PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

mrsdrjackp
02-24-2008, 01:01 AM
well...that is the pattern gauge. I have tried pu 3 skip 1 but that gave me 80+sts. i'll try pu 4 skip 1 (not til tomorrow tho!) and let you know. thanks for your reply:)

narnia
02-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey! just dropping in to introduce myself. very new to knitting. started 3 days ago. thought i was doing a knit stitch, turns out i was purling. for some reason the knit stitch is harder for me than the purl stitch. go figure. anyway, wanted to say that this site is very helpful and this is where i started to make progress after having visited 2 other sites that confused me more than anything else. very helpful amy. thank you.

yarnnme
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Hello! Thank you for having me! I have just posted a question in another thread and I am thankful for the very helpful replies. I am new to knitting and it is easy to see that I will be visiting this site often as I continue to learn. Thank you very much! :)

knittingymnast
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Welcome to KH, you all! :cheering:

lmsloman
02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey! just dropping in to introduce myself. very new to knitting. started 3 days ago. thought i was doing a knit stitch, turns out i was purling. for some reason the knit stitch is harder for me than the purl stitch. go figure. anyway, wanted to say that this site is very helpful and this is where i started to make progress after having visited 2 other sites that confused me more than anything else. very helpful amy. thank you.

Welcome! I'm a newbie myself. It's funny that you find the purl stitch easier than the knit stitch....I was the exact opposite, I struggled for an entire day trying to perfect the purl! Do you knit English or Continental style? http://knitting-patterns-techniques.suite101.com/article.cfm/english_vs_continental_style

woolylogic
02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Hello Everybody!
Just wanted to say hi. I'm really glad I've joined here, this seems like a good forum. Even though I'm on ravelry already this seems a little more friendly or something, also I don't like how their boards are organized. Anyway, so I hope this'll be fun, I think it will.

clleestma
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself... I've visited this site before, but hadn't registered until today. I have been "knitting" for a couple years... by that I mean that I can make scarves, and that's about it. I'm really looking forward to learning to make something more challenging, and it looks like you guys will be able to help me out! :woohoo:

ClaudiaKnits2
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
My name is Claudia, I'm a realively new knitter, but also truly addicted! I found this group when I ran into a problem joining two ends of a beaded scarf. The scarf is for a friend and I want it to be wonderful -- she's also a knitter and I know she would forgive any mistakes, but I'm sort of a perfectionist (which gets me into trouble).

Now my question is -- Would it be possible to do a Kitchener stitch to join the two ends when the work is k2 p2? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

RandomFolkRock
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Ooops - forgot to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while now. I'm new to knitting...still working on basic projects. But it's fun and I'm learning new things, so it's all good. Anyway. I'm from Texas and I spend most of my free time playing poker or knitting. Or doing both, if I'm at an online site. :) So...hi. :)

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone:hug:

Shandeh
02-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Welcome, new KHers! :hug:

Would it be possible to do a Kitchener stitch to join the two ends when the work is k2 p2? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
I would think that the kitchener stitch would work fine for that, but I'm no expert. You might want to post your question in the "How To" section of the forum.

karlajo
02-25-2008, 05:00 AM
:grphug:

Hi everyone! I'm a very new knitter and am very surprised & pleased to find this site. I've read so many "How To Knit" books but still get confused. Sometimes, the pictures just aren't clear enough. My aunt was a beautiful knitter & am excited to learn this skill. Hubby & I are RV'ing so knitting is very relaxing when we're traveling. I'm looking forward to meeting you in a forum just to chat or answer questions. My hubby is wondering where we can hide all my bags of yarn in this RV.:roflhard: I'm Addicted! ---- karlajo

dustinac
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
:woot: Welcome to KH, everyone!! :woot:

Viridian
02-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Hello, everyone. :)

I thought I'd introduce myself before I start peeking around and posting. I've always been a crocheter, since I was little, but for some reason, I didn't like it as much as I seem to like knitting (for some reason, I prefer two needles over a hook). This past weekend, an avid knitter friend sat me down and taught me how and I took to it like a duck in water!

Right now, I am planning a cross country drive and thought a knitting project would be a good idea. I'm moving to much colder Washington state, so I'm beginning a scarf of dark teal and dark plum. Maybe I'll take a picture of it when it's done.

Anyway, thought I'd say hello! Thanks for having me.

maughn
02-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Hey my name is SherryAnn but like Sherry better I started knitting in November 2006 and I only put the needles down when need to.I am a total K.A and love it:mrgreen:

Kye
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Thank You amy. My Name is Kye. I Live on the Big Island of Hawaii. I am 42, and I love to Sew, Crochet, Needle Point, and just now I'm leaning how to Knit. I love your website here, it has been very helpful to me in my learning to knit process. And the patterns are awsome too. I Hope that some day I'll be able to do them. Still learning for now though... I love that you have these forums, and chats etc. This is such a great a help, as I get stuck a lot. But thanks to your wonderful videos, I have leaned a lot now too. :) Thanks again so VERY much! Looking forward to making new friends here....

Kaillech
02-26-2008, 11:04 PM
:waving:

Hi everyone. I'm VERY new to knitting, just started trying to teach myself last night. Didn't go so well then so searched the net for help today at work and I have to say the videos here are awesome! If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have my first 2 rows of knitting done. So thank you VERY much for those.

Heather

Pjusken
02-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi everyone, I found this site a few days ago and have been lurking around ever since. Haven't posted yet (it's difficult to knit and type at the same time) but I look forward to being a part of this fantastic community!

I'm 27 years old and have been knitting since childhood. For some reason I had a problem with finishing my projects though, and through all these years I only finished three or four. I'll blame it on being a big scatter-head and losing interest too quickly. You'll never imagine how many unfinished jumpers I found lying around when I decided it was time to get serious with my knitting again!

When I became pregnant with my little girl last year and couldn't work, I somehow got the calm needed to actually finish anything. Since then I've been pretty manic I guess... I spend every free moment knitting and I'm absolutely loving it! I decided never to start a new project unless the last one was finished and by doing it that way I've now finished more objects than I can count. I mostly do children's clothing, in part because it's quick and you nearly always see the results right away, but mainly because babies and kids are just so cute wearing knits! Oh and I also produce massive amounts of socks, because my boyfriend just loves them!

-He's absolutely ecstatic about my new passion by the way, I've never liked flowers and he's had big problems figuring out what small things he can get me every now and then when others could give flowers... Now he just gets me a bag of yarn and I'm on cloud nine!-

Just recently I thought that perhaps there was some knitting-info to be found on the internet (after all, you can find ANYTHING on the internet) and I can't tell you how happy I was to see that there are actually many others like me out there! :D This site is wonderful, I've taken a look at the videos and I was actually amazed to realize there are so many different ways to knit! Somehow I always thought 'my way' was the only way...:aww:

So thanks for this wonderful site, I can't wait to partake and I'll conclude this with a picture of my little one, as you can see I'm doing my best to get her hooked early!

http://i25.tinypic.com/2pzznk3.jpg

BTW: I just want to apologize if my English isn't perfect, I'm coming to you from Iceland and English isn't my first (or second) language. ;)

selinechan
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi there...I wish I'd found this site when I started knitting a few months ago. I'm sure the hat I made for my bf would've turned out better looking :aww: Anyway, all the videos have helped hugely in my new project. Thanks so much!

Seline :muah:

Jeremy
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:hug:

BruinKnitter
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi! I just signed up today but I've been perusing for a while - I came here first for the videos. They've been a huge help for knitting in the round.

I've been knitting for a long time, since my grandma taught me when I was young, but I didn't really pick it up full force until after college. Now that there is a baby boom going off around me, I've been knitting blankets and baby beanies like crazy.

lacalagirl
02-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I am an 'out of practice' knitter, just coming back to the craft after about 2 years or so away from it as I have been busy settling down to life in Spain. I'm originally from England.

I found this forum while hunting for supplies and patterns online and I am so glad I did. I'm having fun reading everyone else's projects!

Currently I am at the starting assembly stage of a cardigan for my son for next winter (yes even here in Southern Spain it can get a bit chilly) and a matching hat is on the needles.

Anyhow just wanted to say hi

Rach :)

Shandeh
02-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Welcome, new members! cloud9

tracey43
02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi! Glad to have found this forum. I am an AVID knitter with most likely 5 projects on the go at any given time. My name is Tracey- I am from New Brunswick Canada. Glad to meet all of you.

glenda504
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
:knitting: :knitting: Hello:

I'm so new here, I had trouble getting into this box to answer your welcome!

I'm 69 years old. I have been crocheting and knitting for years, and I just joined the Mary and Martha Knitting at my church in Clarksburg, CA. this year. So now I am spending most of my time now knitting and crocheting like never before. We make baby hats, childens hats, booties, prayer shawls and much, much more for charity, friends and family. Busy, busy, busy!

amwbrider
02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just want to say hi. I am semi-new to knitting. I started as a kid and just recently picked it up again the past two years. I now have at least 4 projects going (all afghans) and I am going to try my first pair of socks and a sweater this year. Wish me luck!!!:happydance:
I also look forward to meeting ya'll and chatting away.

spiritseer
02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello, my name is Sandy, this is a wonderful site and very useful. My mom taught me how to knit and crochet but she is a lefty and i'm not so sometimes it's hard to figure out what she's trying to show me.

sabrinasmom
02-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone.

I have been knitting off and on for 15 years, mostly off. I love seeing what others are making and having a place to learn new things. Sabrina is my dog and my lap buddy while I am knitting. She is a Shih Tzu so she doesn't shed. Happy stitching!!

Dobedoop
02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Belinda, and is currently a University student from Australia. I'm a self-taught knitter and crocheter, the former largely due to the wonderful videos on this site! I'd like to add my thanks to the work put into this site!

andistarks
02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi all.... I am new to knitting and just joined a knitting group. I have been looking for something new and exciting. I have a great feeling that this is it. It is nice to find new sites to learn from. What a wonderful idea.....

donna910
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi! I have been knitting the majority of my 50+ years and am currently working with novelty yarns. To be specific I have a question about Yarn Bee's Decadence line. After washing as instructed, my hard work was ruined. Any other experiences out there would be appreciated. Thanks for welcoming me to this site. donna910

Shandeh
02-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I have a question about Yarn Bee's Decadence line. After washing as instructed, my hard work was ruined.
You poor thing! :pout: How frustrating! :help:

oblique
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

My name is Kay and I like to crochet, I just started knitting and really like it. This site is great. Thanks

ginnym
02-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi! I am Ginny from Pittsburgh. I am a SAHM to Maeve, 18 months. I am a self taught knitter. I love doing lace work and anything difficult. I hate seams, so I am currently knitting a sweater in the round.
Thanks for having me!

jade1994
02-29-2008, 07:28 PM
hi my name is hannah, im from ny
um i just started knitting... well actually i started when i was 8 but then i got bored but now i started getting into it again

i'm only 14 so my friends make fun of me but i got them hooked to hehe soo... yeah
um this site helpeed me remeber how to knit cause i totality blanked
:)

Juju
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi, I am brand new to this web site. Can anyone suggest a way to add stitches to a preexsisting purl row? I tried thumb method and you get a hole.

Thanks

bingonut
02-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone

My name is bingonut

I am a beginner knitter and need to learn quite a bit about knitting, hopfully this site will help me.

knittingpat
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
I think I'm going to really enjoy this site. I've already used the video section and I think it will be really helpful in bringing me up to date.
I have lots of interests, knitting is my current favorite, but a close second is needlework of just about any type. Our children are all grown and raising their own families so I can do stuff for fun now. Currently on my needles are: Lace shawl, a Reader's Stole, socks using my own pattern (actually parts of about 6 other patterns)a sweater I've been working on off and on for about 5+ years. And finally I just got the pattern for EZ Surprise Baby Jacket that I'll make for our first great grand son. And finally I want to learn to spin, first I'll try to master the spindle and go from there. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new people. "Knittingpat"

suzeeq
02-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi, I am brand new to this web site. Can anyone suggest a way to add stitches to a preexsisting purl row? I tried thumb method and you get a hole.

You can knit them on, like the Knitted CO shown in the video. Turn the work around and put the right needle in your left hand, knit into the st on the end, but don't slip it off the needle, put the new st on the left needle. Repeat for as many stitches as you need, then swap the needle back to your right hand.l

tess
03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi my name is tess. I am getting back into knitting after years of not having the time for it. I have discovered that I enjoy learning new stiches and trying different patterns. I find myself getting stuck on learning the new stiches and it is nice to go somewhere to ask questions and learn new patterns

maidenrenee
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM
HELLO. I'M A BEGINNER SO BARE WITH ME.

msknitter
03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi! I'm a newish knitter. This website videos are terrific and wish I found it at first to try to learn knitting!! I am self taught and it took me forever to learn. But I'm so glad to learn! I'm throw more than pick but I'll switch if I get bored. My biggest problem is fixing errors. I have unraveled stuff to far and can't seem to figure out where a row starts. Any help with error corrections is fabulous!

I also love Knitty.com they have wonderful patterns. I really like cables and would like to work with them mostly.

Thanks for the wonderful website! :happydance:

ChristineC
03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Hello from CT I am new as well and a beginner although I should be beyond that now,,,believe it or not I am amidextrious and have a real problem knitting etc..now after that excuse I need to get the basics down right and am really wanting to learn to make a hat or slippers for the kids 4 and 11....:knitting:
Help,,any and all help will be surely appreciated!
Christine :muah:

Shandeh
03-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Hello everyone! I hope you like it here! :hug:

MileHiMom
03-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks so much for this site!!! I found the answer to my question before I even introduced myself.

mamibabe
03-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a new knitter. I have been knitting for two months. Great to find a website to help me get started. Now i'm getting the hang of this.

weebleroxanne
03-02-2008, 06:52 AM
'Lo everyone! I'm RoxAnne from Arkansas :D I've been crocheting for seven years and I've been knitting since Feb 14th of this year :D

My mother taught me to crochet and I taught myself knitting with the help of this website. Now it's my turn to teach my mum.

I'm working on a simple garter stitch scarf for my gram. It's coming out great. I posted pictures of it here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76590)

Nice to meet y'all!

RoxAnne

luv2knit2
03-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you Amyfor this site. Of course one of my knit shop owners led me to this site. I've been to it many times, just to browse and for help. I keep getting email messages saying something to the effect I've not visited the site in a while. Besides just trying to find the time, I was looking for a place to enter my first post. This turned out to be it!!! I'll be back when I get more acclimated to the different places to post, etc.

PJean59
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello! My name is Peggy and I am new to the forum and knitting. Currently, trying to work with a "bulky" yarn and could REALLY use some advice!

Thanks!

labibliotecaria
03-03-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm a displaced Texas living in Gainesville, Florida. One of the best things about this town in Hank's, the nice LYS. I just learned to knit at Thanksgiving and this site has been very helpful.

Naughty
03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
hi,
I am Naughty, I can't believe I've never seen it before, What a fantastic site. It is really working good. I am very much interested in knitting. since I am a beginner i was learning the basic from you videos. thank you sooo much for you videos!!

but now i am facing a big problem to view your videos, since i was watching your videos before then i took a small break (i went for my vacattion). After my return i was trying to open your videos but its not loading. iam only able to see the loading screen on black background. iam very much abset..... i don't know what to do!!please please guide me. what i should do... i am eagarle waiting for your reply..... so please mail me sooo bye

:teehee:

suzeeq
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Hello! My name is Peggy and I am new to the forum and knitting. Currently, trying to work with a "bulky" yarn and could REALLY use some advice!

Thanks!

Hi Peggy. If you post your question about bulky yarn and the problems you're having with it in the General Knitting or How To forums more people will see it.

Welcome to you and the other new people.

dustinac
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Welcome Everyone to KH!! :yay:

Naughty, I'm not sure why your not able to view them this time...I'd wait a bit and try it again and see...since you were able to view them before your vacation :thumbsup:

aztec_judy
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
In answer to NAUGHTY N EVERYONE ELSE ...
If you are having this kind of problem sometimes its because you have NOT cleaned out your computer. OK ??
I am NOT sure where to post on here .. so whom ever knows please repost ok thankssssss ...

PROBLEM: CAN NOT SEE ANYTHING IS ALOT OF TIMES CAUSE THE TEMP FILES - - COOKIES -- AND HISTORY HAS GOTTEN FULL .. OK ??
THIS IS FOR THE BIG "E" INTERNET EXPLORER PEOPLE.
GO TO TOOLS ::
GO TO INTERNET OPTIONS : :
GO TO BROWSING HISTORY : :
CLICK ON THE DELETE BUTTON.
A WINDOW WILL COME UP AND CLICK ON THE BUTTONS FOR : :
DELETE BUTTONS UNDER :
TEMPORARY FILES - COOKIES - HISTORY ...
EACH TIME YOU CLIK ON ONE OF THE BUTTONS A WINDOW WILL COME UP ASKING YOU IF YOUR SURE .. CLICK YES.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS IT CAN TAKE A FEW MINUTES OK??? ALLOW IT TO DO ITS THING
ALSO DO YOU DEFRAG YOUR COMPUTER ??????? THAT CAN ALSO STOP THINGS FROM COMING UP !!!!!

psipsina
03-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Hello! I've been lurking here for a bit but finally had a question to post so I figured I'd introduce myself at the same time. I've been knitting since fall 2005 but haven't spent much time at it since I'm also a medical student. My best friend taught me to knit and purl and a basic cable and sent me on my way. My first project was a cabled scarf, and then I did a Debbie Bliss bolero pattern. The next winter I made an amazing cabled scarf but that was all because it was my first year of medical school and I got quite overwhelmed in my time management. This year I suddenly got inspired to pick it up again and have three projects in the works. I'm knitting a pair of felted ballet slippers, a slouchy rasta cap, and a herringbone sweater vest thanks to my aunt who hooked me up with a nice stash of yarn and a few new books and accessories as my b-day present. I'm pretty excited about the later two because I'm totally tweaking these patterns more than I ever have before. For the cap I'm using a rasta hat pattern but I'm changing the stitch to include a cool pillar pattern and adding a brim. For the vest I'm using a heavier yarn than called for in the pattern and instead of color work I'm doing a herringbone pattern. I'm also making the V-neck deeper than called for in the pattern to make it more in style. Its pretty exciting to venture into the wilds of not following a pattern to the t. So far I've really enjoyed figuring everything out and planning everything.

Naughty
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Thank you aztec_judy and dustinac for your kind reply. as you told i have tryed 2 software to clean my laptop, but still i am faceing the same problem as before.
iam also sure about my system status.it really working good. i really dont know why its happening to me alone. i will keep trying....:grphug:

Jan in CA
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Naughty, you aren't the only one this happens, too. Some systems just seem to be problematic when it comes to the videos. Since you are having problems with them check out these sites for more knitting help.

KH also has several videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/knittinghelp

More help -
http://www.knitpicks.com/Content/index.php
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html
http://www.knittingtipsbyjudy.com/kitchener%20video.html

katknit
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi, I'm Linda from CT and have been knitting and crocheting since I learned from my mom when I was little. This looks like a great site with lots of great people, and I look forward to getting to know and share with you all.
:waving:

Jeremy
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Linda. I live in Norwich.:hug:

novice stitcher
03-05-2008, 04:44 PM
So glad I found this site - trying to teach myself to knit so I can make myself a tea cosy (among other things LOL) and was feeling SOOOO dumb when I couldn't get past the cast on. Still watching the videos and hope to learn more and glad there is a forum here!

Thanks!

Jenn :knitting: cloud9
Listowel, Ontario, Canada
(where it is currently 27ºF with a wind-chill of 18ºF and I really don't feel like going outside LOL)

Jeremy
03-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Welcome Jenn.:hug:

Cynamar
03-06-2008, 03:09 AM
My name is Cyndi. I'm a brand-new knitter. I've wanted to learn for years but just am learning. I'm completely obsessed with yarn! I've already accumulated a huge stash--thanks to the awesome prices at knitpicks.com and great sales at Hobby Lobby (got a ton of Yarn Bee stuff for .99 each). Knitpicks is a sickness for me. I am stockpiling their Wool Of The Andes. I've always been a natural fibers freak and it is carrying over to my yarn stash (except some fun stuff--like the sale Yarn Bee). This is not going to be a cheap hobby! I am also obsessed with felting. I want to felt everything. I want to make sweaters for myself so badly but I am especially anxious to master socks and doggie sweaters.

I am a single mom in St. Louis to Julianne, who will be 15 in May. I keep busy with all of her activities. She is a cheerleader for football ad basketball and just started soccer season (I grabbed all of the sale-priced Y.B. eyelash yarn H.L. had in her school colors to make scarves for the football moms). We have a dog, Abby, who just turned 6 and who is my baby. Abby is a llasa-apso/poodle mix. I am a working mom but am currently unemployed and looking. My company closed my office over the winter.

I look forward to getting to know you gals and to learning from you!

beachgoddessme
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I AM JUST STARTING OUT,LEARNING WITH BOOKS AND VIDEOS. I HAVE CAST ON, KNIT DOWN PRETTY GOOD, BUT PEARL IS GIVIVG ME TROUBLE!! IHAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO LEARN TO KNIT, SO I FINALLY TRIED TO DO IT WITH LIBRARY BOOKS AND VIDEO. I AM LOOKING FOWARD TO LEARNING AND SHARING WITH ALL YOU.

Shandeh
03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Welcome everyone! Enjoy the forum! :hug:

knmmits
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I am a beginnner -- truly!!! I get stuck so many times its not funny!!! When does this become relaxing????? Right now I lost my first stitch from a row on a scarf I was knitting. Now I guess I really do not know how to get it back and start the row?
Any help?
Thanks -Karen

LDale
03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Hello,
I'm new at knitting, but have crocheted for many years. My first project was a knitted scarf. It worked out fairly well, few mistakes. I am now working on an open vest pattern and a pull-over vest. I have made lots of mistakes and have done a lot of ripping out, but am learning from them. I love the videos on this site as they have shown me many of the mistakes that I have made. I wish I had seen this first. I have a little trouble understanding the directions, but am hoping to learn from others as I go along.

LDale
03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Hello Karen
Believe me, I have been ready to give up many times, but I have been watching the videos on this site and they have really helped me. You might try watching the video for dropped stitches. Don't know if that will help you or not. Keep trying and don't give up....it does get better with a lot of ripping and practice. I find that you really have to look at your work as you do it and it will help you recover mistakes. I also bought a book called Knitting for Dummies and I love it. Happy Knitting!

Shandeh
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I am a beginnner -- truly!!! I get stuck so many times its not funny!!! When does this become relaxing????? Right now I lost my first stitch from a row on a scarf I was knitting. Now I guess I really do not know how to get it back and start the row?
Any help? Thanks -Karen

This is your first project, so it's not going to look perfect. Just forgive yourself for mistakes, and keep practicing. If you want, you could just make a square instead of a scarf, and use it as a potholder or hotpad. Then, you could start again, to make a scarf.

My first project was not perfect, and I learned a LOT.

Watch knitting videos, and play them over and over again while you practice. One day, it will just "click". :thumbsup:

Good luck! :wink:

Crafty_Mel
03-07-2008, 02:49 AM
:woohoo: I think I got it down now!!! The magic Loop that is! thank you for all these awesome videos I would have never learned to knit otherwise photos are just not good enough for me.

Well i'm new here but have been using the videos for a while now and am on a knitting obsession. lol! I have only been really knitting for a few months the first go at it was early last year but I got to frustrated and put it a way but i picked it up again and have been working on my tension consistancy and made a few dishcloths and hats and now I want to make SOCKS!!! its all I can think about and funny thing is I am usually barefoot (Can't really stand anything on my feet except when I go out). and of cours i'm not going to do it on dpns why would i fus with that when I can do it on one circ? got my practice sock already on the go and it is looking good.;)

Irish
03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I just found out about this site last night at the yarn shop. I have tried over the years to teach myself knitting with less than stellar results. Now I have the Yarn Garden and this site. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Claire
03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi everybody :hug:
my name is Claire and I'm from Dublin, Ireland :muah: sooo glad to have found this forum. I've been lurking for a while but now that I've finally started to actually knit, I decided to introduce myself. I am a complete novice and at the moment I am trying to knit a doggie sweater on circular needles but I am having trouble figuring out which is the RS and which is the WS (don't ask!!) :roflhard: I look forward to chatting to everyone on here and maybe I'll even figure out how to complete this doggie sweater.

violet_thistle
03-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Hello Everyone! I'm from Hiram, Georgia and have been knitting for about 1.5 months. I've got about 3 WIPs - hopefully I'll get one of them done soon! I have taken classes at my not so local LYS, but am looking to branch out on my own a little more and start learning on my own. I want to get into socks, colorwork, and lacework. Right now, I'm trying to find out what it means to "slip" a stitch. Off to scour the boards!

suzeeq
03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone!

Violet, slipping a stitch just means to move it from one needle to the other without knitting or purling in it.

Readnknit
03-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Greetings! I am Readnknit. Moved to rural Tenn. about a year ago and picked up my needles after about 30 years. I haven't been in touch before because I have more trouble with the computer than I have with my knitting. I need help!

Trying to knit socks starting from the toe. Have done quite well until now. My gusset increases are fine but I am lost with the short row heel. ??? The wrap and turn have me very confused.

Someone suggested watching a video on Knitting Help. How do I find that video??

I appreciate any help!

Shandeh
03-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Trying to knit socks starting from the toe. Have done quite well until now. My gusset increases are fine but I am lost with the short row heel. ??? The wrap and turn have me very confused. Someone suggested watching a video on Knitting Help. How do I find that video??

Amy has a video about short rows here. (go down the page and look for "Short Row with Wrap":
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques?

I also found a video on YouTube about making a short row heel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuBUP2ulNDs

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Cairadawn
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Everyone... I have been meaning to come and introduce myself for some time now, but sometime the urge to lurk is to strong.

I have been knitting for almost a year now which all started with a Harry Potter scarf! I admit I am addicted to anything Harry Potter! Now I am on my second Harry Potter Scarf for my mother and my second pair of socks.

I had to teach myself to knit because no one that I knew knit. I never thought I was going to be able to knit in the first place... I have Cerebral Palsey and having to use both hands is something that can be difficult. I have surprised myself.

Since there is no local knitting shop in my area to go for help I needed to get all my information on the internet, which is how I found this wonderful site. The videos and the forums have been a great sourse of information. I thank everyone that had a hand in this site.

dustinac
03-08-2008, 01:18 AM
:woohoo: Welcome Everyone!!

Cairadawn~:hug: I hope I do see you posting more and more...this is a wonderful site and everyone is so helpful. Many of us learned by watching Amy's videos. I think it's wonderful that you learned and still knitting no matter what. Welcome to the forum :happydance:

pegcam2000
03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Although I am new to message boards, I love knitting.. I'm sure I'll learn all about this way of talking to others who love to knit. :grphug:

pegcam2000
03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
When you are knitting in the round (circular needles) you are always on the right side. That's what's great about circular needles. Just remember to mark your beginning so you'll know when a row begins.

candles2
03-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you so much for having a place I can interact with other knitters. I started learning over christmas and have no personal help available. so thank you for being there.

violet_thistle
03-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone!

Violet, slipping a stitch just means to move it from one needle to the other without knitting or purling in it.

I knew it had to be such an easy thing to hardly need an explanation, but I guess everyone needs to know the first time. Thanks!!!

xo.brandy.xo
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi:)
I'm new to all this knitting stuff so I'll probably be going on this site lots for help.
My best friend introduced me to knitting a couple weeks before Christmas so I was so excited when I got new colourful yarn for as a present.
I still have lots of troubles and make lots of mistakes...:frog:
My last one i just finished and came to this site to figure out how to bind off, it has lots of holes :(

Now I'm confused as to how to cast on... the video did no help to me...
could someone please try to explain it in very simple terms

dhc93908
03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello Amy,

I went to a knitting class yesterday and was afraid once I got home I'd be lost since I needed so much help at the class. My knitting came to a roaring halt less than 5 minutes into picking up the project once I got home. Arghh! I don't give up easily so I did a search online and found you. Your videos are fabulous. I was taught the English version in class. I kept saying how awkward it felt since I'm left handed and was told by 3 different experienced knitters that being left or right handed makes no difference since the needles are held in both hands. I'm not totally convinced since my right hand seemed to be doing most of the work but I'm determined to "get it right".

I tried the Continental method but decided to stick with the English. My problem at the moment is that my stitches are getting so tight that I can't even move them down the needle. I've taken my "scarf to be" apart umpteen times paying close attention to not pulling to tight the yarn. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Like I said, I'm NOT giving up. My mantra is "I will be a master knitter.".

Ingrid
03-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome!

Take a look at how you're wrapping your stitches. If you're wrapping them clockwise rather than counter-clockwise, then you'd be twisting your stitches and making them too tight to knit.

The yarn should come from around the back of the right needle.

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes you could be wrapping sts the wrong direction which makes them tighter. Also, are you pulling the yarn tight after you make a stitch? Don't, it doesn't need an extra tug. And don't keep ripping out, that just makes things all the more frustrating. Keep going and focus on making the sts looser.

dhc93908
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I appreciate the helpful suggestions. As I said, I won't give up.

Jeremy
03-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Also, rethink using continental method. For many people, including me, it leads to a much looser stitch.

Lynnellen
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
I am an old weaver, but a new kntter. Saw some knitted lace and became nuts for it. Wanted to learn to knit, and knit lace! So far, I have made some samples and am beginning to learn knitting, as I learn lace. The Lace is going to be harder than the general knitting, but decoding, learning to read the charts, making the charts, etc. is keeping me busy! Hope to hear from another lace-mad creature. Lynnellen

Lynnellen
03-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I am an old weaver, but a new kntter. Saw some knitted lace and became nuts for it. Wanted to learn to knit, and knit lace! So far, I have made some samples and am beginning to learn knitting, as I learn lace. The Lace is going to be harder than the general knitting, but decoding, learning to read the charts, making the charts, etc. is keeping me busy! Hope to hear from another lace-mad creature. Lynnellen
Where do you want me to put down my e-mail and keep it confidential. I registered it when I got a password. Don't see a place to put it.

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Lynellen, you can click on User settings way up on the left top of the page and add your email, set your timezone, change the way you view the forums and lotsa other things.

Mrs.H
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone, I'd like to re-introduce myself once again as it's been at least 6 months since I've been active on this forum. Since my last entry my life's been rather crazy, let's start with the happy things. I have my newest grandson Shaun, he joined our family on Oct 18, and then my snl Justin came home from Iraq a couple of days before Thanksgiving. That was the good stuff, now here comes the bad. My not so dear hubby ended up in the VA hospital with a non-healing ulcer in his foot, in the last part of Oct.. Mostly due to the fact that he doesn't take care of his medical problems. To make a long story short(and avoid a huge rant session), he lost his leg(that was the only one he had left), and was in the hospital until he moved to a nursing home just before Christmas. He's now back at home, to the amazement of all involved, including his doctors. I've been knitting along almost the entire time. I've knitted a lot of slipper socks, and made a poncho for my youngest(age 2) granddaughter. I also knitted a 100 inch long "Dr.Who" scarf for my daughter who just moved to the Great Lake Naval Base with her DH Justin. I knitted it with worsted weight pure alpaca that I bought from Lavish Yarns. It was light as a feather, and she reports that it is as warm and cozy as can be. As to my current WIP, I'll post that 411 later in that section of the forum.
Linda

L84me2
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for a great site!! I've been knitting for about 2 yrs now and put a shortcut to your site on my desktop so if I got stuck you were just a double click away!! Keep up the great work!!

lappl22
03-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I am trying to find the place to introduce myself and to get answers to my many questions. I started knitting again after a 2year hiatus and really need help. I started a scarf(natch) usihng 2 balls of yarn and the tangling, despite plastic bags for each, is driving me crazy. I just ripped about 6 inches and am demoralized since the stitches were murder to get back on needles and now the 3 HAS GROWN.

lappl22
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi, I am trying to intro mywelf and m having navigation trouble on this site. I really want to use it to help my knitting problems as well as for fun

Shandeh
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone, I'd like to re-introduce myself once again as it's been at least 6 months since I've been active on this forum.
Welcome back! :hug:

I started a scarf(natch) usihng 2 balls of yarn and the tangling, despite plastic bags for each, is driving me crazy. I just ripped about 6 inches and am demoralized since the stitches were murder to get back on needles and now the 3 HAS GROWN.
You're learning how to hold the needles, hold the yarn, do the stitches, and keep the yarn from untangling. That's a LOT! Maybe you should work on a scarf with just ONE yarn for a while. Good luck!
Hi, I am trying to intro mywelf and m having navigation trouble on this site. I really want to use it to help my knitting problems as well as for fun
Welcome! :) Maybe you should spend a while just reading the forum....check out all the different parts and just relax while reading. I bet that it will start to make sense after that.

You might like using the "Search" feature for the forum, to look up things you want to learn about. There are THREE search buttons at the top of this page. The top search is for the entire Knitting Help website. The next search button (with a little magnifying glass) just searches the FORUM. The third search only looks in this particular discussion.

janet60
03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I a:cheering: m very glad that this site is hear I live in scotland a place called fife the time zones are different but Iwould love you to reply to my questions I have forgoten how to read a graph do I read fromleft to right or do Ijust read and knit frim the right

Rubie
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello to all! I am also new here and so far I am liking it so much. I live in Indiana and I am a retired auto worker. I love knitting and all crafts, and just learning to knit socks. Nice to meet you. Rubie

Shandeh
03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I have forgoten how to read a graph do I read fromleft to right or do Ijust read and knit frim the right
Usually, you start with the bottom row, and read right to left.

Then, on the next row up, you read left to right.

You continue that way until you reach the top of the chart.

o0Sparrow0o
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I love to knit! I'm a lefty and I pretty much taught myself. I've done quite a number of small projects, mittens, socks, shawls, doilies, bags, toys, necklaces... My latest craze is lace knitting! I love it! I've made a number of doilies. They are nice fast projects and loads of fun! The neat thing about them is you can't have a finished doily with a mistake in it. Because of the way they work up you can't knit the next round if you made a mistake in the last one. I've also made a shawl out of Alison Jeppson Hyde's "Wrapped in Comfort". My next lace project is going to be The Shetland Tea Shawl out of Meg Swansen's "Gathering of Lace". But I've got to finish the mittens I'm working on. I gave myself my word that I wouldn't start another lace project till I'd finished the projects I have going. =P

This site is a gem! I've only been here two days and I love it already! I really look forward to getting to know everyone. :woot:

annikah
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi! My name is Annika i'm 28 and i live in the Netherlands.
I join this forum because i ( just like the rest of you all;) )love to knit!:knitting:

Shandeh
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Usually, you start with the bottom row, and read right to left.

Then, on the next row up, you read left to right.

You continue that way until you reach the top of the chart.

One note about this: If you're knitting in the round, you'll always read the chart from right to left, on every row.

midsummer623
03-11-2008, 10:05 PM
New to site and to knitting. I've dreamed of knitting sweaters for years. Turning 50 this summer...better get with it! Had my first knitting lesson last weekend.

Terrycap
03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Hello!

My name is Terry and I am a new member to this site. I was so thankful to find it on line this past weekend. I am a new knitter and could not proceed further without some help. I have a so called tutor helping me but she has been unavailable. I reviewed many sites but this one was the only one that I could understand and learn the stitch I was trying to master. I am happy to have another resource so that I can keep knitting. It's become somewhat addictive. I look forward to sitting down once I get home and doing nothing but. Crazy isn't it? I look forward to chatting with others that enjoy this hobby.

brenda1244
03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
just wanted to introduce myself to the group

my name is brenda
from essex,maryland
hoping to enjoy this site:heart:
i'm just learning to :knitting:

Shandeh
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Welcome, new KHers! :muah:

Ashley13
03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi All~

I am so happy to have found this website. I wish I had known about it years ago! My name is Ashley, I have been knitting for approximately 12 years. I am currently working on a lace knit shawl, a basic shawl, some linus project patches and a blanket for my daughter. I have 4 children. 1 boy and 3 girls. Their ages are 5, 4, 2 & 1. So I need my knitting to keep my sanity in this house :woot:

I look forward to posting around here!

PaulaM01
03-13-2008, 09:23 AM
i am a new here. but i been using video alot. And I decide to join.

lovingladybugs
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
This is my first Knitting forum. I must say, it is well done. I am glad to be here. There is a lot of useful information here and I can't wait to read it all!!! I have been knitting about 7 years, off and on, nothing big nothing to difficult. We are recently pregnant and I am working on baby clothes. Great site!!!

RadarEars
03-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Hello, :waving:

I'm Jill, I'm from the UK and I was taught to knit by my late Mum when I was four and I taught myself to crochet at about nine years ago, because of everything Mum could do (which was a lot) she couldn't get the hang of crocheting !

I'n fifty this year, so I've lost count of the things I've made :knitting: !!!!!!!!!!

I want to ask a question, so I'm going to go over to the appropriate forum.

Bye for now.

Jill

Paige
03-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Hello, :waving:
This is my first post and I am so glad to have found this web site and forum! I am brand new to knitting. My good friend is teaching me but I don't see her every day and she lives 30 minutes away......so, well I have not accomplished much yet!

The little I have done (Making a scarf), I have torn out numerous times in frustration :hair: but I am determined to learn! I have read that knitting is an excellent way to deal with anxiety, and I can't wait to not fret over mistakes!

wellslipmystitches
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi to all, Have been knitting, off and on, for a number of years and still seem to always have more questions than answers. Since leaping into cyberspace recently "A funny thing happened on the way to the forum". This site has all the answers and now with your expert help I'm becoming much more daring with my projects. Have adapted and designed some patterns to suit my taste as well as tackled some previously "too tough" projects. Many "tips" have saved me hours already plus cut down considerably on my "knit snits" - you know, the ones that make you throw yarn, needles etc. across the room and consider poking a dirty needle in your eye- and I look forward to learning a great deal more. Happy to know you and appreciate the opportunity. Jean

Jeremy
03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Welcome everyone, we're glad you're here
:hug:

sugaryb
03-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello everyone.

I've been knitting since the end of January and I have a few projects on the go.

I am knitting a scarf, a blanket for my soon-to-be-born nephew as well as mittens, booties and a hat.

I have no problems with the blanket and scarf or the mittens.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures at some point soon.

I originally went to John Lewis' to buy some wool and there was a nice lady who actually taught me the basics and various different stitchs which has been very handy and i have been returning there week on week for assistance.

Overall, I am loving the knitting!

Claire0817
03-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, it's my first time here. I want to learn how to knit, so I'm just beginning my journey. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book for a true beginner? I read in a post that someone suggested a book for Dummies, but I also read that there were errors in the patterns. Should I get the Dummie book or is there a suggestion for another one?
Thank you

aztec_judy
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I myself, have not paid attention to the Dumby Book .. OK ???
But there is a book called : I Taught Myself to Knit.
And if it is as the crochet one by almost the same title then it should be a fairly nice one to have on hand. And it will have patterns in it for you to practice with too.
I heard the videos on here are great alsooooo .. so try them out ..
have funnnnnnn and take your time, its NOT something that can be learnt like over a few minutes .. lol it will take time and once learned there is sooooooo much that you can have fun doing ...
welcome aboardddddddddd .......

MamaCrochets
03-15-2008, 03:37 PM
My name is Barb. I found this site and have used it before but can't find what I found before! LOL I'm looking forward to getting some help with my kitting as I'm a crocheter who learned to knit about 2 yrs ago.

lynnknitwit
03-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi, I'm Lynn Zuckerman, and my passion is "KNITWITS" .I teach knitting at the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge ,Tampa, Fl. Using sz 17 needles,funky yarn,and laughter, I teach patients and caregivers the joy of knitting. Everybody learns. Spirits and self esteem soar!!I have stocked up on clearanced yarn, but lately I have been, begging, borrowing(not yet ) stealing, desperate for needles.I teach3-4 times per month, folllowing up each session with a KNIT911 for the newbies.

Shandeh
03-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book for a true beginner?
I would suggest looking at knitting books at your local library, or a good bookstore. Everyone learns differently. You'll probably find the perfect book if you can see a good variety of them.

And as Aztec Judy said, just use the videos here on this website. They are great! Amy spent a LOT of time making them, and they really are good for learning to knit. It's like you are right there, looking over her shoulder as she knits. You can play them over and over again, with yarn and needles in your hands....practicing.

Just click the 2nd big tab at the top of this page. The one that says, "View Videos".

Good luck! :thumbsup:

anniep
03-16-2008, 02:14 AM
Hello!

This seems like a great place for me to start my knitting! I've been knitting for a while now but have never attempted anything significant! I'm about to start on a sweater for my boyfriend. We'll see how I go, maybe I'll check in in the next few years and let you know how I'm going. Just kidding!

AnnieXX

Debkcs
03-16-2008, 02:31 AM
Hi Annie, Welcome to Knitting Help!

If you have any questions, or just want to hang around with those who are fiber obsessed, come back often. There is always someone here, stalking the halls

We have the best mods in the world, who can answer questions for you.

Sheilae
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
My name is Sheila and I live in England. I have been knitting for years (I,m 60) but had a break for a while and started knitting again about 6 months ago. I only wish I'd found this site earlier. I have been struggling to get neat buttonhole on a mogair cardi I am knitting and found the great video on how to do neat buttonholes. I work part time in an office, am married and have a number of Birman cats, my husband and I used to breed and show but gave that up about 12 months ago as it was getting to be hard work.
Now that I've found this great site I will be a regular visitor.
Regards to all, Sheila

hestersthread
03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to start a new thread in order to ask a "how to" question. This website has been incredibly helpful while I'm learning to knit, but I've come upon a problem that I can't find a specific video for.

JanetSue
03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi all,
I've been knitting since my Grandma taught me, 40 years ago, but only simple stuff. Now that I'm a grandma myself, I have time and desire to try some new projects. I love this website and the helpful videos!! Already I've learned several new techniques and stitches. I never knew about the continental way of holding the yarn, etc.

I wonder if any of you have seen a knitting tote like my mom used to have in the 1960's. It was a tall (18-20") tubular case with a lid that clipped shut, kind of like a little suitcase. There was a hole in the lid, finished with a smooth grommet. Mom stored the ball of yarn inside the case and fed the end of the yarn out through the hole. It was large enough to store a small project and tall enough to hold the knitting needles. I have been searching online, but haven't come across anything like this. Any leads out there?
Thanks,
JanetSue

Jeremy
03-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to start a new thread in order to ask a "how to" question. This website has been incredibly helpful while I'm learning to knit, but I've come upon a problem that I can't find a specific video for.

Welcome to the forum:hug:

To ask a How to question, go to the How to Forum. Look for button on the upper left hand side of the page that is labeled "new thread" Click on it. A screen will appear and you can fill in the title of your thread eg. "question about how to cast on" and then fill in your question below. Good luck

Jeremy
03-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:hug:

westie
03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi,
I'm westie and having a heckuva time getting logged in and going in the chat. I think I've done it right, I've logged in but when I post in the introduce yourself thread I get the message that i don't have permission to be on the site.

can anyone help?
tks

Shandeh
03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I wonder if any of you have seen a knitting tote like my mom used to have in the 1960's. It was a tall (18-20") tubular case with a lid that clipped shut, kind of like a little suitcase. There was a hole in the lid, finished with a smooth grommet. Mom stored the ball of yarn inside the case and fed the end of the yarn out through the hole. It was large enough to store a small project and tall enough to hold the knitting needles. I have been searching online, but haven't come across anything like this. Any leads out there?

Hi, JanetSue! :waving:
I've seen a few things like that on eBay occasionally, but they are all vintage. Nothing new.

JeanneInGlensFalls
03-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Hello,
By way of introducing myself...I've knit since I was 8 when my next door neighbor and I knit for our Barbie dolls. Now I mostly knit for neices, godsons, things like that. And for me.
So, I'm wondering if it's OK to ask about yarn I'm in need of...is there any kind of swap area on this forum? I've run short of yarn for 2 projects, and am trying to find the particular yarns in the particular dye lots. Is it OK to post about that? I've checked my local yarn stores, lots of stores on line, and am not finding them. Any thoughts?
Thank you very much,
Jeanne

lulu5156
03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome. I am the Felting Editor for Craft Gossip and I want to introduce myself and our site. We cover many crafts and one of them is knitting and felting your knits. I do books reviews and feature knitters like the people on this forum. I cover shops and do give-a-ways. Noni of Noni Knitting design sent me several amazing knitting pattern that I will be giving away. I posted my first give-a-ways today and hope you all stop by and take a look see you will be welcomed with open arms. Just tell us why you would like this designer pattern, and you may win it :) I will be giving away several of Noni’s Patterns and I will let know when I post each pattern.

http://felting.craftgossip.com/2008/03/18/noni-designer-pattern-give-away/

If any of you do felted knits or felting and would like to be features on my site, drop me a line at lulu5156@adelphia.net.

Regards,
Linda

AnimaInsolita
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey. My name is Aimée Leilani. I learned to knit (English style) when I was younger. My mom taught me. I used to make all sorts of things, but I gave it up for several years. It's been approximately fourteen years since I last knit anything. So, I'm reteaching myself. I'm sort of drawn to the Continental Style, so I'm working on learning that way (which is very new to me). I went out and got a bunch of new needles and took out my basket filled with yarn.

I started back to English Style (the way I was taught), and began a scarf (ribbed) for my boyfriend. I've practiced a few other stitches by making small swatches. My boyfriend stole every swatch I made and keeps them by his computer. He loves the feel of sweaters. :woot:

I also figure someday I'll have children, and I'll want to make them some nice knitted things. So I'll need to learn to knit faster. Continental style is good for that. Plus, it looks more fluid to me - I like that.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I'm 24, live on the Northern East Coast (USA), and enjoy making things.

Shandeh
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
So, I'm wondering if it's OK to ask about yarn I'm in need of...is there any kind of swap area on this forum? I've run short of yarn for 2 projects, and am trying to find the particular yarns in the particular dye lots. Is it OK to post about that? I've checked my local yarn stores, lots of stores on line, and am not finding them. Any thoughts?
Hi Jeanne! You might want to post your question in the "Buy/Sell/Swap" area of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

My boyfriend stole every swatch I made and keeps them by his computer. He loves the feel of sweaters. :woot:
Cool! A fella that likes your knitted work. Ya gotta love that! :thumbsup:

Maegy
03-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Hi,

This is an amazing site. I like it.

I am not also knitting, presently socks, but also sewing, but have no time, I am knitting during my travel with the bus to the office.

Best regards
Maegy

michelle38
03-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Hello everyone:-P :waving: , just a quick introduction about myself.
my name is michelle, i'm 38 this year and have 1 daughter aged 10 this april. I have been knitting on and off for a good few years. i love knitting but i am by no means an expert. at the mo, i am trying to knit two cardigans (separately). wish me luck!! and i seriously hope to finish them before xmas this year. (started last year:teehee: ).

take care and i'll check in again.

michelle

Keevanswife
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello everyone!! I am Alicia, 25 with 2 kids. I live in Arkansas. I just got my knitting supplies from the store today and can't wait to get started. I have been practicing cast on's. I am excited about learning how to knit. I figure if I learn how to knit, it will not only give me a hobby, but I can make cute things for my friends and my children. Nice to meet you all!

CynCrafter
03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Hello to all,
I have been knitting for a little over a year and just love this site. I figured it was about time to be part of the community.
I take some knitting classes and don't have to wait for the next class for help...thanks to the great videos. And, as my knitting skills advance, I'm sure the forums will help to!

Grannyglo
03-23-2008, 04:01 PM
this is my first time at the forum, and I don't know if i am even posting anything right. I wanted to introduce myself, but i do n't know if that is what i'm doing now or not. i am a grandmother and great grandmother and wife of 45+years to my sweetheart from age 14. i love to knit. i have 2 oldknitting machines, but i seldom use them because i would rather hand knit. i looked over the common abreviations and i frog and tink with every project because i try to be a perfectionist and then i end up getting either tired of doing that and start another project and lay that one aside for another day or i give up on it entirely and reuse the yarn for something else. If my user name wasn't grannyglo, it would have to be helpmehelpme.

Shandeh
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi, Grannyglo!

Welcome to the forum. :hug:

jmjjo
03-24-2008, 01:09 AM
:knitting: Hi there, boy can I relate. I am a new knitter. My first project. An Afghan. Smart huh. But for me I needed a road map. So I made my own. I took a sheet of lined paper and wrote from the directions line for line what I was to knit.( eg; line 10: k 8 p 4 (k5 p 3) k 8. ) After each row I would put a check mark to let me know that I had completed that row. It helped me know exactly where I was in the pattern and I was not writing in my pattern book. Make sure that you skip a couple of lines between your writing. It makes it easier to follow the pattern and when you start making the check marks everything stay neater.

Deenie
03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm a new knitter. I learned crochet many years ago from watching my grandmother. I started knitting and I love the challenge. I'm not very advanced, I'm doing dishcloths right now but have chosen a handbag as my first major project :)

:cheering:

Ninchen
03-24-2008, 11:55 AM
hi, I'm Ninny, and I have been knitting for some years but I never finished anything so last year I started again and my first thing that I knitted and finished was a sweater and now I am knitting my second sweater :)

I live and study in Switzerland :)

linda97267
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi All! This is my 1st time here. Happy to be invited to your space. Best that I warn you -- I'm a little slow when it comes to chat sites. I have MS and my whole existance is a bit slower than the norm. I am retired & live in Oregon.

lulu5156
03-24-2008, 02:02 PM
:cheering: Noni and One fine Yarn Package give-away!
You will be getting “Noni’s Yummy Lunch” bag pattern along with “One Fine Yarn” Cascade 220 to complete this projects. We are very thrilled to have Noni and One Fine Yarn being significant contributors to Craft Gossip.
The give-away will run from today, Monday March 24, thru Sunday March 30, 2008.
http://felting.craftgossip.com/2008/03/24/noni-pattern-and-one-fine-yarn-give-away/

Amyzing
03-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm a college student who is a newer knitter (I'm giving crochet a go, too!), an avid reader, and a dog lover. I have a 2 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who gets jealous of my knitting projects, and a boyfriend of one year who loves to watch me knit.

I've been a fan of Knitting Help for some time, so I decided it was time to join the forum! I learned to knit garter stitch (English) back in high school, but only knit an average looking scarf now and then. I had the chance to knit for a local homeless shelter this Christmas and decided I was really going to try and create some nice hats and scarves. My donations were a big success and I haven't put down my needles since!

With Knitting Help's videos I taught myself how to knit Continental and that got the ball rolling. I was lucky enough to learn about Ravelry early on and got my invite after very little wait. It's opened my eyes to how many wonderful patterns there are to knit!! My queue is HUGE and I can't wait to dive into some new projects. I'm taking part in a few swaps during this year and I'm so glad I've found out my love of yarn and knitting pretty early! I look forward to being a part of this forum and learning from you all. =)

Bebe
03-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi there, I'm just finding my way around this site - and it's fab!! - just posting to say hello. I have only just returned to knitting after a very long time and I find I am hooked. I am currently making a ballet cardigan for my daughter which is presenting all sorts of challenges but I'm enjoying myself!! I may have to post very soon about how to pick up stitches and knit.

What else, I'm in Buckinghamshire in the UK, I have two los so alot of knitting opportunities I think. When I'm not running around trying to organise everyone else, I like baking (Dutch Apple Cake is my current favourite) and crafty type things. Although these all will have to take a backseat soon as I am about to embark on a Master Degree. Oh, and around in the background somewhere is a very nice OH.

Look forward to chatting and hopefully learning.

Bx

Shandeh
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM

megamoez
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Hello All-
Im very excited to join this blog! Im a beginner and im working on my frist scarf well auchally im working on 2 of them but i havent finished one yet but im getting really close, I think that this site will really help me out with everything, my knitting teacher is like 2 hrs away so when i get stuck i can come here
thanks
meg

arwensmom16
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi, I'm Tracy. I am very lucky to have stumbled across this site on accident. I just started knitting and I'm in love with it!!! I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the lingo and options so I'll be needing some help. Right now I just want to kint a basic blanket for my four year old niece. I have a multi-colored yarn picked out but I'm not sure how much I need to cast on. I want the blankie to be about 3 to 4 feet wide and 5 to 6 feet wide. I'm not sure. HELP!!!!

Jeremy
03-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi, I'm Tracy. I am very lucky to have stumbled across this site on accident. I just started knitting and I'm in love with it!!! I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the lingo and options so I'll be needing some help. Right now I just want to kint a basic blanket for my four year old niece. I have a multi-colored yarn picked out but I'm not sure how much I need to cast on. I want the blankie to be about 3 to 4 feet wide and 5 to 6 feet wide. I'm not sure. HELP!!!!

The first step is to do a gauge swatch to see how many stitches per inch you knit with a given set of needles. Do it in the kind of stitch you want to knit the blanket with. Knit at least 4" worth. Once you know how many stitches per inch, multiply that number by 36 for a 3 foot wide blanket or 48 for a 4 foot wide blanket.

Jeremy
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Forum everyone :hug:

hartleystudio
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi! I am so glad to have found you all!

I hope to get to know all of you better in the future, you are all so kind and supportive! I am a jewelry designer but knitting has fulfilled my love of color and has helped me through many creative dry spells. My mom was a knitting instructor many years ago and taught me about 3 years ago. It's been a delight ever since.

I love knitting in the round and have just started to knit socks which I am now obsessed with! (Like many others on the forum, I see!)

Let me know if I can ever answer any jewelry questions! I know way more about that than I do knitting! I'm looking forward to learning with all of you!

Ann Hartley

toast
03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi my name is toast and i live in Ontario

knitstoomuch
03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a new knitter - since January. My daughter got a learn to knit kit for Christmas and she had no interest. I picked it up in hopes of inspiring her and haven't stopped since!

debknits
03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Hello, I'm so Gald to have found this site. I'm sure I will be able to help some people since I've been knitting for some 30 years, but also because I need help and still have questions. I spin fiber into yarn it is a passion and theraputic.

Debbie

heatherg23
03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
31 yr old / female / Wisconsin

Knitting is truely a challenge. I bought a beginner's DVD and it didn't show anything beyond showing you how to do the knit stitch and the purl stitch. My BIGgest challange and the reason for me being on this site is to learn how to FIX my MISTAKES...I can't make anything if I can't fix 'em. The DVD was NO help in that category. I have come to the conclusion that you need an actual person to show you how to do all these different things.

I started learning to distract me from the pain that i'm in every single day. It helps a lot but it's also frustrating when you have to unravel everything due to a mistake.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Heather

Shandeh
03-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

Krrrrissss
03-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone! I cannot stress how new to this I am... a few days ago I found some yarn and a couple of needles buried in a box in grandma's craft room. I decided on the spot that I would learn how to knit... with the help of the internet and some dusty old books, I've been slowly (but surely) feeling my way along ever since.

I have no idea about the different types of needles or yarn or anything like that, but I'll get there eventually... thanks for having me! :)

Debkcs
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Krrrrissss and everyone else new, welcome to Knitting Help!

K, (:) ), if you have any questions on what to do with what you found, or anything else, just post it. There are a lot of knoweldgeable people here, and we have the best mods. What a great find, I'd love to have something someone in my family used to knit with.

Knitternewby
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey everyone. I am new to this site and think it is FANTASTIC. I actually just learned the basics of knitting two days ago. I am still learning how to put the basics into working it, and have NO IDEA how to follow a pattern, but I cannot wait!! I wish I could just know how to do it with the blink of an eye! Can't wait to talk to you all!!

Janna
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
:grphug: Hi all. I am new to the forum and am excited. I have been knitting off and on for several years, however, everytime I start back up, I am amazed at all the new patterns, yarns, etc. How fun! There is always something to learn. Seems as there is lots of support here. I'm looking forward to being part of such a fun family of knotters, crafters, etc.

Janna
03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
:grphug: Whoops! I mean knitters! YIKES!!

maknitter2
03-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey all,

I knit when I have a free hand; not often enough! I have five little ones and they all want Mama to knit them a sweater, and socks to match! I am on the third sweater in 6 months, not too bad an average. I have also completed a blanket, a scarf, and I need to make those slippers I have been meaning to do for my mil!

How fun to have found this community of knitters!

maknitter2

LovelyLinda
03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new the forum. I live outside of Toronto, Ontario and ony started knitting 6 months ago. My first finished project was a long cardigan and I have finished one side a cable knit sweater. I'm also working on a lace caplet/shawl.

I've enjoyed reading and learning from everyone here but I'm still getting use to the lingo.

cookiejar
03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi... :waving:... I just found this forum last week. I learned to knit as a child but got away from it as a older teen then picked it back up every so often through the years. Lately it seem to be all I want to do. If I'm not actually knitting...I'm reading about knitting or looking at something knitting related on the internet. It has become an obsession :knitting: Lately... I just finished learning how to do two socks on two circs....and now I am going to try two socks on one long circs...going great so far. I think I've bought more new needles in the past few months than in the 30 years I've been knitting...Dont tell my hubby but I have an order on the way (cute stitch markers) and one going in today to Knit Picks :happydance: .

jaimemama
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here. I am in NE Alabama and I am a sahm to a 1 1/2 year old little boy. I have been knitting for a couple of years. I hope to find lots of useful advice here.
:woohoo:

Juliasmum
03-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi, my name is Carley, married for 5 years and SAHM to Bayden, 5, and our angel in heaven Julia Rose-Joy, born silent 3/11/06. I live in New Zealand and have been knitting for about 28 years now, still have lots to learn so am hoping for some help to questions I may have. :waving:

Shandeh
03-29-2008, 03:54 AM
Welcome everyone! I think you'll like it here. cloud9

purl1knit2
03-29-2008, 06:21 AM
A friend told me about this great site. So I thought that I would have a look. Great site - lots of help (which I will need). Here is a project that I did with odd bits of wool. Hope you think they are cute.47643

SharronA
03-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Just found this site while looking for the answer to a specific knitting question (to be posted later). I'm recently retired, and currently live on the shore of Lake Ontario in western New York with my husband and our Bernese Mountain Dog. I've been knitting off and on since I was a child. I was first taught by a friend of my grandmother, then later started trying new patterns from knitting books. Years later I found out that I had learned the "German" method and all the American books used the "English" method. Even now when folks see how I hold my needles, yarn, and fingers, they are puzzled! I seem to thrive on a blend of the two methods.

Mostly I enjoy knitting socks, because they're easy to take with me when traveling or even just when waiting. I also like to make vests and sweaters for myself and for friends. I am particularly fond of variegated yarns, especially the ones with very long runs of color.

I just discovered Noro's Kureyon sock yarn and will begin my first pair in that yarn as soon as my current Ty-Dy cotton yarn vest is finished.

SharronA

emile
03-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I am just beginning to learn to knit and heard about this forum. Looking forward to learning lots and chatting with you all!

:thumbsup:

Jeremy
03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone!:hug:

walnutglen
03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Greetings from NE PA !

Found this site while searching for some knitting help. This is a great resource!
I've been knitting off and on for about 40 years or so ... and am still learning ... I have made mostly small items, some sweaters, and now am working on a reversable cable afgan. Many thanks to MerigoldinWA for the help I needed with dropped cable sts.
I would like to try making socks, but have not had the nerve yet. I am all thumbs when it comes to circular knitting.
Hope to meet and chat with many of you in the future. :knitting:

coiemo
03-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Hello
I am from Ky , I have just learned to knit, have been crocheting most of my life , just thought i would try knitting for a bit

ValFaz
03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I started knitting about two years ago and just love it. So far I have done plenty of scarves and blankets, (used Homespun, which is forgiving.... love that yarn!) one set of wristwarmers (they came out uneven...LOL) and one baby sweater (didn't get the tension quite right, oh well). Can you see a running theme here....I am kind of hesitant to try something a little more involved. I know, I know, just keep knitting and I will eventually get better. As I'm going thru this site I can tell that I will definitely try projects that are a little more challenging knowing that if I have a problem I can get some help. Thank you for putting it all together and giving us the confidence that we can conquer any pattern with a little, okay, lots of help!
Valerie

Shandeh
03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Hello everyone! Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum!
:heart: :muah: :heart:

yvettedepree
03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi!!!! I'm a beginner that caught on very quickly and look forward to making great things!!!! I look forward in talking more with everyone!!!!:knitting:

Jeremy
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the forum:hug:

maddygymnast
04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi! I'm maddygymnast!

I'm new here and glad to be here! :aww: Hope to meet all of you! It seems like a great place to be! I've been knitting for about 5 years now but I really got into it in the last year!

bnit
04-04-2008, 07:51 PM
What a great resource! I've been knitting off and on - mostly off- for years, even made a Kaffe Faccet (sp?) vest once. Now I just do dish cloths- you know, the ones you find a church bazaars ( I don't go to church so I have to make my own).
If I can just remember my password I may come back to chat again soon - ha, ha.

SharonF
04-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi all. I've only been knitting for about 4 months and have learned so much from this site! All of the video files are amazing. I'm doing my first "in the round" this evening and the video was so helpful. Thanks for the easy explinations and the reassuring directions. It helps a lot!:woot:

exleftcoastgirl
04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie from a small town in the midwest. I knit primarily shawls and capelets, which I probably wouldn't have worn in my native Los Angeles. I like to knit gifts for my friends and colleagues at the high school where I work. Knitting is my way of relaxing, and giving shawls is my way of thanking my friends for their support and friendship (my job is sometimes stressful). I'm currently working on a shawl for one of my friends, a special needs teacher.

Although I do a lot of knitting, I'm not adventurous, and I'm glad I found this forum. Now I have a place to ask questions and, hopefully, find answers!

Happy Knitting!

The exleftcoastgirl

dustinac
04-05-2008, 10:03 AM
:happydance: Welcome to KH, everyone!

bloeb
04-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I am having trouble with a cable-pattern hat and thought I'd surf for help. I came upon this wonderful forum. Thank you so much. Bear with me while I try to figure out how to post my question.

Beth

dakittycat
04-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm grateful to this website for all of the help it has given me in the past when I found myself in the occasional knitting hell.
A wonderful website, a great resource for knitters everywhere, and no knitting social stigmas to be found! :yay:

Thanks much,
Yookie :muah:

princesstadpole
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I am pretty new to knitting and have found this website to be extremely helpful.

Thanks!!

SlasherSeahorse
04-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Great website. I have yet to start any projects, but the information i've looked through so far seems extremely clear and easy to understand. I can't wait to get started!

Shandeh
04-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Welcome everyone! I hope you like it here!
:heart: :muah: :heart:

AnnaMarta
04-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Hello from an American in Norway who is pulling her hair out :hair: trying to learn the secrets of knitting. I am eager to learn and look forward to making new friends and acquaintances in these creative forums.

This is the land of women who appear to have received the "know how" to knit with their mother's milk. I am currently fumbling through the world of learning this old art in a bilingual world. Have decided it would be best for me to stick to the English directions and terminology during this early phase.

Right now I am STUCK on learning to do short rows and wrapping knitting the heel of a sock. I can't help but wonder if it really is so hard or maybe I am hopelessly learning disabled.

Anna Marta

Scooterlady
04-07-2008, 11:18 PM
My name is Joan. I knitted for yrs incl selling my items to co-workers way back "when".

I live in sunny Florida & love it. Recently, I had a knit/crochet class for about 8 mos in my sr citizen community. (Attendance got quite sporadic so I closed the class.)

I was/am so addicted that if I cld knit w/my hands & crochet w/my feet - I'd do it!

Unfortunately, the last several yrs I haven't been able to knit/crochet due to fibromyalgia (chronic pain), but I haven't lost my passion.

Joan :knitting:

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Right now I am STUCK on learning to do short rows and wrapping knitting the heel of a sock. I can't help but wonder if it really is so hard or maybe I am hopelessly learning disabled.

Anna Marta

They can be difficult to grasp. Try this article with pictures for some help with short rows Short rows at knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATbonnetric.html)

SusaninAtlanta
04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Hello! I'm just getting back to knitting (having a new grandbaby on the way is great incentive) and I'm afraid I may have started with a project that's too ambitious. Some of the directions look like Greek to me! With the help of this website (and veteren knitters!) I've managed to figure out most of the terms. I'm still stumped by the terms "2x2 LPC" and "2x2 RPC." They are in the pattern for an afghan square but the glossary doesn't explain what that means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to be able to finish this afghan for the new baby!

Thanks

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Are they explained in the stitch notes for the pattern itself? Whenever there's a C in there, it's usually a cross/cable/twist.

Shandeh
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
........the last several yrs I haven't been able to knit/crochet due to fibromyalgia (chronic pain), but I haven't lost my passion. Joan :knitting:
Hi Joan! I have constant pain as well, but keep on knitting. I prefer to knit in the "English" style, because it gives me less pain than the Continental method.

Gryphons
04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Greetings,
My name's Gryphon.. I'm from south carolina, but currently find myself in the wilds of southwestern Tennessee. um... I'm really bad on writing intros... but I'm trying to start learning more about knitting.. a friend showed me the basics a few years agol... now I'm trying to get past the point of just doing shawls, or squares.
-Gryphon

Debet
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a new sock knitter and have a quick question. Why is my sock knitting unside out? All the pictures I see of socks being knitted have the right side out. What am I doing wrong?

Deb

NanaSlupe
04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I am a beginner knitter but want to become as proficient a knitter as I am a crocheter (50+ yrs at crocheting). I saw a beautiful knitted shawl while vacationing in Florida and complimented the person who was wearing it. She said she purchased it at Niagara Falls, Canada. I was online trying to find the pattern for it when I was referred to this website. WOW! I am now thrilled to have all this information and all your knowledge to tap into to begin my newest hobby of knitting. My eleven grandchlildren will be the beneficiaries of some of my work, so I want to be proficient at it and have fun with it. I want to explore this website and still try to find the knitted shawl pattern but also to learn much about how-to-knit techniques. I know I am going to enjoy this new venture.

NanaSlupe
:grphug:

cdulinsky
04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi! I'm a beginner and am trying to find out how to make a scarf with a split in it. How do you make the split?

Shandeh
04-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am a new sock knitter and have a quick question. Why is my sock knitting unside out? All the pictures I see of socks being knitted have the right side out. What am I doing wrong?
Deb
You're probably knitting on the INSIDE of the circle instead of the OUTSIDE. Just turn your knitting inside out, and then continue knitting with your points together at the BOTTOM of the circle. Good luck!

Hi! I'm a beginner and am trying to find out how to make a scarf with a split in it. How do you make the split?
Are you referring to a drop-stitch scarf? There is a scarf called "Clapotis" that is a free pattern online (here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html) that has a split in it. It looks like this:

Pranitha
04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Hello .....:happydance: happy dat am i member of knitting

Samantha1972
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi all, Im Samantha and live in South Africa. I have been kniting for a while although strill very much a beginner. I have loads of questions and am hoping my little one gives me time to ask them all!!

I look forward to getting to know you all, take care!

cdulinsky
04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
The scarf is split so instead of wrapping it around you, you tuck one end through the split.

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Search for `keyhole' scarf patterns. I think there's some at knittingpatterncentral.com, and thedailyknitter.com

pampie
04-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone! I've been coming to this site for a while and learned cont. knitting, long tail cast on and how to knit cords with one circular needle. I just now found the forum.

I've been knitting since high school (a long long time :) but havnet taken any more classes since. I learned lace and following patterns on my own and taught myself how to crochet.

I mostly knit blankets and am in the middle of a baby blanket for my future granchild. I just knitted my first felted bag. It was supposed to be a knitting bag, but the phone rang in the middle of felting and now it's a really nice purse :) I am going to line it now and do some sort of closure... THEN start another. I'm hooked on felting now!

ARiley
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi all --
I'm just re-starting after a long pause -- like I haven't tried to knit anything in about twenty years. What got me re-started? People talking about charity knitting. I was passing the word on that and then decided it'd be nice if I practiced what I was preaching, so I found a simple pattern, got some yarn & needles, checked the videos on here (thanks!), and got started. Fun!

Now I'm working on a shawl for me (it's chilly in the office, and I need a nice-looking wrap), and who knows what the future will hold?

Happy knitting!

knittingonthebeach
04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I love your site and just discovered that you have this great forum! I have been knitting for only a year and am completly addicted :cheering:

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

knittingonthebeach
04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I just started felting too! It is great. I found the magnetic snaps at Joanns that make great closures for those bags that dont end up with button holes.

knittingbymadi
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I am so happy the I can find web like this and introduce myself.
I love the post and comment.
Hope you enjoy my web of knittings. I will love to have comments about, Its so relative new and I am so excited about it!
love you all knitters.
madi
http://madisknitting.homestead.com/
Oh! but the way, I am a old knitter originaly from Switzerland, living in California with my husband ( more inside the web):heart:

vak420
04-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Amy,

I want to thank you for a great site.
I started to knit about a couple of years ago, learning from your videos, and returning whenever I need a refresher.

You are awesome. :hug:

letsknit
04-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Hello all! My name is Angie and I live in Minneapolis. Like a lot of you, I learned to knit and crochet at a young age, but let it all go because it just wasn't cool enough! LOL now I am trying to relearn and I'm glad that you are all here. Well I better get started with the search feature now! See y'all around!:muah:

Shandeh
04-11-2008, 06:44 AM
The scarf is split so instead of wrapping it around you, you tuck one end through the split.
Suzeeq gave you the right recommendation. (She is so smart!)
You're wanting a "keyhole scarf".

Here are some:
http://fireflowerknits.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/quick-no-purl-keyhole-scarf/
http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/pattern_detail.php?patterns_ID=77
http://www.modadea.com/patterns/LM0207.htm
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/srilanka/srilanka.html

tambo70
04-11-2008, 08:41 AM
I am so excited to have found this site. I just recently started to knit, I have perfected the art of making unwanted holes in my knitting already! These videos are great. My son wants to learn how to knit too and my teaching wasn't working for him because how can you teach when you hardly know how to do it yourself? Anyway I think I might encourage him to watch these videos with me. Thank you so much!

Bubbles102675
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi, My name is Tanya and I saw someone knitting one day at a doctor's office and she did not look much older than myself. She made it look so easy. I had always thought that knitting would be hard for me since it was with 2 needles. Anyway I asked her how she learned to knit and she said via the internet- so I when I got home, I bought a set of knitting needles and took to the internet You Tube to be exact and there is where I stumbled upon the videos from you guys. I actually learned how to knit watching those videos and now think that it may be easier than crochet. I just wanted to say thanks and whenever I am in doubt I just watch one of the videos in question and with your guidance I get it right. :knitting:

davidb
04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I am a new member of Knitting Help. I think it is fantastic and really is a great help. I have already learned a lot from watching the videos.
I am an Englishman living in Sweden with my Swedish wife, Maj-Britt. I taught myself to knit about 30 years ago, but only in recent years have I taken it more seriously.
I belong to several knitting cafés in our town and enjoy the company as well as the knitting.
I work as a deacon in the Swedish church. My hobbies are knitting, reading,friends and writing poetry.

David

Shandeh
04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! :muah:

xxkarenlxx
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
I taught myself to knit from a book when I was 12. It went too slow, and I didn't care for it much so I never picked it back up. Fast forward almost 30 years... I want a pair of hand knit socks so bad that I just can't stand it any more. I am in a town far from home for a month, with nothing to do but sit in a hotel room. I found a LYS and sat in on a social class where you just bring what ever you are working on and can get some help with your project if you like. I am happy to say that I am well on my way to those socks. I am working the gusset on the first one, and am really enjoying your web site. Thank you so much.
Karen

Jeremy
04-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Welcome Karen. We have some great sock knitters here. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

ailurophile
04-14-2008, 11:53 PM
hi my name is sara. i learned to knit a little more than a year ago, and im totally hooked! i love it. my friend taught me how to do the basic knit stitch and from there i looked up videos on youtube and other websites to learn how to do other stitches. LOTS of trial and error; no one in my family knows how to knit.

in the past few months i have picked up a couple of long rectangular knitting looms, though im still kinda confused by them.

i also crochet. i learned when i was maybe 8 years old from my mother and grandmother. i never learned the names of the stitches, but in a way taught myself how to do most of them by experimentation. i stopped crocheting for several years, kinda on and off. but i picked it back up recently. trying to figure out how to read crocheting patterns-and knitting patterns, for that matter-mainly for baby clothes and booties; ive had an explosion of newborns in the network of people i know from down home.

sooo.. i guess you could say im kinda a newbie to the knitting and crocheting world, in perspective. im very eager to learn and just LOVE that i found this site-it is so helpful and informative. its really nice to know i have somewhere to go and i can ask how to do something if and when i need it. i look forward to the tips and etc i will find here!

fourel
04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been knitting since I was eight years old. My beloved aunt taught me when she saw that I was interested. Over the years I have knitted for many family and friends. I just finished my eight Christmas stocking which took about 1 1/2 months to do. Thanks to my mother who said yes to any family and friend who asked for one I have been kept busy. I teach elementary school and have lived in UT for over 20 years. Originally I am from Massachusetts. Recently I have discovered a Hobby Lobby store in Salt Lake. Once a month I visit and fill up on knitting essentials. Mary Maxim is also a place I like to shop.

damabeth
04-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi! I am Grandma Beth. I'm a new knitter. :knitting: I have been crocheting since I was 8. I am happy to find a place that answers my questions!

MaryF
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
This is a great site. I’m a new knitter and your online videos and Complete Web Site CD are a tremendous help…I can’t believe that I just finished knitting baby socks by following the pattern and watching your video…Thanks, Amy!

Peteysmom
04-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi...thanks for the welcome. I'm new to the art (12 months). I know finding this site will save a lot of heartache. Thanks again, Petey's Mom.

InterNette
04-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Been here in the past. I have had some health problems the last 2 years. I now come online a bit more than I use to but I never stopped knitting, just time away when I am quilting usually. I do quilting when I am home and have large patches of time and knitting when I am at doctor offices and in the evening when we watch a movie or something special on tv. Knitting is my relaxation and thoughts to ponder time. Now if I could get someone else to do the driving I might even get more knitting time in.

bmorecutie
04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Hello I am a fairly new knitter, been knitting on a off for about 2 yrs (mainly off). Recently finished two cable baby blankets and currectly working on a cable comfort throw from Lions Brand. I am starting to feel a little bored and ready to learn something new. I have found the wonderful world of knitting blogs and have become a little obsessed with them. I look at all the beautiful finished piece and dream of doing the same. With all the said I think I am going to take a sock class. All advice is welcomed :muah:

Susie54
04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey there! Just found this site last evening. I've been knitting since I was eight (a lot of years). I am a preschool teacher, mom of a newly married daughter and a pound puppy. Knitting is my stress release and my calming exercise. It allows my time to relax and meditate. In other words, it allows me to keep my sanity. Thanks for developing this delightful and helpful site. Susie54

Snapdragon
04-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi! I am not new to knitting but I have been at the same level forever! No one I knew ever knitted so I was left to use books as resources. I am left handed and always found it hard to decipher the books interpretations of how to do certain stitches. I always ended up with really long scarves that I didn't know how to finish....and they always took forever because whenever I made a mistake I would pull out all the yarn back to the mistake to fix it. Your site has been an absolute life saver for me. Now my son it knitted with me as well and he loves it because he can play the video's over and over again. Thank you so much for all you hard work!!!!!

Shandeh
04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Welcome everyone, and welcome back InterNette!
:muah:

tammy1959
04-18-2008, 01:45 AM
My name is Tammy and I am thrilled to have found this website. My grandmother taught me to knit at 7 years old and I have been creating ever since. Looking forward to a fun and informative sharing.

Shewhoknits
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I am excited to join this forum. I am looking for other knitters who will keep me inspired and encouraged. I love to knit and have just finished catching up on all unfinished projects (well almost) and know I am working on my huge stash. I love to buy yarn when I am out of my own city.

SwedishCarina
04-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeppers, that's me! Who am I then you might ask...? Since you insist I'd better tell you so here it goes: I am a single mom with two teenage daughters, I am 46 years young ( my kids would say old) and as you've probably guessed already I come from Sweden. We moved to Aaland (part of Finland) about two years ago and we absolutely love it here! Aaland consists of several groups of islands and we live in the Eastern Archipelago area with approximately 450 inhabitants all year around, obviously the population increases during the summer because of all tourists who come here. If you ever get a chance you should come too! Anyway, I'd love to get me some new friends with knitting and yarn on their minds so get in touch if you feel like it...Bye for now, Carina!:grphug:

Merissa
04-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi new here. Currently having a blast knitting socks. Just finished a pair of lacy ones for a Christmas present. Well, I'll say more after I get my feet wet here. Happy kntting, Merissa

Saby
04-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Hi! I've only been knitting for about a year. I found this sit on a google search for help with a stitch and have been coming back ever since when I need help. I even bookmarked it to speed up getting to the site.I am in China and do not speak Chinese so getting help in the area is not an option. I plan on being in here a lot as I am enjoying knitting that much.

Saby
U.S. citizen/Canadian resident living in China

PerfectWife
04-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Hello) I have just logged in) My name is Anastasia or just Ana) I'm 24. I live in Russia. My native city is Kirov but now I live in Moscow. I'm married and have a wonderful daughter Margarita :) My hobby is :knitting: )) mmmmm love that business. Found that site and fell in love with it. Think I can be useful here)) Thank you and sorry for my English

Nixy
04-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Heya.
My name's Nicky and I've just signed up. This site is amazing! This is going to be so helpful for the more complicated things my friends have been asking me to make them!
I've been knitting ever since I was little (I'm now at uni) and I'm finally branching out from just making scarves and have decided to some more creative ideas.

Shandeh
04-22-2008, 12:02 AM

PDMKNITS
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi!
I'm a new member of your group - a beginner knitter, and new to this world of communicating of the computer!! Bear with me - I may need help in both areas!!
PDMKNITS

joann1972
04-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm really, really new to knitting. As in -I haven't made anything yet. My grandmother attempted to teach me when I was 7, but I didn't have the attention span, and she gave up. Now I'm thirty-something and have taught myself the basic steps from books and websites. I'm convinced a live teacher would lose patience with me. So far it's been me - a pair of knitting needles, and an old bit of red yarn casting on over and over again and practicing stitches until they're perfect. What probably takes most people a half hour to learn - took me a few weeks. You should have seen how excited I got when I figured out (finally) how to cast on. :woot: I think I'm finally confident enough to maybe attempt my first scarf...

This site has been TONS of help BTW (for someone who's totally "challenged" when it comes to working with her hands). I'm convinced if I can learn to knit -- anyone can learn.

ambrette
04-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi Everyone! This is an absolutely fantastic forum and informative site! Its ultra-fantastic!

A little about me, since this IS introduction :-) I don't consider myself a brand new knitter, as I taught myself to knit about 22 years ago from books when I was pregnant with my daughter! And my very first project was an Aran Fisherman's Knit Sweater for my husband. Now you must understand....I knew Nothing, NADA, about knitting at that time. I picked out a pattern, bought my supplies, and went about struggling with all kinds of cable stitches, ribbing, seed and moss stitches, PLUS having to make quite a bit of additions to the sweater. It turned out well though, actually...and I then knitted some things for my baby for coming home. Then I found myself too busy to keep going with the knitting. I have loved crafts of most every kind, including oil painting, but over the past year, my love of knitting has become a real passion! There is sooo much to learn... and its sooo relaxing! I adore yarn, and had I the money, I am quite sure I would have a MONSTROUS yarn stash!!!

I love the feel, textures, the LOVE of the yarns, and when stressed or tired, there is nothing quite like calming to the rhythms of knitting, and a good cup of strong hot tea.

Oh yeah... I am an oldster here, I think. I'm 56, and disabled. Knitting has brought me out to other people, and want to make something for everyone I care about! It also helps me feel really useful. I am proud of my struggles with knitting now, and of the FO and my plans for WIP's.

You guys are great! I am looking forward to participating here, in some of the knit-alongs, and wow.. just so much to learn! And enjoy.

Thank you for this wonderful site. I don't think I shall be terribly shy about asking questions, or just posting on occasion.

Amy? You're brilliant here. I believe truly you have found your niche!

I hope I shall be eventually of some usefulness here, and I look forward to seeing other's works posted here!

Thank you ALL once again! Sooo glad I found you!

Ambrette
:knitting:

margz3
04-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi all - I just found this site last week - it is great! I have browsed other sites, but this one really has it all. My great grandmother taught me to knit when I was very young, but that was it - just garter stitch. I picked knitting back up a few years ago (scarfs) and finally taught my self to purl about a year and a half ago. I have made a few baby sweaters and have been trying to branch out from there. Though some of the patterns intimidate me, I am determined to improve! The first sweater I made had cables and they were no problem, so I figure I can do it!

meggie90
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi my name is meggie90. This is the first time knitting. One of my friends rabbitrescuer started teaching me today. I am 17 years old. I live in Salem Va. I have trouble learning things that others can learn faster.:yay: :yay: :yay:

Rabbitrescuer
04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Welcome to KH Meggie!! :grphug:

katieq
04-24-2008, 10:17 PM
:thumbsup: Im trying my hardest to get useful and to understanding everything... Im a little more advanced than a beginner knitter
thanks for having this site to offer me:) This is some my first sweater. Let me know what ya think if you could !

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Welcome everyone! Ana-your English is as good as most of ours!

Minne2
04-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm Minne2 from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I started knitting as a thrower over 3 years ago while taking a community ed class. Being a fairly ambidextrous leftie, this wasn't much of a problem. I mouse all day long at work and have consequently deveoped a ganglion cyst in my right index finger. Fortunately I was referred to an excellent orthopedic surgeon who can pop that little blob in his office when the cyst bothers me all the time. My knitting activity contributes to the fluctation in size of the cyst. Now I am teaching myself how to be a picker. This site's videos have been great in teaching me how to switch hands but the purling is quite slow at the time. Previously I had knit one pair of socks on two circs and made several felted bags along with oddles of scarves, hats and dishcloths. My relatives love knitted dishcloths. I am also Minne2 on ravelry.com - must be the blue eyed bottle blonde in me. :knitting:

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Welcome, Minne! My imagniary friend when I was little was Minnie. I thought of her when I saw your name. I miss Minnie. Wonder what she's doing now?

Alyce
04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
:rofl: :roflhard:

Shandeh
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Welcome everyone! I think you'll like it here in the KH Forum.
cloud9

mydimples6
04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi Everyone! I love this site! :muah: I have used the tutorials to learn TONS of stuff! :woot: I've crocheted my whole life, from 6 on :p , but just learned to knit in the last couple of years. I am hooked! Thank you so much for this site and I love the community!

Thanks

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Welcome, mydimples6! We're glad you like it here and hope you come back and talk to us a lot.

PeruGirl
04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone! I am Libby and I just joined the forums even though I have used this very helpful KnittingHelp.com site for a while.

I am a missionary wife and mom living in Peru, South America. I have been knitting for a few years so I'm still learning! I also love to crochet, cross-stitch and sew (although I am still learning how to sew and tend to stick to really simple projects)

I knit sort of continental style but with the yarn around my neck so it's out of my way. Makes for faster knitting for me anyway.
I've knit several sweaters and have another one going right now. I also tried my hand at socks before Christmas I like it...need to do more!:)

Most women knit and crochet here in Peru and many women in the mountains know how to card wool, spin it on a drop spindle, dye it and weave with a backstrap loom. Very amazing! And as you can imagine great wool and alpaca yarn here! I am still just learning my way around the yarn stores here.

Anyway, HI!! :waving:

Vreni
04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
:happydance:

Hello, I am a knitting beginner from Germany and I am very impressed by your site. My mum is a devoted knitter but with work and tree kids she never had a lot of time, but now she is retired, she knts a lot and she infected me, but she lives 650 km (about 500miles) away, so I am very happy to have found your site. Hope to find tips, tricks and friends.

Regards Vreni

dustinac
04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
:happydance: Welcome to KH, everyone!!