PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

gallison
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi everyone!! I just took up knitting this past weekend, amongst my busy schedule. I am married with 4 daughters, and am in school for my RN degree, hopefully graduating in May of this year. I hope to find time to do a little of knitting! LOVE the website!

sweetiekxx
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi all
I 1st learnt how to knit from a friend when I was at school but dropped it because I kept adding stitches and got frustrated. I picked it back up recently because I wanted to knit a scarf for my boyfried the Christmas just gone so I looked at a few videos online and started practicising again and realised my mistakes. I have become so addicted to knitting since I've picked it back up and learnt how to read patterns recently. There are so many things I want to try out!!

amlauber
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey my name is Andrea. I am a stay at home mom with two autistic kids who keep me pretty busy but i love to knit and always try to find time to work on something everyday. I have been knitting off and on since i was thirteen. Now i would like to start doing harder projects to expand into more then scarves and baby blankets so i have alot of questions about patterns. so any help would be appreciated. I'm also in the middle of teaching my kids to knit which is going pretty well for right now anyway. thanks for the sight and the help andrea

Shandeh
01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :muah:

I am Jessica, a brand new knitter. I am very left handed and have never been able to figure out how to knit, so one night I googled left-handed knitting and came up with nothing, so I said forget it, I'll learn how to do it right handed and I stumbled on this site.
Hi Jessica, Here are some links for left-handed knitting:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATmirror.html
http://www.theknittingsite.com/how-to-knit-left-handed.htm

And here's a DVD you can buy about left-handed knitting:
http://www.leftoutknitter.com/Home_Page.php

firedancer41dmb
01-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Good evening everyone! Just dropping in to say hello. My name is Cassie, and i've never knit a minute in my life. Ive purchased all the necessary tools, and started watching some videos on this site to help me learn. I figured out 2 different cast on's tonight just from the videos, but dont know where to go from there! haha. Seems like a great community you all have here, and i cant wait to get to know you all. Any help would be greately appreciated, and maybe someone could upload a video for dummies explaining what to do with this row of yarn on your needle! haha.

Ingrid
01-13-2009, 12:52 AM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/../videos/learn-to-knit)

Welcome!

Check out the videos on this page. It'll take you past the cast-on, ready to launch!

Linda72450
01-13-2009, 03:35 AM
Hello! I have finally decided that I am ready to learn to knit. I have the casting on part down.. maybe! (At least I think I do...) I can crochet, and I am just now learning to read a pattern on that. I have been crocheting for years, and I always had to have someone translate the patterns. I am determined to learn to knit and to read the patterns.
My name is Linda, and I am from Arkansas. I am married, and have 4 kids.

Katxena
01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi! I'm an intermediate knitter, although I'm not very productive. I found this forum via a project posted on ravelry. It looks like a very nice community.

Autodidact
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi, I'm Pam, and I'm currently obsessed with knitting. My obsessions don't usually last more than a year, so I don't know how long I'll be here.

For now I offer thanks and praise for the videos here. They got me started and finished with my first project: a scarf. Knitted in stockinette. <headsmack> Too late, I found this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32810)! I need to remember to ask questions...

tnbeaut
01-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I started knitting a month ago. I bought a kit called I Taught Myself To Knit. I wish I knew about this site at the time. It's awesome.

Patricia

JerseyShoreDeb
01-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have been knitting for about 30 years, but we can all use a little help, right?
Looking forward to exchanging advice with all of you.

Deb in NJ

Noven
01-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Hello! I am new to knitting and bought some yarn and needles yesterday to get me started. My plan is to make some hats and stuff eventually, but I guess I am going to start off with some pot holders first. I figured that with my wife being pregnant, learning to knit might be useful for the first 6 months when the baby just lays there, sleeps and eats... at least this gives me something to do and still watch the baby!

I plan to start learning tomorrow after work, as soon as I can grasp the video for Long-Tail Cast-On (I just cant seem to get it to work no matter how many times I try looking at the video!). Anyhoo, thanks for having me and I hope to be here a lot!.

RubyPendragon
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi, guys. I'm new to KnittingHelp. What drew me? My current challenge is my curling scarf, which is knit in a 3x1 rib. Not sure why this is happening - thought that would only be an issue w/stockinette stitch. Using Patons SWS (Wool/Soy). Can this be blocked to fix the problem?

jasmineisabella
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
hello, I am brand new to knitting. I am attempting to make Bernat Bunny toy. I have completed the first four inches and directions say to increase by casting on 17 stitches to start the arm, I tried that but after casting on and attempting to knit the row across, the stitches on the right needle are connected to the main piece on the left by a string of yarn that keeps getting longer. help!

spicername
01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi all. Looks like I'm the newbie on the block. I've been knitting for quite some time but nothing too difficult for fear of not being able to finish something. Boy am I happy to have found this site!! This is possibly the best thing that's happened to me about knitting. I have read books and more books and tried and tried different stitches but realized I'm just one of those people that needs to see to do. Well with your wonderful videos I can do just that. I can't wait to finally try bigger and better things. I am really looking forward to getting better because I so badly want to make some socks. Thanks for providing this great resource.

Shandeh
01-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome to our wonderful forum, everyone! :hug:

My current challenge is my curling scarf, which is knit in a 3x1 rib. Not sure why this is happening - thought that would only be an issue w/stockinette stitch. Using Patons SWS (Wool/Soy). Can this be blocked to fix the problem?
It could be that you need to use larger or smaller needles. Sometimes that helps. You could be knitting too tight or too loose, so changing the needles up or down a size could make a difference in the way it knits up. Good luck!

hello, I am brand new to knitting. I am attempting to make Bernat Bunny toy. I have completed the first four inches and directions say to increase by casting on 17 stitches to start the arm, I tried that but after casting on and attempting to knit the row across, the stitches on the right needle are connected to the main piece on the left by a string of yarn that keeps getting longer. help!
I'll copy your question to the "How To" section. You'll probably get some help there. :thumbsup:

fthompson
01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks Amy
Just wanted to say what an amazing site.
I do not know anything about knitting, so I got me a book on Tuesday and I could not understand anything. I deceided to surf the net and came across your site. It was so easy to follow along. I can now cast on my first stitches and it only took me a couple of minutes. Thanks again Amy and the other members. I will be using the site more often.

fthompson

megan734
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
thanks amy. any tips on purling?????

ladycat
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi to all
I have been knitting for 40 + years and still love doing it. I live in north Idaho. I have 2 alpacas, 3 parrots,1 housecat,2poms,and 1 bobcat. I spin, knit, crochet, sew and am retired so I have lots of time to do a lot. Oh I forgot I also have a hubby who puts up with all my hobbies.
Sharon in Idaho:knitting:

Emmegsmom
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I am a new knitter and I am trying to knit my first scarf today! My kids are nagging me to teach them too, but I have to learn first. I am finding that out of all the needles I have, I have 1 favorite and am having a hard time using any others which is frustrating! I learned from the videos on this site and am looking forward to going to my LYS, which is brand new! Thanks!
Heather

LiezelMiller
01-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi, my name is Liezel and I live in Johannesburg South Africa. I am an experienced knitter and I own a wool and knitting shop called Wool Land. Most of my customers are older ladies, the fad has not really hit the younger generation here, so it would be nice to chat to a crowd who are internet and computer savvy too!:cheering: btw I am 40 and a mom to two beautiful toddlers aged 1 and 3 years!

miraclebaby50
01-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Hi I am Minnie. I love this web site. I am a knit freak, my family and friends do not understand. They pity me I think. I wish I did not have to work so I can knit. I am from Pittsburgh Pa, in the eastern USA. I teach knitting and crochet at work among other activities/crafts. I am a recreational assistant in a senior center. My LYS owner considers me to be a intermidiate knitter because I am willing to try new things. I believe in learning something new everyday. I am also a "LOST" TV show freak.(Gives me a excuse to knit?tv and knitting go together. I am looking forward to meeting knitters and crocheters. In other words people from our "world".::knitting:

jenmen987
01-18-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm a teen knitter and VERY new to this whole new world. I have tons of questions and I'm hoping I'll find tons of answers here!
Jenn
:knitting:

GweNdZ
01-18-2009, 06:13 AM
hi ^^

FWIW I have started knitting avidly since the end of last year:knitting: I still want to start crocheting soon, but only after I've finished my current knitting project *secret* ;)

:muah:

rmunozmitev
01-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Hola,
my name is Rodrigo, I am chilean but now living in Iceland...
and it was precisely here where I have started knitting... and I love it!
I owe most of what I know about knitting to this website... so thank you very much! It is a great site! :yay:

Bestur kve­jur
R

lindaC
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi, I am a beginner knitter. I am self-taught. So far, all I have made are scarves. I cannot get the hang of the purl stitch, so everyone of them has been in garter stitch. This site is wonderful! I am sure that the videos will help me. Thank you.

Fee
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi!

My name is Fiona and I hope that I do this right as I'm pretty new as far as computers go! I hope I can add something to the forum as well as getting something out of it. I'm not a beginner knitter but have recently started back up so I'm rusty! Can anyone tell me how to make a bobble on a baby cardigan that I'm doing-the abb. is MBB
Hope someone can answer before the baby grows too big as I've left this project for quite awhile!

gem1981
01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone
I'm Gemma. I bought my first pair of knitting needles yesterday and I'm curently knitting the obligatory scarf, lol. I'm looking forward to learning more about knitting and new things I can try.
Thanks everyone :knitting:

skokfeather
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi, I am new to this and would like to find a real easy top, no buttons, but maybe one on the top. I'm 59 years old and started back to college, but I like to knit, self taught. I am a widow, with 8 grandchildre, which one is living with me now. I would like this top to wear to school, that is why it needs to be easy. Can anyone help me.

dlmyoung
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello fellow needle/crafters,

I have never belonged or replied to a forum before and so am appreciative of any patience you will have with me. I originally started knitting and crocheting as a child, gave it up for many years when work, family and life took priority, and have started again for about 5 years since I became a "Nana" (grandmother). I find it very therapeutic and relaxing and look forward to getting some help with some questions. Thank you for having this forum.

dlmyoung

fairyknits
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello and Thank you!

I have been knitting for a few years and was shown how to purl but quickly got messed up and since my friend and teacher moved out of state I couldnt ask for another demonstration on the purl. I did some searching online and found KnittingHelp and now am in the process of making a baby blanket with both knits and purls. I love that KnittingHelp was able to get me started again.

:blooby:

ShellyAnn
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I've been knitting for a couple of years now but haven't moved on to anything "intermediate or advanced". I am looking forward to knitting something more than scarfs or blankets. I basically know enough to get myself into a lot of trouble.

I've picked out a new "free" pattern, but after reading it all the way through, I've already got questions. I'll check out a forum and see how it goes. Thanks to all of you in advance and I look forward to making new friends.

momma2princesses
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
:woohoo: Hello. I am so glad to find this site as i just learned on Thanksgiving how to knit. I have just finished my first project, a scarf for my mom in law and she loves it.
Ida
Westville, NJ

kfitzy
01-20-2009, 02:22 AM
I taught myself knitting a few years ago from the videos on this website, and I've recommended it to others who had trouble figuring out knitting stuff (friends, family, strangers on the bus...). Now I'm looking to try some more complex things and I'm excited to have the forums as a resource!

Shandeh
01-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :muah:

My name is Fiona............Can anyone tell me how to make a bobble on a baby cardigan that I'm doing.......
Hi Fiona. Amy has a video on how to do a bobble on this page. Scroll down that page to "Decorative Stitches", and you'll see "Creating Basic Bobbles" as the last entry in that section.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hi, I am new to this and would like to find a real easy top, no buttons, but maybe one on the top.
Are you wanting a pullover, or a cardigan? Short sleeves or long sleeves?

Fasken
01-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I have just started knitting again and this is an awesome sight. I am currently trying to reteach myself continental (had been taught to knit English) also am looking forward to learning portuguese knitting.
Have an awesome day everyone!:cheering: :knitting:

melandblossom
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
What a great site! I will back often with new updates. Thanks for doing this, its about time. :o
Hi. I'm new and I have a problem with my project.
I started crocheting a rug and the stitching became uneven. Now it's warped. What can I do?

Purly5
01-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Hello all I hope I can learn and become a great knitter. I need to learn all the lingo so I can learn to knit succefully.
I am excited but very intimidated :aww:
I am SAHM w/ 5 dc and we homeschool also.
That's all for now. :sun:

Haileyzworld
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi there! I am a new knitter! I just recently started up. My grandma gave me some knitting looms to try out. And they are a lot of fun...though I wanted to try out the traditional way of knitting so I could figure what I felt more comfortable with. I like them both. The looms are a lot faster, but I feel more accomplished (if that makes any sense) after I finish work on needles. So with that being said...I am sooo glad I found this group. There is a lot of info to read...and quite honestly I got lost in it...lol. So I am finally here to introduce myself. My name is Nikki. I have a six year old daughter named Hailey. Dh and I have been together about 9 years in Vancouver, WA. We have a funny little dog named Peanut. She is part chihuahuah and Daschund (however you spell it) weiner dog for short. She is a lowrider Chihuahuah! Her ears are to die for! LOL. She makes up for a lot of entertainment around here. Anyhow, thanks for the acceptance into your group and I hope to meet you all soon! :muah:

hcarroll36
01-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi, I'm Heidi and still not sure how to post anything. But I desperately need help on these directions.
How do I knit this: pass first k st over next 2 k sts
That is all I have for the instructions and now sure what to do.

Thanks,
Heidi

LeslieW
01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi All!
I am Leslie. I have been knitting for about 5 years and have become increasingly daring in trying new patterns. I found this site and it is AMAZING! What a great place to learn new knitting tricks and meet new people.
Thanks
Leslie

LeslieW
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi Heidi,
Essentially that is a decrease. What you are going to do is take the knit stitch and pull it over the other two stitches like you are binding off, thus decreasing 1 st.
Hope this helps.
Leslie

Jamilah
01-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi

I'm Jamilah...new knitter! Still on making anything that is a square or rectangle. :)

nubeauti
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Just wanted to say that this is a great site. I am a beginner, but I must say that while starting out knitting can be quite frustrating, yet quite relaxing. I look forward to mastering knitting through much practice and determination.

Shandeh
01-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Welcome everyone! I think you'll like it here in the Knitting Help Forum. :hug:

Hi. I'm new and I have a problem with my project.
I started crocheting a rug and the stitching became uneven. Now it's warped. What can I do?
I will copy your question to the "Crochet" section, so that maybe you'll get some help there.

Hi, I'm Heidi..........
How do I knit this: pass first k st over next 2 k sts
Hello Heidi. Just knit the first 3 stitches, then use your left needle to pick up the first stitch you knit, and pull it over the other two stitches, and off the needle. You will now have 2 stitches on the right needle. Good luck! :thumbsup:

bonbebe
01-22-2009, 01:16 AM
I am not only new to this site but also new to knitting. I am teaching myself as I also did with crocheting about 4 years ago. I have mastered that and I have been wanting to make beanies for my sons and saw that alot of the knitted beanies are alot cuter than the crocheted beanies. So I have started knitting actually did my first stitch just before I posted this :woot:.

Athena
01-22-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi all. Just stumbled upon the site in an attempt to find some sanity... I am new to knitting, I will figure it out, I'm Irish and stubborn... I do have to say whoever first said knitting was relaxing did not try to teach themselves to knit!!!:hair: Oh why didn't I pay attention when my mom tried to teach me when I was a kid?! Anywho, I look forward to meeting you and finding new friends and maybe even learn a thing or two.

Grandadgem
01-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Hi , I'm pretty sure I'm an odd duck, being a guy on a site like this. I get lots of looks while sitting with my wife at the local YMCA using our knifty knitters while the granddaughters in swim practice. Lots of little girls and boys stop and ask questions about what I'm doin. I meet a few men who knit. Mostly men stay clear. That's ok. I have grown a pretty tough skin. Let em chuckle. I'm an old war vet & I started knitting about a year ago while staying in house at a V.A. P.T.S.D. facility in Tacoma, WA. I was having a hard time concentrating and staying awake in classes. A female vet showed me how and then I could stay awake. My wife & daughter asked me to search for plans to build pompom trees, Spin wheel. & such and I ended up here. I also do clip art graphics for t-shirt iron ons but enjoy learning from other talented people about thier crafts also. I have already read some intresting things and enjoyed looking at some pics. Looking forward to learning from you ladies. I think it's great you ladies are doing something with your abilities. Thanks.

JUSTME_OHIO
01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
so i will try this way. I am a basic easy knitter and have been for 40 years . I have looked at thousands of knitted web sites free patterns etc and still can't find the hat that is in the 2005 knit pattern a day calendar. It is a hat called Sure Fit Sampler Hat (http://www.dawnadcock.com/adultpatterns.htm).
http://www.dawnadcock.com/patterns.htm
2005 Knitting-Pattern-A-Day Calendar (http://www.accordpublishing.com/knitting/knitting.htm)
is where it came from anyone have this pattern? I am not going to pay $5 for a pattern. Or I will try and figure it out just from the photo.

Freakshow
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello Everyone!

So happy to have found this site! I have been searching the web from work all week and am simply amazed at the resources available for knitting online.

If knitting is this popular why in the world did it take me so long to learn and get addicted to sticks and yarn? :)

I think I found this place from Ravelry, or maybe it was through that fabulous "Youknitwhat?" blog I found..

I have found new inspiration from Ravelry with all the AMAZING projects, patterns and yarns. While I haven't really dug in over there too much, I have been looking through the mass volumes of information and I am both inspired and intimidated.

I have knit scarves and hats, about 3 of each with thick and quick yarn. I found as a newb it is easier to see my mistakes and fix them without having to take out tons of rows plus, it progresses fast enough to keep me from getting bored with the project. I think since i just learned I am in a hurry to see how it works and move on to something new until I feel more proficient.

Looking around here a tiny bit, this seems to be a fabulous place to learn and figure out the things that actually started me on my internet search! I know one maybe two "moves" I am not even sure if they are called stitches! The stuff I have made, while basic, looks beautiful to me and I am eager to learn more! I promise to try and read as much as possible that is already here prior to posting a bunch of questions that have already been asked.

Thanks for being here and I look forward to learning much from your experience and kindness!

Amy aka FREAKSHOW:woot:

poppie
01-23-2009, 11:14 AM
:cheering: Hi all,

My name is poppie and I am from South Africa. I am addicted to knitting and I am so glad that I have found this site. Right now I have been introduced to patchwork knitting, which I hope to become very experienced at, but I need help. If there is anyone out there who knows about patchwork knitting I would appreciate communication.

Regards,

POPPIE

checat82
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
OMG! I love love love knittinghelp.com :inlove: !!!!! I have found so much here that is so usfull to me. I have been knitting for years but have been at that point where I can knit and purle very well but have not been able to move on to more difficult stuff and this as been so helpful getting me over the hump. Thanks again

cricket22
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the great site I am interested in charity knitting and hav e found this a valuble resource

pixiedust
01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and new to knitting- in fact, I have yet to cast my first stitch. I don't know anyone who knows how to knit, but have always wanted to learn.
I just purchased a few supplies to get myself started, but after doing some research, I have found that what I bought may not be the right "starter kit" for a beginner.
I have a nearly two-year-old daughter, and my goal is to learn to knit so I can make her some pretty things.
I'm hoping to get some help from you all here, and hoping that everyone has the patience to answer my novice questions about knitting.

vampirebox
01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Hello! I'm new, and I'm still something of a beginning knitter. :)
I know most of the basics, but when I have the time, I love learning new stitches, and making various projects - though, once I'm finished making them, I never use them (thus my Etsy shop! lol)

Shandeh
01-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum, everyone! :hug:

Hi all. Just stumbled upon the site in an attempt to find some sanity... I am new to knitting, I will figure it out, I'm Irish and stubborn... I do have to say whoever first said knitting was relaxing did not try to teach themselves to knit!!!:hair:
Hang in there, my friend. Knitting will be relaxing when you get more comfortable with it. It took me FOREVER to fully understand the knit and purl stitches, so I know exactly how you feel. But, once I got it, and it "clicked", I was SO excited! You can do it. :thumbsup:

Hi , I'm pretty sure I'm an odd duck, being a guy on a site like this.
Not at all. There are SEVERAL male knitters in our forum. In fact, one of our forum moderators is a man. You're among friends here. :)

I have looked at thousands of knitted web sites free patterns etc and still can't find the hat that is in the 2005 knit pattern a day calendar. It is a hat called Sure Fit Sampler Hat (http://www.dawnadcock.com/adultpatterns.htm).........I am not going to pay $5 for a pattern. Or I will try and figure it out just from the photo.
We cannot share purchased patterns here in the forum, because they are protected by copyright laws. You'll find LOTS of free knitting patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com)
Good luck!

...Right now I have been introduced to patchwork knitting, which I hope to become very experienced at, but I need help. If there is anyone out there who knows about patchwork knitting I would appreciate communication.
If you post your question in the "How To" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section, you'll probably get lots of help.

hafropinayprincess
01-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm an "intro-mediate" knitter. . . note emphasis on the INTRO . Been knitting a whopping 5 months and I'm quite literally hooked! Feeds my OCD and teaches me patience as well. Hoping to use this site to get through some of the rougher patches without bothering my already established knit buddies too terribly much.

BD: 11/24/69.

Looking forward to knit-chatting w/ y'all.

Tawny :knitting:

judithredd
01-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Hello,
I did the continental cast on but have a tail left. How do you go into the first stich from there? I can't find it and have no imagination.
THanks for any help.

susanelp
01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a knitting project with some of my international students attending Cascadia Community College in Bothell, Washington. I am going to encourage them to visit this site and become involved in the forums if they find that they really enjoy knitting! I'm starting out with about 20 students, but I don't really expect more than a handful to stick with it through the quarter-we'll see! This is a great site. I think that they will really benefit from the videos.

raggie
01-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Amy and all other knitters,
I'm new to this forum, but not to the site. I love it. I look forward to helping others and hopefully being helped myself. Thanks for this forum. It has helped me out a lot. I've learned so much.
Raggie

lupe
01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
:knitting: hello alguien que sepa espa˝ol?

Jeremy
01-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!:hug:

Jeremy
01-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Hello,
I did the continental cast on but have a tail left. How do you go into the first stich from there? I can't find it and have no imagination.
THanks for any help.

Hi Judith, welcome to the forum. You are going to use the yarn that is connected to the ball of yarn. You will be able to weave the tail in later. Have a look at the videos on the knit stitch to see how to go from where you are. Good luck

knittingmichelle
01-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi there! I'm a newbie knitter. :) I just started knitting because I got a book, yarn, and needle set for Christmas. I've made two scarves already and am working on a third one. The first two scarves were just garter stitch. I taught myself how to do purl the other day and am now working on "Aunt Purl's magic scarf". :D I'm happy to have found this site!

toshae1
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello all!
My name is Tosha and I am a newbie here from Michigan! I am 27 years old and a stay at home mom to 3 great kids. Haley is 8, Noah is 3 and Wyatt is 14 months! I am married to my high school sweet heart, Nik, for 9 years now.
I enjoy horse back riding, sewing, quilting, cake decorating and now knitting! I am self taught in all of the above, except the horse back riding. My friend helps me there!
I have been attempting to knit for about 6+ months now, and keep messing up and starting over! I am glad that I found this site and hope that with the help of the video tutorials and you guys I can get the hang of it!
Look forward to meeting you all!
Tosha

chachy86
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]hi everyone! I've been knitting for about a year now, but unfortunately will be needing help more than I will be giving it on this forum. I am in the stage where the things i'm making are actually nice to wear and i'm noticing how amateur and funky my first (once awesome to me) knits are. I have just finished a pair aof great mittens and now i am hooked! i am a recent college grad living near chicago and cannot find a job! I studied anthropology, archeology, and spanish. In today's economy the last thing people want to hire is a wannabe indiana jones. So i knit myself into a cocoon some days and don't stop until my project is done. Great website! excited to be a newbie!!:woohoo:

spmc1226
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Good Day!

I am not only a newbie to the site, but also to knitting. I basically taught myself through a not very helpful book. Therefore, I need LOTS of help! I was thrilled to find this site and it has already proved extremely useful. My husband and children finally have scarves that look like scarves! They, too are extremely glad for this site.

I plan to spend alot of time perusing the site!:woohoo:

TrishKnitter
01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Hello I have just joined this site today.....I have been knitting for over 50years and in the past made everything for family.....Now i mainly knit toys and things for the home.........sure when i get to know how to navigate the site i will enjoy it......

Marria
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi there! I'm a newbie knitter. :) I just started knitting because I got a book, yarn, and needle set for Christmas. I've made two scarves already and am working on a third one. The first two scarves were just garter stitch. I taught myself how to do purl the other day and am now working on "Aunt Purl's magic scarf". :D I'm happy to have found this site!

Love your animated "The Cheat" Michelle! :)

TikiPrincess
01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie knitter who just received my first set of needles this Christmas. I tried knitting a scarf over the past few weeks, but my bulldog puppy decided that my first project wasn't good enough and decided to frog the whole thing for me. >_< So I found a pattern for armlets instead. ^_^ I think I'd like to eventually try felting (maybe a hat), but for now, I'm just happy to sit and knit while I watch TV.

Buggy
01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
[SIZE="5"]Hi,
I'm Savanna and I'm 9yrs old and new here

Buggy
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I dont know how to knit could a few of you help me with how to atach the to the knitting needle.

kizzy
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone, I'm not sure what a thread is but Hi there anyway.
I'm trying to convert a pattern so I can use a different yarn and needle size. Is there a formula for this??

groovyzoot
01-26-2009, 11:12 PM
What a tremendous website:woohoo: Fiber-junkies unite! This is going to the top of my bookmarks list.

Laniemama
01-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi! I'm Holly, mama to 3 kiddos! I'm new to knitting and loving it! I keep adding things to my "to knit next list". I'm making my way through my first knit pants for my ds and doing well I think! :) This is a great helpful forum and I love the videos! :)

sweetcn
01-27-2009, 02:04 AM
I just want to say hello! I 've been knitting for a while now, but I'm still not super advanced. This site has been a brilliant help to me! Thank you so much for the videos. I've learned ridiculous amounts from you.

Eve55
01-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Hi all you knitters: I am so happy I have joined this great site because I know the basic knitting skills but 'my god I need lots of help with certain patterns' so I am introducing my self - as just a beginner. :knitting:

debbieo
01-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone
Thank you for your welcome. I am looking forward to this forum. I have never enjoyed anything like this online befre, so I am just feeling my way around.:woohoo: I do have a question how ever. Do I ask it here????????????? :mrgreen:

annieg3
01-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi, I live in the north of England. I just googled for some info as I was stuck with my knitting and found this amazing site. Couldnt put my time zone in of course but never mind. I did find the answer to my question straight away!!! Just needed to know if you measure the armhole after decreasing around the curve or from the decreasing up straight to the needle. Seems you measure it straight. Phew, did that with the last thing I knitted my grandaughter and was thinking I might have done it wrong but no.Speak to you all soon.
annie:cheering:

mom41peke
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Now that the holidays are over, I'm starting on next holiday's gifts! Just gotta quit starting new projects -- I have 4 going on right now!
I've been knitting since 2nd grade (I'm 46) and I now "english knit continental style," as it were! Meaning I pick with my right, not my left.
I'm owned by 2 dogs and 3 cats, so my projects always contain natural fibers!
That's it for now. Happy knitting!

Robyn & zoo

uclady
01-28-2009, 04:24 AM
:muah:A good forum!

bizzybee
01-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this. I have been knitting for fifty years...OY! now you know how old I am...lolol
Anyway I have knitted for my daughters... I have two and my four granddaughters. I love knitting...I also quilt.

I moved to Nevada five years ago from the Catskill mountains in NY. I take care of my husband who is on oxygen 24/7 and my 91 yr old mother who I took out of a nursing home....so what else could I do but knit my brains out....lolol :woot: :woot:

But really, knitting is like a tranquilizer for me...I really enjoy it.
I know I will find many friends here. :grphug:

kwynf
01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I am a beginner knitter and I am following a pattern the requires me to knit front and back of stitch for a whole row. I saw the video and know how to do that. The pattern calls for me to just knit the next row, but which stitch do I knit it? I could have bet that I saw a video on this site on how to knit the next row but I can't find it now!!! Do I knit only the first stitch?

I am attempting to make a potato chip scarf if that helps.

Thanks!!!!

Shandeh
01-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:

I dont know how to knit could a few of you help me with how to atach the to the knitting needle.
The easiest way to learn is to watch the videos that Amy has made on how to knit. Just click "View Videos" at the top of this page, and you should be able to follow it from there. Start with "Getting Started". Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hi everyone, I'm not sure what a thread is but Hi there anyway. I'm trying to convert a pattern so I can use a different yarn and needle size. Is there a formula for this??
A "thread" is a "discussion thread". You're in one right now. :wink:
There are different sections in the forum, where you can join in on an existing discussion thread, or start your own discussion thread about a different topic. Just read through some of the threads in the forum, and you'll start to understand it in time.
Here's the main forum page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php
To get help with your pattern conversion, you should post your question in the "How To" section of the forum. You'll get lots of help there. :)
Here's the "How To" section: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

.....I do have a question how ever. Do I ask it here????????????? :mrgreen:
The best place to ask questions is in the "How To" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

I am a beginner knitter and I am following a pattern the requires me to knit front and back of stitch for a whole row. I saw the video and know how to do that. The pattern calls for me to just knit the next row, but which stitch do I knit it? I could have bet that I saw a video on this site on how to knit the next row but I can't find it now!!! Do I knit only the first stitch?
When you did the previous row, you doubled the amount of stitches on your row. Now, you have LOTS of stitches on your needle. When you knit the next row, you'll knit every one of those stitches.

Kamon
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi ya'll I am Kamon I am frozen inside today and am stuck on 2 projects I need help picking up dropped sticthes

married0621
01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone! I just joined this forum last weekend and have already found so much helpful information! I taught myself to knit about four years ago from a S & B book. So far, my projects have mostly been scarves and hats, but I have started to knit socks and my next goal is to knit a sweater! This hobby is so much fun!

Thanks for letting me join! :muah:

knittingforty
01-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Hello everyone. I am new to knitting but have crocheted for years, mostly afghans. I am under fifty, but over forty-five and decided that I wanted to learn to knit sweaters. So off to the local department store where I bought a "Learn to Knit" book, some homespun yarn, size 17 needles, and taught myself to knit a scarf, then moved on to fancy fur yarn and size 10 needles for a different scarf. I ended up making six for christmas presents. Feeling quite confident in myself, I bought some acrylic yarn and downloaded a beginners sweater pattern using the k1b stitch, purl, and k1p1 rib. So far so good. I did post a question thread concerning this project. I am also participating in a monthly kal on dishcloths which is greatly improving my skills and expanding my knowledge.
Knitting is great therapy!

Knittingforty
Georgia

Jamie98
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I am recently retired and brand-new at knitting. I have had one two-week lesson, learning to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. Am scheduled for another two-week to learn how to increase, decrease, understand gauge and read patterns.

This is great fun, but I do sometimes feel like I have jumped off an airplane without a 'chute! This website has been a lifesaver!

artmaven
01-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello everyone. I am another newbie to the forum. I think Knittingforty and I have a lot in common. I am also less than 50 but greater than 40 and recently decided to learn to knit after years (and years, and years) of crochet. Just wanted to try something different. It seemed like all the really cool sweater patterns were for knit. Found this site through a Google search and after watching the great "how to" videos, voila! I am hooked! (no pun intended for the other crocheters out there. "I'm needled" just didn't have the same ring to it.) Looking forward to learning from you all!

knittingforty
01-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Artmaven, we must be doubles!
Glad to know that I have an equal here. Be sure and keep me posted on your projects. Seeing what others have completed keeps me inspired.

Boramaf
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM
My name is Brandon and I live in Montana (wonderful Big Sky country) 30yrs old, and just starting to learn how to knit. I saw a friend knitting and thought it may be a nice relaxing hobby.

Anyways, just thought I'd say "hello" to everyone. I'm sure I will have lots of questions :p

RoColeman
01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for creating such a useful site. I live in Sydney and find it hard to get knitting help. The video on Kitchener Stitch was especially useful as I have been knitting a few socks. :woot:

knitnewbie
01-31-2009, 11:52 AM
So glad to have found this site! I'm brand new to knitting and your video's are great....really helpful. Looking forward to learning lots here. Thanks for such a wonderful resource!

Shandeh
01-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

Hi ya'll I am Kamon I am frozen inside today and am stuck on 2 projects I need help picking up dropped sticthes
Knitty has a good article on how to pick up dropped stitches:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATtheresa.html

You can also find some good videos on fixing mistakes here in the forum, on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

sammy11530
02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm sooo happy I found this site!! It's really helpful since I'm brand new to this knitting, I've been wanting to knit for such a long time but never had anyone to teach me and its double hard since i'm left handed. I work at the local library and we started a knitting gorup there but I could really use some extra help!

Tilly
02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
:woohoo: Hiii Everyone,
This seems to be a wonderful forum to know other knitters.. Thank you so much for having such a forum. I'm a newbie knitter, and a self-learner.. Having been learning for one week with Cd's now and i love it. I learnt to knit pretty soon and my stitches are even :cheering: ..However my purling looks messy and the stitches cross at the needle and basically..it doesn't look great... Any suggestions to help me better this technique would be great.
Oops..and I'm 25 yrs old :p and a software engineer but have some free time nowadays and i am generally creative and have always wanted to try knitting and i love it...
I am also wondering what would be a good pattern for a beginner - do i start with making a scarf ? or try out different swatches with patterns and just get a hang of purling and knitting in different patterns etc?
Great Forum.. Hats off to all you knitters out there...
Way to go :) :muah:

Variegated
02-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Hello to all.
I'm delighted to find another site to talk about knitting!
Long-term knitter, mostly of my own handspun these days, unless it's thread for lace. :cool:

SunniSue
02-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Hello!

I'm Sue, I've been :knitting: and crocheting for many years now, my Mum taught me to knit as child, I taught myself crochet about 15 years ago. I also love to sew. Lack of time is the biggest hindrance these days, I have a boisterous 2 year old who likes to 'help' with projects - like pulling all the needles out while I was learning to use DPNs! :teehee: At least it was only a practice piece!

Although I'd say I'm pretty competent at both knitting at crochet, I always love to learn something new (especially something my Mum doesn't know! :teehee:) so looking forward to having a good nosey round this site and forum :)

annegalullo
02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Good morning fellow knitters! My name is Anne and I'm a self taught knitter, trying to advance my skills. I'm so happy to have found your site.

Jeremy
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
:woohoo: Hiii Everyone,
This seems to be a wonderful forum to know other knitters.. Thank you so much for having such a forum. I'm a newbie knitter, and a self-learner.. Having been learning for one week with Cd's now and i love it. I learnt to knit pretty soon and my stitches are even :cheering: ..However my purling looks messy and the stitches cross at the needle and basically..it doesn't look great... Any suggestions to help me better this technique would be great.
Oops..and I'm 25 yrs old :p and a software engineer but have some free time nowadays and i am generally creative and have always wanted to try knitting and i love it...
I am also wondering what would be a good pattern for a beginner - do i start with making a scarf ? or try out different swatches with patterns and just get a hang of purling and knitting in different patterns etc?
Great Forum.. Hats off to all you knitters out there...
Way to go :) :muah:

Hi Tilly, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of things a new knitter can knit besides scarves. One great thing is a dish towel using cotton. The cotton yarn is very inexpensive and mistakes are not all that important since you are just using them to wipe up dishes. Many of them have alternating knit and purl patterns which help sharpen your skills. They can also be finished fairly quickly which gives you a sense of accomplishment. I'm not sure what you mean by your stitches crossing on the needle during purling but if you fail to bring your yarn to the front before you purl its going to leave a funky little arrangement on your needle. Take a look at the video again. Purling is a little harder than knitting so don't get discouraged.

Tilly
02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
thank you jeremy.
Thats a good idea which i am going to try. :cheering:
I am not sure why my purls were looking criss crossed on the needle.. i am going to try harder..just purl and purl..and prolly that will help :)
Thanks for your help once again

Cheers
Tilly

Marria
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi Tilly. :waving:

As Jeremy suggested, have another look at the videos. Since there are videos for both English and Continental style, you might see if the other way of knitting/purling works better for you!

If you want, you could also post a photo of your stitches in the how-to forum, and maybe we could help you get it sorted out by looking at your stitches.

If you aren't on Ravelry yet, I'd suggest you go there and sign up for an invite. They have tons of free patterns, and you might find something that strikes your knitting fancy there. Another good place to look for fairly basic and easy knitting patterns is www.lionbrand.com.

Take care!

jearly123
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi All,

I am a new person on this forum....I just started knitting again after many years. I am enrolled in a knitting class for four weeks to bring back or add to my skills.

I love this site....it has helped me so much...no one could ask for more with all the videos and written instructions.....Just found the note for the forrum today so her I am.....I know I will enjoy it very much. Thank you all for being here. Jane

leaette
02-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I live in Indiana. My name is Leaette. Taught myself to knit and made many garments wish there was a knitting class around here:muah:

Marria
02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Jane and Leaette!

Leaette-if you're self-taught and have made garments already, I'm guessing you can get all the "classes" you need online. :) The videos and advice here are fantastic.

debbieo
02-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Would anyone like to chat??????:knitting: meet you there!!!! how fun

cdsommer
02-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Hello there - just wanted to introduce myself! I learned to knit a year ago, which was good because it gave me something to do with all the yarn I collecting and hoarding. ;) I've found the videos here to be incredibly helpful, and am so happy to have *just* found this forum! Looking forward to bopping around!

dustinac
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
:yay:Welcome to KH everyone!

JoyceKnitsaLot
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi to all you knitters. I recently found this site and love it. I have taught myself all that I know. I love to knit and crochet.

I wanted to learn Double Knitting and that is how I found this site. I watched the video and it was very good but I am still a bit confused.

I have at least 50 projects in seperate bags to complete - most are started but I have this problem that when I see something new I want to do it immediately. I have to stop this madness.

I recently started a Sit and Knit group - we meet every Monday night from 6-8 pm - it is growing weekly. Lots of sharing and great conversation and we all do manage to complet projects.

This may become one of my daily things to do. I am retired but seems like I have no time to do all I wish to do. I guess that is the way it is with women.

I belong to a Knitting Guild also - tomorrow night we are having a yarn tasting - going to see lots of new spring colors. Should be fun!

If anyone out there can help me with the Double Knitting it would greatly be appreciated.

Knit ON!

ENCROW
02-04-2009, 11:48 PM
:) Hello all I am new here!! I know nothing about knitting or crocheting I am wanting to leard how to knit. I am a member of a website called Twilightmoms and some of them recommended I look here to find somewhere in my area to learn!! I live in Arlington, TX!! I checked all of the Michaels stores in my area and found nothing!!! I can't wait to meet some new friends and hopefully learn how to make some beautiful items!!!

IrisKnitter
02-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi all!

Thought I'd just drop a line because I love this site for all of the videos and ideas. I learned how to knit (the basics anyway) about 5 years ago, but never had the courage to do any major projects. Just recently I quit smoking, and so to do something with my hands and distract me, I decided to make something other than a dish cloth! So far in the past month and a half I've made hats, mittens(learned how to knit on 4 needles), and made my first sweater for my son! Have to admit I am pretty proud of this accomplishment!

Since I have little kids I don't always have time to go to the local yarn store to ask about what a direction in a pattern means, so this is such a fabulous resource!

Knit on, everyone!

BTW, Tilly, making dishcloths is a perfect way to get used to stitches. And it's a short enough project that you don't have time to get bored or frustrated with it. Good luck!

catorgel
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I've returned to knitting after a twenty-year break. This time around I'm working on socks and have a returning problem. How do you weave in color changed yarn ends, how many 'weaves' does it take, can you successfully hide the contrasting color so it doesn't show on the front, etc. You get the idea.

SouthernJudy
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi I'm new here and trying to find my way around. I think this site is great!! can't wait to visit many of the forums.:)

JoJo3855
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
... my name is JoJo3855 and I'm a knitter from Weymouth, Mass. I am going absolutely CRAZY[I] with a pattern instruction - it's a variation on a rib (for a pullover sweater) - it says "row 2 - p3, *k3, p3, rep from *; row 3 - *k3 wyif, sl 3 sts purlwise wyib; rep from *. I am just [I]not getting this !! Would someone please help unmuddle my feeble brain ... thanks SO much ! Nice to meet you all and hope we'll be chatting a great deal ! Hope I can help someone else with something. Take care :) ~JoJo3855:knitting:

akgram1
02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
hello, I'm Dar, residing in Fairbanks Alaska- I am getting back into some hand knitting again after being away from it for a few years. We sold our place in the lower 48 and have been full time RVers for about 3 years and didn't do a lot of knitting during that time. Have a few projects I had started some time ago and am working at finishing them up. Will be posting a "looking for afghan pattern" request and hopefully someone will know what I'm looking for ?
Am anxious to scout out this site and know I can always learn something from someone. We're never too old for that I've found.

jfvaldez
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
My name is Jackie. I have a son who is almost 2 (in April). I have been married for almost 14 years (again, in April).

I starting knitting about 3 weeks ago. A friend invited me to take a class with her to learn, but then I had to cancel my attendance due to having to attend a funeral. I was so anxious to begin, I came to this website and learned without the class. I am loving it. I can't wait until I have it all figured out.

brigidb
02-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but not to knitting as I have been knitting for 65 years!. I learned in school in India during WWII while accompanying my parents (father was in the RAF.) We had long plastic (probably bakelite) needles which had been cut as they were too long for us and then had sealing wax bobbles at the end as knobs.

My question: what do you suggest is the best casting on method for a scarf which will be 60" long about 5-6" wide being knit with worsted weight. It will not have fringes. I was thinking of tubular but am not sure . If I do a plain rib that would work I think. Long tail might be too tight and cable cast on is an option. Any ideas?

Thanks

Marria
02-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi Brigid! I think just about any cast on you want to use would work. If I were making the scarf, I'd probably just use the long-tail cast on. If your cast-on is too tight, you can try casting on with a needle one size larger and the knitting with your regular needle.

wolfcreak
02-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi all,
Just learned of this group today. My name is Donna, I'm 60, a cancer survivor living at Lake Navarro Mills, about 20 minutes from Corsicana, Texas and 45 minutes from Waco, Texas and and hour from Dallas. It's my dh, 2 cats (spoilt? naw), 3 dogs, 2 goats, 1 donkey and lots of yarn.
I'm a retired school secretary and hubby is a retired jet engine mechanic. I knit while he flies radio controlled planes.
My knitting goes everywhere with me and I do KIP; it's a great conversation starter. Right now I'm working on a pair of socks, my first pair using wool sock yarn. I'm loving it, have used acrylic before. Also have a cabled shawl on the needles. I alternate, when I get tired of the tiny knitting I go to the fuzzy.
Is there anyone out there in my area?
I hope to learn the magic loop method.
Donna

PBirdie
02-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I've just joined and I hope this will be a good way to learn knitting.

cwalliser
02-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm new and have a question. How do you "purl through back loop" on purlside without making an extra stitch? Pattern calls for this and I just can't figure it out. With yarn in front for purling, if I knit through the back of next stitch, it makes a yarnover. What to do????
cwalliser:aww:

Marria
02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi PBirdie! Hi cwalliser!

clwalliser--purling through the back loop just means you are going to insert the needle into the back of the stitch instead of the front like you usually would.

Here are some pictures that might make it more clear:

http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=93&language=

Cherity
02-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Hello everyone, I am 29 years old and just desided thaat I wanted to make blankets for all my kids. I have found a pattern that is really easy to start with. At least until I am comfortable with the basic stitches. I have done two so far, well if you want to call the first one a blanket. :roflhard: lol But now I am starting my third one and am wanting to make the blanket bigger because the pattern says it will be 37x37 and that isn't going to be big enough for my older kids. If anyone knows how I would do this that would be wonderful.

Thank you :heart:

Marria
02-08-2009, 04:48 AM
Hi Cherity! If you want to make a bigger blanket than 37x37, you will definitely want a circular needle, if you aren't using one already. You can use them just like a straight needle. The length you get would depend on the size of the blanket you want to make. Or, you could make narrower and longer strips and sew them together. If you are trying to find a pattern, try out www.knittingpatterncentral.com .They have tons of free patterns. And if you haven't yet, you should join Ravelry. There are tons of free patterns there too.

Welcome to KH. This is a great place!

sugarpinesue
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I love your site, I taught myself to knit about 4 years ago
and have made numerous scarfs, blankets but now I am ready to do more.

Happymi
02-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I am a newbie. Found you by mistake. I know I will be using this site as I am new to knitting and sure will need some help. I thank everyone in advance.:woot:

I have taken a few knitting lesson and have made several things already. I came upon something I don't understand in one of the project books (turning ridge). So I ask? what the heck is turning ridge?

Happymi

Marria
02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi Sugarpinesue and Happymi! This is a great site--you'll be able to learn a lot, if you get stuck, you'll get answers right away, and videos are fantastic. If you haven't had a look at them yet, you should go see. :)

Happymi-a turning ridge is just a row of knitting that you can use when you need to fold your knitting to finish it up. A lot of times, they are for a folded hem. Usually, if you are making stockinette stitch, the turning ridge will be a row of reverse stockinette. Hope that makes sense!

Magz11
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi. I am a new knitter and currently knitting my first scarf, which will probably be done today. I learned to knit from a friend bat school, but this site helped so much more. Just wanted to make myself known.

leaette
02-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Sure wish I knew how to start a thread or chat. Also wish I knew how to find the answer

Cissy44
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi,
I am new here and have been basic knitting for nigh on 40 years. And have crocheted just as long and have a lot more education in that area. But recently I've desired to do fine knitting and learning the various knitting techniques. So I am looking forward to learning a lot here. And perhaps sharing some of my knowledge too.
Cissy

Marria
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Cissy! Welcome to KH.

Leaette--

To start a thread, go to the message board (e.g. General Knitting, How-To, etc.) where you want to start the thread. Then look just above the list of all the threads, and you'll see a button called "New Thread". Just click that, and continue posting as if you were posting a reply.

To chat, look above the banner ad (KnitPicks ad) and you'll see a row of links. The third one from the left is the KnitChat link. If you go to the main forum page, and look at the bottom of the screen where it shows everyone who is online, below that, you can see who is in the chat room. I will tell you that I don't see people in there that often, but I have seen where someone posts an invite to chat with a time and then people get together in the chat room.

JoYoung
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi to everyone -
I'm new to this site just learning how to do this so bear with me. I've been knitting for about two years and have become addicted. I'm still learning so I'll have lots of questions. Glad I found this site to help me.
Later

'

peggydann
02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi,
I just came across your site in my search for a pattern I just cannot find in my stash of 'clippings' ..... I had a pattern to knit a tube with only 2 straight single pointed knitting needles .... I remember it was to skip every other stitch on alternate rows .... It was perfect to make little baby socks etc. (or even if one wanted to make a tubular scarf etc. in this way).
I just became a new first-time grandmother and these little 'tubes' would be perfect for newborn socks or 'hand savers'.
Does anyone know of this pattern .... or know how to do it?
p.s. Sorry for the 'run on' .... I just joined your group ..... I've been knitting since I've been about 2 years old at my aunt's knee :) and have been doing it ever since along with almost every other craft one could imagine. Thank you so much in advance. Peggy

knitter91
02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I am a first time user of thie site. My computer skills are very limited so I hope you'll be very patient with me.

Thank you, now if I have a question were do I do it?

knitter91

dustinac
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi and Welcome to KH!! :woot:

Knitter91~ To ask a question you just go here to the Knitting Forum Index and you will see all of our forums. Click on the forum that best fits for your question...then on the left side of your computer screen you will see "new thread" and click that :thumbsup:

Peggydan~I would ask the question in the Pattern forum, someone might have it :happydance:

cowbag
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Evening,

firstly what a fabby site, I have been stumbling around for days now just thinking oh thats wo you do that or ooo thats what that means. :roflhard:
I was taught to knit when I was about 9, by my mum who is a fabulous knitter, but can no longer do it, so after she gave me her needles etc I decided to learn properly and have managed quite a lot on my own. Making mistakes and learning to correct them as I go, along with some great help of lovely people along the way.
Anyway, My name is Wendy, I have been married 12 years, have 4 children, 2 dogs, Maggie a rescue gsd x and Ben a rescue Rottie. 3 rats, Ron, Ralph and Romeo and 2 hamsters (well they are kids really, but muggins here gets to clean them), oh and a cat called Captain Jack Sparrow. :heart: :heart:
I live in southampton, England. and thats about it for now, I am looking forward to getting to know people better!.

Jeremy
02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Welcome everyone!:hug:

silybluestar
02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Hello everyone! Something real quick about myself:

I'm in college studying biochemistry. I started knitting in high school, and have completed quite a few scarves since then. I love looking for neat color combos and patterns. I'm glad I found this forum and I look forward to sharing ideas! ^_^

knittingrookiemom
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone. I'm just a beginner and also have lots of questions. Some will probably sound silly. So bear with me! Thanks for this website.

Angelmist
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I happened to chance upon this site while trying to figure out how to do basic knitting techniques which nearly screwed up my brain after cluelessly trying to guess how to cast on followed by knit/purl from a book. After seeing the video, I was so on cloud9 by the enormous help received and knitted so many scarves thereafter.

Currently, I'm trying to learn to knit a piece of clothing (a blouse). I thought having someone to teach would be the best idea but it doesn't turn out that way as I recently had an unpleasant experience. It's so stressful and I have to reluctantly bear until I finish with the piece I was working on. I hope to be able to learn more from here the right way to knit.

Thank you! :)

mgabriel
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
HELLO:
J am a 72 yrs. old who is still learning new things. I love to knit and I am trying to knit a pair of gloves for the first tiem, the pattern is very complicated and there are things I do not understand. I am delighted to have entered this site and hoping someone can help.
Myrta Gabriel
Minnesota

yellow
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Omg! This site is so helpful. I love it! Thanks! :muah:

scrapbecca
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I am SO new to knitting (but have been crocheting - shhh! since I was 8). I love this site's videos and instructions and have learned quite a few stitches and techniques here. I'm wondering if you ladies know a good place to find practice projects. I have plenty of yarn to waste getting up to speed and want to do some beginner projects that take me from easy, easy stitches on a gradual climb up to more difficult projects (say, a sweater at the end). Can anyone suggest a list or website with that kind of approach? If you don't know of one, can you suggest any small, beginner projects to get me used to using these needles and doing things with them? Thanks so much!

Marria
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
HELLO:
J am a 72 yrs. old who is still learning new things. I love to knit and I am trying to knit a pair of gloves for the first tiem, the pattern is very complicated and there are things I do not understand. I am delighted to have entered this site and hoping someone can help.
Myrta Gabriel
Minnesota

Myrta-I think that is so awesome! People should never stop learning new things. :)

If you have questions about your pattern, post them in the how-to forum and you will usually get an answer fairly quickly.

Marria
02-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I am SO new to knitting (but have been crocheting - shhh! since I was 8). I love this site's videos and instructions and have learned quite a few stitches and techniques here. I'm wondering if you ladies know a good place to find practice projects. I have plenty of yarn to waste getting up to speed and want to do some beginner projects that take me from easy, easy stitches on a gradual climb up to more difficult projects (say, a sweater at the end). Can anyone suggest a list or website with that kind of approach? If you don't know of one, can you suggest any small, beginner projects to get me used to using these needles and doing things with them? Thanks so much!

A couple of good places to start would be www.knittingpatterncentral.com and if you aren't on Ravelry, you could join there. They have lots of free patterns.

I'd also post your question in the Pattern Central thread.

MrsWildchild
02-11-2009, 10:10 PM
So I am a fairly new knitter, but am a quick study. Being a bit of a methodical scientist-type, I rely on sites such as these for learning the "proper" way to do everything. My biggest problem is relaxing enough to let my stitches go a little loose, afraid they won't be consistent that way, but I am improving, and I find larger needles better for that. I happened across knitting as a hobby when doing an internet search for baby shower gifts, and the rest is history. I started with this particular pair of booties, which I never finished, due to misreading an unclear instruction, but learned a lot of different increases, decreases and seams during the process. Moved on to finish a stuffed elephant, 2 Baby Alligator Scarves (www.morehousefarm.com), and am now working on a hat (my first 2-colour project). I have decided that I prefer to knit than to purl. And I am an English knitter. I even get my grandmother-in-law to knit along with me sometimes. She seems to really enjoy the fun of a new unique pattern and she is not used to knitting "in American" (patterns, needle sizes, etc.)

citrella
02-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Are we allowed to meetup knitters and learn from the seniors? I would very much want to learn how to crochet a blouse.

I just learnt knit and purl and managed to complete a scarf thats all.

Jeremy
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!

danema
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi...I'm a newbie to knitting using a loom. Dabbled with knitting needles when I was very young..

Creativity constantly stirs in my blood. I am a massage therapist by profession(5yrs) after leaving a corporate career of 24 years. I also write inspirational poetry. I'm a single mom of 2 beautiful girls(20/14).

I have chosen to make changes in my life and to focus on flowing more in a creative spirit and was looking for something that would nurture that. One day at church, I saw someone using a knitting loom..that was 2 weeks ago, and now I'm working on my 1st project a blanket.

This project has allowed me to practice "being still" as before I was always on the go, worked very long days. My focus starting this year(actually started when I turned 50 last November) is to flow each day with "Grace and Ease". I want to add value to others by exhibiting a spirit of "Grace and Ease" and through this encourage them to find "Grace and Ease" in their lives..this also connects with the work I do as a therapist, as I see so many stressed out people with so many concerns about just living...however, they are stuck in the "doing" mode and forgetting how to "be still" and appreciate the gifts of life.

Anyway, found this forum and was hoping to connect with others that use the knitting loom..and share experiences and motivation..

Knitting Knewbie from North Carolina!

jbess
02-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Hi, All! I have never posted to a thread (is this the right way to say it?!) before, so I hope that I am sending out this communication correctly. I just joined this community and I have to say that I LOVE this website. I find the videos are TERRIFIC and now I am happy to know that there is additional support in talking with 'real' people! Now my question: I have knit the 4 pieces for my baby raglan sweater. The instructions say to simply 'join all raglan seams.' While I know which seams they are referring to, I am at a loss to know which stitch to use for joining. Is it the mattress stitch? If so, wouldn't this stitch make the seam lines disappear? I saw that some say to use the whip stitch, but it looks (on the web) to be 'ugly' and it seems to be a weak seam. So... what do you think? Thanks, in advance for your response. Oh, and I really hope I can figure out how to find your responses, since, again, I am new to this and am having trouble figuring out how this works! Thanks so much for your help! Janie

Marria
02-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Are we allowed to meetup knitters and learn from the seniors? I would very much want to learn how to crochet a blouse.

I just learnt knit and purl and managed to complete a scarf thats all.

If you mean meet up in person--there's a thread you might want to post in--Knitters Knear You. You can post what area you are in and see if you can contact someone in your area.

You can also learn a lot from the people here. Everyone's really friendly and eager to help.

bunkey
02-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Hello all. I learned how to knit a few years ago, but still consider myself a beginner. I have only done a few easy projects. I want to get back into and get more advanced. I'm excited about this website because of the wealth of information!

sleigh13
02-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Hi All,
My name is Sharon and I am an American living in France. I really want to learn how to knit and discovered this site that explains for free and with video; how wonderful! I really want to learn and need the basic, so hopefully I will succeed. Look forward to chatting some time!
Thank you for this wonderful site!

daisysmiles
02-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Hello,

I'm English and I live in Spain. A friend taught me how to crochet and I've kind of taught myself how to knit watching videos and following simple patterns. I've made lots of scarves (crochet) and I'm just finishing my first hat (knitting) ... all I have to do is close it ... which is causing me a few problems but I'm determined to do it.

Looking forward to chatting and hopefully some day even being able to help out ... will have to keep learning to get better until then though.

fiberfanatica
02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi group,

I am an American living in mid America, and envying those of you who are living abroad. Only region in the U.S. I have not lived is the NorthEast. I love everything to do with fibers, thread, and fabric. And am old enough to have tried almost all of them. I never did any "sprang" however - the book I had that showed it, and that I wanted to use to make a hammock was loaned out and never returned.

I used to write professionally on needlework - and as consequence, received many freebies from needlework publishers. My library was better than the best public library I had ever seen - but alas, was donated to a library in Colorado when I moved from there to here. I kept the most special books, of course. I still tell my kids (4 of them) that if I die DO NOT donate my books (that I have left) to "Goodwill" - but to sell them online. They are worth a lot. But not enough for me to part with them.

nfudge
02-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi
I'm new to knitting. My grandmother taught me years ago but recently decided to try it again. Actually finding it fun!
Question:
When the instructions say: "knit/purl two rows even"
What does that mean????

nfudge
02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
What does it mean when instructions say
"knit/purl 2 rows even"???

jonesrebe
02-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hello---I am Rebecca in Utah and I hope someone can help me. I was watching Knitty Gritty on tv a while back and thy demonstrated a good way to bind off. I wrote this down, but now I can't find the instructions. It wasn't in the Title of the show, but rather just a handy tip. I would really like to try this and hope that someone out there can help me. Thanks

goldiesmom
02-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi, I'm Goldiesmom from Ontario, Canada. I am an enthusiastic, but talent challenged knitter who wants to do things that are way over my abilities LOL. I always have questions and look forward to participating in the forums. Right now I am knitting a baby blanket for my newborn great nephew and I have worked through some of the new stitches in the pattern. In a few days I will be at the hard part, and I'm sure hoping people will come to my aid. Look forward to talking to you all soon. Goldie

Marria
02-14-2009, 08:50 PM
What does it mean when instructions say
"knit/purl 2 rows even"???

Hello! When a pattern tells you to knit, purl or work in a pattern "even", it just means that you don't do any increasing or decreasing over those rows.

Shandeh
02-15-2009, 07:18 PM

I'm wondering if you ladies know a good place to find practice projects. I have plenty of yarn to waste getting up to speed and want to do some beginner projects....
I have a webpage with beginner knitting projects. Just look for the link in my signature on this post.

.........Now my question: I have knit the 4 pieces for my baby raglan sweater. The instructions say to simply 'join all raglan seams.' While I know which seams they are referring to, I am at a loss to know which stitch to use for joining............
If you post this question in the "How To" section of the forum, you'll probably get lots of help. Good luck!

CM99
02-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi all, I'm very new to knitting and am just finishing a little scarf I made for my baby girl. So far so good and I'm looking at my next project, hopefully a little matching hat. Just wanted to say hello to you all before I started picking your brains! I've lots and lots of questions and I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a dig out. I've learned so much from this site and the forum already - it's fantastic. Looking forward to talking to you all soon. C.

tarrentella
02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Hello and welcome to KH. Hope you enjoy it here and find it helpful. Have a good browse through the forms and don't be afarid to ask questions.

Sophie

JuliannaHeiby
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello!
I'm new and I'm really thrilled with this site. The videos helped me teach myself to knit and follow patterns, and I'm really enjoying my new hobby!

I'm looking forward to becomming a new member of this awesome community you all have formed!

mom2esther
02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello,

I taught myself to knit a year and half ago using the videos on this site and have been lurking here ever since. I really like this forum and decided it might just be time to come out of lurkdom.

Carrie

jca2lea2
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Amy,
I'm a computer dummy, and I can't seem to figure out how to introduce myself.
Caroline

Marria
02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Caroline--Welcome to Knitting Help! You might want to post your question in a separate thread so more people will see it.

Do you have a link to the pattern? I've seen a few different shawls with that name.

szulee
02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi, I am Szu and living in Taipei. I started knitting with a colleague and then challenge by looking up nice patterns. Esp love Noro yarns and now, I want to do a new project using Noro Kureyon making a pillow in entrelac pattern. I loaded a pattern shared by Alison but it was hard to comprehend. Anyone has some tip for me. :)

pkeck
02-17-2009, 07:38 AM
My mom showed me basic knit stitches 25 years ago and I've just picked it up again. This is a fabulous, patient, enlightening site... I'm glad to be a part of it. If it becomes necessary to pay membership, I'm totally in just to keep you afloat. Thanks again. PK

tourmaline
02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Hello! This is the second time I've tried to knit. The first time it didn't catch on but this time I'm hooked! I am really enjoying it! I am currently knitting a baby blanket for my baby on the way because I don't want her to feel left out. I have a 14 month old and he got so many beautiful homemade blankets (quilts and knit) as the first typically does. I want the second to have something special as well. My first is a boy and the second is a girl so its nice to knit something pink!

My next two projects are a really chunky sweater for my first and socks for me!

This site has helped immensely. Thanks KH!!

dustinac
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Welcome to KH, everyone :hug:

Hi, I am Szu and living in Taipei. I started knitting with a colleague and then challenge by looking up nice patterns. Esp love Noro yarns and now, I want to do a new project using Noro Kureyon making a pillow in entrelac pattern. I loaded a pattern shared by Alison but it was hard to comprehend. Anyone has some tip for me. :)

Knitting backwards (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATreverse.html)was a great tip for me when starting out with Entrelac. It's really easy to do and then you don't have to keep turning your work :thumbsup:

Jeremy
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone:hug:

sandy52
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Thank you! What a great user-friendly community of knitters!!
Aloha from Hawaii!

newknitterkat
02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
hello! i am a new knitter. ive been on bedrest for 6 weeks, expecting a baby in 12 weeks. ive decided to take up knitting! this website has been fantastic!!! the how to videos have taught me all that i know! thank you so much! i made 12 pairs of mary-jane slippers in 10 days!!!. (everyone i know--young and old---now has a pair!) i have just attempted a dress for my 3-year-old and i will now try to figure out how to start a new thread so that i can ask questions on how to fix it!!! it turned out a disaster! im so disappointed.

minkie
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm Missy. I'm a new knitter from Prince Edward Island. I learned to do garter stitch about 15 years ago, but lost interest pretty quickly. I've always wanted to be able to knit, but felt a little intimidated by it, and didn't have anyone to teach me. So, I turned to the internet, and came across this site. I've learned so much here in the last few weeks :)

About me - I'm a stay at home mom. I love reading, coffee and now, knitting. I hate the cold, and people who let their dogs poop on other people's lawns. Like the lady ACROSS THE STREET RIGHT NOW YOU'D BETTER PICK THAT UP!

(did that make me look a little nuts? um, sorry. It's just something I feel pretty strongly about...)

I have two awesome little girls, aged 4 months and 2 years. I used to be a chef.

I'm glad this forum is here, and I'm looking forward to being part of it!

:woohoo:

Jeremy
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
hello! i am a new knitter. ive been on bedrest for 6 weeks, expecting a baby in 12 weeks. ive decided to take up knitting! this website has been fantastic!!! the how to videos have taught me all that i know! thank you so much! i made 12 pairs of mary-jane slippers in 10 days!!!. (everyone i know--young and old---now has a pair!) i have just attempted a dress for my 3-year-old and i will now try to figure out how to start a new thread so that i can ask questions on how to fix it!!! it turned out a disaster! im so disappointed.

Welcome to the forum. At the top left of every forum page eg General Knitting, there is a button that says "Start a new thread".
Just click on that, put a title in and your question and away you go.

Sansdawn
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site also. My name is Heather and I share my home with my DH, 4 year old Son and our two Great Danes. I can crochet anything, and I think I have, so I decided to learn something new, so I'm teaching myself the art of knitting. :woot: So far I have made a scarf for my son, and have two projects in the works. The first is a baby afghan, and the second is an afghan for our home. The second is more of a "lets see if I can do this stitch" theme. I can't wait to read more posts, but thought I should stop and say HI to everyone!!! :waving:

Arielluria
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
WELCOME! As a dog lover I hope you will find a dog post here and share your large pups' pics with us ;) Knitting is fun and addictive and I gravitate more toward it because I can do it without looking (while watching TV) than I can crochet. Plus it takes up less yarn which leaves more for other projects :woohoo:

You'll love this site!

struggleknit
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone! As my name suggests I am a novice knitter. Although I learnt the basics as a child I have never been able to follow a pattern, but now I am determined to try out simpler ones.

I have been lurking on this site for a few days and now looking forward to getting to grips with my knitting by reading about others problems and getting some answers.

Thanks in advance!

Shandeh
02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :hug:

My name is Caroline and I live on the West Coast of USA................I do have a question?
Does anyone have corrections for the Candle Flame Shawl.
I found corrections for page 2, and I was doing great, then I got to row 27 thru 30, and it was wrong again, not enough stitches.
Hi, I am Szu and living in Taipei...........I want to do a new project using Noro Kureyon making a pillow in entrelac pattern. I loaded a pattern shared by Alison but it was hard to comprehend. Anyone has some tip for me. :)
Hello Caroline and Szu! I'm copying your questions to the "How To" section of our forum, so you'll hopefully get some help there.

NovemberGyspy
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey there,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been teaching myself knitting for a few months now from this site. It's so wonderful! I really appriecate it. I'm sure you will all be just as great! :-P. My favorite things to knit are toys for my baby girl (though she's too little to enjoy them right now)...probably because I get discouraged when the project is really large. Hopefully, I'll get over that. Besides knitting, I'm a new mommy, a recently married wife, and a big animal lover. I write, love to garden, and plant flowers too. When I'm working (I'm a stay-at-home mommy right now) I work with special needs kids and I'm hoping to start volunteering with a dog and my baby to do therapy at hospitals and nursing homes. I'm a bit of a wall-flower, so you probably won't hear too much from me, but I'll keep an eye on the goings-on here! Thanks again for helping make this such a great site.

charmedchic
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I have just recently started taking a knitting class. I love it and find it very relaxing. Does anyone have any suggestions on a first project that would be easy? Thanks so much. :)

Emir
02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone

This is a brilliant site - the videos are so much clearer to follow than pictures from a book...
I have recently started knitting again after many years with the intention of making some nice clothes!

I am currently working on a hat - i think it may take a wile lol :-)

Amnarie
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi, I'm Annemarie from the Netherlands. I dabbled in some knitting before, but have been seriously getting into it over the past few months, and this site is an absolute treasure trove for techniques and tips! I am soooo happy to have found it! (And the forum!)

crochetladyny
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
My name is Sheila aka crochetladyny,
Just wanted to say hello!!!!
It is snowing here again at present, we have had a lot of snow this winter. At present I am looking for baby patterns to knit or crochet. I have another grandbaby on the way and my son and girlfriend do nor have a lot of money to get stuff so I am going to make tham AMAP. I have gleamed several kiomono type tops and a pattern for footed leg warmers. Also blankets, and all the other neccessities. The baby is due the end of September. I am going to teach his gf to knit starting her off with a diagonal baby blanket pattern.:-P If any one has any good patterns that they have tried and liked really well please share. TY in advance.

Crochetladyny

yaya62
02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
One of the knitting stores in my daughter's hometown told me about this site. It looks really good. The forum will be very helpful if I can figure out how to ask a question. I know that I on the Introduce yourself thread, but where do I go to ask a question and how do I get a box to open so I can ask the question? Not a young as some of you - please bear with me - I will learn and get better

flyawaytofun
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm so glad I found this website:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I only have been knitting about 6 wks and I'm working on a throw with all knit stitches.

leftynewbie
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi there,

I'm Jennifer. I used to knit then fell away from it for a very long time but have wanted to get back to it. I'm left handed and can't remember how to cast on :teehee: I can crochet left handed tho..... single stich mainly. See ya round

CynergyDiva
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Well I just joined this site about 20 mins ago. I actually stumbled on it looking for an answer for someone in another forum I belong to. This looks like a great place to hang out.

musicangel24
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi,

My name is Kristin. I'm 24 yrs old and from Jacksonville,FL. I started knitting about 6 months ago right before I got into a car accident. I was injured pretty seriously, so knitting has pretty much become my lifeline. There's something about it thats so relaxing! I'm actually in the midst of several projects. I'm finishing a scarf for my fiance. I'm also looking for patterns for a baby blanket for a friend and I would like to find a pattern for a pretty, and easy, lacy shawl that would go with my wedding dress. I have the color picked out its a cream colored cotton lace thread. So, any helpful tips on patterns would be great!
Can't wait to get to know ya'll!

Kristin

Marymac
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Hi, my screen name is Marymac. I came across this site while desperately looking for help with a pattern. I started knitting again almost one year ago and I am becoming the blanket queen! I am ready to move on to other things (but I do love my blankets) and this site looks like a great place to be. I'm enjoying my knitting again. I love the rhythm of it - until I make a really really bad mistake and have to rip back or, worse, start over. That was what happened to me tonight---sigh. M :knitting:

Shandeh
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM

I have just recently started taking a knitting class. I love it and find it very relaxing. Does anyone have any suggestions on a first project that would be easy? Thanks so much. :)
I have a webpage that lists several good beginner projects. Just click the link in my signature below. :)

My name is Sheila aka crochetladyny,
.................If any one has any good patterns that they have tried and liked really well please share. TY in advance.
Hi Sheila,
You'll find lots of baby patterns here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby.php

One of the knitting stores in my daughter's hometown told me about this site. It looks really good. The forum will be very helpful if I can figure out how to ask a question. I know that I on the Introduce yourself thread, but where do I go to ask a question and how do I get a box to open so I can ask the question? Not a young as some of you - please bear with me - I will learn and get better
Go to the main forum page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/), and look for the "How To Questions" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section in the list on that page. Click that section, then click "New Thread" to start a new discussion about your question.
:thumbsup:

Hi there,
I'm Jennifer. I used to knit then fell away from it for a very long time but have wanted to get back to it. I'm left handed and can't remember how to cast on :teehee: I can crochet left handed tho..... single stich mainly. See ya round
Here are some links for left-handed knitting:
http://www.theknittingsite.com/how-to-knit-left-handed.htm
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATmirror.html
http://learn-to-knit.com/left.htm
Also, Amy has a couple videos here in the forum for left-handed knitters as well. Good luck!

My name is Kristin. I'm 24 yrs old and from Jacksonville,FL............I'm also looking for patterns for a baby blanket for a friend and I would like to find a pattern for a pretty, and easy, lacy shawl that would go with my wedding dress.
You might want to post a question in our "Pattern Central" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20) section. You also might find some patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com)

kferrand
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi. My name is Kathie, and I'm fairly new to knitting. My daughter wanted to learn so I went with her for lessons. I'm working on an n afghan that has individual squares so that I can learn new stitches and not get bored by doing the same thing. A co-worker of mine is also doing it so we try to help each other out. I am having trouble with the website videos. They don't seem to close when I "x" out, and then I hear the previous video under the new one I'm trying to listen to. I would love to see more "how to fix mistake" videos. Thanks for all the help your videos have already given me. I love this site and have told my knitting buddies about it.

BetsyAnn
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
This is actually 2 firsts for me. Brand new knitter and first time chat room user, so Hello to everyone and please bear with me. I found this website while looking for an answer to seaming a ribbed and St st cap, my first project. The video for the mattress seam was The Best and the more I browsed the site, the friendlier it seemed!
Now the problem - I cannot find anywhere on how to seam a k2p2 rib seam so that the rib on the right side is not interrupted. Help!

Ehtesham
02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
:woot: I am new. I was looking for such kind of useful and helpful site. I am extremely happy getting you all here. Hope my journey to learning arena would be fine. Thanks all

phyl
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Hello All,
So glad to have found you. I live in a rather small city in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where the winters are looooong, and cold. So there is plenty of time to knit. I also am a avid reader, the my time between the two is sometimes quite a competition. If only I could find a way to read and knit at the same time. Ha.

Anyhow, I am trying to learn to knit socks. I have raveled [my grandmother's word] out the heel so many times, that I am worried that the yarn is going to be worn out before the sock is finished.
:knitting: :knitting:
I am very glad to be a part of this web site.

Best to all, keep warm,
phyllis

plr1955
02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I am a beginning knitter, so new, I really can't call myself a knitter. I am using the online videos to teach myself. First lesson, long-tail cast on is the easiest method I have seen. I have tried a couple of times before to learn to knit, but it seemed really difficult by the means other had used to teach me. I finally gave up and stayed with crochet. I like the look of knit much better than crochet and decided to give it a try again.

Thanks for the great site!
:cheering:

Trisha

IcelandicWool
02-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Thats just great web. I am sure that I can use it :o)

Thanks
Gudr˙n
www.theicelandicwool.etsy.com

stitchabit
02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
This is actually 2 firsts for me. Brand new knitter and first time chat room user, so Hello to everyone and please bear with me. I found this website while looking for an answer to seaming a ribbed and St st cap, my first project. The video for the mattress seam was The Best and the more I browsed the site, the friendlier it seemed!
Now the problem - I cannot find anywhere on how to seam a k2p2 rib seam so that the rib on the right side is not interrupted. Help!

Hello BetsyAnn;
I am also a fist time forum user. How do you start a new thread?

toosassy02
02-20-2009, 09:38 PM
What is the meaning for 2H inch?:shrug:

Mrowcat
02-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi, I'm Amanda from the mountains of North Carolina and I found this website (and forum) linked on another crafting board. I wanted to learn how to knit and I'm so glad that Knitting Help was the first place I came to.

emyem
02-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi fellow knitters! I've found this site a few years ago and it has been very helpful in learning all things knitting. Now I've gotten comfortable with knitting, but alot of times I have questions regarding projects. It's nice to know now that I have people that can answer all these questions!:) :)

betblake
02-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi, I am brand new to this group and going to need lots of help! It has been many years since I have done much knitting, but I have taken it up again in the past few months. Now, I am ready to tackle the Great American Aran Afghan:roflhard: I have an idea I am getting in over my head so am counting on the pros in here for lots of help.

knittingpretty
02-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi all.
I found this site last year and have had alot of great help from it, so I finally decided to join. I was first introduced to knitting in my teens but I didn't stick with it. My step daughter had suggested I should take up knitting... something about my compulsion to keep things organized and in line... everything in it's place and a place for everything. She thought I would love to reorganize a stitch from one needle to another. I must say she was right. very right. and I am grateful. I have a knack for taking on projects that are beyound me so I am in need of help most of the time. I have learned a great deal from this site and I know that I will continue to learn for a long time to come. I just want to say thanks for being here so far and I look forward to long relationship.

mandismom
02-21-2009, 10:25 PM
:knitting: hi amy and group, glad i found you,
been knitting/crocheting for a long time,
mostly stay with relaxing patterns now so nice to meet you all:muah:

needlegirl
02-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I was browsing the internet looking for yarn and found this site. I am a knitter from way back ...learned as a little girl on pencils!!! Just picked it up again in the last few years. There is alot I dont know and will be looking forward to checking this site out for help.. t appears that it an awsome site full of info!

Marria
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi to all the new folks! :waving: I don't participate in internet forums much, but I just love this one and I think you will too. Everyone is so friendly and helpful here. So jump right in if you have questions or want to post pictures of your projects.

Pattani
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi to everyone.

i am new to your group.

thanx

PattyWI01
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just started knitting a few weeks ago and found your site today. I finished a hat (my class project) and am now working on a pair of
mittens for my teenage daughter. Aaahhhh! I've gotten to the
thumb and am already wishing I had made a scarf! I'm lost as to how to cast 2 stitches after I slip those 10 stitches onto the holder for the thumb. What do I cast them on TO? And continue around WHAT? Anybody who can help me here?

newtonizer
02-23-2009, 01:49 AM
I am very new to knitting. I did a couple of things in my youth when I had a whiz knitter mother around but I never got the hang of it. Now I have grandchildren and I recently read a book (novel) by Debbie MacComber which renewed my interest in knitting. perhaps some of you might have read her book, it is called The Shop on Blossom Street and it is yarn shop and the heroine in the story teaches knitting. Anyway there is a pattern in the front of the book that is supposed to be very simple. It is a baby blanket for a crib. I thought...wow....I can do that.

Well it is done on circular needles but it is a flat piece. I have tried 6 times and I keep getting the knitting joined, making it like a tube. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Can anyone tell me? I am ready to throw it all away. HELP!

If I should be posting this somewhere elese please let me know. Remeber, I am very knew, to this site and to knitting.

SuzanneL
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I've been knitting forever but feel like a newcomer with all the new projects and techniques I'm learning. I attend two knitting groups that meet weekly and have made many new friends whose projects are an inspiration. The current explosion in knitting is really quite wonderful.

SuzanneL
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
All you need to do is to knit to the end of the row of stitches and then turn the needles around so the yarn is at the beginning of the row and begin the next row just like you did the last row. If it's joined then you're not turning the needles around. You do this just like you'd work on straight needles. You're not alone, everyone I know who knits gets stuck on things that later seem simple.

newtonizer
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Suzanne, thank you sooooo much for the information re the circular needles. I can't believe it is that simple. Every time I do it, it is joined but when I check this site it says clearly you can knit flat on circular needles. Nice if the pattern had told me that. It is supposed to be very basic for beginners.

Thank you again. I will try it. Hopefully I get it this time.

sgtpam
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Well it is done on circular needles but it is a flat piece. I have tried 6 times and I keep getting the knitting joined, making it like a tube. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Can anyone tell me? I am ready to throw it all away. HELP!

It also helps (me) if you use a stitch marker to mark the space between the start and the end. If you don't have a stitch marker, that's no problem! Just use a piece of yarn to mark it (I like to use a different (therefore, obvious) yarn as a marker.

Welcome..........good luck.

kd1949
02-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi. I have been a member of this forum for a few years, but I have been on a knitting "vacation" for quite a while, so I haven't visited. I picked up my needles again and so I'm back!

I was an inexperienced knitter when I quit out of frustration at being unable to do much beyond garter stitch. I have found that the purl stitch is much easier for me now, maybe because the built-up frustration has settled? Anyway, I am ready to move on to things just a bit more complicated than garter stitch scarves now!

I have to say that the videos here have been the most help of anything I have ever tried, including all the books I own and the in-person classes I took. I learned my first knitting from this site, and when I started again, I had completely forgotten how to do a long-tail cast-on, so I came here and was on my way.

Owning the CDs with the videos is the best knitting investment there is, in my opinion!

nanataughtmetoknit
02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
This seems to be a great place to be if you have knittin questions. I will be sure to visitit more and more.

julie48x
02-24-2009, 10:20 AM
My name is Julie I am a fairly new knitter and I am wondering if anyone has any tricks or suggestions on how to use fun fur yarn I seem to be making a knotty mess!!!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

julie48X

AH1OZ
02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
hello, i'm another Amy. i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to knitting even though i have been knitting for years

maisiemacchester
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi, just joined. Am getting ready to block and seam my first sweater where I CARE ABOUT THE SEAMS! Yikes!

I'm a Colinette junkie, currently, so if you have Colinette stash, drop me a line! Or Colinette pattern books you want to get rid of.

Anyone out there who has blocked and seamed Colinette Point 5 is welcome to offer tips and support! XXOO Jann

cpopenfus
02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
delighted to have found this site. i am a relatively new knitter but passionate - i love the whole zen of it- please bear with me if i ask too many questions - sometimes i have a hard time wrapping my brain around a concept, or rather i can rationalize it in my head but cannot execute.

thank you for a wonderful site and new friends--

cp:yay:

mayashi
02-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi to everyone. I am new to knitting and love this website everytime I need help. Often run in to problem so I think this will be great help to me. Again hello to everyone. Thanks,

Shandeh
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi. My name is Kathie..........I am having trouble with the website videos. They don't seem to close when I "x" out, and then I hear the previous video under the new one I'm trying to listen to......
Hi Kathie. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the videos. I'll let the website admin know.

This is actually 2 firsts for me. Brand new knitter and first time chat room user..........
I'll copy your question to the "How To" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section. You'll probably get some answers there. :)

Hello BetsyAnn;
I am also a fist time forum user. How do you start a new thread?
Just go to the section of the forum you want to start your discussion. Then click the "New Thread" button at the top left side of the page. Good luck! :thumbsup:

What is the meaning for 2H inch?:shrug:
Not sure what that is referring to. You might want to post your question in the "How To" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section. Be sure to post information about the pattern you're using as well. But do not post the entire pattern in the forum - we must consider copyright laws.

Hi Everyone! I just started knitting a few weeks ago and found your site today. I finished a hat (my class project) and am now working on a pair of mittens for my teenage daughter. Aaahhhh! I've gotten to the thumb and am already wishing I had made a scarf! I'm lost as to how to cast 2 stitches after I slip those 10 stitches onto the holder for the thumb. What do I cast them on TO? And continue around WHAT? Anybody who can help me here?
I'll copy your question in the "How To" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section, so you'll get some answers. :)

I am very new to knitting.........it is done on circular needles but it is a flat piece. I have tried 6 times and I keep getting the knitting joined, making it like a tube. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Can anyone tell me? I am ready to throw it all away. HELP!
It looks like you've already gotten some answers, but I'll post a link to my video about it as well. Good luck! :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYrhp8yjMc

My name is Julie I am a fairly new knitter and I am wondering if anyone has any tricks or suggestions on how to use fun fur yarn I seem to be making a knotty mess!!!
Hi Julie. You'll find lots of patterns for using fun fur yarn on the Lion Brand website.
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?V2=1&search=Search&searchText=&craft=Knit&cost=&subcategory=&componentCategoryKey=1419764&categoryKey=&edition=&size=&searchType=0&publisher=&search=Search

rockytide
02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi, I am brand new at knitting. I took a class at the local community college and only learned how to cast on, knit, purl and cast off. The website is really terrific with good close shots of how tos. I would like to make a basic scarf, and would like to know what kind of pattern is best for a "real" beginner?
Thanks Much!
KAF

OxxxAmandaxxxO
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi, oops, sorry, I'm distracted. I like smilies and you have loads of great ones! :yay:
*snaps out of it*
I registered to say a big THANK YOU to Amy & Sheldon for the site, and videos.
My name is Amanda and I'm English. I was taught to knit at primary school. I didn't pick it up again untill I was 19. I tried to knit some mittens (From a pattern.) for a friend having a baby. The first one came out about a foot long! :roflhard: I soon thankfully got back into the swing of things though.
I've knitted on and off since then usually making toys (Dolls, teddies, footballers, ect.) as gifts for family. They usually involve simple patterns and just knit and purl stitches.
I'm going to be an Auntie again soon and found the most beautiful pattern, a four piece Matinee set for 0-3 month olds. I intend to knit this for my new niece/nephew. :) The only trouble was, when I got it it had instructions like yfwd, psso and tbs. :?? lol.
I Googled 'Knitting abbreviations explained,' and found this site. I've been looking for a few hours and have found it invaluble so far. That Long-Tail Cast-On is amazing! I've been practising already. I have over 200 stitches to cast on for the pattern on one piece so it'll really help, and it's fun!
So there's a bit of my knitting history, and how I found the site. Once again I'd like to thank you for the wonderful free information you have made available, and the invaluble videos too. :muah:
I look foward to meeting you all and having some good chats about knitting and such. :)
Thank you again,
Amanda. :)

Shandeh
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi. My name is Kathie, and I'm fairly new to knitting. My daughter wanted to learn so I went with her for lessons. I'm working on an n afghan that has individual squares so that I can learn new stitches and not get bored by doing the same thing. A co-worker of mine is also doing it so we try to help each other out. I am having trouble with the website videos. They don't seem to close when I "x" out, and then I hear the previous video under the new one I'm trying to listen to. I would love to see more "how to fix mistake" videos. Thanks for all the help your videos have already given me. I love this site and have told my knitting buddies about it.
Kathie, if you scroll to the VERY bottom of this webpage, you'll see some links above the Knitting Help copyright notice. One of those links says "Video Problems?". Click that to get some assistance for your problem. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
02-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

Hi, I am brand new at knitting. I took a class at the local community college and only learned how to cast on, knit, purl and cast off. The website is really terrific with good close shots of how tos. I would like to make a basic scarf, and would like to know what kind of pattern is best for a "real" beginner? Thanks Much! KAF

Hello rockytide!
If you look at the links in my signature below, you'll see one that says "Beginner Knitting Patterns". It's a webpage I made with links to very easy knitting patterns for beginners. Hope it helps! :)

gabbi2306
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
been knitting a while now but nothing adventurous. this site has helped me. thank you. xx

knitbeginner
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi ,
My name is Carol and I am from Calgary,AB. I am learning how to knit because I would like to learn how to make socks .
Feel free to email me and lets talk .
Happy to be here . :woot:

rockytide
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi,
I just joined the forum and looking forward to using it for questions and ideas. I am a "very" beginner knitter as I just learned how to cast on, knit and purl. The instructor for the class went a bit too fast for most of us, but told us about this web site. The close up video demonstrations are excellent and easy to follow. I have been practicing my cast on, knit and purl. Any suggestions as to what kind of scarf pattern is easy to start with and follow? Any thoughts are appreciated..

Looking forward to hearing from you!
KAF

Arielluria
02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
WELCOME ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug: <group hug> :teehee:

I recommend you start your own post on an easy scarf pattern, you'll get TONS of reply and they will all be JUST about your question. Here's my first (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Arielluria/genesis-scarf---the-one-that-started-it-all) (Ravelry link) and I just winged it. It gave me the knitting bug. There ARE tons of free patterns though!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/2051191038_11e1bde6b1.jpg

jemma
02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
I can't believe i have found such a good knitting site. I am knitting this cropped velvet hoodie and i need to finish the hood part of it but i can't work out how to do it. I need HELP, any ideas would be apreciated.

jemma
02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
here is my first dog jumper. i had to make it smaller cos my dog is a very thin jack russle and is so cute.

Keli
02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi my name is Keli. My blog is www.paradiseoffiber.blogspot.com
I love to spin, dye and knit. I really want to learn Yarn Harlots way of holding her yarn in her right hand with the needle under her armpit. :knitting:

Mylife
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Thank you!
I am excited to have found this site.
My name is Elsa. I live in Houston, Texas. I was born San Angelo, Texas many moons ago. I am Spanish, with French and Italian decent. Some of my family speak all languages. I only speak one and a half. My French and Italian is much worst than my Spanish.
I learned to Sew, crochet, knit at age 8. I started quiting when I was 21, I am now 53 and a Grandmother for the first time. I have two kids, one of each.
I also do gardening, (plants and veatables). Nothing is better than fresh veatables, don't have to buy them in the store. This part of the country where I live I can have them year round. I was picking tomatoes all winter. Other than my crafts, this makes me feel good.
I like to go camping, fishing, hiking and antique shopping.
I love to cook and bake, to me it is an art. My son still lives at home, he is in High School, one more year to go. He prefers to eat at home, than for us going out to eat, thats how much he likes my cooking, he sometimes invites some of his freinds over for dinner. My husband wants to give me a break now and then, more less on a weekend. that is when my son winds up staying over a freinds and eats their moms cooking.
Well, there is always something new or advance to learn in life.
Like knitting (ssk), I had not seen that before among a few others, but your site helped me pick the stiches up pretty quick.
I knitted afagans, sweaters, mittens and hats.
Something just accured to me when I was in a store, a week ago looking at some yarn. A couple of women came up to me and they do not speak English. I speak very little, but understand it alot and can read it.
They asked me if I kntted and crochet and in my broken spanish I told them yes.
They then proceeded to tell me that they only know the basics Knit and Purl, they did not know how to do the different patterns, being everything was in English and they could not read the instructions.
I can invite them to my house to show them how but it would not help them wanting to pick a book out when they are not with me to start on another project.
I will show them this sight if that will help them any in seeing the vidios.
Could you tell me if there there books out that are in Spanish?

knitbeginner
02-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi
My name is Carol and I live in Calgary ,AB . I am just starting to learn how to knit , but I also know how to crochet .
if you what to leave me a message that would be great . I glad that I found this website . it will help me a lot .
Happy knitting everyone

Nimy
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Love the site. It has alot of good information in it. :thumbsup:

Flaxscutch
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone: I started knitting when I was a child but never got beyond knit 1 purl 2. I just started knitting again and I can't believe what beautiful yarns and patterns exist and all of the wonderful stitches there are. I'm glad I found this site -

dendiber
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi, I'm glad I found your site. Looking forward to using it again.
___
Diana
Bergeron, Marthaville, LA

sharay
02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Hello!

My knitting skills are bare-bones, but I've been learning more by reading books, using sites such as this, and practice, practice, practice (rip, rip, rip)... I'm looking forward to learning many new skills.

Sharay

kmentel
02-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello all. I'm not sure how many of you even check this site anymore now that you're all experienced. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am brand new to knitting, I literally just learned the day before yesterday and I'm already packed with questions.

This amazing site should be loads of help. Be prepared to be bombarded with the easiest little questions!

carmagno
02-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I just found this site and thought it would be fun to join. I have been knitting on and off for many years, but soon I will be retiring and so I hope to be doing more knitting and spinning. I would love to share ideas with other people so I can learn more and also be inspired!! Now I just need to learn how to navigate around this site - I am not too good with computers:)

WVTracy
02-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi all, I decided to use the forum as I have many questions sometimes but don't have the time to run down to my local knitting shop for help. I'm excited to read through the posts to see what's being discussed. I learned to knit two years ago but quickly goted frustrated and quit. I picked it up again this winter and now can't quit. I'm working on socks like crazy, knitting myself a sweater and a little cotton coat for my grand daughter. Live in VA but originally from WV....and that's where my heart is. Love hand work, am a needlework designer but have put my linen down for a while since the knitting needles are taking up all of my extra time. Nice to be here and look forward to getting to "know" many of you!
Tracy

MargaretRuss
02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Hello, and good evening! I've been on many knitting websites but never signed up to be able to join in on any chats and participate as a member of the "community". I am looking forward to it.
I love knitting and am always working on SOMETHING, whether it's a gift for a new grandchild or just trying something new. I would love to learn more intricate and detailed patterns but I'm not real good at the bobbin-thing, carrying multiple colors! I am self taught and last year I tackled socks (the RIGHT way). I began knitting about 35 years ago ... and, like a lot of you I'm sure, had to 'put it down' while my four kids were little, and picked it up again when my first granddaughter came along twelve years ago! That's it, in a nutshell.
I look forward to learning more and enjoying this site.
Margaret Russ - Riverton, NJ

Bev22
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Margaret,

I started knitting about 2 months ago. I spent a month with my sister-in-law after she lost her husband and she took me to the knitting store and bought yarn for my first project. I knitted a scarf and gave it to my daughter. She loved it. I had questions about some stitches and a lady at the yarn shop told me about this website. I love it and have watched the videos over and over. It is so great! I'm working on a basket weave afgan, a vest and a white cotton hoodie. It is so relaxing and do most of my knitting at night when watching TV.

This is the first forum that I have ever joined and I'm looking forward to meeting others.

Houdini
03-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Hello knitting Queens!

I am working on my first sweater for my girlfriend and I've come accross a bit of a roadblock. I had just completed 3/4 of the sleeve in stockinette stitch when she tried it on and we realized that the sleeves are too narrow. Does anyone know how to add to a sleeve w/out sewing extra pieces together? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, this is a great site!

Thanks!
Erin

anniethenanny
03-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I am new but very excited to be here.
I just bought a new pattern for felted slippers I make felted socks all the time but these are the slip on kind,anyway the 6th row says knit 12 wrap and turn I dont know how to do the wrap.
Can anyone help?
Thanks ann

gerr
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

I learned to knit mostly from this site as I was housebound all of 2006 and needed something to do to preserve my sanity. An art teacher by trade, I suddenly found myself physically incapable of making art and needed a creative outlet that gave me a sense of being a productive human being. Voila this website! Been knitting up a storm ever since I first laid hands on a fabulous set of circular needles and Amy Findlay's demos are so good that I've been able to knit shawls, sweaters, baby gifts, you name it. Of course it's taken practice and a lot of frogging (rip it, rip it), but knitting has given me a lot of joy and lots of joy to the people who have received hand knitted gifts. One thing I have learned is that it's better to have ripped than to never have ripped at all, and also here's another motto, "As ye knit, so shall ye rip". As it is not always possible to fix mistakes and make the garment look as it should, it's just better to rip it and re-knit. Remember that failure teaches success, and that will help you create garments that look fantastic.

yeswecan
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
this site is simply amazing...i just started knitting a month ago and everytime i have a problem i go to knittinghelp...:knitting: :thumbsup:

MarthaIn
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi, I am Martha and I live in Indiana.
I'm so happy to find this forum. There aren't alot of ways for me to find help when I need it. I can't keep bothering people with phone calls the minute I have a question.
I've asked one question here and got a great response very quickly! I'm so impressed. This is wonderful!

I am also learning alot from your "How to videos" ....they are great.

I guess I'm kind of a "medium beginner?" lol
I've knitted simple afghans, seamed hats, dishcloths, and most recently, a few of those beautiful cotton rugs.
I'm determined to tackle the project of knitting my first sweater.

I will probably come here quite often for help.
Thank you for this web site. I love it.

Martha

stitchabit
03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi, I am Martha and I live in Indiana.
I'm so happy to find this forum. There aren't alot of ways for me to find help when I need it. I can't keep bothering people with phone calls the minute I have a question.
I've asked one question here and got a great response very quickly! I'm so impressed. This is wonderful!

I am also learning alot from your "How to videos" ....they are great.

I guess I'm kind of a "medium beginner?" lol
I've knitted simple afghans, seamed hats, dishcloths, and most recently, a few of those beautiful cotton rugs.
I'm determined to tackle the project of knitting my first sweater.

I will probably come here quite often for help.
Thank you for this web site. I love it.

Martha

Hi Martha

Welcome, I am fairly new here too. I Love your little knitting guy. Where did you find him? I don't know how to add one on to my profile yet.