PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30]

Jan in CA
05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Welcome to everyone!!:yay:

flyboydc10
06-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Hello all,

I am a self taught double hand knitter I can knit both right as well as left handed, I do little projects like dish cloths and afghans for friends and family and for the Fire and police department in my area. I have been knitting seriously for the last month and have done a little before that.

salmonmac
06-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Hi Flyboy and welcome to Knitting Help! Those sound like wonderful projects and I'm sure the police and fire appreciate them. Thanks for the ideas.

Herbert
06-11-2013, 02:10 AM
My name is Herbert Stoke.
Come from Maimi.

Woofens
06-24-2013, 06:17 PM
I've posted for help a couple times so I guess its time to introduce myself. I'm Janis, a 40 yo SAMH of 5, boys aged 22, 11, and 4, and daughters 16 and 14. I'm engaged to the love of my life, Jeff, and the girls and the 11 yr old our our kids. We split for 6 yrs and I had a baby with someone else, then we got back together so we've truly got a blended family. I've wanted to learn to knit for about 10 years now (Debbie Macomber books got me interested) and finally started to teach myself about 2 weeks ago. I'm so glad to have found this site, and hope to make many friends and be here a long time!

Janis

salmonmac
06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi Herbert and Janis and welcome! Good to have you here at Knitting Help.

Scelerata
06-27-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm Christina. I'm 23, and I decided to teach myself to knit this summer. I ended up picking up the English method when I started because it was more comfortable to work with as a left-handed individual--or at least I thought so--but it's kind of made learning weird, because all the guides I have present as continental so everything's backward. I'm really enjoying it so far, and one of the things I want to learn to do the most is make knit dolls. I think it'd be really fun to make super detailed little knit dolls of TV, movie, and video game characters.

Right now I'm working on a really basic garter stitch scarf. When I finish it, I'm gonna do one in all purl--which I guess would still technically be a garter stitch--and then one with notched edges to practice increasing and decreasing--you know, so I can learn the basic movements really well before starting a big project. I also want to learn to loom knit and crochet someday.

Jan in CA
06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Welcome, Scelerata!

If you were to truly knit left handed then everything would be sorta backwards, but English and continental are just different methods and can be done by either left or right handers. With english you carry the working yarn in your right hand, continental the working yarn is in the left hand. Knowing both methods is valuable for certain things like stranded knitting (fair isle), but most of us choose one method for all our basic knitting.

I know of only ONE person who truly knits left handed and she has to alter patterns a bit to make it work since most of them are written for right handed. It sounds like you're getting the hang of it anyway. :thumbsup:

Scelerata
06-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Well, I think it's English I'm using? Each row starts out in my right hand, and ends up in my left when I'm done. What is that called? I'm kinda stupid about these things!

salmonmac
06-27-2013, 07:17 PM
That sounds like that very rare bird, a true left-handed knitter. I'm a confirmed lefty myself but I was taught to knit right-handed. Welcome to the forum!

Scelerata
06-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Oh! Well how neat is that. I thought I was just using English method? when the book I bought told me to put the working yarn in my right hand, I thought it meant the whole needle...no wonder it's easier.

Thanks so much for clarifying, I'm so happy to be here. You all seem so very nice.

sandylee222
07-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Hello, everyone, i am a newbie here. This site looks amazing, i don't know much about knitting, but i wanna learn some from yours. So nice to be here.

lindacwebb
07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Hi I am Linda from California, i have a question, what is the difference between long rib and short rib.

Jan in CA
07-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Hi Linda, welcome! This is the introduction thread. Post in the correct forum and you'll get more replies. I suggest the general forum for this question. :thumbsup:

irvinjones330
07-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Hello everyone!

I was looking for a place online where I can just simply express myself about anything in relation to knitting. I am interested in this art and appreciates the benefits that it gives. I am lucky to find this site. It's totally wonderful to be here. I am just new but I am looking forward to knowing each and everyone of you better.

:woot:

salmonmac
07-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Welcome Sandy, Linda and Irvin! Great to have you join us.

maniagokm
07-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Checking in here. Thanks to Amy for the original videos which got me started a few years back. Since then I've been knitting up socks for my skiing and scuba diving habits - yes we wear socks in the wet - alpaca wool is a wonderful thing. And surprise, I'm a total gear head, beer drinking guy. I think I'm going to tackle gloves next...! Cheers Ladies! :thumbsup:

salmonmac
07-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Glad to have you join us! Those knitting videos are a wonderful launching pad. And good to know about the scuba socks too.

KnittedwithLove
07-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone! I'm obviously new and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

sharonkhatton
07-24-2013, 03:19 PM
What a super site! I got the answer to my question so quickly...and it was so simple. Thanks so much!

salmonmac
07-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Welcome KnittedwithLove and Sharon! We're happy to have you join us. Your questions and comments are always welcome, too.

Lorraine3289
07-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Hi everyone, I have been visiting this site for several months now and thought it was about time I came in and joined the team. This is the first forum I have ever joined so hopefully I don't make too many oops's.

I live in a small town in Western Victoria, Australia and picked up the knitting needles again, about 3 months ago, after many years of not knitting. I have just finished my first jumper, and yes I will post a photo soon.

This site, which includes the members, is amazing and extremely thorough. Before I starting knitting the above mentioned jumper, I think I read right through the 'Tips' thread and found some great info there as well as reading most of the current (and some older) threads - it's been a great way to learn along with the videos.

Thanks again for a great site.

salmonmac
07-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the forum! A team is a great way to describe the group here. We're all in this together and learning as we go. It's good to have you as a member and we'll be happy to see your finished project.

DavidSydney63
07-27-2013, 04:22 AM
Hi Lorraine - nice to see another Aussie here!

David.

FuffyKnitter
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Marianna and I am stay at home mama looking for a hobby/creative outlet. I tried to learn how to knit a few years but got so frustrated. I threw my needles across the room and gave up. I lack patience and am trying so hard to over come that. I walked into my local knitting store in the small town I live in for the first the ever the other day. The owner was so kind and talked to me for a few minutes to encourage me to give knitting another shot. She is the one that pointed me to this website and I am so grateful! This is exactly what I needed and I am excited to get started!! :woohoo:

GrumpyGramma
08-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi, there, Marianna. I tried to learn knitting several times and couldn't until I tried Continental style. If one style is not working for you try another. I know of English, Continental, Portuguese, and Eastern European styles, all accomplish the same end in somewhat different ways. Your LYS owner is obviously brilliant to point you here! Hmmmmmm.....I wonder who they are.

claireweber
08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Marianna and I am stay at home mama looking for a hobby/creative outlet. I tried to learn how to knit a few years but got so frustrated. I threw my needles across the room and gave up. I lack patience and am trying so hard to over come that. I walked into my local knitting store in the small town I live in for the first the ever the other day. The owner was so kind and talked to me for a few minutes to encourage me to give knitting another shot. She is the one that pointed me to this website and I am so grateful! This is exactly what I needed and I am excited to get started!! :woohoo:

Hello from a fellow North Carolinian! People here are always willing to help out; the owner of that shop certainly pointed you in the right direction. I hail from Winston-Salem, have only been knitting for a few years myself, but if you find yourself up my way I would be more than happy to share what experience I can. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Knitting is a wonderful world, welcome back!

TonyaOwens
08-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Hi: I love to knit, I have been crocheting since I could walk. My grandmothers did it and my cousin taught me how, but I really enjoy knitting more which I learned from a young lady who was working as an ems, and it took her all of 5 min to teach me. Which I can truly tell you surprised me, that I did take to it so quickly, and now I can't get enough of it, I go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby just to buy yard that I really don't need. lol I was looking for a knitting site and just happened onto this one, so very vey glad I did. Thank you, for having this site, it's a real help for beginners like me:woot: :woohoo:

salmonmac
08-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Welccome TonyaOwens! It's nice to be part of a family tradition, whether knitting or crochet. I'm glad you found us and hope you'll join the conversation.

arlmeenan
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi, I am a beginning knitter and have been for many years! I took a class but then I surfed the net and found this site. The "Getting Started and Learn How to Knit" video really got me going but I still have not mastered fixing my mistakes. Thus I have been quite frustrated and gave up. I recently found beautiful autumn color yarn (Redheart "Autumn") and would love to make a very easy shawl or wrap with it. I've checked the net for a pattern but haven't found the right one. I really look forward to advice, suggestions, and support from all you knitters out there. Thanks, Ann

GrumpyGramma
08-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi, arlmeenan. This is the place for anyone who wants to improve their kniiting skills. You can join at www.ravelry.com (it's free) and have access to zillions of patterns. When you find one you like you can start a thread and ask away if anything confuses you.

ame
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi, im emma...
Found thisnforum while googling, thanks for acceptbme here
Im beginner knitter, but really want to learn
Just start oractice my finger to knit, hopefully can make something from it haha

What things easier to knit for beginjer?

Thank you, and glad to mett u all here :cheering:

_emma

salmonmac
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi ame and welcome to Knitting Help! It's always good to hear from a new knitter. Some people like to start with scarves because they're flat and can be done in very plain stitch patterns but I think something smaller is a little less boring. You could try a dishcloth or just small squares until you're more comfortable with knit stitch and purl stitch. Take a look at the videos under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Getting Started.
Glad to have you join us.

Jess22
08-17-2013, 04:53 AM
I have always been a basic knitter until I started my first project, this site has been an amazing help always quick to answer my questions no matter how big or small :) so a big thank you!!

salmonmac
08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
You're more than welcome from all of us. Glad you could join us.

Gregory
08-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi. I'm a new beginner on knitting. Trying to familiarized myself with this site.

GrumpyGramma
08-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi there, Gregory. Welcome. Whatever help you need, just ask. You'll find we're a helpful bunch. We were all beginners at the beginning and 2 years after I started I still learn something new with every new project. Have fun!

Gregory
08-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank you. I'm trying new patterns and wanted to know what the following means:

Multiple of 14sts +4 +2 edge sts

Thanks.

Greg

Ingrid
08-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Thank you. I'm trying new patterns and wanted to know what the following means:

Multiple of 14sts +4 +2 edge sts

Thanks.

Greg

Your pattern repeat is 14 + 2 stitches. That means that each repeat of the pattern takes a multiple of 14 + 2, 28 + 2, 42 + 2, etc. Added to that would be one stitch at each edge.

betsyelise
08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I am new to this forum.
I first learned to knit in the 7th grade, many, many years ago.
A few years ago I started lace knitting. I like challenges.
I also love using beautiful and unique yarns.
I also like to crochet and do beading -- and I collect dolls (BJD).

I am glad to hace a place to come to for help.

salmonmac
08-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome betsyelise! We're glad to have you join us. It sounds like you have lots of experience with knit and crochet. Thanks for joining the forum.

svjknit
08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone! I have been an avid knitter for years, and have been coming to this site for tips and reminders on a (very) regular basis.

This is my first forum, so please forgive me for faux pas I may make.

I have made several hats, scarfs and sweaters, and am about to tackle my first "heirloom" project: an Aran blanket. I found a stunning pattern while clearing out my gran's attic, a pattern she used as gifts for the births of her 3 grandchildren.

I love the idea of carrying on the tradition, and my brother and his wife are expecting their first in March! So the timing is perfect.

My question is superwash vs. non-superwash yarn. Any thoughts? Or perhaps someone could direct me to the appropriate forum thread?

Cheers! for Toronto

GrumpyGramma
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi & welcome, svjknit. Your heirloom blanket sounds wonderful. For a baby item I'd want to use superwash. They do have a way of messing things up and with a new baby handwash items could get into the washer by mistake and that could be heartbreaking. When I had babies I think I did laundry while I was asleep. :sleepy:

salmonmac
08-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Welcome. What a lovely tradition to carry on. I agree with GG, superwash is worth it for the convenience for new families. I hope you'll let us see a picture of the finished blanket.

dalhousie
08-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi there - I'm new here and a novice-ish knitter - just done scarves & hats. I'm knitting an easy knit cardigan & am stuck already so have posted in the how to section titled "cast off or K2tog" so will look forward to some replies.

:muah:

adrian
08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi! :muah:

I've just started knitting, and although I seem to be a slow learner, I am already really enjoying it and getting slightly addicted :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone :cool:

salmonmac
08-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Welcome Dalhousie and Adrian! Delighted to have you both join the forum. We love to get questions and also to have you post answers and comments, so you've come to the right place. As for adicted knittiers, that's us.

Judeh
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
I've been crocheting for years, I know the basics of knitting but haven't done it in a long time. I'm ready to get started again. I've tried to start projects several times, but lose count of stitches and honestly I can't tell a knit from a purl once I've done it! I need to get back to the very basics. So I can at least learn to tell my stitches apart! Any suggestions? Glad to find a good forum to join too!

Ingrid
08-30-2013, 04:31 PM
I've been crocheting for years, I know the basics of knitting but haven't done it in a long time. I'm ready to get started again. I've tried to start projects several times, but lose count of stitches and honestly I can't tell a knit from a purl once I've done it! I need to get back to the very basics. So I can at least learn to tell my stitches apart! Any suggestions? Glad to find a good forum to join too!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=56473&d=1361237524
This might help. And welcome!

Judeh
08-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much! I enlarged it and printed it out. I'll keep it with my "stuff". I'd like to eventually knit things, besides scarfs, but need to learn to walk again before I run! Great to have support!:cheering:

enchant
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Hello brand new to the site still somewhat a beginner knitter & been teaching myself thru youtube videos but came across a beautiful patteren but i cant quite figure it out & thought maybe i should join a knitting forum so here I go if anyone has a suggestion of what threads i should look at being new here would be greatly appreciated :)

csjones
09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi, I am new forum user. I hope this is where I am to type.
CamillaWelcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

salmonmac
09-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Welcome enchant and csjones!
We're happy that you joined us. There are several threads in General Knitting, How-tos, Pattern Central and What'cha that may be helpful. The Stickies at the beginning of the sections are good and the videos and Glossary are always great for reference. That's just to begin.
Have fun looking around.

nareid
09-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi there! My name is Nicole. I am a self taught knitter since 2009. I stick to pretty basic beginner patterns because I am comfortable with them. But I am ready to expand and learn how to read more difficult patterns and learn new stitches and techniques. I normally knit English style, although I taught myself Continental. Continental takes me a long time and my gauge is not consistent. My English style is better, but I am a tight stitch. I am working on that. Anyways, I mainly knit baby blankets, cowls, scarfs, and throws. I know how to do basic crochet as well.

I look forward to learning new things and the exchange of help and patterns!

salmonmac
09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi Nicole and welcome! Sounds like you have lots of experience with various projects. This is a great place for seeing what others are working on and for learning new techniques. Happy that you joined the forum.

knitter45
09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I am new from the uk.I live in sunny Devon.I knit mainly small items for preemies and family.

salmonmac
09-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help! Good to have you here on the forum. Many UK knittiers here and maybe even some from Devon.

dalhousie
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
I am new from the uk.I live in sunny Devon.I knit mainly small items for preemies and family.

Welcome. I've just joined recently. I'm from the UK in the north west - Lancashire.

:grphug:

Binster
09-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Glad I found this site! I'm sure it'll come in handy to have such a large network of talented people :wink:

mimsthings
09-21-2013, 12:50 AM
I am new to this site, and sort of new to knitting....learned many years ago as a child, but the years and life went by, then had serious hand problems, but long story short, I am back to the needles and hooks. I only use circulars now, but I CAN knit now...

I am amazed at all the new gorgeous yarns and wonderful patterns.

But...I scored a zillion old knitting pamphlets and magazines today at the thrift store and found an ad for THE FREEDOM SWEATER, by Jacqueline Olsen hours later (almost 1 a.m. now) I found myself here! Amazing Threads was NO help, and can't find it anywhere. :(
I am a slow knitter and Christmas is right around the corner...I need to get :knitting: (gosh I love your stuff here!)

So I know someone else wanted this pattern a while ago, and eventually managed to acquire it...hoping I will get that lucky too!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help and Welcome!

I will be signing off now, but will be back on after my garden chores tomorrow....

talk to you then, good night

salmonmac
09-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Hi Binster and Mimsthings and welcome!
Minsthings, yes, not much information on the freedom sweater but you might try lookng for a similar top down ribbed sweater among the patterns on Ravelry (use an advanced search). I see Ironwoman (http://www.ravelry.com/people/Ironwoman) who found the pattern is also on Rav and you might send her a message in case she is still active there.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-94174.html

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/freedom-sweater

Hope you can track it down.

attaway
09-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Esther, 22, from Germany - just found this site via ravelry.com and signed up straight away! :)

salmonmac
09-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Happy to have you join us Esther! It's always nice to have more members contribute to the conversation.

Dapablo
09-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi I'm Paul from Cornwall, UK.

Signed up looking for help reading a pattern, but after a nights sleep I think I reasoned my way forward.

Nan taught me to knit when I was a child and it's a bit like riding a bike in that context, once the basics were re-taught it's easy to then just carry on.

My last project was probably 16 years ago whilst workin away from home, a Kaffe Fasset housecoat for my lady, loads of poppies twas a fine thing.

Started a little while ago knitting again, a cardigan for my teenage daughter, a love gift it that makes sense. Got the back and two side panels completed then got completely freaked by the pattern for the arms, it just didn't make any sense.

Tried to locate the the website for the magazine "Knitting" and naturally it's vanished. April 2013 if there's a chance of anybody.

Kinda figured the way to proceed though would be measurement, use a tape and make the arms 2-3 inches longer and trust the top reduction instructions.

Hi anyway, I'll be doing more after this one so will wander around on occaision.

salmonmac
09-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi Paul and welcome. Sounds like you had a wonderful teacher and you've gotten back to knitting in a big way. If you've solved the sleeve problem that's great. If not, give us the name of the pattern and and some details and perhaps we can offer some help.

Caora
10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm new! Obviously. LOL Well, not new to knitting, but new to the site. Well, new to the forum, I've used the site before for help. I'm so happy to join this community of knitters and crocheters :woohoo:
A big Hello Hiya to all of you!

salmonmac
10-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Hi to you too, Caora! Glad you could join us and looking forward to your posts.

KermodeMamma
10-23-2013, 12:03 PM
:cry: Hello there all! I'm very new to knitting, I can only cast on and no amount of videos or books or personal help is making me any better. I am giving up...I can cast on but after that....my stitches are too tight. I try tugging a bit like my mother in law suggested but it didn't do anything :(

Is there anyone who has any suggestions I can try?? I've been breaking down in tears every time I try to knit....

GrumpyGramma
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi, KermodeMamma. Knitting tight is a problem for many. You're not alone! I found that how I hold the yarn, not too tightly so that it flows through my fingers, helped a lot. Making sure I get the new stitch on the fatter part of the needle helps too. The angle at which I hold the needles in relation to each other makes a difference. I suggest some soothing music, a who cares I'm just doing this because I want to attitude and just sit for a while and see what difference trying some different things makes. Usually it seems that a death grip on the working yarn and pulling the yarn tight after making a new stitch are the main culprits. We'd love to see you succeed! One last thing: Don't start with a real project, just cast on and see if you can do some rows that you're more satisfied with.

Caora
10-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi KermodeMamma, like GrumpyGramma said, a lot of us have had this problem. When I first started I knitted so tight that if I used wood needles I could barely budge the yarn. So I switched to aluminum. Also, like GrumpyGramma said, practice practice practice. I bought a big ole thing of the cheapest yarn I could find and first did only knit stitch, then purl, then knit and purl...soon I was knitting much smoother and not so tight. I almost gave up, too. But once you find your groove it's so fun and gratifying.
Also, if you knit Continental, maybe try English. Or vise versa. Maybe? I hope it helps. We don't want you to give up. Just find your grove and you'll totally be a pro :woot:

salmonmac
10-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Hi KermodeMomma, All good advice above. One other thing you might try is almost no tension on the yarn. No grip, no tug. Cast on with the long tail or knit cast on which are pretty easy to knit into on row 1 and then lay the yarn around the needle to form the knit stitch. Don't worry about how to tension the yarn or about even stitches. Just keep doing this very loose knit stitch until you've gone seveal inches before thinking about keeping tension on the working strand.

claireweber
10-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Welcome to KH KermodeMomma - Hang in there, we would all love to see you succeed at knitting. Salmon's advice is excellent. I think if you practice this you'll find you are on your way.

justplaincharlotte
11-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Hi Paul:

Could this be the April 2013 issue you're referring to?
http://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5144&idcategory=705

I didn't see a forum of any sort, but there is a Contact
Us button. You might be able to reach the sweater designer to ask after your plans for the arms... hope this helps!

JennieK
11-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi, I'm completely new to knitting! I want to learn :) I found this site through Ravelry. :)

Would you all recommend learning from a local yarn shop (they have classes) or trying to learn first through the videos here?

GrumpyGramma
11-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Hi and welcome to knitting and Knitting Help. If you can get classes at a LYS you would probably enjoy them. I learned from books, videos, and mostly from reading and asking questions here. Have you checked the Free Videos available here on this site? Whatever you decide to do, have fun!

bionerd87
11-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey, I am new to the site and sorta new to knitting. I started teaching myself to knit last winter, but didn't really get into it until earlier this year. I mainly loom knit, but do occasionally use the needles. I am a college biology lab professor and a graduate student. Knitting is a Huge stress reliever for me. I look forward to getting to know everyone on here! :woot:

Doris200
11-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm new to this site, just joined, and wanted to say "Hi" to you all. :aww:
The site looks great, plenty of info & advice for a novice like myself.
Am looking forward to reading the articles and watching the videos. Cheerio for now.

salmonmac
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi Doris and Bionerd, and welcome to KH! We're happy to have you join us. Enjoy the videos which are so useful for all of us.
Yes, Bio, knitting is great stress relief, a chance to think things out and good for figuring out what could have gone wrong with the restriction enzyme digest.

candy856
11-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi, can anyone tell me how to drop two sts from left needle ? Doing twisted st. I love this site. I learned to knit from this site, but never joined the forum till today. I know there are wonderful people on this site... Happy knitting...:aww:

claireweber
11-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me how to drop two sts from left needle ? Doing twisted st. I love this site. I learned to knit from this site, but never joined the forum till today. I know there are wonderful people on this site... Happy knitting...:aww:

Hello and Welcome to KH! I am always amazed to hear when someone learns to knit without having a person teach them.

There are various types of twisted stitches. Could you post the pattern directions for this particular stitch? That will help us to assist you.

Caters
11-11-2013, 04:36 AM
I am a knitter who has been mostly self taught and has knitted for a year or so. I am knitting a blanket for myself that has these cables. :knitting:

salmonmac
11-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi Caters and welcome! I know you've already posted in the forum and we're happy to have your questions. Hope the blanket is coming along well.

Caters
11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
The blanket is coming along well. In fact I am on row 40 of 98 of my cathedral cable block. I am going to knit other cables besides it. I fact each block of the blanket will be a different cable and have a different color.

bridge1892
11-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey everyone. I just registered today. I use to knit and crochet daily, but then I dropped the habit and now I forget a lot of what I learned. I came here hoping to "jog my memory" and pick up some new skills through these great resources. c:

GrumpyGramma
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Welcome, bridge! If you want encouragement in your yarn habits, you've certainly come to the right place! What'cha knittin'?

Caz
12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Hello, I thought I'd sign up and introduce myself. I'm not sure how much I will use these forums because there are so many great tutorials on youtube and elsewhere to help with any problems, but it can't hurt to have an account here in case I run into any trouble :cool:

I've been knitting on and off for about 25 years, but I'm still pretty much a novice. I love knitting, but a big problem for me is my knitting speed and the lack of free time I have. I'm currently working on my PhD, and I have other hobbies that take up time. Regardless, I would like to spend a little bit of time knitting again and build up my skill level, and would also like to learn how to crochet.

I was going through my knitting bag recently and found the last thing I knitted. It is a little cardigan for a baby that I knitted while my sister was pregnant but, largely due to my lack of confidence with seams, I never got around to finishing it. My nephew is now 10 years old :teehee:

Prior to this, I have knitted exactly one jumper, as well as dozens of smaller items like scarves, gloves, beanies, etc. Anyway, I've started to knit another scarf to get back into the swing of it, but I'm also going to finish off this little cardigan (all I have to do is knit the band and sew it together), and I've started practicing some crochet, but I need to buy a larger hook because all I have is a 3.5mm, and it's a bit small for learning IMO.

GrumpyGramma
12-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi, Caz. Welcome to KH. As time allows please do join in! We'd love to see photos of your knitted and crocheted pieces. I use a lot of videos to learn how to do things in knitting but when I have a question that I really need answered, I ask it here. Working on your PhD is wonderful. I wish you every success. :thumbsup:

Caz
12-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks GrumpyGramma :)

BytheStitch
12-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi
I am an avid knitter Love Love Love it! I found your forum by looking for patterns for the white buffalo The Canadian Yarn patterns. Many years ago I knitted one for my husband but being the early days it was too tight across the shoulders (my "carrying the yarn along" was too tight and didnt allow the sweater to stretch) Anywho here we are years later and I found 7 balls of grey one white and one black. I am looking for the pattern merely for the stitches required and method for extra large. I can not find the original pattern pamphlet I had which was for the geo pattern. Can anyone help me with my search and where to buy or get this info? Please. I have made many sweater along the way and perhaps I can post some pictures for you to see. Even made a couple incorporating reflective piping across the chest and back. worked out well! Look forward to hearing from someone Please help if you can! Also what a great forum I think I need my drool cloth :woot:

salmonmac
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi BytheStitch and welcome! You are too kind.
Glad you found us by whatever route. I'm going to copy you post to the Pattern Central forum because you'll get more attention there. I hope someone can help with the search.

GrumpyGramma
12-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi, BytheStitch. Did you offer to post pictures? I'd love to see them. This is a great, friendly place. I think you just might like hanging out here.

riversong82
12-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi all! I'm a newbie here on the KH forums. Thought I'd pop in and say a quick helloooooooo! :)

GrumpyGramma
12-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi, riversong82. Welcome. What'cha knittin'?

riversong82
12-07-2013, 02:48 PM
On my needles right now I've got an Irish Hiking Scarf (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/irish-hiking-scarf), In The Land of Oz shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/in-the-land-of-oz) (in Tosh Merino light and a lovely, lovely colorway: Stargazing) and I'm going to cast on for Twig (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/twig-3) but looking for the perfect lining fiber for it...always love an excuse to hit up my LYS :)

riversong82
12-07-2013, 02:49 PM
also, I've got to say that your sig made me laugh out loud! haha

GrumpyGramma
12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
also, I've got to say that your sig made me laugh out loud! haha

Yeah? Well, hmph. :teehee: Every time I say it, I do mean it. :roflhard: Then I say it again. :mrgreen:

riversong82
12-07-2013, 03:12 PM
hahahaha! i've been there SO many times myself lol

AngelAnya
12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
i am most probably the smallest one trying to knit here, i'm 14. i still haven't got it right yet. i did ones but the whole thing fell down before i was done and it got ruined. maybe it is because i am trying it out with very thin wool. anyways my mom is a bit busy so she cannot take me to a shop to buy the wool. when she was younger she knitted with one needle (i have no idea we can knit with one needle :o) so i am using her needle and i am going to buy another needle soon :))
wish me luck everyone!
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

GrumpyGramma
12-08-2013, 10:20 PM
i am most probably the smallest one trying to knit here, i'm 14. i still haven't got it right yet. i did ones but the whole thing fell down before i was done and it got ruined. maybe it is because i am trying it out with very thin wool. anyways my mom is a bit busy so she cannot take me to a shop to buy the wool. when she was younger she knitted with one needle (i have no idea we can knit with one needle :o) so i am using her needle and i am going to buy another needle soon :))
wish me luck everyone!
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:
Hi and welcome to KH. You knit with one needle? Wow. I'm amazed. How do you do it?

AngelAnya
12-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Hi and welcome to KH. You knit with one needle? Wow. I'm amazed. How do you do it? no i don't knit with one needle. my mom did when she was in job.:teehee: she quit her job when she was 30 so obviously its a long time back since she is now 44 :P
i am knitting with her one needle and a pencil. i am going to buy another needle soon.:thumbsup:

salmonmac
12-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Good for you. Lots of us started out at your age, too, although not perhaps with such imaginative needles. Hope you get a complete set soon and welcome to the forum!

AngelAnya
12-11-2013, 02:38 AM
Good for you. Lots of us started out at your age, too, although not perhaps with such imaginative needles. Hope you get a complete set soon and welcome to the forum!
thanks hehe n yeah. hehehehehehehehe :P :yay:
i CANT WAIT to get proper wool and another needle. :cheering:

clwwk3011
12-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Hello! *waves* Relatively new knitter here I've been knitting for about 10 months, although I haven't been knitting straight through that whole time. At this point, I think I've made one scarf (or one and a half, heh), one sock, one handwarmer (noticing a trend here?), and three hats. I've just finished my first mitten and am making my way through my second.

I've found these forums very helpful in the past, so I thought it was about time I joined.

salmonmac
12-14-2013, 05:26 PM
We're happy to have you join us! Sounds like you're enjoying trying new patterns and learning as you go. I'm glad that you're breaking the trend and doing the second mittern. The picture you posted of the mitten looks great.

thedtpkid
12-18-2013, 05:39 PM
just wanted to say hi! Great site with a lot of information - hopefully I can make something soon!

salmonmac
12-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help!
We're happy to have you join us. I hope that you can make something soon too. Small dishcloths are fun to make, not too big and good practice for all kinds of stitch patterns and techniques.

thedtpkid
12-18-2013, 06:48 PM
THanks for the encouragement - i'll post something once I get it up!

simplygrace
12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
:yay: you go girl... I started crocheting and embroidery at an early age so at 14 I was crocheting afghans also I di Intarsia crochet I didn't know what it was called but my mom would order me kits I loved it. Does your one needle have a hook on it? if so it may be for that kind of needle work. Have fun Anya! :woot: no i don't knit with one needle. my mom did when she was in job.:teehee: she quit her job when she was 30 so obviously its a long time back since she is now 44 :P
i am knitting with her one needle and a pencil. i am going to buy another needle soon.:thumbsup:

des
12-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to knitting. Maybe less than a year. I've made many, many scarves so far with the homespun yarn, which I learned on and absolutely love. The problem is that the yarn seems to flatten out about 1/4-1/2 way through the skein. What is the best type/brand of yarn to use that doesn't flatten and lose it's shape? I've been using the Lion's Brand Homespun. Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Ingrid
12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to knitting. Maybe less than a year. I've made many, many scarves so far with the homespun yarn, which I learned on and absolutely love. The problem is that the yarn seems to flatten out about 1/4-1/2 way through the skein. What is the best type/brand of yarn to use that doesn't flatten and lose it's shape? I've been using the Lion's Brand Homespun. Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Homespun is not the greatest yarn, even though the colors are nice. Pretty much any other yarn will have more bounce and give.

knittingroo
12-22-2013, 05:03 PM
I've been knitting since I was about 12.... never got beyond the scarf and hat stage, but I've flooded the neighborhood with my scarves. In fact, I think I saw a homeless guy wearing one of my scarves just the other day! I am not happy at the moment. I ordered cashmere yarn from Yubina and was promised that it would be delivered mid-November - plenty of time to make a couple of delightful scarves (gasp!) for my family. It is December 21. After emails, verification of the address as well as the order, a Paypal inquiry, and yet one more email, I have YET to receive my yarn. It is now too late to make scarves - or anything else for that matter. I am extremely disappointed in the customer service as well as the fact that I have NOT received my yarn nor any tracking information so that I can see if it got stuck in some post office somewhere. I don't know how wonderful the yarn is BECAUSE I NEVER RECEIVED IT.

salmonmac
12-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Disappointing all around, I know. I haven't ordered from Yubina but delivery time from online stores is always an unknown, sometimes surprisingly fast but other times, not. Maybe you can give cards with the promise of a scarf this year? Hope the yarn arrives soon and you enjoy the delights of knitting with cashmere.

Wassler
12-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi,

Let me start by whising all of you a merry christmas (i know i'ts one day late but better late than never)

I'm Wouter. I recently took up knitting again after a very long hiatus. I learned some basic knitting at elementary school (yes over here in Belgium they used to teach it to both the boys and the girls) and actually really enjoyed it back then. Spent many hrs with my mom knitting. Though usually very simple things.

I hope to find some good advice and inspiration on this forum to help me get back on track. Currently I'm working on a scarf made from a katia Ondas like yarn (cheaper alternative before I spend some on the real stuff)

Kind regards,

Wouter.

GrumpyGramma
12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Welcome to KH, Wouter. It's great you've joined in. If you want encouragement in knitting, you've found the right place. We'd love to see photos of your work too.

tabsheltie7
12-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi all! I'm so happy I've found this site, I've been browsing for about an hour and just decided to join in the fun. We have a nice little group of women where I live that get together every Tuesday evening and knit, crochet, etc. at the public library. It's a lot of fun. I've been knitting since I was 14 or 15 and am happy to have finally found a place to share and get good advise. Merry Christmas!:mrgreen:
Tabitha

Rorshach
12-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Welcome, Wouter, nice to see another man on this site as well, there's a few of us running around. And welcome to you, Tabitha, always nice to see new faces so to speak.

sonam
12-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Hello everyone,
My name is Sonam, I am from Bhutan. I am a beginner and glad to have found this forum:)

cheers and a happy new year!

Sonam

salmonmac
12-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Welcome to Knitting Help and a very happy new year to you to Sonam! We're happy you've started knitting and joined us here. Lots of good videos to help you get started and many people ready to help with questions. We love to see pictures of your projects, too.

salmonmac
01-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi nomi, Happy you joined the forum. Lookng forward to maor posts by you.

pinkpearl
01-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi, happy to have found knittinghelp. I live in the UK and was taught to knit by my Gran when I was eight years old. I made scarves for my dolls. I made myself a sweater when I was eleven, with a LOT of help by my Mum. Then nothing until I had my first son, when of course I knitted baby cardigans. Now have two grown up sons and two new daughter's in law. I am now finishing the last of the aran sweaters for each of them. Four aran sweaters in two months! I'm crazy, but I love them all, and knitting for them.

salmonmac
01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Welcome pinkpearl!
Wow, 4 aran knits, that's fabulous. Glad to have you join us here.

kolina
02-07-2014, 03:51 AM
hello,
nice to finally find such an awesome knitting site :)
i am just a begginer if it comes to knitting, so probably will need help off members here alot XDDD

nice to meet you all ;)

salmonmac
02-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi Kolina and welcome to Knitting Help! We love knit and crochet here and are always happy to have someone new to either craft join us. Ask away and we'll all try to help.

Saralox
02-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Hello fellow knitters. I've been casually knitting for years but lately I've been really interested in lace. I'm here for support and community. I'm really into the construction of things and one of my goals is to truly UNDERSTAND knitting so that I can look at an item and have a good idea of how it was made as well as finding alternatives to stitches that are better suited for construction.

There's a pattern collection I'm going through right now (I'll post more thoroughly in the appropriate thread) where the author has chosen stitches I'm not accustomed to (and don't like) using. Will tweaking and altering increase and decrease stitches drastically alter my pattern for better or worse? That's what I'm here to discover!!

Happy knitting ladies and gentlemen!

GrumpyGramma
02-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Hi, Sarah, welcome! There are those here who are are well acquainted with lace knitting and I'm sure you'll have some great discussions. Happy :knitting: !!

LunaTick
02-11-2014, 05:43 PM
I just retired after teaching school for 39 years. I decided to learn how to knit so I took a class at our local yarn shop. I love it, but seem to run into snags on every project I've undertaken. I'm hoping to get some answers, ideas, and encouragement on this site.

GrumpyGramma
02-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi, Luna, welcome to KH. When you need answers to knitting questions, this is the place to ask.

Scoleson
02-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Sammi and I just stumbled on this site. I taught myself how to knit (with a few lessons from youtube;) ) and I love it! I always seem to run into snags in my projects and can't quite figure some patterns out. I'm sooooo excited to get some of those questions answered!

Happy to meet ya'll!!!!

salmonmac
02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you've come to the right place. We're happy to have you join us. I hope we can help next time you get stuck.

maddknitter
02-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Hello! New knitter here! Hoping to find the answers!!

GrumpyGramma
02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Hello! New knitter here! Hoping to find the answers!!

Hi and welcome. I'm still trying to figure out what are the questions. :zombie:

Marileen
02-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Hi everyone! :)
My name is Marileen and I'm from Holland.
(so please excuse my bad Englisch)
I love to knitt and crochet.
I'm 51 years old and have a son,Anthony, who is 26 years old.
And I am the mom of 2 very sweet Grey Guys (Parrots)....Harry and Toon and a little Bleu Guy (budgie) called Bob.

salmonmac
02-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Hi Marileen and welcome!
Loving knit and crochet sounds perfect here. It's great to have you join us.

Marileen
02-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Hi Marileen and welcome!
Loving knit and crochet sounds perfect here. It's great to have you join us.

Thank you so much for your welcom Salmonmac .
It's a wonderful site :)
I have not yet read anything, but this afternoon I go reading again.:happydance:
Also I have to figure out how it all works and where you can post the right things. :)

kolina
02-20-2014, 09:12 AM
hi Marileen :)
welcome and I must say I love your name, even tho I am probably pronouncing it wrong :aww:

Seabreeze
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi all! I'm returning to knitting & crocheting after many years away. Now that I'm semi-retired I find I have some time. Right now I'm making dog sweaters - very basic pattern. I hope to get to the more advanced patterns & will most likely be asking you all for lots of help. Really happy that I found this site.:muah:

salmonmac
02-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Glad that you found us too. Welcome!
Wonderful to have the time to spend knitting and dog sweaters are a great way to go. We'd love to see photos of the finished sweaters if you'd like to post them.

mom2pugs
02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
I am so excited to find you....I am trying so hard to learn knitting but the classes are so $$$$ here. I hope I find help.:cheering:

GrumpyGramma
02-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi, mom2pugs. Help is what Knitting Help is all about. I learned to knit and have never been to a class. KH made it possible. Check the free videos, grab your yarn and needles, and cast on! The long tail cast on or a knitted cast on are great for starting out. Happy :knitting:

CindyinAtl
03-02-2014, 11:01 AM
I guess you would call me an intermediate beginner. I can knit, purl, caste on and off with ease. However, some of the more complex stitches really get me or I simply forget them when I haven't used them in a while. So, your site is incredibly helpful! Videos here are so much better than others. Love the forum too!

I am interested in buying some of the videos that aren't free. If I do, will I always be able to access them online here? Or will I have to pull out DVDs each time?

Thanks!
CindyinAtl

salmonmac
03-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi Cindy and welcome to KnittingHelp!
We're happy you're enjoying the forum and the videos. I think Amy's explanations are clear and to the point, too.
The premium videos are instant watch (no waiting for DVDs). I'll see if I can find out more about accessability and pm you.

amy
03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this, Mary Anne. Welcome CindyinAtl, great question. I can't remember what Sheldon and I decided on for this. Of course, the goal is to keep it up forever, but Sheldon may know of technical limitations to this. :poke: Shel?

xToXicBeAutYx
03-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Hi! My name is Michelle. I'm 25 years old. I'm from Virginia.

I learned to crochet when I was 10 from my grandma. I learned how to knit when I was in college. I've been knitting for 7 years & it's become my PASSION.

I have a knitting business called "Custom Creations".
Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/customcreations.us)
Instagram (http://www.Instagram.com/customcreations_us)
Be sure to follow me on Instagram!! ;)

I'm also on Ravelry. Just check out the link in my signature. Add me! I'm always looking for friends on there! :)

salmonmac
03-17-2014, 05:47 AM
Hi xToXicBeAutYx and welcome. Thanks for your posts. You've come to the right place. We love knitting and crochet here and are happy that you've joined us.

xToXicBeAutYx
03-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Thank you!! So far, I'm loving it! :inlove:

newbieknittermomto4
03-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Hello everyone. I am just a few months old the knitting world. I have known how to crochet for many years.... Tried to learn how to knit in the past but had no luck understanding. A friend pointed me to this website and it clicked ! I am very excited to be here :knitting:

Lorraine3289
03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Welcome, you will get all the help you need here and there are great videos and other learning tools here too. Enjoy the journey.

xToXicBeAutYx
03-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Welcome!! :cheering:

dillybar
03-25-2014, 11:24 PM
I decided I wanted to learn to knit about 2 weeks ago and found this site! The videos were so clear and well explained! I love the support and all the amazing info! Thank you so much for creating this page!

salmonmac
03-26-2014, 05:09 AM
Welcome dillybar!
Glad you starting knitting and that the videos are helpful. I like them too and use them for all sorts of techniques. Good to have you join us.

SplatteredWhim
03-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi! I'm Claire.

I just finished a class where I learned to knit and purl, but now I'm on my own. I've already used the videos here quite a bit (thank you, btw) and am looking forward to learning more and more!

salmonmac
03-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi Claire and welcome to KnitingHelp!
So good to have another new knitter. We're all happy to try and help if you run into problems or questions, so you're not really on your own.

cici
04-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone, I have been knitting for a few years now and this website really helped me out when I first started. This is the first time using the forum though. I can't wait to share the projects I'm working on and see what everyone else is working on as well. :knitting:

gwynnie
04-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi, I'm Gwen. I've been knitting for one whole month now! I have been a cross stitcher for years, and I've crocheted off and on for some time. I just discovered, however, that I've been crocheting backwards for years, so a friend suggested I learn to knit. I love it, even though I am still riding with training wheels, so to speak. I have used the videos here quite a bit, and I think I may be about ready to branch out and purl. :woohoo:

Looking forward to reading more about this new hobby of mine!

Gwen

Jan in CA
04-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Welcome! Glad to have new members join us!!

bbonner48
04-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi I am Beverly and live in Meredith NH. I am retired and my son is expecting their first child. I am trying to knit some things before the baby comes. I often need help with projects though and found this site great.

salmonmac
04-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi Beverly and welcome to KnittingHelp!
Congratulations on the baby to come. What a great reason to knit.

Joelobermyer
04-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbie at this I just started knitting two days ago. I found Amy's videos very helpful and starting off. How I got a into this you might be wondering? Well I started making puppets and I found myself going to Joannes and all those places and I thought the yarn looked really awesome, cool colors and textures and I seen some samples of knitting and thought I could do that maybe....... So I bought a starter kit from Walmart and started knitting. And yes as you can tell from my name I am a guy and so I feel kind of funny going into Joannes and whatnot and looking at yard. And my wife probably thinks I'm crazy, but I find it very cathartic and relaxing when I'm not doing the wrong thing on it at least. So needless to say I went back to the fabric store and bought some more wool yarn.I think it's pretty awesome texture and color and some more needles to fit that yard and now I'm doing something different , mainly just practicing my knit stitch and purl stitch . I hope eventually that I can at least make something that I can use like a hat or sweater but who knows. Anyways that's my story.

xToXicBeAutYx
04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Welcome! It's always nice to have more men join the knitting world. :)

stephendantzler
05-16-2014, 07:30 AM
hi new to here and have some queries about the knitting hope that they may get solve..

top online casino (http://iaf-ifa.org/untamed-giant-panda-video-slot-game/)

Lorraine3289
05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Welcome to a great site and yes you will get lots of help here - enjoy.

MeMe3
05-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone. Just wanted to say Hi! I am new to Knitting Help and to knitting. I just started a few months ago and have been learning with the help of this board and all the free postings out there. I have been trying to progress in my skills and started with a dishcloth, then a scarf, coaster, dog sweater, hat, socks and now I am working on a purse that I will try to felt. Thank you in advance for all of the wisdom and advice I know I will find here.

YarnGonnaKnit
07-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Very helpful, thank you very much, I'll be coming back to this sticky I'm sure many times! :heart:

hairdo
07-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Hiya
Im a total newbie to knitting
Teaching myself :-D

salmonmac
07-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Hi hairdo and welcome to KnittingHelp!
This is a great place for beginners with lots of helpful videos under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page. There's everything there from getting started to advanced techniques. Glad to have you join us.

KnittyBri
07-31-2014, 09:15 PM
This site is such a huge help to me!! Glad I found it now when I have so many new things to discover and learn!! :woot: :woot:

salmonmac
08-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Welcome KnittyBri! Good to have you join us at Knitting Help. We're all learning as we go. Hope to hear from you in the forum and see some of your knitting projects, too.

pinafrancioso
08-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Hello , my name is Pina ,I am a hand knitter,crochettr and a machine knitters, I will be back soon.
Thanks again.
Pina.

salmonmac
08-28-2014, 06:11 AM
Hi Pina. Welcome to KH!
Lovely to have another person with experience in all 3 crafts.

Mazza
08-31-2014, 01:50 AM
Hi all, just saying hello and thanks for having me!

salmonmac
08-31-2014, 05:48 AM
Happy you've joined us and welcome to the forum!

praveenraj
09-01-2014, 01:54 AM
Hi, I am Praveen Rajendra from India.

Jeremy
09-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Welcome Praveen!:hug:

FiberAndColor
09-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am Anne from the US and am a new knitter & crocheter. Looking forward to being exposed to so much experience from the users here.

Thank you for such a wonderful resource!

salmonmac
09-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Welcome to KnittingHelp and welcome to the wonders of knit and crochet, FiberandColor. We all enjoy one or the other or both. Good that you can join us.

praveenraj
09-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Welcome Praveen!:hug:

Thanks a lot :)

PBJKODIAK
09-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Hello ladies. I am a man looking to help his wife. She is now wearing 7x shirts and needs a warm coat for the winter. We have tried to find one in stores and online and all we can find is Making It Big in So. Ca. and that is getting expensive. Not finding what she needs there anyhow.
So first I thought I would just make one since I do know how to sew and use a machine, as I used to work on them. I made plans, but financially was not able to get a machine and ended up needing the money saved for it.
The other day I saw something, I don't remember what,(happens a lot since turning 60) that made me think about knitting, as I also know how to knit and cross stitch too. I looked up warm coats and found a pattern in Pickles that looked good, but my knowledge is rusty in just reading the pattern and I think I need some help. I feel like even though I knitted when I was younger my memory loss is causing me to look for a more beginners coat. All I know is she needs something soon and I am determined to make that happen. Anyone got any ideas? Sorry that was so long.

XtopherCB
09-29-2014, 12:36 AM
ahoy PBJK!

i did a quick search on ravelry.com (great site for knitters/crocheters, if you're not already using it). i looked for knitting patterns that are free, with photos, and have plus sized measurements/directions. results at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#photo=yes&craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&availability=free&fit=plus&sort=created&pc=coat%7Crobe%7Cshrug%7Csweater%7Cvest%7Cother-clothing (link will work if/when you're a ravelry member).

i included coats/jackets, robes, shrugs/boleros, sweaters and vests. it came up with almost 1,800 matches (37 scrollable pages). that's a lot to go through but would have some great ideas. one thing that stuck out very obviously - a lot of them are from DROPS design (http://www.garnstudio.com/), a european-based knitting design house with a lot of patterns, advice, etc. so that may be a good resource for you, and not just for the winter wear.

but since right now you're looking for specifically plus-size winter wear, you'll likely want to use heavy worsted/bulky/superbulky yarn. because these yarns are thicker, they cover more ground in terms of stitches needed, which speeds up the process. this may also cut down on the number of skeins you'll need, and will be warmer due to yarn thickness.

just a few thoughts, and i know others will have more... cheers, X :)

PBJKODIAK
09-29-2014, 02:00 AM
I am registered with ravelry, but the link does not work. The other one does though.

XtopherCB
09-29-2014, 04:22 AM
hmm, i tried it again, and the link does work for me, but maybe that's because that weblink was my search under my login? not sure..

anyway, ways to limit the search criteria:

availability: free
craft: knitting
has photo: yes
category: coat OR robe OR shrug OR sweater OR vest OR other clothing
gender/age/size/fit: plus

do those, and you'll get an extensive list of options.

hope that helps ;)

salmonmac
09-29-2014, 06:08 AM
Welcome to KnittingHelp!
X has given you some good leads to patterns. What about knitting a poncho? It would be simpler in construction and easier to adjust the size if needed?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&query=knit%20plus%20size%20poncho
This is such a resourceful and kind idea. If you need advise with the project, we'll all be glad to help.

GrumpyGramma
09-29-2014, 02:40 PM
PBJ, I agree that considering a poncho might be wise for the same reasons salmonmac gave. If you've not knit in a while it will give you a chance to refresh your skills and get used to reading a pattern before starting more a complicated project. A top-down raglan style that can be tried on as you work it might be the easiest style sweater/jacket to make your liking.

boxerluv
09-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I am new to knitting and new to a forum. I am super excited about both. My sister is having a baby in February and so I decided to teach myself to knit. A baby born in New York in February will need lots of knitted sweaters, pants, hats and blankets. I should get started! Thanks for having such a great place for new knitters.

blossomd
10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Hello fellow needle workers! I've been knitting and to a lesser degree crocheting for about 8 years. I did learn to knit when I was 9 but other than a snake toy made nothing for several decades. I like to knit small projects, especially baby items like booties, hats, and sweaters. I've done some crochet animals (which held up great as pet toys by the way). One Christmas I made hats for all the people receiving gifts that year. That was a good practice session! I got to practice different patterns and techniques and with different yarns but on a small scale! They were fun to make!

I knit with vintage patterns a lot for the baby items from books from my grandma and I like to pick them up in antiques places and at junk stores and at a second-hand crafts store near my home. I like the different sizes, the knitting patterns, and the vintage styles. Most of the time they are done on tiny needles and the fabrics some out so nice that they are worth the extra time.

I come from a family of people talented in the needle arts so I feel I carry on a family tradition. But I am glad to find this forum and really appreciate videos to show a technique or stitch that is hard to sort out via written directions. Plus sometimes, just a simple explanation from another makes the difference in completing a great project! I may not post often but when I do I'll really need the help.

-Blossom:muah:

salmonmac
10-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Hi boxerluv and Blossom and welcome to KH! Brand new to knitting and experienced, we're happy to have your questions and recommendations.
boxerluv, you're right about Feb in New York, lots of knitted items most welcome. Congrats to your sister and good luck with the knitting.
Blossom, I love to see the old patterns too and don't mind the tiny needles.
We'd love to see your finished projects too so if you'd like, post some photos in the forum.

JamieHavey
10-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I'm lately retired from my family business and picked up knitting as my new adventure! Great to find this site, and thank you for your effort to support this community!!

salmonmac
10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum and to the new adventure of knitting!

Charlotte85
10-15-2014, 06:43 AM
My name is Charlotte and I am from Leeds. I have recently taken up knitting with my friends and absolutely love it! Already finding this site really useful seeing everyones amazing work is giving me some serious inspiration. The only thing stopping me is the work schedule unfortunately haha

Anyway, I just thought that I would say hi and look forward to posting up some of my projects soon!

salmonmac
10-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Welcome Charlotte! How nice to start knitting with a group of friends. We're looking forward to seeing your projects too. Happy knitting.

ecutsinger
10-16-2014, 12:10 PM
What a great site! I will back often with new updates. Thanks for doing this, its about time. :o
I just registered. Where do you go to start a new post? Can't find it any place.

salmonmac
10-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Open the appropriate section of the forum, the one that seems to best fit your question (e.g. General Knitting for any knitting related questions; How To, for help with a problem or Pattern Central for help with a pattern or search). You'll see a large orange button on the upper left which will start a new thread for your question.

shopsylviashop
10-20-2014, 04:40 AM
Hi and welcome from Melbourne Australia. I have been knitting since I was 3(so my mother told me). I was born in 1950 so you know how old I am. I am looking for different ideas for item to knit, so I thought I would look into various sites. I noticed that several members have learnt to knit via you tube. My nephews girlfriend learnt to crochet that way. I didn't know to then that you can download the you tubes and use them at you leisure. bye

salmonmac
10-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Welcome to KnittingHelp! Wow, knitting since the age of 3 is impressive.Good luck with your search for something to knit. There are lots of patterns here and on Ravelry to choose from.

AlyssaRae
10-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Hello, I'm Alyssa from NY. I guess I need to post here to link to the pattern I'm having trouble with so you guys can maybe help me. I knit and crochet a lot and can pretty much make anything you give me a pattern for.

Jeremy
10-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Welcome,
Absolutely post here with your problem. The best section to post in would be pattern central.

Byrana
11-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi, I'm Byrana and just signed up today. Love to knit, crochet and do needlepoint. Hope to find lots of answers to my questions and new info on other projects.

GrumpyGramma
11-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Hi, I'm Byrana and just signed up today. Love to knit, crochet and do needlepoint. Hope to find lots of answers to my questions and new info on other projects.

:waving:

Yarnball
11-09-2014, 12:24 PM
As I am new to the forum, just wanted to say how much I look forward to learning from you all! I have only been knitting a short time but definitely have the bug....!

Sam :)

GrumpyGramma
11-09-2014, 02:02 PM
As I am new to the forum, just wanted to say how much I look forward to learning from you all! I have only been knitting a short time but definitely have the bug....!

Sam :)

:waving:

pgabriel
11-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi
I'm Pat and I live in Newton, NH. I am a beginner knitter and already this site answered an important question for me in regards to how to measure the armhole (along the edge or from the shoulder) It makes a big difference in size and thank goodness it's from the shoulder! Thanks so much!!

salmonmac
11-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Welcome Mayase and pgabriel!
Glad to have you join us and happy that you could find help already, pga.

mw95
11-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Hello everybody. Im Martin, 19, and this is my day 2 of knitting! Based in the Uk. Would like to learn how to knit and make hats, scarfs and all sorts!

AKARonnieTorres
11-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone! I've actually posted in these forums a time or two, but it's been a while, and I don't think I've ever introduced myself.

My name is Veronica. I've been a knitter for about 5 years now. Since teaching myself to knit, I've taught friends, I've opened my Etsy shop, and have began designing my own patterns.

I'm always thankful for the wonderful help that can be found on this site!

Jan in CA
11-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Welcome Martin and Ronnie! :yay:

judithfgraham
11-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Hello,

I am new here on this website and just wanted to say thanks to include me. This is really a nice website.

Looking forward to sharing own opinion.

Thanks in Advance

GoGo2299
12-01-2014, 06:07 AM
What a fantastic site. I can't believe I've never seen it before
:cheering: :cheering: :heart: :heart:

keepssayingusernametaken
12-04-2014, 03:15 AM
I am a new knitter. I have never taken a class, just watched some YouTube videos the day after Thanksgiving. I am glad to have found this forum. Hello to all:hug:

salmonmac
12-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Welcome Judith, GoGo and keeps! We're glad you've joined the forum and look forward to hearing from you.

appyfaerie
12-05-2014, 11:11 PM
First, let me say thanks for some help I got here today. I wandered in thru Google, found an answer to a question I had and went on to put said answer into practice. I was so relieved that I decided to go ahead and register here - so I did.

My name is April and I've been knitting for less than a month. So far, I haven't begun any actual project. Rather, I am just keeping a practice swatch going. I'm also learning to spin and embroider. I have a hobby blog which covers all of these, plus baking. If anyone is interested in stopping by, it's linked in my signature.

jjbing3
12-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Hello all. My name is Bing and I've been knitting about... A week. I crochet and loom knit so I decided to learn to knit. I've taken a class for knitting in the round, but I mostly learned from YouTube. I'm in GA and look forward to learning a lot more from you all. :woot:

salmonmac
12-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Welcome to KH appy and bing, and welcome to knitting!
I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us do. Please feel free to ask about your knitting and to show us photos, finished projects or in-progress. We love to see them all.

SammyC
12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm new and literally just started to learn to knit. This site is great!

cyberchick92
12-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
Hi everyone!
My name is Malissa, aka cyberchick92. I'm 22 years old and I'm from Oklahoma. I work full time as a pharmacy technician and am hoping to go back to school to become a full fledged pharmacist. I love to
knit and crochet, as well as to work on other crafts.
I can't wait to meet new people and to learn new things! :)

salmonmac
12-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Welcome Sammy! Always fun to have new knitters join us. Welcome Melissa, too. Hope you both enjoy the forum, ask questions and answer questions as well. Good to have you both join us.

cyberchick92
12-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Welcome Sammy! Always fun to have new knitters join us. Welcome Melissa, too. Hope you both enjoy the forum, ask questions and answer questions as well. Good to have you both join us.
Thank you for the warm welcome! :)