PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

terri56
11-29-2008, 12:32 AM
I i'm new to this site so i hope i am posting my question in the correct place ...if not please forgive me...I am making my first sweater...I did great until I got to the shoulder and neck shaping which is a turtle neck sweater the pattern says

Cast off 12 sts beg of next 2 rows. Leave rem 30 sts on a st holder.
Does that mean i cast off 12 sts put 30 sts on a holder, cut yarn and rejoin yarn and then cast of the other 12 sts? I need help lol I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appriecated. Thank you in advance. Terri

Shandeh
11-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :muah:

Cast off 12 sts beg of next 2 rows. Leave rem 30 sts on a st holder. Does that mean i cast off 12 sts put 30 sts on a holder, cut yarn and rejoin yarn and then cast of the other 12 sts?
Terri, you'll cast off 12 stitches, put 30 stitches on a stitch holder, (do NOT cut yarn), then continue to the end of that row. On the NEXT row, you'll cast off 12 stitches at the beginning of the row. This will make both sides the same.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

By the way, I copied your question to the "How To" section of our forum. You'll get some advice there as well.

I have only just bought a knitting machine with ribber off an on-line auction for the princely sum of $1.00!!
Great deal on a knitting machine, ziba! :cheering:

tammy8701
11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
just wanted to say hi and l just found this site this has to be the best site l love to knit and learn new things thank you :thumbsup:

Jeremy
11-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Welcome everyone:hug:

robjomac
11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Hello everyone, I just found this site while I was browsing online. I am new to knitting so I think this site will be really helpful. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Robie :)

Jeremy
11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Welcome Robie:hug:

SLP
12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Question for anyone, Does anyone recommend a good video or thread for learning how to knit booties? I've only knitted a scarf so far so I'm quite lost on everything else.

MiriamR
12-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi, I bought the knitting kit at Michael's a month ago and I have been limping along trying to learn knitting since then. I found this website early on and it has been a great resource!

I am determined to learn how to knit, specifically, I want to learn how to make longies for my little girl. I hope to get lots of help and advice from all the knitters here. :)

Shandeh
12-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)
Question for anyone, Does anyone recommend a good video or thread for learning how to knit booties? I've only knitted a scarf so far so I'm quite lost on everything else.
If you want a basic baby bootie, knit on two needles, try this one:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4054/knitbooties.htm
If you want to learn to do circular knitting, do this one:
http://megan.cc/SeamlessBootee/

restlesslilly
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi, I'm new obviously.

I am new to knitting. And I do mean new as in I just bought the stuff yesterday and have been trying to get the hang of it since then. Figured this might be a good place to get help as I learn.

TEMA
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Jivewhistle...
Love your puppy... reminds me of my black lab. We adopted her from an SPCA. She had been neglected, had no bark and was filthy.
She soon became my shadow. She's gone now and I still miss her.
TEMA

jackiealmon
12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi Im new too. I can knit and purl a blanket but have always wanted to try socks and sweaters. I read Debbie McComber's book A Good Yarn and got a great pattern to knit socks on two circular needles and believe it or not it really worked. okay, the sock came out the size of a Christmas stocking but I was and am really proud of myself. Its not really hard. Nice to meet you Jackiealmon

Shandeh
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :muah:

Be sure to go to the main forum page, so you can see all the different categories we have for discussions.

knitterific
12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
My name is Missy and I have been knitting for almost a year. I am a full time student and mother to a 2 year old. I knit to relax, but I don't have the time to do it as much as I would like. All of this will change when I graduate college in 3 weeks. I hope to take a few knitting classes at my local yarn store to help me along. I can cast-on, knit, and purl. I used a borrowed book from the library to learn. I have only made a few scarves and many swatches. I have a lot to learn and I am ready to get on with it! This is a great site. The videos have helped me tremendously.

ladydoc442
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I've been knitting a couple years now, after having learned how as a child some 40 years ago! I find it very relaxing and I enjoy making projects to give away :)

This website is invaluable whenever I come across something I can't quite remember how to do properly. The videos are excellent, as is the written explanations provided. Hoping this will improve my knitting to the point where I can progress into making actual garments instead of scarves, mittens, slippers & afghans!

JJknitter1
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I just now got on this wonderful website because one of my teachers gave me this website. I already love it. I'm also been knitting for a year now. Which is good. YAY! i hope i can learn more now. Plus i'm the president of my Knitting club woop woop!.::knitting:

j17gmorato
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi.. My name is Georgette I have been crocheting for 10 years and Knitting for a year .. I'm obsessed with Knitting and can seem to give anything away that I have made even though when I was knitting it I had someone in mind. So I feel if I put a label in all my items I will feel better about letting them go .. I also take pictures of all my stuff as well.. Please help I ordered labels .. how should I sew them in.. tried by hand horrible outcome. Use a machine or does someone out there have some cool technique. Please advise

girlsinitaly
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
:knitting:

Thanks for the invite. I was wondering if any of you out there know where I could find 100% silk yarn, especially pre-dyed. It is a little hard to find here in Italy. Lots of wool though. Ciao and thanks.

pattirudi23
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Hello! :waving:

New here! I've already put up a few posts but thought it's only polite to come and say hi :)

I learnt to knit as a child but never really made anything much more than half finished scarfs/squares/whatever-you-want-to-call-its.... I'm nearly thirty (writing the word doesn't seem half as scary as when you see the numbers...) and been off work sick since August bored so thought knitting would be a good idea... and it was! I have made 10 hats, 3 scarves, 4 neckwarmers (with some very funky buttons I might add!), a pair of mittens, and a pair of slippers. My family are going to be warm this christmas! I've learnt so much in the process of making these, and absolutely love visiting the shops to buy more wool and knitting gadgets! I'm very into vintage style so will be (and currently am) attempting to knit up some very old patterns me and mum dug out that have been passed down the generations. A bit of history! Anyway you don't need to know about my family tree... but I love knitting! So here I am, ready to make new knitting friends and share ideas and tips (probably receiving more than giving to start with!)

Wow that was long. The abridged version:

Hello!

Looking forward to meeting you all :mrgreen:

Jeremy
12-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:hug:

weaselmouse
12-02-2008, 07:45 PM
thank you amy and moderators for keeping up such a great site. cloud9

my mother has been getting into sewing and crocheting (at the tender age of 50) and with her enthusiasm and creativity, she has persuaded me to take a sewing class with her in january! meanwhile, i've been knitting (not her favorite -- she thinks crochet is much easier). the increase/decrease sections have been tremendously helpful. i am working on that right now!

MeMoKnitter
12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Just discovered Knitting Help and I am already addicted. Just a bit about me.
My name is Penny, but my grandkids call me MeMo. I have two grown kids and 3 of those grandkids. I moved to Clarksville, TN 2 1/2 years ago from NJ - just to be closer to those grandkids. :grphug:
I am a fairly new knitter - tried to teach myself several times and a couple years ago, I was able to produce about 20 very easy scarves. Eager to learn something else, I recently signed up for knitting lessons at a LYS. We are working on an afghan that is made up of 20 different squares. It's turning out to be a great way to learn lots of different stitches. I am currently working on a square with cables - never thought I would be able to do that! :cheering:
I can't wait to knit socks!! And a sweater!! And lots lots more.
I am happy to be here and looking forward to sharing as I learn.
Penny

nbfriend
12-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone I am new to this site. I have a question. what is the best or proper way to block a finished piece

vkasal
12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Although I've been knitting for about 3 years I still consider myself a novice because all I've ever knitted have been scarves and one hat LOL

However, I'm just starting a shawl for my boss for Christmas (very easy pattern, btw) so I'm kinda excited to do something else a little different! And I also bought some yarn to make a blanket so that'll be next.

Looks like a great forum - I look forward to "meeting" everyone!
Vanessa :)

kellybigeyes
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone I am new to this site. I have a question. what is the best or proper way to block a finished piece

It depends on what the piece is... Can you give us more info please.

Shandeh
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Please help I ordered labels .. how should I sew them in.. tried by hand horrible outcome. Use a machine or does someone out there have some cool technique. Please advise
I usually sew my in with a machine, using a long stitch, very slowly. The stitches don't show through the knitting usually. Just make sure to use a thread that matches the yarn in color.

I was wondering if any of you out there know where I could find 100% silk yarn, especially pre-dyed.
Silk Purse (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=178) by Alchemy
Silk Pearl (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=5108) by Artyarns
Silk (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=4650) by Gedifra
Sumptuous Silk Ribbon (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=4336) by the Bag Smith
Silken Straw (http://www.rosiesyarncellar.com/products/alchemysilkenstraw.shtml) by Alchemy
Pure Silk (http://www.designeryarns.uk.com/yarndetail.php?id=68&yarndes=4) by Debbie Bliss
100% Spun Silk (http://www.sarahsyarns.com/SYSpunSilk.html) by Sarah's Yarns
There are others too, but I think that's enough to get you started. :wink:

Knitty has a good article on blocking.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

missybing
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm new to the site, but I love it already. In the past, I've googled my knitting problem & always got this lady (EZ) who would give the knitting lesson that I needed. Wow, I didn't know that she had her own site!! Thank you!

HomesteadMommy
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi, I'm Kim from Ontario. I'm a SAHM to five little ones ages 6 down to 3 weeks. I've crochet for a long time but never mastered knitting. A few weeks before our last little one was due I tried again with the videos here. It finally clicked for me. :woohoo:

Shandeh
12-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :muah:

njackson15
12-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi...Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Nina I live in Houston, Texas and have a daughter at the University of Colorado on a basketball scholarship...Go buffs! Anyhooo I've been crocheting for many many years (Granny taught me when I was about 10 now I'm 46) just recently taught myself to knit with the help of these wonderful videos...I'm a very visual learner...anyway I finally finished my first knitting project...a baby blanket it's like 10 rows of stockinette with 6 rows of garter...you just keep repeating that...I even changed colors so I have color blocks...I'm so excited....so thank you very much for this wonderful site...I'm making a shawl now and a co-worker wants me to knit a christmas stocking for her little boy but I'm way intimidated does anyone have a really easy christmas stocking to make...it's her son's first christmas...and her mom (an excellent knitter) passed away this year from breast cancer...so no pressure here...YIKES!

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

shirleyt
12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks, Amy. I am a newby to knitting. While on vacation in New Zealand, I decided to buy a funny little wooden spool with four nails on the top on which to get accustomed to handling yarn and a needle. is this weird, or what? (Probably this is the silliest note you have ever read)

After MANY practice sessions, I think I have the feel of it :yay: AND I now have a rat's tail that is actually pretty neat. I think I can sew it into a circle and use it as a nice round place mat. However, the lady who sold me this contraption did not tell me how to END the tail. She is in New Zealand and I am in New Mexico. Argh!

I see that you have systems for binding off to get your yarn off a knitting needle. But, I have only four nails at the end of my rat's tail project and don't know what to do!!

Is there a site where I might find instructions? Do you have any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated because I am very proud of this tail and do want to complete the project before buying some real knitting needles! Thanks!

yviepaxt4
12-07-2008, 04:32 AM
My name's Yvette and I live in California. I just stumbled onto this terrific site! I learned how to knit and purl from a cousin when I was 12, but I never made anything at that time. Now I'm 47 and I decided to start knitting. I've knitted many scarfs :) and now I want to expand my knitting by trying other projects.

I am going to try making a baby hat and booties. The instructions take a bit getting use to. So I'm trying to stick to really simple instructions. I'm sure this site with the videos and other knitters will come in handy.

Thank you for having such a wonderful resource!

drTortoise
12-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Hello from the UK! I found this forum when looking for videos on how to knit. Thank you very much for providing them, I'm making a Mr Bean Teddy for my dad for xmas and I couldn't do it without your help=)

About me: My name is Linda, I'm 23 and first learnt to knit this summer while visiting a folk museum in Norway (the lady wouldn't let me leave before teaching me a craft, haha).

I really want to learn how to knit Norwegian style socks.

Marria
12-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi to all the new people that just joined in the last few days. :yay:

I just joined in late October myself because I was stumped in a pattern and I got some great advice and help. This is a wonderful, friendly community. I think you'll enjoy it here. I know I am. :)

Marria

Anarfea
12-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I think I posted a question once before on how to unravel a piece from your CO edge but I never really introduced myself so here it goes.

I'm 23, I live in Budapest and I've been knitting about 2 years now. I've learned most everything I know from videos and books (including these ones!) rather than from other knitters, which I hope to change in the future.

I don't know what I'd say my skill level is and I don't pay too much attention to the guidelines on patterns :-) If you count experience by the number of FOs, then I have a few scarves, a hat and some wristies and that's about it. But, in those few projects I've done double point and circular needles, lace, short row shaping, i-cord, and latest, entrelanc. I'm currently dabling in cables and I'm anxious to try brioche. Whenever I start a new project I always try to look for one which calls for a skill I haven't learned yet--I frog my work and swatch a lot.

Sometimes my ambition gets me in trouble, which is why I thought I had best register here :-)

Anarfea
12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Amy. I am a newby to knitting. While on vacation in New Zealand, I decided to buy a funny little wooden spool with four nails on the top on which to get accustomed to handling yarn and a needle. is this weird, or what? (Probably this is the silliest note you have ever read)

After MANY practice sessions, I think I have the feel of it :yay: AND I now have a rat's tail that is actually pretty neat. I think I can sew it into a circle and use it as a nice round place mat. However, the lady who sold me this contraption did not tell me how to END the tail. She is in New Zealand and I am in New Mexico. Argh!

I see that you have systems for binding off to get your yarn off a knitting needle. But, I have only four nails at the end of my rat's tail project and don't know what to do!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated because I am very proud of this tail and do want to complete the project before buying some real knitting needles! Thanks!

Hi Shirley,
I'm not amy but I knit a rat tail when I was little. There are two ways you can end your tail:

1) Easiest way first. Since you've only got 4 nails on the top, you can simply cut your yarn, thread the tail through all four loops at the top of your tail at once, and pull it tight. If you're confused, look at any instructions for binding off a hat that is decreasing towards the top.

2) If you want an "open" tail which looks the same as your cast-on edge, you will need to bind it off, which is really the same as what is being done on the bind off videos only you've only got to bind off 4 stitches. If you don't have needles you can probably do it with your fingers but I suspect it would be easier to use a crochet hook. You need to take your first stich off your nail (if you have a hook, slip it knitwise) knit the next one, either with the hook or by looping it over the nail like you usually do, and then you need to get your knitted stitch through the one you slipped (if you have a hook, simply pull it back through that slipped stich. Repeat 2 more times to bind off the other stiches. If you're confused, check the video re binding off with a crochet hook.

Finally, if you still need help, I don't know where you are in NM, but if you are in Santa Fe, go to Needles Eye, which is downtown (off Don Gaspar, I think, but it's been a year since I've been there). They have friendly and helpful staff.

PBELKNAP
12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Greetings from Granby...:cheering:

I decided, seeing as I've consulted this site many times with knitting questions, to become a member of the forum.

I live in Granby, CT with my partner, a dog, and a cat (who's, of course, in charge). I've been knitting for about 3 years and just love it. I work in IT for one of our area Insurance Companies - I've been there for 19 years.

Looking forward to conversing with you all!

Shandeh
12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
..........a co-worker wants me to knit a christmas stocking for her little boy but I'm way intimidated does anyone have a really easy christmas stocking to make.
You'll find some Christmas stocking patterns here. Just type in "christmas stocking" in the search box:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/search.php
Good luck!

You're doing "Spool Knitting", which creates I-cord. Here's a page that has some photos and instructions:
http://bobscrafts.com/bobstuff/spool.htm

maggie9550
12-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi, my name is Maggie. I love to knit but I am tired of making scarfs. I am hoping to see what others say about their projects

angwife73
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi all, just wanted to say hello and thanks for the list. I'm a needle-knittin' newbie...rofl. I've only been knitting for a little over a month. I have crocheted since I was 12 and took up loom knitting about 3 months ago. I've always loved to be crafty and make things, but somehow before knitting was just out of my brain's ability to comprehend. Then came the invention of Youtube and people's willingness to share the craft with others through motion...finally, Success!!! :woot:

I have done scarves and hats and small items and would LOVE to learn socks. I've got 40" Addi turbos to learn by the Magic Loop method, and I WILL learn this! Lol. Anyway...I'm Carrie Lynn, a 35 yr old mom/stepmom to 5 (yes, I did say 5), proud Army wife to DH of 8 1/2 years, and proud "mommy" to 2 Pug furbabies. Thanks for letting me be here with you and I look forward to getting to know you all and learning more.

Hugs,
Carrie Lynn

PattiNH
12-09-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm new to the site and to knitting. I have been wanting to learn for years, and after watching a lady do it in church every Sunday, I broke down and bought a DVD and started learning. I am on my second project already. The first scarf came out so good people were shocked I never knitted before, including the lady who inspired me.

My name is Patti and I live in New Hampshire. We don't have any decent yarn stores near us, either. The best one is 45 minutes away and other than that I am stuck with Wal-Mart. I am not impressed with their yarn as I like to work with the softer yarns.

My biggest stumbling block so far has been adding a new skein when I run out. I just saw something about the Russian Join which looks really good except I want to be able to get it right for when I am working different colors in a pattern.

Jeremy
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Welcome to Everyone who joined. Patti, there are some excellent online yarn sources. Two of them advertise here: WEBS and Knitpicks. WEBS has a HUGE store in North Hampton MA, maybe not so far for a special trip from NH.

cluhrs
12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm very new to knitting and have tried & failed to find a live body to teach me to knit. So off to the craft store I went and plunked down $$ for a kit. This didn't help at all! :( Next step - the internet! I found tons of info and each site had a different way of doing things, so needless to say I was very confused. I found this site among the many and love it! The videos and step by step instructions have really helped. I'm still learning mind you but I keep coming back to learn more. I really appreciate the videos and instructions. Keep up the fantastic work! :thumbsup:

joan adis
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi I am Joan, is there a pattern for kniting socks with one needle? i want to knit a pair very badly but scared to try

Shandeh
12-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Hello everyone, and welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! :hug:
Hi, my name is Maggie. I love to knit but I am tired of making scarfs. I am hoping to see what others say about their projects
I bet you'd enjoy learning to make a hat. Those are fun, and very quick to knit.
Hi I am Joan, is there a pattern for kniting socks with one needle? i want to knit a pair very badly but scared to try
There are several ways to knit socks. (Click links to see patterns)
Socks using 2 straight needles (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kp2.html)
Socks using double-pointed needles (dpns) (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)
Socks using 2 circular needles (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm)
Socks using 1 long circular needle (Magic Loop) (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm)

Luiza
12-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Greetings from sunny La Paz, Mexico

I'm Luiza, a Canadian by birth and a Mexican resident by choice. My husband and I are also sailors. We returned to the Pacific NorthWest to use our 38 ft. sailboat. Since the boat is too small to accommodate my knitting machine, I rediscovered the pleasures of hand knitting. I also rediscovered the pleasures of shopping for yarn - in every port!! I was thrilled to discover the many changes in the yarn industry over the past few years - bamboo, hemp, corn, soy and even milk protein (milk latte from Portugal) yarns. During the 2 months of sailing the boat was converted into a mini knitting studio. Yarn, books, blocking wires, yoga mat for blocking, steam iron were stashed in every nook and cranny possible. I completed 3 sweaters during July & August, one sweater on the drive between Bellingham,WA and Ottawa, ON and another sweater on the drive from Ottawa, ON to La Paz, Mexico. I just finished blocking this last one today.

I fell upon this forum by accident when I wanted to know how to "wyib". There was an older post asking the same question.

Hopefully someone in this wonderful community of knitters can help me with "wyib".

Happy knitting.

Luiza
La Paz, Mexico

I've searched my knitting books, videos

I've just completed my 5th sweater since July.

alfie71
12-10-2008, 08:12 AM
My name is Chris and I am very new to these online forums, so please bear with me.
I am not so new to knitting though. As a child I was really into knitting and crochet, it all went a bit awol when I grew up (many would debate this) and started working.
I got back into knitting in a big way after having an episode of depression last year. I found it was the ideal way to focus on something positive with a clear beginning, middle and end result.
I have made a point of keeping it as a form of 'me time'. I really enjoy it and am currently snowed under by friends requesting xmas presents.
I am also happy that it has become a 'trendy' hobby. Gone are the days of being stared at like an alien by other commuters on the train, who can't get their head round the concept of a young woman in a business suit with a laptop getting her knitting out!

Anyway, that's all for now as my knitting beckons.
Would be great to hear from other members.
Cx

KnittingNat
12-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome Luiza and Chris!
You'll find lots of information here and the most friendly knitting community ever :hug:

Shandeh
12-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :hug:
You'll like it here. :)

I fell upon this forum by accident when I wanted to know how to "wyib". There was an older post asking the same question. Hopefully someone in this wonderful community of knitters can help me with "wyib".
Welcome Luiza! :hug: "wyib" just means "with yarn in back", which means to have the yarn at the back of the needle when starting the stitch. Sometimes it's already there, because you just did a knit stitch. Other times, you have to take it to the back after making a purl stitch. Congratulations on all your knitting!

theotterone
12-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi all!

I'm very new at this, both the forum and knitting! But loving both! I am heading down to La Paz Mexico for a couple of weeks and am wondering if anyone knows of some good yarn shops down there. I will be traveling from La Paz to El Sargento (where I will be staying for 2 weeks). We will be going into Todos Santos, and also meeting up with some friends in Cabo San Lucas for a day. Any information on yarn shops would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, and happy knitting!

Barbara

linddasfun2006
12-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I must start by introducing myself. My name is Linda and I live in Arkansas. It's cold and icy outside, so I thought I might knit some caps for some christmas gifts. Several years ago I bought at a yard sale a box full of knitting needles. There are lots of circular needles, but they don't have a size number on them anywhere. Some of the caps I've been looking at require circular needles. How do I determine the size??
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Linda

theotterone
12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi Linda! I'm new at all this forum stuff too, and a bit of a newbie at knitting. My circular needles are marked on them as to their size. As for knitting caps on circular needles: very groovy and easy way of doing it, having only knitted caps myself, till now. I'm branching out, took a knitting class for knitting, basically, origami socks/slippers. They are actually called Norwegian Felted Slippers, and they are way cool. I'm moving onto scarves next, and will be taking a 7 week class in our local knitting shop this January where we will be knitting a seamless sweater! Which is why I posted for yarn shops in La Paz Mexico, I'd like to get my yarn for my sweater down there if I can, something special for the sweater!

I think patience is something you have to exercise on these forums. I'm still hoping for info on yarn shops in southern Baja.

Good luck on your christmas caps.

Barb

JamJ
12-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi All,
I just joined after coming across the website by chance, really great to find somewhere to chat and get great knitting ideas etc.
I am in the UK and knit like my life depended on it - once i start i just cannot stop :wink:
Looking forward to chatting to you all in the forums, gotta go now, my bed is calling.

Shandeh
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Several years ago I bought at a yard sale a box full of knitting needles. There are lots of circular needles, but they don't have a size number on them anywhere. Some of the caps I've been looking at require circular needles. How do I determine the size??
Hi Linda. To find out the size of your circular needles, you'll need to push the points through a needle gauge. When the needle matches the hole, you'll know the size of the needle.

Here's a needle gauge for example:

sarahd77
12-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Hello people. I've been knitting simple projects on and off for five years and trying to up my craft. This web site looks great. Looking forward to learning.

best,
Sarah:knitting:

KnitMamaATL
12-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi, I'm Gina and was and on and off again beginner for years until this year. Now, I can't get enough of knitting hats. Hats, hats, hats! My family and friends think I'm nuts. LOL!

I'm looking forward to meeting you and learning more.

Gina

knitter34
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone
Just started knitting in the last two month.:knitting: On my second project now , it has been a bit tricky. This website has been very helpful. Anyway just wanted to say hi.

missypickles
12-12-2008, 02:58 PM
hi all, i've just joined after completing my first EVER knitting project! am looking forward to picking up tips... :)

AdySin
12-14-2008, 08:15 AM
I joined, last February, but never posted. I've been knitting since age 8, more than 50 years, but have never mastered anything beyond an even tension. I'd like to learn more but have problems getting motivated.

Betsyam
12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I discovered this site while researching Continental knitting. The videos are so helpful! At the moment I am making a cow jumped over the moon sweater, aan alligator scarf & a tomato hat!

I love to knit!

B.

Hope995
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
:aww: :aww: Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Knitnewbie08
12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi. I just recently took up knitting after 10 years of not doing anything (my aunt tried in vain to show me how), and I am glad I found the site. The instructional videos are very helpful.

jhaskell2
12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Hello, everyone!:hug:

I'm Jennifer. I just joined the forum, but I have an immediate question. I am working on a scarf project with the red knifty knitter loom. It is a simple tube scarf and I thought that since I am going to be sewing up the ends of the scarf, Why not just put two slits in it to make the ends of the scarf pockets. This is easier said than done. I looked on line for patterns, but found none for the loom. I could use some advice on how to do this on a loom.

Shandeh
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

I just joined the forum, but I have an immediate question. I am working on a scarf project with the red knifty knitter loom. It is a simple tube scarf and I thought that since I am going to be sewing up the ends of the scarf, Why not just put two slits in it to make the ends of the scarf pockets. This is easier said than done. I looked on line for patterns, but found none for the loom. I could use some advice on how to do this on a loom.
Hi Jennifer. I'm not familiar with working on a loom, but here are lots of websites that might help.
http://yarngear.com/looms/
http://www.loomknittingdesigns.com/patterns_free.html
http://isela.typepad.com/looming_crafts/free-patterns.html
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/loom_knitting.php
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LoomClass/
http://www.provocraft.com/projects/projects.php?dsp=list&prdindex=kniftyknitter
http://springyknitting.com/_wsn/page2.html

Good luck!

Paisleyann
12-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi,
I'm so excited to get to be a part of your group. I'm so looking forward to talking to you all and hearing your great experiences and advise. I've been knitting about 10 years and, well, it's may favorite hobby outside of babysitting my 3 Grandsons.
Lately I've been fascinated with entrelac and have made a headband and hat out of Noro yarn. When I began I thought I was so out of my league even attempting entrelac but found that it was really no big deal and so fun and addicting. There is a great webpage I'd be glad to pass on if anyone is interested.
Again, thanks for having me and I'm looking forward to talking to you soon.
Paisleyann

YummyKnittingMummy
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm new to knitting and am hooked already. I love that this forum is here. Yay!

lovemyneedlecrafts
12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
I was under the wire today trying to finish a hat to send to a daughter in her Christmas package. I couldn't remember how to finish off the seam so that it would be invisible (Mattress seam). I got on your website and watched a video explaining how to do it. It was very simple and the exact thing I was looking for. :woohoo: Now I am done and the package can go out. Thank you so much for being here and for letting me be part of your group of friends. :woot:

sgtpam
12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Jennifer. I'm not familiar with working on a loom, but here are lots of websites that might help.
Good luck!

Thanks for the sites, Shandeh! I've just done hats on the loom and am going to try some more things on it soon. I didn't have all of these sites, so I'll check them out.

You ROCK, Lady! You even know things about things you don't do!.......:teehee: :hug:

sgtpam
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Lately I've been fascinated with entrelac and have made a headband and hat out of Noro yarn. When I began I thought I was so out of my league even attempting entrelac but found that it was really no big deal and so fun and addicting. There is a great webpage I'd be glad to pass on if anyone is interested.
Again, thanks for having me and I'm looking forward to talking to you soon.
Paisleyann

Welcome. And do share...you'll find that we all LOVE pictures of other people's FOs (finished objects) and new websites! :thumbsup:

Jeremy
12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!

ASoldiersPinkRibbon
12-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi! My name is Crystal!
I'm a SAHM to a 19-month-old boy, a very VERY proud Army wife, a breast cancer survivor, and an avid knitter!
Right now I have quite a few projects in the works, including a Christmas stocking, a baby blankets with tons of Celtic knotwork cables, and another blanket just in the very beginning stages. :knitting:
So yeah...that's me!
Hiya! :whistle:

Jeremy
12-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Crystal.:hug:

AshleyP
12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Hello! I just recently learned to knit, only about 10 inches into my first scarf but already excited to start something new! :) This site is great - I've learned a lot already.

RuthieinMaryland
12-17-2008, 01:31 PM

Hi! :waving:

There's a great video on this site on binding off! Check it out and see if that doesn't help you end off on your piece! Just treat each stitch on the nails as though you were binding off from a needle!

Best of luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie :hug:

sewandfaux
12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Just wanted to say hi and thank you for generously sharing your time and knowledge. This forum has helped me to attempt knitting something other than a scarf. I completed my first hat (it needs some tweaking, but, it's still a hat - LOL), and am currently attempting another hat pattern. Next christmas, hats for everyone on my list!

This place ROCKS! I feel fortunate to have found it.

bruni

Lieuvena
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi! I'm Lieuvena. I've been knitting since June and have been lurking here since about July or August. I have learned a lot from this site and the videos and decided it was time to delurk!

I have been mostly knitting dischclothes and hats. I recently began my first sweater (a baby sweater) and have been trying to teach myself entrelac (that's going OK). I'm hoping to try socks soon. I'm pretty fearless when it comes to trying new things and like to jump right in.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community.

Shandeh
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Welcome to KH everyone! :heart: :hug: :heart:

You ROCK, Lady! You even know things about things you don't do!.......:teehee: :hug:
:muah:

whipstitch
12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi! I'm an intermediate-beginner knitter (does that makes sense?), married, 29, in Dallas, TX. I came here for the videos - LOVE the long-tail cast-on, btw, thanks for that - and stayed for the community. I look forward to getting to know everyone :)

noyogirl
12-19-2008, 02:58 PM
thank u for a great forum i ve been reading for about a month and everyone seems so friendly happy holidays to all Teena:muah:

WhenImSixty4
12-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Hello, all!

This site is a life saver! I'm still fairly new to knitting- I've been familiar with the concept and have worked basic stitches. I'm ready to move up to something a little more complicated (slowly but surely, right?) but I'm taking my time. Nothing ruins a good craft like rushing through it! And this site is an excellent companion. Now I don't have to wait till I see my knitting friend at work to ask her (again) to explain a stitch or ask another silly question- this site has it all! The video demonstrations are the best!

Michaele
12-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi, I'm 18 and a beginner. I hope this site will help me improve my skills. I've already knit my first scarf, and I'm debating what kind of project I should tackle next. Any suggestions?

jimmersgal
12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Hi Everyone,
First time in this forum, so please bear with me.
My mom has been knitting a type of slipper for years.
She uses two different colors, makes squares which ultimately looks like treads. They are thick.
I'm trying to find a name and a pattern so I can duplicate. Unfortunately, my mom cannot articulate how to knit these slippers and I would like to learn so I don't forget this great family tradition of giving slippers each year to family and friends and to organizations (donations).
I hope I've been able to describe this slipper. When you put them on, they look like they have "treads".
PLEASE HELP
Thank you

jimmersgal
12-20-2008, 01:58 AM
It's really fun to make wash cloths. They make great gifts. I found "Grandmothers Favorite Wash Cloth" on this site. It's really easy and fun. Will help you read a pattern and it's ok to make mistakes.

jettm
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM
I have used this site many times when I started knitting and still come back when I need a touch up (like the I-cord). I thought I would join the forum because I am stepping out of my comfort zone of mittens and scarves. I look forward to learning more techniques with the help of the fabulous people on this site!:muah:

irenem
12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi.
I'm new to this site. Just found it and so far everything I've seen looks great. I'm not a natural knitter (unlike three generations before me), I'm more of a crocheter.
So, I need lots of help. Read/have tons of how-to books, but find the computer is quicker when I want to know/learn something.
Thanks for having this site available.
Irene

weskillian
12-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Hello! I am a "newbie" in every sense of the word! I have been knitting "boas" for a local annual girls' retreat weekend for a few years now, and that has been the extent of my knitting. I have a friend that just last week went with me to get me set up with knitting a sweater! I'm really excited about it, and have gotten off to a fairly good start (after a couple of do-overs), and now I'm struggling with understanding out to read the pattern.

One question: When it says "wrong side (WS)," does that imply that I do a purl row? I know that RS is pretty much the garter stitch, correct? I'm just unclear on how to do this....

I look forward to getting to know some of you! I'll get a picture on here soon, so you'll be able to put a face with my name!

Thanks,
Westleyan:heart:

crabtreerep
12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
good morning, having recently lost the 2 most fabulous knitters in my family, i inherited quite a bit of yarn and many needles. i'm happy to be back into knitting. i am following a pattern for a scarf.(cast on 25) after 6 rows the directions are to keep 1st and last 3 sts correct as set by first 6 rows, now work center 19 st. Does anyonne know what that means?

cyndimartinez50
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I was searching for How-To Knit Videos and found this site. I am overwhelmed with everything on it. My only concern is that I may start spending more time on the computer now than on the knitting - Is that possible???
I have a precious new granddaughter(Frist one!) born on Thanksgiving DAY - Gotta find cute knitting patterns now!

cyndimartinez50
12-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Hats knitted in the round are another easy skill to learn. My first one was for a child - Cast on 64 stitches, knit for 5 inches and then begin the decreasing. Pretty simple!

BigSis2
12-21-2008, 01:19 PM
BigSis2 here. My younger sister started an Etsy store last January with her crafts, and in order to support her shop, I logged onto etsy.com and gave myself the name BigSis2 as a buyer, didn't know I could remain annonymous and buy from her. Anyway, once I checked out etsy.com I decided to open my own shop ... then discovered in the fine print that my username was my shop name and it CANNOT BE CHANGED. So my etsy store is BigSis2 and I'm stuck with it. My little sister has two big sisters.

I've been knitting since I was 16. Most of my items, I wore or threw in the trash after being in the closet for many decades. I quit knitting for about 30 years, I hate unfinished projects. Last year I gave myself permission to make mistakes, pull out all of my stitches and start over, etc. I think finally getting a granddaughter changed me!! First I made a shawl for my daughter-in-law that actually turned out (after blocking). Then I made a baby sweater (hoodie) that actually matched the guage.

I bit the bullet early 2008 and made a sweater coat for my daughter-in-law from Patons SWS Earth. It was awesome.

Then I discovered knitting and felting handbags and never looked back. I have a blog www.3knittingsisters.com (http://www.3knittingsisters.com) and a store www.BigSis2.etsy.com (http://www.BigSis2.etsy.com)

azwannabe
12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
You can buy a wonderful gadget at knitting stores that measures needles, both knitting and crochet. It is also a small ruler for measuring gauge. Don't know what I would do without it!

Azwannabe

mgmd
12-21-2008, 11:39 PM
This is a great site and I'm looking forward to getting some help with my questions:yay:

Gertie
12-21-2008, 11:50 PM
This is a great site and I'm looking forward to getting some help with my questions

Oh yeah. You've come to the right place. There's some fantastic people here. Someone will know the answers.

Welcome to the family.

sandy333
12-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi,
I became interested in knitting again after looking for fall scarves and not finding a thing I liked. I thought to myself " why not just make my own"!! I haven't knitted in years, and have forgotten a great deal, but I do enjoy it. I was never an "experienced" knitter, but this seems a great resource for learning more. Thanks,
Sandy333

cclsr97
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Hello All....
I am a VERY VERY newbie to knitting, and so I went to the store thinking, since I know how to crochet, and cross stich, that knitting should be "easy".....wrong......thus I join the forum.....

I picked a sailboat baby blanket pattern because I have a new nephew and wanted to make it for him for Christmas, (and the book said it was easy for beginners) but I am a little confused as to how to change colors in the middle of a row. I am supposed to slip stitches the change color and knit a few stitches, then go back to the other color and slip a few more and then change again and knit a few more and so on. I don't want knots every few stitches, and I don't want loos yarn loops on the back, how do I do it?

Sincerely confused,

Carol

Jeremy
12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Carol
Have a look in the videos section on changing colors. Amy has some very good ones on that subject.

MissInRed
12-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum and also knitting (Only been knitting for about 4 days now). I just decided that one day I would like to knit and so I did. I managed to learn some from a book and from this site but I have plenty of questions. This is a great site glad I found it though :D

Jeremy
12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone:hug:

septfest
12-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie, here and at knitting. My mom taught me how to knit when I was a kid, but I never took it seriously, I know how to knit and purl and thats about it. But I had just recently gotten into it, and mace a simple scarf for my boyfriend. I am currently working on my very first hat, and trying to figure out how to decrease stitches and do other fancy things :). I will probably be posting a lot asking a bunch of silly questions on how to knit :P. I'm 25 and live in Ohio, but I'm russian by origin. Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and I think this site is very helpful, I especially like the videos. :)

lmconn63
12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Hello, I am new here. I have thought about taking up knitting for a while now... and finally I just jumped in a bought some yarn and needles and a book "Stitch 'N Bitch". I had the help of Sonya who owns and works at the Yorkshire Yarns down the street. She has a beginners class on Mondays which I will be joining once the holidays are calmed down... but for now I am attempting to knit a scarf (a very simple scarf) for my daughter.
I have looked on this site a bit... found some very helpful hints. So far so good. I look forward to chit chatting with some of you and learning a lot.
Lisa :knitting:

dustinac
12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
:hug: Welcome to KH!!

septfest~No such thing as a silly question, if you need any help just ask!

lmconn63~Can't wait to see your scarf!

yarnforward
12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Just a little note to say hello to everyone and to wish you a very happy holiday! Glad to be on board!

beccg
12-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi, my name is becca, I am new to the knitting world:woot: It is very exciting, I am hoping to make some new knitting friends, and actually learn how to knit. So thanks for making this site!

yarnspirit
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello everyone. I just found this site yesterday and not a minute too soon. I started knitting in November. Just want to wish you all Season's Greetings for whichever way you celebrate. I hope to get to know many of you out there.:waving:

Yours in knitting,

mommomd1998
12-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Amy,

This is a great site. I just started to learn knitting and I am also left handed. I am one that does not give up that easy so I am determined to learn this craft. I taught myself how to crochet with books so I know I can do this especially with the videos. They are awesome! Thanks again!

RandiBrown
12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Hello! My name is Randi, I'm 25, married to my best friends we've been together 8 years, married 7. We have two boys, Kendahl who's 4 1/2 and Hunter who's 2. I have TONS of hobbies. My newest of which is knitting. I just started today! I found this forum through a google search and thought that it would be great for a gold mine of information and help and friendly people! TY for letting me join!

Shandeh
12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum! You're gonna love it.
:hug:
My mom has been knitting a type of slipper for years.......I'm trying to find a name and a pattern so I can duplicate.
You'll find lots of slipper patterns here (click link):
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/slippers.php

One question: When it says "wrong side (WS)," does that imply that I do a purl row? I know that RS is pretty much the garter stitch, correct? I'm just unclear on how to do this....
If you're knitting in stockinette stitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stockinette.jpg)(knit one row, purl the next), the right side will be the knit stitch side, and the wrong side will be the purl stitch side.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/3131838933_1d336aa24e.jpg

If you're knitting in garter stitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Garterstitch.jpg), you'll be knitting every row. You'll determine the wrong side if you make a color change, because there will be a "pretty" side where the color change looks nicer.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/3132665712_74fc7f24ab.jpg

i am following a pattern for a scarf.(cast on 25) after 6 rows the directions are to keep 1st and last 3 sts correct as set by first 6 rows, now work center 19 st. Does anyonne know what that means?
I'm not sure what it means myself, but if you post your question to the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of our forum, you'll get lots of answers! :thumbsup:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

I have a precious new granddaughter(Frist one!) born on Thanksgiving DAY - Gotta find cute knitting patterns now!
Congratulations! :cheering:
You'll find lots of baby patterns here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby.php

I picked a sailboat baby blanket pattern because I have a new nephew and wanted to make it for him for Christmas.........but I am a little confused as to how to change colors in the middle of a row.
If you post your question to the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, you'll get lots of answers. Good luck! :wink:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

knitandpurl520
12-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I am new on the KHF. It is wonderful, and has provided me with so much help already!

-knitandpurl520

bf1018
12-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi,
I have been knitting for many years, but now am retired and find I actually have time to really do some serious knitting and quilting. It is amazing to me how informative this web site is and you can actually communicate with other knitters without leaving your home.

I am very exited and look forward to knitting with you..

CEK

mizzprice
12-25-2008, 03:18 AM
I love love LOVE this site! :muah:

I've discovered that I'm a visual learner as opposed to learning through reading and the videos on this site make everything look so simple. I was always intimidated by knitting but now I see stuff and I'm like $15?? PSSSHHH I could make that!! LOL.

I'm so glad you guys are here, and I love the forums :) I'm sure I'll be around asking a million questions. I've got a 5 year old who loves when Mommy makes her stuff and an infant (10-20-08) who has no choice :teehee:

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys :grphug:

hehaed
12-25-2008, 07:49 AM
So I just signed up here on what I have found to be a wonderful site... :) The video's are fantabulous... Thanks :)

KnittingNat
12-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Welcome :hug: Amy's video's are really great and helpful and you'll find a very close-knit community here:teehee:

Marycat
12-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi
I bookmarked this site a while ago because I needed to videos for some questions I had.

I like the videos very much, it is so helpful. I also found out I was doing it right before, but lots of coaches got me confused.

I'm glad to know I'm not a total idiot :woohoo:

Mary

asmi
12-25-2008, 05:19 PM
hi ,,,
thanks for intorducing this useful website i am a beginner in knitting i hope it will also help me ,,,

asmi
12-25-2008, 05:49 PM
hi everybody and Marry Christmas ,,,,,,i am Asima from germany i found this site on google,,,i just want to say that its a very helpful site for all the knitters ,,, thanks for introducing it ,, ,,

Yarner
12-25-2008, 06:46 PM
A very nice site! I can't wait to learn more about knitting. I first learned to knit when I was 7 years old in 4H. Sooo it has been quite a few years ago. I've made mittens, hats, scarfs and afghans, but that is as far as I've gone. I would love to learn more. (I tried a sweater once, but I took so long doing it, that my gauge changed and one sleeve was three inches longer than the other -- I'm still debating on whether I also miscounted rows! :aww: ) Looking forward to trying new things and getting to know everyone.

CarlesTA
12-25-2008, 07:12 PM
found your site an looking forward to visiting regularly. Just learned to crochet an wanting to learn knitting..different world apart though.I am 55 Male an wanted to try for years and figured now or never..looking forward to learning lots her..OBTY..I am a Preacher and a newly wed of 7 months

Jeremy
12-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Welcome everyone.:hug:

HolisticMama
12-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I literally started knitting today! :woot:

I've learnt to cast on and the knit stitch, and I've created about 4 rows of utter nonsense. LOL But having fun getting used to the techniques.

Looking forward to getting to know some members and getting TONS of much needed help.

Shandeh
12-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome to our wonderful forum everyone! :hug:

Corinne
12-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Greetings from a snow shut-in Oregonian. I've always wanted to knit so I took advantage of our snow days and just started. What a great thing to learn! I love it!

I am having problems already and could definitely use some of your knowledge. I've mastered the long-tail cast on (thanks to the videos on here!) but can't figure out how to transition into the knitting process. Help!

Llola24
12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to take a minutes to introduce myself. I've been knitting for about 2 years now. All that I can knit are scarves and washcloths! :) The only stitch I know is the knit stitch...until today! Today I learned how to purl. Not sure why it took me so long to attempt the purl stitch, but it did. Now that I know two stitches, I thought I'd get a little more serious about my knitting. Though I enjoy it very much, the patterns, abbreviations, and changing of colors really intimidates me. I'm hoping with the encouragement and help from this group that I can overcome these fears and knit some very cool things!!

MrsAndreazzaKnits
12-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I've recently become obsessed with knitting and am eager to learn more advanced techniques. So far I have made a shrug with speed stix and a pair of baby booties. I am currently still working on a scarf that I notice now has a lot of errors, but it's pretty much just me practicing the garter stitch. You can see my projects on my website (listed in siggy). Not only do I want to learn how to make more advanced items, I am also attempting to learn continental knitting because it just looks so much for efficient for alternating knit and purl stitches for ribbing. My next project I have my eye on is this Sweater Dress. (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60555.html?noImages=0) I am nervous to purchase all the yarn and then screw it up though. I may have to stick to a few smaller things first before I try it....even though it says it is easy. I love all the videos on this site, they have been very informative and helpful! I'm so glad I stumbled across it!

Shandeh
12-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :muah:
I think you'll like it here. :)

.......I am having problems already and could definitely use some of your knowledge. I've mastered the long-tail cast on (thanks to the videos on here!) but can't figure out how to transition into the knitting process. Help!
Hi Corinne! :waving:
You're probably wondering how to start the first row of knitting. Just put the needle with all your cast on stitches in your left hand. Then learn the knit stitch, moving each stitch over to the right needle one by one as you stitch.

Amy has created some videos here on our website about the knit stitch that should help. Just go to this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch
Then, scroll down to Continental or English knitting to see the videos of the two different methods. She even has a video of a small project, so you can see her knitting in action on a few rows.

Just try the different methods to see which one is most comfortable for you. I prefer to knit English style, but other knitters like the Continental style.

Good luck with your knitting! :thumbsup:

datepalm
12-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi everybody I'm the beginner. I'm Vietnamese and my E is not good so I don't know much about the abbriviation.I hope you can help me. I think this web is very useful. Thank you!

Diane51
12-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I am new to this site and have just taught myself how to knit over the last week. I am working on what I hope will be a scarf. I have made mistakes, some I figured out why and fixed, some I am just not sure. I have learned how to change colors.

Homeschoolmummyx3
12-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Hello! I'm Regina from NWPA. I've been knitting for 3 years and I'm getting ready to venture forth in to things more than dishcloths. LOL :cheering: I've been reading and soaking up information and watching the videos here before beginning. I'm certainly excited to begin my first large scale project.

martikmills
12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Hello Everyone, My name is Marlene. I am a rather new knitter. I am glad this site exist. It has already helped!

Shandeh
12-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Welcome to all of you! :hug:
You should find lots of help and friendship here in our forum.

knitwityogi
12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the videos and good info. I'm a new knitter and meet with a group, the Knit Wits on Mondays. I've been working on a hat for my teenager and have gotten to the double points. All is not going well as I am having some trouble decreasing at the right time... Having fun trying!

briannah
12-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi:
I just started knitting over this past weekend as I bought myself knitting basics for Christmas. I live in Carlsbad, CA and am taking up knitting to have an alternative to sitting down with a book (which I do incessantly). I'm looking forward to actually producing something that looks recognizable. I have been having a great time and I really have enjoyed the videos and tips on this site.

Thanks so much!

librarianknits
12-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi
My name is Sandra. I learned to knit as a small child, lost interest when I attended university but returned to it when I had small children and in an even bigger way when the grandchildren began arriving. I still work fulltime and knitting is my way of decompressing. I found this forum when I was trying to remember how to measure my gauge swatch in 2x2 ribbing. I was pleased to know others had trouble deciding how much to 'slightly stretch' the swatch.
Cheers
Sandra

KnitTogether
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi there - I'm new (my name is Robin). I started out with crocheting about 30 years ago, picked up knitting about 10 years ago, and started doing some embroidery about a year ago. I find that the winter time is usually when I am more interested in my projects (good for keeping the legs warm on a cold winter day). I'm hoping to meet lots of fellow crafters and perhaps get some encouragement to get geared back up for some of my winter projects that I've started but are still in bags, on needles... It seems I love to start new projects, but tend to have too many going at one time and then I never seem to get as many finished (or finished as fast) as I would like sometimes! Well, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone!:)

ljfikes
12-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I have a question for SOMEONE!!! When felting, can I use clearquilting thread to attach pieces? I am just making little multicolored clutches right now, but when I use a pieceof my yarn to bind the sides, it is visible after felting on some colored sides... I figured IF I could use the clear thread, it would eliminate that issue, as well as beingless bulky... HELP!!! Thanks!!!

ljfikes
12-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey... If you miss the books, I listen to Audiobooks WHILE I knit!!! It is a SERIOUS addiction!!! :-)I am new at this too... just making goofy little clutches and cell phone sweaters... am hooked on felting, which makes all the ugly stitches look pretty for beginners like me!!!

momofthree
12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
I discovered this site while looking for some answers to questions about felting. I am at this moment felting my first knitted item ever -- a project bag that I made for a friend for Christmas! (Okay, so I'm going to give it to her a little late.)

I LOVE to knit. I have always enjoyed making things, and knitting relaxes me. I currently have a son (age 9), daughter (10) and so (16) at home, as well as a part time job, a dear husband, a big dog and a cat . . . so I have not gotten into difficult patterns where I have to focus for long periods of time!

I look forward to learning a lot from this site and from other knitters. Thank you for such a comprehensive and user friendly site!

Mom

accat3221
12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone I am a very new knitter I have problems with my gauge. How can this be helped.

JB4Knitting
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Greetings, fellow knitters and crafters! I hope to learn a lot in here and possibly make some new knitting buddies. :grphug:

Aside from knitting, I also enjoy my sewing machine and making stuff that doesn't require too many complications.:eyes:

I have at least 2 knitting issues which I will address in the "help" sections.

Glad to be here and HAPPY 2009!!!!!!!!!!!:balloons:

colbysmimi
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Hello Everyone,
I started knitting a 2 years ago to help pass time after a family tragedy. So far I completed a scarf, 2hats and a couple of dishrags. I also love to smock, embroider and quilt.
My next project will be a simple shawl.

Nora22000
12-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I live in the Bay area and love to knit and crochet sometimes, too. The knitters in my area are pretty adventurous, so I've seen or helped with lots of different types of projects. I am so looking forward to finding out whatever I can and helping wherever I can shed a little light on what's going on!:muah:

Breda
12-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Amy,
I love your site I am new to knitting,I have taken several classes and have never been able to get it. I recently took a class at "lovely yarns" in baltimore...and I got it. Thanks to Susan, she suggested that all of us new students go to your site. I was very reluctant because I am a hands on person.One night around 2 am I had a little problem and I wanted to fix it then and not have to go the next day to the shop. What a wonderful surprize to meet you and your lovely hands. What ever it was I got through it and I frequenly visit you when I am in trouble or want to learn something new. Thank you agian you are a angel. Thank you again and again.
Breda

77hummer
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm Rhonda, and am new to this site, as I have been knitting for years, but only know two afghan patterns. So needless to say, I knitt off and on, but think that I might be at the age that I really may be wanting to get into it more and more. I have been online searching for a good deal on yarn for my next afghan, and need some help please. I want something soft, durable, but not hard to work with. I see this "Lion Incredible"...
http://cgi.ebay.com/LION-BRAND-INCREDIBLE-YARN_W0QQitemZ120354362022QQihZ002QQcategoryZ98642 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
(copy and paste in a browser) and was wondering about it.

Thanks for any help!

valejandras
12-30-2008, 03:42 PM
i absolutely LOVE :heart: this site!!

i just started knitting a couple of months ago. went on meetup and met a great group of ladies there, then i found this site.... i'm so going to make this a life long hobby for sure!

thank you thank you thank you for the videos.

my most recent accomplishment was mastering the russian join... my word i don't think i'll ever be scared to do a scarf in cotton ever again.

i look forward to meeting some ladies on here.

peace be!

brendaray
12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi I'm so lost its not funny.. lol.. I've been knitting basic for many years. But I just learned how to bind off. I pick up knitting and put it down..But now I want to knit all the time. I can make scarfts just plain knit and basic.. But I have grandkids and I want to know how to make mittens. I bouhgt a loom thinking it would be easy for me.. I have bought some looms four that come in a bag the round ones and a few other ones..One is for mittens.. I would like to start making dishcloths on the loom can anybody help me or lead in the right direction..Plus how to get around here..lol..Brenda

Shandeh
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:

I have a question for SOMEONE!!! When felting, can I use clearquilting thread to attach pieces? I am just making little multicolored clutches right now, but when I use a pieceof my yarn to bind the sides, it is visible after felting on some colored sides... I figured IF I could use the clear thread, it would eliminate that issue, as well as beingless bulky... HELP!!! Thanks!!!
I would not use clear quilting thread if I were you. The thread would probably stick out of the seams, because it won't shrink like the wool when it's felted. You should use the same yarn for the seaming that you used for the knitting of the bag. Then, it will match perfectly. Good luck!
......I have been online searching for a good deal on yarn for my next afghan, and need some help please. I want something soft, durable, but not hard to work with. I see this "Lion Incredible"...
Hi Rhonda. I would not recommend Lion Incredible for an afghan. It is a ribbon yarn that works well for summer tops and shawls. Afghans turn out best if you use wool or acrylic yarn. If you're on a budget, I would recommend Vanna's Choice or Lion Wool-ease or even Red Heart Super Saver. Those three yarns would hold up well for an afghan, and would wash and dry well.
.........I have grandkids and I want to know how to make mittens. I bouhgt a loom thinking it would be easy for me.. I have bought some looms four that come in a bag the round ones and a few other ones..One is for mittens.. I would like to start making dishcloths on the loom can anybody help me or lead in the right direction..Plus how to get around here..lol..Brenda
Here is a beginner knitting pattern to make mittens with two needles:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-mittens.html

And here are some patterns for a knitting loom:

If you want to learn how to use the forum, I would recommend just going to the main page - HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/). There are different sections of the forum that you might enjoy. "Whatcha Knitting" is a place where we all talk about our latest projects. "How To Questions" is where you should post your questions, or look for answers. "General Knitting" is for general discussion about knitting, yarn, patterns, and stuff. "Crochet" is for crocheters. "Creating Yarn" is for spinners.

Just click the different sections, and start reading. It will make sense the more you use it. Good luck and welcome to the forum! :)

brendaray
12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:

I would not use clear quilting thread if I were you. The thread would probably stick out of the seams, because it won't shrink like the wool when it's felted. You should use the same yarn for the seaming that you used for the knitting of the bag. Then, it will match perfectly. Good luck!

Hi Rhonda. I would not recommend Lion Incredible for an afghan. It is a ribbon yarn that works well for summer tops and shawls. Afghans turn out best if you use wool or acrylic yarn. If you're on a budget, I would recommend Vanna's Choice or Lion Wool-ease or even Red Heart Super Saver. Those three yarns would hold up well for an afghan, and would wash and dry well.

Here is a beginner knitting pattern to make mittens with two needles:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-mittens.html

And here are some patterns for a knitting loom:

If you want to learn how to use the forum, I would recommend just going to the main page - HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/). There are different sections of the forum that you might enjoy. "Whatcha Knitting" is a place where we all talk about our latest projects. "How To Questions" is where you should post your questions, or look for answers. "General Knitting" is for general discussion about knitting, yarn, patterns, and stuff. "Crochet" is for crocheters. "Creating Yarn" is for spinners.

Just click the different sections, and start reading. It will make sense the more you use it. Good luck and welcome to the forum! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for your kind welcome and now I'm off to learn more.. Thanks again..
Blessings Brendaray

Shandeh
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
You're welcome! :hug:
We're called "Knitting Help" for a reason. :thumbsup:

brendaray
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
You're welcome! :hug:
We're called "Knitting Help" for a reason. :thumbsup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
U got that right..I've been to the two links already.. And the one with the loom I just couldn't believe my eyes on the patterns..and the one for the mittens either.. Thanks I'll be asking lots of questions.. Brendaray(Big Hugs)

sgtpam
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
U got that right..I've been to the two links already.. And the one with the loom I just couldn't believe my eyes on the patterns..and the one for the mittens either.. Thanks I'll be asking lots of questions.. Brendaray(Big Hugs)

Welcome! I used the loom this year to make hats and they were a big hit! :cheering:

Here's a few more loom sites for you to try. I haven't tried mittens yet..but, they're on my list!

http://www.loomknittinghelp.com/
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/looms.html

The hat pattern I used is called Horizontal Striped Hat. You'll find it in the freebies on this site.
http://www.loomknitting.com/

Have fun!:knitting:

Mary Erlain
12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, I'm Mary and I'm new to the site and am writing to introduce myself. I hope that I'm doing this right. I've been knitting for several years and only recently have begun to try harder projects. I am also trying to get better at correcting mistakes and relaxing my grip on the needles more when I knit. I live in the Midwest and many of my friends have scarves knitted by me keeping them warm this winter.
Thanks for the useful info and have a great day.

SheehanCreations
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm thinking this is an old or European pattern.... your pattern probably starts each row with a Knit 3 and ends with Knit 3... or something like that.... the wording means to keep the first and last three stitches the same on ALL rows... it keeps the sides from curling under.... Hope this helps... but would need to see the pattern... bj

brendaray
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Welcome! I used the loom this year to make hats and they were a big hit! :cheering:

Here's a few more loom sites for you to try. I haven't tried mittens yet..but, they're on my list!

http://www.loomknittinghelp.com/
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/looms.html

The hat pattern I used is called Horizontal Striped Hat. You'll find it in the freebies on this site.
http://www.loomknitting.com/

Have fun!:knitting:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you and I'm off to check the links out.. Did you find it easy to do?Thanks so much..
Blessings Brenda

sgtpam
12-30-2008, 09:58 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you and I'm off to check the links out.. Did you find it easy to do?Thanks so much..
Blessings Brenda

Absolutely...I haven't done much but easy so far. I made 3 large adult (red, white and blue for dad), 3 small adult and 5 child size for great-nieces & nephews, and one small for a teddy bear. I forgot to take pictures, but if I get them, I'll post in "what 'cha knitting" thread later.

I hope to learn the loom purl stitch next year.

brendaray
12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Absolutely...I haven't done much but easy so far. I made 3 large adult (red, white and blue for dad), 3 small adult and 5 child size for great-nieces & nephews, and one small for a teddy bear. I forgot to take pictures, but if I get them, I'll post in "what 'cha knitting" thread later.

I hope to learn the loom purl stitch next year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow that's a lot..looking forward to seeing them.. Thanks..Blessings Brendaray

Juney
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Hello, everyone! I am new to the forum, but not to knitting. I learned to knit almost 20 years ago from a wonderful German lady and a knitting group. Over the years I have knitted off and on, making a couple of sweaters...lots of scarves, etc. I joined the forum because I read some of your posts and everyone seemed so friendly, open and helpful! I have not found a knitting group in my area, so I thought I would find one in cyberspace! Let's face it...knitting is glorious, but it is even better when you have someone to share your love with!:heart: I wish everyone a happy New Year!

brendaray
12-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Hello, everyone! I am new to the forum, but not to knitting. I learned to knit almost 20 years ago from a wonderful German lady and a knitting group. Over the years I have knitted off and on, making a couple of sweaters...lots of scarves, etc. I joined the forum because I read some of your posts and everyone seemed so friendly, open and helpful! I have not found a knitting group in my area, so I thought I would find one in cyberspace! Let's face it...knitting is glorious, but it is even better when you have someone to share your love with!:heart: I wish everyone a happy New Year!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
WELCOME! I'm also new.. Happy New Year back to you!
brendaray

nandrarr
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Amy, have introduced myself gotten my password etc. But can't post any guestions. Need help with a mitten pattern. Am new and teaching myself to knit. Got the stockinette and 6 rows of k1 row Pearls 1 row but now they say right increase ,K2 and left increase. Am stuck

jilly722
12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone! The videos are great. I started knitting many years ago but only learned the basics (knit and purl). I stopped for many years while my children were growing up and now that I have more time, I'm interested in learning more.
I do have one question though. Maybe somone can help me? I'm knitting my first project, a scarf, and the edges are curling. I'm not knitting especially tight, so what's the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks for any answers!

Jeremy
12-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Amy, have introduced myself gotten my password etc. But can't post any guestions. Need help with a mitten pattern. Am new and teaching myself to knit. Got the stockinette and 6 rows of k1 row Pearls 1 row but now they say right increase ,K2 and left increase. Am stuck

Welcome to the forum. To post questions, just go to the appropriate part of the forum eg How to or Pattern help, press the button for new thread and enter your subject and question. To answer your question, different increases slant either to the right or to the left. For instance, a ssk or slip slip knit goes to the left, a kttog (knit two together) goes to the right. If you look in the video part of the site you'll see an example of different increases with videos on how to do them. Good luck

Jeremy
12-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone! The videos are great. I started knitting many years ago but only learned the basics (knit and purl). I stopped for many years while my children were growing up and now that I have more time, I'm interested in learning more.
I do have one question though. Maybe somone can help me? I'm knitting my first project, a scarf, and the edges are curling. I'm not knitting especially tight, so what's the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks for any answers!

Here you go Jilly
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32810

This is a sticky at the top of the How to questions section of the forum.

ruthknit
01-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Hi, I found this site last night while I was browsing for a knitalong, I've been knitting for a while but I've never tried a KAL before.

brendaray
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi, I found this site last night while I was browsing for a knitalong, I've been knitting for a while but I've never tried a KAL before.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Welcome.. I'm also new.. I have lots to learn.. blessings brendaray

sgtpam
01-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Welcome; this is the right place! We have KALs for every occasion...or no occasion:teehee:

Some for charity, some for ourselves or friends and some just for fun:happydance:

HAPPY NEW YEAR
:woohoo:

tassels
01-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I've never been in a forum before, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.
Guess I'm giving my generation away! I'm recently retired and my New Year's resolution is to finally learn to knit.

I can use all the help that I can get! I don't even know what kind of needles or yarn to purchase.

I remember hearing, and I don't remember where, that some needles are easier to use for beginners. Was it bamboo?

I'm so happy to have found this forum. It looks like fun!

Marria
01-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi tassels! :waving:

This is a great environment for learning how to knit. Don't hesitate to post your questions in the how-to forum. :)

What kind of needles you should get kind of depend on the yarn you are starting with. Bamboo is good if the yarn is really slippery because it prevents the stitches from sliding right off the needle. I think though, you might want to try aluminum needles to start with. If you post your question in the How-to forum, you'll get all kinds of good advice.

Happy knitting!

GymAngel
01-01-2009, 05:41 PM
hello, my friends call me GymAngel because I love to workout and I do healing work. I have only been knitting for 3 weeks and I love it. I have made 3 scarves and I am ready for something a little more challanging. Maybe like a short wrap, like a cloak type . Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks so much,
GymAngel

MMCGEE80
01-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for having this Web site. I am truly a beginner knitter even though I've been knitting since 3rd grade. Our grade school teacher had knitting be our art project for a few months. I need help with mixing purl and knit stitches and following a knitting pattern. I think once I have those down, I'll be good to go.

Ticris
01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
:muah: To Amy for creating this wonderfully informative website. I was able to finish my very first knitting project today with the help of a video. I've known how to crochet since school but never did learn knitting. My Christmas present to myself this year was a one on one knitting class. The best hour and a half I've had in a VERY long time. It was the most relaxing (yes my cell phone was off) and rewarding time after a very stressful month. A couple of days ago, I stumbled on this site and quickly added it to my favorites. I am confident that with this site I will learn a lot.

Again, :woohoo: to Amy and all of you who make this site so special.

Frankenberg
01-01-2009, 10:02 PM
My New Year's Resolution was to learn how to knit--so I started today. I bought a beginning knitting book and was so confused, but thanks to your videos, I have knitted all afternoon! I only have down the cast on stitch and the knit stitch! I am tacking the purl stitch tomorrow! My poor index finger is so tender!
Thank you for your informative site! I am excited to stitch tomorrow!:woohoo:

Audrey79
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I've been trying to learn to knit for awhile now. My sister has been knitting forever and I enlisted her help. As I only see her once a year or so, the lessons have been few and far between. I felt confident enough this past summer to buy some yarn to start a baby blanket for my daughter who was trying to have a baby. Well, mission accomplished for her, and I'm under the gun to produce this blanket by next July. I have casted on - well, I've lost count. I'm getting pretty good at that. I'm using circular needles and I can cast on and knit the first row, but then I inevitably mess up. The first time, I didn't turn the needles around and actually knitted what I thought was the third row before I realized there wasn't a beginning or end to the blanket. The next time, I realized the whole thing looked funny and after sending a picture to my sister, was told that I wasn't moving the yarn between knit and purl stitches. Started over again. I've casted on and knit the first row and am hoping I can knit and purl this next row. I'm determined to learn how to do this. It is so much fun when I'm actually knitting instead of trying to figure out what I did wrong. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Greystone
01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Everyone

I really have no idea if I'm doing this right or not, but here goes anyway.
First of all, I'm delighted to find this website. Sooooo informative and helpful. I'm returning to knitting after some time away from it, and I can surely use any help I can get. Funny how you forget things, huh? ;)

So I'm just looking forward to hangin' out with all of you and picking up some tips and know-how.

Love the pictures of your pets!

yippindogs
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm frantically trying to finish a sweater....I would consider myself an intermediate knitting, depending on the pattern. Here's one were I'm doing an armband in seed st and not binding off....it says:

cut enough yard to go around armhole 4 times, WHIPSTICH each st loosely in place covering the picked-up sts.

I know what a WHIPSTICH is....but how to I do that with the stitches still on the needles?

Help & THANK YOU all!!

yippindogs

yippindogs
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
i wouldn't knit / purl a blanket....your edges are going to turn up no matter how long you leave it blocked.....just my opinion

kimkrafty
01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello!

My name is Kimberly. I'm new to the forums but have been to the site many times to look at the videos of techniques.

I'm looking forward to using the forums and getting to know people here.

jenross30
01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Hello,
I am new to knitting and found this site very helpful. I finally learned how to cast on after 3 hours and a numb finger. This website is much more helpful than any book I have read. thanks.
Jenross30

Ticris
01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I would like to know the differences in use for circular needles vs straight or double ended needles. I'm new to knitting and any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Joanie
01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I first thought of knitting three years ago when my parents came to live with us. My mother, has dementia and macular degeneration (now legally blind), use to knit and crochet everything! She tried to teach me as a child, however I only mastered adding and dropping stitches. With the help of this site, I was able to learn and now feel I am very good at it. So much so, I am starting a sweater for me. At first if did little projects, but tried to incorporate something new in each project. I wish this was something my mother could do with me. I know she would be proud of me now. My only advise to a new knitter is try and try again, it's worth it! http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hdrumhead
01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
This is my first time on and am amazed at all there is to find out. Have been knitting again after a 30 year hiatis and love doing things for my grandchildren. Re my name. The Helen name was taken so I used drumhead along with it. I used to teach band and of course drummers. Have already used 2 of the videos to help me get going.
Happy to be here.
:wink: :woot:
Helen

Ingrid
01-03-2009, 01:06 AM
I would like to know the differences in use for circular needles vs straight or double ended needles. I'm new to knitting and any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Straight needles are used for knitting flat objects.

Circular needles can be used for any flat-knit projects as well as knitting in the round--a tube--for sweater bodies, as an example. The length of the cord is important, because that determines how many stitches you can fit around. For example, you can't knit a 20-inch hat on a 32-inch needle. However, there are a few techniques that allow you to use longer circulars for shorter patterns.

Double Pointed Needles (DPN's) are used for knitting small diameter objects in the round--socks are probably most common.

Mydnight
01-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Wow, I often have trouble remembering how to do certain stitches and I am so glad that I found this site. I generally knit whenever I have a problem in my head, so I am really happy to not have to search to find the really simple stuff anymore. Thank You!!

Now about me: I am a 26year old House mom in Washington. I am owned by 3 cats, one snake, and I have a most wonderful fiance. I am looking into beginning to create my own yarns and spinning so that I don't spend quite so much at the yarn barn near me. I love to listen to audio books while I knit and most everyone enjoys wearing whatever I happen to come up with. I rarely follow patterns exactly as I am always wondering "Well, what would it look like if I just..." so sometimes my kid gets mad since it doesn't look exactly like the picture. I just spent until 6am on Christmas finishing up a few projects I had around, cause with the economy right now, I had left everything until the last minute as usual.
I am a really good listener, and I try to help people when I can. That's about it for me. I figure if you can help, why not? So that's me in a nutshell.
Thanks again for the great site!!

cltsharp
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Hello,
I am so happy to have found this website. I live in a very small town with not many knitters.

I found the website while searching online for a way to identify what a yarn without a label might be made of.

I am really

I have some chenille yarn with no label and have sufficient quantity to make a sweater. The pattern uses Touch Me chenille yarn and the finishing directions say to wash the sweater and then dry it and it turns into a luscious piece. The pattern is in Sally Melville's Book 1 The Knit Stitch. I haven't made it out of this book since I started knitting 2 years ago. Lots of scarves!

I looked up Touch Me yarn online and it is 72% viscose and 28% wool.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find out what the composition of the yarn I have is? I would hate to spend so much time working on my 2nd sweater that would end up only fitting a Barbie!***
Thanks!
CT

searoses
01-03-2009, 11:27 AM
:aww: I'am 50 years old and I think I've been knitting since before kindergarden...my mom made me a knitting knob so I would leave her knitting alone :aww: I married to a good man...and we have..3 dogs, 2 cats and a mess of chickens...I came here because I'm looking for a discontinued yarn...red heart wintuck Mardi Gras...I bought it on ebay and hadn't realized until my piece was more then half finished...that I could easily get more...HELP!!! if any one can:knitting: :yay:

Shandeh
01-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:

...........I am ready for something a little more challanging. Maybe like a short wrap, like a cloak type . Any suggestions would be appreciated
You'll find lots of knitting patterns for wraps here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/shawls_stoles.php
I need help with mixing purl and knit stitches and following a knitting pattern. I think once I have those down, I'll be good to go.
When doing knit and purl stitches on the same row, just remember to have the yarn in the back of the stitch for knit stitches, and bring the yarn to the front to do the purl stitches.

So, if you're knitting a combination like K1, P1, K1, P1, it would be like this: Knit 1 stitch, bring yarn to the front, Purl 1 stitch, take yarn to the back, Knit 1 stitch, bring yarn to the front, Purl 1 stitch. Get the idea?

........My poor index finger is so tender!
Poor thing! You're probably pushing the stitches off the needle with the end of your finger. You might want to get a packet of Thimble-Its. They are little pads that stick on the sore spots. Here's a link to see what I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-Thimble-It-Finger-Pads-64-Pkg/dp/B0001DUKAQ

......I've casted on and knit the first row and am hoping I can knit and purl this next row.
Good luck! Just remember to move the yarn to the back for knit stitches, and to the front for purl stitches.

I'm frantically trying to finish a sweater....I would consider myself an intermediate knitting, depending on the pattern. Here's one were I'm doing an armband in seed st and not binding off....it says:
cut enough yard to go around armhole 4 times, WHIPSTICH each st loosely in place covering the picked-up sts.
I know what a WHIPSTICH is....but how to I do that with the stitches still on the needles?
Help & THANK YOU all!! yippindogs
You'll get lots of help if you post this question in the "How To" section of the forum. Good luck! :thumbsup:

........I have some chenille yarn with no label and have sufficient quantity to make a sweater. The pattern uses Touch Me chenille yarn..........Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find out what the composition of the yarn I have is? I would hate to spend so much time working on my 2nd sweater that would end up only fitting a Barbie!***Thanks! CT
Most chenille yarn is made with acrylic or polyester, so it won't behave the same as Muench "Touch Me". That particular yarn feels like butter....slippery as silk. You really would need to go to a yarn shop that carries it, so you can feel it for yourself. It's called "Touch Me" for a reason. SO soft.

I'm not sure if your chenille yarn would work the same, so you'll just be experimenting if you try to make the sweater with it. I would be afraid to take a chance myself, because regular chenille yarn is a PAIN to knit with. Good luck!

...........I'm looking for a discontinued yarn...red heart wintuck Mardi Gras...I bought it on ebay and hadn't realized until my piece was more then half finished...that I could easily get more...HELP!!! if any one can:knitting: :yay:
You might find it on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com). There are lots of people there with many different yarns in their stash. You have to sign up to join, but it's definitely worth it. It's a free site, and I use it every day.

EverydayCrochet
01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello, my name is Theresa and as you can tell from my username I am a crocheter. My grandmother taught me to crochet over 20 years ago and I love it!

I have wanted to learn to knit but honestly have heard from many people that do both (crochet and knit) that they prefer knitting and that sort of worried me. I don't want to lose my l:heart: for crocheting. If that makes sense.

I decided to teach myself how to knit after visiting a beautiful shop in Minnesota where they had many knitted items on display. Then I stopped in a smaller store where there was a group of ladies knitting and they so graciously sat me down at their table and helped me to start.

So far everything I've tried is looking pretty pathetic. I also seem to have trouble getting my needles to do what I want them to do. I am sure this will get better with practice though. :knitting:

Shandeh
01-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Welcome to knitting! :hug:
You'll love it, and your projects will get better and better. Just like they did with crochet.

knittiminx
01-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Just a quick intro, as i do need to get some help in a minute! lol

My name is Sophie, and I taught myself to knit continental style from this site a few years ago now, haven't needed to post on the forums before as have been mainly sticking to very simple things :) Love the site, hugely helpful directions and just the best resource for knitting i've found...

So after many years of scarf's, socks and mittens, have decided to make a baby jacket for a friend's new baby, and have been completely stumped by the pattern! So hopefully if i can finish this (with a little help!), I will be able to keep moving on to bigger and better things!

hope there's someone about!
thanks, soph

replicaspurses
01-04-2009, 08:06 AM
great site
Thanks so much for creating this site!

jojo290759
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
hi, i'm new to the site but you could say an old knitter as i used to knit all my kids jumpers and cardi's but they'v all grown up now, so i just knit for myself so hi everyone jojo xx:knitting:

ReaderGirl
01-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Enjoying the site, forums and videos so far! Just found it a few hours ago and it has already proven useful - sometimes all I need is to know for certain that I am remembering something correctly! ;)
About me:
I am a 30 year old woman who, after a long break due to a heavy work schedule, has recently (2 months ago apx) returned to knitting and sewing. I am enjoying it a great deal and it is nice to have a place to remind myself of how to do all the stitches and styles etc.
Thanks for the site, I am looking forward to exploring more!

chaussielab
01-04-2009, 11:55 AM
:muah: Love the site!:heart:

aliloveland
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm from St. Louis, MO. Just started knitting about 4 months ago. I crocheted for about three months a few years ago. I only learned one stitch and made the same scarf over and over. Now with the knitting I've been much more motivated to learn new things. So far I've made scarves, hats, neck warmers, a beaded purse that is WIP and am making the Big Foot Bunny from Knitted Toys (Zoe Mellor) right now. I've also made some cable swatches. I am totally addicted!!!!:muah:

holly-davis
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I guess I should introduce myself! My name is Holly and I've been a member here for over a year! I've been lurking around and using this wonderful site. I learned to knit in junior high (mid '70's), quit and didn't pick it up again until Sept. 2007 when my Marine son was being deployed to Iraq. The mom's of his battalion were knitting scarves to send to the boys to keep them warm and I wanted to help - so I bought needles and yarn, found this website to re-teach me how, and got started. I had two months to knit as many scarves as I could, and I got 7 done. Boy, was I proud of myself.

Because of this website I felt like I could tackle harder projects, so I did, and I made almost all of my Christmas presents last year too!!

Thank you to the hosts of this website - I LOVE THIS PLACE!!

madmoo
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey all:
I love this site. I have wanted to learn to knit for years know and for xmas my husband bought me needles, DVDs and books to get me started. YEAH HIM!:happydance:
I have hust finished my first scarf in garter stitch and want to move on to making a watch cap, so I am sure I will be on the site frequently searching for the answers. So TIA to everyone.

Christine

kidpal51
01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I am new to this site. I am from NH and have been knitting for MANY years. I also justed joined the Oddball Baby Blanket group in the NE. My goal this year was to do some charity knitting, so here I go. Looking forward to investigating all that this site has to offer.:yay:
Brenda

knitfan
01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi all
I am new here. Love to knit but don't as much as I would like due to a chronic pain condition. I registered here to be able to keep myself informed and inspired when I can't knit. This is a great website.
Rene'

rastillman
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone!

I am new to knitting and to this site. At Thanksgiving, my cousin showed me how to cast on and knit, and since then I have taken a couple of books out of the library, and just finished my first scarf. I'm totally hooked on knitting!! I love the portability as compared with other crafts I do (quilting, jewelry). I am looking forward to learning LOTS of stuff here!

Ruth

sangashok
01-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi all!:)
It been a pleasure to be a member in my loving handicrafts work(knitting).Even this takes me to my school time where i spent more time and did some works.Im now trying bernat baby jacquards overall dress right now.im following the book instructions but still have some doubts.Luckly i saw the recent thread posted today( Jan 04 09) with the same pattern.i would like to get some help regarding it.hope i will make it

bye all
:thumbsup:

dustinac
01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
:hug: Welcome to KH everyone!!

Pegi
01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I just joined the Knitting Help forum!! I currently live in Syracuse, NY, and have been knitting and crocheting since I was a little girl. My mom taught me everything I know, and taught my best friend, who has become an expert knitter - surpassing me! There is one thing however, that I have stumped her on, so I'm here looking for help. She gave me for Christmas the book Son of Stitch 'n Bitch, and I would like to make the Uncle Argyle Scarf. I just don't know how to start it. When I follow the pattern, the wrong side doesn't look right. Can anyone give me assistance on how to start it? Thanks!!

julesbug
01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
My name is Juliet from MA. My sister taught me how to knit around Christmas-time and I had a nice long vacation from work so I decided to try a scarf pattern I had found. I started off with 39 stitches and when it was done, I had about 97! Thank goodness for sisters and for your thread on this site about how extra stitches are formed. For my next project I'll go a lot slower and be more careful.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to getting to know you all and reading all the great advice!

Juliet :knitting:

RoseL
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi my name is Rose and I have been knitting off and on for a few years. I still consider myself a beginner. I've only made hats and booties before.

I am hoping one day to have the courage to knit a cable sweater for a friend.

Hairycantknit
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
My first time as an actual user! I feel ready to join the real Knitters. OK does anyone have any tips on blocking? I've tried the damp cloth/steam iron and that doesn't work. I've got a cotton lace scarf and a mohair sweater on the needles that I'll be blocking soon. I'm lost!

yarncharmer
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi, I've been lurking here for a few weeks; it's such a great site! I've gotten lots of questions answered already, just by reading through posts and the tutorials. I just learned to knit in October and November in a class through my local Parks and Rec department. I love it! I've wanted to learn for years, and had tried to learn through books, only to conclude that I was knitting impaired. I'm so glad I finally took a class! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all...

Shandeh
01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :muah:
..........I'm here looking for help. She gave me for Christmas the book Son of Stitch 'n Bitch, and I would like to make the Uncle Argyle Scarf. I just don't know how to start it. When I follow the pattern, the wrong side doesn't look right. Can anyone give me assistance on how to start it? Thanks!!
I'll copy your question to the "How To" section. You're sure to get some help there. :)

........I decided to try a scarf pattern I had found. I started off with 39 stitches and when it was done, I had about 97!
Now, you know how to make a shawl! :) Just make the same mistake you were making with the scarf, and you'll end up with a big triangle. :thumbsup:

.......does anyone have any tips on blocking? I've tried the damp cloth/steam iron and that doesn't work. I've got a cotton lace scarf and a mohair sweater on the needles that I'll be blocking soon. I'm lost!
There are some good blocking tutorials online:
http://www.purlbee.com/blocking-tutorial/
http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2007/07/25/the-basics-of-blocking_2C00_-part-one.aspx

robkat317
01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I joined in November, but, I never introduced myself. I guess I should have done that before posting on the boards. Sorry about that!! I meant no disrespect, I'm basically clueless sometimes. =)

I really love this website!! I have learned so much about knitting by watching your videos and reading your glossary.

I'm 34 years old and live in New Jersey, USA with my husband and two miniature schanuzers, Otis and Peanut. I learned to crochet when I was 7 years old, but, I have only been knitting for two years. I've been watching your videos and using your glossary for about a year and a half and only noticed this past November that you had message boards!! (Did I mention that I was clueless?)

Along with knitting and crocheting, my other favorite hobbies are Fluke fishing and Hiking in New Jersey.

Thank you too eveyone here who maintains this wonderful site!!

SheehanCreations
01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Barbara here.... I'm a 61 yr. old girl... living in a retirement comm. in MA... I've been knitting and crocheting since I was about 14 for real... learned at about 9, but got into it big time when "my first boyfriend's" MOM opened her yarn shop right up the street from my home...the guy "dumped ME"... but his MOM and I became very close... I ended up helping her in the shop.. then working there until I had my first baby 8 years later!!!! She was brilliant and I learned so much from here... I now have little groups once a week where people here come to chat and learn... or just a little help.... All summer you can find me poolside with a project, so we call the Winter meet.. "The Pool Withdrawal Group"... !!:-P

I refer girls to on line video's for help when they are confused and they can't belive what's out here for free!!!! I too am so happy to see where the "net" takes us.... My reason for coming is that after gazing at a Christmas Stocking Pattern I found on the net by Nicky Epstein... I finally started.. it's a 2 needle pattern.. (that made it perfect for me).... but as I start "row 1" to enter the heel section... they just do not account for all the stitches.... I've some left.. so LSS.... I've come for help.... I know I can give a lot of help to beginners.... and hope someone will go to the site mentioned .. check it out and tell me if I'm wasting my time.... that is just WRONG.... I so happy to have found this place.... Barbara Johnson/SheehanCreations:happydance:

stndglss
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Howdy,

just joined today. Came in looking for help on knitting this thing with 4 colors. I just ripped it up for the second time... the intarsia video is just what I needed. I know need to start over again and do the buttefly thingies and then I guess there are hundreds of tails to weave in... this may be the last time I use so many colors. By the way, this is the first time I'm using so many colors....

I've been knitting about 4 years, I've made several projects, including some sweaters for myself. Many scarves, dishcloths, etc.

Right now I'm knitting a cuff-to-cuff sweater for myself besides the 4 color thing. The sweater was going great until I realized the second shoulder was down at the waist. If you've ever knit cuff-to-cuff you probably understand how this could happen... so I had to rip out 6 inches worth of knitting... oh well, ripping is a way of life.

I do love knitting. I also like beading, and stained glass (hence my user name).

Hope to have time to post once in a while. Also joined Ravelry today. My job keeps me in front of a computer all day long, so sometimes I just can't bring myself to turn on the computer at home.

Happy knitting to all of you out there!

Stndglss

alislim
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi there, I have just found this site and am really keen to get knitting!:woot:

I am not a real beginner but am awfully rusty.:)

I think I last knitted a jumper 15 years ago....:aww:

I hope if I get stuck I will find help here...

Looking forward to your useful tips.:teehee:

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all!!

Hannahcheek
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi:
Thanks for the welcome to knittinghelp.com.
I have a question about where to buy some yarn. I've started a sweater for my granddaughter but will run out for the sleeves. It's by Universal Yarn, Inc. It's called Classic Worsted Tapestry, color 7005, lot S4574. I need one ball. Does anyone know where I could find this yarn in Ontario, preferably or if not, then a place that would ship 1 ball to Canada without charging too much? Thanks so much.

Cocoabean
01-06-2009, 06:57 PM
New here. Just wanted to say hello. I am in southern California.

I have been crocheting for years. Am attemping, again, to learn to knit. I have completed a couple of basic projects. I finally seem to be 'getting it' as far as holding two needles instead of one hook.

I just posted a question on the how-to forum but wanted to introduce myself here.

I truly appreciate anyone who can look at a pattern and "see" how it should look. My mother could do that and helped me uncountable times when I was learning how to crochet.

Unfortunately, she is gone now and I lost my main craft "guru." :(

See you all around the forums!!

3StoryTeller
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm new to this group. Learned about you from a friend through a local knitting group. I look forward in getting to know you and learn more about knitting. I'm a huge fan of EZ. Hugs:happydance:

MaggieH
01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks Amy for providing a wonderful site for all knitters, new and old. I am a beginner and did a "Search" on knitting videos today and came across KH. Thank goodness too! I have learned so many new tips and techniques already. I am stuck on how to cast on with two strands throughout for a baby afghan that I want to make for two young grandsons. I finally learned how to K & P with one strand. Your long-tail cast on video is very helpful.

DJBug
01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
New here, and fairly new to knitting. I tried once when I was pregnant with my first son, but really couldn't figure it out with the pamphlet my mother-in-law had given me. Then about two years ago I had to teach my son (he was being home-schooled at the time and it was part of the curriculum we were using), so I picked it up again and muddled through and actually made my husband a scarf! Then nothing until this April when I found Kids Knitting (a great starter book) and have actually completed several projects--hat, scarf, doll with vest, even a patchwork blanket! I'm hooked! Waiting for my next order of supplies to come in to start another project. I'm sure I'll have questions soon...will be using circular needles to make a backpack and then a hat for my younger son.
Other than that, I live near Boston, MA with DH, 2 DS (7 and 3), a dog, a cat and a hamster; I work per diem (though you wouldn't know it by my 20-30 hour a week schedule LOL) as a nurse in Labor & Delivery at a local hospital. And the rest of my time is spent with the kids/family stuff/ housekeeping.
Looking forward to getting to know people and more knitting tips.
(Sorry this got so long, the kids are sleeping, so no one's bugging me for anything.....)
DJBug

wezyus
01-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi i am new here n this is my 1st post...i am from Mauritius, a beautiful tropical island in the Indian Ocean...i like knitting very much n wud happy to learn more n hope to be helped ...thanking u

Shandeh
01-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:

.....My reason for coming is that after gazing at a Christmas Stocking Pattern I found on the net by Nicky Epstein... I finally started.. it's a 2 needle pattern.. (that made it perfect for me).... but as I start "row 1" to enter the heel section... they just do not account for all the stitches.... I've some left
I just copied your question to the "How To" section. You'll probably get some help there.

I have a question about where to buy some yarn. I've started a sweater for my granddaughter but will run out for the sleeves. It's by Universal Yarn, Inc. It's called Classic Worsted Tapestry, color 7005, lot S4574. I need one ball.
You can probably get it from the Universal Yarn website:
http://www.universalyarn.com/

.........I am stuck on how to cast on with two strands throughout for a baby afghan that I want to make for two young grandsons.
You just hold both strands together the whole time you're knitting. It makes the yarn thicker. After a few stitches, you'll see how it works. Just be sure to knit each stitch into both strands when you start the next row, or you'll end up with twice as many stitches each row! :shock: Good luck.

cara16anna
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm just teaching myself how to knit so I've been (and plan to continue to) spending a lot of time here so I thought I'd registar so I could ask questions and contribute!

I've been crocheting for a couple years and have decided I need to add more to my 'to do' list by learning how to knit. ;)

I've officially knit my first wash cloth and am starting my first purse. So far so good!

I look forward to hanging out here and having your knitting knowledge rub off on me. :thumbsup:

aras1787
01-08-2009, 02:38 AM
I've never joined a forum but just had to join this one. I started knitting about a week ago and have just been obsessed. I tried learning from a book and was doing alright but still felt awkward holding the needles. I started looking for videos online so I could get an idea of what it should look like and luckily enough came across this site! It's helped so much and everyone on this forum seems so nice and helpful.

I'm still struggling through and doing my best trying to figure out getting a consistent tension and which style I like best but I love the whole process and am so glad I started.

This turned out to be a much longer post then intended but I just wanted to say hi and thanks! : )

NorthernIrelandKnitter
01-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Fellow Knitters,

I am Gillian (soft G) from Northern Ireland. I learned to knit as a child but had a several years long session away from the needles due to a wrist problem when my children were younger. A couple of years ago, having noticed how many knitting magazines were on the shelves in newsagents, I got the yearning back and decided to have a go again.

Unfortunately, I haven't completed anything, as I don't get much opportunity to knit, except when a passenger in the car, and apart from some mobile phone covers and a potholder, but am really enjoying being back into knitting.

On the needles at the moment I have a terracotta shrug, a mauve lacy cardigan and a dark blue cropped bolero vest. I decided I would concentrate on the shrug as that was the first thing I started after my return to knitting, but I have promised to knit dd a woolly hat and should really get that started before we run out of winter months.

Recently I read about double-knitting with 2 needles - that was how the phone pouches and the pot-holder were made - and loved the technique. Now I am trying to find other things I can make using the same technique.

Looking forward to getting to know people here.

Happy knitting!

Gillian

georgierat
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Hello,
I am new to this site. It is so cool.. I really don't know how to start a thread & have a patricular question.. PLEASE HELP!!!!

bbugg
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
browsing the internet looking for an easy lace cardigan and you turned up! happy to register and see where it takes me, love to knit but nothing complicated any longer!! Living in Singapore so no need for sweaters! happy knitting squares for washcloths, my next trip back to my home in the USA will include digging out my knitting needles etc and bringing them back with me, knitting by the pool could be a good thing!!

georgierat
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Greetings, fellow knitters and crafters! I hope to learn a lot in here and possibly make some new knitting buddies. :grphug:

Aside from knitting, I also enjoy my sewing machine and making stuff that doesn't require too many complications.:eyes:

I have at least 2 knitting issues which I will address in the "help" sections.

Glad to be here and HAPPY 2009!!!!!!!!!!!:balloons:

Where is the help section>?

kellybigeyes
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Click on FORUM at the top and then go to the How To Section. Hope this helps

dustinac
01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Hello,
I am new to this site. It is so cool.. I really don't know how to start a thread & have a patricular question.. PLEASE HELP!!!!

To start a new thread just pick the forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/)you need. There is a New Thread button posted right above the forum (right side), click on that and then you can enter in your question. If you need help just let us know :thumbsup:

dustinac
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
:happydance: Welcome to KH everyone!!

georgierat~I sent you a PM with info on the how to forum and moved your sock question there...if you have any questions, please ask :thumbsup:

snowknitter
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi, I'm a new recently hooked on knitting socks knitter. I was told it was addictive and it is. I still struggle with the first few rows in the round and making the gusset of the sock but I'm determined to knit socks till I get it. I'm really looking forward to reading posts and asking questions. :knitting: Snowknitter

kekumukula
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Aloha fellow knitters. I just started knitting last May. I've always been curious about it and tried learning from books but got bored and frustrated. Last year I decided to try a knitting class in my neighborhood and fell in love w/it. I'm still a bit intimidated w/patterns but I'm only knitting "birthday" scarves at the moment as I didn't start early enough for Xmas gifts for my family and am catching up w/IOUs. I've taken a seamless sweater class and will take a color knitting class next month; I'm really excited about that as I would like to design later on when I have more experience under my belt.

astitching
01-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I live about 1/2 hr. outside of Albany, NY. I enjoy knitting but certainly have my frustrations. One of my friends call me the "master ripper", I guess that's better than master stripper, LOL I enjoy knitting children's clothing and a few things for myself. I'm looking forward meeting many new people and having a place to come with my knitting questions.

Shandeh
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Welcome to all of you! You'll love the Knitting Help Forum.
:hug:

BCDEJones
01-09-2009, 12:16 AM
I began knitting a year ago and had an awesome LYS about 5 minutes away; about 2 mths ago my DH got a job transfer & it required us to move to a town with a pop. of 75 - no one knits! It's so rural the post office doesn't even deliver to us (thank goodness for UPS & FEDEX). Needless to say I have found it quite difficult to increase my knitting knowledge & find answers to my questions, so I THANK YOU for your wonderful site & all the resources it provides! ! ! !

aliciastitch
01-09-2009, 02:18 AM
This website was recommended to me by a friend. I look forward to learning how to knit. I tried it a few years ago and got so frustrated that I put it down and have never picked it up since. Thanks for the great resource! I am inspired to try again, And stick with it!

DebbieH
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Hello to everyone! I am new to this forum and want to introduce myself. I live in San Antonio and have been searching the internet for help with knitting and was so excited to find KnittingHelp.com. The church I attend is starting a prayer shawl ministry and I decided this was something I would like to be involved in. Just one catch, I have never knitted before...
I do know how to do several other types of needlework so I bought needles, an instruction book and some yarn yesterday. This morning I finished my first swatch of knitting, purling, & stockinette stitch and binded them off. I really like this, the rhythm of the needles is soothing. I know there is alot of "tinking" in my future but I am looking forward to this new journey. Does anyone have a "beginner" pattern for a lab afghan or shawl? I found a couple online but would love any suggetions you have.
Thanks so much.

Carlay0531
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello All,

I am new to the site, but have been knitting for a while on and off. I love needle crafts so I go between crocheting and knitting. Now because of this I get confused and forgetful when I come back. Now my problem is I have exhausted all my books for help. I found this site and I know you can help.

Here is my question. I'm making a shawl. Here is the pattern. K2, yo, K across. I do this until it's the size I want. The yo, is that the increase? I know this is probably pretty basic but I am confused.:teehee: Also it says bindoff using tapestry needle. Can someone point me to some instruction? I have never done that.

Carlay0531
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow,

In the time I was waiting to see if someone could answer my questions the site answered them for me. There was a video for each question I had. I am still looking for help the "bind off using tapestry needle" question.

cloud9

This site is great!!!!!

Cathie
01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to knitting, just started at Christmas after receiving my first set of needles, yarn and a book for a present from my nephew's girlfriend, who is also a knitter. I'm hooked! I love it!

I have a tendency to jump in with both feet when I learn something new so, I've already made a several practice swatches and half a dishcloth ( a stopped doing it because I wanted to make a scarf and hat set for my husband and son), and a small stocking cap in the round for my son, unfortunately I didn't make it tall enough for him but the circumference was right and the stripe looked nice, need to work on the jogless jog though.

I've since started the scarf for my son and it's going okay, I'm by no means great yet and do a lot of ripping out and starting over but hey, you can't learn if you don't try, right?! I'm doing less correcting everyday so I'm guessing that means I'm getting better!

I'm sure I'll have many questions for you all, as my dad has requested a hat, my son has requested an afghan and I'd like to make myself a shawl, an afghan and hopefully some socks.

I've learned SOOO much from this site already so THANK YOU to all those with expertise to share, us newbies really appreciate it! The videos were a godsend when I couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing wrong after my "niece" went home after showing me for about 5 min what to do.

So Nice to meet you all!

Sirikit
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
*waves* hello all,

Thanks in advance, I know this is going to be a huge help!

melredd
01-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi,
I'm Mel, Mother of three teenagers, assistant cook in the Auburn(WA) school district. I love coming home to rest in my chair and knit. I have been knitting off and on for many years but I'm recently getting better at it. I am close to intermediate on some projects...I find knitting soothing, peaceful and easier on the hands than crochet.

annlittle1
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi, my name is Phyllis. I just discovered this site today when I was trying to figure out "skp". I was delighted that I found a complete answer instead of just what the letters stood for. I learned to knit about 45 years ago, but I've only done it off and on. Mainly I made hats and a few scarves. Recently, I discovered sock knitting and I really am enjoying it. Our grandchildren live with us (ages 3 and 21 months) and its hard to do any kind of hand work. I've discovered that I can hide out in my bedroom and knit at my computer desk. It gives me a bit of peace and quiet.
I'm looking forward to really exploring this site.
Phyllis

egduf8
01-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi! I'm 16 this year, and I've just started knitting!
I want to learn how to knit really well and all the different techniques so I can knit things for my friends and little cousin.
It'll also be a really satisfying feeling when I complete something.

Thanks for this site :)

cathi1154
01-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi I am so happy to find a knitting forum. I learned to knit when I was a child, loved it since, Of course, as all else, when you are raising children, hobbies take a back seat. Now that my kids are grown,(sort of) I have more time for my interests. I am not the perfect knitter but I hope to do better as I go along.cloud9

Shandeh
01-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the Forum, everyone! :)

I began knitting a year ago and had an awesome LYS about 5 minutes away; about 2 mths ago my DH got a job transfer & it required us to move to a town with a pop. of 75 - no one knits!
But, now that you have all your knitting friends online, you won't be completely alone! :hug:

.........The church I attend is starting a prayer shawl ministry........Does anyone have a "beginner" pattern for a lab afghan or shawl?
Hi Debbie! Just make a big rectangle for a prayer shawl. Use a soft, comfy yarn, and it will be beautiful! :thumbsup:

Here are some easy lapghan patterns:
Easy Checkerboard Lapghan (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Knitting/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1343+Lapghans.htm)
Throws Galore on Berroco Website (http://www.berroco.com/179/179_throwsgalore.html)
Patchwork Lap Blanket (http://www.chroniclebooks.com/Chronicle/excerpt/0811848884-e3.html)
You could even make yourself a "Warm Up America" afghan, and call it a "Warm Up Myself" afghan instead! :teehee: They have some simple, free instructions on this page. Just scroll down past the crochet instructions, and you'll see them. You'll be making several squares, using the different designs. Then, you'll seam them together. Easy. :wink:
http://www.warmupamerica.com/patterns.html

And some easy shawl patterns:
Rare Wrap in Garter Stitch (http://rareyarns.com.au/patterns/ry_pattern_wrap.pdf)
Another simple shawl, called the "Cinderella Shawl" (http://www.chroniclebooks.com/Chronicle/excerpt/0811848884-e2.html), which is made for kids to knit! So, you KNOW it's easy. :)

If you want to try a more advanced triangle shawl, try this one: Simple Yet Effective Shawl (http://www.cosmicpluto.com/blog/?p=443)

I am still looking for help the "bind off using tapestry needle" question.
What does it say in the pattern? Are they telling you to bind off first, then weave in the ends with a tapestry needle? Did you find the pattern online? Is there a link to it?

Ctwmn63
01-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi there my name is Jean and I go as ctwmn63. Yes I have two cats, one husband , 1 teenage boy, 1 adult child, and the newest to out family is one Ginnie pig. I like to teach myself on different things. I tough myself crochet all kinds, I sew and I learned to take picture with digit camera. I have been married for 20 yrs. I work outside of the home with handliecap adults. I started work there 1 yr and 4 months. Before that I was a home health aide that took care of older population. So I just what to say hi everyone here.

Jean:)

knitfit53
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi, I've been a crocheter for many years and decided I would like to learn how to knit. I used my Christmas gift card and bought a bunch of knitting supplies. Glad I found this wonderful site. I know I will be visiting quite often to get as much help as I can. I live in Paris, Texas. Does anyone else here live in this small Texas town? I would love to meet someone who crochets and knits! Thanks again this great site!

Aninhas
01-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Hello everyone! First i would like to say that i'm just learning how to knit, it's something that i've always wanted to do, and thanks to this site and your help, i can make one of my wishes came true. The site is a huge, huge help, the videos are very easy to follow.
But let me introduce myself, I'm Ana, i'm 26 years old, i live in Lisbon, Portugal, and i am in the military but also in colledge. I'm very glad to join this community and who knows, perhaps make friends.
I want to apologyse for my english, and the mistakes you might encounter on this message :D

gentleduv47
01-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I am new here and also very new to forums. I found your site and thought maybe this would be fun and informative. But I am not sure how to get started. I have knit for severaql years so I considere myself an advanced beginner. I am currently working on a cable scarf pattern and I am wanting to learn to do socks, but I have heard that the heels are really help. I am also looking for some patterns.
So about me: I am almost 62 years old. I just moved to Tulsa Ok. In fact, this is my first day here. I am hoping to get connected with other knitters here in Tulsa.
I am a grand ma, with one granddaughter and 7 1/2 step grands (all of whom live in Iowa). I am also hoping to make friends with other ladies so that I will have people to talk with.
By the way my first name is Marge.

Shandeh
01-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

.........Does anyone else here live in this small Texas town? I would love to meet someone who crochets and knits!............
Check out our "Knitters Knear You" section to find people in your area. :)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

...............I am currently working on a cable scarf pattern and I am wanting to learn to do socks.......
Hi Marge! If you want to learn to make socks, you should check out Silver's online tutorial. It really helped me when I was learning.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

ArchieOwen
01-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Dear KnittingHelp.com,
Thank you for your wonderful site! I would be totally lost beyond the basic knit and purl of it all without your helpful instructions and videos! I have been using a book to learn to knit but some techniques just scream for color videos and your site has been my saving grace.
And thank you for having this forum as well. I've already received helpful advice from your administrators and forum users on reading a pattern.
Keep up the wonderful work! Thank you again so very much!
Yours truly,
Ashley

Kirika
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Hellos! a friend of mine has passed along this site as a big helping hand. i am brand new to knitting and crochet. im excited to get started, i got injured this past October and have decided to take up knitting to feel productive again.

i found a few write ups on nalbinding, and thought it would be interesting to start with. i figured since i didn't know how to knit or crochet nalbinding wouldn't confuse me as much. i plan to move onto knitting and crochet afterward; but i am just too intrigued with nalbinding now to not start. im not sure if there are any binders here, but im still excited to start delving into your videos and helpful forum.

thanks so much for this site. it looks like a lot of fun :woot:

Jhanson1227
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I am Jessica, a brand new knitter. I am very left handed and have never been able to figure out how to knit, so one night I googled left-handed knitting and came up with nothing, so I said forget it, I'll learn how to do it right handed and I stumbled on this site.

Thanks soooo much whoever did the videos, I am now working on a scarf. Basic and pretty goofy looking but I am REALLY proud of it!

Thanks again,
Jessica

:woohoo:

quietspirit101
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, I go by quietspirit101 and I am new to this forum. I enjoy making things. I was introduced to knitting and crocheting eons ago when I was Jr. Girl Scout. I am now a grandmother. I used to sew a lot in high school. I went back to sewing when my friends' daughters and my daughter became prom age, then I was drafted to do sewing for some church plays. I still sew and crochet from time to time. I recently decided to take up knitting and teach myself. The truth is I bought some boa yarn at a dollar store to make a scarf but discovered it would be too hard to crochet with so I figured I would knit it since it had a pattern on the label to knit a scarf. So I found some on line knitting instructions and knitted a simple head band as practice for knitting with the boa yarn. I 've cast on and ripped out at least three time now. I posted a message on Scarlet Purls' blog because I really liked her knitting. She suggested I come here so here I am. It looks like a good forum and I could sure use some help.

TwistedStitches
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Carole. My mother taught me how to knit in my teenage years. I would play around with knitting but it took until I was 41 before I ever actually completed anything. I have made a few hats and am now working an a afghan. I can honestly say that I feel like I am addicted to knitting now.:)

I came across this website when I had googled Continental vs. English knitting. I hadn't realized that there was a difference, but was confused when I saw someone holding the yarn on their opposite hand. I guess I was taught the Continental way of knitting.

I am so excited about knitting, and can't wait to finish this afghan so that I can start another project!