PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30

knititgood
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm kind of new. I used to be rorygilmore but i haven't login in with that user name in over a year and I couldn't remember my password or the email i used.

Shandeh
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Welcome, Welcome! Nice to see you both. :hug:

VickiB
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Hello This is my first time here I learned to knit from my mother when I was about 9 years old and that was a really long time ago lol
I haven't done too much with it Can just do simple thing. I did make my husband a cable pullover this year. He really likes it so must have done it fairly correct. I am trying to learn to use a circular needle without twisting my stitches and figureing out where the rows end. I found this web site in the Women's day Magazine issue for June 2 2009 issue in an article called 20 free things to do next weekend. Think the person who wrote the article is a member here or has been in the past. Will spend some time looking around and looking forwars to seeing the free patterns you have listed. I am also an avid crocheter. Thanks for letting me join

VickiB

:hug:

Krisnbren
05-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi there,

My name is Kristi and I've just joined the site. I love it and have been referring to it a lot!!!

K

slytherati
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
I just joined up on the forums, but I've been using this site for a while. I taught myself how to knit in December 2007 using the videos, and after I did my first couple of projects, I ended up lapsing out of the knitting habit for a while. Now that I've picked the needles back up and am doing projects with actual increases / decreases, the videos have been so much help to my visual learning style!

Looking forward to interacting with everyone. :D

AvidKnit
05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
:woohoo: Hello! From Manchester, England..... Are you all from the U.S. and Canada?? I'm looking for a site on which I can communicate with other knitters/crocheters... Will wait for any answers to make sure I'm on the correct thread!:knitting:

dustinac
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Welcome to KH everyone!! :yay:

:woohoo: Hello! From Manchester, England..... Are you all from the U.S. and Canada?? I'm looking for a site on which I can communicate with other knitters/crocheters... Will wait for any answers to make sure I'm on the correct thread!:knitting:

Welcome to kH! There are knitters from everywhere here on KH...just jump in on the forums and post away...here is the forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)to find knitters near you :thumbsup:

skidoo12
05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Hello my name is DeLynn and I just joined. I have taught myself to knit and crochet and now I am starting to teach my 2 granddaughter's the same. This seem's like an amazing site.

kimkarnold
05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi, my name is Kim Arnold and I'm fairly new to knitting. I have just recently branched out from scarves to trying to knit market bags. I am so excited to find this website. The videos are awesome.:-P

Shandeh
05-14-2009, 09:33 PM
.........I am trying to learn to use a circular needle without twisting my stitches and figureing out where the rows end.....
Hi Vicki! :waving:

I made a video about "joining in the round" to start off circular knitting. You can see a link to it in my signature below. Hope it helps you!

Rayncloud
05-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone I'm Amy from NC. I am 32 and I have been knitting for about 7 years. I am so eager to learn new things. I am so happy to have stumbled onto this site.

seemadavid
05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hi and thanks for th ewelcome! I am a new knitter...abt 4 weeks or so and am working on a Afghan of 12 squares and have got to my 4th square...and am stumped with the stitch- purl with wrap 3PW3 and in the next row I have to slip2. Can u help???

copmil
05-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Everyone from New Zealand,

My name is Jo and I just started knitting last year. I've used this site many times for the videos and am not sure why I have never looked at the forum before.

This is a great site and is pretty much the only site I use to sort out stitches etc.

Looking forward to looking around a bit more

:muah:

Franogram
05-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I am a Great Grandmother so I don't know how well I"ll fit here but I have been knitting for years and still learning, hopefully from you all. Right now I"m into socks (not that good at it yet) I found a pattern on the internet for "Easy worsted Weight socks" I am making them with "Noro Yarn" which I love. Next I"d like to learn how do do socks on circular needles and I definately need help with that!

Rosley
05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Hello from Australia!
This is a fantastic site. I consider myself an experienced knitter in the 'British' method, but I've heard that the continental method is faster. Went looking for tips and videos and found your site. Fantastic videos, so easy to follow the methods and much, much better than trying to learn from a book! Fantastic!

Lisabrubinstein
05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Just followed the instructions from someone for bind off in rib and finished my first sweater without even having to go to the knit shop again!!! Thank you!!!

JudyKnits
05-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Judy & I learned to knit in my 20s. Now I'm in my 60s and find knitting to be a wonderful hobby. It keeps my hands out of the cookie jar! :teehee:

I look forward to reading about the joys and struggles of knitting.

JudyKnits
05-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Hello! My name is Judy. I'm a grandmother and I think you will fit in just fine (with me anyway). We can all use help from time to time. I'm fairly new to knitting even though I learned in my 20's. The first things I knitted were scarf, hat, and socks. I love knitting socks and a friend gave me a great hint on using cotton-elastic yarn. It sure made a difference! Keep working on those socks. I've made 4 pair and each one gets easier and easier. Sorry, I haven't used circular needles yet so can't help you there.
I'm sure there is someone here to help though.

Shandeh
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum everyone!
:heart: :hug: :heart:

.......am stumped with the stitch- purl with wrap 3PW3 and in the next row I have to slip2. Can u help???
I'll copy your question to the "How To" section. Hopefully, you'll get some help there.

......I"d like to learn how do do socks on circular needles and I definately need help with that!
Here is a wonderful free tutorial on knitting socks with circular needles: Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)

wshera
05-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Hi Amy, thank you for welcoming to knitting help.com. i started knitting when my grandson was born in Jan. this year and have been knitting since then. i have knitted a couple of projects for example hats, gloves but i am getting better at by the day. would like your help on this particular pattern that says"K2(p1,k2,p1)" do i knit the stitches within the brackets several time or do i repeat knit the 2 stitches outside the brackets as well. also one more question. how do i increase in a purl stitch. this site is so awesome. and found most of the knitting solutions. please help. thank you. wshera

Shandeh
05-18-2009, 06:05 AM
.....would like your help on this particular pattern that says"K2(p1,k2,p1)" do i knit the stitches within the brackets several time or do i repeat knit the 2 stitches outside the brackets as well. also one more question. how do i increase in a purl stitch.....

Hi wshera, You'll get lots of help with these questions if you post them in the "How To" section of the forum.

I'll offer my help here, though....

Regarding your first question, your repeating will depend on what the pattern specifies. Sometimes, they tell you to repeat everything within the brackets. Other times, they specify that you knit between asterisks. So, check your pattern for your answer.

For your second question, you could do a Purl Front & Back (PFB), or a Yarn Over (YO), or a Make One (M1). You'll see more increasing and decreasing options in the Videos section of this website. Just look for the links at the top of this webpage.

Good luck!

savta
05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi,

firstly, use at least #8 needles and yarn approrpriate to needle size. Knitting is a two handed art so it does not matter if you are left handed. I had no problem teaching my lefthanded granddaughter to knit. Just keep playing the videos and pause them. Good luck.

savta
05-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Dear Vicki,

Knit the first row straight across. Then all your stitches will be going the same way and you can join on the next round.

TuziToo
05-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi Ya'll! I love this site.

A little bit about me: my Mom taught me to knit when I was younger, but I never had the patience to follow through with finishing anything other than house slippers. Now I'm in China, and all the women on my husband's side of the family knit (without patterns), and they're teaching me to knit the same way! It's really exciting for me, because I'm learning how to make things without having to follow someone else's pattern, and how to finish things in a timely manner. (There's a way of holding the needles here that really seems to speed up the process from what my Mom taught me.) There's only two downsides: first is that it's all in Chinese, so reading patterns in the future might prove to be a little difficult, and second, I find myself staring at people's sweaters trying to figure out how something was done, rather than paying attention to what they are actually saying to me (I know, it's rude.)

My husband thinks I have completely lost my mind, but I don't see this hobby going away. I figured it was time to join this forum when I caught myself lurking here almost everyday for the past two+ months.

AnneRozkydal
05-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Hi! My name is Anne and I just found this website while looking up some knitting abbreviations. I learned to knit when I was a little girl (just basic stuff), and have just gotten back into it this past fall. I retired from the Air Force after 24 years, so now have more time to pursue crafts. Just since November, I knit an aran for husband, sweater for my grown daughter, numerous pairs of socks and a hat. What I've come to realize is I need to work on proper technique for holdng yarn. I knit all those items without holding the yarn in my fingers - it was just hanging. Fortunately, my tension did come out fine, but doing it properly would increase my speed and also improve on what seems fine and make it better. There's that and then working with more than 1 color at a time. I am currently taking a 3 session class to knit mittens in a fair isle design. It's going well...I've just started carrying the yarn in both hands. The only thing I am not getting the hang of, is when I need to catch the yarn up without knitting it, so I don't have a long loop inside. Some of the pattern has as many as 9 stitches in one color, so I am picking up the yarn about every 3rd stitch, to keep smaller loops on the wrong side. The outcome looks right, but it is really awkward, and I am always getting the yarn all twisted around each other. When this is going on, I am carrying both strands of yarn in one hand, because I just can't see how it is done and then actually duplicate. I've watched my instructor numerous times...not getting it. Is there a video for this? Thanks so much. This website is quite exciting!

AnneRozkydal
05-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Sorry! Just getting the hang of thisforum and mistakenly posted this twice.

joan adis
05-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Good morning & welcome Tuzi, i am a struggling knitter and love every minute of it. i want so badly to knit a sock by the magic loop way. my good friend Manor just moved a couple weeks ago to China. she is a single mom, grown kids & grandkids, she is not chinese, but she moved, it took her a while to get papers, she fell off the escalater soon as she got there, and now he she has to have surgery there in China.

joan adis
05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Wow, you are doing great, i want to knit socks but keep having trouble when i get to the heel part, did you have any trouble. did you do it the magic loop way? did you take a class for socks?

playfulpixie
05-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Hello all my fellow knitters! I am brand new here. I have been knitting for about 7 years. I am a single mom of a wonderful 11 year old boy. I live in southwest virginia..half the town is in tenn. I love to wear and play with fibers of all types, bright colors and the crazier the better! Hope to see you all around!

Shandeh
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi everyone! :waving:
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum! :hug:

irispetitefleur
05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello !

My name is Iris, I'm 31, and I am a french knitter.
I Loooove this site (the more helpfull I've found until there !). I don't come very often, but I always learn a lot !
Thanks for shearing your knowledge ! :muah:

*I*

emraldeyz
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I first got interested in knitting when I saw the infomercial for the "Incredible Sweater Machine". I love sweaters and it looked so easy. So I bought one. It worked fine but I wanted something that could easily do more complex things so I bought a PASSAP E-6000. It was a great machine but unfortunately it was destroyed in storage after moving from Texas to Florida:waah:.

I am teaching myself to knit by hand as I now don't have money to replace the machines. I can knit and purl but don't ask me to do shaping yet:think: :wall: . So far scarves are the limit of my knitting ability.

I am looking for people who knit here in the Hernando Co., FL area who can help me be more creative. If you know of a group drop me a line.
:guyknitting:

Irishmam
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi, I am a brand new knitter inspired by reading a brilliant novel by Gil McNeil called "Divas Don't knit", which of course they do...

Christinamay
05-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi from the uk, I started knitting again after 20 years, need lots of help that's how I found this site! Also teaching myself crochet again with the help of the happy hooker.

StellasKnits
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone! I stumbled across your site (can't remember how) and am thrilled to be a part of it. I learned to knit over 40 years ago from my Norwegian grandma and have been selling my items at craft shows for many years (thanks Grandma!). I recently opened up my Etsy store and am pleasantly surprised at the number of people interested in my work! :muah: If anyone is interested in viewing my site you can visit it at www.stellasknits.etsy.com. I'd LOVE to hear from you and any comments you may have. I look forward to becoming a more active member of knittinghelp.com!

Vicki
:knitting:

StellasKnits
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Congratulations! You've just entered the addictive world of knitting!

lmanafort
05-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am really excited to have found your website. I love to knit, quilt, crochet, garden and workout. I have recently sold my business so I have plenty of time for all my projects.

I live in Vermont on a large farm where my husband raises Scottish Highland cattle.

Would love to chat with all knitters. I'm not a beginner but need to move up to intermediate stuff with guidance.

Would really like to hear from all of you.

Liz:wink:

Shandeh
05-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

........I bought a PASSAP E-6000. It was a great machine but unfortunately it was destroyed in storage after moving from Texas to Florida :waah:.
So sorry that happened! :pout:
I am teaching myself to knit by hand as I now don't have money to replace the machines. I can knit and purl but don't ask me to do shaping yet :think: :wall: . So far scarves are the limit of my knitting ability.
Check out the "Videos" on our website (at the top of this webpage). Amy Finlay did a lot of work recording them for our education. It's the first place I go when I have to learn a new technique! :thumbsup:

I am looking for people who knit here in the Hernando Co., FL area who can help me be more creative. If you know of a group drop me a line. :guyknitting:
Check out our "Knitters Knear You" section. Just go to the main forum page, and you'll see it there.

Veraswanee
05-24-2009, 03:13 AM

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
I have just registered to be on this site. My name is Carol and I live in Australia. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice re some socks I am trying to knit and have already pulled out and started again. These are 2-Needle Socks and the instructions seem clear but I am having difficulty as I need things to be spelled out for me. I would need to attach the pattern to see if someone can help me out with my questions re certain aspects of the pattern, I suppose I need an expert in 2 needle sock knitting to guide me. Thank you.

Shandeh
05-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome, Veraswanee!

There is a wonderful step-by-step tutorial online that really helped me when I was learning to knit socks. I've made 22 pairs of socks since then, so I know it works. :thumbsup:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

toneknitter
05-25-2009, 07:02 PM
:hug: I am self taught knitter and I have a pattern from Sox Pixie and it says M1 Does anyone know what that is? Knitting help has PM which is also in the pattern, but I am really stumped on M1. I want to make the Clochette Hat.

I have been knitting on and off since my grandmother in 1960 taught me how to knit with pearl cotton, we were knitting bandages for burn victims that she sent to some place, I don't even know where it was. Then when I was about 9 she taught me how to make slippers. She never used a pattern and I never saw her knit anything else.

So far I have knitted scarves, hooded sweatshirts, a cabled sweater for a child, clothing for 18" dolls and baby sweaters, bonnets and booties. I have started a shrug.

On a personal note: I am a "younger?" widow, widowed at 51, and have been depressed, losing my income, having a house payment, (he had no insurance) and taking on a job to make ends meet. I also have a disabled 33 year old son living with me.:verysad: :verysad:

Knitting helps me a lot. I used to quilt when my husband was here but I lost the desire for now.

Would really like help with the M1 thing.:knitting:

Ingrid
05-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Welcome! I hope you find knitting to be as theraputic as I do.

A M1 is an increase that you work in the bar of yarn between the stitches. You can see video in the increase section. The one listed as M1L is probably the most invisible.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

PM is to place a marker on your needle to keep track of that spot. If you don't have any markers, a piece of yarn works--use a different color and just tie on a little loop. When you get to it, just slip it from one needle to the other.

toneknitter
05-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the information, with the video now at my grasp I can refer to it when I get stuck. I don't have any markers so I just stuck a couple of paper hole reinforcers together and used that, the needles are a #4 and it fit fine. :yay:

BOLLENAJ
05-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am an advid knitter who is retired after almost forty years with Baush & Lomb. I live in Spanish Lake, Mo. I have a very small house that is being overcome with much yarn.
My sister lives across the driveway from me and she is also an advid knitter. I have two grown sons and two beautiful granddaughters.

I am currently working on the Autumn shaw by Jojoland. My problem it with the edging and I was hoping someone could help me. I have knitted the edging but for some reason even with the dropped stitches I do not get the loops at the botton edge. Did I cast on incorrectly or is there a trick to getting the loops at the botton? Please help me.....I do not want to rip edging if I don't have to.

Thank you again for letting me join and I am looking for your help.

Alice in Spanish Lake

Tenorkate
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Hopefully I am introducing myself in the correct place here! I am Tenorkate, or Kate, 44 years old and live in Bergen County, NJ. I do not know how to knit but very much want to learn. I am an avid reader and am a Debbie Macomber lover! I love her stories related to knitting and also became a fan of Kate Jacobs who wrote The Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two. My mom taught me basics of knitting when I was a little girl but unfortunately, I can recall those basics. If I can master the art of knitting, I'd love to get involved in creating items for those in need, i.e. hospice patients, elderly in nursing homes, etc.

I came upon this site while doing an internet search for "Knitting Classes in Bergen County, NJ". The information was a bit outdated, but when I started reading through the posts, I loved what I saw. Seems like a wonderful bunch of people!

So if anyone know of groups or classes in Bergen County, I would love to hear back. Thanks so much! :hug:

momofjjbk
05-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi all

it was exciting to find this site - I have been knitting for a long time, but simple things. I hope I can learn enough to tackle some more interesting things.

Maybe I'll eventually have time to join a knitting group in my area.

I'm a mom of 4, grandma of one (age 9), and babysitter for said grandchild - the free time I had envisioned for this stage of life isn't here yet! I love to knit for her.

Shandeh
05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum! :muah:

........I am currently working on the Autumn shaw by Jojoland. My problem it with the edging and I was hoping someone could help me.......
Hello Alice! :waving:
If you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, you'll get lots of help! :thumbsup:

......I am Tenorkate, or Kate, 44 years old and live in Bergen County, NJ. I do not know how to knit but very much want to learn.
The easiest way to get started right now is to watch the videos Amy Finlay created on our website! Just grab some knitting needles and yarn and watch them over and over again. It's how I learned! :wink:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

I came upon this site while doing an internet search for "Knitting Classes in Bergen County, NJ"....... So if anyone know of groups or classes in Bergen County, I would love to hear back. Thanks so much! :hug:
Check out the "Knitters Knear You (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)" section of the forum to find other knitters in your area. :)

katieq
05-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Its a great forum too! Thanks

KnittingLizard
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi, I have always wanted to knit. I finally bought a book with a lot of pictures. I also found videos on youtube which lead me here. I have been knitting for about a month. (Just long enough to know that I don't know anything.):D I hope to continue learning and doing new things. I get bored easy. (The beginner scarf is killing me) Thanks for letting me be part of the group.

Cricket54
05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I've used this website for months, learning to knit by watching the wonderful videos here and loving every minute of it. (The Kitchener Stitch video alone is worth its weight in gold!) So I finally decided I should check out the Forum here. What a wealth of information....I just know I'm going to love it here!

~Cricket

BelWulff
05-28-2009, 10:14 PM
I just started knitting and just found this site. So far I love it! I was having trouble getting down the knit stitch, I watched the video and I think I finally got it! I think I'll learn a lot here. Thanks!

mommyknits
05-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi all,

My name is Jenni and I just started knitting, I have been knitting on looms for a few months and have now moved on to knitting needles. I love it! I have finally found a hobby that I am passionate about and really enjoy doing!! I can't wait to use this site and forums more!

eyerishroses
05-30-2009, 01:25 AM
I use to knit. I just started picking up the needles again. I came upon this site by doing google search for one piece knitting of sweaters. :cool: I wish this was around when I first started knitting! I learned from a book, I love your movies. Have a good day!

starpatch
05-30-2009, 04:01 AM
I am a new knitter...I love the new craft. and hope to make every one in the family new socks...just trying to master the 4 or 5 needles was just too much for this novice.:muah:

Have two books on circular sock knitting.:inlove:

But am practicing with worsted weight and 12 inch circulars to get the hang of how to do the entire sock, can't stop trying...after I finish the one sock, after many attempts and rip outs..I will do a happy dance and use my new sock yarn!:yay: :yay: :yay: :cheering:

I am so happy to fing this site...hope I can make some friends here.cloud9 cloud9 cloud9 cloud9

Meggityb
05-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi there!
I'm Meg and I first used your site last year when I was traveling, away from my knitting friends, and had forgotten how to do an increase that my pattern called for. I found you using Google and you walked me through it.
It took me a long time to learn to knit but I've got it now. I had always used the Throw Method and was reluctant to try Continental because I am just a slow learner for this kind of thing. Today I got brave, watched your instructional video, and I am Continental knitting like I was born doing it! So thanks for teaching me something new...and for helping me feel like I CAN do it!

Meg

tsardust
05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Just a short note to introduce myself---50ish(OMG) knitter living in Snohomish county Washington who is always looking for an opportunity to visit a LYS and add to my stash. thank you for allowing me to join this group. the frogging emoticon is cute!! kudos to you .tsardust

joan adis
05-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Did you really make 22 pairs, i just can't catch on. Did you do the magic loop? Which do you reccomend. Thanks

Shandeh
05-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

Did you really make 22 pairs, i just can't catch on. Did you do the magic loop? Which do you reccomend. Thanks
Yes, I did. Some of my socks were made with fingering yarn, others with worsted or DK yarn, and a few were made with chunky yarn (slipper socks). They were all made with double pointed needles. I prefer using dpns, because I just like doing things the old fashioned way. :teehee:

I tried Magic Loop, but didn't really like having the cords hanging everywhere. I also tried using two circulars, but didn't like having the needle points hanging around. I don't mind using dpns, because they just feel better in my hands. It really depends on the person. Some people use two circulars all the time. Others make theirs Magic Loop. Some prefer to make theirs toe-up, and others start from the top of the cuff (like me). You just have to try the different methods, and see which one you like. :)

Here are some of the socks I've made, and some of the ones I have in progress:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/45492549_e13a189a7a_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/77/163104056_c4b295e351_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/350229663_9fd2acf7b4_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/383745043_4c48bdecf9_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/247/461067358_13d2a0316a_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2090/1709977362_91a1f8abbb_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/1709126627_8b54fb9823_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/1799974008_5a4d6acc0c_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/3151445049_e2b4e1a58e_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3418253050_953146fbf5_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/3427395280_2a604ec2eb_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/504043313_1166661de1_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3333051327_96ba968d22_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3341348550_72fb38f170_m.jpg

ajsgram
05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi!

I am brand new to this site and a fairly new knitter. I took up knitting again after retiring. I always seem to manage to run into problems with understanding the patterns, so when I found this site, it seems to be what I need. I am a retired school teacher with 2 adult children and 2 grandchildren. My husband and I are fortunate in that we can be quite involved with the grands and manage to do a lot of fun things with them.

Now for my question which I will quote directly from the pattern."With smaller needles cast on 119 sts. Work in k1, p1, rib for 4 rows, increasing 1 st at center of last row. (120 stitches. Change to larger needles and work in pattern as follows:"

Since I have 119 sts on the needle, I am not sure where the center is. Do i increase after the 59th stitch? and does it make a difference how i increase?

Sorry for being so dense about this. It would have just been easier if it had been an even number of stitches in the first place.

Ingrid
05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome!

The reason you have an odd number of stitches for the ribbing is so you can start with a knit and end with a knit.

It really doesn't matter where you put that one stitch increase. It's just to bring it up a stitch. Anywhere will do.

sheila2720
05-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Everyone
I am much more of a sewer than a knitter, but I do enjoy both. 7th Grade - 48 years ago - HomeEc started my passions going. I can do alterations on a sewing pattern like crazy and have items fit like a glove. But when it comes to altering a knitting pattern, all I do is screw up.
Here's my problem. My unique body shape has a bit of an upper back shoulder curve. Now that used to be called a hump of some sort - but we've grown since those days. In my sewing, I can easily add fabric simply by slicing the pattern across the upper back and tweeking it so that I actually add fabric to the backside without altering the arm holes. Now, how can I do that in knitting? Any help for this stuck on stupid old woman would be appreciated.
Sheila

frockmama
06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi! I'm Melissa, wife to Nathan for ten years this fall, and SAH mom to two young boys and one (gender undetermined) on the way in August. I taught myself to knit about three years ago, but only started doing it regularly about six months ago. I'm having so much fun with it, and am just cranking out projects, mostly for my impending arrival. I've been using the videos on this site for a while now (SO helpful!! :muah: ), and just decided to jump in on the forums as well.

As for the poster above me, I believe the answer to your question is short rows, but I haven't done them yet, so I hope someone else jumps in to give you more info.

anitag
06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I am Anita from Santa Fe, NM. I have been crocheting for at least 35 years and decided last year to get back into knitting. I tried a couple sweaters several years ago and put my needles away when my hands got sore. Now that my hands are doing better after a momentary burn out, I am knitting more. I am looking forward to some much needed help in relief or picture-style knitting.

Shandeh
06-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum! :muah:

......In my sewing, I can easily add fabric simply by slicing the pattern across the upper back and tweeking it so that I actually add fabric to the backside without altering the arm holes. Now, how can I do that in knitting? Any help for this stuck on stupid old woman would be appreciated...

If you post this question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" part of the forum, you'll get lots of suggestions.

WolfMotaki
06-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone, from the very brief look around I've taken, this looks like just about the ultimate knitting forum!!

I started knitting when I was 8 (I'm 16 now), dropped it for a couple of years and picked it up again last year when we started a knitting club at school. Sadly enough, this club only lasted a few meetings before people lost interest. However, it was enough to rekindle my interest and I've now got my best friend into it too :P I've just started working on lace projects and so on...not hugely talented, but oh well, I do it for the fun of it :D

So yeah...that's my knitting life story :P Pleased to be here!!

christiecoupon
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi there! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Christie and I am new to knitting, so new that I still haven't even gone out to get my supplies. I have no idea where to start, so I asked some friends on another board I am on and they recommend that I come here. So, here I am:)
I look forward to learning alot about knitting and can't wait to get started.

StrzGypsy
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Hello Everyone, New to most forums, but like the interaction with other knitters. I am self taught and I know I have been to this site many times trying to figure out how to do things. I have made several afghans, dishcloths, scarves, fingerless mittens, socks, Christmas Stockings for most of the grandkids, and my latest thrill is the Alan Dart patterns. I am currently working on the Yuletide Gnomes and going to Barnes and Noble to pick up my first issue of Simply Knitting today. I am sure it will become a monthly expense that I can't live without. :knitting:

billthesoxfan
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi, My name is Laura and I live in Massachusetts and love to knit and crochet. I am the proud owner of many ufos and was hoping that joining a group would help me finish things when I run into problems. I don't know of anyone who knits around me and would love some people to chat with on the subject.

Fenella1967
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Guys,

I am late to life in knitting - actually come to it to solve the tedium of having a badly broken leg!

My sister has been teaching me but is now on Honeymoon for 3 weeks.

Can anyone help. I have knitted quite a few toys and cushion covers but am now moving on to baby clothes. Have gotten a Snuggly DK pattern 1768 - a girls cardi. I am now up to "Continue without shaping until armholes measure 10cm"? I am not sure what they mean by measuring 10cm, where I should measure this from? Start o:?? f garment - start of armhole, slant of armhole? As you can see complete novice, so please don't shout but please do help. You are keeping me sane with the knitting and I am loving it and can't wait 3 weeks for an answer!

Thanks,

Fenella1967

Shandeh
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:

.........My name is Christie and I am new to knitting, so new that I still haven't even gone out to get my supplies. I have no idea where to start, so I asked some friends on another board I am on and they recommend that I come here.......
Hi Christie! You can get started by watching the videos on our website. They will walk you through how to get started knitting. Just hover your mouse over the "Videos" link at the top of this page, then click "Getting Started". :)

Hi, My name is Laura.......I don't know of anyone who knits around me and would love some people to chat with on the subject.
You'll make lots of friends here in the forum. Be sure to look through our "Knitters Knear You" section. You might find some local knitters that way! :wink:

......Can anyone help.........Have gotten a Snuggly DK pattern 1768 - a girls cardi. I am now up to "Continue without shaping until armholes measure 10cm"?
Hi Fenella! You'll get lots of help if you post this question in the "How To" section of the forum! Good luck! :thumbsup:

1pinktoes1
06-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi,
I'ma beginning knitter and I enjoy it very much. This site is very helpful.
Brendi

Threadspinner
06-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow. I can't believe I haven't discovered this site before. Oh, and hello everybody!

theguywhoknits
06-06-2009, 07:33 AM
been knitting since I was 10yrs old (yep...all that long ago) always looking for usefu; tips etc...thanx for the website

Calyn
06-06-2009, 08:27 AM
HI every one ,
My name is Calyn ,
thankyou for letting me talk to you all!!

Calyn
06-06-2009, 08:30 AM
how do you cast off?

Calyn cloud9

lemonpuddind
06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
this web site ROXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:yay:

lemonpuddind
06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
2 cast off you knit 2 st then after u have 2 pull the 1st stich ouver the 2nd one then k another st then
repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat untill end and pull the yarn thou:knitting:

BlueNorma
06-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Hello, I'm brand new here and a week-old knitter. So far I've done half a pot holder and I'm working on a coaster. (That's what they look like. I'm supposed to be doing a scarf. :eyes: )

Anyway, I'm learning via the YouTube method. I learned to cast on pretty easily and I think I'm using the knit stitch? Purl is next.

Glad to be here!

:woohoo:

Shandeh
06-07-2009, 01:27 AM

how do you cast off?
Calyn cloud9
To cast off (or "bind off"), you can follow the directions in these videos that Amy Finlay made for our website:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/casting-off

Susieatthecircus
06-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm Susie, an artist and knitting/crochet designer. I am a regular contributor to Let's Knit magazine in the UK and a member of the Ravelry community. I'm also a member of a small drop-in knitting group that meets every Wednesday evening in a friendly local pub, The Pelton Arms, in Greenwich, South-East London. Beginners welcome, as there is plenty of expertise to share and pass on!
I have also started adding patterns to my weblog, www.susieatthecircus.typepad.com, which are free to share.
I'm currently working on a book of Knitted Flowers for Search Press, to be published this November and I've got another book coming out this autumn, called The Felted Bag Book, published by New Holland, which has lots of knitting and crochet designs.
I look forward to being a member of KnittingHelp.

motherpink
06-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Hello fellow knitters!

I was looking for baby bootees patterns and I had stumbled on this site which I enjoyed browsing and watching the tutorials videos and the needle making fascinated me. So I decided to join the knitting clan excuse the pun:p

I have been a knitter for years and I like new challenges.

Shandeh
06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Welcome to both of you! :hug:
We're happy to have you in our wonderful KH Forum.

You'll find other UK knitters in the "Knitters Knear You (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)" section.

bmay33
06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi! I finally worked up the nerve to come out of "lurkdom" lol! I'm Crystal, mom to 2, photographer, graphic designer, and now, knitter (well...eventually, anyway). I was sent to this site by a friend when I decided to try knitting a few weeks ago. I've only been knitting for about a month now, so the videos have helped me *a lot*. Thank you, to the wonderful members here who have created and made this site into what it is!! KH is (as I'm sure you already know) a great place for beginner knitters to start on their knitting knowledge!

madelovely
06-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Laura and I am a self-taught knitter. I have been knitting on and off ever since 2003-4? and have made mostly scarves, hats, and other simple things. I'm looking forward to getting to know some like-minded people and maybe learning a few new things!

Hope to talk to you in the forum!
Laura P

knittingnona
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Everyone~

My daughter showed me this site but I didn't realize there were these wonderful boards here too. This is such a great site with videos and help plus the boards and it's complete. I'm so excited because there is help at my fingertips.

I am a self taught knitter for several years now. I have mostly worked on scarves, blankets and a baby hat or two. Nothing too difficult yet! My newest venture is a pair of knitted pants for my grandson. There were several stitches I had never heard of so my daughter told me to go to this site. What a find!

I live in WA state but will soon be moving to San Diego CA. I love to knit, sew, make jewelry and scrapbook to name a few hobbies. I own my own business so I knit in my spare time. It will be great to meet others here with the same interests.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

JessicaM
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm Jessica (or Jessie). I'm 26 from E. Texas. My hubby and I have been together for 10 yrs and married for a little over 3. No babies yet, just our furbabies. We have 2 dogs, 2 birds, 1 cat, & a pot bellied pig. I work for an insurance agency as well as a consultant for Mary Kay.

I've been wanting to learn to knit pretty much forever but for some reason never have. After spending some time at a local bookstore looking at some books I decided to try it. I found an inexpensive begginers kit that has pretty much more than I know what to do with right now. I've learned to knit & purl and how to do the Stockinette Stitch & a Ribbing stitch. Oh and also binding off. Only about 4 days in so I have a LONG WAY to go.

There was a few things in the book that just didn't make sense to me so this morning I've been browsing the internet looking for some videos when I came across this site. So far I've just watched 2 videos and the Long Tail Cast On has changed my life. Seriously! I don't know why it wasn't that simple for me before hand! Also after watching the video I finally figured out how to wrap that dang yarn around my pinky ... couldn't figure that one out! HAHA.
I'm a very VISUAL person so I can't wait to dig into all the videos!

I look forward to learning a lot and meeting some new friends!

~*Jessica*~
:sun:

kjordan52
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for supporting me in my new endeavor of knitting a baby blanket. This is my first blanket. It is not a double knit. So how do I finish off the back besides tucking in my loose threads?

Shandeh
06-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Welcome everyone! :heart: :hug: :heart:

........This is my first blanket. It is not a double knit. So how do I finish off the back besides tucking in my loose threads?
You'll get lots of ideas from our members if you post this question in the "How To" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

soulmate
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi: I'm new to this forum. I've been knitting for a long time. I lost my husband to cancer in January and the past year he was sick haven't knit. I'm just now starting to get back into it. I live in the country in northern ontario, canada. I've knit just about everything from sweaters to socks and blankets, etc...and am now trying to tackle doing 2 socks at one time on circular needles. The book is Knitting Circles Around Socks. Not going so well but will keep trying. I have 3 adult children, 4 grandchildren and now a new great granddaughter is here. I also like to do tole painting, and I have tried crocheting. It's been a hard couple of years and now a rather lonely time for me. I go to yarn shops and it seems that buying yarn and patterns is my therapy. I can't walk into a store without leaving with some more yarn or books. My stash is enormous and i have to keep buying more totes to keep wool in. Anyway, it's nice to find a site like this one. I am stuck on the socks so i'll post in the forum. Thank you

ohhhdear
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm Marty, and I sortof got shanghaied into knitting in Fall 2008 when my mother in law gave me the extra yarn from a knit cap she had made for my Marine son. I wound up re-learning to knit and made 2 hats for all the guys in his unit in Iraq by Christmas!
That's where I started using circular knitting, then switched to Magic Loop for mittens.
Now I want to learn to knit socks with ML, but I'm having trouble translating the dpn patterns to Magic Loop when you get to the heel. Anybody have some tips or have gone through this too?

Thanks, and I really appreciate this forum!

mbrawn
06-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi,
I'm a beginner. I found that web site and was really impressed with the videos and they helped a lot:)

emmilen
06-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi!

I'm Emmilen and have been knitting for about 4 years. I love the videos here--very helpful! My favorite projects to knit are socks, but I've knit at least one of almost everything. I'm not an expert, that's for sure! I look forward to my time here.

knitmuse
06-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello, I am new to this site and the knitting community. My friend introduced me to it yesterday & I'm addicted, i'm still 'perfecting' the basics until I feel comfortable to actually make something, but I'm glad I found something to do to spend my summer. -knitmuse

Shandeh
06-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello everyone! Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum!
:muah:

.....I've been knitting for a long time. I lost my husband to cancer in January..........I'm just now starting to get back into it..........I go to yarn shops and it seems that buying yarn and patterns is my therapy.
Believe me, you are definitely among friends. :hug:
A lot of us have experienced loss in our lives, and our yarn and knitting is EXCELLENT therapy! :heart:

Hi everyone! I'm Marty................I'm having trouble translating the dpn patterns to Magic Loop when you get to the heel. Anybody have some tips or have gone through this too?
You'll probably find lots of help in the "How To" section of the forum. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Minerka
06-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself and to say thank you for the many excellent videos and tips. I am not a novice knitter, but am mostly self-taught - and I am learning every day. I have made lots of small baby things, mostly top down, and am in the process of knitting socks right now.

I am a single mother or two grown daughters and have 6 grandchildren, 5 by my eldest daughter, who is a stay-at-home Mom, and 1 by my younger daughter who is a junior high school music teacher. My thrill in life is when I get to babysit, or just spend time with the grandchildren.

I hope to utilize this forum for help many times in the future. Thanks again for letting me join you.

MariSav
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone. Obviously I'm new here. And I'm very new in knitting. For the longest time I wanted to learn how to knit. I learned a few basics but never advanced. Since I found this site I learned a lot more tricks. This is a great site and I love it!!

LauraN
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Hello all, Thanks for the great site. And it's nice to join the community. Been knitting for about 1 yr. and taking on a simple two-color baby layette in prep for my first grandchild (blanket, sweater, helmet, booties). Nice change from scarves :-) Started with the blanket of course, it's just a fat scarf! The videos and instructions take the fear out of trying something new.

Jeremy
06-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Ohh Dear -On magic loop, there are two needles. Use one needle for the heel stitches and the other needle for the instep stitiches.

Knitswithcat
06-16-2009, 08:30 PM
:woot:
Hello! I was looking at your Suspended-Bind off technique (I am binding off a shawl I made) and the video goes too fast for me & I couldn't get any sound to listen to the instructor, either. I replayed it over & over. I appreciate that this site has excellent tutorials, but I can't seem to see & hear all I need to in order to "get" this bind off.

Can anyone please type out for me, step, by step, how to do this process? Truly appreicate that this site is here and so willing to help and be friendly and wholesome!

Ex.

#1- Knit two stitches;

#2- ??????

Thanks & Happy Knitting:knitting:
Melody

nitrous
06-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Well I am off to a bad start, I dont know where you introduce yourself. I have looked but cant figure it out Nitrous

Aspasia
06-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Hello everybody

I'm happy to be a part of this Forum - thanks for having me. I've been knitting for more than 50 years, and my great love affair with knitting continues. I can still see myself as a small girl, struggling with a printed pattern, and a very ambitious one it was too. And the wonderful thing about knitting is that I'm still learning.

Good wishes to all.

Aspasia

Jeremy
06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
:woot:
Hello! I was looking at your Suspended-Bind off technique (I am binding off a shawl I made) and the video goes too fast for me & I couldn't get any sound to listen to the instructor, either. I replayed it over & over. I appreciate that this site has excellent tutorials, but I can't seem to see & hear all I need to in order to "get" this bind off.

Can anyone please type out for me, step, by step, how to do this process? Truly appreicate that this site is here and so willing to help and be friendly and wholesome!

Ex.

#1- Knit two stitches;

#2- ??????

Thanks & Happy Knitting:knitting:
Melody

Here are a set of clear pictures for you
http://bellaknitting.typepad.com/bella_knitting/2007/10/suspended-bind-.html

Jeremy
06-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone!:hug:

lucyl2b
06-18-2009, 10:54 PM
New member and pretty new to knitting. I learned several years ago and put it down. Now 2 kids later, I have started again. I consider myself to be a novice and have a lot to learn but it is fun fun fun!!!

mtatum3437
06-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I have knitted all my squares to make a baby blanket but I don't know the best way to sew together.:knitting:

racegirl91
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone, I am a new knitter, and look forward to learning new techniques, etc.

knitrach
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Hello Everyone!

My friend has been telling me about this forum, and I keep forgetting to join-but finally, here I am! I needed to learn how to knit in entrelac, and I couldn't find anything on youtube. I hope I learn it here.

I have been knitting for awhile (5 years?)and would like to learn more techniques. I'm currently working on a Lizard Ridge afghan and miscellaneous dishcloths. When I get bored with knitting the afghan, I pick up a dishcloth.

I also hope to find new friends and ideas. I am looking forward to hearing from others!

knitrach

bell7246
06-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I am fairly new to knitting but I would like to find a simple pattern for using speed stix to create a prayer shawl. I saw in the description of your website that it was founded by women who also love romance. Well, I am a romance reader of 50 years. So we've got some things in common.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Shandeh
06-21-2009, 02:20 AM

I have knitted all my squares to make a baby blanket but I don't know the best way to sew together.:knitting:
I usually seam squares together with a basic whipstitch (http://www.theknittingfairy.com/techniques3.htm).
Or, you could do a backstitch, as they recommend on the Warm Up America website: http://www.warmupamerica.com/join.html

My friend has been telling me about this forum, and I keep forgetting to join-but finally, here I am! I needed to learn how to knit in entrelac, and I couldn't find anything on youtube. I hope I learn it here. ........
If you ask in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section, you'll get lots of help! :)

I am fairly new to knitting but I would like to find a simple pattern for using speed stix to create a prayer shawl.
If you post your question in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section, I bet you'll get some ideas!

SNicole91
06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Hello, I am Sonya. Taught myself to knit in January 2009. Love it, addicted to it. Can anyone help me learn fagotted stitch?

suzeeq
06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Do you have a pattern that you need help with, or need the pattern? There are stitches at knittingonthenet.com, knittingpatterncentral.com, and at knittingfool.com I'm pretty sure there's a faggot st or two on a couple of them.

princessmomma
06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi! My name is Jennifer and I am teaching myself how to knit. It's been a lot of fun so far and I've become a master at making washcloths. Thanks to a very encouraging mother in law I'm starting to move on to some more complex projects and really enjoying myself.

A little about me: My husband and I have been married for 9 years. He works full time and I stay at home and home school our 3 children. We have 2 daughters who are 6 and 3 and just welcomed our son into the world 6 weeks ago. I also enjoy creating scrapbooks and other paper crafts and am always up for trying something new when it comes to crafts.

Jennifer

1granny45
06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Amy I can't find where to "register", And where do I "introduce myself???
Help,

srnsgoalie
06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi. My name's Christa and I'm from British Columbia, Canada. I just wanted to say thanks for this site. The videos are extremely useful, as I can't seem to learn anything from a book. I learned to knit when I was 5 years old. I knit mostly character sweaters for friends' children and babies. I also knit for a charity called Caring Hearts that provides knitted wear to underpriviledged children. You can see some photos of what I'm working on, as well as my finished projects at http://knitassassin.blogspot.com

:yay: Thanks again.

stitch626
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm a new knitter. I don't acctually call myslef a "knitter" because I'm so new to all this. I do love what I've made so far (which is 4 braclettes for some of my friends). A soon as my camera starts working I will post some pics. I love working with my hands. I acctually started doing handi-crafts with crocheting. My high school teacher taught me. Did I mention that I'm like 18?

Shandeh
06-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :cheering:

Hi Amy I can't find where to "register", And where do I "introduce myself???
Help,
You just did! :hug:
This is the place to introduce yourself.
So, if you want to reply with more information about yourself, go right ahead. :)

DNICE
06-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Hola my name is Denice! Every time I have a question on knitting techniques I always wind up here. The videos are always so very helpful and gets me on my way. I have used the help now for two years and didn't realize it had a forum...YAY!!! :woohoo: I learned to knit with my mom many years ago and let it go until a couple years ago when I wanted to make a baby blanket. 3 babies later I have become very good at the baby blankets, sweaters, hats, gloves, scarfs, socks and dresses. :knitting: When I don't have something to knit then I pace. I am glad to help anybody if I can. And hope that someone may be able to help me as I am very exasperated :shrug: on a recent pattern I have that reads binding off/casting off at the end of a row. Is their anyone out there that can help me? Crossed Fingers
I appreciate it and Thank you very much!:waving:

BreScrambled
06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi my name is Bre and I just started learning how to knit this past Wednesday June 24! I am 16 years old and volunteer at a nursing home my mother works at. There I was taught just how to purl and knit from an 100 year old woman, who is sharper and more with it than most people I know. Grandma B is what she wants me to call her. She is having me start with a US size 10 small (in length) needles. She casted on for me, yet hasn't showed me how to do it, so I am going to try to myself this weekend with out her help for I want to try something new other than the scarf-like thing she is just having me practicing with. Currently it is 15 inches long and 20 stitches across.

This is a link to my blogger I created for my journey to becoming a perfect knitter http://brekniting.blogspot.com/

Babbadean
06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey y'all,
I am so glad that this site is here cuz i started knitting a few years ago, then stopped for some reason. Not sure why! But I wanted to start again and did not want to pay to start learning again.
I am the mother of 3 young men. One of whom just got married and I am going to be a grandma, of a little boy and i want to knit him a sweater, though the only other thing I have knitted have been scarves.
OH yeah I forgot to say I am from NW Georgia, where it is extremely hot and muggy, I want to go where the cold is and snow!!
Barbara

TJKnit
06-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey there, I'm fairly new to knitting and had been told about this site but never made it here until now. I just finished my second scarf (just in time for the 100+ degree weather of Dallas ... ugh!!) and am looking to move onto something new. All I have done so far are ribbed patterns and grid patterns from knit/purl. I know nothing about different types of yarn and pretty much taught myself what little I do know by reading "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting," with a little extra help from my mom on the whole tinking thing (thanks mom!!). I can't wait to check out the videos and start learning, learning, learning. Thanks to all of you for putting this together and offering all sorts of support.
Cheers! :cheering:
-T
-ETA: Oops, forgot to say ... my name is Tara. Hi!

twinmomma416
06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi to everyone.

My name is Kim and I had started to teach myself to knit before I got pregnant with my twins. My mom crocheted when I was a kid, and she always promised she would make the twins blankets. She never did, and I've decided to right the wrong (it's a really long story).

So because I had gotten rid of all my stuff, I went out yesterday and bought two skeins for practicing, a size 8 circular needle set, and a gauge ruler and some markers. Hopefully that's all I need just to get my feet under me again. Then I'll start working on a basic blanket for the twins that doesn't require too many advanced skills. Hope I can find some help here!

Thanks,
Kim

Leania
06-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi, I'm Leania (its the name I use to sign all my arts and crafts things). I'm somewhat new to knitting, I was taught by my trainer for the job I used to work at and have since continued. Sadly I get distracted and frustrated easily and either completly undo the project I was working on, or it sits unfinished for a long while. I'm still working on my blanket that I'm crocheting for a king sized bed. I have enough yarn, just get distracted easily. I'm almost done with a scarf I'm currently on, and I finished a small..."thing" when I was learning double pointed needles. Looks like a small open bag with no pull-strings or a way to close it. I'm working on a more advanced project and I'll be posting in the help section next. I haven't seen the topic covered yet.

I'm a 27 year old mommy of a hyper-active 2 year old boy who hates it when mommy is doing something other than sitting still. Never fails, he's in his room playing, I pull out my knitting, he comes running in. :D No wonder I can't finish anything, LOL!

Jeremy
06-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:hug:

JuliaNursten
06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Good Afternoon,
I am an experienced knitter, living in sunny Worthing in the UK.
I have always avoided knitting patterns with different colours as I don't know how to weave the different colours on the wrong side of fabric. I have tried various things and have undone all my work again as it doesn't look smooth. Can anyone help?

Shandeh
06-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Welcome to our wonderful forum! :hug:

Hola my name is Denice!.............hope that someone may be able to help me as I am very exasperated :shrug: on a recent pattern I have that reads binding off/casting off at the end of a row. Is their anyone out there that can help me? Crossed Fingers I appreciate it and Thank you very much!:waving:
Hi Denice! If you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, you'll get lots of help. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Good Afternoon,
I am an experienced knitter, living in sunny Worthing in the UK.
I have always avoided knitting patterns with different colours as I don't know how to weave the different colours on the wrong side of fabric. I have tried various things and have undone all my work again as it doesn't look smooth. Can anyone help?
I'm no expert, but I usually weave in the ends at the section that was knit with each specific color. That way, the yarn doesn't show through to the other side. You can see a tutorial for weaving in ends here:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

jlbw
06-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Hello!
I haven't picked up knitting needles since I was a child, so I am rather new again. I am a crocheter and am ready to transition to knitting. For the last 6 weeks, I have been enrolled in classes and doing well. I am so excited about this new adventure and really want to understand and own it! I just pray I have the time to keep up with it. Crossed Fingers I am hoping to meet new friends and gain knowledge from this forum. I have enjoyed reading comments on the threads and already feel welcome to this site! I'm excited to be knitting again!
Happy knitting!
Janet

fransis
06-30-2009, 09:40 PM
hi! Everyone! My name is Fransis:muah:

suebeebee
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I tripped onto this site looking for a pattern. Haven't found the pattern yet but love the site! My nick name is Suebee. I have had it for a few decades! I have been knitting for around 6 or so years. I love it!
I am going to go wander around the site to find the pattern I want...I hope.

Suebee

Jeremy
07-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone.:hug:

MrlynW
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Just made the Heart Double Knit Hot Pad in yellow and white. It is so cool.

I took photos of it, but don't know how to upload them. They ask for a URL and they are not on a website. They were uploaded from my camera to my computer. Can anyone tell me how to show this adorable hot pad.

I love this website. It's the best!!!

Shandeh
07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
There is a link in my signature below on how to post photos. Let me know if you don't see it.

Welcome to the forum! :)

motherpink
07-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Hiya and welcome KH.

MsBehavin
07-02-2009, 03:05 AM
I love your avatar! :)

Hiya and welcome KH.

sooperpenguin
07-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Just found this fab site and popped in to say hi.

I live in the UK near Oxford. I'm a long-time knitter (30+ years....eek!) but I still learned new stuff here :cheering:

I'm disabled but can still knit most days although I have to use bamboo needles now cos the metal ones make my hands too sore.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

chrissieguest
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
hi i would just like to say thanks for your helpfull video section i lost my mum last November and although i had been shown how to knit because she was well such a brilliant knitter i never really bothered. I was looking through her yarns and needles and remembering her saying none of you have taken up my talent for knitting and just having a new baby grand daughter and another on her way i decided it was time i picked a simple little cardigan in double knit and i have silently wished i had taken more notice.i did a search for a part of the pattern i was stuck on as usually i would have run to my mum to sort it out and i found this site i quickly book marked it and returned a few times before joining just want to say i finished the little cardigan and am starting on my second one..it might not be as brilliant as mums but i am working on it..thanks to your help
:yay: :yay: :yay:

cherishedtiger
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone, wow what a great site! I am so very new to this and have SO many questions.
Last night I completed my first "cast on"!!! :woohoo:
only to look at it later and go well.... I think thats right...????
And needless to say thats as far as I got.
I am going off of books and the internet to teach me. Hoping to find someone near me that can maybe show me a little! :pout:
I have always wanted to learn how to knit and look forward to learning all there is to it!
Thanks for having such an awesome site where people like me can go for help! :happydance:
Thanks!!!

jay
07-03-2009, 05:49 AM
thanks amy im jay caayaman im a single mother my baby is 3months now

jay
07-03-2009, 06:01 AM
cud somebody help me with my baby who is needing clothes 3-6months

Shandeh
07-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the forum everyone! :hug:

......Last night I completed my first "cast on"!!! :woohoo:
only to look at it later and go well.... I think thats right...????
There are lots of free knitting videos here on our site to help you learn to knit. Just go to the top of this page, click "View Videos" and get started! It's how I learned. :thumbsup:

skittleknitter
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
oh my gosh this is a great site!:woohoo: im a teenage knitter and i dont really know any one who knits, so this really helps. all i can make right now is scarves and im making a change purse right now. ive never tried using patterns or doing any thing daring. i really hope this will get me started!!!!!

:heart: ~hearts~:heart:

:knitting: :rofl: :mrgreen: :woot: :)

suzie44
07-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I came across this site googling and I am so glad I did it's a fantastic site just what I am looking for.

My daughter is expecting and I haven't done any knitting or crocheting for many many years so I am very rusty.

Looking forward to getting to know you fab knitters :knitting: :yay:

spinstersis
07-05-2009, 07:21 AM
hi new today hope to enjoy many good days here. will be full of questions soon spinstersis

doroane
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
;) Hi there!

Thank you for the how-to for forum.

I'm currently trying to fix what happened when I had worked on my knitting while I was upset by more bad news from the dr.s about my husband's cancer fight. I dropped some stitches and it was down 4 or 5 rows before I noticed it.

Right now my husband is singing next to me; he sang to me for the first time on our first date. I'm praying that God will clean out the cancer from all of the different places it is in his body.

I thought I'd like to talk to someone about knitting, reading, and about my husband, if you don't mind.

Karen

yok2tog
07-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Hello all! I've been referring to the videos and whatnot on this website for awhile, but decided that I should join the community! :) My mom taught me the basics of knitting when I was a teen, and I've been teaching myself stuff ever since. I should learn a lot here!

I made my first piece of clothing this winter (a sleeveless sweater, I'll put it in the FO thread soon), not counting scarves, and a couple of toques. My first scarf was *huge.* I like 'em big so I can wrap them around my neck, over my head and around my neck again. I cast on enough stitches for a 12" wide sweater and finally stopped when it was 60" long - perfect. :) Okay, maybe a little too long...

For the past few months, I've been having friends who knit (or crochet) over once a week, and we're all really enjoying that! We call it the Itty Bitty Knitty Club. :teehee: I'm currently working on a Shipwreck shawl (a friend and I are doing it together) and it's going pretty well... might post a question about it later.

Take care everybody, and nice to meet you!

skysoldier
07-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Hello to all I hope I'm welcome herE! btw I'm jeff!:hug:

SimplySue
07-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello to Everyone,

I have just started knitting because a friend reminded me how relaxing it can be. She convinced me to engage my hands at night when I might eat instead. My grandmother tried to teach me about 35 years ago. A lot of it came back. I never had an interest until now. My mom knits also because of the encouragement of her friends where she lives. I've looked at books but seem to learn best from videos. I know this site will help. It would be fun to be able to do some elaborate patterns. They can be beautiful. :woot: Excited!

:knitting: Sue

bunny1103
07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
:p Thanks so much for this site!! I LOVE the videos...they are so much more benificial than the pics in "how-to" knitting books! Still trying to learn about all this posting though!:wink:

rochelleb
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Hello everyone. I am a reborn knitter. I have started up again knitting but now I am looking for new ways of doing things and also help on some projects that I want to do.

abiahheign
07-08-2009, 02:45 AM
HI to all the members of this awesome forum.
I am Abiah Heign from UK. I am new here, I am looking forward to enjoy this forum. I like knitting but don't know how to make my own. That's why I joined this forum, to get some ideas and also to share mine.
See you around.!:wink:

BDM
07-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Everyone - Several years ago I discovered this site and have been referring to it ever since as I LOVE the videos whenever I'm stuck. But I cannot find a video for this stitch... (p1, k1) into yarn over. Has anyone ever done this? I have been Googling for days trying to find a video that shows how to do this stitch but can't find one. I'm knitting a mesh top that has a 4 row repeat with this stitch on the purl side. A few of my knitting friends have shown me a few versions, but it's still not coming out right. Please help! Thank you.[/FONT]

Shandeh
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Be sure to go to our Forum home page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/)and browse the different parts of our forum. I think you'll find lots of discussion threads you'll want to join.

........I cannot find a video for this stitch... (p1, k1) into yarn over. Has anyone ever done this?
If you post this question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, you'll probably get lots of help! :thumbsup:

Janet71
07-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and knitting. Just learned to cast on and the knit stitch last night using the videos here on knittinghelp. :happydance:

OlofUna
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone :) Thank you so much for your site. It has been a great help since I started knitting.

silverspinner
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi all ... brand new to the forum... but have been knitting and crafting of many types for ages and ages. Found you while googleing for help and advise with drop spinning ... looks very interesting here .. so see you around the boards ...:thumbsup:

Spirit2009
07-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm Spirit2009- :happydance: :hug: just joined the group. I sure am glad I finally found a knitting group online. I see there are alot of people online who enjoy knitting like I do. I'm married, mother of 5. (3) in college and the others are right behind them. I've been homebound and disabled since 2007 due to back surgery, and most of my time is spent knitting and crocheting, along with reading, and doing crafts. Over the past year or so, my passion for knitting has become the only thing that keeps me focus during bouts of extreme pain. But, I really, really enjoy knitting and at this moment I'm finishing up my very first sleeveless pullover tank top. I'm very proud of myself. I was finally able to finish. I also have been knitting baby beanies and socks. I hope to have the chance to learn alot from you all. Thanks so much for creating this knitting club online. Knittinghelp.com is my best online source for alot of info. Take care everyone. I hope to chat with some of you soon!:knitting:

Raine
07-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Hi Amy, Never really bloged before. I love knitting and I am still in the learning stage. Question. Any exercises you can suggest? I have been having pain issue with my arm/shoulder area. I am seeing a chiropractor to help but I figured you may know some knitting exercise that may help me. I would hate to give up knitting.

Thanks

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

stjn316
07-11-2009, 07:54 AM

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Hi everyone,

My name is David. I am a 63 year old English man living in Sweden with my Swedish wife Maibritt. We are both knitters and she specialises in Norwegian knitting, but is not active at the moment. I knit most days for an hour or so and find it very enjoyable. I learned to knit from a book about 30 years ago, but my knitting has only really taken off in the last couple of years, since I have had more time due to being half time pensioner.

So far I have knitted mainly socks, ponchos and cardigans. I also enjoy crochet and recently crocheted a pair of slippers. I have already found Knitting Help a real blessing.

David - stjn316

Knitting_Guy
07-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is David. I am a 63 year old English man living in Sweden with my Swedish wife Maibritt. We are both knitters and she specialises in Norwegian knitting, but is not active at the moment. I knit most days for an hour or so and find it very enjoyable. I learned to knit from a book about 30 years ago, but my knitting has only really taken off in the last couple of years, since I have had more time due to being half time pensioner.

So far I have knitted mainly socks, ponchos and cardigans. I also enjoy crochet and recently crocheted a pair of slippers. I have already found Knitting Help a real blessing.

David - stjn316

Welcome to KH David! Glad to see another guy knitter here.

shar1989
07-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Hi There
My name is Sharon and I am brand new to this site. I love to knit and feel compelled to always have a project by my side. I am from Surrey BC I am sure I will meet some great people on here. Thanks
Sharon

shar1989
07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Just found this fab site and popped in to say hi.

I live in the UK near Oxford. I'm a long-time knitter (30+ years....eek!) but I still learned new stuff here :cheering:

I'm disabled but can still knit most days although I have to use bamboo needles now cos the metal ones make my hands too sore.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Hi There
I am a newcomer as well I have been knitting for many years off and on and love to do it. It was interesting to hear that the bamboo needles are better for your hands 'cause I have been having a problem with my hands and am panicking that I won't be able to keep knitting!
Sharon

Shandeh
07-13-2009, 01:51 AM

.....I have been having pain issue with my arm/shoulder area. I am seeing a chiropractor to help but I figured you may know some knitting exercise that may help me. I would hate to give up knitting....
I sometimes have pain also. It helps me to switch to different projects, instead of knitting just one thing at a time. Using different size needles and different yarns helps to exercise different muscles.

Also, sometimes I just have to take a break and do something else to let my hands and wrists and arms rest. Occasionally, my arthritis and tendonitis acts up so much that I have to take a day off from knitting. I usually look at knitting magazines on those days. :)

knittingupnorth
07-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I am new to this site (as of yesterday) and just wanted to say hello. When I started knitting a few years ago we lived in a town that had a wonderful knitting shop right in town. We have since moved and I have to drive at least an hour to find a knitting shop so I have been deprived of my knitting com padres in my old shop. I am so glad to have found this site in order to chat with those who understand the knitting addiction. :woohoo:
Bobbi, who is 'knitting up north', literally.

Moxie
07-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Ok, here I am with no idea what to do or what direction to take. All I know is that I need a hobby that I can do to calm my nerves, direct my energy into something positive, and see the results of my creativity. I am now unemployed(so what else is new) with very very limited funds, can't really go any where or do anything because I have no money, feel like I'm just existing and not living, on the edge of eviction from apt, and asking God to give me a clue as to next steps. I am hoping that knitting will fill in the gaps a bit. I was taught in the days of home economics which should give you some ideas as to my age. Yes, I am old school and proud of it. Frankly, I don't remember a thing. I mean absolutely nothing other than I enjoyed it. So, here I am needing something productive and creative I can do(other than volunteer my time which has become a mainstay in my life) to pass the time. I live in northern NJ. I hope I can find a group(feel free to send me suggestions) of very nice people that enjoy knitting/crocheting(spelling??) to teach me so that I can laugh more and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I have yarn and some needles. I thought I would start with a poncho or something simple or cap. Do I need a pattern? I don't even know how to cast on or hold the needles or anything yet. The salesperson at Micheals helped me. So what is next? I figure I will watch the videos.

knittingupnorth
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Moxie
I am new to the site as well. I did just want to chime in and say that I took up knitting while going through chemo a few years back and you picked just the right hobby to direct your energy, calm your nerves and in general save your sanity.
Happy knitting. PS, be sure that you pick an easy fun pattern and you will be knitting constantly in no time.

janicek
07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I just joined wanted to say hello to everyone

nemaent
07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I am old to knitting but new to this site. It is fantastic! Where have you guys been all my life? I've been lurking and just observing the last several days, and have learned a few new things -- and here I thought I knew everything (just ask my kids!). Love all the good advice!

Happy knitting!

Nikki8D
07-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi! I've been lurking for a few days, finally decided to say hi.

I'm a recent returnee to knitting, having learned a little (most of which I've forgotten) at school. It's fun and relaxing, and my daughter loves when I make her some shockingly pink knitted creation!

SamF81
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I just wanted to say hi! I have been using the videos here for a while but have only just noticed the forum! I am 27, i have 2 children - a son aged 8 and a daughter aged 3 and am currently 28wks pregnant. I have not been knitting very long, i'v done a couple of beanie hats and am part way thru a funky fur baby blanket and a baby tank top. I will no doubt ask lots of very silly questions due to inexperience and pregnancy brain lol!

Shandeh
07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Welcome to our wonderful Knitting Help Forum!
I think you will all like it here. :hug:

.......I thought I would start with a poncho or something simple or cap. Do I need a pattern? I don't even know how to cast on or hold the needles or anything yet.........
Welcome! Since you're new to knitting, you might want to start with a dishcloth. They are fast and easy, and you learn all kinds of different things when making them. And they make perfect gifts!

Start by watching the "How To Knit" videos here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

Then, you'll find lots of free dishcloth patterns here:
Dishcloth Boutique (http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html)

AntBee
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Just saying a quick hello and thank you for this wonderful site! It's been a godsend like you wouldn't believe!
Thanks again!

adam87
07-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Hey everyone! My names Adam and I have been knitting on and off for about a year, but I plan on getting way more involved in it. I have so far knitted a beautiful scarf using a regular knit stitch (garder stitch) and I use the continental method. I am really excited about learning how to purl and making all sorts of nice stuff, especially blankets and afghans. :yay:

chicsimple
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Hello,
I live in new city ny and recently came back to knitting. I am having trouble understanding a pattern. Is there any help out there for me.
Thanks appreciate any contact.

Shandeh
07-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Hello,
I live in new city ny and recently came back to knitting. I am having trouble understanding a pattern. Is there any help out there for me.
Thanks appreciate any contact.

Hello there!
You'll get lots of help if you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of our forum. Be sure to post a link to the pattern, so we'll know what you're asking about.

pinksugar
07-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been bouncing around here the last couple of days and I only just stumbled on this intro thread today!

My name is Rosie, I learnt to knit when I was young, but it's a hobby that I take up every now and then, rather than continuously.

At the moment I'm studying for my masters in Museum studies, and next monday I'm heading to Italy for a 6 month internship with an italian museum.

My current knitting project is a harry potter prizoner of azkaban scarf, and I originally stumbled on KH searching for info about flying with bamboo needles. I called my airline and wanted to pass on my new knowledge to other knitters travelling to or from Australia!

nice to meet you all, and see you on the boards!

wadcorbe
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi, another newbie here (to this forum and to knitting!). A couple of months ago I was watching Martha Stewart, and her show was on knitting. I was inspired to learn, and here I am today, 1 sweater, 1 dress, 1 scarf, 2 hats, and many swatches later! I have lots to learn, and many questions to ask - can't wait to get started! :thumbsup:

lestrella
07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Welcome everyone!
Pinksugar, I love your avatar! How do you make your eyes blink? That is so cool!

Shandeh
07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I think you'll like it here. :)

ptpopovich
07-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I am SO glad I found this site! My mother has been a knitter for years and my greatest reference source. I learned basics back in junior high school but lost interest. I started back up again this last year, mainly making scarves for friends and family. I found so many great patterns and designs that now I am moving to the next level. My first project is a soft and cozy shrug for a co-worker who is currently going through chemotherapy for cancer. I am making it in her favorite color (pink) and hope that whenever she puts it on she will feel as if she is getting a hug and some love. It is turning out very nicely and I can't wait to see the end results!
My mom is moving back to Florida so I am losing my biggest resource. I am one of those who learns best by watching or getting very detailed directions. Finding this site is SUCH a great relief!! I just watched the video on casting on with the continental stitch. I wish I had found this a year ago! (Mom uses a different method to cast on) Thank you so very much for this site. I have no doubt I will be coming here from now on. Knit on!!! :knitting:

pinksugar
07-25-2009, 09:21 AM
lestrella, you use a gif making program - basically 3 pictures of yourself, one with eyes open, one almost closed, and one closed, then the program just cycles through them so it looks like you're blinking :D

someone on another forum made this one for me, I think it's so cute!

wizards
07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Hello! I've been using the site for awhile to learn further from what my grandma taught me and I finally got around to joining the forums. I can already tell this will be very useful too!

GayleS
07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
I am new to this site and new to forums so I hope I do this right. I have been knitting since January and this looks like a great place to get some help. Thank you.

daniemom5
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
:woohoo: my girls and I really enjoy the site, when they, ages 20.12,and7, don't believe me we can come here and they can see what to do. thanks

celayaanna
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi there everyone.
I am a new member , a friend introduced me to this site.
I just started on my first sweater with a pattern that she gave me.
I'm a bit stuck on the KFB I will look it up and post some quetions on it I'm sure.
I'm glad I found this site!!!:woohoo

Shandeh
07-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm a bit stuck on the KFB I will look it up and post some quetions on it I'm sure.
Welcome to the forum! :hug:
KFB means to "knit front and back".
You'll knit in the front loop, then knit in the back loop before taking the stitch over to the other needle. This makes two stitches out of one.

Here's our video for KFB in the Continental method:
KFB - Continental (http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/91/1)

And here's our video for KFB in the English method:
KFB - English (http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/120/1)

GrannyIngrid
07-29-2009, 01:28 AM
I'M LOOKING FOR RED HEART BABY TERI YARN...LAVENDER, 1 SKEIN WOULD DO TO FINISH BABY SWEATER ...HELP PLEASE :knitting:

mandicita
07-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Just wanted to say a quick 'hi' and introduce myself.
I taught myself to knit (incorrectly, apparently) in October of 2008. (I can get the job done, though)
Currently, I am on a mission to knit as many purses-for felting later-to sell at local craft shows this fall. I've come to love knitting, and find that I cannot stand to sit and watch television without needles clicking away in my hands. I hope to never lose the love I have for the craft.
Glad to find this forum, seems very informative and friendly!

Picknitter
07-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Hiya. Finally thought I would register and see what the forums had to say. I have visited this site MANY, MANY times for help when I'm not around my Chicks with Sticks. Currently working on the Oh La Lace Stole which is my first lace project. Just started the Fantasy Naturale baby sweater for something easy when my mind needs a break from the lace. Looking forward to getting to know ya'll better.

~~ Pick:knitting:

Belinda44
07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Hello my name is Belinda, and it is so good to find this site.
I have been knitting on and off for years, but do still get confused
by some patterns, especially the ws/rs meanings.

I look foreward to chatting with you and reading the posts on the forum.

Hope you all have a good evening.

LauriSATX
07-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi! My name is Lauri and I am very new to knitting. I had tried for a couple of years to learn how to knit and it just wouldn't work. Then about 6 weeks ago I just decided to sit down and not get up until I had taught myself how to knit...and it worked! So I basically just knit a rectangle...used the whole ball of yarn. Now I'm working on a dishcloth and should finish that up in the next day or so.

I also love to sew and do all kinds of arts and crafts in general. I'm married and have 3 kids, 2 dogs and 4 cats. And, I'm one of those SAHMs, who never really is home! lol!

kreweel
08-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi, I am stuck and hope someone can help. I am knitting a pattern that has in it, (yfwd) twice. I get that part, but am confused about what to do on the next row, which is the wrong side, and it is a purl row. Hope this makes sense and someone can help me, ready to take off the needles and search for a new pattern.

Thanks,
Lee Werk
lfwerk@yahoo.com:knitting: :knitting:

Ingrid
08-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi, I am stuck and hope someone can help. I am knitting a pattern that has in it, (yfwd) twice. I get that part, but am confused about what to do on the next row, which is the wrong side, and it is a purl row. Hope this makes sense and someone can help me, ready to take off the needles and search for a new pattern.

Thanks,
Lee Werk
lfwerk@yahoo.com:knitting: :knitting:

Welcome! Questions get more attention when placed in the How-to section, but I'll get this one here. What you do with the double yo depends on what it's purpose is in the pattern. If you have a large eyelet in the pattern, the WS row will usually tell you to drop one of the yo's, and you'd purl into the one that's left.

If you have to work both of the yo's, then your best bet is to purl one and knit one on the WS row.

Dari
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi! My name is Rachel (but you can call me Dari... it rhymes with starry :) ) and I'm new to the forums. I've been knitting since January, but so far I'm too much of a wuss to try anything more complicated than garter stitch (it's scary to go outside your comfort zone!!), so I make a lot of scarves. Luckily they make really great gifts, so I'm not just making them for nothing! I look forward to making new friends and finally getting over my fear of more "complicated" knitting here :)

antwerpnative
08-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Hello, I just joined and am looking forward to participating and getting to know all of you.
My name is Betty, I live in an active adult community in Sun City West, AZ (Phoenix area) with my husband. I have 2 adult sons and love my life.
Besides knitting, I love to crochet, needlepoint, read, travel, cook, and get together with friends & family for intimate dinner parties.
After I retired several years ago, I started knitting again and have knit mostly scarves, afghans and am knitting my first pair of socks. One sock on 2 circ needles. Love this technique.
Happy Knitting,
antwerpnative

smallknitter
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi!
My name is Samantha. I'm twelve years old. I began knitting two weeks ago. I am currently learning to knit from a friend here in Houston, Texas. I have knit a misshapen dishcloth, a bracelet, and am currently working on a headband/belt. I look forward to expanding my knowledge with all of your help.

Dolly
08-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I want to say Hi to everyone I am a beginner knitter at 73 yrs. old. I do not drive so I spend a lot of time at home so I am making a goal to be able to knit projects to keep busy. I can knit, purl and bind. I am knitting a simple hat with stripes for my grandson. It's going ok but i made mistakes so it's not perfect.

I do have a question...When I have to knit 2 stitches together the stitches are so tight that I can barely knit them and get them off the left needle onto the right needle. Is it me? or is there a easier way? If someone can help I would be so grateful.

Shandeh
08-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone! :muah:

......I do have a question...When I have to knit 2 stitches together the stitches are so tight that I can barely knit them and get them off the left needle onto the right needle. Is it me? or is there a easier way? If someone can help I would be so grateful.
Hi Dolly,
If you post your questions in the "How To" section, you'll get more answers than just mine. Since you're a beginning knitter, you might be knitting very tightly. I know I did when I first started. This made it almost impossible for me to knit 2 together. Now, I relax my yarn a bit, and that stitch is not so difficult.

dianewilliams1946
08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
What a fabulous site. I just found it through yahoo babysweaters. I have knitted for many years and consider myself a novice with a lot to learn, I just started again about 2 yrs ago when I became a grandma to a beautiful baby girl, so I knit for her and for the children I take care of. Knitting keeps me sane and brings peace to my soul. I know I will be using this site a lot. Thanks for allowing me to join. Diane

BevStayart
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and happy to have discovered such a great place. As many of you, I learned to knit as a teenager and have enjoyed knitting my entire life. I look forward to making new friends on this forum.

ellenwatson
08-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Hi my name is Ellen
I live in Dundee Scotland . I am married have two children and love to knit. I would love to be able to make knitting my business but sadly not sure how to go about this. I do knitting for some designers here in the uk. but not enough money= to make it worthwhile at the mment anybody any ideas how to make this work for me.

Speak soon
Ellen

AZTINKER
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a lot of new things in my life - Newly retired :woohoo: - new to knitting :knitting: and new to this site:) ! Guess what I have learned that I like ALL three things! I have finished two projects - some fingerless mittens and a shoulderette/shrug.

I am looking forward to learning to use cirdular needles to make socks soon! I love to chat with folks too! Thanks for the welcome!

I am aztinker on ravelry.com too!

JeanAnne
08-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi everybody!
I just joined tonight. I found you while looking for info on knit stitches on the internet. I checked out this forum and I thought that I'd like to join, so here I am.

I live in the USA in the great state of Georgia. I live with my doggy Little Bit. I crochet and I knit. My specialty is granny afghans. In knitting I knit caps and scarves and once I knit a V stitch afghan. I'd like to learn how to make other things like legwarmers for example or two needle socks (don't like double pointed needles). I'd also like to learn how to design my own garments and to make cables without a cable needle.

heidig
08-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Hello. I am a Norwegian knitter and crafter. I am new in the forums, but the knittinghelp site is not new to me, I have used it a LOT for help on knitting issues :heart: and we are linking to the videos all the time from our free pattern blog, pickles (http://www.pickles.no)

Heidi

zookeeper8
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
So glad I found this site!! I generally consider myself an advanced knitter, having learned at age six and knitted all my life. I learned crochet from an eminently patient collegue while in Nursing School inthe 70's. Recently I have become bored with the usual patterns, cables, charts, etc, but have a pattern for slippers from CocoKnits that calls for 2 circular needles and I just can't seem to get the hang of it! all other tutorials show it used for small areas, however this pattern calls for you to pick up 50 stitches on each side. Am I the only one who finds this method confusing?? I don't want to give up so any help anyone can give is appreciated! Will work on other projects in meantime! I am sure most of you , like me always have several projects going at a time. I never leave the house without my knitting bag! appreciate any help and glad to be a member of this wonderful forum!!

MissRandom
08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm MissRandom! I hope I'm doing this right am I?

blueygh2
08-09-2009, 08:37 PM
You're doing it right! Welcome abord!

Shandeh
08-09-2009, 09:10 PM

.......I'd like to learn how to make other things like legwarmers for example or two needle socks (don't like double pointed needles). I'd also like to learn how to design my own garments and to make cables without a cable needle.
If you don't like double-pointed needles, you might want to look for instructions on doing the "magic loop" method, or "two circulars". Good luck!

.........have a pattern for slippers from CocoKnits that calls for 2 circular needles and I just can't seem to get the hang of it! all other tutorials show it used for small areas, however this pattern calls for you to pick up 50 stitches on each side...
You'll get lots more help if you post this question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum.

AlexisB
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Hello, fellow knitters. I'm Alexis, and I I look forward to being on this site to get helpful tips from other experts on new stitches, ideas for projects, and a fellowship of friends. Thankyou everyone for making me feel so welcome! If anyone has ideas for projects, please tell me so I can try them out!:cool:

dawn2knit
08-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I just found your site, and I look forward to coming back often! My grandmother taught me how to knit many years ago, and I hope to pass the skill on to my granddaughters. I started a "journal" a couple of years ago with pictures of my finished projects together with all pertient information -- a copy of the pattern, the needle size, special notes, etc. It's proven to be a very helpful reference and a nice reminder of projects completed. I have added knittinghelp.com to my Favorites so that it will be easy to come back to!

littlebit
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Hello Everyone

My name is littlebit. I just joined your group, and am looking forward
to making new friends as well as getting help with knitting problems.

metanisbet
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm happy to be here. I own a yarn shop in Western Massachusetts in which I teach many novice and beginning knitters. At the end of the very first session with all the new knitters I recommend they go to Knittinghelp.com to remind themselves of the basics I've just taught. These are the easiest training videos available, and since I teach exactly what she demonstrates and the way she demonstrates, it is a great way for the new knitters to refresh what they learned at my lesson.

I hope it will always be there so I can direct my students and customers to the help they need.

Shandeh
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone! :muah:

Hello, fellow knitters. I'm Alexis.........If anyone has ideas for projects, please tell me so I can try them out!:cool:
Hi Alexis! If you click the "Patterns" button at the top of this page, you'll see some fun projects there. Also, I have a link to some beginner patterns in my signature below. Good luck with your knitting!

........I started a "journal" a couple of years ago with pictures of my finished projects together with all pertient information -- a copy of the pattern, the needle size, special notes, etc......
There is another website you would also enjoy for your knitting reference. It's called "Ravelry". Here's a link: www.ravelry.com (http://www.ravelry.com)
Just go to that website, and get your registration started (it's all free), and they will send you an invitation to participate. I keep all my yarn, needles, hooks and projects referenced there, and it's so nice!

.....looking forward to making new friends as well as getting help with knitting problems.
Be sure to check out our "Knitters Knear You" section to find people in your area, and read through our "How To" section for help with knitting problems.

........I own a yarn shop in Western Massachusetts........At the end of the very first session with all the new knitters I recommend they go to Knittinghelp.com
Thanks for recommending our site! I feel the same way as you - I hope it's here FOREVER! :hug:

athanasia01
08-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I am teaching myself to knit and just learning by youtube.I am so thrilled I found this site. I am knitting a scarf and ran out of yarn and sat at my computer for 2 hours trying to figure out how to join the yarn together! I watched the video here and did it in less than a minute! Thank you so much it was awesome and so simple. I cannot wait to look at the other video's and get pointers from everyone here.
Athanasia:inlove:

mollybja
08-13-2009, 11:48 PM
I am Val, my mother is Mollybja. We are new to knitting, well my mom knows the stitches but has never really done anything. I found this site and think it would really help her as she has quite a few questions. She is very determine to get this knitting thing right and has been up at nights trying to solve her problems. I am very happy to be here and hope I can get some help for my mom.

WiggySA
08-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi All. Love the site!!!! I am an enthusiastic South African knitter. Have 5 grandchildren who keep my hands busy.:knitting:

Alienor
08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi, I'm Alienor from Germany, learned how to knit, to crochet and to spin from my Grandma about 40yrs ago.
There were long periods without doing anything but I came back to all of them in the last 3 yrs during a severe illness.
Now I'm fully recovered and I'm trying my hands at spinning some lace yarn on a Spindolyn for a lace shawl.
In the meantime I'm knitting socks with purchased sock yarns.

Shandeh
08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
I hope you all enjoy yourselves in our wonderful KH Forum. :)

antique
08-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi, I am wondering if the knob on the left of my spinning wheel on my profile picture has anything to do with tension adjustment or is it just decoration? It slightly twists, but I can't imagine it is connected to anything.

Fonda
08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for making me feel so welcomed! I can use all the help I can get as I have joined the Prayer Shawl group at our church and am a first time knitter. We knit shawls for those who are in a situation and would like to feel someone is thinking about them and praying for their health and comfort.
I absolutely love your videos....fantastic. I am ready to place my order to Knitpicks for those needles I see on your web site.
Thanks again for all your help.

togethermake3
08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey everyone, I'm not a new knitter but I'm not by any means an experienced knitter since, frankly, I've only ever knitted a couple of basic scarves and dishcloths. I'm branching out though and have decided to try my hand at a few other things. This site was a blessing when I found it last night the video's are awesome :woohoo:

Thanks so much I look forward to coming here more often :muah:

Bonnie

PeggyH
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I took a little class at our library this summer and am now knitting a scarf! So exciting. Our local yarn shop owner told me about this website. I'm looking forward to checking out the videos and forum topics. Peggy in Indiana

Shandeh
08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi, I am wondering if the knob on the left of my spinning wheel on my profile picture has anything to do with tension adjustment or is it just decoration? It slightly twists, but I can't imagine it is connected to anything.
I'm going to copy your post to the "Spinning" section of our forum, so you'll get some answers. Good luck with your wheel!

dorismcl
08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Hello to all knitters: I am not new to knitting etc. but I am to computer skills. Have been knitting since my Mother showed me how to hold the needles or hooks. I used to knit the "necessaries for my children & grandchildren. Now I knit when I see some new wool that I can't resist or a pattern that fascinates me. Then I decide who will get it for Christmas. Also do charity and volunteer activities using my needle skills. I will start watch this site for new ideas.
:knitting: :thumbsup:

doridon
08-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to knitting after a hiatus of MANY years due to a bad experience with a project as a 4-H member. I love this site already and look forward to all of your help and experience.

OffJumpsJack
08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
:waving: KH is a great site. Welcome to the forum.

:cheering: Need help with needle size for ribbing. What a wonderful site! The forums are so helpful. Am just learning to knit and of all things I want to try a sweater. Instructions call for 7 and 11 size needles. The front is worked in three pieces. Instructions say to work side panels with smaller needles. Center panel is worked using larger needles. The instructions say to do ribbing with smaller needles for back, but does not say to change to larger needles. If instructions do not say to change to larger needle, should I continue ribbing with smaller needles after casting on for back? In my knitting books it says to do ribbing on smaller needles?

I've just discovered this site and am looking forward to interaction with other knitters. I've knitted on and off for more than 40 years nowand have lately become addicted to knitting socks and Maggie Jackson designs. I love working with bamboo yarn and am constantly on the lookout for it-it's still a little scarce in the yarn shops here in Wisconsin.

I recently came across a pattern which calls for a french cast on. Can't find instructions for it in any of my many reference books-anyone help?

stacjer and elanger, There are several sections to this forum. The How to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=23) section would be the best place to post your questions. A moderator may be by soon to copy your questions over there. I included a link (above) to the section so you can search for help there if you like.

CraftyDad
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey all,

Just picked up the pointy sticks again. It's been over a year since I tried to learn to knit. I've been crocheting for many years (not a pro or anything, but....I can handle a hook). It seems very awkward to go from a single hook to two needles. Geez...must just be me...but it's been tough to get the hang of it.

Amy's videos are great! :cheering: They have helped me a lot and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'm going to knit myself a simple scarf for this winter as my first project.

I'll keep you posted!:wink:

--mike

ArtLady1981
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Welcome, Mike! Nice to have you here with us! :hug:

Keep us posted about your scarf! The WHATCHA KNITTING forum will be looking for your progress! I love scarves! They are kind of addicting! Now I want a different scarf for every coat! Oy! If you need any help...feel free to post your questions in our HOW TO forum! People are very responsive! You'll get so much help you might be sorry you asked! Just kidding! :teehee:

Once you've got the two sticks comfortably mastered, you'll never go back to one stick! Happy Knitting!

Mommie2myboys
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi, I'm a SAHM of two, both boys, ages 3 & 1. I tried to teach my self to knit for a couple of years, but I didn't learn much. I took a class earlier this year and I love it. I used to crochet as a child, so I am also re-aquainting my self with that , and I'm learning to sew as well. Since learning to knit I have made two prayer shawls, a baby blanket, a hat, and booties, and right now I'm working on another baby blanket, and finishing a purse. I want to learn to make a sweater, but I must admit to being intimidated by that. I look froward to getting to others with similar interests.:)

mgdappen
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
:aww:

so i've taken a couple of knitting classes at the local michaels store (about 4 years ago??) and have made a shawl, i dunno how many scarves, and some felted purses....all pretty simple. but i've been collecting all of these great knitting patterns. i'm easily intimidated maybe since i'm still just collecting these patterns.

my current project is a baby blanket (found the pattern on www.debbiemacomber.com) and after knitting the first 12 rows i'm sort of stuck. the instructions say to "place a marker" before the last 18 stitches for four consecutive rows, then the next four consecutive rows i''m supposed to "slip the marker". is this different terminology for doing the same thing? definitions i've found in books and online indicate that it is.

i love knitting and i really want to finish this project........:knitting:

OffJumpsJack
08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
:aww:

so i've taken a couple of knitting classes at the local michaels store (about 4 years ago??) and have made a shawl, i dunno how many scarves, and some felted purses....all pretty simple. but i've been collecting all of these great knitting patterns. i'm easily intimidated maybe since i'm still just collecting these patterns.

my current project is a baby blanket (found the pattern on www.debbiemacomber.com) and after knitting the first 12 rows i'm sort of stuck. the instructions say to "place a marker" before the last 18 stitches for four consecutive rows, then the next four consecutive rows i''m supposed to "slip the marker". is this different terminology for doing the same thing? definitions i've found in books and online indicate that it is.

i love knitting and i really want to finish this project........:knitting:

Welcome to KnittingHelp! :)

I posted an answer to your question (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93624) over on the How to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=23) section. Over there it will get more attention and comments than it would here.

:waving:

CraftyDad
08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Katie! I'll keep you posted on the progress of scarf. Now....where did I put those needles?

BTW: i think i'm going to use 10 or 10.5 needles for worsted weight wool yarn. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Mike

beej13
08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
hi everyone im just new to this site-- 10 minutes new. and i already have learned how to make a great button hole. i didnt realize i knew so little about knitting. i have been knitting for years. i have a feeling this is going to be great fun. bonnie

ArtLady1981
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Bonnie!

I know exactly what you mean! I had been knitting for positively centuries...and didn't realize how much I didn't know either! Now, as I look back, I am embarrassed by some of my knitting! Especially the seams! Oy!

Anyway, we are so happy you are here with our Knitting Family! :grphug:

Keep us posted about what you're knitting!

glassjules
08-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi, I'm new here! I'm an intermediate crocheter just learning to knit, too. I'm only knitting and purling at this point. :)

I am working on the Five Rectangle Baby Sweater right now.

Glad this is here, I'm glassjules on ravelry, also.

Mormor
08-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this web site. I'm an avid knitter but have come to a snag. Can't for the life of me figure out a part on a Debbie Bliss pattern. Where do I post it and maybe someone out there can help me?

dustinac
08-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi and Welcome to KH everyone :woot:

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this web site. I'm an avid knitter but have come to a snag. Can't for the life of me figure out a part on a Debbie Bliss pattern. Where do I post it and maybe someone out there can help me?

Hi Mormor, you can post in the Pattern forum (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)if you have a question about a certain pattern. Be sure to include the name of the pattern, link if there is one, or book it is found in...so they can search around for ya if need be :thumbsup:

jamdogg
08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I am returning to the great sport of knitting after many years of absence, and this site and forum looks just chock-full of great knowledge. The last time I picked up the knitting needles, there was no such thing as "The Internets", so I'm thrilled to have some extra help in getting started again. I've never been the avid knitter, but just clackin' the needles for a while is relaxing and fun!

etoilechaude
08-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Howdy all!! I just decided to take up knitting 2 weeks ago... thought it would be a great hobby since I don't work for the month of August (the joys of being a dance teacher!). My grandfather had just started to knit before he passed away, and from what I understand we are VERY similar.

I've already figured out knit, purl, increase, decrease, elongated stitch, cast on and bind off... it feels great to know all of that after just two weeks! I currently have 3 scarves on needles and I'm completely obsessed ;)

My ultimate goal (for now) is a cute sweater pattern I found on knitty.com. Men's wool knit sweaters are so pricey that I'd much rather know that the $$ I put into it also came with my own creativity!

Sorry for the rambling, but thank you for such an amazing resource!

genstitch
08-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you, Amy! I've been to this site SEVERAL times to view videos and I'm excited about joining this forum.

Thanks for making this possible!!

~s

toomanykids7
08-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Hello I am new to knitting about a year! This website is fantastic!! But I need some help with intarsia knitting. Could someone please tell me if you read the pattern right to left or left to right or both this is very confusing to me. Thanks so much.

Shandeh
08-23-2009, 08:13 PM

........i think i'm going to use 10 or 10.5 needles for worsted weight wool yarn. Does that sound right?
Hi Mike, Yes, size 10 needles will work fine with worsted weight yarn. If you are a loose knitter, you might want to switch to size 8 or 9. Just try it out and see what looks best. Good luck!

Hello I am new to knitting about a year! This website is fantastic!! But I need some help with intarsia knitting. Could someone please tell me if you read the pattern right to left or left to right or both this is very confusing to me. Thanks so much.
Hello there!
It sounds like you are using a chart for the intarsia portion.

Your chart will have rows of symbols for the section you're working on. Just start on the bottom row, and read the symbols from right to left. Then, go up to the next row, and read the symbols left to right. Keep going back and forth this way as you go up the chart. Soon, your knitting will match what you see on the chart, and it will get easier.

If your knitting is done with stockinette stitch, be sure the knit the rows on the right side, and purl the rows on the wrong side.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

littleragdoll
08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Mary Ann and I have been knitting since I was in junior high which is approximately 35 years. Wow, that's...a long time I guess. Ha,ha. I'll be sure to come when ever I need help or a knitting fix.:)

papahassan17
08-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Hello guys :) I am a newbie here...
I hope to share a lot with you and to know more things from all of you
I really want to wear knitted clothing ..when i was a child my mom gave me three knitted hats of different colors and designs :heart:
Until now those knitted hats are still in my closet :D

Because of my mom i was able to discover important things about knitting and i am really excited to share all of those things with you guys :cheering:

rainbowskye
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
hi im new to the forum but not to knitting!! love to make toys just started on alan dart after discovering him as a designer like jean greenhowe, anyway hello to all

jimhim
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
hello to all,

My name is James, I am a newbie, and new to knitting , when i was a kid I used to watch my aunty knitting in the corner for hours on end.

now I have decided to take it up. I have been knitting the past week well , if you call it knitting with knots and holes more than i can count , i would also like to know if there are many men at this as i would like to here form them , just to place my mind at rest

Also i would like to know for starting off what is the best size knitting needles to use. i have 7MM,5MM,2.5MM,and 5MM circular knitting pin and a set of sock knit pins ( if anyone can tell me what these are for? i would be great full)
and finally a crochet hook 5MM

Many thanks

James Carpenter

Taylor
08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello, everyone!
I would like to say first of all, my Grandmother Carrie Taylor introduced me to crocheting at a young age. I learned basic granny squares. I didn't do much with it, even though I really enjoyed it. She never got the opportunity to show me how to knit. After watching a few of the videos, I was attracted. I am anxious to purchase some knitting needles to give it a try.:happydance: Is there anything I need to know about them, before I buy them?
Looking forward to any replies. Thanks.

Taylor (this is my maiden name)

Rorshach
08-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Hello to all, both new and old friends. After a long hiatus, I've picked up my needles again and started to knit once again. Don't know really why I stopped, but it doesn't really make too much of a difference now. Anyway, I'm back and I'll be posting more often.

Aaron

jimhim
08-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Hello to all, both new and old friends. After a long hiatus, I've picked up my needles again and started to knit once again. Don't know really why I stopped, but it doesn't really make too much of a difference now. Anyway, I'm back and I'll be posting more often.

Aaron

hi there Aaron , you have just made my day!!!!:yay: :) :woot:
I am glad to see that i am not the only guy on her (knitting) when I told my five brothers that I was taking it up they just laughed at me! but the joke will be on them as two of them are expecting in 9 months or so . well you know what i mean

well talk to you later
james:thumbsup:

gracielynn
08-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Hello,

MY name is Lisa.. I go by Gracielynn tho..
I love knitting .. I just completed my first ever SOCK last evening .
love it :hug:

I say completed . but I didn't do the grafting.. I think you call it.
on the toe ? I was messy with that.

so will ck your site for info about getting that straight .

Thanks ..
lisa ( gracielynn)

Rorshach
08-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, James, I know how that goes, my family did the same thing, until I had knitted a few things for them, now they constantly pester me about new stuff they want. Though if they give you a lot of graft, then point out that Rosey Grier did quite a bit of needlework.

MeezieMom
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I can't remember when or how I discovered KnittingHelp, but I love it and recommend it to anyone who could learn more about knitting. (Isn't that everyone???)

I also recommend buying the CD-ROM. Cheap at twice the price. Loads faster and you always have it available, internet access or no.

I haven't signed up for the forum before, so hang on and here we go!

MeezieMom