PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Sergeant Fuzz McKNITzter
01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
How wonderful this site is! I am an intermediate knitter and totally obsessed with all my projects. I love surfing the internet for places that understand my obsessions. A big :muah: to you!!! It looks like this place is catching on.... I will visit frequently :knitting:

Michelle

http://sergeantfuzzmckitzter.blogspot.com/

joan adis
01-19-2008, 09:41 AM
:knitting: :yay: Welcome Suzanne, so glad you found this site. i am knew here also. i would love tp knit socks, but i am so afraid they are to hard. if you or anyone has pattern an easy one for adult socks, please let me know, Thanks Joan

kimmypooh
01-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I just started knitting last week and I would be having allot more problems without this site! I love it. And everyone is so friendly! I also am new to my city so I don't know anyone, so it is nice to be able to ask others for help and guidance.

texas1107`
01-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I am a 39 year old mother of 2 boys, {20}{22}, married 23 years next month.
I have never knitted before in my life, but, have always saw the beauty in the art. I am now to a point in my life where I think I can try this out. Love the instruction videos!! I watched some on a popular video site and it nearly scared me off. Thanks to you guys, I'm really excited to get started!!:woot:

Swamplily
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi all!

I'm Lily from south Louisiana. I'm 37 and mom of 5 year old boy/girl twins. DH is an engineer and we also own a Sign and Graphics company that I manage from home. I've been crocheting for somewhere around 30 years, but only knitting for about 1. I always wanted to learn but couldn't find lessons here so I bought a copy of Stitch and Bitch and got going. Still always learning and I was thrilled to find Knitting Help, the videos are wonderful. I'm teaching myself intarsia at the moment and the videos are a great help especially since I'm trying the Continental method so I can hold the yarn in both hands as Elizabeth Zimmerman suggests.

I just got my Ravelry invite also and WOW! That's a fabulous community also.

Glad to be here and I've learned so much already just browsing all the posts.

Lily

knitttina
01-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the site. I want to learn but don't know anyone who know how. This site is a big help.

Shandeh
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Welcome, new KHers! :)
i would love tp knit socks, but i am so afraid they are to hard. if you or anyone has pattern an easy one for adult socks, please let me know
Everyone thinks that socks are hard....until they make their first one. Then, you learn that it's not hard at all!!

I would recommend making your first socks with worsted or DK yarn. By the way, if you're looking for patterns in the future, post your request in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section of the forum.

Here are a couple easy sock patterns:
Tiny Socks - http://cidermoon.com/cm0126.html (http://cidermoon.com/cm0126.html)
Those tiny socks are PERFECT for learning the basics of sock construction quickly. The little socks can be used as a keychain or gift decoration.

Campfire Socks - http://cidermoon.com/cm0120.html (http://cidermoon.com/cm0120.html)
These socks are so nice when they are finished, and the instructions are clear and concise.

I do need help with a stitch I want to use for a scarf. The site calls it the elongated stitch. The yarn is wrapped 3 or 4 times on the needle before being pulled through. The problem is one side has this lovely straight long thread, but the other has an elongated chain looking thread. How do I get the rid of the chain?
Hi Julie! I'll move your question to the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of our forum, so you'll get the help you need. :)

glojax
01-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I found this site while surfing the net looking for knitting info. Thought it was the best site ever. Everyone seems so friendly & warm. Hope to learn alot about everything from y'all.:knitting: :muah:

jheenie
01-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi.. i just stumbled upon this site while i was googling for help with a few techniques. I'm just a beginner... having only knit simple mufflers (no increase/ decrease/ shaping required in those) and now gradually wanting to start on something more...:knitting: there's so much to knit... i get so tempted looking at the sheer variety, that i want to knit everything at once :) your site seems great...thanks for putting it up...:muah:

Schwartz
01-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I am a senior living in Maryland born in New York City.I knitted from the time I was ten.Many boyfriend sweaters, socks etc.
When I started in Advertising and after ten yrs. was sent to Puerto Rico.I lived there for forty yrs. No chance to knit much but I did find an american with a yarn shop in her home.So, it was a "Knit & Bitch"club long before the book was written.Then Walmart etc. came to town,computers. Help at last.
Now, I am retired living independently in an apt. near my daughter and grandchildren.I belong to a Knitter's Club here and have joined all internet websites and buy from the internet.
I am sure I will learn many new things and pointers from all of you.
I am completely bilingual in Spanish(great knitters in Spanish and Peru,Chile etc) so Saludos and Happy to be with you.

nykoto
01-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi all! I am a former MIA knitter. Thanks for reminding me that I have been gone so many times. I was on when I had a job that required only phone answering. Now, new baby, college degree, elementary teacher, new dh. So, baby able to entertain self for a few watched over minutes. I might be able to get some knitting done without worrying about kneedles. LOL

Puddiwop
01-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Hello Everyone;
I wanted to take this time to thank you for such a great site. I started crocheting about 2 monthes ago because, that is what I already knew how to do. So about a month ago I decided to get into knitting. My mom had taught me when I was a young girl. (That was quite some time ago:aww: ) But I only knew 1 basic stitch. I always wanted to know how to at least do a perl stitch. Since I decided, I have bought 3 books to teach me how. Needless to say, there was no success with that.:?? . I was going to join a class at the local craft store but, with my work schedule, that wasn't going to happen either. I happen to stumble upon this site lask week at work and could not believe what I found.:yay: I have learned to do a perl stitch and a couple of other stitches by watching your demos:woot: I'm going to make something since i'll be having a long weekend.
Again Thanks and I look forward to talking to you all

spalmer16
01-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I am new to the Knitting Forum. I'm addicted to knitting socks. I've made dozens for friends, and am just now making them for myself. Any sock knitters out there?

suzeeq
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi there! Yes, there are many sockknitters here (though I'm not one of them). Just cruise through the forums and you'll find quite a few threads on socks.

karenkgk
01-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi there. I'm a relatively new knitter and today I've had a brain meltdown....I put my project down in the middle of the row and cannot remember whether I am knitting or purling.. I knit/purl the Continental method so my yarn is always coming from my left hand....I know which side is which also...but I'm just confused. I have a little cold today so maybe that's it....but wanted to work on this wrap for one of my twin daughters (while I had this down time from my sniffle) - who is shivering in college in Cincinatti! I finished the first one for my other daughter last week....and you know 'fair is fair' when it comes to twins!

Can someone please, please help me....Thanks a bunch.....Phlustered in Phoenix!

sandimac
01-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Amy,

I just registered and can't figure out how to get on the introduce yourself thread and say HI!! YOur site looks great and as a new knitter it could really help if I knew how to use the site. I am on dial-up so things go slow. Can you direct me? Thank you!!

I'm having the same problem, this, I'm sure will a fun and helpful site, if I can figure it out.

suzeeq
01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi there. I'm a relatively new knitter and today I've had a brain meltdown....I put my project down in the middle of the row and cannot remember whether I am knitting or purling.. I knit/purl the Continental method so my yarn is always coming from my left hand....I know which side is which also...but I'm just confused. I have a little cold today so maybe that's it....but wanted to work on this wrap for one of my twin daughters (while I had this down time from my sniffle) - who is shivering in college in Cincinatti! I finished the first one for my other daughter last week....and you know 'fair is fair' when it comes to twins!

Can someone please, please help me....Thanks a bunch.....Phlustered in Phoenix!

Hi Karen. You can ask questions like this in General Knitting or How To, but I'll answer here anyway. Doesn't matter which hand the yarn is held in; in the middle of a row or when knitting in the round, the yarn will be on the right needle. At the end of a row, the yarn comes off the left needle, then when you start the row, the new stitches and the yarn will be on the right needle.

sandimac
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi, I'm Sandi from Virginia. Haven't been knitting very long. But I sure am enjoying it. Glad to find this website!!

knitter819
01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi there, I am new. Just wanted to say this looks like an awesome site. I am just a beginner, so I bet I can get a lot of tips from all the friendly people here:grphug:

jul1511
01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Everyone. I'm a newbe to knitting and computers! I knitted dishcloths years ago but now really would like to move up to sweaters.shawls,etc. I'm trying to knit a shawl from one of Knitting Help free patterns. I'm using Bernat Cashmere Natural Blend Yarn. I'm supposed to use a bigger knitting needles but I have trouble keeping all sts on those needles so I use smaller ones. Don't know yet how it will look. I have alot to learn. Happy to become a part of this friendly bunch.
Talk to you all later. Linda.

suzeeq
01-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi there everyone!

Linda, how do you mean you have trouble keeping the stitches on the larger needles? Can you explain a little more?

Shandeh
01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm supposed to use a bigger knitting needles but I have trouble keeping all sts on those needles so I use smaller ones.
Are you referring to straight needles? If your project is wide, it would be easier to knit it on a long circular needle, and knit it with the two attached needles. Just flip the entire project around at the end of each row.

rjustnes
01-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi all,

I only wish I had found this site years ago. I've been struggling to teach myself to knit and have given up soooo many times. I am an avid crocheter (please don't stone me :teehee: ) but feel so limited in the amount of patterns I can do and there are so many BEAUTIFUL knitting stitches and patterns.

Anyhow, where do I begin? The videos are very helpful, but all my stitches keep flying off the needles. How do I keep them in place? Is there such a thing as knitting needles with crochet hooks on the end?

I feel so out of my element and LOST! I always thought of myself as a fairly intelligent person, but I pick up knitting needles and am instantly humbled and feel like a COMPLETE moron.

Any suggestions as to a yarn type that will stay on my needles better?

Thanks,
Becky

Shandeh
01-20-2008, 11:58 PM
The videos are very helpful, but all my stitches keep flying off the needles. How do I keep them in place?
Any suggestions as to a yarn type that will stay on my needles better?
Hi Becky. :waving:

Don't give up hope. It sounds like you just have an issue with tension. Right now, you are a loose knitter, I bet. Or, you're using slippery needles with slippery yarn.

Try different yarns with different types of knitting needles, and you'll see what I mean. For me, some yarns work better with wooden needles, because it "grips" the yarn better than aluminum. Plastic needles grip the yarn sometimes too. There are different types of wooden needles - bamboo, rosewood, etc. There are also different types of plastic needles and aluminum needles. There are even GLASS needles! :teehee:

I think it's easier for a beginning knitter to use aluminum needles with worsted weight acrylic yarn, because it flows well. But, everyone is different, and everyone has their own opinion of what is easier to use.

So, try again, and have fun with all the different gadgets and yarns you'll find in the knitting world. It's an adventure! :woohoo:

Joannie
01-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Hello. My name is Joanne and I'm a beginner with plenty of questions so am grateful for this site and the terrific videos. Thank you.

andrewh1201
01-21-2008, 01:00 AM
I just found KH a few days ago and after reading some of the forum topics I figured I would join and perhaps participate. I am also a guy knitter in my early 20s.

So yeah.... Hello (again).

twistedx0xangel13
01-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Heather. I'm 28 years old and live in upstate NY with my boyfriend, our son, and two cats.

I'm new here and very new to knitting. I bought a beginners kit and some yarn. I know absolutely nothing about knitting, but I really, really want to learn. I'm hoping it's not going to be frustrating for me and it becomes a new hobby. :)

dustinac
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
:happydance: Welcome everyone!! :happydance:

Nikkilc
01-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi i am Nikki
I live in England and i am a returning knitter. When my children were very small i used to knit loads Jean Greenhowe patterns including a Cinderella topsy turnabout doll. Sadly lost the pattern hope it might be in a closet somewhere.
Have started planning and knitting a large bed blanket for my daughter.

This is a great site and am learning loads and i am already reading Silver's sock help site as its something i wanted to learn to do. I have my name down for ravelry 2300 in front of me and falling :happydance:

blueheron
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi, everybody. I've just started knitting again. When I first learned to knit, I made argyle socks for my husband! Using tiny needles! After that, knitting anything else was a piece of cake. (Well, sort of.)

Our church has a knitting group that knits baby and children's garments for a local women's shelter and lap robes for a local retirement home and items for a VA hospital.

We meet once a week and on Sundays between services. I'm enjoying knitting again and I like the fact that I'm doing something useful while watching television.

gaylea
01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself before I start asking too many questions. I am a nana of 3 great little grands ages 11, 10 and 9. Two girls and a boy. I have been knitting scarves for several years, but always take the chicken way out by using only one color fantastic yarn. Now I want to knit one in black and gold for my husband's college colors and I can't figure out how to alternate the rows. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

HolyCrapLiz
01-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Awesome site. Thank you so much!

starlighthawaii
01-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi! I thought I should introduce myself! I'm Chanda, mama to 2 boys, living in Hawaii. I stumbled upon the site when searching for instx for bar increases. Found the video help; it saved the day!!! I've been knitting for 2 years now; mostly baby stuff (and shawls!) - just finished a baby sweater. Finally going out on a limb and knitting stuff for myself. Aloha!:knitting:

OHmom
01-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I am Angie, a newbie knitter but already addicted! I started knitting over Christmas and have found it to be very relaxing. This site is great, love the video tutorials. :waving:

Beaknit
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I just found this site and registered yesterday. This is my first time actually on a forum page. I haven't even had time to read any of the posts. I am really looking forward to it. I have knit for more many years and love to continually explore and learn new things. I live in North Dakota (knitted items are more than a luxury here, they are essential). My children are grown and live out of state, so it is just me, the loving husband, and the dogs. Never enough time to knit, is there ever!

That's all for now.

Beaknit

Wildfire
01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Hello everyone! I've been visiting this site for at least a year now and have been knitting for over a year. I have been crocheting since I was about 16 and I thought that since I've been visiting this site for so long that it was about time that I actually introduce myself.

So far, since teaching myself how to knit, I've made several baby socks - one Super Mario Sweater for a 2 yr. old - and several several scarves. I am currently working on a sweater for my fiance and a pair of socks for him as well. I have been blogging for some time, but I haven't made a knitting blog which I would love to do. I look forward to interacting with several of you as I love seeing what others are working on and just plain seeing awsome creativity at work. You guys rock! By the way, this site helped me to learn more about knitting than any of those so-called specific teaching books ever did.

Jeremy
01-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Welcome to all the newcomers.:hug:

winblown
01-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi all,
I am very new to knitting (thanks to this site) and of course have questions. I have read through several posts and see what nice helpfull people you all are.

I am a stay at home mom of two boys 12 and 9. I learned to knit just after the new year (so ummm 3 weeks ago lol) and completed a scarf for my husband (it has holes and increases and decreases that I have NO idea how they got there, but hey, once its on no one can tell LOL :blush: )
This scarf was practice for a baby blanket I want to make for my sisters first baby which is causing me angst...the blanket that is, not the baby. I look forward to getting to know you...

Spice
01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I am a relatively new knitter. I've been knitting since 10/2007. Knitting has replaced playing World of Warcraft as my relaxation. I still play but knitting is much more productive...when it goes right. :).

I live in Atlanta, Georgia and enjoy other creative outlets including altered books, collage, and mixed media artwork. I also sew. What I don't have is enough hours in the day to work, be a mom, and play. Oh well.

Spice

Shandeh
01-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Welcome new KHers! :hug:

Now I want to knit one in black and gold for my husband's college colors and I can't figure out how to alternate the rows. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Here is a page that describes how to knit stripes of different colors. Good luck!
http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingskills/p/stripes.htm

CalicoSkies
01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi all! I am new to Knitting This is autually my second attempt to learn. Your forumn seems like quite a cosy little place full of all kinds of great info.

DeeJay
01-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi there, I've been visiting this site for around a week
I was semi-taught to knit as a child by my grandmother, again when I was around 22, again 2 years ago and just picked it up again. Hopefully now my life has settled down, I can really stay with it.
A bit about me: I'm born and raised in New Zealand but now living in Amsterdam. I've yet to find a LYS but if there isn't one near me, then I'll have to hope there's one in the central city.

Anyway, off to go read some more ;)

janetrdam
01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Janet from Rotterdam, in the Netherlands. I'm married with three kids, aged 14, 11 and 10. My British mum taught me to knit when I was in a child in England, and I've been knitting on and off ever since then.

My kids still like to wear the things I knit for them, and so at the moment I'm knitting regularly for them, and myself. I like designing my own patterns completely from scratch, using charts or knitters' graph paper. Sometimes I use English, German, Dutch or French printed patterns as a starting point though.

Knitting's a pretty solitary pursuit here, unless you're retired and live in an old folks' home - I'm not and I don't - which is why I thought it would be nice to join your forum.

susan50
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Everyone, I joined today and already find this forum so amazing. I have only be knitting for a little while, just know how to knit and purl right now but I want to learn alot more so I can knit those beautiful sweaters.

Again Thanks
Susan:muah:

Knittingoma
01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
What a great site....Ihave only just found it. I live in Scotland but the internet sure makes the world a much smaller place. Looking forward to posting my questions...although I think some of the American and European terms in knitting are different from the UK ones but it will be interesting.

Knittingoma
01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Hello everyone. I'm Janet from Rotterdam, in the Netherlands. I'm married with three kids, aged 14, 11 and 10. My British mum taught me to knit when I was in a child in England, and I've been knitting on and off ever since then.

My kids still like to wear the things I knit for them, and so at the moment I'm knitting regularly for them, and myself. I like designing my own patterns completely from scratch, using charts or knitters' graph paper. Sometimes I use English, German, Dutch or French printed patterns as a starting point though.

Knitting's a pretty solitary pursuit here, unless you're retired and live in an old folks' home - I'm not and I don't - which is why I thought it would be nice to join your forum.

I was interested to see that you come from the Netherlands...My son lives in Amstelveen with his Polish wife and little daughter and I visit there usually about every six weeks. I just love the country and the beauty of the waterways and the 'flatness' as I live in a very hilly town in Scotland and it has limite my love of walking. Whereas in the Netherlands I can walk to my heart's content. Ihave only just found this site and think it is wonderful and I am looking forward to making some new friends from different parts of the world who enjoy their knitting as much as I do.

Knittingoma
01-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi there, I've been visiting this site for around a week
I was semi-taught to knit as a child by my grandmother, again when I was around 22, again 2 years ago and just picked it up again. Hopefully now my life has settled down, I can really stay with it.
A bit about me: I'm born and raised in New Zealand but now living in Amsterdam. I've yet to find a LYS but if there isn't one near me, then I'll have to hope there's one in the central city.

Anyway, off to go read some more ;)

Hi DeeJay...check and see if the yarn shop is still in Amsterdam....at Oude Leliestraat Centrum...I haven't been for a while so it may have gone now but it used to be a good yarn store. I posted above to Janet before I saw your post from the Netherlands. I have also a couple of good online stores here in the UK who post out orders for a small charge. I use them most of the time as we don't have as many good yarn stores as we used to here in my area of west coast Scotland. Good luck in your search.

ArtLady1981
01-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Welcome One and All! :muah:

So nice to meet you! We look forward to your friendship! Don't hesitate to post your new projects in our Whatcha Knitting section, no matter how big or small the project is!

We love getting inspired by other's FO's! (Finished Objects! :teehee:)

auntcrafty
01-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I am relatively new to knitting and am very excited to find KH! Love the videos and have learned a lot from them already. Trying to figure the different aspects of knitting through my grandmother's favorite book wasn't working.

Thank you for this wonderful site & opportunity to meet other knitters.

kpm
01-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi all - I am a fairly new knitter and have looked on this site more than once! I'm beginning a pair of mittens for my son (having made all other acoutre.. and avoiding mittens), but I already know, and am still realizing, I do not like working with dp needles - they are always in the way! I'd like to make socks and mittens, but dp's and picking up stitches (which I've never done) are a wee bit frightening!
K

eddyzmom
01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I am so happy to find this site! I learned to knit years ago...but never really perfected it. I recently started knitting socks and I am hooked!
Thank you for letting me join and I am looking forward to getting to know you and to learn!
Hugs and Happy Knitting,
Eddyzmom (aka - Nance)

cacunn
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Hello my name is Chris, I'm one oof those male knitters. I first learned to knit years ago, but in the 50's a boy did not knit so I did not go far. About a year ago I started wearing kilts. I enjoy the comfort of a kilt but ran into a problem. My calves are to big for the average kilt hose (knee high socks) after about an hour I had to take them off. I had my mothers old knitting machine and tried some flat socks on it. Not bad not good. Got a ebay machine with a ribber, socks got better. The big problem was that it was hard to take the machine with me to WalMart. I would go shopping with my wife, finish in 15 minutes and have an hour to kill waiting for her. I decided to go "back" to hand knitting, it could go with me.

I tried DP first, to many things going on and enough ladders to start a construction company. Moved to circular needles and things came together. I have since found out about Addi's 12 circular needles and am in love.

I haven't finished a (one) hand knit sock yet. Get to where I have learned one thing and them rip it out to try something else. Often I find as much fun in the learning as in the completion.

I read one thread about interchangeable needles and the problem with the stiff cable with the Boye needles. I got a set on special at JoAnn fabrics. Got them home and hated the stiff cbles. I had some plastic tubing (like fish tank air line - only smaller) that was about the size of the cable. I cut one of the cables apart and replace it with the plastic tubing. It seems to be working great. You might look at you local hobby shop for small diameter plastic tubing to replace the Boye cables.

After that long ramble a question. I have heard of someone knitting the tops of kilt hose sideways. This will allow for knit cables to go around the tops of the hose. Does anyone know where on the web I can find information on this techniques?

Thanks for all the help I have gotten so far.

davidssgal
01-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to say what an AMAZING website.
I started knitting in the spring and I absolutely love it. But since I am a beginner I have alot of questions that can't always be answered by looking in a book. Thank you thank you thank you for the videos!!
nancyg :D
Hello. This is my first attempt at this forum.I loved reading what Ya'll write about.Especially the ones from New Zeeland+ the Netherlands.I live in Louisiana,USA. Iam a begginer knitter. Now that I have a grand child to knit for I wish to become a more advanced knitter but I become frustrated with patterns that have errors.Any help will be apprecieated.Davidssgal

masha
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello All,
I'm Masha, originally from Canada but currently spending a year in Israel and India! Before leaving Canada, I took a beginner's course at my local knitting store. Now that I've arrived in Israel, I've been practicing and trying more complicated/scary things (just finished a pair of mittens for my one year old nephew!! complete with I-cord!!!) I'm about to start on my first sweater and after re-reading the pattern, realized that I have no idea where to begin (how many stitches do I cast on?!!!)!!! So, here I am! Thanks in advance for any advice/support/suggestions!

sonflowerjoela
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Hello Everyone
I'm new to forum. It looks great! I'm from Atoka, TN. I've been knitting a long time, but only dishcloths. I'm ready to learn new stuff now. Socks, sweaters and cable stitch :inlove: I've made several simple scarfs, a couple of baby blankets, a purse with fun fur. I'm taking a class on socks at a lks next month. I'm so excited. :woohoo:
TTYL, Joela

Shandeh
01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I have heard of someone knitting the tops of kilt hose sideways. This will allow for knit cables to go around the tops of the hose. Does anyone know where on the web I can find information on this techniques?
Here's a book I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Designs-Knitting-Kilt-Veronica-Gainford/dp/0942018079

Here's an online forum I found for kilt knitters:
http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/?q=node/3942

A free pattern I found:
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/socks/john-anderson.htm

Another pattern:
http://www.dimbleby.net/knitting/mypatt/socks1/socks1.html

One more:
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/sockskilt.htm

And still another:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtoirneach.html

And that's the extent of my knowledge about knitting kilts. :teehee:

Wish I knew how to answer your question, but I don't.

You might want to post your request in the section of our forum called "Pattern Central" or "How To". Good luck!

cacunn
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
thanks for the sites - I read tonight! I'll post at pattern central this evening and see what they say. I've seen patterns where you continue in the round bottom-up or top-down, direction of your choice, and knit the cable sideways, but what I saw was someone who knit the hose toe up, came to the cuff and turned the needles 90 degrees to knit the cables. I'll post at pattern central and see what they have to say.

Thanks again.

chadago
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi, I just learned the basics of knitting last night using just this website. I am currently making newborn mittens for my son (our first child)who is to be born in March. I am a 24 year old man. So, so far the only people who know that I knit and love it, are my wife and this forum. When friends come over I put the yarn and needles by my wife. I picked a strange time in my life to pick up a new hobby. I am working two jobs and going to school and my wife is 8 months pregnant plus I am also currently teaching myself guitar and how to program. Not to mention being active in my church and moderating my son's website ( http://cohen.bounceme.net ). Well anyways I hope I am not the only young guy who is perfectly normal and generally masculine but simply finds knitting to be relaxing and enjoyable.

erikalee
01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Having a crazy busy chaotic life is the perfect time to pick up knitting. You said it yourself, it's relaxing and enjoyable. I think we all find it a fantastic way to wind down.

I think it's great you're breaking the bonds of gender roles and just doing something you ejnoy although I have to say... I don't think I've ever met a "Closet Knitter". lol

Vixalin
01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi
I joined this site a while back and never did anything more. thought it was time I said Hi everyone.
I have been knitting for many years now and have maybe 10 yrs or so ago found my niche in sweaters, sock and the like.
I truly enjoy knitting, I can't watch tv without my needles in hand, I take my project with me every where. It is my refuge from a busy life and sometimes just plain stress and daily ware.
Any how, I am glad to be a member here and look forward to being helpful if I can and helped when needed. And I love to chit chat hehe.

sarajay44
01-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi. I'm retired and live in Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK. I am a long time knitter, but haven't had much time over the last couple of years. Now with 2 small grandsons, I'm getting back into it!! Introduced to this site by my daughter, as I'd neglected to teach her how to purl when she was little, and she learnt it here! Looking forward to browsing the site, and I will teach myself to cast on by the thumb method, which I've never been able to do, but am told it's a lot better finish. Well, that's me - let's get browsing! ;)

Shetlandspinner
01-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Hello from very cold Wisconsin!

I wanted to introduce myself and thank you for the wonderful forum for all of us fiber nuts.

My husband and I own a small sheep farm in central Wisconsin. I say own but I do think the sheep actually own us most of the time. Working with Shetland and Wensleydale sheep, we have been developing a line of ultra-fine fleeces over the past several years.

I have been spinning and working fiber-craft since three years old, although most of my past 30plus years I have been kept much too busy as a midwife to do much but keep an occasional project on the needles. Retired now, I run the farm while my DH works to keep the fantasy of "farm" marginally in the black, lol.

This long, extraordinarily cold, winter has given me time to spend putting many projects on needles and I found your website as I tested old and new skills through my grand-children's "can you make this for me Ema?" wish-list. Over the past three months I have found myself back on this site so many times that I finally realized it was time to join; just in time to need help that was immediately given and gratefully received.

I look forward to time well-spent with your wonderful group of contributors! What a beautifully put together web-site and forum.

Cynthia
www.finer-fleeces.com

sashak2p2
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to say hello. I have visited the site many times before (am still trying to learn intarsia from the video) and just registered. Can't wait to see what all awaits me in the message boards.

I live in WV and have been knitting for about 3 years. I have started a knitting group at the Christian school I work at and several of the kids have started knitting as well as the teachers. I don't know what I would do without my knitting. I remember to take it to work and will forget my lunch!

Happy Knitting,
Sonja

Shandeh
01-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :muah:

terriermom
01-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi Everyone!

I've been knitting for a while but I want to expand my knitting experiences and go for the more advanced patterns. This looks like a great place to get the help I will need!!!

Kathy in Pasadena, CA

Starstryder
01-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Hello all :)

I have now been knitting for about two months and am truly loving it! I love looking for fun patterns and so far there is no end in sight :woot: I used to think knitting is old fuddy duddy stuff but wow glad to know I was so very wrong. I have so many things I want to knit I'm not sure if I'll ever even get to it all!

dragua
01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi, my name is Sarah, I go by Dragua which means dragon. I'm just learning to knit, I've done two washcloths. And I have questions...of course. I know knit and purl...that's it. I cast on by wrapping the yarn around my thumb from front to back, then put the needle through. However when I go to knit my first row, I end up with gaps between the needles...depending on how many stitches I stitch on, the gap gets bigger. Is that just how my version of casting on works? After the first row, it's normal. And I have NO CLUE how to do any other kind of casting on. Because I have a slow connection, I'd be forced to buy the CD-ROM which I (as a poor college student) don't have the money for. The only way I'm able to knit is my Mom is buying the 100% cotton yarn for me to knit washcloths with. Since I'm beginning, that's all I know how to do yet. Also, when I purl, I see two beautiful rows of purl, then it looks like I knitted, then purled again. I think that is because my Mom taught me to flip the needle into the other hand...that's wrong isn't it?? All the people I've known to knit just go back and forth without flipping their work from one side to the other so that the needle that I'm taking the yarn from always is in my left hand. It's an ambidexterious craft, right? TIA

happyfrog
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
i have just picked up knitting needles for the first time.

i think i can do the knit stitch now and i'm wroking on the purl stitch. it's not real easy for me at this time, but i'm plugging along.

my goal is to be able to make longies for my kids and be able to understand all these wacky abbrevs in patterns and be able to do all they say. . .

i think i knit too loose or something though. it's real lacy looking whatever it is i'm doing. lol

bettyann

chrysia
01-26-2008, 08:01 AM
im very glad because i found this site. i realy wanted to learn knitting and the video here makes my dream come true.
thank u very much and more power

OldGreenMare
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi! My name is Karen, and I have been trying to become a knitter for a few years. I finally started to get the hang of it with the Klutz book, and now I have a variety of books, circular needles, dpns, etc. I have made a scarf, a few hats, one mitten, half a baby blanket, and a small sweater for my son's stuffed monkey. But I feel that if I could knit a sweater, I would really be a knitter at last! So armed with Ann Budd's Book of Sweater Patterns, I recently started on a seamless raglan for my 8-year-old son, who promised me he would wear anything I made him, no matter how ugly it was. I knitted up to the armpits, and then I made two sleeves, and then I tried to join them...ugh! It didn't seem right; the sleeve areas were very tight and hard to knit, but I did a few rounds...only to find that the new rounds were inside out. The one thing I have definitely NOT mastered is fixing mistakes, so I ended up throwing everything in a cupboard, and starting on a drop-shoulder sweater instead. I just unraveled one of my seamless sleeves for the yarn (sniff sniff).

Anyway, I look forward to maybe getting some help from all the nice folks here as I forge ahead with my Ugly Sweater, and with any luck it will be done before warm weather is here. I am 40 years old, and live in WV with my dh and two sons, ages 12 and 8. Thanks for having me!

flit
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
I never had a forum admin contact me to say they have missed me before! Thanks for the email and I will try to visit more often. Don't know that I ever introduced myself; I live in the Texas hill country and am currently making EZ's dairy queen hat. Love knitting--no, more than that, addicted to knitting. I have profited from the videos often and like to learn from others.
flit

dustinac
01-26-2008, 11:55 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH everyone!!:woot:

craftyretrogurl
01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
hi there.... i want to add my thanks to this site.... i had a co-worker teach me the basics, but i found that when i got home & tried on my own, my brain just couldn't remember! so.... a little internet poking, and here we are! this site is FANTASTIC and has helped me with numerous questions....

thank you soooo much for having a wonderful resource!

hugs,
alex

outdoordrea
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I love this site and am so happy to have found it. I'm a new knitter (under a month) and have benefitted from the videos the most. I've found every answer I've been looking for on this site (in regards to stitches). I do so appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

teachliz
01-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi! I am Liz from Michigan/Alabama. This year when I left for Alabama I decided to again bring my knitting. I have had one project tucked into a bag for 25 years. A friend asked to see it and encouraged me to finish it! It iwas a Irish sweater for my teenager who is now an attorney, married, and a mother of three. I have finished the second front of the cardigan (the back and one side were completed 25 years ago. I have two skeins of aran left...probably not enough to finish. The yarn is an acrylic worsted.

I have gone to a few shops to find a match with not too much luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe this far along I should tell you that the yarn does not have a label. So........Help! I agree, this is a great site! Thanks

jenhintz
01-27-2008, 02:46 AM
I ran across knittinghelp.com by way of a pattern link on ravelry.com, and I've been absolutely mesmerized since (about 4 hours ago)!

I've been knitting for about 5 years now, and there are still basic techniques I avoided because I'd never figured them out; I didn't have anyone to teach me to knit, just a book, and some things just didn't make sense in text-only. Well, now I do have someone to show me, and I'm blown away. My knitting is going to be astronomically improved thanks to this site and the videos on it.

Thanks so much!!! I only wish I'd found you sooner.
:woohoo:

ellengg
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi I'm Ellen. I live in Rhode Island with my DH, two boys, 17 & 13 and assorted pets. I've been knitting for almost six years and I'm addicted!
Ellen

IceKnit
01-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi there.
Iīm a "beginner" at knitting although Iīve known how to knit since I was young, here in Iceland most young girls (and boys) are tought how to knit. I started knitting for real last year while I was pregnant with my third son. I havenīt managed any big pieces but Iīm gradually getting the confidence to take on bigger challenges :thumbsup:

This site has helped me so much, itīs fantastic to be able to actually watch a video and see how things are done.
I look forward to finally take part in the forums after lurking about for a while :yay:

Tyger251
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi, I'm Tyler from just outside of Providence, RI. I'm having a VERY frustrating Sunday! I'm new to knitting in the round and I have questions. I can't find the "post" or "reply" button on the knitting how-to section of this site. Can anyone help me? I can't spend the whole day feeling like a loser, unable to begin this hat for the ninety-thousandth time! Thanks.

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 10:22 AM
are you using a circ that is too long? check to see how long and post it here

Tyger251
01-27-2008, 10:49 AM
The needles are perfect - But I'm not! I'm trying to knit ribbing
(k2 p2*) in the round. The ribbing is not appearing and I just can't rip it out one more time. I cast on 78 stitiches and joined in the round using the ribbing stitch. I'm being very careful to maintain the k2 p2, but when I get to the last two stitches of the round, I find myself at k2, when the beginning of the round began at k2! Doesn't every round begin the same way to rib in the round?

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
i wouldnt do that. i would just knit stockinette (knit all sts on circs and knit 1 row purl the next on straights) just do some stockinette for about 10-15 hats before you do ribbing. ribbing is just a hassle.

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 11:10 AM
try 80 sts

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
tyler, you wanna knitchat?

texas1107`
01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi, I'm Tyler from just outside of Providence, RI. I'm having a VERY frustrating Sunday! I'm new to knitting in the round and I have questions. I can't find the "post" or "reply" button on the knitting how-to section of this site. Can anyone help me? I can't spend the whole day feeling like a loser, unable to begin this hat for the ninety-thousandth time! Thanks.

Welcome!!
All new threads are on the top left of the list of threads once you enter the forum you want. Just add a title and ask away. You'll love these people. Very helpful and friendly!!

Tyger251
01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Rosalie, I'd LOVE to chat but you wouldn't believe my day. Even as I type I'm panicking about stuff I have to do. I promise another time, OK? - Tyler

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Rosalie, I'd LOVE to chat but you wouldn't believe my day. Even as I type I'm panicking about stuff I have to do. I promise another time, OK? - Tyler

btw, you dont have to have a title for every post you do.

suzeeq
01-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Tyler, for 2x2 ribbing in the round you need a stitch count divisible by 4, so 76 or 80 sts. And the Post reply or reply buttons are in the same place on every board or thread.

crazyaboutknitting
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey, thanks for this awsome website!
I learned most of what I know off it.
I'v only been knitting for 2 years so I don't know that mutch...but the videos help a lot!
thanks,
Mariah

wrenchwench
01-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Hello all,
I am quite glad to have found you. I was sent here by a friend who discovered you and knew I had developed a severe Knitting habit. I have to have something to do with my hands while being still and Knitting gives me an activity to keep the restlessness at bay.

I learned a little over a year ago and this last holiday season everyone got scarves for Christmas. They haven't disowned me yet so I think they liked it.

My mom and grandmother both used to Knit. This means I have been way too lucky and inherited needles and patterns from both of them. Grandma just recently had to stop knitting due to eyesight issues and mom had stopped for many years before I begged her to show me how. I don't which style they use, I will check out the videos and see if I can figure out which it is.
We are now trying to teach it to my 13 yr old son.

Bahochi
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi there everyone!!!! im new to this knitting thing. I went to a class the other nite for the first time, im a middle aged woman and i feel like i have 2 left hands when it comes to this knitting stuff but i am excited about learning how to do it. any suggestions to help me would be greatly appreciated.:?? :??

texas1107`
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Welcome to you all from another total newbie at knitting. This site is the best!! Nice people and will jump right in to help. Watch all the videos. Wonderful wonderful guides!! I learned just from those.

JadeMozingo
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
hello, I just started knitting about a month ago when I went to a class at a local library (meant for children no less) bought some red wool yarn and bamboo needles and started to destroy my yarn by practicing. I think I got it pretty well, but my aim is to make a harry potter scarf (slytherin, actually) But I have no idea on how to begin. If any one can point me a in the right direction it would be awesome. And a question, how much has the Potterverse contributed to the increase in knitters? Seems everyone I know that likes Potter knits now, too bad they all live hundreds of miles away.

Jade

diny0
01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi, I was looking for a website like this a couple of weeks ago. I am not a new knitter but I stick to the basics. I couldn't figure out a stitch pattern but my mom came to the rescue. I still haven't started that project after getting so frustrated. My current passion is knitting socks.
My 12 year old daughter has learned to knit as well. I finally got her working on a project that I think she may finish...fingerless gloves.
Diane

StarStrong
01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi! I just joined.... a little about myself.
I've been knitting since 1985 and can be an experienced knitter (depends on my mood). Recently I've been more into making scarves, ponchos and slippers.

Currently I'm teaching a small group at work how to knit. They are catching on fast. Already made small purses and are working on a purl design scarf.

In my "spare time" I run an International project called The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) (www.rectangle6x9.org) that uses knitted (and crocheted) 6"x9" acrylic rectangles to make handmade afghans for military members wounded in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I also work as a part time farmhand/membership coordinator at an organic style farm. Am a Nature Photographer and spend time with my wonderful husband (who wins lots of points for being so supportive of all my "yarn" projects).

I look forward to seeing many beautiful projects and finding lots of WIM on this forum!!!! Deborah

StarStrong
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I think I got it pretty well, but my aim is to make a harry potter scarf (slytherin, actually) But I have no idea on how to begin. If any one can point me a in the right direction it would be awesome. And a question, how much has the Potterverse contributed to the increase in knitters? Seems everyone I know that likes Potter knits now, too bad they all live hundreds of miles away.

Jade

Jade,
Hi! Which version of the "potter" scarf are you interested in making? There was the original pattern (even stripes) and the one that came out in a later film. I've made both and found the original a bit easier and more useful. Let me know and I'll try and point you to the right pattern.
Welcome to knitting!!! Deborah

Cypher
01-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Just a quick note hello to ya'll.

I'm new, really new to knitting and already feeling overwhelmed. I'll just have to be patient and stick with it.

:frog:

susies
01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi, I just want to introduce myself. I am a beginning knitter, but I LOVE IT! I have lots of questions. Everyone I've met so far in my knitting journey is very nice, so I'm looking forward to getting to know this online community too.

susies
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, so here's my first question. I just took a beginner class in November. I've now knit several hats and a few scarves. I have started two sweater projects. I would like to know how to go about getting help. Is it cool to ask for help at the knitting store where I took the class if I didn't buy the yarn there for my current project. They are always nice, but I feel a bit uncomfortable as this is the first time I didn't buy supplies from them. (They didn't have the yarn I wanted.) So does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks
susies

Shandeh
01-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I cast on by wrapping the yarn around my thumb from front to back, then put the needle through. However when I go to knit my first row, I end up with gaps between the needles...depending on how many stitches I stitch on, the gap gets bigger. Is that just how my version of casting on works? After the first row, it's normal. And I have NO CLUE how to do any other kind of casting on.

when I purl, I see two beautiful rows of purl, then it looks like I knitted, then purled again. I think that is because my Mom taught me to flip the needle into the other hand...that's wrong isn't it?? All the people I've known to knit just go back and forth without flipping their work from one side to the other so that the needle that I'm taking the yarn from always is in my left hand. It's an ambidexterious craft, right? TIA
As for your first question, yes....it is very common for the first row to be VERY loose if you do that kind of cast-on. (it's called "simple cast-on") Your first row will be easier to knit if you do a LONG TAIL cast on. Just look for the video on our website for "casting on" techniques.

And your second question sounds like you are purling two rows, then knitting? If that's the case, then your stitches WILL look like there is a row of knitting there. If you're trying to make a smooth (stockinette) fabric, you'll knit ONE row and purl ONE row, one after another. Good luck! :thumbsup:

i think i knit too loose or something though. it's real lacy looking whatever it is i'm doing. lol
If your work looks loose, it could be that your needles are too large for your yarn. If you're using thin yarn, you would want to use thin needles to make the fabric look even. Or, you could be knitting very loosely. I'm sure it will get better with practice. Watch our videos, and practice along with them. :wink:
Anyway, I look forward to maybe getting some help from all the nice folks here as I forge ahead with my Ugly Sweater
I think it's SO COOL that your son is willing to wear whatever you make! :cheering:
I have two skeins of aran left...probably not enough to finish. The yarn is an acrylic worsted. I have gone to a few shops to find a match with not too much luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe this far along I should tell you that the yarn does not have a label.
Since the yarn has been in your stash for so long, it could possibly be discontinued. If I were you, I would start a new project with new yarn, and set that other project aside as a lesson learned. And be SURE you have enough yarn for the new project, so you won't have the same problem with this one!
:pray:
I can't find the "post" or "reply" button on the knitting how-to section of this site. Can anyone help me?
Here is a link to the "How To" section.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
When you go to that page, you can click "New Thread" to start a discussion for your question.

But, you might be able to find an answer to your question by reading what former members have already asked. Just click "Search This Thread" (on the right side of the page), and put in a few key words to find other posts about that topic. :wink:
I'm trying to knit ribbing (k2 p2*) in the round. The ribbing is not appearing and I just can't rip it out one more time. I cast on 78 stitiches and joined in the round using the ribbing stitch. I'm being very careful to maintain the k2 p2, but when I get to the last two stitches of the round, I find myself at k2, when the beginning of the round began at k2! Doesn't every round begin the same way to rib in the round?
To knit K2P2 ribbing in the round, you would need to cast on a multiple of 4 stitches. So, you would need to cast on 76 or 80 stitches instead of 78. Try again, my friend!
my aim is to make a harry potter scarf (slytherin, actually) But I have no idea on how to begin. If any one can point me a in the right direction it would be awesome. And a question, how much has the Potterverse contributed to the increase in knitters?
We're having a Harry Potter knit-along in the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59459
I bet you'll get some answers there! :thumbsup:
I would like to know how to go about getting help. Is it cool to ask for help at the knitting store where I took the class if I didn't buy the yarn there for my current project.
Some yarn stores will help with any project, but most of them prefer to only help their customers that purchase yarn from them. And some yarn shops will go so far as to say they will only help you if you take a class. It really depends on the wishes of the yarn shop owner.

If you're looking for free help, you should try to find a group of knitters that meets in your area. Start going to the knit-togethers, and take your project with you. I'm sure you'll find some help there, and you'll make some friends as well! Also, you might be able to get answers to your questions here in the forum. Don't give up!

suzeeq
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by dragua http://knittinghelp.com/forum/images/ca_serenity_purple/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1050205#post1050205) I cast on by wrapping the yarn around my thumb from front to back, then put the needle through. However when I go to knit my first row, I end up with gaps between the needles...depending on how many stitches I stitch on, the gap gets bigger. Is that just how my version of casting on works? After the first row, it's normal. And I have NO CLUE how to do any other kind of casting on.

That's the backwards loop caston and I don't recommend it for more than just a few sts because of excess yarn slack it creates. I do my longtail in the `thumb' method, which is like the loop you describe, only before I take my thumb out of the loop I wrap the yarn going to the skein around the needle, slip the loop over/off the tip of the needle and it looks just like the LT caston. I never could do it the right way. Or you might try the knitted or cable castons.

About flipping the needle, yeah, you do. When you've knit a row, all the sts are transferred from the left needle to the right, so to do the next row, you need to put the needle with the sts in your left hand. This is also called turning. Some of the people you see who don't turn or switch hands may be knitting backwards, which is handy in certain techniques where you only have a few stitches on each row. Or they may be knitting in the round on a circular needle where you don't have to turn.

marystuck
01-28-2008, 08:54 PM
This is the first time I have ever been in a forum - so please be patient. I am not really sure what I am doing. I joined because I need some help understanding a mitten pattern. I love to knit and I'm sure being a part of this will help me.

Shandeh
01-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Mary, post your question in the "How To" part of the forum, and you'll get more help.

pjay1958
01-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Hello, I've been knitting since 2003 when I got sick. It is so relaxing and really enjoy it when I master a difficult task.

tangle2007
01-29-2008, 02:28 AM
I learned to knit when I was young, but haven't knit in years. I recently started knitting again, and suddenly have 4 projects lined up. So far I have made 2 toddler sweaters, one for each of my daughters, and I think I'm going to try something for myself next, or maybe socks for my daughters. I'm so happy to have found this site--I love the helpful videos, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this forum.
Tamara

ArtLady1981
01-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Oh wow! New brothers and sisters! Welcome all!!! :grphug:

esther434
01-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Hello, I am new to this site. I like it a lot because it includes how-to videos. I am starting to increase my work with patterns and using various colors of yarn. Does anyone know of a site where I can see how colors are attached and changes while knitting. the front of my knitting looks very nice but the reverse is a mess. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks. esther434

kahurley63
01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Everybody, Just wanted to introduce myself. I'll be on this site alot! I do have a question though??
I'm looking for a free pattern on an Aran Knit sweater. It's from the "Connolly" knit sweater on aransweatermarket.com. the front cable is very distinctive, I can't seem to find it anywhere on any website. Does anybody out there have the pattern or know how to knit that particular cable??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)
kahurley63 from Boston!!! Go PATS

suzeeq
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Hello, I am new to this site. I like it a lot because it includes how-to videos. I am starting to increase my work with patterns and using various colors of yarn. Does anyone know of a site where I can see how colors are attached and changes while knitting. the front of my knitting looks very nice but the reverse is a mess. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks. esther434

Hi esther, there are some videos here under How to Knit with 2 Colors at a time under the Advanced Techniques. Don't worry about the back, using more than one color can be very messy, but there should be some tips there on it. If you're still not sure about how to do it, you can post questions on the General Knitting or How To boards.

bostongirl2476
01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Hello all! Brand spanking new newbie here! Been out of work nursing a broken ankle for 6 weeks and counting and a friend suggested I take up knitting to pass the time! I am getting really good at casting on, and getting stuck on actually starting a project so hopefully this site will help out! Hope to see you all in finished projects.. :)

Shandeh
01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Welcome, new KHers! :muah:

I'm looking for a free pattern on an Aran Knit sweater. It's from the "Connolly" knit sweater on aransweatermarket.com. the front cable is very distinctive, I can't seem to find it anywhere on any website. Does anybody out there have the pattern or know how to knit that particular cable??
If you post this question in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section, you'll probably have more luck.

Pam Breeden
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi, my name is Pam. I found this site by accident, only yesterday. I wish I had found it sooner!!!!!
I'm kinda a new knitter. I taught myself to knit years ago when I lived in Salt Lake City, by reading a book...Then I finally met some ladies who knitted and one of them taught me to knit (I tnink it's contential or English style.) I can knit both ways but I mostly use that dosen'tthrow the yarn. I just started again last summer... So I consider myself sitll a novice. I haven't even seen the site yet,, It's so nice to know if I get in trouble there are folks out there I can ask.....LOL, Thank goodness!!!!!
TIA Pam B.
P.S. I'm really not shy.......

knotwit
01-30-2008, 01:11 AM
HI I'm originally from Massachusetts (Worcester) but have been living in Canada for 30 years. My mother showed me how to knit when I was 9 but I didn't get into it until I was a mom. I've only knitted a handful of projects and still need help knowing how to do stuff so here I am. I am looking forward to learning and who knows maybe even helping.
Thanks for the site to do it on.

kitsunenokawaii
01-30-2008, 02:05 AM
I just started knitting about two months ago and this site has been a godsend. I'm usually very good about learning out of a book, but, when presented with a book for knitting, I immediately started teaching myself the wrong way. I don't have anybody around me who knits to show me the ropes, so I'm watching different videos pretty much every day to learn the different way of working stitches for my small projects. They're very well explained and I nearly always have the stitch under my metaphorical belt by the second watching. It's great here. Thank you so much.

Kitty

knitatsunnyknoll
01-30-2008, 03:12 AM
I am new to this site and am really enjoying all that I am reading!
I have been knitting on and off for 16 years and have really picked it back up again consistently in the last 4 years.
I am a solid advanced beginner, meaning sometimes I can sail along and understand every instruction put before me!
Then there are other times that I can't even remember how to do a long tail cast on! hmmm...
I love all the information and those aha moments that this site provides!

Beccyt
01-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Hello,

I'm Beccy and I've not been knitting long. I've been teaching myself with a book, and as I don't know anyone else who knits, it can be quite challenging. The videos are absolutely brilliant, exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Kiirs
01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
My grandmother gave me a couple of knitting lessons as a kid--she taught me how to cast on, knit and purl. I quickly got frustrated, though, when my scarf curled up on the sides and I dropped stitches and made holes. :wink:

So it's been quite a few years since I picked up needles. I inherited a couple of old pairs from someone and checked out some books from the library last fall but never got around to reading much. I watched some videos here and discovered that my grandma taught me to yarn over backwards! It was interesting trying to re-train myself. Also, since I learned to crochet several years ago, I found the Continental style very easy to grasp and pick up.

Well, I still don't know much more than when I was a kid, but I'm hoping I can learn. This looks like a great website!

moodyknitter
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I have just discovered the forum! How fantastic. I was looking for help on a pattern and I found the answer HERE, so I immediately signed up for the forum. Thanks for being here.

peacfrg82
01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I am sooooo glad I found this website!!! The forum is awesome! No questions yet, but I know I'll get the answer. Thanks so much for this site!

knittingymnast
01-30-2008, 07:40 PM
me 2!

cas
01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Hello to everyone on this site. I am new and just love this and I know I will thoughly enjoy. May name is Cheryl and I love to knit plus lots of other crafts.
CAS

Shandeh
01-31-2008, 01:07 AM
Welcome everyone! You'll LOVE it here! :muah:

Frogger
01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi, All! I'm Frogger, and I've been knitting for about 8 years.

My mother tried teaching me how to knit on multiple occasions when I was a kid, but I never seemed to get the hang of it.

Many years later, when my son entered kindergarten, I decided to teach myself, using a couple of books and an established knitter friend as reference. I've been knitting ever since!

I stumbled onto this site kind of randomly, but I'm glad I did! It looks like a fun, friendly place!

busy bee
01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Hello I am Busy Bee from Australia.
Thanks for this forum I ahve been knitting for years and do spinning too, what a wonderful site would love to join in to the group, and meeting up with you all I am learning my way around the post.
cheers.:knitting:

KitNKnitN
01-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi all! KitN busy KnitN here in New York City. I've been knitting on and off for almost 10 years. I taught myself using a thin instructional booklet that came with a knitting kit I bought myself (which was pretty tough). I recently stumbled onto this great site and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the illustrated videos, free patterns and forums.

Thanks so much for this amazing website! :)

parvathy
02-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks..Hi everyone! I am new into knitting and am really excited to be a part of this community..

mariaknits
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Hello everyone. I've been visiting this site for a long time, and it has taught me most of what I know. You are a blessing to us who love the pointy sticks. Does the site offer a video of how to work through the heel flap and gusset of a sock? I'm stuck.

Jeremy
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Hello everyone. I've been visiting this site for a long time, and it has taught me most of what I know. You are a blessing to us who love the pointy sticks. Does the site offer a video of how to work through the heel flap and gusset of a sock? I'm stuck.

Welcome to the forum Maria.:hug: Here is a wonderful video on turning the heel. Come back to the How to forum to get more help if you get stuck.(the video is half way down)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

paintinggrams4450
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Lynda and live in Illinois and found your site by google as I have gone back and forth with knitting the last five years and have always managed to give up on it until now. I'm stubborn and refuse to quit this time. Your video's are amazing and have helped me so much. My biggest challenge has been getting my tension even but since watching your videos I have switched to the continental method and after watching the video a zillion times have gotten the hang of it and I'm so much happier with my stitching now. I've made a scarf for three of my grand kids and hope to someday make them sweaters. My biggest problem wanting to make the difficult things instead of starting small and working up to it. I hope to conquer intarsia so I can make the sweaters that I want to for the kids. Thanks for providing us with this great site Amy and hope to get lots of help and encouragement when hitting the many bumps in the road that I'm sure I'll come to along the way.:knitting:

123mensinger
02-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate this site. I haven't knitted for over 30 yrs. I was a little rusty, videos helped soooo much. I also learned how to knit using circular needles, never knew how before. Also learned how to knit with 4 needles. I really love the videos. Also made my own dpn. What a savings. Love how everyone helps each other. Thanks, Mary 123mensinger:knitting:

littlerockerchick
02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Hello all!!! I would like to introduce myself. I am a 28 year old living in Canada. I have been crocheting (as well as other crafts) for a few years now, but I have just recently taken up knitting when my visiting aunt whipped up a hat in a weekend (my dbf has been wanting a home made hat for a while now). I am still learning, I have 1 1/2 scarves under my belt now and look forward to all the helpful advise I will be getting here!

:knitting:

Shandeh
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:

kaistewart
02-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi,
My name is Kai, I am a new knitter in the last 3 months. I have crocheted for the past 30 plus years, and made all my kids hats and mittens etc. I wanted to make my grandson a knitted sweater and actually accomplished it this month. The sweater turned out quite well. The pattern was easy.
My only dilemma now is that the sleeves had about 2 inches turn back, which has created a lot of bulk, especially on a 2 yr old. I am wondering if there is any technique to cut off part of the sleeve and finish it off to look like a normal sleeve.
Anyone have any ideas?
Would love any advice.
Kai

Shandeh
02-02-2008, 09:25 AM
My only dilemma now is that the sleeves had about 2 inches turn back, which has created a lot of bulk, especially on a 2 yr old. I am wondering if there is any technique to cut off part of the sleeve and finish it off to look like a normal sleeve.
If you post this question in the "How To" section of the forum, you'll probably get lots of good ideas. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum! :hug:

summersong
02-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Thank you for providing this forum and 'hi' to everyone. I began teaching myself how to knit last November/December. I am so thankful to have found this site. It has become my primary source of instruction. I am a rather private solitary person - I don't talk much. But because I check in just about every day, I thought it would be best for me to actually become a member of the forum and thank you all for your friendly and generous support. Thank you!

knittingymnast
02-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Welcome, all!

I am a relatively new knitter; I learned in October. I have ambition, and have recently started my first sweater! For the first month and a half, I only fooled around with the needles. I taught myself yo knit, purl, cable, make socks, and more. Have fun knitting all! :knitting:

knittingphaze
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Hello!! I I just started knitting and I am so confused by the patterns. Is there
somewhere I can learn more on how to read them? I am trying to figure out what "Buttonhole
row: Knit two stitches, yarn over, knit two together, knit one
Knit until 3 ridges show after buttonhole (5 rows)
Repeat buttonhole row
Knit until 3 ridges show after buttonhole (5 rows)
Repeat buttonhole row
Knit until 3 ridges show after buttonhole (5 rows)" means. If you can help that would be great!!!! Thanks!!!

labeelady
02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
What you are doing is knitting a garter stitch band that has button holes. You knit 2 stitches, then bring yarn to front, knit the next two stitches together, and then knit 1. Then continue on with the rest of the garment. On the next row when you knit the y/o, you'll see that the "hole" has miraculously appeared!

AngieP
02-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Angie and I live in Georgia. I have been knitting since November 2007. So I am still a baby when it comes to the lingo, I will try to learn it though just give me some time :) . I am married and have a 16 yo son. I look forward to getting to know all of you. This site has helped me alot!!! THanks for letting me join your group!

Suziblues
02-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi, I just wanted to kinda intruduce myself because I've been posting and lurking here for almost 6 months and have never introduced myself!
SO: HI! I'm Sue, I"ve been knitting for about a year. My mom taught me when I was a little girl, but I never really got into it much. Then my daughter and daughter-in-law became pregnant both at the same time, so I decided what better time to pick up the needles than now! So I did!

BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I'VE LEARNED SO FAR IS THAT A NEW KNITTER SHOULD NEVER TRY TO 'TWEEK' OR CHANGE A PATTERN IN ANY WAY THINKING IT MAY MAKE IT EASIER........IT WON'T!
I thought I'd knit a sweater, my first adult sweater mind you, and I figured it would be easier to knit it in the round rather than in pieces. HA! NOT!
Right now I'm racking my brain, frogging, ripping...just basically trying to figure out how to put some sleeves and a collar in my sweater so it will look nice. I'm pretty sure I can do it with the help of you wonderful (and I mean WONDERFUL) knitters out there!
I also want to knit a cat bed sometime in the near future, so if anybody knows a good cat bed pattern, please link it for me.
So thats about it. Oh yeah, I'm in my 50's, married to the same guy for about 25 years, I have 3 children (one passed away) and 2 grand babies and another one on the way and 1 step grand son. And 2 cats. I'm also the caretaker of my elderly mother, who lives with me, sort of.......my mom has lived in this little tiny studio apartment for 30 years or so, about 4 years ago the apartment right next to hers became vacant, so I grabbed it and now I live right next door to my mom. But she is either at my apartment, or me at hers, so we're always together. I just wish she was like she used to be so she could help me when I get stuck at knitting, but she has dementia and her memory is horrible. Oh welll, at least she is healty physically.
I want to add one last thing, if you're still reading (lol!!) I just want to thank everybody who has been helping me. Some of the beautiful knitting on here just blows me away!!!!
:muah:
luv,sue

busy bee
02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Thank you all for the web sites for the log cabin baby rug and the information will be looking out for my odd balls of wool and working out a pattern for ithave a lot of baby wool odd bits, I like this K.H. site learn my way around hope I have post in the right one. :knitting:

Lillie
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Hello, everyone.

I'm Lillie and a newbie to KnittingHelp. Also not all that computer-savvy, so will probably take a while to figure out what the site offers and how to make my way around it.

I live near Aiken, SC. Are there any knitters in this area?

Well, that's it for now. I'm off to search for afghan designs. Meanwhile, thanks so much, Amy, for creating and maintaining this chock-full web site. I look forward to learning lots here!

Lillie

dustinac
02-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Welcome everyone to KH!!:woot:

Lillie~ Check out our Knitters near you forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)...hopefully there will be someone close to ya :thumbsup:

Shandeh
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Hello everyone, and welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:
I thought I'd knit a sweater, my first adult sweater mind you, and I figured it would be easier to knit it in the round rather than in pieces. Right now I'm racking my brain, frogging, ripping...just basically trying to figure out how to put some sleeves and a collar in my sweater so it will look nice. I'm pretty sure I can do it with the help of you wonderful (and I mean WONDERFUL) knitters out there!
I also want to knit a cat bed sometime in the near future, so if anybody knows a good cat bed pattern, please link it for me.
If you post your request for help with the sweater in the "How To" section, I bet you'll get LOTS of help!

Here are some cat bed patterns:
Felted Cat Basket (http://webhome.idirect.com/~quanah/patcatb.html)
Felted Kitty Bed (http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm)
Fulled Cat Basket (http://www.knitlist.com/98gift/sandyscatbasket.htm)

crazywig
02-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Been lurking for a bit, thought I'd stop in and say hi! I'm a really new knitter with only a few scarves under my belt. Right now I'm working on my first basic roll brim hat! Woot! :happydance:

You guys are a wealth of knowledge, thank you for the help you don't even know you've given me :).

romanaII
02-03-2008, 12:32 AM
I love this site! :muah:

I was trying to teach my 9 year old how to knit when we came upon this site and she caught on, and enjoys it! And I am still learning tips and tricks. My hubby thinks we're both addicted to yarn and pretty needles.

Now to invent self knitting needles... doctor who scarves take forever!

jennifer

trying4yrstoknit
02-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Hi I am new to this site and I seen on a post a lady was spinning wool--well i have been attempting to learn to knit for the last couple of years and i have also been spinning my own wool-- within the last week i found a pattern in Vogueknitting --its a shawl and is beautiful--its a Elizabeths Zimmermans shawl called EZ as Pi--in the part of what you will need it says: "4 wheels of unspun lcelandic wool" well i have icelandic sheep so what the heck is 4 wheels of unspun wool about? Does anyone know? I called a couple of knitters and they dont know--can anyone out there help me? I am thinking maybe they are talking about skeins of wool? Well anyway i am sure it must be English, Scotish, Wales, Irish? Hopefully these posts go all over the world and someone can explain to me what that means--sorry for rambling on about the 4 wheels of unspun wool but it is interestting to see the termonlogy of different countries on the way we knit, spin wool, crochet, etc etc--thanks for this site and i will be back soon urs--trying4yrstoknit :]

suzeeq
02-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi and welcome to all the new people.

trying4yrstoknit, why don't you google on "EZ as Pi" and you'll probably come up with dozens of links from people who've knit it. I'm sure their posts will say how much of whatever yarn they used.

issylthesthlia
02-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm very excited to introduce myself here. I'm a new knitter, new weaver, new spinner... I'm also a stay at home mom to two beautiful boys 3 and 1.5. I'm excited to get to know everyone!

edvard
02-03-2008, 09:09 PM
hello - this is my introduce yourself post - I've been knitting for a few years and trying to get better. I'm hoping to try and start selling a few things so I want to improve the finishing of everything I make, make sure everything is perfect. Looking forward to learning new stuff and talking to other knitters!

jopo56
02-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Hello from Massachusetts! I just joined because I thought it would be fun to read what others are doing and to get some help from time to time. I've known how to do basic knitting and purling for years, but I haven't really progressed much beyond scarves and small blankets. Recently, I joined a prayer shawl ministry and I've been making shawls for terminally ill people and their families.
This weekend I watched a video online and learned how to do a cable stitch!

jopo

Jeremy
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Here is a cat bed pattern from Wendyknits
http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm

Jeremy
02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Welcome to everyone.

coral
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi

My name is Krissi. I've knitted since I was a teenager. I learned from my step-father's mother when we lived next door to her. She was from Ireland and immigrated when she was in her early 20's. She handed me some yarn and needles one day. After learning how to cast on, knit and read my first hat pattern, she left me on my own. She was kind enough to fix any mistakes during my first few projects.

When she passed away, none of the relatives liked to or knew how to knit so I have been keeping her needles warm until that changes.

As for current projects, my half sister, her granddaughter, is having her first baby. I'm knitting items to welcome her/him. I have some debbie bliss cashmerino (dk weight). I am looking for a simple baby blanket pattern. The label calls for size 3 needles. Any one have any ideas, please send them my way.

Thanks

Krissi

Shandeh
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Welcome everyone! :)

.........Elizabeths Zimmermans shawl called EZ as Pi--in the part of what you will need it says: "4 wheels of unspun lcelandic wool" well i have icelandic sheep so what the heck is 4 wheels of unspun wool about?
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might want to post it in the "Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc." section of our forum. Good luck! :hug:

I have some debbie bliss cashmerino (dk weight). I am looking for a simple baby blanket pattern. The label calls for size 3 needles. Any one have any ideas, please send them my way.
You might want to look for a baby blanket pattern here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_blankets.php

sandimac
02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for a great web site!! Haven't been knitting long, but your site is a reall help!!
:cheering: Thanks, Sandimac

busyfingers
02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm so happy to have found this site. I can just tell its going to be very exciting to have lots of my questions answered about knitting. I consider myself in need of being refreshed for lots of knitting skills. I used to knit when my children were young and could make socks and mitts and a simple sweater. After I became employed for many years I hardly did any knitting. Now that I'm almost retired I want to pick up where I left off, and expand my knowledge.
I love this forum and site already and I expect it be a great help to me.
Thanks for all the hard work of getting this up and running and I look forward to exchanging ideas and tips with everyone here.

busyfingers :woohoo: :heart: :woohoo:

greytata
02-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi everyone, came accross this site when web surfing. I am tired of making scarves, so I am looking forward to help and support to try something else. I am going to be a first time Nana in July so I am anxious to get knitting.

Greytata:woot:

Jeremy
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Welcome to our new members.:hug:

pam12
02-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Everyone
l have just taken up knitting again after leaving off for over 20 years.
l'm not brilliant at it
l googled and found this website and l am feeling better now there is help at hand or just people to talk to about this great hobby
Pam

Bashi
02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I got started knitting about 3 years ago. I picked up a booklet with all the stuff and hunkered down to teach myself during a cold January. I don't knit a whole lot but I am very ambitious!

I have been to this site a number of times for clarity and renewed confidence... ;) -I have a way of driving *myself* crazy!

I also sew a *lot*! Quilts, clothes, and costumes for plays and halloween. I paint and dye a lot of my fabrics for art quilts. I enter contests and challenges as much as I can.

Great to be here!
Thanks for a great site.

wendita
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
The videos on this site have been invaluable! Thanks so much. I really enjoy knitting but it can be intimidating if you are trying something new. But I have no fear now! Anybody else feel that knitting is like meditation??! Thanks again. -Wendy

jennlh
02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm so glad I found this site.

My name is Jenn and I decided to take up knitting because I use cloth diapers on my daughters and wool makes great water-resistant diaper covers. Instead of paying someone $50-60 to knit covers for me, I thought it would be nice to be able to make them myself. My husband got me a Lion Teach-Yourself-to-Knit kit for Christmas 2006 and that's how I started. Many times KnittingHelp.com helped me figure out how to do something, but I just realized there was a forum here last week. So I came on over :)

I find knitting so calming and centering and love that I have something physical to show for time spent being calm and centered. Knitting really helps when I have to fly, which used to reduce me to tears during takeoff and landing. Now I knit through with very little stress. Fabu!

In the past few months I've branched out from diaper covers and baby afghans and i think I'm becoming a bit obsessed ;) I have lots and lots of yarn that I purchased just because I loved it and now must find projects to justify :teehee:

Anyway, thanks for being here!

shookie
02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
I've been using the videos on this site for a while, and I've just recently found the forum. What a great find!

My last hat effort turned out a bit less wonderfully than I had planned, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Shandeh
02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Anybody else feel that knitting is like meditation??! Thanks again. -Wendy
Yes! In fact, you'll find a few knitting videos for sale that discuss "the Zen of knitting". :wink:

wendita
02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
That's great! No wonder it's so addictive!! Wendy

Twit
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Hello :)

I'm not ready to say "hi" yet but the message board software was hounding me to do so, lol.

I'm learning to knit because I can't find hair kerchiefs to buy anywhere that cover up my hair loss. I've given up hope and am just gonna learn myself.

I came into the hobby purely for the ability to make kerchiefs and whatever else there is to cover my head but am finding I'm having a lot of fun learning... at least what I've learned so far. And I've been looking at yarn in some online stores and eBay and am finding myself to be getting all inappropriately excited over what I see. So I'm thinking I just might be taking this new little hobby a lot further than I originally intended.

Anyhow, I just started doing this. Any question I can think of has been gone over in length. Like, if I have a question, it's "how do I cast off", lol. For now I'm finding all my answers pretty well online and those videos on knittinghelp.com are amazing!

Now message board software... I posted in this thread. Are we cool now or what?

Shandeh
02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
:teehee:
Welcome Twit! You'll fit right in here. :hug:

Terri Gonzalez
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
This is a fantastic website - I was looking for something to help me with decreases in necklines.

sarahkp
02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi all,

Have been loving this site for awhile now but just decided to join since I've been lurking lately trying to figure out how to join my circular knitting. :p

I loved being part of a similar community while I was pregnant and now look forward to lots of fun over a wonderful (but totally different) topic...KNITTING!

Shandeh
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
......I've been lurking lately trying to figure out how to join my circular knitting. :p
I made a video about joining in the round. There is a link to it in my signature here. Good luck!

knittingymnast
02-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Thank you, Kemp!

I subscribed to your podcast, "Diva Knitting Podcast". It rocks! Anyone else who has an iPod should definitely check it out!

Thanks again! :muah:

SKH
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you for allowing me to join. Please let me introduce myself. I have been knitting off and on since a little girl when GM taught me as she was knitting and I wanted to do what she was doing. Started with basic scarf. Currently love knitting felted items and have made several Lucy bags for myself and friends. Recently made my first socks after taking a class. Was introduced to this site by a friend I recently taught to knit. Wonderful videos!
SKH

craftybird
02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Hi, I am new to knitting. I got started by using a loom and now am trying to learn the double cast on method. I love it!!!:heart:

catcook
02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm am getting ready to retire and decided to learn to knit. Thank you so much for this web site if I hadn't found it I would still be staring at a ball of yarn and empty needles....lol So my first project is what I call my retirement shawl. I have so much to learn!

suzeeq
02-08-2008, 10:31 PM
This is a fantastic website - I was looking for something to help me with decreases in necklines.

The decrease videos should help with the actual decreases. For help in knowing how/when to do them, ask in the General Knitting or How To forums.

happyfingers
02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Hello eveyone a knitter from the carolinas:knitting:

caryonf
02-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks for this awesome website! I'm a newbie & happened to find this site. I was able to learn knitting by watching the videos & am addicted! And to think I used to be intimidated & thought I'd never be able to learn knitting! :X:

bearlady
02-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I stumbled on this site today and joined right away. I'm looking forward to meeting other knitters

Anyone else from Nova Scotia?

fireflyknitter
02-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Hello!

I'm a new knitter and without this website I would never have been able to learn. I thought I could learn from books but... guess not! Without the videos here I wouldn't even be able to cast on!

I'm 23 and I live with my husband in sunny Jacksonville, Florida. I'm new to knitting but I have been working with fabric in one way or another for close to 10 years. Knitting always intimidated me because I am terrible at math and didn't want to do anything that involved it, but after stumbling onto the Yarn Harlot's and Eunny Jang's blogs about 2 years ago I became totally enchanted and knew that my learning how was an inevitability. So this past Christmas I got myself a book, some yarn and needles, and I am just in love! cloud9

Shandeh
02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Welcome everyone! :)

Hello eveyone a knitter from the carolinas:knitting:
I'm in the Carolinas also! :hug:

sarahkp
02-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you so much!!! I did watch the site's official dpn video but I didn't notice anything special right at the point of joining one end to the other. So...I didn't do anything like this and thus the first row of my hat is a little weird but after a few rows it seems fine. Next time I will try this though!

suzeeq
02-09-2008, 07:56 PM
There isn't anything different about the joining in the site's video. The one Shandeh has up on YouTube is different. I like to CO one extra st and knit it together with the first one. That snugs it up for me.

Shandeh
02-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I used to do that too, suzeeq. I can't remember when I started switching the first and last stitches. I think I read it somewhere online, and decided to try it. It's my preferred method now. :wink:

durabledora
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi! I'm Dorothy, from Omaha. I'm a relatively new knitter. I'm starting my first sweater, so wish me luck!

CarolinaGirl
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi! I have been knitting for a couple of years and I am hooked! Although I still consider myself a beginner I am looking forward to learning so much more! This website has helped me with so much! Hopefully one day I can like make a sweater!!!!

:knitting:

knittingymnast
02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome, all of you! :muah:

gotta knit
02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm Mary. I have been knitting for over 20 years, love the challenge of intricate patterns.

Good luck with the sweater Dorothy!

Shandeh
02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm starting my first sweater, so wish me luck!
You can do it!!! :thumbsup:

Brigitte
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi, my name is Brigitte from Washington State and I've started knitting again after many years and found your site so very helpful. It is easy to use and I love the videos they are so helpful. Thank you. I'm also new at sending these messages. Thanks for your patience.

knitnumbnut
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
i just found this site and thought it was fanknittingtastic! i dont know anyone who knits so i tought my self from a book called knitting for dumbies he he he! and im happy to know there is so much help on the web!:knitting::woohoo:

Ilove2knit
02-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi, I'm Christine. I just started knitting about a month or two ago, so I'm pretty much a beginner. I just finished my first sweater; I used Jenna Adorno's "Tempting" pattern; it was so easy. I'm a stay-at-home mom to three little girls. :)

durabledora
02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome! My sweater is the Skully pattern from Stich 'n Bitch. It looks pretty easy, until I get to the intarsia... that'll be my first foray into that. It may end up with stripes on the sleeves if i mess up the skulls too badly.

Shandeh
02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
My sweater is the Skully pattern from Stich 'n Bitch. It looks pretty easy, until I get to the intarsia... that'll be my first foray into that. It may end up with stripes on the sleeves if i mess up the skulls too badly.
I'm no pro with intarsia.....but I do know that you have to be careful to twist the strands of different color when you make the color changes, so there is no hole there.

VickieBov
02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Help! I can't figure out how to start a new thread!

Sigh...hahaha

VickieBov

Shandeh
02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Help! I can't figure out how to start a new thread! Sigh...hahaha - VickieBov
Hi Vickie! If you want to start a thread without a "quote", just click "Post Reply" at the top or bottom of the page. :thumbsup:

If you want to start an entirely new discussion, click the category in the forum you want to post it in, then click "New Thread".

Misschievious
02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone. I'm Denise (and I am not completely sure if I am doing this right). I learned to knit last summer to help teach childrens' knitting classes at our local library. I am now completely hooked. I just finished my first pair of socks on 2 circulars. I thought if I can do that, I can do a sweater...I guess we'll see about that later.

Have a great day!

erikah
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I love this site. Thanks so much for setting it up I am telling all my knitter friends about it. I have found so much help here.
Thanks again

celtictrek
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi! My name is Linda F. (celtictrek).

I'm a beginning knitter. Well, actually, I've tried to learn at least 4 different times. So far I'm a failure:???:

So it was recommended I come over here for help. I'm off to search for answers for my problem.

BTW...I'm very good at crochet! :woohoo: :teehee: So I'm not a total needle failure!

MamaCimino
02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi! I'm fairly new to knitting. I have tried to pick it up a few times and out of frustration gave it up. But I am going to try again. I know just the basics. Nothing fancy... yet. My mom has tried to teach me but I have found your videos very helpful too. There is nothing better than having someone there with you showing you how to do each step, but at 10 in the evening it's easier to watch a video to show me than to bother my mom at home so late at night.

Rubyjane
02-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I was browsing for patterns and found this site! Happy to have found you. I live in NE Wisconsin, belong to a knitting group at a local shop, and have been knitting up a storm lately...we have a new grandson (our 3rd!), and he is quite set now with blankets, hats, etc. How nice to be part of a group of knitters. I look forward to meeting you all.

ccmnme
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
hello everyone i'm not sure how to do this so I'm saying hi to all:grphug:

Shandeh
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I just finished my first pair of socks on 2 circulars. I thought if I can do that, I can do a sweater...I guess we'll see about that later.
Go for it! You can do it! :woohoo:

I'm a beginning knitter. Well, actually, I've tried to learn at least 4 different times. So far I'm a failure:???:
Hang in there, my friend. You can learn! :thumbsup:

When I was first learning to knit, I didn't think I would ever get it either. I bought a set of size 10 needles, and some bright red yarn, then sat myself down at my computer and watched the cast on and knit stitch videos OVER and OVER and OVER again. I finally got it! Here's the first scarf I made! :)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/461078320_de4563a0b5_o.gif

After that, I tried other things, and eventually was able to make socks and baby dresses! I LOVE to knit! cloud9
You can see all the things I've made here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/sets/72157600527791203/

There is nothing better than having someone there with you showing you how to do each step, but at 10 in the evening it's easier to watch a video to show me than to bother my mom at home so late at night.
Exactly! I've done my best learning late at night, sitting at the computer with needles and yarn.

zigwash
02-12-2008, 05:00 PM
im i new knitter . acuatualy i am only 12 yrs old and learned 2 days ago, i found this site on google:) lol and i found out why i was gaining stiches( ALOT) lol
i only started knitting two days ago and have failed an unbelivibly amount of times but i have the hang of it now.. scince this morning i have done 15 rows:) :-P
a am knitting a scarf yellow and fuzzie white :woot:
hopefully something doesnt go wrong and if it dose i am deffinatly going straight to this site :woot:

photolady
02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
im i new knitter . acuatualy i am only 12 yrs old and learned 2 days ago, i found this site on google:) lol and i found out why i was gaining stiches( ALOT) lol
i only started knitting two days ago and have failed an unbelivibly amount of times but i have the hang of it now.. scince this morning i have done 15 rows:) :-P
a am knitting a scarf yellow and fuzzie white :woot:
hopefully something doesnt go wrong and if it dose i am deffinatly going straight to this site :woot:

I'm impressed that a 12 year old would be so intelligent and motivated as to read and watch videos, in this forum. Very GOOD, zigwash!
15 rows this morning? How far along are you NOW?
I'll tell you something cool, and, that's how much I learned since being in this forum. WHOA! So much expert advice, and it seems like everyone in here is happy to help you.
You found a really good place, to learn how to knit.
Keep with it, you'll be glad you did!

rosyhf
02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi, I'm Rosy and a novice knitter. I have managed to knit a couple pairs of socks and some dishclothes. I love it. I am currently looking at this sock on the web that's call, "broad spiral' or something to that effect and I see someone posted on it already. Where is that SKS place that she is talking about? I would like to learn to knit that sock lol.....

I will enjoy it here.

Rosy

Sulwen
02-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Hello, all. My RL name is Sarah, but I tend to go by Sulwen on the 'net since there are so darned many of us! Some of my friends on another forum got in a discussion about knitting the other day, and I decided it sounded like fun, so of course I Googled it and found this site. So far I've just been practicing casting on and the knit stitch, over and over and over, but it seems to be going pretty well - at least, I'm getting better with each attempt. The videos on this site have been incredibly helpful - you just can't get it with a picture alone. Hopefully I'll be ready to start a basic project after a few more practice sessions, and then I'm sure I'll be here on a regular basis looking for help and new things to try!

knitter_shalini
02-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Hello! I'm new here. I have been knitting for almost 6 months now. I have finished a few scarves, a hat, few booties, and am knitting my first ever sock. The KnittingHelp videos have helped me a great deal as I learn and I look forward to learning more on the forum.

CarolynJM
02-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Knitting is my passion right now. I learned to knit when I was in college in the 60's. My first project before I even knew how to hold the needles was a cardigan sweater with a floral design down each sleeve. Yes, I made it with the help of the lady from whom I rented a room. I recently came back to knitting finding that it was good therapy for me. I had forgotten how good it felt to knit! Therapeutic. I have completed several scarves, socks, three sweaters, neck warmers, stocking hats, and cell phone cozies. Right now, I am knitting a Lucy Bag which is really fun to do. I have found answers to my knitting questions online and that has been exciting for me. What a resource - nothing like what we had in the 60's. I am excited to be on this website and enjoy the company of our knitters.

Jibara
02-15-2008, 01:37 AM
I am begginer knitter. Done shawls adn scarfs, love to use unique yarns, beads and love to improvise. I am looking for a easy purse knitting pattern that uses Bamboo handles. The handles are semi round. I figure I can do knitting/purl pattern, make it ablout 12 incles wide x 16 inches long. I am not sure if I should use circle needles or straight. If I should sew a lining so it holds its shape when I use it, etc. So if anyone has a easy pattern please share it with me.

Shandeh
02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :muah:

Where is that SKS place that she is talking about?
Hi Rosy....she might be referring to the book titled "Sensational Knitted Socks (http://www.amazon.com/Sensational-Knitted-Socks-Charlene-Schurch/dp/1564775704)".

I am looking for a easy purse knitting pattern that uses Bamboo handles. The handles are semi round. So if anyone has a easy pattern please share it with me.
Hi Jibara. You'll find lots of patterns for bags at this site:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/bags_totes_purses.php

mn grammie
02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I started making more then scarfs just before Christmas, first a hat, then another hat, I've made 2 pairs of mittens, so I'm very new to following a pattern. Now I'm trying to knit a pair of socks, all I can say is HELP. The pattern "Knit to fit" is confusing to me. Kitchener stitch, *s1,1 K1* I'm very confused. So if anyone has any comforting words or insight, I'm all ears.
Thanks,

Shandeh
02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I started making more then scarfs just before Christmas, first a hat, then another hat, I've made 2 pairs of mittens, so I'm very new to following a pattern. Now I'm trying to knit a pair of socks, all I can say is HELP. The pattern "Knit to fit" is confusing to me. Kitchener stitch, *s1,1 K1* I'm very confused. So if anyone has any comforting words or insight, I'm all ears.
Thanks,
If you want a REALLY GOOD sock pattern, with clear instructions, check this out:
Silver's Sock Tutorial with 4 Double Point Needles (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)
Silver's Sock Tutorial with 2 Circular Needles (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm)
Good luck! :hug:

jobi
02-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Knitting help has saved me. Thank You.
The video clips are AWESOME as I am new to knitting and crotcheting. I took a class at a knit shop in December but it didn't quite stick .
This is great I can't wait to learn more. Just one more row.
I am learning the basic garter stich and purl stich continental style.
so much fun.

margoc
02-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I have only been knitting for about 2 years and it is all basically self taught-so in otherwords not so great . But. I enjoy it and as long as my projects remain square I'm good!!! Alot of scarves and blankets. Which leads me to finding this website. I need to know how to knit a border on a finished blanket. It is all rolled at the edges and I'm not sure how to add the blanket. I never thought of adding it during the process of making the blanket(which will be my next project!) If anyone knows if there is a video I can view (because its easier to process seeing it.) BUt I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.:heart:

lareynolds
02-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Hello,

This is my first post ever. I am not really much of a computer poster. But since this seems to be the new way to get into the site, here it goes.

I leanerd to knit from this site. I have taught twenty or so high school students to knit using this website. I love the cable knit hat pattern offered under adult patters. I have made two over the last couple years and had planned on starting my third when I was redirected here.

Lee

gilda
02-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Just wanted to say hello. I am a struggling new beginner to knitting and to this forum. I have taken a 4 hour beginning knitting class and think that some things are beginning to make sense. My biggest problem is that I live in a small community in Iowa with only a Walmart that sells yarn. I had to travel 55 miles for the knitting course. I am going to contact the retirement/nursing home community to see if maybe they have a knitting group; otherwise I am going to try to form one. The owner of the store in Des Moines said that she has customers from Grinnell but really didn't know names. Anyone from this forum fromGrinnell, Iowa?? Guess I need to go read the forum now to see what I can learn. Thanks to all, Gilda

Jeremy
02-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks,
We have an excellent kitchener video in the video section

Shandeh
02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

I need to know how to knit a border on a finished blanket. It is all rolled at the edges and I'm not sure how to add the blanket.
If you post your question in the "How To" section of the forum, you'll probably get LOTS of suggestions!

Personally, I prefer to do a crochet border, because it's quick and easy for me. But, there are lots of options for making a border.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
I have taught twenty or so high school students to knit using this website.
Cool! :woohoo:

I had to travel 55 miles for the knitting course. Anyone from this forum from Grinnell, Iowa?? Guess I need to go read the forum now to see what I can learn.
Be sure to check out the "Knitters Near You" section of the forum. You might be able to find some local knitters that way! :)

amandam
02-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Hello my friends.
This is a great website and i'm very to become with you.

Regards

grannychickadee
02-18-2008, 11:17 AM
This is a great place, I haven't been on a forum for years. I found you because I was looking at a you tube video on buttonholes, I think. Anyway, to introduce myself. I live in Utah, transplanted down here from Idaho. I am 54 (close to 55) years old, mother of 9, (5 sons, 4 daughters) mother-in-law of 8, (I have a teenage son still at home), and grandmother of 16 with one on the way (10 girls, 6 boys, and the one still in the oven is a girl).
I have been knitting, crocheting, and sewing since I was 10 years old. I started a little quilting when I started having babies. About 25 years ago I discovered and became obsessed with counted cross stitch, but I don't do much of that any more, I ran out of wall space. I quilt quite a bit but I think knitting is my first :inlove: and most passionate love affair of the needle arts. My DH goes nuts when he has to vacuum the floors, yarn everywhere.
I don't do a lot a fancy knitting, but I loved designing and making Barbie clothes for my girls when they were younger, I have made dozens of scarves, hats, mittens, sweaters and slippers for my children and they were growing up and now for my grandchildren. I am really Into the 18" doll thing, making sweaters and ponchos for the dolls to match those I have made for the Granddaughter's.
I have also lately discovered felting:woohoo: :woohoo:
There is so much that I want to learn. Raising 9 kids for 35 years tends to distract you from the extra's in life, and now I intend to get back to them. :p
My next giant step are Socks! I am really scared on this one. My power of concentration isn't what it used to be, but here goes:woot: :) :)

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
This is a great place, I haven't been on a forum for years. I found you because I was looking at a you tube video on buttonholes, I think. Anyway, to introduce myself. I live in Utah, transplanted down here from Idaho. I am 54 (close to 55) years old, mother of 9, (5 sons, 4 daughters) mother-in-law of 8, (I have a teenage son still at home), and grandmother of 16 with one on the way (10 girls, 6 boys, and the one still in the oven is a girl).
I have been knitting, crocheting, and sewing since I was 10 years old. I started a little quilting when I started having babies. About 25 years ago I discovered and became obsessed with counted cross stitch, but I don't do much of that any more, I ran out of wall space. I quilt quite a bit but I think knitting is my first :inlove: and most passionate love affair of the needle arts. My DH goes nuts when he has to vacuum the floors, yarn everywhere.
I don't do a lot a fancy knitting, but I loved designing and making Barbie clothes for my girls when they were younger, I have made dozens of scarves, hats, mittens, sweaters and slippers for my children and they were growing up and now for my grandchildren. I am really Into the 18" doll thing, making sweaters and ponchos for the dolls to match those I have made for the Granddaughter's.
I have also lately discovered felting:woohoo: :woohoo:
There is so much that I want to learn. Raising 9 kids for 35 years tends to distract you from the extra's in life, and now I intend to get back to them. :p
My next giant step are Socks! I am really scared on this one. My power of concentration isn't what it used to be, but here goes:woot: :) :)

why dont you click here (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks) for a sock pattern? i tried it when i only did garter stitch scarves, and look at me now! i just casted on my first SWEATER!

placy
02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello there, I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I don't know why I started to knit. I think it was more of a tool to break a nasty habit. Well now I can't stop knitting. I drive my wife crazy because I am allways showing her what I am working on. My first project was a simple phone cozy. My wife loved it. I then made a stuffed Santa (which was very cute) so my wife says. Any time I had a question I would come to this site. It has been the most helpful site I have found. My mother-in-law bought me the knitting for dummies book for my birthday but when I read it I still found myself coming here. The videos are the best. Well I am at work right now so I better go know. Talk to you all later. :guyknitting:

knitknack33
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for having such an informative, user-friendly site! I started knitting about a year ago, but am just starting to venture out of the scarf territory. It's tough to find time to knit w/ my schedule as a graduate student...but I'm trying to pick the needles back up as a way to reduce stress and make gifts for my friends and family. Great to join in this community! Thanks!

Shandeh
02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
It's great to meet you all! Welcome to the forum! :hug:

jchant
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I found your site yesterday while looking for iPod sock patterns. I'm a beginner/intermediate knitter and I usually knit dish cloths, but I'm currently working on my first sweater--the Peace Fleece cardigan--as part of a knit-along at my local yarn store. This looks like it will be a very helpful site!

LJMS
02-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Just had my 45th birthday and took my lil' sis and Mom to my local knitting shop to celebrate with a hands on lesson! The owner was so surprised I knew continental. Told her that I had bought the KH cd (edit. 1.3) way back before going to adopt my daughter in '05 and learned it from Amy. Pulled this out to refresh my brain :chair: when I got home and was so glad to see this forum (guess it was here all along - where was I?) and the additions to the site - WOW!
Thanks so much for staying around and adding to this wonderful resource. :yay:
Kudos to you Amy -
Lisa

campbellmom549
02-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi all. I'm Liz and I'm new around here. (As was probsbly evident by the fact that I'm posting in the "Hey, I'm new here and I'm introducing myself" thread.) Anyway, I'm a wife of four years and mother to my beautiful 18-month-old son. We live on the Gulf Coast and I've been knitting for, oh, since Christmas. I've finished all of two things and now I have so many projects lined up I'll be working clear through the summer to finish them all. I started because I wanted to make my brother a beanie in his school's colors for a Christmas present. Now I'm working on a sweater for myself. It's not coming out so bad if you ignore all the holes on the back side. (Fortunate for me it was the first piece of the sweater I knit!) So anyway, that's me in a nutshell. (Help! Help! I'm in a nutshell!)

dustinac
02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
:happydance: Welcome to KH, everyone!!

Lollilulu
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello! I'm a brand new knitter. I know the knit stitch and I'm just learning the purl stitch. I knitted a scarf and I'm starting another one. This website is fantastic and the videos are very helpful. I'm excited about the patterns, too. Can't wait to learn more!

kittycow
02-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Was told about this site and checked it out, Very Nice! I used to knit often then switched to crochet and now I'm back to knitting. Lost a lot of knowledge on knitting and really need to re-learn to knit. So I'll be watching the video's more than once.
The name KittyCow? I never know what to call myself and when I do they are taken so I make up two animal names, this time I'm KittyCow, another site I'm DuckenChickens.
Nice to meet everyone.

Mamselli
02-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi,

I`m Anja, 32 years old and I come from germany. I don`t speak english very well and I hope I understand everything.

Anja

Lollilulu
02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Did you find an ipod sock pattern? That sounds like a neat project. I have the pattern for a cell phone sock but haven't attempted it yet.

Lollilulu
02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Hello, Bekky! I'm a fellow younger knitter. Glad to see there are more of us on the site. I think it would be neat to popularize knitting among the younger generation!

CraftLoverTara
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi! My name is Tara, and I have just learned to knit this week. Well, I'm learning how to knit this week - I wouldn't say I've learned! I'm so glad I found this site - I have been able to get started and learn plenty, and I have spent less than $8. DH is happy about that.

Originally I thought I would make a scarf, but instead the work on my needles has become a special pattern I'm calling "The Learning Curve Scarf" - which consists of every stitch I've learned and mistake I've made. I'll post a pic when I finally feel confident enough to move on to a "real" project!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone - I will have questions!

KnittyLynn
02-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Guess it's been a while since my last visit. I have a new job and it keeps me pretty busy. I'm glad for the free videos on here! I think I just learned how to do the 2 ended knitting needle knitting so I'm going to give it a try again.
I've been ordering craft books for knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, paper art, all kinds of different stuff. My youngest daughter & I are planning to work on some projects this summer.:) I've fallen in love with the knitting looms! I've made scarves, a baby blanket, hats, and just finished a pillow for my granddaughter's room. Anyone else like the looms? Well, till next time...Happy knitting!!:knitting:

KnittyLynn
02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi and Welcome!! Sounds like you're having fun learning to knit so far! You're going to do great I'm sure.:thumbsup:
Nice to meet cha!:knitting:

lexi
02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to say hello and thank you for a lovely site. Im from the north east of England, married with 2 grown up children. I really love knitting and taught myself 26 years ago but still like to ask for advice now and again, beleive it or not i have never used circular needles so i have now found a site that will i hope help me. Thank you once again x

dvidrine
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I'm a new member and live in Cedaredge Co. I've knitted for several years but sometime I have a problem with certain stitches. Hope you guys can help

knittingymnast
02-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Welcome to KH! :waving:

dianap1140
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading this sight. I hope to gain much knowledge from here.
I'm trying to learn how to knit by myself. I became frustrated, so I purchased the Ultimate knitting machine.
Does anyone out there use this machine and if so where can I learn to use it. I'm going to try myself...but thought there might be a class of something.

I live in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA

Thanks,
Diana

rainbow-weaver
02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Hello,

I have just joined the forum and now that I see how busy it is, I am already worried! :-) I live in Manchester in the UK, although I am originally from Illinois. I guess I would consider myself a crochet person, since I have been crocheting since I was about 8 years old, but I am trying to get more into knitting. I have recently done my first pair of socks (for my son), with a lot of help from the vids on this site, and now have orders from other members of the family.
Peace
Julie

bammacarol
02-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone. I just joined and am looking forward to making new friends and learning alot from everyone. I've only been knitting about a month and have made a blanket, socks and my own version of sock slippers for my bf.
I have crocheted at leastm 10 yrs. and wanted to try something new so that's how I got into knitting.:knitting:

Hope everyone has a good day.

Carol (bammacarol) from PA

Shandeh
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

Did you find an ipod sock pattern? That sounds like a neat project.
Here are some ipod sock patterns:
http://www.grumperina.com/ipodcozy.htm
http://clickertyclick.blogspot.com/2006/07/at-last.html
http://chocnvodka.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/8/26/1172247.html
http://fuzzynoodleknits.typepad.com/photos/free_patterns/100_1634.html
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3429577,00.html
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=40714.0
http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000181.html
http://homepage.mac.com/klweaver/iblog/B1591549138/C698758499/E438152967/index.html
http://wendyknits.net/archives/636

I purchased the Ultimate knitting machine. Does anyone out there use this machine and if so where can I learn to use it.
I have an old Bond Knitting Machine, which is exactly like the new Ultimate Knitting Machine. I found some online websites that might help:
Videos and Books for Bond UKM (http://www.knittingtoday.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=USMRV)
Videos for using Knitting Machine (http://knitfits.theotherbell.com/bond-video-club.htm)
Knitty Article about Knitting Machine (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/FEATwin06KLM.html)
Bond Knitting Machine Info Page (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Woods/9835/knitting.html)
Free Bond Knitting Patterns (http://www.stephthornton.co.uk/knitting/bond/list/listhint.htm)
Bond Club Online (http://www.knittingtoday.com/BondClub/index.html)
Free USM Patterns on Bond Website (http://www.bond-america.com/projects/usm_proj/usm_project_index.html)

kellee0302
02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi, I have just joined this site. I'm almost 34 and recently married. I have a 13 year old son who thinks the only thing I have to do is knit him new things.(recently a sweater, that I completed in a week, which wasn't fast enough for him and wrist warmers). I also have 2 step daughters one is 14 and the other is 6 and has some very special needs. I love to knit, I find it very relaxing and have even taken it up at work during my breaks. I am also part of a knitting group that myself and some co-workers have just recently started. Most of the group have limited knitting skills so everyone brings their projects and I help them all out. So far it has been a lot of fun and we all look forward to our couple of hours on the weekend. Anything else anyone wants to know, jsut send me a message.

life
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
This site is the best in knitting instructions. I'm thankful to God, for this site is great. I love knitting.

FranzMag
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I started knitting in l970, and the journey with it's starts and stops, continues....
I purchased a computer 1 1/2 yrs. ago, and when I started knitting again, and looked for places for ideas and help.....well, I was pleasantly surprised to find this and other places with a plethora of what I was looking for....
Thank You for being here...and thank you to all who contribute here...
FranzMag:muah:

nonni
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Hello all,
What a wonderful site. Kudos to those who designed and run it. It's huge, but I am hopeful I can get the hang of it soon enough. So just by way of introduction, I have been a knitter since I was 7 or 8. That means I've been knitting off and on for the past 46 years or so. I was taught by my Norwegian grandmother and mother, who used to make FairIsle Norwegian sweaters without a pattern. A feat I am not even close to mastering. Mostly I love to start projects...that's my downfall. I have more yarn than I should ever admit, and it is my hope that through this site I may be inspired to stick-to-it a little better. On one set of needles right now is a patchwork baby blanket with giraffes...too cute. But needs to be done soon. OK, time to browse and then do some knitting.

Nonni:knitting:

mrsdrjackp
02-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out how to space my picked up stitches for the sleeve of a sweater. Pattern says to PU 64 stitiches and the st. to row gauge is 14 st. to 20 rows. so, how many rows do i need to skip to get only 64 stitches on this thing??? thank you and blessings!

suzeeq
02-24-2008, 12:24 AM
The usual ratio is 3 sts per 4 rows, or pu 3, skip 1. Sounds like yours is more like 4 sts to 5 rows which would be pickup 4, skip 1. Is that the pattern gauge or your actual rows/sts per inch?