankie...
I decided to use Speed Stix, but I have to cast on 100 stiches, but stiches are too tight on the stix... I have been looking for longer than 14", but have not had any luck... am I looking for something that does not exist? Thank you!

mf18kgold
11-13-2007, 03:40 PM
This is by way of introduction, I am new to this site, and happy to be here. I have been knitting for more years than I care to count. I recently learned how to spin, although I certainly wouldn't call myself a spinner yet. Now that I am retired my goal is to learn how to do all the crafty things I always wanted to but never had time to do. I knit with a group of about 10 to 15 women 3- 4 times a week and the time is always pleasant and often informative , since we are all at different levels of expertise. I hope belonging to this forum will be more of the same kind of experience. ::::muah:

sweetpea2020
11-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Hello all.
My Name is Richelle. I'm new to this site and Knitting. My gramma and aunt showed me how to make squares for making blankets and I am doing a baby blanket right now.:)
I want to learn to knit baby clothing. and hoping this forum will help me learn!

:muah:

hlafayette
11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi all,
I'm excited, as a beginning knitter, to be able to use this site. Does anyone have a pattern for a felted tote/purse for my daughter? She actually asked me to make her one! Thanks.
HL

Jeremy
11-14-2007, 01:12 AM
I do not know much about knitting and was really exited to find a site where I could find help... I come from MONTERREY, MEXICO, so please forgive me if I do not express my self properly.

I decided to use Speed Stix, but I have to cast on 100 stiches, but stiches are too tight on the stix... I have been looking for longer than 14", but have not had any luck... am I looking for something that does not exist? Thank you!
Hi Patty, welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that the 14" refers to the length of your needles. You can do better by using circular needles so you can get much more yarn on. You don't have to knit in the round when you use circulars, you can knit back and forth too. Look at the videos in the video section on how to cast on. Maybe you should try a different way than the one you are using. The best of luck to you.

Jeremy
11-14-2007, 01:13 AM
This is by way of introduction, I am new to this site, and happy to be here. I have been knitting for more years than I care to count. I recently learned how to spin, although I certainly wouldn't call myself a spinner yet. Now that I am retired my goal is to learn how to do all the crafty things I always wanted to but never had time to do. I knit with a group of about 10 to 15 women 3- 4 times a week and the time is always pleasant and often informative , since we are all at different levels of expertise. I hope belonging to this forum will be more of the same kind of experience. ::::muah:

Welcome, I'm a new spinner too.

Jeremy
11-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi all,
I'm excited, as a beginning knitter, to be able to use this site. Does anyone have a pattern for a felted tote/purse for my daughter? She actually asked me to make her one! Thanks.
HL

Here is one here. http://www.keyboardbiologist.net/Patterns/LittlePartitionedBag.html
I would also ask in Pattern Central and there is a great pattern site www. knittingpatterncentral.com to try as well. Welcome to the forum.

Jeremy
11-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the forum Richelle.

raymonde
11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Krista Jo--I know why you haven't heard of this site before: it's because I just launched it this week! LOL :) Well, I had an old site, but it only had a handful of videos, like 10 or less.

Thanks for the nice comments Krista Jo and NancyG! They make my day!
This is a lovely site, but I have met quite by chance, as I was looking for a clear explanation of "ssk". My question has been aply replied to.

I am a 71 y old grandmotheer and I used to knit when I was young. Now I would like to start again as I am retired (I used to be a PA). I have started a pink cardigan with a lot of "trou-trous" (small holes) as we say in French. Incidentally, I live in Belgium.

Love to you all.

Patty Alonso
11-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks! Jeremy... I will then look for circular needles... I saw some at store, but honestly was affraid to use them.
I will keep you posted how it ends up.

sop 1
11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Amy,
I am not a new person. I've been actively involved with the forum for quite a while. Today I got a PM through this forum from someone who "picked me" at random to read and review a book this person wrote. I don't think that's the purpose of even the General area. Maybe I am off base but thought you should know.
Thanks.
Susan in NC aka Sop 1

Jeremy
11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
You're welcome Patty. Keep us posted:)

Bienvenue a' nos forum Raymonde.

Jeremy
11-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Amy,
I am not a new person. I've been actively involved with the forum for quite a while. Today I got a PM through this forum from someone who "picked me" at random to read and review a book this person wrote. I don't think that's the purpose of even the General area. Maybe I am off base but thought you should know.
Thanks.
Susan in NC aka Sop 1

Thanks for the heads up. Several of us got it. We're in the process of dealing with it right now.

Ingrid
11-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Amy,
Thanks.
Susan in NC aka Sop 1

It looks like a spammer invaded out PM's. They've been banned.

spooky
11-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Kids!! Remember when?? Well, she's back again!! LOL!! I've been gone tooooooooooo long!! The site looks amazing!! Loves it!! I think I left around the time we got the new icons!! Dang its been nearly a year. You see we bought a house then had to repair this and paint that and oh my comp was down for like 3 months and then it worked for a month and then it was down for another month LOL!!! Ahhhh and hubby is a computer programmer.... THat's just not right!! Anyways, I hope to be visiting more often!!
YOUR Bud,
Spooky

Jeremy
11-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Welcome back Spooky.:hug:

mostlytrue
11-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Hello everyone!

My sister just told me about this site. I'm sure I'll find it very helpful! I am not so good at reading patterns, so I usually try to design something myself while looking at a pattern for guidelines. But when I get stuck (like now!) hopefully I'll get some help here!

Cheers!
MT

Justasia
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
:waving:

Hello! I learned of this site from a book I bought recently (I think it was Punk Knits). It's a great site. I'm glad I found it.
I've only been knitting seriously for about 8 months now, and still have a lot to learn. I am positive I will find it very helpful. Perhaps it will help me overcome my fear of cables.
I love the more, unusual projects. And have so far finished three projects. One scarf and two sets of arm warmers. Someday i have hopes of finishing the afghan I am knitting for my grandfather.

Jeremy
11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome to both of you.:)

DianaM
11-16-2007, 02:56 AM

I'm from Tampico, Mexico. Welcome Regiomontana!! My brother lives in Monterrey.

fibrenut
11-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Hiya ladies n gents!!! I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. My name is Tami and I live in Colorado (no not in any of the kewl parts). I have 7 kids and 2 grandbabies (one who turns two the 23rd.) I have been knitting since I was bout 7 or 8:knitting: and have designed a couple things or two. I hope I get to meet n chat with a few of ya'll and we can share about our favorite addiction (namely yarn). Nice to meetcha all!!!

Spokaloo
11-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Hello! I'm not new to knitting, but I am new to the WORLD of knitters! Where have you all been all my life???

You see, no one in my family either knitted or crocheted -- both of which I taught myself from books when I was about 12 or so. So, I've never really had anyone with whom I could share my experiences. My mom learned to knit later in life, but didn't take to it with the same abandonment as I did and she virtually gave it up after about 5 years.

But now I've found this and other knitting web sites. Places with people that can relate when I talk about being so excited about starting a new project that I stayed up almost all night working on it. It's like walking into the "Cheers" bar and I'm Norm! (and if you get that reference, you've been watching waaaaaaaay too much TV!)

Well, now that I found you folks, you're gonna see a lot of me! Thanks for letting me in the door!

Ingrid
11-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Norm!

Welcome, everyone!

mwall
11-17-2007, 01:45 AM
I decided to start knitting today; any help w/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Which yarn is better to use as a beginner? I have 3 needle sizes. I can cast on and that's it. Thanks Sue-heretic for your suggestions.

MWall-Big Hair; Ft Worth, Texas

wordfeeder
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi Amy and everyone!

My foray into the happy world of knit purl began with a random discover y of Crazy Aunt Purl at crazyauntpurl.com. Her projects looked so delightful and the girls at her Stitch 'n Bitch group just seemed like they were having so much good, clean fun that I had to try. So I got me a set of needles, ball of yarn and instruction card and then...

ended up confused, knitting backwards and inside out, seeking support here on Amy's amazing site. Knitting is really a watch-and-learn activity which makes your idea for knitting videos brilliant and SO helpful!!

I know a couple of knitters, but they're not local so it's difficult for me to get answers from them on the phone, not to mention knitting books are useless if you're brand new to the hobby. Since discovering Knittinghelp.com, I can come here and click the little pink video camera icon every time I have a question or want to try a new technique. I can't stay away!

My progress has not been super quick but it's been a fun learning experience nevertheless. Soon I'll begin to understand gauge and from there maybe I'll actually knit a "real" project!

Thanks again Amy for starting this and for your instructions. I love to watch and learn as those magic knitting fingers fly!

Dina

Miley384
11-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Salina, I live in Ireland and I'm 16 years old. (17 next february) I'm a beginner at knitting and have just completed my first project, a jumper for my dog although it is more of a cardigan so I'm hoping to improve on that lol!
besides knitting, I'm interested in animal rescue, horse riding and travelling. :)
I have a westie called muffy and a staffie x called patch but also look after a few other neighbours dogs etc!
Hey Selena! I bet that litte cardigan you knit is cute! I am in the process of knitting my litttle puppy a sweater. Best wishes in future knitting!

a.shin.grace
11-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Hello,

I'm a novice knitter beginning her first real project! Simple scarf for my boyfriend's father. I have a set of circular needles and 4 balls of yarn and with a little luck I'll be able to turn all that into a scarf! The plan is to just do knit stiches all the way around to get a tube of stockinettt, then fold it in half and sew up the seams at each end. Sounds the easiest, like a good first project.

Any pointers before I begin?

I'm so glad I found this website, you'll certainly be hearing a lot from me!

losnana
11-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I decided to start knitting today; any help w/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Which yarn is better to use as a beginner? I have 3 needle sizes. I can cast on and that's it. Thanks Sue-heretic for your suggestions.

MWall-Big Hair; Ft Worth, Texas

When you're first learning you may find wool or acrylic worsted yarn and larger needles, i.e. size 7,8 or 9 much easier to work with. It is also much easier to see the stitch definition, so you can see exactly what you are doing.
Cotton is not as satisfactory for a beginner because it does not have the memory that wool does. There are washable wools out there, as well as some acrylics that are very soft and comfy.

Good luck. Keep us all informed of your progress. We're as bad as drug dealers about getting others "hooked" on our vice!

pinktoque
11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
This site and the videos are my knitting bible. I don't know what I would do without it! My mother in law taught me the basics... casting on and the knit stitch. The rest I learned from here. And I'm continuing to learn every day! I can't even begin to list all of the things I've learned from KnittingHelp.com, but I love that I can always reference it as needed when I forget how to do something or want to learn a new technique. Thank you!

Jeremy
11-18-2007, 11:39 PM
We're glad you're here. :hug:

macoconnor
11-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone. I just joined "Knitting help" and I was wondering where was this site when I was learning how to knit, but oh woe is me, I learned to knit in the dark ages, we barely had telephones!!!LOL. I am almost 76 years old, and I just retired, I am a widow, my children are all grown, basically gone on to their own lives. I have 5 grandchildren and 1 great Grandson, so all seems to be going well on that end. I married at 18, raised my Sons, and when I was widowed 36 years later, I went into elected public life for over 21 years, and retired January 2007. I'm not rich enough to do a lot of travelling, so I thought I would start knitting. In my other life I did knit a pair of argyle socks for my boyfriend, it was very stylish then to knit a pair for the guy you would soon be marrying, with all of those bobbins hanging around, it was a lot of fun LOL...but that was almost 60 years ago. I have a million questions, and I'm happy to be here, I hope to get to know all of you soon. Thanks

Nonie2002
11-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks!
Love the learn-how videos! My lefty DD inspired me to resume knitting last Fall. I completed 1 pr toddler mittens, 1 1/2 neckwarmers before my shoulder broke in a fall last Feb. Now trying to figure how to intarsia a D into DS's 40th bday scarf - graph paper, or has anyone invented a PC version?

carsophia
11-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Hope things are going well with your first Baby blanket... & I hope you found your answer in the great videos on-line here... Under "Tips" -
knit on!
Kelly

JiggyJ
11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
:knitting: Hi Everyone, I've returned to knitting after many years. Why I gave it up I don't know, it is always enjoyable and I love the fact you can take it anywhere. I sewed previously, while enyoyable knitting is a better fit for me now. I like hanging with Hubby, in front of tv, driving down the road, visiting family and friends you can always have your Knitting, YEAH:yay: I look forward to greeting you on this forum.

Have a Great Day! JiggyJ

Jeremy
11-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow. We're so lucky to have such interesting people join here. Welcome everyone.:hug:

wholycow
11-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Thank you so much for being here, extremely helpful with very nice people. I need to come visit more often.:inlove:

missakris
11-20-2007, 04:06 AM
This site has already been so helpful. The videos are terrific and one of the best learning tools around.

I look forward to participating in future conversations.

My Mom has knitted and crocheted since she was seven. She did her best to get me going early in life, but it just didn't take. Now I'm finally getting handy at it and enjoying myself!

I look forward to meeting a number of you and using your expertise as I learn this marvelous craft.

~Kris
cloud9

vintagegirl
11-20-2007, 05:15 AM
Glad I came across this site; looks very helpful!

I am an American living in the UK. Been knitting for ever, but have lots to learn. I learned in college from my roommate, and eventually took a couple week long class to really manage the basics. I've been trying to teach my niece to knit, but hard, as I am overseas and she in Atlanta!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

vintagegirl

b4tunee
11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi, just found this site and have enjoyed it a lot. I am a long time knitter but enjoy learning new things and taking a few minutes to visit with other knitters. :knitting:

Path
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi - I just started knitting when I retired and I love it - I really enjoy this site

busy_hands
11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi all!
I am a recent knitting fanatic..over the last three weeks since a friend sent me a link to this awesome site I have finished three scarves and am working on my fourth!
Thanks for making learning this skill so easy! I wouldn't have been able to learn if it wasn't for this site!!;)

OffJumpsJack
11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Hello, my mom taught me to crochet over 30 years ago (I think) and to knit. At the time I crochetted a hat, scarf, doily and a pillow. :guyknitting:

I haven't crochet in years and never did completed a knitting project. :roll:

My daughter has asked me to teach her and so I sought to refresh my memory on how to do it properly.

www.knittinghelp.com is a wonderful help and has excellent movies!

I know I won't have time to come visit often, but wanted to be able to post a few questions.

Jack

she
11-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey there,
I'm another beginner and found your site whilst I was looking for some help and was delighted to find all your videos! Thanks so much, I have high hopes I'll actually find the help I need now!:woot:
Cheers
she

jean rosanne
11-21-2007, 01:08 PM
hello. my name is jean rosanne and i am new to the forum. i live in strathaven in lanarkshire. i am retired now, so have more time to follow my hobbies which include knitting and sewing. i am looking forward to sharing news and views with you all.:muah:

Jeremy
11-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Welcome everyone :hug:

JoanL
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
This is my first time to visit this website. I am from Colorado and love to knit but find that I don't have a lot of time, so mostly do small projects. I hope to get some help on a new hat pattern that I am anxious to start for my son.

fibrenut
11-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Joan,
Welcome to the party!!:happydance: I am from Colorado also, (woohoo). I live in Northeast CO halfway between Sterling and Greeley.

Patti-Ann
11-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm a doll maker and designer. I knit for dolls and also for new Great Grandbabies. Are there any other doll clothing knitters here? Patti-Ann

AspieKnitter
11-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi.... my name is Scott Kramer. I am a new knitter, having completed my first scarf. I am proud of what I accomplished, because my mom's getting that as my Christmas gift this year. I enjoy knitting because it relaxes me greatly. I am part of a knitting group that meets two houses down from mine, so that is very convenient for me to be a part of and such. Thank you for creating this group and for allowing me to learn from other knitters. I am still having problems (I forget the terminology).. casting on I believe. I can watch videos but I'd have to watch them over and over again before I could do what is said. Once I am casted on, I'm fine. I just don't use my hands well.

Thanks, Scott

Jeremy
11-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Welcome Scott. Keep up the perseverence, it will pay off and you'll be doing this without even thinking about it.

whatfun
11-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Patti and I just started knitting again after doing it as a teen many years ago. I just learn to knit in the round and love it. It goes so fast. I hope to learn a lot from you all.
Thanks for the great site.:happydance:

Pamelapoopa
11-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi!

My name is Pam & I just discovered this site today. I'm new to knitting in the round with dp needles & am currently working on a pair of mittens. Since I taught myself how to do this, of course I have a few questions. This website is such a good idea! Can't wait to get started.

Thanks a bunch,

Pam:)

bizblue
11-24-2007, 01:35 AM
My name is Elizabeth but all of My friends call me Biz. I'm thirteen and i enjoy knitting a lot. I have made scarfs and hats and pillows but thats about it. I have a lot of questions but right now, i am just saying hi. Thanks for such a great site!:yay:

Biz

Vanchy
11-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Hi,
my name is Vanchy. I like to knitt and crochet. I discovered this web site today. This site is great! :yay:

myneonlunchbox
11-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Hi guys! I am new to this forum. I learned how to knit a 4 years ago, but have only knitted a few things. I need help finishing a scarf I am knitting for a Christmas present.

I watched the video on casting off, but I need to know what to do with the other side, the side I began on, when I am done casting off? So that it looks like the finished side.

Does this make sense? Do I just thread the yarn through it? There must be a technique, I just can't find it. Please help! I need good directions so I can finish it in time!

KellyM728
11-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Just saying hi..

I started teaching myself how to knitt last year and managed to make it through half a scarf before quitting. Now I'm back at it, hoping to stick with it and actually learn how to knit!

Right now I'm working on a ribbed merino wool scarf, and I think ribbing is going to be the end of me. It's SO frustrating!

Jeremy
11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi guys! I am new to this forum. I learned how to knit a 4 years ago, but have only knitted a few things. I need help finishing a scarf I am knitting for a Christmas present.

I watched the video on casting off, but I need to know what to do with the other side, the side I began on, when I am done casting off? So that it looks like the finished side.

Does this make sense? Do I just thread the yarn through it? There must be a technique, I just can't find it. Please help! I need good directions so I can finish it in time!

Hi welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that what you are asking is what to do with the tail of the yarn you started with. You weave that yarn in following the pattern you knit. You will see a bunch of bumps, on at least one side like this_-_-_-_-. Go up through the lower one and down through the upper one. If you have further questions, post them in the How to forum. You'll get an answer a lot quicker there-like minutes.

ranscribe
11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi. My name is Randa, and I've just found this site. It's fantastic. I taught myself to knit years ago, and I have done many simple things. I've already used the site to correct some of the things I was doing wrong or my own way which wasn't correct. I have thought about taking a course in knitting at a local shop, but I just never seem to have the time. This is available when I am available. Thank you.

Jeremy
11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Welcome Randa.:hug:

Arkacy
11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to knitting. I saw a friend knit yesterday and she was amazing. I enjoyed watching her and she taught me how to knit a scarf (well, only the middle). This forum looks like a lot of fun. Oh by the way, I'm a 15 year old sophomore in High School and I am a guy. My friends would probably not dare to knit but I can really care less; it looks like a lot of fun and I want to make it a hobby.

nanarose
11-25-2007, 03:10 PM
I am a new member!! I have been knitting for awhile but get stumped every now and then:knitting:

madz
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
hi Im madz,,,im just a new knitters...I got this pattern that i got in the internet..It was nice and i really want to make it for my daugther.But i got problem.Can you pls help.What do you mean by K the knit sts and P the purl sts?..thanks

Maddiemoos
11-25-2007, 11:33 PM
I just want to say hello. :) I am a knitting noob, I really want to learn, but I have been having a hard time. I came across this site while looking for help, it's great! Thanks for the videos and info, very helpful. I'm keeping on trying, this site will be invaluable! Thanks again!

dianeschafer
11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
My husband and I, along with Chaos, our male, 9 year old chocolate lab, recently moved from Texas to Cambridge, Ontario due to a 2 year work assignment. Along with the move, I have discovered Ebay, cold weather, menopause, and my passion for learning to knit. We are expecting the arrival of our first grandchild in Jan., 2008. I have been given the pleasure of designing/sewing my daughter's nursery and knitting baby items. Being somewhat of a perfectionist I have started over on several baby sweater's. I finally put the yarn away until I learn knitting the way I should have, understanding how to read directions. I do want to learn to knit so I can give something that I am truly proud of. Both of our daughters loved receiving knitted gifts from Grandma and I want to continue this for my grandchildren. I welcome any ideas, tips, web sites, etc. that anyone can offer. Diane:grphug

Jeremy
11-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

aly70
11-26-2007, 01:49 AM
I am not new to knitting, but I have been mostly been doing scarves, bags and hats. I did learn to increase / decrease with the use of a video from this site! :happydance:

knitpearlz
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Hello Everyone, :)
I'm Knitpearlz,and I'm happy to be here among others that love knitting. I am a 48 yr old mother of 4, 2 grown men, 1 grown daughter and a 13 yr old boy. I am at this time attending college full time in the medical field. I am fairly new to knitting, although I'm teaching myself through self help tutorials and books, I do get stuck on certain patterns. I want to knit my daughter some of those flip top convertible mittens for christmas, I don't believe they are that hard, however my yarn choices I have and needles sizes are somewhat limited by my budget at this time...Any suggestions on a good simple worsted weight pattern for Easy skill level anyone?

LindaHLB
11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Good Morning:

I have been knitting for the last two years, and struggle at times, but am getting more confidence as time goes on. I buy way to much yarn (my winter stash) for projects in the future. My local knit shop which I love is closing and getting my weekly help is going to be more difficult.

I need some advice on Cotton Yarn for a rug. My Son has asked me to make him the Dishrag Rug out of the Mason Dixon Knitting book (page 97). The only instructions on the yarn is to use a heavier yarn then the Peaches and Cream worsted weight they recommend for the Ballband Dishcloth.

I went to my local yarn store and was told to go to one of the "Big Box" stores and look there as they did not have anything that would hold up to being a rug. I went to Joann Fabrics and all they had was something like the Peaches and Cream. Any suggestions that someone could give me I would appreciate.

Thanks
Linda

ConnieC
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi my name is Connie.The only things iv'e made is dishcloths.I want to try my hand at mittens and maybe socks.I'm here to learn to do that invisible cast on.
There's a four corner dishcloth pattern,i think thats the name of it.But i don't know where to start.So here i go.ConnieC

Jeremy
11-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Hello Everyone, :)
I'm Knitpearlz,and I'm happy to be here among others that love knitting. I am a 48 yr old mother of 4, 2 grown men, 1 grown daughter and a 13 yr old boy. I am at this time attending college full time in the medical field. I am fairly new to knitting, although I'm teaching myself through self help tutorials and books, I do get stuck on certain patterns. I want to knit my daughter some of those flip top convertible mittens for christmas, I don't believe they are that hard, however my yarn choices I have and needles sizes are somewhat limited by my budget at this time...Any suggestions on a good simple worsted weight pattern for Easy skill level anyone?
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm going to copy your post and put it in the pattern section under the title "Need flip top mitten pattern." Have a look there soon-you'll be surprised by how fast someone answers.

Jeremy
11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Good Morning:

I have been knitting for the last two years, and struggle at times, but am getting more confidence as time goes on. I buy way to much yarn (my winter stash) for projects in the future. My local knit shop which I love is closing and getting my weekly help is going to be more difficult.

I need some advice on Cotton Yarn for a rug. My Son has asked me to make him the Dishrag Rug out of the Mason Dixon Knitting book (page 97). The only instructions on the yarn is to use a heavier yarn then the Peaches and Cream worsted weight they recommend for the Ballband Dishcloth.

I went to my local yarn store and was told to go to one of the "Big Box" stores and look there as they did not have anything that would hold up to being a rug. I went to Joann Fabrics and all they had was something like the Peaches and Cream. Any suggestions that someone could give me I would appreciate.

Thanks
Linda

Hi Linda. I'm going to copy your post and put it in the general knitting forum. I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you. Look in there very soon because people are usually quick to respond. Look under the title Yarn for dishrag rug?

rgems
11-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone!
I was regular...every day & night knithelp forum gal until Katrina.
I had to begin working on a new career...I now make jewelry! Am having a ball.

But miss knitting...so I decided I would ease my way back in knitting neck bands (so....I can knit and continue to create jewelry for my line! ;-)

Happy to be back...will need lots of help. I'm little rusty

my old name...knitbebe

super good to be back!!
rgems

ignora
11-27-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm new around here... just saying hi. I've been knitting off and on since I learned at 15 or so... let's just say a long time! But, I wouldn't call myself an expert. I still haven't figured out how to knit in more than one color (except for stripes). So, there you have it.

rofe408
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi, I learned to crochet 1 month before our 1st baby. I crocheted my way thru 4 more children. Now I'm crocheting my way thru 7 g'kids. I have a simple knitting machine that I've used (a bed and carriage thing). I like the way knitting looks so I'm going to try hand knitting. Thanx, :balloons: Rose

Jeremy
11-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone!
I was regular...every day & night knithelp forum gal until Katrina.
I had to begin working on a new career...I now make jewelry! Am having a ball.

But miss knitting...so I decided I would ease my way back in knitting neck bands (so....I can knit and continue to create jewelry for my line! ;-)

Happy to be back...will need lots of help. I'm little rusty

my old name...knitbebe

super good to be back!!
rgems

Welcome back. I'm sorry for any trouble you've had from Katrina. Did you just want a new start with a new name or would you like your old name back?

Jeremy
11-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm new around here... just saying hi. I've been knitting off and on since I learned at 15 or so... let's just say a long time! But, I wouldn't call myself an expert. I still haven't figured out how to knit in more than one color (except for stripes). So, there you have it.
Hi Nora. Welcome to the forum. We have some nice videos on how to knit with more than one color.

Nancy 07
11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Nancy and I'm new to knitting and so far I'm really enjoying it. While I was looking for some help I came across this site and it is awesome! It's great to know that there are people who are willing to help a beginning knitter. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I continue to learn.

Nancy

JanisBrunst
11-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi: My name is Jan and I'm a grandmother of five. I'm looking for a pattern of a
v-neck sweater cardigan knitted in the round. I had this pattern but in moving
I've lost or misplaced it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much.

Jeremy
11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi: My name is Jan and I'm a grandmother of five. I'm looking for a pattern of a
v-neck sweater cardigan knitted in the round. I had this pattern but in moving
I've lost or misplaced it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much.
Hi Jan. I'm going to copy your post and put it in Pattern Central so we can get a bigger group of people to help you. Check there in an hour or two. Look under the title "v neck sweater pattern"

Jeremy
11-28-2007, 06:43 PM

Carol Rose
11-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi! I am married for 42 years. Have 3 children and 4 grand children. I love to knit for them and myself. There are so many things to make. Most of the time I make small items. With your help I sure I can knit a sweater and I want to knit socks. Hope to chat with you soon!! Carol :)

ignora
11-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Hi Nora. Welcome to the forum. We have some nice videos on how to knit with more than one color.

Thanks... I'll look at those. It's so nice to have a resource like this!

I guess I should go look at the vids on seaming things together. That's the part I really dislike about knitting, and things tend to be not quite finished for way too long because I'm not comfortable with the sewing part...

losnana
11-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks... I'll look at those. It's so nice to have a resource like this!

I guess I should go look at the vids on seaming things together. That's the part I really dislike about knitting, and things tend to be not quite finished for way too long because I'm not comfortable with the sewing part...
Check out the videos on knitting in the round. I too HATE seaming, so I do everything on circular needles. Since I don't have a sewing machine I don't make cardigans, but still hope to find a way. But by knitting in the round you have almost no seams, i.e. for a pullover sweater, all you would have have is a small area for each underarm, no side or shoulder seams!!!

shifio
11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
i just love talking knitting, and also trying to help people with knitting problems, or getting help with a problem, and its all here yea:muah: i live in inverness scotland with my dh,:heart: light of my life he is, we have 2 sons who live about a hour away, and a daughter who just got married 22 sept, currently squatting in my spare room, desperately trying to find somewhere to live, she does the crochet, taught by me, but i prefer knitting, we both design baby items and sell the patterns on ebay and our website, i drive an ancient rav 4 which died yesterday:waah: and thats about it

LatinaKnitter
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
It has been twenty years since I seriously got tangled and obsessed with a knitting project. I need the kind encouraging words of friends and strangers to help me along my dusty path paved with well-intentions, redheart and snobby yarns.

My Mother did not knit she would crochet.Whe I was young she had a very difficult time trying to teach me. SHe gave up and I started to dream of other things instead of chevron afghans and big booties to fit my unusually large feet. Years later I high tailed off into a marriage with a blonde blue eyed soldier boy and we spent the first three years of our marriage in Germany. There I was exposed to good looking Europeans draped in gorgeous scarfs wearing the most exquisite sweaters. I remember pretty young Mothers on park benches furiously knitting. I remember Oma's and even younger girls carrying away with needle and thread. Everyone but me seem to know how to knit. Their creations were both practical and beautiful too. I was smitten.

I did not speak German and I had to wait till I went back home on leave to purchase how too books andstart learning the basics. Imagine my surprise when I went back to Germany and saw everyone knitting with the yarn in the opposite hand. I was confused but since then have learned about the continetal and the english methods. I wonder if there was some great event that caused the switching of hands in the history of knitting. Why do most Germans knit one way and the Brits another?

Hmm...but I digress

KnittingNat
11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Welcome girls! I'm sure you'll enjoy this great place :hug:

mickeyspal
11-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi all. My name is Laura and I have been knitting for almost 10 years. I am married to a wonderful man named Michael and we have three beautiful children, Christopher 8, Nicholas 6 and Elizabeth 2. I am a huge Disney fan and love to knit. I am currently working on some hats for my nephews and niece for Christmas. One more to go, two down.

losnana
11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Shifio, send us your website. You might also want to post a thread in the Buy/Sell/Swap discussion. There is a sticky about businesses there.

mauibabe
11-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I am a newcomer to this web site but not a newcomer to knitting. Although you would never know it as I have a lot of questions. I live in the West Coast of Canada (we call it the Wet Coast as we get so much rain). I'm looking forward to having all my knitting questions answered.

mauibabe
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
I have a knitting question. Is the right place to ask or should I be directed elsewhere?

uoknitboy
11-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi! I'm a relatively new knitter... I'm a 20-year-old student at the University of Oregon. I knitted a scarf a couple years ago, then didn't knit for a couple years... Now I'm back at it and I've finished a couple more scarves. Hopefully I'll be progressing to more interesting projects soon. :-D

Meme
11-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm Meme, 42 y/o knitter with 8 children and 6 granchildren (2 more on the way).

I learned to knit as a child, although my mother was more of a crocheter than a knitter, so for years I spent most of my crafting time crocheting. It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I got my interests set on knitting and I was determined to knit mittens and socks. When I first thought of trying to use 5 dpn's, the fear of the unknown struck me, but I made it through and would now much rather knit in the round than on straights.

I suffer from a condition known as RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (a.k.a. CRPS), and recently have had to curtail the amount of knitting that I used to do. Upsetting, but necessary for me due to pain. I run a forum for other sufferers of RSD/CRPS and most of my time on the computer is spent there, but I do look forward to interacting with all of you, learning and sharing patterns and tips about knitting.

losnana
11-30-2007, 07:43 AM
I have a knitting question. Is the right place to ask or should I be directed elsewhere?
Depending on what the question is, you will probably get more responses, and quicker, if you post in one of the other discussions. There is one called Pattern Central, ifor anything pattern-related; one called How-to-Questions for general knitting how-to questions. Check out the descriptions here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum.

Welcome to KH.

SuzyQSparkles
12-01-2007, 01:36 AM
I am a quilter of 19 years who has crochted for 18 years, both those hobbies were begun BC (before children); I have two boys (ages 5 and almost 3).

I've just started knitting. Last year I tried to knit a scarf with a fancy-fuzzy-fur... it wound up more like a bonnet. I tried again and suffered through the fuzz creating a nice scarf for my then 4 year old. But it was a HUGE effort being brand new and working with such a tough yarn to see... I was just glad it hid my mistakes, but he still tells me his scarf has holes in it (so he wants it fixed)... I tell him I put them in there and they are okay.

Well, we've just moved from Arizona to Wyoming and I need to make us some wool hats (and probably scarves too). I know I could crochet the hats, but I also am not one to back away from a challenge and have heard that knitting is more soft and flexible then crocheting, so, I'm trying again.

Today I went to the one store (that I've found) that has knitting stuff (in the back of the quilting section) and told them I needed something easier to work with than the "fur" yarns. I've got a Tatamy Tweed by Kraemer Yarns. It doesn't seem itchy (which is good since it's for a scarf).

Of course the pattern I want to work on has more than just knitting and purling, so, I'm trying to figure it out.

This website has great instructions for everything in the pattern. BTW, the pattern is called Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf (http://douma.net/Karen/knitting/Accessory-Scarves/Multidirectional_Diagonal_Scarf.htm) and it looks like a bunch of Quarter Square Triangles (that's quilt-speak for those of you non-quilters) strung together in a row... great for me to practise increasing and decreasing on.

I've already seen some cute patterns on the links for the Merino Wool site I'd like to try.

Is the super cute alligator scarf pattern (http://www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/Scarves/Alligator/) one a beginner should attempt?

What about the skunk (http://www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/Scarves/Skunk/)?

Any suggestions for good (read easy for a beginner) free online hat patterns? I need to make children and adult hats for the COLD Wyoming Winter!

Wow! That was a long ramble!

Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you.

Suzy :sun:

suzeeq
12-01-2007, 02:08 AM

It would probably be better to ask in the How To Questions forum or General Knitting. More people read them and would be liable to answer faster.

Connie A
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi-I've never been in a chat room before, so need so help. I thought I posted a question under general knitting, but haven't seen it!

I need help using DP needles, and more importantly at the moment, help with joining the shoulders seams of a baby sweater so there isn't a big bump. Thanks. I am sure this is a great forum, but have to learn how to use it first! Connie

Ingrid
12-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Are you trying to knit the shoulders together in a three-needle bind off? If so, then you need to make sure that the right-sides of the sweater are facing. The wrong side will be facing out. This way the seam ends up on the inside.

In the future, you can just start a New Thread in the How-to section, and your question should post there.

Welcome to the forum--I hope you find your way around OK!

Fuuten
12-02-2007, 12:18 AM
This site is brilliant for a first-time knitter like me! Hi, I'm Victoria, and I started knitting all of five days ago. But hopefully I will be a quick learner... so far so good I suppose.

I look forward to interacting with you all. :D

Meme
12-02-2007, 03:43 AM
I am a quilter of 19 years who has crochted for 18 years, both those hobbies were begun BC (before children); I have two boys (ages 5 and almost 3).

I've just started knitting.

Hello and welcome, I'm new here too! I love to knit also, although my children are now grown. I remember when I started knitting, my children were all young and I wanted to be able to make them socks and mittens. I actually had learned to knit many years before, but never on double pointed knitting needles or anything more than a scarf.

Any suggestions for good (read easy for a beginner) free online hat patterns? I need to make children and adult hats for the COLD Wyoming Winter!

Wow! That was a long ramble!

Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you.

Suzy :sun:

I have a pattern that I use all the time - it's called a "Minnesota Winter Hat" and can be found HERE (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hatnmitts.html). The pattern calls for two strands of regular worsted weight yarn, and one pair of (straight) size 10 1/2 knitting needles. It works up very quickly, even for me (I hate to purl, lol) :frog: The pattern gives directions for sizes from child to men's adult size, but can easily be made smaller on the smallest size by actually just using two strands of sport weight yarn, and slightly smaller needles.

I actually first found this pattern on a site called Knitting Pattern Central, in their Free Pattern Directory (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php). I find their site to be my first stop when searching for free patterns on the Internet.

Rowena80233
12-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone. I just 'found' you! I learned to knit when I was about 10, 58 now so I've been knitting off and on for 48ish years even when it wasn't 'fashionable'. Since I quit smoking, nearly 6 years ago it's been continuously 'on' knitting. I love knitting socks, have started knitting lace, etc. I also weave, spin, dye, sew, cook, play with polymer clay, herb garden, etc. I also still work full-time but, fortunately, from home.

I am in the middle of knitting more of the Fiber Trends adult-size felted clogs for gifts and cannot find the insert to my pattern that contains the instructions for the cuff. I have purchased this pattern at least twice and I'm wondering if anyone would want to share just the insert instructions with me via email??

Thanks in advance.
Yours in stitches,
Rowena

Jeremy
12-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone. I just 'found' you! I learned to knit when I was about 10, 58 now so I've been knitting off and on for 48ish years even when it wasn't 'fashionable'. Since I quit smoking, nearly 6 years ago it's been continuously 'on' knitting. I love knitting socks, have started knitting lace, etc. I also weave, spin, dye, sew, cook, play with polymer clay, herb garden, etc. I also still work full-time but, fortunately, from home.

I am in the middle of knitting more of the Fiber Trends adult-size felted clogs for gifts and cannot find the insert to my pattern that contains the instructions for the cuff. I have purchased this pattern at least twice and I'm wondering if anyone would want to share just the insert instructions with me via email??

Thanks in advance.
Yours in stitches,
Rowena

Hi we have a fibertrends clogs knit a long that has been going for a long time. I'm going to post your question in the knit a long topic there.

marilynOK
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Today I finally have joined the Forum, but this site has been my 'knitting home' since I decided to learn all over again a year ago after a long career.

I live in the woods of NE Okla. with DH. Children are out on their own and taking care of my wonderful granchildren ages 9 mo through 17yo.

I have ordered the Denise needles- they are awesome- books, etc. and watched the videos for hours on end (I ordered the CDs). I am now fairly good at continental which I'd never heard of before.--I am in the woods, right? :aww:

Right now, I want to be proficient (or even fairly adequate) at knitting a pair of socks on circs. This is a huge challenge, since I freak when I get to the gusset and watch those holes when I'm picking up stitches.
BTW, if there is a secret, please let me in on it.

I'm grateful to be a part of this group. I think Amy is a knitting goddess. cloud9

Marilyn aka Mimi

marilynOK
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
It has been twenty years since I seriously got tangled and obsessed with a knitting project. I need the kind encouraging words of friends and strangers to help me along my dusty path paved with well-intentions, redheart and snobby yarns.

My Mother did not knit she would crochet.Whe I was young she had a very difficult time trying to teach me. SHe gave up and I started to dream of other things instead of chevron afghans and big booties to fit my unusually large feet. Years later I high tailed off into a marriage with a blonde blue eyed soldier boy and we spent the first three years of our marriage in Germany. There I was exposed to good looking Europeans draped in gorgeous scarfs wearing the most exquisite sweaters. I remember pretty young Mothers on park benches furiously knitting. I remember Oma's and even younger girls carrying away with needle and thread. Everyone but me seem to know how to knit. Their creations were both practical and beautiful too. I was smitten.

I did not speak German and I had to wait till I went back home on leave to purchase how too books andstart learning the basics. Imagine my surprise when I went back to Germany and saw everyone knitting with the yarn in the opposite hand. I was confused but since then have learned about the continetal and the english methods. I wonder if there was some great event that caused the switching of hands in the history of knitting. Why do most Germans knit one way and the Brits another?

Hmm...but I digress
Welcome LatinaKnitter.
I enjoyed your post and just wanted to say Hi. I'm new to the Forum but not new to the website. It has so much information, I feel like a 'gold miner' ready to strike it rich (learning what will improve my hobby).
MarilynOK

swizz187
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Hello Admin I just want to say thanks for making this site, I have been visiting this site since October of last year, I have learned the basic of knitting by watching your videos, I got lazy and just started knitting again this time I am more determined cloud9 I found knitting a to be a stress reliever and I am enjoying it. By the way I'm Swizz 27 y/o with two lovely Angels,Thanks again and more power to this website :woohoo:

juniper
12-04-2007, 03:08 AM
hi everyone, i am just learning knitting. and i have no idea how to read anything on here for patterns or n e thing so to those of you who will be unfortunate enough to help me thanx and sorry lol.

lovelevy
12-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi, My name is Debra. I am so happy to join the group and post for the very first time. I have been telling everyone that I meet that is a "struggling to knit" knitter about this site but I just decided to join in on discussions.

dustinac
12-04-2007, 10:04 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH Everyone!!:woot:

Juniper~ If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask...:happydance:

Debra~YAY!! for joining us in the forum!! :happydance:

sab
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
HI

I learnt to knitt many years ago when my gran was on baby sitting duty. I am now 25 and have knitted lots of scarfs and then got a bit adventerous and made some sqaures using different stitch patterns to sew into a blanket. This year i have started knitting again but only squares. So now i have got some bottle went out and bought a pattern for a tank top and the wool to do it with. So i have completed the back. Now i am stuck the pattern makes no sense it may aswell be japanese. So i am off into the forums for help. This site has been amazing the videos have help me improve and have a more sound knowlege of what i am doing. Learnt some lingo and even talk like a knitter now. I cant help inspect friends, collegues and familys knitts to see if i could make a similar item. :)

OK thanks for all the help and inspiration, SAB. :woot:

suzeeq
12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello all of you new to Knitting Help. Feel free to ask any question. People reading the How To and General Knitting boards are very helpful in answering and giving suggestions.

knit2btied
12-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all as we share information! I have a question about how to tell the quality of a yarn. Can anyone give me pointers about spotting yarn that will last? My next projects should have a stretching yarn also which I've never before worked with and don't know where to find.

Thanks

Jeremy
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome. Some yarn that is long lasting is also not such great yarn. Yarn is such a subjective thing. You should buy what pleases you, not someone else. Paranthetically, one of the reasons I love to knit lace is that a comparatively little amount of very good yarn will go a long way.

peaches
12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm new to knitting. Learning out of a book and don't really know if I am doing it right. I hope I can find some answers here.

suzeeq
12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi peaches! Check through the videos and the tips sections, you'll learn a lot.

Rabbitrescuer
12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I am in the process of learning to knit. I always wanted to learn to knit & so now here I am. I heard about this web site while buying my first pair of knitting needles at Wal-Mart :)

Knitbot
12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I have been knitting for 4 years now. I like this forum so I just signed up. I'm a guy and I like to knit things for my wife. Right now, I just follow patterns while trying to learn new techniques. Eventually, I plan on trying to modify patterns or design my own stuff but I'm content to stick to patterns for now. I know Rowan is a bit highbrow but I like their yarns and patterns a lot. I'm not very social but just thought I'd do my first post here.

2FrenchBritmom
12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I think I'm a little late in getting my introduction done. I joined this forum in October, and have kind of been stumbling around here and there trying to get my feel for participating in a forum. My name is Amy, I live in Atlanta, GA and have been knitting for only 3-4 years. I haven't done too much: a couple of scarves, a funky ring-like vest, and one sweater. I just finished the sweater and am waiting on clasps to come in the mail so I can add them to a rather too deep V-neck. I'll try to post a picture in the Whatch Knittin' section when I can and once I figure out how to do that :think: My other hobby is quilting, of which I've been doing for about 8 years. I was thrilled to find other Harry Potter fans out there knitting items from Charmed Knits too! :) I'm so glad that I found this forum and website. It has taught me so much (e.g. short rows, repairing a dropped stitch, etc.). Thank you so much for everything! :cheering:

spygeek
12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi all! I've been lurking on KH for the last two months or so and finally decided to register so I could post about my finished stuff :) I'm a relatively new knitter. I learned basics of knitting as a kid but never managed to make anything. I thought I'd pick up the needles again this fall and it this time I guess it stuck! Now I'm anxiously awaiting my Ravelry invite and trying not to make too many elaborate plans...:mrgreen:

Cheeria
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi, I am still a newbie at knitting and I joined this site a while ago. I got frustrated with learning knitting and went back to the craft that I know how to do crocheting, but I am finding that I am missing having knitting needles in my hands, so here I am again to trying my hands at knitting again. I am going to try knitting the Irish Scraf which will teach me how to knit cables. :knitting: Hugs Cheeria

Jeremy
12-05-2007, 07:02 PM
:hug: Welcome to all of our new members

knit2btied
12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Knitbot,

What is it you like about Rowan yarn? Is it good to work with? The feel of it? etc? I'm looking for something new to work with... Thanks

knit2btied

goysu
12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey all! I'm new here, found it on Knitting Novices on Yahoo. I suppose it's a good thing my computer died and I couldn't get my bookmarks back, I'm finding a lot of new sites to bookmark!

Anyway, I got into knitting through Firefly and Serenity, and yes, I am a Browncoat. I'm sure there are others out there, and I'm sure they know the hat I knitted. For those who don't know, in an episode of Firefly, Jayne Cobb, this rough and tough mercenary gets a hat from his mom. It's a wool hat that may not be the best made hat in the 'verse, but it was made with love. Here is an image from the episode, "The Message," with Jayne being Jayne, but with the hat on... (http://www.still-flying.net/images/themessage/index.php?image=themessage601.jpg)

Anyway, the "Jayne hat" was the first hat I ever did, and the first time I ever worked with circular needles. I think I did pretty good, but I did get the earflaps a little short. For a pic of the FO and my youngest modeling it, go to LJ and the Big Darn (sub m for r) Knitters community.

I mostly role-play, but I'm trying to get back into knitting more. Right now I have a prayer shawl on my needles. I found Lion Brand Homespun for $3.50/skein on clearance so I bought about 7 skeins. 3 of them right now are going to the prayer shawl.

I'll close for now, this may be getting long. Any other comments or questions, please feel free to email me or pm me here.

Damara
12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I just joined today! i am a new knitter and I need all the help I can get!

dustinac
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
:woot: Welcome everyone!!

Knitbot
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
knit2btied,

I've only tried some of Rowan yarns, but most of them are very nice. They have interesting colors, textures. I just finished a summer wrap sweater called "Tulip" and it uses Rowan Damask yarn which is made of linen, acrylic, and viscose. It feels very smooth and drapes nicely. Here's a picture of it I found on the web:
http://www.kangaroo.uk.com/stock/stock74509155.jpg

Rowan has a magazine that they put out twice a year. It's done very nicely and doesn't have any ads. I like the style of a lot of their patterns though there's many I don't care for. They also publish a lot of pattern books. I am planning on working next on a sweater called "Salina" in a wool called felted tweed and a wrap called "Suzani" in a silk/cotton blend called summer tweed.
http://www.royalyarns.com/ptrn/RNW/rowanvinatgestyle/images/SALINA.jpg
http://www.kangaroo.uk.com/stock/stock140920.jpg

If you want to look at rowan patterns, this site has a lot of their magazines and pattern books with pictures of the projects:

http://www.theknittinggarden.com/pt-rowan.htm

Another yarn designer I like is Jo Sharp.

Banrion
12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Hello everyone! I'm Banrion, I'm 25 and I recently took up knitting after quitting smoking, I needed something to do with my hands. Several people attempted to teach me crochet when I was a wee one, but it never stuck with me, and I couldn't get past a chain stitch. Lately though, I have wanted to try my hand at knitting, so I bought a book and a couple of cheap supplies and went at it, and it seemed to come very naturally. I am still working on my first "practice" project which is a scarf with chunks of ribbing, separated by a couple rows of garter stitch that I found on the back of my yarn. This seems to be a wonderful starter project as it has the knits and purls, and makes sure that if you make a minor mistake you don't have to frog the whole project, just work through to the next set and try again. I have been reading the forums and finally have signed up.

bflokip
12-06-2007, 10:55 PM
:woot: Hi all. Thanks for letting me join this forum. My name is Chris and I am fairly new to knitting. I have crocheted for over 30 years and I have 3 grown children and it's just me and my husband now and so I decided to try my hand at knitting which I haven't done since I'm a kid. Been searching the web trying to find some explanation of how to decrease a 1x1 rib pattern and I found this site and joined. Maybe someone here can help me understand how to do this neatly. In any event, I hope to learn a lot from all of you and so off I go to read!!
Thanks again,
Chris

la_luna13
12-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Hi I am brand new to knitting. Watched a PBS show on it and here I am trying to learn. Thanks for the great videos and lessons.
Wonderful site!

Shandeh
12-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the KH forum! :hug:

reallydolly
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi, my name is Dolly I am a wet felter who has recently begun to knit.

Wheee!

losnana
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
:happydance: Welcome, all.:happydance:

Kaprese
12-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Hello, new to knitting. I've tried before, but was so busy and without motivation. Now my boyfriend is going to be a grandfather and I want this baby girl to have something special and handmade just for her! This site is a BIG help! Thanks so much!

Leni
12-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I am new to the forum and relatively new to knitting. I started knitting once I had a baby, stubbornly insisting on knitting my baby girl a sweater to start. I did it (with many restarts, and rip-outs) and fell deeply in love with knitting. I keep wanting to try knew things all the time, and I've learn many different things over the past five years.

Right now, I am focusing on socks and a blanket; I love single color work with lots of patterns.

Love the feeling of needles and yarn cradled in my fingers!

~Leni

Trace
12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
This is a terrfic site!!! I have told a few new knitter friends of mine about this place. The videos are amazingly helpful!!
My first knitting project was a pair of socks with double pointed needles. I didn't know any better, lol But, I didn't give up either.
I'm knitting my first lace scarf, in alpaca and I love it. I just finished a replica ww2 earmuff/headband for my 11 yr old son, who is a history buff. It kind of looks like a giant bra right now, til I sew the back together. I may felt it.

rox_on2
12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
New to this site, knitter for most my life! Lately I can't get enough! I want to knit everything I see! :knitting:

I've been lurking around a bit and you guys are amazing!!!!
I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Peace Out
Roxy :hug:

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Welcome everyone:hug:

dustinac
12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
:happydance: Welcome to the forum!! :woot:

PCam
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Just stopping by to say hello! I hale from Fort Worth, Texas. Been knitting about a year, crocheting for 22 years.

Lately, I find myself obsessed with both!

Love, love, love this site! It has gotten me out of a couple of knitting fixes. Can't wait to learn more!

pcam

:grphug:

laurafid
12-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Hey there, I agree! I only just started knitting at the end of september this year, so having the opportunity to get in contact with people who really know what they're doing is fantastic! So far I've learnt the basic knit and purl stitch and have made a few scarves for friends and am in the middle of making a european moss stitch scarf. Do you have any simple patterns I could follow?

ArtLady1981
12-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Hi'ya! :waving: Welcome to Knitting Help! We (and me included) are so happy to have you join us! New members inspire us sooo much! Don't be shy about posting your projects and your ideas! We have learned such a lot of good things from new members! Don't hesitate to ask for help in our How-to Questions section! Our members answer questions so quickly...everytime I have popped in to see if I can help...someone else has already taken car of it!

Looking forward to seeing your knitting and your comments in the coming year!

Hugs from all of us! :grphug:

Shandeh
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Do you have any simple patterns I could follow?
Welcome to the forum! :hug:

When I was first learning to knit, I found a lot of simple patterns on the Lion Brand website. Their stuff is fun and simple. Just go to their website, and look for patterns, and search for "beginner" patterns.

lrnknitster
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi, my first time posting. I am so glad that I have found this site. The videos are awesome and it has been a quite a bit of help. I am teaching young girls to knit and this site helps me to finish what I start and if I have any questions I can ask everyone.

picklesandpb
12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Hello all!

Just new here myself, and very excited to join in the fun!
I am trying to teach myself to knit, and am thus far amused by my efforts! Its been many years since I knitted last - I was just a kid at my grandmother's knee!
Time to honor her, and take up the needles again!
I look forward to chatting with you, and getting to know you!

All the best!
:grphug:
Becky
aka picklesandpb

kimtq
12-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Hi
i am kim and i am soooo glad I found this site. Now i am actually knitting and the kids are loving it

dustinac
12-12-2007, 08:28 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH!! If you have any questions please just ask... someone is always ready to help in the forums... :thumbsup:

Dreaming Knitter
12-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Just joined today... glad to be here.

I first learned to knit back in high school here, forgot about it and had to learn everything again two years ago, by myself, with the help of the Web, some books and magazines.

All I've knit are scarves, hand towels and hats.

Current projects: trying to knit up a scarf Laine dus Nord Zahir ribbon yarn. Set it aside to work on Filatura di Crossi Brilla. Now I'm moving on the Elann Pegasus yarn.

FOs this year: 6 scarves for Dulaan FIRE project

But since I'm busy with other stuff, I haven't made much progress this December. Currently, I write ESL tests, for a Korean client. I work from home, in a Manila suburb.

Carm
12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I just love this site! I've been knitting for a few years but just recently tried my hand at knitting socks. I seem to have to improvise when picking up sts ie, when it says with right side facing, pu sts on left side of sock; I end up doing the opposite for some reason because i want to avoid breaking the yarn...any suggestions?? Thanks!

Jeremy
12-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I just love this site! I've been knitting for a few years but just recently tried my hand at knitting socks. I seem to have to improvise when picking up sts ie, when it says with right side facing, pu sts on left side of sock; I end up doing the opposite for some reason because i want to avoid breaking the yarn...any suggestions?? Thanks!

If, in the end, you end up with normal looking socks, you are ahead of the game.

Shandeh
12-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Go new knitters!
Congratulations on learning an AWESOME craft! :thumbsup:

bekahbond
12-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi Everyone!
I started knitting a week ago. I tried it a year ago but the instruction booklet I got did not have very good directions. I found this site and decided to try again. i have since made a scarf and a bell ornament. Thanks for the great teaching tools!

Bekah

ArtLady1981
12-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi Everyone!
I started knitting a week ago. I tried it a year ago but the instruction booklet I got did not have very good directions. I found this site and decided to try again. i have since made a scarf and a bell ornament. Thanks for the great teaching tools!

Bekah

Welcome Bekah! You are inspiring! Keep up the good work! I see great things for you! You are very motivated! I wish I had just one daughter like you!

Hugs from all of us! :grphug:

Debby
12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi I'm Debby and have been knitting for quite a few years, though I'm not that great, I have knitted a couple of jumpers, both have been worn. I look forward to getting better with help from you all.

Grannylocks
12-13-2007, 06:52 PM
This is my first forum - normally don't do this however I am so very grateful for the help videos that I wanted to say a big THANX for the help. What a time of year to begin new projects :knitting: :)

Hope to be able to share more later - gotta go as I have many knitting projects to complete b4 Christmas.

Carm
12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Great! Thanks, Jeremy B.!!!

princessbonniejane
12-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi-Hi I just started today. I love this website. I like the country cotton socks I made them for my brother:knitting: . I did it with #9 knitting needles and sugar and cream yarn. my mom let me register. I am only 11. I am a advanced knitter. I love to knit. :heart: :inlove: :waving:

sonshyne04
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Hello,

I am a first time knitter. I am 7.5 months pregnant, and have just been put on bedrest. So I figure since I have some sparetime before the baby, why not learn to knit. I love the videos on the website. Thanks for having me.

marvalous
12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Just wanted to wish everyone on Knitting community a Happy Holiday and the best for the New Year :muah: . I am a fairly new member and this is my first post. I am currently knitting a tote bag with berroco suede. Went to Rhinebeck, a increased my statch, as soon I have a little more control of the holidays running around I'll start a few project I have in mind.:knitting: I have a blog spot its
{Marvalousknits.blogspot.com}

dustinac
12-14-2007, 10:31 AM
:woot: Welcome everyone to KH!!!

BetsyInSD
12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
I just joined KH - am a knitter -wannabe, have been working on basics but am really inspired for when I do get consistent results!!! Thanks for being here!!! :)

doribll
12-15-2007, 05:38 AM
i would appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem i'm having in knitting. i started knitting a jacket and am now about 1/3 of the way through and discovered that i am using size 101/2 needles instead of size 8. it would be very difficult to take it apart and would like to know if i continue to work on it will it be larger (which is fine) or will it just be out of shape.
thank you,
doribll

Shandeh
12-15-2007, 07:44 AM
i would appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem i'm having in knitting. i started knitting a jacket and am now about 1/3 of the way through and discovered that i am using size 101/2 needles instead of size 8. it would be very difficult to take it apart and would like to know if i continue to work on it will it be larger (which is fine) or will it just be out of shape.
Hello Dori! It will be larger.

Snowbaby
12-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi there!

I already posted an intro in the general off topic section, but thought I'd say hello here too! :woot:

Shandeh
12-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi Snowbaby! :waving:

Snowbaby
12-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Hello! :yay:

bassetmamaX2
12-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello, everyone! I've just started knitting and have found it to be quite addictive. A big 'Thank You' to Amy for starting this site. I googled knitting instructions and found this site. Your videos are perfect for beginners. Again, thank you. :woohoo:

Shandeh
12-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Welcome, all you wonderful KH members! :hug:

antmeg
12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I am thrilled to find this forum.... Its nice to meet you all. I hope someone can answer this on asap... I'm in the iddle of a row! :knitting:
k....
when purling 3 tog through back loop..... do you slide needle through back from stitch farthest left to right?

Ingrid
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I am thrilled to find this forum.... Its nice to meet you all. I hope someone can answer this on asap... I'm in the iddle of a row! :knitting:
k....
when purling 3 tog through back loop..... do you slide needle through back from stitch farthest left to right?

Yes--it will be awkward, but to purl through the back loop you need go into the third stitch from the needle first and push it through all 3 stitches. It might be easier to do it with a thinner needle and then transfer the stitch to your regular needle.

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi I'm Debby and have been knitting for quite a few years, though I'm not that great, I have knitted a couple of jumpers, both have been worn. I look forward to getting better with help from you all.

Hi Debby! Welcome! :grphug: I am happy you are here! You will love this forum! The people, the community, the great spirit of friendship and helpfulness! And, of course, the videos make it a superlative forum! None like it! Looking forward to seeing your posts in the different threads! Post a pic of your projects, small or large, in Whatcha Knitting sometime! We just loves photos! :happydance:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Hello, everyone! I've just started knitting and have found it to be quite addictive. A big 'Thank You' to Amy for starting this site. I googled knitting instructions and found this site. Your videos are perfect for beginners. Again, thank you. :woohoo:

Hi BassetmamaX2! :waving: I found Amy the same way! I was on another forum...someone asked a how-to question...and the other person answered with a link to Amy's video clip! Isn't it nice? :thumbsup: I thought it was like having a friend right there with me, showing me the way! I learned so much from her video clips! I have been knitting since forever...and I never knew what double knitting was, or how easy I-cord is, and several things! To this day, I still click on some video clips to refresh myself on seldom-used techniques that I always forget. :shrug: Welcome to KH! I look forward to following your knitting! Hugs from all of us! :grphug:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi there!

I already posted an intro in the general off topic section, but thought I'd say hello here too! :woot:

Hi'ya Snowbaby! :waving: Welcome to KH from all of us! :grphug: You will love this Forum! Make us your home! You will love the community of friendly, helpful knitters here at KH! It all started with the generous, gentle spirit of Amy, our KH mother!

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:12 PM
This is my first forum - normally don't do this however I am so very grateful for the help videos that I wanted to say a big THANX for the help. What a time of year to begin new projects :knitting: :)

Hope to be able to share more later - gotta go as I have many knitting projects to complete b4 Christmas.

Hi Grannylocks! :waving: I have visited other Forums, but have since given up on them...because Knitting Help is just the ultimate Forum! The videos make it a superlative knitting help forum! You will make this forum HOME in no time! This is a great time of year to finish old projects, and begin new ones, too! Thanks for adding your hello, and joining us! :grphug: Big hugs from all of us!

treehugger14
12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Hola! I'm new here. Just to let you all know. I love to knit and I love to read, especially Harry Potter. :) Peace.

Shandeh
12-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Harry Potter is COOL! :thumbsup:
My hubby and I both enjoy reading those books. :)

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Hola! I'm new here. Just to let you all know. I love to knit and I love to read, especially Harry Potter. :) Peace.

Well hi there treehugger! :waving: I love tree huggers! And dog lovers!
Welcome to our Forum! We are so happy to have you on board! I look forward to hearing from you in the different Forum subjects (called "threads")! Don't be shy about sharing your latest knitted porjects with us in the category called WHATCHA KNITTING. No matter how small the project is, if it is important to you, it is special to us, too!

Boo86bel
12-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Hello all. My name is Bekky and I'm a young knitter from Northern Wisconsin. At present I really only know how to knit rectangles. lol I did however, finish a hat the other night from a pattern I looked up on this site. So thanks! ^_^ I look forward to learning all sorts of helpful knitting things here! Have a great day everyone!

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Hello all. My name is Bekky and I'm a young knitter from Northern Wisconsin. At present I really only know how to knit rectangles. lol I did however, finish a hat the other night from a pattern I looked up on this site. So thanks! ^_^ I look forward to learning all sorts of helpful knitting things here! Have a great day everyone!

Hi'ya Bekky! :waving:

You are amazing! You should be very proud of yourself for taking the initiative to learn about hats...and then actually finishing your first hat! Wow! I see great things for you! :thumbsup:

We are very happy to have you with us here at KH! Don't be shy about posting photos of your hat in our WHATCHA KNITTING section! All you need is access to a digital camera. If you need any help learning how to put a photo of your hat (or anything else) into a post...let me know, or let anyone know! We are happy to help!

Group hug! :grphug:

3020me
12-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Iam new to this site. I began knitting many years ago and then left knitting to complete my accounting degree. I am now getting back to knitting since becomming a grandmother for the 4th time. I appreciate all the help I can get as there are many tips that I do not know. :muah:

Jan in CA
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Welcome to KH everyone! :yay:

ArtLady1981
12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Iam new to this site. I began knitting many years ago and then left knitting to complete my accounting degree. I am now getting back to knitting since becomming a grandmother for the 4th time. I appreciate all the help I can get as there are many tips that I do not know. :muah:

Hi 3020me! :waving: WELCOME!

I did almost the same thing! I learned to knit in about 1970...knitted for several years...then when the babies and subsequent part-time jobs came along...knitting became a distant long-lost love. I sewed for the kids mostly, and crosstitched for a few years, too. BUT, when the grandbabies started piling on board...I started knitting again. Baby blankies, baby hats, baby booties, baby sweaters, baby-anything! This rekindled my zeal for knitting. Now, all of our 5 kids are grown, married, and having babies of their own. I don't sew or crosstitich at all anymore. I knit, knit, knit!

I, too, have learned many new techniques from Amy's videos! It has really helped me "tweak" and "fine tune" my knitting skills. However, when compared to the world of knitting at large, I feel like a kindergartner! It is humbling to read the roster of knitting classes at events like Stitches West! I don't have a clue what most of it is!

Anyway, I am happy in my own little world of knitting! What I knit, I knit well!

We are so happy that you have joined our knitting family here at KH! Please don't feel shy about posting photos of your projects in the Whatcha Knitting section! We love to applaud all projects! It is truly inspiring. Well, and that is the main reason I had so many OTN's and WIP's this past year! Viewing what others are doing...I get myself all inspired to jump on board and knit the same thing! Sigh. My goal right now is to get all my OTN's (aka "On the Needles") done! I am about there!

Hugs from all! :grphug:

knightknitter
12-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Hello knitters!

i've just recently taken up the needles as a hobby to occupy myself in between my study. I'm currently doing at BA in English Literature - and have a passion in Victoriana, particularly the Victorian arts and literature scene. I love the idea of knitting my own garments for both myself and to give as gifts to my unsuspecting victims - ahem, i mean *friends*:p My ambition is to be able to knit a really chunky jumper, although i'm starting out with simple scarves at the moment.

Hope to get you to know you all soon!

:woohoo: Peter :knitting:

dustinac
12-19-2007, 04:51 PM
:happydance: Welcome to KH!!!:happydance:

Jeremy
12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Hello knitters!

i've just recently taken up the needles as a hobby to occupy myself in between my study. I'm currently doing at BA in English Literature - and have a passion in Victoriana, particularly the Victorian arts and literature scene. I love the idea of knitting my own garments for both myself and to give as gifts to my unsuspecting victims - ahem, i mean *friends*:p My ambition is to be able to knit a really chunky jumper, although i'm starting out with simple scarves at the moment.

Hope to get you to know you all soon!

:woohoo: Peter :knitting:

Take a look at Victorian Lace Today. A great book and beautiful photography.

Shandeh
12-20-2007, 04:13 AM
So many new KH knitters! How exciting!

Welcome everyone! :muah:

Crycket
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Love the site, I am using it - to excess!! :woot:

I am a self declared advanced knitter. I can do the basics and like to play with patterns, however I have not ventured into cables and charts yet.

I aspire to learn to spin, and eventually want to start working patterns I make myself. Sweater Wizard has been a good start with that for me.

I love that there is a community of ppl out there that knit and "know how" when I don't.

I hope I can help a few out along the way! :knitting:

ArtLady1981
12-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi'ya Peter! :waving: Hi'ya Crycket! :waving:

We are very happy to have you here at KH! We are looking forward to seeing photos of your knitted accomplishements in the Whatcha Knitting section!

seatulips
12-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi,
I'm Kathy. I just joined today. I was linked over here from a post in Ravelry. I was searching for a site that would help me with some of the unfamiliar knitting terms. Although I have been knitting for many years, I am occasionally stumped (or simply just over analyzing as usual). At any rate, I'm certainly glad I found this site! I look forward to "meeting" everyone.

sadimal
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
My name is Jen. I just started to knit about a month ago. I began knitting out of boredom and took a class to learn. I hope to have a good time here and become a better knitter!

knitmama
12-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Hello, I'm Heather. I have 2 kids, Rosealyn - 2 1/2 and Malachi - 1 1/2. (Yes, they are 11 months apart, I know I'm crazy, and I wouldnt change it for the world:) )After recently making the choice to stay home full time with them, I was going out of my mind until I stumbled across this site. After wasting lots of money on learn to knit kits and getting nowhere, I finally "got it". Thank you thank you thank you. :woot:

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Hi,
I'm Kathy. I just joined today. I was linked over here from a post in Ravelry. I was searching for a site that would help me with some of the unfamiliar knitting terms. Although I have been knitting for many years, I am occasionally stumped (or simply just over analyzing as usual). At any rate, I'm certainly glad I found this site! I look forward to "meeting" everyone.

:waving: Hi Kathy!

I love this site, too! I know what you mean about being 'stumped' sometimes! Just this past summer, I ran into the need for what is called a "purl 2 together through the back loop" (P2Ttbl). Gadzooks. I have been knitting since about 1970...and I had it ALL WRONG. I knew I did, too...because the outcome on the right side was horrendous. So, I took a peek at the video clips here at KH, and instantly saw how to do it correctly! Yeah! :cheering:

I look forward to your knitting friendship and communication!
You are in good hands here at KH! Thanks for joining us!

Warmly,

Dollyce aka Artlady1981

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 01:10 AM
My name is Jen. I just started to knit about a month ago. I began knitting out of boredom and took a class to learn. I hope to have a good time here and become a better knitter!

Hi Jen! :waving: You are in good hands here at KH! and we warmly welcome you! I am glad to hear that you took the initiative and attended a class. I have been knitting for many years, but in recent years I finally broke down and took some classes! I learned so much! My finishing techniques are so much nicer now!
Several of the classes de-mystified color knitting, too!

Anyway, we look forward to seeing you in our Forum!

Warmly,

Dollyce aka Artlady1981

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Hello, I'm Heather. I have 2 kids, Rosealyn - 2 1/2 and Malachi - 1 1/2. (Yes, they are 11 months apart, I know I'm crazy, and I wouldnt change it for the world:) )After recently making the choice to stay home full time with them, I was going out of my mind until I stumbled across this site. After wasting lots of money on learn to knit kits and getting nowhere, I finally "got it". Thank you thank you thank you. :woot:

Hi Heather! :waving: I applaud you! And welcome! You and I are, it seems, kindred spirits! I had 5 kids...two sets were 15 months apart! I, too, made the choice, away back then, to stay at home, rather than my then fulltime day job! Later, I took on self-employment with an office in my home...but the outcome was the same: I could be at home when I needed to be at home!

Even though I have been knitting for many years, it wasn't until I watched many of Amy's videos that I "got it" too!

Well, once again, welcome to Knitting Help! You are in good hands!:hug:

Warmly,

Dollyce aka Artlady1981