PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

few
05-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I've been knitting for 35 years, but now am trying to felt. I'm trying to find out how to predict wool shrinkage so that I can knit pillows to needle felt later?

suzeeq
05-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Make a sample - work it to the gauge the pillow patterns are (or whatever loose gauge you use) and felt it, measuring before and after.

ctaknits
05-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Hello - my name is Charlotte (mamacharlotte on Ravelry):knitting: . I have been knitting for 10 years and crocheting for 42 years. I am looking for how to duplicate stitch on the purl side.

salmonmac
05-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi and welcome to KH!
Charlotte, it's not as obvious when you do duplicate st on the purl side but here's one way (http://blog.fabric.com/2011/04/knitting_duplicate_stitch.html) to do it. I think it's much more effective from the knit side but this may work for you.

iSpinner
05-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi all I'm new to the forum and am so excited to be here. My name is Bren, from Lawton, OK. I'm a full time mom, wife and recently, a full time student. I finally decided going back to school for radiology and I'm so proud of myself. For a while I thought I was too old to learn something new as I'm pushing 40 (eeek!), but I'm seeing now you're never too old to learn and never too old to go back to college.

I've been knitting and weaving for over 10 years now but caught the spinning bug really really bad about 6 months ago and I LOVE it!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!! I look forward to becoming an active member in this forum. So nice to meet everyone here:muah: !!

salmonmac
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to KnittingHelp! Radiology is a wonderful field to study and I wish you all the best with it.

cryaegm
06-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Hi, everyone. I found this website really helpful since I'm teaching myself how to knit. I just started a week ago. I know both English and Continental ways of knitting, but I find myself to prefer Continental. I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy knitting, but I do.

I'm a writer who decided to knit after my mom told me she wanted to show someone how (or try to; she hasn't knit for 32 or 33 years) and pass it down the family. I was also inspired by my grandmother's work, wanting to do something she did since I barely knew her. So far, I know how to garter stitch both the English and Continental, same with purling, stockinette, moss stitch, and ribbing. I'm working on increases right now, then I'll work on decreases. I can't wait to work on cable stitching.

Some of it is a bit overwhelming, but the more I work with it, the faster I become and get excited how far I've gotten in a week. I'm doing leg warmers right now. I can't wait to gain more experience with knitting. :)

Jeremy
06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Wow! For just starting a week or so ago you sure have learned a lot.
Welcome to our community.

Jeremy

kclenn12
06-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi i'm karen i learned how to knit when i was seven cause my mam was sick of knitting me barbie clothes. :) I've only recently taken it up again and i can't wait to talk to everyone on the forum! :cheering:

Jeremy
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Welcome to the Forum! We're really happy you joined.

Rainyseason
06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
What a fantastic site. I can't believe I've never seen it before.
And iam also here to know about more things of this site....
We can learn many different idea from this..

Swansoda
06-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Hello, my name is Nicole. I found this forum thru google search. I am new to knitting. I am currently try to teach myself how.

Swansoda
06-28-2012, 06:37 AM
and I need help with a starter pattern. I wanted to find a forum where I could show a picture I took of my problem but this forum is saying I need at least 2 posts before I can link a picture, so here is 2 posts, and hopefully it'll let me now.

salmonmac
06-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi Nicole and welcome. The picture in your other post worked out perfectly.

Swansoda
06-28-2012, 07:58 AM
thanks and ok cool

simplytracy63
07-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I have been using this site for a while. I am a self taught beginner and need all the help I can get :)

KowhaiMoanaLee
07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
i have just started to learn to knit and unfortunatel my grandmother is not around to teach me anymmore :( But i am soo loving this site as everyone is so helpful and answers my questions even tho sometimes i think the are probably very obvious answers but hey i wouldn't know . Anyway im from New Zealand am 22 And just learning and loving knitting atm
:):knitting:

salmonmac
07-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Welcome SimplyTracy and KowhaiMoanaLee. It's great to have you here and part of the forum.

mapknitter
07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I agree!

deanyoda
07-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Thanks a lot i like this site..great resources. Im sure we can find some help with spinning questions here fior the spinners in the family.

Regards DEan

chaseb
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Hoping for help please......I am ready to decrease my sweater for the armholes. The pattern is K2, P4 across the row. Supposed to decrease 3 at beg and end of row. Would I continue with the pattern when decreasing? Tried this but both ends don't look the same. ???

Jeremy
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

suzeeq
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
chaseb, uou'd probably get more answers if you post this in the How To forum.

Do you k2 p4 across on all rows, or just the next one? BO 3 sts at the beg of the row, then start with the 5th st of the pattern (because the 4th st was used in the BO). Then BO 3 at the beginning of the next row and start that row with the 5th st. If it's a rib pattern, knit all the stitches however they look on the row you're on. If it's not, we need more more information. Please post that in its own thread on the other forum.

chaseb
07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
chaseb, uou'd probably get more answers if you post this in the How To forum.

Do you k2 p4 across on all rows, or just the next one? BO 3 sts at the beg of the row, then start with the 5th st of the pattern (because the 4th st was used in the BO). Then BO 3 at the beginning of the next row and start that row with the 5th st. If it's a rib pattern, knit all the stitches however they look on the row you're on. If it's not, we need more more information. Please post that in its own thread on the other forum.

It is all ribbing rows at this point. 2nd row of decreasing will be P2,
K4 and so on. I understand what you are saying above. I will proceed as you suggested - makes sense. thank you very much. Will ask ?'s in the "How to Forum" in future. good advice.

Jan in CA
07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome to all the new members!

Please check out all the great forums we have! Questions asked in those forums may be answered more quickly and by more people. :thumbsup:

Linnysews
08-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Hello. My name is Linny and I live in Pittsburgh.
I have knit for years, but just simple things. Married 36 yrs with 2 children/5 grandchildren.

I am glad to be part of this forum and hope to get lots of good advise and help.

salmonmac
08-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi Linny and welcome to Knitting Help. Great to have you here!

beknits
08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Hello and thanks for your site, I have been knitting since I was a child, that over 40 years of knitting (not saying how far over 40)
I been teaching knitting off and on for 20 years. I design most of my work, even if I start with a pattern I just can't help myself I have to change it and make it my own. I just went back to work in a yarn store part time and teaching the knitting classes. Looking forward to getting to know ya'll and helping you with your problems as well as learning from you.

Rachael1989
08-08-2012, 03:40 PM
What a fantastic site. I can't believe I've never seen it before - it would have been a huge help when I was learning the basics. If you need any help, just ask!

Thanks for this great resource.

Krista Jo
A Canadian currently in South Korea
Hello! I'm so glad I found this website! I just started knitting and I am having a difficult time finding instructions that are clear to me. I have learned how to cast on and I am trying to move ahead to make Row 1, but every time I try, the yarn is almost to tight to continue pulling through to the right needle. Help??

suzeeq
08-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Rachael. Your cast on may be too tight - try not pulling on the yarn when you cast on, or hold both needles together for the cast on, then pull one out to work the first row.

knittingmary
08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
What a great site! I've been knitting and chrocheting for years but I am new to the online community and hope to find some new ideas on here.

TeeBee
08-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi there!

I am so happy to have rediscovered this site! I learned to knit several years ago using the English method. I like to throw! However, due to some physical problems with my right arm and hand, I need to find another (less painful) way to knit. Different motions... So, here I am, glad to be back again!!! :woohoo:

I have already watched the continental videos, which are a great help! One important thing I learned the hard way (youtube, :?? )... There are different ways of purling, but the one I learned on this site is great! Other methods twist the stitch so that you have to k into the back of the st to untwist later...ugh!

Ah well, practice makes perfect, right? I look forward to learning and knitting along with y'all!

Jeremy
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Welcome back TeeBee. Don't give up trying on the continental method. It can take a while to find a way of purling that fits you.:hug:

shadowfox118
08-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to this site, kinda, I am still very much a beginner, and I love knitting. :) My name is Caitlyn by the way. I'm 16 right now, going on 17 in exactly 5 months, I can't wait to be a junior and go back to school this year to see all of my friends. Well, I love this site, and hope to learn lots from all of you guys, and make new friends :) :knitting: right now I am knitting this scarf http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/drop-stitch-scarf-2 for my boyfriend, James.

Jeremy
08-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the site. Before you make a sweater for James, better read up on the "curse":)

shadowfox118
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the site. Before you make a sweater for James, better read up on the "curse":)
Not gonna make him a sweeter, he doesn't like long sleeved things

KristinMei
08-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi all! I'm really glad I found this forum! I've already seen so many helpful posts. :)

I am a newbie knitter and have completed only a handful of small scarf projects and one sampler afghan project. I'll try to post a picture of the afghan later, I love it. I'm working on a baby blanket right now, but I'd like to expand my skills into the world of garments. I've practiced some knitting in the round on DPNs and plan to try circulars next. I am also a novice at crochet and learned from my great-grandma when I was quite young. I thought I had forgotten how to crochet till I wanted to put a border on my afghan and fortunately my hands remembered the motions! I'm looking forward to "meeting" and learning from all of you!

Jeremy
08-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the forum. There is a crochet sub forum here for those who are interested.

shadowfox118
08-24-2012, 04:55 PM
What is the "curse" though?

salmonmac
08-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Here's an earlier thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64077&highlight=curse+love+sweater) about the curse of the boyfriend sweater. I think you're safe with a scarf though. Pobably a hat would work too.

Godwit
08-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Hello!
I'm a highly new knitter here, as in just picked up my first needles today :) out of sheer boredom I decided id pick up a new hobby and decided knitting needed to be tried out! I'm 21, work early morning so most of my days after work I spend sitting around watching tv so now I have something to do with my hands. The only thing is that I'm slightly intimidated by the amount of terminology that apparently exists in the knitting world! Any advice?

salmonmac
08-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Welcome to knitting and to Knitting Help! There are some new terms to learn and maybe some new ways of using old ones but take it one step at a time. Use the Glossary tab at the top of this page. There are practical and useful definitions of terms and in many cases, videos to demonstrate. The Free Videos tab has some great videos too. And you can always ask here.

gypsycream
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm addicted to designing and knitting bears :knitting:

I live in the UK and I've stumbled across this amazing place while I was searching for a neat and tidy way to sew up. Looks to be a lovely place to spend a few hours chatting to other knitting addicts :)

Looking forwards to meeting you all.

Jeremy
08-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Welcome GypsyCream. I was just in the UK this month. My younger son lives in London and my wife and I went to visit.

BrunhildeWarMaiden
08-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Hello,
I am new to this Forum but not new to knitting. My grandmother taught me and my brother to knit when I was 7 years old. I have loved knitting ever since! My brother....well, he never continued with knitting!

ctsec69
08-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Pattern calls for M1R and M1L. Have seen your video on how to do it but do I actually have to increase that way. Can't I do it the old fashion way.

suzeeq
08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi and welcome. This thread it more for saying hello. You'll get more replies if you post in the General Knitting or How To forums. Also tells us what pattern you're doing, sometimes you can substitute, but it depends what it is and where you do it.

AJackson
09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I just started knitting this year after taking a class at my local library. I've already completed a couple of projects and am now starting on an afghan. I found this site about a week ago and have already learned so much from browsing and watching the videos. Thank you all for the great information - this site is wonderful! :)

Amanda

salmonmac
09-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi Amanda and welcome to KnittingHelp! That's awfully nice of your library to host a knitting class. Glad you learned and are enjoying knitting.

Shai
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Just picked up my first set of needles couple days ago and I'm very excited about starting a new hobby. I work 3rd shift 12 hours a day mainly on weekends and I needed something to keep me busy during the week. I'm currently beginning a scarf and I'm stuck. I did something wrong and cannot figure it out. Any help would be awesome!! Look forward to making friends. :woohoo:

PearlB3
09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi, :waving: Im a newish knitter. Ive crocheted for years and have taken up knitting for about the last 6 months. I started with knifty knitter looms and made a bunch of stuff. I decided to get needles and give them a try. It took me awhile to get used to holding them, I did, and now Im in love with knitting. :inlove:

I love yarn. I love all the different colors, and being able to choose what colors you want.

I joined ravlery, and I love knitpicks. I love looking through patterns.

So far Ive made mostly socks. Im trying to learn sweaters now. Im almost done with one shirt/light sweater. I just have to finish off one sleeve. Its a raglan. Ive got another sweater going, its a sew together type. Its also what got me to seeking forums!!

Im looking forward to many more projects and years of knitting, and am happy I found this forum. Im looking forward to chatting with other knitters.

Ive also dabbled a bit with drop spindling. I would love to be able to spin my own yarn.

I know before long Im going to want to dye my own yarns as well. :mrgreen:

Tntgin4118
09-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi Pearl and welcome! There are really helpful people here and tons of people with experience with pointy sticks and string:yay: I'm self and book taught and have only been knitting for about 10 months. This is the place I come for help, ideas and sometimes just to hang out and read what others are up to.

Very nice to meet you!

PearlB3
09-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Thank you, Nice to meet you too! :) Im self taught also, mostly internet and youtube.

KnittingHelp has become my main place to learn. Im glad I joined the forum, it looks like its going to be fun :cheering: plus I like looking at all the projects people are working on. :) It does give a person a lot of ideas :woohoo:

salmonmac
09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi and welcome Shai, Pearl and Ginger. Great to have you all here. Shai, whatever you question there's a place to ask it and we'll all by happy to try and give you an answer or two. Glad you all found KH!

Anamiko
09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Hiya, I'm Kelsey, brand new knitter here. If anybody can recommend some patterns to start off with that would be so helpful.

I tried to make a scarf once, but gave it up quite quickly, now I'm ready to start again, I think...

The reason I'm restarting is because of a book I read called Witches on Parole (trilogy). If you like fantasy (and knitting, there is not tons but it plays a big role) you should give it a read. XD

suzeeq
09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi kelsey - what would you like to make? Scarves can get very boring after a couple feet, so you might want to find a smaller project. Or don't do a project at all - make a sampler. CO 20-30 sts and practice the stitches, increases, decreases, fancy stitches, whatever, use the videos on the Tips page for how to do ribbing or seed stitch. The Pattern pages have some fairly easy ones you can look through.

Anamiko
09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I think I might try my hand at making socks. XD

suzeeq
09-11-2012, 06:46 PM
No problem. Socks are small. If you don't find anything on this site, check www.knittingpatterncentral.com, www.knitty.com or www.dailyknitter.com - there should be something on those sites you'd like.

salmonmac
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Socks are good and there are lost of useful techniques to learn while you're making them. This (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) is a great step-by-step tutorial for socks. Everything you need to know.
Welcome to KH!

DavidSydney63
09-13-2012, 06:59 AM
I also like this site and find it FAR more helpful than others. I'm a knitter of intermediate skill from way back. I'm also secretary of Sutherland Shire Spinners and Weavers Inc., a social group (mainly spinners and weavers but quite a few knitters).

I guess I'd like to learn to spin wool, one day. I just don't have time.

I live in Sydney, Australia (near to the airport).

David xo

Jan in CA
09-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Welcome to all the new members! :cheering:

lesleyb
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi, mine name is Lesley and I live in the UK, I have been knitting for several years but am never satisfied with what I make, hoping for sum hints.

suzeeq
09-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi lesley. If you could tell us why you're not happy with the items you make we can be more specific in helping you. Knitting takes time and practice to get better at, and most of the time it doesn't look perfect on the needles but will be a lot better looking when you wash or block it. You can post a new thread in the General Knitting or How To forums.

MaryTre
09-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi! Just found this site this morning. Looks good!

Fuggles
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi I am Josh, I am 37 and I work road construction. I have tried to knit a couple things, they didn't turn out all that great. I taught myself off of youtube videos. I was referred here by a friend. I am certain that the information here will help me out better than youtube does.

suzeeq
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi Josh, welcome. Well you can get a lot better feedback here than the Youtube videos if you're not sure about something.

Jan in CA
09-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome Josh! Welcome Mary! Glad to have you both here!!

samshal
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi, my Samira and I am a new knitter living in NYC. I was taught the basics (knit and purl) by a coworker back in April and have been hooked ever since. So far I've made an infinity scarf, a beanie, a baby hat and some fingerless mittens. I've learned as I go along by watching videos on youtube and browsing here and on ravelry. I really enjoy reading all the posts here and have picked up many tricks and techniques
:knitting: :mrgreen:

salmonmac
09-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Hi Samira and welcome to KnittingHelp! It sounds like you've made great progress on a variety of projects. Good to have you here with us.

Dima
09-22-2012, 04:45 PM
New here as well, currently live in Florida.

salmonmac
09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, welcome to you, too, Dima in Florida. There are many knitters here from Florida, maybe some near you.

KnitBeg
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi there :yay:

First of :woohoo: I found the introduction thread :happydance: I'm not too used to fora, so this ain't my first post here :blush: I already asked for help ;) I guess that says a lot :roflhard:

I am happy to have found this community. I am forever juggling with my knitting and it would be great if there are people outthere who can help. I did pay some attention in class, but I think it is about 20 years agoo that I was told to knit and purl :mrgreen: I hope to get enough experience to help others in return, but that will take some time.

What to tell... I'm not much for the big projects - I don't really have the patience. I've made hats and purses and are currently working on book covers. Even things that small I knit partly and sew together :thumbsup:

I recently got into knitting with "relief" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relief). So not as much in different colours or shapes, but rather cables and stuff... I'm not too experienced at it :cool: yet.

Take care and maybe see you around somewhere,
KnitBeg (= Knitter & Beginner)

salmonmac
09-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Welcome to knitting and to KH too! Lots of great small projects out there to do and plenty of different techniques and variations to keep them interesting.

ReaGaladriel
10-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi everybody. :cheering:
I'm 24-year old girl from Croatia. My name is Rea. I'm new at this forum and I'm new at knitting. I finished my first scarf ever today and I fell in love with knitting. Now I want to learn more ;) :knitting:
So I decided to join this forum and learn new stuff.
And I apologize in advance for stupid beginner questions ;)

salmonmac
10-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Rea, Welcome to Knitting Help! There really are no stupid questions at all. Any questions you have are more than welcome.

sundevil
10-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Hello! I'm a 21 year old student at ASU, hence the screen name. :happydance: I just took up knitting yesterday as an inexpensive and constructive hobby to do around campus. I'm anxious to learn more and start making my own accessories, etc! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
10-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Welcome Rea and Sundevil!

We can give you hints on things to do on the cheap. Post a question about it in the General forum and you'll get all kinds of ideas. :thumbsup:

weefairmousie
10-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Hello everyone,
I've recently started knitting again after a very long hiatus away from it. Growing up on Cape Breton, knitting sweaters was a income generating hobby - got to love the tourists - and strange to say that as a child, I knitted sweaters long before I ever made a scarf.

I don't work from premade patterns very much but I have been trying to write them down so I can share them with the family.
I'm working on an oversized hooded poncho for my daughter's Christmas gift at the moment. (I'm so pleased that they've come back in style.) I've already unraveled it twice as the sample patches I made didn't translate well into the garment. I think that I'm trying to go too fancy, the cables and ladders don't lie properly giving the poncho a skewed look so I'm going for a simple seed stitch this time.

Be assured I shall be needing a lot of help as my memory for stitches has gotten a bit fuzzy and I'll remember a part of a stitching pattern but end of staring at the needles when the results don't match the vision.:teehee:

Pleased to be here and I'll post a pic when I get really going on it. Critiques and opinions are always welcomed.

AirdrieKnitter
10-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi Everyone,
I learned to knit many years ago and have recently returned to knitting. It's wonderful to find a site like this with so many experienced knitters willing to share their knowledge and skill! Looking forward to being part of this group :)

helplessonmv
10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
hi just thought i can use some help in knitting its been awhile for me and im afraid i have forgotten a few things[if i even knew them]

salmonmac
10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Welcome weefair, helpless and Airdrie to KnittingHelp. Great to have you here.

Ermely
10-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Good evening everyone !

I live in Belgium, the South part, the french talking one . English is not my mother tongue so I apologize in advance for my spelling.

A few words about me : I live in an old house near the Meuse, I've got 2 hens, 1 small rabbit, a red cat , 2 canaris, some fishes, 3 kids and a husband .
I'm a knit addict since my third pregnancy . I've been lying for 6 month ant knitting was my drug .

I knit for my children and a bit for me sometimes :roflhard:
My needs are on a fur scarf for Miss 2 :star: a cap for Angel-man .:angelgrin:

Very glad to be one of yours, I wish you a excellent night .

Ermely .

suzeeq
10-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Ermely, welcome! Your spelling is great, much better than I can do French.

jean4sd02
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Hello all, I have been knitting for 4 years, and have used the helpful videos on here and told other people about them, but this is the first time I singed on here.
Because, I wonder if anyone can a provide a link to a video of someon tinking? Just basic knit and purl stitches?
Thanks

salmonmac
10-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Jean and welcome! One video for tinking here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBAK3BtEEPE). if you have to tink purl sts, hold the yarn in front of and above the right needle to make it easy to insert the left needle.

Jan in CA
10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Welcome everyone! You're inthe right place for help and some good friends and fun! I hope you'll all get involved and post. :thumbsup:

RiverSong
10-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Amy, I just wanted to thank you for your site. My mother tried to teach me to knit and I just wasn't getting it. When I decided that I really wanted to learn, I Googled "knitting help". Your site was first on the list and thank goodness for that, because I understand it the way you explain it. Thank you so much for teach me what has become my favorite hobby.:muah:

RiverSong
10-19-2012, 04:01 AM
I learned to knit about 5 months ago, when I found this site, and I am obsessesed with it.
I live near Huntsville, Al.; I am a respiratory therapist; I have a husband, 3 kids, 3 cats, a dog, & a gerbil (I love animals); I now spend all of my free time knitting.
I look forward to spending some of that time here.

suzeeq
10-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi RiverSong and welcome. I should hope this site comes up first when you search for 'knitting help' as that is its name. Clever, no? lol

Anytime you need help, people are happy to help with your questions here, enjoy.

Mitchcan
10-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Glad to have found this site.

Kissy
10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Hello everyone, my mother taught me to knit when I was 4yrs old and I was hooked! The first thing I ever knitted was a skirt for my doll. :knitting:

My kids are all grown up and I recently started knitting again after a 10yr break. I stumbled upon this site while searching the web for patterns. I've had a quick look around, everyone seems very supportive and helpful. I'm happy to have found you all :cheering:

Jan in CA
10-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Welcome RiverSong, Mitch and Kissy! :thumbsup:

KnitBKS
10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi, everyone!

My name is Brian. I go by Brian, Bri, or Bri Bri. I am a 25-year-old male knitter (26 in January) and live in West Virginia. I am Deaf with a hearing aid in the right ear. I am a self-taught knitter (thank goodness for YouTube and books) and have been knitting for less than a year but I am starting afresh. I've never really completed a project, but I hope my first scarf will be the first project I've completed. My wife's name is Laura and we have three furbabies (Lehi, Charcoal, and Rose).

I plan to take the MHK (TKGA) correspondence course beginning in the next month or so, hopefully. I would like to eventually become a CYC Certified Knitting Instructor as well as a knitting judge (through taking the Certification for Knitting Judges through TKGA).

I am preparing to attend college (online) to get my B.S. in Accounting and then my MBA to be able to become a licensed CPA. I would like to work for the state and get into internal audit to prepare me for my main goal: Forensic Accounting. :)

If you would like to know anything else, feel free to ask.

Jan in CA
10-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Welcome Brian! Sounds like you're going to be one busy guy! I know about forensics and accounting, but never heard of forensic accounting! Sounds interesting!

KnitBKS
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Welcome Brian! Sounds like you're going to be one busy guy! I know about forensics and accounting, but never heard of forensic accounting! Sounds interesting!
Yeah, I didn't either. Forensic accounting is when there is a lawsuit and you are tasked to find what has been done with the money. Then you present your findings in court.

salmonmac
10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Well, welcome Brian. You provide your own unique perspective and we're glad you're here! (And glad you have time to knit.)

KnitBKS
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, welcome Brian. You provide your own unique perspective and we're glad you're here! (And glad you have time to knit.)

Thanks, salmonmac. :)

I will definitely keep y'all posted on what I learn. I don't think I have any Forensic courses in my B.S. but I know I will when I go into my Master's of Accountancy after my MBA and CPA. At least that is what my six year goal consists of in education.

Jeremy
10-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Brian. Good luck with all of your endeavors.

Sunlily
10-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi, my name is Lindsay. I'm a mother of 4 and I'm wanting to learn some knitting to make some baby blankets.

salmonmac
10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Welcome, Lindsay! There are lots of nice patterns out there for baby blankets and more. Good to have you here.

stephaniebrady
11-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi,
I was looking for a website just like this a couple of weeks ago. I am not a new knitter but I stick to the basics. I couldn't figure out a stitch pattern but my mother came to the rescue - I still haven't started that project after getting so frustrated. My current passion is knitting socks.
My 13 year old daughter has learned to knit as well. I finally got her working on a project that I think she may finish...a pair of gloves.

Stephanie.

ChrisMcCracken
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey there! I'm a new knitter for just over a month now. This website and ravelry have been essential in teaching myself to knit. My first project was a basket weave hat done with magic loop and my second a little cable knit headband with a flower. I'm working on another headband at the moment with plans to jump into a hat that I'm designing myself that includes intarsia in-the-round and different colored cables that spiral around and narrow for crown.

keasttheleast
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Cool website! :DD

Ladyofblades
11-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Hello. My name is LadyofBlades. I have wanted to knit for a while so last week I picked up a beginner's kit with book and tried it out. I have only just learned the basic knit stitch...sort of, lol. I am really enjoying it though and can't wait to practice. Tonight, I am going to try my first purl. :)

Nairobi
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I am Nairobi (screen name). I have just moved from Haiti to Mexico and I have started knitting just few weeks ago. I am a long time crocheter. Hope to learn and pick few tricks and tips that can get me to knit my sweaters and other beatiful accessories ( it´s pretty cold here). Thanks for letting me in.

salmonmac
11-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi and welcome Stephanie, Chris, Keast, Ladyofblades and Nairobi! What a great international group: NC, TN, Ireland and Mexico via Haiti. Good to have you here and glad you joined the forum.

KnitCrate
11-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Hello Knitters,

We are spreading the word about a new monthly subscription box for knitters! KnitCrate (dot) com.

KnitCrate is dedicated to inspiring and encouraging individuals through the art of knitting with our monthly subscription boxes. Regardless of whether you are a beginner or an advanced knitter, there are always fresh and fun ideas to be discovered.

Please check us out and we would love to hear any suggestions from the community!!

Andrea with the Knitcrate Team:heart:

Nikomikiri
11-10-2012, 06:12 AM
I started knitting in high school but all very basic stuff. Wanting to make some memorable gifts for my friends before I leave for the Navy so I'm knitting nerdy gifts for them. I am understandably overwhelmed by how difficult it is.

-Magen

Tessa52
11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi,
I'm new to knitting. Had my first lesson in February of 2012 and I'm hooked.

nedine
11-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for starting thiw wonderful site!

salmonmac
11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Welcome Andrea, Nikomikiri, Tessa and nedine! We're glad you found KnittingHelp and that you're enjoying knitting. Good to have you here.

funkyjedi
11-11-2012, 03:01 AM
hey everyone. My name is chris and I just started knitting. I have always wanted to try it, and finally got to stay home with my kids the other day when they were sick, and during the off day, you tubed some videos, grabbed some chopsticks out of the drawer and started messing around. Later that afternoon I took my two kiddos to Michaels and bought some needles and the yarn they liked. The lady there wasnt super helpful, but I figured out that you have to match the yarn to the needle, got the right sizes and voila, here I am.

I love to build things, golf clubs, fly rods, flies, ukuleles, etc. It seemed a natural fit to want to make my own beanies as well. My wife always jokes about the two month hobby, but its nice to be able to pick things back up and keep working on them when I get an itch to do so.

I havent done much, Ive spent about 6 hours on a scarf, and its about 2 inches long. is so unbelievably slow, Im not sure how much longer I can work on it....thats why I stopped by, to find out what kind of time it takes for these kind of things...by the look of it, I will have spent a good 40 hours on a scarf that looks like something jabba the hutt threw up, and thats a little frustrating...

anyway, Im headed next to the help section of the forum for some specific advice.

thanks for having me on... have a great week!

suzeeq
11-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi funkyjedi (star wars fan?), don't despair. I think one of the mistakes a new knitter can make is to set out making an item. Your working with chopsticks reminds me of how I learned to knit - sharpened a couple of my brother's tinkertoy sticks and used my mom's package string. I spent a long time playing with them learning the stitches before I got some yarn and needles. Speed will come with practice, so if you have some time to spend every day, you'll get there. You might need a more efficient way of holding the yarn and making the stitches. Take a look at some you tube videos for the style you use (yarn in left hand is continental, yan in right is english - usually) and see if you can find a way that improves your productivity. Keeping your hands close to the needles will help with that.

funkyjedi
11-12-2012, 03:31 AM
I've been pouring over youtube, I suppose I find myself naturally going for the english type of knitting so far... left brained thinker and all, so I will keep on keeping on. thanks!

nedine
11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Hey funkyjedi, not to worry. You will get faster! Not that I'm that experienced, but I started with dishcloths. Lots of free patterns on line & YouTube is my friend as well. I figured I could always use a dishcloth, & who cares what it looks like right?? Great for practice!

john0425
11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone!!!! My name is John, Im from Oak Ridge NJ. After hurricane Sandy hit we were without power for 6 days. During that time we thought of ways to occupy ourselves. Thats when my interest in crocheting was rekindled, which led to an interest in knitting. I’ve been watching youtube videos and searching the web for basic knitting info. I’ve been able to start a scarf with some success but eventually mess up because the needles come out of the stitches or I stitch improperly, this results in me starting over. Never the less, I actually find that the redundancy of constantly starting over is helpful. My question for this board would be, where in this forum would you suggest a newbie look to further research the basics of the craft? Or, other than the actual knitting, what should I learn that would help me better understand the craft. Any help would be greatly appreciated….

Thanks so much….. John

Jan in CA
11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I've been pouring over youtube, I suppose I find myself naturally going for the english type of knitting so far... left brained thinker and all, so I will keep on keeping on. thanks!

There is nothing wrong with knitting English method. I can knit both ways, but my go to method is English. Do what works for you and don't worry about it. If you want to learn continental you can learn that anytime.

And welcome to Knitting Help!!

Jan in CA
11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
My question for this board would be, where in this forum would you suggest a newbie look to further research the basics of the craft? Or, other than the actual knitting, what should I learn that would help me better understand the craft. Any help would be greatly appreciated….

Thanks so much….. John

Welcome John!!

We have a great database if videos here in Knitting Help. Plus just reading the forum and asking questions is an excellent way to learn. I joined and learned in October 2005 and owe most of what I know to this forum. :thumbsup:

john0425
11-20-2012, 08:13 AM
My question for this board would be, where in this forum would you suggest a newbie look to further research the basics of the craft? Or, other than the actual knitting, what should I learn that would help me better understand the craft. Any help would be greatly appreciated….

Thanks so much….. John

Welcome John!!

We have a great database if videos here in Knitting Help. Plus just reading the forum and asking questions is an excellent way to learn. I joined and learned in October 2005 and owe most of what I know to this forum. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jan!!!

NotSewCrafty
11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi!

My name is Jessica. I chose NotSewCrafty as my SN because I am...not so crafty. :)

I am trying knitting because I have ADD and I am perpetually plugged in because of my job, and honestly, because it is a habit. I am wanting something to do with my hands to keep me from constantly messing with my phone, checking Facebook and stuff. I also have always envied people who make their own scarves and hats and mittens and things and thought it would be fun.

I am a mom to a two year old and work in marketing by day, and sometimes night.

I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully getting some help. :)

salmonmac
11-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi Jessica and welcome to KnittingHelp! We're glad to have you join the forum. Hope you'll be knitting away soon on all those mittens, hats and scarves.

justme04
11-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone
I am new here. Kind of new to knitting! I taught myself to knit from this site years ago! six maybe? I have just come back to knitting again!(was ill and could not hold needles lol) I don't remember there being a forum? Maybe I just missed it. Hoping to get back to unfinished project and start a few new ones!

Jan in CA
11-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Welcome Jessica and justme04!

Ladyd215
11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Dee. I just started knitting about 2 weeks ago. I only have 2 1/2 items done, thats how new I am...lol Hoping to learn from all of you.... :knitting:

skookknitter
11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Hello, everyone!! Thank you all so much for your help yesterday w/ the speedy answers to my questions. As you probably all figured out, i'm not just new to the forum but to knitting as well. Looking forward to learning new things about this lost art!! Love to knit!!

nickrit2
12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Nick. I'm excited to be a part of a knitting community (not many people around me knit, and none are guys!). From what I've seen so far, this is going to be great to improve my knitting even more. I look forward to chatting with you all!

salmonmac
12-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Welcome Dee, Skookknitter and Nick! We're glad to have you join us. Two and a half projects or two hundred, it's good to have you here.

TreshaRuthe
12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd just like to say welcome to all of you new people, it's great to see so many new faces.

Tre'sha

GrannyGES
12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
I have been knitting for a while and really have enjoyed having your website as a wonderful source of information and how tos.

I am currently working on some doll clothes for my granddaughter's doll and have run into some "user issues" reading the pattern. I hope you all can help me out.

Texas Grandma

Aparry
12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
hello everyone, so happy to have found this site. I cant even recall what gave me the idea to start knitting 1 week ago. But like many others here I soon found myself with needles and yarn in my hands trying to figure out what went so terribly wrong 10 stitches ago. By this time Im ready to rip my hair out with frustration but know it's already too late... I'm hooked! So I am grateful for this site and any helpful information anyone may provide in order to keep me sane and to continue this hobby I really seem to enjoy. Its such a delicate craft of patience and intricacy... time-less yet requires much time. I love it!!!:yay:

salmonmac
12-03-2012, 07:04 PM
GranyGES and Aparry, welcome to KH! We're glad to have you here and we're ready to try an answer your questions. It's always fun to get everyone's take on the questions and hopefully, help you complete your project.

mojo11
12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Been lurking here for a few months since a friend at work pointed me to this site and finally decided to register. Started learning to knit last March from my girlfriend who does this for a living (and is utterly amazing -- and knits really well too). We'd been together almost 2 years and I'd always been intrigued by what she did, but it took a "community project" (ahem) to actually get me to pick up the needles myself. Fortunately in addition to being a world-class knitter and crocheter, she's also incredibly patient. Me, I'm just stubborn, which in this case was a passable substitute. My first project was positively humbling. I never had the idea that it would be easy, but I did NOT expect it to be as hard as it was. Fortunately it didn't stay that way, or I might have abandoned the whole venture.

Given my late entry into the knitting realm (at the age of 52) I probably won't ever develop the kind of proficiency I'd like, but I'm okay with that. I can still surprise people with knitted chickens and so forth. ;-)

salmonmac
12-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi mojo and welcome. It does take patience and persistence but if it results in a knitted chicken, that's one project I can't wait to see. Glad to have you here.

egl
12-14-2012, 06:59 AM
My name is Liz, and as a beginner in the knitting world, I am semi proud to say I just finished a sweater for my roommate, but it is in pieces and I am not understanding the neck instructions.
Has any one heard of the book "Teach yourself to Knit" by Evie Rosen? my sister gave it to me years ago with some yarn to learn to knit, and to make the scarf in the book, once got the hang of it, I was ok. Now I am hooked on knitting. I wanted to do the sweater for my roommate and found a nice purple ( her favorite color) and had dropped so many stitches doing the sleeves I ended up probably redoing both 1000x's, but now to assemble (the book case).
Any help is welcome, thanks,

mojo11
12-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi mojo and welcome. It does take patience and persistence but if it results in a knitted chicken, that's one project I can't wait to see. Glad to have you here.

I've actually done ... let's see... three chickens now. Two were based on a popular pattern (with some alterations of my own) and the third was a make-it-up-as-you-go. I still need to get better photos of that one, but I'll put up shots of the first two at some point soon.

salmonmac
12-14-2012, 10:00 AM
My name is Liz, and as a beginner in the knitting world, I am semi proud to say I just finished a sweater for my roommate, but it is in pieces and I am not understanding the neck instructions.
Has any one heard of the book "Teach yourself to Knit" by Evie Rosen? my sister gave it to me years ago with some yarn to learn to knit, and to make the scarf in the book, once got the hang of it, I was ok. Now I am hooked on knitting. I wanted to do the sweater for my roommate and found a nice purple ( her favorite color) and had dropped so many stitches doing the sleeves I ended up probably redoing both 1000x's, but now to assemble (the book case).
Any help is welcome, thanks,
Hi egl and welcome! Why don't you post a few lines of the neck instructions (not the whole pattern) and let us know what in particular you're not understanding. Probably starting a new thread in the "How to" forum will get more answers to your questions.

Akmjd
12-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi, I'm a new knitter from Alaska. I'm working on a stockinette watch cap. My stockinette stitches are slanting to the right. What can I do to correct this and what causes this. Thank you for your help .

GrumpyGramma
12-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi, I'm a new knitter from Alaska. I'm working on a stockinette watch cap. My stockinette stitches are slanting to the right. What can I do to correct this and what causes this. Thank you for your help .

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of knitting. Try checking the free videos at the top of the page and see how what you're doing compares with the way Amy does it. That might help you see what's going on. I'm thinking you might be wrapping the yarn "backwards"...in quotes because if you do it that way on purpose, then it's not backwards.

mojo11
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of knitting. Try checking the free videos at the top of the page and see how what you're doing compares with the way Amy does it. That might help you see what's going on. I'm thinking you might be wrapping the yarn "backwards"...in quotes because if you do it that way on purpose, then it's not backwards.

Are you left-handed maybe? I've heard lefties complain that things don't work the same way for them because everything is backwards. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for overcoming that... but maybe somebody else here does.

shadowfox118
12-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey everyone, I've been gone for a while... a lot of drama and things with school and the boyfriend, we're still together! Yay!!!! I've been working on some projects, a few for christmas presents I've already given away but... I'm finally working on my cloak!!!! so happy, hope you all are doing great! I'm finally back so I'm happy

Akmjd
12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi, I'm a new knitter from Alaska. I'm working on a stockinette watch cap. My stockinette stitches are slanting to the right. What can I do to correct this and what causes this. Thank you for your help . thank you for your reply. The video definitely showed me I was knitting backwards. Will that affect the fit or just the look?

suzeeq
12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
If you wrap the yarn backwards it twists the stitches so affects the look, but it can also make the gauge tighter which may affect the fit. Check your gauge compared to the pattern and see if it does matter.

anthia
12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Hello all,

I am a newbie in Knitting, started last year with a break for some months. I guess winter always gets my mood for creation back...

I had no idea how to knit so I started learning from the internet thanks to all the nice tutorials I found including knittinghelp.com. I only knitted scarfs and some hats upto now (i guess that's how everyone starts).

Just wanted to say thanks for all of you great knitters with all the instructions and help you give!! :notworthy:

GrumpyGramma
12-14-2012, 11:54 PM
thank you for your reply. The video definitely showed me I was knitting backwards. Will that affect the fit or just the look?

Are you wrapping knit and purl stitches backwards? Combination knitting uses purls wrapped backwards. You have to untwist it, usually by knitting into the back leg on the next row. Some people in some situations will wrap the knit or purl stitches backwards to make them tighter, then untwist them on the next row. Twisted stitches do effect the look and feel of your fabric as well as gauge. It's good to be able to comfortably work stitches both ways.

GrumpyGramma
12-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Hello all,

I am a newbie in Knitting, started last year with a break for some months. I guess winter always gets my mood for creation back...

I had no idea how to knit so I started learning from the internet thanks to all the nice tutorials I found including knittinghelp.com. I only knitted scarfs and some hats upto now (i guess that's how everyone starts).

Just wanted to say thanks for all of you great knitters with all the instructions and help you give!! :notworthy:

Hi and welcome. The more the merrier! It sounds like you're off to a great start.

zanobia
01-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Good morning every body,

i am a new member with u, i am from Egypt, love knitting so much but still a beginner.
i love this forum and happy to be a member with.

salmonmac
01-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi momo and zanobia and welcome to Knitting Help! We're glad to have you join the conversation.

Jan in CA
01-10-2013, 01:54 AM
thank you for your reply. The video definitely showed me I was knitting backwards. Will that affect the fit or just the look?

You mean you were wrapping the stitch backwards not knitting backwards, right? They are two different things.

RosieoinIdaho
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi all,
I'm so glad I found this site today! I have been wanting to learn to knit for years but have obviously put it off long enough! I have been crocheting for close to 30 years now and really enjoy it but would like to broaden my horizons a bit and I think this site is just the ticket.

I just found out that my daughter is going to be having twins and I want to get started on some afghans right away, I hope to have them done before the end of April because gardening & yard work will be in full force (hopefully if the snow melts by then). Am I being unrealistic? Any advice or project suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

GrumpyGramma
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi, Rosie. Welcome. Unrealistic? Who knows. It all depends on how fast you get the hang of knitting (some crocheters, like me, have a hard time with learning to knit, others don't), what pattern you use, how much time you have to knit, etc.

I'd suggest getting some U.S. size 9 or 10 needles, some inexpensive (I'm thinking RHSS), light colored, wosrted weight yarn and watch the videos here if you don't have an IRL teacher and go for it.

Remember that people here take the "help" part of knitting help very seriously and will help you out whenever, however possible, and often more quickly than you'd expect.

Congratulations on the new grandbaby! :balloons:

suzeeq
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi Rosie, I've lived half my life in SW Idaho and up north in the opposite end of the state. So I know that you'll get plenty of time to knit before you can even think about gardening! Baby blankets aren't very large, so won't take long to make, even for a newbie. And GG is right, larger needles will make them go faster too. Welcome!

RosieoinIdaho
01-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the well GG! I inherited some knitting needles from an aunt of mine so I think I'm set for the most part. I saw what appeared to be an easy blanket calling for a round needle. I only have one size of that. Maybe I'll just look for a pattern that uses standard needles. I'm going to just practice with the videos as I don't have an IRL teacher. Here goes :-)

GrumpyGramma
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Rosie, by "round needle" do you mean a circular needle, one with a cable between the points? What pattern do you have in mind. You might want to start a new thread and post a link if it's online.

RosieoinIdaho
01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I guess I really am a newbie :aww: I did mean circular needles. I'm going to go through some more patterns to find a cuter blanket pattern. I'll start a new thread when found. I think I will study the terminology a little more as well, hahaha

GrumpyGramma
01-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Terminology comes with exposure to the dark side. LOL Circular needles (you'll see them referred to as circs) can be used just the same as straight needles so the pattern you have in mind might not really need them. Circs will hold more stitches, more comfortably than straight needles. Whatever you don't know, feel free to ask. I read other peoples questions and the answers they get so that I can learn from them. One abbreviation you'll encounter is DPN = double pointed needles. Learning the terms and abbreviations can be a PITA = pain in the a**. :p

You'll love this: Square circular knitting needles. (http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-needles-knitters-pride-cubics/knitters-pride-knitters-pride-cubics-fixed-circular-needles/)

mojo11
01-11-2013, 10:30 AM
You'll love this: Square circular knitting needles. (http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-needles-knitters-pride-cubics/knitters-pride-knitters-pride-cubics-fixed-circular-needles/)

The first time I saw a reference to "square circular needles" I thought I must've slipped into an alternate dimension or something. What I found attractive about them was the claim of a "no-memory cable". THAT I wanna see. I'm currently working on a scarf that's knit the long way on a pair of old borrowed 10.5s that's like knitting with two sticks glued to a Slinky.

GrumpyGramma
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
The first time I saw a reference to "square circular needles" I thought I must've slipped into an alternate dimension or something. What I found attractive about them was the claim of a "no-memory cable". THAT I wanna see. I'm currently working on a scarf that's knit the long way on a pair of old borrowed 10.5s that's like knitting with two sticks glued to a Slinky.

I'm not sure it's totally accurate to say they have NO memory but the cables for the Knit Picks and Knitters Pride needles are very flexible and don't need to be bathed in scalding water before use. I like them. I have one set of the Cubics and personally prefer the round needles. Square or round, like anything else about needles, is totally a personal preference.

mojo11
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure it's totally accurate to say they have NO memory but the cables for the Knit Picks and Knitters Pride needles are very flexible and don't need to be bathed in scalding water before use. I like them. I have one set of the Cubics and personally prefer the round needles. Square or round, like anything else about needles, is totally a personal preference.

Wendy has the Knitters Pride Dreamz interchangeable sets and LOVES them. I have a couple of them in US 10.5 that I got for my current project (because they were available in the size/length combo I needed and cost less than the Addi Turbos). I'm partial to Hiya Hiya stainless circs myself, but they're not available anywhere locally, so I have to wait for them. And the whole waiting thing is something I'm not real good at.

I have no complaints about the Dreamz -- so far. Figured I'd try out a couple and see how they worked out. I did the same with the Hiya Hiyas, thinking that if I liked them I might go all in and get the interchangeable set. I'd wind up spending about the same on either one, so I might as well test drive both of 'em.

rjknittrdude747
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Hey Everyone: So glad I found this knitting forum. I've been thinking for quite awhile about joining a knitting forum, but was reluctant as I joined another non-knitting forum back in March to announce a new ebook I had just written, that I was giving away FREE.

To my amazement, even though this ebook was free, I took major bashing from many of the veterans on this forum. Kinda scared me away from forums for awhile. I considered them 'forum bullies'.

As a new author, I was there seeking help, tips, advice on making my 'first' ebook even better. That didn't happen. I'm rewriting and will re-release it this spring.

However, I'm sure I will find a 'knitting' forum MUCH friendlier as we knitters are pretty down to earth, cool, fun, creative people.

Anyway, my name is RJ Smith, from Picton, Ontario. I'm a family man with 4 boys, all who I taught to knit in years past, but only one who occasionally picks up the needles today, haha.

I'm 57 and started learning to knit when I was 8. I've knit on and off over the years and am TOTALLY ADDICTED. Have taught a number of friends over the years to knit. I LOVE teaching. I'm also a music teacher.

I developed a technique in the early 90's which I call FreeStyle Knitting, after being inspired by the Famous 'Kaffe Fassett' on his series at the time called "Glorious Color". I not only use dozens of colors in every project, but I do not use patterns. I also don't use balls or skeins, but only lengths, for the most part, except for the projects I'm doing now. I will explain this on another post.

Speaking of ebooks, I've been working on a short ebook called FreeStyle Knitting in which I will share how this technique started and what it means, to me.

Once completed, hopefully by March, I will be giving away a few hundred copies and then selling it quite cheap.

I don't have an Opt In box set up yet on my new site, which I can't post until my next post. I will have one set up very soon, so if any NEW knitters happen to see this post, just respond or look for other posts that will have the link and then you can Opt In for your FREE copy when it's done.

The main purpose of this new site will be to help NEW knitters anyway I can; to review and promote any courses or books or videos I like, etc.. And once I learn how to make video's of my own, I will have tutorials on there.

Anyway, very happy I found this forum. I look forward to meeting many of you; adding you to my facebook friends list and helping any new knitters on here.

Wishing Everyone a Happy Day of Knitting

RJ :woot:

GrumpyGramma
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Hi and welcome, RJ. After I learned to make Ks and Ps, this is where I learned what to do with them to make something. I think you'll find people here are friendly and helpful.

rjknittrdude747
01-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Heya Eye595: I'm brand new here also, just joined yesterday, but haha, have been a serious Hobby knitter for over 40 years. I primarily knit scarves, toques, afghans, throws, that kinda thing, as I use TONS of colors and cannot follow patterns.

I found years ago when I first started I was only using at the most maybe 3 or 4 colors. So every once in awhile I would get bored and stop knitting for awhile. Then in the early 90's I got introduced to Color Knitting and got majorly readdicted again.

One little tip for you and how I got started, I was taught to only cast on about a dozen stitches and just start knitting, not purling, just knitting, row after row after row to work on my gauging, keeping the tension even. Once I got comfy with knitting, then I repeated the same thing with purling, just doing lots of rows.

The knitting classes you are going to start may teach different and that's totally cool. Whatever works for you eye595.

The most important thing, HAVE FUN! If I can be of ANY help in the future, I'm happy to help. Haa, I taught my 4 boys to knit, but now ONLY dad knits.

Also, I'm sure you'll find LOTS of friendly help here too. Oh, I'm just building a new knitting site for beginners, so feel free to visit and leave any comments or questions...www.learntoknittoday.com

Happy Knitting...RJ

rjknittrdude747
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Hey Grumpy Gramma: My apologies for the delay in getting back here. I couldn't figure out how. I'm pretty 'green' when it comes to forums.

Anyway, Thank You for the warm welcome. I hardly do purling anymore, unless I do a project on my bamboo needles, but for the most part I'm quite addicted to circs for the moment. Then again I'm just playing around with scarfs and toques. Even my huge afghan I did a few years ago, I used the longest circs I could find; had 2 of them and used em like straight needles.

I do love my bamboo needles though. Must think of a project soon and put them back to work. They've been sitting quietly in my bag over a year.

Happy Knitting.....RJ

butlersabroad
01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Hello All
Just joined today. I found this site a while ago when looking for help on kitchener stitch but have only just realised that there is also a forum here too!

My name is Brenda and I live in SE Michigan but I'm originally from England, I've lived here over 18 years now. I work full time and have a large range of hobbies that are mostly dependent on the weather! Summer hobbies are camping, kayaking, mountain biking and gardening, Winter hobbies are skiing and baking. Year round hobbies are reading, genealogy, knitting and card making. Although in Michigan in the middle of summer it's often too hot to knit.

On the knitting front I still consider myself a beginner. I was taught to knit as a child but didn't touch it for about 35 years so forgot everything and had to relearn completely a couple of years ago. I started with dish cloths as they were simple, didn't take much time, were useful and I learnt a few simple patterns. I've tried a scarf but it bored me rigid and it never got finished! I moved on to socks and have been having a lot of fun, I've knitted four pairs in 2012 and have plans for lots more.

I'm currently knitting a watch hat for my husband in a 50% Alpaca 50% Icelandic sheep mix and I'm eying up my next sock too, a patterned one this time! I'm also hoping to try a simple cable and a lace pattern too this year, but not necessarily as socks, perhaps wrist warmers or something.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Brenda

GrumpyGramma
01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi and welcome to KH, Brenda. You'll find lots of encouragement here for your knitting habit, and you have the sock bug. It's not fatal but is hard to cure! :teehee:

rjknittrdude747
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Hey Brenda, hello and welcome. I also am new on this forum and kinda new back at knitting. Like yourself I learned as a kid; started at 8. Just had a break away from knitting for about a a year and missed it so started back maybe a month ago.

I've never tried socks, although I've bought a couple books on sock patterns in years past but never tried them. Knit some mittens once and really enjoyed that project. Used 35 colors. I was a Clown, so wanted colorful mittens. Also did a 12' scarf at the time, with 85 colors.

Now latest gig is knitting scarves on a short circ. I cast on 50 sts; I'm using 50 colors (sol & vari) and I'm mixing up my patterns. Current project is 7 rows per color.

You mentioned getting bored in years past. That happened to me too when I was only using 1 - 4 colors. That all changed in the 90's. LONG story haha. Anyway Brenda nice to meet you here. Look forward to corresponding and talking 'knit chat'. Would love to add you on FB.

Happy Knitting....RJ

butlersabroad
01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome ladies. I love the sock bug and hope it never gets cured! I think I've figured out I like small projects that can be completed in a reasonable time and socks fit the bill, plus once one is made you just HAVE to make the second one otherwise you've wasted your time! So far I've only been using yarn from JoAnns or Michaels, mostly bought on sale in case I couldn't get in to it or made tons of mistakes. But I treated myself to a large ball of Regia, the same of Kertzer and a few little balls of Crystal Palace Panda Silk mix as a little Christmas present to me.

RJ you sound like a freestyle knitter? I do have a FB account but I'm never on there as it sucks all my time up, but thanks for the invite!

Brenda

GrumpyGramma
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
plus once one is made you just HAVE to make the second

I knit socks 2@time to avoid ye olde Second Sock Syndrome. You might like it too.

butlersabroad
01-16-2013, 08:20 PM
I knit socks 2@time to avoid ye olde Second Sock Syndrome. You might like it too.

I've heard of that but it made my eyes bulge and I went running for the hills screaming! :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
I've heard of that but it made my eyes bulge and I went running for the hills screaming! :mrgreen:

:roflhard: You can do what I do which is knit two at a time on DIFFERENT needles. I do magic loop so I just need two of the same.

rjknittrdude747
01-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Haha, I hear ya about FB Brenda. The only time I'm actually on is to accept a friend invite for the most part. But, I've been thinking lately of just trying to build my friend list. Was gonna visit the Men's Knitting Forum and see if I could get some guys on my list. There are surprising number of guys who knit.

Socks is something I have never tried. Mittens were a challenge and after I finished the first pr I wasn't sure if I wanted to tackle another. Yes Brenda I'm definitely a freestyle knitter. I LOVE color and I love NO patterns. Just start with a basic idea, c.o. and knit away. I think socks would certainly be a challenge for me for sure.

Kattarina
01-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Catarina, A SAHM mom who loves needles, yarns and fabrics.

Some of my hobbys are photography (I never leave home without a camera. You can see some of my photos in my blog), knitting, sewing and singing. I also love to read and to travel.

I'm portuguese but at the moment I live in Luxembourg

:knitting:

salmonmac
01-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi Catarina and welcome to Knitting Help! We're happy to have you here.

Libilou
01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
My name is Libilou. I'm Libilou here. I'm Libilou on Ravelry. I'm Libilou everywhere.

I'm 40-something single in the sandwich generation. Taking care of my kids and my parents (and my sister and her husband and kids, since they are out of work and out of a home).

I graduated last summer with a Bachelor's in Accounting, summa cum laude. I work in payroll for a living and love it.

I knit, crochet and spin. My kids tell me I own too much yarn, but I haven't figured out what those words mean.

I've been knitting for 12 years, crocheting for slightly less and spinning for only 4 years. I've started to actually knit from yarn I've made.

salmonmac
01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi and welcome to you, Libilou. You are certainly a busy person but it sounds like your yarn priorities are just right. Glad to have you here.

GrumpyGramma
01-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi, Libilou. Only the uniknitiated would say "too much yarn." Welcome to KH.

jpbellavance
01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Hello,
My name is Jesse Bellavance. I do not knit but I wear sweaters/hats that my mother has knitted for me.

My mother is also a professional potter. I was hoping to have her link mentioned on this site as she sells some really beautiful yarn bowls and other functional pottery. I understand that you need to have at least one post before you can submit a link.

This will be my first post. I am hoping my mom will join some of these forums but her computer skills are almost nothing in comparison to her ability to make sweaters and pottery.

Thanks please view the link in the resources/links section for businesses related to pottery.

Kindly,
Jesse Bellavance

salmonmac
01-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi Jesse and welcome. Your mother's yarn bowls are lovely and such a useful idea. Thanks very much!

grammywms
01-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi, everyone...I'm Vicki from Indianapolis, IN. Started knitting when I was 12 (a neighbor taught me and my two sisters). Then in my 30's when I was busy with three school aged children all in sports, working full time and going to Nursing School, knitting was put on the back burner. In fact, it pretty much stayed on the back burner until this past year (I'm 66 and retired now). I knitted a prayer shawl for one of the women in our parish, who has stage four ovarian cancer that has spread to her liver. She will be on chemo the rest of her life. I guess the word got out that I was knitting and several of the women in our parish asked me to teach them...then our parish nurse asked if I'd like to start a Prayer Shawl Ministry. It is amazing how it all just evolved. Now we have 13 members. Most of us are retired and on fixed incomes, and others have been homeless and are finally in housing, but barely have enough money to get by. I go to thrift stores weekly and have lucked out once in awhile with a bag of assorted yarn for maybe $3-$4. But it is not always available. We have been fortunate to have some donations too, which I have distributed to our 13 members, but will need more as time goes on. It is such an important ministry. It is amazing how touched this woman was when we gave her our first shawl (our inaugural shawl)...in fact, the following week at church she seemed transformed. She went from wearing a scarf and being scared of dying to coming in bald (and proud of it) and resuming her duties on the liturgy committee...she has a glow about her now.

I found your site (which is wonderful and so helpful) to refresh my memory on some of the skills that were rusty...so I can teach others in our ministry to knit. I am grateful you are here. I am sure I'll continue to learn...I have a lot of catching up to do. No more back burner for my knitting.

salmonmac
01-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Hi Vicki and welcome! You have certainly plunged back into knitting in a big way. It wonderful to enjoy it, teach others and do good work. Maybe some of the children at church would like to learn too?

grammywms
01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Salmonmac; never thought about the children in this regard. Maybe after my "students" are more proficient, we could tackle that together...great idea!

cindycolucci
01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and so far it's packed with great info! Found it while typing in search for help with reverse shaping! I did a lot of knitting years back but late last yr picked it back up & can't put it down :woot: But while I have everyone just curious as to how many of you "throwers" out there have tried continental style. I've been trying it and while at times it seems quicker (although I knit at a good pace already) I find the particular yarn I'm using doesn't keep good tension (may be my issue) & is hard to "pick" the stitches with. Anyone else have this problem? I would really love to be able to do both! As for my current english style, I'm not one who makes so many moves just to throw so this is why I'm wondering if it's worth frustrating myself over :wink:

cindycolucci
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Yes circular needles are all I use! You can use them for every project. If a project doesn't call for them, just knit back & forth as you normally would. If you do need to knit in the rnd you knit as you normally would but making sure that the cast on/first row is all going the same way, once twisted you can untwist. I lay them out straight & mk sure all stitches are facing the same way. use markers at begin. of rows. The greatest thing is that stitches stay on circs much better in your bag etc! I love circular needles and don't use anything else. Can also use these instead of dp just by doing whats called magic loop! Happy knitting

suzeeq
01-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi there, glad to have you join us.

If there's nothing wrong with your knitting style, you don't need to change it. Knowing both can come in handy if you do a lot of fair isle colorwork, but otherwise, stick with what gives you an even tension.

I'm another english knitter who doesn't make wild exaggerated movements and I don't see a reason to change. Though I can knit continental combined a little bit, I plan to use it only for teaching people who have trouble with english style. Like my sister in law who's been crocheting for years and didn't get on with knitting. I suspect she was taught english and she just had a hard time with it.

GrumpyGramma
01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi. Welcome. I knit Continental and try English every now and then, I really want to be able to learn it for using two colors, but it's very frustrating for me. If you want/need to learn Continental that's one thing, if not, why bother? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jan in CA
01-25-2013, 06:07 PM
My go to method is English, but I use both continental and English for fair isle. I agree with Sue. There is no one best way nor is one way necessarily faster. Do what works for you. :yay:

Welcome to KH!

Michmick
01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Hi
I decided to start knitting a week ago after someone talked about it at work! I'm very new and really have no idea what I'm doing which I think is half the fun!
My first project is.....wait for it......a scarf!
I'm about half way through it now, it's just plain garter stitch (think that's the right terminology!). It's not supposed to have tassels but have looked up how to make them and am planning on doing so.
I got a book which runs through lots of projects building up skills as you go so will just work my way through that for now.
That's all for now!!
Michelle x

cindycolucci
01-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the new knitters! If you've been bitten by the bug I think its safe to say.....you're gonna get hooked!!! LOL I was one who put it down for about 12 yrs & one day heard a gal talking about it and I asked myself why I ever stopped! Picked it up just like riding a bike! I love forums like this for help & must say youtube was a help. If you can find a yarn shop near you it's great! Most will give you tons of help when you purchase from them and they usually love to have you hang out and knit! Great way to network with others! So enjoy knitting, also very relaxing!!!!:woot:

momlovestoknit
01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the new knitters! If you've been bitten by the bug I think its safe to say.....you're gonna get hooked!!! LOL I was one who put it down for about 12 yrs & one day heard a gal talking about it and I asked myself why I ever stopped! Picked it up just like riding a bike! I love forums like this for help & must say youtube was a help. If you can find a yarn shop near you it's great! Most will give you tons of help when you purchase from them and they usually love to have you hang out and knit! Great way to network with others! So enjoy knitting, also very relaxing!!!!:woot:

Cindy, do you also sell Arbonne? If so I think I know you. I dont see to many cindy colucci's.

cindycolucci
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
LOL Linda? it's so funny, when I saw this msg in my email I figured it had to be you! Yep it's me!! Small world even in the cyber one. I use to do so much knitting, some crochet bk when my kids were much younger..use to make stuff for them then I somehow dropped it and around Nov decided to pick it up again. Started again w/crochet & made an afghan to start then moved back to knitting and made some gift stuff and couple things for myself. I usually will have 2 or 3 things going, but like to keep it to 2 mainly! Thank the Lord for my business which allows me to have time to knit when I want!!!

Kirbym
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Don't know what got me back to knitting but I just bought a pattern and wool after not knitting for 11 years delighted to find this site, I think I will be making a lot of use of it

GrumpyGramma
01-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi. Welcome. Whatcha knittin'?

theashandrose
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
I am so excited to be here and learning how to knit. My grandmother crocheted when I was a girl but she died before I ever asked her to teach me. My name's Ashlyn and I'm here in Rocky Top, TN. Specially Oak Ridge but so near the mountains.

GrumpyGramma
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi and welcome. You should edit your post and remove your email.

tlazer
02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
My name is Terri and I'm from Northern New Jersey.
I'm not a great knitter by far but I'd like to become one!
I have been on many many knitting sites, but when I heard about this one I logged on made a post then unsubscribed from all the others I joined. This BY FAR is the BEST site ever!!! :knitting: :woohoo:

GrumpyGramma
02-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi, tlazer. Welcome. This is the only knitting site I've ever joined. I've looked at others but when I decided to ask for help it was here (who'da thunk, ask for knitting help at knittinghelp.com :roflh:) and I've not ventured elsewhere. I've gone from my first project to thinking that if I want to I can knit just about anything.

Jodena1017
02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
:waving: Hi everyone!!! I'm considering starting knitting or crocheting, but completely unaware of where to start and what the difference is. As of now I am a housewife waiting to go back to work. I am 28 and have a 6 year old son in Pa.

Thanks in advance for all the help!! Talk to everyone soon

salmonmac
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi Jodena and welcome! There are great videos for getting started knitting under the Free Videos tab at the top of tha page. We'll also be glad to advise and answer questions. Happy you've joined us.

GrumpyGramma
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi, Jodena, I think you should learn to knit, but then I'm a convert from crocheting which makes me totally unbiased. :wink: For knitting videos, what salmonmac said.

banjowells
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi, Jodena, I think you should learn to knit, but then I'm a convert from crocheting which makes me totally unbiased. :wink: For knitting videos, what salmonmac said.
New to this site, but have been knitting and crocheting for over 50 years.
most recent projects are mittens, hat, mobius scarf and a hoodie sweater I designed and made out of a nubbly silk yarn found at a thrift shop. I usually design my own patterns, using other patterns as a guide.

Jodie, by all means learn to knit, it is a relaxing hobby, and not that difficult to master. It is never boring, as there are so many patterns and techniques to explore. With the internet, you have access to all.
Lorna

salmonmac
02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Hi Lorna, Great to have you here. Welcome to Knitting Help.

joannepr
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I am a crocheter and will be begin knitting tomorrow.
I have signed up for a knitting class for crocheters and am very excited about starting.

I am retired and live in South East coast of Florida

GrumpyGramma
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi, welcome to Knitting Help and to knitting. I think you'll enjoy it. I crocheted first too. Have fun!

Debilos
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I am really happy to have found that site!

I'm pretty new at knitting, already realised a scarf, fingerless gloves, a "monster" and now I'm working on a purse. A new passion is born...I'm in love with knitting :inlove:

I live in Montreal, Canada.

I'm sure I will have a good time here!

Cheers! :waving:

GrumpyGramma
02-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi, Debilos, welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start. What's your monster?

joannepr
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Hi
Ca va bien?

I live in Hallandale Beach Florida. We have many visiting Quebecois snow birds down here.

I crochet and at present I am learning to knit continental style?
Do u subscribe to any knitting/crochet magazines?

what pattern did u use for the fingerless gloves.

i have made many crochet bags and market tote bages/

salmonmac
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Bienvenue! We're glad to have you here at Knitting Help! There are all kinds of patterns for fingerless gloves on Ravelry (free to join) and this is a particularly nice one (http://www.subwayknitter.com/patterns/urban_necessity.pdf) which Jan once recommended. I haven't tried them yet but they're on my list.

Debilos
02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice to meet you, GrumpyGramma ( i love your nickname)

Actually, it's more like a kind of Alien instead of a monster ;-)
I try to post a pic, but it doesn't work :-(

Debilos
02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Hello Joanne,

The world is so small. My mother just leave for a month of vacation to...Hallandale!!

I found a pretty cute pattern for my fingerless gloves on knitandbake.com. This site had several beautiful fingerless gloves patterns

I have no subscription yet, but i would like too. I heard good things about Interweave Knits.

I do not crochet for now. Maybe one day! I love knitted purses too

Thank you for your welcoming words!

À bientôt!

Debilos
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks salmonmac!

There are, indeed, a lot of beautiful patterns on Ravelry. I would like to knit a lot of them ( but not enough hours in a day to do so ;-)

Thanks for the welcome!

socklady
03-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Hi I amnew here but not new to knitting have been knitting for 35 years now. Hoping to have fun on this site and meet newpeople.:

Jan in CA
03-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Welcome, Socklady!!

claireweber
03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi Everyone – I am new to this site, I joined about a month ago, and felt like it was time for me to introduce myself. I took a knitting class about seven years ago and made a seed stitch scarf in a Noro wool, which my husband wears to this day. I have knitted mostly hats and scarves.
Knitting for me had been on a hiatus for quite a while, I had learned how to cast-on using the long tail technique, and had even forgotten how to do that, so I suppose it had been a while since I had picked up my needles.
This site is wonderful – I feel like it has the soul of a teacher. People here are so helpful and funny too. I have certainly had a few chuckles reading some of the forum posts.
I am a recent transplant to this area – my husband’s job moved us to Winston Salem, North Carolina from Santa Fe, New Mexico about a year and a half ago. We still have our home in Santa Fe and I make trips back there; the next one is coming up soon. I have a LYS there that I adore, two sisters own it and their shop is decorated with items that they have knitted; it is a joy to visit and a highlight of my trips out.
I am currently working on swatches of stitch patterns. In time I will begin a shawl; in a previous post salmonmac had suggested I try connecting my swatches to test out the transitions between them. When I did this I discovered that the stitches weren’t going to work together. I have come up with a combination of three patterns that I really like together, but not for this shawl, so I continue swatching and blocking.
I will have limited access to the internet in Santa Fe, so I look forward to visiting this site when I return. Hopefully I will have pictures to post by then. I really appreciate what you have put together here.

salmonmac
03-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Welcome Claireweber! We're glad to have you here and we're looking forward to seeing you're wonderful stitch combinations worked into that shawl. Enjoy knitting and swatching.

seaves582
03-04-2013, 09:21 PM
I am brand new to knitting and the videos on this site were amazing!! I love KnittingHelp.com. After many many bad swatches I started a scarf! I am in love with knitting and can't wait to see what my future in knitting brings.
Steph:woot: :woot:

salmonmac
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Hi Steph and welcome to the joys of knitting and to Knitting Help! Enjoy knitting your scarf and post a picture of it if you'd like. We love to see projects, in progress and finished.

GrumpyGramma
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Hi, Steph. Whatever questions or problems you might have, be sure to post and get help!

cyicrochet
04-03-2013, 01:41 AM
I self-taught myself to knit and crochet
I have been crocheting for 13 years solid,but have only just started knitting last few months of last year.
I have knitted 4 scarfs using cebelia crochet cotton threads size 30-3 cord and a size 0 knitting needles. I also have knitted a few dish and face cloths. I also have added knitted I cords to my crochet work and made necklaces from them.

salmonmac
04-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Welocme to Knitting Help! Cyicrochet, I'm in awe: 4 scarfs on size 0 needles. Wow.
We're glad you''re here. If you'd like to post photos of any of your projects in Whatcha' Knitting, we'd all love to see them.

jettagirl87
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Just wanted to say hi. I'm 26, I've been knitting for close to a year and a half now, and I think I'm about at an intermediate level at this point. Self taught mostly, though I did take a felting class and a fair-isle yoke sweater class. I'm in the Lehigh Valley in PA.

salmonmac
04-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, welcome to Knitting Help, jetta. We're glad to have you and your experience on the forum.

jettagirl87
04-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Thanks. ^_^ I know how much other knitters have helped me out so I'll do what I can to pay it forward.

sudenim
04-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi everyone
Hi everyone
I am in the UK and love knitting and crafting perse. I stumbled on this site looking for help with a difficult Raglan/Front edge that I am struggling with. Unfortunately the pattern is very verbose and there is half a page of complicated instructions. duh...
I am going to try a graph to see if I can sort it out.. but I may just have to bite the bullet and type it all out and beg for help...
Oh and a bit about me..
I am a mad crafter, I love making cards (stamping) but that seems to be fading out a bit in the UK, I love knitting and have many many items over the years, I(never thought I would struggle with a pattern) I also love cooking and baking (but am currently dieting...)
I have two grown up children and I work 4 days a week.
Also have a mental cat called Lulu.
Coming up to a milestone birthday... happy.. or sad.. hmmm
Today the sun is shining in rainy UK whoo hoo
The coffee and cupcakes are on me

salmonmac
04-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Hi sudenim and welcome to KH! We're glad to have your experience here too.
It's good to do a challenging pattern. You're definitely learning from it. If you come to a full stop, everyone here is happy to try to help (don't give us the full pattern though, just the relevant part because of copyright issues). We have experience with mental cats here too though I'm not sure that there's much to be done about them.

GrumpyGramma
04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi, sudenim, great name, wish I'd thought of it! Just don't knit a straight jacket and try to put it on the mental cat, and you should do OK. :wink: Glad you have sun, we don't, here on the Pacific Coast in Washington state.

Jan in CA
04-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Welcome everyone! We're always glad to have new members! Please check all all the great forums we have here and join in answering or asking questions. We also get quite chatty. :thumbsup:

MrsNovy
04-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone,

This website is great and I am sure it will help me a lot. I just started knitting and enjoying it although it can be quite confusing to read patterns now and then, which is why I'll have loads of questions for you guys :-)

A little about me: I am 24 years old and have a 10 month old son. Started knitting again as I needed to do something for me again. A little hobby to keep me sane :-) And why not make something for the little man in the meantime.

I'm looking forward to chatting to some of you and getting some help.

Nice evening
Sarah

GrumpyGramma
04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi, MrsNovy. Welcome to the forums. It's really great how knitting is something for you and you make something for someone else at the same time! There's lots of help here. We do sometimes get a bit chatty too. Go ask a question!

Artchic528
04-18-2013, 04:48 AM
Hello fellow knitters!!

I am glad to have found this forum. I have a great love of doing anything creative and decided to take up knitting! If only I could get that basic knit stitch down....

HeathersHobbies
04-18-2013, 04:48 AM
OK so I forgot to introduce my self :) I am a 39 year old stay at home mom to three boys ages 20, 8, and 7. I learned to knit and crochet when I was 9. I mostly crocheted for the past 30 years. Never really got into knitting all that much until now. I am like obsessed with it. I have an online shop on Etsy where I sell mostly crocheted baby shoes. I am constantly busy with orders. So I really don't get a chance to knit as much as I would like to. Hopefully I will be caught up and I can spend more time knitting. I have to use up some of this yarn I have. I almost have a yarn store in my dining room :) My husband thinks I am a hoarder. You can never have enough yarn right?

salmonmac
04-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Hi Artchic and welcome to KH! Take a look at the video for the knit stitch and see if it helps. There are at least a couple of ways to do it and you can find one that feels more comfortable to you.

Welcome too, HeathersHobbies. Yes, never enough yarn, that fits right in here with us enablers. Watch out when the yarn starts to take over the dining room table however.
Glad to have you both join us. Questions, answers and comments welcome.

HeathersHobbies
04-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Watch out when the yarn starts to take over the dining room table however.

It has already :teehee:

bobsy
04-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I am new to knitting too...so will be watching the videos ..and do thank you for this site and all the help I will probably be asking for...:muah:

GrumpyGramma
04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi, bobsy. The videos are great, I think you'll learn a lot from them. Grab your yarn and needles and join in! Ask any knitting questions you want here, you can count on getting help.

Jan in CA
04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Welcome Bobsy, artchic and Heather!!

Cathena
04-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone! I've been utilizing this site for a few few years and have finally made an account, so I already owe a lot of thanks to many of you! I guess I could always find what I needed in a video or someone else's post so I didn't start one. But the need to share my joy (obsession) of knitting can no longer be held back :)

I have a daughter, Sabrina, a beautiful 2 yr. old that is as hard headed as her mom. She's such an inspiration, especially when looking for new projects!
I also have a hard working husband who is outdoors a lot so I can make him lots of hats, gloves, socks & scarves.

Along with knitting & my fam, I love music, video games and being outside (when its not freezing cold)

Thanks to everyone for making this such a great resource, I look forward to needing help (? :roflhard: ) because I know I'll get it here :cheering:

salmonmac
04-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi Cathena and welcome! This is the right place for the joy of knitting. We share your enthusiasm as you've already seen. Glad to have your here.

Sardisknit
04-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I have just joined your community. I have been knitting for over 30 years and I love wool!
:knitting:

GrumpyGramma
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi, Julia. I'm so glad to see another experienced knitter that can help me! :) I personally only plan on knitting until I've learned all I can.

Dclutterchique
04-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Hello, I've posted a few times already, so I though I better come and introduce myself.

I'm 43 and first learnt to knit when I was 7. I've been away from knitting for a good number of years but think of it as an old friend that I haven't spoken to in a while, but we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks to this site I've learnt some tips that take my knitting from 'good enough' to 'much better'.:)

salmonmac
04-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Julie and welcome to Knitting Help! I'm sure your experience will be very helpful. Great to have you join us.

ChEMom
05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I am also one of those that learned to knit in the last century. My mother taught me when I was little, but I gave it up when I started sewing. My youngest daughter wanted to learn recently, so that has brought me back. I finished a rather "interesting" scarf recently, :teehee: and now it feels almost like my hands are itching to get going on another project.

Thank y'all so much for the videos. They have been a big help refreshing my memory!

salmonmac
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Welcome ChEMom! It is very addictive isn't it? So nice that you and your daughter can knit together and use the videos. Glad you're enjoying them.

GrumpyGramma
05-06-2013, 01:01 PM
and now it feels almost like my hands are itching to get going on another project.

That's a no-yarn allergy.

srrtype1
05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Hello all! I'm a VERY new and inexperienced knitter. I'm an anxious type and love to find new "flow" activities -- actions that clear my mind, hold my attention and give simple pleasure in completing a project.

I'm currently working on learning the purl stitch and already am having great fun... I am a little slow on learning, though. I'm creative but not necessarily very crafty. Hoping to learn lots from the forum! This is a great site! :woohoo:

GrumpyGramma
05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi, srrtype1, welcome to KH! You found the right place for finding out what you need to know. Learning to knit is well worth the effort. I find that just making the stitches helps relieve anxiety. Enjoy!

Trinket
05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I am a college student and a beginner knitter. I am so glad to have a resource like this site where people can learn more about knitting from experienced knitters! I look forward to learning a lot here and getting to know everyone.

salmonmac
05-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi Trinket and welcome! Hope you'll have some free time this summer for knitting. We're happy to have you here.

Trinket
05-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

JessHall
05-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Haven't had chance to look through the whole forum, but on the face of it it looks lovely.

I can't wait to get involved, so thanks for running it.

Jess x

salmonmac
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Jess! Welcome to KH and thanks for joining us. Please ask questions and contribute answers and comments. We also love to see pictures of works in progress or finished items.