PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30

Shandeh
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

I can't believe i have found such a good knitting site. I am knitting this cropped velvet hoodie and i need to finish the hood part of it but i can't work out how to do it. I need HELP, any ideas would be apreciated.
If you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section, you'll get some help, I'm sure. Good luck!

.....My name is Elsa. I live in Houston, Texas...........Could you tell me if there there books out that are in Spanish?
I recently found a book with English and Spanish instructions. Here is a link on the internet that shows the book:
"Simple Sassy Fashions (http://www.bargainyarns.com/yarn/Hot_Bargains-Simple_Sassy_Fashions-4259.html)"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3320693887_da491c31a7.jpg

......I had just completed 3/4 of the sleeve in stockinette stitch when she tried it on and we realized that the sleeves are too narrow. Does anyone know how to add to a sleeve w/out sewing extra pieces together?
If you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section, you'll get some help. :thumbsup:

I just bought a new pattern for felted slippers I make felted socks all the time but these are the slip on kind,anyway the 6th row says knit 12 wrap and turn I dont know how to do the wrap.
Hi Ann - Here's a video that shows how to do a "wrap and turn".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki9uQZZMsGM

Lumiere
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Hello all!

Have learned a lot from this site, but have sooo long to go yet. Looking forward to it though :)

MarthaIn
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Martha

Welcome, I am fairly new here too. I Love your little knitting guy. Where did you find him? I don't know how to add one on to my profile yet.

Hi!
The little knitting guy is a graphic I got from a web site. It's not so difficult to do, really. You can right click on an image and "save as" then copy and paste it here in your profile section.

TheKnittingNovice
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi All,

I just found this site and I am hoping that by joining this site I will learn from all of you out there who love to knit. I tried to learn to knit about 15 years ag, but with little success. I am a lefty who did not learn to tell her left from right until about age 25! So, as you can imagine, knitting has been a bit of a mystery to me! I picked up yarn and kneedles yesterday and have decided to give knitting another try. I should mention here that my Scottish-Canadian grandmother was a fearsome knitter. I hope to learn not only about how to knit, but also I would like to learn about the "Scottish knitting" method and any history on knitting as it relates to Scottish culture. Thanks for such a wonderful website and I look forward to learning from you all!

The Knitting Novice

ideefix
03-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Good morning,

Thanks for the welcome.
My old mother (95) livesr in a,assisted living, apartment and she decided to knit again. I visit her 3times a week and decided to join her in that.
However it has been more than 30 years since I had knitting needles in my hands and I have now a heap of knitting books lying beside me and lots of questions.
Talk to you soon,

Ideefix

SoccerMomKnits
03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lennette, I am a 31 year old single mom of an amazing 13 year old. I live in Florida. I have been knitting for 11 years. I can't wait to browse the site.

jasmine
03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
hi my name is jamine

jasmine
03-06-2009, 08:24 PM
i need help getting started

Judy57
03-06-2009, 10:19 PM
My sister got me started knitting right after Christmas and now I think I might be addicted! So far I've only finished an easy scarf and am working on a table runner now. I'm still learning and can't imagine yet knitting anything but flat for awhile yet! I am so thrilled to find this site while looking for more help. Boy you can learn anything on the web! I am so grateful to everyone that has come before me as I've already learned quite a bit just from reading some of the threads! Thanks to all!

RuthPauline
03-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to this type of communication and would
like to become part of your group. I have a few questions but
don't know where to start. Any help would be most appreciative.
In particular I love to Knit, Crochet and some craft work.
I sell some of what I make at our local craft fair in October.
Thanks. Ruth

salevy
03-07-2009, 01:37 PM
My name is Shari. I live in Suffern, NY with my husband.

My grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet many years ago. I've been crocheting since 1972 and I finally figured out the knitting in 1980 when grandmother was senile and paralyzed in a nursing home.

I am very involved with Project Linus in my area. All my blankets go there, unless mother (who lives across the parking lot from me) takes them from Project Linus and says use them for friends and family.

I have 7 Works In Progress (WIPs) going:

2 Project Linus Blankets
1 Baby Aran for cousin due in June
1 Aran Isles for niece getting married in April
Baby Poncho for stepniece due in June
Masters Level 1 for The Knitting Guild
Christmas Aran for whatever year it gets done for office party raffle.

Shari

angields
03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I am so excited! I was searching for knitted bracelets and just happened to find you! This looks like fun!

Dordie
03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the group. I have been crocheting for 37 years or more and now I am trying my hand at teaching myself to knit.

I have knitted very small things like a headband, potholder, etc. I really love the Baby Surprise Jacket.

Any help you guys can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks For Sharing,
Dordie

Augusta
03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the group! I'm new too but I think that this is a great sight.
Maybe we can help each other who knows?

msmom74
03-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi there, I am teaching myself to knit and have a novice question. I am attempting a baby blanket. It called for 120 cast ons and then knit the next row, etc. My questions is why do I end up with more than 120 knit stitches. I hope someone can help with with this. I am tired of starting over and do not know how to correct.

hatdragon
03-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Hey everyone. I'm new here and new to the needles in general. I just picked up my first set and cast on about a week ago! I'm definitely learning and am excited to be doing so. It's been fun. Just thought I would introduce myself and what not.

I'm Krys and I'm a 32 year old computer programmer by trade looking for a new hobby and a way to just relax and pass the time. My wife has been knitting and crocheting off and on for a while and I thought that I might pick it up and give it a go as well. So, here I am.

Anyway, what do you all recommend as good beginners projects?

:)

bimvancannes
03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi, My name is viv I have just found this web site and decided to regester,so I hope to hear from others maybe even help. I have just started knitting again after a 15 year gap, we bought a farm and time is tight. My Granddaughter was fasinated (have knitted her a cardigan already) well bye for now hear from you soon i hope.

azallyd
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi I love this site and find it so helpful with the videos. I'm a new knitter. I've made a scarf and a wrap I'm so proud. I'm also new to chatting on the internet. I have a question about the Tee I working on now. Since size matters the pattern states to measure from cast on edge do I take the needles out to get the measurement?
azallyd

DollyC
03-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I had been using this webpage for a number of years. How many times I had to search for those handy videos! or learn a new trick in this wonderful world of knitting.
But I never notice until recently this great FORUM.
So is about time I say hello to everyone!
Nice to be here.
A big hug to all,
Dolly
http://mrsknitaddict.blogspot.com/

HiDhoGdNbr
03-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Don't worry.....we'll all get through this together!
I'm a newbie too! All to thankful for the videos!
Welcome!

Shandeh
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :muah:

i need help getting started
Hello Jasmine! :waving:
If you want help getting started knitting, here's where you'll go:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

If you want help getting started in the forum, go here to the main forum page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/

Hi everyone. I am new to this type of communication and would like to become part of your group. I have a few questions but don't know where to start. Any help would be most appreciative.
Hi Ruth. :)
If you want to ask a question in the forum, go to this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Then, click the "New Thread" button, and type your question. Be sure to check back to read the responses to your post.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hello Everyone...........Any help you guys can give me will be appreciated.
Hi Dordie! :hug:
If you're looking for help with the Baby Surprise Jacket, there are several discussions in the forum about it.
Here's the knit-along discussion we have:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51509
Here's an offsite webpage about the jacket:
http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket
And here's another offsite page with notes on using the pattern:
http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm

Hi there, I am teaching myself to knit and have a novice question. I am attempting a baby blanket. It called for 120 cast ons and then knit the next row, etc. My questions is why do I end up with more than 120 knit stitches.
Lots of beginning knitters have trouble adding "mysterious extra stitches" when knitting. Here's a discussion we have in the forum about it:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32886

Hey everyone. I'm new here and new to the needles in general. I just picked up my first set and cast on about a week ago!..............what do you all recommend as good beginners projects?
I made a webpage with links to easy beginner projects. You'll see the link "Beginner Knitting Patterns" in my profile signature below.
Here's a link as well: http://shandehknitting.blogspot.com/2008/06/easy-knitting-patterns-for-beginning.html

Hi I love this site and find it so helpful with the videos............I have a question about the Tee I working on now. Since size matters the pattern states to measure from cast on edge do I take the needles out to get the measurement?
You should leave the needles in the project, and measure from the cast on edge to the top of the knitting needles.

Good luck! :)

MagnoliaMaggie
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
The videos on this site have been so helpful to me as I tackle my first major project!! Thanks a million!! I'm looking forward to crawling through the ideas for my next project - and having a handy group of experts to help me out of sticky situations! :-)

Maggie

knitnstitch
03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

My name is Emma, I'm 29 and from Glasgow in the UK. I'm engaged (again... been divorced since Oct 2004) and I have 3 kiddies.

I was pointed in the direction of this forum by Google when I done a search for a pattern I'm after because the book it is in is out of print (typical huh?). But while I was here I thought "nice place" and here I am!

I have been knitting on and off since childhood really. But I'm also in to Cross Stitch, baking and just recently, cake decorating... still learning.

So.. hope to chat with you all soon!

Love Emz xxx

kathpeak
03-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Hello there,

My name is Katherine and I am from the South-east of Ireland. As a mother of one very cute, 7 month old baby I am not getting much time to knit/crochet at the moment. The last project was a simple cardigan which was knitted a half row at a time. My knitting has been pretty basic until now, but I am looking forward to a bit more of a challenge.
Aside from knitting and crochet, I enjoy most types of crafts, but pyrography and dressmaking are my favourites. The garden occupies the majority of my spare time though. We moved to our home 3 years ago and have started a 1 acre garden from scratch. (with lousy clay soil *weeps copiously*)

Looking forward to participating

K

knittingincarolina
03-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm a self taught knitter, we won't say how long ago.:wink: I belong to a knitting circle at work and enjoy relaxing with a good ball of yarn.

Terina

Mylife
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
:knitting: What I wound up doing is I got into a site that translates English into Spanish and typed up all the Knitting abbreviations and translated them into Spanish ( made a chart). Then I translated one of my instructions for dishclothes into Spanish. I will be teaching my new friends how to knit and show them this site so they can at least see the vidios for some of the stitches. I longed to have friends that liked doing what I like to do and now they happen to cross my path. They may not speak English, but they will soon learn. We have a new center that is fixing to open up in my community and asked if anyone had any classes that they would like to teach or classes they like to learn. I think I would like to give a class in knitting. I like your site, it is very informative and easy to understand. There is so much information given by this site and those writen in. I never gotton on the net much, but now you all got me hooked.:grphug: I recently found a book with English and Spanish instructions. Here is a link on the internet that shows the book:
"Simple Sassy Fashions (http://www.bargainyarns.com/yarn/Hot_Bargains-Simple_Sassy_Fashions-4259.html)"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3320693887_da491c31a7.jpg

maggiemun
03-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi, I have just joined this fabulous site and I can see already that I shall be turning to it on a regular basis . . . I am ready to tear my hair out with the Tree of Life pattern and hoping for some assistance before I do . . . thanks :woot:

tigress
03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi, a co-worker of mine started me off in knitting 15 years ago, and I managed to knit one scarf and a vest. After that, I stopped complete because I didn't have the patience to knit bigger project. Then 4 years ago, after my daughter was born, I self-taught crocheting. Now that I'm a mom, I find more motivation to craft wearables for my children, and I really enjoy crocheting. It wasn't till last month that I started knitting again. It's a good thing I still remember how to knit and purl. I had forgotten how to cast on and bind off, but thanks to all those wonderful videos on KH, I was able to finish a basic vest for my 4 month old son. Now I'm attempting another vest with colors and motif. I have become quite a knitting addict. For the past few nights I've stayed up till 3 am knitting!!

I look forward to meeting all other fellow knitters! :)

Relynn
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi. I've never used a forum before... so here is my question. I'm knitting my first bag and I'm down to the end. I'm working from top to bottom and need help closing my bag. I'm using size 15 (10.0mm) needles and am down to 4 stiches between each marker with 5 sections. I didn't use a pattern. I just kinda started knitting and then started decreasing as a friend showed me. But now I'm stuck! Can anyone help me???? So far it looks great and I really want to finish it correctly so I can then felt it.
Thanks.
~Rachel~

alomagene
03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi my name is Jean McKnight I am a 62 year grandmother that really would like to learn to knit. I also love making jewelry and hanging out with my family and grandchildren. I live in the burbs of Dallas Texas.

Hermione12
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Knitting!!! :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

CookiesLady
03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Terry and I'm new to this forum. I haven't used any knitting patterns, mostly crochet, in 30 years or more and am ready to start a new project which is an afghan my friend has that I just love. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free.

starpatch
03-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

I am new to knitting, I want to knit socks so bad!! But I just ordered 3 books from Amazon to see how I can do with a beginner pattern.

I have tried with one book, and it all seems so hard.

The only things I can do a good job of knitting is simple dish clothes....so I thought it would be nice to be here, because I know no one who knits.
Thanks for having me.:muah: :cheering: :woot: :muah:

1HappyGranny
03-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi Amy, I just joined your group and am very glad to be here. I've been a crocheter all my life and just in the past few years decided to try knitting.
About a month ago I discovered a site which took my breath away, it's called FreeForm Crochet and Knitting. OMG I still have a hormonal surge everytime I see some of it.
I also just in the last couple of days found out about knitting socks 2 at a time on circular needles AND knitting them from the toes up!!! I'm very interested in learning both of these new skills and will be open to any and all advice from everyone.
I am retired, live alone with a very persnickety cat who graciously allows me to serve her. I live in a hi-rise overlooking the St. Lawrence River. I have a candy apple red scooter named Maxine and on her I am able to terrorize,sack and pillage all the LYS.
I write,paint and do needlework. I have 4 grown children and 7 grands. And my 16 year old GD thinks I'm "cool".

I can't wait to start reading and learning from the members here. cheers.

smoqui
03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Just joined your forum this morning so that I could get some tips and ideas, and share a few of mine. I realize I am in the minority (in this country at least) in that I am a 65-year old man who likes to knit. I have been knitting for around 60 years, and have tried a whole lot of patterns, obscure stitches, and off-the-beaten-path techniques.

I am currently working on a Norwegian style drop shoulder ski sweater, some warm fuzzy socks for a friend (eastern cast on, toe up) and a 2-color Skaker knit scarf. Recently finished a beautiful Aran scarf with a Celtic knot repeating pattern.

My usual knitting style is what I have termed Irish Style, which is essentially a variation of English style with a right-hand yarn carry for easier wrap and better tension control. I also do Continental and Continental combined style, depending on the project I am currently working.

I recently discovered Portuguese style, and it is quickly rising to the top of my favorites list. It is similar to Continental, but with the yarn wrapped once around your neck (not all the way, just over the left shoulder, around the back, and over the right shoulder toward your work), so that the yarn feeds to the work on the front side of the needles instead of the back. This results in something similar to Continental style for speed and ease, but for me at least, it gives far superior control of tension. Depending on the yarn you use, you may not have to hold the yarn at all to control the tension, the friction of going around your neck and shoulders provides just the right amount of "drag" to be almost perfect.

I have seen several demo videos on the web which show people using the yarn wrapped so that it feeds over their left shoulder. I have found that this works quite nicely, but you have to hold your needles at a somewhat uncomfortable angle pointing away from your body to keep each yarn wrap from jumping off the needles. My variation is quite simple--wrap the yarn so that it feeds up over your left shoulder, and down from your right! This results in the yarn pulling back toward the last stitch you made, instead of tending to jump off the needles, and gives a wonderful automatic tension adjustment to each stitch as it is made. This works up almost as even as machine knitting. Depending on the type and weight of yarn you are using, you may have to hold the yarn in one hand with a one or two finger wrap before it feeds over your shoulder, to keep it from slipping too easily around your neck.

If you have sensitive skin, and don't like the feel of the yarn going around your neck, you can use a "knitting pin" instead. This is simply a pin with a little hook (something like a cup hook attached to a safety pin) which you pin to your shirt or blouse at about the same position as the yarn would be if you did feed it around your neck. This pin is available on the web, but you can also improvise by using a paper clip with one end bent out slightly, and attach it to your collar or pocket, or just a fold in your clothes. If you do choose to use a pin or hook instead of wrapping around your neck, you may need to use a little hand tension control, because there is not enough tension put on the yarn otherwise.

I am sorry I am not equipped to provide a video demonstration, but if you search for "Portuguese knitting style" on Google or Yahoo, you will find two or three sites offering videos. One of the resulting sites also sells the knitting pin. (I have no business relationship, and provide this only for information.)

I know it sounds a little bizarre, but try it--you may find as I have that you get the best tension results you ever had and it's a lot easier on your hands and fingers. I have arthritis in my right index finger, which makes some of the techniques I used to use a bit painful. The Portuguese style takes a lot of the repetitious stress off that finger, and is quite welcome.

Sorry I have made this so long. Many of my friends say I should write books, not emails or web posts! (Web Mom: please feel free to split this up into different areas as you think appropriate.)

Angieknits
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey everybody. I'm so glad to have found this site. I'm really looking forward to talking to other knitters. I've knitted a few pairs of house socks on 2 needles, a blanket, ONE mitten (lol maybe someday I'll finish the second) a dish cloth, I even knitted a couple of the VeggieTales characters for my daughter and neices and nephew. ATM I have one sleeve left to go for a baby sweater for my neice's birthday and then I'll have completed my first sweater, albeit a baby sweater it's still an accomplishment. I'm going to start on my first pair of socks as soon as I've finished weaving the sweater pieces together. :happydance: Wish me luck!

graceschneider
03-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Howdy Ladies and I assume some gentlement

My name is Grace, I'm a married mom of two daughters and am just starting out, more or less, in knitting. I have done a few simple scarves and a reversible boxes baby blanket. I just bought a ton of alpaca to knit myself a nice warm afghan. I look forward to reading what you all have to say and I already have some questions so I'm gonna find where to post those and I 'll meet you all there

cheers,
Grace

VTBluebird
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi fellow knitters. What a great site! I am not new to knitting; been knitting for about ten years. I come from a family of knitters; my sister is actually taking a master knitting class and has designed a few things recently. I am currently at home following shoulder surgery (but I can knit at this point). I live in Northern Vermont. I am a mother of three with two in college and one still in high school. I have been married for 23 years. My husband is machinist and also a member of the VT Army National Guard, Master SGT (will be deployed for second time in December or so). I am a medical transcriptionist for a small community hospital in Northern NH, about 45 minutes from my home. I am currently studying medical billing and coding. I love knitting, or I wouldn't be posting here. I also love gardening and tending to my large assortment of house plants, and also taking care of my two Shitzuhs, Daisy and Sundae. I found your website by chance looking for info on knitting two socks at once. I look forward to interacting with others on the website and learning new techniques, etc. :knitting:

usafan
03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
:knitting: Hi, I am a fairly new knitter and have been making felted purses. I am working on a new one and the pattern I have uses an icord to make a ruffle around the top edge. I don't really like that look, so was wondering what would happen if I were to felt a crocheted ruffle. Any ideas??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

usafan

CindiJ
03-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello! My name is Cindi and I have just learned to knit. Really, just learned. I can knit, purl, bind off pretty well, but would like to learn new stitch methods/patterns.

I am finding it hard to locate new beginner patterns using the yarns and needles I already have. I hope this site will help me locate all the help I feel I am going to be needing.

Bring on all ideas and suggestions. Thanks!

watersprite
03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm Marie and I am new to the world of knitting as of last night! I learned how to knit, purl and a really awkward way of casting on (I didn't realize how awkward until I saw the video of a much easier way on here). I'd like to learn to knit for my family and friends. My first project will be a simple scarf for my son. Looking forward to learning lots and making this a life-long activity!!

Shandeh
03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Hello everyone, and welcome to the KH Forum!
:hug:

Hi, I have just joined this fabulous site . . . I am ready to tear my hair out with the Tree of Life pattern and hoping for some assistance before I do . . . thanks :woot:
If you do a search in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" or "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, you might find some good advice there. Or you can start a new discussion about the Tree of Life pattern in the Pattern Central area yourself. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hi. I've never used a forum before... so here is my question. I'm knitting my first bag and I'm down to the end.
There are lots of free knitting patterns online for felted bags. (Here (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/felted_items.php) are some.) If you look through them, you'll probably find some finishing directions that will work for your bag. It's usually easier to use existing knitting patterns to make your items, so the design work is done for you. Good luck!

Hi my name is Jean McKnight I am a 62 year grandmother that really would like to learn to knit.
You can get started by grabbing some yarn and needles, and following along with Amy's excellent videos here!
Amy's Knitting Videos (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit)

Hi everyone, my name is Terry and I'm new to this forum...........ready to start a new project which is an afghan my friend has that I just love. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free.
You'll find lots of afghan patterns here:
Afghans (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/afghans.php)

I am new to knitting, I want to knit socks so bad!!
Here's a free sock tutorial for beginning sock knitters, created by a member of our forum.
Silver's Sock Tutorials (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)

Just joined your forum this morning so that I could get some tips and ideas, and share a few of mine. I realize I am in the minority (in this country at least) in that I am a 65-year old man who likes to knit....
You'll find several other male knitters here in our forum. In fact, one of our moderators is male!

...My name is Grace, I'm a married mom of two daughters and am just starting out, more or less, in knitting............I'm gonna find where to post those and I 'll meet you all there.
Hi Grace, you can post questions in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section.

:knitting: Hi, I am a fairly new knitter and have been making felted purses..........was wondering what would happen if I were to felt a crocheted ruffle. Any ideas???
If you post your question in the "Crochet (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)" section, you'll probably get some ideas. Good luck!

Hello! My name is Cindi and I have just learned to knit. Really, just learned. I can knit, purl, bind off pretty well, but would like to learn new stitch methods/patterns. I am finding it hard to locate new beginner patterns using the yarns and needles I already have.
Hi Cindy,

You'll find lots of new knitting stitch designs here:
Knitting on the Net (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches.htm)
(just scroll down that page to see the list of designs in the center of the screen.)

I made a website with links to lots of free easy beginner patterns (http://shandehknitting.blogspot.com/2008/06/easy-knitting-patterns-for-beginning.html). There's a link in my signature below.

mjdersh
03-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm new to knitting...have done one scarf straight knitting for my daughter and am now trying to finish a matching headband for her in stockinette stitch. This site, especially the videos, could be the difference in sticking with it or getting frustrated and dropping it for a visual learner like me. Pictures in books do very little for me, but watching the videos makes sense! Thanks very much!!!

tifftaffy
03-14-2009, 07:18 PM
:muah:

throughout my newfound love of knitting, i found this site... and it has helped me more than i can express in words.

Currently, I'm working on the Durrow sweater i found on knotions.com, and it's making me more confused than I've been in a long time... (1.5 years of knitting so far- gloves, vest, hats, socks, scarves).

At any rate, I'm so glad that this site is here, and I just wanted to say hello:woohoo:

I'm also on Ravelry if anyone wants to see my projects.

:knitting:

tifftaffy

Delaney05
03-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I just recently took a knitting class and we made mittens and a hat... i love it! I am currently in a knit-a-long knitting a baby surprise jacket for my 9 month granddaughter... i'm getting very good at tinking... lol! now i'm starting, or trying to start, a scarf... a chevron scarf and am baffled already... the first row is Kf&b, k1, which i know how to do, but then it say "turn"... that means put right needle in left hand, etc., right? the second row is S11 p-wise wyf, k2... Okay, i'm stumped... HELP! i can't figure out how to post in any other forum, either...

sign me... helpless? hopeless?

it's late and i need to get to bed... so why am i starting a new project at midnight? Idk!!!:knitting:

pinenut
03-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I found the site when looking for info on how to knit using the Continental method. I am left handed and learned to knit left handed years ago, hadn't done any knitting in years, found this site and got a huge jump start on restarting and was able to pick up the continental method with ease thanks to the wonderful videos! I look forward to many knitting projects and getting to know the community. My knitting skills are beginner to intermediate at this point, I also crochet.
Pinenut

homeknitting
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi To All

Today is my first day with this forum.I'm from MA.living in a very small town.Hope:aww: fully this is where I introduce myself.I'm not sure how much or how little I need to say here.I've taken up knitting again.I was taught by my grandmother many years ago.I now have some time to pick it up!I'm retiring soon!! "WOW" I'm really liking it.I've got a sweater going and lots of "how do you do that!"This will be a great help.I'm looking forward to learning this Forum thing!

homeknitting
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm having a hard time finding an answer to my question.I maybe putting my ? in the wrong place.Can you help me to get around? Thanks, Sandra Question is: whats work 2 rows even without increases?

kellybigeyes
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM
homeknitting...I don't know the answer to your question, but if you click Forum at the top of the page, then you will see "How to Questions".... that's where you can go if you want to post questions. I hope this helps!!

ellemae
03-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi all

I am ellemae - I took my first knitting class yesterday. Now I must say I am totally all thumbs. Not sure if this is for me but going to keep trying. Love the video's and have spent the afternoon watching and practicing.

Wish me luck and thanks for letting me join.

Ellemae
Lebanon, TN

msu91
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
When I first took up knitting a year ago, with the encouragement of a very seasoned knitter, she suggested this site. I have been here many times and I like the new format. This is a great place to get that help right when I need it. Thank you!

sgtpam
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi all

I am ellemae - I took my first knitting class yesterday. Now I must say I am totally all thumbs. Not sure if this is for me but going to keep trying. Love the video's and have spent the afternoon watching and practicing.

Wish me luck and thanks for letting me join.

Ellemae
Lebanon, TN

Hi Ellemae......my sister lives in Old Hickory...so, I've been thru Lebanaon a number of times. Welcome:hug:

rjguay
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi, I'm just starting to knit myself and find the short vidios great. Plus I surprized my wife.Who has been knitting for over 30 years. Only I am left handed am a bit slow at knitting.

rjguay
03-16-2009, 11:47 AM
good luck i'm sure you will do well.

Shandeh
03-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :)

looking to find out -- what Work 2 rows even without increases means?
I'm having a hard time finding an answer to my question.I maybe putting my ? in the wrong place.Can you help me to get around? Thanks, Sandra Question is: whats work 2 rows even without increases?
homeknitting, I will move one of your questions to the "How To" section. You'll get some answers there.

By the way, "work even" just means to continue working every row in the pattern established, without adding or deleting stitches.

MiniatureKnitter
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello all.

I started knitting about 2 weeks ago because Anthea Chrome inspired me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVOAq__q9-8

http://www.bugknits.com/

As I've always been interested in miniatures, I thought this would be a blast and thus decided to take up knitting. I found that I really enjoyed it!

Since I'm self-taught this forum seemed like a really great place to be.

I"m looking forward to meeting all the knitters here! :grphug:

knittyannie09
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi everybody!

I've been knitting for about a year and up to this point I had done some sweaters and other simple projects, (all from patterns of course!). But now I'm stuck with a cardigan that on the left and right front ask me to cast on 9 stiches at the beginning of the purl row. I've tried the knitted/cable cast on but I have a hole in the part of the row where I'd added the stiches. What can I do?:aww:

JPow
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm a young gal in Canada, who is learning how to knit, as I'm now house poor!

I'm a very green beginner, and I am looking forward to sharing my woes with other newbies, and also gaining sage wisdom from the pros out there!

Thanks,

JP

shannaward
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Just wanted to stop by and say HI! I have been knitting for 3 years and am finally tackling my first pair of socks. I started with baby socks for the book 50 Baby Bootees to Knit by Zoe Mellor. The pattern is on pg. 58 and loaded with mistakes! If anyone has the corrections for this book could they let me know. Thanks!

AudreyNicole
03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello there! I just wanted to introduce myself :) My name is Audrey, and I am a 28 year old wife and mother of two boys. We live in Tampa, FL. I am attempting to teach myself to knit. I just bought the basics, and have a feeling I will keep referencing this site alot! :) I am so excited to get started!

mia27
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I love this site, I belong to a knitting circle and I refer everyone to this site for the clear practical videos and knitting terminology.

I am looking for a knitting calender called "365 Knitting Stitches a Year Perpetual Calendar" by Ed Martingale. I've had it on back order form Amazon for 3 months. Has anyone seen it online?

Lulunj
03-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi All,
Hope Im in the right area, just thought I would introduce myself to you all....:-P
Hugs all :)

kishiki4
03-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey. Just thought I would introduce myself.

*not really good at intros*

:aww:

dustinac
03-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Welcome to KH everyone :hug:

I am looking for a knitting calender called "365 Knitting Stitches a Year Perpetual Calendar" by Ed Martingale. I've had it on back order form Amazon for 3 months. Has anyone seen it online?

Hi Mia27, you may check with your local yarn store they may carry it. I also just goggled for it and it shows up as in stock on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1564774325?ie=UTF8&redirect=true) but also for Barnes and Noble and 123 stitch (http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=MG-C108) along with several others :thumbsup:

knittyannie09~I usually use the knitted on cast on but I make sure you pull that first couple tight to close up the gaps :thumbsup:

Shandeh
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Just wanted to stop by and say HI! I have been knitting for 3 years and am finally tackling my first pair of socks. I started with baby socks for the book 50 Baby Bootees to Knit by Zoe Mellor. The pattern is on pg. 58 and loaded with mistakes! If anyone has the corrections for this book could they let me know. Thanks!
I don't have that book, but I do know of a couple good first sock projects online (free).
Tiny Socks for Beginners (http://yarnzombie.net/patterns/tiny%20Socks.pdf) - by Cider Moon
Beginner Sock (Small) (http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/minisock.shtm) - by Heartstrings Fiber Arts

Also, you can use Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) to help you along.

knitkitten
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Hello
I have been knitting for about a year....I took a 3 hr. class and learned the basics but since i found this wonderful sight it has been so helpful...I thought it was a fad for me but it is hard to just sit and not knit....I have made scarves and dishcloths. I use the cotton yarn as i am alergic to the other.....it is so much fun....I have used many sizes of needles and i am a slow learner so having the videos is wonderful.......Thanks so much

Gwynth
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello, hello...Just started knitting and I mean just started...very, very addictive I see :knitting:
Have no computer at home and no internet anyway but hope to have both soon, so feel free to leave me a message here or email me :woohoo:
Looking forward to getting to know everyone!! :grphug:
Cheers
Gwynth

greylady60
03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi everyone.
My name is Nora Sheffiled and I live in West Jordan, Utah. I have been knitting most of my life, but serious the past 3 years. I am so excited to just sit by myself and knit. Don't get me wrong I do like knitting with other. My favorite projects are felted purses and socks. I make something homemade for my grandchildren each year for Christmas, so knitting has been a great thing to fall back on. I hope to be able to learn much from this site.

Knitwit57
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi, I am pretty knew to knitting, I have made an afghan, baby toys and now am trying to make a baby dress. The instructions call for *K1, K1 in row below; repeat from *. My question is when you knit one in the row below do you remove that loop off the needle or do you knit one in that loop? I am confused. I would appreciate some help from some expert knitters. I have no one that can show me. Thank you.

aaammmyyy
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
howdy, due to a brain injury and lymes disease my brain does not work well at time so please bear with me i get confused easily. i love to knit when im not taking care of my family im taking care of my self by knitting. baby blankets and socks are my favorite things to knit, i can knit at an advanced level if things are written out for me , row by row. i dont do computers so this will also be a learning experience for me.. thank you all for forum

Shellby
03-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Hello
I've been knitting most of my life, with that being said I haven't knit in 20 plus years while I raised my family, so hear I go again with a grandchildcloud9 on the way. Wish me luck... I've already found this site to be very helpful.

KNITINRI
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Just thought i would say hello.

Shandeh
03-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Welcome everyone! :)
I think you'll like our knitting forum. :hug:

Hi, I am pretty knew to knitting, I have made an afghan, baby toys and now am trying to make a baby dress. The instructions call for *K1, K1 in row below; repeat from *. My question is when you knit one in the row below do you remove that loop off the needle or do you knit one in that loop?....
Hello Knitwit.
When you knit in the row below, you will pull the loop off as you complete the stitch.

married2tim
03-22-2009, 05:31 PM
today my friend mariah and i went to michaels' to pick up my first knitting set. im sooo excited, deep down ive always wanted to learn how to knit. mariah told me about this site, how easy the instructional videos are, I certainly agree. my new adventure in the knitting world begins, hope to meet fellow enthusiast that shed light on various techniques. :cheering:

emmalou84
03-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi, i have been knitting for a couple of months now at the minute all i can do is squares, i am really looking forward to learning how to knit jumpers and cardigans. its a great site. thak you very much

allynealy
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just started knitting and am looking to buy a set of needles. I have looked at a couple of different options and am trying to weigh pros and cons of each set.

coolmoonyogaknits
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I just found my way here! Can't believe it took so long! My name is Julie. I live in Vermont. I am a mostly self-taught knitter. I am "TheChickenLady" over on Ravelry - which is how I found my way here!

Radiant
03-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Hello! I am finally successfully learning to knit (after two failed attempts over the last 8 years). I am just finishing a beginners knitting class here in SF and am trying to pick my next projects, which is very overwhelming, but will be much easier now that I found my way here. Thanks for all the great videos and resources!

Woolbur
03-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Hello all,
my name is Natalie and I've knitted for a while, maybe 6 yrs or so, but I still don't know how to make a good neckline!
I love exquisite (read expensive, mostly too expensive for me) yarns and I have a bag of alpaca wool and some Japanese unspun silk here, but somehow I'm afraid to start using my drop spindle. I've never done it....
Also I'm looking into getting a wheel. I like the Lendrums.

scottylou
03-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Hello...I just found this great site after unraveling about 4" of a new baby (grandson due in Sept!) blanket and needing to cast on to start over. I never know how much yarn to 'dangle' when casting on and found my answer here and was able to watch to video...I'm doing it correctly! I'm sure I'll visit this site often for help. My pattern is row 1: k3,p1,k1....k3 and row 2: k. I can't 'see' the pattern and keep forgetting whether I should k or p on row 1.....
I've actually been knitting off and on since college but am not that good at it! I live in GA.

Hogheaven59
03-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Nancy, and I just love this site! I live in Spokane WA, and have been knitting and crocheting for years...my mama taught me when I was young...ger...haha (I'm for...for...ahh...nearly fift...ahh...older now;) ), but it is sites like these that have been most helpful in learning the real ins and outs of knitting...very helpful!!!:muah: What a great place to meet other knitters and learn and contribute! Thanks!

shotzi
03-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi! My name is Shotzi and I'm addicted to knitting! Just joined....great site! I'm an adventurous beginner. Self-taught by YOUTUBE! Just finished my first cable project and had gaps in the back of my cables. Littlehouseinthesuburbs reassured me and referred me to you all. I knit the piece in 100% cotton so hopefully the holes will disappear after washing. I LOVE CABLES! :knitting:

dustinac
03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
:hug:Welcome to KH everyone!! :yay:

Scottylou~Would it hope you to mark your rows down? That way whenever you came to Row 1 you would know...or if Row 1 always hits on the right side or wrong side you could put a safety pen on that side and know when you see that to Knit or purl :thumbsup:

cmtrocks
03-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I am very appreciative of both the site for the instruction I need as a somewhat new knitter, and also for the community I hope to join.

:muah:
cmtrocks

TXCrochetNKnitLover
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

Newbie here from.. you guessed it, Texas!
I have used this site's resources several times lately as a novice knitter. Many people have linked your videos for me to view,and I have found them on YouTube.
Although I am new to knitting I have crocheted for many years, so I think that helped me understand some things better like reading patterns, keeping tension steady and holding the yarn.
I hope to learn a lot from the members here!

texangryphon
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi, everybody! My name is Erin, and I have just begun to knit a few weeks ago. Every time I find something that I don't know how to do, I come to this site and watch a video, then apply it to my knitting. Thank you so much for this site, and for all the helpful posts in the forum! I have already found answers to some questions there just by doing a search for the issue that is plaguing me at the time.

bebedechocolate
03-24-2009, 11:14 PM
hi! I am new to knitting. I have always wanted to learn but never had the chance. JoAnns has classes but they are on days where I work or go to school. :( I found this site and thought I might try to learn using the videos. Nice to meet you all!

dustinac
03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
:yay:Welcome to KH! If you ever have a question, just ask in the forums. Usually you get a response back very quickly. :thumbsup:

Soulsister13
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Hello, Everyone! I'm a fairly new knitter/crocheter (2 months). I learned the foundation stitches when I was a little girl but got away from the craft.

I look forward to the knitting bonding and wealth of support and knowledge that I will obtain!

Happy knitting/crocheting!!!

trishracz
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
I originally learned to knit as a child, but didn't get casting on right so I didn't like the results. I gave up and stuck with crochet and counted cross stitch. A stressful job pushed me to the point that I don't have the patience to cross stitch any more (plus my eyes aren't what they used to be), so I've only been doing some crochet and needlepoint for the last few years.

Right after Christmas, my husband was tired of me complaining about being bored and wishing that I could knit, so he looked up other cast on methods for me on the internet.

I tried long tail and it worked. Since Christmas, I've made 6 scarves and a shrug and I'm hooked. I found this site when I was looking for patterns and it has been soooo helpful.

Trish

Eah50
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
How is everyone doing,am Eah and I just join,I am looking forward to reading the post and getting to know some of you,if you have any question please ask ok chat with you later E

Shandeh
03-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone! :waving:
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum. :hug:

lilfrog
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone. I have been knitting on and off for the last 20 years. I am not that good unless I follow the directions. I just love where knitting takes me, my mind can wonder and it is very peaceful and soothing to me and i like to have a finished project and see how it comes out...not everything turns out so well but my 7 year old can always find a use for anything. I always have lots of questions and sometimes i have some good answers (not always but I can try).
Laurie
AKA:lilfrog

mhaddon
03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I have follewed the videos on this site for a long time now, I just now decided I need some personal help w/ some knitting and decided to check out the site! Thanks so much for all the good info :)

jkindred
03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm working on a sweater with an open collar that says to cast on 6 steek stitches. Do I do this with a separate ball of yarn or use my same ball? I just don't get the concept. The sweater is a solid color, if I do a different color as a guide for cutting later, will I see it? Can these steek stitches be removed once cut and the left over edge bound off?

Ingrid
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm working on a sweater with an open collar that says to cast on 6 steek stitches. Do I do this with a separate ball of yarn or use my same ball? I just don't get the concept. The sweater is a solid color, if I do a different color as a guide for cutting later, will I see it? Can these steek stitches be removed once cut and the left over edge bound off?

I wouldn't use a separate color for the steek stitches. You would just continue on with your yarn. In fact, you could work that section back and forth if you wanted to. Steeking is usually used for Fair Isle knitting so you can always work on the front side to see the pattern easily. It's not an essential for general shaping.

When you cut a steek, you first have to secure the stitches either with a sewing machine or by a crochet method. If you look at the top of the page of the How-To section, there is a thread on steeking that I started a while back.

Ana101
03-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Hello!

I am a brand-new knitter (1 week!) working on her first project (yes, a boring garter stitch scarf). Just wanted to introduce myself :) Can't wait to be sharing projects and do more advanced stuff over time!

Hope I'll become friends with some of you! :)

Anabelle

jennifer516qing
03-27-2009, 02:28 AM
hi Amy, thanx 4 hving me in.
nver imagined such a fantastic forum.
i lv knitting a lot,kind of addicted to it at the moment :-)
English is a foreign lanugage to me (i speak chinese), so if i sometimes sound rude, it's definitely not my intention. the only possibility is that i can't use English properly.
maybe i can express myself a little bit, yet i still feel difficult to express my feelings :-(
anyway, i'm more than happy to be here and i do hope i can start a thread myself sometime in the future.
wish u a nice day
;-)

moaab
03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to have found this site! I am from Northern Illinois (almost Wisconsin) and have been knitting on and off for about 9 years. Is there anyone else out there from Northern Illinois?

Vikki

Shandeh
03-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :muah:

...........Is there anyone else out there from Northern Illinois?
You'll probably find lots of other Illinois knitters in the "Knitters Knear You (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)" section of the forum.

krisg
03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I learned to knit about 5 months ago, and I'm addicted! I just found this forum today and will enjoy reading about other's knitting adventures as well as asking and looking for help when I need it. Right now I have a friend nearby who has knitted for 40 years who I go to when I get stuck or want to learn something new, but I will be moving soon so won't have my help so close anymore. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from her before I go, but there is so many layers to knitting and I know it will take me awhile to learn it all. I hope I can depend on you to help out when I need it. I watched some of the videos this afternoon and those will be helpful too. My current knitting project is socks. I finished my first pair earlier this week and have started my second pair. I also bought yarn and a pattern recently to make a felted purse. :knitting:

yelppuppy
03-29-2009, 02:02 AM
I just picked up knitting again because I'd like to knit this video game character: sackboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1a5zpPP2YA)! (from Little Big Planet, playstation3)

Before this my knitting experience is limited to:
-a scarf when I was 11
-a vest when I was in middle school

That was it! So I've been doing tons of research, watching lots of youtube videos for my little project. I'm have quite a few pattern related questions, so I was looking for an active knitting forum, and looks like this is a great one! :D

Can't wait to get to know you guys!

deltaroma
03-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi all My name is Delyth I live in the UK. I got stuck on a knitting pattern which is not working out for me so I put into google help knitting and I found this web site and I think it is good that we can get help or help others on here.

LDoug118
03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Is this the proper way to post a blog? Is there a step- by - step tutorial on how to and where to go in order to start posting ?

LDoug118
03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Good Luck on your new Grand !!!

Cheryl9811
03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Greetings to all from SA! I'm a new knitter-self teaching via the internet and a book for Idiots :aww: I had some exposure to knitting and crochet from my Grama when I was little. I cloth diaper my LO, so I started with learning how to knit longies. Found you all through the awesome videos. Am excited to be hear to learn more and, eventually, to help others with knitting!

Shandeh
03-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Is this the proper way to post a blog? Is there a step- by - step tutorial on how to and where to go in order to start posting ?
I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you wanting to start a new discussion thread? If so, just go to the main forum page here: MAIN FORUM PAGE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
Next, choose the section you want to post your question in. For example, we have "General Knittting", "How To Questions", "Pattern Central", etc.. Just click the section that your question will work best in, then click the "New Thread" button to start your post.

[size="3"][size="4"]Hi there I'm new at all of this. I do need help with the following: I'm trying to knit my first Cardigan...I consider myself an advanced beg. Here's where I'm stuck, the next step in my pattern is (K 14) Inc. 1 st in next st(twice. Is there anyone out there that can help me make sense of this....???
I'm going to move this question to the "How To Questions" section, so you'll get some answers. Good luck! :thumbsup:

jbook
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I am excited to be in this forum. I used to knit in high school and as a young adult but became too busy later teaching, going to school and raising four children. Not I am retired and feel like a beginner. I seem to need a lot of help! I am glad to be a member and to know there is a lot of help out there in a friendly community.
Thanks,
jbook

jmartin2
03-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone, just wanted to stop by to say Hi and I just joined this knitting site. totally love this site because if i get stuck on a project the answers are always here. And lot of people to ask questions. thanks so much for this site......

LadyJudith
03-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Hello,

I was taught to knit by my mother and grandmother when I was a little girl, but haven't knitted in almost 30 years until recently. I have started loom knitting (currently working on my first pair of socks) and would love to meet other San Fernando Valley loom or needle knitters.

I also enjoy lacemaking, cross-stitching, and applique.

Looking forward to hearing from my knitting kneighbors,

LJ

trollydolly4
03-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Amy. What a great site. I had forgotten how to caste off, and was directed to a few sites, but this one was the best. I've now finished off ONE leg of my 'Rodarte homage' tights!! Thank you.
Now I want to know how to knit socks! I need a video though. Any suggestions?
Thank you again.

Hassena
03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
I just love this site! As a new knitter this is heavenly information!

dustinac
04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Welcome to KH everyone!! :woot:

Hello,

I was taught to knit by my mother and grandmother when I was a little girl, but haven't knitted in almost 30 years until recently. I have started loom knitting (currently working on my first pair of socks) and would love to meet other San Fernando Valley loom or needle knitters.

I also enjoy lacemaking, cross-stitching, and applique.

Looking forward to hearing from my knitting kneighbors,

LJ

LJ~You may want to look in our Knitters Near you forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28):happydance:

Hi Amy. What a great site. I had forgotten how to caste off, and was directed to a few sites, but this one was the best. I've now finished off ONE leg of my 'Rodarte homage' tights!! Thank you.
Now I want to know how to knit socks! I need a video though. Any suggestions?
Thank you again.
Trollydolly~You can see some videos above that may help you but there is also a wonderful sock tutorial found here (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)

shelby
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I've used this site a number of times for quick answers and I decided it was certainly helpful enough to create an account. As a beginner I'm sure I'll be doing much more asking than answering...;)

Awesome forum, thanks!

Lynnez
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I am so thankful I found HelpKnit.com, I love the glossary it has helped me so much, I am self tought and still learning. this has helped me so much.
I am currently trying to knit my first pair of socks, this has been challenging. I am really confused on, if you have a slip stitch purlwise do I bring the yarn forward as if to purl and slip the stitch off onto the right needle and then put the yarn in the back position as if to continue knitting, or do I leave it in the back like if I were going to knit but put the right needle in from the top and slip the stitch off.

nonno
04-02-2009, 10:45 PM
This website and forum have really helped a beginning knitter like me to move beyond garter stitches and to my first clothing item. This is such a wonderful resource and I recommend it to all my friends. Thank you!!

maxcat06
04-03-2009, 03:03 AM
My actual name is Irene and I'm a newbie knitter. I'm really looking forward to learning from all of the "pros" here, and also, from what I've already read, looking forward to meeting some really nice people!:aww:

RetaJ
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
My aunt taught me to knit when I was little and I'm just picking it back up. I was having a little trouble casting on, so I did a search and found this forum. What a great place to remember what she taught me and learn new things!

MCrowe
04-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Not sure if this is where I introduce myself. My name is Maureen,and I am trying to re-learn how to knit. I was taught when I was a little girl- but that was many years ago- over 25 years. Anyway, I am trying to learn the knitting art. I totally got the casting part down- but when I do the knitting part- I am having an extremely hard time getting the stitches off- am I doing something wrong?? Also- what do you do to keep the tail out of the way??
Any suggestions would be appreciated- I don't want to give up on this yet.

Shandeh
04-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :hug:

I am so thankful I found HelpKnit.com, I love the glossary it has helped me so much, I am self tought and still learning. this has helped me so much.
I am currently trying to knit my first pair of socks, this has been challenging. I am really confused on, if you have a slip stitch purlwise do I bring the yarn forward as if to purl and slip the stitch off onto the right needle and then put the yarn in the back position as if to continue knitting, or do I leave it in the back like if I were going to knit but put the right needle in from the top and slip the stitch off.
Hi Lynnez!

If you're just slipping a stitch, just leave the yarn where it is. Don't bring it forward or take it back unless the pattern tells you to do so. Good luck!

Not sure if this is where I introduce myself. My name is Maureen,and I am trying to re-learn how to knit. I was taught when I was a little girl- but that was many years ago- over 25 years. Anyway, I am trying to learn the knitting art. I totally got the casting part down- but when I do the knitting part- I am having an extremely hard time getting the stitches off- am I doing something wrong?? Also- what do you do to keep the tail out of the way??
Any suggestions would be appreciated- I don't want to give up on this yet.
If you're like me when I first started, you probably cast on your stitches too tight. This makes it REALLY hard to knit the first row.

Amy did a video showing how to knit the first row, and talks about dealing with the yarn tail as well. It's on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch
Just scroll down that page and click where you see "Demo of a Small Project". She has videos for Continental Knitting and English Knitting. Good luck!

bzzzybeee
04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
HELLO!!! I am so happy I found this site. I have been curious about knitting and crocheting and finally knit my first scarve and I am in love. I plan on visiting this site as much as possible...especially since I could use a lot of help and I have a lot of questions. Thank you for having this forum for people like me!

knitpurlCTgirl
04-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I am a new knitter and need to know how you pull stitches out when you have made a mistake. For instance, I am finished with a basic shawl and realize I have not left a long enough length of yarn to bind off - how to do this??

minidox
04-04-2009, 07:33 PM
:aww: hello all!!

just wanted to stop here first and introduce myself before heading on to my question-of-the-moment.

my name is Tina, i'm 22 years old and living in western canada.

i'm the "mum" to two little miniature dachshunds, around who my life revolves.

I'm finishing up my bachelor of arts degree at the U of Alberta this fall, and often find myself knitting when i should be studying!!! :teehee:

I learned to knit as a young child from my mom, and "forgot" over the years. After my mom passed away 2 years ago, I was going through her stuff, and found a bunch of our sweaters that she had knit us as kids...beautiful and astonishing sweaters, and so I re-learned to knit after that inspiration, and have been taking leaps and bounds into it.

My favorite thing to do is knitting and felting, and I love love LOVE to work with real 100% wool most of all!!

Hope to learn a lot more from all of you amazing knitters out there!!!

Cheers!
Tina

cherifelter
04-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Testing. Not sure how this works. I'm just getting back into knitting. This site has some great videos that have been very helpful. I'm fairly new in a small town that doesn't seem to have any knitting shops with classes. I think I'll be using this site to help me with many questions.

sheltie
04-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I just came across this site so I joined in. I am a self taught chrocheter. I have not done it in awile but I am getting back into it. So many dreamy yarns and fibers out there... I am also getting into raising sheep for fleece. That is why I am getting back into chrocheting. Love to learn how to knit and spin my own fleece into yarn too! my name is Sandra I am 48 years old.

Jeremy
04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome to all of our new members:hug:

rebglass
04-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi, y'all. My name is Rebecca Glasscock. I'm a retired psychologist now living in the Ozark Mountains in north central Arkansas. I'm a semi-professional knifemaker (all kinds - here's a link: rgknives.com ). I love to garden and read history, biography and science. I love dogs and cats and have three of each. I knit quite a bit several years ago and got to advanced beginner or intermediate proficiency level. I recently rediscovered knitting while temporarily incapacitated with a brief illness. I'm just trying to remember some stuff I used to know and learn some new things. I really love to knit and the internet is so helpful - my previous knitting was pre-www!

jlbucha
04-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi, My name is Jacque and I am a very new knitter. I have only completed two dish cloths. My third attempt is not going so well. I found a pattern I would love to make but I can not figure out the pattern. I am hoping this forum can help me.

dreamingintx
04-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Hello! I'm a newbie knitter who jumped in at the deep end to make a very basic sweater as my first project! I'm 27, living in the UK with hubby and 2 dogs and I'm really keen to learn more knitting tips from you guys :)

dustinac
04-06-2009, 08:30 AM
:happydance:Welcome to KH everyone!

dizzy
04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello my name is dizzy and I am in my 45th years of age..

I am a self taught knitter, who is struggling to do the simplest of patterns, I can understand the pattern, but from hand to brain loses it some how..
So please be gentle with me, and I hope I can make some new friends here, who can share the knowledge of knitting with me..

aknittyknitter
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Good afternoon everyone!
Glad I found you!:knitting: :knitting:

aknittyknitter
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I have numerous patterns that say, end with a WS row. I normally can determine what the pattern is calling for, but with the patterns I am working on now - I have no clue. So what does it mean "end with a WS row?":doh:

mayasastra
04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi this is the very first time I have joined any forum of any kind which means I feel extremely technologicaly challenged!!! however I am also very new to knitting and this has been such a great help that I felt I should say thank you and ask for some help!! my 13year old daughter loved her scarf (my very first project :)) however the little darling now want a pair of fingerless gloves to match and I have no idea where to start, please help!!!! thank you. Monica.

mayasastra
04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi I am 40 years old and a mum of two I have recently started knitting and I truly enjoyed making my first scarf (of course) however my darling 13year old daughter has decided that she also needs a pair of fingerless gloves to go with it and although I have seen a patern for them I have no idear how to start!!!! are they suppose to be knitted in circular way or front and back and then attached????? sorry to sound so stupid but I could use any help you can give me pleaseeeee.

sgtpam
04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi I am 40 years old and a mum of two I have recently started knitting and I truly enjoyed making my first scarf (of course) however my darling 13year old daughter has decided that she also needs a pair of fingerless gloves to go with it and although I have seen a patern for them I have no idear how to start!!!! are they suppose to be knitted in circular way or front and back and then attached????? sorry to sound so stupid but I could use any help you can give me pleaseeeee.If you don't mind sewing a seam and want to do these quick, I made my first pair by accident. I was doing rectangles for a charity project and ended up with one that was too big for the project. It was soft yarn, a pretty pattern and a great maroon color. I was trying to figure out what to do with it instead when I wrapped it aroung my hand and said...hmmm, that'd work:think: :cool:

So, I made another one just like it and sewed the sides up and left a thumbhole...:cheering:

My sister stole them the first chance she got:teehee:

KateSteward
04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Hello! My name is Kate. I'm based in Indiana, married with 1 child. I've crochetted for years, but still a novice to knitting. Getting better everyday though....and in awe of all the talent that is displayed on this board.

Shandeh
04-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum, everyone! :)
I am a new knitter and need to know how you pull stitches out when you have made a mistake. For instance, I am finished with a basic shawl and realize I have not left a long enough length of yarn to bind off - how to do this??
Bless your heart! Isn't that frustrating?

The quickest way to do it would be to remove the stitches off the needle, and unravel it back a row. Then, put the stitches back onto a smaller needle. Then, knit the next row with your original needle, binding off as you go. Just be sure the stitches are facing the right way when you put them back on the needle.

Also, Amy has a video that shows how to unravel to a designated row here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips
Just scroll down that page to the section that says, "Fixing Mistakes", and watch the video for "Inserting a needle into destination row, before unraveling"

Testing. Not sure how this works.....
Your test was successful! :)

Hi, My name is Jacque and I am a very new knitter. I have only completed two dish cloths. My third attempt is not going so well. I found a pattern I would love to make but I can not figure out the pattern. I am hoping this forum can help me.
Welcome, jlbucha!
You might want to ask your question in the How To Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section of the forum.
Good luck! :wink:

I have numerous patterns that say, end with a WS row. I normally can determine what the pattern is calling for, but with the patterns I am working on now - I have no clue. So what does it mean "end with a WS row?":doh:
"End with a WS row" means to do your last row of knitting on the WRONG SIDE of the fabric you're knitting. The wrong side is the side that is not showing on your final project. If you're making a sweater, the wrong side would be on the inside against your skin. If you're making a scarf, the wrong side would be the BACK of the scarf. If you're making a hat, the wrong side would be the inside of the hat.

The wrong side is usually not as pretty as the right side of your knitting.

Hi this is the very first time I have joined any forum of any kind which means I feel extremely technologicaly challenged!!! however I am also very new to knitting and this has been such a great help that I felt I should say thank you and ask for some help!! my 13year old daughter loved her scarf (my very first project :)) however the little darling now want a pair of fingerless gloves to match and I have no idea where to start, please help!!!! thank you. Monica.
You'll find lots of patterns for fingerless gloves on this website:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/search.php
Just type "fingerless" in the search box.

meepers
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
'ello, my name is meepers, but you can call me meep if you like. I've just finished my 2nd scarf and am working on my third, but I'm kinda getting tired of the same 'ole same 'ole, ya know? So I was wondering what the best thing for a extreme beginner would be to move on to. I would appreciate suggestions if you have any!
Thanks so much!
<3,
Meep
:knitting:

Shandeh
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
.......So I was wondering what the best thing for a extreme beginner would be to move on to. I would appreciate suggestions if you have any!
Hi Meep!
I have a page of beginner knitting patterns as a link in my signature below. Maybe one of them will be fun for ya!

dozer
04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi!
What a wonderful knitting site. I am a fairly new knitter (self taught) who usually gets mixed up very easily. This site will be a great help. Thanks to all!:thumbsup:

victoryah
04-09-2009, 10:09 PM
hi, im victoryah. i am on ravelry as victoryah, also. i am an avid crocheter, but someone gave me tons of knitting stuff, so i decided to try!!!! so far so good!
i think i will try out that link above, too!!! i went to the library today and checked out some books on beginning knitting and found a book for "knitting for dummies"... that would be ME! :roflhard:

btw, victoryah is pronounced victoria.... u wouldnt believe some of the ways it is "tried" to be said.... pretty sad.... i answer to most anything! :woot:

SoapDawtahKnitsToo
04-10-2009, 05:37 PM
This is it! The knitting forum I've been looking for. Been knitting for the past 8 months-self-taught and find this forum and what the complete Knitting Help.com site has to offer very helpful, thanks so much for the opportunity :muah:

Peace and Love,
Joann

Shandeh
04-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum everyone!
I think you'll like it here. :muah:

gracegirlmomma
04-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I am so excited. I just discovered this site. Looking forward to learning so much and meeting new knitting friends.

bjpash
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Hello Ladies: My name is Bee Jay. Just joined this site today.
I would really like to learn to knit- Yesterday I did learn casting stich off a video. However I did not see how to move on to another row.
I really need to learn to do something with my hand will be trying to quit the dreaded smoking habit and i feel this will be a huge benefit.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

vintagelovin
04-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Everyone! I wanted to send out a little introduction. My name is Christy and live in a small rural community in Missouri. I'm a self taught Knitter and I love the craft with a passion. I make a lot of scarfs in different patterns, and now I'm working on my first blanket. I'm very excited about joining this site, and look forward to getting advice from experienced knitters.

noviceknitter8
04-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi I am a novice knitter even though I have been knitting for some eight years. I say this because I have not been successful at finishing any really complicated projects.. Socks are complicated from my perspective. This perhaps explains the novice bit. I have never really mastered turning the heel and have had no one to go to to help me sort out the directions This does not stop me from trying new things...in fact I have so many projects started and books purchased with interesting knit ideas in them that I lose track sometimes. I love knitting and I have always loved textiles and the colours that you can create by blending yarns. Recently I have been trying to use the colours from a collection of paintings done by The Group of 7 They used wonderful muted tones that look great in knits. I would love to be able to make jackets and dresses but have not done so as yet. I trained as a clothing designer as a young women so you can see where my interest stems from. I like the peace that knitting affords . I can sit for hours knitting away while I listen to music or the T.V. I have a bunch of needles in a pot in my living room and when friends come by or the guest at my b&b are relazing with me,they often pick up some sticks and work at a hat I may have there in a basket beside my chair. It would be lovely to know the other people out there knitting away. I will enjoy reading your conversations and notes...and learning from your joys and disappointments with knitting. Cheers.and Applause for each of you. yours, noviceknitter8

emeraldee
04-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Hello! My name is Deirdre and I just learned to knit yesterday. :aww:

I'm still going very slowly but I'm eager to get it right. I can't wait until I can make something besides a scarf or blanket (or as I am at this point- a swatch.)!

lydialynn
04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi everyone,

lydialynn
04-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi everyoe, I'm an oldie - learned to knit during WWII, when that was the only way to get warm sweaters!. In the early '50s, my older brother spent the summer bumming around europe, learned continental style, came home and taught me. Those were the days of argyle socks, which every college girl, self included, made during lectures!
Now I'm a spinner, weaver, knitter etc. Latest project? Einstein Coat made of drop spindle spun, Indian plied wool, from an old fleece I've had hanging around. Since January, I've been spinning a ball, then knitting a ball , repeat, repeat repeat. I lost count of how many balls it took. I finished mid-March, and the coat looks great. It's still cold enough to appreciate it! Lydia

ritapitam
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I wish I had found this site sooner. I taught myself to knit just a few monthes ago. So far this site has taught me many things and made my life easier. Now I must go to the message boards to ask a question. Thanks again for this wonderful information!

Shandeh
04-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Hello Ladies: My name is Bee Jay. Just joined this site today. I would really like to learn to knit- Yesterday I did learn casting stich off a video. However I did not see how to move on to another row.
Hi Bee Jay! To start knitting, just switch the needle to your other hand, and do the knit stitch with the empty needle.

Amy has a video that will help you. Just scroll down the webpage on this link until you see "Demo of a small project".
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Hi I am a novice knitter..........Socks are complicated from my perspective. This perhaps explains the novice bit. I have never really mastered turning the heel and have had no one to go to to help me sort out the directions...
Hi noviceknitter8!
Silver's Sock Tutorial should help a lot. It's how I learned to knit socks, and so far I've made more than 20 pairs!
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

Lorri
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello everyone my name is Lorri I am new to knittinghelp.com. I love to knit and crochet, I prefer knitting, I have been looking a bathing suit patterns and I am not having a lot of luck. I am looking to knit a boy cut bottom so if anyone has or knows where I can locate patterns it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Shandeh
04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Hello everyone my name is Lorri I am new to knittinghelp.com. I love to knit and crochet, I prefer knitting, I have been looking a bathing suit patterns and I am not having a lot of luck. I am looking to knit a boy cut bottom so if anyone has or knows where I can locate patterns it would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Hi Lorri, if you post your question in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section, you'll probably get some good options.

Also, I did find a few swimsuit patterns here:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/womens_swimsuits.php

NancyB
04-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Hello. I'm new to knitting...just finished my first scarf thanks to this website. I tried to learn from books but just wasn't getting it. The teaching videos here made all the difference. I'm looking forward to learning new things and learning from more experienced knitters. :)

jkobis
04-13-2009, 01:12 AM
my name is Janice Ilive in NJ I love to knit I have five kids all grown . I am curently working onn a bsj. I frogged it about ten times . I would love to read about how others have solved there problems with this amazing pattern.

becca75
04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and to knitting, and i'm finally trying to knit my first baby cardigan, Although, trying is the right word. I picked what i thought was quiet an easy pattern, but i'm stuck, can anyone help. Trying to do a buttonhole, it says, (RS), K2, K2 tog, yfwd (to make a buttonhole), K to end, which i understand, but then how am i suppose to get the K2 together stitches back, as i 've just lost one for the next row. The pattern only says to make the buttonhole on 1 row so it will be quite small, but i'm truly stuck now, please if anyone can help, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks x

sgtpam
04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and to knitting, and i'm finally trying to knit my first baby cardigan, Although, trying is the right word. I picked what i thought was quiet an easy pattern, but i'm stuck, can anyone help. Trying to do a buttonhole, it says, (RS), K2, K2 tog, yfwd (to make a buttonhole), K to end, which i understand, but then how am i suppose to get the K2 together stitches back, as i 've just lost one for the next row. The pattern only says to make the buttonhole on 1 row so it will be quite small, but i'm truly stuck now, please if anyone can help, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks x
Welcome...you only "lose" one stitch when you K2 tog...then you are putting it back on when you do the yarn over (YO). You should have the same number of stitches that you started with.:knitting:

Jane917
04-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi! I have just taken up knitting again after not knitting for almost 25 years. I knit lots of sweaters and caps when my kids were babies. Now the baby is 27. I first started knitting in 4th grade when my teacher had a once/week "hobby" day. She taught me to knit. However, I have forgotten everything. I am casting on for the first time and finding it quite awkward. I hope I get the hang of it soon. Bamboo needles, and double pointed needles are all new to me. I am working on my first socks. I hope to get ideas from more experienced knitters (which would be just about everyone!) about buying online. I live in rural central Washington state, and have one yarn store within 20 miles, which I hope to visit soon. Jane

BonnieHill
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi - I love to knit lace & want to learn more about garment construction. 50 yrs. dressmaker experience. My reason for joining-I am 5'1" so as with clothes, I need to alter shaped knit patterns. I cannot purchase clothing unless it is "petite" size. I have lots of time to knit as I no longer work, have a large yard or animals. Knitting better for the hands than computer work! Anyone experienced with my knitting concern & willing to help, would be greatly appreciated. Have tried to get answers online, but no luck. Thanks and hope to be in touch.

BonnieHill
04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
After not knitting for several yrs., I just purchased "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting & Crocheting" to become comfortable with different ways of casting on. I purchased my first bamboo needles & love them. I've knit socks & have the idea that bamboo double-points are too slick for sock knitting. I think the perspiration of your hands on the metal needles create sort of a "drag" with the yarn, keeping it on the needles. Bamboo are awfully lightweight, even large sizes.

rojas1152
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Help:
I am at the Pattern stitch of this sweater. It calls for knit the knit-purl the purl. It does not look like the picture.
PAT ST= (multiple of 6 STS)
row 1 (RS) p3, *k4,p2, rep from * end k3
rows 2 & 4: K the K, p the p

row 3: k3, *p2, k4; rep from *, end p3...............
The basket weave look isn't coming out, How do I take it back to re do the pattern? Thanks, Linda

landyannie
04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I am 22 and a newbie to the knit scene and my grandma is 75 and it's been years since she has knitted. She stopped because arthritis, but she's been feeling more energetic and ready to conquer more of the world within the last few months. But she has forgotten how to get started. So I told her I would get online and figure out how to get rolling. I've "casted" and I have the first row done...but i have no clue where to go from there to start moving down to a second row. I dont know the terms for knitting, so please bare with me :). If anyone can give a clueless but ready to learn newcomer some EASY almost "Knitting for Dummies" instructions, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Nebethet
04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi! I'm almost sixteen and I started knitting on Thanksgiving 2008. I was just sitting around doing nothing and watching my grandmother knit a stocking for my soon-to-be aunt when I asked if I could learn too. I've been knitting ever since then. I've learned from books that I've gotten and internet patterns, so I'm fairly new. Expect to see A LOT of questions here. I'm really excited to see what everyone on here has knitted and made up. Anyone who has any advice feel free to message me or something. My current project is a Gryffendor scarf.

Lauren J. :)

Jane917
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I am 22 and a newbie to the knit scene and my grandma is 75 and it's been years since she has knitted. She stopped because arthritis, but she's been feeling more energetic and ready to conquer more of the world within the last few months. But she has forgotten how to get started. So I told her I would get online and figure out how to get rolling. I've "casted" and I have the first row done...but i have no clue where to go from there to start moving down to a second row. I dont know the terms for knitting, so please bare with me :). If anyone can give a clueless but ready to learn newcomer some EASY almost "Knitting for Dummies" instructions, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

You are in luck. I saw Knitting for Dummies at Craft Warehouse yesterday!

Shandeh
04-14-2009, 09:57 PM
After not knitting for several yrs., I just purchased "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting & Crocheting"..........I purchased my first bamboo needles & love them. I've knit socks & have the idea that bamboo double-points are too slick for sock knitting.
Actually, the bamboo double points usually "grip" the yarn better than metal needles. Lot of people prefer using bamboo for making socks just for that reason. Give it a try, and see how it works for you! :thumbsup:

Help:
I am at the Pattern stitch of this sweater. It calls for knit the knit-purl the purl. It does not look like the picture...........
Hi Linda...I'll copy your question to the "How To" section of the forum, so you'll get some help. Good luck!

I am 22 and a newbie to the knit scene and my grandma is 75 and it's been years since she has knitted..........
Amy has several knitting videos on this website, including one that shows how to knit the first row after casting on. You'll see that video on the following link. Just scroll down that page, and look for "Demo of a Small Project". Then, click the video to watch how to get started. Good luck! :)

Ijustwantacraft
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
This is an awesome learning site. I just started learning knitting a couple weeks ago. I am a crocheter for years. So far because of this site and the awesome information I have already learned to cable, and picked out the set of happybirthdaytome knitting needles. The videos are really nice. :yay: I need a little help with the elongated stitch and I will go to the proper section to ask. Thanks so much for the site.

malama25
04-15-2009, 03:05 AM
This site is so cool. I've just started to knit from a book, and this site translates so much better for me. For just being a beginner I have fallen in love with the peace knitting offers, it's been so contagious I have been able to teach two friends the craft and they have found it just as fun. I've just started my very first project and nearly completed it and I'm amazed looking down at it (even though it's not perfect):aww: and feeling proud of myself for trying something new. My fiance thinks it's so funny how addicted I've become with a ball of yarn and two needles. :heart:

malama25
04-15-2009, 03:10 AM
I've just learned to knit myself and practicing my cables, How do you keep your work even? I've noticed that with mine I leave to much slack on one side.... I only started them yesterday. If you don't mind my asking did you learn from a book or a friend? My mom taught me to crochet but it never took to me like knitting has. Just something about it I guess.... :)

Threecats
04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi,

My name is Linda, I'm 27 years old. I have been hooked on knitting for about 5 years now. Although I live in the Netherlands, most of the techniques I know today, I learned on knitty.com.

After I got more experienced I also bought some dutch knitting magazine's but because I was so used to the English abbreviations I first had to translate the Dutch ones into English before I could start knitting. I still do actually, because I find the English abbreviations easier to understand.

dustinac
04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Welcome to KH everyone! :yay:

I've just learned to knit myself and practicing my cables, How do you keep your work even? I've noticed that with mine I leave to much slack on one side.... I only started them yesterday. If you don't mind my asking did you learn from a book or a friend? My mom taught me to crochet but it never took to me like knitting has. Just something about it I guess.... :)

You might want to post this in the How to Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23), the members here are very helpful and will give you plenty of tips :thumbsup:. For me cables get better the more you do them...you might be holding the yarn to tight/lose as you work the cables :happydance:

muggsyo
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Hello ...
This is my second visit to the knittinghelp site, and I'm totally clueless about the process! I'm looking for a scarf pattern that I have misplaced. It's a simple, one-row pattern - odd # of stitches, with one of the knitted stitches being 'knit in the back'. Can anyone help? Thank you! muggsyo

Arlenecitron
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
My pattern calls for two colors of yarn, holding it in one hand and knitting with MC and purling with CC. I watched knittinghelp.com video which is extremely helpful. I'm wondering if using the two hand method would have a different look than 'holding yarns in one hand'??? Working on a swatch is helpful, but I'm not happy with the results AND it doesn't look anything like the photo (Berroco 'pakuna' sweater).

arlene

Shandeh
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Hello ...This is my second visit to the knittinghelp site, and I'm totally clueless about the process! I'm looking for a scarf pattern that I have misplaced. It's a simple, one-row pattern - odd # of stitches, with one of the knitted stitches being 'knit in the back'. Can anyone help? Thank you! muggsyo
If you post your question in the "Pattern Central" section of the forum, you'll get some help. Good luck!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

My pattern calls for two colors of yarn, holding it in one hand and knitting with MC and purling with CC. I watched knittinghelp.com video which is extremely helpful. I'm wondering if using the two hand method would have a different look than 'holding yarns in one hand'??? Working on a swatch is helpful, but I'm not happy with the results AND it doesn't look anything like the photo (Berroco 'pakuna' sweater).
arlene
Your question would get more help in the "How To" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
I hope it works out for you!

camuirei
04-16-2009, 11:53 PM
hi there~
i'm a newbie here..
i'm rei, 17 years old.

i'm a very new in knitting.
need a lot of helps. ^^

thank you very much for making this site!

almas
04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi there,
please can someone help me?
I am knitting a ribbon tie dress for a child but am stuck already.
Can anyone tell me what tw2 involves. Each time I do it, it ends up as a decrease, where am I going wrong?

The info says k2tog leaving sts on left needle, k first st again and slip both sts off left needle at same time.

Please help me.

Almas xx

Shandeh
04-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi there, please can someone help me?
I am knitting a ribbon tie dress for a child but am stuck already.
Hi Almas,
Your question would get more help in the "How To" (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) section of the forum. Be sure to include a link to the pattern, so they can help you better.

staceyk
04-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi, Everyone,

I'm Stacey from Pennsylvania; I've been knitting for about 5 years now. My mother taught me the basics and I took off from there, beginning with scarves for my daughters and their friends, progressing to hats for babies (still my favorite things to knit because they're such a great way to try new techniques, yarns, and color combinations!), and finally a sweater/shrug (a joint project between my mother and me: she did the body and I did the sleeves) for my niece to wear with her flower-girl dress for my older daughter's wedding in '07. :woohoo:

Now that my older daughter is expecting her first child, I'd love to make a pair of booties for her out of some lovely ivory angora I found. It's very fine weight and will take a small set of needles. If anyone knows of a simple pattern I'd be grateful!! :muah:

hettysmum
04-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi
I'm Chris and I've been knitting for as long as I can remember (over 50 years now!). I like to use interesting or unusual techniques/patterns/stitches and seldom stick to a pattern. I often don't use a pattern at all preferring to do my own thing. I also machine knit. I'm in the UK.

daisy1
04-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Hello everyone, daisy1 here, thank you for the lovely reception, I have read some of your posts and you all sound like my kind of ladies, I am 71 and spend my days either in the garden, on the computer, or in my craft room, looking for wool, patchwork blocks and tea bag folding, just to mame a few, at the moment it is knitted tea cosies, they seam to have made a come back, they are nice to make and get finished quite quickly,I look forward to comming back again, so for now all the best, Daisy

Shandeh
04-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum everyone! :hug:

Hi, Everyone,I'm Stacey from Pennsylvania.....................Now that my older daughter is expecting her first child, I'd love to make a pair of booties for her out of some lovely ivory angora I found. It's very fine weight and will take a small set of needles. If anyone knows of a simple pattern I'd be grateful!! :muah:
You'll find lots of baby bootie patterns on this webpage:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_booties_mittens.php

Hi...I'm Chris and I've been knitting for as long as I can remember (over 50 years now!).
Welcome Chris! I'm sure you will be a valuable member of our forum. :)

Hello everyone, daisy1 here......
Hi Daisy! You and I have a lot in common, except for our ages. I spend most of my days the same way you do. :wink:

angelpm
04-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
I hope I am doing this right. I just joined and I am 40 years old. A knitter since highschool. Hope to meet you all here. Portia

lynnruth
04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi,

What a great site. My cousin told me about it when I was having some difficulties with a knitting project. Found the answers I needed right here. I knitted when I was in college then put it aside for many years. Lately have taken it up again but still doing rather basic projects - hats, scarves and prayer shawls in our church group. Hoping to expand my knitting skills and benefit from the knowledge all you experienced knitters out there have.

Also am hoping to teach my grand daughter how to knit and I was wondering if any of you have taught a young child to knit -- what is a good age to start them knitting?

Michelle181614
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Hello,
I have only been knitting 3 months. I am a Blind stay at home mom with 3 kids all teenagers. I have been married 24 years. I love knitting and i have even thought about starting my own yarn shop.

Michelle

blbochenek
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Hello Everyone":
I'm Beverly and I host the blog: The Knitter's Restaurant (http://www.knittersrestaurant.blogspot.com) and I own the store designbcb (http://www.designbcb.etsy.com)
I hope to learn what I don't know and to teach what I do. I look forward to discovering all this site has to offer!

celtic52
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks so much, this is my first time doing anything like this, I hope I do not goof!! Can of exciting knowing that I am talking to other people about knitting that I am so passionate about.

ernestmanning922
04-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Hello all,

I'm Ernest. I just have joined this forum.
Love Knitting and always looking for new knitting patterns.

MoJo
04-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Everyone: I just joined and I'm so excited!! This site is exactly what I was looking for. What a huge help it has been to me already. I'm looking forward to sharing and exchanging thoughts and ideas with you. I'm what you would consider a beginner so I'm sure I'll be here a lot :yay:

Jesslynn
04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
i'm a new knitter teaching myself from books and this website. it helps demonstrate in real time what the instructions are telling me to do. love that i can asks questions of real people if need be.
i'm facinated with all the different patterns and find myself paying attention to sweaters etc people are wearing.
i hope my family likes scarves as that is about all i'm proficient enough to do right now and everyone is getting a scarf for Christmas this year!

l0ve2knit
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
hi there this is a great site i just learnt to knit, and i'm loving it!! i mainly knit my chihuahua sweaters:happydance:

Shandeh
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome to our wonderful Knitting Help Forum. :hug:

tamcab
04-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Hello everyone! I have been using the videos over and over again for a year to help me with learning to knit. I am so happy to finally have a day to become part of the official community!

Jeremy
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

muddyboots
04-24-2009, 10:37 PM
New to site, needed to know how to do k2tog tbl for a pair of socks I am knitting from the book, Knitting circles around". What a great site, got what I needed from a video.

quilterjanet
04-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi!
I'm quilterjanet from Wisconsin. I've been knitting since I was about 10 years old. My Grandma taught me to knit. I've knit on and off all my life. Right now I've been knitting socks. My goal is to knit a fair isle sweater.

ladyamesindy
04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
I came across this site by accident the other day while looking up "Continental method" style of knitting. I've been knitting for ages (since I was about 10 I think), and I am also a fan of British shows, including the Agatha Christie Miss Marple series, and I recalled how when watching her knit on the show it always looked funny - not at all like what I did. I vaguely remember reading something when I was a teen about there being an American style and a Continental style, but I didn't bother with it much at the time. Now that I'm considerably older, I thought I might investigate the Continental style to see if it was something that I might find useful. I'm always looking for forums where I can discuss things I like to do with others who like the same!

artsypants1
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

hello all new to site and hope it helps me with any questions on knitting.

lilquiz
04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
hi Amy, I've had this website in my favorites and am now getting around to registering. I look forward to using this site as a tool to my artwork. I work a full time job and use knit and crochet as a stress relief. I especially love to freeform and encorporate beadwork and embroidery into my work. Just having fun with all the things I learned to do growing up.

dornjh
04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi All!!

I'm Jenn--I can't believe that it's taken me this long to get on this forum but I'm starting to try harder patterns that I keep getting stuck on. I don't want to fudge it because I really want my projects to turn out... I hope I can find good help here, share what I've learned and meet lots of other cool knitters!!

savta
04-26-2009, 12:58 AM
This is a great site. Does anyone know how to knit a mandarin collar. I am knitting a top down raglan cardi. Thanx.

rjdecker
04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi, my name is Jenny and I am a beginning knitter. I have tried to knit a few times, but got frustrated. A friend referred me here for some help and I am very excited! I am an avid crocheter and I want to add knitting to my repertoire. So, here I am! Wish me luck!

MrsWildchild
04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I came across this site by accident the other day while looking up "Continental method" style of knitting. I've been knitting for ages (since I was about 10 I think), and I am also a fan of British shows, including the Agatha Christie Miss Marple series, and I recalled how when watching her knit on the show it always looked funny - not at all like what I did. I vaguely remember reading something when I was a teen about there being an American style and a Continental style, but I didn't bother with it much at the time. Now that I'm considerably older, I thought I might investigate the Continental style to see if it was something that I might find useful. I'm always looking for forums where I can discuss things I like to do with others who like the same!

A lot of us have found this site by searching for knitting instructions. It's great, this site is so popular now, if you google just about any knitting term now, you're bound to hit this one in your top two or three hits!

Yeah, the difference between continental and English is sort of obvious if you're used to seeing the telltale "throw" of the English style, where the right arm makes a big sweeping circle to wrap the yarn (or if you're used to not seeing this).

The other difference I have noticed on TV is that some people hold their right needle like a pen, putting the "writing" end through the stitch.

dogsandwoods
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
My name is dogsandwoods and I've just joined. After one knitting class, I seem to have develped the ability to have my knit stitches and purl stitches look exactly the same. Aren't I talented? Help! :)

dustinac
04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
:yay:Welcome to KH everyone!!

My name is dogsandwoods and I've just joined. After one knitting class, I seem to have develped the ability to have my knit stitches and purl stitches look exactly the same. Aren't I talented? Help! :)

:teehee: When you work the two sts are you working like just the knit st for awhile? This will give you garter and it would look like your purl sts if you just knitted the purl st for awhile. Have you tried knitting one row and then the next row purl? If you do this for a bit it should give you stockinette stitch...or you could do K1, P1 for a ribbed look...

Mistyrosern
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
:knitting: Hello everyone!! I taught myself to knit about 6 months ago and am learning to step beyond my comfort zone. Right now I am struggling with wich yarn to use for each project. I plan to get this issue under control soon with the help of this site!!

Shandeh
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM

New to site, needed to know how to do k2tog tbl for a pair of socks I am knitting from the book, Knitting circles around". What a great site, got what I needed from a video.
I'm glad you got the answer you needed in Amy's videos! :)

...........I am also a fan of British shows, including the Agatha Christie Miss Marple series.......
I'm a big fan of the Agatha Christie books. I'm trying to find and read them all now. :heart:

This is a great site. Does anyone know how to knit a mandarin collar. I am knitting a top down raglan cardi. Thanx.
If I were you, I would look for a knitting pattern for a top that has a mandarin collar. Then use those instructions for the collar for your cardigan. Good luck!

..........Right now I am struggling with wich yarn to use for each project........
That's a struggle we all go through. Sometimes, you choose a yarn for a project, then when you start knitting it, it just doesn't work like you thought it would. It's a learned skill that takes lots of trial and error to work out. Good luck!

fdollie
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

I am so excited about this website. I am a new knitter and have done about 3 scarves and 1 baby sweater for my beautiful new granddaughter. I am looking for a lesson on finishing a sweater. Where on the website should I look?::)

merlacher7
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Hello!

I am a WAHM who taught herself how to knit 7 years ago. I love to challenge myself with knitting and am determined to knit my DS many wool diaper covers.

Sometimes I get stuck, and can't get out of the house to get knitting help.

This forum will be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

justsunnie
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Hello all! I'm a graduate student from Georgia who has been knitting for a year and a half, crocheting for three. Been on Ravelry for a while, and am just now getting my feet wet here.:woot:

Shandeh
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

........I am looking for a lesson on finishing a sweater. Where on the website should I look?::)
There are some videos on seaming and finishing in the "Videos" section.

The following page has a "Finishing" section. Just scroll down the page to see it.

adani74652
04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
HELLO!!

I am an hard core knitter, my favorite places to knit are at home in front of the tv, and at my favorite LYS Northampton Wools in Northampton. They give great advice and have awesome yarns choices. :woohoo: i look forward to meeting you all and talking on here. enjoy your knitting and remember "eat less knit more"

maggie22153
04-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank You for your warm welcome..
I am a new knitter and am in awe of those that do such beautiful work.
I am working on a triangle wrap and doing ok, but will be looking for advice..
I'm excited to search the forum and see new ideas....::woot:

beachbean
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi there!! My name is Allison and I have become addicted to knitting. i have knitted of and on over the years but lately (while going through my divorce) I have found comfort in my needles... knitting needles. I have started my first project which is a soft pink baby blanket. Very excited to see it finished. Anyway.... hope to meet some great people here who also enjoy knitting. :)

Jeremy
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!

albertanfarmgirl
04-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi, I am so excited to have found this forum! I have been knitting for about five years and learned to crochet three days ago. I am currently finishing peicing together an afghan, and am excited to be starting another project soon.
Can't wait to see what exciting new thing I can learn here, maybe even get some help with a couple of patterns...

mlle.ana
05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Hello!

My name is Ana, I'm loving this website! I'm trying to learn how to knit and I've been having so much fun! I want to try knitting something bigger, so I'm looking for helpfull books, different king of needles and different kinds of yarn.. I'm sure you cah help me a lot by sharing your experience :)

peggyll
05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Responding to request for introduction, I'm Peggy and have been knitting, off and on, for 60 years after having been taught by my best friend at the time, Betsy Ellis. Our fathers were stationed at the military base in Argentia, Newfoundland at the time and we lived on the base. Currently I live in Alta Loma, CA with my spouse, our cat and several fish. I knit for family, especially 2 grandchildren in Moscow, Russia and I belong to a United Way group that knits for charity. We've been knitting socks for wounded soldiers from the middle east who are transferred to the hospital in Germany without any of their own belongings. We thought they might enjoy some nice soft handmade socks to keep their feet warm and to express our appreciation for their sacrifice regardless of our feelings about the politics of the war. We have knit blankets for the poor, for babies in the hospital and for dogs and cats to sleep on in the local shelter. All levels of expertise are welcome in the group which meets one night a week at a local coffeehouse. Young women (and occasionally men) who have never knit a stitch are taught and attendance can serve court ordered community service requirements. I spend a month a year visiting my ex-daughter-in-law and grandchildren in Russia and knit things to keep them warm in the fierce Russian winter. Since I found this site I keep coming back to it, watching videos, finding patterns, reading and saving tips and pointers, etc. It's a great site and I'm so grateful for having stumbled on it. Thanks so much for making it available. I won't be so gabby in the future.

NanRosen
05-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I am Nan Rosen from Denver. I am legally blind and presently trying to re teach myself nitting. I was a handweaver for many yeaars.

Now I am off to practice casting on and a few stitches for my first project.

Nan

jstitt
05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm brand new to knitting, and this website is fabulous. Pretty cool when you can sit with a wireless laptop playing the tutorial videos and learning to knit. I just checked the glossary. What a helpful resource. Hats off to you! :yay:

sukigirl74
05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I just took a beginner's class on knitting and despite the dropped stitches and the general mistakes I have come to enjoy it more and more. When I do get into trouble I head here and watch the videos and check out the forums...such helpful people!
Thank you Amy, the moderators and all the people on the forum for this great site! :muah:

Shandeh
05-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello to all of you! Nice to meet you....I think you'll enjoy our KH Forum. I certainly love it! :heart:

Sobtanian
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Hello KH!

Been teaching my self how to knit for a few months now, ever since my wife got pregnant with our first baby (yes, I'm a man!). Left handed also but learning the right-handed English way :)

Almost all the stuff I've done know has been with watching/reading the KH stuff here, so long-time lurcher, first-time poster :)

Managed to finish 4 things till now: a simple cable scarf and a half-fisherman's rib scarf for Kelly, a little hat and sweater for Adam (the baby, not born yet!)

Most of the stuff I'm doing is from Debbie Bliss' knitting for beginners baby book.

So..... hello KH!

Jeremy
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the forum!

azknitter
05-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Hi, I am new to the site and am looking for some help on reading a pattern.. Row 1 goes like this.. K5. *c2b. c2f K9. Rep from * to last 9 sts. C2B. C2F. K5

I do not understand what the c2b and c2f mean..

Sugar
05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Hello Everyone :),

I'm not sure that I am in the "Introduce Yourself" message box, but it was the only one I saw......I am a quilter, and love it, but as we travel frequently I need something a little more portable than that. I used to knit a long time ago, but since I had teacher, I could only knit realllllly long scarves.....:)......(didn't have the foggiest how to 'turn corners'! or get littler, or bigger....so I quit. I had red knitting needles, and a yellow counter, ......that's it. No patterns, because I didn't understand them. I used to think that home knit sweaters were very blocky and stiff looking, and so I wasn't interested.......but lately, at my local wonderful quilt and craft shop, I have seen women wearing lovely sweaters that look soft and 'gentle'......and have been told that they had knit them themselves...so now, I'm interested.......
My name is Sue, not Sugar, but there seemed to be several forms of Suealready taken when registering :)........I'm looking forward to teaching myself to knit productively.....with the videos and posjtings on this site.......my first problem, I need NEEDLES!!.....what is the recommended size to buy for 'beginners'?......I'm sure somewhere on this site there is a suggestion, but in the Getting Started tab, I didn't find it......so Hello!......and Help! :)
Sue B.

Marinemom2
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Sue, I'm brand new here too. I also used to knit a very long time ago. I really want to get back into it. I'll check-in from time to time and will be scouting around the site. My first project is going to be a simple knit cap. I have to finish a needlepoint project first. Nearly done with it so I'd better get started on it. It's great to be here!
Sheryll

Shandeh
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi, I am new to the site and am looking for some help on reading a pattern.. Row 1 goes like this.. K5. *c2b. c2f K9. Rep from * to last 9 sts. C2B. C2F. K5
I do not understand what the c2b and c2f mean..
C2B means "Cable 2 back"
C2F means "Cable 2 forward"
You should see instructions in your pattern for how they want you to do the cables.

...........my first problem, I need NEEDLES!!.....what is the recommended size to buy for 'beginners'?......
There are many different sizes of knitting needles. You'll eventually need all of them. Since you're just beginning, I would recommend buying the needles as you need them for each particular project. Just find a pattern you want to make, and buy the suggested yarn and needles for it. Good luck!

Sugar
05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=Marinemom2;1227837]Hi Sue, I'm brand new here too. I also used to knit a very long time ago. I really want to get back into it. I'll check-in from time to time and will be scouting around the site.

I appreciate the welcome and response about needles and such. From your 'name' Sheryl, ....I'm also a military mom.....all grown up and career he is......I am trying to figure out this site, I know I have more than two replies, but can't find them.......anyone have a solution? I'm not usually so dense about navigating a website....hmmm......'course, haha, if you do, I probably won't be able to find it :woohoo: :yay: I'm very excited to learn something new.......I will start watching the videos seriously.......
Thank you!!
Sue B.

Shandeh
05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
.....I am trying to figure out this site, I know I have more than two replies, but can't find them.......anyone have a solution?
There are a couple things you can do.
You can look at your posts, and see if anyone has replied to them. Click "Quick Links", then "My Profile". In your profile, click "find all posts by Sugar".

Or, you can subscribe to discussion threads you are interested in following. When you are reading a discussion you like, go to the top of the page, click "Thread Tools", then click "Subscribe to this Thread".

Be sure you have your email notifications turned on, so you'll receive an email when people reply to those posts and discussion threads.

tryingtoknit
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
That's me...tryingtoknit. I've been knitting for about 1 1/2 years now, so I'm in the category of washcloths and scarves. I still have trouble fixing my mistakes. Basically, I'm self taught. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to count rows. I'm really confused, but I'm havin' fun!

efudge
05-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi,
I hope I'm posting this correctly. I have just started knitting. I have finally learned how to cast on and I only know the "knit stitch". Any suggestions for a super easy 1st project? Thanks in advance!

Elaine

Meck63
05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
I am so happy I found this site. I was able to find some very useful info on fixing loose edge stitches. Great! One question, though -- I'd like to try making my own cable knitting needles. What kind of cable should I use and what is the best way to connect the cable to the wooden needles? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Meck63
05-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi efudge.
I don't call myself an expert, but I've been knitting for a few years now. Almost everyone I've spoken to, including myself, begins with scarves. At least you don't need a pattern. You can make it as long or short and as wide or narrow as you desire. Enjoy.

teatimesis
05-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hello all, I am living in London Ont. and I am trying to learn to knit again!! My Mum taught me years ago but I only know how to Knit an Purl. I don't know anything else not even to start??? I am not able to work so I crochet a lot and would like to start knitting. I want to keep my hands going with yarn. Which I am addicted to ! But I think we all are. I can't pass by a wool dept. without being drawn in. lol I would love to knit in a group because I do not have a lot of contact with many people.
Hope to hear from everyone soon
Cindy

pinktoque
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I realized a long while back I posted in this thread to basically just say that this place was my knitting bible and that I've learned everything after the cast on and knit stitch from the videos here, but I didn't really introduce myself.

I'm Lesley. I'm a Hoosier girl born and raised, but moved to Calgary, AB Canada in June 2006 and am closing in on my 3rd full year here! My husband and I are thinking of moving back to Indiana at the end of the summer to be closer to family so we can start our own family.

I've always been crafty. It started out with handmade cards (which I still do to this day; I can't remember the last time I purchased a store-bought card) and then painting, scrapbooking, sewing and knitting, crochet, digital scrapbooking design and everything in between. If it's crafty, I'll make it. Or I'll figure out how. I keep it all at my craft blog: The Pink Toque Craft Blog (http://craftblog.pinktoque.com). I'm just about to start learning to spin on a drop spindle. My husband has started jokingly taking bets on what the next craft obsession will be that I add to my repertoire. I'm also pinktoque on Ravelry!

As I mentioned I live with my husband in Canada -- we have no kids (yet) but we do have two dogs... a 6 year old border collie/brittany spaniel mix named Oliver, and a 1 year old white miniature schnauzer named Winston. I am an elementary teacher by trade, and I usually take temporary office jobs to keep me busy during my summer break. Life is wonderful. :woot: cloud9

Shandeh
05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Welcome! Welcome! :hug:
Nice to meet you all. I hope you enjoy our KH Forum. :)

........Any suggestions for a super easy 1st project? Thanks in advance!.........
Hi Elaine! I made a webpage with links to beginner knitting patterns. You'll see the link in my signature below. You should be able to knit several of those patterns. :thumbsup:

........I'd like to try making my own cable knitting needles. What kind of cable should I use and what is the best way to connect the cable to the wooden needles? Thank you for any help you can give me.
You'll probably get some good answers in our "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section. Try posting your question there.

........I only know how to Knit an Purl. I don't know anything else not even to start???.........
Hi Cindy!
Click on our "Videos (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit)" section, and you'll see lots of free knitting videos to help you get started. Amy Finlay and her husband Sheldon created this wonderful website for us. Her first project was to make all the videos here. They're wonderful! Good luck.

Caffre
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Hello there.

I was looking for help with my knitting and found this website cloud9
I'm not much of a knitter (yet). I've done a scarf so far and thats it, and that was about 4 years ago. I'm working on a little baby jumper and I've sworn and cursed over it but the end is in sight lol.

I'm looking to add an extra stitch at each end of the row. Think I found what I'm looking for on this wonderful site:heart:

Thanks

Caffre :)

bonnie22
05-09-2009, 12:00 AM
hi, my name is bonnie and i just happen to come across this site.my daughters and i started knitting last yr. and we just love knitting this site will really help us out. plus sounds like a fun place to be.

nurseperch
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I have recently begun knitting again after a 30 year break! There are so many new and exciting yarns and patterns. I'm sure I'll learn all kinds of new tips. I'm happy to be part of this forum.

semicuevas
05-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi, I am a male knitter, and have found this site fantastic for getting answers to problems, the videos are especially useful, many thanks for being here in my hour/s of need! All the best and keep up the good work

Alan
Jaen Andalucia Spain

kat1e
05-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi there,
I was a knitter, but I began to hate it because I could not recover from mistakes and was very slow, so I took up crocheting for about 2-3 years and then a friend of mine suggested continental..........she's a genius. so, now I'm back! :) I did a cable purse, and now I'm working on a hat and then I want to knit a baby blanket....and so many things in addition to my crocheting. :) Here's my blog:
http://Katherine-the-great.spaces.live.com

Thanks you so much for the videos! They are lifesavers. :)
~Kat1e

ges333
05-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I just found this site and haven't had a chance to explore. I am a new knitter. I have only done a few things so far. I have made baby wash cloths for the little ones in the family. I am now making a shoulder warmer. I wish I could make something that I could sell to keep this hobby going so I could at least get the change to pay for the materials needed. I am thrilled to find this site so I might seek the help I need.:woohoo:

Shandeh
05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :hug:

nitza
05-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi I just found this site. I dont knit but have been wanting to learn for a long time and tried with books, but dont get it . Your video is very helpful, :woot: I think I might get it now.

Thanks
Nitza

pippaj
05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
A brand new member - in fact very new to the whole idea of on-line communities, so set me right if I break protocol. I've been knitting for years [actually over 60], and I'm a believer my favorite mantra "Knitting is not Brain Sugery" - a pattern is only a set of guidelines, and that gets easier the more experience you get. Knitting is an important part of my life - I live in the wilds of Nothern Michigan, but I'm lucky enough to be only 25 miles away from my LYS in Gaylord which is not just a grea yarn store, but also a wonderful collection of women [and the occasional man] who are part friends, part family and my weekly day at the knitting table is an important part of my life. If you're not part of a knitting group, find one, or start one if you possibly can. That's what's so wonderful about this site though - knitters are supportive people, no matter what age, race, creed, socio-economic background, once the needles come out, we are all just knitters.:grphug:

mscharlie
05-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Everyone!
I stumbled on this site while hunting for something else. This is great...I can talk to more happy knitters!

psychoticknitter
05-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi! my name is Amy and I'm trying to learn how to knit..my mom was a knitter and she never got around to teaching me..I can't drive so going to JoAnne's or Michael's is out of the question for now..the videos on here..the woman goes so fast I couldn't comprehend..I am so clumsy, I had a hard time keeping the yarn in my fingers trying to start up the first stich..(first whine) I have a short attention span for one thing, and my eye-hand coordination sucks..I need visual help..otherwise I'm lost and confused..so I was hoping this website would help me..:shrug: can anyone help a clumsy left handed (I think) beginner?:gah: :poke: :fingerwag:

Shandeh
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Welcome to our wonderful forum. cloud9

I hope things get easier for you, psychoticknitter. Just take your time, and be patient with yourself. It's better to learn it slowly and correct, than it is to learn it fast and wrong. :thumbsup:

jtandbobbi
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi

My name is JT I'm a 66 year old male. My business is making stained and beveled glass windows. I'm also a potter and do sculptures. I'll soon be starting a course in knitting at the local community college. Hope I'm in the "introduce yourself thread."
Have a great evening.