PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

AprilB
05-17-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm so excited to have found this site!! I just started knitting and its an addiction- to the point where I'm hiding yarn from DH that I just bought! :rollseyes: This place is great- lovin' the support on this forum! You can bet that I will be posting LOTS of questions!

Thanks Amy for such a great site!!

April

KellyK
05-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Yup....done that. Welcome to the club, April!! :happydance:

BinkyKat
05-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi! Another newbie knitter-mult-crafter.I do beading,scrapping,stamping,and was a floral designer until allergies drove me away from that. Auntie taught me one stitch in crochet when I was a kid and I could make a chain till the end of the earth. Decided last summer at 35 I want to knit so I have been teaching myself and with the help of good books and videos and now this site, I'll get better and better! I don't know about all of you, but I am one who makes one first project and if it works out ok, then I am hooked and hopelessly addicted. My whole family has basically dubbed me the family yarn girl! I have come to the conclusion that crafts were invented so those of us who were told as children "Keep your hands to yourself, don't touch!" had something to do... :D Looking forward to getting help and answers to snags I am hitting too. See ya 'round! :XX:

KellyK
05-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I know exactly whatcha mean...I have made three pairs of felted clogs now!

Welcome! Love your Kitty Avatar!!

BinkyKat
05-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Why thank you! That pic would be of my naughty boy Binky... the rest of the pic shows him sitting in a Pepsi box... no matter how big he gets, any empty box gets the Binky test. In fact, most of my little knitting projects have been Binky approved. He likes to crawl in mommy's lap when I knit and usually kneads the knitting if it's laying around...hard to believe he can be pure evil too! ;) My goal is to make a baby layette, i have an expectant sister in law but i don't want to rush otherwise i'll stress and give up. maybe i'll make one for myself, no kids yet but maybe a pretty christening gown would be a lovely project...
well, beddy bye time, night all!

KellyK
05-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey, Bink...why dontcha wander over to the Blog forum & start one? We'd all love to see more pics of your kitties and whatever you have on the needles and get to know you better!

(That goes for you, too, April!)

BinkyKat
05-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Maybe I'll try that...never blogged before. Journaling would be fun. I'll keep you posted! :XX:

brookenic
05-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Have you tried the chat? It's fun. :thumbsup:

BinkyKat
05-20-2005, 01:13 AM
I saw that last night... I'll get on that perhaps tomorrow...I need to go to bed! :zzz: Watched my Nanny reruns and it's after midnight here in lovely ND..I stay up too late and am always a sleepy head at work...sigh...
Ta ta for now! :thumbsup:

rebecca
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
:waving: :waving: :waving: New People!!! Wow...I'm so excited, I was just here a few days ago and now we have several more new :XX: I'm :heart: ing it!!
welcome, welcome leapinfrog....u r such a busy crafter!!! I used to be, too...but I, too, decided knitting is the best....no doubt!!!
So...AprilB :?? looks like we have a new addict on our hands....u know, this is no knitting rehab...we are addicts and we KNOW IT!! and we :heart: this :X: addiction...glad u do, too!! And...FYI...about hiding that yarn...u r gonna have to tell him...or buy a bigger place... :roflhard: :roflhard: I'm not even kidding...lol....my DH likens us to one of our LYS!!
BinkyKat....another multicrafter...good for you....u know...i think ur right about 'keep your hands to yourself, don't touch'....lol....especially when it comes to yarn...gotta feel the yarn....yep
looking forward to getting to know u all...know u will enjoy it around here and if u have any ?s...ask...there r LOTS of very accomplished knitters around here...just look at their projects!!
have a :XX: kinda weekend

amy
05-22-2005, 12:34 PM
:balloons: Yay, hello to you new members! :waving: Welcome PurlyGyrl, Anne, KnitKat, Jodi, Leapinfrog, April, and BinkyKat! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! Oh, and welcome Rorshach! LOL, has it been this long since I've checked this thread? Feels like you've been here forever.

Thank you KellyK, Rebecca, Lisa, Benniesma, Purlygyrl, Joel, and everyone who's been saying hi to newcommers. :heart: I love to see folks getting such a great welcome!

BinkyKat
05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
:drooling: OMGOMGOMG
I went to grocery shop and of course had to stop at one of my many haunts, ben franklin...ours has tons of crafting stuff.they had new yarn and daisy needles. i'm not a fan of plastic needles but these i had to have! bright jelly bean colors and not cheep looking/feeling. they got a ton of crystal palace yarns in they hadn't had before, i went into a trance!
Who I am: Many people go meet at a local watering hole after work on Fridays, I visit craft/yarn stores. It's my kind of Bar... :thumbsup:
I hope they never find a cure for my fiberous disease! :inlove:

Joel
05-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Well its been a few days since i had a chance to welcome the new members so here's my catch all Hi to each of you.

April... lol the only thing i can think of to say is already in my signature, that and you are going to fit right in here with some of these people.... they'll either support and encourage you in your addiction. :D

Binky Cat.... I'm glad you can understand your Rice Krispies... because I've had a hell of time with that dialect.

:roflhard:

BinkyKat
05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks Joel... I may understand my Rice Krispies, but the Grape Nuts are just goofy! :lol:
As far as a patch for knitting...there's something to use the guage swathces for! :roflhard:

Joel
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks Joel... I may understand my Rice Krispies, but the Grape Nuts are just goofy!

:roflhard:

Ok... that's funny. I actually thought about mentioning Grape Nuts in that post.

As far as a patch for knitting...there's something to use the guage swathces for! :roflhard:

Aha! So that's what you do with those. BK... I'm starting to think you need a Red Cross symbol for your avatar. ;-)

BinkyKat
05-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Maybe I'll find a nurse/dr outfit for the cat and take a pic. just another excuse to dress the cat! I am just a little off center so I hope that this knitting fetish will calm me down! :shock:
>^..^<
Jodie

rebecca
05-26-2005, 09:49 PM
:waving: :waving: Hello, Hello to you new members that have not yet posted here!!....I've seen new names almost everyday on the first forum page; it's okay if u r a bit :hiding: shy....I just wanted to say that I'm happy :happydance: :happydance: to be meeting some new :XX: :XY: knitting friends!!
Welcome one & all, I'm sure u will enjoy everyone here! There is quite a wealth of knitting knowledge around.... :D happy u all r here to bring us some more!

tab
05-29-2005, 06:23 PM
New member here! My name is Tabitha, and I've been knitting on and off for about nine years - I started when I was about nine, and my grandma taught me how to knit headbands to keep my ears warm in the winter. I've been knitting on and off ever since, and my sweetheart loved the sweater I made him for Christmas last year. (I won't be doing that again, though - both my parents have carpal tunnel, and I've been getting the symptoms as well. It's so frustrating having to stop every 20 minutes! ...Actually, I might do it again, but I'll definitely give myself more time! :doh: )
I think the allure of knitting (for me) is in taking balls of yarn and transforming them into something someone will use and enjoy. It's sort of like origami or clay sculpture in that aspect, and I've always loved those sorts of things. Of course, it's a bit of a chore keeping my cats from trying to unravel all I've started, and they're constantly chewing on my needles, but they're both sweeties and I enjoy a bit of a challenge anyway. ;)
I can count on one hand the number of things I have knit and kept for myself... when I create anything, I have a tendency to give it away. Right now, I'm working on a plush pig as a gift for a friend who owns an art studio called the Big Black Pig. She's expanding this summer, and I hope to have it finished by the time she's all done the renovations.
Everyone here seems so wonderful and friendly; I can tell I'm going to like it here. :thumbsup:

rebecca
05-29-2005, 06:36 PM
:waving: Hey Tabitha!!! Welcome, welcome!! I know your friend will love the pig...tooo cute. Now...u be careful & take care with your carpel tunnel. There is a thread here under gen. knitting from our adminstrator, Amy, she thinks, she, too, may have it...and several others on here have as well & had good advice about it.
u have been knitting much longer than I and I only have a couple of things for myself...give it all away...u need to do what i did...made a project list and bought the yarn of things for me...then concentrate on the others! (of course i am finishing a wedding afghan today)...but then...stuff for me... :XX: :XX: for you!!
looking forward to getting to know u!
fyi...i have 2 cats...1 huge (15 - 17lbs) solid white and one black & white tuxedo kitty...of course there r also 2 birds & a dog...lol....but my cats love to grab my yarn as well!!
welcome!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

newtoknit
05-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Well, in all my searching around these boards, I actually just noticed this thread! I'm fairly new to these boards and knitting. I'm 32 years old and have two young boys (3 if you include dh! :lol: ). I work outside of the home part-time, which I don't particularly care to do, but I guess now I have to support my new-found knitting habit! :lol:

I've been crocheting for a few years and crocheted my first sweater/jacket just a few months ago. I actually just inherited my nana's knitting needles...she was an avid knitter for many many years. It's just too bad I decided to take up knitting now, because she would have been a GREAT source of info for me on this subject! So I've got lots of supplies...I just need to put them all to use now!

I've done a token scarf...started on a hat, but now my "big" project is a hooded sweater for my son. Go big or go home baby! :lol:

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you in the next little while as I ask a million questions while I learn! :XX:

Chandra.

Ingrid
06-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi, my name is Ingrid, I'm a knitting addict....oh, wait, wrong inro.

I've been knitting on and off since I was 9, went through a binge of knitting when I had my children (the youngest is 24) and have been knitting virtually non-stop for the past three years or so since my grandson's great-grandmother (on the other side) made him a sweater. I mentioned to him that I could knit, and would make him a sweater. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I've made many children's sweaters, arans and intarsia, and am now hooked on fair isle for myself. (Also the usual baby blankets, scarves, hats, etc.) I'm new to the forum circuit, and find that I really enjoy it. I was glad to find this obviously friendly site! :D

KellyK
06-01-2005, 05:22 PM
And, OH MY GOODNESS are we glad to find YOU, Ingrid! Sounds like you have MUCH WISDOM that can be spread around here! WELCOME! :waving:

Nuno930
06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Hello and welcome! Nothing like a little one to get the creativeness (is that a word?) flowing!

Ingrid
06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
You bet--I showed that great-grandma a thing or two! :lol:

I take such pleasure in being able to come through when they ask me for a sweater with "a frog...dragon...fish...snake..etc." on it. I even made one with Celtic dragons on it, but I had to make it so big, by the time anyone can wear it, it won't be "cool."

Thanks for the welcome! :heart:

(I think its "creativity" ;) )

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
welcome Ingrid!

and everyone else who's joined since i posted here last :oops:

jessanddanny
06-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi! My name is Jessica and I have a 3 year old daughter Molly and a 19 month old son named Seth. I taught myself to knit last October and not a day goes by that I don't knit SOMETHING!!! I taught myself to knit so I could knit my son his cloth diaper wool soakers. He now has SOOOO many, plus knit pants, and shorts! I also have been knitting up tons of hats, scarves, and mittens for my niece and my own kids. I've quickly become a yarn ho. You should SEE the yarn I have!!! Hee...hee....

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself!

punkhippiemom
06-02-2005, 12:27 PM
:XX:
Hi, I joined here a while ago, but mostly to scam patterns and frantically knit them up :oops: not really to chat... but now I am finding the NO ONE that I know has the slightest interest in my knitting, and they all know less than I do about it... My son is the one exception, he wants me to teach him how to knit, and I probably will, as soon as I figure it out myself...
I'm currently working on a checker board for my boys, a tank top/ dress for my 3 yr old neice ( I haven't decided which it should be yet, just that it should be sleeveless LOL) and I am scouting frantically for lightweight (read "sleeveless" - they live in Florida!) maternity patterns for my sister, who is occupied with having Baby #4... thereby providing me with a reason to shop for more yarn! :inlove:
I just finished a poncho for my oldest neice, which she just loved (yay me!) and a baby blanket for my future sister-in-law... babies are in the air around here, it seems...
Anyway, hi to everyone, love this site, love reading the posts (some of you are so knotty LOL), keep it up!

:heart: Rebecca

punkhippiemom
06-02-2005, 12:41 PM
:thinking:
BTW... Just noticed this as I was skimming some of these posts.... How come so many of us that like knitting/crocheting have cats that want to get into the yarn? LOL I actually didn't start to learn to knit until after I adopted my cat...hmmm...Which comes first, the kitty or the knitting?

VickiIL
06-02-2005, 06:46 PM
:thinking:
BTW... Just noticed this as I was skimming some of these posts.... How come so many of us that like knitting/crocheting have cats that want to get into the yarn? LOL I actually didn't start to learn to knit until after I adopted my cat...hmmm...Which comes first, the kitty or the knitting?

My cats have been very happy since I have taken up knitting. On more than one occasion I have had to put the knitting down because the kitty sitting in my lap had decided to mouth the yarn. YUCK. It is not fun to be in a knitting grove and all of a sudden notice that your yarn is wet with Cat spit.... :mad:

Any ways.. I am glad you decided to post!

Mer
06-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Welcome everyone! Yes, the cat issue--one of my kitties loves to chew on the yarn, and especially loves to sit on my patterns! There's plenty of room on the couch, and she decides to plop right down on the pattern I'm reading. :rollseyes: And they got into my knitting bag the other night--I don't recommend a poorly closed velcro knitting bag to anyone with cats!

punkhippiemom
06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
LOL I'm pretty lucky, my cat thinks he's a dog, so he doesn't get into my yarn too often (my kids do, though!), but he likes to sit on the arm of the chair next to me and chase the ends of the needles as I knit! That gets annoying... So I really confused him and started using circular needles... so what does he do, he starts chasing the needle tips! Just have to deal with it, I suppose :rollseyes: but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

LittleRach
06-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone

I'm Rachel and I live in Yorkshire in England with my husband and 3 cats. I'm a student midwife duce to qualify in September, and I'm very, very new to knitting!

My grandma has knitted forever, and taught me when I was very young, but I never kept up with it. Recently I've seen so many gorgeous yarns that I decided I'd have to learn again. Unfortunately I don't live that near my grandma, so I've had to teach myself. The videos on this site have really helped though.

I've got a learn to knit booklet from Sirdar with loads of baby patterns, and so far i've made a very wonky square, and I've almost finished an almost equally wonky hat! My DH now wants a Dr Who scarf - but as these are about 13 feet long, he might be waiting a long time. :D

My main problem at the moment (as I'm only knitting, not even purling at the moment) seems to be tension. My knitting seems to be getting a bit more even the more I do, but how do I know if it's too tight or too loose?

Looking forward to chatting to everyone and hopefully learning a bit along the way. :D

Ingrid
06-03-2005, 04:32 PM
The more you knit, the more even your stitches will be. As long as you're not struggling to get the stitches from needle to needle, you're not too tight. All of us have our own personal tension, which is why patterns give you a gauge to follow. My knitting might be just enough tighter or looser than yours to make our projects entirely different sizes.

And--don't be afraid of Purl. She's a very nice stitch and is equally important as sister Knit. Unless you want to knit in garter stitch forever, don't ignore the poor girl. ;)

And BTW, welcome! I joined this forum a short while ago and received a very nice one, and you should, too. :D

KellyK
06-03-2005, 05:54 PM
WELCOME RACHEL! :waving:

I second everything Ingrid says.....practice makes perfect!

I LOVE the word WONKY....learned it from our British Activities Director! I work for a retirement community called The British Home....

Bente B
06-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone :D
I'm Bente from Norway :D I am 37 years old, I live with Tore and we have three lovely children; Madeleine (almost 12), Mathias (almost 11) and Mathea(she's 5 next month)

I am a nurse and I work at a treatmentcenter for drugaddicts. I work the nightshift, which is PERFECT for me, because it's mostly quiet there and I can knit for hours!!!!

I have knitted since I don't remember when, and I'm addicted to buying yarn, and knittingbooks on Amazon.... :oops:

I have a blog, but it's in norwegian for now...... but you can look at the pictures until I get around to translating everything...... :D

Look foreward to getting to know you better :D :D

Ingrid
06-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Welcome, Bente. What a coincidence--I'm currently knitting a sweater from the St. Moriz 2003 Norwegian National Ski Team Alpine World Championship. :XX:

My father was born in Sweden, so he'll be happy to know I communicated with a fellow Scandinavian. (He's been in this country for over 50 years, but still can't get used to Americans!) As we in the family say, you can always tell a Swede, but you can't tell him much. ;)

Sara
06-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Velkommen, Bente! We're happy to have you with us. I grew up in an area heavily populated with Norwegian immigrants, but I won't try my other Norwegian phrases on you, mainly because I can't spell them. I do know that the word for yarn is "garn".

Your projects on your website are lovely. That flower hat is wonderful.

We seem to have some things in common. I'll be 37 next week, I have a 5 year old daughter (and a 15 year old), and we both love to knit, of course! And I'll bet we both like Norwegian food! :lol:

AZ15NY2
06-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Hello.....I am so glad to have found this site and all the great information here. I look forward to getting to know all the ins and outs and hope I don't post in the wrong place.. :blush:.

I am an avid Diamondbacks fan and of course, I love, love, love knitting!

See you around the forum!

Anne

KellyK
06-04-2005, 03:43 AM
WELCOME Bente and AZ1!!

Bente...you have done some BEAUTIFUL work! I had fun trying to "guess" what the translations might be.... my imagination may have gotten ahead of me, though. "I made this sweater for my sister's daughter. My sister is in prison after being falsely accused of thievery, when in actuality, she heard something ticking in the bag of an old lady sitting next to her and was only trying to save the lives of all 15 people sitting at the bus stop by running away with her purse screaming "DUCK! EVERYONE DUCK!!!" :shifty:

Bente B
06-04-2005, 06:05 AM
WELCOME Bente and AZ1!!

Bente...you have done some BEAUTIFUL work! I had fun trying to "guess" what the translations might be.... my imagination may have gotten ahead of me, though. "I made this sweater for my sister's daughter. My sister is in prison after being falsely accused of thievery, when in actuality, she heard something ticking in the bag of an old lady sitting next to her and was only trying to save the lives of all 15 people sitting at the bus stop by running away with her purse screaming "DUCK! EVERYONE DUCK!!!" :shifty: :shock: Wow, KellyK.... how did you guess.....??????? :shifty:

:lol:

LisaD715
06-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Welcome Bente and AZ!! :XX:

SimplyKaar
06-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Welcome to all the newly joined people!!! (hm, I hope that is correct, now that I read it again it looks more like you have just been assembled :shock:)

Bente: I had a look at your weblog and it's funny to see how much I can still pick up with my limited knowledge of Swedish :)

I was wondering: the top you posted a picture from that you can order as an entire package from pinnsvindesign... is that something online with instructions in English by any chance? (or Dutch would be even better ofcourse :) )
I absolutely love it!!!

In any case: welcome aboard :)

/Karen.

Bente B
06-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Welcome to all the newly joined people!!! (hm, I hope that is correct, now that I read it again it looks more like you have just been assembled :shock:)

Bente: I had a look at your weblog and it's funny to see how much I can still pick up with my limited knowledge of Swedish :)

I was wondering: the top you posted a picture from that you can order as an entire package from pinnsvindesign... is that something online with instructions in English by any chance? (or Dutch would be even better ofcourse :) )
I absolutely love it!!!

In any case: welcome aboard :)

/Karen.Hi Karen :D I just LOVE that top from the danish designer Marianne Isager!! But I don't know if there are instructions in english with the pattern...... I think her books have been published in english, but I haven't found out which book this top is from, if it's from one of her books at all...
I think I HAVE to order the kit..... Pinnsvindesign is the only store in Norway that has these patterns and yarns..... :rollseyes:

AZ15NY2
06-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks to you all for making me feel welcome. I think I'll be a little shy until I find my way around here, but I'll try to fit in!

Anne

rebecca
06-05-2005, 04:15 PM
:waving: :waving: Welcome, welcome to our new :XX: :XY: :X: friends. I look forward to getting to know you all and I am very :D that you have decided to join us! Hope you enjoy the forum...i'm sure that u will :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
:waving: :waving:
:XX: with u later

Soxy
06-13-2005, 08:11 PM
I met Amy receently and came to see her forum, then signed on. This seems to be a very friendly fun group.

I have been knitting for more than half my life, I felt like I had found my native language when I learned to knit. Good thing no one told me it was suppose to be hard. :lol:

I like to do all types of knitting except stst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rebecca
06-14-2005, 12:35 AM
:waving: hello, hello to you ms soxy...i happen to know that Soxy is the resident guru of socks!!! AND....I'M GONNA HAVE TO SAY THIS, EVEN...Soxy, i hope u have seen the star wars movies bc u r most certainly our (before i say it...no offense to anyone else...but i've seen some of soxy's work; more so than yours, i should say & she is a retired knitting teacher!)Soxy....u r our :notworthy: master yoda :notworthy: of all :X: master yoda soxy, yes indeed...she has socks that make me :drooling: when i saw the pictures...spectacular and ya'll know i :heart: socks!!
WELCOME, WELCOME, YODA SOXY, GLAD U JOINED :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: we are a bunch of happy :XX: :XY: and to all I must bid g'nite...i'm off to type my project & library list :zzz: and :waving:

Carol_OH
06-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Hello everyone!

A big hello from me - Carol from Ohio! Thanks to Amy for her coolest site - I swear, I think I had her site opened 24/7 when I was learning to knit! I didn't realise there was a forum here until yesterday! Wow, this is great!

oh, I'm also the person behind the second-hand needles site. THanks for the lovely responses to Amy's post about it!

More later - I have a lot of reading to do here!

:D

DotMom61
06-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Carol --

Welcome! I just visited your site, and what a *great* idea! You have certainly capitalized on a great opportunity. I'll be visiting your site again the next time I need needles.

I hope you enjoy our little "neighborhood" here! We look forward to learning more about you.

KellyK
06-15-2005, 10:45 AM
WELCOME CAROL! :waving:

manoli
06-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Hello, the site looks very helpful and complete. People is really nice. I am glad to be here. :D

Ingrid
06-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Welcome Manoli--you'll find everyone here friendly and very willing to help :waving:

Soxy
06-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi manoli welcome. I'm relatively new here also!! I have found everyone to be very nice!!

Maria
06-16-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm new to the forum, although I've been visiting the site for a while now :) Now I have a place to turn to when I need a knitting question answered seeing how I know no one who knits :)

rebecca
06-16-2005, 03:28 AM
:waving: Hello and Welcome!!
Hi Carol from Ohio...glad u found us here @ the forum after using all the helpful hints & videos amy has installed here for everyone! Please don't hesitate to ask a question is u have one & can't find your answer on any of the many videos, etc...we would be more than happy to help you!! hello to you, too manoli!! the site really is helpful & so r all of he people, just ask & we will be of service if possible!! :D
hey to u Maria; I've been knitting for 1 year today and I didn't know anyone that knit either until I met some wonderful people on the internet here on this forum! Everyone is is very helpful & friendly & will be happy to help if we can.
HELLO AND WELCOME TO EACH ONE OF YOU---HOPE YOU ENJOY THE FORUM!! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW U ALL!

Soxy
06-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Maria glad you joined so everyone can get to know you!!

Knitting so much more fun when it is shared.

punkhippiemom
06-16-2005, 04:25 PM
I knit, therefore I am a useful person!

Just had to say, I love this!
Being useful is completely underrated!

:)
Rebecca

Soxy
06-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Thank you :notworthy: thank you :notworthy: thank you :notworthy:

I just feel it is time that knitters are appreciated for what they contribute to this world!!!!!!!!!

KellyK
06-17-2005, 07:20 AM
A BIG WELCOME to Soxy, Manoli, Maria and Punkhippie!! :waving:

Have you wandered over to the Blog forum yet? Starting your own thread there can be a great way to keep track of your own projects and let us get to know ya!

Soxy
06-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Kelly, thank you for the nice welcome!!

MaryB
06-30-2005, 08:38 AM
With 70 posts attached to my name I guess I'm not NEW, but I have never introduced myself. I am Mary and I am becoming a knitaholic(yarnaholic) and a KH addict. Is there hope for me? I hope not!!

I have 4 children, all grown now. I would say that I miss them, but between cell phones and e-mails I "talk" to them almost everyday. Oh yes, I have a great husband----this may explain the four children.

I started knitting when I was about 10----a very long time ago-----and recently started again. My mother was sick and knitting help me during those loooong days. Mom died two months ago, and I now find knitting helps me calm myself and brings me some kind of peace.

Mary

Ingrid
06-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Mary, welcome! I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. I'm glad you had knitting to help you sit calmly with her. I know that when I've been at the hospital with my father, knitting kept ME from climbing into the next bed!

I also have to tell you that this addiction is incurable, so keep your credit card handy and be glad your kids are out of the house--all that closet space! :shock: :shock:

MaryB
06-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks, Ingrid. I did not mean to make my post a sad thing. I really wanted to point out how theraputic yarn shopping and knitting can be. When I reread my message I realized that I ended it on a down note.
Be happy-----go knit yourself something wonderful!!
Mary

KellyK
06-30-2005, 09:27 AM
This WELCOME is a long time coming! :waving:

I know whatcha mean about knitting being theraputic. My job is so CEREBRAL that when I get home, I dont wanna think too much. Knitting is GREAT for that!

And, I am sorry about your mom. Its wonderful that you were able to find a way to get through those long days so that your time with her could be positive. Sometimes that's really hard to do!

Soxy
06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Hello Mary!!! I agree with you about :XX: When every I'm ask why I knit the frist response is always mental health!!! I'm glad you had your knitting when you needed it. With your mother in a final illness you needed to be calm and helpful and knitting can do that!!!

Soxy
06-30-2005, 11:44 AM
:doh: I realized I never actually introduced myself. I found this forum via Amy and am glad I did.

I learned to knit from a 'learn how book' in 1960, was expecting my first child. I had learned to embroidey when I was 5, then to crochet when in the 5th grade. When I learned to knit it was as if I had found my native language. I did macrame when it was 'hot'. I also learned to tat via a book, I was surprised when I learned it was a full hitch over a sliding thread.

My DH and I live in our retirement home with our dog. The three offspring are all moved on. Two still in our home state. There are 3 of the next generation as well and they live in this state but I still don't see them as much as I want.

I use to teach knitting in some lys' in Seattle. Now I teach as a volunteer at our local senior center.

Knitting has been a wonderful mental health aid for years. It got me through sitting at the orthodontist through one set of braces, through a few different hospital sessions and with my own back problem [now a thing of the past]. When I lived in Seattle I kept a simple project on the front seat of the car. At long lights I could get a few sts done and the light seemed to change faster. If/when there was a major traffic jam I sat much more patiently than the other drivers as I had my knitting. :D

brendajos
06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
lol...i am so glad that i am not the only one who has been known to knit at stop lights! i thought i was the only one...lol. I find myself getting irritated that the light isn't quite long enough now! :lol:

Mary
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
I just wanted to say "I'm so glad I found this site". Emailed a problem and Ingrid was wonderful in replying. I have been knitting on/off for years. This past year, I'm showing more interest but going slowly at it. I even bought the video on how to properly complete a sweater, etc. If I'd of found this site sooner, I wouldn't of had to spend so much money. I'm sure I will be using it on a regular basis. My computer should be on line soon from home, so you will see me more often on line.

Thank you......Mary

Soxy
06-30-2005, 08:39 PM
:lol: I think there are a lot of knitters out there that knit at stop lights but don't admite it!!! :rollseyes:

snephenie
06-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Steph. I am 29, married mother of three kids (5,4 & 2.5)
I have been crocheting since I was 19 and learned to knit about 6 weeks ago. I have finished a few scarves, have a few on needles as well as a childs poncho.
My next mission will be to do a beanie on needles. I've done them on the looms but I need to find the right sized circs first.

Here is a pic of my latest finsihed project.
And BTW... I learned to knit by the videos on this site and WOW, I am just ever so grateful.

Hope to chat with everyone soon :)

Sara
06-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Very pretty! Welcome aboard, Steph!

KellyK
06-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Welcome, Sneph! VERY pretty colors!

Soxy
07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Steph glad you added knitting to your talents!!! The more crafts we do the less likely we are to get bored!! You work looks great!!! To do such pretty things while runnig after 3 children the age of yours is mind boggling.

DaniK
07-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Hi Everyone! My name is Dani, and I live in Atlanta. I have one son, Zach, who is 12 years old.

I was originally a cross-stitcher, but last Christmas, I forgot my kit bag when I went home for holidays. Because my hands were idle, I asked my sister to show me how to knit. And I haven't stopped since. I haven't even looked at whatever cross-stitch project I was working on.

(I'm going there. ;) )

So, I get home from my sister's house and need some help with my knitting. I find this incredible site and call her. She's never seen it, but it was reasonably new. Last weekend, I was visiting again and found out that she's now a moderator! (I won't mention any names, but the pictures of that afghan do not do it justice!) So I had to register. :D

I love the site, and I have really enjoyed reading a good portion of the posts.

KellyK
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
:cheering: WELCOME SILVERS SISTER!!!! :cheering:

craftaddict
07-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Although I recently joined and have posted some replys, I don't think I
introduced myself...

I am 42, a mother of a 20 year old son (who recently flew the nest) and a 17 year old daughter and a grandmother of a 13mos old girl (who is the apple of my eye!). I have been crafting since I was old enough to remember, but knitting and crocheting since I was 8. I learned basics from my mom and great aunt and the rest I learned from "how-to" books. A co-worker came introduced me to this site. The how-to video's are awesome. I don't always get the opportunity to look at this forum after work, so I have been known to watch the videos during my lunchbreak (or whenever I need a break!). If you were to walk by my office when I am watching the video's you can see me copying what is being done with imaginary needles. As I also repeat outloud what is being said and my hands are knitting away...I have been known to get a few looks from my co-workers as the walk by... :roflhard:

I am almost finished working on the diagonal scarf in the creative knitting magazine. I have found working w/fun fur to both great fun and extremely challenging. I get distracted at times and forget where I am in the pattern; what row I'm on.. or put down my work, only to discover that my granddaughter was "helping me" when I get back.. so I need to frog back a few rows and the "fur" gets tangled up. But I don't let it beat me!

When I'm finished, if I can master the digital camera..I hope to post a picture.

KellyK
07-06-2005, 11:41 PM
WELCOME craftaddict! :waving:

pinky
07-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey,

First of all, thanks to Amy for an amazing website!
I started knitting 4or5 days ago and I'm hooked already.
It's very thereputic after a long day at work :)
I couldnt have learnt the basics so quickly if it wasn't for the awesome videos on this site!! :thumbsup:

I'm 22 years old and live with my boyfriend and 2 doggies in New Zealand.
Thought I'd send you a pic of my first projects.
My boyfriend likes wearing these wrist warmer things while hes playing games on the computer, LOL.

I love looking at all the great ideas on the forums, it's very inspiring!
Phone cover is a brilliant idea!

:cheering:

Ingrid
07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Welcome Pinky! I love being able to 'talk' to people from different countries! You'll like it here!

pinky
07-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks Ingrid!! :happydance:

DotMom61
07-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Welcome, Pinky! Your first two projects look great! (I love the yarn.)

I homeschool my children, and we were recently doing some studying about New Zealand, and now we all want to visit!! What a beautiful country!

KellyK
07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
OMG Pinky! You knit those after only 4-5 DAYS?? :shock: You're a NATURAL!

Welcome! :happydance:

Aby
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm 22 years old and live with my boyfriend and 2 doggies in New Zealand.

W00T! I'm currently finishing up a lovely ribbon scarf for a great friend of mine in Hokitika! Welcome to KH!

brendajos
07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
yeah i decided i don't like Pinky based on those pictures alone! sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh...

:rollseyes: and i still mostly just knit square things.....on the plus side though...it is cuz i don't wanna have to pay a lot of attention to a pattern...lol

WELCOME!!!! :balloons:

Mary
07-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm so glad that I found your website. I have been knitting for years but I always wanted to do a better job of knitting and doing it the proper way. I know I'm going to learn a lot from eveyone. I am retiring soon and have alread decided that I was going to have internet at home, so I plan on checking "knitting help" as much as I can.

Mary

JGM
07-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I started out crocheting about 5 years ago, I learned in college in a group and then taught myself how to knit from intructions on the internet probably about 3 years ago. I've started two projects so far, a blanket and a hoodie, which are still both unfinished. I tend to start a lot of things and then take forever to finish them. I either can't find the time or get bored with the project. But I've recently picked these two back up and am trying to finish them. I am a guy by the way. I found this site just a few days ago and was excited to discover the forum. Nobody else I know knits or really crochets, so it'll be cool to talk to you all about that sort of thing.

DotMom61
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Welcome, Mary and JGM!!

Mary -- if you're like the rest of us, you'll be spending way *more* time here than you should. :oo: It's rather addictive.

And, JGM, I hope you've noticed that there are at least a couple of other guys out here, too! I think you all ought to start a blog thread just for guys ... so we girls can come in and there and eavesdrop. :hee hee:

Good luck finishing those two projects. I think we are all a little "ADD" when it comes to our projects. I know I keep finding more things to start!

I hope you all enjoy your time here!

brendajos
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
i don't know...our guys have been pretty quiet lately!...who's gonna wake them up?

Nuno930
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Welcome Pinky! My bestfriend is trying to get me to move to NZ!

mary- Glad you found us!

JGM- Welcome! Yay! more men knitters!

KellyK
07-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Always glad to have more knitmen!

Welcome JGM! :waving:

And, Im glad to have you here, too, Mary...even if you ARE a girl! ;)

Ingrid
07-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Welcome all! This place is a wealth of information and a hoot, too. Just look at the post above! :D

punkhippiemom
07-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Welcome, Mary and JGM!!

Mary -- if you're like the rest of us, you'll be spending way *more* time here than you should. :oo: It's rather addictive.

Ain't that the truth??? :roflhard:

Hi all y'all, enjoy your stay! This place is great!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi JGM, Mary and Pinky! Glad you're here! One of you is our 1000th member, I think, yay!

Aby
07-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Hilde, wendyinarizona is the 1000th member. :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-08-2005, 12:42 AM
I know, I saw amy's post!!!!! :doh:

Hi Wendy!

Soxy
07-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Pinky your are doing fab!!! for a brand new knitter!! Keep up the good work.

I made me some of the hand warmers for reading in bed. I don't like my bedroom to be warm but don't like cold hands either. :D

Soxy
07-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi JGM, glad to have you in the knitting world. While I was teaching in a lys we had a few men come in to buy yarn but non of them needed lessons. One was a fisherman in Alaska and knit as there was nothing else to do excpt things he didn't want to get involved in. He knit sweaters for homeless while there and always stocked up on yarn before then next trip back.

craftaddict
07-08-2005, 07:48 PM
While I was teaching in a lys we had a few men come in to buy yarn but non of them needed lessons. One was a fisherman in Alaska and knit as there was nothing else to do excpt things he didn't want to get involved in. He knit sweaters for homeless while there and always stocked up on yarn before then next trip back.

That is totally awesome If I had thought of an Alaskian fisherman (before you told this story).. I don't think I would have pictured him knitting sweaters for the homeless...

LisaD715
07-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow, been a while since I posted on this thread.....

Welcome Pinky, craftaddict, Mary and JGM!! I am sure you will fit right in!! Pinky, 5 days?!?!?!?! You are awesome girl!!

Happy knitting!! :XX: :XX:

JGM
07-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and thanks too to all future welcomes :) I'm going to try to post some pictures of my works in progress and my first project that I forgot I made!

jodstr2
07-09-2005, 03:51 PM
welcome welcome to all the new faces! you will love it in here!
:D :D :D
:waving: :waving: :waving:

Ariane
07-11-2005, 09:06 AM
New to this fanastic site...Im a regualar in a few other knitting forums, but this one is by far the best! You gals are so helpful and quick to help another knitter in need. :thumbsup:

KellyK
07-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Well, HEY, Ariane! Glad to be of help! WELCOME! :waving:

Joel
07-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Its been a while since I managed to make it onto this thread....

So..... Hola!, Wilkommen!, Aloha!, G'Day Mate, Bonjour, Ohayo Gozaimasu! (Just trying to cover my language bases here.) lol

Welcome to Pinky, craftaddict, Mary, JGM, and Ariane! Hopefully I didnt miss anyone, and in case I did...

:waving:

Wow Pinky! You did more in 5 days than I did in 2 months. :notworthy: Great FOs.

JGM - Welcome to you from another male knitter. (By the way - I spent years in SE Michigan. My parents are in a NE Detroit suburb still.)

JGM
07-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I guess I'm really in a NE Detroit suburb too.

craftaddict
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
thank you for your warm welcome. I really love the fact that there are
so many fellow-knitters from all over. It's great to read and see the
projects that everyone is working on. I have learned a great deal from
many people.

I have a funny..(and I'm blonde...so it will explain a lot!).. I purchased a
pattern that simply calls for 16" circular needles. It's a child's hat project... (it also calls for dpn 6 or 7). I have the dpn's; but I didn't have a 16" circular. Not entirely certain what I needed.. I went to Michael's..
they had a 15 and a 17 needle.... so I figured I'd pick up a 15...
after trying the pattern for a bit...the light bulb went off! I'm going to check Amy's video's re: circular knitting. She was so kind to show me how to knit circular...and casually mentioned that she uses 16"... from point to point! LIGHT BULB went off! Now I'm on the hunt for 16" circular... but they way I figure it.....I know have a circular needle size 15, 29".... just in case I ever need one. :oops:

Born on 4 of 7
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi, I am a new self taught knitter. I have been knitting since November of 2004. I decided to learn when I found out I was going to be an Aunt, and have become totally addicted. I have been lurking on this site for awhile and finally decided to join. This is the best site. You all make me laugh so hard :roflhard:. Everyones FO's are beautiful :inlove: and have inspired me. So far I have knit a hat, cardigan and bootie set for my niece Emily (shes 3 months old now), a baby blanket for Emily, 4 scarfs, 6 hats, 11 dish cloths, 6 towel topper for dish towel. I have started 2 hooded sweatshirts from Bernat.com (xmas presents for my brothers). I have a 14 soon to be 15 year old daughter, 3 cats (who I treat like my children), 2 Ferrets(also my children,(I used to have 13). I hope to start my own blog to show some of my FO's and kids.

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Welcome 4!!!! You have been a busy girl since November!!!! We are so glad you are here!!

Cannot wait to see your FO's!

Ingrid
07-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Welcome all! :waving:

JGM
07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I have started 2 hooded sweatshirts from Bernat.com (xmas presents for my brothers).

Welcome 4 of 7. Is that like 6 of 9?

Might you have pictures of hoodies from bernat.com? Just wondering if it's the same one I'm working on. I'd like to see someone else work on it.

Born on 4 of 7
07-13-2005, 08:06 AM
JGM, I do not have a picture to post yet, but I went back and looked at the link on your post and it is the same hoodie. I just started it sunday so I have only gotten 8inches done so far. I am using Bernats super value, the main color is black and it will have a yellow stripe (brothers fav). The second one will be demin heather with a heather gray stripe.
My screen name doesnt mean 4 of 7 kids I was born on the 4th of July. My mother will never let me live it down that she missed a hugh BBQ that day :lol:
LisaD. thanks for the welcome. I just fell in love with knitting. I cant get enough. Not much else gets done at home :blush: and I tend to get mad when things (appointments, work) cut into my knitting time.

craftaddict
07-13-2005, 08:27 AM
I cant get enough. Not much else gets done at home :blush: and I tend to get mad when things (appointments, work) cut into my knitting time.

You and me both 4 of 7.... :thumbsup:

LisaD715
07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
That makes 3 of us......and another fellow cancer!! Woot! My b'day is Friday and my son was born on the 3rd. Happy belated!!

JGM
07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
JGM, I do not have a picture to post yet, but I went back and looked at the link on your post and it is the same hoodie. I just started it sunday so I have only gotten 8inches done so far. I am using Bernats super value, the main color is black and it will have a yellow stripe (brothers fav). The second one will be demin heather with a heather gray stripe.
My screen name doesnt mean 4 of 7 kids I was born on the 4th of July. My mother will never let me live it down that she missed a hugh BBQ that day :lol:
LisaD. thanks for the welcome. I just fell in love with knitting. I cant get enough. Not much else gets done at home :blush: and I tend to get mad when things (appointments, work) cut into my knitting time.

That's awesome that we are knitting the same hoodie! Let me know if you have any Q's. 6 of 9 was a bad trekkie joke. I'm not a trekkie though.

Aello
07-14-2005, 02:55 AM
Hi everyone. I am new around here and a new knitter as well. I am obsessed.. Heck I even dream about knitting now lol. I have finished a few projects already, but I couldn't have done it without this site.. Actually Amy your videos taught me how :D Thank you so much Amy I could just kiss you as I have a new Love.. *starts hoarding yarn* :inlove:

Ellen Edwards
07-14-2005, 04:36 AM
I'm so pleased to find this site! I rememebr my grandmother and great aunt knitting socks with tiny steel neeldes and white cotton crochet thread when I was about 4, I guess. They taught me to crochet, but knitting was too advanced for me. Now I'm trying, and I'm ripping quite a bit. I seem to drop stitches easily and don't know how to get them back on. And if they slip off the needle, I can't figure how to get them back on either! BUT--i am GOING to learn this......but I sure could use all the help I can get!! :?? :?? :??

rebecca
07-14-2005, 05:19 AM
:waving: Hey Ellen,
I'm so please that you decided to join our forum :D . Have you looked over any of the helpful videos that Amy has so thoughtfully recorded for everyone? I'm sure that you will find a lot of help there and we are always around to offer a helping hand ;) . Right now I would like to offer my hand in friendship and say, welcome, welcome new :XX: knitty friend and to tell you that I sure look forward to getting to know you ;) .
:waving: bye for now

KellyK
07-14-2005, 07:27 AM
WELCOME Aello and Ellen! :waving:

Ellen, Rebecca is right....Amy has some VERY nice videos on picking up dropped stitches. Check 'em out!

Aello, I am imagining Amy's mailbox being FILLED with bags of Hershey's Kisses! :rofling:

craftaddict
07-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome Aello and Ellen..

Ellen: I too, learned to crochet first when I was young. Knitting just
seemed to flow from there. I was fortunate enough to have been born
into a family that had a lot of great aunt who loved to not only crochet, but knit as well. Do check out Amy's video's... even tho' I've been
knitting off & on since I was 12...she taught me some new tricks. She
explains things as she visually shows you how to do it. How great is that!

Dropped stiches...heck just about everyone does that...

Aello: hoarding yarn is one of my passions... :XX: :happydance:

Born on 4 of 7
07-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Thank you, LisaD and Happy B-day to you too and belated to your son. I am a typical Cancer, a crab :rofling: .

JGM, that is cool that we are knitting the same hoodie. Thanks for the offer to answer any ?'s I know I will have some.

Welome Aello and Ellen.

Ellen I too had problems with dropped stitches and I just learned how to pick them up with a crochet hook. Amy's video's are the best, seeing being done as it is explained to you :thumbsup:

Icyshard
07-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello all! I just registered for the forum after weeks of lurking because I just HAD to offer my $.02 on the OT Soap Opera thread!

Anyway, I've been knitting since May when I bought the S&B book and thankfully stumbled on this great site. The videos have been indispensible!

I've already completed a few projects, am currently working on the Clapotis, and am probably being a bit overly ambitious, but I signed up for the Mystery Shawlalong! :XX:

kemp
07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
Glad you delurked!

One of the yahoo groups I belong to was talking about there being a claptios KAL HERE (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Clapotisknitalong2005/)

misstialouise
07-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Tia-Louise. I'm a 29 year old, married woman from Sydney, Australia.

I've only recently re-picked up my needles after QUITE a few years, and I'm even venturing 'beyond the scarf', with my first sock project ready to be started!

I also do crochet, tatting, cross stitch (just to name a *few* other crafts). I find fibre crafts help me relax.

I've started an 'iPod' cover using DPN's (2.75mm), which is a breath away from being finished. I'm quite proud, as it's my own pattern (not that knitting a tube with a flap).

I'm keen to learn new techniques, and share my experiences :D

Ingrid
07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Welcome! Always good to have someone from 'down-under.' All that access to sheep! :D Seriously, you've come to a party--and you might get some knitting in, too.

LisaD715
07-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi Tia-Louise!! Welcome!! Pretty fun bunch around here!! :XX: :XX:

meknitter
07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I just found this site - WOW! Spent hours trying to catch up on the projects, hints, etc..... a lively group!

I've been knitting off and on for 18 years. I use to make all the sweaters for my children until they reached the age (early teens) where it wasn't "cool" any more - ugh, but now their lists are longer than mine :happydance:

I've only made three things for myself - cotton top, vest and a sweater.

I just finished a pocketbook that I am waiting to felt (never done it before and am hesitant to throw all that work in the machine :crying: So for the past week it has been sitting in my knitting bag.

I am currently working on a v-neck sleeveless top (cotton) with a cabled front and only have the front of a sweater (for myself) left to knit.

I always do better finishing projects in a "timely" fashion if I am knitting for some one else or for a gift.

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Welcome! We have some experienced felters here, so don't hesitate to ask! You'll enjoy it here. :D

DotMom61
07-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Tia! Glad you came in to join the festivities! I've always wanted to visit Australia (*and* New Zealand!). Happy knitting to you!!!

DotMom61
07-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Meknitter --

Welcome! We can always use seasoned knitters around here -- especially those of us who seem to get themselves in too deep by trying out projects we're not quite ready for yet. :oops:

I hope you can post some pics of some of your projects soon. We love pictures!!!

Oh, and just toss that baby in the washer. I'm knitting up a Lopi Felted Tote right now. I'm sure I'll have some of the same misgivings about getting it all wet!! Good luck. What pattern did you use?

Vendie
07-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi all,
all the hours i've spent going over the videos and patterns and such and never ventured over to the forum before, what was i thinking???

i've been knitting for about 2 years, just picked up crochet a few months ago, and then afghan crochet a couple of weeks ago. and somehow i can still fit in talking about knitting!! i'm currently working on christmas presents (scarves for everyone), afghan squares for a knitting group at work, and maybe something for myself...in about a month i plan on hauling my big box of yarn down to Cape Hatteras and knitting on a big porch overlooking the Sound. is that heaven or what? :heart:

look forward to chatting with and learning from all of you!
xoxo
wendie

Julie
07-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Welcome, Wendie! :waving:

craftaddict
07-26-2005, 08:07 PM
welcome! This place is awsome!

meknitter
07-26-2005, 08:37 PM
I used the booga bag pattern and noro kureyon yarn. It was really easy and a good knit to go along with TV.

I've read that I should put it in a zippered pillow case along with a few pair of jean, then block it (stuff it). I was thinking of using a shoe box (If I can find one small enough).... any other suggestions??

DotMom61
07-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I used the booga bag pattern and noro kureyon yarn. It was really easy and a good knit to go along with TV.

I've read that I should put it in a zippered pillow case along with a few pair of jean, then block it (stuff it). I was thinking of using a shoe box (If I can find one small enough).... any other suggestions??

Oooo ... you'll have to post a picture for us when it's all done. How about a before & after since you haven't taken the plunge yet??? And, yes, all that you've planned sounds like what I've read, too. I think the key is finding a box the right size. Again: Good luck!

KellyK
07-26-2005, 09:49 PM
i plan on hauling my big box of yarn down to Cape Hatteras and knitting on a big porch overlooking the Sound. is that heaven or what? :heart:

AAAAAAAHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Im feeling more replaxed just THINKING about it!!

Welcome, Wendie, Meknitter and Tia!! :waving:

meknitter
07-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Fibergirl -

Pure heaven! Can't wait to hear about your project when you get back! Some of my favorite (most productive) needlework was done looking out over the water... good luck, have fun and enjoy!

Do you know what you are going to be working on?

Stonington
07-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Welcome! :balloons: This is the most fantastic site! Everyone is upbeat and very generous... :cheering: You will all love it here I am sure!

Kelley
07-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I am fairly new to knitting - I started about 7 months ago. I have searched online for information about knitting before, and I can't believe that I didn't come across this site until last night!! I love the video tutorials, and I love knowing that I can now ask my million-and-one questions :)

By the way - I just LOVE the knitting emoticon!!! LOL Too cool!!

Ingrid
07-27-2005, 09:25 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone! I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a lot there. Now if there was some way to have snacks. :thinking:

DotMom61
07-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Welcome, Kelley!! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun here. We're a little nutty, but you can't find a better place to be!!! Glad you're here!

(Ingrid: That's it. I'm coming over. What are you having?)

kome
07-28-2005, 12:30 AM
I've only been here a few days (I've learned to knit from this site) and I've already knit a hat! This site has been so helpful, and the people even more so. Thank you so much for helping me out. I'm so excited to start another project! :heart: :XX:

KellyK
07-28-2005, 07:58 AM
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME Kelley and Kome!! :waving:

Here ya go, Ingrid & Dot...
http://www.madebyrebecca.com/baskets/snacks/81623GMA.jpg

And for those of you who need "HEALTH" :P
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/appetizers/appimg/vegtray.jpg

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Mmmm. Yummy! Thanks. What a way to diet, huh! ;)

Vendie
07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Fibergirl -

Pure heaven! Can't wait to hear about your project when you get back! Some of my favorite (most productive) needlework was done looking out over the water... good luck, have fun and enjoy!

Do you know what you are going to be working on?

I'm not sure right now. I was thinking Christmas presents, but then I realized that all the recipients will be there....Well shoot, I might just have to go to the LYS and come up with new project for my KIP and keep the Christmas scarves T.O.P secret. :eyebrow: Darn, I just hate going to my LYS...

lisa e
07-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Just joined the forum today. So I thought that I would say HI.

Without knittinghelp I NEVER would have figured it out! Thank GOD for the videos. I must have watched a couple of them 10 times before it clicked.

I am a total new knitter. I have a baby blanket going right now that is about half done. I have to put it aside for now because I am getting a bit bored with it and want to go on to a quick fix and portable vacation project.

Hiya Silver!!

twiggyann
07-29-2005, 03:50 AM
Hi Lisa!!!!

KellyK
07-29-2005, 07:18 AM
:waving: welcome welcome, Lisa!

Ingrid
07-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi to everyone I've missed! Welcome to the party! :balloons:

lisa e
07-29-2005, 11:42 AM
HI Twig........I should have known I would find you here too. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the world of yarn addiction, Lisa!! We're glad your here! :sunny:

kome
07-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Haha. That fits my diet perfectly Kellyk. Is that.... bad? :thinking:

And welcome everyone! :cheering:

KellyK
07-30-2005, 08:22 PM
You can eat anything you want, as long as you dont stain your knitting. ;)

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 11:35 PM
You can eat anything you want, as long as you dont stain your knitting. ;)

Speaking of which, how were the pierogi's??

Isamar
08-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Amy:

Thank you so much for creating this site! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I began knitting in my last birthday (Nov,19) with the help of my mom in-law. Unfortunatelly I cant visit her often so I've been learning from books, which is not easy here in Mexico since our editorial houses are really small and not interested in variated topics.

I wasnt surprised at all when I discoverd that only ONE book about knitting is written in Spanish (argentinian from the 80s). And I didnt hope to find it in bookstores. In fact, when I ask for it in the biggest bokkstore in the city, they couldnt find it in the inventory. I hace to give them the ISBN number, and even with that they werent able to get it for me.

So, I was obligated to import books buying them on line. Barely for laernign basic skills. My husband go to an Autoshow in Chicago and bought me the Knitter hand book, which was usefull and, at the same time, confusing.

Since my birthday I manage to knitt two sweaters for my daughters-dogs, add a collar to a poncho that my in-law knitt for me, and knitt and tree times the same sweater for my husband which enda as a scarf...javascript:emoticon(':blush:') I may say proudly, that all these knits were created without using a pattern... some how I manage to create them.

I recently bought a pattern book and I've been trying to understand the terms by comparing instruction books and reference sites on the Net but Im far from succes. So, I googled for help on two color knitting and find you.

I love your videos!!! I honestly think is the best way to learn! And I find the users so adorable!!! I just read the forum about Harry Potter (which Im a huge fan) and breath away: finally!! knitters who love to talk about knitters, and Potter, and almost everything I desperatly need to talk about! (Hope I can find some Star Wars fans too...)

So, thank you.. And hello to everybody!!!!javascript:emoticon(':cheering:') Hope you all can forgive my rusty English... its been so long since I used it...

Thank you again, adn see you in the next row.
Isamar

KellyK
08-01-2005, 07:16 AM
BIENVENIDOS, ISAMAR! :waving:

Im so glad you found this site! Everyone here has benefited from those videos. Amy is one wonderful chica!

How awful that you cant find good knitting books! :(

And, dont worry about your english. I thought it was quite good! You are going to meet people from all over the world here, anyway. Ireland, Germany, England, Canada, and the Netherlands are just a few countries in which our members live. I think I remember someone saying that their english improved just by chatting with all of us!

I am almost done reading Harry Potter...I hope Ill be able to join that thread SOON!

Isamar
08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
This is so new for me!!! I mean knitting and talking new people in forums... is really really new for me.

I hav had bad experiences metting people through the net... So I suspended my online life for.. mmm, lets see... 7 years? I think something like that. But now my life its totally diferent and Im willing to try new things.

I was hopping that not only US people (I never get us to call you americans... even when i have 2 US citizens siblings)and English speakers were :oops: in this site, but I havent found anybody who speaks Spanish or French. So... I will practice my english I think, and hope to improve it... and my net skills, and my knitting skills... anda my crocheting skills, and my almost dead social
ones hahahaha...

And probably, in return, I could teach some spanish... or better, some chilango words!!! :happydance:

Isalithe
08-02-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm awful at introductions, but feel compelled to introduce myself.

I've been knitting off and on (mostly off) for about 15 years, but only recently got back into it about two years ago. I'm not all that good, but I enjoy it. Most of my projects are small and involve rectangles, but I think I do okay.

I've recently learned that working on small needle is not for me. I knitted a small stuffed animal on 2s and never want to see those needles again!

So, hi. Here I am :)

KellyK
08-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Im glad we'll see you around, Isamar, and....

WELCOME Isalithe!

(Wow! 2 Isa's!)

DotMom61
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Welcome Isamar & Isalithe!!

Isamar: You will add another cultural dimension to our group, and that's always a good thing! So glad you're here! (And your English is just fine!! Maybe we should all bone up on our Spanish!! Yikes!)

Isalithe: I'm so glad you introduced yourself even though you say you're not good at it. Just jump in and join the conversation. I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we all love to meet new people.

Welcome! Welcome!

Isamar
08-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Isamar its just a puzzle from Maríaisabel, whic is my real name. Everybody calls me María... so I wan to live in Ameeericaaaa! jejeje.

So Isalith, is your nick name a puzlle from your real name too?

Kelly, I have always thought that for a country with so many inmigration its really odd that Spahish isn't a full well known language like for us mexican is English... So.. if you have any curiosity of learning some I will be thrilled by helping!!

One for the road: we call knit stitches, derechos, which literally translated will be straights. And purl stitch is called revés, which coudl be translated, backwards..

So, thinking of this, Knitting bilingually its... more confusing than begin a fully yo pattern!!

Now I'm knitting in pocho style. :lol: Smthing like... Primera vuelta, knitear . Segunda vuelta, basta (yo), 2 slp, y purlea...

Its completly unnacceptable for a published writter!!! JAJAJA

M

Ingrid
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Hello and Hola fellow 'I's. I'm sorry, that's the extent of my Spanish. :waving:

rebecca
08-02-2005, 12:24 PM
:waving: Hello and WELCOME, all!! How wonderfully nice to meet new people, especially new :X: people! Looking forward to getting to know everyone :D

kome
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Amy:

Thank you so much for creating this site! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I began knitting in my last birthday (Nov,19) with the help of my mom in-law. Unfortunatelly I cant visit her often so I've been learning from books, which is not easy here in Mexico since our editorial houses are really small and not interested in variated topics.

I wasnt surprised at all when I discoverd that only ONE book about knitting is written in Spanish (argentinian from the 80s). And I didnt hope to find it in bookstores. In fact, when I ask for it in the biggest bokkstore in the city, they couldnt find it in the inventory. I hace to give them the ISBN number, and even with that they werent able to get it for me.

So, I was obligated to import books buying them on line. Barely for laernign basic skills. My husband go to an Autoshow in Chicago and bought me the Knitter hand book, which was usefull and, at the same time, confusing.

Since my birthday I manage to knitt two sweaters for my daughters-dogs, add a collar to a poncho that my in-law knitt for me, and knitt and tree times the same sweater for my husband which enda as a scarf...javascript:emoticon(':blush:') I may say proudly, that all these knits were created without using a pattern... some how I manage to create them.

I recently bought a pattern book and I've been trying to understand the terms by comparing instruction books and reference sites on the Net but Im far from succes. So, I googled for help on two color knitting and find you.

I love your videos!!! I honestly think is the best way to learn! And I find the users so adorable!!! I just read the forum about Harry Potter (which Im a huge fan) and breath away: finally!! knitters who love to talk about knitters, and Potter, and almost everything I desperatly need to talk about! (Hope I can find some Star Wars fans too...)

So, thank you.. And hello to everybody!!!!javascript:emoticon(':cheering:') Hope you all can forgive my rusty English... its been so long since I used it...

Thank you again, adn see you in the next row.
Isamar

If you would still like a book, I would recommend "Stitch N' Bitch: A Knitter's Handbook" It's got step by step learning and is sooo humorous. :roflhard:

It's also got 50 patterns and pictures in it. I'm so glad that I bought it. :thumbsup:

Ronda
08-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi! I'm Ronda. My neighbor knitted my daughter a scarf over the winter using some of that funky yarn. (You'll have to forgive my lack of terminology, I know nothing about knitting!) Needless to say, both my daughter and I fell in love! Now we both want to knit. (She is 7 though so I'm not quite sure I'll be able to teach her yet.) I went to Michael's and bought a little "learn to knit" kit for $15 and so far I have learned how to cast on and do the knit stitch. I've been practicing making little squares just to get my tension right. I've never knitted before! I cross stitch, and on some of the more complicated stitches in cross stitch, I have been able to find "animated stitches" on the Internet, so I figured there had to be something similar for knitting. A Google search brought me here! It's been fun looking around the site. The little movies/demonstrations have been a BIG help! Thank you!!! I'm so anxious to start making something other than little squares though! As soon as I learn to (what is it called? - bind off?) then I will move on to the next step. :) Just wanted to say hi! :D

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Welcome Ronda! There's a lot to learn and a lot of fun here. Dive right in. :D

kimmie
08-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Hola Isamar!
Welcome! A long time ago, when I was about 12 years old, I had to choose whether to learn French or Spanish. Neither language was spoken where I lived, but my older sister had lived in France for awhile, so I chose French. Little did I know that there would be a LOT of Spanish speaking people in the U.S. I took 10 years of French and spoke it fairly well, but then completely lost my ability because no one around me speaks it. If only I had learned Spanish!! It is everywhere. So many jobs want bilingual Spanish speakers. It is a huge advantage. My son had to make the same French/Spanish choice and I quickly told him that Spanish he can use all the time, so he's taking that. You are so lucky that you can use two languages so well.
:) kimmie

Isamar
08-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Kome:

Thanx for the recomendation. I have that on my Wish list in amazon. I've already bought: Knitter handbook (complicated, old fashined, but good reference), Knitting and crocheting for idiots (where I learned how to do cables), Viva Poncho, Dogs in knits and The Knitted rug. I wasn't sure about Stitch N' Bitch cuase it would probably result too local, but I will buy it any way eventually since is the most recomended.
I think my next buy will be some books of crochet. I hace this options: Hip to crochet, Crocheting School: a complete course, and 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans : Crochet Squares to Mix and Match. Any recomendaction???

Kimmie

I think nobody woudl think that US would be so poblated with hispanic people!!! Certainly not one of our best options as mexicans... unl ess you can go to the US like my brother, who was needed and searched by a big company. Any way, life is like this and know we all haver to be bilingual in some level. Do you know that Univision was the most seen network last month? Blame all those mexican telenovelas. To be honest, I don't watch them (probably one of the most imported producto of my country and I dont use it :thinking: ).

I'm de-rusting mu french in a free tutorial online. So I looked for an English-Spanish free tutorial so you can learn the basics, and I was surprised by how many there are!!!! I search 5 of them and I think this is a good option

http://www.spanishunlimited.com/lessons/

So.. if your son is doing it, you will have someone to practice!!! I will keep my eyes open to find some other options so you could learn... I love to think that will be my contribution to this already complete site.

HI RHONDA!!! If yo were struggling to learn how to's in knitting (as I was) this will be the perfecto place to learn!!! Have you see al the videos???.

M

Ronda
08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Isamar - I love the videos on this site! I prefer the cast on method that I learned here over the one I learned in my book. It really has made a difference! Last night I watched the video for binding off, and that went very well, too! Tonight I will try the purl stitch!

I just love this site! :heart:

ekgheiy
08-05-2005, 07:54 AM

SassyLassie
08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I am a new knitter, and I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this fantastic website. I do not know why I decided to learn how to knit--it just came over me. Now I am driven and determined to master this art (or at least create something that others can recognize).

My Nana knew how to knit. I remember watching her and thinking I wanted nothing do to with knitting/sewing/or any other domesticated art. I was so naive (and dumb). I guess I had thought knitting (like other domesticated arts) were examples of women having to do for others, I never contemplated it was women doing for themselves. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I know I am learning for me. How relaxing the knit stich is; a few minutes equivalent to 1 hour of pilates (the purl stich is not so relaxing yet--still is giving me a hard time.)

Now, I would give anything to sit with my Nana and see her fingers flying and learn this beautiful art from her. Alas, I am on my own (my mom was a working 70's mom who also shied away from "domestication") so it was so nice to find this great knitting community.

I have only been at it a few days but I am so passionate about learning--I have been craving any spare time so I can practice my stiches.

Amy, I want to thank you for all the wonderful information you have compiled here. Your videos have been a Godsend. I feel as if I have met a good friend. My kids feel as if they know you as well, as they keep seeing and hearing you go through the knitting moves. Thank you.

Ingrid
08-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome! :cheering:

KellyK
08-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Sassy, what a GREAT intro! Thanks for all you said about our little community here....lots of us have made GREAT friends. Glad to have you along!

GlenBoRTR
08-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi Folks!
I'm Glen... I've been visiting this site for a few months (ever since I started knitting). I think it's now time that I start posting a few topics... I've got to thank AMY for her great videos 7 & teaching me how to knit!!

I work as a Mobile Radiographer in Toledo, OH... I also have a few small businesses that are doing "fair". I make perfume (http://www.newclaudio.com), and I make puppy perfume (http://www.scratchnsniffus.com). I also have a booming Low Carb (http://www.kickthecarbz.com) business.

In my "free time", I like to weight train (I've lost a total of 80 pounds over the past 2 years). I work on Stained Glass projects, play with my annimals (1 Chow Chow, 1 Tea Cup Chihuahia, 1 cats, 2 HUGE birds, and a bunch of Koi in my 1500 gallon water garden.

My latest hobbis is Knitting (or course). I've made a TON os scarfs, pot tolders & sweaters for my little chihuahua. I've started a felted bird house, a few hats, and an Afghan. Maybe I'll tackle a sweater in the near future.

I must say that I feel a little out of place in a knitting forum... Not quite the "manly-est" hobby in the world.

Hope to talk to everyone soon!

Glen

The mod squad was here.
(Just to fix your links)

Vendie
08-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Glen - welcome to KH! Just remember REAL MEN KNIT. We need more here!

Ingrid
08-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Knitting not manly? Who do you think knit sailor's socks back in the day? You're not the only guy here, so don't worry about us picking on you. ;) Welcome. :D

Silver
08-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Welcome Glen!! :waving:

Knitters love Knitters... be them men or women or dogs! :heart:
Although a knitting dog would ROCK.

Joel
08-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Folks!
I'm Glen... I've been visiting this site for a few months (ever since I started knitting). I think it's now time that I start posting a few topics... I've got to thank AMY for her great videos 7 & teaching me how to knit!!

I work as a Mobile Radiographer in Toledo, OH... I also have a few small businesses that are doing "fair". I make perfume (http://www.newclaudio.com), and I make puppy perfume (http://www.scratchnsniffus.com). I also have a booming Low Carb (http://www.kickthecarbz.com) business.

In my "free time", I like to weight train (I've lost a total of 80 pounds over the past 2 years). I work on Stained Glass projects, play with my annimals (1 Chow Chow, 1 Tea Cup Chihuahia, 1 cats, 2 HUGE birds, and a bunch of Koi in my 1500 gallon water garden.

My latest hobbis is Knitting (or course). I've made a TON os scarfs, pot tolders & sweaters for my little chihuahua. I've started a felted bird house, a few hats, and an Afghan. Maybe I'll tackle a sweater in the near future.

I must say that I feel a little out of place in a knitting forum... Not quite the "manly-est" hobby in the world.

Hope to talk to everyone soon!

Glen

The mod squad was here.
(Just to fix your links)

Hey Glen. Welcome to the forum. It's been interesting seeing the number men increasing even since I joined the forum back in April. Whether it's manly or "knot"... it's a pretty cool hobby. And just because you knit doesnt make you any less of a man. Glad to hear you'll be adding your perspective to the forum. Looking forward to hearing your thougts and perspectives on the threads.

KellyK
08-14-2005, 04:52 PM
HI GLEN! :waving:

OK - we are going to need a few things from you.

1. PICTURES OF YOUR POOCHES!!! We are a puppy-lovin bunch.
2. Link to the pattern for the sweater you knit for your chihuahua! My Howie gets COLD in the winter!!

GlenBoRTR
08-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Kelly...
I have pics of my kids on my "Newbie Question" thread... But you can never have too many pics of cute animals... RIGHT???

GlenBoRTR
08-14-2005, 08:30 PM
And this is another one of Opie Joe!!!

Pebbles sweater patterns came from the "Family Circle Easy Knitting" Magazine. I'm not sure of the issue... I gave it back to my friend!
:crying:

KellyK
08-14-2005, 08:32 PM
HELLOOOOOOO PEBBLES! She looks like she needs a sexy BOYFRIEND!!

(I hope ya dont mind...I edited your pic for size. :shifty: )

Jivewhistle
08-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Welcome Glen! (And all the other newbies I've missed lately). Glen, just wanted to say I'm originally from Toledo...moved here a couple years ago. Your dogs are cute!! :cheering:

sogrammatical
08-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I just arrived here last weekend after discovering I'd forgotten how to cast on, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Hello! I'm a student at Smith College in Massachusetts. I'm going to be a junior in the fall and I'm double majoring in mathematics and chemistry.

Last fall, I learned how to crochet because I wanted to make myself a hat; this then turned into 20 more hats for a fundraiser for a club I'm in. I'm quite good at hats. And then back in February, I decided to expand my abilities and I got a friend of mine to teach me how to knit.

I'm still definitely a beginner (I just learned how to purl from this website a few days ago) and so far, I've only made a long yellow scarf and a small Gryffindor scarf for my little cousin. I've just started a blue scarf for myself. I might try a felted bag after I finish the scarf (and matching hat!). I already make bags out of scrap fabric and old t-shirts, so this would be a nice addition.

Unfortunately, I don't have a cute little dog but a few fat, lazy cats who are all ignoring me right now.

Lisa

GlenBoRTR
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Hey Kelly...
We need to hook up Pebbles & howie!! They'd look real cute together....

DotMom61
08-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Welcome newbie knitters! I wish I had more time to peruse your introductions, but errands await! Regardless, you are all welcome here, and we're you're here!!

(Love the puppy pics!! Let's see the fat, lazy cats, too!! :-) )

Ennormir
08-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Hello! My name is Amber, and I've never knitted before in my life. However, the prospect is a ton less frightening after watching all of the videos! Thanks so much!

I'm very crafty and can usually teach myself things, but knitting a block scarf for my sister's b-day within a month is something I don't want to risk mesing up...^_^".

I'm 18 yrs old and I live in FL and I hope to become an expert knitter one day. ;)

Thanks for all the help!!!

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Ya wanna knit! You've come to the right place! Welcome, you'll have fun here! :cheering:

KellyK
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Welcome, Amber! :waving:

Ennormir
08-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks! I can tell this is the place to be if you wanna knit! :heart:

DotMom61
08-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Glad you're here, Amber!!! Welcome!

Joel
08-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Welcome Lisa and Amber... good to have you here.

This place is a wonderful wealth of information... both in terms of videos and lots of experienced knitters to help us newbies out.

LisaD715
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey Lisa!! Hey Amber!! Welcome!! Glad to have you here! Awesome bunch of folks around here! Always ready to help.....

Amber, where in FL?

Glen & KellyK, gonna get those pups hooked up? They are too cute!

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Glen & KellyK, gonna get those pups hooked up? They are too cute!

That was my thought, too! Can't you just see the stars in their eyes? And so fashionably dressed, too. :heart:

ebonypurl
08-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I thought I would finally introduce myself after lurking for quite sometime. I am a newbie knitter too- just started in June. I've been wanting to learn forever but now have some time to devote to it. So far I have made 3 scarves- all either k2p2 or k1p1 ribs. Well, I can't say that I have finished them b/c I have yet to weave in any ends :oops:

Right now I'm actually making something for myself- the chevron scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm finally on a roll after frogging it like 6 times before I learned the stitches. Now I know why they tell beginners to start with thick yarn and large needles- but yet I persist! :XX:

so anyway- it's a pleasure to share with you all. this site is great!!! :thumbsup:

ebonypurl
08-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbie too- just starting teaching myself in June. I've been wanting to learn forever but now I actually have time to commit to learning it. So far I have made 3 scarves- all either k2p2 or k1p1 ribs- well, I can't actually say that I have finished them b/c I have yet to weave in any of the ends :oops:- My husband says he can't wait to wear his- I'm so happy it's actually wearable :cheering:

Right now I am actually making something for myself- the chevron scarf Last Minute Knitted Gifts- using size 5 needles- I had to frog it like 6 times before I got the stitch (now I know why they say beginners should start with thicker yarn and larger needles) but I knit on!!! :XX:

Looking forward to sharing with you all- this site is wonderful :thumbsup:

koolbreeze
08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Welcome ebony!!! come on in and stay awhile!!!! :waving:

Ingrid
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the land of laughs and knitting! :waving:

amy
08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Welcome Ebonypurl! Great name! :heart: your avatar too.

Welcome Amber! Nice Elvish name! (I read your other post)
Love your avatar pic too. For some reason when I look at it I keep thinking you're looking back over your shoulder, but I think it's an illusion!...The incredible, reverible pic! dizzying! But very flattering. ;)

KellyK
08-23-2005, 06:54 PM
WELCOME EBONY! Good for you for being BRAVE so early on in your knitting "career"! :cheering:

DotMom61
08-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Welcome, Ebony!! Got any pics of your scarves to share with us ??? :-D

jodstr2
08-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Right now I am actually making something for myself- the chevron scarf Last Minute Knitted Gifts- using size 5 needles- I had to frog it like 6 times before I got the stitch (now I know why they say beginners should start with thicker yarn and larger needles) but I knit on!!! :XX:

Looking forward to sharing with you all- this site is wonderful :thumbsup:

welcome ebonypurl! :waving: :D

that Last Minute Knitted Gifts chevron scarf is my favorite scarf right now! I'm on my 3rd one. pics of the 1st one in this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30)
the pattern takes a bit of concentration and goes slow in the beginning, but by the time you're halfway through it you will get faster! :D

ekgheiy
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM

Joel
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Welcome Ebonypurl! It's good to have you joining us.

:D

ebonypurl
08-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement!! :D

Jodi- love your scarf!!! I'm using KPPPM too in browns/golds- it looks like a golden rainbow- hopefully I can wear it for the fall.
I like the idea of using sock garden or landscape- maybe for the next one...

No pics yet but maybe after this one, I'll take a pic of my "scarf gallery" :lol:

Vendie
08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi Ebony!!! Welcome to KH! :waving:

mrsbrooks
08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I am back!!!! My name on here was i think tinkercat or tinker....but i am back!! I am doing pretty good pregnant but good lol.I posted on something earlier and i added a picture of what i am working on. It is nice to be back!
:cheering:

Marni
08-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Since I already asked a question, I figure I better do the intro too! Name's Marni. I'm 37. I live in Detroit... yes, people actually live IN Detroit ;) Although I'm so close to the border that on a good day I can hit the next city with a rock. I live in a 1914 house that I've been working on for 15 years now.

Um, I drive the brown truck though I can't seem to get Dale to take it for a spin and give me the day off. My hubby and I have been married for 14 years and we have two 4-legged kids. They are lefty the Lab and Dudley the Bassett Hound. They are really really old though full of love and spurts of spunk.

I love hands on things... knitting, painting, woodworking, drywall, etc and dabble a bit in photography too. The DH and I joined a running club in April, though neither of has ran since High School and DH is doing really really well at it! He plans on doing the Detroit Free Press Marathon this year! I get to play "water support" on my bike for their 20 mile practice runs; it's been good cross-training so I can't complain. Perhaps I'll be better accustomed to running to participate in the race next year. The DH and I are golfing partners and will be heading for Nevada real soon for a 2 week golf/Vegas/site seeing trip. So far my favorite course is Arcadia Bluffs which sits on Lake Michigan; It's absolutely breath taking! I'm thinking the red rock formations will be simply stunning.

...and I aspire to make great things from yarn someday! :thumbsup:

KellyK
08-30-2005, 07:42 AM
:waving: Welcome Marni! I LOVE your froggy! I dont think Ive ever heard ANYONE say they love DRYWALL!! Cant wait to see some of your work! (I meant the knitting...not the drywall....unless you REALLY wanna share! We're pretty supportive of ANYTHING around here! ;) )

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 09:07 AM
:sunny: :waving: Hi. Marni! Welcome!

DotMom61
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Marni, and welcome!

I absolutely *love* your frog, too! You might have just inspired me to change my avatar -- not to *your* frog, of course. Hmm ... I need to look through my photos.

How long have you been knitting, and how did you find us?

Glad to have you aboard!

Knottie
08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi All! I've been reading through the forums for the last few days, and decided it was about time I joined and said hello!

I learned to knit in junior high (am I dating myself if I was inspired by Dr. Who and not Harry Potter?), but I never got past garter stitch scarves although I did knit a few scarves in the round.

I've been crocheting for years, but hadn't knit in about 8 years until I was suddenly possessed in the yarn aisle last week and came home with needles. I just finished my first hat! I did a swatch of ribbing, then I started knitting a hat on regular needles and tried cabling--the videos here are super helpful :thumbsup: Cables are fun! I think I'm addicted!

I want to do a sweater next, I can't resist it. I wish I'd known earlier how much fun knitting was if you could get past garter stitch...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/knottie/

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Knottie, welcome! If you think knitting is fun, you've come to the right place1 :waving:

Marni
08-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes! There are a whole bunch of those frogs on display around where I live and the DH and I did a biking tour of them one day. I snapped several digi photos of them. Although this one is simple compared to some of the more decorative ones, I do like the bright colors. The frogs are quite big too. They are all on platforms and while most are sitting and are chest high others are tower over your head on thier hind legs.

I've been knitting long enough to have a 3 panel 4ply worsted weight cabled afghan nearly completed. Hmm-hmm, yeah, I started it about 13 years ago and I'm almost done! Yes, I'm serious. I forget about it and pull it back out now and again and have to relearn cables all over :) then put it away for a few more years.

But really now... I've started knitting/crocheting again just in the past few months after being inspired by the mother of one of my gf's. She has knit several beautiful scarves and I just had to make at least one for myself. Funny thing was it had been so long since I last shopped yarn, I thought she had sewn or worked in all those little bobbles onto the finished scarf. Wow, was I suprised when I ventured over to Jo-Ann's yarn isles!

So far, since my return to knitting, in this order I've made:

2 knit Boa scarves
1 rather cool knit Boulce & Fun Fur scarf
2 broad, knit double-strand Homespun scarves with 3 big tassels on each end
1 pair of crochet mittens (ribbed)
1 pair of crochet slippers (using my grandmother's pattern - she passed several years ago and I do miss her slippers)
1 pair of crochet WoolEase Thick slippers (modeled after above slippers)
1 pair of knit wool mittens (hopefully they'll keep me warm for winter running)
2 young teen sized knit double-strand Homespun scarves that I will attempt to spice up with Fun Fur after they've all been knit. I have 5 of these scarves to make all together, but have one that's for a nephew and I certainly can't put fun fur on it so I'll to try to come up with something else for his.

Although these are the only things I've made, I've been collecting patterns that I like and hope to make some more interesting items! I just stocked up on Fun Fur which is on sale at Walmart for $3.47... Now what to make?

Sheesh, I'm rambling on again. :oops:

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 10:46 PM
I've been knitting long enough to have a 3 panel 4ply worsted weight cabled afghan nearly completed. Hmm-hmm, yeah, I started it about 13 years ago and I'm almost done!

:roflhard: :roflhard: Love the way you put that!!

charlene
09-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi folks, another forum newbie here. I've just come back to knitting after a 20 year break (pre-teens, I don't think I actually did anything more challenging than a Barbie scarf :D ) and have decided to give it a go again, I sew a lot of clothing for my kids and wanted something a bit more portable, can't really take my machines to the park! First project is going well (thanks to some help on the other forum!) but taking aaaages, I'm really hoping I get faster at this. Or maybe I'll just stick to big needles and chunky yarns from now on ;)

Charlene

Ingrid
09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi Charlene! I believe we've "met", but I'll say Hi here, too! :waving:

KellyK
09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Welcome Charlene!! :waving:

MaryS
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Charlene and Marnie, :waving:

Good to have both of you.

Marnie, I live in Troy but I worked at Children's Hospital in Detroit for nineteen years - very familiar with the trip down I-75 in rush hour! Now I'm working in Troy too (with the price of gas I'm really glad). It's good to have another MI knitter!

Happy Knitting :XX:

Mary

Danielle
09-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone!
My name is Danielle...I am 19 and live in Western North Carolina. I'm a self-taught knitter. I've been knitting for about 8 months now...I started out making scarves, then figured out how to make hats, and now purses...
I am looking forward to making friends on this site!!! :waving:

Ingrid
09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Punch buggy yellow. No punch back!

* I sure hope you're familiar with that, or you'll think I'm crazy. I drive around with two little boys a lot!

Danielle
09-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi Ingrid!
Yes...I am very familiar with that... I hear it several times a day!! :D

rebecca
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
hey :waving: NEW PEOPLE!! Happy to have you and...welcome!!
There are lots of fun & crazy & smart :XX: :XY: :XY: around here.
come on in...have some fun :D

punkhippiemom
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Welcome to everyone!!
Marni, great to hear from you - my Dad used to run the Free Press Marathon, too, back in the day... let us know how the restoration is going -I am also trying to fix up a 1900's house - mine was restored in the 70's and then never changed again :shock: LOL- I could use a few tips!
I'm really hoping I get faster at this. Or maybe I'll just stick to big needles and chunky yarns from now on LOL - If you need some instant gratification, nothing works better than suber-bulky yarn and size 15 needles - takes about ten minutes to make a scarf! :thumbsup: Welcome!
Danielle, I love the bugs - post a pic for me?? Come on, I just knoooow you have some...VW owners are like that ;) my friend in HS had her senior pictures taken with her bug :roflhard:
It's great to see so many people finding this site - I know I'm predjudiced, but it's the best!!

Danielle
09-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Here is a pic of my car... I :heart: it!!

punkhippiemom
09-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Please tell me you named the car Daisy?? :roflhard:

PSTo resize pictures and get my pics smaller, I always open it with MSPaint, click 'Image", click 'stretch/skew', enter 25 in the horizontal stretch box, 25 in the vertical stretch box, then click enter or OK. Shrinks it down to 25% of the original size, which is a good size for the board...

Danielle
09-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Yep, I named my car daisy........I'm such a dork ;)

Thanks for the tip on resizing pics...I edited my post above and made the pic smaller...

ekgheiy
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
hey :waving: NEW PEOPLE!! Happy to have you and...welcome!!
There are lots of fun & crazy & smart :XX: :XY: :XY: around here.
come on in...have some fun :D Y'all gets a great big DITTO on that one!! ;) :waving:

dustinac
09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!

I love Daisy!! LOL always wanted an yellow one with sunflowers :lol:

Ingrid
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
My first car was a 1964 VW. It cost me $100!

KellyK
09-06-2005, 06:14 PM
KEEYUTE car!! Welcome YVW! I kinda want a green one....LIME green! :mrgreen:

Beth
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Amy,
I've given this site to everyone I know who wants to learn to knit..
YOU ARE AWESOME! :cheering: :cheering:
Beth♥

DotMom61
09-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Welcome to all the newbies!! It's always fun to see where new people hail from and how they came to be here. Wish I had time to pop in here more often!!!

I *love* the yellow VW .... I would have to go w/ that pretty green color that they have now. I always wanted one of those when I was in high school ... back in the day. ;-)

Oh, and we called it "Slug Bug" instead of "Punch Buggy." :lol:

knittokeepwarm
09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the wonderful site. I'm an English and trying to convert to Continental so I have both if needed. Thanks for the great videos. I also compliment everyone on the warmth and supportive community they've established. I notice they all have pics of pets, partners, etc. Notice how knitters are so...well.... tight knit? Happy to become a part of it.

And by the way - I have a 1974 Baby Blue Super Beetle. Her name is Towanda.

Ingrid
09-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi and welcome to the party! I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as "an English". I guess that makes me an English, too. ;) :waving:

punkhippiemom
09-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Yayy, another Pennsylvanian! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
(watch out, Illinois, we're catching up with ya!!)
:waving: Hiya!! I want your car!!
Welcome to KH.com...we all like it so much here, that some of us never leave...you know who you are... :thumbsup:

KellyK
09-08-2005, 11:33 PM
I also compliment everyone on the warmth and supportive community they've established. I notice they all have pics of pets, partners, etc. Notice how knitters are so...well.... tight knit? Happy to become a part of it.
Thanks for noticing! I tell ya...knitters are just GOOD PEOPLE! I hope you come to think of this as your E-Home, too! :)

foothills
09-09-2005, 08:11 AM
WELCOMING ALL NEWBIES TO THIS SITE :cheering: It is a GREAT site and needs lots of advertisement because I just "happened" to come across it last January and it has been a blessing :thumbsup: My knitting anniversary (1 year) is mid-November and without this site, I would have probably given up a long time ago ;)

Danielle, I saw that you were from the mountains of NC...I'm in the foothills of NC... :heart: your VW!

Joyce

DotMom61
09-09-2005, 09:16 AM
And by the way - I have a 1974 Baby Blue Super Beetle. Her name is Towanda.

:roflhard: I love this!! My husband used to name all of his cars, too. Somehow he grew out of that, but I always loved it!

Welcome!!!

LisaD715
09-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Wasn't Towanda the name Kathy Bates character shouted in Fried Green Tomatoes, when she smashes the car?!?!?!? Love that movie, have not seen it in years....

mintdee
09-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Here is my little hello. I am new around these parts. Just started knitting yesterday, but I have been crocheting for about 10 years. I like the look of knitted things so much better so I thought that I would try it. I have my husband and 5 kids (yea, I'm Catholic :blush: ) to keep me busy so I don't get to much free time, but I sure try! :) Anyway I look forward to meeting all of you!
Sandra

Ingrid
09-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Welcome Sandra! With five kids, you'll have lots of knitting to do! :waving:

punkhippiemom
09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Sandra! :waving: Which cornfields are you lost in, maybe I can give you directions out to the nearest LYS?? :roflhard:

KellyK
09-11-2005, 12:47 PM
WELCOME SANDRA! :waving:

mintdee
09-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Hehe that would be the Nebraska Cornfields :D They are everywhere I tell ya! :oo:
( I LOVE the emoticons on this site)

Thanks for the great welcome :)

margie
09-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Hello Everyone-

I'm sitting at home with a cold today- husband and kids are out, giving me some "peace and quiet", and I'm taking my time browsing the forum- suddenly realized I've been posting here and there, but never posted here to properly introduce myself! How rude!! :oops:

Anyways, my name is Margie- I've been knitting for about 3 months- I had learned once before just how to do garter stitch, but left it at that. Now, I've definitely been "bitten" by the knitting bug, and I can't stop........I did a few scarves, a hat, a teddy bear sweater, 2 felted bags, and now I am working on my 1st sweater. The front and back are done, and I'm halfway through my 1st sleeve. It's going more slowly than I would like it to!

I'm a stay-at-home mom who babysits three one year olds. My 2 boys are 6 and 8. I love this site- couldn't imagine knitting without it! I've asked a million (ok, maybe not quite that many) questions, and am amazed at the quick answers I always get. There are some super-talented people here- I hope to be able to knit half as good someday. I'm working on it!!

So, there I am in a nutshell. Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement. You're a great group!

KellyK
09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
It's great to finally get to know you a bit, Margie!

jodstr2
09-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Here is a pic of my car... I :heart: it!!

I have the perfect wheels in mind for you!
link here (http://www.aiwana.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TVA&Product_Code=daisywheel&Category_Code=wheels)

the Mille Miglia Daisy:

jodstr2
09-11-2005, 02:58 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

welcome all newbies! you will love it here! everyone is friendly, helpful, and funny :D! this site is sure to put smiles on your faces. :D

happy knitting!!!

:XX: :XX: :XX:

Danielle
09-11-2005, 06:17 PM
The daisy wheels are too cute!! There is a green bug in town with the same wheels!!!

Hi to all the new members! :waving:

punkhippiemom
09-11-2005, 06:18 PM
So, there I am in a nutshell.
You had me :rofl: at that one... every time someone says that, all I can see is Mike Myers (I think it was in Austin Powers :?? ) rolling around on the floor, saying "No, this is me in a nutshell . . . 'HELP! HELP! I'm in a nutshell!'" :roflhard: :roflhard:
OK, I'm over it now...
Welcome! :waving: Glad to have you here!!