PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

knightknitter
12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh, that sounds like a good read Jeremy. Although , I doubt i'll be at that sort of level anytime soon, but it definately sounds worth a look!

Tia
12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi All! This forum is just what I need. :yay: I've been crocheting for about a year now and am just learning to knit. I need LOTS of help. :frog:

Teresa

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi All! This forum is just what I need. :yay: I've been crocheting for about a year now and am just learning to knit. I need LOTS of help. :frog:

Teresa

Welcome Tia! :hug:

You are in good hands here at KH! We are happy to have you! :happydance:

What will be your first project? Have you decided?
When I teach friends or fam to knit...the first project I give them is a garter stitch scarf. Get some pretty worsted weight yarn, and about size 9 needle...and cast on about 25 stitches, and go to town! This will get you used to the knit stitch...just knit each side...and keep going until the scarf is about 48"-60" in length. That makes a nice wrap-around scarf. Lots of length helps!

Well, whatever you decide, don't be shy about sharing your work with us, and feel free to ask for help over in the HOW TO section of KH!

We love to help...oh yeah...that's our name KNITTING HELP!!! :thumbsup:

KnittyLynn
12-21-2007, 10:19 PM
:knitting: Hi all!
New here and looking forward to learning lots of new things and making lots of new friends! My newest goal it to learn to knit socks.
Till next time; happy knitting!!
cloud9

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 11:59 PM
:knitting: Hi all!
New here and looking forward to learning lots of new things and making lots of new friends! My newest goal it to learn to knit socks.
Till next time; happy knitting!!
cloud9

Hi KnittyLynn! :waving:

Welcome to KH! The land of friendly, helpful knitters!
You have a very worthy goal! Socks are my 2008 Goal as well!
How will you learn: on double point needles or the magic loop method that employs two lonnnnng circular needles? Have you decided? Are you going to take classes, or learn from videos and tutorials?

I finally decided on dpn's rather than magic loop. I knit two hats this October for my husband, and the crowns of the hats were (unavoidably) finished with dpn's. It forced me to work at it, and I finally got my mantra going!

Well, whatever you decide, please be sure and share your work with us in the WHATCHA KNITTING section, or ask for help in the HOW TO section of the forum! We love to help!

Warmly,

Dollyce aka Artlady

Raeknitsnwa
12-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Evening all my name is Rae & I am new here I have been knitting for about yr so I am still a newbie & I am still learning so far all I have knitted are scarves & dishcloths I hope to have enough confidence to branch out to bigger projects like socks soon I am hoping to meet some cool people and learn alot here any help you all can give me is appreciated

ArtLady1981
12-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Evening all my name is Rae & I am new here I have been knitting for about yr so I am still a newbie & I am still learning so far all I have knitted are scarves & dishcloths I hope to have enough confidence to branch out to bigger projects like socks soon I am hoping to meet some cool people and learn alot here any help you all can give me is appreciated

Well hi Rae!!! :waving: I live in Kent, too! Hi'ya neighbor! :waving:

I'd like to invite you to our South Sound Knitter's Guild, too! We meet the 2nd Sunday of every month at The Knittery in Renton on Grady Way! The shop is closed for business, but the owner gives our President the key to the shop so we can meet from 1:30-3:30 pm!
The January meeting is being held at a different location down the street from me...off Central Ave...at a member's clubhouse...technically Auburn...but, if you want to join us for our January meeting, please let me know! I will PM (Private Message) you with my telephone number, and we can hook up! I have learNed so much from these ladies. That is how I found out about Knitting Help (roundabout)! We are a large group, but our meetings never seem to have more than a dozen show up! We have several ultimate sock knitters who attend!

Well, dear friend, we welcome you to KH and the KH Forum! Let me know about the meeting on January 14th 2008!

Yours,

Dollyce aka Artlady1981

David
12-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I've been lurking on the site for a while now and have truly been enjoying the help. I'm just a beginner but I plan to improve quickly!!

I also wonder how many other male knitters are out there... :guyknitting:

kayrun
12-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the forums, although I have used the site for a long time now! I always recommend the videos to new knitters looking for visual help to learn the various stitches.
I learned to knit as a little girl (from my grandma) but took it up again about 7 years ago.
I especially like knitting washcloths and socks, bec. they are actually "finishable" for me! LOL
I must have knitting ADD, bec. I have so many projects OTN that I sometimes have to buy more needles!
And don't get me started on my yarn stash....
I hope that 2008 will be the year I can get the UFOs and stash under control...wish me luck!
Glad to be here,
Karen G
in GA

Jeremy
12-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I've been lurking on the site for a while now and have truly been enjoying the help. I'm just a beginner but I plan to improve quickly!!

Hi David, I don't know if we've ever had an official census but there are quite a few of us.

KnittyLynn
12-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, I don't know what type of needles to use! I have the double pointed needles I thought I'd try. I'll probably see what I can learn from a video. If that doesn't help, a class will be my next plan!

kym823
12-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Amy!

Your videos were a GODSEND to me. I have a lot of people around me that know how to knit but none have wanted to show me. I came across your site and your videos helped me start knitting. Thank so much for this wonderful site.

I am offically a knitting addict!!! :knitting:

Kym823

Shandeh
12-23-2007, 04:58 AM
I must have knitting ADD, bec. I have so many projects OTN that I sometimes have to buy more needles!
I have the EXACT same problem! WAY too many WIPs (works in progress).
Well, I don't know what type of needles to use! I have the double pointed needles I thought I'd try. I'll probably see what I can learn from a video. If that doesn't help, a class will be my next plan!
Have you seen Silver's sock tutorial? She's a member of the forum, and the tutorial is free and wonderful. :)
Click links here:
Silver's Class - Socks with 4 dpns (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)
Silver's Class - Toe-Up with 2 circulars (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm)

pelin
12-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi Amy, hi all :)

Before I say anything, thank you so much Amy :muah: for availing us with such a wonderful page. I learned so much from your videos! And imagine I am not a native English speaker ...

Am actually a cross stitch fan but always had high interest in knitting and decided to give it a try this year (actually to advance it a bit).

I am a Turk living on the Aegean Coast of Turkey ...

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year ...

:grphug:
Pelin

dustinac
12-23-2007, 09:57 AM
:happydance: welcome everyone to kh!! :happydance:

bluetickokie
12-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi my names is James, Well I'm knew to knitting just started last week on my first scarf. i've taken alot of heat for being a guy an wanting to know how to knit. i have taken 1 class on how to knit an it was alot of fun not to many guys take the class from what i was told. I'm glad someone told me about this site now i can ask for help 24/7 LOL. everyone be safe

James in Ok

mom23kids
12-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Ok, I have decided to learn to knit! I like to be able to do something while sitting and watching TV. So, I've used google and this site, which is AWESOME! and have figured out how to cast on and to even add a row, however, with each row I add, I seem to be adding a stitch. HELP, what am I doing wrong!?!:teehee:

Birdiegirl
12-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi!

My mom taught me to knit when I was a little girl...I may have knit a scarf or two as a child. Mom was an avid knitter. She passed away several years ago, from Alzheimers, but she knit infant hats almost until the end...4 hats a day for years to donate.

During her lifetime she knit many complicated sweaters.

It is nice to see handknit items become stylish again...I've always loved them!

I just finished reading the fiction book The Knitting Circle and it inspired me to attempt a scarf. This site has been a great help. I figured out Mom taught me the American method. Once I get some yarn and needles I'm on my way!!

I'm afraid this will turn me into a yarn hoarder though...yikes!!

suzeeq
12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
James, just wanted to let you know that there's several knitting guys here (though only one Knitting Guy!) and you'll be in good company.

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey everyone!

Welcome David! I am sure that you will get lots of our male knitters to respond! I know Jeremy, Braden, and Mason (KnittingGuy)! And now YOU! But, I would love to hear from ALL of our male knitters!

I can see that there are two pages of posts past this page you posted on...so I'll bet there are lots of :guyknitting:posts to follow!!

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Hello,
I'm new to the forums, although I have used the site for a long time now! I always recommend the videos to new knitters looking for visual help to learn the various stitches.
I learned to knit as a little girl (from my grandma) but took it up again about 7 years ago.
I especially like knitting washcloths and socks, bec. they are actually "finishable" for me! LOL
And don't get me started on my yarn stash....
I hope that 2008 will be the year I can get the UFOs and stash under control...wish me luck!
Glad to be here,
Karen G

Hi Karen! Oh, welcome welcome welcome! I always love to see a new member that is a STASHAHOLIC like me...and Knitting ADD!
Tee hee! My goal for December/January is to finish up all my OTN's!! Gads. I had never had so many projects started and 50% done than this past year! It comes from being inspired by fellow knitters!

Why don't you join the 2008 Year of the Stash Knitalong??
It is just a bunch of us Stashaholics gathered together in one place in the KH forum...for the purpose of encouraging one another to use Stash as much a possible in the coming year. Click HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70223) to visit page one of that knitalong! We would love to have you on board the Stash Train with us! ;)

Warmly,

Dollyce aka Artlady1981

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Amy, hi all :)

Before I say anything, thank you so much Amy :muah: for availing us with such a wonderful page. I learned so much from your videos! And imagine I am not a native English speaker ...

Am actually a cross stitch fan but always had high interest in knitting and decided to give it a try this year (actually to advance it a bit).

I am a Turk living on the Aegean Coast of Turkey ...

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year ...

Pelin

Hello Pelin! :waving:

We are so happy you found us! I was an avid crosstitcher for many years! I crosstitced so many things! Things for the wall, bibs for babies, blankets for babies, tea towels, dish towels, hand towels...you name it! I still have several pieces, all done, washed, and pressed, in storage. No room to hang them! Sigh.

Then my 5 children got married and started delivering grandchildren on my lap...tee hee...so I started my knitting again. Knitting for babies and toddlers is so satisfying. So, crosstitching has taken a back seat...but I still love it.

So nice to meet you, and I look forward to following your projects in our WHATCHA KNITTING section!

Warmly,

Artlady1981 (Dollyce)

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi my names is James, Well I'm knew to knitting just started last week on my first scarf. i've taken alot of heat for being a guy an wanting to know how to knit. i have taken 1 class on how to knit an it was alot of fun not to many guys take the class from what i was told. I'm glad someone told me about this site now i can ask for help 24/7 LOL. everyone be safe

James in Ok

Hello James! :waving: You are in good hands here at KH! Besides yourself, there is another new male knitter here...David! Also, some of our oldies are Jeremy, Braden and Mason (aka KnittingGuy). They are great fellows! Mason is an over-the-road big-rig trucker driver who lives in Florida! He is also a computer genious...and a great knitter! He knits when he is on the road and has some time to kill, and especially in the road side cafes! It tickles me how he handles the attention! Well, one thing for sure, it is really a 'chick magnet'! He meets ladies all over the USA because of his cafe knitting! It just attracts the ladies! Surprises him how many ladies come up and ask "what'er ya doin' there?". Ha! Have they never seen knitting, or never seen a man knitting? Anyway, you will enjoy Mason's posts!

There is nothing Braden doesn't know how to do! He is a superlative knitter, and very knowledgeable! He must do a lot of research! He is youthful, so he has given knitting his undivided focus...or he is a genious, too!

Jeremy is one of our Moderators here at KH! Also a great knitter!

Male knitters ROCK!

Knit on Good Men!

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok, I have decided to learn to knit! I like to be able to do something while sitting and watching TV. So, I've used google and this site, which is AWESOME! and have figured out how to cast on and to even add a row, however, with each row I add, I seem to be adding a stitch. HELP, what am I doing wrong!?!:teehee:

Welcome Mom23Kids! :waving:

The most common reasons that add stitches to each row is because of inadvertently creating a Yarn Over...which not only adds an extra stitch, it adds a hole, too.

To prevent an unwanted yarn over or extra stitch: remember, when you are executing a "Knit Stitch"...the working yarn should be hanging in the back of the work...AND ALSO...when you are executing a "Purl Stitch", the working yarn should be hanging in the front of the work.

If you are knitting and purling within a row, remember to throw that working yarn back and forth...to the back for knit stitches, to the front for purl stitches.

My suggestion: at the end of EACH ROW...do a "head count". If you see an extra stitch. If you do...go back and investigate the row for any unwanted yarnovers.

See Amy's video clips to view yarnovers. They are used to (on purpose) create holes for lacy work, for one thing.

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi!

My mom taught me to knit when I was a little girl...I may have knit a scarf or two as a child. Mom was an avid knitter. She passed away several years ago, from Alzheimers, but she knit infant hats almost until the end...4 hats a day for years to donate.

During her lifetime she knit many complicated sweaters.

It is nice to see handknit items become stylish again...I've always loved them!

I just finished reading the fiction book The Knitting Circle and it inspired me to attempt a scarf. This site has been a great help. I figured out Mom taught me the American method. Once I get some yarn and needles I'm on my way!!

I'm afraid this will turn me into a yarn hoarder though...yikes!!

Hi BirdieGirl! :waving: You are in good hands here at KH! Oh that my daughters liked to knit, or even wanted to give it a go! But, alas, I have two granddaughters who have learned to knit! One is 21 and a junior at the University...too busy to avidly knit right now (two jobs and full load of classes)...and the other graddaughter is 8 years old...and busy busy busy with all the homework that the teachers pile on these days.

I look forward to following your knitting progress, and don't be shy about asking for help in our HOW TO section! We have so many knowledgeable, generous knitters here! They are eager to help!

Hugs,

Dollyce aka Artlady1981

veekcee
12-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi All!

My name is Vickie and I have become addicted to knitting! My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was about 8, pretty much put it down until about 20 years ago and only enjoy crocheting doilies. I attempted to learn to knit in high school but since I didn't know anyone who knit, I promptly lost interest until 2005 when I saw an episode of Knitty Gritty. Off to the bookstore to look for a book to help me learn. I found the original SnB book and lo and behold if it didn't click. I still consider myself a beginner since I really don't have that many FO's.

KH has really been a great help to me when I come upon something that doesn't make sense in a pattern, or stitch description. I'm such a visual learner. :wink:

I'll be joining ArtLady's Stashbuster KAL as I've accumulated way too much yarn!

Vickie

Shandeh
12-24-2007, 04:27 AM
.....with each row I add, I seem to be adding a stitch. HELP, what am I doing wrong!?!:teehee:
Hi mom23kids :waving:
Several new knitters have the problem of making extra stitches.

There is a discussion thread in the forum about that very thing:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32886

Good luck! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi All!

My name is Vickie and I have become addicted to knitting! My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was about 8, pretty much put it down until about 20 years ago and only enjoy crocheting doilies. I attempted to learn to knit in high school but since I didn't know anyone who knit, I promptly lost interest until 2005 when I saw an episode of Knitty Gritty. Off to the bookstore to look for a book to help me learn. I found the original SnB book and lo and behold if it didn't click. I still consider myself a beginner since I really don't have that many FO's.

KH has really been a great help to me when I come upon something that doesn't make sense in a pattern, or stitch description. I'm such a visual learner. :wink:

I'll be joining ArtLady's Stashbuster KAL as I've accumulated way too much yarn!

Vickie

Hi Vickie! Welcome Knittin' Sister!! :waving:

Lurkdom! Ha! :teehee: You tickle me! I am looking forward to following your knitting and comments here at KH! Yes, please do join me (us) on the Stash Train for 2008 Year of the Stash! Will look for you over there!

Hugs,

Dollyce aka Artlady

maggiehw
12-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I have been knitting for about 4 years and, with great trepidation, I will be teaching a group of women at the breast cancer support organization I go to how to knit in January. I am so glad that there is this site that the women visit when they need help.

penguinwear
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I taught myself to knit in collage and have been knitting off and on since then. I have tried making many things but keep coming back to baby things. Mostly because they are cute, easy to carry along, and finish quickly. I make them for local hospitals and other 'baby places' along with expecting friends and family.

I especially enjoy viewing others posted FO's, so keep up the good work.

Jeremy
12-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Welcome!:hug:

lotushealingrmt
12-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello Knitters,

I'm new to the forum, and to the craft...My name is amanda, I'm 30 years old and picking up the needles for the first time about a month ago, I haven't accomplished anything but double cast on about one hundred times... the frustration surmounts the motivation, but I'm not giving up, that's why I've just registered hoping you all will help inspire and encourage me...

Knitting wannabe,

dreamsherl
12-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Welcome lotushealingrmt.

ArtLady1981
12-24-2007, 04:35 PM
I have been knitting for about 4 years and, with great trepidation, I will be teaching a group of women at the breast cancer support organization I go to how to knit in January. I am so glad that there is this site that the women visit when they need help.

Welcome Maggie! I love a generous spirit such as yourself! :heart:

I taught some of my friends to knit last year, and my 7 yr old granddaughter.

One thing I could recommend: for "teaching purposes", make the first project a simple garter stitch scarf. (possible size 11 needles using a pretty bulky weight yarn)

This scarf will: teach them to cast on, recognize dropped stitches, fix a dropped stitch, how to count stitches at the end of each row, and how to bind off. This will acquaint them with the knit stitch only. Just knit, knit, knit. After this garter stitch scarf is 'under their belt'...try another scarf that is st st...knit on the right side, purled on the wrong side, plus the value of 5-st seed stitch borders to prevent rolling.

A third scarf could include a simple cable up the middle, bordered by 3 rev st st... some st st...then the seed border.

That's just my 2 cents!

ArtLady1981
12-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Hello Knitters,

I'm new to the forum, and to the craft...My name is amanda, I'm 30 years old and picking up the needles for the first time about a month ago, I haven't accomplished anything but double cast on about one hundred times... the frustration surmounts the motivation, but I'm not giving up, that's why I've just registered hoping you all will help inspire and encourage me...

Knitting wannabe,

Hi Amanda! :waving: Have you watched Amy's long tail cast-on video clip? CLICK HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on) to go directly to the clip! I hope it helps. Take it slow, and one step at a time. Please let me know if I can be of any further help! When I taught my granddaughter, we used a slip knot on the righthand needle, but Amy doesn't. Our mantra was: under, over, and through. Under, over and through. It is a 3 step process!

Notice how she created a triangle shape first, then draws it back like a sling shot! Then she begins the under-over-and-through 3 step!

mom23kids
12-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I totally can relate to the yarn hoarder! I taught myself to crochet to make flip-flops for my daughters' soccer teams last summer and bought tons of yarn just because I liked the color of the texture! But when I decided last weekend to teach myself to knitt....it started all over again! I have 6 different yarns and I haven't finished the first project yet...although I have made several OOOPS and have had to rip out , cut out and start all over! I am having fun and I am addicted! Watch out bare necks....I knitting a scarf for you!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Knitting Year!

lv2nit
12-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm in S.E. Pa. and have recently picked up my knitting needles! I'm a wife of 26 years, and a homeschooling mamma, we've graduated 2 and have 2 schooling now...and will Lord willing be grandparents in April sometime. Our oldest is 25, then 21, 8 ad 6.
Our second oldest (daughter) married in Aug. of 06. I would love to knit something nice for the baby...I'm thinking hat/sweater. I just completed my first felted bag, that was way too much fun!
I'm looking forward to learning more and knitting more.

Have a great night,

Grace

Remembering Man's Chief End.

knitisses
12-25-2007, 04:49 PM
My name is Sofia, I'm new here! I'm 24 and I'm from Portugal. I knit since I can remember :knitting:

For what I've seen, this is a great forum, Congrats :)

I am also new into blogging, you can see my blog at http://knitisses.wordpress.com.

kisses from Portugal*

MAGINtht
12-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi,
My name is Katy. I live in Tennessee. I'm mid-early 40's. I'm very new to knitting. (1 week +/-)

I've borrowed an Enclyclopedia of Knitting and using the videos on this site to further help with the techniques and stitches in the book. I have to say that the video is more helpful. Thank you for video.

I'm just playing with the yarn and learning to knit at the moment. I'm calling it a scarf. It has many mistakes, but I call them button holes or embellishments.

I have a friend that helped get the yarn on the needle and then found out that my mother knitted my baby clothes quite a few decades ago and still remembers how. But my needles are not safe around my mother. I want to learn to knit, not to sit there and watch Mom knit. She did explain some things to me and told me what other tools I might need to get into knitting, besides two needles.

So far, I'm enjoying this new to me craft/art.

Merry Christmas,
Katy

Samuraiwarrior
12-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Hello, My name is Thomas, I'm a 17yo high school student. I just started knitting, and am almost done with my first scarf. I really enjoy it and have already learned a lot by surfing the old posts. Hopefully I can make some friends and learn a lot more.

ArtLady1981
12-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi,
My name is Katy. I live in Tennessee. I'm mid-early 40's. I'm very new to knitting. (1 week +/-)

I've borrowed an Enclyclopedia of Knitting and using the videos on this site to further help with the techniques and stitches in the book. I have to say that the video is more helpful. Thank you for video.

I'm just playing with the yarn and learning to knit at the moment. I'm calling it a scarf. It has many mistakes, but I call them button holes or embellishments.

I have a friend that helped get the yarn on the needle and then found out that my mother knitted my baby clothes quite a few decades ago and still remembers how. But my needles are not safe around my mother. I want to learn to knit, not to sit there and watch Mom knit. She did explain some things to me and told me what other tools I might need to get into knitting, besides two needles.

So far, I'm enjoying this new to me craft/art.

Merry Christmas,
Katy

Welcome, Katy! :waving: You tickle me! :teehee: Thanks for joining our KH family! We look forward to seeing your progress! Don't be shy about posting questions in the HOW TO section, and posting photos of your first accomplishment in the WHATCHA KNITTING section!

ArtLady1981
12-26-2007, 04:21 AM
Hello, My name is Thomas, I'm a 17yo high school student. I just started knitting, and am almost done with my first scarf. I really enjoy it and have already learned a lot by surfing the old posts. Hopefully I can make some friends and learn a lot more.

Way to go, Thomas! :thumbsup: We love guy knitters here at KH! :heart: Welcome to the KH family! Don't be shy about posting a photo of your accomplishments in our WHATCHA KNITTING section, and feel free to ask for help in our HOW TO section!

ArtLady1981
12-26-2007, 04:22 AM
I taught myself to knit in collage and have been knitting off and on since then. I have tried making many things but keep coming back to baby things. Mostly because they are cute, easy to carry along, and finish quickly. I make them for local hospitals and other 'baby places' along with expecting friends and family.

I especially enjoy viewing others posted FO's, so keep up the good work.

:muah:WELCOME to our KH family, penguin! :waving:

ArtLady1981
12-26-2007, 05:09 AM
My name is Sofia, I'm new here! I'm 24 and I'm from Portugal. I knit since I can remember :knitting:

For what I've seen, this is a great forum, Congrats :)

I am also new into blogging, you can see my blog at http://knitisses.wordpress.com.

kisses from Portugal*

Welcome Sofia! You are in good hands here at KH! :hug:

Shandeh
12-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

Knitter35
12-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi, I'm Lee. So glad I found you!! Thank you, Amy! Look forward to exchanging help and ideas! I've been knitting socks for many yeas but recently learned how to do so on two circular needles. It's great and lots of fun!! I have a very important question:) Does anyone out there remember the " Beer Mug" socks?? (Regular sock pattern but with a beer mug motif knitted on side of sock--using mohair for the foam. Am looking for the pattern. They were all -the-rage a few years ago. Love to hear from you!

dancejunky
12-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself before I post my first plea for help. I adore this site! Amy, did you create the wonderful videos? I just learned, by watching the video, how to make a beautiful reinforced buttonhole. I had known only the sloppy YO kind before. :muah:

I few months ago, I returned to knitting after about a 10-year absence. I'm thoroughly enjoying it--especially with all the stylish new patterns available--and have so far knitted a hat, dog sweater, wrist warmers, neck warmer, and capelet. I'm most of the way through a sweater that I'm going to need some help with (will mosey over to that forum in a sec).

I live near Milwaukee with my daughter (whom I'm teaching to knit) and my 2 lab puppies.

harmony27
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I went to the whatcha knitting forum and saw lots of nice stuff. I recently started knitting baby hats for charity (I'm working on #35 and have sent 19 to Philadelphia and 6 to New Jersey). I have a small box and when it gets filled, it gets sent out! Meanwhile, I played with a pattern and ended up with a winking space alien and tried to post it in that forum. I wrote the description and then couldn't figure out how to upload the picture. I did resize it so that's not the problem; The problem is finding the browse and upload link. Can you help? Thanks in advance. -harmony27

jinkies
12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Very happy to have come upon this site. I begged for Knitting goodies for Christmas and now I am very excited about beginning my knitting journey. This site looks very comprehensive and user friendly. Your community seems helpful and stable too. :) So thankful its free!

SilverDogg
12-26-2007, 06:22 PM
found this site some time ago, and just started watching all the videos. big thanks for them =)
got some knittinggear for xmas, and instantly started knitting a scarf. looks like sheit, but its my first piece so wth =D

still learning, and want to know more about knitting. and this is a great place to find that info =D

caturday17
12-27-2007, 04:36 AM
hi all,
i'm a super-beginnger knitter (as in, just barely picked up the needles) and this site is awesome. love the videos, they're so much more useful than those impossible drawings they have in knitting books. thanks so much :)

Shandeh
12-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Welcome new KHers! :muah:
I have a very important question:) Does anyone out there remember the " Beer Mug" socks?? (Regular sock pattern but with a beer mug motif knitted on side of sock--using mohair for the foam. Am looking for the pattern. They were all -the-rage a few years ago. Love to hear from you!
You can get the beer mug socks pattern here:
http://www.grkp.com/Order.htm :)
..........couldn't figure out how to upload the picture. I did resize it so that's not the problem; The problem is finding the browse and upload link. Can you help? Thanks in advance. -harmony27
When making your post, you can add a photo by clicking the little paperclip icon. :thumbsup:

Yanti
12-27-2007, 10:58 AM
To Amy and all members,

I live in Forsyth, Georgia, I want to say hello to all of you.

Thanks so much to Amy for her wonderful website which I came across the other day as I searched for knitting site.
Originally I was trying to find the video instruction about how to shape neck. I learned to knit on and off 20 years ago, using the chart, I forgot most of the part, so now I live in USA , I hope to start learning again, only this time I determine to learn it seriously, the problem is I don't quite understand the written knitting pattern.
I hope I can find some help in this forum in near future, I would really appreciate you.

tgwillis
12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Trisha and I am a new knitter with 3 children that I homeschool. My oldest has Aspergers and I started knitting to destress and have something to do while he is in therapy. And now I love it. This site has been great for getting me started. Looking forward to gleaning all that I can.:mrgreen:

wendyg
12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Hello my names Wendy I'm a newbie here I live in Sheffield UK,I love to knit and do all different kinds of crafts,hope get lots of help here if I need it!:aww:I am married to Jeff have 3 boys,chris 21,Nick 18 and tom 15.

sleepyboa
12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey, my name's Jami. I've been knitting for about a year now. I live outside of Kansas City, Missouri with my husband, and our non-human kids (cats, snakes and a bird). I've turned to the videos and even read the forums in search of answers to varoius questions I've had, but finally decided it was time to sit down and join the community. I appreciate the answers I've found here in the past, and I look forward to learning more in the future! Thanks! :-P

mom23kids
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Amy:
I am new to knitting and am accidently adding stitches to my work. I am wondering if it is when I turn my work to begin a new row. When I turn my work, currently I am also moving the work on the needle to keep the knitted rows facing inward, could this be why I am adding stitches? Any help you can provide is most appreciated! Thanks

sunflowermom1972
12-27-2007, 07:59 PM
I asked for a learn to knit kit for christmas and got it! And I have done maybe 6 rows of just knit stitch..
I am a mom of 5 kids.. three are stepchildren but they all live with us full time. I am legally blind. I have been crocheting for about two years now.. I have lots of light around me to see good and i dont use dark yarn. Now I am trying my hand at knitting and wow.. its harder to me.

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi y'all! So many new faces!

A big warm welcome to:
Harmony27!
Dancejunky!
Knitter35 (Lee)!
Jinkies!
Silverdog!
Caturday17!
Sunflowermom1972!
Yanti!
Sleepyboa (Jami)!
Tgwillis!
Wendyg!

WOW! Group Hug from all of us at KH! :grphug:

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Amy:
I am new to knitting and am accidently adding stitches to my work. I am wondering if it is when I turn my work to begin a new row. When I turn my work, currently I am also moving the work on the needle to keep the knitted rows facing inward, could this be why I am adding stitches? Any help you can provide is most appreciated! Thanks

Hello mom23kids!

Amy is currently on vacation with her husband, and will be home after Jan 6th. She is not able to check email on this vacation! I am certain she will help you when she gets back!

In the meantime, perhaps I could add my 2 cents worth. If it helps you, great!

The most common reason that stitches get added to the knitting is due to unintentional 'yarn overs'. This is caused when you are knitting and purling within the row. Remember, when you are creating a "Knit Stitch"...the working yarn is hanging down the back of the work. When you are creating a "Purl Stitch", the working yarn in thrown to the front of the work BEFORE purling the stitch. Then, remember to throw it to the back of the work if the next stitch is going to be a Knit Stitch again.

When you get to the end of a row, simply let go of the working yarn and turn your work around to face you. The working yarn will be dangling from the end of the needle in your left hand. Just insert your needle into the first stitch to be knit (or purled), and do it, remembering what I said about the working yarn is in the back of the work for knits, and the front of the work for purls.

Well, I hope this helps you. It would be wise to do a "head count" at the end of each row to make sure that the right number of stitches are present. Not too many, not too few.

If you need more help, don't be shy to ask.

And remember, Amy will be back in the good ole USA (home) after Jan 6th.

Hugs from all here at KH! :grphug:

mom23kids
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks I am going to go and try it! =)

Piratedogmama
12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Hello there! My name is Michele and I learned to knit here at Knittinghelp.com a few months ago and just joined the forum group yesterday. I started knitting to make my little gal some wool longies for using with cloth diapering then DH got me Charmed Knits for Christmas and I am wanting to branch out from longies to other knit items. I have the bug and can't wait to start my next project. First I am going to finish a hat for DD to match her longies though. Tomorrow I hope to go to my LYS and find some yarn to make my first non baby related item. :woot: Thanks for having me!

marlajap
12-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi, all! I am a new knitter, too, just about 2 months now. I've been crocheting since I was a kid - early 1970s or so - but had never been able to get the hang of knitting before. Finally, the wonderful videos here on knittinghelp.com got through to my brain and I'm now a certified knitting nut. So far, I've done 5 knitted scarves (plus 3 crocheted) and a watch cap since early November. I am about to start on a tote bag pattern from "Knitting" by Ros Badger. I also have a furry collar OTN using Bernat Boa - that's got some dropped stitches I don't have the energy to fix yet (LOL!). Oh, and a turtlenecked-poncho is OTN, as well, but that was a truly miserable failure - just too advanced for my stage of the game, so I'll try that one again in a few more months. :aww:

The knitting bug is a bit harder on those of us who are genuinely allergic to wool and born-cheap, as well, but I'm finding ways around it by working with blends of no more than 30% wool and things like that. :thumbsup:

jacquiw
12-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi I am Jacqui I live in Australia I crochet spin and loom knit. I have just had a good look at the knitting videos on here an thought I would teach myself continental style knitting. I don't think like a knitter so I sometimes have trouble understanding so the videos are fantastic.I want to knit a Klien bottle hat and some socks just for starters but I just got a brand new electric spinning wheel so I will have to put things in perspective LOL! PS I am in Ravelry under the same name and CP , Crafster and Woolly Thoughts as well as many other groups. Gday from downunder!

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 05:38 AM
And another BIG WELCOME to our newest members!!! :grphug:

Piratedogmama (Michele!):cheering:
marlajap (Marla!):cheering:
jacquiw (jacqui!):cheering:

We are happy you are with us! :woot: We are looking forward to watching your progress! If you need any help, don't be shy about posting your questions in the HOW TO section of the Forum!!

Shandeh
12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Welcome, all you new KHers! :)

My oldest has Aspergers and I started knitting to destress and have something to do while he is in therapy.
My oldest has Aspergers too! He is now 22 years old, and studying Biochemistry. He is also a computer tech (computers have always been his fixation.)

I..have 3 boys,chris 21,Nick 18 and tom 15.
I have 3 sons also. Boys are interesting to raise, aren't they? :teehee:

I am .......accidently adding stitches to my work. I am wondering if it is when I turn my work to begin a new row. When I turn my work, currently I am also moving the work on the needle to keep the knitted rows facing inward, could this be why I am adding stitches? Any help you can provide is most appreciated! Thanks
Lots of new knitters add extra stitches. There is a discussion in our forum about that here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32886

Now I am trying my hand at knitting and wow.. its harder to me.
Congratulations on learning a new craft! Hang in there....I'm sure it will make sense soon.

The knitting bug is a bit harder on those of us who are genuinely allergic to wool and born-cheap, as well, but I'm finding ways around it by working with blends of no more than 30% wool and things like that. :thumbsup:
Have you tried knitting with cotton yarn? It's not expensive, and you can make a dishcloth with one skein. Dishcloths are a wonderful way to learn new knitting stitches. There are tons of dishcloth patterns here: http://www.jimsyldesign.com/dishbout/index.html

Janiegirl
12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi! I've recently begun knitting, and stumbled across your site while looking for some help with abbreviations. I'm so glad I found it! Your videos are great; I've already learned a couple new things. And I love the forums. It's so nice to chat with others about my new-found obsession!

yellow rose
12-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone. I'm glad I ran across this website b/c I've been wanting to learn how to knit & I'm sure this site & you all will be of great help to me.

bindy
12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Hello
My Grandma taught me the basics 40 years ago and I'm just re-starting! I downloaded a pattern off the net that is a diagonal basketweave baby blanket. I can't send the link - cause I can't refind it! But I'm ok until the pattern says to "continue in this manner, with garter stitch block on each end and alternating stocking-stitch and reverse stocking-stitch for each block section until the side of the blanket is as long as you wish".
The last several rows were:
row 12: cast on 6 stitches:, k6, p6, k6 (18 sts)
row 13: K18
Row 14: k6, p6, k6
repeat 13 & 14 3 times
Row 21 casr on 6 sts, k12, p6, k6
row 23 k12, p6, k12
row 24 : k6, *P6, k6* x2
repeat row 23 &24 3 times (30 rows total) to create 3rd section of blocks.

NOW (finally you're thinking) I'm confused on the when to Knit and purl as I add. Please anyone can you help?
Thanks, Bindy

Jeremy
12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I really don't fully understand your question but this may be helpful to you: Reverse stockinet is purling on the right side and knitting on the wrong side. On your pattern, the even numbered side is the right side. Hope this helps

T-wrecks
12-28-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm a newbie knitter too. The videos are SO helpful on this site. I couldn't have cast on without you guys.

Jeremy
12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Welcome Everyone:hug:

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Hello
My Grandma taught me the basics 40 years ago and I'm just re-starting! I downloaded a pattern off the net that is a diagonal basketweave baby blanket. I can't send the link - cause I can't refind it! But I'm ok until the pattern says to "continue in this manner, with garter stitch block on each end and alternating stocking-stitch and reverse stocking-stitch for each block section until the side of the blanket is as long as you wish".
The last several rows were:
row 12: cast on 6 stitches:, k6, p6, k6 (18 sts)
row 13: K18
Row 14: k6, p6, k6
repeat 13 & 14 3 times
Row 21 casr on 6 sts, k12, p6, k6
row 23 k12, p6, k12
row 24 : k6, *P6, k6* x2
repeat row 23 &24 3 times (30 rows total) to create 3rd section of blocks.

NOW (finally you're thinking) I'm confused on the when to Knit and purl as I add. Please anyone can you help?
Thanks, Bindy

Well, I think that what you are supposed to do with the new cast on stitches is create blocks out of them, as in the rest of the blocks on the row. The blocks are discernible because some of them are knit stitches from the right side, alternating with purl stitches, also from the right side.

Jeremy is right about the wrong side. Just keep following what you see on the wrong side.

You will come to a point when a block is tall enough, and then you start purling on top of the knit blocks, and knitting on top of the purl blocks...until these blocks too are tall enough.

How far into this blanket are you? If not too far, there are waaaaay easier baby blankets using this basketweave/blocks pattern because the blanket is not diagonal, and there are no cast-on stitches techniques midway through the blanket.

Welcome to KH!

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 07:58 PM
A big warm welcome to our newest KH knitters! :grphug:

Janiegirl!
yellow rose!
bindy!
T-wrecks!

:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Knit4Fun
12-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi New Friends,

I just learned to knit a few weeks ago - yay! It took me a while to get the hang of purling and I am still working on Continental knitting - for some reason English feels better to me, so I mostly stick with that and am just noodling with Continental to practice.

So far I've knit three scarves - two big chunky ones on giant needles (great instant gratification!) and one fuzzy multicolored one that my step-daughter will love to go with her new jacket!

I am in awe of the amazing knitting talent on this forum and am really learning from the videos and posts - thank you.

Hugs to each of you! :hug:

birdielady
12-29-2007, 03:06 AM
:knitting: My name is Pam, I guess my user name is birdielady because I have a bird. I have been knitting for quite a few years but haven't done it for a while. I recently started knitting a pair of baby booties. My problem is the pattern is to the point where it is telling me to seperate for the sides. It tells me to place 11 stitches on a stitch holder. I don't remember how to do that. It starts from the end where the yarn is. (First stitch on the needle). I don't know if I am supposed to knit onto the stitch holder or just transfer them to the stitch holder. I don't have a stitch holder. Was thinking of putting the stitches onto a safty pin or probably 2 of them. Any advice would be helpful. It also tells me to start knitting the next 15 stitches then place the last 11 stitches on another holder. Not sure how to do this. Thanks for any help. TTFN, Pam

KnitterK
12-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Well, sort of. I have been using the videos here for some time and LOVE them! They are the best I have seen and help me so much because I am not an experienced knitter, so much better than a book alone. I didn't know this forum was here until today though. So here I am! Looks like a lot of fun, and sorry in advance if I ask a lot of questions!

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Welcome new KHers!
...........It tells me to place 11 stitches on a stitch holder. I don't remember how to do that. It starts from the end where the yarn is. (First stitch on the needle). I don't know if I am supposed to knit onto the stitch holder or just transfer them to the stitch holder. I don't have a stitch holder. Was thinking of putting the stitches onto a safty pin or probably 2 of them. Any advice would be helpful. It also tells me to start knitting the next 15 stitches then place the last 11 stitches on another holder. Not sure how to do this.
Hi Pam! You're thinking correctly. Just slip the first 11 stitches onto a safety pin, then knit the next 15 stitches, then slip the last 11 stitches on a different safety pin. Good luck! :thumbsup:

....sorry in advance if I ask a lot of questions!
No problem at all! That's why we are called "Knitting Help"! :)

mom23kids
12-29-2007, 12:30 PM
:muah: THANKS!!!!!! For all of those wonderful knitters out there that posted to my cry for help! THANKS!! I finally got it! It took going into my local yarn store...who knew there were so many different types of yarn???!!!?? AND I chose a difficult one to learn on! BUT...I am almost finished with my first WEARABLE scarf! It has some bumps and bruises but I made it and I will wear it proudly! I am so hooked! Knitting has taken over my dreams! WOOO WHOOO!!!:woot:

pennyjo1947
12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello all, Can't believe I'm 60 and just trying to learn how to knit. I have crocheted since my Granny taought me when I was a kid. Mom tried to teach me how to knit but just never could get the hand of it. Saw this neat book at Wally world and thought I would give it one more try. I tried to look at the videos on here but never could get them to work. Has anyone else had trouble with them? Oh well, back to my book, so far I haven't even learned how to cast on yet. :aww: My fingers don't even look like they are doing the same thing as the ones in the book!! :teehee: pennyjo

VaNana
12-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I just found this site and am anxious to share and learn from all the other knitters! I've knitted off & on for a few years but just recently discovered knit blogs and realized how much more is out there than I had tried. I am now trying to branch out and learn some new things! I just finished my first pair of socks and am anxious to start another.

Thanks.....

Rainny
12-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Like VaNana I have been knitting for years with long stretches of nothing in between. Picked it up about 2 years ago. I discovered knittting blogs and pattern sites, and now I am in trouble. I want to do too many things and spend way to much money on beautiful wool. Darn and to think 30 years ago all I knit with was Phentax for slippers. Got myself a Boyles set today just to have more needles.

So hi everyone :woot:

Rainny whose stash is going on the second box.

Colette
12-30-2007, 03:40 AM
I can not believe how great this site is. I have spent so much money on books to learn how to knit. This is just wonderful. Thanks!!
Colette

Debkcs
12-30-2007, 04:19 AM
Welcome to all of you! I'm kind of new to knitting also, after years of crocheting, and this site has been a God send for me. The folks here are so wonderful about answering any question that might come up, it makes me feel like I can take on any project.

Hope we hear from you all, and that you post lots of FO's!

knutzaboutknitz
12-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi All,

I recently moved from Sunny South Florida to Chilly Northern California. It's a BIG difference in climate, and with the change I have rediscovered the joys of knitting.

I've never been one to follow patterns. But realize it may be the ONLY way I can create a pair of socks or make a wearable sweater. Patterns intimidate me.

However my desire to create is greater than my fear of mistakes :wink:

I am sure I will have a zillons questions and look forward to spending time here.

Happy New Year!

Squeakee
12-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Hello All,
I go by the name of Squeakee. My brothers (who are all over 6ft)gave me the moniker because I'm all of 5' 1" tall and I've always had one of those voices that sounds like I have laryngitus). I live in Wisconsin and have one "baby" a five year old long-haired chihuahua, who is spoiled beyond repair.:grphug:

I'm a fairly new knitter, and I actually learned how to knit watching the videos on knittinghelp.com. I do have a question:

What are some of your favorite yarns to work with?

I look forward to "talking" and learning from you all. And wish you all a healthy and happy New Year!

pianoducky
12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new too, hailing from Normal, IL. I've only been knitting about a year, but am a really experienced crocheter. I only have a few smaller FO's from the needles but I'm getting ready to start my first sweater.

I'm a music teacher and love how knitting keeps my fingers and arms limber (I'm working on going back to grad school for piano performance) and is so relaxing. I do NOT love how my babies (a cocker spaniel and a dachshund) really think my bamboo needles are glorified dog chewies, but we're working that one out :).

I'm excited to see what everyone is working on!

jmapple
12-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I have been knitting since April of this year and without the help from this site I would be lost. The members in my knitting group let me know about this site. They are a great bunch of people. I recommend this site to everyone I know. The videos are the best ones I've found. I look forward to posting and getting to know other knitters through this site.

PurlingAndHurling
12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
HI, all. I'm new here. Just joined. I knit scarves and have done a couple blankets, very simple stuff.

I really am getting into dish cloths, but I'd love to progress into socks and hats, round things.

No knitting classes nearby so hoping this site will help me on the journey.

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Well my my! Let me be sick in bed with coughing, sneezing and a fever for just one day...and BAM! We have had many new knitters join our KH family! :happydance: Wonderful to see and meet all of you! :happydance:

So a big HELLO and warm GROUP HUG :grphug: to:

Rainny!
Knit4Fun!
birdielady (Pam!)
KnitterK (Kristi!)
pennyjo1947
VaNana (Diane!)
Colette!
knutzaboutknitz
Squeakee!
pianoducky
jmapple
PurlingandHurling

And PS for Squeakee: my favorite yarn to work with is Caron's Simply Soft (for an acrylic choice) and Tahki Yarns "Torino" (for a merino wool).

Merino wool (IMHO) is the best of the best of wools! Extra extra soft without being hairy.

Shandeh
12-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Welcome new knitters! :hug:

And ArtLady, here's something for you. :heart:
http://afridgefulloffood.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/chicken_noodle_soup_thyme.jpg
Get better! :pray:

cheygirl
12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi knitters! Just learned to knit (again), after 2 previous failed attempts earlier this year. This time it stuck - the trick was to actually get started on a project, rather than just doing some practice knitting. I'm nearly finished a triangular scarf for my toddler, in a lovely navy/pink merino yarn, and trying to pick a new project right away because I'm hooked :inlove:.

Anyhow, love the site, and look forward to chatting with y'all!

GrannyBa
12-31-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm working a pattern that says work till piece measures 6". Then cast on 10 sts. at end of next two rows. How do you cast on at the end of a working row?

kidsncows
12-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

My name is Kathy, and run a family farm in SW Missouri with my husband Eric, and homeschool Jake, 11 and Hannah, 7.

I learned to knit in 7th grade and have only done a few scarves since then. Now, with the economy so uncertain, I've decided to learn some of the old skills well and want to learn carding, spinning, etc, too.

Thanks for the videos and this nice site. I look forward to getting answers that I can't seem to find in the books, and chatting with other 'fiber gals'. Thank you!

Kathy Vimont
Pasture Nectar Farm
Mt. Vernon, MO

Shandeh
12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
I'm working a pattern that says work till piece measures 6". Then cast on 10 sts. at end of next two rows. How do you cast on at the end of a working row?
GrannyBa, when you finish the row, just cast on more stitches at the end of that row. (use a simple thumb cast on, also called "backward loop" or "single cast on")

Then, you'll turn the work and knit across, then cast on 10 stitches more at the end of that row.

If you need to know how to do a thumb cast on, here is Amy's video. Just scroll down the page until you see "Single Cast On", and click the button that says "View this video".
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

Jayeda
12-31-2007, 10:17 PM
My name is Jayeda...and I am a college student. I was introduced to knitting by my 12th grade science teacher, and since then, I've made three scarves (one each for my sisters.)
I finished a project yesterday (the 3rd scarf)--it was the irish hiking scarf in the patterns section, and I am so proud of myself. Now that I have scarves out of the way, I am working on socks, or hats, and eventually sweaters...I hope.
One more thing, I think I'm doing this reply thing right, at least I hope so, because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reply to someone's message, or type in a reply somewhere else.
Anway, glad to be here, and I simply LOVE:inlove: the website and the videos-I would have never known how to knit without them!
Happy New Year!

shellandra
12-31-2007, 11:06 PM
I am new to the world of knitting. What a great site. I hope I can do this. It is a little intimidating! I will give it my best shot. What a great site this is. Happy new year to all!

lilkidmom
01-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Hi. I'm a newbie to this site. Found it searching for help with getting my gauge right. I've already read many helpful posts here. I will try everyone's suggestions and see if I can get it right. I learned to knit as a child in a 4-H club. I've just recently started knitting again after many years off. My daughter has learned to knit from me and was making a baby blanket for a friend. I got motivated to start knitting again and I am really enjoying it. I've made myself a cable and popcorn stitch pattern scarf with seed stitch borders. Although I had to downsize the pattern some to adjust for my gauge problem and probably because I had chosen the wrong yarn, it turned out really nice,
Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. I'll be back often, since I'm sure I'll need more help.
Lilkidmom

dustinac
01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Welcome to KH everyone :woot:

I hope to see you all on the forum often...Shellandra, it can be at fist but know that KH is here for any question you may have!! :thumbsup:

Bill Travis
01-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I am new to knitting & found this site out of desperation! I got started with a church invitation to knit hats for children in Darfur. I then became a new grandfather & started a hat, blanket [completed] and sweater project. The sweater is giving me trouble, especially trying to follow the abbreviations.
I look forward to the help I know is out here.
Be patient, it is hard to teach an old man new tricks!
Bill

Starry Eyed
01-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone! I'm extremely new to the whole knitting thing. I haven't even figured out how to cast on yet! I'm going to work on that today though. I love all art forms and part of my new year's resolutions is to get more crafty. I may be asking a lot of stupid questions, so be prepared! :)

philippa
01-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I have just joined this forum, one of my resolutions to be more active in the New Year! I have been a knitter for many years but not very adventurous in my choice of patterns, but now want to knit socks! it must be an age thing or insanity!!
You all sound friendly so i look forward to getting involved.
I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and that you all have a Healthy and Happy New Year.

All the very Best

Philippa

mimi24
01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
This is such an awesome website! I think back to my childhood when my grandma tried to teach me to knit and we both ended up being so impatient with one another. It wasn't until she was gone and could no longer be my knit advisor that I began to appreciate the true calling of the knitter. Now I feel that I have a little bit of my grandma with me by being able to talk to others in the world of knitting. Thank you so much!

Have a very Happy and Great New Year,
Mimi

ShainR
01-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone. I'm not only new here, but relatively new to the whole :knitting: world. I've been teaching myself since October. I've only knitted items using 2 needles and seamed when necessary. Now, I'm pushing myself to get over my fear of double pointed needles so I can make my husband a pair of gloves. I'm looking forward to being a member here.

Shandeh
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I look forward to the help I know is out here.Be patient, it is hard to teach an old man new tricks!
There are lots of patient knitters here to help! :) Welcome!

I haven't even figured out how to cast on yet! I'm going to work on that today though. I may be asking a lot of stupid questions, so be prepared! :)
Just post your questions in the "How To" section, and our wonderful knitters will help you! Also, be sure to check out Amy's videos to walk you through learning to knit. That's how I learned. I watched online knitting videos over and over again.

.......now want to knit socks!
Try Silver's sock tutorial. It is WONDERFUL!
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Now I feel that I have a little bit of my grandma with me by being able to talk to others in the world of knitting.
What a great heritage!

Now, I'm pushing myself to get over my fear of double pointed needles so I can make my husband a pair of gloves.
Go for it! Post any questions in the "How To" section, and we'll do our best to help.

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 10:52 PM
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME to our newest members, and 2008!

We have had several new members, from all over our World, and every age group, and even a new Guy knitter! :guyknitting: Wow!

So a big KH group hug goes to
cheygirl!
GrannyBa!
kidsncows (Kathy!)
Jayeda!
shellandra!
lilkidmom!
Bill Travis! :guyknitting:

Starry Eyed!
philippa!
mimi24 (Mimi!)
ShainR (Shain!)
ldh2nit (Lisa!)

ldh2nit
01-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi! My name is Lisa. I just signed on today, Jan. 1st. Happy New Year to everyone. I posted a question re: binding off. I have run out of yarn and don't know how to fix it or if it is even possible to fix. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You for this forum to make friends and get ideas and help. It's great.

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi! My name is Lisa. I just signed on today, Jan. 1st. Happy New Year to everyone. I posted a question re: binding off. I have run out of yarn and don't know how to fix it or if it is even possible to fix. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You for this forum to make friends and get ideas and help. It's great.

Hi Lisa! :waving:

Is the bind-off edge at the end of a scarf? If so, here is what I would do: rip out the bind-off row, and the last full row that you knit...and bind-off on that row.

If the bind-off edge that you are currently working on will be hidden in a seam, why not tie a similar weight yarn onto the end of your current working yarn, and continue binding off as usual? If your yarn is wool, you could use the "felted join" to join the 'fill in' yarn to the current yarn. There is always the "Russian join" for non-wool, not-feltable yarn. Both "joining" techniques have video clips here at KH. Go up to the VIEW VIDEOS tab at the top of this page, and select TIPS. Amy has two very nice videos for "felted join" and "russian join". And of course, you could always tie a nice neat knot, too, and trim off the excess yarn. I put a dab of Dritz "Fray Check" on the knot.

kowinkle
01-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm new to this forum and ...... very new to knitting! After about 20 years of trying to teach myself (via books and lots of 'bad' practice) - I finally got the hang of it while recently hospitalized!

Knitting opens up a whole new world (All those wonderful patterns that are not available to crochet'rs - like me)! I anxiously look forward to the day that I am competent on Knit/Purl and can begin doing advanced stitches and patterns.

Until then.....I'll be loving this forum for assistance, support and yes....maybe someday, I can actually help another newbie!

blossmgirl
01-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi all, no one mentioned how addicting this knitting thing is but once I found this site, I saw that right away. I found a 'teach yourself to knit' kit for $3.47 yesterday, New Year's Eve, and purchased it just for the heck of it since I knew I would be staying home last night. There really should have been a warning label on the kit! I've been fiddling and re-doing off and on in every spare moment since then and have finally gotten the hang of the casting on and knitting stitch and am now working on the purl stitch. The videos on this site help those tiny pictures in the book make sense and the casting on technique was too easy compared to the book method.

I am so glad to have found this site! :woohoo:

craftymumnz
01-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Hi,
I just found this forum as i was looking up how to ssk for a headband im making so as you can tell im ferly new to knitting but loving learning new tecniques, as i prefure a patterns that requre me to pay attention and concentrate.
Im a mum to ds who is 2 and dd who has just turned 6mths i live in auckland, new zealand and cant wait to have a good lookaround here:woot: .

margaret

susanmorrison
01-02-2008, 02:21 AM
I am glad to have found your site. My sweet daughter (who recently taught me to knit) recommended it. I am a novice and I am sure will have many questions! Thanks for the videos, they have been a great help for me.

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:hug:

Gatita
01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello!!

I'm Carmen, a Mexican happily married with a viking, living in Oslo.
I'm a kniter begginer, and I love this web site.
I'll start with some little projects, and hope to connect with many of you.
Happy new year!!

bad627
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I hope that this finds you all doing well. I'm coming back to the site. I love to knit. I've only been knitting for a few years and I love to do Afghans. I hope that everyone doesn't mind my asking questions.

Everyone have a great day!

m-bear
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm new to knitting (2 months), and was really REALLY happy to stumble across this site! I googled "how to knit an I-cord", and bada-bing bada-bang - the rest is history.

But why oh why did I wait so long to try knitting? All those lost decades... what a waste. sigh. I guess I'll just have to make up for lost time.

styrch
01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I just wanted to say "hi". I'm new to knitting. I don't know what I'm doing. Sort of getting started trying some of the scarf projects on this site. Anyway, my name is Sarah and I'm very excited to have found this site!

Shandeh
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Hello everyone! Welcome to your new knitting family! :hug:
http://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gif

pamplemousse
01-03-2008, 01:48 AM
It's sort of a cliche to say "Hi, I'm new to knitting." but really, that's the only sentence that fits me.

I've only been knitting for about four months. All I've gotten down is the knit stitch, some form of a decrease, and a half-way bind off. I'm trying, and I hope to get as good as some of you all out there.

joan adis
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
i CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, PLEASE HELP JOAN ADIS:muah:

suzeeq
01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
You just did Joan. Hi there and welcome to our knitting corner.

tatendeb
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Everyone, My name is Debby, but since that username is already taken, my username will be tatendeb, a combo of my husband's and my name that we use online frequently (aw, it's just easy to remember and at my age and diminished memory capacity, I need all the help I can get!).
I am looking forward to chatting with you all!:muah:

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
All I've gotten down is the knit stitch, some form of a decrease, and a half-way bind off. I'm trying, and I hope to get as good as some of you all out there.
You can do it! :thumbsup:
i CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, PLEASE HELP JOAN ADIS:muah:
Welcome Joan! :hug:
I am looking forward to chatting with you all!:muah:
Welcome! :wink:

justsmi
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I just stumbled across this site, I'm sure I will be back often. It wouldn't let me update my profile, so I'll just say a few words here.
I'm 33yo, mother of two. I have crocheted for many many years, but my New Years resolution this year was to learn to knit. Since I have a very active toddler, a couch potato DH, a teenager, and a full time job, my free time is very limited... so far I have somewhat mastered the basic knit and purl (LOL) and I'm almost through with a scarf that looks like the basket weave stitch in crochet, a hat will soon follow (hopefully).
Glad to be here though!!
Courtney

Megan Grace
01-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and just thought I should probably introduce myself before I jump right into posting. I am a student working on getting a masters in library and info science. In my spare time I knit, read, play with my kitties and play the cello. I would probably call myself an advanced beginner knitter, as I have only been knitting for around 3-4 years. When I stumbled upon this site I felt like I'd found the jack pot!

Glad to be here!

Megan

cooljessij
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
hey im jess. ive been knittin for a year but i still consider myself novice. im eager to converse with other knitters

MargaretR
01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
With three kids under 6 and a spouse ---this website is such a help. My knitting is often done at night after the twirps are in bed and its been a great help when I have a question and my knitting friends wouldn't appreciate a phone call! Thank you very much.

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Welcome, welcome!! :hug:

primaknittermom
01-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've been knitting for about 8 years. I have six kids, one great husband and I live in Central Texas.

I homeschool 3 of my kids (the first two graduated) and have a toddler, so I don't know if I'll post much, but I am looking forward to reading all the great info on this forum and learning a lot.

dustinac
01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
:happydance: Welcome everyone!!

sqyguy
01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Just Joined today and wanted to say hello!;)

I come from Scotland (very cold just now). I live with my partner Paul and my big dog Chievs.
I was taught how to knit when I was a little girl by my mum who is a beautiful knitter and can turn her hand to everything. I have only recently returned to knitting :knitting: and I find it very therapeutic. My main aim is to learn how to make socks and turn heels, as I can knit pretty much anything when I put my mind to it but I seem to have a mental block with this haha.:thumbsup:

chupacabra
01-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Hello all, I've been knitting for a little over a year. I'm more inclined towards lace knitting owing to my location on the TX Gulf Coast. I'm looking forward to meeting other people so that I may further enable my addiction. :mrgreen:

noratasha
01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
:knitting: Hi....I'm Jerrie Ann....I'm a long time knitter....almost 23 years of knitting under my belt!!! I also crochet, and I get to embroider on big embroidery machines for a living as well as teach a basic crocheting class and head a knitters & crocheter's circle once a month....Did I mention that my hubby is in the Air Force and that we're stationed in England? So, I'm a long way from home, and I need to have something great to do with my time....You should see my yarn collection...it's growing on a weekly basis!!! :knitting:

nerdwithneedles
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi peoples :waving:,
My name is Maya and I'm a sorta kinda intermediatish knitter. I've known how to knit for about six years, but I just recently started knitting more. I'm a teen knitter, and I'm in the middle of convincing my friends to start knitting as well. I used this site to learn pretty much everything beyond the basics, and I've been lurking the forums for a bit. I really really want to figure out how to work a heel properly, since the last sock I attempted ended up with a hole instead of a heel.:mrgreen:

judy_c
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
This is my first time to join an online chat group. I guess all new things are confusing as it just took me awhile to even figure out how to start this first post! But learning keeps us young, I guess. I love the videos and feel like it is a very comfortable way to learn. I've been knitting for about 3 months now (self taught) and have finally gotten pretty comfortable in the English method. Today I tried to learn the Continental method since others have told me it is faster once you get used to it. I was totally all thumbs and I know that is normal. But I'd like to hear some comments from others who have learned one way, then switched to the other way.

I have to admit those little characters on the side here ("smiles") are making me smile and take a breath and relax!

Shandeh
01-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Welcome new KHers! :muah:

You're in the right place. cloud9

erikalee
01-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Hello everyone! :thumbsup:

I am a very new knitter. I learned to knit on November 10th at a Girl Scout Leader Retreat. I've been hooked ever since!

So far I have made 2 stockinette stitch scarves, 3-2inch wide bracelets for my 7yo daughter and her two BFF's when one moved away (I used the video on this site to do a 3 needle bind off on that project), a pair of legwarmers for the same dd that involved knit2/purl2 (I learned how to do that from another video on this site) and as of 2 days ago, I can cable knit! :woohoo:

I am 28 yo, SAHM, married for 10 years, have a 7yo daughter and a 3yo son, and I am a Brownie Scout Troop Leader for my daughter's troop.

I love :knitting: !

E.D.

anastaciaknits
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I just thought I'd say hello here, too. I'm new, though I've been to the site a few times over the years, just not here at the forums. I'm anastacia, I live in MA & I love to knit, crochet, spin, and dye, though I'm only good at knitting & crocheting LOL. My favorite things to make are afghans, sweaters, dishcloths, and socks, and I love anything with fair isle!

juliep
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi, my name is Julie, and I've been knitting for 3 years. I am currently trying to find out how to post a specific question on "how to drop a yarn over", but can't find how to post!!! (except here). I guess I will keep looking, and post this question where it should be posted. I love to knit, to me it is so relaxing, and my favorite time to knit is in the morning after I've read the paper. It's quiet, and I sit in my chair overlooking my yard of woods. It's beautiful and so relaxing, until I get STUCK, which I'm sure we all have. Looks like a great place to meet other knitters and get some questions answered!! :cheering:

Lyttlewon
01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi I am new here. My name is Aimee and I am a novice knitter.

Jeremy
01-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi, my name is Julie, and I've been knitting for 3 years. I am currently trying to find out how to post a specific question on "how to drop a yarn over", but can't find how to post!!! (except here). I guess I will keep looking, and post this question where it should be posted. I love to knit, to me it is so relaxing, and my favorite time to knit is in the morning after I've read the paper. It's quiet, and I sit in my chair overlooking my yard of woods. It's beautiful and so relaxing, until I get STUCK, which I'm sure we all have. Looks like a great place to meet other knitters and get some questions answered!! :cheering:

Hi Julie. Welcome to the forum. There is a How to section here. Just look above and click on the words "Knittinghelp.com forum" then click on How to forum. To answer your question, just take it off the left needle, it won't show in your knitting. Then knit the next stitch. Keep coming back, there's lots of great stuff and great people here.

Jeremy
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Just Joined today and wanted to say hello!;)

I come from Scotland (very cold just now). I live with my partner Paul and my big dog Chievs.
I was taught how to knit when I was a little girl by my mum who is a beautiful knitter and can turn her hand to everything. I have only recently returned to knitting :knitting: and I find it very therapeutic. My main aim is to learn how to make socks and turn heels, as I can knit pretty much anything when I put my mind to it but I seem to have a mental block with this haha.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. There is a nice video on how to turn a heel. Silver, a mod here, also has some excellent sock tutorials at her web site. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

Jeremy
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
:knitting: Hi....I'm Jerrie Ann....I'm a long time knitter....almost 23 years of knitting under my belt!!! I also crochet, and I get to embroider on big embroidery machines for a living as well as teach a basic crocheting class and head a knitters & crocheter's circle once a month....Did I mention that my hubby is in the Air Force and that we're stationed in England? So, I'm a long way from home, and I need to have something great to do with my time....You should see my yarn collection...it's growing on a weekly basis!!! :knitting:

Welcome, we have a number of members from the UK here.

cindid
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I really like your help section and videos! thnak you cindid

Shandeh
01-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome everyone! :woohoo:

Shana_Hammaker
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
This site is amazing!
I have just started knitting with my 11-year-old daughter.
I bought "Knitting and Crocheting for Dummies",
and we bravely got out our needles and yarn, and stared at the pictures illustrating how to cast on...and quickly became very glum!
It was just absolutely incomprehensible.
Then I did a google search for "casting on"
and found this site with an amazing, simple video for the double-strand cast, and am so excited to get going with this stuff!
Thanks!

Bug-a-Boo's Mama
01-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Heather and I am brand new to knitting. I bought a couple of how to knit/crochet books-:frog: . Definitely not enough details/pictures for me. I have gotten down the basics for knitting on a loom though. Just covering the knitting bases! This site was mentioned on the Hyena Cart forum, so I decided to check it out. The how to video's are AWESOME!! :woot: I think that I might be able to knit the scarf that I want to :knitting: without having a brain aneurysm :eyes: .

:muah:

gram3boys
01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
This is my first time in your forum and if it is anything like the website everything should be fantastic. I have recommended it to everyone in my knitting group at our LKS. Thanks again!

nanny12
01-07-2008, 09:32 AM
This is great website. I have been knitting a long time. I love to knit and watch TV. I live in Florida and find it hot to knit in the summer time but I really go at it when it is cold. I live in North Florida so we get about 4 months of cool weather. I am looking forward to enjoying this web site. It is a great idea.

dustinac
01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
:happydance: YAY!! Welcome to KH!! :woot:

erikalee
01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Hello Nanny12. I live in N. Florida too! There isn't much of a knitting community here, I guess because of our climate. A friend of mine just moved to Maine and she says there are knitting circles in nearly every public building. She has a giant yarn store just down the street! I'm so jealous, but I refuse to give up on my search for knitters!

Edit: I have recently discovered our city's very own LYS! It's called KnitWitz. I plan to go on Saturday and check it out. :woot:
I also found a Yahoo! Knitting Group that meets on Thursdays and I'm going to that next Thursday. I knew I would find fellow knitters here if I just kept looking! cloud9

Shandeh
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM

2sweetgirls38
01-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi! My name is Mary, I'm 30 years old and I live in Georgia. I picked up my first set of knitting needles in November. I am still having a bit of trouble getting started (I can cast on great, but it's that first row that gets me still). I am a master of scarves right now.

I have two little girls, Tori and Addi. They are 3 1/2 and 8 months. LOVE THEM! I work in my local school system.

Look forward to learning more and getting to know you girls better.

ArtLady1981
01-08-2008, 12:21 AM
We are so happy to have new members! You are truly inspiring to all of us! Please don't be shy about posting photos of your knitting and/or crochet! Also, we are here to help you with any question! :muah:

Shandeh
01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Look forward to learning more and getting to know you girls better.
Welcome Mary! :hug:
(but there are guys here too) :teehee:

wafty
01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi
I have just joined this forum and would like to say hello to everyone.
I have returned to knitting after a break of 20 years. Twenty years ago I was knitting batwing sleeved cardigans, in mohair.
I have been back knitting about 2 years now, due to arthritis in my hands I like to knit quite a lot of toys now. In fact I am quite addicted to them, they are small and light to knit.
I also knit for my grandchildren of which there are 6, so they keep me busy.
I look forward to talking to you all.

joan adis
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
hI, ISN'T IT GREAT GETTING BACK TO KNITTING where do you live? do you knit continental way, or regular way? i just learned continental and it just seems so much faater. good luck and talk soon. Joan

2sweetgirls38
01-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Welcome Mary! :hug:
(but there are guys here too) :teehee:

You know, I typed that and though about guys being on here too. Sorry guys! I look forward to getting to know you too!:aww:

Ylka
01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
:knitting: Hello, I love to knit. I crotcheted for 30 years and I have been knitting for 6 years now. I just joined Ravelry:woohoo: . I also joined a knitting group in my area. I found this site by asking questions about the short row heel wrap. Thank you for being here to answer questions. If there is ever a question I can answer, I will.

Shandeh
01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Welcome new KHers! :hug:
I have a problem with my latest knitting project - a winter white cardigan (very simple) for my oldest daughter. I have it all done but the border. My pattern says to k1p1 forever until it measures right for the size of sweater, however, I've been reading EZ and I'd like to try knitting it on. I don't understand her directions for doing this, however. Can you help ? I don't even want button holes !
Welcome Trixie! I'm going to move your question to the "How To" section, so you'll get some answers. I'll send you a link to the new post.

You know, I typed that and though about guys being on here too. Sorry guys! I look forward to getting to know you too!:aww:
:thumbsup:

southernknitter
01-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I've been knitting less than a year and the person who taught me gave me this website. It has been a God-send! The videos are so detailed and very informative. I can't wait to learn all of the stitches and techniques!

Snoofly
01-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been knitting, rather talentlessly for a while now, and am just about to finish my first sweater. :woohoo: Be prepared for lots of stupid questions for me!!

Karina
01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi
I hope I am doing this right.
My name is Karina and I live in Essex, UK. Have for some time been a bit envious of my husband who belong to the AVForum which is set up similar to this site, wishing there was a site for me to join which encourage my interests. and here you are. Am enjoying reading all the post, can imagine all this reading will take up some of my knitting time.
Karina

dustinac
01-09-2008, 11:23 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH!! yeah reading the forum really does cut into my knitting time :teehee: .. I do like to use the knitspy though if you click under Quick links you will see it... and then you can read all the new posts while you knit :oo: it can be addicting!!

wafty
01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I live in Selsey, West Sussex, 5 mins from the sea.
I guess I just knit the regular way.
Look forward to chatting to everyone.

Shandeh
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Welcome new KHers!

I notice that several of you live in the UK. If you are interested in charity knitting, there is a project in our forum for making baby blankets. We have one getting started in England right now! (click the link below to get to that project)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67994

Be prepared for lots of stupid questions for me!!
There is no such thing as a stupid question. Every one of us had lots of questions when we first started knitting. I still have more questions today!

babsnelson
01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi all. My name is Barb and I've been knitting for about 22 years now (sheesh - time sure dies fly!). When I had my kids, knitting had to take a back seat to being a mommy, but now they are old enough to leave me alone and let me knit!

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

zoobaybee
01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Everyone! My name is Erin, and I've been lurking around these pages for the last year or so. I am a self-taught knitter for about a year now, what I thought would be a passing fad has become somewhat of an obsession. I have been married happily for 4 1/2 years, and have lived in numerous locations throughout the western U.S. for the last 6 years. I currently live in Southwest Canyon Country, but DH and I are getting ready for a big move to Alaska! So, I guess I'll be stepping it up in the warm woolen knits department! :knitting:

This website has been a great resource for me in my knitting adventures, and I look forward to getting to know some of you AND improving my skills!

~Erin~

homefireknits
01-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello, hello! I'm living in Stillwater, MN. As a designer, this is a little embarrassing, but we need help, too! I'll be interested to see just how little I know. You never know it all! :knitting:

jam
01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Hello,
I'm new here but not to knitting and crocheting. I love both!
Since I'm long retired I have lots of time on my hand so I knit and crochet hats and mittens for the needy children of our county.
And anything else anyone wants. :)
I'm glad to finally find a forum where I can get ideas from others and join in the fun.
Thank you.

Shandeh
01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Welcome everyone! I look forward to getting to know you all!
:hug:

nstssj
01-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey there,

I've been lurking and posting for awhile, but never properly introduced myself, so

Hi! I'm nstssj, intermediate knitter--and here I'm being very generous with myself--and avid knit-tip collector. This site is the perfect knitter's site if there ever was one :)

I'm married, 6 cats (plus a foster kitty, usually), MFA degree, and love pictures of hands knitting.

Happy to meet y'all!

karpo
01-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi!

I'm new here, and to knitting... my mom tried to teach me about 30 years ago, and it wasn't until my daughter chose a "learn to knit" kit as a prize at church last month that I even considered it.
(I have a link to my blog post where I write about it, in my signature, below)

Looking forward to learning as much as I can!

Blessings,
Karla

KnitTwit
01-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I've been a looky-loo around here for awhile and figured it was time to say, "Howdy!"
Since I'm not an expert knitter (far, far from it), I really enjoy reading about and seeing all of the pretties that the members are knitting. This place is a treasure trove of information and, IMHO, the best forum for knitters on the www. :thumbsup:

bruja
01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello, I have been knitting for a little while, but I do not know anyone that knits. This site has been so amazing to help me get better. The illustrations in the books are great but sometimes difficult to really do, so to actually see videos of it helps me so much. Everything i knit just comes up short, and i have seen a few videos that explains to me a little bit of why and even some solutions for areas i am not strong in. THANK YOU so much for this site, it is fantastic!

sakura-panda
01-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Hello! What a friendly bunch of people you all are!

I've been browsing the site for a couple of days and I've read a lot of good advice and suggestions and everyone appears to be so helpful and friendly and courteous that I just HAD to join. :)

I already have a yarn stash, many needles, and a love of yarn! My mother taught me crochet when I was very young, but I only know a couple of designs and I can't read a pattern for anything!

I currently have an afghan/throw in progress, but it is too big to carry around and I wanted a project I could bring with me in the car -- knitting seemed to be a good option, although I want to learn to read crochet patterns and expand my skills there too.

Last year (Dec 2006), my LYS had an open house and I stopped in, browsed the yarn, and begged for lessons. (I ended up with a two-session one-on-one with the owner, who didn't normally do the teaching!)

Unfortunately, my LYS closed recently and now I need a new knitting resource. :pout:

I can't wait to jump in and start getting to know everybody! I can already tell that the hard part will be keeping my stash manageable -- I've already bookmarked links to several online yarn shops!

Shandeh
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! :woohoo:

Sunshine's Mom
01-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi
I'm new to the knitting forum and am figuring my way around. I'm a little confused, but I'll get the hang of it eventually. Just saying "HI" and am looking forward to having with the site and getting some great help. I can tell already that you are kind and caring people. Thanks to all and talk to you soon!

gargoyle08
01-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Hello Everybody :)
I am fairly new to knitting, I started two months ago by making a simple garter stitch "practice" scarf. I then tried a little preemie hat (learned that #6 bamboo is NOT my favorite tool) that turned out ok I believe. Inspired by the Lionbrand Xmas podcast, I went on to try the "Learn to Cable Scarf" (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60429A.html?noImages=) and it's going along pretty well! It is not done yet, but I managed to make a camo beanie for my hubby and started a shawl for myself. I find that I love to learn decorative stitches however I am pretty slow at knitting in general.

I usually knit while watching TV or when I go to my Sit and Knit (http://knitting.meetup.com/953/) meetings. Any idle time I can steal is used for yarn is some way form or manner. I found out about this site at the Sit and Knit meeting and I have been watching and reading it ever since.

Another challenge I want to take on is crochet. My grandma tried to teach me, but I could never get past the chain :(
I hope I will be able to help other members and I look forward to reading you.

Nadine in AZ

giggygiggles
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
hi,everyone,so happy to become a new member ,i love to knit..have been busy making fiber trnds slippers,were you felt them,they are so nice,now i would love to make the baby snugs,would any one have a pattern for them??? have been searching for days,thanks so much

mrsberts
01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm teaching myself to knit and crochet with books and videos on YouTube. Stick with it, gargoyle08- knitting is delightful, but crochet is great for producing decorative effects that knitting doesn't do as easily. I'm doing that with a baby blanket I'm working on- knitting the blanket, then crocheting right into the knitted edge for a funky trim.

Deni
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Love the site! It's hard to get to my favorite yarn shop during their hours. Now I have an alternative! I just started knitting about a year ago so I have lots to learn and many questions, but I am certainly addicted - or so says my husband...

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Welcome everyone! You're in the right place! :thumbsup:
I'm new to the knitting forum and am figuring my way around. I'm a little confused, but I'll get the hang of it eventually.
I'm sorry you're confused! :pout:
Hang in there, and it will work itself out.

Another challenge I want to take on is crochet. My grandma tried to teach me, but I could never get past the chain :(
I want to learn crochet as well. I know the basic stitches, but have no idea how to understand patterns. They look like greek to me. :teehee:

...i would love to make the baby snugs,would any one have a pattern for them??? have been searching for days,thanks so much
I don't know what a baby snug is. Do you have a photo?

mom2rachjust
01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
I've made it a resolution this year to learn to knit after several failed attempts! I can crochet some fairly advanced things with some patience and perseverance but the two tools instead of one has me stuck. I recently learned about the Continental style which I think will make more sense to me because I'm used to handling my yarn in my left hand already and the awkwardness might tone down a bit. I keep meaning to take the plunge but with several crochet WIPs it's hard to let myself begin.

HeatherSheree
01-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Hello
I want to say thank you so because of this site i can cast on and knit
(kinda). So far my practicing looks like a fishing net ,but i'm enjoying
myself.
Thank You
HeatherSheree

aztec_judy
01-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Shandeh .. if I am correct a baby snug is the old baby buntings .. if you recall those .. where its like a sleeping bag with a zipper or tie that you put the baby in .. it has only one opening to it.. where the baby is slipped in.

Yarn_Fondler
01-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi all,

My name is Tiffany. I am a new knitter. I have been knitting since this summer when I went to the library to find a book on crochet and found one for both knit and crochet. I went home to look at the patterns and found that I liked more of the knitted things than the crocheted ones. I currently live in Germany and since there aren't a lot of knitters (or crocheters for that matter) here I didn't know what to do. I looked online for knitting videos (because looking at the pics in a book wasn't cutting it for me) I found this incredible site and have been hooked on knitting ever since!
Besides knitting I'm also a home school mom of 4 and the wive of the most wonderful man on earth. My husband is currently in Iraq for the next 15 months. We have been married for 14 years and I am grateful he put up with me for so long:yay:

Well, I don't want to write a book so I will leave off with this. Starting new things is often scary for me because I have a fear of failure, BUT I want to change that. I won't quit!

Thanks,
Tiffany

stel_nie
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Hola.. My name's Stella. I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I've just learned how to knit from this site about a week ago, and now i'm on knitting a scarf for my boyfriend's birthday, but i'm just using the basic knit (coz i think it's not my time yet for using advanced knit) :knitting:
I have questions about my knitting, hope u all can help me so i can finish it on time ;)

maknitter
01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Hello fellow (or more probable; sister) knitters,

I have posted in the past, and received great amounts of help, for which I thank you. Since it has been many months, I will redo a short intro. I have five children and knit when I can in Iowa. Well, closer to the truth would be to say that I knit any time I can and occasionally remember to do a little housework or cooking.

Looking forward to reading all of your news!

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Shandeh .. if I am correct a baby snug is the old baby buntings .. if you recall those .. where its like a sleeping bag with a zipper or tie that you put the baby in .. it has only one opening to it.. where the baby is slipped in.
I'll see what I can find. :wink:

I went home to look at the patterns and found that I liked more of the knitted things than the crocheted ones. - Tiffany
That's the PRECISE reason that I chose to knit instead of crochet as well! The final product just appeals to me.

........... i'm just using the basic knit (coz i think it's not my time yet for using advanced knit)
That's a very wise thing to do. This way, you'll get very comfortable with the knit stitch! :thumbsup:

Hello fellow (or more probable; sister) knitters,
I have posted in the past, and received great amounts of help...
You were right the first time. We have both genders! :)
Welcome back! :hug:

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I did find some patterns for you, and posted them in the "Pattern Central" section of our forum:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Here is my post that says, "Baby Bunting"
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1040217#post1040217

jimmersgal
01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi All,
This is my first time ever to be a part of this forum.
I'm a beginner knitter even though I'm in my mid 40s. But never
too late, right?
Anyway, I'm teaching myself to read patterns. But to begin with, I'm making a scarf -- Size 13 needle; Lion Boucle yarn; I casted 20.
My problem is when I end the first skein of yarn and I want to add the next skein, do I tie it off? What I did was to add the yarn along with my existing yarn by knitting it in -- it made it really bulky on that existing row. What would you suggest? I just don't want to have my scarf unravel and fall apart. Can you help this beginner?:rofl:

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 09:11 PM
My problem is when I end the first skein of yarn and I want to add the next skein, do I tie it off?

Welcome to the forum! :hug:

Amy has some videos about how to join in a new yarn. Just go to this page, and scroll down until you see "Joining Yarn". You'll see lots of options about what to do, with videos for each of them! :)

twinsand3
01-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi, thought I'd introduce myself since I'm posting some threads/replies. I also have 5 children, ages 24 down to age 7 (twin girls). I've taught myself the basics, need to learn how to read patterns though. I think I must be a process knitter instead of a project knitter, I just really enjoy the magic of the yarn & needles. :) I've been stuck on socks for awhile, I like to do them on 2 circs but am going to try the magic loop. I haven't mastered the dpn's. I have more yarn and projects in mind than I'll ever get done (probably like a lot of you) but I can't help it, the yarn just calls to me! Anyways, hope to get to know you guys and learn from your experiences.

yiziee
01-12-2008, 07:46 AM
BRILL SITE!!! the knitchat is really great and the videos help alot i'm a beginner so this site really helps and i like the friendly members they are fun o talk to :D 10x cu

aztec_judy
01-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Shandeh .. thanks .. but it was GIGGYGIGGLES, that asked for the snugs ... I was only attempting to explain what I believe them to be?? .. but thanksssss will ck them out as there is a couple of young ladies at the church that are due.. and with it being chilly out they mite like one.. lolol

WELCOME EVERY ONE !!!!!! This really is a very neat site for sure...

And I stand corrected also, I had posted, can't remember where now ?? That AA also has videos, well they have changed things around and I can't find them on there anymore ?? So glad they have the videos on here .. cause I tooo need videos at time to catch on to a stitch ...
thanksssssss

aztec_judy
01-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Twins&3 : aint twins the neatest .. lol Hang in there you will learn to read patts eventually, really you will. took me awhile to learn how to read them also; but I still have to read line work it.. read line work it.. lol I crochet.
I have twins ages 35 and 33 now... lol

dogxtc
01-12-2008, 09:51 AM
In seeking an answer to a question about fitting a row counter to a bond incredible sweater machine, i came across this site. i am lousy on computers and don't know what i should be asking and where so i hope someone finds this. I was given an incredible sweater machine and am trying it out. i am mysftified as to how to fit the row counter as the book shows it fits to the back of the bed but i can't slot it on. am i missing something, or is something missing from the row counter, screw attachment etc? any help greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Mags
South Wales

L'Oreo
01-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm enjoying finally learning to knit with the help of this website. I can finally see the instructions clearly and as often as I want by watching the videos here. Family would get me started every Christmas, but when I ran into trouble it was difficult getting help.

I'm a married, working mother of two (12 & 8) and have found it very convenient to Google a question rather than wait for the local knitting place to be open on Saturdays at 10:30.

However, I do miss the camaraderie of like-minded people to share my interests with. I'm joining a weavers guild on the 26th for their annual Tea Party so I can explore avenues of spinning my own yarn. But in the meantime I have found forums are a great resource.

I belong to a gardening forum, a birding forum, a forum on geocaching, and now this one. I look forward to meeting and chatting with you.

L'Oreo

cassonade
01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hello,
l am a new member. l am a grandmother of 3 and l have a new kitten called Cassy. l learned to knit by myself but l still have a lot to learn hoping to meet fellow knitters here.
Have a wonderful day.
Cassonade

Shandeh
01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
Amy has some videos about how to join in a new yarn. Just go to this page, and scroll down until you see "Joining Yarn". You'll see lots of options about what to do, with videos for each of them! :)
Here is the link that I FORGOT TO ADD last time. :doh:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

.........I just really enjoy the magic of the yarn & needles. :) ........I have more yarn and projects in mind than I'll ever get done (probably like a lot of you) but I can't help it, the yarn just calls to me!
OMG! You're my double! :shock:
:hug:

Shandeh .. thanks .. but it was GIGGYGIGGLES, that asked for the snugs ... I was only attempting to explain what I believe them to be??
Ha! :roflhard:

Now, you have absolute proof that I really am an airhead, just like my friends always say. :teehee:

I was given an incredible sweater machine and am trying it out. i am mysftified as to how to fit the row counter as the book shows it fits to the back of the bed but i can't slot it on. am i missing something, or is something missing from the row counter, screw attachment etc?
Mags, I wish I could help, but I am not familiar at ALL with doing that to a Bond machine. I am copying your post to the "How To" section. Here's a link to the new location:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73630

I'm joining a weavers guild on the 26th for their annual Tea Party so I can explore avenues of spinning my own yarn.
Neat! I'm learning to weave right now too. I've been spinning a couple years, but it's a lot more work than knitting, so I keep setting it aside. It's fun, though! :)

tokmom
01-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm Kelly and I learned to knit in home ec in 7th grade. I picked it up again, after my sister in law gave me a felted tote bag. I knew I had to try to make one and I have fallen back in love with this simple and relaxing craft.
I too want to say thanks for the videos. It has helped me more than you know.:thumbsup:

tamari07
01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm tammy... I'm a newbie to knitting. I'm a crochet person, but i'm trying to pick up knitting. I look forward to using this site for help in my knitting adventures!

jasmalicious
01-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi, Im Jasmin from Western Australia.

A couple of friends at work have inspired me to try knitting, and I am quite enjoying it. I am only on my first scarf, so I can't call myself a 'knitter' just yet - but look forward to learning from you all.

I have been making jewellery for a few years now, and I think that has helped build my co-ordination which probably makes the knitting a little bit easier to grasp.

colleengt
01-13-2008, 07:51 AM
I am very new to this type of thing so please excuse me if I get things wrong - I can knit, just, but am not very good on finishing off!!!!!

My main hobby is patchwork and quilting and beadwork but I started knitting again when I went to buy a pair of gloves and saw the cost and thought I can do better than that for a lot cheaper - so I am trying out knitting with 4 needles and so far, although not perfect, the first glove does actually look round and the cable pattern isn't looking tooooooo bad.....

I look forward to learning more about knitting and perhaps try something more adventurous.

Colleen G-T

aztec_judy
01-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Ha! :roflhard:

Now, you have absolute proof that I really am an airhead, just like my friends always say. :teehee:

Well, we can be airheads together .. cause I have done the same thing .. lolol
not sure if I did the quote thingy correct by we shall see .. lolol

Jeremy
01-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome to all of our new members.:hug:

dustinac
01-13-2008, 12:05 PM
:woot: Welcome everyone!! :woot:

giggygiggles
01-13-2008, 05:13 PM
baby snugs are little felted boots ..they are so cute,but i don;t have credit card to order pattern,was just wondering if any one had one ,thanks :)

Shandeh
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Well, we can be airheads together .. cause I have done the same thing .. lolol
not sure if I did the quote thingy correct by we shall see .. lolol
Yay! A sister airhead! :hug:

baby snugs are little felted boots ..they are so cute,but i don;t have credit card to order pattern,was just wondering if any one had one ,thanks :)
Here is a pattern for baby uggs. They might work for you.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,,DIY_14141_3148516,00.html

avth
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi there.

I am new to Knitting Help. I got this name through Knitting Sisters. I am on Ravelry.com {knistertoo} and am pep5per.blogspot.com.

My nest goal is to begin my first pair of socks. I have purchased some Koigu Yarn and have every size of DPNs known to woman. :teehee:

I am very apprehensive about this venture and will need much support. I do hope that you ladies can offer it.

I do hope to hear from someone soon and it feel great to be on Knitting Help.

Angela

losnana
01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi, Neighbor,
I'm in Gloucester and LOVE Knitting Sisters. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here. Just ask! The How To forum is probably your best bet if you have questions.

nitewyngs
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
:woot:Hi! I love this site since it takes me step by step through some of my knitting.

angieNZ
01-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi there,

I'm from lil old New Zealand and have just started knitting. Have only done a couple of really easy hats and next I want to do some longies on circular needles but got no idea how to read a pattern or use circulars! :eyes:

I look forward to chatting with you all ;)

JReynolds670
01-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Hello,
My name is Jewell and I love the knitting videos. I am a beginning knitter and the videos have been very helpful. I am stuck reading instructions on a baby blanket to keep to pattern. Can anyone help me?

frk.fryd
01-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi!
I'm glad I found this site! It's great! :yay:
I love knitting an chrochet, and hope this will be
some what of a inspiration for me:X:

rnmcgovern
01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Hello,
My name is Karen McGovern. I have been knitting the basics for several years. I have also been raising Alpaca and now have 100% Alpaca yarn that I would like to sell. I thought this may be a good place to start. This looks like a very nice website.

Karen

Shandeh
01-14-2008, 03:38 PM

I am very apprehensive about this venture and will need much support. I do hope that you ladies can offer it.
Welcome Angela! Don't be nervous. Knitting needles don't bite. And neither do we! :hug:

I want to do some longies on circular needles but got no idea how to read a pattern or use circulars! :eyes:
One of our members, who is known as Ingrid, always says "Trust the pattern". And she is right! Just do what it says, one step at a time, and everything will work!

If I were you, I would stick to straight needles for a while, until you get comfortable with patterns, and THEN try out circular knitting. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I am stuck reading instructions on a baby blanket to keep to pattern. Can anyone help me?
Which pattern are you using? What part are you having trouble with? You'll get lots of help if you post your question in the "How To" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

The pattern says to stocking stitch until the work measures a certain length, ending with an rs row. Then I am to knit two rows and then I switch to the moss stitch.
My question is, the ending with the "right side"row...does that mean that the last row I knit is the right side row....or would it mean that I purl and end with the right side facing me. Most patterns I have done in the past usually had one end with the right side facing. This one sounds different. Any guesses.This is a Sirdar pattern #1562 for Tiny tots and I am making the hooded cardigan. Thanks.
I've moved your question to the "How To" section, so you'll get some answers there.

Here's a link to your post:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73783

jashley
01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi,

My name is Jean, I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, and I've been able to knit and purl (semi-successfully) for a few years, but recently I've decided to venture out into--gasp--lace knitting. So, naturally, the day after I start a lace knitting project, I search for "lace knitting help" :frog: and this site is one of Google's results, so here I am!

I'll post my worry about the extra stitch in my first lace knitting project somewhere else, though I don't know where yet--still looking around.

Virtually yours,
Jean

p0tato
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
A few years ago, my best friend told me he had learned how to knit scarves. We joked around and I teased him a bit - it's what we do - and he promised to make me a scarf. Years later, he still hasn't. However, a few months ago, his totally awesome girlfriend taught me the basics - casting on, knit, purl, binding off - and now I have an army of scarves and hats that my cat really doesn't like wearing. (The fluffy orange one looks best on him.)

I'm a compulsive yarn shopper. I've literally filled up a Hobby Lobby cart with yarn. Now, if you've been to Hobby Lobby, you know their carts aren't exactly Costco-sized, not even as large as a grocery cart, but no matter how you look at it...I have a LOT of yarn. I'm very stubborn and don't follow patterns well. I got in lots of bad, "Oh, I can just tweak this," habits from my sewing days. I commit the dreadful sin of buying yarn with no project in mind for it and then find little or nothing to do with it.

I'm really interested in growing beyond basic hats, scarves, and blankets. My dream website would enable you to specify what size needles you're going to use and have it automatically convert a pattern so you CAN use those eight enormous balls of super-fluffy novelty yarn you bought to make a bathrobe or duster or...anything. Well, maybe not the super fluffy. Maybe the somewhat fluffy knit together with one of the glittery yarns that are too scratchy to make good scarves. Or maybe the...

You get my point.

Aside from knitting, I like watching TV shows (...while I knit, so it's more like "listening to"), playing video games, and reading. Every so often I'll go back to flirting with hobbies like origami and sudoku. I keep telling myself I'll go back to sewing again, but it's been almost two and a half years. If you think I've got a lot of yarn, you should see how much fabric I still have. Oof.

Leeba
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Hello, I am interested in learning to knit. I am 78 years old and have been trying to learn for at least 60 of those years. I have not been able to do that successfully so far. I know how to cast on, to knit, and to purl. Somehow it seems that it is never as good as it should be. Can you help me? THANK YOU in advance.:knitting:

knitaddicted
01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I have been knitting since I was 10 and am now 47. I have made almost everything and am looking to swap patterns and see what everyone else is making. :knitting: I also have been crocheting for the same length of time. I enjoy going to Stiches Midwest each summer and usually find really georgeous fibers and supplies there. I don't know a lot of knitters and most of my friends think of it as a "Grandmotherish" activity. I Look forward to hearing from others who enjoy the craft as much as I do.
Cindy

crazycraftmama
01-15-2008, 01:07 AM
I just found this site while looking for a pattern. This sounds alot like the crochet group that I belong too. We always can find an answer or a pattern and most of all we HAVE FUN! Anyway I have been knitting for over 30 years but not as seriously as I probably should, I spend alot of time on crochet,cross stitch etc.... I am 41, have one DD age 11, And a fairly new SO who actually buys YARN for me! I think I have to keep him around for many years to come(LOL)!
I was looking for a slipper pattern, my SO has a pair and I can't figure them out by looking at them. They are made with double yarn(4ply) and have a seam up the heel and one on top of the foot. the toe part has k1p1, across and the foot has k every row. they also have a small cuff in a contrasting color. I could try to post a pic at a later date if I need to but, just got the camera and am not sure how to do that.
Mary

knitaddicted
01-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Jean,
Lace knitting can be difficult at first since you really can't make any mistakes or the whole pattern is off. Try using a clip board, some are metal with magnets to keep your place and only do this project when your concentration is good, never when tired. Save your midless knitting projects that require simple knit/purl for when you can't concentrate. Good Luck, Cindy

suzeeq
01-15-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm a compulsive yarn shopper. I've literally filled up a Hobby Lobby cart with yarn. Now, if you've been to Hobby Lobby, you know their carts aren't exactly Costco-sized, not even as large as a grocery cart, but no matter how you look at it...I have a LOT of yarn. I'm very stubborn and don't follow patterns well. I got in lots of bad, "Oh, I can just tweak this," habits from my sewing days. I commit the dreadful sin of buying yarn with no project in mind for it and then find little or nothing to do with it.

I'm really interested in growing beyond basic hats, scarves, and blankets. My dream website would enable you to specify what size needles you're going to use and have it automatically convert a pattern so you CAN use those eight enormous balls of super-fluffy novelty yarn you bought to make a bathrobe or duster or...anything. Well, maybe not the super fluffy. Maybe the somewhat fluffy knit together with one of the glittery yarns that are too scratchy to make good scarves. Or maybe the...

Hi and welcome. You can go to these free patterns http://www.dailyknitter.com/patterns.html select a category and the patterns are classified by needle size. Maybe that would help. And yeah, you could combine yarns or use up the single skeins in a Log Cabin style blanket, or just about any blanket pattern. Maybe not the fluffy glittery stuff though...

Darcia
01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I am Canadian praire-born but then lived in the Yukon and married my sweetheart and ad my two angels there. We now live in PEI and love it.

I love to knitt. My grandma taught me when I was six. I have knitted off and on, but after having children I got into i again. My oldest dd loves to help and I am excited to teach her soon. She allready can tie a sipnot.

I was told of this site by a friend of mine who now lives in Kugluktuk, a very far northern community. So I use once in a while to help when I am not sure I am doing it right, since it has been a long time since my grandma showed me. Funny though, it is like riding a bike. I find it so natural and relaxing. Right now I am knitting a little back-pack bag for my sister-in-law for her birthday.

Happy Knitting!:knitting:

Jeremy
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Welcome to everyone. For those looking for help with technique, try the great videos here. For those seeking pattern help there is a great pattern section here. Look for the sticky above the posts for some great sites for free patterns.

SpunMonkey
01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm brand new to knitting and thrilled that I found this site! I tried to learn to knit the English way, but because of problems with my right wrist, I was unable to get the fingers of my right hand to cooperate.

I bought a "teach yourself to knit" book and started to practice the continental method of knitting. A problem arose when I tried to bind off according to the instruction in the book. I studied and studied and tried to figure it out, but couldn't. I decided to do an Internet search to see if I could find a demonstration and found your site. When I played your bind off video, I couldn't believe it! The problem was that the "bind off" diagrams in the book I bought were actually backwards, (printed in mirror image.)

Now, I've tossed the book and I'm sitting in front of my computer watching your site's videos. I have actually learned to bind off and continental knit and purl more efficiently. Thank you!

Shandeh
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome, new KHers! :hug:

I know how to cast on, to knit, and to purl. Somehow it seems that it is never as good as it should be. Can you help me? THANK YOU in advance.:knitting:
I think the best thing to do is to watch the videos on our site, that show the correct way to knit. It's how I learned. Just sit in front of your computer with yarn and needles, and watch the videos over and over again.

I don't know a lot of knitters and most of my friends think of it as a "Grandmotherish" activity.
I think they say that because they are jealous. They are just trouble makers....ignore them. :teehee:

I was looking for a slipper pattern, my SO has a pair and I can't figure them out by looking at them......I could try to post a pic at a later date if I need to but, just got the camera and am not sure how to do that.
A photo would be great! And you might want to post your request in the "Pattern Central" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

slhagen
01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi, I'm Sharon, I learned to knit when my now grown kids were little. I gave up knitting for a number of years, except to teach one Grand daughter how. Just returned to it like a mad woman. about 3 or 4 years ago. I love all the new yarns and needles, and of course knitting bags. I don't knit very fast any more, but I think I love it more. I belong to a knitting Guild and although I am so much older they all of them, I feel welcomed by them. I hope you will welcome me also.
Sharon

SparkleGirl7
01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
:hug: Hello! I just joined a couple hours ago. I've been viewing the videos which are very helpful. I'm just starting out and havn't made anything yet. But I'm alot closer to learning now that I've come here, so:)

dustinac
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
:happydance: Welcome to KH everyone!!! :happydance:

get_her_donne
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I've already posted a few things but I haven't introduced myself yet, so...

I'm Maria! and I'm a junor in highschool and I recently started knitting regularly, but I've known how since I was like 10. I'd love to do it allllll the time, but there's always schoolwork to get in the way...arg :verysad:

My finished projects consist of many scarves -some of which are exhibited in the avatar =) - and a dishcloth

Anyways, I'm glad to have found this site and forum! :mrgreen:

tiedyedbeth
01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi! I joined originally last year sometime. Maybe it was the summer before? I don't remember when nor the user name I'd had. I'd taught myself to knit a garter stitch, made a washcloth, then didn't really do anything else for quite awhile.

I picked it back up again around Thanksgiving, figured out purl, and yahoo! I'm off and truly knitting! LOL

Lady-J
01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Hello !
I'm a new member, my name is Debbie. I'm just learning to knit, so I'm sure I'll have questions. I've done a little crochet years ago and have always wanted to learn knitting. I stumbled upon this web site, and it looks very interesting and educational.
I'm in Louisville, KY.
I have Smooth Fox Terriers and show in AKC dog shows.
I need to learn to knit a doggie sweater !! :)

bookkid
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Great Site!!! I found it when I was randomly googleing knitting. I have been knitting for about a two years and absolutely love it!!! I'm hoping to start doing more complicated things and I'll probably be on here a TON!!

Mara H
01-16-2008, 11:36 PM
I have no idea how to use this forum and I cannot figure out where there are clear instructions for posting a question. Is it possible to get some clear instructions sent to me?
Thank you
Mara

Ingrid
01-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I have no idea how to use this forum and I cannot figure out where there are clear instructions for posting a question. Is it possible to get some clear instructions sent to me?
Thank you
Mara

Welcome to the forum--once you get the hang of it, I hope you stop by often.

Click on the How To Thread, scroll down and click on New Thread.
A screen will pop up with a place for your title and question. Ask whatever you want, then click on Submit New Thread that's underneath and you'll be on your way!

lwellie
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi,
I'm Laurie, "lwellie", and I've been here awhile, but never formally introduced myself.
Been knitting all my long life sporadically. Now that I'm retiring from my day job, I hope to have time to learn to do things right!
Have a DH, three grown DD and 7 DGC. And two "bad" kitties--Butch & Sundance---who are great knitters in their own right--at least they think they are.
We live in NW Pa--birthplace of the oil industry and the zipper!
This site is wonderul--it's wonderful to know expert help is at my fingertips.
Now, I must go to "how to" and ask another question.
TTYL
Laurie

Shandeh
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
We live in NW Pa--birthplace of the oil industry and the zipper!
Welcome Laurie! You made me giggle with that comment. :teehee:

joan adis
01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi, someone i think a man, had a childs poncho pattern looked real easy, but now i have both sides done, and i don't understand how to put it together. he said join like an L then fold, i don't get it. does anyone else have an easy poncho for a little girl. thanks Joan :cheering:

Cate
01-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I am happy to have found the site! As I am a self taught knitter, I will have many questions and hope to find the answers here and I thank you in advance for the help I know I will find.

Shandeh
01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi, someone i think a man, had a childs poncho pattern looked real easy, but now i have both sides done, and i don't understand how to put it together. he said join like an L then fold, i don't get it. does anyone else have an easy poncho for a little girl. thanks Joan
I think the pattern you are referring to is the Baby/Toddler Poncho. Here is the discussion in the forum about the pattern: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28554

Amy did a video, that shows how to put the poncho together.
Here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

princesskellymaggie
01-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hi, my name is Maggie and I live in Australia.Just found this site and from the look of it,it is going to help me with my knitting.

Bye for now,
Maggie

brokendreams
01-18-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm Lucky, but unfortunately not so much in love lately -_- I took up knitting only a couple of months ago and with no new teacher to replace my last, my progress is moving slowly, but surely. I'll be 18 in March and live in the St. Louis area.
-BrokenDreams

elovestea
01-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Hello, happy to have found this group, started knitting 3 years ago making scarves and hats. At this time I'm working on socks, having a diffucult time with gusset area. I live in Mount Vernon WA, nice shops here.:waving:

joan adis
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I want to thank you for the help of finding the video and the information on the childrens poncho. i am still trying to navigate this site, and learn where everything is. I am learning, and making preemie hats for babies at my church. trying easy pattern, unless anyone has another. thanks Joan:knitting:

Zandersmom
01-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi
My name is Suzanne, and I actually found this site off of a pattern I am using. Haven't been around the site in that much detail, but it looks great. Sounds like there is lots of help here. If I ever decide to get brave and do a real hard project, might need some serious help. I stick to easy things like socks, baby stuff, fingerless mitts, that kind of stuff. Would love to do a sweater, but not sure if my finishing and gauge skills are the best yet. Thanks for listening.

knittingymnast
01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Me too. I found this site off a pattern I wanted to knit up. But, I didn't. I am a dedicated gymnast that lives in the US. (No more, change the topic. :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: Just kidding.)

Shandeh
01-19-2008, 12:37 AM
At this time I'm working on socks, having a diffucult time with gusset area.
I bet that Silver's Sock Tutorial will help you!
Top Down - Socks on 4 dpns (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)
Toe Up - Socks on 2 circulars (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm)

I want to thank you for the help of finding the video and the information on the childrens poncho.
You're welcome, Joan! :)

If you ever have any more questions, post them in the "How To" section of the forum, and you'll get lots of help! :thumbsup: