PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

queenmum
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi!
I am what you'd probably call an advanced beginner knitter and found this site while searching for some help (which I found via one of the wonderful videos!) Right now I am trying to find out what a "ddec" is and how to do it. I think it means "double decrease" but I couldn't find it in the glossary of terms. Can someone help me??!!

Queenmum

susanw80
07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Hello, and thanks for this opportunity to ask knitters a question. I am knitting socks with Wick, and the should-be-stripes are actually some stripes and some pools of color. Is this just what happenens sometimes? I am not thinking this looks very pretty. Any advice?

mrducky
07-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Hello, I've been knitting for almost a year and just discovered this site. I started with a scarf, then a hat, then some mittens and more hats. I took on a four month baby blanket project which I just recently finished. Now I'm starting a knitted shawl (really a ruana, but I never heard of a ruana until seeing this pattern) and also a crocheted afghan.

I learned everything from books, with some help in yarn selection from the local yarn shop.

Thanks for the site. I'm sure I'll be searching for advice here.

Shandeh
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
....how can I loosen up on my very tight knitting? I am having a dickens of a time doing k3togs, because my stitches are so tight I can't get the needle in. Conversely, is there another double decrease that slants right?
I used to be a tight knitter also. I have forced myself to loosen my grip on the needles, and now my knitting tension is much easier to work with. I was having lots of pain from knitting so tight, so it was absolutely necessary.

So, my advice is just to loosen your grip on the needles, and let the yarn flow. :wink:

As for the way decreases and increases slant, you can see the different ways they work by looking at Amy's easy pictorial guides here:
Decreases - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases
Increases - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

Have fun! :)

what type and size do u suggest i get for a beginner?
I would recommend size 8, 9 or 10 needles, using worsted weight wool or acrylic yarn. That yarn is easiest for beginners to work with. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Right now I am trying to find out what a "ddec" is and how to do it. I think it means "double decrease" but I couldn't find it in the glossary of terms. Can someone help me??!! Queenmum
Hi Queenmum. To do a double decrease, you just decrease 2 stitches at the same time. For example, you could knit 3 together, or purl 3 together. I'm surprised, though, that the pattern doesn't specify what kind of decrease to do.

But, before you do that, you might want to check with the person or company that designed that pattern. They should be able to tell you exactly what they mean by "ddec".

Good luck! Crossed Fingers

Hello, and thanks for this opportunity to ask knitters a question. I am knitting socks with Wick, and the should-be-stripes are actually some stripes and some pools of color. Is this just what happenens sometimes? I am not thinking this looks very pretty. Any advice?
Hi Susan. Sometimes self-striping yarns or variegated yarns will make pools of color. The only advice I can give is to use a different yarn if you don't like the way your yarn is turning out.

LBECK
07-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I fit into the category of a "young knitter", at age 19. I couldn't tell you how old I was when I learned to knit, but it was young. My grandma taught me when I would spend days at her house back in pretty early childhood. I knit the odd scarf over the years, but nothing fancy. I picked up the needles again last year, before winter, prompted by my desire to knit myself a Ravenclaw scarf (I'm a big Harry Potter fan).

I love to hear of young knitters like yourself. I wish I had learned at an earlier age. I also, wish that my daughter who is your age would have an interest, but no luck yet. You will find many Harry Potter fans on this site. Me included. I can't wait until Nov.21, 2008 when the newest movie will be released.

Spinderella
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi - I found your site thru a google search on knitting ideas and help! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning from the "experts".:knitting:

sanders48
07-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh my - - These chats are almost as frustrating to me as this sock! I haven't done this before...mainly because it's too confusing, (even though I consider myself computer literate), I'll have to get my daughter to help.

Anyway, if in fact I am introducing myself, I should do that eyh? My name is Sharon and as I said in my profile, (that I'm sure you can find, but I won't be able to), I consider myself a, (beginning) intermediate knitter. I am trying to challenge myself with my knitting, and find this site an ENORMOUS help! I love the videos!

So now...off to find the help I'm looking for! I look forward to meeting everyone - - as soon as I figure this "chatting" out :muah:

felicia1030
07-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Hello everyone this site is wonderful. I am renewing my passion for knitting and will embark on my first big project in less than a week.

Wish me luck.

Meemers
07-28-2008, 12:48 AM
HI Everyone,

This looks like a great site. I am brand new as of 5 mintes ago. I've read thorug a few of your post - very fun.:knitting:

I am looking for a knitted granny square pattern. I found a great pic of an afghan with knitted squares and sockyarn, and loved it! I saved the pic and now can't remember where it was originally at on the web.

Thanks for reading!:happydance:

yukonellie
07-28-2008, 03:02 AM
New member in Yukon Territory, Canada. I am an avid knitter, crocheter always looking for unique designs and yarns. Most pieces are done as gifts or custom projects; very often pieces for me are "will this work" experiments.

yukonellie
07-28-2008, 03:10 AM
To resize an existing garment (shoulders too wide) can a double row of sewing machine stitching be used to anchor the knit fabric so the excess can be cut off and the sleeves reset? :help: Also, set-in sleeves bunch at underarm and twist outward so the seams lie on top of the wrist at ribbing - - why and can this be fixed? :?? (An Aran seater I designed for a friend that took four months to complete has some major issues!!)Crossed Fingers

badgergirl
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi fellow knitters. I have a general question regarding a pattern I had many years ago (approximately the late 60's or 70's). It was for a slipper pattern--we called it cuddle mocks (not sure of spelling). It was a very simple pattern for slippers. The pattern was the same for babies or adults; it just depended on the size of the needle.

Does anyone know where I could locate this pattern?

I am just reintroducing myself to knitting and loving it more than ever. This site with the videos has helped me tremendously. Looking forward to getting acquainted with other knitters.

Thanks for this site.:knitting:

laneypooh58
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Hello, I have been knitting for a few years, mostly scarfs and just recently a baby blanket. I would like to advance and try other projects..very relaxing for me..:) I have a project on a scarf where I need to divide after the 45 row to allow for a slit to pass the other end of the scarf threw. I don't understand the divide..! There are 30 co sts and I have to divide rib sts after 15. How is that done?

TY Laney

cathyz
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I have just started knitting and I am trying to make a sweater for one of my Grandaughters. I'm on the back and its now time to shape the armhole. The pattern says " At beg row, bind off 1 sts twice, then 1 st 10 times. I'm not sure exactly what that means? I know what bind off means just not sure where or how many times to do it. Any ideas?

Cathyz

Ingrid
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I have just started knitting and I am trying to make a sweater for one of my Grandaughters. I'm on the back and its now time to shape the armhole. The pattern says " At beg row, bind off 1 sts twice, then 1 st 10 times. I'm not sure exactly what that means? I know what bind off means just not sure where or how many times to do it. Any ideas?

Cathyz

Welcome--for future reference, asking in the How To section will get fast results since more people see it.

You're shaping the armholes by binding off at the beginning of the rows. For your size, it looks like you just bind off one stitch at the beginning of every row 12 times--6 bind offs at each edge when you're done. The reason it says 1 sts twice is probably because other sizes have more stitches for that section.

Ingrid
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Hello, I have been knitting for a few years, mostly scarfs and just recently a baby blanket. I would like to advance and try other projects..very relaxing for me..:) I have a project on a scarf where I need to divide after the 45 row to allow for a slit to pass the other end of the scarf threw. I don't understand the divide..! There are 30 co sts and I have to divide rib sts after 15. How is that done?

TY Laney

You work the first 15 with your strand of yarn that you've been using, then use a different strand for the other 15. Keep working each side of the slit with it's own yarn, then when the time comes, you work all the way across with one yarn to rejoin the sides.

MBerg65
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I am a new knitter and am ready to delve into some places I have never been. I really want to try socks and sweaters but am intimidated by the patterns. I hope I can get the help I need from all the friendly posts I have seen.
Monique

whoknewknitter
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Hello,
I am happy to be here and I hope to make my mom proud as she was an accomplished knitter....I have done some knitting years back but I have recently been re-introduced....and on circular needles at that!:happydance: I look forward to advice from all...
Holly

Patrick
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I've been crocheting since my grandmother taught me over 40 years ago but I'm new to knitting - and loving it. I want to thank you for the great videos. I've tried to learn knitting a couple of times before but gave up in frustration. Your videos on the Continental style instantaneously made perfect sense to me and I was knitting in no time. I recommend Continental - and your videos - to anyone coming from a crochet background.

Thanks,
Pat

Ingrid
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Welcome everyone!!!

Shandeh
07-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Welcome everyone! :waving:
I am looking for a knitted granny square pattern. I found a great pic of an afghan with knitted squares and sockyarn, and loved it! I saved the pic and now can't remember where it was originally at on the web.
Hi Meemers! :)
If you post this question in the "Pattern Central" section of our forum, you might get some answers!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
To resize an existing garment (shoulders too wide) can a double row of sewing machine stitching be used to anchor the knit fabric so the excess can be cut off and the sleeves reset? :help: Also, set-in sleeves bunch at underarm and twist outward so the seams lie on top of the wrist at ribbing - - why and can this be fixed? :?? (An Aran seater I designed for a friend that took four months to complete has some major issues!!)Crossed Fingers
Hi yokonellie!
If you post this question in the "How To" section, you'll probably get lots of help.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Hi fellow knitters. I have a general question regarding a pattern I had many years ago (approximately the late 60's or 70's). It was for a slipper pattern--we called it cuddle mocks (not sure of spelling). It was a very simple pattern for slippers. The pattern was the same for babies or adults; it just depended on the size of the needle.
Hi badgergirl! Put your question in the "Pattern Central" area for help on that pattern. :thumbsup:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
I really want to try socks and sweaters but am intimidated by the patterns. I hope I can get the help I need from all the friendly posts I have seen.
One of the best online guides for socks was written by one of our own forum members. Check out Silver's Sock Tutorial:
Socks with Double Pointed Needles (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)
Socks with Circular Needles (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm)
Socks with Magic Loop Method (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm)

As for sweaters, just choose a simple pattern and go for it! After you get started, just come here to the forum and post any questions you have in the "How To" section.

klatimer50
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm excited to be a new member!! Can anyone answer question....I'm working on a new sweater pattern and have a line that says....P5;*sl next 2 stitches onto holder and leave at back of work, K1, then K2 from holder - Cr3 made; P5; rep from * across. What does Cr3 mean? Thanks!!

klatimer50
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=klatimer50;1136099]I'm excited to be a new member!! Can anyone answer question....I'm working on a new sweater pattern and have a line that says....P5;*sl next 2 stitches onto holder and leave at back of work, K1, then K2 from holder - Cr3 made; P5; rep from * across. What does Cr3 mean? Thank You!!!

labeelady
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
What you are doing is making a right-twist cable using 3 stitches.
Cr3 stands for "Cable right with next 3 stitches".

djessiea
08-01-2008, 01:39 AM
:muah: So please be patient with me as I try learning how to use this Forum. I looked on the site last night and saw that somebody wanted "the Snowman" childrens sweater pattern. It is by Sirdar for their "Country Style" DK and "Snowflake" DK. it is publication # 4133
It is a blue pullover with a snowman in white "Snowflake". The snowman has a hat on, an orange "Carrot" nose and black "coal" eyes. If this is no longer being published by Sirdar, please contact me (djessiea@yahoo.com and I could xerox it and send it to you (I don't have a scanner.) Hope this helps! (I was trying to do those emotion pictures of a smile, haven't yet figured out how to do it!
LOL djessie
Don't want to do copyright infringement...More info. On the back side it says "The Snowman by Raynond Briggs Copyright Snowman Enterprises Limited 1999. It was printed in Great Britain.

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi djessiea, Welcome to the forum. :)

It is against copyright laws to copy knitting patterns, so we cannot offer to do that here in the forum.

It would be best for the member to contact Sirdar for this pattern.

cyori
08-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Hello, I'm Chris and I'm a beginning knitter. I look forward to blogging with you all : )

Dianapastina
08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I love to knit and love all the old patterns... I knit mostly children's sweaters but I am now going to start some projects for myself.
Thank you Julia for your help in finding the Princess Caroline Sweater pattern. I hope we can get it.
:cheering:

Dianapastina
08-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks, I probably will need help down the line. Do you do Entrelac Knitting?

AnNiEtOuChInGhEaRtS
08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
i appreciate what you are doing here.
thank you. 8)

dazed1
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi--My name is Chris and I am the mother of 3 boys ages 20, 17, 10. I've been knitting for 3yrs and crochetting all my life. This is a great site for me because I don't know anyone else who knits. I always have questions and nowhere to go for help so I am really excited to be here.

Question #1--I love to make hats for my nieces but it always seems like the ribbing on my hats are always too loose or too long. Any helpful hints for making the ribbing smaller and tighter around the face?????

Daylilydayzed
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi ! I am a self taught kniter who stopped knitting when I had to go to work after we bought our house. Now I am semi retired and recently took up knitting again. The last two items I have knitted were baby blankets for two different people in two weather forums I belong to.The pattern stitch I used was the feather and fan stitch for the body of the blanket and seed stitch borders. The yarn I used was Bernat's Softee Baby Bunny prints.
I found this forum when a gardenewb Knitting forum poster reccommended this site in a post to someone else.

theblackhen
08-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Jade,
You'll really enjoy knitting even if you don't do it all the time. Without being too know-it-all, I would recommend buying the best supplies you can afford and trying different things even if you're not sure you'll like them (ie, wood vs. nickel needles). It can be really trying to learn something new if you have to fight with your tools (you know, like using dull sissors). Also buy a couple good general instruction books with good pictures and be really patient about frogging (ripping out) and redoing things--it's just part of knitting. You'll be designing in no time! Have fun!

theblackhen
08-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I just wanted to introduce myself here. I finally joined (it's difficult for me to grasp that people might want to hear what I think) though I've been coming to this site for two or more years and has been an incredible help to me. I learned to knit when I was young but didn't have a teacher so I quit. Two different times I tried again in my twenties but when I got stuck the teachers we stuck too. (I guess everyone can't teach.) By the time I was thirty I wanted to knit for my son (boys don't wear cross-stitch), so I bought some books, went to a good yarn shop for suggestions, and got started. My favorite book was a kids knitting book because it really taught me how to "see" the stitches. Now I make basic sweaters and mostly socks, and most of the socks are for soldiers with Socks for Soldiers, a Yahoo group. I wish I had more time to knit but right now I home school and take care of my husband who is retired from the sheriff's dept because of a brain anuerysm. So if you feel inclined to contact me about either of these things, aside from knitting, I'm available. Glad to be here!

Dianapastina
08-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Do you have a row counter? Thats how I count my rows. With GS, Garter Stitch it is easier because every nubby you see is two rows unless you are knitting in the round. Hope I helped
Dianapastina

Dianapastina
08-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Thank you so much for this site. It is great.
I am trying to learn crocheting entrelac. Well, thats another difficult thing for me. I am still trying to figure out Entrelac knitting.....
Love the site and all the help.
Thanks
diana

Dianapastina
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
How can I get rid of Casting On under my name. I did not think I picked that .....

kellybigeyes
08-02-2008, 10:14 PM
The words under your name have to do with how many posts you have made. I don't think you can take it off. It just changes at different times, when you reach a certain amount of posts.

Prue
08-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi every one,

I just joined this great forum and am hoping to learn heaps to further my knitting fum. I have knitted most of my life but do not consider myself in any way all that great at it, adequate is a better word. I mostly knit dolls clothes for dolls which I then donate to children at Ronald McDonald house and I also knit for my new grand daughter. Even though I have always knitted in the past few years I never put my knitting down, some might call it a hobby others an obsession depending on their perspective!

cheers

Prue

Dianapastina
08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks Kelly.
I will try to join your page tomorrow. I think I need to register?
Dianapastina

sgtpam
08-02-2008, 11:23 PM
The words under your name have to do with how many posts you have made. I don't think you can take it off. It just changes at different times, when you reach a certain amount of posts.
What's the , "M" Dishcloth" in your sig block that you have OTN?

kellybigeyes
08-03-2008, 11:05 AM
What's the , "M" Dishcloth" in your sig block that you have OTN?

I am making a dishcloth for a friend that has the letter "M" on it, for her last name.

Terpsichorean
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey, y'all!

Newbie here. Well...new to the board, but certainly not to knitting. I taught myself to knit when I was 13 or so, tried to learn how to purl and promptly gave up because it was so frustrating. I picked it up a few months later and have been going pretty strong ever since. I'm an intermediate knitter, I guess (even though I still haven't mastered how to pick up stitches). I do theatre at my school, and all my knitting projects have earned me the title of "the perfect grandma". :P I'm looking forward to searching around this place a bit more. A forum for knitters sounds really fun!

Kate

shoshana
08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I think I can figure out a knitting pattern more easily than I can figure out how to post an introduction on this site.http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/shoshanaanne/family/032106_AlywBubbe.jpg
I've put the link to my photo in the insert spot but it doesn't seem to be working like other sites.
Oh well. I'm 64 and have been knitting since high school. I had to give it up for a while when my cartilage wore out in my thumb joints but there's an operation where the surgeon takes a tendon from your arm and replace the cartilage in your thumbs with that. I was overjoyed because I thought my knitting days were over. I love to use interesting textures and patterns in scarves, which are my great love.

pinkerbell
08-03-2008, 03:03 PM
:muah: Hello everyone. I am not only new to this forum, but also new to forums in general. This is the first forum I have joined. I am also new to knitting. I just finished my first (successful) project - a cardigan sweater, which turned out ok except my seams don't look as good as I would've liked and, my 3 needle bind-off was done on the wrong side. So, here I am, looking to perfect my technique & to learn new techniques.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you!

Shandeh
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

Question #1--I love to make hats for my nieces but it always seems like the ribbing on my hats are always too loose or too long. Any helpful hints for making the ribbing smaller and tighter around the face?????
I would try using smaller needles for that section.
How can I get rid of Casting On under my name. I did not think I picked that .....
The titles under our user names are forum-generated, and change according to how many posts you make in the forum. They are all sock-knitting terms.

MrKnitter
08-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Hello, Im Dan. I did a little Knitting yesterday for a square that will make a blanket of squares knitted by various people.

I am going to knit my own square. But well, I cant knit. Well I can a little, I just cant start. Any tips?

NoraCVT
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi, there!

My name is Nora and I am a very beginning beginner knitter - I just took an Intro to knitting class yesterday! So far I can cast on and knit stitch and that's it! My first FO is a 4x6ish piece that I lovingly call a "thing". It is ugly but it is mine. I think it might actually be a coaster.........

At any rate, I am looking forward to knitting and am already in love with KH - thank goodness for those videos!

Take care.

donnamarie
08-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Hello!
I am a new member. I am not new at knitting but have never really made anything other than scarves. I still want to make them but would like something other than the knit stitch. I will be checking out patterns on this site...First question...what does "a multiple of 11" mean-or a "multiple of 2"? One pattern on this site has 110 stitches but says it has a multiple of 11. That is new to me....I love the videos!!!! THANKS
Donna

cpeil
08-04-2008, 11:31 PM
i just wanted to say hi!

i LOVE knitting. but often have many questions...

so i may need help from all of you "very experienced knitters"

well this is an AMAZING website!

I am very glad i found a website like this...

thanks again.

bye

-carly-:grphug:

smellystuff
08-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Thought I would join up on this forum, as we dont have a local knitting club where I live, so you guys will have to be my online one!

I have been knitting for about 2 months and I really enjoy it!

It is addictive after all!

looeez
08-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Amy, glad I found you all. Knitting away in sunny, er rainy, er muggy, Naples, FL. If one isn't doing baby blankets or garments here, some have a hard time wrapping their brains around scarves, socks, hats and other fun things in the south. Nevertheless, it gets plenty cool (and even freezing) in the deep winter months and we DO WEAR SOCKS darn it! I'm just try for tropical and funky colors and textures in everything.

I will need you all for my ongoing sock struggles! Love them but they aren't loving me so much right now and I have too much yarn for them that I bought at a yarn sale staring me in the face. If anyone has any idea of how I can get rid of this stuff - it is like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors growling at me. I'm thinking I better give the sock effort a rest (I have 3 socks finished from different pairs and I'm not really satisfied with any of them...so no finished PAIR). My better judgement is telling me to shelve the issue until greater clarity is granted.

Thanks for letting me vent/rant . I think I need a trip to the yarn store!

loo

wovendreams
08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello Everyone!

Im not sure im new at knitting , ive been knitting since i was 13 and im still going now that im almost 20.

But there are some questions i would love answered and i plan on asking them asap!

I hope to find alot of help off the site, and so far it seems it will suit me just fine! ^_^ knitting and crotcheting is my favorite pass time. . .

:)

M@rie :knitting:

Patty
08-05-2008, 02:51 PM
My name is Patty and I am new to this. I have been knitting about 3 years and I really love. I am still having trouble reading some instructions. :whoosh: That seems to be my biggest problem. Hope to learn lots of new things here.:cheering:

Arielluria
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Welcome! You found the RIGHT place to get your questions answered! Without KH I know I would not have advanced as fast as I have!
:waving:

need2nit
08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi All!
I'm new to this website and somewhat new to knitting. I took knitting in 6th grade because we had to and never went back to it. In a moment of sheer insanity I found a free pattern for a sweater and started it. I've got the back, two front panels and one sleeve done. I'm in trouble with the second sleeve, but will post that problem elsewhere. I'm so glad I'm back to knitting even if I don't have a clue what I'm doing. It's such fun. I'm hoping to teach my daughter too. Thanks for inviting me in.
need2nit

Rocheal
08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi mamas! I think this is where I am supposed to introduce myself! I got this link from MandyWelch and I am SO looking forward to learning how to knit! My son is in cloth diapers, so maybe I will be able to eventually make wool covers for him!! :) Anyhow-- this webpage is awesome, I can't wait to look around.

looeez
08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
this is a test, sorry for the inconvenience

Shandeh
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I am going to knit my own square. But well, I cant knit. Well I can a little, I just cant start. Any tips?
Go to the top of this webpage, and click "View Videos". You'll learn everything you need to know to start knitting by watching Amy's wonderful videos!

Good luck!
My first FO is a 4x6ish piece that I lovingly call a "thing". It is ugly but it is mine. I think it might actually be a coaster........
Congratulations on making your coaster! :cheering:
First question...what does "a multiple of 11" mean-or a "multiple of 2"? One pattern on this site has 110 stitches but says it has a multiple of 11.
When a pattern says to cast on a multiple of a number, you just multiply the number as many times as you want to get the knitted item as wide as you want.

Since the pattern you're making says to cast on 110 stitches, that IS a multiple of 11. (11 x 10 = 110)

If you cast on a multiple of 2, you would cast on 2, or 4, or 6, or 8, or 10.....

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I will need you all for my ongoing sock struggles! Love them but they aren't loving me so much right now and I have too much yarn for them that I bought at a yarn sale staring me in the face.
You might like Silver's Sock Tutorial, which walks you through each step in the process of making socks.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

jmarques
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
hi i am new to this site and i just got a pattern for socks made be knitting with 3 needles can some one please give me some advice:muah:

Lilas
08-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Hello from Gatineau, Québec, Canada. My name is Lilas (named after the lilac flower) and i joined a few days ago for a KAL (the phileme scarf one). Im pleased to join all of you and hope you'll find my enlgish ok (cause my first language is french)*.

I started crochet a few years ago (4), and last year decided to start with needle, hope i can get some good advice with all of you and have a little more speed at the end of the year. Nice to meet you all! and :woot:

Knittingly yours :knitting:

Lilas

LBECK
08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Welcome all newcomers. This is a wonderful site with lots of advise everywhere you look.

valentina
08-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Hi, I am new here.
I like to knit, especially for children and babies.

My english is not so good. Sorry for any mistakes.

Shandeh
08-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Hello, new KHers! :muah:

hi i am new to this site and i just got a pattern for socks made be knitting with 3 needles can some one please give me some advice:muah:
Silver's Sock Tutorial will help!
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
Good luck with your socks! :thumbsup:
Hello from Gatineau, Québec, Canada. Im pleased to join all of you and hope you'll find my enlgish ok (cause my first language is french)*.
I wish I could speak French well! I tried in high school, and learned a few phrases when a group of us went to Canada. But, I would be in BIG trouble if I tried to communicate on my own. I don't understand what is being said back to me! :teehee:

My english are not so good. Sorry for any mistakes.
Welcome! :hug:

valentina
08-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Welcome! :hug:

Thanks you so much! :hug:

rosy56
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Hello all forum members,
I am Rosy, italian lady, that like to knit and crochet :)
Very good website here, congratulations
Sorry for my english mistake

valentina
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Welcome, Rosy!

melissalinn
08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
melissalinn joined on 8/12/08. i am a brand new knitter and having a great time. thanks so much for this site. my instructer told my class and I about this site.

dustinac
08-13-2008, 09:37 AM
:happydance: Welcome everyone to KH!! :hug:

susanJane
08-13-2008, 09:37 AM
I am going to be a first time grandmother with a granddaughter due November 1 and twins due March 3. It is high time I learned to knit and make some baby shawls for these precious children.

I have already enjoyed the definitions page, especially the videos, and anxiously anticipate all the help this site will give me.

SusanJane

kellybigeyes
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Welcome Everyone!!:muah:

Carolyn252
08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Great site. I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of questions. Am knitting my first project. A bunny rabbit doll for the little grandkids. Your videos are amazing. Not only taught me technique; gave me confidence to carry on; am determined now to finish this bunny.

NYC468
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree - this site is amazing. I've used many of the videos so many times!! They are a huge help. I've been knitting for a couple years now and absolutely loving it. Each time I try a new type of project it's so exciting! First I thought I'd never know how to read patters, then I thought I never would be able to make fitted project... but I keep doing the things I thought I wouldn't be able to do! It's so fun.

LBECK
08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Welcome everyone.

erista
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Everyone!
This is absolutely a great knitting site! I started to teach myself knitting last fall and this was the first site that I went to for help. It has been a lifesaver! I've learned all the basics and more here-keep up the great work!:muah:

Shandeh
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Hello all forum members,
I am Rosy, italian lady, that like to knit and crochet :)
Sorry for my english mistake
Welcome! :)

my instructer told my class and I about this site.
Neat! :thumbsup:

lovinhookinknittin
08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi, I just started learning how to knit on 07/26/08. My friend has been teaching me to crochet since June. My first love is cross stitching so I do know how to count which I hope helps me when I am knitting. I already completed my first granny square afghan which is going to my friend. This Sat I will be learning how to knit a hat.

SunshineGurrrl
08-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi I'm Libby!! I am so new to knitting a barely know a thing about it but this site has been soo helpful! I just finished a scarf for my boyfriend which came out pretty good for a first time effort and i'm moving up to a baby blanket for a friend who is expecting in feb.
(http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafheart.htm) anyone have a blanket tips that might help me? I'm a little nervous about this one

kellybigeyes
08-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi I'm Libby!! I am so new to knitting a barely know a thing about it but this site has been soo helpful! I just finished a scarf for my boyfriend which came out pretty good for a first time effort and i'm moving up to a baby blanket for a friend who is expecting in feb.
(http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafheart.htm) anyone have a blanket tips that might help me? I'm a little nervous about this one

Hi SunshineGurrrl... Welcome to the site!! You will love it! I saw that you were fixing to begin knitting the heart blanket. I just wanted to let you know that there is a problem with that pattern. It has been discussed on the forum before. Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1120382&postcount=4) is a link to the page that you should look at. I hope this helps!!

SunshineGurrrl
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi SunshineGurrrl... Welcome to the site!! You will love it! I saw that you were fixing to begin knitting the heart blanket. I just wanted to let you know that there is a problem with that pattern. It has been discussed on the forum before. Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1120382&postcount=4) is a link to the page that you should look at. I hope this helps!!

thanks Kelly! i thought something was a little off, I just started the blanket today so i didn't miss those rows yet

TangledYarn
08-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Hello, I'm new here. I'm Mollie, a SAHM to 6 awesome kids; 3 boys & 3 girls! I am *finally* learning how to knit, and am quite proud to be teaching myself, mostly a BIG THANK YOU for the wonderful videos available here! It's hard to follow pictures in a book sometimes.

kfaye
08-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Hello, I'm Kinlin. I just joined the forum. Thank you for such an awesome site. My aunt got me started with knitting a few months ago and with the help of this site I've been able to teach myself so much more. I love it!!! The videos are so helpful. I agree that looking at pictures is difficult sometimes. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

bebhin
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
This is awsom! I've been using on-line videos to figure things out. But it doesn't really explain how to really read things. I'm hoping to get some help and it seems like everyone here is fairly nice.

sweetpea
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
At last, a place to find answers to some of my knitting questions and problems.

I have exhasted my mum's and MIL's store of knowledge.

Shandeh
08-14-2008, 09:20 PM
anyone have a blanket tips that might help me? I'm a little nervous about this one
Just take your time, be patient with yourself, and ENJOY your knitting. That makes any project more fun. :wink:
I've been using on-line videos to figure things out. But it doesn't really explain how to really read things.
Are you referring to reading knitting patterns? It can definitely be confusing sometimes. That's why it's best to start with simple patterns, and then try the more complicated ones. You might enjoy making dishcloths to learn more stitches. The projects are small, and quickly completed, and you learn something new with each design. Good luck!

Yarnfan
08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Hello,
I love to knit because of the texture, colour and even the smell of the yarn. I touch it, caress it and bless it while I knit.
Knitting is therapeutic to me although it also has the benefit of becoming a beautiful garment.
I often knit comfort shawls and give them to loved ones.
I once knit with our local KID MOHAIR here in South Africa and what a pleasing experience it was. Our winters are relatively warm here in the southern hemisphere and therefore natural fibres like cashmere are almost non-existing. I dreamed of knitting with pure cashmere and was privileged to receive 2 skeins of 100% pure cashmere from Scotland from relatives who visited there recently. What a joy! They also brought me some beautiful 100% pure bamboo yarn and I'm busy knitting a comfort shawl pattern from Lion Brand (and I'm using bamboo needles)! :knitting: It allows the body to breathe...and suits our hot weather much better. We have long summers and short mild winters!
I am a happy home maker with a kind husband and two sons who are adults now.
I am thrilled to be part of this forum.
Thank you for being so generous with knitting advice and support!

Nannijo
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I hope I'm in the right place to introduce myself. This site looks great and I'm looking forward to meeting new (to me) knitters. I have many projects either started or ready to start, so I'm looking for one more pattern! :) I am looking for a child's knitted cardigan sweater with a horse motif. Years ago I saw them in a craft catalog with usually a horse on the back. It's refreshing to read that I'm not the only knitter who has had to 'tink' or 'frog'.:knitting:

Shandeh
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

free2xplore
08-15-2008, 11:21 PM
This is the first time I've tried a chat room - I've done a lot of craft projects - love to crochet and embroidery. I had taught myself at 15 to knit, but never got really comfortable with it until just lately.
I'm enjoying more and more items in knit that I used to do only in crochet.
:yay:

dikkie_moi
08-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm Yanti, newbie here. Live in Holland but soon will move to Dubai.
I'm glad joint this forum. For the firts time I learned knit from Knitting Help.....it was difficult but later I addicted:knitting: . Thanks a lot for your video instruction. :muah: ...really help for me.

Yanti

Suona
08-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm new here, obviously. :wink:

I'm 23, female and I live in Finland, Northern Europe. I'm studying to become someday a social worker. I'm sharing my flat with my cat. Single. Knit/yarn-a-holic. Wiccan.

I've been knitting for about 10 years now. I'm drooling over all those beautiful yarns. ^^ I prefer to use wooden needles because of my nickel allergy. That's one nasty thing. :/

Well well, what else should I tell about me.. Just ask me if you wanna know something. :waving:

scout
08-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks, how do i ask a question? i can not figure out the website, or registering. I have a user name and password, but i can't figure out where i'm suppose to ask a question. I'm not good with computers, i see where everyone asks questions and gets responses, i would like to do that also.
Please help.

sgtpam
08-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks, how do i ask a question? i can not figure out the website, or registering. I have a user name and password, but i can't figure out where i'm suppose to ask a question. I'm not good with computers, i see where everyone asks questions and gets responses, i would like to do that also.
Please help.
Hi, Scout....welcome! this is also the first place I "joined" and acually posted on. My advice is to keep it simple at first...don't worry about adding pictures and stuff. Just go to the main forum, then got to "How to Questions" (I think it's the 2d one) then, "push" the button that says "New Thread". Type in the subject of your question...like "need help with ____" then type your question in the next "block". when you're done, there's another button below the block you're typing in that says Submit New Thread...that should get you posted. Good Luck..........and i'll keep an eye out to see that you made it in ok! I'm only a novice knitter myself, but, you'll find a lot of help on this site...I know I have!

m60ladysmith
08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
This is the first time I have attempted to get in a chat or forum or anything like this. I just started to knit and have really enjoyed it.
I need help with a pattern I have just started but do not know if this is the place to ask the question. Since I clicked on the Introductory button.

HELP!

sgtpam
08-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I see I'm not the only one up late tonight...I just posted an answer to that same question for Scout...must have been typing at the same time you were! Hope my answer helps. I'm new at this forum stuff, too!

tamee
08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
hi everyone....im self teaching . im very new at this.(like infant stage) im using continential left hand...but...with every stitch i try the yarm makes a gap between the needles. i know there a simple solution to this. help? oh i have tried long tail stich and the really simple thumb cast on so far.

Notus
08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
hihi

I'm reaaaaally new to knitting and after being inspired and advised to come here from another board I've taken the advice n.n

but... i can't knit at all :(

I can cast on quite well (and i can do it fast :D)

oh my name is James

hi *waves*

Shandeh
08-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks, how do i ask a question?
I need help with a pattern I have just started but do not know if this is the place to ask the question. Since I clicked on the Introductory button.

Just go to the "How To" section, and post your question there. You'll get lots of help. :)

Click this link to the How To section:

im using continential left hand...but...with every stitch i try the yarm makes a gap between the needles.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a gap. Are there holes in your knitted fabric when you get to the next row?

It might help to watch a video of how to do continental stitching, then compare it to the way you knit.

Knit Stitch Videos:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch

Purl Stitch Videos:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch

lulubell
08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
This is the very first forum or anything I have joined and I have no idea what I am doing. I have replied to a few posts (is that the right word?) but apart from that I am lost. I live in the very Far North of the North Island of New Zealand, and love spinning, dying and knitting. I have one adult son and one very handsome and intelligent grandson who has just turned 12. (What! Me biased??) At the moment I am spinning some v fine merino which I will knit into a baby shawl. I was hoping to do the shawl through the wedding ring thing but I dont think the spinning is quite fine enough. I have loved looking through peoples questions and the replies, what a nice friendly bunch of people.

Shandeh
08-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Welcome lulubell! I wish I could come knit and spin with you in New Zealand. I've heard that it's beautiful there. :heart:

mariam
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
its fantastic.i can't believe it.
well.im a foreign student in london. theres are a few
things that feels nostalgic for me,one f them is knitting.
strange enough.im a complete begginer and i found the site
a great resource.i think if i post something here every week you will have some thing to laugh about as my english is not really good.sorry about that.happpeeeee for being hereeee.i mean finiiiidiiiiiiiiiin here.

frenchprof2008
08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum a couple of minutes ago. I have been knitting for a VERY long time. My mother taught me when I was 12. I also like to crochet. I am involved in a Prayer Shawl group at a local church and have met many wonderful women through this group. It is also nice to know that my creations are going to good homes. Here in south Texas, my family doesn't need a lot of sweaters and mittens.

In a couple of weeks, I'll be taking my first sock class. I'm looking forward to that since I've never knitted with double pointed needles.

Kathy B.

kellybigeyes
08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome Everyone!!

treblecierpke
08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Hello, I'm Treble, a begintermediate knitter (yes, I just made up that word). I love it, but find the simplest things frustrating at times. I'm hoping all you champion knitters out there can provide some help and encouragement!!

kitkey
08-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking around the site for a while now. I'm a beginner but love to knit.

smithrkok
08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Amy,
I have been knitting practically every day for about 9 months but I still have a problem with the purl stitches being larger than the knit stitches. Any suggestions? I tug on the yarn a little after I make the purl stitch but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

nephthys8
08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Erica and I work at a law firm (where I am now--oops!!) in downtown Washington, DC and live in Virginia.

My maternal grandmother who lives in Pennsylvania taught me to crochet when I was younger, but I have recently (in the last 10 days or so) been trying to learn how to knit. Every time I would see a pattern for something I really loved, it seemed like it was always a knit pattern instead of for crochet. It might be a little lame, but I want to learn to make really awesome scarves. :)

I looked around online and then signed up for the forum because I feel like I am having some trouble already, dispite buying a book (probably an unnecessary expenditure now that I know how many free resources are out there) and feeling fairly confident initially.

This forum is exactly the same as another one I used to participate in (must be the vB code), so if anyone wants to know more, just email me or PM me or whatever to get in touch, because I'm not sure what else there is to tell right now.

Shandeh
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Welcome new KHers! :muah:

and nephthys8, you can never buy too many knitting books and magazines. I have over 100 of them! :teehee:

LBECK
08-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome everyone.:muah:

Arielluria
08-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi y'all! It's always nice to get new blood around here :teehee:
:waving::waving::waving:

HulaZeke
08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello Everyone!
Im Rochelle. I live in the Traverse City, MI area with my fiance. I started knitting in the winter of 07 because I wanted to be able to have an activity I could do in the winter that didnt acutally involve me playing in the snow. It feels pretty rewarding to learn something new too! I began learning how to knit from my aunt while she was teaching me how to do hand blown glass also. Im hooked on the knitting and have made way too many dishcloths and scarves. My goal now is to make mittens!

I love this webpage! So thank you so much for all the great videos because they have helped me along the way with my many questions and confusion! Im excited to be a part of the forum and hope to get a lot of great ideas from everyone in the community!

Knitting4Isaiah
08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello, my name is Noreen and I LOoooooooooooooooove this site! I would not be knitting without it. I just started knitting maybe a month ago. I wanted to learn knitting so I could knit my baby some soakers and longies to go over his cloth diapers. I looked at some patterns and wish I could decipher them. My first project is going to be a charity square (more if I can actually get them done)

I also would like to learn crochet at some point to add a detailed finish. I like the look of crochet. Is there a site as awesome as this one for crochet?

Anyway I hope to learn from the experts. I wish I had more time to devote to knittibg, but I do have an 8 month old! Maybe someday.

Melmonkey
08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Hello, I am Melissa W, and have gotten back into knitting. I knit when I was younger and have started to pick it back up in the last year or so. This is a fantastic site with a great wealth of information for all your knitting needs. I can't wait to get to meeting all you wonderful knitters and building up a bigger stash.......shhhhh, don't tell my hunband....lol

cbeecher
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
I used to knit years ago - then did not knit for years but have started again & love it - so many wonderful new yarns! Plus it gives me something to do while my husband watches FOX news.

I wish someone would tell me how to avoid having loose stitches when I change from knit to purl (& purl to knit) when knitting a pattern that has those changes. Carol

Jeremy
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I used to knit years ago - then did not knit for years but have started again & love it - so many wonderful new yarns! Plus it gives me something to do while my husband watches FOX news.

I wish someone would tell me how to avoid having loose stitches when I change from knit to purl (& purl to knit) when knitting a pattern that has those changes. Carol

Welcome to KH. Give yourself some time to get used to knitting again so that you can get a consistent tension. Also have a look at the knit and purl videos to see how Amy creates tension. Good luck.

lulubell
08-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Thank you so much for the welcome! It is winter time at the moment and here in Kaitaia the lowest temperature in the day time is only about 12c to 17c which is pretty warm compared to further down country and night time it does not usually drop below 7 or 8c. We do not really need bulky woollies to keep us warm unless we go to the mid of the North island or further south. (But we do tend to be a bit like hothouse flowers and start to shiver if the temperature drops a couple of degrees.)I do not have a computer at home, so can only catch up with KnittingHelp at work. I live on my own at present, my son (and only child) is 35 and lives in Wellington. He is a computer whizz as so many of his age group are and I think despairs that his mother will ever be computer literate. I have a beautiful Rag Doll cat named Bluebell, and up until 2 months ago had a dog. She is now buried in the garden with a flowering shrub planted on her grave. I am knitting some lace edgings for hand towels at the moment. I am using crochet cotton and very fine wire needles. Not good to knit at night though. Ooops! better get back to work for a little while.

karekarin2003
08-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi my name is Karin. I am totally new to this. Have been crocheting for years. But want to venture out. The videos will be very helpfull.
Thanks.

mrgus3
08-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone! I found this site late one night and have just joined. My name is Nancy. (Mr. Gus is my cat). I have been knitting off and on for quite a few years, but I since joining a local guild and surfing the internet for tutorials, I find that I have so much to still learn. I am teaching some friends and that is so gratifying, because this is a passion of mine and now that I am retiring I can indulge more time in learning and passing it on to others. This site looks as though I am going to learn a lot from y'all.

briansmama
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Amy,

Great site! Thanks for all the help. I'm re-learning how to knit after 20 years (my grandmother taught me when I was a kid).

I'm working on a knitted farm yard for my boys and have needed help a few times. I've been able to find what I need here.

tarrentella
08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Briansmama

Welcome, Im glad you like the site. The knitted farmyard sounds wonderful! if you ever need any help or just want to share knitting thought then these are the forums for you to do it!

Sophie

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome to all of you! :heart: :muah: :heart:

szygross
08-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
is this where i introduce myself ??
Well, if so............HELLOOOOOO

shadylady1216
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Hello! I just joined today, and am not quite sure how this introducing slef thing works. I think I'll go look around some more!

Rosinha
08-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank you Amy,

I had been making my own scarves from a book of stiches and one day a friend directed me to your site. Thanks to this site I have moved on from scarves to some intermidiate projects. I've done my first baby outfit, my first blanket and I am now going to tackle a dress. I couldn't have done it without you.

Thanks from my busy knitting hands in Rhode Island

Shandeh
08-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Welcome everyone! I think you'll like it here.
cloud9

pebbles77
08-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Angela and I'm from the Metro-Detroit area. I'm a flight attendant for NWA and I always see many of my passengers knitting and then I have to bug them to find out how they did it lol. So after being intrigued for so long, I've decided to start knitting myself! My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet as a young child, but I stuck with crochet and have been doing it for many years. I was surprised how many of the knitting basics she taught me I still remembered once I started (although I still have a lot to learn!), and I'm excited to finish my first piece. I'm working on a fairly easy afghan for my friend's soon-to-be-born baby girl.

I look forward to getting to know you all and I thank you in advance for the plethora of questions I know I'll be asking!!

pinkbunny
08-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Hello! I have been knitting for a couple years now. I was self taught. My husband taught me how to crochet, but when I wanted to do something different, the needles called. :) I work full time as a receptionist and am the mother of 4 children, ages 10, 9, 7, and 6. I am always looking to learn new things about knitting. Can't wait to talk to some of you! :woot:

Jeremy
08-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:hug:

crazy4knitting
08-24-2008, 04:29 PM
hello everyone am new to the group(by the way i love). Have been knitting for about 2years.:knitting: i have knitted hats mittens scrafs blankets. and am trying very hard to add to my list, sock(no luck so for):mad: i seem to hit a big :wall: with the socks.
looking forward to making lots of new friends.

IYvonne
08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Hello! I'm Yvonne, 53, mother of two girls. I'm not thebest knitter in the world, but I knit because it calms me down. I also would like to make something from my own hands and say "I did it!!!"
I'll be very grateful for any help I get.

Mommyof2andangel
08-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Melissa. 23 year old SAHM and homeschooling mom to Freja Eowyn (4.5) Raeden Storm (2.5) and my dearest angel Calypso Paikea Rhyder (Forever 23 days old)

I don't knit as often as I wish I could because of severe eye issues, but I recently knit a pair of baby booties for HAIN

annamarie2
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi
My name is anna-marie and I live in the UK! I'm 42 years old and have just started knitting after 25 years away from my last attempts! Let's hope I'm more successful this time.

I've got my first project but I'm stuck already - typical! i hope someone can help..... I will post my query and thank you all for your patience in advance!

Anna-Marie :aww:

nancyj31
08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi, I'm brand new to the site. I'm only a very basic knitter but would love to be able to do more. This looks like the place to get the help to make that happen. I am so happy to have found this site.

nanamoses
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey Knitters,
My name is Nanamoses. I am from Indiana. I am a Beginner Knitter!,
A Women's Pastor, a Mother of five,. I have a 21 month old granddaughter, and a grandson on the way! I just completed two sets of baby booties, ( my daughter is very happy!)

I'm currently working on my third set of baby booties, but this time, I'm learning to make them from using five double pointed needles, which is a little challenging. I'm half way done! But I love it! I've also made;) dishcloths and I'm working on a two color scarf for my son.

I took my first knitting class at a wonderful Knitting store called, "Sheep's Clothing". I learned so much. I'm getting ready to take a second class.
Knitting for me is so very relaxing, and I am so eager to learn. I cant' tell you how much this website has helped me. Thank you!
God bless,
Nanamoses;)

Shandeh
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
I've got my first project but I'm stuck already - typical! i hope someone can help..... I will post my query and thank you all for your patience in advance!
I hope you get the help you need, annamarie!

RagedyReee
08-26-2008, 06:05 AM
RaggedyReee here from Michigan! What a great site! I look forward to wandering about and learning. I have been knitting for 50 years!! Yikes! did I really type that?? But I did learn at my Grandma's knee, I even still have her needles! Not Addis, but they are comforting to use.
Knit On.

Catlover2
08-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. It looks very interesting.
I am a cat lover. I have two female cats--sisters--they love to try to grab my yarn and go.
I am an "intermediate" knitter. I have knitted a couple of baby blankets, bunches of scarves, and a sweater vest. I am currently working on a throw for my mother for her birthday. Hope I can finish by December. hehe
I hate to purl. I have a right shoulder problem and for some reason it hurts my shoulder worse to purl than to knit. I am "throwing" my yarn around the needle somehow. Any suggestions or helps would be great!!!
Again, I am so glad I found this site!!!!
Deb

ngee1971
08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Hello all!!!!!
I'm new here and i have been knitting for only 2 months. I was looking for knitting terms on the internet and came across this site. I am so glad I did!!!!! I have alot to learn and I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you.

thank you

Shandeh
08-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Welcome, new KHers! :hug:
.......I have been knitting for 50 years!!........
Cool! :thumbsup:
I hate to purl. I have a right shoulder problem and for some reason it hurts my shoulder worse to purl than to knit. I am "throwing" my yarn around the needle somehow. Any suggestions or helps would be great!!!
You might want to try knitting different ways. Try Continental and English both. Hopefully one of them will make your knitting less painful.
........I have alot to learn and I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you......
We ALL have a lot to learn, and we teach each other every day!

nbmiss
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi,
I'm marie, 25 and an avid knitter, albeit not a very good one! I do basic stuff well, but haven't yet attempted more challenging project because I never knew where to get the help I needed!
This seem to be the place!
I just finished knitting a very cute checkered baby blanket for my first nephew or niece (on the way) and I'm about to start on a throw for my dear fiance and my first appartment, it's a little challenging but we'll see how I do!

bye for now!
marie

Arielluria
08-27-2008, 01:34 PM
:waving: You're in the right place! Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

bengi
08-27-2008, 01:51 PM
This is Bengi from ıstanbul,Turkey. I'm 49 years old and have two doughters. I love knitting and crochetting. I knit hats,scarfs, pullovers for children. Twice a year I send them to the elementary schools on the east of Turkey.I would like to change the ideas and to learn different cultures.
With all my best wishes..:knitting:

SEO
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi. I've wanted to learn to knit (and crochet) for a long time. My grandmother started to teach me crocheting at one point, and a friend started to teach me knitting, but neither time was there any real follow-through. But now I've picked up a beginning knitting thing from Walmart, with sizes 6 and 8 gauge needles and a pattern book and a couple of skeins of yarn, and I've got a knitting group with the church that I'm joining, so I'm really going to do it this time.

So, when I was going to open the knitting kit this morning, I got intimidated (again), so I did what I always do when I get intimidated, and did a web search. And I landed on this site and the wonderful video demonstrations, and I'm feeling more at ease, and I think I can actually open the kit now. ;)

So, thanks for having this here, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask. :)

~~SEO

crazykntter83
08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi guys I'm a total newbie, and am trying to figure out how to post a new thread? If anyone could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it! Sorry I'm a stupid newbie btw lol

Shandeh
08-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

Hi guys I'm a total newbie, and am trying to figure out how to post a new thread? If anyone could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

1) Go to the main forum page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php
2) Click a section in the forum that pertains to the post you'll be making. ("What'cha Knittin", "How To Questions", etc.)
3) Click "New Thread"

crazykntter83
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
*slaps self on head* yeah, I figured that out last night, after I got to exploring the forums some more. Gah lol. I feel dumb now! Anyway, thanks for the help!!:hug:

Shandeh
08-28-2008, 01:09 PM
No problemo! We were all learning how to post in the forum when we first joined. I think I spent my entire first week here just READING. :hug:

xmasangel69
08-28-2008, 01:49 PM
LUV IT!!!!!!!! I started knitting about 8 months ago and never really new how big of a knitter community there actully is!! thx for the site!! Looking forward to knitting with you all!!

:knitting: cloud9 :cheering: :woohoo: :muah: :grphug: :thumbsup:

MainelyKnitting
08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here for a while, then registered and still I lurked, lol. I figured it was about time to introduce myself.

I'm 43 y/o and mother of 3, stepmother of 5, grandmother of 8...whew!

I started out as a crocheter at a very young age, I learned from my mother. My great-grandmother was a knitter and it was something I always wanted to learn to do (other than the straight knit st scarved I learned at age 7). I learned to knit on dpn's about ten years ago, for the sole purpose of learning socks and mittens and since that point, I hardly ever crochet anymore.

I live in northern Maine, in Aroostook county, known here in Maine as "THE county"... our climate makes all the homemade things I make necessary and now that all the children are grown and live outside our home, I have a lot of time for knitting - which I just love!

I recently got brave and knit my first pair of gloves, now I just keep knitting them. Mostly I knit socks, mittens (& now gloves), hats, scarves and slippers. I am trying to expand my horizons though and will be around the forum often, there is a lot I don't know how to do, such as knitting w/ circ's and also would love to learn to cable.

Again, just thought I'd make my first post...

Have a GREAT day!

Marie in Maine

dodgerfan
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I love this site! I started knitting about 2 months ago and absoultly fell in love with it. I am currently working on wash clothes, scarves and a blanket :)
I am so happy that I found this site and now I have the confinance to start a more challenging project of a purse, so wish me luck :)

rainey
08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone, I am obsessed with knitting. I have known how to knit and crochet since my teens and have made all sorts of things but have only picked up knitting again in the last few months. I'd say I was between beginner and intermediate skill level because I've only just started to do anything on the adventurous side. So I'm really keen to learn from the experienced Knitters.

Shandeh
08-29-2008, 12:29 AM

dizzyfingers
08-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I love this site! I too thank you. I often refer to it and have basically taught myself to knit (properly) through this site. Now I am teaching my daughter (age 29) and directed her here for all the help she'll ever need (except of course that which she can only get from her mother!).

agshipley
08-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm a 'newbie' knitter and I'm thrilled to have found this site! I do more ripping out than actual knitting, but I'm determined to learn. :) I'm a 'fabric collector', some times actually a 'quilter' (but, truthfully? not very often LOL), love books of all kinds, have two wienie dogs that are my 'kids', and I have more interests than I have time for. :) Thank you for letting me join your forum.

h4x0rch1ck
08-30-2008, 03:11 AM
Hello!

I am super happy to have found this site. When I was younger I had an Aunt that tried to teach me knitting but I just couldn't sit still long enough. Now I picked it back up, and am getting addicted quite fast, lol.

I'd say I'm Advanced beginner because I haven't gone farther then scarfs and hats, fair isle, and cables. But I try to learn a different technique every day!

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

irisPAMALA
08-30-2008, 02:38 PM
hello, im new here does any 1 know where i can find a dora doll pattern

irisPAMALA
08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
:knitting: HI EVERY 1 ... THIS SITE IS COOL:woot:

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
I just searched online and couldn't find anything. I don't think a pattern exists for a Dora doll. Looks like you're gonna have to design one yourself. :wink:

kellybigeyes
08-30-2008, 04:24 PM

I found this (http://jojossofties.blogspot.com/2008/05/dora-knitalong.html) about Dora. You might contact the person on this blog.

And I also found this (http://www.breienmetplezier.nl/Breipatronen/dora.htm).

I hope this helps.

imcindy
08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm new here and am hoping I am even doing this post correctly. I'm also new to knitting. I know how to knit and purl and can make a winter scarf. That's it, but I really want to learn more and eventually be good enough to knit sweaters and things like that.

jollyranger
08-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Hi! I have been surfing the site and forum for a few weeks now, and finally decided to join. I have only been knitting for about 2 or 3 months off and on, but I think I am catching on quickly. I started mainly because I wanted to knit a hat for my son to wear home from the hospital, we shall see how well I did when he is born sometime next week! But I've been bit by the knitting bug and can't seem to put my needles down. Not to mention that my Hubby wants a matching hat! I have a lot of questions, and I look forward to meeting other knitters (I haven't met a single one in the town I live in!):waving:

surfcity2tn
08-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi all!
I am Susan from CA, transplanted in TN & loving it! I started knitting about 4 years ago. My mom was a long time knitter and I am trying to catch up.

Question:What does it mean to increase every 4th row twice and then every 6th row (11 times)? Do I increase 1, 2, 3 increase(4), 5, 6, 7 increase (8)? I hope this makes sense! I am working on the sleaves of a sweater.
Thanks & glad to be here.:yay:
Susan

Shandeh
08-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Question:What does it mean to increase every 4th row twice and then every 6th row (11 times)? Do I increase 1, 2, 3 increase(4), 5, 6, 7 increase (8)? I hope this makes sense! I am working on the sleaves of a sweater.
Susan, I'm going to copy this question to the "How To" section of the forum. You'll see your answers there.

camima00
08-31-2008, 10:02 PM
I am trying to do the basics (casting on and the knit stitch). I watch the videos and I cannot make mine look and do the same thing. How does the working yarn wrap around the right needle counterclockwise and make a loop to go through the left needle. That is where I am having trouble. It's not working for me.

I am putting the working yarn behind both needles. Is that what you are suppose to do?

susanknits
08-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Everyone, This site has helped me so much learning how to knit, thanks so much!!:muah:

revcheryl
09-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Hello all you knitters! I've been knitting since June 2005. Was a crocheter before that. But now my crochet hooks are used only to pick up dropped stitches. Looking forward to being part of this group. :woohoo:

Shandeh
09-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forum! :hug:

C3L35T3
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Hello fellow knitter! I am C3L35T3 long time knitter first time forum joiner. If I;m not doing this right let me know!:muah:

heidikraut
09-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Hello, I'm Heidikraut - a British woman living in Germany. I'm afraid I rather rudely barged into this excellent site last week and just posted a 'help me' question without introducing myself. However, I got some excellent help and I've now been spending some time finding my way around here.

In knitting terms I'm not terribly technical: I can manage basic patterns, I can do cable, I'm currently doing a lacy stitch (hoping to do some scarves for Christmas presents). I've not done anything like socks, gloves or knitting in more than one colour. Having this excellent resource makes me feel that I may get to be a bit more adventurous.

Looking forward to getting to know a few people.

best
H.

RelaxedPanic
09-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you for this site! I am just starting to knit and have already found so much help here.

luvmykid28
09-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I just started knitting a couple of months ago. I was getting ready to have a baby and wanted something to do, to keep my mind off labor and other stresses I was expecting to deal with.

The 1st project I knitted was a blanket for my newborn son (he only lived for 5 hours). I wanted him to have something from his mommy. My next project has been a blanket for my beautiful 6 1/2 year old daughter. It's a simple all knit pattern, but she's very excited about it. I have also knitted a couple of scarves for myself and some special friends that helped me through the difficult time after loosing my son.

A friend of mine that is a knitting fiend told me about this site. She said she taught herself how to knit by watching the videos. I actually remembered it one day and used it to figure out how to switch back and forth between knit and purl so I could make the moss pattern. Thanks. I can't wait to use all the things I have read so far. I will definitely be on the site often.

I love to knit, I can do it just about anywhere and anytime. And my husband is very impressed with my work. He's on the list for a few projects.

Jeremy
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Welcome everyone!:hug:

Jeremy
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I am trying to do the basics (casting on and the knit stitch). I watch the videos and I cannot make mine look and do the same thing. How does the working yarn wrap around the right needle counterclockwise and make a loop to go through the left needle. That is where I am having trouble. It's not working for me.

I am putting the working yarn behind both needles. Is that what you are suppose to do?

It sounds like you are doing it correctly but its hard to tell without pictures. A beginner's stitches may not look correct because the tension is different or a dozen other problems. Have a look at the video for continental knitting if only to see the stitch being formed from a different angle.

starlight7
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first time on this sight, and my first time kniting.:yay: I am injoying it very much. This sight is so cool and I'll be coming on as much as possible:woot: Thank You.

thecatsmother
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone
I am on a few sewing forums with knitting areas so I decided to check out some knitting forums.I have been knitting all my life(it seems)we were taught in school and my Grandmother was a wonderful knitter and she taught us at an early age.I also quilt,sew, crochet and garden in the summer.
I am retired so have lots of time for my passions.I just finished a set of doll clothes-I have been wanting to do that for ages,and now I'm scouring my pattern books for different patterns and I'm scouring garage sales for a dolly to put them on...there's no little girls in my family.
I may have been knitting for a while but I still have lots to learn so I'm excited to have found this site

Jeremy
09-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone :hug:

Leany
09-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello Everyone. Im Leany and i started knitting about 2 weeks ago. Its always been an intrest but i never could quite do it correctly. But now that Ive got the hang of it, i find it fun! Alot of your videoes helped me as well. Especially the cast on, because i was so confused looking at the book! @.@

sgtpam
09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Welcome Leany........this is the place to find those knitting buddies........lot's of great kniters with lots of great tips! Have fun getting to know everyone and where to find what you're looking for!

RowenaH
09-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Hello everyone

Just joined up. I'm Rowena and I do love my knitting and I've just taught myself to crochet and have got addicted to amigurumi! Just designed my own version of the Sanrio character 'chococat' and I'm now working on an octopus!

I suffer from ME/CFS so sometimes doing what I love is painful and tiring! My son is only 2 and also takes up a lot of time. He's with his Dad this weekend so I'm going back to bed in a minute for a few extra hours :sleepy:!

I was alerted to the forum by Linnypin and I intend to share her Austin Bear pattern with my knitting group which we will donate to the local children's ward and maybe sell some so we can give the proceeds to the hospital where Austin is being treated.

Nice to meet you all!

Rowena.x

emhr3
09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Wow! What a great site, I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I'm fairly new to computers too.

I'm searching for simple patterns to crochet hats, mittens, maybe some socks or slippers, things to keep orphans warm in Afghanistan and other cold areas in the war zone. I send things over for the troops to hand out to people in need. I collected a lot of donated yarn scraps from a few people including one GREAT lady who also sent me to this site. I've crocheted a lot of simple things (blankets and scarves) but this other stuff is new to me, so far 4 hats down but I need patterns patterns patterns - so I plan to do a lot of looking around on this site.

Thanks for the site and the welcome!
My name is Eileen and I'm in Minnesota and am very happy to be here.
God Bless!

RebaWoosley
09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
:muah: I'm a so-so knitter who loves to find new patterns and try them out. I also crochet and love this site!

AshleyBelle
09-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Hello! I'm knew to knitting, and super excited to get started! This website is AMAZING and has been such a tremendous help!!!:cheering:

I have three children, two still in cloth diapers:) I'm hoping to start knitting wool longies and soakers for them soon, and can't wait to get going:)

reggre
09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi, I decided to join the knittinghelp forum after I viewed the videos on casting on. I didn't know of these ways of casting on and am so happy I found this site. I'm a novice who doesn't seem to have time to knit, crochet, sew, be a mom and wife, work, etc... you get the picture? Nevertheless, I'm happy and still very much content.

ArtLady1981
09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
A warm welcome from all of us!!! We look forward to your friendship, and hope we can continue to be of service to you! :hug:

Shandeh
09-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Welcome, new KHers! :hug:

Defarge666
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi from Consecon Ontario, the cultural hub of the Western World! My main interest is in charity knitting and what is needed in our specific area - even 'cultural hubs' need stuff. I have been knitting for more than 60 years which seems impossible because I can't be that old! thanks for letting me join.

MainelyKnitting
09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
WELCOME EVERYONE!

I am fairly new here too and hope you enjoy the site as much as I do.

Sit back and enjoy!

:grphug:

JustAFloridaGirl
09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Hello, my name is Mariel. I'm (obviously) from Florida but my husband and I recently moved to Utah. I know a few basics of knitting and really only know how to make one thing, my mom calls them "doe shoes" I call them slippers. I learned how to make them from her, and she learned how to make them from my grandmother (who could out craft/cook/sew Martha Stewart any day!) so it's one of those things that's been handed down. Well, that's all fine and good but I want to know how to make other things! Hence how I found this site, I've been trying to increase my knowledge of knitting and this site, so far, has been a wealth of information.

Hmm, what else? I have a B.A. in English Literature and love to write. I dabble in sewing. I LOVE to cook and bake. No children yet. Well, I guess that's about it, lol! I look forward to having fun on this site. :)

Krista
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I've been knitting for about 7 days now. Haven't actually done a project yet but I'm practicing the knitting and done a couple rows of purls. Took me forever to figure out the knit stitch, but I'm improving :D. I got some books from the library today so I'm going to start on a dishrag that doesn't look to complicated :D Atleast it says beginner.

I've practiced binding off as well but not sure what to do after it's bound off so that it won't come apart. I've just been taking it back apart and starting over again.

Anyway, I move to Atlanta in July 07 from a small town near Columbus GA because my husband works in downtown Atlanta. I'm planning on taking some knitting classes and stuff here so that I can meet people and learn at the same time.

So far this site has helped me alot, especially the videos. Though I keep having these dawning moments where I'm watching TV and figure out why what I was doing wasn't working then head and get my ball of yarn as quick as I can. :D To test it.

Anyway, that's a little about me and my knitting experiences. I hope everyone is having a good day.

-Krista

Arielluria
09-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Welcome all :hug: and to all I like to quote what I tell myself whenever a project seems too hard - it's what JFK said when they set the goal to land on the moon ..... "we choose [to go to the moon] not because it is easy, but because it is hard!" I never learn faster then when I jump into a project supposedly more advanced than I think I am.
:flirt:

Shandeh
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome everyone! :)

I've practiced binding off as well but not sure what to do after it's bound off so that it won't come apart. I've just been taking it back apart and starting over again.
Hi Krista!
When you finish binding off the stitches, there will be ONE loop left on your knitting. All you need to do is cut the yarn about 6 inches away from your knitting, and pull the yarn through that one loop. It will lock the last stitch in place. Then, you'll have a piece of yarn hanging - just get a yarn needle and weave that piece of yarn through the back of your knitting project.

Krista
09-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Thanks. I thought that it would be something like that but hadn't tried it. Found a knitting class at one of the local fabric stores for tomorrow night. Maybe that'll help me. :D

beachwalker
09-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I've just gotten back into knitting and am having a lot of fun playing with small projects. I'm so pleased to have found this site that will give me access to other knitters and help me update my skills.

A little about me: I have a BFA in Graphic Design and spent many years in publishing as a book designer and editor. Now I spend most of my days at the drawing board producing large artworks in the drawing mediums. In addition to knitting, I love walking, reading, quilting, classical music, and puzzles of all kinds.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what others are doing here and maybe posting something of my own.:)

Cindy

cboldwoman
09-09-2008, 09:33 AM
What a wonderful forum and site. Thank you for all the valuable information and links! I have been a crocheter all my life, but am fairly new to knitting and need LOTS of pointers!

D0RI
09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi,
I basically know how to knit/crochet, but it's been awhile. My nieces and nephews are starting to have children and I want to try knitting again. I'm looking for a simple raglan, over the head, sweater pattern. But what I want to do, and don't know how, is apply a penguin motif to knit into the sweater. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks. D0RI

Shandeh
09-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:
........I'm looking for a simple raglan, over the head, sweater pattern. But what I want to do, and don't know how, is apply a penguin motif to knit into the sweater. Can anyone help me with this?
Hi D0RI. I'm going to copy your question to the "How To" section of the forum, so you can get some answers. So, be sure to check for responses there!

bttrflykiss621
09-11-2008, 04:50 AM
I started my foray into knitting a year and a half ago when my husband bought me a loom knitter for my birthday. I absolutely loved it and bcz of it, I got interested in needle knitting. I tried it a few months ago but got so tense while knitting, I put it aside. But then I got reinspired last weekend when visiting my mother-in-law and I have been bitten by the bug!
:knitting: :woohoo:

DianM
09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi, Have been knitting for alot of years but still am learning and love to hear about all the new techniques that people are sharing about their adventures in knitting. Story of how things change over the years. Believe it not the first thing I ever made was a pair of socks, my teacher being a family friend so directions were "now you do this" little did I know I was knitting on the dreaded dps or that I was learning short rows when turning the heels and low and behold I finally figured out that Kitchener st. was what I knew as weaving the toe..the one thing to remember is there are only two stitches in knitting "knit and purl" it is what you to with them that gives life to your knitting dreams..

suddenslackness
09-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi, I've been knitting for almost 3 years now and I'm basically a beginner(I knit a lot of scarves). I also use a loom knitter to make hats.

Bleachfan
09-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone.My name is Rachel and I'm 17 years old.I've been crocheting since this June and knitting since this July.I live in Phenix City,Alabama.I have a boyfriend who's one of the sweetest guys I know and a gentleman.:heart: I really like him a lot.:woot: cloud9

Shandeh
09-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum, everyone! :hug:
I think you'll like it here. cloud9

knitpicky
09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi,
I've been knitting so long I can't remember who taught me to knit...Yeah...
However, I've got some questions and thought this might be a great place to start.
Let me state that you have a great place here.
Not only have I learned how do the elusive "purl" stitch, but I have also learned to do double pointed knitting in the round here.
Cool sight.
Thanks a lot for your helpful video's.
knitpicky:knitting:

tmta59
09-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Hello,
I am new to knitting and I found your site by sheer chance! I am learning knitting with French instructions (I live in Paris). It is bad enough I am clueless when following english instructions, you can imagine French:aww:
I am also not too good with calculations/symmetry. So I really need all the help I can get:rofl:
An example for symmetry: number of stitches for symmetry: multiples of 6+5+1 stitch at each end.
What does that mean...and how do I calculate?
So, if anyone out there can explain to me in simple terms (I have very limited logical thinking, by the way:teehee: ) it would be a tremendous advancement for me!
Thank you

ArtLady1981
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi,
I've been knitting so long I can't remember who taught me to knit...Yeah...
However, I've got some questions and thought this might be a great place to start.
Let me state that you have a great place here.
Not only have I learned how do the elusive "purl" stitch, but I have also learned to do double pointed knitting in the round here.
Cool sight.
Thanks a lot for your helpful video's.
knitpicky:knitting:

Hi New Guy/knitpicky!

You are in the right place at the right time! We welcome you!

I, too, had learned to knit many many many years ago...and while I didn't think I knew it all....I certainly was shocked at how much I learned from Amy's knitting videos! Some of her videos completed upgraded the quality of my knits! Other videos shed light on elusive, scary techniques that were so simple when viewed on the video clips! (for example...I-cord!)

We hope you will use our HOW TO section for special help anytime you feel the need!

MrsArias
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm glad I found this site. I sure need my knit fix, I moved to a small (quilting) community and there's no knitting stores.
I've been here a year and I've taken to watching the Yarn Harlot on
YouTube just to feel like there's other knitters out there. I hope
you visit often. Signed MrsArias

ArtLady1981
09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi MrsArias!

We are so happy that you joined our knitting community!

Also, please feel free to ask for help in our HOW TO section anytime. No question is considered too small! We are here for you!

And we would love to see your knitted items in our WHATCHA KNITTING section, too!

We hope you enjoy all aspects of Knitting Help.com Forum!

Hugs, :hug:

Artlady

Shandeh
09-15-2008, 11:54 PM
An example for symmetry: number of stitches for symmetry: multiples of 6+5+1 stitch at each end.
What does that mean...and how do I calculate?
So, if anyone out there can explain to me in simple terms (I have very limited logical thinking, by the way:teehee: ) it would be a tremendous advancement for me!
Welcome tmta59!
I've copied your question to the "How To" section, so you'll get some answers.

tmta59
09-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Thank you to Shandeh for helping and for the knitting diary with videos. I work better with the videos than written instructions.

mlanhs
09-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi, My name is Lisa and I am new to this site. I was hoping someone has made the braided pullover in the fall interweave 2008. I am having difficulty with page 199 row 2 & 3 of the 2nd coulumn. When I knit the cable on the WS it does not bring me to the side that the pattern says. Very confusing....anyone have any ideas?
I am not even sure if I am posting this in the right place.
thx

busyknitmom
09-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi. My name is Lindsay, sahm to 3 children and just learning to knit. The videos are so helpful, I love them. So, I haven't actually made anything but a practice piece but I managed to cast on, knit, purl and cast off with only a few mistakes. And now I feel addicted. I know I'll have lots of questions, so thanks in advance.

chipsgirl
09-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I just finished a wonderfully soft garter stitch scarf: rayon chenille yarn, plus a trip through the washer (with a little fabric softener) and dryer. Even though garter is boring, it's great for movie-watching and red lights (especially in rush-hour traffic) and looks elegant after it's been washed. Christmas is coming...
chipsgirl

VULaLa
09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Hello everyone! I'm Victoria, and I love to knit, but sometimes the silliest things trip me up. It will be great to have this site to help me when I'm a little lost or have a question. TIA to everyone. :)

Jeremy
09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone!

Betty
09-18-2008, 05:48 PM
:knitting: Betty:That's me a newbie. I would love to know what the answer was to the age old question " What do I do with the stockinette that curls?"
I knit a lot and have never found a trick that works.
I knit in a group and am usually the one who is asked how to get out of trouble by my groupies and most of the time I know how to help them.
BUT THE CURL IS A MYSTERY.
Looking forward to the answer, and hanging around this bunch of smarties.

fuzzylock1
09-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi!!!
I am fuzzylock1 and I have been knitting for almost three years now. I have knitted a scarf, hat, an adult turtleneck sweater, and now I am knitting a infant hoodie for a cousin. I would love to knit more, but it can become difficult to find the time between family and work. :knitting:
There is a husband of 4 years and 2 children in my life who are the best part of me. They are 9 and 3 years of age. Atlanta has always been my home but I am a country girl at heart. :heart:
I am not really new to this forum but it has been a very long time since I visited.
Thanks for having me. I am glad there is a place to chat with other knitters.:woot:

Jeremy
09-18-2008, 11:16 PM
:knitting: Betty:That's me a newbie. I would love to know what the answer was to the age old question " What do I do with the stockinette that curls?"
I knit a lot and have never found a trick that works.
I knit in a group and am usually the one who is asked how to get out of trouble by my groupies and most of the time I know how to help them.
BUT THE CURL IS A MYSTERY.
Looking forward to the answer, and hanging around this bunch of smarties.

Hi Betty. Welcome. There is a sticky at the top of the page here

that takes the mysteries out of curling stockinette.

mom510
09-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi

I'm a new member but not new to knitting. I've finally figured out magic loop (by watching a video clip on this site) and I'm making a pair of (practice) toddler socks from Melanie Morgan-Oakes' book on knitting two socks on one needle (I'm cheating and making one sock on one needle and the other sock on another needle because I'm not familiar with the technique). Anyway, I've made many hats in the round that started with ribbing. After the ribbing ended, I switched to knitting every row and got stockinette ON THE OUTSIDE of the hat, as one would expect. I've finished the ribbing on these socks and started the stockinette ... but I'm getting garter on the outside and stockinette in the inside. I can't figure out why. Should I just turn the socks inside out and proceed? Am I doing something wrong? The ribbing is fine and the technique is working out well. So, I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mom of 3 and grandmom of 2 (if these socks succeed, the baby will end up with the socks)

Madeleine

Shandeh
09-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:
........I was hoping someone has made the braided pullover in the fall interweave 2008. I am having difficulty with page 199 row 2 & 3 of the 2nd coulumn.
........I've finished the ribbing on these socks and started the stockinette ... but I'm getting garter on the outside and stockinette in the inside.
Lisa and Madeleine, I'm copying both of your questions to the "How To" section of the forum. I hope you get the answers you need there! :)

rahchayl
09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Hi All, I'm excited to try this new form of,'a knitters community'. :grphug: I'm interested in a wide variety of styles & am still a relatively new knitter. So much to learn & so many projects. I want to do !
I have a tangible grp here. I've been exploring miniature knitting. Wee sweaters, dresses, socks... So would love tips & suggestions from any of you out there playing with 1/4" scale or smaller... :knitting: Rahchayl

JamieN
09-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi, My names is Jamie ! I am so glad that I found this forum ... I love to learn how to knit ..I know just basic and how to knit a scarf, I plan to knit a sweater for my bf .. but .I... dont know how to start .. Hope that everyone in here ( Master in Knitting) can help me finish the project ... :woot: so I can give the sweater to him on Christmas .. cant wait to see his surprise face ... :happydance:

KnitterJen
09-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi, my name's Jen and I just picked up knitting a couple of months ago and I was looking for others who shared my hobby and I came across this message board. I am looking forward to talking with some of you and gleaning some advice and help as I start into knitting.

ArtLady1981
09-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Welcome to our Forum, Jen! We are happy you are finally here! :grphug:

MoniDew
09-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi, I used to be a relatively active member, a LONG time ago. I was really in a bad place, emotionally, at that time, and I decided not to participate just to avoid hurting other people with my nasty attitude. I have (hopefully) worked on myself during that time, and I am looking forward to participating in this beloved site once again. Are you guys willing to take me back? (Please?)

In the meantime, I have started a small business selling hand-crafted, premium teas. I know, it has nothing to do with knitting, but I've got to make a living some way. Besides, many knitter love a great mug of tea (while knitting, or just whenever!) Please come check out my website! And don't forget to sign the guestbook and let me know you found me from KH! THANK YOU!
________
HERB SCALES (http://www.vaporshop.com/scales)

akhushtal
09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I've been knitting for about 10 years but the videos are helping me get to a new level. Love you site. Thanks, Juli

Shandeh
09-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the forum! :hug:

ArtLady1981
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I've been knitting for about 10 years but the videos are helping me get to a new level. Love you site. Thanks, Juli

Same goes for me! Yer never too old, nor too proficient, to learn something new! I have learned some of the neatest things from newbie upstarts! :teehee: Sometimes a newbie thinks outside the box...and they come up with something GENIUS!

I've been knitting since 1970...and still have much to learn!

Glad you are with us! :grphug:

Jeremy
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi, I used to be a relatively active member, a LONG time ago. I was really in a bad place, emotionally, at that time, and I decided not to participate just to avoid hurting other people with my nasty attitude. I have (hopefully) worked on myself during that time, and I am looking forward to participating in this beloved site once again. Are you guys willing to take me back? (Please?)

In the meantime, I have started a small business selling hand-crafted, premium teas. I know, it has nothing to do with knitting, but I've got to make a living some way. Besides, many knitter love a great mug of tea (while knitting, or just whenever!) Please come check out my website! And don't forget to sign the guestbook and let me know you found me from KH! THANK YOU!

Welcome Back!:hug:

poeticlicense1660
09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey everyone! I used to knit a little (a VERY little) but I recently found my old needles in the back of my closet after some cleaning and decided to take it back up again. I'm really coming back into it full force this time though!! I'v only knitted a couple stockinette stitch scarves but I'm trying my hand at socks with dpns, and I'm finding it to be pretty tricky...I've got some ambitious plans for the future for my knitting though, so I look forward to getting to know you all and improve on my knitting!

ArtLady1981
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey everyone! I used to knit a little (a VERY little) but I recently found my old needles in the back of my closet after some cleaning and decided to take it back up again. I'm really coming back into it full force this time though!! I'v only knitted a couple stockinette stitch scarves but I'm trying my hand at socks with dpns, and I'm finding it to be pretty tricky...I've got some ambitious plans for the future for my knitting though, so I look forward to getting to know you all and improve on my knitting!

Thanks for joining yourself to us, and we appreciate your input!
You will especially enjoy the video clips that Amy (our KH mother!) has available! At the top of the page, you will see various tabs, one of which is called VIEW VIDEOS! Browse through the contents! I taught myself to do "magic loop" knitting, an alternative to dpn's for socks! People who hate manipulating 4 or 5 dpn's for socks really love the "magic loop" method! However, magic loop method requires a pair of circular needles with a very long cable, like at least 32"...and longer is even better. Just view the video. Amy talks about it.

In the meantime, knit on Good Woman! We look forward to seeing photos of your 'finished knitted things' in WHATCHA KNITTING section of the Forum!

Don't hesitate to message any of our Mods for help in navigating your way around the Forum! There are some good links in my signature. Especially helpful is the HOW TO POST PHOTOS.

See ya'! :waving:

Kajermei
09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Hello all!
This is my first membership in a knitting group and I have lots of questions for you all. I thought I knew all about knitting but I keep finding techniques that are new to me and problems I don't know how to solve! I joined to get all your expertise! I have been knitting most of my life but sticking with safe projects a lot of the time. Now I want to step up my game (at least a little!) and need knitters greater than I. I really look forward to learning from you all!
Jen D. ("kajermei" is Bengali for a solid, steady hard-working girl!)

Kajermei
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Guys!
I am a knitter of long-standing and have had a resurgeance of late! Trouble is, I am finding my skills aren't up to some tasks. Fr'instance, I can't seem to do stripes w/out creating a hole between the new and old yarn! So I decided to join up and pick your collective brains!
I have mostly been knitting hats for babies and toddlers. I knit a gorgeous chullo for my daughter last year. I have to say it's one of the best things I've done! Lined it with polar fleece. Made braided tassles as well. Anyhoo, you all seem like a fun group and I am looking forward to being part of you!
Jen D.("kajermei" is Bengali for a sturdy, hard-working girl!)

kacyann
09-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I have been teaching myself to knit, I have a big problem. in ribbing am doing the knit 2 purl 2. ok the question is do when i reach the end can i end on any stitch and how do i start the next row?

ArtLady1981
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I have been teaching myself to knit, I have a big problem. in ribbing am doing the knit 2 purl 2. ok the question is do when i reach the end can i end on any stitch and how do i start the next row?

You can end on any sequence, either K2 or P2...but you should be ending with 2 of the same.

When you turn the work: if you ended row 1 with P2...you begin row 2 with K2...BUT if you ended row 1 with K2, you begin row 2 with P2. This is called knitting the knits, and purling the purls as they present themselves across the row.

Familiarize yourself with what a KNIT STITCH looks like from the side that is facing you as you knit.

Conversely, familiarize yourself with what a PURL STITCH looks like from the side that is facing you as you knit.

With ribbing, you knit the knits and purl the purls on both sides that are facing you at any given time. That is standard ribbing...and standard ribbing can have any amount of KNITS & PURLS prescribed across the row. For example, some ribbing might say to start by K3P2 across the row. On the reverse side, you would be doing K2P3...thusly maintaining the right sequencing of knitting the knits and purling the purls.

NOTE: a KNIT STITCH on row 1 will be a PURL STITCH on row 2. The backside of a knit stitch is a purl stitch.

Please click this link: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/../videos/knitting-tips) and scroll down to BASIC STITCH PATTERNS. We have a short little video clip of RIBBING! Click the blue camera if you are an English knitter (someone who throws the working yarn around the left needle)...and the pink camera if you are a Continental knitter (someone who picks the working yarn through, all on the left needle).

ArtLady1981
09-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Guys!
I am a knitter of long-standing and have had a resurgence of late! Trouble is, I am finding my skills aren't up to some tasks. Fr'instance, I can't seem to do stripes w/out creating a hole between the new and old yarn! So I decided to join up and pick your collective brains!
I have mostly been knitting hats for babies and toddlers. I knit a gorgeous chullo for my daughter last year. I have to say it's one of the best things I've done! Lined it with polar fleece. Made braided tassles as well. Anyhoo, you all seem like a fun group and I am looking forward to being part of you!
Jen D.("kajermei" is Bengali for a sturdy, hard-working girl!)

Are you tying in the new stripe color at the beginning of the row, or in the middle of the row?

If you are tying on the new color at the beginning of a row (which is what I do) you should not have a hole. There'd be no way for a hole to be created...which leads me to think you are starting the new color in the middle of a row.

If this is the case, you need to wrap color A around color B...then proceed on you merry way with color B.

This "wrap" or intertwining is what keeps them from having a hole or gap.

Please click this link:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/../videos/advanced-techniques)

and scroll down to the 5th lesson called:
How to knit with 2 colors at a time

The video clip will give you some good tips that will help you fix your hole issues!

This video clip is a part of our website here at Knitting Help.
It is located at the top of your page here under the second tab called VIEW VIDEOS. In the drop-down options, I found How to Knit with 2 colors under ADVANCED TECHNIQUES.

Hope this helps! It is easier to SEE AND LEARN...than to READ AND LEARN for me...and I expect it is the same for you!

greatlakesgirl
09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi! I'm Jennifer from Michigan and have just learned how to knit last winter. I love it! I have made so many scarves and have moved on to prayer shawls. But, I am ready for something different. I just don't know how to read and follow those patterns. I know that I'll get it and this website has been a tremendous help, but I sure would love to take a class!! Our local JoAnn Fabrics advertised that they were having a class this week but when I called, they said that no one had signed up and they needed at least 3 people to hold the class. I'm so bummed! :mad: They were going to teach the seed stitch and how to read a pattern and changing yarn colors!!!! Well, I hope to learn from all of you out there!!!

:knitting:
Jennifer

tulipberry999
09-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm a "try it again" knitter with a bad case of uncoordination, but a lot of heart. I have two beautiful girls, who inspire me to knit. I'd like to make them a blanket and a scarf. :)

Due to my bad coordination issues I find knitting very challenging. I'm looking for a ton of tips! :)

Gertie
09-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Welcome, Jen! This is a great place to lurk & learn or post a question. Great friends here. :thumbsup:

knittingknewbie
09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi, all. I joined this forum last winter and through the fabulous videos, i actually learned to knit. I love it. As the weather is cooling just a bit, I'm feeling my yarn stash call to me.

I do have a question......Now that I've made more than enough scarves and dishcloths, what should I turn to next in terms of difficulty? Socks? Sweaters? Hats? I have the desire to knit anything and everything, but I don't want to frustrate myself by choosing something that is beyond my novice skills.

Shandeh
09-24-2008, 12:07 AM

......Now that I've made more than enough scarves and dishcloths, what should I turn to next in terms of difficulty? Socks? Sweaters? Hats?
Hats are a great choice for something new. They are quick and simple. You can make one with two needles, or learn circular knitting with dpns and circular needles. Just look for free patterns for hats on the internet, and learn the techniques to make them by asking for help here in the forum. Good luck!

DeeMac
09-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone my name is Dee and I love YARN, YARN, YARN and KNITTING. I'm very new to the forum and how to use it. It's taken me a very long time to figure out how to get this window I'm typing in now. LOL I'm new to blogging too. Have patience please. Actually, if I get this posted tonight I'll feel like I've made a giant step to learning!!! :woot:

I am really having some troubles with "YF," "YO" and "YRN" Are they all the same thing .... resulting in an increase???? Once I bring my yarn forward and then attempt the next stitch (in this case a knit stitch) I am having a lot of difficulty. I looked for a long time through the technique videos and didn't find anything to help.[;p

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

ArtLady1981
09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone my name is Dee and I love YARN, YARN, YARN and KNITTING. I'm very new to the forum and how to use it. It's taken me a very long time to figure out how to get this window I'm typing in now. LOL I'm new to blogging too. Have patience please. Actually, if I get this posted tonight I'll feel like I've made a giant step to learning!!! :woot:

I am really having some troubles with "YF," "YO" and "YRN" Are they all the same thing .... resulting in an increase???? Once I bring my yarn forward and then attempt the next stitch (in this case a knit stitch) I am having a lot of difficulty. I looked for a long time through the technique videos and didn't find anything to help.[;p

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

WELCOME DEE! :muah:

YF,YO, YRN are all the same thing. Just different terminology.

Whether executing a YF, YO, YRN there is one thing to remember: First, visualize two existing stitches...and you're supposed to make a YO inbetween them:
a) If you knit a stitch, YO, then knit the next stitch...for the YO just flop the yarn to the front of the work and knit that 2nd stitch.
b) If you knit a stitch, YO, then purl the next stitch...you kinda have to wrap the yarn round the needle to get the extra stitch out of the YO/YRN maneuver. That is when the term YARN ROUND NEEDLE (YRN) comes into more specific play!

Don't be afraid to tinker with this! It is easy. Just keep an eye on what you accomplished. If there is an extra "leg" or stitch inbetween two existing stitches, you done it right! :thumbsup:

choben
09-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Hello hello! I am so glad to join you all in this universe of knitting! :woohoo: I have been knitting avidly for 5 years, because all my grown-up children and younger relatives have decided to have babies. I feel that a new little one needs a hand-knit baby blanket stitched with love and sent with warmest wishes. So we have 7 grandchildren under 4 years, and 8 other little ones. :grphug: Whew!
Now I would like to knit for adults. And in my eager first attempt to make a sleeveless top, I finished the neckline and did a 3 needle bind off for the shoulder seams and sewed up the side seams. Then I realized the neckline would not go over the head of an adult, or even a baby. The neckline circomference is only 13 inches. Help! TIA
Cathy

Shandeh
09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome choben!
You have lots of kids to knit for!

I'm not sure what advice to give you on the small neckline. You might want to post your question in the "How To" section of the forum.

camsgramma
09-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone

I am Judy and I live in Ontario Canada. Cam is my grandson, only grandchild. He is challenged and he is 13 but functions at age 4. He lives with me and has numerous other problems, but he is my special boy. Used to knit years ago but haven't done any lately. I want to start knitting for the various charities and also to send overseas to needy countries. God Bless and thanks for allowing me on your forum.

dlccivil
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Hello All,

I am new here. I have been knitting for a year now and this web site taught me how:woohoo: . I tell everyone who wants to learn how to knit to come here. It is better then a friend because you can run the video again and again and you aren't bothering it.

Thanks!

Dawn

ArtLady1981
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
WELCOME to our knitting community, Camsgramma and dlccivil (Dawn)! We are so happy to have quality folks like you!

We are here to help you with your knitting, to support your efforts, and to pat you on the back for your accomplishments!

Knit on Good Women! :hug:

Shandeh
09-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :)

.........I want to start knitting for the various charities and also to send overseas to needy countries.
Be sure to check out the "Charity Knitting" section of our forum! We have lots of choices for charity knitting.
:hug:

...........It is better then a friend because you can run the video again and again and you aren't bothering it..........
That's the way I learned too. And it was nice to be able to watch my "knitting instructor" at all hours of the day and night!

camsgramma
09-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone.

My name is Judy and I am 63. i live in Oshawa, Ontario canada.

Used to do a lot of knitting but haven't done much of anything lately. Am all enthused now about crocheting and knitting things to send overseas, like stuffed toys and hats and mitts. Also to donate to charities here at home, like blankets for the homeless. Our Michaels collects squares which are sewn together to make afghans. I know this is done in the States also. I want to do some of those squares too, and then I was viewing the crocheted teddy bears and decided that would be fun, then the afghan patterns. If I start now should get everything done by the 23rd century hopefully.

Enjoy all the questions and introductions of everyone. It took me forever to figure out how to do this, so hope this is right. Oh the joys of getting old.

Hugs

VatIzNitting
09-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Hola!

Guess i'm the newest kid in town. I'm more into crocheting than knitting. *glances about uneasily* However, i recently found several knitting patterns that i just had to try. Unfortunately, certain parts of those patterns have left me scratching my head and blinking like i just suffered a head trauma. Basically lots of "huh?" and "wait, what?!" and quite a lot "that's it! i'll just wrap the yarn around myself until it looks sweater-like. no one will notice." And that's how i found my way here.

So, you'll basically be bumping into me in the How-To threads. Be gentle. :)