PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30

KYknitwit
08-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I am so glad i found this site and all you wonderful people!
Can't wait to learn some new things.
Thank you.
Angi

OffJumpsJack
08-27-2009, 04:27 PM
hello to all,

My name is James, I am a newbie, and new to knitting , when i was a kid I used to watch my aunty knitting in the corner for hours on end.

now I have decided to take it up. I have been knitting the past week well , if you call it knitting with knots and holes more than i can count , i would also like to know if there are many men at this as i would like to here form them , just to place my mind at rest

Also i would like to know for starting off what is the best size knitting needles to use. i have 7MM,5MM,2.5MM,and 5MM circular knitting pin and a set of sock knit pins ( if anyone can tell me what these are for? i would be great full)
and finally a crochet hook 5MM

Many thanks

James Carpenter

James, sock knit pin? (adjusting for Commonwealth English to US English) I'd guess they are a set of 4 or 5 double pointed needles or DPNs as often abbreviated here.

I'm Jack (or John) and there are a few fellow male knitters here. Not long ago a thread was started, Any mem knitters out there (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92346&highlight=male+knitters). If you visit there you'll see your not alone.

Some of us men also crochet. Sometimes the bigger question is how many knitters or crocheter practice the craft in public.

Welcome to KnittingHelp (KH) and have a look about the forum. You'll find it is organized into a few sections with self explaining titles.

Good luck with your brothers. I guess you can't just knock some sense into 'em?

Caroljean
08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I just found this website yesterday and can't wait to share it with the knitting group I go to at the Library in Clovis, California on Tuesdays. We range in age from 20's to 94 (!) and are at every level from beginner to expert. I am somewhat more than a novice, but taught myself from a book years ago and have just recently started again.

The videos are absolutely fabulous!!! :woot:

knit4peace
08-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Im Natalie... Im new at knitting and the site... I came across it while looking for ways to cast off! I got it down until it comes to tieing it and cutting... i dont think im doing that right!

Shandeh
08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the wonderful KH Forum, everyone!
:muah:

.........i would also like to know if there are many men at this as i would like to here form them , just to place my mind at rest
Hi James! :waving:
As you can see, there are several male knitters in our forum. In fact, one of our moderators is a man! Welcome.

Hello to all, both new and old friends.
Welcome back, Aaron! :hug:

I love knitting .. I just completed my first ever SOCK last evening . I say completed . but I didn't do the grafting.. I think you call it......
Hi Lisa! :)
The toe grafting is called "kitchener stitch"
You can see several websites about how to do it here:
Kitchener Stitch Websites (http://www.google.com/search?q=kitchener+stitch&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1)

Im Natalie... Im new at knitting and the site... I came across it while looking for ways to cast off! I got it down until it comes to tieing it and cutting... i dont think im doing that right!
When you finish binding off all the stitches, leave a long tail of yarn and cut it. Then just pull the tail to tighten it, and weave in the long tail through the back of your work with a yarn needle. Good luck!
You'll see an illustrated guide here on this webpage. Just scroll down the page to see "Binding Off (http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3)".

knit4peace
08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
thank you!!!!!!

Rorshach
08-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome back, Shandeh. I'm just about finished with a sweater I've been working with on and off over the last year or so, when I'm done I'll be posting pics of it.

penn
08-28-2009, 05:22 AM
hi just found this forum I have a brother 950 machine i've never got to grips with so hope this can help rekindle interest. I have other machines and love to knit and am now retired so have more time. Thanks for a very interesting and informative forum.
penn

anneshaw
08-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Just found your site as I searched for help in doing the Pebble Pattern. A beginner for the most part, I am away from my helpful knitting group and instructor. Started knitting because of granddaughter's interest. My passions are God's Word, my husband and family, sewing, and now am beginning to have a knitting passion.

Live in beautiful East Tennessee mostly, but some time in FL. I try to play golf!!!!!!!!

daniaguirre
08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I love this site! I am a new knitter. I have two young girls and needed a relaxing hobby. Little did I know that when I started knitting, it would become something I absolutely love and feel was meant to do. The accomplishment of creating something gives me new found joy! So far I have completed a few crooked scarves and little odds and ends that to the delight of my little girls, have become capes,blankets etc for their Barbies! I look forward to learning more and appreciate this site! Thanks! Danielle :)

ArtLady1981
08-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Welcome to our Knitting Family to all of our new members! :hug:

You'll love it here! :grphug:

We look forward to seeing your projects in our WHATCHA KNITTING forum! And, please feel free to ask for help on any projects in our HOW TO forum! We have so many helpful members who jump right on it!

Barbie
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
I am going to be a new grandmother. I only know how to knit and purl. I have made the diagonal dishcloths but wanted to make small wash cloths for the baby. Maybe only 6" or so. Can anyone recommend a straight pattern and the right yarn? Thank you.
Barbie

RoseTaylor
09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
HI~my name is Rose Taylor and I am a beginning knitter. I have learned how to knit continenal stitches~purl and knit. I hope to make a sweater in the future. Rose

guitarpena
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi, my name is John. I'm 48 years old and have been crocheting for about 18 years. I speciallize in baby afgans for my children and grandchildren. I'm new to knitting and already have been doing the purl stich, knitt stich, and binding, and cable stich patterns. I would like to ask, if its normal for the first and last row to be so loose when your knittin?

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy[/QUOTE]

theresep
09-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Help! I am very new to knitting and I am making baby booties (Mary Jane style) I am stuck at rejoin yarn where you started binding off 21 stitches. I get that part, then Cast on 12 stitches using cable cast-on method. I understand cable cast on method,
but how do I start this and what does it connect to?

sissyv
09-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi I'm new to this site and I have lots of questions. I learned the basics of knitting from my grandma and a book. I knit blankets and dishcloths but now I want to venture out into sweaters and become an intermediate knitter instead of a beginner. Thanks for making this site free! I have a weakness for buying yarn and I dont like to spend to ask questions! I will post my questions on a forum
Thanks
Sissyv

Shandeh
09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Welcome everyone, to our wonderful KH Forum! :muah:

Thanks for the welcome back, Shandeh. I'm just about finished with a sweater I've been working with on and off over the last year or so, when I'm done I'll be posting pics of it.
Looking forward to seeing those photos! :)

........wanted to make small wash cloths for the baby. Maybe only 6" or so. Can anyone recommend a straight pattern and the right yarn? Thank you.
Hi Barbie!
Here are some baby wash cloth patterns for you:
Baby Wash Cloths (http://knittingheavenonearth.blogspot.com/2007/02/baby-wash-cloths.html)
Buttercup Baby Cloth (http://www.iliveonafarm.com/buttercup_washcloth2.html) #2
Buttercup Baby Cloth #1 (http://www.iliveonafarm.com/buttercup_washcloth1.html)
How To Knit a Baby Washcloth (http://www.ehow.com/how_14823_knit-washcloth-baby.html)

Hi, my name is John........I would like to ask, if its normal for the first and last row to be so loose when your knittin?
Hi John!
Most of us have a problem with those rows being too TIGHT. It's interesting that yours are too loose. Just keep practicing, and you'll get better at making those rows look more consistent with the rest of your knitted item. Just pull the yarn a bit tighter as you cast on and bind off.

Help! I am very new to knitting and I am making baby booties (Mary Jane style) I am stuck at rejoin yarn where you started binding off 21 stitches. I get that part, then Cast on 12 stitches using cable cast-on method. I understand cable cast on method, but how do I start this and what does it connect to?
Hello! I'm going to copy your question to the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, so you'll get some help. You also should post a link to the pattern there, so others can know how to help you better.

Kellymike
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi there,

My name is Kelly and I'm a new knitter... again! I tried to learn a very long time ago and I finished half a sweater, LOL. Wonder what ever happened to that? I remember it was red...

Anyway after all this time, here I am again. Once I get the basics back, I want to make a stretchy knitted shopping bag. Any good pattern suggestions?

Thanks!

MaryTales
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Greetings from Northeast Tennessee! I just registered and would like to introduce myself.

Although I have knitted for years, I've never attempted socks or cable knits until now. I'm looking forward to the support of an on-line group.

LauraB2009
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi to all!
My name is Laura and I have been doing crafts for about 11 years (knitting and crocheting) now. I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys all under the age of 9 years old. I am also married to a wonderful man of 8 years (9 on St. Patty's Day).
At this point in my life I am expecting my final child and it just so happens that it is a girl. I am so excited to see her. I have 3 months to go and I am looking into making breastfeeding covers to give to friends and other people. I am going to also make one for me. I am hoping to come up with a pattern on my own for this but I know that it will take lots of time to do. If anyone has any tips on creating patterns I am all ears.:knitting: :grphug:

auntyem
09-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi, everyone.
I am not new to knitting or crocheting, having taught myself both when I was in my 20's. I am now over 50. I am also not new to KH. However, I am new to posting. I joined this site a few years ago because it is such an awesome site. But I was hesitant about posting because I was afraid I wouldn't have much to contribute. I did not have a digital camera, and still don't know how to upload pics because I would rather be knitting than to learn how. But the time has come for me to make myself known. I am so thankful for Sheldon and Amy and all the moderators for keeping this going. Now that I have broken the ice, I hope to actually log on more often.

Outsy
09-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

I am knitting socks and have finished the ribbing. I have divided the stitches as the pattern says, then I have to do 2 1/2 inches on Heel sts. The first row, says: (Wrong Side): Purl and the 2nd row says S1 1,K1: rep to end of row. I am confused with (Wrong Side): Purl can anyone help me.
Thanks, I am a new Knitter

luv2knitncrochet
09-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi! I am new to this site. Someone on Ravelry.com recommended this site for knitting help. I am impressed! Your videos are excellent and very helpful. I consider myself an "I'll fake my way through it" intermediate knitter. I have several knitting books for how-to references. But, no matter how many books you have, they don't cover everything. I am looking forward to using the helpful information I have already picked up on this site. Thanks!

Sheryl:knitting:

NKN
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and this is a bit daunting but I'm so excited! I just started knitting about a year a go so I guess I'm a beginner.
Looking forward to the resources on this site!
thanks

nk.
:)

albertpollard
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
10s will work fine...You may find it will make a 'looser' stitch. Give it a try and see what comes out.

Shandeh
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Welcome, new KH Forum members! I hope you like it here.
:heart: :hug: :heart:

.........My name is Kelly and I'm a new knitter... again! Any good pattern suggestions?
Hi Kelly! There is a link in my signature below with good beginner patterns. Check that out for some ideas. Welcome back to knitting! :)

I am knitting socks and have finished the ribbing. I have divided the stitches as the pattern says, then I have to do 2 1/2 inches on Heel sts. The first row, says: (Wrong Side): Purl and the 2nd row says S1 1,K1: rep to end of row. I am confused with (Wrong Side): Purl can anyone help me.
You'll get more answers if you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum. But, I'll offer my help here. (I've knit about 22 pairs of socks.) You're at the part where you'll be knitting back and forth on the same set of stitches, so you'll be turning that section of stitches around, and knitting both sides. Knits on the front, purls on the back. This will make a longer section at the back of your sock. When you finish that part, you'll be picking up stitches along the sides of that section to connect it all back together and knit in the round again. You'll see photos of making socks, along with a great tutorial here:
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

gquinn5
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and still unsure how to work through it. I am hoping to get a lot of experience through here and maybe a little help...lol. Thank you.:woot:

Bev65
09-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi, I just started learning to knit! I am 63yr old mom and grand mom:heart: and cant wait to learn to knit, my sweet neighbor is trying to teach me how to knit I know how to crochet, but never learned to knit! I think she is about to give up on me until my other sweet neighbor gave me this link and saved me from giving up!:yay:

I had such a time holding the needles and kept dropping them,until I watched the videos :thumbsup: that saved me know I think Ive got it! Would you believe I'm trying to make a dish cloth! I will keep you all posted when I finish it I'm slow but I will get it done :roflhard:

Thanks for having me and for a great web site!
Bev65 :)

jtm
09-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi I am jtm.
I have a question.
Does anyone know how to use circular needles?
Hope someone can help.

colleenmary
09-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I have no clue how to get to where I can ask a question. I have never blogged. I knit/crochet for 10 grandchildren - only 1 boy! I was led to this site because I wanted to know what/how to sw from the lionbrand sock pattern and so did someone else on this site.
Thank you,
Colleenmary

luv2knitncrochet
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
When I first started working with circular needles, I found it easier to cast on to regular needles and then transfer them to the circular needles. It gets easier the more you use them. As for knitting in the round. When you get to your last stitch, instead of making a turn, you just keep knitting. It is not necessary to purl your odd rows, as you aren't actually turning your work. Clear as mud?

suzysinghigh
09-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi I'm Susan from South Alabama. I am a relatively new knitter but I have crocheted for several years. I am really excited about the videos on the site and hope to be able to learn to learn lots of new knitting techniques.:)

Ikip
09-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to introduce myself- I'm Shellie from Sydney Australia. I've been obsessively knitting for three years now. :X:
At the moment I'm trying to teach myself continental style, I usually knit English style. Learning new techniques keeps my interest fresh.

I love knitting lace but suffer from can't-finish-itis, also known as knitting ADD or cast-on-aphoria or WIP collecting. I spend way too much time on Ravelry but at least it keeps me out of trouble.

My husband is an enabler who allows me to convert way too many areas of the house into stash storage zones and drives me to the LYS whenever I want.

Oh and I'm teaching myself to spin at the moment too- I got a couple of second hand wheels from my fave enabler for our anniversary this year.:woohoo:

skinnylatte
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Hello! Just found your site. I am very pleased to find help with my knitting. I am a beginner and I am all thumbs. My name is Connie and I am from Idaho. My shrink though knitting would help with my anxiety. Right now I am trying to make a simple scarf. Wish me luck...

Rae2229
09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone! I'm not the best knitter in the whole but I do enjoy it very much. Friends tease me saying I don't look like the "knitting type." Whatever that means. :woot: Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thanks to this site. the videos are great. I totally forgot how to do ribbing and never knitted in the round before and the videos were perfect! Now I'm working on the left hand of my arm warmer. I did hit a little issue with the right but I'll post to the appropriate forum for that.

Thanks!

Rae :)

Shandeh
09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi I am jtm.....Does anyone know how to use circular needles?
Hi jtm! :) You'll get lots of advice for circular knitting if you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum. Just go to that section, and click "Start a New Thread" to ask your question. I've been using circular needles for a long time, and they are not hard at all. If you want to knit a large blanket, you can use long circular needles to knit back and forth, knitting the whole blanket at once. If you want to knit a hat "in the round", you can use a shorter circular needle and knit the hat without a seam. It's worth learning. :thumbsup:

I have no clue how to get to where I can ask a question. I have never blogged.
Hello colleenmary, Just go to the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum, and click "Start a New Thread" to post your question. Good luck! Crossed Fingers

My husband is an enabler who allows me to convert way too many areas of the house into stash storage zones and drives me to the LYS whenever I want.
What a wonderful hubby you have, Ikip!!! :woohoo:

My shrink though knitting would help with my anxiety. Right now I am trying to make a simple scarf. Wish me luck...
Hi skinnylatte! :hug:
My therapist told me the same thing, and he was right! :wink:
Knitting is very therapeutic, and fun too!

Friends tease me saying I don't look like the "knitting type."
Hi Rae! :waving: Tell your friends that there is NO SUCH THING as a "knitting type". Each of us is different from the other. Some knitters are school-age, others are in their 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. Knitting is for ALL ages, ALL religions, ALL nationalities, and BOTH sexes! :happydance:

wies
09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank you very much for the very nice "Welcome" letter

I am a knitter! My Grandmother and my Mother taught me to knit.

I do have a question. I am looking for the knitting pattern called: "The Freedom Sweater" a design from Jacqueline Olsen.

I will try to put this question also on one of the forums.

Thanks again for the great welcome! Wies

Ronnie52
09-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi did my message get posted about the Faroese shawl?

Ok here is my into. My name is Veronica but most people call me Ronnie. I am 57 and live in the Lansing area of Michigan. My two youngest daughters (20 and 24) moved here just over a year ago. All three of us knit and spin and crochet. I am learning weaving also. All three of us attend college at Lansing Community College. Boy that cuts into my knitting time. lol I am looking forward to meeting and learning from you all in this group. :cheering: :cheering:

In case my other reply did not get posted (I am new to this) what brought me here was a link for a free faroese shawl pattern. If someone knows what I am talking about I would appreciate the pattern. I love these shawls and am knitting one now with my homespun llama (butch) who we had before we moved.

Thanks again. And I look forward to meeting you.

Hugs
Ronnie52

tikiboo
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi to everyone. I have just discovered this site so am looking forward to reading all about it. I am not much for communicating but I enjoy reading what others are saying and explaining.:)

Bev65
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Hi to everyone, I just learned how to knit:knitting: thanks to my neighbor,I'm very slow with it but I will get it, I love this site I come to it everyday! Thanks for all the info :hug: I'm from Indiana and I am retired. I have 5 kids and 11 gradkids and 1 ggranddaughter so you see why I will learn all I can on this site!

denyzoo29
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi all,
My name is Denyel. I am 28 years old and am pregnant with our first child. I have come from a crafty family and have always tried various crafts but never found one I fell in love with. About 3 weeks ago I began a basic knitting class and have since excelled quickly and have made 2 pairs of baby booties and am working on a baby hat to match.
I am really enjoying becoming a knitting mama! Can't wait to meet you all!

mcali49
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi, My name is Mary and i just joined knittinghelp today. I have known how to do very basic knitting for many years, but recently decided I wanted to know how to do more than just go back and forth on the needle! too many scarves! :) :knitting:

Shandeh
09-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone!
:muah:

Hi did my message get posted about the Faroese shawl? ...........In case my other reply did not get posted (I am new to this) what brought me here was a link for a free faroese shawl pattern. If someone knows what I am talking about I would appreciate the pattern. I love these shawls and am knitting one now with my homespun llama (butch) who we had before we moved.
Hi Ronnie...apparently your other post did not work. Bummer! I've had that happen to me in the forum before too. It's a good idea to copy your post before posting it, just in case it gets eaten up by the "forum post eater". :teehee:

By the way, I edited your message to remove your email from public view, so your inbox wouldn't get filled up with spam messages. If anyone wants to contact you in the forum, they can send you a private message.

rondknitting
09-12-2009, 08:02 AM
coming back to knitting after a long, long dry spell I am finding the same old, same old........RIDGES in my stockinette. How do I get rid of them? I am currently knitting a darling angora rabbit, but rabbits are'nt supposed have .......RIDGES.....Help!

AlClaire
09-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi! I'm Amanda from the Chicago area. I taught myself how to knit, and have slowly advanced my skills. Very slowly! I am finally trying things a little more advanced than scarves. I'm thrilled to have found this site.:muah:

TallBoots
09-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Such an awesome resource! I'm an intermediate knitter, but I've got what I've heard some call "Knitter's ADD," that is, I always have more projects in my head than what's good for me, and I rarely finish any that take more than two skeins. I love to learn new techniques and I've found help here several times, so THANKS!

Shandeh
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Welcome, welcome! :hug:

coming back to knitting after a long, long dry spell I am finding the same old, same old........RIDGES in my stockinette. How do I get rid of them? I am currently knitting a darling angora rabbit, but rabbits are'nt supposed have .......RIDGES.....Help!
To do stockinette, you'll need to knit one row of knitting, then one row of purling. In effect, you are knitting on the right side of the fabric, and purling on the wrong side of the fabric.

Here's a photo of stockinette stitch:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/439990856_266fbc9125.jpg

ArpiStyle
09-14-2009, 07:02 PM
My name is Arpi and I have been a beginning knitter for a long, long time making more scarves, shawls and afghans than I want to think about! I just love the meditative qualities of knitting and I am not ashamed to admit I'm a yarnaholic!!!!! A knitting instructor recently told me I'm now an intermediate knitter having just completed my first pullover sweater.(It took me a long, long time and it was HARD!!!!)
The yarn shop where I took lessons and knit in community with others closed so I am OVER THE MOON to connect with this on-line community. Having help from this website will allow me to challenge myself so I can advance my knitting skills. After that sweater, my inner knitter wants to go back to knitting scarves!!
Right now I need some help putting the finishing touches on some children's slippers. Can anyone out there teach me how to make pom- pom tassels for the tops of these slippers?

Shandeh
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome! :hug:
Can anyone out there teach me how to make pom- pom tassels for the tops of these slippers?
Here's a tutorial on how to make pom-poms.
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/pompom.htm
And I'm sure you'll find some videos on YouTube on how to make them. :)

annalilly
09-16-2009, 12:21 AM
:cheering: Looks like a great commnunity of knitters here! I've been knitting for most of 45 years. Currently I am fascinated by WendyKnits Toe Up Socks. I like to do 2 at a time with the magic loop method (in fact, I've found circulars to be a lot less strain on my hands than straight needles anyway, so I use circs for almost all of my knitting) I'm an EZ and Walker Treasury fan, too. The past couple of days I have been stubbornly trying to work out a chart for knitting BW's Grapevine pattern (2nd Treasury, p.220) in the round :roflhard: . If anybody has one, let me know. Happy knitting!! :grphug:

Hellz
09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I just joined today after someone in craftster.org mentioned this site.

I've only just started knitting again after a horrible relationship with the needles when I was 11.

But this site has some great videos and other resources!

THANK YOU!! ^_^ :muah:

Texas44
09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Hello new here. I am new to knitting i have only been knitting six months. I have crochet for years but thought i would try knitting so far i am doing fair i think i have made a hat on straight needles my sewing needs to be better and i have made a scarf now working on a shrug and i hope i can figure out how to sew it up when it comes time. I live in Texas married have two kids a dog, cat that is about it about me. Rhonda

sunflower19
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
HI
I'm Kaye from N Ireland - retired living with my DH and knitting this 50+ years. I've just discovered this site and look forward to learning from it.

sharona56
09-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Thank you, Amy. I'm not the chatty kind, but I do appreciate a convenient resource. This website seems very user friendly. I haven't knitted in years and just found some yarn & needles. I was inspired to start again, but in need of some refresher courses and helpful hints. For all the help with the knitting, I'm even less adept as the website visit protocol. I don't know the first thing about the chatting, blogging whatever. I'm certain there are variations. Myfirst question, is what is the best method for going from one skein of yarn to another.

angelswings
09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Hello one and all, I got here as i needed help, which i got on the first page i arrived at. how great was that?. I call myself a new knitter although my mother and grandmother taught me the basics at age 6..But couldn't keep a grasp of it, as a mother i tried to pick it up a few times but could never finnish a project. However since becoming a grandmother (a Young one) i have almost finnished every project..just missing out things like booties to a complete set..i'm still teaching myself and stick to easy patterns but with your help and the wonderful videos on this site i'm sure i'll be doing better..i'm doing blankets for my very early newborn grandaughter right now..with lots of colours to catch her eye..
be happy and stay healthy.
Julie

shellstitch
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
:waving: I just started to learn to knit and I love it! Before my stroke, I designed and made my own career wear and crochet was my favorite passtime, besides music.

I can still crochet and play music, but at last I'm treating myself to learning how to knit! I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here.

I've found that if I work really, really hard, I can recover some of the function in my dominant (right) hand and the sky is the limit. Key is, to never-ever give up!

Cheers,
shellstitch

Jeremy
09-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Welcome to everyone. We're very glad you joined.:hug:

PattySeidl
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I am a fairly new knitter and absolutely love this site. I hope I don't drive you crazy with questions

PattySeidl
09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
who do I ask?

lindalorusso
09-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi
I'm Linda L. and am a beginning knitter. I started about a year ago.
I have been enjoying making the few projects I have completed.
I started because I wanted to make a sweater for my grandchildren.

Linda

JanetLWL
09-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Hello, My name is Janet and I am a beginning knitter. A knit shop opened in my town and I have been taking lessons off and on. This website has been very helpful and I especially appreciate the free videos. I am going to make an elongated scarf as my next project.

ahugh
09-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

Im new here. I just started knitting last year and I had made 3 little hats for my baby and some pillow cases. Currently Im working on a new project and in need of help. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you!!!

sharona56
09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to say this website is very helpful. It's so nice to have instant advice, assistance. I started a sweater just a week ago, and am amazed at my progress. Thanks for being here when I get stuck.

yaelbaruch
09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey,
my name is Yael and I'm a knitter from Israel :)
Apart from knitting, in my spare time, I play computer games and... Well, hang out with my mates...
I am on my second year of the mandatory IDF (Israel Defense Forces) service, which is also the last year.
Hope I get to know you guys well :)
:knitting:

Froggy9682
09-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello everyone! I am new here and pretty new to knitting. Last winter I made a scarf (pretty bad, but functional...haha), and then promptly forgot how to knit. I've decided to pick it up again, and am currently making another scarf to refresh myself after watching a few videos and reading some books. I really like baby/toddler knits, though I have no kids. I'm hoping to get really good so I can knit for my own kids when the time comes. Meanwhile, I guess I will give all my stuff away to friends with kids ;) I'm knitting from "Easy Baby Knits" by Claire Montgomerie, has anyone else made her patterns? I think they are so cute. Anyways, I hope to learn a lot here and get to know some fellow knitters!

Remontoire
09-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I am finally acting on a long time desire to produce knitted garments. Socks and sweaters are my goal... eventually. Just now I'm working on my second, five foot scarf. The first one wasn't perfect (http://www.flickr.com/photos/clocker/3926284162/) and the second one won't be either. :sun: I'm completely OK with that. I'm a watch and clockmaker and I've learnt that there will be many more mistakes before I have my 10,000 hours of mastery going on. :X:

The plan is to finish the current scarf that is exactly like the first one and then move from the current acrylic (yuck) yarn to some very colourful wool I bought recently. I'm excited about the prospects of what the winter holds. Knitting seems to be a wonderful activity for the end of the day when I don't feel like doing anything much more than sitting down anyway.

I've decided that my first sweater won't be a looker, but more of a stout bit of utility for my country life and trips to the barn. I have not had any success in finding as plain a pattern as I'm looking for though.

What I want is the very most plain design and construction I can find. I won't be cheap with the wool, but I will hold out on this project until I have a very primitive pattern that I can execute well. Ideas from you folks will be welcomed with open arms.

I'm very excited to see my scarves coming out more consistently. I've leant how to correct several of my favourite mistakes, which I'm sure my ambitious knitting Mum (http://www.flickr.com/photos/clocker/3911811682/sizes/o/) (Canadian dollar coin showing) will be happy to hear. I was visiting her recently and I think she thought the pain of me learning to knit at 50 years old was akin to learning the bagpipes. :aww: Not good!

I'm grateful to find this community and hope to be able to contribute in the spirit of this place.
Cheers! Ian

Shandeh
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :hug:

......I have been stubbornly trying to work out a chart for knitting BW's Grapevine pattern (2nd Treasury, p.220) in the round. If anybody has one, let me know. Happy knitting!!
You might try posting your question in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" area of our forum.

....now working on a shrug and i hope i can figure out how to sew it up when it comes time.
Hi Rhonda! You'll see a few good videos on "seaming" at the top of this page. Just click "View Videos", and find the section on "Knitting Tips". Scroll down that page for finishing techniques. Good luck!

My first question, is what is the best method for going from one skein of yarn to another.
Hi Sharon, you'll see Amy's videos on "Joining Yarn" on this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

.....Before my stroke, I designed and made my own career wear and crochet was my favorite passtime, besides music........I've found that if I work really, really hard, I can recover some of the function in my dominant (right) hand and the sky is the limit. Key is, to never-ever give up!
You're an inspiration! :thumbsup:

who do I ask?
.....Currently Im working on a new project and in need of help. I hope to hear from you soon.
If you have a question about specific patterns, post your question in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section. If you need help with a technique, post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section. Just click the "Start a New Thread" button to post your question. Good luck!

..........I'm knitting from "Easy Baby Knits" by Claire Montgomerie, has anyone else made her patterns?
If you start a discussion in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section, you can find others working in the same book.

......I've decided that my first sweater won't be a looker, but more of a stout bit of utility for my country life and trips to the barn. I have not had any success in finding as plain a pattern as I'm looking for though.
You'll probably like the "Knitting Pure and Simple (http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/)" patterns.

kitty59e
09-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Hello all I am Debbie, I am new to this forum. I love having places to go and chit chat :woot: . I am one of these that has to many things going at once:oo:. I love to knit and crochet and sew and quilt. Thats where it comes in that I get my hands into to many things at once. But glad I found a place to come to:woohoo: .

raennshadow
09-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Started knitting in 1976 and learned to crochet at the same time. I love both for different reasons and different projects, and sometimes will make items in one of each. I was looking for a way to carry a second color easily across the back when knitting two rows of each color...and didn't find any until I stumbled across a link to this site. How have I missed it? I live in Hoquiam, Washington, USA...on the banks of the Hoquiam River, just 30 miles from the Pacific Ocean. I consider myself an intermediate knitter even though I have tackled some pretty complicated projects. I prefer making useful items for friends and family..like scarves, mittens, hats...and if Santa tells me they have been very very good an occasional sweater.

I have been married for 52 years and we have one boomerang son at home...he is a delight and a burden at the same time. Suffers from panic attacks and depression, but in comfortable surroundings he is so clever and funny, it still amazes me he is so unsure and critical of himself. My husband was a government worker and on retiring became a downhill ski instructor. I had to give up skiing a few years ago, but I like sitting by the fireplace and enjoy the mountains from our condo at Snoqualmie Pass [about 150 miles from here] so in the winter I may be writing from up there. Beside knitting and crocheting I love photography, traveling, cooking, genealogy research, movies and television...not necesarily in that order. I love my grandnchildren and great grandchildren and do not get top see them nearly enough.

I found the answer to my question, but I'll be back.

raennshadow

marykaync42
09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I just sort of stumbled across this site this afternoon while browsing. It looks great and I'll be coming back often for help and hints and other good stuff!

kbartlett
09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone -- my name is Kay and I have been knitting a long time but just recently getting more involved. I live in NC and look forward to learning a lot.

passte
09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Hello,
I am new here. I do not know how to knit as of yet, I am trying to learn I am also left handed so I am finding it harder for me. My Niece gave me this web lite to check out.
take care all

angelintrainning
09-23-2009, 10:55 AM
hello all! I've fallen in love with knitting since I broke my leg, and have done a few hats and scarves :) happy knitting everyone!

girlmariner
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
My name is Ann and I am sort of new to knitting....I just cannot figure out a pattern and I find that some one besides me is having the same problem....I understand all the increases but the left side has the same number of stitches as when first started..dont get it...I refer to a posting on April 16 by Saftshe....the thread is {increasing rows with seam rows} My problem is the right side of the sweater has only 9 stitches, same as you start with before the increase...all other increases are fine...what am I doing wrong? Any help will be greatly accepted...

sherina
09-23-2009, 10:58 PM
i am new @ this knitting thing & I LOVE IT!!!! BUT (of course) I need a lot of help! LOL, First why is it that the yarn is SO tight on the needle? AM I pulling too tight? or is it the yarn? i just want to do something like a little blanket for my 2yrold. nothing too crazy, like i said i'm new HAHAHA thanks for the help!!!!! knit on!!!!

Shandeh
09-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Welcome to our wonderful Knitting Help Forum, everyone!
:hug:
Started knitting in 1976...........I like sitting by the fireplace and enjoy the mountains from our condo at Snoqualmie Pass.......raennshadow
Oh wow....I wish I could be there to knit beside you.
Sounds lovely! cloud9

Hello, I am new here. I do not know how to knit as of yet, I am trying to learn I am also left handed so I am finding it harder for me.
It might help to hold a mirror beside the computer screen and watch our knitting videos in the mirror. That way, you can learn left handed! Good luck.

My name is Ann and I am sort of new to knitting....I just cannot figure out a pattern.....
If you post your question in the "Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section of the forum, you'll get some help with your issue. Be sure to include a link to the pattern you are using. Good luck! :thumbsup:

i am new @ this knitting thing & I LOVE IT!!!!.........why is it that the yarn is SO tight on the needle? AM I pulling too tight? or is it the yarn?
You're probably holding the yarn too tight. A lot of new knitters do this, because they are afraid the yarn will slip off the needles. (I used to do it myself!) Just relax, and let the yarn flow. If you have problems, just come back to our forum, and ask us for help. Congratulations on learning to knit! :cheering:

chelliey
09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Dose that mean 2 balls of yarn at a time

chelliey
09-26-2009, 06:02 PM
New to knitting

Shandeh
09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Dose that mean 2 balls of yarn at a time

It means to use two strands of yarn at the same time. You can use the same ball, with the strand from the outside AND the strand from the inside of the ball at the same time. Or, you can use two different balls.

CountryNaturals
09-28-2009, 08:33 PM
I've been gone since January. Back then I was working on our daughter's pet expo. When that was over, in April, I started getting sick. That ended in major surgery in July. Now I'm finally recovered and ready to get back to knitting! :woot: It may take me a month to get caught up, but it will be fun. :knitting:

Remontoire
09-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I've been gone since January. Back then I was working on our daughter's pet expo. When that was over, in April, I started getting sick. That ended in major surgery in July. Now I'm finally recovered and ready to get back to knitting! :woot: It may take me a month to get caught up, but it will be fun. :knitting:

Knitting is just the thing for healing. Cheers to you!
Ian

Summer
10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Thank you Amy, for your warm greeting. I'm Bev and today is chilly here in SE Pennsylvania and when it asked for users name first thing I thought of was something warm, so Summers' the name! I'm real original, aren't I :aww: .

I know how to knit, I just don't know how to make it look nice and neat; So I gonna nose around and see if I can find the beginners section.

Thank you, in advance, to everyone on the forum for your help, advise, cirtiquing(sp), ideas...I welcome them all. It's nice to be in the midst of like minded people.

gleewhi
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi, i just signed up, I learned the European knitting from a Russian lady, but i got caught up in the combination knitting....have no idea how, but i watched the video on the home page and sure enough..that's how i've been knitting...but i'm half way through a project- i'm making a pullover vest almost done with the front...should i do that back the same way or is it possible to do the back knitting the continental knitting way..??

Shandeh
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :)

gleewhi, you can knit the back any way you want.

Sherries1970
10-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Sherrie and I'm new to knitting. I became disabled after 2 failed spinal fusions, followed by a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on the lung), all within the span of 8 months. Since I am unable to work I needed something to pass the time (besides watching soap operas and talk shows--a person can only take so much of daytime TV!). ;)

I actually got "started" last summer when my daughter's friend came over and noticed some knitting accessories my daughter received as a Christmas gift the year before. My daughter has no interest in knitting so she let her friend have it. I learned to crochet from my older sister when I was probably 9 (she's 14 yrs older than I am and is the ultimate craft queen LOL) so yarns aren't new to me.

I watched my daughter's friend knitting and was intrigued. I thought to myself "I can do this!" so I grabbed a set of needles and then became lost. I had no idea how to start anything or even how to do any stitches. My daughter's friend stopped what she was doing and offered to teach me the very basics. I got the knit stitch down pat. I practiced that stitch for a month. My next step was to learn to purl. THAT'S where I get lost. :whoosh:

Does anyone have any techniques, hints, etc that would help me to pick up on it? I am right handed. I have such a hard time grasping the concept of switching from a knit to purl stitch. I want to make sure I have the purl down before I go to anything else. :knitting:

Lastly, I want to say thank you for this site! I've gone to many others and started doubting my ability to catch on to knitting. When I came across this site and saw all the videos I was instantly hooked and come back to it every day. Today I finally signed up and I'm glad I did! I look forward to meeting fellow knitters who seem to have not only a better grasp of this craft but the ability to help those of us who are lost.

Thank you in advance for any and all tips! I look forward to creating lots of things and becoming a better knitter!

lynnaiken
10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I have been knitting for a few years but as yet have not been brave enough to try knitting in the round or making socks. I found a purse pattern that I like but do not know what this means: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches as they appear. I appreciate any help i can get on this

Sherries1970
10-06-2009, 02:42 AM
I just wanted to give an update on my initial post. After posting I sat down with a simple scarf project that I printed out and was determined to learn to purl. I watched the video on purl stitches about 4 times and finally got it! I don't know how but I'm not going to question it LOL!! I'm about 10 rows into the scarf (40 stitches, knit 2, purl 2 and repeat until the scarf is the desired length--told you it was a simple pattern!!) and I can now see the pattern and I get it!

After this scarf is complete I will post pictures. I'm taking pictures along the way to show my progress. I'm now so excited about it and can't wait to do other projects!!!

Shandeh
10-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum! :hug:

.........I found a purse pattern that I like but do not know what this means: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches as they appear.
I used to get confused by that term all the time when I was a new knitter. "Knit the knits and Purl the purls" just means to knit stitches that look like they were just knit. And purl stitches that look like they were just purled.

In this photo, you can see that the first 3 stitches on the right are KNIT stitches, so you would knit them. The next 3 stitches are PURL stitches, so you would purl them.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/3986093169_f85cab2e48.jpg

I also made a video to hopefully help you understand it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq9eGU1-6g

I just wanted to give an update on my initial post. After posting I sat down with a simple scarf project that I printed out and was determined to learn to purl. I watched the video on purl stitches about 4 times and finally got it!
Congratulations on learning to purl! :woohoo:

lelvsdgs
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM

I used to get confused by that term all the time when I was a new knitter. "Knit the knits and Purl the purls" just means to knit stitches that look like they were just knit. And purl stitches that look like they were just purled.

In this photo, you can see that the first 3 stitches on the right are KNIT stitches, so you would knit them. The next 3 stitches are PURL stitches, so you would purl them.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/3986093169_f85cab2e48.jpg

I also made a video to hopefully help you understand it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq9eGU1-6g

Congratulations on learning to purl! :woohoo:

You are awesome! A true teacher at heart, thanks so much for doing these videos. They help me and so many other people.:muah:

Shandeh
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you, my friend! :muah:

debrajj
10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I want to learn to knit. What do you suggest that I start with? Also, I am left handed, will this affect how I knit?

debp
10-07-2009, 02:56 PM
This my first time on this site. My name is Judy and I live in Wisconsin. I have been knitting on and off for 40 years. Im now retired and back at it.
My current delema is- I'd like to make a scarf with a #5 yarn, pattern calles for a #1 useing a doubble strand. Pattern also calls for a #8 knitting needle, cast on 42 stitches. How do I go about doing this changing the numbers to fit the pattern?
Thanks Judy

Sherries1970
10-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Here is a picture of the project I'm working on about 1/3 of the way through (after learning to purl). :woot:

I'm pretty excited...just anxious to get the project complete but I know I need to be patient and take my time with it.

Shandeh
10-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, everyone! :)

I want to learn to knit. What do you suggest that I start with? Also, I am left handed, will this affect how I knit?
It would probably be easiest to start with a small project, like a headband or a dishcloth. Scarves are good too, but they take a LONG time to finish.

Since you are left-handed, you can decide now if you want to knit left-handed or right-handed. In knitting, you really use both hands, so it doesn't matter. Some people would recommend that you knit right handed, since most patterns are written for right-handed knitting.....but I don't know if it really makes a difference or not. (I'm not left-handed, so I can't tell you.)

There are some good websites for left-handed knitting that might help. Just do a search for "left handed knitting" on Google. Good luck!

This my first time on this site. My name is Judy and I live in Wisconsin..........My current delema is- I'd like to make a scarf with a #5 yarn, pattern calles for a #1 useing a doubble strand. Pattern also calls for a #8 knitting needle, cast on 42 stitches. How do I go about doing this changing the numbers to fit the pattern?
Hi Judy! Since you're making a scarf, you don't have to worry about the size so much. So, you could just cast on the number of stitches they recommend, knit for a while, and see how it looks. Since it's not a fitted garment, it doesn't have to be exactly the same size as they recommend. Scarves come in all sizes, so it will be usable, no matter what size it turns out to be!

Here is a picture of the project I'm working on about 1/3 of the way through (after learning to purl). :woot:

Lovely! You might want to post your project in the "Whatcha Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)" section of the forum, so you'll get even more encouragement! :thumbsup:

ChristineO
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi! I'm Christine. I'm a full-time, homeschooling mom to 3 little girls, and I live in Texas. I've been knitting for almost two years. I've recently gotten into designing my own patterns, and have published a few for free on my blog. http://christineolsonoriginals.blogspot.com

I look forward to getting to know y'all!

Sherries1970
10-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi! I'm Christine. I'm a full-time, homeschooling mom to 3 little girls, and I live in Texas. I've been knitting for almost two years. I've recently gotten into designing my own patterns, and have published a few for free on my blog. http://christineolsonoriginals.blogspot.com

I look forward to getting to know y'all!
I looked at your blog and LOVE the shawl! It's beautiful and very kind of you to offer it for others to use.

annikah
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi! I have been away from this forum al long time so let me introduce myself again, i'm Annika 30 years old, single and living in the Netherlands.
I used to work at a childrens daycare, but for the last 10 months i was unable to work because i'm suffering from depression.
I love to knit (of course!), draw, and play my guitar!

Shandeh
10-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

LouiseV
10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi! I am new here and new to knitting! I took a class this past summer and learned the knit stitch, so I've been practicing alot and it is addictive. I love this site - the videos are great and I've had several people recommend it to me. Now I just need to learn to purl and bind off - I'm going to try and make a scarf.

I do have one question. For a beginner knitter, would it be harder to knit a scarf with large needles to give it more of a lacy look? I bought some yarn in the shop I took the class in and the guy said this particular scarf would be easy because its just the knit stitch - he showed me a sample of the finished scarf and said it was knitted on large needles. It looked lovely.

Thanks and sorry I'm blabbering on and on! :)

melmac51
10-15-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm left handed too. I crochet left handed, but I knit right handed. Didn't even know it until I watched a tutorial, and the instructor was knitting just like I did. Knitting right-handed should be easy for you, because you work off of the needle that you're holding in your left hand.

Whichever way you learn, it may be awkward at first, but just hang in there...I promise it'll get easier. :wink:

knittsterguy
10-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Looking forward to some help...:aww:

Shandeh
10-16-2009, 11:38 PM

.....I do have one question. For a beginner knitter, would it be harder to knit a scarf with large needles to give it more of a lacy look?
I think it's a good plan to make that scarf with large needles. It will be quick and fun to do. :thumbsup:

dibbs
10-17-2009, 04:55 AM
but most of my friends call me Pat, or Trisha. I'm not new to KH, but I don't think I've ever introduced myself. Some how I guess I missed doing that when I first found KH forums.

I've been here, but I don't post much unless I have a problem that I need help with. I'm more the type that reads first and ask questions last. I guess sorta a quite reserved person, although some say different (husband) ha ha. My close friends say that's only till you get to know me. :wink:

Anyway, I'm married for 27 years to a sweet man that I adore. I'm in my late 50's and we have no children, other than our little fur baby. :D

I taught myself to crochet many years ago, but now I'm teaching myself to knit. The videos here at KH and on youtube have been a great help, and I have to give credit to everyone here for I know I can always come here and find someone to help me when I need an answer to a knitting problem.

Well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D Once again, I'm sorry it took me so long to introduce myself to you all.

lesliereddiex
10-17-2009, 01:10 PM
does any one loom knit w/ knifty knitters? i can;t get turned around after the first round, i am a beginner

emilybear75
10-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi all!! My name is Emily.

I'm very new to this forum... actually to any forum... Not so new to KH. I've been using the wonderful videos for months! What a fabulous site!!

Somewhat new to knitting. I took a single lesson YEARS ago. Learned to knit and purl. Made a few things for my first baby late last year and earlier this year. Now I'm teaching myself some of the more advanced stuff.

I just learned that I am/was a combination knitter... but I think I've "fixed" that. :aww:

Looking forward to meeting other knitters. Now on to ask a few questions in another area.

Emily

Shandeh
10-23-2009, 12:49 PM

does any one loom knit w/ knifty knitters? i can;t get turned around after the first round, i am a beginner

I don't use them, but I have seen a few people post about them here in our forum. Here is the latest discussion I found: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94675&highlight=knifty+knitter

megishotstuff
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I can't tell you how helpful this site has been for me. I just started knitting and I LOVE IT! Your site is soooooooooooo helpful and amazing. Your videos are definitely the best on the web! Thank you thank you thank you for this site!

tidesong
10-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi! I've just found the forum section of this site, and decided I'd introduce myself! I'm Jamie, and I'm a relatively new knitter. I found this site through recommendations from other knitter friends, and I've found this site to be invaluable in my teaching myself knitting. I'm 31, and live in Wisconsin right now (though I'm probably moving to Baltimore relatively soon). When I'm not getting confused in new knitting patterns, I spend a lot of time immersed in music -- I am a semi-professional classical musician (voice, violin, piano). I also enjoy kitties, storm chasing, and wasting entirely too much time online. Hey, there are lots of patterns to be found! :)

Anyway, glad to be here, and look forward to getting to know everyone! :)

tracy1977
10-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi there. I'm Tracy from Scotland. I'm 32, married with 1 daughter. I used to knit when I was about 8 so that I could earn my knitters badge in the brownies and have just got back into it again.
I'm almost finished a scarf that I started last week. Just simple garter stitch to begin with.
My other hobbies are card making and cross stitch. I can't believe how addictive knitting is though. Don't want to put the needles down!

Looking forward to joining in with your forum.

fpmoore
10-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I am a long-time knitter, but sort of gave it up for a while..following a shattered ankle, I've revived my interest in knitting and am enjoying every minute!

Kia
10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
hi everybody!
i'm an italian girl very passionate of knitting :knitting: , and also i like play my guitar.:mrgreen:
see you soon!
bye!

Kia

Shandeh
10-29-2009, 12:18 AM

......I'm Jamie...........I spend a lot of time immersed in music -- I am a semi-professional classical musician (voice, violin, piano).
........i like play my guitar.:mrgreen: .......Kia
Cool! Two more musicians!
I'm a musician too. :)

ndaisy
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Hello Everyone.. name is Cheri..From Western NY Near Lake Erie... been crocheting basics.. and crafts for years. Have 4 kids and married forever. Just closed my business due to economics and decided to get back into my crafts again for the holiday gifts with the 100 somthing skeins of yarn I have left from my kitchen crochet towels I was selling in my store.

I am getting bored with crochet after years of sc, dc and rows of it for the towels and wanted to try knitting again. I have always loved the look. I say again.. cause I try and try and never seem to get the concept.
Finally... whew got the cast on done... that was making me crazy.. did the palm loop method and the stitches were so tight I wanted to cry. After a week of trying to figure out.. where the V was in making the long tail.. I found this website and the videos were great.

I watched every video I could find on this site.. and am very excited to start again. I made swatches of K and then P.. then K and P, and even tried a cable stitch... and then found out I was still doing the Purl stitch wrong.. for some reason I want to wrap under and not cast over.....

So you will see me asking all kinds of questions... because I have to know all to understand the basics...its strange and annoys my family... so please be patient with me... I may ask the same thing a few times in different ways to understand it.
This has got to be my 10 attempt to knit... one day I have to get it
Thanks and happy knitting
Cheri

Sherries1970
10-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Hi Cherie!

From one Sherrie to another (I know, different spelling LOL) welcome! My sister (who is 14 years older than me) taught me to crochet when I was young and I worked on projects off and on over the years. I am now disabled and have plenty of time to learn more stitches and work on new projects. I am so excited about it!

I taught myself to knit and after doing a "sampler" and getting aggravated because I couldn't do a purl stitch I put it down for a while. I picked it back up again and now have completed 2 projects. I'm so excited! The videos on this site are EXTREMELY helpful!! I watched the purl video and it was almost like magic!

I am working on a tote bag (using circular needles, which terrified me but now I'm finding it's much easier than I ever expected) and will be working on 2 baby blankets for a great nephew born last month and a great niece who will be joining this huge family next month. Also, I have a daughter in college and I am trying to work on a throw for her bed and a scarf/hat set for her boyfriend (who is from Buffalo and used to the cold LOL).

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. I haven't been a member on here long but have found that everyone is unbelievably helpful and so very kind! I almost wish we could get together in one big room and meet and knit! As a new knitter I'm hoping I will be able to help you along in your journey into the wonderful world of knitting and maybe between the two of us we can conquer it!

ndaisy
10-31-2009, 07:35 PM
WOW thanks for the welcome... so appreciated.... You sound like me... new knitter with wanting to do so many things at once.. I started with a scarf had some fuzzy yarn I got as a blind auction on ebay( dont ask....lol) and came out rather nice... well doing all KNIT I guess it has not to much room for error... ( I do know EVERY mistake I made in it.) Then I saw these awesome cable fingerless I think.. TINK has on her question.. I am not ready for those.. then someone else talked of fingerless that are not on DPN.. and viola.. I have one done.. few rows of some k2pr.. some ST st.. and a few knits and a band... looks great.. few mistakes.. but My daughter will love them mistakes and all... now I want to do socks.. thats what started all thise... My daughter loves socks and mismatched are her fav... I am a tad scared of the DPN....but I will manage it
Have this problem of starting one.. and seeing another.. and I am addicted....lol... seen this awesome hat I want to do.. and then the brother asked for a sweater... later bro.
Making my own needles now and cables... got some dowls.. very fun and fullfilling. The 13 and 15s... well not so much fun right now....but I have some nice 3 DPN.. and 7s.. and some reg needles.. love the wood.
I wont mention I am doing grannie squares in crochet for my daughters bed... do one square a day.... maybe for xmas.. lol.

Purl still gets me.. I want to wrap under.. growl...I have to make a song of something...
I do like the continential.. but that whole fast wrap knit... just draws me back... so I change it around.

Have you done any socks? I got some sock thread a book and some needles... but the yarns are so dang expensive.. was wondering how to use the 3 DPNS with worsed weight yarn.. so I can practice and still get a sock...I have so much yarn.. shakes head....simple old red heart.. and I went to the store.. my lord.. there are a lot of yarn out there... never really looked.. went right to the worsed...
seems worsted gets a bad name around other chats... lol

Well I am rambling.. thanks for the shout to me.. I love it...Talk more

Cheri

Jeremy
10-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Welcome to everyone! :hug:

janben
10-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi all,
I am a new member and avid knitter. I have a pattern for a great scarf with an undulating leaves pattern. It says M3. Here's the row: K4,P2,C2B,P2,M3,P2,C2B P2,K4. Help please. I really want to knit this scarf. The yarn is in fall colors and so pretty. Thanks.

janben
10-31-2009, 08:06 PM
thanks

offgridgirl
11-01-2009, 03:12 AM
A big Canadian...eh and howdy from the West Coast of BC.

I have been an avid knitter since my grandmother(mother was left-handed so it didn't work) taught me and gave me her favorite scissors. I do many projects and I am now working on a felted vest.
I have many interest but the one that takes up the most time(outside on sunny days) is my horses....two of them at the moment.
My husband and I live off the grid-power and LOVE it!! We generate our own power from the sun and wind.:woot: We live on 80 beautiful acres on a island!! We enjoy lots of out door activities but when is rainy and cold, I sit down and start knitting:yay:

Also wanted to add that I lived in Sharon Ma for 25 some old years....I saw that one of the moderators was from next door...
Love to hear from all of ya

S:thumbsup:

Sherries1970
11-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Unfortunately I haven't started on socks. I've founds LOTS of patterns I would love to do. Working on the heel intimidates me for some reason. I'm sure if I really focus on it I'll be able to get it.

Like you I go straight for the worsted yarn! I have purchased many skeins off ebay (got a GREAT deal on 24 skeins) and the rest was purchased at Wal Mart (my second favorite store LOL). I grew up crocheting with Red Heart and always veer toward it. I would LOVE to work with other yarns and may do so once I get my stitches down pat. I have one skein I use as my sampler and soon I will unravel it to teach myself to use dpns for socks. Once I have that down I think I'll be good.

Along with knitting I have other craft projects going on. Thanks to my awesome landlord I now have several good pieces of 2 x 4s I'm using to make candle holders for Christmas. We're helping our landlord work on one of his rental houses (painting, etc) and along with paying us for our work any supplies he can't effectively use (paint, wood, drywall, etc) he gives to me. I've got a stock pile of supplies going in my utility room. Eventually I'll be moving everything to the basement and setting up shop there.

I go to Borders bookstore a lot and hit the clearance racks. I've purchased many knitting books AND kits for next to nothing! The kits have needles, stitch markers, etc in them and I can just add them to my supplies. I think the last kit I purchased was regular price $29.95 and I got it for maybe $5. You can get clearanced items from their website but I've found it hard to find the kits online. I also purchase a lot of things from a local thrift shop. The owner buys contents from homes that are being auctioned (estate sales, etc) and he ends up with LOTS of crafting items. I actually purchased my first sets of knitting needles and stitch markers from him for roughly $3. I've also purchased 2 no-sew blanket kits (regularly $30) for $4.

Time for me to try and get some sleep. Been a busy weekend with my daughter and her boyfriend home from college, Halloween, etc. A house full of teenagers makes you feel young when they're here but old after they leave! LOL Take care and we'll chat more soon!

Sherrie

Sherries1970
11-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Welcome! I love this site because you meet so many nice people!

I haven't quite ventured into felting but hope to do so one day soon. I'll be looking for advice and am sure I'll get plenty of help from everyone on here.

I commend you for living off grid power. I think that is so awesome! Because we rent our home we aren't able to do that but try to do all we can to conserve energy.

Again, welcome! Hope to hear more from you!

Sherrie

Tigerstripe
11-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Hello all,

I'm a new knitter and just discovered this site when I had a problem. I got the clue I needed to solve it! Hope you're all well, lovely to meet you and I'll be back when I'm pulling my hair out with frustration again!!!

Elizabeth:cheering:

Myreah
11-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone

I'm new to this site. I just found a crochet site and so I figured there had to be a knitting community out there too and here you are. I like to do both so I am so :woohoo: excited to have found you guys. Have a great day and a super November.

debra1961
11-03-2009, 11:39 AM
hi iam new to this site. iam a beginer knitter. i live in texas.

NANIN
11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
....my english is no so beatifull but I like to make knitting!
I am here for to red you and your work, I hope to learn to all you teach me.
Ciao :knitting:

Marcianna
11-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi, I am Marcianna and I live in the Netherlands.
I am a beginner on the knitting machine. I bought it yesterday.
It's a Brother KH860. I'm so exicited to work with it!

I hope I can learn a lot from you all.

Shandeh
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :hug:

I am a new member and avid knitter. I have a pattern for a great scarf with an undulating leaves pattern. It says M3. Here's the row: K4,P2,C2B,P2,M3,P2,C2B P2,K4. Help please. I really want to knit this scarf. The yarn is in fall colors and so pretty. Thanks.
Hello janben....You will need to look at the pattern abbreviations to see how they want you to do M3. The glossary should be at the beginning of the pattern.

dianapeh
11-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi all,
i'm a knit beginner from Singapore
Hope to learn and share in this forum:)

peacefuljeffrey
11-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Hello!

I'm Jeffrey, a native of Long Island, NY, but living in southern Florida since 1997.

I'm 38 years old, male, and got into knitting for two reasons:
- around 1993 or so I discovered a love for knot tying when my brother got me a book on the subject
- my mother, who died in 2001, was a phenomenal knitter for decades, and I wanted to be "closer to her" in this way

For some stupid reason, I never got Mom to teach me to knit all during those early years. I guess it just never occurred to me how cool it would be to be able to make knit projects (like she had always done). I stuck with my knotting, which was (and it puzzles me now how it could have been) enough for me.

When Mom got sick, we were going to have her teach me to knit so I could carry on the tradition, but unfortunately her decline was far too rapid to allow for it. So after a good deal of procrastinating--during which I learned to fly and to skydive--four years after she was gone, I marched down to a local knitting store ("Great Balls of Yarn" here in West Palm Beach), and signed up for a beginner knitting class.

So that was 2005. I've known how to cast on, knit, purl, and cast off, for four years. It's time to learn more!! (Right?!) So I was back at the store yesterday to inquire about an intermediate class. It was so funny--when the manager of the store came out from a side room, she trumpeted, "WE'VE GOT A MALE!!" :woot: That kinda feels good, y'know?

So the next intermediate class is on 11/14/09 and I plan to join in.

My ultimate goal is to be able to knit myself a ten-pound sweater (I kid!) like the kind of huge cable knit thing a sailor would wear in a Nor'easter off the coast of Maine. Something in heavy black wool, about an inch thick, you know? Maybe natural color, I dunno.

So, I guess I'll see you all around this forum as I try to learn more about this stuff. I've already learned the "long-tail cast on" from the video on the main page, so thanks for that, whoever is responsible for producing it.

Nice to find this site here!

Blue skies,
-peacefuljeffrey

albertpollard
11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Just wanted to welcome you aboard, from another male knitter. There are several of us 'lurking' about the site. This is a good place to come for hints, tips and just a good community to hang out in.

Shandeh
11-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone! :)

My ultimate goal is to be able to knit myself a ten-pound sweater (I kid!) like the kind of huge cable knit thing a sailor would wear in a Nor'easter off the coast of Maine. Something in heavy black wool, about an inch thick, you know? Maybe natural color, I dunno.
Welcome Jeffrey! If you do a search on the internet for "Aran Sweater", you'll find lots of options for a sweater like that. If you want it to be weather-resistant, like the real thing, use wool yarn that still has the lanolin. Lion Brand's "Fishermen's Wool (http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/fisher.htm)" is an option, and there are 5 colors available now.

OffJumpsJack
11-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd only add one thing, the following to what Albert said.

The secret code is use

:guyknitting:

for :guyknitting:

Notice the hat? Yep, the ladies made an emoticon just for us men.
:roflhard:

novice stitcher
11-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Just wanted to welcome you to the gang, Evan! I agree, knitted stuff is SO pricey!

You're already ahead of me, my dear. I've started in March of last year and I'm just knitting and purling and a little bit of stranding... and of course the binding off :) one of these days I'll expand on that :)

Again, Welcome :)

Jenn
Ontario, Canada

Howdy all!! I just decided to take up knitting 2 weeks ago... thought it would be a great hobby since I don't work for the month of August (the joys of being a dance teacher!). My grandfather had just started to knit before he passed away, and from what I understand we are VERY similar.

I've already figured out knit, purl, increase, decrease, elongated stitch, cast on and bind off... it feels great to know all of that after just two weeks! I currently have 3 scarves on needles and I'm completely obsessed ;)

My ultimate goal (for now) is a cute sweater pattern I found on knitty.com. Men's wool knit sweaters are so pricey that I'd much rather know that the $$ I put into it also came with my own creativity!

Sorry for the rambling, but thank you for such an amazing resource!

peacefuljeffrey
11-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

I might not post much until after the 14th when I take my intermediate knitting class. There's not a lot I can do except for cast on, knit, purl, and cast off at this point. I'll have a lot more to gain and share here once I'm a bit more proficient. Cheers! :guyknitting:

Amiee
11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm very new to knitting and this website has helped so much!!! Thankyou so much!! The video's are a huge help!!

Shandeh
11-13-2009, 12:02 AM

whooz
11-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi, i am very new in knitting. Found this forum while browsing how to knitting :) . I've learned the basic knit and purl from the owner of knitting / crochet shop and now are struggling to finish my very first project :).

isappb
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I am new to knitting and happened upon this site totally by accident. I must say what a HAPPY accident it turned out to be. I am looking forward to learning lots and having lots of fun doing it. The videos are GREAT!

scotia
11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Just wanted to say hello, I've picked up my needles again after cross-stitching for a few years and I must say I'm really enjoying knitting again.
What a great site!

Aurora
11-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Hello all,

I am returning to knitting after about a three year absence. Amazed that I cannot even remember how to cast on! LOL

Glad you are all here to help:cheering:

Nipponnay
11-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Hello everyone,

I am literally brand spanking new to knitting - I went to a friend's house on Saturday and learnt how to cast on and do a knit stitch, and spent all of Sunday practicing! My friend has gone on holiday now so isn't around to help me, so I thought I'd have a look online and see if I can teach myself and impress everyone next time we meet up :) It will probably all go terribly wrong, but hopefully it will still be fun. I've been looking around the website and forums and it's been a great deal of help already!! So thank you! :muah:

Loira
11-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been knitting for a few months now and am finally feeling comfortable with it. The videos on this site helped A LOT and through some trial and error I'm here and ready to help y'all :)

Shandeh
11-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the forum! :hug:
Thank you all for joining.

CivicSista
11-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Hello, I've been lurking here for the past couple days and decided I should introduce myself....

I just started knitting again. I learned a few years ago, and got back into it a few months ago. My nutrition class for college was offering extra credit for making a hat or scarf for a homeless shelter here in MN. I thought it was a great idea and I banged out my scarf and not I can't stop knitting.
Just learned how to make hats. :) I also asked for the harmony interchangeable circular needle set for christmas, which my mom ordered early for me.
Here is a couple pictures of the hats I made, need to get a pic of the scarf I made.
http://gallery.mac.com/civicsista#100028&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Tracy

theonlyguyknitter
11-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Hello all!

My name is Austin from Phoenix and I seem to be the only guy knitter that I know of. I am currently in high school and studying to be a civil/architectural engineer. I keep my knitting a secret due to the discrimination and hate around me. However, I found this forum to let my ideas and thoughts out!:woohoo: I also crochet and prefer the "faster projects". Right now I am crocheting a scarf for my mother. I hope to meet you all soon!

-Austin :knitting:

suzeeq
11-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Well, you're not the only guy knitter here, there's at least a dozen, maybe more. Mike also crochets too. Welcome Austin!

albertpollard
11-21-2009, 12:23 PM
The high school crowd can be rough but stick with your creativity! I crocheted when younger and now do both crochet and knit.
If you are only doing small projects, let me challenge you to make a motif afghan. The blocks are 'small' projects, then you join them together and you have a wonderful warm afghan.

vaudiss
11-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey all...I'm new to knitting and the site:aww: I go to a weekly tatting group where I'm the co-teachery type person and since this last week it was just the two teachers....I made her teach me to knit!!!! Since we meet at hobby lobby the supplies were right there I just figured it was time!!!! I do Civil war reinacting and though tatting is period correct, knitting has sooooooo many yarns options that look so yummy :) anyway just my intro

AngelaR
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I should have stopped in here first! I'd like to wave to all of the other new folk.

I've been knitting for 20 years, since I was expecting my third child and was desperate for something to do and my neightbor taught me to knit and it took. I've stuck to simple things like blankets, scarves and hats. I've now decided I want to knit socks and stocking, and if I have an affinity for it, sweaters. The few sweaters I've knit have been simple patterns that even I could follow and not get too wrong, so I'd like to try something a wee bit more challenging.

My goal right now it to turn a heel, and shape a gusset, all while keeping control of my work. It's a challenge. Especially with people walking into my den asking me what I'm doing. You'd think they'd never seen me knitting before.

craftluvr
11-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I just wanted to thank you for this site. I have been trying to learn to knit for some time and with the help of this site, I was able to finally learn to knit! I have been a crocheter since I was 9 and wanted to do something different. I have always admired the knitted patterns, but was aggravated that I couldn't do them....now I can! Thanks Again!:woohoo:

KnitandPurl
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi! I'm teaching myself to knit and this site has been a great help. I love the videos.

I learned crocheting from my landlady when I lived in Germany; she knew how to knit but I didn't stay there long enough to learn. A Japanese friend taught me a simple cast on, knit and purl, and bind off but I haven't done anything with it.

I'm pretty confident in crocheting and can do a simple knit swatch in stockinette but that is about it. I picked up the Basic Knitting book by Leigh Ann Berry: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started and I'm trying out the teddy bear sweater pattern with some leftover yarn from a crochet project. Its simple but fun; the yarn is splitting on me which is adding stitches left and right. Yes, I've learned to frog. :cool:

I'm looking forward to learning some more from the great knitters in this forum.

craftluvr
11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi! I'm teaching myself to knit and this site has been a great help. I love the videos.

I learned crocheting from my landlady when I lived in Germany; she knew how to knit but I didn't stay there long enough to learn. A Japanese friend taught me a simple cast on, knit and purl, and bind off but I haven't done anything with it.

I'm pretty confident in crocheting and can do a simple knit swatch in stockinette but that is about it. I picked up the Basic Knitting book by Leigh Ann Berry: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started and I'm trying out the teddy bear sweater pattern with some leftover yarn from a crochet project. Its simple but fun; the yarn is splitting on me which is adding stitches left and right. Yes, I've learned to frog. :cool:

I'm looking forward to learning some more from the great knitters in this forum.

I haven't tried anything as bold as a sweater yet. All of my projects have been flat work, a few scarves, an afghan, things like that. I do have to admit that there are some gorgeous sweater patterns out there that I'd love to get my hands on and give it a whirl!
I have managed to nail down the basics and have expanded my horizons by adding the cable stitch.
I do better by seeing someone do as oposed to reading, that is why this site has been such a God send; however, one book that I have found that is extremely helpful is the "Ultimate Knitters Bible" by Sharon Brant. There are detailed instructions and colorful photos in there to help you along.
Best of luck with your sweater. Maybe you could post a picture when you've completed it.
Happy Knitting:knitting:

mbrsart
11-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I've posted a few times here but haven't introduced myself yet. I'm MB, and my slogan is "Real Men Knit."

So far I've made three scarves, one of which is a horribly poorly made attempt at two color knitting, and I'm planning on making scarves and maybe matching hats for my two youngest siblings for Christmas. I'm also going to knit myself another sweater that I can use for church, parties, etc.

I tried crocheting on Saturday night...and can't do it. So I'll stick to knitting and using the hook for my funky bind-off method.

KnitandPurl
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I haven't tried anything as bold as a sweater yet. All of my projects have been flat work, a few scarves, an afghan, things like that. I do have to admit that there are some gorgeous sweater patterns out there that I'd love to get my hands on and give it a whirl!
I have managed to nail down the basics and have expanded my horizons by adding the cable stitch.
I do better by seeing someone do as oposed to reading, that is why this site has been such a God send; however, one book that I have found that is extremely helpful is the "Ultimate Knitters Bible" by Sharon Brant. There are detailed instructions and colorful photos in there to help you along.
Best of luck with your sweater. Maybe you could post a picture when you've completed it.
Happy Knitting:knitting:

Well in crochet, sweaters are not that hard - we'll see how it goes with knitting. I just got the Vogue Knitting book and it has some incredibly beautiful sweater patterns but I think it will be a long time before I can knit any of those! I love scarves though - with a nice yarn they're so pretty and in crochet they're so easy to make.

The teddy bear sweater is just a practice piece from the Basic Knitting book. I think the author just put it in for practice so people can go through all the steps of making a sweater without spending too much time or yarn. The book though has a pattern for a knitted tank that looks nice which I think is more doable than the Vogue patterns.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Knitting Bible. I'll check it out. :waving:

ahkm1
11-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Hello. My name is ann. The problem I have encountered is when I retired earlier this year, I was straightening (lol) up and moved all my stash of yarn into one room, yes the whole room. I have all these semiused skeins and colors of mostly worsted acrylic and some sport acrylic.
My big question is, if I wanted to make something with bulky yarn, can I combine a worsted weight with a sport and have it look like
anything? Or should I forget that altogether and just make afghans or shawls :knitting: with the leftovers?
You would probably reach me faster at my email
annhkmiller@yahoo.com
Thank you

suzeeq
11-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes a bulky and sportweight combined would be a bulky weight. Get creative.

srosengarten
11-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi, I'm Sarah, I'm a pretty new knitter and find this site incredibly helpful and wonderful. I've already gotten some help with something, and everyone seems quite lovely.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

ahkm1
11-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Thank you suz. Your answer was very timely.

Ann/Ahkm1:knitting:

mnscootergal
11-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm relatively new to knitting (scarves, hats etc) and am currently making my first Christmas stocking. As it's Thanksgiving (and I'm not visiting relatives this year), I find myself alone and unable to call on friends for advice. Given this situation, I come upon the phrase "pick up and knit" in my instructions and am truly perplexed. I search my "Learn to knit" book but can't find any reference to this phrase or how to execute it. Then I Google knitting tips and click on this link. Within seconds I'm viewing an easy to follow video and am back on track with my Christmas stocking! Thanks so much for today's assistance and I can't tell you how excited I am to have found this site! :thumbsup:

cheryl0759
11-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone...

I too have always crocheted but wanted to learn to knit...this site is awesome and I cannot wait to start.... :muah:

Shandeh
11-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

proudgranny
11-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi! I'm not sure I know how to navigate around this but I sure could use some help. I am proud granny and a self-taught knitter. I watch other people knit and they go so fast and I've finally figured out it's because I hold my yarn incorrectly and in order to wrap it around the needle I let go with my right hand, throw the yarn and then grasp the needle again with the right hand.

I watch other people just zip through their rows and it takes me a good while to do the same thing. Can someone please tell me the proper way to hold the yarn or direct me to a site that teaches that very basic principle! Although I have to tell you I've done it the "wrong" way for more years than I can count so teaching an old dog a new trick might require some effort.

Thanks for any and all help you might provide.

dustinac
11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi! I'm not sure I know how to navigate around this but I sure could use some help. I am proud granny and a self-taught knitter. I watch other people knit and they go so fast and I've finally figured out it's because I hold my yarn incorrectly and in order to wrap it around the needle I let go with my right hand, throw the yarn and then grasp the needle again with the right hand.

I watch other people just zip through their rows and it takes me a good while to do the same thing. Can someone please tell me the proper way to hold the yarn or direct me to a site that teaches that very basic principle! Although I have to tell you I've done it the "wrong" way for more years than I can count so teaching an old dog a new trick might require some effort.

Thanks for any and all help you might provide.

Hi and welcome to KH! There isn't a wrong way to knit but if you are interested Amy does have some videos here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch) that may help ya see a different way. If you have any questions just ask :thumbsup:

momtole
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Hello fellow knitters!

I have been knitting for years but have so much trouble sewing my seams together. I love needlepoint, and my sutures (I'm a vet) are fabulous, but when it comes to my finished projects, I'm all thumbs! I stumbled across this forum while googling finishing!

About me, I am a full-time working mom of 2 little boys (4 years, 22 months) who pretty much take up most of my time. I live up here in Canada so nice warm wooly knits are a must!

I can't wait to get help and to give it!

LibrarianInStiches
11-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I was so excited to find this forum! My grandmother taught me to knit when I was about 11, but I didn't really get into it until college and now it's one of my main hobbies. I sew a little too but I have more patience for knitting! I'm excited to learn new things and meet new knitters. I'm still learning so I'll appreciate all the help I can get!

dawnhuntington
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone , happy knitting! Im new here and just wanted to say hello. Im a happily married mother of two awesome little boys who are 10 and 7. I am a nursing school student, Im pretty new to knitting so you will no doubt be hearing alot from me. I am so excited to have found this site!thanks

Dawn:muah:

Danisty
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
New here! I found the site looking for a tutorial on knitting with circular needles. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this place! I've only knitted a few scarves, but I'm ready to try new things.

I'll be 31 in a couple of weeks, I've been married for almost 11 years and we're childfree by choice. My husband's a medic in the Army and I picked up knitting during his last deployment. He's leaving again soon, so here I am trying to learn more so we don't have 50 scarves when he gets home. :roflhard:

Sherries1970
12-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Welcome to the forum Danisty! First of all I want to thank your husband for his service. Without him and hundreds of thousands of other unselfish men and women we might not be free to do the simplest things in life!

I'm struggling with working on circular needles. I've actually worked on a tote bag that is nearly finished but I get aggravated easily with it (medical problems will do that to you LOL). I will say that learning how to get started on circular needles opened new doors for me. I'm now a bit less hesitant to start new projects. My next adventure? Double-pointed needles! Lord knows I've got PLENTY of time on my hands to do it!

Again, welcome to the forum...there are LOTS of great, friendly people on here.

Danisty
12-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Danisty! First of all I want to thank your husband for his service. Without him and hundreds of thousands of other unselfish men and women we might not be free to do the simplest things in life!I will let him know. The importance of hearing these things can't be overstated. Thank you.

I'm struggling with working on circular needles. I've actually worked on a tote bag that is nearly finished but I get aggravated easily with it (medical problems will do that to you LOL). I will say that learning how to get started on circular needles opened new doors for me. I'm now a bit less hesitant to start new projects. My next adventure? Double-pointed needles! Lord knows I've got PLENTY of time on my hands to do it!

Again, welcome to the forum...there are LOTS of great, friendly people on here.The double-pointed needle stuff seems hard to manage. I inherited a ton of needles and crochet hooks from my grandmother, but the only double pointed ones she had were metal. I'm going to get some wood ones before I even think about trying that.

Shandeh
12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Welcome to our forum, everyone! :hug:

.......when it comes to my finished projects, I'm all thumbs! I stumbled across this forum while googling finishing!
I believe that seaming is an art all by itself. I am a slow, careful knitter, so I've learned to be a slow, careful seamer as well. It just makes everything look better. A great knit can be ruined by sloppy seams.

I learned how to seam by watching Amy's "Finishing" videos here in the forum. They really did help. You can see them on this webpage: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Jannette
12-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi, my name is Jannette and I am new to the forum. I just discovered this great site while googling for help with weaving in ends. I am probably in the novice knitter catagory, though I learned to knit about 30 years ago I haven't done much of it through the years. I recently rediscovered knitting and decided to take the plunge to serious knitter.

I have discovered that it is impossible to go to the yarn store and buy only one project (also that yarn is an addictive substance!). I'm sure I'll be using the site for all kinds of advice as I venture into new knitting territory. As I am at least 50 miles away from any kind of classes, which makes dropping in to the store for advice when you need it nearly impossible, a site like this is invaluable.

I also am very active in Basset Hound Rescue and have two horses that I spend a lot of time taking care of.

I probably won't be posting often until I get more familiar with the forum, and more experienced in my knitting, but I'll be reading the threads on a daily basis.

Dav7979
12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I am a beginner,i love to know how to kniti,but when it is done how do i close it up.

summerdaze
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a crocheter that decided add knitting to my arsenal :) I found this site thanks to the very helpful vids out front, found the boards and thought it would be fun to join.

Just wanted to say hello!

suzeeq
12-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi and welcome! There's quite a few crocheters here and a Crochet forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)even.

LeMaster
12-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I am new here to. Picked up a ook a few weeks ago and bought some needles and yarn. It seems all so confusing but am loving it and looking forward to learning more and more. But where do I go from her. Have the knit stich down. Am continental knitting was easiest for me!!:oops:

Shandeh
12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome to the wonderful KH Forum! :hug:

I am a beginner,i love to know how to kniti,but when it is done how do i close it up.
Are you asking about how to bind off?
You can see videos here in our forum on how to bind off, as well as other knitting procedures. Just click the "View Videos" tab at the top of this page to get started. Good luck! :thumbsup:

I am new here to. Picked up a ook a few weeks ago and bought some needles and yarn. It seems all so confusing but am loving it and looking forward to learning more and more. But where do I go from her. Have the knit stich down. Am continental knitting was easiest for me!!:oops:
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!
You might enjoy watching the free knitting videos to help you learn all the different parts of knitting. Click the "View Videos" tab at the top of this webpage. Have fun! :)

amy
12-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Welcome new members! :muah:

Dorothy, the Bind off is also called "casting off" on this site, in case you're still looking for it.

Continental or English, crocheter or other crafter, we're all a big happy family here. :grphug:

MesaVerde
12-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Hey there! I'm 13 years old and have been knitting for about 4 months. I taught myself out of a klutz book. :aww: I actually don't know very much about knitting so I was really excited when I found this site!

Toria
12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Hello! My name is Victoria, but, as you can see, I go by Toria.

I got into knitting about 3 weeks ago due to a number of factors - one of them being that I own a scarf that, whenever I wear it, I'm always asked if I made it myself (I'm a big fan of scarves!). I just recently finished my first FO in two weeks - a single-color knit scarf , 42 stitches wide and 5 feet long (I would have gone longer if I didn't run out of yarn!). And I've been itching to knit ever since.

And it's thanks to this website that I know how to knit - and these forums just seem like a fun place with lots of inspiration. I hope to be here a lot as I get more experience :)

chelspan
12-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi! I've been knitting for a few years now, but it's an on and off thing for me, and I've only recently gotten really into it. I found this site after a pattern had left me completely stumped and now i love it! :inlove:

momannette
12-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi,
I' new to this ste and wanted to know if anyone has copywrited one of their patterns? I am trying to figure out if it is worth doing that, or just making my creations and then selling them.

brolie
12-29-2009, 12:12 AM
im brolie.. :D im 23 and have been knitting for four years.. started when i found out i was pregnant with my first child.. haha

anyway, im so glad to see so many active and helpful members of these boards.. this is such a great site and message board!!

ratty1973
12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I'm a new member. Saw the help required for Mittens on Twitter. My name is Rachel Blunden and I've been knitting for 30 years last August. My mum taught me to knit when I was 6.

I live in Twyford, a village to the East of Reading, Berkshire UK.

Rachel B

retiredpat
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Greetings to all fellow knitting buffs. This world wide web stuff is new to me. So please bear with me. I am attempting to knit an afghan and I am having trouble with one piece of the instructions. It goes like this:

Cast on 62 stitches.
Rows 1,3,7,9 are just a hodge podge of 'K's and P's.

Rows 2,6 and 10 are where my problem starts. The first part of row 2 starts out similar to row 1 then it goes like this: *in the next st (K1, P1, K1), purl 3 sts tog, repeat from * 3 times;

By the time I purl 3 sts tog 3 times I don't have enough sts rmg to complete the 62 sts. Can someone please help me. I will be eternally grateful. Retired Pat.

Shandeh
12-31-2009, 01:28 PM

........wanted to know if anyone has copywrited one of their patterns? I am trying to figure out if it is worth doing that, or just making my creations and then selling them.
I don't think that a copyright is necessary. Here's what I've found about it online:
http://yarnaholic.wordpress.com/the-copyright-faq-for-knitters/

.......Rows 2,6 and 10 are where my problem starts. The first part of row 2 starts out similar to row 1 then it goes like this: *in the next st (K1, P1, K1), purl 3 sts tog, repeat from * 3 times;
By the time I purl 3 sts tog 3 times I don't have enough sts rmg to complete the 62 sts. Can someone please help me. I will be eternally grateful. Retired Pat.
You will do the first part "in the next st (K1,P1,K1)" ALL IN ONE STITCH. In other words, don't move the stitch to the right needle until you do all three of those stitches in the same loop.

By the way, you'll get more answers to pattern help questions, if you post your question in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section, or the "Patterns (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)" section.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

LifeIsGood
12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi all! I am also new to this site. I found it a few weeks ago when I decided to try to teach myself to knit but had only utilized some of the videos until today. I have been crocheting for a little over a year, mostly hats and working on a couple of afghans. I am a visual learner, so its taken me some time to get the hang of some things but I'm making progress in crochet so thought I'd see how well I can get the hang of knitting as well. I'm really enjoying it so far ;)

I look forward to expanding my talent with both hook and needle!

Happy New Year!

Jeremy
01-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

alevtina
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi, everyone! :waving:

My name is Allie and I'm 23 years old. About ten years ago, while visiting family in Russia, my grandmother attempted to teach me how to knit. All I remember from that session was the scratchy dark blue yarn and the metal needles she used. (I think I may still have them somewhere...) It wasn't until 2 years ago that I tried it again with any kind of seriousness. I didn't know anyone else who knitted so I bought the book Stitch 'n' Bitch and tried to teach myself. That didn't work out so well and I got discouraged, so I put the needles away in a dark corner of my apartment.

In December 2009, I finally picked up the needles again for good when a crafty coworker offered to observe my technique and let me know what I was doing wrong. Coupled with Knitting Help (http://www.knittinghelp.com/), I finally got it! Any time I have a question about something I read in a pattern or a book, I turn to this site. It has clear videos and instructions that I can understand and easily follow! Thank you, Amy, for this wonderful site.

Anyway. I apologize for this long-winded introduction... but I'm very excited to be here :)

brolie
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
im very loquacious as well. :D

i didnt like stitch and bitch.. i had a book like "learn how to knit without losing your mind" or something like that and really liked it.. but i have found websites help more with specific questions

treegardner
01-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Hi, everyone! My name is Nichole and I'm 25 years old. My grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet when I was a kid and I just recently picked it back up. I've been asking her for help, but for the most part it all came back to me. I'm very excited to be here.

Shandeh
01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
The KH Forum is a fun place to be. :)

aqueous18
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi, my name is Kelly and I just started knitting. My grandma was an amazing knitter. She made my first baby blanket and I still wear the last scarf she made me before she passed away. I'm here to learn and ask a lot of questions. I'm working on my first swatch and despite some extra stiches (heh) it's coming along ok. Thanks!

brandhuber4
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I have decided that I need a hobby and I have chosen knitting. I'm excited, but need lots of advice. First of all, can anyone tell me what materials I need to start off with? What is the best project to start working on for beginners. I am having to teach myself and hope that I can. All opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
jen:hug:

brandhuber4
01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Could you help me get started? What materials will I need to start and what project is best for a true beginner? Thanks!

brolie
01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
i started with size 7 needles and some cheap yarn just to learn the movements.. a true beginner imo should stick with not doing any real PROJECTS right at first .. but i did scarves as my first project because it is fairly simple and i could use different stitching patterns..

iloveknittinggirl
01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Sup' everybody!!! i love this site. :inlove: You might be surprised if i told you my age but my teacher was so caught in my knitting she found this awesome site and told me about!!!:woohoo: :cheering: she already made a scarf with the help of her friend to make a hole into her scarf. SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT MAKING HOLE INTO A HAT!!! PLEASE!!!

LifeIsGood
01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Jen, welcome! I am a very new knitter as well. I have a very little bit of crocheting experience and thought I'd try my hand at knitting. To start, I purchased a learning kit called I Taught Myself Knitting. Its made by Boye...I got mine at Walmart. It came with 2 sets of needs and a couple of other essentials. I also heavily utilize online videos as I have a terrible time learning with pictures. I'm a hands on learner. My DH also got me a Learn to Knit kit made by LionBrand. It had yarn and two patterns (hat and scarf) included. The patterns are designed to get you comfortable with three basic stitches. I think it worked out quite well!

I also got a DVD called I Can't Believe I'm Knitting. I refer to it when needed but really rely on the Internet videos.

Get some inexpensive yarn and get started! Good luck and most of all...enjoy!

kahlan
01-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi, my name is Kahlan and I'm teaching myself how to knit. I've done some crochet in the past but was too impatient to get any real experience. I'm a little older now and living in *very cold* Minnesota, so I thought it would be a fun "winter" thing to do.

How nice to have this incredible resource of knitters assembled here!! I don't know many people in MN so I'm glad there's a place for me to ask my beginner questions, and to read up on these forums.

Thank you!!!

LifeIsGood
01-08-2010, 12:47 AM
kahlan - Welcome!

I'm a new knitter as well. I've been crocheting for just a little over a year. So I guess you could say I'm new at that as well!

Between this and ravelry.com...i've learned so very much. Enjoy!

Shandeh
01-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Welcome everyone! :cheering:

I have decided that I need a hobby and I have chosen knitting. First of all, can anyone tell me what materials I need to start off with? What is the best project to start working on for beginners.
Hi Jen, There is a link in my signature here for beginner patterns. I started off by making a small scarf and some headbands. The headbands were especially fun, because I could finish them quickly.

I also learned a lot - like how I was casting on and binding off WAY too tight. I was able to make several headbands with just one skein of yarn, so it was a great way to learn. Good luck with your knitting! :thumbsup:

Sup' everybody!!! i love this site. :inlove: You might be surprised if i told you my age
We have LOTS of knitters here, of all ages. I'm sure you'll find plenty of good knitting friends here. :hug:

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT MAKING HOLE INTO A HAT!!! PLEASE!!!
I don't have a video, but you can make a simple hole by just putting a "yarn-over" in one stitch of your knitting.

brolie
01-08-2010, 07:47 PM
We have LOTS of knitters here, of all ages. I'm sure you'll find plenty of good knitting friends here. :hug:

that is my favorite part about this site and message board.. really, ALL ages.. it is so nice to have young and older people to get advice or give advice.. i only know one knitter off-line and she can't hear too well and i think she is 103 years old now..

1happyknitter
01-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I am so happy that I stumbled upon this site!

My name is Maria and I live in Northern California and have been knitting since I was 20 -- many years ago!

Lace patterns are my favorite and although I have been knitting for years, I have yet to knit something for myself. I'm hoping that will change this year. :wink:

I look forward to getting to kniw all of you and learning some new tips as well.

Ladybiker0
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
:hair: Hello everyone I am Ladybiker and it is my first time here.
Hope all are doing well tonight.

I need to know if you can do a straight piece (knit and purl) on circular needles???

brolie
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
you can knit and purl on circular needles but it will still be round :) just make sure to keep the work straight and use stitch markers

Jeremy
01-12-2010, 12:53 PM
If you mean can you knit back and forth just like you are using straight needles, sure. Just pretend they are not linked together and use them just like straights.

:hair: Hello everyone I am Ladybiker and it is my first time here.
Hope all are doing well tonight.

I need to know if you can do a straight piece (knit and purl) on circular needles???

Jeremy
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone!:hug:

MarciT
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I inherited a ton of knitting supplies from my mother-in-law. I have never knitted before but I am willing to learn. I am looking for easy but useful patterns to start off with. I live in a craft capital when it comes to this stuff (Western NC) and have lots of friends to help out but they are mostly at work. I look forward to everything that I have to learn from here. :)

Shandeh
01-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi Marcie! :waving:
I'm in North Carolina also! If you look at the links in my signature below, you'll see "Beginner Knitting Patterns". Check those out, and get started! Good luck. :thumbsup:

bluewolfmom
01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
I am so excited to have found this site. I have been knitting for over 20 years, but have kept to fairly simple patterns. I am branching out some and getting frustrated with some new methods so I am hoping to find some help here. I have watched a few videos and they have been great help.
:woohoo:

Knutschen
01-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Hello!

I am a brand new knitter and feel quite slow. I have wanted to learn to knit for years and tried to teach myself but didn't understand written instructions very well so gave up. One day I was driving through a parking lot and saw a yarn store and gave them a call. I was happy when they gave lessons. I had my first lesson just last Thursday! My first project is a dish cloth. Simple you would think! :teehee:

I work FT as a Registered Nurse. I also love scrapbooking, photography, traveling, hiking, biking and now knitting! I have 4 furbabies - 3 cats, Pandora, Chloe & Felix, 1 pug, Phoebe.

The store gave me this website and it has been helpful watching the videos. I want to work up to knitting socks but feel I have a long way to go!

Jana

SweaterMonkey3
01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Greetings. I'm Jeanine and have been an on-and-off knitter (and some crochet) for the past several years now. My favorite things to make are sweaters! Aside from that, I like capes/shawls/neck warmers/etc.

Cheers,
:heart:

Jeremy
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Welcome to you all!:hug:

KnittinNurse
01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
I am a new member and a new knitter. I am trying to follow a pattern for a cable scarf that's very pretty from a book I got at Michael's. I have trouble reading it and need help but don't know how to post my question here. I hope someone will see this and direct me to the right way. Thank you.

Krista Jo--I know why you haven't heard of this site before: it's because I just launched it this week! LOL :) Well, I had an old site, but it only had a handful of videos, like 10 or less.

Thanks for the nice comments Krista Jo and NancyG! They make my day!

dustinac
01-30-2010, 09:54 PM
I am a new member and a new knitter. I am trying to follow a pattern for a cable scarf that's very pretty from a book I got at Michael's. I have trouble reading it and need help but don't know how to post my question here. I hope someone will see this and direct me to the right way. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to KH! Above this thread you will see a link:
Knittinghelp.com/forum>>knittinghelp.com/forum>>General Knitting>>

Click on Knittinghelp.com/forum (either one)
This will bring you to our index (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)and you will see different forums:
General Knitting
How-To Questions
Pattern Central and so on....

Click on the forum that best fits your questions prolly How To Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
or Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
You will then see Start new thread button...click that, fill in title, then type your question in the message box...click on submit new thread...:thumbsup:

There is a lot of helpful knitters here that would love to help :hug:

abaddin
02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi! I'm also a new knitter, Grandma taught me when I was a kid but back then I wanted instant gratification, now I just want finished projects. I'm so glad to have found this site, am learning just from reading other's questions. I thank you for your statement about no question being too silly, makes me feel a lot better about asking some. Thanks in advance.

dustinac
02-05-2010, 03:04 PM
:hug:Welcome to KH!

N0obKnitter
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi, my mom taught me how to knit (sorta) but I've never really gotten into it hardcore. I knit Continental style. My goal is to knit a dish washing cloth.

dustinac
02-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Welcome to KH! You can do it :happydance:

N0obKnitter
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
thanks. Just when I was getting back into it, yesterday I tripped running to catch a bus to class. I messed up my right hand pretty bad so no knitting for several days, which doubly sucks since I'm flying to Denver tomorrow and have a layover in Portland...could have done some knitting eh?

dustinac
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
thanks. Just when I was getting back into it, yesterday I tripped running to catch a bus to class. I messed up my right hand pretty bad so no knitting for several days, which doubly sucks since I'm flying to Denver tomorrow and have a layover in Portland...could have done some knitting eh?
That is so something I would do! I hope your hand heals quickly!

Lynnkay
02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
My name is Lynn, and I live on a farm in central MO. Just a few short years ago, I began knitting, and KnittingHelp.com has been a life saver. Since we live too far from the nearest town with a LYS, I can't get knitting help every time I need it. Amy's videos have helped me out too many times to count.
It's great reading the posts on this forum. Since almost all of the women in my area crochet and do not knit, I especially enjoy coming here to read & post in the knitting discussions. All of you seem so very talented, and I like seeing pictures of some of the items that you've knitted.

Shandeh
02-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :)
Looking forward to seeing photos of YOUR work, too!

KathyFL
02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Kathy and live in Florida. I have been crocheting off and on for over 35 years. My Mom was a knitter and tried to teach me how numerous times, all of which were unsuccessful. Well this past summer I was able to finally get the hang of it and am proceeding slowly. This looks like a great site!!

dustinac
02-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi KathyFL, Welcome to KH! :happydance:

RosesAreRed
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey everyone :) I'm Ashleigh. I've been knitting for about a year. I tried teaching myself out of a book and failed miserably :-P So then I came here and used the videos to learn.

AdySin
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I learned to knit when 8 yrs. old. I'm left handed, but knit right handed. I have not ever ventured beyond straight knitting and purling...to chicken to try cables or anything more "exotic." Patterns for sweaters are scary, as I don't understand the instructions.

riceygirl
02-22-2010, 05:01 PM
hello - i am a very beginning knitter and have already found fabulous help on knitting help.com
i have a pattern that says "slip stitch as if to purl". does anyone know how to do this? thank you so much in advance. i'm looking forward to learning lots! :)

SandsLVT
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey everyone!

I stumbled on this site a few days ago when I decided to teach myself how to knit.

One of my friends is an avid knitter and made these super cute fish hats. I want one, so I decided I would learn to make one for myself. My mom knows how to knit also, but we live several states apart. :(

Anyway, I am married to a Navy Chief and we have two dogs. I work as a veterinary technician at a small animal general practice. Besides learning how to knit, I enjoy running, getting together with friends, trivia nights at the local pub, karaoke, and hanging out with the doggies.

I look forward to getting to "know" everyone and learning a lot. I know there's a wealth of knowledge and wisdom here!

AdySin
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
You stick your needle (with the newly knitted stitches) into the stitch as if you were purling, but slip it off the needle and onto the needle first mentioned.

Shandeh
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
i have a pattern that says "slip stitch as if to purl". does anyone know how to do this? thank you so much in advance. i'm looking forward to learning lots! :)

Welcome to the forum!
To slip a stitch "as if to purl", just slide the stitch over to the other needle, with the right needle going into the stitch like a purl stitch (the two points facing each other).
To slip a stitch "as if to knit", slide the stitch over to the other needle, with the right needle going into the stitch like a knit stitch.

rosezamy
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
As a confirmed Luddite, I am a virgin at this. Yup - first time ever.

I love the site, and the feedback. I'm a long-time knitter, crocheter and weaver.

However, a very ill friend has asked me to make a shawl (with the button on the front) like Tasha Tudor's. Does anyone have an idea where I could purchase a pattern? I can't afford the kits I've found. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for being here - this is great!

insp30305
02-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Just a line to thank you for this site, am hoping it will be just what I've been looking for to connect to the kazillion other knitters and crafters in the world!:woot:

Shandeh
02-27-2010, 12:36 AM
However, a very ill friend has asked me to make a shawl (with the button on the front) like Tasha Tudor's. Does anyone have an idea where I could purchase a pattern?
Are you talking about the shawl pictured below? It just looks like a basic triangle shawl. You'll find several free knitting patterns for shawls here:
Free Shawl Knitting Patterns (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/shawls_stoles.php)

suzeeq
02-27-2010, 01:12 AM
This Truly Tasha's (http://www.woolywest.com/notebook_shawl.html) shawl? It's available for free.

TrishC
02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I am totally new to this site and knitting!

Thanks for the how to videos!

I just finished 2 scarves and had a lot of fun making them. I can wait to learn how to knit more things!

Rebam
02-27-2010, 11:06 PM
:woot: HELP anyone have apattern for fingerless gloves without
working on the round? BEGINNER AND NEED HELP LOL

tothaisland
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I just found this wesbsite today even though I have used knittinghelp.com
many times. I have been knitting for maybe a year or so, but one mistake and I feel like a "newbie"! Right now I am trying to finish a "watch cap" or ski cap or knitted cap. (I have heard it called all of the above.) I made an error and ripped out a row, but now I can't get all the stitches back on the needle. ( I pulled the needle out!) But the loops all curl towards the knitted side and it is difficult to get them on the needle. I am wondering if I should rip back to a purl or a knitting row. Anyone know if it is easier to put purl stitches back on or knit stitches back on the needle? :knitting:

tothaisland
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey! Thanks for this page of all the abbreviations! I printed them out since they will help me here and on the facebook page I just signed up for. I signed up for knittinghelp on facebook too and I would TOTALLY LOVE an APP on my I phone for knitting help! Wow! That would be awesome! Okay, I have been on here for hours since I just found this kewl site! I have used knittinghelp.com for "help" with my stitches, but never knew this EXTENSIVE site existed! I hope I have time to knit after surfing this page! LOL! :roflhard: Thanks mucho!

Ali0423
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Hello. I just learned to knit a little over a month ago and I am hooked. My MIL taught me and she taught me the English way of knitting. I am going to want to learn the Continental...so I will be watching your very helpful videos.

I look forward to learning some wonderful tips from all of you and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Have a wonderful evening.

Shandeh
03-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:
.......HELP anyone have a pattern for fingerless gloves without working on the round?.....
http://lisabeamer.blogspot.com/2008/01/fast-easy-fingerless-mitts.html

..........I made an error and ripped out a row, but now I can't get all the stitches back on the needle. ( I pulled the needle out!).......
Try using a smaller (thinner) knitting needle, and you'll be able to get the stitches back on a needle. Then knit them with the right size needle on the next row.

Newly
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm new to the knitting world. I have done a few scarves and now am trying a baby blanket and booties for a new grandbaby coming in July. I have read several posts and have enjoyed all the info and support offering here. I am anxious to learn new stitches and techniques. :knitting:

missilebird
03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Jen, new knitter. I've been crocheting for quite some time now and have always wanted to learn to knit, tried teaching myself from books and failed miserably. Then someone pointed me to this site, I watched the videos and voila! It clicked! It still feels awkward to me compared to crocheting, but I'm getting there.

speechiesarah
03-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Hello, all. I am VERY new. I also tried using books, and have learned some sort of stitch that I thought it was the knit stitch, but I am not exactly sure what it is! and when i thought i learned how to do the 'purl' stitch, it looks exactly the same as my 'knit' stitch! I will keep pluggin away and watching the videos.... I think I am going to need some guidance of someone who can physically be here to see my errors.... anyway, wish me luck!

speechiesarah
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
ok! i figured out what i did. Somehow, i manage to learn the purl stitch while trying to learn the knit stitch.... but i was able to do the purl with the Right needle both in front of and behind the left... either that makes me a knitting prodigy, or just really dumb (i vote the dumb) but after watching some of the videos, i FINALLY figured out the knit. YAY! :-) off to knit!

bseibenhener
03-05-2010, 11:37 PM
My name is Beverly and I live in southeast Alabama. I have been knitting since I was a teenager (40 something years - more some years than others LOL). Knitting is one of my favorite things to do - but I enjoy machine embroidery, quilting, stained glass, beading and jewelry making, Pergamano, computers, etc. I, unfortunately, have several UFOs (I am sure no one else has any - LOL). I just finished a felted tote bag and I about to start some socks. I found this site while searching for the Old Norwegian Cast-On and I am very impressed with everything I have seen. The video of the cast-on was so clear and easy to follow. Thanks for having such a wonderful site.:cheering:

loopy5
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm new here but not so new to knitting really. I learned a long time ago, then forgot about it....Scarves got boring and never really turned out so well. I picked it up again about 5 years ago and retaught myself the basics plus a few easy stitches. I've grown beyond scarves, or am trying to :) . I also just picked up crochet again, tho in the very basic stages of that....I like to move slowly (a perfectionist I guess). I'm into other things as well, jewelry making for years, bead embroidery for the last 2 yrs.
Hope to get to know some of you!

Shandeh
03-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone! :muah:
Be sure to post your questions in the "How To" section of the forum. Show us what you're working on in the "Whatcha Knitting" section. And look for patterns in "Pattern Central".

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Aknit4U
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Great site!
Just wanted to say what a fantastic website, i'm new to knitting, born in a family where almost everyone knit.

Tatra
03-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Hi! I just joined today after watching (*coughstalkingcough*) this forum for a while.

I learned how to knit last November, so I haven't been doing it that long. I've created one scarf that's filled with mistakes and several stuffed animals. Right now I'm making a baby blanket for my niece. :mrgreen:

I've just learned how to crochet this weekend, so, yeah, super new to that. But, it's been really fun learning.

Anyway, looking forward to actually interacting on this forum instead of just reading. :mrgreen:

Jeremy
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the forum!:hug: