PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

suzeeq
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi there, welcome to our corner of the knitting world! We're a little more like your LYS while Ravelry is like a knitting convention, it's a little cozier here. Look forward to seeing your other posts.

agusta80
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Hey

My name is Agusta and I´m from Iceland. Just started knitting. Learned a little in school when I was little but don´t really remember any of it :-)

Now I´m just relying on the internet to learn :-)

Agusta

dizzyg48
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Can anyone help? I'm looking for a super easy beanie pattern, both knit and crochet ones, with no brim (like a skull cap)??? Thanks so much, Donna

dskag
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi. I'm Dianne and this forum is great. I already received pattern help after my first post. Thanks for being here!

IndyPurl
03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi all, my name is CC and even though I learned to knit when I was a very young child (I'm a grandma now) I had never followed a pattern or completed a project until a few months ago. My daughter joined a knitting group last fall and asked me to take one night off from being the 'designated babysitter' to go along because she thought I would enjoy it. Did I ever.:woot:

This was one of the first sites I found, where I learned to cast on, and where I learned how to increase, decrease, knit with dpn's, use circulars, magic loop and the resource that finally answered the mystery as to why all those gauge swatches I had knit flat were different than when I used circulars.

:thumbsup: Thanks for such a great site and for all the work that must have gone into the videos and answering the questions newer knitters would have.

........ and there's a basic hat pattern here, but you need to know head sizes.......

See....I should have joined this forum months ago:doh: because that one link would have saved me tons of time! But hey at least I have a nicely compiled list of my family members' head sizes and a journal of my tensions with different yarns, needles sizes and stitches :frog: lol

Thanks again for this great site and for the forum that I somehow managed to overlook while I was literally glued to the videos.:hug:

marieandtom1
03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Hello,
i am new to this knitting thing, i thought knitting was just for old people but as i have started trying to do it today, i have descovered that it is really hard. :aww:

i saw that knitting mag a ouple ofmonths ago and thought i would give it a go, its soooooo hard.

i keep getting holes and then it goes too tight, i dont know what i am doing wrong, if anyone would like to give me some pointers that would be great.

thanks. x x x :)

suzeeq
03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi marieandtom. This might be seen by more people in a separate thread in General Knitting or How To. Just click on the Orange 'Start a new Thread' button.

But mostly it just takes practice to get the tension right with sts that are not too loose or too tight. With holes, you may be dropping stitches or accidentally wrapping the yarn around the needle and making a stitch, so count and see if you're adding stitches or losing them. A yarn over is done on purpose in lace knitting, but not something you want otherwise.

Elsatia
03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
I just came across this site while searching how to knit. Look forward to searching around.

IndyPurl
03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi there and welcome. I'm brand new too and have learned so much here in just the tips...tons more since reading the forums.:)

fatoldladyinpjs
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Here are two beanie patterns for you.
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/freeKnittingPattern_hat.asp

http://www.allcrafts.net/fjs.htm?url=www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/london-beanie.htm

These don't cover the ears completely. You might want to knit an extra inch in length, just so you know. Welcome. This is a very friendly place.

Knitbegin
03-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Hi Everyone

I am a VERY new knitter from Australia. By very new, I mean I have only knitted two things so far......but I think I am addicted, which isn't a bad thing!
I am happily married with two little boys (almost 3 years old and almost one year old) so I am kept very busy.
I stumbled across this site whilst trying to work out a pattern for a beanie with ear flaps.........so I am off to post in the "how to" section.
I am sure you will all be a wealth of information for me :-)

blachut
03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm trying to figure out what they mean by: drop next 4 rows leaving 4 loops. Please help, I'm desperate : (

suzeeq
03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Drop the stitch down 4 rows, there was probably an inc of some sort below it. That will leave 4 strands of yarn 'loops' in your knitting.

You can get help faster by starting a separate thread, just click on the orange 'start new thread' button above the thread list.

BlackRaven
04-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi My name is Katy I got intrested cause my therapist told me it will help with my stress I am disabled I have fibro, porformis syndorme (SI nerve pain),Im bipolar, I have IBS, Neuroply, Chronic pain, next month Im having my nose fixed have bone spurs Ive had back and both elbow surgeries Any way the problem I have is keeping my stitches even in tension and when I get to like my fourth row I see mistakes I have no idea how or why but they are there I started with metal needles but it was to slippery right now practicing Im using bambo needles. right now Im working on a scarf but once I get good enough Im making a blanket and I didnt know how I could do it but I guess I will have to stitch patches together. If anyone has any advice for a newbie I welcome it I learned knitting by youtube but my stitches dont look like the ones on youtube maybe it's the needle or that Im still new at this mine look sloppy can anyone relate?
Thanks
Katy

gramknits
04-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi katy,
You are such a strong person, learning how to knit with all of the other stuff going on! I have a fairly mild case of fibromyalgia and I am so thankful because I could be so much worse.
AS far as your knitting goes, I think it will all get better and you will understand it more the more you practice. You will get your tension straightened out too. I have been using bambee needles and I love them!

Keep on practicing!!

Sally:happydance:

cheqsmom
04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
I've already registered. I'm trying to knit a counting sheep baby blanket from a chart with multiple colors. I have 9 balls of yarn attached to the piece and I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep them untangled for more than one row. It's maddening!

cheqsmom
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I've been knitting forever and can't figure out how to keep 9 balls of yarn from tangling everywhere every row! It's maddening. Any suggestions?

suzeeq
04-26-2011, 10:01 PM
You could put each one it its own ziplock baggy, that could help. But unless you need an entire ball for each color, you could cut them only several yards long and wind them in bobbins. That should help keep them out of the way a bit better.

Ingrid
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I've been knitting forever and can't figure out how to keep 9 balls of yarn from tangling everywhere every row! It's maddening. Any suggestions?

I find that with that many colors, leaving each strand long and hanging can be easier. You can pull each strand straight out of the inevitable tangle. I don't like bobbins because they seem to catch on each other for me. :shrug:

Nemida
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi there I just found out this forum.
Last year I bought Lopi yarn in order to knit some icelandic sweater and I want to learn how to, I hope knit soon :)

Regards

KiST
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm new here, too. I'd heard of this, but never bothered to check it out.

I'm kay43026 on Ravelry.

Angel2
05-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been knitting for quite a few years now :knitting: . I stumbled upon this site, and found it really interesting, and free pattens as well, fantastic.

georgeegirl4962
05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
hello I new to this site and a new knitter

georgeegirl4962
05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been knitting for quite a few years now :knitting: . I stumbled upon this site, and found it really interesting, and free pattens as well, fantastic.

Im a new at knitting have you ever made the elizabeth zimmerman baby surprise jacket Id like to make an aduldt one need a pattern please

georgeegirl4962
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM
new to be here ,hello :woot:

hello Im new also have you done the adult surprise jacket by elizabeth zimmerman

suzeeq
05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
You have to buy the adult surprise jacket pattern from www.schoolhousepress.com.

Angel2
05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Im a new at knitting have you ever made the elizabeth zimmerman baby surprise jacket Id like to make an aduldt one need a pattern please

Sorry have never done one of those.

toyotaviejo
05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Hello,

I am new to your forums and I love your site! I sell yarn and some knitting books on eBay, and this forum has become a great resource for me. Great to be here!

suzeeq
05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Jon, Welcome. I moved your other post to this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30557), that's more appropriate. The other threads in that forum are for people wanting to buy, sell or trade out of their stash, not an online site.

FiberSage
05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi, I am new on Ravelry (Fibersage) and here! How exciting! I've been a "yarn addict" since I was 6...and have been knitting ever since! I am excited to be in a community of quality folks who value the fabulous textile arts!

joincidence
05-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi there!

I'm Lucy. My nan taught me to knit when I was small but I picked it up again this winter and am enjoying myself lots. Not quite a pro yet but I'm having fun and that's what matters, right? :mrgreen:

purl1
05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I have a pattern i dont understand

suzeeq
05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
You did right by posting a separate thread for your question. See my answer to it.

skitknit
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
also on Ravelry

Bettybee
06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I love to Knit, I skip chores to Knit, I love to knit!cloud9

:knitting:

Bettybee
06-02-2011, 01:17 PM
My two daughters both learned to knit in junior high, they taught me I have purchased a pattern on adult slippers that look like mary janes very cute....have decided to meet with a friend and get some help on the pattern hmmm.:grphug:

knittysweet5
06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
First let me introduce myself, I am a beginner in knitting and crafts once again. I am finding this site :heart: VERY :heart: useful. I am a self taught knitter and take pride in my work.
My question is more of a "just for fun" question. I believe I like to knit because it calms me down and goes for a good cause. Charity and gifts. If you wouldn't mind taking a moment to answer my question I would appreciate it. :muah:

fatoldladyinpjs
06-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Charity is one reason I knit. It's relaxing. You get into the zone and it's like calming meditation. The things offered in the stores are never quite what I want. It's either not in my size or not offered in a color I like. I can pick my own yarn and make something uniquely mine. I won't find four women wearing the same thing. I can customize what I make to fit me and make it exactly the way I want. Store bought goods are machine knit and thin. I can make it in a much better quality.

I made my son a pair of glommits last winter. These are fingerless gloves with a top that pops over them like a mitten. It's useful for driving or digging out change and keys while you leave the rest of your hand covered. I bought a one pound skein of knitting worsted. It probably cost me pennies to make. His girlfriend bought a thin store bought pair for $20.

A lot of times, too, you just can't get knitted items when you need them. The stores start selling summer clothes in January but it's still 30 below zero and snowing here. Knitting is sometimes the only way you can get it at that time. Sometimes things just aren't available unless you knit. Right now I'm knitting hats for preemie babies. Some of the babies are so small that their heads are about the same size around as a large egg. You can't buy hats that small.

Stockinetter
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I learned how to knit about three months ago. Now I've bought myself yarn, knitting needles, and other fun things! I also crochet too.:knitting:

miasmummy
06-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Hi everyone! I am SUPER new to knitting; I am literally only making my very first scarf now! I'm enjoying it so much, and hope to become good enough to knit my small daughter some clothes! Once I finished the scarf, I am hoping to move on to a VERY simple beanie -- does anyone have any recommendations?! I am self-taught, and I'm proud of myself for managing this much so far!! Looking forward to seeing your creations!!
Ebony :)

Jan in CA
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help everyone! :yay:

GrannyP
06-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Thank you for a wonderful site Amy. I have decided to go on a bit of a crafty journey this year and going back to knitting (quite a long way back!) is part of the journey. Looking forward to finding tips and tales from other crafters.

redbedhead
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi My name is Anna, I use redbedhead as a screenname because I have VERY red, Very Naturally Curly hair that always looks like bedhead.

I taught myself to knit in February by watching youtube videos. I must admit that your videos are MUCH better and have been able to help with a lot of my questions about different stitches. Thanks for everything!

jokalo
06-09-2011, 02:39 AM
Hi, everybody,I'm new,glad to join:muah:

coltleader
06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I am an advanced knitter and I am excited to be part of a community to talk about our projects!

Talk2USoon
06-17-2011, 04:48 PM
World's s-l-o-w-e-s-t knitter here. ;) I hope to make some contributions, as well as learn from y'all.

luther
06-18-2011, 05:48 AM
hi all my name is su and until recently i havent picked up knitting pins for about 25 years however im loving it now i forgot how theraputic it is !!!

Sus57
06-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I have to agree with all the members telling you what a great site you have here and also tell you that I have posted a link to your website on mine as I know it will help many of my readers to be able to find this site. I hope to be able to add my comments and help to any one who needs it, I have been knitting since I was 7 years old thanks to my grandmother, who taught me the ins of knitting.
Keep up the good work!
Susanne

rhapsody
06-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone, I've just joined, I live in Scotland in the county of Ayrshire in a little cottage with my husband and 3 horses. I've been knitting since my Auntie taught me at 5 years old (I'm now 39) and my specialties are Shetland cobweb shawls and Aran knits, I also do a little intarsia from time to time as well. Glad I found this site, looks like there's loads of info and support we can share with each other.:knitting:

Shandeh
07-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Welcome to the KH Forum everyone! :)
You've found a wonderful, supportive place, and we look forward to getting to know you better. :hug:

TreshaRuthe
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
While I would love to say that I'd read this entire thread and spent time getting to know everyone, I've not quite had the time for that. I will keep reading until I'm caught up :D.

My name is Tresha and I'm married to a wonderful man named Kit (or Kristoffer if he's made me angry with him.) The two of us and our children live in a four generation home with my side of the family. We are currently working on getting off the grid and establishing more of a homesteader way of life for ourselves. I'm a midwife and an herbalist working on my pre-med bachelor's but whether or not I'll go on to med school remains to be seen.

Years ago I learned how to crochet and cross-stitch. Cross-stitching came easily to me, though it took me more than twenty years to actually turn out a SQUARE square in crochet. I've saved that little one inch square that was my first SQUARE one. Since then I've been crocheting avidly, and was inspired to take up knitting by an unfulfilled wish of my Mama's.

I hope that over the course of the next four years I can become proficient enough at knitting to be able to begin a wedding ring shawl.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much.

Tresha.

Shandeh
07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Welcome to our little corner of the knitting world!
:heart: :hug: :heart:

silent9426
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Hello! I've been knitting for about a year and a half and I love it! I'm just starting to learn to crochet. I don't know many serious knitters that I can ask questions, which is why I joined this forum. :)

Shandeh
07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
You've come to the right place! We're happy to help. :hug:

bschaffer
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
My name is Betty. In mid row, I knitted a stitch that was supposed to be a purl stitch. How can I correct it without working off two rows? I have already worked off so many rows that I am getting discouraged.

Shandeh
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi Betty!

Just work across the next row, and when you get to the spot where the mistake is exactly under your working needles, intentionally drop the stitch, then pull the loops up to the needles again using a crochet hook.

You can see how it's done by watching Amy's video on fixing a dropped stitch. Of course, you would drop further down to the row where your mistake is.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/fixing-a-run-dropped-stitch

jackiefazal
07-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Good morning everyone :)

my name is Jackie and I have recently decided that I would love to try knitting :) I used to do it when i was a little girl with my mum, but i suddenly stopped due to going to school and stuff :).

I have a little one of 14 months and now that i am a stay at home mummy i thought i might take it up again :)

I have brought a book by Valerie Pierce called love...knitting and it has given me 25 simple projects ranging from hats to door stoppers lol. But as i am a complete beginner, sometimes having a book is not enough :) so this is one of the reasons why i am here :) i would love to share my work and get to see some experienced knitters work as well. I am just amazed at what you can do with two sticks and a ball of string! :)

TreshaRuthe
07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
The results that masterful knitting "net" you, can certainly be awe-inspiring, especially when you move into lace knitting and such.

Welcome, to our world, and good luck to you.

jenwal
07-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Hi My name is Jennifer l live in Melbourne and have just started knitting again after 30 years I'm working on a hoodie for my grandson and have hit a hurdle, The pattern says pick up 16 stitches down the neck edge then cast on 10 how do l do this?

Shandeh
07-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Jennifer!
I looked at your other posts, and noticed that you got help in another part of the forum. Glad to see that you are learning how to get around in here! :)

Welcome to the KH Forum. :cheering:

tinabambina
07-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Hello All,
My name is Tina and I am totally new to the knitting world, like completely lol
I am excited to start and I find myself very nervous lately and have heard that knitting is quite comfoting cloud9
I would love any suggestions on where to start and it you think classes are the best way to go. Also I live in NYC and would love to make knitting buddies =)
Ty all and I am very excited to start !!!:woot:

Shandeh
07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Welcome Tina! :waving:
Knitting can be VERY relaxing, but it will take about a week before that happens. Learning the stitches at first will take a bit of patience. After THAT, it will be relaxing. :thumbsup:

TreshaRuthe
07-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Hello All,
My name is Tina and I am totally new to the knitting world, like completely lol
I am excited to start and I find myself very nervous lately and have heard that knitting is quite comfoting cloud9
I would love any suggestions on where to start and it you think classes are the best way to go. Also I live in NYC and would love to make knitting buddies =)
Ty all and I am very excited to start !!!:woot:
Where to start would be a yarn that you feel comfortable with and a set of appropriately sized needles. Then watch the videos here and on YouTube. With all the internet resources available today I really don't think that lessons or classes are something that most people need. (And I'm a HUGE fan of taking classes just for fun.)

JanW01
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi all

I just joined this site the other day and have been reading madly :) I have just picked up knitting again. I did it years ago but have forgotten most of what I knew so I am starting from scratch. This website is bursting with info :thumbsup:

wildone
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
im soooo glad i found this site ty amy.love to knit for charity its a great pass time for me
ty suzeeq and salmonmac for quick response on my post :hug: :knitting: happy knitting

LisaMarie
07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm Lisa, a long-time crocheter and relatively new knitter (been knitting about 8 months).

It's great to find a place with others that have a passion for knitting. I am addicted to yarn, and look forward to sharing and learning a lot in this community!

Shandeh
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome everyone! :waving:

I'm sure you will make a wonderful addition to our friendly forum. :hug:

Caasi
07-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi y'all,...I am Katherine,...username Caasi,...as there seems to be lots of us, Kat, Kit, Kaajte, Katherines,...who enjoy knitting and crochet...I teeter between advanced beginner and just barely intermediate,...I can set a sock heel, just,....so obviously I still have a lot to learn,...but I truly enjoy the total creative process from conception to completion of a project....Been a while since I've picked up my needles,...but just peeking about this site,...I am so inspired to start clicking! :)

nadaibrahim
07-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Hellow all,

I am a new knitter and new forum member. I am just starting my way to knitting, I am crocheting for about 3 months now, and learned many techniques, so I decided to learn knitting also.
Many ladies say knitting is more difficult than crochet, but I would like to give it a try :)
I will watch the videos and come back from time to time to see what knitters are doing here.

suzeeq
07-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Welcome to our knitting and crochet world.

Some people think crochet is harder, but the truth is, neither one is easier or harder, it's what you're used to. I can do both, but prefer knitting.

chk2390
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi, I am just getting how to do the sssk stitch, please help!:knitting: :knitting:

suzeeq
07-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Okay, how many 's's in that? There's ssk which is slip 2 sts separately knitwise, then put the L needle into the front of them and knit together. The sssk is the same but slipping 3 sts. There's a video for ssk on the Decreases page.

creusa
07-29-2011, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=feministmama;409740]What a great site! I will back often with new updates. Thanks for doing this, its about time. :o[/QUOT

use to knit years ago, back at it now...any groups that meet in Windsor?

hetty85
08-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Hello!
Thanks for all the super advice! It's much appreciated!
Hayley xx

suzeeq
08-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi and welcome. I notice you have your full address in the location area, that's not a good idea on a public forum, anyone could see it. You can just leave your city in.

madejust4you
08-16-2011, 02:04 PM
:woohoo:

Hello everyone I am new here and just about a year ago I taught myself to knit so now I am having several questions that I can't find the answer for so please be prepared to answer some questions that I might not be able to find on this forum. I am excited about it
:yay:

marshach
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I did register and attempted to post a question. Not sure if I did it correctly. Marsha

Jenn1105
08-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Hello ... I am in love with this site ... I have just started teaching myself to knit. It has been interesting and only one ball of yarn got thrown ... LOL ... not really, but I did get frustrated. I wish that I had someone around that I could learn from, but I am doing okay and just practicing and learning different things. I haven't started any projects yet, not sure where to start ... I don't want something hard, but something that I will enjoy. I was thinking a wrap, or a lap blanket, or a scarf, I don't know, not even sure where to get a nice pattern for any of them. Anyway ... thank you for this wonderful site!!
:knitting:

Shandeh
08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Welcome to our little knitting corner of the world, everyone!
:muah:
I did register and attempted to post a question. Not sure if I did it correctly. Marsha
Looks good to me! :thumbsup:
........I haven't started any projects yet, not sure where to start ... I don't want something hard, but something that I will enjoy. I was thinking a wrap, or a lap blanket, or a scarf, I don't know, not even sure where to get a nice pattern for any of them.
I would say that choosing a first project is very difficult! There are SO many beautiful knitting patterns to choose from. You can find several free knitting patterns on Knitting Pattern Central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php).

Since you're just starting out, you might enjoy making some coasters or dishcloths, so you can try out different stitches. It sure did help me learn a lot by making dishcloths. They are fast to knit, and you learn casting on, knitting, purling, binding off, and weaving in loose ends.

You'll find lots of free dishcloth knitting patterns here:
Dishcloth Boutique (http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/)

justplaincharlotte
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Hello all!

As a new hand knitter, I can hardly contain my excitement at finding THE all-in-one knitting site. The how to videos have been a tremendous help in decoding the sometimes (but not for long) confusing world of knitting patterns.

And lurking the Forum for the past few days has shown me what a friendly, helpful site this is. Thank you for having me here!

sgtpam
08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Hello all!

As a new hand knitter, I can hardly contain my excitement at finding THE all-in-one knitting site. The how to videos have been a tremendous help in decoding the sometimes (but not for long) confusing world of knitting patterns.

And lurking the Forum for the past few days has shown me what a friendly, helpful site this is. Thank you for having me here!

Welcome.......yes, this is THE place.:hug: ..glad you found us. I felt the same way when I discovered it. Wish I'd tried knitting when I lived in Biloxi (a lot of years ago).:teehee:

simplyknits01
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Hello all! I'm Christine and I've been knitting for 5 years and have only recently begun to venture into clothing other than scarves, hats, and booties. I've actually used this site often, but never really thought about signing up until now. Thank you for all the lovely resources! I hope to be a help in return! :hug:

Nursyknitter
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
I love this site! The video how-tos have been a huge help for me! Keep up the great work!

ewelaughing
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
hi! i'm a longtime fiber artist but have just recently really started to enjoy knitting! Thanks for this wonderful website!

javanigus
09-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks for creating this site. I'll probably be coming back often :)

Tyler
09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Thrilled to have found this site! It's so nice to speak with other knitters and not be afraid to ask "dumb" questions as a newbie.

Many thanks!
Tyler

Shandeh
09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Welcome to our little corner of the knitting world!
You've come to the right place. :hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Hi Everyone... I'm back! :hug:

Can't wait to meet new people, re-meet familiar people, and catch up on the forums... I have A LOT of reading to do! :teehee:

I think my last post was December of 2008? For those of you who care (it's okay if you don't!) and don't know me on Facebook, I moved back to MD in 2008 after my 2007 divorce in IL, and have since had a fabulous life! I kicked the teaching and doctorate (for now) and Hellmark, and am currently managing the recruiting department for an international third-party merchandising company based here in MD.

I originally joined KH in 2005, met some wonderful people, took a hiatus and a second hiatus, and hopefully now I'll be around more often.

:waving:

Jan in CA
09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Welcome back, Carolyn! Woohoo! :yay:

Shandeh
09-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Welcome back, Hildie! You know you are always welcome here! :hug:

alison75
09-10-2011, 09:25 PM
hi everyone, im new to knitting never done it before. I love to sit on the couch and do stuff while watching tv so i think i will really enjoy it. when i was a kid i would do latch rugs and those finger knitting thingys with yarn.... Lol

i just signed up for a knitting class at michaels so i thought i would get on here and check it out. im very excited hope i can pick it up pretty easy, it looks a little confusing.

i do have a question though... what is the difference between knitting and crochet, which is easier?

Thanks
-Alison
:aww:

Shandeh
09-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi Alison! :waving:

Welcome to the KH Forum. :hug:

The answer to your question is "it depends". Also, you will hear a different answer from every single knitter and crocheter you meet. We all have our opinions, and are not afraid to tell you! :teehee:

In MY opinion, if you want to make a basic scarf, crochet might be easier for you. Crochet uses one hook, and if your yarn slips off the hook, it's easy to fix it. Knitting uses two needles, and all the stitches on each row are "live", so if one of them slips off, it takes a bit more work to repair the damage.

But, with practice and patience, knitting a basic scarf becomes just as easy as crochet. If you are a patient person, either knitting or crochet will be easy for you. If you are NOT patient, you might be happier with crochet.

Another thing to consider is this: What are you wanting to accomplish with the craft?

Are you interested in making sweaters, hats, mittens, and scarves? Then, knitting is the way to go.

Do you want to make afghans, blankets, and baby booties? Crochet might work better for that.

As you learn one of the two crafts, you will probably learn a little of BOTH of them eventually. When I knit a baby blanket, I like to finish it off with a crochet border.

Whatever you choose, just remind yourself to relax and enjoy it.

justplaincharlotte
09-16-2011, 03:13 AM
hi everyone, im new to knitting never done it before. I love to sit on the couch and do stuff while watching tv so i think i will really enjoy it. when i was a kid i would do latch rugs and those finger knitting thingys with yarn.... Lol

i just signed up for a knitting class at michaels so i thought i would get on here and check it out. im very excited hope i can pick it up pretty easy, it looks a little confusing.

i do have a question though... what is the difference between knitting and crochet, which is easier?

Thanks
-Alison
:aww:
Hi Alison, and welcome to one of the friendliest online sites! Everyone here is patient, knowledgeable, and helpful to the Nth degree.

As for knit vs. crochet, Shandeh is spot on; it depends on the person. And most of us here know both to varying degrees.

I learned to knit from one of those Boye "Teach Yourself to Knit" kits. I'll recommend getting one of those because of the goodies included that you'll need eventually: needles, row counters, stitch holders, etc.

And the book has pictures that you can use to refresh your memory between classes, as well as some nice beginner patterns.

Have fun learning, there's nothing like playing in yarn!

Knitter158
09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi. I am Knitter158, and I live in New York. I am married, have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. I am retired.

I knit dishcloths, hats, scarves, baby items, toddler items and I crochet granny afghans.

Nice to meet all of you. This looks to be a great site!

agape
09-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi! my name is Carly. i live in new Brunswick Canada. i am an army wife. when i was a girl, i used to knit clothes for my barbies. My babysitter used to let me knit using her needles and i recall her taking my little projects and magically making them into lovely little dresses and the like. it wasn't until recently that i seriously have started knitting. i haven't Ben doing it for very long but when i volunteer at the local elderly complex and get tips and tricks there.

anyways, nice to meet you all! happy knitting :-D

SugarBob62
09-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Just introducing myself! Came here with a knitting question and wanted to post a pic to help along with the question but I know I need 2 or more posts, so I figured I'd go ahead and do this real quick.

I'm 27 and a fairly new knitter. I got into crocheting a few years ago to make amigurumi which is really a lot of fun. But I dunno what drew me to knitting. I guess I wanted to try and make a scarf I think (something a little more "useful" I guess...) and I think crocheting is alot more intricate and takes longer to make progress, I prefer that for the amigurumi and small things. As for actual scarves and blansets and stuff I'm liking knitting a lot better. I know its a personal preference though...haha.

Anyway, I'm working on my first baby blanket for Project Linus, had never heard of it before but recently started volunteering at a children's organization and heard about it there. I just wish knitting/crocheting wasn't such an expensive hobby!!! But I'm sure I'll have lots of questions now that I will be trying to do that regularly for the organization...it's a great way to help those in need while doing something you love, so I'm sure I'll be around lot.

suzeeq
09-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi and welcome here. Knitting doesn't have to be expensive. Check out thrift shops and garage sales for yarn and needles; you can also recycle sweaters found at thrift stores for their yarn, and crocheted blankets and afghans too. Most of these items go for around $3-5 and provide a lot of yarn. If there's a Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Michaels or AC Moore near you, they often have coupons that can help purchase items. If you sign up for their email newsletters, you can print out the coupons they send and get a couple of things that way.

xchocoxbarx
09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Im new, actually, i even haven't started yet..
im on my way looking for needles and yarn,
so i would need a lot of help here :aww:

any advice on where should i start first?

Jan in CA
09-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help everyone!

This thread is for introductions. If you have questions about knitting please post them in one of the other forums so the post will more likely be seen and we can help you. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
09-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Im new, actually, i even haven't started yet..
im on my way looking for needles and yarn,
so i would need a lot of help here :aww:
any advice on where should i start first?
Scroll up to the top of this page, and click "Free Videos". Amy has made several that will help you get started. Have fun learning to knit! :hug:

SCasey6
09-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm just now starting to think knitting might be a good hobby for me. I've heard people say that it can be relaxing. I watched a video of "how to knit" and it seems like it would be fun!

Are there specific things that a new knitter should know? :thumbsup:

Shandeh
09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm just now starting to think knitting might be a good hobby for me. I've heard people say that it can be relaxing..........Are there specific things that a new knitter should know?
Welcome to the world of knitting! :)
Knitting can be very relaxing, but not at first when you're learning. So, be patient during that phase, and THEN you'll be able to relax with your knitting. To get started, just click the "Getting Started" link up at the top of our page, after hovering your mouse over the "Free Videos".

SparkleLDN
10-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I'm Sparkle, I'm a full time mum of a 20mo toddler. I'm French, I live between London and Paris... Thanks to (or because of, it's depends) my boyfriend's job, I travel a lot around the world.

I knit on and off since I was a child. Sorry for my English. It can be difficult to me to write it well.

Voilà!

jetesf
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello there!

My name is Julie and I live in San Francisco. I'm a knitting newbie (started in July) who has quickly become a yarnaholic!!

I've only made a few simple things - scarves and washcloths.

My latest knitting challenge is learning to knit in the continental style. It's been kind of frustrating b/c it didn't seem as awkward when I was learning to throw.

I love this website and am happy to have found the forum.

:woohoo:

Jan in CA
10-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Welcome everyone! We're glad you're here, too! :cheering:

aurion
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Greetings from the UK.
I can do basic knitting but wanted to try making a pair of socks. I was given a free pattern when I bought the wool but am totally lost and hoping for some insight here.
Loretta

meganelizabeth
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Im a beginner knitter and it looks like everything I need to know is right here! Nice job guys

cbknitter
10-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Hi. I'm from Cape Breton, N.S. and have been knitting for over 55 yrs. Doing mostly charity knitting now.

Sylvia

susianna
10-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Hello everyone, I am thrilled to be here and grateful to have found this site. I am a new knitter, and it's so comforting to be part of a community where I can find help and encouragement along the way. I look forward to meeting yall!
Susi;)

srnewknit
10-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Hello all, my name is Shanika, and I am from the island of Barbados in the Caribbean sea. I am super new to knitting and will be buying my full supply of knitting tools tomorrow. I think this is a great site from what I've seen so far and I'm excited to get started.:woot:

ZoseyPosey
10-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Hello everyone. :) I've actually been lurking around the site/forums for a couple months, so I figured it was about time to introduce myself: I'm Kathleen and I live in Virginia. A couple of months ago I decided I needed a hobby and knitting it what I jumped to. The videos have definitely saved me more than once. ;)

Looking forward to talking with all of you more!

suzeeq
10-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Welcome Zosey. If there's ever anything you don't understand in a pattern feel free to post in the forums.

Ronie
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi I am Ronie from Oregon. I am fairly knew to knitting. I am learning all the time. I love all the information at our fingertips here on the internet and I have found "Knitting Help" a very useful site. I look forward to getting to know the group and since I belong to another Knitting forum I am sure there will be some familuar faces here.. Right now I am a sponge wanting to expand my experiances and knowledge so I can some day knit beautiful projects..:knitting:

Shandeh
10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:

Greetings from the UK.
I can do basic knitting but wanted to try making a pair of socks. I was given a free pattern when I bought the wool but am totally lost and hoping for some insight here.
Loretta

Loretta, there is a wonderful free sock tutorial available right here: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

Kimmers69
10-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I have been cross-stitching for almost 20 years, but it's so hard to get all my stuff out and quickly put it away with little ones about. I have 2 grown children and 2 little ones still at home. I also watch my 1-year-old grand-daughter four nights a week. I saw a facebook friend's photos of things she's knitted and I thought, "That's it! I have to learn to knit. The hats and sweaters are gorgeous, and I can't afford to pay someone to make them for me!"

I love this site! I can't read instructions (even with pictures) and figure things out. The videos have been so helpful. I made a coaster and I'm going to try to bind off tonight. :woot:

Shandeh
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting, Kimberley!
:hug:

chixdilla
10-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi all! I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I just started knitting last week, so most of this is very confusing to me! I've been practicing the basic stitches and I'm hoping to start my first real project soon. Any ideas or tips are welcome!

Shandeh
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi chixdilla! :waving:
Welcome to our little corner of the knitting world.

viznova
11-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Found this site when I was looking for some advice on how to 'knit in the round'.

Still checking it out but everyone seems very friendly and I'm looking forward to chatting. I have just taken up knitting again after about 30 years, I was doing lots of counted cross stitch but bad eyes and aching fingers meant I needed to find something that I can do without squinting and aching!cloud9

Shandeh
11-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Found this site when I was looking for some advice on how to 'knit in the round'.

Welcome! :waving:
I made a video on how to join in the round. Hope it helps!
Join in the Round Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ajp0QUWYkk&feature=youtu.be

knittingpurl
11-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I have been knitting off and on for years and am having trouble with a particular pattern of a baby blanket for my Great grandchild. The instructions say to cast on 150 stitches and after about 3 rows of the pattern, I have increased stitches by at least 4, equals 154. The pattern reads as follows:*K1. yo. K5. Sl1. K2tog. psso. K5. yo K1. Rep from * to end of row. This is the "2nd row. Rows 1 and 3 are Knit and Purl respectively. What am I doing wrong? I know the blanket isn't supposed to get wider and wider?? I wonder if the pattern is misprinted? Can you help me out with this? I have taken the whole thing apart three times.

Ingrid
11-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I have been knitting off and on for years and am having trouble with a particular pattern of a baby blanket for my Great grandchild. The instructions say to cast on 150 stitches and after about 3 rows of the pattern, I have increased stitches by at least 4, equals 154. The pattern reads as follows:*K1. yo. K5. Sl1. K2tog. psso. K5. yo K1. Rep from * to end of row. This is the "2nd row. Rows 1 and 3 are Knit and Purl respectively. What am I doing wrong? I know the blanket isn't supposed to get wider and wider?? I wonder if the pattern is misprinted? Can you help me out with this? I have taken the whole thing apart three times.

It appears that you're increasing 2 in each repeat and decreasing by 2 in each repeat, so it should work out evenly. Also, each section uses 15 stitches, so that should work out to 10 repeats. I don't think the pattern is incorrect from what you've said. It's possible that you're forgetting to pass the slipped stitch over the k2tog here and there and knitting it in the next row. One way to be sure is to put a marker every 15 stitches to make sure that you don't have any extra stitches in any one section.

MommyJenny
11-04-2011, 08:14 AM
So I logged in to Google this morning.. I was in need of help to learn how to M1 .. I am working on some felted slippers ... I have been knitting and crocheting for 12 years. I will admit I an far better at crocheting then knitting. But, my family really wants these slippers. I also have never worked with wool before or felted. So I am in for a treat. Also, the kids want a pair each for their teachers as thier christmas gifts. In total I have to make 9 pairs.
In all of my time searching I am surprised I have not come across your site sooner. A wonderful site of information. I am so happy I have joined.. I am looking forward to many good chats and making many more knitting friends. :)

Jenny :woot:

suzeeq
11-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Jenny. Hope you found the Increases page which shows a couple different ways to do a M1. There's a lot of resources here, welcome.

catherine514
11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi, Catherine here from the Green Mountains of Vermont. I hadn't knitted in years but now I'm working on & eager to begin more projects.

My husband was diagnosed with cancer & I've accompanied him to his chemotherapy treatments. While spending time in the oncology unit, I noticed that many of the women were wearing scarves to cover their newly bald heads. There is a look to a "chemo scarf" so I decided to begin making "chemo caps" to donate to the unit, maybe to bring a smile to a few faces. So far I've donated 9 & the 10th is on my needles. With winter fast approaching, I am now beginning to make caps, mittens & scarves for the local "Mitten Tree" project. I also belong to 2 other knitting sites & hope to gather knowledge, ideas & maybe a few patterns & ideas from the experience of others and maybe to pass along a few patterns as well.

I look forward to daily visits here while I'm resting my hands!!

Tarat
11-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi! I've been trolling this site and the forum for a while now, and finally decided to join. I'm new to knitting(about 2 months or so) and want to learn all I can.

Fun fact: My cousin recently called me old because I started knitting. I'm 21:mrgreen:

BarbF01
11-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Hi!

I just started knitting less than 2 weeks ago, and am loving it so far. Although, I am finding it very easy to get confused when I start looking at knitting anything more complicated than a straightforward scarf. Any ideas/advice for a brand new knitter who would like to further her skills already?

Jan in CA
11-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Welcome everyone! Barb, when I started knitting I learned a lot just reading the forums and reading simple patterns. When you first start reading them they look like another language, but you can use the glossary linked above or ask questions and pretty soon it starts to make sense. Don't be afraid to try things, too. Just cast on 25 or so stitches and practice different things. :thumbsup:

jewall
11-16-2011, 11:23 PM
I've been knitting for several years now, and I just bought my first spinning wheel so I can make my own yarn! It's an older one, so I'm not sure if it'll work... Hoping these forums can help! Thanks!

nana74331
11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I am very new to knitting (still learning to cast on and knit) then hoping to advance to purling and on to make something. I have crocheted since I got married a long long time ago. I decided that it was time to learn something new. I like the videos here very much.
Kathryn:woohoo:

bethanymarie
11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
This is awesome.

sampson001
11-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Have been a member of Ravelry for a couple of years and have just found this forum. Site looks great with lots of helpful fellow knitters and am looking forward to getting 'hooked' on the forum.

Judy:muah:

simplicity
11-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Hello! I haven't been on here in a long time and I miss this place. Such a nice place to hang out, meet some new friends and chat about knitting, yarn, and patterns! The people are friendly and helpful here. This is an awesome resource for help with your knitting! Also a great resource for crochet! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

meme37167
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I am
Marsha (meme37167) ,just learning to knit and will neeed tons of help:roflhard: i am 59 live in tennessee, I am learning the cast on and knit stitch. Married to Danny of 25 years:muah: I do various sewing,machine embroidery , crochet and other things
hope to hear from you soon
marsha:knitting:

nana74331
11-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi Marsha.
Now we can learn together, long distance.
Your sissy

ChatyKathy
11-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Hello,
I didnt know this site existed till today and man is it a BIG HELP! I know this type of format and can find my way around so easy...There is so much help and friendly people on here ready to help with anything...Thanks again!

Shandeh
11-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Welcome everyone!
I think you will like our little corner of the knitting world!
:hug:

dlhockett
11-30-2011, 07:58 AM
I love this sight! I have used your videos for a long time and found them very helpful.
I am twisting my stiches and can't figure out how. I thought at first I only did it when I purled but now I see I do it when I knit too??? Any ideas?

salmonmac
11-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Take another look at the knit video. It's possible that you're knitting into the back of the loop on the left needle instead of going into the st from left to right.

suzeeq
11-30-2011, 11:19 AM
One tip to prevent twisted sts is to work into the leg closest to the tip of the needle. So that way you don't have to change how you wrap stitches, or remember back or front, just the one closest to the end.

redneckmomma
12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey, I'm Karen or kareBear or Momma, depending on my mood lol. I have been knitting for a while, but I'm not very good at it. I learned to knit out of a book on chopsticks one day because I was bored and my mom was trying to teach my to crochet and the pattern book she had showed how to knit. I like the way knitting looks more then crochet so here I am. I just got caught up on my bills enough to get my internet back on and I'm learning all kinds of new things. I just learned how to double knit and discovered how much easier Norwegian purling is. I watched some videos on different co methods I didn't know exist and Portugese knitting. I'm glad I have internet again to watch videos on because my library banned YouTube for some reason. I can't wait to learn more about knitting and I am glad I found this site.

Moonie
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you so much for this site. I used many of the helpful guides and videos to help me learn how to knit.

My name is Amanda. I'm 24 and from Washington. :)

suzeeq
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi, knittingnanaet and welcome. You may get more answers to your question if you start a new thread in the How To forum; more people may be reading that.

dyad
12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
hi

I am Dee from chicago...I have started to knit a sweater for my unborn baby.... i have made sweater longtime before and now i have some problems knitting the neck . I found this forum helpful for many so like to interact with experts to complete the baby sweater...:knitting:

sampson001
12-05-2011, 04:32 AM
I am new to this wonderful site. I have been knitting for some 55 years, but never to old to learn new tips, hints and tricks. I love reading about whateverone else is knitting and the problems they are having and the great help you receive from other other forum members. Judy:knitting: :knitting:

Jan in CA
12-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help everyone!

If you have any questions please post them in the other forums we have for various topics. More people will see them that way and can help you.

lucky500
12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
hello i use to know how to knit, but i cant remember how to get started could someone please heip me:p

Keba
12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone! Since I'm not comfortable giving out my name right away, you can call me Keba. I've lurked around this forum from time to time, but I just registered today.

I have been knitting for five years. My favorite things to knit are actually toys. My love of toys is what inspired me to become a knitter in the first place. That, and I worked at Michaels for 10 months. You can't help but want to do something crafty if you work in a craft store.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll post here, but I'm sure that I'll find a lot of useful information in this forum. :mrgreen:

wynterphoenyx
12-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi all! I'm Kittie, another Washington knitter-in-training. I'm on day 2 of learning how to knit, so I won't be able to contribute much just yet aside from possible comic relief, but I look forward to learning more and getting to know the lovely folks here who've posted so much info that will be helpful to me someday :muah:

suzeeq
12-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Kittie, don't be shy about asking questions if you run into a problem or need some help. The General KNitting or How To forums are good for that.

Tntgin4118
12-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi, I'm Ginger.

I've been knitting about a month and finished my first project yesterday. :woot: It's a really simple garter stitch scarf with fringe. I found some pretty variegated yarn, some bamboo sticks and a book the covers the absolute basics. I'm very pleased with the results!

When I decided to move to the next lesson, I ended up with both frayed yarn and frayed nerves. Who would have thought that the alternate rows of purl and knit would make me so insane? There were suddenly extra stitches showing up! The book was no help in figuring out what I was doing wrong. I started searching the web for help and found this site. The videos are so wonderful and as it happens, someone else had posted a question on the forum that was exactly the same situation I was in... That accidental yarn over when switching from knit to purl was the problem.

I've registered so I can learn more and maybe someday can offer to help others. Thanks to the forum owner and all the moderators and oldbies. You folks have put together something really special here!

All the best,

Ginger

Flint
12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Heya all! I used to knit and crochet as a kid, but I left it off for a long time. Last June we got a rat terrier and I used the yarn and crochet hooks I'd had for years to make him some little sweaters! I used the internet to learn how to read patterns and make all the different stitches, and from there I started going nuts!

Knitting is an extremely new skill for me, and I don't like it as much as crochet, but I do use it a lot to accent my crochet projects. This site is pretty much exactly what I've been wishing for the last few months - finally! A place where I can ask questions of other people! Searching the internet hoping someone else had my problem just wasn't working well enough!

Clairethecreator
12-19-2011, 07:32 PM
How do you straighten out circular needles before knitting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ChatyKathy
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
I did mine in really hot water for a few seconds and then straighten them out. You dont want to leave the cable in too long.

Shandeh
12-19-2011, 08:40 PM
How do you straighten out circular needles before knitting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I wrap mine around my body, and watch tv for a while, with my arms holding the cable against me. My body heat loosens them up. :thumbsup:

RebeccaH
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I was looking for a sewing class at my local community college, but all they have is a knitting class. While knitting scares me, I decided to register! Since don't want to look like a fool I decided to investigate some techniques before going to class. This looks like a neat site! I subscribed to the iPad app. Wish me luck!

NiftyNeedles
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey! I'm Dustin, but you can call me NiftyNeedles! Or Nifty, or Needles... or just N, or Double N. xD
Really, I don't mind what you call me as long as it's not rude. (:

Anyways, I'm a 17 year old teenager, who has been knitting for about... 6 months or so. I started knitting simply because I went into my local thrift store and there were some Knitting Needles for sale, really cheap, so I got a pair. I picked up a skein or two of yarn as well for about 50 cents or so a piece and I was set!

I immediately went to the library and checked out a book about knitting, which didn't help me. At all. Eventually I found this website though and I picked up the skills extremely quickly.

I finally decided to make an account today. (:

Nice to meet you all!

colleen114
12-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone! I'm really new to knitting and brand new to this site. I'm working on my very first knitting project, which is a scarf in the style of those two-color chunky-striped scarves from the early Harry Potter movies. It's knit in the round and takes forever. I have three stripes of each color so far, slooowly working my way up to ten blue and nine bronze (but my yarn is more gold than bronze) stripes. It's been really fun... a friend who knits got me started out, and your videos helped me learn how to change colors when I got to the end of my first stripe. My goal is to finish this thing while it is still scarf-wearing weather outside. :-P

Shandeh
12-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum everyone! :hug:
Our forum is a great way to learn more about knitting, and make crafty friends.

HangingChads
12-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Thank you Amy. I have wanted to learn how to knit for a long time. I know how to crochet, but knitting seems to be more intimidating. Did I mention I am a guy? I like sweaters and I am crazy about DIY projects. I am also big into charity and I want to make blankets to give away anonymously. They don't have to look great, just be warm. I would like to use remnant yarn and I am hoping to get people to pitch it to me.

suzeeq
12-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Hi there, welcome. We have a few other guys who hang out here, it's all good. You can pick up yarn really cheap at thrift stores and buy nice sweaters for around $3 in them you can unravel and recycle the yarn. Crocheted afghans are another thing you can buy there inexpensively and as crochet takes about one third more yarn, there's a lot of yardage in a big one.

HangingChads
12-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi everyone

I'm Dave and I live in the UK. I'm 25, and have recently taken up knitting. I was taught how to knit by my grandmother at a young age, and found that it was very easy to pick it up again. I love the videos on this site - they're very helpful in learning techniques I've not come across before.

At the moment I'm knitting an afghan quilt - I've done about 20 squares out of the 112 required, so quite a way to go yet! It'd be interesting to see if there are a) any male knitters here, and b) any in their twenties!

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave. I just joined tonight and I also just bought my first set of knitting needles. I learned how to crochet a long time ago, but I haven't done it in a long time. I want to make blankets and things for the disadvantaged. I am 40, it surprises me that an even younger man is interested in knitting, but I saw a seventeen year old boy on the forum earlier tonight when I started looking around. I like to talk to people, but I don't really like to get out very much.

sampson001
12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Well it's now Christmas morning, can't sleep, wishing everyone a happy Christmas and our thoughts are with Darwin, lets pray that the Cyclone moves off out to see. My nephew lives in Darwin, so it is a bit worrying.

salmonmac
12-24-2011, 05:05 PM
A Merry Christmas to you and your family. Yes, we all hope for better weather in Darwin and for the safety of your family and everyone else in the area.

kconley
12-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Great site, very helpful. So glad I found it.

Coloradogal
12-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi. My name is Mandy and I am new to this forum! Looking forward to meeting/chatting...Glad that I found you!

LoveBugAngel
12-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Hello hello! I'm Angel I'm 26 :mrgreen: and here is my story...

I'm sorta new to knitting. I learned a basic stitch as a kid but never really made anything. A few years ago I picked up a book on knitting and taught myself how to purl and do a few other types of stitches. I ended up making a pair of leg warmers using straight needles. Then the rest of the instructions in my book made no sense and I made nothing else!

At the beginning of December a friend posted a photo of herself knitting on facebook and I decided to give knitting a try again! A scarf I thought! I can't go wrong knitting a scarf! So I walked into a local knitting shop here in Ottawa, Ontario and told the ladies I wanted to knit a scarf. I needed advice on yarn and needles. The ladies hooked me up! In 8 days I made my very first "Ribbed" scarf. I was so excited and so proud! After making my scarf I couldn't just stop there! I now needed a hat! So I went back to the knitting store with my scarf and told the ladies I wanted to make a hat! They hooked me up with circular needles and more yarn, but warned me I would need double pointed needles to finish the hat. I told them that I had went on youtube and found a video of a girl using circular needles giving step by step instructions on how to knit a beanie and she used circulars for the whole thing....

well lets just say I ended up having to cut my hat off my needles because I tried decreasing on the circulars and it got sooo tight. UGH

I was too embarassed to go back to the store and tell the ladies they were right, so I found another knitting store, bought DPN's and with the help of youtube, I finished my hat! It's pretty awesome up until the decrease where I made a few errors but I'm still proud.

I showed my hat to the new ladies at the new store, and they said I did a pretty good job, but noticed that I knit funny! I hold my yarn in my left hand. Also apparently I twist my stitches. I have been purling wrong this whole time. So my hat and scarf my purl stitches are all backwards!

Anyway now I am attempting to make another hat (purling the proper way now) and I am also attempting socks!! I have done only the cuff and I am stuck, so I am going to head back to the store tomorrow to ask for some help.

So yes this is my story from just this month haha. I am addicted! I really hope to be able to learn from all of you! Hopefully I will eventually be able to teach some newbies stuff too! Sorry for making my introduction so long but I thought it would be a good way for you to judge my skill level for future reference haha.

Can't wait to knit and chat with you all

xoxo

Oh! The socks I am currently trying to knit are Patons His'n Hers slouch socks. The pattern is in book 590 GG

suzeeq
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi, yes you can use circs for an entire hat, but they have to be longer than the ones you had. You would have to use the Magic Loop method for the top, maybe single loop for most of it. You probably wrap the purl sts backwards, but if you always work stitches into the leg closest to the tip of the needle they won't twist.

NORASS
12-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Hi,everybody!I am very glad to join this forum.
Wish veryone have a happy and health new year 2012:woot: :frog:

mrsamke
12-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi! Amy here. I'm in between crocheting and knitting. Just because I'm so frustrated with reading instructions in knitting patterns. I just make blankets that's it. I want to become a pro at knitting. Looking forward to read other posts if there's any tips for me. Thanks!

Dasha
12-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi all - I have been enjoying making socks, hand warmers with sock yarn on dpns. I am finding that my left 4th finger has a painful spot where the needle rests while I tension the yarn in my left hand. Just can't knit very long without the pain. Tried bandaids to cushion, then Coban stretch wrap, but the needle finds its groove and I finally stop because of the discomfort. Any ideas/products welcome for relief. I only knit continental (tension on the left).

aichihuahua
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I just discovered this site. Great! I learned how to knit when I was about 12 years old, but never did anything with it until a few weeks ago when I decided that I wanted to try my hand at it again (over 40 years later!!!!) I am amazed at how much I remember. My main purpose for re-familiarizing myself with knitting is that I wanted to make socks....lots and lots of socks, but I never learned how to knit in the round. Now, I have come into unknown territory and scratching my head over a few things that seem to be showing up that I don't think should be showing up in my rounding discoveries.... hopefully, I will get some questions answered and improve my knitting skills with this site. Thanks for being here. :muah:

Tracie1082
01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I love this website! I signed up about a week ago. My sister started teaching me to knit over Thanksgiving and since we don't live in the same state this site has been a tremendous help! I have read some of the forums and I have to say this site has the most wonderful, caring group of women I have ever met. I am excited to be here!

Antares
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I am finding that my left 4th finger has a painful spot where the needle rests while I tension the yarn in my left hand. Just can't knit very long without the pain. Tried bandaids to cushion, then Coban stretch wrap, but the needle finds its groove and I finally stop because of the discomfort. Any ideas/products welcome for relief. I only knit continental (tension on the left).

Welcome to KH, Dasha!

I often have a similar problem with crochet but with the yarn wrap. After several hours crocheting, I have worn a very painful groove into my yarn-holding finger.

Thankfully, though, there are many ways to knit and to hold the needles, so I recommend looking at some videos of different knitting styles. Yes, relearning will be frustrating, but, really, is it better to learn a new way or stop knitting altogether?

livn4them
01-05-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm Isabel :)
I used to knit when I was younger but gave it up to pursue other crafts/sewing/quilting etc!!!
I recently started knitting again...I feel like a TOTALLY NEW KNITTER! I can't tell you how many things I've started and pulled apart for one reason or another....Hopefully, I will get better!

lazulitic
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi, everyone!

I'm Lazulitic and although I've only been knitting about two months, I have to say that I really love it! It's really calming and it's just a lot of fun to do, especially when you finally complete something. So far, I've only made two scarves: One single-colored wool scarf, and another dual-colored scarf that I made for a friend for Christmas. It looked like she really liked it, so I'm happy. :)

I'm excited to have found a community that seems so nice and helpful.

Lorac50
01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Hello to all you knitters. My name is Carol and I am a beginner knitter or easy knitter looking to upgrage to the next rung on the ladder. I live in a small Eastern town in Eastern Ontario. I enjoy knitting even though I am left handed I have forced myself to learn to knit right handed. It can certainly put a strain on my brain sometimes and I find myself putting it away to try again another day.

I have not been through this forum yet but it looks very educational and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Thank you
Carol

salmonmac
01-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Welcome Isabel, lazulitic, and Carol! Great to have you here at KH and enjoy your knitting.

alitogata
01-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Hello everyone,

I am from Cyprus and very new to knitting.

I started knitting around 2 months ago after a friend teased me that I should start knitting if I was bored...After this I started watching videos on the net as I had no idea. Next day I bought my first needles and my first 2 yarns to make a two colors scarf.

After this I spent some time to learn some things...until I found how double knitting is done and....I got addicted to it...made another 3 scarves with double knit for friends all with different soccer teams theme. It takes me more time to create the pattern as I design the logo too but after the pattern is created double knitting is really fun...I have another 3 to do for friends cause they are after me now to make for them... But I want to make hats and socks too so I guess my next lesson has to be circular knitting...

My problem is that the circular needles I found here are all aluminum? that I can't stand the noise...:noway:

jjebbs
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I just wanted to interduce myself. Iam a fairly new knitter. I think this forum will be a lot of help I always have tons of questions. I live in Tulsa, Ok but Iam from San Diego, Ca. Well hello everybody I think i will have a blast getting to know everybody. :-P

sherbee
01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi I am excited to be here! :muah: :cheering:

salmonmac
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi alitogata, sherbee and JJebbs and welcome to KnittingHelp! Hope all your projects are going along well.

bizzielizzie
01-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Amy
thanks for this website.. what a great resource for the knitting community... although I can not figure out how to create a new post!?!?

I live in Randolph, Morris County New JErsey and would love to find a great yarn shop where I can buy supplies.. there is one in Morristown but they are not very kid friendly and my nine year old daughter is a knitter.. I don't want her to be discouraged. was wondering if you or anyone on the site knew of another option for a knitting store. many thanks, Dawn

suzeeq
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
On a forum page, there's an orangey box just about the thread lists that says "Start a New Thread". But this thread is just fine for new members to stop in and introduce themselves.

Joycee
01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Hello! I am new to the forum and also just a beginner at knitting. This looks like a good place to be. I live in Sulphur Springs Texas. I am retired and have many interests. I am 63 years old, have 2 grown children and 3 grand children. Looking forward to being a part of the group.

awnree1
01-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Hello,

I just decided to learn to knit a few days ago, I've been interested in learning for a while. At this time, I really don't know how to do anything except long tail cast on and working on knit stitch. (I have no idea how I am making my mistakes and how to fix them, but I am sure that is part of the learning process.)

I look forward to gaining more information from the videos and other users.

Melissa

suzeeq
01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Melissa. If you explore the pages Tips has some videos on how to fix mistakes and the How To forum has some stickied FAQs that may help you spot and prevent them.

ladytygrr
01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi everyone! I'm just learning how to knit - I'm on day 2 and digging it so far. I've always wanted to learn how to knit and, 4-1/2 months after having my first baby (a girl! cloud9 ), I decided it was time to give it a try.

I love how challenging it is but it actually lets me be in a meditative, calming state at the same time. And I can't WAIT to make something for my daughter.

Thank you so much for this website. I bought 2 separate how-to books and just couldn't even figure out how to cast on from them. Then I found this site and I've already started practicing the knit & purl stitches - yay! :happydance:

tehale
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm very excited to find this site! I'm a glass bead artist/jewelry maker but I want to combine my work with fiber. I just joined today and have already found a number of very helpful posts. I look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible and thank you in advance for all your wisdom!

salmonmac
01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Amy
thanks for this website.. what a great resource for the knitting community... although I can not figure out how to create a new post!?!?

I live in Randolph, Morris County New JErsey and would love to find a great yarn shop where I can buy supplies.. there is one in Morristown but they are not very kid friendly and my nine year old daughter is a knitter.. I don't want her to be discouraged. was wondering if you or anyone on the site knew of another option for a knitting store. many thanks, Dawn

Try Googling yarn or knitting shops near Randolph NJ. Several pop up but I'm not sure how close they are to you. Welcome to KH!

Squirrel
01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi I am from Lincolnshire in the Uk started knitting as a young child. Started again after a few years of not knitting last summer. Started again as had finished a course at college and had several months before starting degree so needed to occupy brain and hands otherwise the diet would fail( had lost three stone at that point) knitted two cardigans fir myself in six weeks then back to study. However have made two vowel types scarfs one for me then other for daughter after she saw mine. Knitted a soft toy monkey and started on lacy shawl . Other than sewing I make dance and dressing up costumes work full time teaching in a hospital and ballroom dance Streetdance and zumba

oliveoyle
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi my name is Gill and my gran taught me to knit as a child. Not knitted for years but as it's winter I decided to take it up again. Only trying very basic patterns at the moment! I live in Fethiye, Turkey with my husband, 2 dogs and a cat who thinks she is a dog:)

Hope somebody can help me with any questions I've got:knitting:

Thanks

louskou
01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Louise. I am a Canadian living in Greece. Knitting is my hobby. Professionally I edit books and prepare programs for on-the-job training for small businesses. I try to challenge myself by trying to learn a new technique for each new knitting project. I find that co-learning works well in our training sessions so I believe that a knitting forum will help me improve my technique. It is nice to meet you all.

Twilightreader
01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi, my handle is twilightreader, I'm 23, just learning to knit for the first time with the help of the videos here and a Learn to Knit CD I have. I hope to make one of the Christmas presents I'll be giving to everyone in my family this year. All my giftees live far enough away I can hide it easily. Thanks for the help!

Cee
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Ah Just found this, I hastily said hi somewhere else but nevertheless for all of you who missed it here I am, digging in and hoping to relearn all that was forgot and learn a far lot more xx

salmonmac
02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi Squirrel, Gill, Louisa and Twilightreader and welcome to Knitting Help! Glad you are starting, continuing or picking up knitting again.

Shandeh
02-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone! :hug:

ragsdale2
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
I just found The Knitting Help and love it. I have it on my IPad and my IPhone. I have been knitting several years but nothing very challenging until now. I am trying it with the help of you all. There is not any knitters in this part of Texas.

ragsdale2
02-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Ah Just found this, I hastily said hi somewhere else but nevertheless for all of you who missed it here I am, digging in and hoping to relearn all that was forgot and learn a far lot more xx

I also just joined and I am so glad to find this site. I also hope to learn a lot.

Jeremy
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Welcome to everyone who just joined:hug:

DoreenBroughm
02-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Hello.
I'm just new to this site and wanted to say hi to all the crafters. I have been knitting and crocheting for over 30 years now and I love it.
Hope to make all kinds of crafting friends and look forward to displaying and seeing all of the items that have been made.

Jeremy
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Welcome Doreen!:hug:

Baboosister
02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi all! New to the site--need help with what I believe is an error in a Debbie Bliss pattern. Went to her site, but no help there. Is this the correct place to seek help with a particular pattern? Am in Mexico for 6 months and have nowhere to go for help here! Adios

Jeremy
02-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi all! New to the site--need help with what I believe is an error in a Debbie Bliss pattern. Went to her site, but no help there. Is this the correct place to seek help with a particular pattern? Am in Mexico for 6 months and have nowhere to go for help here! Adios

Here is her errata page
http://www.debbieblissonline.com/PatternRevision.asp

The individual books and patterns are listed so I hope this helps.
Welcome to the Forum:hug:
Jeremy

annette2ya
02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I taught myself to knit this christmas, I'm really excited, I'm working on a "Fisherman's Rib Beret with Picot Brim" it's coming along great, except I'm getting close to the end. I'm in the k1 p1 rib of 4 rows on 5th row I'm to decrease, I've inserted a lifeline cuz I've tried several ways to decrease and it doesn't come out right. So Please help! Thank you very much

annette2ya
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Welcome to everyone who just joined:hug:

I need help, are you still on?

Jeremy
02-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I need help, are you still on?

Hi Annette,

Its hard to tell exactly what is going on. If you give us the exact directions we might be able to be of more help. Also, your questions will be answered a lot quicker if you post in one of the sub forums. For instance, your question would be most appropriate in Pattern Central. Hope this helps, great to have you here.
Jeremy

NoClueKnitter
02-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Hello all. I am a 23 year old ambulance dispatcher by night and a person who has no idea who to knit by day. I am mainly here looking to meet and get to know people with similar interests as me and to help me along in my journey of becoming a better knitter. I currently only have a few looms and a couple bundles of yarn and a hook and large plastic needle. What are some of the essential items I need and possible good online stores for these items?

Thank you and I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Josh

Jan in CA
02-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Hello all. I am a 23 year old ambulance dispatcher by night and a person who has no idea who to knit by day. I am mainly here looking to meet and get to know people with similar interests as me and to help me along in my journey of becoming a better knitter. I currently only have a few looms and a couple bundles of yarn and a hook and large plastic needle. What are some of the essential items I need and possible good online stores for these items?

Thank you and I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Everyone here has similar interests. Basically you need 2 needles of the same size or a set of circular needles (2 needles connected by a cable) and smooth, light colored yarn

There are several posts about what essential items you need to start knitting.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107737
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96933&highlight=knitting+notions

Josh[/quote]

RosaMarie
02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Hello all!

Funny that the first post I would see in this thread would be someone from my neck of the woods. Hi Doreen! I'm also from Nova Scotia, just outside of Halifax though.

Nice to meet all of you.

Jeremy
02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Welcome RosaMarie

Agentmdw
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi all MY names Melissa.:hug: Im 23 years old and have NO clue whatsoever how to knit or anything knitting related. When I was about 16 I used to sew my own clothes but thats a long time ago :) and as far as my craftiness went. Im expecting baby #2 solo and here to learn to knit anything baby related, mostly diaper covers, and things like that.

Jan in CA
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Welcome, Melissa! This is the place to learn! Check out the videos and post in one of the forums if you have questions!

Agentmdw
02-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Thank you Jan :)

lorna
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Hello all...

I've actually gone backwards and already posted asking for help without bothering to introduce myself :oops:

I started knitting a few months ago and so far have learnt everything I know from the videos on this site :)

So thank you for your videos and replies to my pleas for assistance already!

momknit
03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm new at this, but I love this site and have already been helped. Looking forward to getting lots of advice and help.

k2togpsso
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I am new to this site after a co worker mentioned it to me. I am definitely having fun looking around. It's very great to see some males who knit. It seems to be a dying art and I feel bad for that. My 5th grade teacher taught me how to knit and that was 50 yrs ago....YIKES!!!! I have never advanced much beyond afghans, shawls, and trying socks but would like to. My mom-in-law is an advanced knitter and has given me some grrrrreat patterns. Has anyone ever heard of the Potato chip scarf?????? I have the pattern and can't wait to start it. BTW, the knitting emoticon is cute as can be.:knitting: :grphug:

ijustwannaknit
03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Hello Fellow Knitters!

I just joined the group because I am tired of being frustrated when I hit a speed-bump in my projects. I know there are really great people out there who know what they're doing, and I'd love to share in some of that knowledge. Please! I'm desperate! LOL. Just kidding. I learned to knit from my mom when I was 10 years old, but she is left-handed and always had a hard time teaching me. In fact, I think I learned left-handed, and all I knew how to do was the garter stitch. I had so much fun knitting things back then, even though I never followed a pattern or tried different stitches. Over the years though, I wanted to branch out, so I took a class, got my general basic skills up, and have started to force new and exciting projects on myself ever since.

Due to being a workaholic, and now a new mother, my knitting has taken a backseat, but I am working to reclaim it, and trying to still challenge myself past the basics. I also just recently joined a charity knitting group, so I definitely would love to become more comfortable with what I'm doing.

So, I'm taking a look around, trying to familiarize myself with the site, and how to best be a member on it, and look forward to hopefully solving some of these brain-benders for myself!

I'm off to post my first non-silly question right now! :happydance:

Thanks in advance so much for all your help. I'm glad to share a passion with other enthusiasts. :thumbsup: :knitting:

CrystalAnne
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM
I am so excited to have found a site with a forum about KNITTING! I drive my husband crazy jabbering about it, lol. I just picked it up in the last month or so and love how challenging it is.

I am Crystal (Obvious by my screen name lol) and have four kids ages 7, 2, 11mo and 11 mo. (girl boy girl girl). I love crocheting and knitting stuff for my kids, I don't know what I'll do when they grow up and don't want to wear the things I make anymore. :) I stay home with my kids currently but worked as an RN in a past life. I can't wait to get to know everyone here :D

Jan in CA
03-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Welcome everyone! Please check out all the forums, ask questions and join the fun! :yay:

susiebearsie
03-18-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm happy to have found this site! So much info! I'm Susie, I live in Nebraska.
I have been knitting off and on for the past 50 years I still have a lot to learn!! I don't have much experience with forums, I hope to figure it all out soon. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and learning new things.
Thanks for such a great site:muah:

ampace
03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi,

My name is Annette, alias ampace, I am a newbie to Knitting Help. I have just picked up my knitting(entrelac purse) again after 2 years. I have been knitting off and on for 25 years but still consider myself an intermediate knitter. I put the entrelac purse down 2 years ago because of frustration and have threatened to put it down again until I joined KnittingHelp. Everyone that has responded to my problem has been wonderful. I am still having problems with the purse but feel confident that I will finally finish it soon with a little help from my friends. Thanks for the input.:grphug:

knittybynature
03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
Long time reader, first time poster.

Nice to meet you.

kbn

salmonmac
03-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi Susie, Annette, and kbn and welcome to KnittingHelp! Great to have you here for the first time or as a first time poster. Annette, the entrelac purse sounds lovely and we all look forward to seeing a picture of the finished work.

shiningdown
04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Hi, I'm new to knitting and this forum. I am glad to have found this site, though I learned how to knit from youtube! I should also probably mention my name is Carinne. There's more about meh in my siggy.

anvilplanet
04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Just started two weeks ago. I have my first class tonight in Sacramento. I have to say, this seems completely IMPOSSIBLE to me right now. My hands feel like they just don't have the right muscles in them. I might as well be trying to type with my toes. Way harder than I thought it was going to be. I'm gonna stick with it though.

Just venting! It will be exciting to get going. I like this site a lot so far.

Take care,
Alan

salmonmac
04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome Carinne and Alan! Glad you found the site. Whether you're just staring out pre-lessons or have already learned, it's great to have you here. We're open for any problems or questions.

Sarahb69
04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I just wanted to pop on and say hi.

Knitting has become one of my quiet time stress-relief hobbies. I spend much of my knitting time making cloths, though I have done other easy stuff like scarves, baby blankets and even a couple of toques.

I have my first grand-baby due in October, so I'll be starting on the baby projects soon.:)

Jan in CA
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Welcome everyone!

Alan, it feels strange and awkward to everyone when they start. Just hang in there and your hands and brain will develop a new skill. :thumbsup:

magoo2
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

My mom always knitted the cutest things - Christmas toilet paper covers, dog blankets, etc. I always wanted, but never did, start. Is there a place or way anyone would suggest I go to just to learn the real basics? I live in Portland, ME, and do not know anyone who knits. I have 3 dogs and would love to learn how to make them nice, warm woolen sweaters for the cold winters here.
Thanks for any and all help!
Meg;)

suzeeq
04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
You can start with the How To videos here. Get some size 10 needles, medium thick yarn that's lighter colored and not fuzzy and just practice.

TwoPeasInAPod
04-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi, I must say that the KnittingHelp site has kept me in "stitches"! The videos are terrific ... When I get stuck I search the site for a video that I can watch till I get it.

I am left-handed but knit right-handed ... Kind of weird but that is just how I learned.

My latest project calls for DPN ..... Once I figured out what they were I sought a video to learn how to knit with them.

From watching Amy demonstrate it looked like a totally different method of knitting .... Was that Continental knitting? Or am I totally confused with which way the working yarn goes over the needle??

Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

suzeeq
04-14-2012, 11:25 PM
When working in the round, you wrap the sts the same way as knitting on straight needles. And yes, she knits continentally.

tall1teach
04-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Does anyone out there know why my yarn is twisting up on me while I am knitting. I have taken the tread from the outside of the yarn to make the ball. As I am knitting, the threads keep twisting tighter and tighter. Grrrrr.

Jill:knitting:

tall1teach
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Hello y'all. I am knitting a blanket, and my yarn is tightening as I knit. What is mean is that the yarn is twisting tighter as I keep knitting. Did I roll my ball of yarn up incorrectly? I started rolling from the outside of the skein in.

Jill

suzeeq
04-16-2012, 11:59 PM
It may be how you wrap the yarn around the needle, or which direction you turn your work at the end of the row. If you always turn the same direction it'll twist, so alternate at the end of each row. You can let the work dangle from the skein to let it untwist every few rows - some yarns are just like that too.

Pemby
04-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Does anyone have the pattern for the hat that goes with the Corry’s Baby Sweater. The hat pattern is incomplete and I am not sure how to finish it.

Thanks!

Jeremy
04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Welcome Yarnbazaar!:hug:

sandybareham
05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
sandybareham :muah:

Magdalen
05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I am knitting the Tennis Vest from "60 Quick Baby Knits" (cascade 220 Superwash) Book designed by Heidi Kozar. When I got to the change of color yarn part, after the ribbing section of the vest I find it is not making sense to me. Does anybody out there know this pattern or how I get in touch with the designer to get some instruction? Feelin' Frustrated!

suzeeq
05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Magdalen. You might get more response if you start a new thread in the Pattern Central forum. I don't have an answer for you, though if you can write a few lines where you're stuck that may help.

knittingknewb
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Hello! I've been using the site for some time, and it's been very helpful!

I decided to register today because I needed some more help, and thought it couldn't hurt to come in and maybe make some new friends.

Always wanted to knit, due to my mother being a knitter, but she never got the chance to teach me how to do so! I'm learning myself with the help of this site and my local JoAnn's.

Thank you for your very helpful and clear, concise directions on just about every question I've ever had! :muah:

Laura

salmonmac
05-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi Laurel, Welcome to KnittingHelp. Glad you've been able to use the site and find answers to your questions!

kia123
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a retired RN from RI. I have 2 grown sons and 3 grandchildren all living close by. I have knitted off and on for years, starting at my mother's knee. Haven't knitted socks for years but started last month on dpn's. I also experimented with magic loop socks and now know that's the way to go for me.
Thank you for having this forum and being able to keep in touch with other knitters.

Kanaye
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone. I'm Kanaye (Kuh-nay). I'm first and foremost a crocheter. I've been knitting for about a year now.

I'm almost finished with my first knitted sweater, an Elizabeth Zimmerman. I'm so excited, even though it has been such a pain. 3 months and I'm still working on it.

I just found this site and wonder why I didn't find it sooner. It would have been very helpful a year ago.

schanaha
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
a realy great side, i love it :muah:

thinkativeone
05-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Hi. =) I just started knitting and learning last November. I look forward to learning new techniques and asking questions about various things here! I'm really enjoying knitting. There is something so soothing and simultaneously triumphant about turning a piece of string into a substantial piece. :woohoo: :aww:

Rockmelon
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
New to Knitting!
Seven years after retirement and I was booored! So in November 2011, I picked up a pair of knitting needles and began knitting squares which consisted of 'knit, rip apart', again and again! Being a perfectionist, I was determined to be able to knit without obvious errors and I'm quite near that point. Or I should say that I am now able to recognize errors much more quickly and am able to 'save' the project.

In February 2012, my grandson begged me to make him a hat. (Up to this point I had not actually 'made' anything). But I knitted a square, sewed up the back, made a pom pom and I finally had a hat!

Since then, I've probably knitted 25 hats and my progress has been amazing. No fancy stitches....but I have fun with stripes. My knitting supplies consist of lots of circular needles and bulky yarn which I prefer over that skinny little yarn I call string.

So I just wanted to say "Hello" to those reading this forum and I would be happy to hear from you and how you got into this obsession!

Have a GREAT DAY!

salmonmac
05-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Welcome all, new knitters and returning knitters! Glad you found KH and looking forward to seeing your finished projects.

MizuNeko
05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Hello my name is Anita and I'm glad I found this site by way of You Tube, anyway I hope to learn a lot and improve on my knitting as well as make some friends. Take care