PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

AutumnAngelle
09-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Hello all...
I am some what new to knitting.. I have been trying to teach myself over the last couple of years.. Started a bunch of things but never finished any of them... :-P Mainly because I felt it had to be perfect but now I realize it doesn't have to be perfect I just need to be happy with it!!!! :) I started a shawl 2 years ago and put it away cuz of too many boo boos but now I am going to finish it and wear it proudly as it is the first thing I taught myself to knit.. :woohoo: Right now I ma working on a basic scarf and hopefully hat to match then who knows whats next... I am hoping to take a few classes as I am one of the knows that learns alot better being shown a couple times then I am fine.. Unfortunately I will have to make the 45 minute drive to Nashville to do so...
Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning what I can...

Shandeh
09-27-2008, 10:55 PM
.......Am all enthused now about crocheting and knitting things to send overseas, like stuffed toys and hats and mitts. Also to donate to charities here at home, like blankets for the homeless.
Be sure to check out our charity section! :hug:
.......Unfortunately, certain parts of those patterns have left me scratching my head and blinking like i just suffered a head trauma. Basically lots of "huh?" and "wait, what?!"....
Hang in there. Before too long, you'll be a PRO! :thumbsup:
..........now I realize it doesn't have to be perfect I just need to be happy with it!!!! :)
Exactly!! :woohoo:

welshdave
09-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone

I'm Dave and I live in the UK. I'm 25, and have recently taken up knitting. I was taught how to knit by my grandmother at a young age, and found that it was very easy to pick it up again. I love the videos on this site - they're very helpful in learning techniques I've not come across before.

At the moment I'm knitting an afghan quilt - I've done about 20 squares out of the 112 required, so quite a way to go yet! It'd be interesting to see if there are a) any male knitters here, and b) any in their twenties!

Cheers
Dave

Shandeh
09-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Hi Dave! There are several male knitters in the forum. Just keep your eyes peeled, and you'll find them.
:)

onthehillgirl
09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Glad to have found you! The truth being this is my first 'blog' that I have connected with so please excuse the infancy. I do have a question and am not sure to start a thread or search for one. I am sure this question has been asked over and over. I am a recent sockaholic yet every pair I knit, the second sock is smaller width wide from the first. Is it that I am getting more relaxed? They have all been new patterns. Help!

Shandeh
09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, onthehillgirl! :hug:

Your tension might have changed with the second sock. Or, you might have made the first sock with larger needles by accident. (I speak from experience...because I've done that before.) :roll:

Now, whenever I make socks, I cast on BOTH at the same time, and knit one row at a time on each one. This way, they both turn out EXACTLY the same. I'm a bit "particular" about my socks, I guess. :teehee:

addiet
09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi, my name is Addie. I just recently started knitting again, and I am still trying to decipher patterns and instructions. I will more likely than not be lurking about the how-to threads. :)

Please forgive me any oafishness as I'm not really familiar with this forum format, I'll get it, I promise. :)

Thanks!

DazzleMea
09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi, my name is Meagan. I'm a mother of two in Ohio. I first learned how to knit a little over a year ago. I tried to learn from a book..but just found myself frustrated. Someone suggested this site to me and here is where I learned :thumbsup:

I had to put my knitting down for several months due to "excessive breastfeeding".....I was lucky to get 10 minutes to myself. But I'm back to knitting again - and very happy to be doing so!

Shandeh
09-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the forum! :hug:

raggydog
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi: I am Joanne aka Raggydog, new to the site and a knitter who has been beginning for about 30 years. I found this site and it solved a lot of problems I had been having so decided to join so I could ask questions.

ronis
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi, my name is Ronis. I am a retired elementary school teacher in Texas. We live just outside of Houston. Knitting has helped to take my mind off the effects of Hurricane Ike.

Shandeh
10-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Nice to have you in the forum! You'll find lots of help and plenty of knitting friends here. :hug:

Graysea
10-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

I, just did the math and discovered I have been knitting for over 40 years......but I still consider myself a novice! I discovered Amy's wonderful, encouraging site soon after she created it. It is a real gift! I bought her CD and am so grateful for her hard work that offers me such practical help again and again whether I am on line or just using the CD off line.

Currently I am trying to master the magic loop method and have started a pair of socks three times so far, but have not given up!

Some friends in northern CA coached me through creating five pairs of socks on double point needles from 2000-2006. [Somehow or other they also talked me into learning how to process wool from sheep to spinning yarn! This past Sunday afternoon I took my Ashford Joy spinning wheel and spun yarn at the Flock and Fiber Festival in Canby, OR near where we currently live. Fun!!!]

winkie
10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi,
I recently renewed by interest in knitting again. I am a crochet
person. I am attempting knit a beret and a skull cap.
My test result on the beret was not too bad (few missed stitches , etc.)
How do I insert Alphabets in a projects.:wink: I would like to make a cap
with Greek letters for my two grand kids sorority. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jogieknits
10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Hello to Everyone! Just introduced to this site and what a great site it is! Can't wait to look at everything. Thanks and God Bless,

reinaknits
10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
This will be a big help when I get what we call OMG stuck..LOL :)
Thank you so much, my friend on Ravelry guided me here.
Thank Ariel luria.:hug:
Hugz, reina (reinaknits)

Shandeh
10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
.......This past Sunday afternoon I took my Ashford Joy spinning wheel and spun yarn at the Flock and Fiber Festival in Canby, OR near where we currently live. Fun!!!
I'm a beginning spinner myself, and really enjoy it as well. Be sure to check out the "Spinning" section of our forum! :)
.......How do I insert Alphabets in a projects.:wink: I would like to make a cap with Greek letters for my two grand kids sorority. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
You have a couple options for putting letters in your knitting. You can use the intarsia method to knit them in as you go, or you can just do duplicate stitch embroidery when you finish your knitting. (That's what I usually do.)

KnittinChick
10-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm Kat. 42 year old mother of 2 from Reno. I'm lucky enough to have "Jimmy Beans Wool" a block away from my office, but when I need a question answered at 3 am, they're not available. :teehee:
My grandmother taught me to knit at age 8, but I didn't become a knitting fanatic until about 2004.
Trying to learn to knit socks has been....frustrating, to say the least. :hair:
I recently learned I have a granddaughter on the way in January, so I'm making lots of baby projects.
I look forward to meeting you and learning more along the way.

Kuschelschaf
10-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Brittany and I am 21. I am an avid crocheter, but I recently started knitting. I got bored over the summer and taught myself. :)

smashlydawn
10-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi, I just recently sparked an interest in knitting, and I'm still VERY new to it. I just started about a week ago. And I just threw myself in. My name is Ashley, I'm 24 (on the 22nd!!) I have 2 kids...4 year old girl, and almost 1 year old little boy. (on the 12th). My youngest has Cystic Fibrosis. Um...I can't think of much else except that I super want to knit. LOL!

knithappymomma
10-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi. I just learned how to knit last year around Christmas using this website. I joined as a member today. So far, I have knitted one hat, four scarves, and a hairtie. I am working on a new set of hats for my family, and will be replacing my daughter's scarf (It was the first thing I ever did and it looks aweful!). I look forward to learning from and sharing with each of you.

knithappymomma
10-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Hello Smashlydawn. I think you chose the right site. Use the videos, they are super helpful. I have been knitting for almost a year, and learned how to here on this website. I am 26, and it is great to see someone who is younger taking an interest. The only people I know who knit are aunts and great aunts of mine. I even tried to teach a friend so that she could knit with me. Crocheting is also fun, have you tried that?

Kuschelschaf
10-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I must agree with you. The videos are EXTREMELY helpful. My mom has been knitting since she was 18 (I am 21... so that means she has been knitting for a LONG time ;) ) and she tried to show me, but I just wasn't getting it. I found this site by accident and I was able to teach myself that same night. My mom knits English style, I knit continental. My mom uses the single cast on, I use the long tail (so we are totally opposite of each other!) Actually, when I went to the yarn shop about a week later to buy some crochet hooks, I decided to buy some knitting needles too and a week later I made my first scarf from an Ella Rae book. When I brought it back to the shop to show the owner, she was so impressed, she didn't even believe I was a beginner.

Personally, I think if you start out using good materials, it makes learning easier and more fun (I started using addi turbo circulars and the yarn from the yarn shop).

I also enjoy crocheting, I have been crocheting for a year and it is advisable to learn both because of versatility. :) I found continental was easier to learn because I hold the yarn in my left hand when I crochet, so knitting English style was almost impossible. :)

teachermom
10-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm a 30 something mom of 2 who likes to knit, quilt, and sew anything. I also teach full time and am currently in grad school (finish next year) I just stumbled onto this site while trying to locate some videos so I could teach about 15 middle school girls how to knit.

I've never really taught anyone how to knit before so I needed all the help I could get. This site has been a great resource.

My grandmother taught me how to knit - continential method and that's all I've done. I self taught myself crochet. I prefer to knit but do enjoy crochet from time to time.

I'm currently working on a knit lacy shrug... saw the pattern and had to knit it. I wish I had more time to knit, but I try to knit at least 2 rows a night - this is hard from me because I'd rather sit and knit for hours straight.

I'm looking forward to getting checking this site out more often.

Teachermom

juliehl
10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi

I am so glad I found this site to help me with all my knitting questions. I am just starting and will be asking so many questions.

Thank You
Julie

karenmarie
10-05-2008, 10:01 PM
What a great site. I just started knitting last week and I have found this to be very very helpful and easy. I really like the videos! I am so excited to learn how to knit!! Thanks so much.

Natty31
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Hello, Everyone , Newbie at knitting , this is my first day :) and would like to say that this is a great site.

JasminJaquine
10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello! I'm new to this wonderful place as well (suppose that would by why I'm posting in this thread ;) ).

I've been sort of lurking for a couple weeks now, but I've been loving the videos and the refresher to help me relearn to knit. I learned from my Godmom when I was 12 and now I'm 26 and picking it up again.

Not sure how much I'll really really post, but I'll likely be around quite a bit as with budgets tight for Christmas, homemade gifts will be the trend this year, especially with my eyes watching for sales on yarns!

I just started working on a scarf for my future mother-in-law for Christmas, and she even got to pick out the colors, so she seems more excited than me!

yarnpiggy
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone!!! I'm just getting back to knitting after a hiatus that lasted about a year and a half. I started knitting 4 years ago.

I live in MN with my new husband (we were married 8/23/08) and our Boston Terrier, Lucy. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and chatting about knitting.

knitsky
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi there...

I am knitsky and I am doing my best to introduce myself, hoping that this message gets through.

I am back to knitting after about fifteen years, and I am just loving being bac. Right now I am looking for knitting patterns for Patons Grace. So far I have some exquisite scarves, but that's about it. Any suggestions?

Glad to be aboard...
knitsky:

AutumnHarvest
10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi! I'm new here. I've been crochetting for nearly 15 years and I want to learn how to knit. I would love to be able to make knitted sweaters, socks, scarves, etc. I tried to learn how to knit a few years ago (from books) but my stitches were so tight I broke the yarn! So I'm hoping that the videos will be a wonderful learning tool as I personally don't know anyone that knits.

Autumn

Shandeh
10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :heart: :hug: :heart:

......I am looking for knitting patterns for Patons Grace.
Hi knitsky!
Here are some knitting patterns for Patons Grace:
Dappled Lace Curtain (http://www.knitpicks.com/Lace+Curtain_PD50576220.html)
Clapotis Scarf or Wrap (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html)
Lelah Top (http://web.archive.org/web/20051226172356/http://knittingforboozehags.com/freebirds/lelah-top)
The Leaf Tee (http://www.knittingschooldropout.com/2006/05/done_part_two.htm)
Everlasting Bagstopper (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTeverlasting.html)
Saartje's Baby Booties (http://members.home.nl/tdpj/Patronen/Bootees/Saartjes%20bootees.pdf)

Ishie
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a self-confessed nerd from Sydney about to complete his final year of highschool (Hahaha...I sound like a troll). I've been knitting for about 4 years now, mostly for charity and scarves for family and friends when I'm on school holidays.

This forum looks soo inviting- its going to be fun on here =)

miyurose
10-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi all! Newbie here. I'm pretty much still a beginner, with a couple of finished scarves under my belt. I'm currently working on a baby cardigan, but some of it scares me! The videos here really have helped me, especially with figuring out how to cast on and off!

knitarose
10-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi I started knitting a year ago and just found this site. It's great!
tia for the help.

paliphany
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone!! I'm a new member. I started knitting about a year ago. I must admit, yesterday was the first project I finished. I have found many of the posts here very useful and have given me many ideas. Thank you for this site!!!:cheering:

Arielluria
10-09-2008, 10:00 AM
This will be a big help when I get what we call OMG stuck..LOL :)
Thank you so much, my friend on Ravelry guided me here.
Thank Ariel luria.:hug:
Hugz, reina (reinaknits)
:muah::hug:

couturehousewife
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi there!

I've been knitting for about a year now, and still on the same project! To my defense, it's a blanket the size of a king bed! Lol... ambitious i know!

I'm a homemaker here in sunny Los Angeles, and I'm looking forward to meeting and making new friends! Maybe even start a knitting group!

isahart
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
By way of intro:
Wife of 35 years, mother of 2 grown boys, teacher of 30+ years and am now on the verge of retiring. After years of educating others and completing my post-grade degree, I've taken up knitting again. I came across this site, looking for an easy sock pattern.
Foolishly, I got the itch to make my own socks after reading some sites and seeing what others have done. Never having made socks before, I thought I could handle the task and bought some yarn (no, that's not right - a lot of yarn ) through KnitPicks; joined a monthly sock club - BIG MISTAKE!
While I have been knitting on/off for over 30 years, I never used a chart. I have no clue what I'm doing. I got as far as turning the heel on a toe-up sock and now need help desperately. Good exercise for lace work as the holes I've created are pretty consistent! HELP!!!!

Madre
10-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi All,

I have been here at the site for quite sometime. Love to knit! It sort of keeps me sane. My DH says that the cure for a bad day is yarn therapy--he takes me to the yarn store. Hope to get to know some of you soon.

Hugs
Madre

Dianeadae
10-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi everyone, so glad I found this forum, even so late in life. I'm 61 and living on a country road with my semi-retired hubby of 65. We have many hobbies each, and sometimes even combine them, but not often. I have knit 8 pairs of socks so far, as the addiction bit me. But I want to graduate to something different - maybe an afghan for my dear old Mom of 81 who is now in a nursing home, unable to speak due to stroke. She is still a lot of fun though, and loves to see whatever creations I come up with.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

darnthisanarch
10-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Hello everyone, another newbie here.

I just started knitting earlier this week, and have finished my first project (a scarf in stockinette - I wish I knew how badly it was going to curl - with two red strips and a red heart) for my lovely girl friend.

I have a few skein's of yarn, and I'm looking for more projects. :)

I hope that I'll be communicating with some of you posters here in time, and we can share the joy of knitting.

-pope

Shandeh
10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
.....I got as far as turning the heel on a toe-up sock and now need help desperately.........HELP!!!!
There is a wonderful sock tutorial online, that was made by one of our moderators (Silver). I'm sure it will help!
(click links below)
Socks with 4 dpns (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)
Socks with 2 circulars (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm)
2 Socks at once on one large circular (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm)

crittergal
10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone!

I am so happy to have found this site! I have been knitting for many years. It keeps me sane! Knitting is my passion! Can't wait to get to know my fellow knitters.:woohoo:

Poustinia
10-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Great website! Great videos! I recommend it to anyone who I talks to me about knitting.

I started knitting again about a year and a half ago, after I hadn't knitted in 10 years, and intermittently before that. When I didn't know what a certain abbreviation meant, I looked on line to find out what to do. That is when I found this website. About 2 months ago I switched from english style knitting to continental and it is faster and easier, although more awkward to learn. I've got lots of projects which are just waiting to be knit.

:mrgreen: I love doing crafts. I've been crocheting since I was 6 yrs old. I learned to knit when I was 11. And I've been sewing by hand since I was about 7, and sewing on a machine since age 13. I've more skills in crochet and sewing and now am catching up in the knitting department.

Poustinia :knitting:

Knitter05988
10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I recently just got into knitting...my grandmother tried to teach me when I was about 10 years old...gave me a pair of needles and many balls of yarn. I only have just picked them up. I am making a scar! lol, anyway, thanks so much for this site, because, here I can ask all my questions like what iind of needles do I need for knitting certain things (hatts, socks, sweater etc.)

so thank you very much!

Knitter05988:woohoo: :cheering: :yay: :woot: :happydance: :thumbsup: :knitting:

sgtpam
10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Welcome......you've found the right place to ask all your big and little questions and share your secrets and accomplishments! Have fun

Shandeh
10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

cakemaven
10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Another knitting n00b here. I'm a 31yo mama from San Diego and decided to try knitting this weekend. As a cake decorator, I enjoy working with my hands and being creative, so knitting seemed like a perfect fit for a fun hobby for me. I'm alrerady hooked and loving it. I look forward to meeting you all!
Trish

SandyD
10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
I love the knitting help website and as a new (very new) knitter, I look forward to chatting with everyone. I took a beginning knitting class and now a class on knitting a child's sweater. I just finished the back of the sweater and will start the a front side tonight. I am still trying to decide if I want to take the next class which is socks--three needles! I am just getting used to two...LOL.

cburnum
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi there. I am brand new (today) to knittinghelp and found it because I started a knitting project after years of not doing anything. And of course the project I want to make is above my skill level...

It is pretty cool to see a site dedicated to knitting - I always get the "What are you 70 or something?" question from most people.

cburnum
10-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Can anyone tell me how to knit with multiple threads? I found an afgan pattern book that takes two threads for every pattern in it. I tried it last night and it is obviously not right, but I don't have any idea of how to do it better.

Thanks for any help!

Colette

Shandeh
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
It is pretty cool to see a site dedicated to knitting - I always get the "What are you 70 or something?" question from most people.
Yeah....those people are losers. They don't have the skill to knit like us, so they try to belittle us to make themselves feel better. :wink: KNITTERS ROCK!!! http://bestsmileys.com/music1/5.gif
Can anyone tell me how to knit with multiple threads?
All you have to do is hold both threads at the same time for every stitch. Knit or Purl both threads throughout. It makes a bulky fabric, and goes very quickly. Good luck!
:thumbsup:

pacih
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Amy-
I am an experienced knitter with some ongoing questions. i love the videos-especially the Magic Loop trick! Looking forward to getting some answers.

pacih

trgonzalez
10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I have used this site for a while but just signed up to use the forums! I am a beginner/intermediate self taught knitter and I would love to learn more! I am a mother of 1 8yr old son and a baby due in june! Lots of baby projects I want to learn!! TIA!

annofgreencables
10-16-2008, 01:51 AM
:knitting: Howdy to everyone. Just joined this site and I'm looking forward to using it frequently. I have a lot of free time just now and want to get started on Christmas projects for the family ..4 grown children and spouses/significant others and 10 grandkids. Better start sorting out stash and get busy!:muah:

Shandeh
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM

SueD
10-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi,
I am new to site and have spent the whole day looking around the site. I really like the friendly atmosphere and the speed with which folks reply!

I am self taught experienced knitter BUT I have never attempted a sock, never participated in a KAL, never knitted for charity and never never thought of cleaning out my stash. All of that I hope to accomplish with the help and support of this like-minded community.

Looking to learn and grow.

sgtpam
10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome........I see you've already noticed that this site is addictive! :woot:

Glad you found us...happy knitting:knitting:

NewKnittingMama
10-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm new to this forum and new to knitting (TODAY!!). I've got my continental knit down and am working on my purl. I needed something to take my mind off of things in my personal life, and so far, so good! I look forward to getting some great advice from some great knitters.

Matty
10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello everyone
I am Matty Ilike knitting and I want to learn different advanced techniques

Matty
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Could anyone teach me how to make seed stich witha decreasing in the middle/Please
thank you
Matty

LadyFirelyght
10-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Hi all! I'm 21 and a fairly new knitter (just started about a month and a half ago). I've finished a few square projects and now I'm working on my first fitted project: a sweater for my 24 month old niece Jorja. My 22 year old brother teases me constantly about my knitting, but I point out that my hobby (unlike his video games) is productive and he shuts up :D No sweater for him, I say!

I learned to knit courtesy of about.com and knittinghelp. I decided to check out the forum when I got stumped on my current project and found my answers quick and painlessly. I look forward to getting to know everyone :)

knitarose
10-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi I'm a new knitter live in Chicago just completed my first FO & think this site is great!
-knitarose

Shandeh
10-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! :hug:
Could anyone teach me how to make seed stich witha decreasing in the middle
Matty, you'll get lots of help if you post this in the "How To" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

susanfitz
10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi!! I love this site! I just had to join.

piratemel
10-20-2008, 03:18 PM
:knitting:
My name's Mel and I have been knitting for about two years now. I absolutely love knitting! My freinds make fun of me for it and say I'm old before my time, but I don't care, it just proves my hobbies are far more interesting and creative then there's are, lol. Ilove this site, it has helped me out so many times and if I can be of any help to anyone then feel free to ask, although I do warn you, I'm no expert, lol x x

cburnum
10-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks Shandeh!! I looked in every book I could find and couldn't get an answer! I will try that and now I hope I can make the pattern I really liked.

It is SO nice to know there are so many resources here on this site and from the people who post here.

Shandeh
10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm glad I could help cburnum! :hug:

Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :)

toymom
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
and saying hi! i learned how to knit and crochet in the past year and am trying to knit a hat now. nice to find this forum.

Whatsherface
10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi, fellow knitting people! I'm Sarah, I've been knitting for almost a year and a half, and I'm in the process of making my first sweater. (My grandma asked for one.) I'm a little worried that the sleeves are too long, but so far all the pieces are looking good.

dustinac
10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
:happydance: Welcome to KH everyone!:happydance:

sn0wwhite
10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
hello everyone!

this is my very first visit and first post.
i tried knitting a few times with my grandma when i was very young, but didn't have the patience to stick with it.

recently i've been inspired to learn so i can knit some gifts and hopefully a sweater for my dog.

i picked up a book and dvd at the library and got started with a slip knot, casting on and knit stitches.

it's going ok, but my stitches are really tight and my fingers are sore from pushing the needle through.

is correcting that as simple as just trying to be looser? i was thinking it was important to be even...

i will appreciate any and all advice!

elfdream
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello everyone...

I'm more of a crocheter than a knitter but have knitted on and off as a hobby for years. I'm afraid I never got past the scarf and afghan stage but lately my daughter has taken an interest so I thought it would be fun if we did this together. Right now she is perfecting the old stockinette stitch and I'm making trying to teach myself how to increase and decrease via baby sweaters. Its fun...I don't know why I didn't do this earlier!

We look forward to meeting the community and learning from the veterans among you.

Love the smilies...especially this one!:knitting:

dustinac
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
it's going ok, but my stitches are really tight and my fingers are sore from pushing the needle through.

is correcting that as simple as just trying to be looser? i was thinking it was important to be even...

i will appreciate any and all advice!

Welcome to the forum!! It could be where you are knitting to tight and becoming looser will come the more you get used to knitting. Although I sometimes run into that still, right now with a headband and pushing the sts are hurting my fingers. You can put a bandaid on that finger while you knit to help too :thumbsup:

gregmiller
10-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Newbie here. And i would love to learn more about knitting and making bead work.

dustinac
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone...

I'm more of a crocheter than a knitter but have knitted on and off as a hobby for years. I'm afraid I never got past the scarf and afghan stage but lately my daughter has taken an interest so I thought it would be fun if we did this together. Right now she is perfecting the old stockinette stitch and I'm making trying to teach myself how to increase and decrease via baby sweaters. Its fun...I don't know why I didn't do this earlier!

We look forward to meeting the community and learning from the veterans among you.

Love the smilies...especially this one!:knitting:

Welcome elfdream to the forum!! We also have a crochet section (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)(I'm trying to get the hang of that)...You two will be knitting up a storm before ya know it...and if you have any questions just ask in the fourms (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16):thumbsup:

dustinac
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Newbie here. And i would love to learn more about knitting and making bead work.

:happydance: Welcome to KH! You will find a lot of useful tools here, if you have any questions just ask!

haywardbookworm
10-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi,
I'm pretty new to knitting and just decided to join the fourm after using all the useful tools on the website.:cheering:

Charann102
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I came across this site when I googled how to sew seams together on a finished project. Wow! What a GREAT site. I'm sure I will be here often.

I am 59 years old and have been knitting for 50 years! My mom was a fantastic knitter but now deceased so I have no one to go to with my knitting questions. I am so thankful to have found you all in case questions come up.

I just finished knitting a Christmas stocking for our future son-in-law. This is the third stocking I've knit and I'm hooked! They are such fun. :-)

I'll be reading often from this site. Thanks again.

ageya40
10-23-2008, 09:02 AM
i need to find a dvd with abbrevation on it for knitting and crochet reading books does not help at all any help willl help i am just learning the craft
ageya

ageya40
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
i also have an hard time understanding the patterns i have to be watching to learn any dvd out their that will help me

SuesKnitNook
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
My name is Sue and I live in Ct...When I lived in northern Vermont many yrs ago I owned a yarn shop I called Sue's Knit Nook...after just a couple of yrs my husband was transferred to Ct and I had to give up the shop..I still love to knit and have been using up lots of wool yarns lately in making socks and also felted mittens.
I am sure I will enjoy this group...

Shandeh
10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
....it's going ok, but my stitches are really tight and my fingers are sore from pushing the needle through. is correcting that as simple as just trying to be looser? i was thinking it was important to be even...
I was a very tight knitter when I first started as well. I've learned to let the yarn FLOW instead of gripping it so tightly. Also, if you try different types of knitting needles, you'll find the right mix for your knitting style.

My knitting is much easier with metal needles, because it allows the yarn to slide easily. Wood needles tend to grip the yarn too much for me, and it makes my knitting much more difficult. Hang in there, and try different things until you find your personal preferences. :)

i need to find a dvd with abbrevation on it for knitting and crochet reading books does not help at all any help willl help i am just learning the craft
You'll find lots of free videos right here on our website, that will show you how to do several knitting techniques. You'll see a link to Amy's Knitting Dictionary with videos in my signature below. Good luck!

HelloToYou
10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm a 20 year old transfer college student currently attending the University of Oregon. I'm only half way through my first term there and I'm already working on transfering again. This time I plan on attending Northwest Christian University which is actually just next door to U of O. It just happens to be more willing to work with students and has a better education program. I'm looking at getting a teaching degree and going into early childhood special education.

As far as knitting is concerned, I knitted my first project sometime around July of last year. I started by knitting a pair of socks with worsted weight yarn. Since then I've knitted several hats, one scarf, a couple pairs of mittens, slippers, and I've started a blanket. I've also done some more creative projects such as the following stuffed animals: a frog, a platypus, a penguin, a turtle, a sheep, and a monkey. I often find that I'm not pleased with a pattern and end up modifying a lot of patterns. This could be anything as minor as changing a few stitches to completely ditching the patturn and re-writing it. I'm currently working on knitting a sheep. This is one example of when I was not pleased with a pattern. I didn't like it, so I only used it as a guide for how many stitches to cast on for certain parts. The penguin I knitted was rather exciting because it was my first stuffed animal and one of the first projects I did completely without a pattern. I knitted it a few months after I learned how to knit. Inventing and modifying is my favorite part of knitting. It's fun and kind of exciting! I can't imagine being one of those knitters who never ventured to modify or invent.

st.tropez
10-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I wanted to say hello as I'm new here. Registered a while ago but never seem to find enough time to post anything so I thought it was about time I did. I found this site as I was searching how to learn to knit continental style not expecting to find such a great site. This site is great and appreciate all the invaluable information posted here. Cheers!

sprig
10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
this is the first forum ive ever joined i'm really new to the whole concept, i wanted to join cause i have no friends that knit, and my husband gets bored with all my yarn chatter... ive been knitting for about 2 yrs i started after my daughter was born. ive been crocheting since i was 5... and i just love yarn crafts and id really love to talk to people who love it too ... :woohoo:

Shandeh
10-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! I think you'll like it here.
:hug:

bluegirl
10-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Hi all! I'm new here and also new to knitting. I am absolutely fascinated by knitting. I hope to improve my skills and produce some of the beautiful quality work that I see here on the site.

FroggedSweater
10-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I didn't even know there was a forum beyond the fantastic videos. So here I am, looking forward to joining this community and thanking the wonderful help this website provided me with over the years!

elainegr
10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Whew! i'm new 2 this Forum:yay: but not to Knitting :knitting: However, i'm still learning, because i started a new project (a huggable hedgehog for my grand-dtr) and i have never seen the abbrev: w&t -- wrap & turn. Even w/ the explanation, i'm confused. Is there a video on this site to show this technique, or can someone explain this 2 me? Thnx, Elaine

montanason
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I remember knitting a tube on two single point needles. Does anyone have this information? I know it involved knitting a stitch then slipping the next stitch. What do you do on the other side?

kellybigeyes
10-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Elainegr... Here is a video that I found on youtube. I have heard of w&t, but I have never done it. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki9uQZZMsGM)is a link to the video. I hope it helps you.

Shandeh
10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:

.........i started a new project (a huggable hedgehog for my grand-dtr) and i have never seen the abbrev: w&t -- wrap & turn..........Is there a video on this site to show this technique, or can someone explain this 2 me?
There is a video on our site that Amy made called "Short Row with Wrap". Scroll down on this page to see it:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques
I remember knitting a tube on two single point needles. Does anyone have this information? I know it involved knitting a stitch then slipping the next stitch. What do you do on the other side?
You MIGHT be remembering making i-cord on two DOUBLE pointed needles. To make i-cord, cast 3 or 4 stitches onto a double pointed needle, knit those stitches, then slide them to the other end of the needle, do NOT turn the knitting, and knit them again, bringing the yarn tight around before knitting. It makes a tiny tube of knitting that is great for cords or ties.
Amy has a video about i-cord on this page (scroll down until you see i-cord)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

leedee
10-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi! I just stmbled across the site while googling for two needle sock patterns. It's amazing I haven't seen much of it yet but will try to see much more and get back to you all I'm 79 and started knitting in 1939 I was taught by an elderly lady in my neighborhood the contonental method and although I have learned the American way am not comfortable with it {too slow.} I also love the circular needle for everything, But cannot find 0 1 2 in 16" cable.Maybe one of you knows a source.I am going to brouse this site and will be back,My mother always said," Got troubles? knit a 4x4 while mumbling you'er trouble then throw it away. love to all

Dutch
10-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Hello everyone! Awesome site! Been knitting and crocheting for about 5 years now. Started off by helping my wife figure out the patterns and took to it like a duck to water. I guess I got the gene from my grandmother who could knit anything without using a pattern. I would sit as a child and watch her churn out items one after the other. Something must have stuck!

KnittedRose
10-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi,
My user name her is Knitted Rose, I have been knitting for a little over 2 years now and I am helplessly and joyfully addicted. I would love to find a local knitting group, but what I've so far found has conflicted with my work schedule. I have one I can attend occasionally, I enjoy it when I go. I have a daughter and 2 grand daughters (ages 9 and 6) who knit, they live in WA. I taught DH to knit and he enjoys it. He is blind and has trouble increasing, decreasing and purling, he knits things that use the GS He has made some beautiful felted purses and felted marble bags for the GC. We spend many evenings knitting together.
I don't really have a local "knitting community" so I am glad to find this forum. Finally, a group of knitters that I can share experiences with and ask questions, or get some guidance when I am stuck on something. I am looking forward to being partof thi forum.
My current project is felted ballet style slippers from Beverly Glaskos book Felted Knits. I've never doe anything like them before, the 2nd slipper will probably be easier than the first, which has been a challenge. I need to get 2 pair done by Christmas. (actually a bit before Christmas because they have to be mailed.) I am also finishing up a felted Knitting needle case for my DD for Christmas.
I'm glad I found this forum. I'm looking forward to getting to know other knitters.
KR

KnittedRose
10-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi Dutch,
I am happy to see a man as part of this forum. My DH enjoys knitting as well. He helps me figure patterns out sometimes too, especially when math is involved! Welcome to the forum, I am a newbie too.
KR

beadpainter
10-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Just found this site. Looks like a great place. I taught myself to knit many years ago but stopped. When I retired I got back in the swing and have been a bit more adventureous (sp?).Look forward to using the forumn and the videos.

Shandeh
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :muah:

Thymedremr
10-28-2008, 01:08 AM
I have 4 children,7 grands, 1 DH, 1dog, and 2 cats. I am a former navy brat and a former army wife(divorced from that man) and remarried. My current DH has cancer and we both work full time as correctional officers. I spend a lot of time with DH at his appts. and hospitalizations.
My DD moved back home with us to get away from her abusive spouse. She brought with her DGS, 1 dog and 1 cat. My son is stationed in afghanistan and we are praying that his wife who just gave us our new DGS (2 weeks old) will not have to go over to Irag again at least until he comes home.
I have been knitting for 44 years. I love all of the needlearts. I also like to crochet, tat, make other forms of lace, weave, embroider, create other types of art(draw, paint, & sculpt). I also read, cook, and like to listen to world music, classical,and jazz.
Currently I have several WIPS on going, lace shawl called estonian potpourri, christmas ornaments, and 2 stitch-a-longs.

Jacqui
10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Amy my name is Jacqui,I am a New Zealander living in Kentucky,I have been knitting since I was a little girl. If there there is any knitter from Scottsville Kentucky area I would love to hear from you

Jacqui
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
And why does my photo not show up..mm back to the drawing board it seems..lol a very experienced knitter..but lacking in skills on a computer

Marria
10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Hi, I'm Mary. I discovered this site when I was looking around for some knitting videos. A friend of mine at work asked me to teach her to knit, and I wanted to find some videos to help her out. The short row video was very helpful to me too! I didn't realize how complicated I was making them.

Anyway, I started knitting about 10 years ago. I had a job where I travelled a lot and that was very high stress so I needed a hobby to help me relax. I thought it might be fun to join this community and to visit with fellow knitters that understand the obsessions. :teehee:

My husband gives me a hard time about my stash despite the stuff that he has art stuff all over the place (he paints).

Anyway, I look forward to "meeting" you all, and I'm sure I'll be posting questions for help on stuff too. :)

Jeremy
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Welcome to everyone.:hug: If you want to look for a knitter near you there is actually a forum with that name here.

Shandeh
10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
And why does my photo not show up..mm back to the drawing board it seems..lol a very experienced knitter..but lacking in skills on a computer
Hi Jacqui! :waving:

You probably uploaded a "profile photo", but you still need an "avatar". The avatar is what shows under your forum name here in the forum.

Go to the top right of this page, and click "Quick Links", then click "Edit Profile". When that page opens, look on the left side under "User Settings", and click "Edit Avatar". Then follow the directions on that page. Good luck! :thumbsup:

chrislgh
10-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi I'm Chris
And I a basic knitter havent tried anything other than basic scrafs and baby afghan and now I'm ready to ry other things.
But I really like that poncho for children. I have a 4 year old great niece and she loves the princess and the color Pink. And I think she'd look great in the Poncho but I can't get to the pattern. Can any one Help.
Chris

mirnat
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Hellow everyone. I've just discovered this site and can't believe I never came across it before. I'm sure I'll enjoy! I already have a question and now I'll try to find the correct thread to post it in!:cheering:

melmac51
10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Everyone! I just found out about y'all yesterday (on Crochetville.com), and thought I'd join up. Learned how to knit about 40 years ago, but only the basics. This seems like the perfect place to learn more. Can't wait to go exploring!

amyo
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi there...I found this site because although I've knit before, I'm expanding my horizons and am taking on new challenges. I have a knitting pattern that I need help with, and after googling knitting help, this site popped up.

I'm a stay at home mom of four children - Tim, 18; Maggie, 16; Will, 13; and Joseph, 10. You're wondering when I have time to knit?!? Well...I don't ever "have" time laying around, so I just make time!

Thanks again for the site - it will be one I visit often!

AndieB
10-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Hello all!
My name is Andie, and I am an American living in Tel Aviv Israel.
I am soooo glad to find this site.
I am not fluent in Hebrew so it is difficult for me to find a knitting group, patterns or help with my knitting disasters in English.

My current knitting goal is to actually finish a project, my kntting basket of unfinished work is almost full!

Take care and I hope to meet some of you soon!

nephnie
10-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi,

My name is Stephanie and i'm a new knitter. I've been knitting (mainly scarfs because everyone saw mine and wanted one) for a little over a year. (took me many years to find someone to teach me. I learn best by watching) I just started some handwarmers on DPNs. The vids and the forum helped a lot when i was getting started with that project. I love how helpful and NICE everyone is here.

Shandeh
10-30-2008, 10:11 PM
But I really like that poncho for children. I have a 4 year old great niece and she loves the princess and the color Pink. And I think she'd look great in the Poncho but I can't get to the pattern. Can any one Help.
Hi Chris! Which poncho are you referring to? There are LOTS of poncho patterns for children. You'll find some of them here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/ponchos.php

MrsP
10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi! Mine name is Amanda and I just started trying to knit (again!) My mom has tried several times to teach me, and I would knit a dish cloth or half a scarf and then leave it for a few years, but never really learned to finish anything. Until NOW!! I started reading the Knitting Mysteries by Maggie Sefton and I wanted to give it another try. Once I picked up my needles this time, I got addicted!! In the last 3 weeks I have made 4 scarves for Christmas and I made myself a shawl. It was a free pattern from lionbrand.com - the easy triangular shawl. I just finished my shawl last night and learned a VERY valuable lesson concerning dye lots!! I didn't know to check that when I bought the yarn, but I won't ever forget it!! I don't know how to post pics but you can see a definite line in my shawl. Grrr!

Anyway, I guess that is a bit more than a basic introduction!! Thanks for reading!
Amanda

Craw
11-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I've been crocheting since about 2003 but I only just learned to knit a couple of weeks ago. I'd been trying and trying to learn knitting for years and stumbled onto this site's videos and a couple on YouTube and suddenly I learned to knit and purl. :woot: I :heart: crochet but a knitted fabric was so different and pretty so I had to learn. Just think, now I will have UFOs in both knitting and crochet. :mrgreen: Looking forward to learning everything I can. I'm pretty slow at knitting but practice will make me a little faster. My first project is a scarf and I'm squeezing it in between my many crochet projects. I don't care if it takes months to complete, I just want to be able to say I did it! :woohoo:

carolval
11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Amy,
Just joined. I'm a knitwear designer, writer, teacher and enjoy all sorts of textiles. Just thought it would be interesting to join a group and see what everyone is knitting/wants to knit etc...

Goby
11-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hello everybody, Im a new member, my name is Goby, Im from Mexico, and I need help with some instructions I read on a magazine, it says- Knit into front and back of every stitch... Im really having trouble with this, can anybody explain what is the action I should follow? Thanks a lot

Goby

CA1972
11-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello all,
I am Christine from Indiana. I have been needle knitting for a few months now, and I also loom knit. Loom knitting is actually easier than needle knitting for me right now....lol.
I am working on a shawl for myself right now, using Caron Simply Soft yarn in 5 different colors, and is turning out awesome. I am only doing the knit instead of purls right now cause they are easiest.
Of course, I am now wanting to tackle DPN's, which i have a sz 0 and sz 1 harmony wood(6 needles) from knitpicks, along with 2 of their circulars. I love these needles, and the price is right.
I am a member of a site called ravelry(love this site) and I am looking for the easiest sock pattern that is made without heels(includes a spiraling effect to fit perfect). I am wanting to make sock for myself 1st til I get them perfected, to be able to make socks for everyone else.
Baking and cooking are 2 of my other fav hobbies. but that is for another time. Thank you so much for allowing me to join. I know I am in one of the right places if I need help(need a lot of that too...lol)
Christine

Jeremy
11-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi Goby. There is a video in the video section for this under the increase category. Welcome to the forum.:hug:
Hello everybody, Im a new member, my name is Goby, Im from Mexico, and I need help with some instructions I read on a magazine, it says- Knit into front and back of every stitch... Im really having trouble with this, can anybody explain what is the action I should follow? Thanks a lot

Goby

Jeremy
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:hug:

Shandeh
11-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't know how to post pics but you can see a definite line in my shawl. Grrr!
Hi Amanda! :waving: There are directions for posting photos in the link in my signature below. Follow that, and you should be able to post photos here very soon! Looking forward to seeing your knitted creations!
Just joined. I'm a knitwear designer, writer, teacher and enjoy all sorts of textiles. Just thought it would be interesting to join a group and see what everyone is knitting/wants to knit etc...
Welcome Carol! :hug:
I need help with some instructions I read on a magazine, it says- Knit into front and back of every stitch.
Hi Goby! :)
To knit in the front and back of the stitch, just do exactly as it says. Knit in the front of the stitch as usual, then BEFORE you slip the stitch to the other needle, knit in the back of it as well. You'll find a video about it on our website. Just click "videos" at the top of this page, and look under "increases".
I am looking for the easiest sock pattern that is made without heels(includes a spiraling effect to fit perfect).
Hi Christine! You should look for a "tube sock" pattern, if you want to make one without heels.

Here's some I found online: http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/womenspatterns.html#SpiralBedsocks
http://www.soxie.com/spirals.html

And there are lots of free sock patterns here:
http://www.knittychick.com/free_sock_patterns.htm
and here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/socks.php

szelda64
11-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi,
My name is Roberta and I am new to the knitting community. I would like to know where to find the supplies necessary for knitting newbies.

Thanks! ;)

solangecristiny
11-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Hello, my name is Solange Cristiny, live in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I love knitting. It is one of the best things in life.

Mar51Day
11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi,
I'm Mar51Day aka Marilyn Dayen, I live in Ephrata WA USA. I took up knitting when I quit smoking, and now I'm addicted to that instead. I'm trying to knit a pull-over crew-neck sweater for my husband. I'm having a difficult start. I don't know why, because I've knitted sweaters for me with no problem. Must be a mental block or something.
My question(s) is/are: The largest chest size for men that I see is 44". My husband is 6' tall, and has a size 47-1/2" chest.
1)I've figured out how to add inches for the chest measurement, but do I need to adjust the increase stitches also?
2) And when it comes to knitting the raglan sleeve and crew neck, are there adjustments necessary for that? If so, how do make those adjustments?
(Sorry this is so long, I don't know how to abbreviate yet :aww:)
I really like this website it's ingenious. Thank you in advance.

Vik
11-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello there. What a great site. Everything's here including video instructionals which I NEED to develop my skills.

I picked up knitting again recently as I am about to go into surgery and a long recovery soon--tomorrow morning, actually. :pout:

One of my goals is to learn to make sweaters, (I'm not nearly ready to do this yet) and to hopefully find a way to make a pattern FROM a sweater I have--my favorite sweater is getting OLD.

See you around!

IM4EVERGOOD2U
11-02-2008, 11:16 PM
HELLO EVERYONE,

I AM BRAND NEW TO THE KNITTING WORLD AND I CAME ACROSS THIS SITE WHILE SEARCHING FOR SOME VIDEOS FOR INSTRUCTION. I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS SITE AND I WOULD LOVE TO THANK YOU FOR IT. I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH ALREADY. I AM 4 1/2 MONTHS PREGNANT AND I WANTED TO LEARN HOW TO KNIT SO THAT I CAN MAKE MY BABY A BLANKET. I LOOK FORWARD TO KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH OTHERS AND ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU!

MILLIE

Shandeh
11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I would like to know where to find the supplies necessary for knitting newbies.
Hi Roberta! Check to see if there is a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's or AC Moore in your area. They have lots of knitting supplies. You can also find some essentials at Walmart. Good luck!
I'm trying to knit a pull-over crew-neck sweater for my husband.........My question(s) is/are: The largest chest size for men that I see is 44". My husband is 6' tall, and has a size 47-1/2" chest.
Your best bet will be to use plus-size patterns. Look for the link in my signature below to a website I made with links to plus-size patterns. Here is a basic pattern for making a plus-size sweater: Incredible, Custom-Fit Raglan (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html)
I picked up knitting again recently as I am about to go into surgery and a long recovery soon--tomorrow morning, actually. :pout:
Good luck with your surgery! :pray:

ksinc33
11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi all.
I have been crocheting for more years than I want to admit. I am
new to knitting. I have just started working on the art. It is good
to know that there is a place to ask questions when needed. I have
one son who will turn 21 this month. My husband died 4 years ago and we have 2 cats (they always come first) and a dog. We are
currently working two jobs to pay the bills and still be able to fix the
car and trailer. Our lives are a little short on time right now.
Glad to have found the group.

ksinc33 :muah:

quiltnut
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
New memeber which has used you r site alot but hadn't taken the time to join. I'm sure that I will get a lot more out of the site that I could ever get back. Keep up the good work.

snowpikachu
11-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks Amy!!
Hello I am new to this site. I started knitting about a year ago and i stopped because school started. So now im thinking of learning new things and restarting.

GMantownMom
11-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Hello All, I'm Danita, 35, married, mother of 3 girls. I am currently a SAHM and looking for a hobby to pick up. I have always liked different kinds of crafts since I was younger. I tried knitting when I was about 14. That was my only attempt. So I am a total beginner. I saw the demo for casting on and it came back to me a little bit. I wanted to try something extremely simple maybe a scarf...but I have no idea what I am looking at as far as the patterns are concerned. So any help would be great. Thanks for the "Welcome" :-)

IM4EVERGOOD2U
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Hello All, I'm Danita, 35, married, mother of 3 girls. I am currently a SAHM and looking for a hobby to pick up. I have always liked different kinds of crafts since I was younger. I tried knitting when I was about 14. That was my only attempt. So I am a total beginner. I saw the demo for casting on and it came back to me a little bit. I wanted to try something extremely simple maybe a scarf...but I have no idea what I am looking at as far as the patterns are concerned. So any help would be great. Thanks for the "Welcome" :-)

The best help i can offer you is that if you are having trouble with the lingo used in the patterns, you can always refer to the glossary on this site. If there is a technique you aren't familiar with there are also some great videos that explain them very well. Don't know if i was of any help, I'm a newbie myself. :teehee:

If i can help in any other way just ask....

Good Luck,
Millie :knitting:

Shandeh
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Welcome new KHers! :hug:

Danita, if you want a scarf pattern to start with, here are some options:
Scrunchable Scarf (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm)
Beginner's Scarves (http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_beginners_scarves.html)

Also, I have found lots of other patterns that are good for beginners. Just read about it here on my blog: Easy Knitting Patterns for Beginning Knitters (http://shandehknitting.blogspot.com/2008/06/easy-knitting-patterns-for-beginning.html)

elfree
11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm knitting again after a long time away. Some things I need to relearn. Most things I remember. I've already done several pairs of sox which is what got me restarted. I joined this group to get an answer to an abreviation in a knitting pattern. w&t

I think it means wrap and turn but I'm not sure. It happens mid row. If it is wrap and turn, how do I do it?

IM4EVERGOOD2U
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm knitting again after a long time away. Some things I need to relearn. Most things I remember. I've already done several pairs of sox which is what got me restarted. I joined this group to get an answer to an abreviation in a knitting pattern. w&t

I think it means wrap and turn but I'm not sure. It happens mid row. If it is wrap and turn, how do I do it?

Hi,

It does stand for wrap and turn and this is how you would do it in the middle of a row:

W&T = Wrap and turn; knit to the point where the pattern says to turn. Bring your yarn to the front of the work, slip the next stitch from the left hand needle, take your yarn to the back of the work, Slip the stitch back to the left hand needle. Turn your work and place the yarn at the back of your work before knitting to the beginning of the row.

I hope this answered your question. Good luck and enjoy!

Millie :knitting:

newknitter23
11-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I am so glad to find this site. I'v been knitting for about a year and a half, so this site will be great help. My sister and I tought ourselves from a book a couple summers ago, and fell in love with knitting. We have no one to go to with questions here, so this site will be a big help. I have only knitted hats and scarfs so far, so intimidated by the sweater projects. I have two little girls, my oldest is almost two and my youngest is five weeks...Im a very busy mom. I wish I had more time to knit for my girls, but that will happen someday. I have other neglected hobbies as well, I love photography and my kids are my photo victims. I really enjoy Macro photography too. Im a student, working on my associates degree STILL! Not so easy with two small children. Okay thats a better introduction.. thanks for reading.

Knittenhappy
11-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Hello... what a wonderful site! My name is Priscilla. I am 45 yrs old and have been knitting on and off since 5th grade with some of my friends during school recess... I think I am the only remaining knitter of the group. Hoping to continue knitting for years to come. Thanks for having me in your group.

MrsP
11-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi! Thanks for the directions on how to post the pictures! Here is a picture of my daughter modeling the shawl I made! If you look, you can see the line where I changed yarn. My mom said that I shouldn't worry about it and just act like I did it two tone on purpose and most people won't notice anyway. But, I notice!!!!

I do like the shawl though and it is so nice and warm! It is the first project I have ever made for myself. Everything else I do ends up being a gift!

Thanks! Amanda

klymyshyn
11-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm new to this site but NOT to knitting! I am a freelance knit designer currently working on my 12th project for the same vendor. (maybe they like my work)
I have a question: I am working on my first book query about knitting in the round and am trying to figure out where folks got the 2 needle double knitting lesson...? Please help!

klymyshyn
11-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I think this could be fixed by pretending it's on purpose: by running a red strip embroidered into the sts. where the color changes!

klymyshyn
11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes, it is a wrap, turn -- when the heel turns you will then perform a pick up in that wrap so there will be no eyelet holes in the heel.

sgardner
11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
hi,
I'm a relatively new knitter (3 years more or less) -- I could use help in a number of areas -- for instance, how to read a pattern -- not just how to interpret the symbols (i.e., Ki, P2) -- so that I can actually follow the pattern to its conclusion.
Then there's how to pick up dropped stitches without ripping, etc.
thanks!
SGardner
2gardner@hvi.net

angelbytheocean
11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
First I need to thank my sister in law for sending me a link to this site.
Last year we taught each other how to knitt by working from one of Debbie Bliss's books Knitting for Babies. We loved it! We were so excited....we officially became knitters after long hours and days of knitting rows and rows of nothing and pulling them out to start over again!

We also learned how to use the circular needles by making a simple pattern for hats we donated for cancer patients in our local community. I knitted so hard during the month of October. Cancer awarness month. It felt good knowing that 31 hats would keep 31 heads warm and possibly warm the hearts of people how had to under go chemo treatments.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer in 2007. Sadly, He died this year. But I still knitted my hats for this cause. I never label the hats, but in my heart I know I helped many.

I am excited to learn more about knitting. I have only made hats, scarfs and a little purse. So I look forward to starting a sweater! I am a mom, a daughter, a sister, and a best friend. I believe in many things! I am a published writer, Photographer...I love to paint, draw and have a new love for knitting.

Thank you all for reading my introduction post

grammiesusan
11-06-2008, 12:24 AM
absolutely fantastic website. i am specifically interested in felting patterns and hope to find several, especially a felted flower. also will be great to have someone to ask when i have pattern problems.....i especially have problems picking the correct yarn.....thanks from grammiesusan in colorado

Shandeh
11-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Here is a picture of my daughter modeling the shawl I made! If you look, you can see the line where I changed yarn. My mom said that I shouldn't worry about it and just act like I did it two tone on purpose and most people won't notice anyway. But, I notice!!!!
I think it's beautiful just as it is! :thumbsup:
I have a question: I am working on my first book query about knitting in the round and am trying to figure out where folks got the 2 needle double knitting lesson...? Please help!
Amy describes a project with that technique on our website here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/patterns/free-knitting-patterns-heart-double-knit-hot-pad)
.......We also learned how to use the circular needles by making a simple pattern for hats we donated for cancer patients in our local community.
So sorry about your father's passing. :pout:
You might want to look at our Charity Knitting section, and join in on some of our projects. :heart:
.......i am specifically interested in felting patterns and hope to find several, especially a felted flower.
Here are some felting patterns for you!
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/felted_items.php
And here are some flowers:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/flowers.php

NanaMarty
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
My daughter told me about this site and I finally got registered correctly. I learned to knit a couple of years ago, but have only had time for a limited number of projects so still consider myself an "intermediate beginner."

I have one husband, two fabulously talented daughters, and two adorable grandchildren. While we miss our home state of LA, we currently live in the great state of GA (Atlanta area) and love to see the color show this time of year.

I have a question about a pattern instruction regarding shaping a sweater sleeve. It says to "increase 1 stitch each edge now and every 4th row". How do I do that? I "throw" the yarn.

NanaMarty

scuezme
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to jump in to say "Hi". My name is Trisha and live about an half hour from New Orleans. My Dh and I both work at the Sheriffs office. He is on the road & I'm in the jail. I would LOVE to work the road, but DH is worried about me. I personally feel like I'm in just the same amt of danger in the jail. Especially since one of the females who is there for murder doesn't care for me. Anyway it's a different world behind those bars.

I'm new to knitting and teaching myself. This site has helped me A LOT!! I've been crocheting all my life. My mom has made like a million afgans. Knitting & my ipod has help me unwind when I come home from work. I've even brought my knitting to work. But DH doesn't like it when I do. He says it's not professional and not good to see. I'm the first person you see when you come in. I work next to the supervisor & process, book, fingerprint when others are busy. Etc. Plus I'm the only female on the shift, I tend to stand out. But my supervisor & coworkers have no problem with me bring my small statch. The guys are all asking for black hats. To go with our uniforms. A difficult task but I'm going to try.

Please bare with me. I work shift work & 12 hours at a time. I may not have time to post often :knitting:

moomerknit
11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm new to this forum. I've been knitting simple things such as scarves and hats for quite awhile now, but with a our first baby on the way, I've decided to broaden my horizons with an actual outfit! So I will definitely need help with some things within the pattern I am working on. After awhile, all those abbreviations can be a bit confusing for me.

Our baby is due Feb 6, 2009, so hopefully, I can stay on task.

I look forward to hearing from you!

"moomerknit."

IM4EVERGOOD2U
11-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Hello Moomerknit,

Welcome! Congratualtions! I am also expecting my first baby. I am due April 7, 2009. Hope all is well with you. Good luck and happy knitting.

Millie

Shandeh
11-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :muah:

I have a question about a pattern instruction regarding shaping a sweater sleeve. It says to "increase 1 stitch each edge now and every 4th row". How do I do that? I "throw" the yarn. NanaMarty
NanaMarty, I'll copy your question to the "How To" section, so you'll get some answers. :)

sgardner
11-07-2008, 12:23 AM
hi,
I'm brand-new to the group and a relatively new knitter (about 3 years or so). I would love help with several things. One -- how to read a pattern -- not just deciphering the abbreviations, etc. Another is-- how to fix a dropped stitch without ripping.
thanks!
SGardner

SLP
11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Hello, I'm Steven and I'm a completely new knitter I have gotten as far as knowing how to tie a slip not, my knit stitches don't look right at all, even after viewing several videos, I'm still hangin in there, glad to be a member here. ... :)

Jan in CA
11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!

If you have questions please check the different forums we have so you can get better and quicker answers. :thumbsup:

DQ
11-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Hello, I'm Steven and I'm a completely new knitter I have gotten as far as knowing how to tie a slip not, my knit stitches don't look right at all, even after viewing several videos, I'm still hangin in there, glad to be a member here. ... :)

Welcome Steven!

Which method have you tried for knitting (English or Continental)? If one isn't working out you could always try the other and see if it 'clicks' better for you :)

SLP
11-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Welcome Steven!

Which method have you tried for knitting (English or Continental)? If one isn't working out you could always try the other and see if it 'clicks' better for you :)

Thank you. :hiding:
I am using continental, but I am still stuck on CO bit, somehow I believe the yarn I'm using is too cheap and thin, and is harder for a beginner. I'm going to try a thicker yarn today hopefully will make it easier. Seeing what people on here can do knitting is quite amazing and motivating. :)

DQ
11-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you. :hiding:
I am using continental, but I am still stuck on CO bit, somehow I believe the yarn I'm using is too cheap and thin, and is harder for a beginner. I'm going to try a thicker yarn today hopefully will make it easier. Seeing what people on here can do knitting is quite amazing and motivating. :)

Thicker yarn might be more forgiving yes :)

Cheryl1973
11-08-2008, 08:45 PM
:X: :knitting: I enjoy knitting for myself and for charity, and have several projects in the works. Most recently joined the Oddball Baby Blanket group. I look forward to learning more techniques and tips from this forum.

milly
11-08-2008, 08:57 PM
I have not been a part of a forum before. I am shy about this.

Shandeh
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome everyone! We are glad you joined us!

ZoeCraft
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi, I am glad to find this forum!
My mom was a fantastic knitter, but i paid no attention when she tried to teach me as a kid...
So now, years later she had a stroke and i thought some knitting may give her something to do with her hands, and who knows. stimulate some memories. Well, unfortunately it did not work for her, but in the process i got hooked myself.
I am a beginner, and having fun, there are little pratice pieces all over the place.
Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

knitngorose
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone,
I enjoy this site and the new friends and knitters who have welcomed me. Thanks so much for the warm welcome and extended friendships I have now received. I really do feel at home. Oops! I forgot to tell you, my name is Rose and I always wanted to learn how to knit, but didn't have the time, talent or resources to pursue my goal. Thankfully, I came across this website(to my joyful surprise!) and began to watch the cast-on knitting video, which really helped me get started. I have just learned to cast on (single cast on) and I'm still working on the double cast-on but haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Once again, thanks for the warm welcome and knitting advice.
Sincerely,
knitngorose

thorvonclemson
11-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Zach. I am 24 and I live in Big Lake MN. My wife and I are expecting the birth of our first child (a girl) basically any day now.. :woohoo: It is pretty exciting.

I got this crazy idea in my head today while shopping with my wife for christmas presents (also trying to get the baby to come faster by walking around a lot). My idea is to try and learn how to knit; I am hoping to learn to knit hats, mittens, and possibly scarves by Christmas. Perhaps it seems like a lot but I know my wife likes these kinds of things and it seems like it will be a good idea even if all I can do is something simple.

Maybe it makes me seem like kind of a sissy but oh well... I really think she will like it and I have a decent amount of free time when I am not at work. May as well do something productive right? Plus my wife works nights a few days per week so I can do this while she is gone so she won't find out.

I am a complete beginner to this sort of thing. I am going to look around on this forum for tips on where to start/what to do but if anyone can suggest anything I'd like to hear it. I am generally very good at building things with my hands. I am not looking to become the world's greatest knitter by any means but I think it'd be really cool if I could make something for my wife and daughter.

I can't play hockey (or sports in general) much more due to several injuries so I'd like to find something to do that uses my brain/hands more than back. This sounds like a lot of fun!:thumbsup:

RedMeryl
11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello all!

I'm not necessarily new to knitting, my grandmother taught be when I was little, but I've always had issues knitting (I was never good at casting on, I always forgot how) and then a friend told me about this site and I am so happy!!!

I am a big crafter, I mainly make chainmaille, which a friend of mine once called "manly knitting" though I make jewelry, but I also needle tat, crochet (a little) sew (a lot-I have a degree in theatre, focusing on makeup and costume) and I also model for my boyfriend, who is an amateur photographer.

I am so glad to find this site!
thankyou so much!

fudge
11-09-2008, 05:23 PM
hi everyone. I just found out about this site and am very excited about it. I have done some basic knitting since I was a little girl. But I still don't know much about it. My mother always told me how many stitches and so on. I have no idea how to adjust amount of stitches in patterns for different yarns and sizes. Always looking for help with that. Since I am new to the site I will tell you that I live in Northern Minnesota. I have 3 grown children and 7 grands with number 8 on the way. I look forward to hearing from everyone and say a huge thankyou for this site.

cfaustino
11-09-2008, 11:17 PM
What a wonderful site! I used to knit about 10 years ago, but my roommate at the time was an expert knitter that I could go to at any time for help. Since then, I stopped knitting b/c I found it too hard to decipher patterns with just pictoral and text instructions. But, this site is like having a knitting teacher around - THANKS!:thumbsup:

TEMA
11-09-2008, 11:17 PM
[/COLOR]
Hi Everyone,
I'm TEMA and I love to knit. I've just rediscovered knitting after about a 20 year draught and am thrilled to be back in it.
I used to knit those big Indian sweaters and did about 20 for family and friends, even did two for my brother and his wife as wedding presents when they got married.
In between, I've been a quilter, acrylic painter, a fabric artist. I tried my hand a wood carving... until I almost sliced my thumb off - that kind of took the wind out of my sails and I looked around for something else to do.
I'm also a collector... of buttons, old colourful table cloths, tiny animal ornaments and rocks that I paint.
I'm 63 and I stay home a lot these days... thank goodness for knitting.
TEMA:knitting:

KnerdKnitter
11-10-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm knitting a baby wardrobe for my best friend and since I've moved rather far away from my mother (the only person I know who can knit) this site will save me lots of money on phone bills :D

Shandeh
11-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Welcome to our friendly forum! :hug:
I think you'll like it here.

.........I am hoping to learn to knit hats, mittens, and possibly scarves by Christmas. Perhaps it seems like a lot but I know my wife likes these kinds of things and it seems like it will be a good idea even if all I can do is something simple. Maybe it makes me seem like kind of a sissy but oh well...
Hi Zach! You're not sissy at all. We have several male knitters in our forum, and their knitting is wonderful! I think it's great that you want to make some nice things for your new family. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

DobeMom616
11-10-2008, 10:23 AM
This looks like a great site. I happened upon it while searching for a pattern for a swing coat/jacket. Plan to visit often. I have been knitting for, I guess, about 10 years or so. I love dog shows and competing, reading and knitting.

Megrose489
11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi. I live in England and have just taken up knitting again after about 30 years. So this site will be so useful, I'm sure. I'm also trying to teach myself to crochet.

catznyarn
11-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I have used this site for the past year, but had no idea until today that you could post messages. Cool! I have been knitting for the past 3 years after 20+ years of crocheting. I way prefer knitting to crocheting.

I live in Oklahoma and the weather is starting to get colder which is perfect for knitting. (I hope I am doing this right. If you see it, then I did!)

catznyarn
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh, by-the-way, I am in Ravelry under the name of bayareaforever. I really like Ravelry, too.

sgtpam
11-10-2008, 05:25 PM
welcome, Milly...this is the first forum for a lot of us. We were just waiting for the right fit before we jumped in. This is definitely the right one...don't hesitate to ask questions......there's a lot of smart knitting cookies here!

Jeremy
11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone!

Arielluria
11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
:waving:Welcome all! It's so nice to get new blood into KH! It's an awesome community!:woot:

thekaki
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow! This is fun! Can't wait to see all the video's. 30 years ago I made afghans for 4 family members and then dropped my needles and never picked them up again... until two years ago at Christmas my sister gave me some ribbon yarn and a pattern and some needles and I thought it was the worst Christmas present ever. I ended up making a shawl instead of the sleeveless pull-over she recommended and I got hooked - made several little things, an ugly sweater, then a pretty sweater and some hats. Now OTN - forest green wool cardigan. Can't wait to finish. This is really looking good. My best work so far. Hope to hear what everyone else is doing.
thekaki

Mpastry
11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
This site is a God send. Thank you so much for the reply.
I used to knit as a child, making simple things like scarves and blankets. A year ago, I completed my first turtleneck.. Yeah!
Now, I can't stop knitting. I am trying to infect all my friends with the knitting bug!!!

Shandeh
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
We are ALL knitting addicts here, so you'll fit right in!
Welcome everyone! :muah:

TedAndAmy
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello, I am Kate, I live in England and am a relative beginner :)

I'm currently trying to knit a blanket for a friend's baby who is due in January! :woohoo:

Oh, my username is the name of my two feline knitting helpers/destroyers ;)

novata77
11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I am a novice selft-taught knitter, and found this site so useful to learn how to knit, in particular the videos.

Thank you very much for the information you provide!

Queenofda702
11-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi! My name is Val and Im a SUPER beginner! I am in the middle of my very first project, a scarf! I've learned everything I know from this website and now Im happy to be a part of the forum:woot:

Shandeh
11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the KH forum!
We're glad to have you join us. :hug:

lesizmor58
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi knitting world, I am a brand new knitter and a left handed one to boot! For years I have been surrounded by knitters who were unable to teach me. I felt frustrated and soon gave up. Maybe left handed people were not meant to knit. Recently my sister-in-law who lives in the states came to visit me in Israel. She has been knitting for years and I have never seen her without her supplies. I asked to see what she was knitting and again, the old frustration of being left handed and unable to knit surfaced. My dear sister-in -aw offered to teach me but all too soon our time together had ended and she had to leave. After her departure I went to my computer and Googled " learn how to knit videos," Guess what I found? Your site is so amazing and the videos are so helpful. I have already learned how to "cast on" Now I have to learn what to do next. I am sure that there is a video to help me with that too. Looking forward to joining the millions who love to knit and be apart of this newfound creative world. Thanks, Leslie

LauraReaux
11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey, everyone! (or whoever actually reads intro posts lol)

I'm braaaaand new at knitting. Just bought my first needles and yarn yesterday! Sooo I'm still practicing a cast-on and knit stitch.

Hopefully I can catch on fairly quickly. ;)

Laura

Arielluria
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
WELCOME! Just watch videos and be fearless, knitting is easy! :hug:

jland1963
11-13-2008, 10:40 PM
hello yarn lover,

Do you think you could help me?

Shandeh
11-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi knitting world, I am a brand new knitter and a left handed one to boot!
Hi Leslie!

Here are some websites created just for left-handed knitters. Good luck with your knitting!

http://leftoutknitter.com/left-handed_knitting_style.php
http://www.knittingleft.com/

ucmonikaknit
11-14-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm better with knitting. I looked for a link to introduce myself and don't see it. Also, I'm reading about blog. Do you pay for that, where do you go to set up a blog site?

ucmonikaknit

ShaStafford
11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Sha

terrivasofsky
11-14-2008, 04:32 PM
After making several sweaters for my dogs, am now trying my hand to making a sweater for my grandson. My question is how do you match the stripes on the sleeve to the stripes on the body...

Thanks for any hints...my knitting teacher explained it to me but i think i missed something...

tbird
11-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Awesome website! I began knitting again a year ago (first learned in Girl Scouts; am now 53). There are so many neat patterns I didn't feel comfortable tackling till I happened on this website. This is by far the best! :woohoo: The books I've purchased are good but this site is where I'll spend most of my time! Yea!!!!! Thank you so much.

Mommaof5
11-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Hello, everyone! I've picked up my knitting again, and I'm excited to have found this site!

Shandeh
11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! :muah:
I looked for a link to introduce myself and don't see it. Also, I'm reading about blog. Do you pay for that, where do you go to set up a blog site? ucmonikaknit
Hi ucmonikaknit! You just introduced yourself in the right place. :thumbsup:

What kind of blog are you referring to? We have discussion threads here in the forum under "Blogs" on the main page. Those are free, and you can make your own thread there to talk about yourself and your knitting. But, most people prefer to just post their discussions in "General Knitting" or "Whatcha Knitting".

If you are referring to an offsite blog, where you have your own webpage for your personal stuff, you'll find several free blogsites available on the internet.
I use Blogger (www.blogger.com (http://www.blogger.com))

My question is how do you match the stripes on the sleeve to the stripes on the body...

Hi terrivasofsky! I'll copy your question to the "How To" section of the forum, so you'll get some answers there.

laliloo
11-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Just popping in to say hello and give a round of applause for this fantastic website. So incredibly useful to be able to see such clear videos showing all the knitting basics and so much more.

I'm a complete beginner - I just bought yarn and needles two days ago. My Nan was a superb, self-taught knitter but I was silly enough to not really be interested when she taught me stuff as a child. I've already learnt to cast on, knit, purl and make a start with the basic patterns, although there have been a lot of restarts, due to ribbing suddenly becoming back to front and holes appearing! oops. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, once I learn to count to two and keep track!

I'm in the UK by the way - anyone else around these parts?

Nic

knit77chick
11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
This looks like a good site to get help with knitting. Hello everyone. I have been knitting for about three years. I have mostly been knitting scarves, hats, and dishcloths. I am a visual learner and sometimes have a hard time just reading a pattern.

Shandeh
11-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Welcome! :hug:

I'm in the UK by the way - anyone else around these parts? Nic
Nic, you'll find some UK knitters in the "Knitters Knear You" section of the forum.

JuneAi
11-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Hello everyone nice to meet you
i just started to learn knitting few days back
i found this site so useful and hope can meet friends here who can help me in knitting
thank you so much!

KnittingNat
11-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Hello everyone nice to meet you
i just started to learn knitting few days back
i found this site so useful and hope can meet friends here who can help me in knitting
thank you so much!
Welcome!:hug:

foghorn24
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi everyone,
I stumbled upon your site this morning looking for a little info, thought I'd register. This is awsome!!!!! I started my own sewing company last year. I am making a few winter coats right now and needed to buy some knitted cuffs. Well, the ones I found were so expensive, (orderd them anyway) I just so happened to go upstairs in my old sewing room closet looking for a piece of material I needed, and found my knitting bag!!! As a thought came to my mind, (why couldn't I knit my own cuffs???) So last week I sat down with my needles that were twenty years old, to practice. Well needless to say my sweater will be finished today. Only my last cuff is left!!! But boy oh boy what a person can forget in 20 years. Where was this internet thing when I was in the sixth grade learning to knit? How lucky we are now, huh? My problem is trying to figure out what things mean on the patterns. I guess I am getting old or just can't remember how to read them. But what I want to say is, it will be nice to just ask you all if I have a question, even if to you it may sound so simple. So thanks for being here. Terry

feltingfeign
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I am tired of knitting scarves and afghans and would
like to get more into knitting something just a little bit
harder....only a little bit harder.

I need to learn how to M1L and M1R.

If this is the wrong area in which to ask, please direct me
to the correct area.

I am very happy to have found this group.

thank you

Shandeh
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I am tired of knitting scarves and afghans and would like to get more into knitting something just a little bit harder....only a little bit harder.

I need to learn how to M1L and M1R.
Hi there, feltingfeign. :waving:

The easiest thing to learn after knitting squares is to make a hat. There are patterns for two needles, and patterns for knitting on circular needles and dpns.

Basic 2-needle Hat (http://cyberseams.com/article/105343/all_things_knitting/adult_loose_winter_cap_pattern_for_straight_needle s.html)
Another 2-needle Hat (http://www.knitlist.com/95gift/simphat.htm)
Roll-Brim Circular Knitting Hat (http://www.knitpicks.com/Easy%20Peasy%20Hat%20Pattern_PD50694220.html)
Basic Circular Knitting Hat (http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_beginners_hat.html)

If you want to learn M1L and M1R, just look at the "increases" section of Amy's videos on our website. (at the top of this page)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Dreamom
11-16-2008, 03:28 PM
So... I'm new here... Actually my RL friend, Songbirdy recommended this sight for the videos, and the forum for the chat. She has recently 'taught' me how to knit. Not from scratch - my childhood/adolescence is littered with unfinished, unrecognizable projects. I switched to crochet - which I still haven't done a lot.

Right now my WIP is woolies for my 1yo ds. I am thrilled to pieces. My stitches are relatively even, and you can tell that I am making something useful!

I am really looking forward to getting to know you guys... :woot:

sasa
11-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Hello I am new to knitting and was looking for help in chat I am eager to make wonderful things for my wife so please help me anyone! thankyou :) I will be in the general chatroom if anyone will please help me.

mtfbwy72
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Stacy. I just had my first knitting lesson last Saturday and I'm anxious to be able to make some woolies (wool covers) for my 14 month old son who wears cloth diapers.

vviolet
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi,
I'm really new to knitting. How do I use this site? I am doing my first project, which is a beaded scarf. I need to rip out some stitches. How do I do it? All the stitches are purls. The pattern sequence is purl 5, then slide on a bead and repeat this sequence 5 times across the row. It's simple, which is great, but I haven't needed to rip until now. Somehow I ended up with a couple of beads in a column instead of one. I didn't notice it until I had done a two rows beyond this mistake. It is in the middle of a row. I was doing so well, darn it. any suggestions are appreciated.

Shandeh
11-18-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm really new to knitting. How do I use this site? I am doing my first project, which is a beaded scarf. I need to rip out some stitches. How do I do it?
I'll copy your post to the "How To" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section of the forum, vviolet. You'll get some answers there! :thumbsup:

To use the site, just go to the main forum page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php), and browse through the different categories. You'll get used to it quickly!

(click on the "How To" and "main forum page" links to get to those areas I just mentioned.)

Leafyberry
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I love this site.It is so nice.I love the forums and knit chat.The people on here are so nice.:hug:

lhollems
11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi. My name is Lori, and I have been crocheting since I was 11, and now I am teaching myself how to knit! I love it just as much, lol. I have run into some questions that I look up, but sometimes I cant find the answers, or the answers are way confusing and dont make sense to me lol, but also would like advice of other knitters as well. The videos on here are awesome, some of them have helped me a great deal. I am so glad to have found this site lol. Looking forward to talking to everyone soon! Have a great day!

lhollems
11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
so i've been doing my first pattern, baby booties, and so far i've done ok, the videos have helped me alot on the stitches. I had to undo several times but finally did it, YEAH! lol, but, now that i've finished the last row, then next thing says to "cont in garter st for 2 1/2 ins (6cm) ending with a ws row" Call me dumb, what does this mean? Do I cont the knit st until the whole thing from top to bottem is 2 1/2 in or knit for 2 1/2 more? Thanks for any help.

scooter8amouse
11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Howdy Experienced Knitters. I am about to finish a stole with "live" stitches at each end. But what to do now??? I've never done this before, but was told by a shop, while on vacation, that this would finish off the piece without a seam. Anyone done this before??
Thanks for your help!:knitting:
Stephanie

kathyb75
11-18-2008, 08:19 PM
hello everyone

StevenJ
11-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Hello all, Just thought i would introduce myself here. Im just your average 25 yr old guy in the army who loves to knit ( so maybe thats no average) but am glad i found this website and am looking foward to helping people and getting help from people when i can! thanks
Steve

sgtpam
11-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Welcome Soldier. Where are you stationed?

StevenJ
11-19-2008, 03:21 AM
My wife and I are both active Duty Army, stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska. She is a Parachute Rigger and I am a Field Artilleryman. We just love to knit! Im addicted to it, LOL. She got me started about 6 months ago and i am just finishing my first "hard" project tonight, it is a cabled beanie :) for her of course. I love this site, a few of the girls down at our local knitting shop told us about it.
Steve

chj
11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

I jumped into a couple of threads, but didn't introduce myself, so I thought I'd come here and do it! I'm 53 and have been knitting since I was 9. My mom taught me, and I also had a 4th grade teacher (the old-fashioned kind!) who thought all girls should know how to knit, and she worked with me as well way back then. I have gone through many phases where I knit or don't knit for years at a time. I made dozens of sweaters back in the mid-70's, and a few afghans along the way. I love doing cables and fisherman-type patterns. This year (and 2 years ago) some of the women at my church decided to knit scarves for a city shelter for Christmas, so I jumped on the bandwagon! Scarves are fun to play around with different kinds of stitches. I've made 5 already, and have 2 more in progress. Mostly I knit with Lions or Caron or other yarns I get at Michaels/AC Moore. But this week I bought som alpaca yarn to knit a scarf for a friend for Christmas, so I'm really excited about that!

Oh, and I signed on to teach basic knitting to some of the other women at my church. That starts this week, and I'm not sure if I'm up to the task...

Anyway, I'm sooooooo happy I found this forum. What a wealth of information!!

CHJ

judjohns
11-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi I am Judy. I am new to this forum but have been knitting a long time. I am a Family Nurse Practitioner (in the USA this is a nurse with a Master's Degree who can do many of the same things a doctor does, like prescribing medicines and diagnosing illnesses). I am mom to 5 kids and grandma to one and have one on the way, due in March 2009.

Hopp2it
11-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi, MJ here, just got on this site and I am really thrilled to get back into knitting and crocheting again. I do have one question. Does anyone know how to do a right twist or a left twist? Seems like I had an old afghan project that I am getting back into and cannot find the instructions. Right now my husband is retired and l need something to do this winter. So guess what? The projects that where started and not finished are now coming out. Did do some mittens for a mitten tree last winter at the school that I work at and really enjoyed that.

suzeeq
11-19-2008, 11:31 PM
The pattern should have an explanation, but it's like a mini cable over 2 sts.

RT - knit into the 2nd st on the needle from the RS (the front), leaving the st there, knit into the 1st st then let them drop off.

LT - knit into the 2nd st on the needle from the WS (back), leave it on the needle and knit into the 1st st.

Shandeh
11-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:
........now that i've finished the last row, then next thing says to "cont in garter st for 2 1/2 ins (6cm) ending with a ws row" Call me dumb, what does this mean? Do I cont the knit st until the whole thing from top to bottem is 2 1/2 in or knit for 2 1/2 more? Thanks for any help.
I believe it means to keep knitting every stitch on every row (garter stitch) for 2 1/2 MORE inches.
I am about to finish a stole with "live" stitches at each end. But what to do now???
You'll be finishing off with a 3 needle bind off.
Amy has a video that shows how to do it at the bottom of this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/casting-off

bigdad1211
11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Just wanted to say Hello. I am new to knitting and as a 46 year old man, you can guess guess what kind of ribbing I am getting from my male coworkers. One of the ladies on the job started me off with some basic steps and told me about this site.I have always wanted to learn knitting, but my wife didn't have the patience. lol

Well I hope I learn alot from this site
Thanks
Greg

alli12
11-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi all - am new to the site and also to knitting. I need input on yarn.....I am looking to knit a VERY warm winter scarf and need to hear recommendations on the type I should use. I really want to stay away from anything acrylic but nothing ridiculously expensive either. I want to make it pretty long, too to wrap around once or twice. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Alli

ALAGIRL
11-20-2008, 11:53 PM
HI MY NAME IS SHELIA AND I LIVE IN ALABAMA. I AM MARRIED TO A WONDERFUL MAN FOR THIRTY YEARS. I HAVE TWO GROWN CHILDREN. I HAVE JUST LEARNED HOW TO KNIT IN APRIL. I HAVE MADE SEVERAL PURSES, SCARVES, AND CAP AND A BABY BLANKET. I REALLY ENJOY KNITTING. I HOPE TO LEARN MORE AS TIME GOES ON . SHELIA

raindrop
11-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi my name is Lynda. I taught myself to knit many years ago but still have many questions about patterns as I start to knit them. I have found this site especially the videos to be such a tremendous help to me. I look forward to checking in here often and possibly posting my own questions for help. Thank you so much!

DaftHart
11-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Hello everyone! I am a 28-year-old housewife and college student, and I am very new to knitting. I have always wanted to learn how to knit, but - as far as I know - I don't have a single relative or friend who knows how knit, so there was no one I knew of who could teach me. (Lots of crocheters in the family, though...) I tried learning how to knit from books several times in the past, but I never had any success. Then, about a month ago, I came across this site. Thanks to all the helpful videos here, I just completed my first knitting project last week. Now, I have a backlog of patterns I can't wait to try out! :mrgreen:

cally10
11-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to pop in & say hi! I'm a newbie knitter. I originally tried to start learning how to knit when I was pregnant 2 years ago & started a few bits....I've only just decided to try to start again as I thought it would be time to knit that scarf I had planned on making for my Dad's Christmas present 2 years ago! Will definitely be spending a lot of time lurking & learning!

Wannie
11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Am just a newbie, but Wow! I have grown to love this site. This is my first post, just have to say that it has help so very much. I took lesson to learn continental (love it), but would forget by the time I got home. Stumbling along on the computer found you and it has enable me to make mittens for my 5 yr old granddaughter who thinks that Grandma is now very amazing. Look forward to getting connected with more knitters. Thanks again.

alterknit
11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello Everyone! My name is Jazzy and I am a brand new knitter. I fond this site when i googled how to purl. I'm fifteen and would love to meet other young knitters! Feel free to talk to me and tips are always welcome!

anonymous08
11-22-2008, 06:29 PM
hi! my name is britt, and i am a new knitter as well. i just taught myself a couple weeks ago with online videos and such. this website has been such a great tool to help me get started!

Jeremy
11-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the site. There are lots of reasonably priced yarns out there especially if you are willing to have them mailed to you. WEBS is a great source as is Knitpicks. Pattons sells a very nice, reasonably priced wool yarn you can buy in the stores.

Hi all - am new to the site and also to knitting. I need input on yarn.....I am looking to knit a VERY warm winter scarf and need to hear recommendations on the type I should use. I really want to stay away from anything acrylic but nothing ridiculously expensive either. I want to make it pretty long, too to wrap around once or twice. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Alli

JerseyShoreGirl
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I've been crocheting for about 10 years now and I have been getting bored with it, so I wanted to learn knitting. I just moved so I don't know anyone in my area who could help me get started. I found this website and all I have to say is "WOW!" I couldn't have gotten this far without it. I still have a long way to go, but thanks so much for being available for the ,uch needed help.

albertpollard
11-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. I am a long time crocheter and new to knitting. I really loved the videos! It's almost like having a teacher.

Jeremy
11-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:hug:

amber1156
11-23-2008, 04:30 PM
:muah:
THanks for the videos! I have a book that has "how to knit cables" but I could never visualize any of it. I a a beginning knitter and am getting tired of knitting plain scarves and hats....I am ready for cables.
Could you possibly add in a videodthe future a how-to do a 'yarn over'? I think a yarn over is where either a stitch is added or a hole is made, I can't figure it out. Any advice?

Shandeh
11-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! :muah:

Just wanted to say Hello. I am new to knitting and as a 46 year old man
Hi Greg! You'll find other male knitters in our forum. Welcome to the world of knitting!

I am looking to knit a VERY warm winter scarf and need to hear recommendations on the type I should use. I really want to stay away from anything acrylic but nothing ridiculously expensive either.
Hi Alli! Wool would be nice and warm. Lion Brand Wool or Patons Wool are both inexpensive, and are available at craft stores like Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnn's.

Could you possibly add in a video the future a how-to do a 'yarn over'? I think a yarn over is where either a stitch is added or a hole is made, I can't figure it out. Any advice?
Amy has already made a video on yarn-overs. It's in the "increases" section.

KnitterKH
11-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello Everyone!!

I just joined this website and am looking forward to meeting the people on here. I have just started to knit using a loom. I have one finished hat to my credit and am looking forward to doing more projects!!

happypins
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
hi i have just joined the group and am looking forward to meeting you all love to knitt dolls and animalls and also would love to learn knitting on a loom looking forward to other things i can try happypins

pisav
11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to this site. I am an experienced knitter, crocheter. Although I haven't knitted or crocheted in a few years, I haven't forgotten how to. I've just been busy sewing. My reason for joining is because I am trying to find out where in the U.S. I can purchase Phentex Yarn ......to make the infamous slippers. My sister is actually the one looking. We know that it can be purchased in Canada, since I am Canadian....but can it be bought in the U.S? Anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated.

grmpookie
11-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi! My name is Helen, a new member. I am retired from our local printing/newspaper company, my husband is retired from a forging factory. We have two children, and three grandchildren, will have three step-grandchildren very soon.
I have been knitting since high school, and I also crochet, loving every minute and each project I finish. I teach two small knitting classes each week. Started the prayer shawl ministry in our church.
I am always looking for new things to work on. I belong to the Monthly Dishcloth Group.
I know I will enjoy reading all the threads and learning new knitting techniques.

HorrorRetro
11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi, my name is Gina, and I just joined up here.

I'm a very basic knitter who has decided to branch out and learn how to make useful things other than dishcloths and scarves :roll: As such, I just purchased four Elizabeth Zimmermann books and two Mary Thomas books. I taught myself to use circular needles this past week, so I splurged and bought myself Knit Picks Harmony wooden circ. interchangeable needle set. I splurged because tomorrow is my 40th b-day, and I needed a little something to get me out of the doldrums. :neutral:

I'm a proud Army wife, and my daughter is serving in the Coast Guard. When I'm not knitting, I edit and proofread legal transcripts in my home office. We're in the process of moving from SW Oklahoma to Spokane, WA. We have a small zoo, consisting of two male pugs and three male cats.

Nice to "meet" everyone!

HazelC
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi. I'm HazelC and I'm a knitaholic.

I thought I knew all I needed to know about knitting until I discovered KH.com! It's opened up a whole new world for me.

I'm in my church's prayer shawl ministry and that just requires the most basic skills. However, when deciding to knit socks from all those odds and ends of yarn I found I needed some help in how to knit a heel flap, turn a heel, finish off a toe by Kitchener stitch. The how-to books describe how but I need someone to show me. Bless Google! :woot: (Hmmm. Where's that emoticon I clicked on?) I found KH and keep visiting and viewing videos.

Shandeh
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM

Be sure to go to the main forum page, so you can see all the different categories we have for discussions.

suzeeq
11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi pisav. I don't think phentex is available in the US anymore. You can try ebay, but you might be able to sub another yarn that's similar.

OffJumpsJack
11-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi, I just learned the basics of knitting last night using just this website. I am currently making newborn mittens for my son (our first child)who is to be born in March. I am a 24 year old man. So, so far the only people who know that I knit and love it, are my wife and this forum. When friends come over I put the yarn and needles by my wife. I picked a strange time in my life to pick up a new hobby. I am working two jobs and going to school and my wife is 8 months pregnant plus I am also currently teaching myself guitar and how to program. Not to mention being active in my church and moderating my son's website ( http://cohen.bounceme.net ). Well anyways I hope I am not the only young guy who is perfectly normal and generally masculine but simply finds knitting to be relaxing and enjoyable.

I guess it could be the relaxation of knitting, or something to do at a time when there isn't much a man can do to help the pregnancy along.

As a father of four and in my fourties, I remember many sleepless nights in the waiting before and after their births. I also remember that the cronic sleep deprivation can alter your awareness. I remember creative burst of activity that followed several sleepless nights.

Checking the date of your post, how are you, your wife and new son doing?

--Jack

Ingrid
11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to this site. I am an experienced knitter, crocheter. Although I haven't knitted or crocheted in a few years, I haven't forgotten how to. I've just been busy sewing. My reason for joining is because I am trying to find out where in the U.S. I can purchase Phentex Yarn ......to make the infamous slippers. My sister is actually the one looking. We know that it can be purchased in Canada, since I am Canadian....but can it be bought in the U.S? Anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com/Yarns/Phentex%20Yarns/phentex_slipper_craft_yarns.htm

PeprmntPat55
11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi, I am a new knitter (started teaching myself in the spring) and very new to this forum. I've been looking over a few of the posts and have already found this site to be very helpful, and am looking forward to using it in the future! Can't wait to check it out..:happydance:

ziba
11-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Hi All,

I have been hand knitting on and off for years. I have done a few jumpers in the past, but have mostly stuck to doing scarves in recent times.

I have only just bought a knitting machine with ribber off an on-line auction for the princely sum of $1.00!! The machine is from 1977, but it all looks to be intact with all its components and has all the manuals. In the upcoming months there is going to be a lot of experimentation. :)

Looking forward to seeing what interesting projects you have all been up to and getting advice.

neen1meatloaf
11-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks i am new to using a computer but not to knitting it great to have such a wonderful place to go to learn more about knitting and to chat about it to. Also to meet more other crazy knitters like me

donna881
11-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi
I have used KH for many helps. Used to knit many years ago but have forgotten so much. Have just started knitting again. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Momtopands
11-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I currently living in Oak Park, IL and I have been knitting on and off for the last 4 years. I found this site earlier this year and have used it for help many times and am very grateful that it is here. I mostly knit for relaxation which in my case means I don't tend to finish things in a timely fashion but I still work on them when I can. I look forward to being part of this forum and you'll be hearing from me with all my questions.

snuffytiger
11-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Hello everyone. Real new to learning how to knit. Still trying to decide which method I like the best to use. I am sure I will have some questions real soon. Thanks for all the help and hints that you all bring. Hope all had a nice thanksgiving.....:grphug: