PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Terriano
03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone. I've recently rediscovered knitting and because of a new lys close by, that offers weekly knitting/sharing meetings, I'm hooked forever (no pun intended)! Have also met a lot of wonderful new people there and hope to get you all here too. Thanks for such a welcoming, encouraging, and helpful site.

WinterRoo
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Hi,

I've been here in the past, but never registered.

I'm 32 and have been trying to knit since I was five. It's been on again off again, but while I was preggo with my first child I got back into knitting and actually finished a few SMALL projects!!! I was excited. I hope I can continue knitting with a baby around! :)

Cheers! :hug:

Shandeh
03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Welcome, welcome! :hug:

LizS
03-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Hi

I'm Liz, I'm 28 and live in Bristol, in England. My mum tried to teach me to knit years ago, but I only got the patience about 3 years ago, now I'm hooked! I'm also planning to learn crochet soon.

lucych
03-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi! I have been knitting for many, many years, but I am always open to new techniques and tips...life is a learning process, after all. I used the buttonhole instructions with great satisfaction and have better buttonholes than I have ever produced. Thanks for a great site.

capecodhelene
03-30-2010, 09:22 AM
I LOVE this site! This is my first time knitting and it has been so helpful to search for videos on such topics as 3 needle bind off and 5 stitch I cord...I watched the videos until I felt comfortable trying it
myself...hopefully, my felted bag will be a success. Thanks to you for providing such a wonderful service!

Shandeh
03-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum! :muah:

sitnknit
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Hello fellow knitters. I am so very new to threads and posts and very unsure of how to do this. And I thought I had knitting questions! This is much harder.:chair:

I actually do have a question about decreasing on a 2x2 rib sweater. Is this where I should ask or somewhere else?

Looking forward to advancing my skills in knitting and 'posting'.

Shandeh
04-01-2010, 07:11 AM
I actually do have a question about decreasing on a 2x2 rib sweater. Is this where I should ask or somewhere else?
Welcome, sitnknit! :hug:
You'll get the most answers to your question if you post it in the "How To (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)" section of the forum.

bacon1
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi everybody, I need to know what Tw2r means, does anybody have a clue what this is

Jan in CA
04-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi everybody, I need to know what Tw2r means, does anybody have a clue what this is

Please click reply when posting not "report." Report is only for spam. Thanks.

Also posting your questions in the proper forum will get you answers quicker as well as more replies. This is only an introduction thread. ;)

I found this by doing a forum search-
Tw2R = knit into front of 2nd st on left hand needle, then knit into front of 1st st, slipping both sts off needle together.

suzeeq
04-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Hi, yes this should be posted in the How To forum instead of in the Introductions thread. And the 'Report this post' button is only for when you see spam.

Tw2r is like a mini cable, knit in the 2nd st on the needle from the front, leave it there, then knit into the 1st stitch.

ArtLady1981
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM

I think it means "twist 2 right". That is a technique of sort of 'cabling' two stitches, one over the other, leaning to the right.

As you approach the 2 stitches, pull the first one (A) off the left needle, hold it to the front, knit the next (the B stitch), then knit the first (the A stitch). It 'twists' them.

indylauri
04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I have been crocheting for 30 years and recently (last week) took up knitting as well. I find it very relaxing! :-)
My current project is a prayer shawl with LionBrand Homespun in the garter stitch.
Lauri

MajikalFaeriePrincess
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello's. I'm happy to have found this site and am hoping to be able to get some advice and tips to further my knitting abilities. ^_^

tiggersmom
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm trying to learn and improve my knitting.....I'm stuck on a pattern right now though! It sounds easy enough, but just doesn't look right......Border: With A & RS facing pick up and k about 34 sts along rounded edge of ear.......what do you pick up so it makes a nice edge?

mlmunich1
04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi, I am a VERY new knitter. This is my first time trying it. I am watching the video and then try. So far, not so bad on the knitting part. The pearl part, however, has me stumped. Is there a reason why I cannot keep knitting? Do I have to pearl?

I have started over six times now because I keep messing up when I get to the pearl part.

Please help!
mlmunich1

suzeeq
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
You can knit everything, but you will only be able to do garter stitch, unless you work in the round all the time. Just practice the knitting for a week or so, then you'll get more comfortable with the needles and it'll be easier. Then try purling. The yarn moves the same direction around the needle as the knit stitch, the only difference is you poke the R needle into the stitch from the back instead of the front. Do you knit with your yarn in the right or left hand?

mchinadoll
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone. I am a new knitter. I crocheted some when I was little, and I sew alot. I have always wanted to knit, and thought it to be very complicated. I have been practicing for about a month when I came across this site. No I am in heaven:yay:. I have so many questions, and I can't wait to show off my first knitted project.

Shandeh
04-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

I'm trying to learn and improve my knitting.....I'm stuck on a pattern right now though! It sounds easy enough, but just doesn't look right......Border: With A & RS facing pick up and k about 34 sts along rounded edge of ear.......what do you pick up so it makes a nice edge?
If you post your question in the "How To" section, you'll get lots of help with this.

Hi, I am a VERY new knitter. This is my first time trying it. I am watching the video and then try. So far, not so bad on the knitting part. The pearl part, however, has me stumped. Is there a reason why I cannot keep knitting? Do I have to pearl? I have started over six times now because I keep messing up when I get to the pearl part. Please help!
mlmunich1
The purl stitch will come in time. It really makes your projects look nice to be able to use both knit and purl stitches. Otherwise, everything you knit will look the same. Purling opens up all kinds of beautiful options in your craft.

Donnaleigh
04-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I have just joined. I saw a post from a lady that was going to felt
a jacket. Did you do it? How did it turn out? I want to do one too.

Jeremy
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the Forum everyone.:hug:

ChristiBerrymomma
05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi. I'm Christi from southern Utah. I'm married to My Sweet Lover for 16 years. We have 8 kids. Ages 14 down to my 18month in a sling. I love having a large family, well kind of large, we're not the Duggars or anything. LOL But 8 is large enough for me.:thumbsup:

I love gardening. Veggies, herbs and flowers. I have a huge garden this year. I'm in a rural area so my entire front yard and side yard are gardens with a floral hedge bordering the street. It's going to be great.:yay: Can't wait for sweet corn and salsa and pumpkins...:yay:

I'm not a big animal person, though we have chickens and a stray cat that adopted us. He's an outdoors-only cat. My kids are thrilled because I would have said no if they'd asked for a cat. I just have enough mess to clean up without having to think about cat hair on my furniture.

I've been knitting for about 9 years. I'm so totally serious when I say that knitting keeps me sane when nothing else can help the psycho-momma-hormones.;)

I like to feed my family on healthy fresh foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Kind of a health nut. I also encourage my kiddos to use their minds and bodies in nature also. Which means lots or playing in nature and NOT in front of the video games/tv.

So, gracious me, that's probably more than anyone needed to know about me all in the first breath. Hope to see more of you all and get to know the regulars.:muah:

ETA:
I just saw that my post is #6523 So I'm not sure anyone will read this but if you did... Thanks.

knittingchild
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
hello,
im new to the website but i already think its great!

Shandeh
05-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Welcome to both of you! We look forward to getting to know you in the KH Forum! :hug:

TJKUHN76
05-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi, New here and new to the knitting world. My Grandmother was an avid knitter, however she was unable to teach me, by the time I was old enough and interested in knitting she was sick with Dementia. However, I have all her knitting supplies because I was the only one interested, have knitted a couple scarfs, teaching myself from books. Hoping between this website and people out there willing to assit I can become a knitter just like my grandmother and be able to make beautiful creations. So here it goes.

Knitherapist
05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I am a brand new knitter, living in South Florida! I learned to knit about a month ago through the knitting group that meets twice a month at the church where I work. This website has been a wonderful help in my learning journey. The videos are fantastic!

I have 3 children, 2 step-children, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and one wonderful husband. I am a therapist in training and knitting is MY new therapy, along with counted cross-stitch.

I look forward to learning more through this site and the knitters here as well!:notworthy:

Shandeh
05-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

MommaHawk
05-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello. I'm I just decided to take up knitting so that I could make some scarves and blankets. I tried crocheting which is pretty easy but when you're a tense person like me you just end up with curly stuff. :)

I went to WallWorld and got the Learn How To Knit kit and some purple yarn. I have to say I'm better off watching someone else do it than trying to follow a diagram in a book.

I found this site while searching for how-to videos. I liked what I saw so I thought I'd register. I look forward to learning all about knitting.

Holly

Shandeh
05-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting, Holly!
:hug:

centralohiobinkypatrol
05-17-2010, 01:40 PM
HI,

My name is Lisa and I live in Newark, Ohio. I personally am a quilter at heart but I have recently gotten interested in knitting again. I enjoy it but donít have much confidence in my abilities. Also, Iím hoping to learn how to crochet eventually. I can tell already that I'm probably going to be as addicted to yarn as I am to fabric!!! :heart:

I recently started a local chapter of the national nonprofit organization Binky Patrol. Our chapterís name is Central Ohio Binky Patrol. We make binkies for children of all ages. A binky is a blanket that is sewn, quilted, knitted, crocheted, or even no-sew tied fleece. As long as it is homemade and soft it is perfect! Our chapterís goal is to ensure that every child in foster care in Ohio have a binky of their own. Itís a big dream but with lots of help we can make it a reality. I need any help that anyone can offer for my charity.

I think this site looks awesome and I will probably be learning alot. I've already watched lots of the videos and figured out that I was casting on wrong. Now I'm doing it right and it looks so much better! I'm anxious to get to know everyone on the boards and thanks for welcoming me!

Bye,
Lisa

JoB
05-21-2010, 09:52 PM
I am a relatively new knitter. Have knitted all the caps and scarves that mu family can stand. two large afghans done and am now looking for a new "big needle ( 8 or better) challenge. Simple patterns no more than 8 repeats.

badboy1cdx
05-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi all!

My name is Eric and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. I'm 26 years old, a full-time student and a veteran of the US Navy.

I was originally taught how to knit as a kid, but never really went anywhere with it. I recently "re-learned" how to knit a little over a year ago. I had some major stresses in my life at that time and really appreciated the therapeutic and meditative value I got out of knitting. I've since made a couple pairs of socks, several hats and am currently working on a scarf and a sweater. I've also just started learning to crochet and am working on my first project for that - a nifty looking doily. This site has been an invaluable resource to me lately and the forums here are great. You are all so nice and helpful.

See ya a-round! :-P

Bebe
05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi there

Not sure whether I have done this the right way as I don't often use forums. I'm Kathryn, and I'm a compulsive knitter. I learned as a child and took it up again 2 years ago when my daughter needed a wrap cardigan for ballet - I wish I'd come back earlier, it is such a relaxing passtime. Socks are my thing at the moment (is there anything that can compare to handknitted socks:heart: :heart: ) but I'm also a would-be lace knitter - I keep collecting beautiful lace weight yarns so when I have a moment (:roflhard: ) I plan to start a shawl. The problem is life gets in the way of the knitting!
At present I am training to be a teacher and I work in a prison teaching numeracy skills to offenders.
I'm located in the UK, I'm looking forward to reading some of the threads and chatting.

Kathryn

BTW The videos on the site are fab, I have mastered lots of knit stitches because of them so Many Thanks!!!!:cheering:

GinaG
05-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Hello fellow knitters,

My name is Gina. I am a full time student at Baylor University and am majoring in vocal performance. Even though music is my first love, knitting is definitely coming up close behind. I taught myself to knit about 3 years ago, and have picked it up pretty seriously in the last six months. That is, as seriously as a self-taught, 20-year-old, knitter can. So far, I have knitted little things such as scarfs and hats, afghans and socks, and now mittens.

I hope to keep progressing my knitting skills, with the help of all of you! This seems like a fabulous community of knitters, and I will enjoy learning from all of you, beginners to all of veterans, out there! :woohoo:

Loopdeloop
05-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I am new!

Learned to knit when I was 8, and then dropped it because something else caught my attention. Now I'm trying to get back into it 20 years later. I actually was a decent knitter way back then, but alas, I have lost all my talent and am hoping to reclaim it.

I imagine I'll be asking lots of questions for awhile.

Thanks!

Knitcracker
05-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I have recently picked up my needles again and am so excited to say that I love to knit! Knittinghelp.com has been the instrument through which I learned to knit at all. There were no people around me to teach me. I have since recommended this site to near a hundred people. I think the maker with my heart...

Ok enough mush...lol My name is Tiffany. I am a jokey person and I really like to make people feel comfortable and laugh. I have 4 children that I homeschool here in Mannheim, Germany. My husband is in the Army and we've been stationed here for 6 years now. We will be here for another 3 years before we leave. Oh I am now 37 years old.

I am currently making "Sheldon the turtle" by Knitpicks.com, for my youngest daughters birthday in a couple of weeks. I had to fall to knithelp to tell me how to make 2 of the stitches and all came out beautifully. Sheldon has costumes because his shell is removable so I'm still making some costumes and a second turtle so my daughter may play with a friend.

I'm not sure what else to write here so I'll end this. I'm happy to be a knitter! I'm SO happy to see that there are more knitters than meets the eye.

Blessings to you all
Tiffany

Shandeh
05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome to our wonderful forum, everyone!
:hug:
My name is Eric and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. I'm 26 years old, a full-time student and a veteran of the US Navy......
Hi Eric! Always nice to have another guy knitter in our group. Hope you stick around, to share your ideas and knowledge. Looking forward to getting to know you in the forum. :)

........I'm Kathryn, and I'm a compulsive knitter.
Hi Kathryn! Nice to meet another knitter "across the pond". I hope you enjoy our little friendly forum. :heart:

......My name is Gina. I am a full time student at Baylor University and am majoring in vocal performance.
Hi Gina! I'm a musician too. I've been a church organist/pianist for the past 30 years, and am currently teaching piano to about 25 students. Welcome!

I am new!...........Learned to knit when I was 8....
Welcome! Nice to have you back in the knitting world. What took you so long? Ha! :teehee:

.......I have recently picked up my needles again and am so excited to say that I love to knit!
Hi Tiffany! I taught myself to knit on the internet as well. Isn't it wonderful having all these knitting videos to watch whenever we want?! I look forward to getting to know you in our forum.

Knitcracker
05-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Hi Tiffany! I taught myself to knit on the internet as well. Isn't it wonderful having all these knitting videos to watch whenever we want?! I look forward to getting to know you in our forum.

Yes, it is so wonderful the things we can learn from the internet! Do we really NEED school anymore? lol

Shandeh
05-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Yes, it is so wonderful the things we can learn from the internet! Do we really NEED school anymore? lol
Funny! It seems that way sometimes, doesn't it?
This new world is a completely different place from when I was growing up. Everything that took talent was a mystery, and you had to have private lessons to "get it". Now, we can watch others using their talent on the internet....for free!

wbch5
05-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I found a set of needles and some yarn at work and want to pick up the habit. I also am reading the Blossom Street Books which includes a knitting class in the story. Each book gives a pattern to what the characters are knitting and I want to do that. But i have a question,,,,can I knit and not purl.?? thank you in advance for your help and comments.:thumbsup:

MellieThePooh
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Howdy! It's been awhile, so I'm reintroducing myself. I found KH three years ago and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Where had knitting been all my life? Who knew I'd love it so much? Thank you KH! Then I had a baby a year and a half ago, and since then I've only knit a few soakers; but I stumbled across the Pagosa Fiber Festival this last weekend (give it a go next year if you're in SW CO!) and thought I'd died a second time and gone to heaven...sinking my fingers into alpacas, sniffing the wool rovings, seeing the angora bunnies and goats...oh geez. How'd I go so long without knitting? So I'm back! And I need to learn how to spin.

Shandeh
06-03-2010, 09:53 PM

.....i have a question,,,,can I knit and not purl.?? thank you in advance for your help and comments.:thumbsup:
If you only use the knit stitch, all of your finished items will be garter stitch if you knit straight (with 2 needles).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/3132665712_7f5dfa7599_o.jpg
If you knit "in the round", all of your items will be stockinette stitch.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/3131838933_cd7fd7c0be_o.jpg
You'll eventually get bored with those two fabrics, and wish you could do more interesting designs. It pays to learn both the knit and purl stitches.

Howdy! It's been awhile, so I'm reintroducing myself........How'd I go so long without knitting? So I'm back!
Welcome back to knitting! It's a very satisfying craft. cloud9

bowl510
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Linda and I have been knitting seriously for 2 months. I have done 2 scarves and a couple of dishclothes. Working on a towel for my daughter for her swim team. I am married and have 2 kids and 4 cats. My mom tried to teach me how to knit and crochet when I was younger and never had the patience to do it. I found this website about a month ago and think it is wonderful. Will post the picture of the towel when I get it done. Happy knitting everyone.

Attilash
06-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I am 38 and from Italy, and since I have found you I have become an addict.
My mom has taught me to knit when I was a child, 8 or so, and she taught me the French style - passing on the one herself, my Gran and my aunties have always used. Then somehow I lost it because it needed all the patience of the world and I did not have it! I learned back to knit in my teens, on my own: only, it was so weird because my works never actually corresponded to the pattern I was following. And people used to say that I knitted in a "strange way": this tends to be very annoying, when all the female members (and they are many) of your family are saying it ...:)
So I stopped again.
Then, like one year ago, having found out that my soon-to-be mother in law (I'm getting married in October :woot: ) is a super knitter, I took out AGAIN my old needles, bought some yarn, started knitting again, again had to come to terms with the fact that patterns did not fit, again become frustrated... then, on a boring day I surfed the net, found YOU and my life as a knitter started anew :woohoo: ! becaouse through you I understood that I am a Combination style knitter! I am NOT weird! oh JOY! I think I will remember that afternoon of elation for the rest of my life! Since then, I have knitted furiously, four pairs of baby boots and three baby hats - now I am trying a baby cardigan. Thanks to you and your tips and links I have learned how to increase and decrease correctly, and I am SOOOOOOOOO happy :knitting: :woot: :knitting:
So a HUGE thank you for your fantastic website and for making me happy!

Shandeh
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Welcome, welcome! :hug:
We are all excited knitters, and look forward to getting to know you better! :)

ewalker
06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Usually I knit items that do not require specific gague, like afaghans. I want to knit socks but I need to know if you knit in stockinette stitch or something else. Can someone help me out?:p :p

Shandeh
06-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Usually I knit items that do not require specific gague, like afaghans. I want to knit socks but I need to know if you knit in stockinette stitch or something else. Can someone help me out?:p :p
A basic sock is knit in stockinette stitch. That's where the word "stockinette" came from. Originally it was called "stocking stitch", because it's used to make stockings. :thumbsup:

If you want to learn to knit socks for the first time, there is a great free tutorial online by Silver (who used to be a moderator here in our forum). Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)

Meltem
06-13-2010, 03:41 PM
hi from Turkey!!!
I hope I will spend good time on this site:heart:

smockinglady
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Amy, Wonderful site! I'm in rural TX and a night owl...great to find a place for when I have problems with a technique or pattern at 2 a.m. Thanks for all your hard work!
Barbara/smockinglady

kittykins
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I have been knitting on and off most of my life so I pretty much feel comfortable with the basics. What I'm brand spankin' new at is the computer! When I found this site I just knew I had to be a part of it.
Right now I've been making a lot of scarf sets, (matching scarf, cap, and hand huggers). Mostly with med. wt. yarns. Recently I found a pattern in one of my knitting books that I wanted to try. Called "Lace and Fans". At first glance I thought it would be beyond my limited skills, but after reading the instructions more closely I thought....hey I can handle this! Then it was off to Michael's and I found this micro fiber yarn. Very light wt. with a sort of "sheen" to it. As it turned out the yarn and pattern are perfect for each other:inlove:!
I will say it's going nicely, but I do NOT work on this scarf when I'm tired, or feel I can't give it my full attention. Need to be focused! The yarn is very slippery on the needles,(don't want to drop a stitch), and don't want to get off count.
I am so happy to be here and I think I will find myself attempting more advanced knitting stuff with all this help and support around me!:woot:
Besides my knitting I'll try to also improve my computer skills. Can only get better, right?
KH you're fantastic!
Jeanie in TX

Shandeh
06-15-2010, 02:55 AM
Welcome to our forum! :)

Barbara, I'm a night owl too. Don't know if it's a sleeping disorder, or just hot flashes. :teehee: You'll probably find me online a lot at night.

Jeanie, you might want to try different knitting needles that will grip that slippery yarn a little better. When I am knitting with slippery yarn, I like using plastic or wooden needles.

FaithfulMormon
06-17-2010, 09:32 AM
So let me give you some background how I got here.

Yesterday, I went to Walmart to look around after putting my money in the bank (YAY PAYDAY!) and thought about how my wife likes to crochet. I decided to be different. I wanted to knit. So I picked up a few items.

A size 8 set of bamboo knitting needles, a skein of yarn, yarn needles, and two books : "Knitting Made Easy" by Red Heart Yarns, and "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting" by Leisure Arts.

In the "KME" I saw a beautiful baby blanket (rated beginner, pgs. 32-33) and decided to make it for my newborn niece.

So here I am. A guy who wants to learn to knit. I was always raised that guys weren't supposed to do any of those things but like other things in life, I wasn't the typical guy.

My name is Brian. I am 23 years old and a newlywed (two months as of yesterday) to the love of my life whom I met at Church two months after I became a member. Yes, I'm LDS (Mormon), and wouldn't change it for anything. I am very active in the Church and go to the Temple as much as I can.

Anyways on less of a religious note, I am hard-of-hearing and wear a hearing aid in my right ear (completely deaf in left). I enjoy listening to music, shopping, taking nice walks with family and friends, visiting family and friends, reading my Scriptures, and just enjoying life.

If there's anything more you would like to know, feel free to ask.

Jeremy
06-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Welcome Brian.

FaithfulMormon
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Jeremy!

CuteNeedles
06-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I saw a knitting help video on You Tube, and decided to join this forum.

I'm married, grown children, grandchildren, and enjoying life.

I like to garden, read history books, knit, and sew. I do a lot of knitting for charities.

kittykins
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Shandeh thanks for the advise! You were so right about switching to different needles. I went out and bought a set in bamboo. What a difference it makes! Now that my stitches aren't slipping and sliding around so much I can concentrate more on the pattern, and not be worrying about dropping stitches. As a newcomer I'm finding I love this site more and more everyday! :woohoo: Jeanie

gypsyqueen64
06-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Hello, my name is Kay, and I'm the only one in the world who does not understand how to knit! I've been crocheting and sewing for decades and have done quite a few nifty macrame projects. But, for the life of me, I've spent the last 2 days trying to learn how to knit through watching online videos, surfing different knitting websites, and looking through stacks of craft books with knitting instruction and I still don'[t get it. I found out there are different types of casting on, and I use the single cast on method. I understand the knit stitch and the purl stitch, but when I attempt to do them, my stitches are either too tight or too loose, and always inconsistent. By the 2nd row, the stitches are so tight, I can't maneuver the needles and I have take the yarn off the needles and star all over again. I'm on my 35th try and growing frustrated. Is there an easier way or do I just limit myself and use one of those little plastic looms like 5 year olds use? I feel like such an idiot!

jamespanda
06-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Hi everyone I'm James! I'm living in Shanghai, China right now and I've been exploring the likes of yak yarn!

Shandeh
06-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

.........So here I am. A guy who wants to learn to knit.........My name is Brian. I am 23 years old and a newlywed..
Thanks for joining the forum, Brian! You'll find several other male knitters here, and they will certainly be glad to have a fellow knitter in their midst. :)

I saw a knitting help video on You Tube, and decided to join this forum........I do a lot of knitting for charities.
:thumbsup: Excellent! You'll be glad to know that we have a section in the forum just for charity knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29). Check it out!

Shandeh thanks for the advise! You were so right about switching to different needles..
Yay! So glad you found the right needles for your project, Jeannie! :woohoo:

Hello, my name is Kay, and I'm the only one in the world who does not understand how to knit! ......
Don't be discouraged, my friend. A lot of new knitters knit very tight at first. I was one of them! Eventually, it will get better, and you'll be able to let the yarn flow more easily. When I first started knitting, I held my yarn in a death grip, and the stitches were VERY hard to slide on the needle. Now, my stitches are looser, and much easier to work with. Just take your time and keep practicing. It will be worth it in the end. :wink:

Hi everyone I'm James! I'm living in Shanghai, China right now and I've been exploring the likes of yak yarn!
Hi James! I had a small bit of yak yarn once, but it was very coarse. Made a super strong yarn! Hopefully, yours is nicer than what I had.

anninatl
06-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi, my name is Ann and after a few months of thinking of trying knitting, I finally decided to start. A person recommended this site, and I was so excited to start trying after watching the videos that my very first attempt was on bamboo skewers with twine, lol!!

I think I've been at this for almost a month. I knit both my kids a "scarf" (neither one was actually long enough) and then I knit my mother in law an actual one (which turned out nicely).

My husband is just excited that I have a hobby - besides being on the computer all the time :D

Mistys
06-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey all! My name is Kelly and I love your site here!! It's fantastic!!
I also belong to ravelry so check me out if you're in the neighborhood!

:knitting:

dawn1838
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi, My name is Dawn. I love to TRY to knit. I bought a book "I Taught Myself To Knit" about 2 years ago and have been clicking away ever since. Knitting is addictive! I am not good at it but I can do the simple projects. I think this forum will help me improve. I am thrilled to have found this site!:woot:

snelly
06-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm Snelly thats not my real name but all the user names that contain my name seem to be taken. This is definitely a great place to get help and meet other knitters.

Knittingangel77
06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Hello, everyone. I just started knitting a couple of days ago. I've crocheted for a year now and wanted to try knitting. It's slow going. It seems I knit english. I can't knit like I crochet.

Thank you Amy for making this site. It has been so helpful.:knitting:

Shandeh
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :hug:

GeeBee29
07-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi, I just joined this site. I learned to knit and crochet when I was 8, but there have been long lapses between projects. I recently started knitting again and am having some problems, so expect to see me in the "How To" forum very soon!:mrgreen:

I moved to San Diego in 2009 from Washington, D.C. and am having fun discovering new shops here.

ShanaHoo
07-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Hello forum!

My name is Shana. I've been crocheting since I was 8 and knitting since I was 19. I spontaneously decided to teach myself to knit during final exams fall semester of my second year of college (what can I say, I'm a productive procrastinator). I found this website and it really helped me out. You are just now meeting me but I feel like I already know everyone because I've been stalking this forum for 4 years (I couldn't think of a username when I wanted to register, so I never did). Anyway... yay knitting!

tena
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi, I'm Tena, I have tired to knit a few times but get frustrated when I drop a stitch so kept giving up. I have successfully made two dishcloths so far. I can cast on and knit so far. (I'm a long time crocheter). This site is great thank you

catsonmars87
07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
My name is Denise, and I've been knitting for over a year now. I'm absolutely addicted to it, spending all of my money of yarn and needles! I often get in trouble at work or school because I'm always pulling out my latest project during every free moment. I always have yarn and needles with me wherever I go. I recently got into crochet and am currently obsessed with crocheting hats with lots of bobbles. I dont know many knitters and wish I did - which is why I'm here. :)

pheonixphire318
07-11-2010, 08:44 AM
hey tena! you sound just like me.
the way i taught myself to knit was, i read how to do a k and then how to do a p and i bought a ball of yarn and would k one row and p one row until the end of the ball..then i would unravel it all and do it all over again..i did this for about 3 months..then i recently ventured out and tried a pattern. i have since made 3 wrist bands and 2 snoods!
i used to get fristrated when my count was off or had dropped a stitch or added one..but i've figured out how to corrct that now lol. i can follow a pattern pretty well, but i really need to work on my tenion.
i've been lurkin this site for a few monthes and i have finally decided to join and be more active.
this really is a great site!

pheonixphire318
07-11-2010, 08:44 AM
i am Pheonix Phire btw lol

Shandeh
07-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Welcome to all of you! :)

I learned to knit by watching all the free videos on the internet (like the ones on our site, created by Amy Finlay). It was much easier to learn this way. SO glad the internet is here now.

Looking forward to getting to know you all in the KH Forum.

knitrona
07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi! I'm Rona. I started knitting when I was on bed rest with my first child. I'm still at it 6 years later. I'm not as good as I'd hoped. Thank goodness for Knittng Help!!!

knittingfor7
07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
hi, Amanda here from Iowa... married and mother and knitter to 5 small children. Love knitting but dont have enough time to knit everything i want!!!! I learned to knit from this website, LOVE it!!:woot:

mmc1103
07-25-2010, 12:06 PM
This is my first time visiting this site, hope this works. I have not knitted in years & would like to start up again. I have a simple pattern with the direction: *knit into the stitch on the row below. I do not know what this means. Can you help?

suzeeq
07-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Is it for an increase, or for a rib type pattern? If it's an increase, there's a video on the Increases page under KRL. If it's not, then on the Glossary page you'll find it under k-b.

Welcome.

Persephone
07-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Hellooo! My name is Persephone, and I want to thank you very much for this site; I have learned muchly from it. I've knitted before, but it's just been very simple knitting: scarves of ribbing basically. I've done more crocheting (someone taught me how around January, and I really enjoy it), but I want to try more things and become more knowledgeable in the world of knitting. I watched all the vids on this site, and they were very helpful, so now I need actually do more knitting projects.
Lately I've been really enjoying crocheting amigurumi and browsing ravelry like crazy. I keep coming across knitted things I like, and I really don't want to limit myself to just crochet. So here I am.
:D

Persephone
07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
And, btw, thank you very much for providing this place to ask questions; I definitely have a question! I'm gonna post it in Pattern Central right now.

Shandeh
07-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum, everyone!
:muah:

Penelope
07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone. I've been checking out different knitting forums to see where I feel comfy, and this one is it...YEA!!! :yay: :woot:

I'm not a big knitter, not yet at least, honestly, who knows where I'll go with it, but I decided it would be fun to try something new.

I learned from my German mother as a child, messed with it off and on over the years, and I was able to teach my kids enough to do projects for classes (seriously, two college students who did textiles and needed to knit.)

We just got a new puppy a couple weeks ago and the days of spending hours in my sewing room kinda got shot, so I decided to knit.

I've done a couple pairs of slippers, an eyeglass case (out of sock yarn) and am now doing a bag with cables. I did the cables wrong so have already ripped it out to redo.

I have no stress over completing anything yet, I want to do things right and use this time to learn.

So that's that. My sewing blog is in my profile I believe. The photo (and user name) is that of my new puppy. I have 3 cats too. Sounds like a typical knitter to me.

Annette (Penelope's mom) cloud9

sgtpam
07-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone. I've been checking out different knitting forums to see where I feel comfy, and this one is it...YEA!!! :yay: :woot:

Annette (Penelope's mom) cloud9

Welcome.......you've definitely found the right "comfy" knitting forum...not to mention (why do we use that phrase when we are obviously about to do just that?:shrug: ) the most helpful:knitting:.

Just so you know...we love pictures and no question is to silly to ask...speaking first-hand (I've asked my share:teehee: )

purlnpotterytoo
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm knitting a lace hat and the directions calls for
K3-into-3 = k3tog, (yo,k1) in same st as k3 tog. So you sart with 3 sts then end up with 3 sts.
the pattern is from SeaterBabe.com Romantic lace beret

Thanks if anyone can help

suzeeq
08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Right, you knit 3 tog but leave the old st on the needle, then wrap the yarn around the needle and k1 into the st again.

jra
08-14-2010, 11:10 PM
:aww: I am Julie, living in Sydney, Australia. I joined the forum to help me improve my knitting. Hope it will be fun! my first question is does doing cabling use up more yarn than straight stocking stitching?

Tinkysmom
08-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi, I hope I am doing this right. I deleted what was on this page bacause I couldn't find out where to write.

I have known how to knit since I was a little girl and have always enjoyed "trying to make something". Now I want to really learn how to make something. I am excited to try new projects.

I am working on a fingerless glove right now and have learned how to do the cable stitch. It looks so hard but once I was shown how to do the stitch it became very easy. i love the look. I plan on using that stitch on some other projects.

Well, so long and thanks for letting me join.

Tinkysmom:wink:

sgtpam
08-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi, I hope I am doing this right. I deleted what was on this page bacause I couldn't find out where to write.

I have known how to knit since I was a little girl and have always enjoyed "trying to make something". Now I want to really learn how to make something. I am excited to try new projects.

I am working on a fingerless glove right now and have learned how to do the cable stitch. It looks so hard but once I was shown how to do the stitch it became very easy. i love the look. I plan on using that stitch on some other projects.

Well, so long and thanks for letting me join.

Tinkysmom:wink:

Welcome! :happydance: This is a great place to hang out and an even better place when you're ready for your next knitting challenge or need help learning new techniques. If you can't get it here...we have the absolutely best mods on the boards. They're awesome at finding answers for us. :notworthy:

pfrye
08-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi,

My name is Peggy. I am interested in posting a question about a problem with intarsia - how do I post a new question?

Thanks - Peggy

suzeeq
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi Peggy. You would want to go to the How To Forum and above all the threads is a large orange button that says 'Start a New Thread'.

cutshallest04
08-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi!! I brand spankin new to knitting!! Just practicing my cast on right now. Quick question - what do you do with the hanging yarn when you start your first line of stitches after cast on?
Thanks!!
Melissa:muah:

kittykins
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Melissa!
Welcome to KH! I'm kinda new here too, but not new to knitting. However, I don't consider myself an expert. My advise would be...don't worry about the tail for now. When you've finished knitting a piece, thread the tail onto a tapestry/darning/or knitting needle and weave the tail,in and out of a few stitches,(about an inch), on the wrong side. Then snip off the excess.
You might want to post this question over again in say, "General Knitting". (Start a new thread.)I just don't think it's getting enough exposure up here in "Introduce Yourself". You are going to find that everyone is so friendly here and soooo helpful! Never hesitate to ask a question, no matter how silly you might think it sounds. NO SUCH THING AS A SILLY OR STUPID QUESTION HERE! I'm sure you'll get more advise from much more experienced knitter than me.
You are going to love knitting! The best of luck to you! :knitting: Jeanie

suzeeq
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Melissa, welcome.

You can leave the tail hanging for now, if it's a bit long then wind it up a little.

kittykins
09-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Hi again Melissa!
I reread the reply I sent you and thought I should clarify something so as not to confuse you. When I was talking about threading the tail onto a tapestry/ darning/or KNITTING needle...instead of KNITTING I should have said "yarn needle". Oh silly me. Of course knitting needles are the ones you're knitting with!:aww: You'll be a pro in no time at all.
Jeanie

deeklaver
09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I am Dee. Self taught knitter who was just informed that I knit inside out!! I did try to do it the wright way, but. it doesn't work for me. I've been knitting 2 years. Know the basics and can even knit a sock, no I don't do two unless they are baby socks I have a beautiful warm red sock all sockinett stitch, waiting for a match!! It will be a year old this coming January. Problem? I can't find the pattern I used. truth be told, my dog actually did eat it. I have learned to laminate my patters or else!! :teehee:

MissRandom
09-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Heya I'm MissRandom :D :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :X: :X: :knitting: :blooby:

Jeremy
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the Forum!:hug:

hyperactive
09-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi deeklaver!
that is one of the funniest introductions I have read here! Welcome and have fun.
Try knitting patterns that are available online and bookmark them or download them to a dog save environment. Then they will get a match eventually.... or you get a new excuse :)

Have fun here!

LittleMissSheena
09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Im so happy I found this site I am a beginner knitter and I already have found you guys to be a great help! Can't wait to complete my first project.:woot:

adagioinb
09-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Hello! I'm Ruth. I taught myself to knit when a teenager, then taught myself to crochet. Except for a brief period about 20 years ago, I've been just crocheting for about 40 years (except for a dozen year hiatus while I did needlepoint). Anyway, I started crocheting again in 2007. And a couple of months ago started knitting again. I'm retired Air Force, now managing a self-storage place. One grown son, at home. I also lead a prayer shawl type group in my church, and sing in a community choir. I was happy to find this wonderful community of knitters, and have already (re)learned much of what I'd forgotten.
Since I've seen at least one other 'Ruth' here, I am....

adagioinb, aka Ruth in East Texas

AIR
09-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice to meet you all! I'm Inna. I taught myself to knit when a teenager, then decided to focus on the effective simple models. Most of them can be knit within few days. I'm working in IT company. Just moved to New York. I was lucky to find this wonderful community of knitters. Hope I can help others and meet friends here:hug: .

I've addded several photos of the most simple projects:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53967420@N03/4994651628/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53967420@N03/4994651598/

And several more difficult:

https://sites.google.com/site/airknittingfashionstyle/

mejs22
09-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I've never joined something like this forum and I really can't tell you just how exciting I think it will be!!!!!! I answered someone's quilting question about 15 years ago and 5 years ago she actually had the GUTS to leave her nice home in FLORIDA and come up and quilt/talk/stay with me for 3 weeks in NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's my kinda gal! And she is a dumpling!!!! Now, on with knitting dumplings!!!!!! I've given up the quilting that really didn't catch me very much, and I'm back to knitting!!!!! I've knitted since I was 3 years old and I'm now 63! (I keep forgetting just how "old" I am). I don't do really complicated stuff as I get bored out of my hmmmmm, but I now have a GREAT grandbaby and I plan on knitting my fingers off!!!!! She's all the way up in ALASKA!!!!! I have 3 kids and they are spread across the map! I've got a kid in FLORIDA and one in Massachusetts that I just don't hear from that much, but that's okay - she has a very busy job to keep up with.

Now, I'm working on mittens for my Alaskan GRANDchildren (3) where I use the inset thumbs (I HATE those thumbs that just stick out the sides!) and along with making them out of washable wool, I also add pieces of carded wool pieces I knit in here and there on each mitten. My grandsons lose their mittens every year as the other kids in the schools don't have any like theirs and somehow they just disappear! Oh, well. I'm thinking about just sending the pattern to my daughter up there and have her just post it on the bulletin board in the school hallways! Let the mothers knit THEIR fingers off, too!

I'm finishing up a "daisy" pattern sweater for my daughter up there and it is absolutely gorgeous (even if I do say so myself!). I usually get too bored over patterns, but this one was exciting enough to keep me going to the very end!!!!

I can't wait to hear from you! If you prefer, I'll put my e-mail name out here, too (mejs22@yahoo.com) as sometimes people prefer "silence." Take care and "I'M GLAD I FOUND YOU!"
:cheering:

kittykins
09-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi mejs! Welcome to KH! I'm sort of a newbie here too. Turned 65 last Dec. so have reached my "elite" Medicare status:cheering: ! Like you I truly enjoying knitting. I would knit for my grandsons, but since I'm down here in TX there isn't a big need for sweaters, mittens, scarves etc. Well you are going to love it here and will find out quickly how friendly and helpful everyone is.

JammieJo123
09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Hello ladies,
My name is Joanne and I live about 40 miles Southwest of Chicago, IL with my husband and 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies. I have been knitting about 1 month or less and am taking a beginners knitting class at our local park district. I am excited to learn how to knit and once I get the hang of it, I hope to make lots of beautiful knitted items for my family, friends and dogs. :) I do belong to another knitting forum on Yahoo Groups called Rachels Knitting Room and it has been interesting so far. Looking forward to hearing all about your knitting experiences and seeing any photos you post. :knitting:
Joanne P.

mejs22
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Good to hear from you!!!! And too hot down there for knitting sweaters and things? Ha! I tried knitting a pair of COTTON socks for my son who lives in southern Florida. HE thought in northern ways and not his southern ways and figured what I had knitted was something that needed to be worn when he came up to Vermont and went skiing!!!! I told him he was really thinking haywire! I had thought of HIS heat and made him cool socks and on #1 and #2 needles. Need to tell you, I ain't doin' that again!!!! I'm lucky to deal with #5 needles for Alaskan mittens!!!!

I'm finishing up that Alaskan sweater and I have a pair of Alaskan mittens started, too. I'm preparing for Christmas!!!! I opened up a chest and found what was left over from my knitting too much, last year, for Christmas!! I have hats to sent with the mittens, too!!!!!!

Hope you're having a really :yay: happy time knitting!!!!

Shari (mejs22)

Hi mejs! Welcome to KH! I'm sort of a newbie here too. Turned 65 last Dec. so have reached my "elite" Medicare status:cheering: ! Like you I truly enjoying knitting. I would knit for my grandsons, but since I'm down here in TX there isn't a big need for sweaters, mittens, scarves etc. Well you are going to love it here and will find out quickly how friendly and helpful everyone is.

mejs22
09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey, kiddo!

I'm new to the Forum, but I've been knitting for YEARS!!!! BUT.... I just learned three years ago, how to knit in the MAGIC LOOP METHOD. Have someone teach you that and you'll throw away any other needles you might use - it keeps you from losing a needle and it helps you make things in the round (NO SEAMS!!) I think you'll enjoy it!!!!!

Happy :woot: knitting!!!!

Shari (mejs22 from New Hampshire)[

QUOTE=JammieJo123;1300775]Hello ladies,
My name is Joanne and I live about 40 miles Southwest of Chicago, IL with my husband and 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies. I have been knitting about 1 month or less and am taking a beginners knitting class at our local park district. I am excited to learn how to knit and once I get the hang of it, I hope to make lots of beautiful knitted items for my family, friends and dogs. :) I do belong to another knitting forum on Yahoo Groups called Rachels Knitting Room and it has been interesting so far. Looking forward to hearing all about your knitting experiences and seeing any photos you post. :knitting:
Joanne P.[/QUOTE]

Shandeh
09-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :hug:

.........Now, I'm working on mittens for my Alaskan GRANDchildren (3) where I use the inset thumbs (I HATE those thumbs that just stick out the sides!) and along with making them out of washable wool, I also add pieces of carded wool pieces I knit in here and there on each mitten.......
I've seen some of those "thrummed" mittens before - they look so WARM! :heart:

MrKnits
09-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Hi, just started knitting, but I'm a guy sorry. :aww:

kittykins
09-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Mrknits! Welcome to KH! I'm wondering who sparked your interest in learning how to knit...wife, friend, relative? Hey you're not alone. There are some great male knitter members here. You've come to the right place for any help you might need, and you'll find you are surrounded by friends. Good luck with your knitting!:guyknitting: Jeanie in TX

flyred77
10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi there,

I am so looking forward to getting to know you and thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. A long time ago someone taught me the very basics of knitting; meaning I held 2 needles and made the basic knit stitch. Until recently, I didn't even know what "Purl" meant!

So I am getting ready to pick the needles up again and give it a try. I have crocheted on and off for over thirty years, but I feel lost when it comes to knitting. The little bit I have tried recently showed me that any muscle memory I might have built years ago is long gone. In essence I am a new to knitting.

Tomorrow I will have time to watch videos, finally! and then the questions will be coming your way!

My short term goal, is to knit my new puppy a simple sweater.

So thanks now for the post that have already been made and for those to come. I am already learning a lot!

Marietta in MO

DeafKnitter
10-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I'm a 23-year old guy who happens to be a newbie knitter. I am deaf, of course, but can hear well with my hearing aid but use sign language, lip reading, and speech to communicate.

I am married to my lovely wife and best friend, Laura. We've been married for almost six months now.

I am a newbie even though I've had some experience in knitting odds and ends that just went haywire and will R.I.P. (literally; they were ripped) and it's all clean slate from here.

I'm hoping to soon buy the Knit Picks Zephyr Options set and some accessories and yarn get started on some Christmas presents, not sure what I'm going to make yet, though.

Can't wait to get to know y'all.

hyperactive
10-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi Brian!
welcome to the forum!

We all had some "please do not dig up ever"-knitting corpses under the bed or elsewhere... that is part of the learning experience.
But there is a lot to explore out there and I hope you will have fun with learning more and more. It challenges me every day of my knitting life (and makes sure I will not get bored).

Some videos you might find helpful for checking up on basics and learning advanced tricks and techniques are the videos of Garnstudio, a Norwegian company with a vast selection of patterns. Their videos are something like a zen-experience for me and I lately bought the green yarn they entrance me with (yes, I got hooked).
Since they need to provide the videos for a large number of language the videos themselfes are all without sound, showing just the things to do and focussing on the knitting. Written text above the videos tells you all you need to know.
Maybe that is a helpful tool because it does not make any difference in use for me or for you and you don't even need your hearing aids.
I am a visual learner translating things into my own words and rythms mostly and therefore like the "no-babling"-videos a lot.

Here is the link to the overview page there:

http://garnstudio.com/lang/en/video.php

Have fun in the forum and ask anything you like. Almost always someone will know the exact thing to do!

roseb
10-03-2010, 07:29 PM
thanks to knittinghelp.com I AM A KNITTER
learn every thing on this site

now am looking to knit loafers ,cant fine any free pattern...any one know any

suzeeq
10-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Welcome roseb! You may get more replies for your request for a pattern by posting to the Pattern Central Forum.

Jan1ce
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie to the site but have been lurking for a while. I love how everything is so well laid out and you can find help on just about everything. I've posted one or two threads and everyone has been so helpful.

My name is Jan and I live in the heart of Sherwood Forest, England, I'm 58 years young and have just acquired a beautiful grandson so the knitting needles have been dusted and the credit card has been a bit bashed about ordering the wonderful wool you can get nowadays. LOL

I am married to a wonderful husband (Steve) and have 2 wonderful sons (Mike and Dave) and of course my grandson Adam.

I had to give up work 10 years ago due to ill health and have done everything from cross stitch to card making but now I'm back to my earliest craft - knitting. My gran taught me when I was about 6 along with how to crochet.

I look forward to hearing about others and the projects they are doing and am thinking of doing some charity knitting too, there's only so many cardi's and jumpers a 1 year old can wear!!

DeafKnitter
10-04-2010, 11:52 PM
hyperactive,

Thanks. Really enjoy reading your reply.

One of the biggest issues I have with any video is being Deaf. If there is sound or vocal audio, and no captioning, I can hear it but cannot comprehend it. Maybe it's worth a suggestion that the tutorial videos here maybe have captions or transcriptions?

As for the visual, it helps if I know what is being done/said.

Am checking out the website as I reply and I am not a green fan, but that green is gorgeous! Don't blame you for getting it.

KarenInTacoma
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the invite, looks to be a helpful site!
Our daughter announced 4 weeks ago that she was 5 weeks pregnant, yippie as she is our only child and just turned 37.
So I just started knitting a baby blanket after 38 years of no knitting, oh dear! Getting back on the bicycle is a little ruff at 62; but got the first 15 rows of 165 sts of K1 P1 contrast done, then told to Break. Next row (WS) [I hope this means just where I left off] MC, P13. M1. *P14. M1. Rep From *to last 12 sts. P12. 176 sts.
Ok do I cut 4" of contrast color and tie a knot of main color leaving 4"and just begin with MC, P13.?????? I pretty much get the code after that, just don't want to mess up the Break business & MC.
Karen

Shandeh
10-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi, just started knitting, but I'm a guy sorry. :aww:
No apology necessary! :)
We love ALL knitters - any gender, any religion, any nationality.
:heart: :hug: :heart:

......So I am getting ready to pick the needles up again and give it a try. I have crocheted on and off for over thirty years, but I feel lost when it comes to knitting.
Hi Marietta! I'm the opposite: comfortable with knitting, and just now learning to crochet. Maybe we should sit beside each other and learn together!

Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I'm a 23-year old guy who happens to be a newbie knitter.
Hi Brian! Welcome to the KH Forum. I hope you like it here!
:thumbsup:

thanks to knittinghelp.com I AM A KNITTER.............now am looking to knit loafers ,cant fine any free pattern
Welcome to the forum! :)
You'll find lots of knitting patterns for Slippers here:
Slipper Patterns (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/slippers.php)

Hi, I'm a newbie to the site but have been lurking for a while. I love how everything is so well laid out and you can find help on just about everything.
Hi Jan! Welcome to the KH Forum!
I'm a big fan of all the European knitting magazines. I always gravitate to them when browsing our bookstores here in the States. Maybe one day, I will come visit England! That would be so wonderful. cloud9

One of the biggest issues I have with any video is being Deaf. If there is sound or vocal audio, and no captioning, I can hear it but cannot comprehend it.
Thanks for the input!

........I just started knitting a baby blanket after 38 years of no knitting, oh dear!.........got the first 15 rows of 165 sts of K1 P1 contrast done, then told to Break. Next row (WS) [I hope this means just where I left off] MC, P13. M1. *P14. M1. Rep From *to last 12 sts. P12. 176 sts.
Ok do I cut 4" of contrast color and tie a knot of main color leaving 4"and just begin with MC, P13.?????? I pretty much get the code after that, just don't want to mess up the Break business & MC. Karen
Hi Karen! Welcome to the KH Forum!
Yes, just start purling with the main color now. You can tie a knot if you want, and work in the ends when you finish the project. Welcome back to knitting! :hug:

avidknitter
10-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Hello everyone. I was very surprised to find this site! I went looking for help with a lace pattern (my first). I don't know whether to read the odd or even rows from left to right. I am 63, married with 4 grown children and 10 grand children. I became disabled two years ago which prevented me from working, but thank God I can still knit.
Knit mostly socks, charity scarves and chemo caps for donating. Needed a challenge so I am making a shawl for my sister. If I can just get started!
I am so anxious to read about other members. Looks like a great place to lurk.

suzeeq
10-07-2010, 03:53 PM
It depends on the pattern. If you're knitting flat, the odd rows are the RS (usually) and you read the chart R to L. The even WS rows are read L to R. If you're knitting in the round all are read R to L. If you have more question about the pattern, you can post them in the How To or Pattern Central forums which more people read.

Halias
10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Another new knitter here, who's wanted to learn for years. My mother knits occasionally, and tried to teach me numerous times, but for some reason I just couldn't get it. It baffled me, as I'm a very visual learner and when someone was sitting right next to me showing me how but it still didn't click. This site did the trick, though, and I successfully knit a little dishcloth this past week and am starting the second one.

I also started crocheting this past summer as a way to stave off boredom, and have been sewing for about seven years. I just like fabric and clothes and making pretty things. I just learned about Fair Isle (well, in the "this is a knitting thing you can do" sense, instead of hearing about it for the first time ever) and it looks like something I'd like to tackle.

fluresentcrayon
10-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm fairly new to knitting. I first tried to learn about a year ago while I was quitting smoking but never really created a project.

Now, a year later after successfully quitting the cigs :woohoo: I have
decided to pick up my needles again and actually MAKE something. LOL

I'm sure I will have tons of questions but for now just wanted to say hi. Now back to my scarf hehehe

NiRo
10-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi. I just joined today after referring to your site for a lot of my knitting questions.

You really know your knitting and I'm glad I became a member.
When I start to knit the "fancy stuff" I know you'll be hearing from me a lot. :mrgreen:

Great site.

Breezed
10-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I have been posting for a couple of weeks but never introduced myself here so here I am.

I am a beginner knitter in Fort Myers, FL originally from south Louisiana. I am 35 yrs old, female, 1 great boyfriend, 0 children, 1 dog Sax (short for saxophone), and 1 cat Baby Kitty.

I am obsessed with reading, newly addicted to knitting, and I love my Xbox 360 and spend a lot of time playing video games. I also spend as much time as I can with my boyfriend's 10 yr old niece and 12 yr old nephew - we love to go swimming together, going to the beach, and I try to attend their school & extracurricular activities/sports as much as I can.

Thanks to everyone here who has helped answer my questions and encouraged my knitting. This has been a great experience and I'm looking for it to continue for a very long time and hoping to make some good friends and good knitting!

agreen
10-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Hi I'm making a rotini scarf and the pattern is supposed to be very simple, but it has one thing i'm not sure of. After knitting the 1st row it tells you to turn and knit back into the stitches you just knitted. Not sure what this means or how to do this

Thanks!

patriciams
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I've started knitting again after a long absence. I'm trying to make a ribbed scarf for my great-grandson. My question is, are purl stitches in ribbing supposed to be looser than knit stitches? It seems that my first and last purl stitches, before and after my knit stitches, are too loose. Are they supposed to be that way? Is there something I can do to tighten up these stitches other than pulling the yarn tighter, which I've been doing. Thanks, Pat Smith

suzeeq
10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Yes, they do tend to come out looser. You can wrap the purl sts backwards, then on the next row knit them through the back loop. Search in the How To or General Knitting forums, this question comes up frequently so there's a few threads there. And posting your question separately in either one of them would probably get you more answers as not many people look at the Welcome thread so it's liable to get lost.

And welcome!

Breezed
10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm fairly new to knitting. I first tried to learn about a year ago while I was quitting smoking but never really created a project.

Now, a year later after successfully quitting the cigs :woohoo: I have
decided to pick up my needles again and actually MAKE something. LOL

I'm sure I will have tons of questions but for now just wanted to say hi. Now back to my scarf hehehe

Congratulations on being a non-smoker!!! I have been a non-smoker for almost 2 yrs. :yay:

Mikeyathome
10-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Everyone...

I'm married with two children and am a shift worker, with long boring hours. My grandmothers taught me to knit plain years and years ago, I found a cable blanket I wanted to knit... oh my what was I thinking. Well anyways my name is Michelle...

margiec
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi, I just learned about the forumn and this wonderful website. I am excited about the opportunity to interact with other knitters. I learned to knit while in college, but became a serious knitter about 5 years ago when my children finished college and began their own families. I see this as an opportunity to share ideas and gain knowledge and expertise. Margie

fadeout
10-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi! I just started knitting a week ago! haha

I decided I wanted to do something creative in my life, and I kind of learned to crochet a bit from some coworkers, but it was a bit frustrating to me because I kept losing stitches around the ends of rows. I gave knitting a try because I like the look of it, and the idea of having something I made to wear! I actually enrolled for a knitting class, and having the instructor there to give me confidence what I was doing was correct really helped me a lot. I found knitting to be a bit easier because the needles make it very obvious where your stitches are.

Anyway, I just completed 1 fingerless handwarmer (working on the second)! I am going to be trying new projects to push myself further and I'm sure I will use the forum to get some help from more experienced knitters.

doolin
10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
I have been using tips and videos from knittinghelp.com for a few years and just want to reiterate what a great site you have created. Yours is the first place I look when I need clarification and you never disappoint!

Jeremy
11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks Doolin!

vicki149
11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi there, My names vicki, im 27, have been knitting for a couple of years, but havent done anything major until recently. I have found some lovely barbie clothes patterns that require patons grace, but I cant seem to get hold of it does anybody know how I can get it OR even just find and equivalent? Any help would be much appreciated!
Happy Knitting
:-)

kittykins
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Vicki! Welcome to KH! I'm not sure where you can find the yarn you're looking for. Do you have a local Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or a Joann's near you? You might try posting this thread in GENERAL KNITTING. More members will probably see it there. Good luck with your knitting! Jeanie

suzeeq
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
You can buy Grace online at Joann's (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd24736), you might be able to find it in a larger store near you.

Another yarn you might look for is Lion Microspun. It's not cotton but is about the same weight and looks similar.

LeslieA
11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi Everyone!
I'm not a new knitter, but I am. lol I joined this site a few years ago when I was first learning, it's such a great resource. I was active for awhile then kids, work etc. gets in the way. lol
I haven't knit very much in the last year or so, I'll start something then something goes wrong and it sits, for a year. lol lol
Anyway I picked up a project that I've been working on for about 2 years I would say. It's a Juliette sweater. The last time I worked on it was about last February I think. So I decided it's time to finish that bugger and I frogged it back to my life line and am going to continue on it tonight. But I was reading the pattern and couldn't remember a term so I thought heck I'm going to check out Knitting Help, and well here I am. I thought posting with you guys would keep me in knitting mode. lol Anyways, I'm Leslie, I'm from Illinois, I have 2 kids one boy and one girl ages 6 and 9.
So I look forward to catching up with you all, and hopefully staying motivated. Thanks.

ccphillips
11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
[/FONT]"Red"]

Hi

I am a beginner and do mostly the knit stitch. Have made lots of scarves, a poncho, a wrap, but I am seeing all these beautiful patterns; one that I am interested in calls for a reverse stockinette stitch.

What does this mean?

Thanks
cc

suzeeq
11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi, wecome, cc.

Stockinette st is what happens when you knit the right side rows (the side that faces out) and purl the wrong side rows. Reverse stockinette is purling the RS rows and knitting the WS rows, just the reverse.

Shandeh
11-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Another yarn you might look for is Lion Microspun. It's not cotton but is about the same weight and looks similar.
Lion Microspun is much thicker than Patons Grace. Microspun works up to almost a worsted weight. I'm using it right now to knit some curtains for my craft room.

You can purchase Patons Grace direct from Patons on their website: http://shop.patonsyarns.com/default.aspx?PageID=58&ProductID=97&RootCatCode=01000

TiaMaria06
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Hello everyone.... I've just joined this site, cant wait to get to know my way round it and chat to you :woot: I live in Yorkshire UK....:muah:

I am not a great knitter, but I am trying. I dont actually know anyone in 'real life' that knits, so I will be asking for help loads.

At the mo, I have spent all day looking for a hot water bottle pattern. Not much luck. I have never used; circular needles, different colours, logo's. I can cable though :yay:

Any help greatfully received.

Jan1ce
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi welcome from another UK knitter not far from you in fact, North Notts. This is a great site and everyone is so helpful and friendly.

I'm sure you'll have no problem finding your way around and if not, ask, someone will be only too pleased to help.

Happy knitting

Shandeh
11-21-2010, 03:27 AM
Welcome, Tia Maria! :hug:

Here are some hot water bottle cozy patterns for you:
ISBN Hot Water Bottle Cozy (http://www.yarnagogo.com/bawk_hot_water_bottle_coz/)
Felted Hot Water Bottle Cover (http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/knitted_and_felted_hot_water_bottle_cover.php)
Cabled Cozy (http://sashas-blue-carpet.blogspot.com/2009/02/pattern-hot-water-bottle-cozy.html)
Two Color Cozy (http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/pattern_detail.php?patterns_ID=32)
Penguin Cozy (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/PATTmrpopper.php)
Simple Cozy (http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/2007/02/08/free-pattern-hot-water-bottle-cover/)
Seed Stitch Cozy (http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Quick_Seed_Stitch_Hot_Water_Bottle_Cover_Pattern__ D50821220.html)
Snowflake Hottie (http://www.knitrowan.com/download.aspx?id=144&fcd=2)
Toasty Cabled Cozy (http://www.thisisknit.ie/hwbcosy.pdf)

Midoria
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey! Another beginner here. My real name is "Adia" (not pronounced like the song!) and I'm from Maryland. I decided to knit because I wanted a hobby that wasn't too expensive, is portable since I ride the train to work, and that would allow me to continue to learn new skills and start new projects. I also live very close to a neat little shop over the bridge from my house so that I don't have to rely on videos and books to learn. I'm having a blast so far and can't wait to learn more.

psychoswim
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi! My name is Michelle and I'm another beginner. I've been an elite swimmer (made the world university games three times) for over 15 years, and full-time athlete for the last 2 years after finishing my undergrad and masters in computer science. I've been on a swimming sabbatical for almost 8 months now due to shoulder surgery last summer so after spending weeks watching dvds and boring myself out of my mind I decided to learn to knit. I'm hoping to get in med school next year so this will also give me something relaxing to do.

I'm currently about 2 feet into my palindrome scarf, and waiting on some yarn and needles to knit my sister's Xmas scarf.. I'm most likely using a hot pink Bernat Harmony yarn, haven't decided on the pattern yet but probably wide cables.

Just have to add that this site is awesome!

trea
11-24-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm new to knitting, still learning. Thanks Amy for this forum....this is a very good site!!!!:yay:
By the way I live in Malaysia......:)

Jeremy
11-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Welcome Psychoswim! Its great to have you as a member.

Adria
12-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Adria! i am new to Knittinghelp.com, specifically trying to get some help for the Sunstar Amigurumi I am currently knitting for my friend's 6 year old.

I love to knit and I'm happy to have found a community in which to get encouragement and assistant.

Much love from Southern California,

Adria cloud9

bananaleg
12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Tacoma, WA!
Tomorrow will be one month since i learned to knit :)
I've used knitting help a bunch since starting. I love it!

susan25
12-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am new at knitting. I have made several items just using the knit stitch with one skein of yarn. In my current project I need to join a second skein of yarn, but am not sure how.

Thank you for any help. Look forward to chatting with other on this site soon!

Jan in CA
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help everyone!

If you have questions it's best to post them in the forum rather than this thread. More people will see them and they'll get answered more quickly. :thumbsup:

suzeeq
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi, yep this is the 'greeting' thread but to answer your question...

What I do to join a new end of yarn, is to loosely tie it to the old one, work a few rows then go back and rearrange the knot so it doesn't show and tie it tighter. But that may not work so well for garter stitch. There's a few methods for joining yarn shown on the Tips page.

HSRCampbell
12-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Hi, all. Love the camaraderie I've seen so far, hope to be a part of it. :grphug:

I'm Heather, absolutely brand-new to knitting. I'm not very good at finishing what I start, historically, but I hope this time will be different.

totribet
12-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi. My name is Terri. I've been crocheting for almost 20 years. I have wanted to learn knitting for years. Every year about this time, I start trying again, but it feels SO awkward and slow to me that I keep giving up and going back to crochet which is so much faster.

I really, really want to learn this and my friend, Kellie, referred me to this site. The videos are really good and I'm working on just learning the knit stitch first. It still feels incredibly awkward and slow to me and my stitches look horrible. I think I just suck at knitting!!!! But I am going to keep trying and watching your videos and I really want to beat this and learn it! I love the way knitting looks and there are things that I want to make, so I just have to learn.

So, here is hoping that i don't give up and quit again. I think I can, I think I can!!!

hw13
12-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Hello All,

My name is Heather. I am here to learn how to knit as my bf has requested that I learn and make him a sweater.
I've decided that I will make it my new year's resolution and hopefully I can get him a sweater made by Christmas next year.

I have absolutely no clue what I am doing but hopefully you will all be able to help me achieve my goal.

Shandeh
12-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Hi. My name is Terri.....
Hi Terri! Welcome to the KH Forum. :)
Keep trying, and don't give up! I started knitting in 2003, when I was about to turn 40. I didn't think I would ever get it. I just kept watching the cast on and knit stitch videos over and over again. One day, it finally clicked, and I was able to knit without watching the video. It felt so wonderful to just knit and knit! I was addicted! Like you, I really liked the look of knitted fabrics, and wanted to create my own knitted items.

Now, 7 years later, I can knit any pattern I want. And I'm having so much fun with it! I am learning to crochet now, so I might be asking you for some pointers for that craft! :wink:

My name is Heather...........
Hi Heather! Welcome! :hug:
You've come to the right place to help you learn to knit. Just start with small projects, and congratulate yourself with every single thing you make. You'll be making sweaters before you know it! :thumbsup:

totribet
12-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi Terri! Welcome to the KH Forum. :)
Keep trying, and don't give up! I started knitting in 2003, when I was about to turn 40. I didn't think I would ever get it. I just kept watching the cast on and knit stitch videos over and over again. One day, it finally clicked, and I was able to knit without watching the video. It felt so wonderful to just knit and knit! I was addicted! Like you, I really liked the look of knitted fabrics, and wanted to create my own knitted items.

Now, 7 years later, I can knit any pattern I want. And I'm having so much fun with it! I am learning to crochet now, so I might be asking you for some pointers for that craft! :wink:

Hi Heather! Welcome! :hug:
You've come to the right place to help you learn to knit. Just start with small projects, and congratulate yourself with every single thing you make. You'll be making sweaters before you know it! :thumbsup:

Ok. It is a deal! I'll help you crochet and drive you nuts asking silly knitting questions! Thanks for the welcome and welcome to Heather. Maybe we can encourage each other.

graceypoo
12-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi! I just started knitting 5 days ago. So far I made a scarf and a mini wristlet purse with zipper.

I am teaching myself to knit to eventually be able to make this:
http://www.loopknits.com/2008/08/09/wave-blanket/

Instead of the Blue Sky Alpaca dyed cottons, I purchased the Sugar N' Cream solid cottons instead. The Blue Sky Alpaca dyed cotton says it can take 7-9 needle sizes. I figured this would be alright since the suggested knitting needle for the Sugar N' Cream yarns is a US 7.

However the pattern calls for a US-9 circular needle (40").

Do I need to change the yarn I purchased or can I just do the pattern using a US-7 circular needle?

Thanks!

graceypoo (same name on Ravelry.com)

suzeeq
12-20-2010, 01:10 AM
It will be a little smaller on the size 7s but you can still knit it, though with the sugar and cream, the larger needles are easier to knit with. The needle size on the labels is to classify the yarn into a weight range, patterns can use very different sizes. So you can either get size 9 needles instead of changing the yarn (and I'd suggest 32" long ones instead of 40") or knit it with the 7s and it's going to be smaller though you can add more stitches in 18 st increments.

totribet
12-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi! I just started knitting 5 days ago. So far I made a scarf and a mini wristlet purse with zipper.

I am teaching myself to knit to eventually be able to make this:
http://www.loopknits.com/2008/08/09/wave-blanket/

Instead of the Blue Sky Alpaca dyed cottons, I purchased the Sugar N' Cream solid cottons instead. The Blue Sky Alpaca dyed cotton says it can take 7-9 needle sizes. I figured this would be alright since the suggested knitting needle for the Sugar N' Cream yarns is a US 7.

However the pattern calls for a US-9 circular needle (40").

Do I need to change the yarn I purchased or can I just do the pattern using a US-7 circular needle?

Thanks!

graceypoo (same name on Ravelry.com)

Oh, I love that! I:heart: I wonder if I will EVER be able to make something like it!

Shandeh
12-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Ok. It is a deal! I'll help you crochet and drive you nuts asking silly knitting questions!
:cheering: It would be cool if we lived in the same area, and could work on our respective crafts side by side. But, I guess we'll just have to settle for talking here in the forum.

graceypoo
12-20-2010, 05:10 AM
It will be a little smaller on the size 7s but you can still knit it, though with the sugar and cream, the larger needles are easier to knit with. The needle size on the labels is to classify the yarn into a weight range, patterns can use very different sizes. So you can either get size 9 needles instead of changing the yarn (and I'd suggest 32" long ones instead of 40") or knit it with the 7s and it's going to be smaller though you can add more stitches in 18 st increments.
suzeeq--omg, THANK YOU so much for answering my question so quickly. I am dreading having to use the size 7 needles, only because I am impatient..... though I've been incredibly patient with knitting (at least this first week, I have).

I undid my 1st project (garter stitch scarf) and trying to come up with something for my little nephews (perhaps some hats).

Suzeeq--what's behind your recommendation of doing the blanket on a 32" circular needle, vs the 40"? The finished product says it'll be a 33" by 39" piece--so does that mean I will cast on something that will be around 33" and knit until it is 39" long? or is it the other way around?

THANK YOU AGAIN!

jacksonstewart
12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Greetings to all..I am new to this forum and trying to figure out this..

suzeeq
12-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Suzeeq--what's behind your recommendation of doing the blanket on a 32" circular needle, vs the 40"? The finished product says it'll be a 33" by 39" piece--so does that mean I will cast on something that will be around 33" and knit until it is 39" long? or is it the other way around?

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Yes, it's 39" long and 33" wide, and you certainly don't need a 40" needle. A circ will hold 2-3 times it's length and I've found 40" to be too long even when working on a 45" wide throw. I thought maybe the patter said such a long one because you may be knitting an edge around the whole thing, but it's knit as you go, so you really don't need one that long, the cord gets in the way. Maybe that's what the designer used because that's all she had in a size 9.

BTW, posts like this are better in the How To forum as a new thread where more people will see it. This thread is primarily to introduce yourself and say hi, though you can also do that anywhere.

Shellie10
12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
My name is Shellie. My husband is currently in A'stan so I need someting to do with my nights. :) We have 6 kids. 3 are married with kids and we have 3 at home. I'd love to learn to make cute hats, scarves, etc. I am a beginner. I've wanted to learn to knit for years and finally just decided to get down to it and do it. :woot:

Hopefully I won't be completely inept. lol

My first question is what is a good yarn to start with? What size needles? Just for learning and practicing. What would you all suggest is a good place to start?

Thanks for your help.

suzeeq
12-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi and welcome to the world of knitting.

Get a medium weight smooth light colored yarn, and for needles probably a size 9 or 10. Those are a little bigger than most people use for that yarn, but it makes the stitches larger so it's easier to see them and knit into. I really do recommend circulars instead of straight needles for a beginner. The straights are sort of awkward to balance along with trying to control the yarn and hand movements and make stitches and the circulars are more versatile and easier to hold.

Go to the Videos page and just practice for a while - learn a couple of cast ons and how to make knit and purl stitches, how to combine them for different stitch patterns and make decreases and increases. That should occupy your time for a few weeks... ;)

megan123
12-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi - i just started back to knitting again and i am making some headbands for my golfing buddies. The instructions state: K1, KFAB, knit to last 2 sts, KFAB, K1. Can anyone help me find out what KFAB means?

suzeeq
12-21-2010, 12:31 AM
It's usually written without the A as kfb - knit into the front and back of the same stitch. There's a video on the Increases page.

Shellie10
12-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi and welcome to the world of knitting.

Get a medium weight smooth light colored yarn, and for needles probably a size 9 or 10. Those are a little bigger than most people use for that yarn, but it makes the stitches larger so it's easier to see them and knit into. I really do recommend circulars instead of straight needles for a beginner. The straights are sort of awkward to balance along with trying to control the yarn and hand movements and make stitches and the circulars are more versatile and easier to hold.

Go to the Videos page and just practice for a while - leaarn a couple of cast ons and how to make knit and purl stitches, how to combine them for different stitch patterns and make decreases and increases. That should occupy your time for a few weeks... ;)

Cool! Thank you!

CoolWool
12-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Hello. My name is CoolWool and I'm a knit-aholic. Started knitting a few months ago on a whim. Bought the SnB book and then the Chicks with Sticks book. Watched a lot of youtube videos for technique. I've knitted a lot of scarves, a really big hat, a couple ipod cozies, a felted clutch, some wrist bands and bracelets, and now I'm working on my first sweater shell/vest and it's taking f o r e v e r . . .

Anyway, I knit every day and just wanted to belong to community of folks that enjoy the same hobby. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys quite often. :)

AvnArmyWife
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
...Hello everyone. My name is Tyakeia (or Ty for short). I'm a super new knitter. lol I seem to only be able to do purl knits and I finally learned how to close my knits. I'm still learning as I go, but so far I enjoy it, or at least I enjoy buying the yarn for the patterns I hope to knit one day. I currently have 5 projects I'm "SUPPOSED" to be working on, but I can't even figure out how to make sure the sizes are correct. lol I hope I get a chance to meet new ladies (in my area or not) and have a great time learning to knit (and crochet)

sheba
12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
What a fantastic link ! I wish I would have known about this site when i was learning the basics also. I have been been knitting at what I hope to be a sock one day.An I come across knit alongs ? Can anyone tell me more about that and how it works ? I am knitting socks and I think this might be the ideal way to go about learning. Thank you

suzeeq
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
There's a sock tutorial called Silver's Sock class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) that you might look into. Silver was a moderator here for several years.

jenylc
12-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I have been knitting off and on for several years and having a place to go for questions and tips is so helpful. The videos are also helpful. It is also fun to talk to fellow knitters. I am looking forward to chatting with you!:)

HillbillyKnits
12-24-2010, 08:05 PM
My name is Brian and I am 23 years old.

I am happily married to my wife Laura (we've been married since April '10) and no kids, yet, but am anxiously waiting for the day that I hear from Laura that I am going to be a dad.

I decided after a hiatus in knitting (and after learning to crochet, spin, and spindle - which I am not all that good at) to pick up again and prepare to do my first and major project of the New Year, my soon-to-be newborn nephew's baby blanket. My sister-in-law is helping me pick out the yarn. After consulting with my wife, I just placed my order this morning for a Zephyr Options Set and a View Sizer from KP.

Way excited!

Hope to get to know y'all!

RapaciousCurls
12-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello! My name is Madelyne (or Maddie whichever you prefer :)). I learned to knit a little over a year ago. I never finished my first project :blush:, a scarf, until earlier this month when I got the knitting bug to start again. I finished my scarf in time for Christmas. I wanted to knit again when a certain fellow mentioned to me that he wanted a particular hat. I decided to be silly and impress him by making the hat for him. :) I still haven't finished it, but in the process have learned how to purl, knit in the round, cast on (several times), and how to stick with projects even when you want to throw them in your wood pellet stove. This hat has been one adventure after another and I am anxious to find someone who can help me cast off because I don't know how. I have been watching the videos on Knitting Help over and over again and decided today I should join the forum. :yay: I've also started another project and am currently stuck. I will probably post a question as soon as I am finished with this introduction (sorry it is so long). Let the knitting begin!

mspenny
12-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Hello fellow knitters,

I am new to forums, so I am bumbling my way through. I have been knitting for about 8 years and just completed my 135th pair of socks (they travel so easily). We just learned that our 1st grandbaby will be a little girl (I had all boys), so I am anxious to begin knitting for her. If you know of have any sweet little blanket, sweater, dress, or christening patterns, please them along.

I look forward to sharing my knitting journeys with you.

ms penny

Shandeh
12-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :muah:

fatoldladyinpjs
12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Just wanted to say hi. I discovered this website when I was trying to find measurements for mittens. Thanks so much for your help with this. I learned how to knit when I was 11. I knit continental style, but now am trying out the Eastern style. There's not much info about it. If anybody can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it.

TrueIconoclast
12-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new...I've made a few posts, but just wanted to introduce myself here as well.

Happy knitting from California!

BransonBel
12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
My name is Jane and I am a stay at home mom living in NY on Long Island. My husband and I have 2 daughters, ages 6 & 16. I learned how to knit 2 years ago and am a member of our church's prayer shawl ministry. I have gotten SO much help from the videos on this site! I look forward to getting to know others in the forum. :grphug:

kay8jay
01-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Hi, my name's Kate, and I'm part of a knitting group in Petaluma, California.

Knittinghelp comes highly recommended, and I'm excited to join!

Shandeh
01-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Hello. My name is CoolWool and I'm a knit-aholic......
Hello CoolWool! Welcome to Knitting Addicts Anonymous.
:teehee: You're among friends! :hug:

...Hello everyone. My name is Tyakeia (or Ty for short).
Welcome Ty! :)
Just dig in and knit what you want. Don't worry about having to accomplish a specific project. Just try different things, and you'll soon find the kind of projects you enjoy knitting. Sometimes, I become addicted to certain yarns, and try finding projects for them. Other times, I have a certain goal in mind....like a hat for my son, or a scarf for my hubby. Just enjoy your hobby. :hug:

I have been been knitting at what I hope to be a sock one day. And I come across knit alongs ?
Knit-Alongs are just a group of knitters all working on the same (or similar) project. We answer each other's questions, and encourage our progress. Check out our Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21) section, to see which ones we have right now. Welcome! :)

My name is Brian and I am 23 years old...........I decided after a hiatus in knitting (and after learning to crochet, spin, and spindle - which I am not all that good at) to pick up again and prepare to do my first and major project of the New Year, my soon-to-be newborn nephew's baby blanket.
Welcome back to knitting! We missed you! :wink:

Hello! My name is Madelyne (or Maddie whichever you prefer :)).............This hat has been one adventure after another and I am anxious to find someone who can help me cast off because I don't know how.
Here's Amy's videos on how to bind off your knitting:
Binding Off Videos (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/casting-off)
Good luck! :hug:

.......I have been knitting for about 8 years and just completed my 135th pair of socks.......If you know of have any sweet little blanket, sweater, dress, or christening patterns, please them along.
Hello Ms Penny! Sounds like you will make a fine addition to our forum! :)
You'll find TONS of free baby knitting patterns on this website:
Knitting Pattern Central Baby Patterns (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby.php)

Hello everyone. I'm new...I've made a few posts, but just wanted to introduce myself here as well.
Welcome to the KH Forum! :muah:

My name is Jane and I am a stay at home mom living in NY on Long Island.........
Hi, my name's Kate, and I'm part of a knitting group in Petaluma, California. Knittinghelp comes highly recommended, and I'm excited to join!
Welcome Jane and Kate! :hug:

angels4mary
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi! I am excited to have just registered and am looking forward to connecting to members of the forum. I have a new pattern book called 60 Quick Knits 20 hats, 20 scarves,20 mittens in cascade 220. I am attempting to knit a scarf from the pattern 12 named Cables and Wraps Scarf. Each time I knit the first row of the pattern stitch I have stitches left over. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Pattern rows based on multiple of 18 stitches plus 5. Cast on 41 stitches.Here is the pattern row.

Row 1(RS) P1,*k1, inc in next st, (inc is listed in glossary as ( k1,yo,k1) in st-2sts increased) k1 p2, k1 tbl, p2, k1, k3tog, k1, p2, k1 tbl, p2:rep from*once more, end k1,inc in next stitch, k1,p1.

I really hope someone out there would take a look at this for me to see if it actually works. I have tried this over and over with the same results. I am pretty sure I am doing the stitches correctly but something is NOT working. Thanks for your consideration.

If you saw this post previously I have just edited to include a typo I made myself (oops). I missed the k1 after the first increase when I first posted. Corrected now.

suzeeq
01-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I count 17 sts in the repeat, not 18, so there may be a typo there.

angels4mary
01-04-2011, 01:16 PM
oops! I made a typo myself....I missed writing down k1 after the first inc

Row 1(RS) P1,*k1, inc in next st, (inc is listed in glossary as ( k1,yo,k1) in st-2sts increased) k1, p2, k1 tbl, p2, k1, k3tog, k1, p2, k1 tbl, p2:rep from*once more, end k1,inc in next stitch, k1,p1.
Did you happen to try knitting this? increasing by 2 and tbl are new terms for me but I have checked videos and resource books and I think I am doing things correctly. Maybe I am just losing my place when I am knitting? Anyway pretty frustrated right now. Thanks for replying! I appreciate it.

suzeeq
01-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Just do it st by st, actually, when you've finished a row and it doesn't come out right, go back to the beginning and name the sts, sometimes you can find out where you're off easier that way.

So you name them p, inc, (which is 3 sts), k, 2 p, twisted knit, 2 p, k, dec, k, p 2, twist k, 2p, k, dble inc, k, 2 p, twist knit, etc and the last 6 sts are k dble inc (3) k p.

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Hello, I'm Amanda and currently live in NW AR in the US. I knit, crochet, do metal work, beading, sewing, embroidery, tatting, calligraphy, drawing, etc. I'm learning how to spin (but don't have the cash for the stuff, so I'm just doing it on my leg, with a wire coat hook) am reading up on bobbin lace and netting... basically, I want to learn it all, I suppose. There's some drive in me for that... just can't explain it... :: twitch ::

Shandeh
01-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Welcome, Amanda! :hug:

Undoer
01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Amy,

I live in Greenfield, met you once at Webs, when you were laughing and said I was the only person who recognized you.

Have been away from all the knitting sites for a while. Here I am now praying to find instructions on K1B.

Thanks for all you do!!

Nancy the Undoer

AltheaSmith
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I started knitting a few months ago and after a pile of scarves, I'm ready to try something a bit harder. Your videos are great - detailed and slow enough for me to follow - I wish I'd seen them when I first started! My main problem now I've discovered knitting on the internet, is how to navigate through so many choices... so I look forward to joining the online community and throwing my questions into the forum :knitting:

LStetz
01-12-2011, 02:37 PM
hello

my name is Lisa, I bought my first started kit called I taught myself knitting by boye, I also got a dvd.

i have not been able to find a class for beginners.

I live in hamilton NJ and maybe i can come across someone that know this area.

Lisa

suzeeq
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Lisa, and Welcome! Look through the video section, many people have learned to knit by watching them. On the Tips pages there's a Demo of a small project which shows how to put the individual things (cast on, knitting rows, purling rows and binding off) together to make a small item. You can practice for a while with some yarn and the needles you have.

LStetz
01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Lisa, and Welcome! Look through the video section, many people have learned to knit by watching them. On the Tips pages there's a Demo of a small project which shows how to put the individual things (cast on, knitting rows, purling rows and binding off) together to make a small item. You can practice for a while with some yarn and the needles you have.

Dear Sue:

so how do i know that the starter kit i have is the correct on, or is that the one you are speaking of? or one on this list, i did read do not go smaller then size 8 with the dvd that i also got which did not come with the starter kit, it said that you want to start with a bigger needle, i have a 6 and a 8 needle the roll of yarn i did get is cron, one pound 4 ply is the wirstd weight,

no Dye lot yard, so is this ok?

Lisa

suzeeq
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
There is no 'correct' starter kit or needle size or yarn, really. A size 8 needle will be fine with the Caron yarn. I might have suggested a larger needle because it's easier to learn with bigger stitches but you can do fine with the 8 and don't need a bigger one. Just don't pull tight on the sts when you make them and you'll be okay.

cair
01-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm just learning... actually, my mom began teaching me... so I do know just the beginnings of knitting. When she passed, I decided not to let the small knowledge I have disappear, so I began taking private knitting classes. I looked for a class in my area... nothing! Now, I go to the site for everything and I did purchase a video, but I need that one on one... I do use youtube for some guidance.
You knitters out there, keep it going... I wish I could just pick up a phone and call someone to help me. The directions for most of you are probably so easy- but boy, do I.
So, I do know I'm a continental knitter... and can do the basics... but I'm hungry for more. Hopefully, you can help me out .... Please don't laugh at my mundane questions.... They stump me and need a lot of help. So, knitters..... "Back at you!" :cheering:

LStetz
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
There is no 'correct' starter kit or needle size or yarn, really. A size 8 needle will be fine with the Caron yarn. I might have suggested a larger needle because it's easier to learn with bigger stitches but you can do fine with the 8 and don't need a bigger one. Just don't pull tight on the sts when you make them and you'll be okay.

The starter kit that i did get have a size 6 and 8, so it is ok to use a size 8, any other size needles should I get? and just to make sure the yarn i got, is fine as well?

from the one thing i read is the bigger the needle and type of yarn can make a big diffrence for a beginner.

thanks for the help

Lisa

suzeeq
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, you can start with the yarn and size 8 needles. Whether you want to get other sizes will depend on what you want to make. So after you practice a little, then you can look at other things you want to try and if they call for anything else than size 8 or 6, or a worsted weight yarn (that's what the Caron's is) then you can get them as you need to.

LStetz
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes, you can start with the yarn and size 8 needles. Whether you want to get other sizes will depend on what you want to make. So after you practice a little, then you can look at other things you want to try and if they call for anything else than size 8 or 6, or a worsted weight yarn (that's what the Caron's is) then you can get them as you need to.

Dear Sue:

Thank you so much for your help, I also noticed if i look at to many diffrent books, video etc, i can see where one would get a little confused, I did like the one on this site.

Lisa

Shandeh
01-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

...so how do i know that the starter kit i have is the correct on, or is that the one you are speaking of?
Sue was recommending that you watch Amy's videos on our website here. Just go to the top of this webpage, and you'll see "Free Videos". Click that, and you'll find lots of videos for different knitting techniques.

rabarth
01-17-2011, 12:31 AM
I began knitting with the new year and I've fallen absolutely in love with it. I own tons of store bought scarves, and being able to make my own gives me great satisfaction. I taught myself with youtube videos but with every new project I was wanting for more interaction. This site is exactly what I've been searching for :)

Mokumegane
01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Dear Sue:

so how do i know that the starter kit i have is the correct on, or is that the one you are speaking of? or one on this list, i did read do not go smaller then size 8 with the dvd that i also got which did not come with the starter kit, it said that you want to start with a bigger needle, i have a 6 and a 8 needle the roll of yarn i did get is cron, one pound 4 ply is the wirstd weight,

no Dye lot yard, so is this ok?

Lisa

The only thing a dye lot does is produces a slightly off color from another dye lot. Basically, when you dye stuff and do it all in one batch (so to say) it'll all look the same. Now, when you do another batch with the same exact color and all, it might look lighter or darker. There is a dyeing process that is used now, with manufacturers, that produces the same result on every batch. With that process, they don't list a dye lot. However, with the traditional way of dyeing things, they do, because the different batches can produce different results. Soo... for a beginner, dye lot will not affect how you knit- it'll only affect the color of the item.

Oh and welcome all newcomers! :waving:

Shandeh
01-18-2011, 05:35 AM
I began knitting with the new year and I've fallen absolutely in love with it..........This site is exactly what I've been searching for :)

pixie91075
01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
My name is Lesley and I right before Christmas that I was going to learn how to knit. So I bought a pair of needles, used some yarn I already had laying around (I've crocheted for years) and off I went to YouTube and the Internet for guidance. Since then I've knitted everyday. Sometimes for an hour, or sometimes for HOURS (like 8) at a time. I might have a project in mind (I've done 2 scarfs so far) or I might just be practicing. I've gone from trying to knit, to picking up purling, strait to cables and color work. I created my first pattern yesterday for a sleeve for my new Galaxy Tab slate that I got for Christmas... I'll make sure to post some pictures. I've gone from knowing nothing, to a little bit and wanting to tackle harder and harder projects in just a few weeks. I have to say my niece has been a ton of help. I don't know where she learned to knit, but I know I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without her! I'm looking forward to knitting my first pair of socks.

Besides knitting I'm a working mother of two teenagers and married. When I'm not running errands, at the gym or at work, I knit. Oh yeah, and every once in a while I go to school.

suzeeq
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I've gone from trying to knit, to picking up purling, strait to cables and color work. I created my first pattern yesterday for a sleeve for my new Galaxy Tab slate that I got for Christmas...

That's great pixie, that's pretty much how I taught myself to knit in high school, practiced stitches, did parts of patterns and generally just played with the yarn and needles. My second real project was a top down raglan pullover with a cable down the front. I just followed the pattern and the description for how to do the cables and it came out great.

Wiske
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi! I'm Wiske, 21, from The Netherlands. I've been knitting for about a year now and loving it. This site has proved helpful many times in the past and now that I'm knitting a pattern that I just can't seem to figure out I'm hoping this site will prove as helpful as ever yet again! Thank you Knittinghelp for being here whenever I need help. It's so nice to have a resource whenever I need.

:yay:

MosaicTree
01-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Hi. I'm Anneli from England. I've stumbled across this site and think that I may be among friends! I've been knitting for just over a year. I love it but still tend to stick to small items and straight lines! I tend to use the internet as my mentor - looking up 'how to' videos on you tube when I get stuck! I'm still struggling with picking up dropped stitches - yesterday was a prime example and I ended up undoing several rows - one day I'll get there!

Hello to all!

suzeeq
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi Anneli, welcome! Did you check out the videos on the Tips page? There's some on Fixing Mistakes, including how to pick up a dropped st without ripping back.

tammyfrost
01-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I just started teaching myself to knit and I am enjoying it. I found it frustrating to begin with, but now I am looking forward to watching the videos here and learning more.

Tammy

MosaicTree
01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks suzeeq. No, I hadn't found them yet but I'll take a look. It could save me many moments of frustration!!

suzeeq
01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Look under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page.

Shandeh
01-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi! I'm Wiske, 21, from The Netherlands. I've been knitting for about a year now and loving it. This site has proved helpful many times in the past and now that I'm knitting a pattern that I just can't seem to figure out I'm hoping this site will prove as helpful as ever yet again! Thank you Knittinghelp for being here whenever I need help. It's so nice to have a resource whenever I need.
Welcome back, Wiske! :hug:

I just started teaching myself to knit and I am enjoying it. I found it frustrating to begin with, but now I am looking forward to watching the videos here and learning more. Tammy
You can do it, Tammy! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Welcome everyone! Lots of new knitters and those new to KH! Yay! :yay:

Be sure to check the video tab at the top of the page for our helpful videos. Most forums also have some sticky posts at the top the page that more helpful answers to often asked questions. :thumbsup:

lleeharris
01-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I just found your wonderful site! I am a beginning knitter and due to carpal tunnel I would like to know more about knitting boards and looms. I'm totally confused though - everything I've seen so far on the knitting boards talks about it being "double" knitting - I'm just worried that this will be much too thick. I live in Florida and would love to be able to do a few sweaters, afghans, etc. but don't really want anything as "thick" as these instructions sound. I would love some help to decide exactly what to buy and the best way to work with it. Thanks :muah:

suzeeq
01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't believe knitting looms make a double knit fabric, could be in the techniques used.

MaureenR
01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm a new knitter looking to learn and helpful tips for the projects I want to create. I was told about this site from someone I'd bought a pattern from. Recently got out of scrapbooking after 16 years and decided knitting was going to be my new hobby.

I'm a stay at home mom of two boys. Love meeting new people who enjoy the same hobbies.

noseysheep
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi all

Google saved my life, and sent me here!:woohoo:

I'm a newbie knitter, who had never knitted in her life until 4 weeks ago...apart from an abortive attempt to knit a 6" square as part of a project for the Brownie Guides when I was 6...that mainly consisted of my mum casting on for me (because I couldn't work out how) followed by my mum knitting the square for me (because I just didn't 'get' how knitting worked), and I didn't want to get in trouble for not bring in the completed square to the next meeting :aww:

So, after a surprise yearning to learn to knit came at me totally out of the blue, I went out at the beginning of January and bought some 5mm needles, and couple of balls of yarn, a 'How To' book and went home to find happiness in a bunch of messy knots.

The 'How To' book just served to compound my confusion....but Youtube helped me see the light. A friend who knits, helped me understand the tension I needed....and away I went.

Completed my first 'proper' project...fingerless mittens...over a week ago...and currently 6" into a 22" x 22" baby blanket for an Irish charity, and squirelling a way on a second pair of needles, on multiple mini hearts to string up for my market stall as a St Valentine's display.

Whoops, long intro, sorry :aww:

Shandeh
02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm a new knitter looking to learn and helpful tips for the projects I want to create. I was told about this site from someone I'd bought a pattern from. Recently got out of scrapbooking after 16 years and decided knitting was going to be my new hobby. I'm a stay at home mom of two boys. Love meeting new people who enjoy the same hobbies.
Welcome Maureen! Let us know if you have any questions, by posting comments in the "How To" section of our forum. Nice to meet you! :hug:

.........I'm a newbie knitter, who had never knitted in her life until 4 weeks ago.
.............Whoops, long intro, sorry :aww:
Welcome, noseysheep! :waving:
You've come to the right place for knitting!

sweetdarling
02-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Heya, I'm Amanda. Been knitting for about half a year now. I've mainly learned from youtube videos and I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of it. *grins*

felixandpaco
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi there. My name is Abigail and I have a little shop on ArtFire. I live in Sandpoint, Idaho with my husband, two children, and a fat sweet little chihuahua. I crochet and knit and am hoping to one day spin my own yarn.

This is a great site and I look forward to improving my skills. :)

suzeeq
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi there, I lived in Sandpoint for more than 20 years, moved about 8 years ago. I go back to see my kids, but don't know where Artfire is

moggy
02-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Hi, I'm Moggy, 35, from the South East of England living with my husband, 2 cats, fish, rabbit and guinea pig.... I'm a crocheter originally but am learning to knit hence I found you here (fantastic site, thank you:cheering: )... just about to tackle my first pullover... eek... I also dabble in wheel spinning and am totally addicted to all the above!! Looking forward to getting to know some of you here :muah:

amby121
02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi - I'm amby121. Have been knitting for a while but am still dumb about some things.

When a pattern calls for 4 0z worsted, is that the weight of the yarn or the skein?

Mokumegane
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Hello, all new peeps!

Worsted is the weight or thickness of the yarn... 4 OZ is the weight of the skein. The only problem with this is if you don't use the yarn they mention, you may have slightly different yardage. If yours has more yardage, you're good. It should be close, at least, though... all the yarn thicknesses are pretty close to standard.

Shandeh
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi there, I lived in Sandpoint for more than 20 years, moved about 8 years ago. I go back to see my kids, but don't know where Artfire is
Artfire is her website

Shandeh
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi, I'm Moggy, 35, from the South East of England..........
Welcome Moggy! I'm learning to spin as well, but usually knit or crochet. :)

Hi - I'm amby121.....
Hi amby121! :waving:

pepsi99
02-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi I'm Valerie and love this site. Just registered so i can post in the forums.

I consider myself an intermediate knitter (self taught) and looking forward to learning a lot more!

Happy Knitting! :knitting:

PRitchie
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi there. I'm new to the forum...and new to knitting (I hope). If anyone out there has links to threads or tutorials for the beginner I'd be very appreciative. Have a great day! :)

-PR

suzeeq
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi and welcome. Have you checked out our video section? There's lots on how to cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease and cast off/bind off. The Tips page has a video called Demo of a Small project that shows how to put the different parts together, and also some on how to fix mistakes, basic stitch patterns and other useful information.

parisfan
02-20-2011, 10:31 PM
hi i am laurie and i hail from the 'great white north' aka canada.

decided after finding myself abruptly UNemployed and then taking a part time job i'd start doing needle point again as a hobby and look into knitting as well.

i don't know MUCH about knitting so i am hoping to learn a bit here. one thing that did occur to me if i can do it is to make a little money on the side w/ knitting

is there anywhere on this site i can check out to give me pointers as to ideas and where to start w/ that?

suzeeq
02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Look at the Free Videos on the link at the top of the page. That should get you going. The Tips page has one called Demo of a small project that shows how to put the different techniques together (casting on, knitting, purling, casting off) to make an item. Just practice with those things for a while.

kcook323
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Hello. My name is Kendra. I found this forum while googling for knitting tutorials. I'm 39 (next month) and all of a sudden knitting has peaked my interest. I don't have any materials yet (yarn or needles), so, I've gotta get some basic supplies going before I can actually start and practice.

suzeeq
02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Kendra, welcome!

All you really need to get started is needles and yarn. I'd suggest a medium weight yarn (usually has a 4 on the label) that's smooth and either light colored or variegated, and size 10 needles. Most people start with straights, but they can be hard to balance while learning how to make stitches, so you can get a circular needle which has 2 short tips connected by a cord. They're not that hard to use and you can make flat items with them as well as knit in the round, or larger things with a lot of stitches. The cords may want to stay curled up, but if you dip them (cords only) in a pan of boiling water for a couple minutes, then hold out straight as they cool, that'll help.

treetoad432
02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi , I am treetoad432, excited to get started, on 2 toe-up socks on magic loop.

knitwit210
02-24-2011, 01:22 AM
HI EVERYONE!!
I am new to knitting, well sorta I learned when I was a little girl but forgot everything I learned. My goal is to make a scarf, then move on to crocheting and needlepoint.
The only bummer is I brought a knitting kit with DVD from Walmart, the casting off is kinda hard for me. I think I have a few stitches that are correctly done. But now I found out I am allergic to the yarn :(
Maybe this forum will introduce me to yarn that will not make my nose itch and a few pointers.

USMCWifeKnitter
02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Hello all! Just stopping by to introduce myself and let you know a little about me.

My name is Jaclyn and I'm 33 soon to be 34 in May. I am married to a great guy, William. We have been married 4 1/2 years and we have 4 kids between us, 13-girl, 11 1/2-boy, 10-girl and 7-girl. We have a dog-Ares, a cat-Nikia and a lot of fish (that my sister-in-law is fostering). My husband is a United States Marine and we are stationed in Japan for the next 3 years.....hence the reason my sister-in-law is fostering our fish.

I have always wanted to learn to knit, but didn't know anyone that knew how that would be able to teach me. While my sister-in-law taught herself, I didn't live close enough for her to teach me. Then we ended up stationed in Japan and I finally just decided to teach myself as well. Found somone online selling off her statch of yarn and needles.....so I bought them. Then I found out a friend knew how to knit and she is stationed in Okinawa as well. So in a day she taught me the basic cast on and knit stitch....I was hooked from then on. I'm still only on week two.....but LOVING it.

So I'm here to learn anything and everything knitting.

ar5291
02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone! I am so excited to start knitting. I got into it because of a class in school that required me to look at how-to websites! So far I am not having trouble but my scarf is a little crooked on the edges. Can't wait to watch the videos on the site!

Happy knitting,
Amanda

orvilleredenbacher
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm new to this and may not be putting my question in the proper place/format. I am in a 1x1 rib edging on a Noro one button jacket. I don't like the looks of a buttonhold that is just binding off 3 and then casting on 3 in t he next row. It leaves a little gap on the ends and it seems "floppy". Any advice on how to do a neater one? thanks, Orville

suzeeq
02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
There's a few other ways to do buttonholes on this page. (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/learn/buttonholes.htm)

This thread really for introducing yourself; how to questions can be posted on the How To forum, or starting a new thread here in General Knitting. But welcome anyway.

elizabeth1st
03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I belong to Ravelry and wonder what is special about this site.

thanks

suzeeq
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi there! This is a smaller site as far as forums go and it's a little more like pulling up a seat at your local yarn store rather than like going to a fiber convention like Ravelry.

knitting4soldiers
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Hey there. I was looking for a hobby to take up while my soon to be husband was away overseas, and I found knitting. I literally started yesterday, and I'm looking for as much help as I can get! I'm wanting to make hats in each branches camo colors, please help!

:yay: :woohoo: :happydance: :knitting:

suzeeq
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi there, welcome to the world of knitting. You can find hat patterns on the patterns link at the top of the page, and at the following sites:
www.dailyknitter.com www.knittingpatterncentral.com (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com) and there's a basic hat pattern here (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm), but you need to know head sizes, or guess for an average one.

You can use any yarn you want in any pattern, many companies make camo yarn in different colors, especially Bernat. They have green, desert, a bluish one and some for kids. RH also has camo colors. So you can just get the yarn and make a basic one.

karelis
03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello! I am a new registered member. I'm making a small cowl neckpiece. After the cast-on, the pattern says to "Join to work in the round." What does that mean? Do I cut the yarn and bind off my cast on stitches? Is there a different way to connect the two ends?

suzeeq
03-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi Karelis

Joining is just connecting the sts with the yarn, so don't cut it. Spread the sts out and with the working yarn on the R needle, knit into the CO st at the end of the L needle. If your needles are longer than your stitches, you need to use the Magic Loop technique which is shown on the Advanced Techniques page.

jeannes
03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi, My name is Jeanne and I have a knitting question and new to this site. Where do I go to ask for help? I am knitting a child's sweater and have 153 sts. I need to decrease the next row down to 150. What is the best decrease to use. I know there are several. Trying to improve my knitting and want this sweater to be the best. Thanks Jeanne

jeannes
03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
First of all you have to be working with circular needles. Then, go on youtube and watch the video on how to join. Good Luck

suzeeq
03-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi Jeanne. Most 'how to' questions would get seen better in the How To Forum, but I can give you a quick answer. Just do k2tog, 3 times across the row, evenly spaced. So work 49, dec, work 49, dec, work 49 and dec. Or you can split that so there's the same number of sts before and after the decs - work 24, dec, work 49, dec, work 49 dec, and knit the rest of the sts.

jeannes
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hi, I enjoy visiting this site for knitting help. Not sure how to use this forum though. Could you tell me where I go to get any answers to the questions that I might ask? Thanks for a great site. Jeanne

suzeeq
03-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi Jeanne, welcome!

You can post in this forum, General Knitting, just click the orange Start New Thread button above the thread names. Or the How to forum may be better; again, click the orange Start thread button.

WildcardFiber
03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi!

I'm new to this forum; I spend most of my time on Ravelry as ksenour but figured I'd pop around to check out some other forums. I mostly spin and knit these days, but also crochet and very rarely weave. :) My Grandmother started teaching me fiber crafts when I was old enough to not stab myself with the needles, so I've been doing it for awhile! Look forward to seeing what this forum is about. :)