PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Jeep_Girl
11-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Welcome everyone! I'm new too & the site has been wonderful and addicting ! :cheering:

amy
11-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Welcome everyone! :waving:

EEK, I think I just deleted a post accidentally! Jeanette, sorry about that! I tried to make a new thread out of your k2p2 ribbing/ kitchener stitch post, and it looks like I botched it! :blush: I also deleted Ingrid's welcoming reply! :doh:

Well, WELCOME Jeanette. Glad to have you on the forum! (and I'll go off to answer your question, which I see is now on the Q&A forum). ;)

dbranting
11-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Hello all,
I am new-- I am a real newbie to knitting. I started 4 days ago. I acutally found this site the first night I tried learning how to knit. I bought the kit at the hobby store" I taught myself to knit" and found that the book was not explaining how to do things so I could understand it. So I did a simple search for how-to-video and this site popped up! I really want to express my thanks for the videos here, without those videos, I do not think I would ever have figured out how to even get started! Thanks so much for taking the time to do those how-to-videos.
I am 34, a single mother of 3, ages 17,13,and 12. I will be a grandmother in March and really wanted to make a knitted baby afghan. I crochet but really have always wanted to learn how to knit.
I am doing ok with casting on, but my knitting is not so great. It is not even and often looks like I have dropped a stitch or something. I have not got to doing the P stitch yet, still trying to get the knit stitch down.
I look forward to getting to know you all. Have a great day.
Dawn :thumbsup:

punkhippiemom
11-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Congrats, Grandma!
I used the I Taught Myself To Knit book - is this the same one you have? It was okay :rollseyes:, but this site has helped more than anything else! and I haven't even seen the videos yet!!:shifty:
Welcome aboard, Dawn (and all the others I've missed :oops: my emails weren't coming through on this thread, for some reason..)

Ajslady70
11-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Hello!
Just started learning to knit a few weeks ago and am starting Yorick (skull scarf) for my fiance for Christmas. I've frogged it twice. LOL I had trouble with p2tog tbl but now I think I may have it. LOL Maybe. hehe
Good to find a spot for fellow knitters. I think I'm becoming addicted already. :XX:

croknitme
11-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Hello from another newbie! I started knitting over 11 years ago but stopped a few years back and picked up crocheting. I am now going back to knitting as I really enjoyed doing it and I miss it. :crying: Plus being a SAHM of 3 little ones (5, 2 and 6 mos) it helps keep me sane when I am at wits end. :lol:

Ingrid
11-11-2005, 11:10 AM
:waving: So many new people it's hard to keep up! Hello everyone and welcome!

punkhippiemom
11-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Just started learning to knit a few weeks ago and am starting Yorick (skull scarf) for my fiance for Christmas.
:shock: You're brave! That's a pretty neat first project! Plus being a SAHM of 3 little ones (5, 2 and 6 mos) it helps keep me sane when I am at wits end.;) Yep... I stay at home with my 5 and 3yo boys, and I think I would have gone more crazy than I already am if not for my knitting... and this place, of course!

Welcome aboard !! :waving:

Angelia
11-11-2005, 08:09 PM
:waving:

Welcome, welcome!

boyforpele13
11-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Sean and I have been knitting now for just about a year, thanks LARGELY in part to Amy! I wouldn't be knitting today if it wasn't for this phenomenal site! I don't know how I've missed the message boards for as often as I visit, but here I am now and I'm excited to be a part of it!

Looking forward to chatting and knitting with everyone! Take care! :D

Ingrid
11-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi Sean, welcome! It's a fine place to hang out! ;)

Angelia
11-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Welcome Sean!

(Love the sig line from Ferrucci!)

punkhippiemom
11-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Hiya Sean... Good to have another guy on the board - :?? Now where did those other guys go.....

PS...
GO BUCS!!!
although by your sn, I assume you're more into futbol than football...

KellyK
11-14-2005, 08:13 AM
WELCOME WELCOME, Ajs & Sean!! :waving:

dragonjewel
11-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Hello all! I'm also new *very* new to knitting, and I love that it's become so popular, so there's plenty of people to chat about it with! (and help when I mess up horribly on something).
I inherited all of my grandmother's knitting supplies when she passed, and after having it stare at me through the closet walls for about two years, I decided that the thing she would have liked the most is if I actually did something with it. And it turns out that I *love* knitting! I'm still working on basic scarves, and I'm now practicing on the kp thing, but my goal is to make all my christmas gifts this year. And best of all, I have a little boogerbear (3 mos) running around (okay, drooling) which gives me plently of opportunity to knit little tiny hats.
So anyway, I'm so glad this site exists, and it's great to meet you all!

Angelia
11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Welcome, Dragonjewel!

Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have inherited knitting supplies?!

And yes, make your beloved Granny proud by using all of her wonderful goodies! Good luck to you, and again,

Welcome!

And please post pics of your scarves and tiny boogerbear hats :D

Ingrid
11-15-2005, 12:06 AM
:waving: Welcome!

sphynx
11-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Just popping in to introduce myself before I inevitably ask questions. This is my first week knitting.

Cheers to all the guys who knit because I know how embarrassing it is to be in the needle and yarn aisle at the store with all the guys looking at me funny, and all the ladies wondering if I'm lost.

Not to start any flames or anything but personally, I think men have it tough if they like to knit.

I'll attach my first two projects. The small peice was just to try to knit a row, purl a row and then bind off.

The scarf is my first project for my girlfriend. Hopefully she'll like it, mistakes and all because there are several already.

Forgive the fuzzy pictures, they are from my camera phone.

Well I think that's it for the intro. Nice to meet all of you!

Jan in CA
11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Welcome to all the newbies! I'm fairly new, too.

Sphynx... I imagine it is pretty hard to be a guy and knit. I applaud you doing it anyway! I like the scarf you are making for your girlfriend and that title on the first one cracked me up! Bug blanket! :roflhard: I've got a lot of those myself!

humblestumble
11-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Welcome everybody! I haven't ever been to this thread before, so I welcome you all! :cheering:

dustinac
11-16-2005, 04:19 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!

Ingrid
11-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Welcome everyone--all genders!

We now have over 2000 members!!!! :happydance:

punkhippiemom
11-16-2005, 05:18 PM
2000 MEMBERS!!!

:cheering: :balloons: :happydance:
:balloons: :happydance: :cheering:

Welcome, Sphinx... I like your avatar!
We are very supportive of 'our' men here ;)
And maybe just a teeny bit jealous of their SO's!!:shifty:

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Wow, 2000!! That's amazing -- and in only a year!!

I welcome one and all and am glad to find so many wonderful people signing up here.

I just wanted to mention to Sphynx: We are a flameless community. So, don't you worry 'bout expressing your self. ;-) Seriously, I don't believe I've ever witnessed a fight breaking out here; everyone is very polite and considerate. AND we *love* it when guys knit!!!

purlgrrl
11-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi! I'm new here and fairly new to knitting.

I'm Lauren, just turning 32 next week (ack!). I'm mom to two great kids and a burgeoning writer. (I've written and published off and on over the past twelve years - okay I have written since I could hold a pencil, journals and stories etc., but am finally Getting Serious.) I need diversions from writing my young adult novel. ;)

I have been a seamstress for ten years and ran a business making children's cloth diaper covers for five years before selling it. My grandmother used to crochet and I learned that from her and have made a few small things like a little purse that is now a Palm Pilot cozy, that kind of thing.

I just learned to knit last month and :heart: it. So far I have made 2 fairly simple hats and two scarves. I only wish I had more TIME to knit! My favorite is to listen to books on my iPod while I knit. I feel like I have a good grasp of the basics and am starting on a sweater for my daughter in KnitPicks Merino Style.

Angelia
11-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Welcome, Lauren! :waving:

You've knit quite a lot considering how long you've been knitting; I'm not sure what you mean about needing more time!

(Actually, that's not entirely true...24/7 would, I suppose, suffice for my knitting needs ;))

dustinac
11-18-2005, 09:30 AM
:thinking: hmm my post didn't go through

:cheering: Welcome Lauren

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Welcome, Lauren! You are a woman after my own heart. I've always said I'd like to write a book, but quite frankly, I don't even know where to start.

BTW, I have two book-addicted children here who would love to pre-read anything you might have for them. ;-)

Glad you found us, and I look forward to hearing more from you!

newbieknit
11-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Hello everyone! I just signed up for this forum today. There's a whole lot of good info here!
I was disabled in early 2004 which commensed my search for something I could do while sitting stationary and only using my hands... since I had no desire to crochet I decided to teach myself to knit. I purchased the Stitch'n Bitch book and started to teach myself. I made scarves for everyone who asked, which ended up being 7 scarves in a few weeks (it's rather easy to get scarves finished quickly when you haven't anything else to do). I wasn't able to easily understand all the crazy stuff that comes with knitting so I knit those scarves and hung up my sticks.
Then, last month my husband ordered a bunch of knitting books for me... Vogue Knitting Reference, Vogue KNitting huge book, Knitting over the edge, Knitting on the Edge, Embelishments, Now You're Knitting, a book of patterns, and Puppy Knits AND a set of Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles. Which, of course, put me back in the knitting fast lane. Since I decided to knit again in the 'cold months' I am back to making a few scarves 5 in the last few weeks, 2 doggie sweaters, a set of armwarmers, a Tam and a Poncho which is lovely, but I knit a bit bigger gauge than I was supposed to, so my Poncho could now fit someone 3 times my size. It looks like an impressive list of knitted goods... but in all honesty it really wasn't that much stuff. I must admit that gauge and I don't always get along and that has pushed me head first into knitting my own designs.
You will all be seeing me around these forums from time to time. Take care everyone!

Angelia
11-19-2005, 08:17 AM
:waving: :waving:

Welcome!

Wow, what a fantastic husband for getting you all those goodies! Think he could talk to mine?? :D

Gauge is a beast, and it doesn't get along with anyone. In fact, some here ignore it altogether. But, it is a beast that WILL NOT BE IGNORED! :shock: (Re: your poncho)

How fantastic that you're doing your own designs! Please share them! And, if you haven't already, please watch Amy's videos. They are fantastic, and they'll definitely help you with "the crazy stuff." The videos and a good dose of patience with yourself are all you need ;)

Oh, and please post pics of your stuff!

KellyK
11-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Fellow KHers, I think we have before us....Rebecca's twin-separated-at-birth! Prolific knitter with WONDERFUL pro-knitting hubby!!

Nicetameetcha, Newbie!

Ingrid
11-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Welcome Newbie!!

dustinac
11-19-2005, 11:49 AM
:waving: Welcome Newbie!!! :happydance:

knitfreak38
11-19-2005, 06:22 PM
HI I have been lurking for about a month. Mother of two girls-2 and 5.
Knitter since I was 10 years old. Grandma taught me.

DH and I are going to spend Thanksgiving with his college roommate and
wife in Richmond Hill Georgia. Are there any must see yarn stores in the
area.

Thanks

Colleen

Sammi
11-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi ! My name is Sammi and I have been using Knittinghelp.com for several months now to teach myself how to knit. So far, so good. Thanks so much for the site, without it I would be totally lost! I have taught myself how to cable thanks to this site, and using the patterns for beginners. One of the first things I made was the baby poncho. I am from WV, so I knitted it in gold and then crocheted a navy blue trim on to it. It turned out great. Sorry, I can't send pictures of it. Next, I made the cabled Coronet hat and am now working on another one. I absolutely love this site. I also like the way we can sign in a members. It makes it more personal and makes me feel part of somethig great. Thanks again!

Ingrid
11-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Welcome to all! It is a great site!

Don't know about yarn shops in Georgia, though. I'm sure someone here can help!

:waving: :waving:

punkhippiemom
11-20-2005, 02:40 PM
I must admit that gauge and I don't always get along and that has pushed me head first into knitting my own designs.

LOL Me too!! I had to figure out how to make what I wanted with what I had, and none of the patterns I liked matched my materials :rollseyes: so I just started making my own stuff up....
It's great to have you here, and :inlove: be glad you have that enabling DH of yours!!! :rofling:

KellyK
11-21-2005, 09:04 AM
:waving: WELCOME, Colleen and Sammi!!

Angelia
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Welcome Colleen and Sammi! :waving:

We're so glad you've both emerged from lurkerdom!

:cheering: :cheering:

dustinac
11-21-2005, 09:50 AM
:balloons: :cheering: :happydance: Welcome everyone!!! :happydance:

Sammi
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I just started the Irish Hiking Scarf last night. I love cables. They make everything so pretty and neat looking whether for a guy or a gal. I do have a question though....how do you psso? It's not for the scarf, but this stitch is on alot of patterns that I would like to try. :XX: [/b]

Sara
11-22-2005, 03:55 PM
psso=pass slipped stitch over

SO-->
1. slip a stitch onto your right hand needle
2. work the next stitch as directed (knit or purl or whatever)
3. now the worked stitch is on the right hand needle too
4. put the tip of the LEFT hand needle into the front of the SLIPPED stitch, pick it up and bring it to the left over the worked stitch and tip of the RIGHT needle
5. drop the slipped stitch OFF

It is REALLY easy to do! :thumbsup:

CarmenIbanez
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone, just found the site this week. I absolutely love it! I am a teacher, a mom to one boy and two chihuahuas. Actually, it was my chihuahua that got me into knitting. Almost three years ago my first chihuahua was born. It was going to be about 8 weeks until she came home, so I was absolutely jonesing for something to do. Knowing how the bald little bellies of chihuahuas get cold, I decided to teach myself to knit and make her a sweater. Well I did. And it hasn't stopped yet. I sold almost 100 sweaters since then at a little gift shop near town. I've branched off since then, I have made hats, bags, socks, scarves, ponchos. I absolutely LOVE to make things for people. I just can't seem to make anything for myself!

Anyway, I just love the site. Finally people who understand me!

Carmen

Angelia
11-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Welcome, Carmen!! :waving:

Gee, you've been busy knitting!! You've SOLD almost 100 sweaters? Wow!! :cheering:

Please post some pics of your handiwork!

(And to think it all started just to warm the belly of a doggie! :D)

CarmenIbanez
11-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Okay. When I get home, I'll take some pics. :-)

punkhippiemom
11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
LOL We've got a couple of chihuahua lovers on here, I'm sure they'd looove to trade patterns with you :mrgreen: Me, I'm just happy to see someone actually making money with their knitting!!! Way to go, that's awesome! I now have a dream... I want to knit for a living ;)
Welcome aboard, Carmen!

DotMom61
11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Welcome to all the new people I haven't had the opportunity to greet yet! So glad you found us! It looks like a couple of you are from the East ... I think you might be getting a big enough contingent there to have a gathering at some point! :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
11-23-2005, 03:29 PM
I said I sold sweaters, I never said I made much money! :-) Anyway, here is one of the first sweaters I sold. It is "Burberry" inspired! And this is my little Astrid...

http://www.astridpullis.com/london2.jpg

Angelia
11-23-2005, 03:51 PM
I said I sold sweaters, I never said I made much money! :-) Anyway, here is one of the first sweaters I sold. It is "Burberry" inspired! And this is my little Astrid...

http://www.astridpullis.com/london2.jpg

:inlove: :inlove:

Oh that Astrid is a cutie pie!!

And what a beautiful sweater! You did a fantastic job making the sweater Burberry-esque! I'd like a human version of that...do you have a pattern for such a thing?! :D

CarmenIbanez
11-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I could see if I kept it anywhere. I wasn't keen on trying again on plaid after that! I'll let you know.

jsauer
11-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Amy,
Thank you for this additional site - I'm also a member at Knitty.com and that is how I found you - your videos are EXACTLY what a visual/doer learner like me needs. You're a great teacher.
I see you're enjoying The Time Traveler's Wife. AWESOME book. I won't spoil it for you - but it will absolutely leave you breathless! It did me and all my friends.

Question to anyone who can help, my guage on a project is all messed up. I'm embarrassed because it is such a super easy pattern - just a long piece of garter stitch then sides seamed together to make a poncho that hangs asymetrically. Guage should be 12 sts and 14 rows = 4" on size 11- entire piece should be 54". I swatched and was a little under so I went up to a size 13. The pattern calls for 5 balls of yarn - I'm through 2 now but the piece so far only measures 18.5". My knitting is not tight. Will blocking be able to make up for the difference??? (yarn is 53% wool, 47% acrylic - Berroco Foliage). I didn't block the swatch - should I have? Should I pull everything out and start over on larger needles? HEEEELLLLPPPP! I'm making 4 of these blasted (I mean wonderful) things for gifts for relatives - they were supposed to be easy HAHAHAHAHA.

Edit - OK, I'm an idiot - I just noticed this board has been up a while. Amy, I guess you're done with that book, huh? :oops:

Indygirl
11-24-2005, 02:18 PM
:cheering: Thank you, Thank you.I just checked the video center out. What a big help you are. I will be using it a lot until I get the hang of some problems I have been having.
I just finished a two color hat for my G.D. I wish I had looked at the video first, but that's alright this gives me a reason to make another :happydance:
I love this knitting site.
:XX: Grams

punkhippiemom
11-25-2005, 11:41 AM
:waving: Hi to the new folks!!!

jsauer - the signature lines update whenever they're changed on the profile page - Chances are good Amy's still reading it ;)
Unfortunately, I can't help you much with your gauge question, since I am highly allergic to swatching :oops: but I have made a few ponchos, and they really don't have to be spot-on as far as gauge is concerned, because they are basically a one-size garment. If you're not knitting tightly on the 13's, just stick with them and try to adjust the length when you block. Good luck!!
I just finished a two color hat for my G.D. I wish I had looked at the video first, but that's alright this gives me a reason to make another I love this knitting site.
Indygirl - you're just our kind of Grams!! :roflhard: :thumbsup: Welcome!!

Angelia
11-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Welcome! :waving:

I know next to nothing knitwise (or purlwise), but I welcome you all just the same!

dustinac
11-25-2005, 02:08 PM

countingsheep
11-27-2005, 12:33 PM
OK, as usual, I've just jumped right into the thick of things! Let me do this right!

Hello everyone, my name is Angela! I have been knitting for about 4 years now. Back on September 11, 2001, I did what everyone else did - watched the TV in shock and horror. My hubbie was out of town so it was just me with the kids and the dog. As I watched the footage for the gazillionth time, it hit me: the world may be crashing down around my ears but I'm going to do something that I've always wanted to do, learn to knit!

I packed the kids in the car and headed to Wal-Mart. I bought yarn and needles and came straight home to the computer. After ordering the kids a pizza and putting in a movie for them, I got to work! I probably sat up all night reading and re-reading the "how to" on the computer but I finally GOT it! Knitting kept me sane and away from the TV while my DH was gone. By the time he got home, I was well on my way to making a scarf. It turned out to be the ugliest and scratchiest scarf in the world and no one would wear it! I still have it and smile when I look at it.

I wish, so badly, that I could have "talked" to you guys when I first started. Everything that I've ever done or learned, I did the hard way. I have come a long way since 2001! Right now I am in the middle of Christmas knitting. I started WAY early so I might just finish. My next big and new project will be from a fantastic book that my DH bought for me. He found a book called "Viking Patterns for Kintting" by Elsebeth Lavold and it is amazing! Cable patterns unlike anything I've ever seen or tried and I can't wait!

On a personal note... I am knocking on the door to 40 (yikes, :shock: how did that happen?) and am married to a wonderful guy from South Africa. We have 2 kids (Connor, 14 and Savannah, 12-going-on-25!) 2 motorcycles (LOVE my Hog!) and a very fat and lazy hunting dog who is gun-shy! (The only thing that she "hunts" is a comfortable place to sleep!) We live just north of Atlanta in a round house. I knit to stay sane so... I knit a lot! I am a yarn HO and proud of it! And... well, that's about it!

I have posted my most embarrassing story on the "What'cha Knitting?" section just for your amusement and education! This picture is of my "pride and joy" knitting project. I made a cable pattern throw for my DH using double strands of Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton (he loves cotton!) with 8 different cable patterns. I made it in blocks and then stitched it all together. Whenever I get bored or am between projects, I knit another block or two and then will add them on when I get enough! It's gotten fairly large and is VERY warm! On the plus side, this was fairly inexpensive to make considering the size and all! I bought the big spools of kitchen cotton at $10 each and have used 4 so far! Not bad!!!

Everyone here has been SO wonderful and I am thrilled to have found you all! I feel like I have finally found people who understand me! I'm not the only one who has more yarn that I'll ever use! I'm not the only one who runs around with a knitting bag year round! I'm not the only one!! :happydance: Yeah!

Happy knitting, Angela :waving:

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 12:49 PM
You HAVE come to the right place!! The afghan looks lovely. I have that book you mentioned and those patterns are on my to-do list, too. I might add that I have a to-do list that will last me into the next century at least, and things are always moving up in line. :rollseyes:

I'm a self-taught knitter, too, and I think it's helped me to understand what I'm doing in the long run.

This site just celebrated it's first anniversary, so no matter how hard you looked four years ago, you wouldn't have found Amy! So come on in and sit a while. ;)

countingsheep
11-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Ingrid, I knew I liked you!!! Promise that you'll share if you try anything from the book and I'll do the same!

Seriously, anyone looking for some very different and challenging patterns... give "Viking Patterns for Knitting" a try!

Ang

Carol_OH
11-27-2005, 01:06 PM
good to meet a fellow Lavold lover!!!! I have most of her books, and some of her yarn, though I'm terrified to try to knit something of hers!

:blush:

your knitting is amazing and lovely and and and :drooling:

countingsheep
11-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes, there is a serious intimidation factor involved here! I read in her book that she has spent 15+ years collecting and studying patterns! :shock: Hmm... maybe I'm a bit out of my league? Maybe I'll start with a hat!!!

Gosh, there are just the coolest people in the world here! Now, anyone who tries one of the patterns had better post some pictures PRONTO!!! I'm dying to know how it goes!

Angelia
11-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Oh Angela, that is just :inlove: beautiful!! :inlove: It looks soooo cozy!

And welcome (again!) :D

:cheering:

chanters
11-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi all :waving:

I'm Chanters, I'm 20 years old and I'm a yarnoholic in the making. In the making mostly because I'm just a poor student living mostly off a wonderful mommy who still won't let me buy as much yarn as I'd like to... :(

Same wonderful mommy who taught me the very basics of knitting. Now, I have to learn on my own because mom's too tired to knit. I loved this website, those videos are such a huge help! And the forum's look real nice too with friendly people willing to give advice. Sure...I don't understand half what all these people are saying :lol:

Angelia
11-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Hello, and welcome! :waving:

I'm Chanters, I'm 20 years old and I'm a yarnoholic in the making.
In the making mostly because I'm just a poor student living mostly off a wonderful mommy who still won't let me buy as much yarn as I'd like to... :(

If you're jonesing, then you're already a yarnaholic. We all have forces preventing us from buying as much yarn as we crave...we understand your pain!

And the forum's look real nice too with friendly people willing to give advice. Sure...I don't understand half what all these people are saying :lol:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

You're not alone :D

Jenelle
11-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi all! I'm new here and I thought I would tell everyone about myself. =)

My name is Jenelle, and I'm 13 years old. I have been crocheting since I was 11 years old, and knitting for just a few months now. I honestly adore this site, considering that I learned how to properly cast on and bind off. I can't help but sit for hours making a project, and feeling satisfied about it. I am currently making a scarf for my aunt for christmas using the elongated stitch(I learned how to do the elongated stitch on this site). I must say it WAS a challenge at first, but now I got the hang of it. Also at the moment, I am working on making a pair of slippers. They are being crocheted using a single stitch. Another fact about me, I have oodles of yarn. My mom has no idea what I should do with it all(I have it all stuffed in my dresser... and balls of yarn scattered through out my room).

I honestly have to say that this has been one of the most helpful sites yet! :D

Angelia
11-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Welcome, Jenelle! :waving:

KellyK
11-29-2005, 08:18 AM
You are WAY ahead of the game, Jenelle......13 years old and already you have an impressive stash! :roflhard: WELCOME!

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Better balls of yarn scattered around the room than dirty clothes, like my kids' had when they were teenagers!

red
11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Hello,

Firstly, thank you to Amy for the knitting videos, they are great! I used to knit when I was young, making extremly long scarfs for my teddies and that was about it! Now at 26 I have made a scarf, this time for me and with nice Rowan wool! I already have 2 orders for Xmas pressies! I am now starting a hat. I know it is very basic but when you dont know how to knit, all the picture and descriptions on websites dont make any sense! Once I had watched the video for increaseing I had it straight away!

I look forward to posting a picture when I have finished and chatting to you all :)

Red

Jenelle
11-29-2005, 01:26 PM
You are WAY ahead of the game, Jenelle......13 years old and already you have an impressive stash! :roflhard: WELCOME!

Yeah.... I started collecting in the spring of '04. It branched out from just two skiens of yarn to about 80 or more.

I really should learn how to make hats because I have alot of hunters orange!!

Better balls of yarn scattered around the room than dirty clothes, like my kids' had when they were teenagers!

Oh believe me, there is clothing on my floor that needs to be picked up and put in the laundry. My room is a mess though :rofling:

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Jenelle--you'll find after a while that a lot of yarn you 'had to have' will become 'why-did-I-get-that' yarn.

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Hello, there, Red! Kind of slipped in! :D :waving:

peepers_cap
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi,
My name is Courtney, I am 23 and have recently discovered how difficult it is to knit when you have a two year old. Although, at the same time she is the inspiration for some of my cutest projects. I just recently had a second littles girl so a majority of my knitting takes place on my lunch break. Well I look forward to getting to know you all.

Indygirl
11-29-2005, 09:02 PM
:thumbsup: You've come to the right place. Everyone here is so nice and helpful. Also very funny too.
Welcome to the group :waving:

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 09:03 PM
:waving: Hi! and welcome! I'm sure you know it's pretty hard to do anything with a 2 year old around! They are sure fun to knit for, though.

Angelia
11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Welcome, Courtney! :waving:

allegra918
11-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi, I'm Allegra. I live outside of Denver and I'm a violinst with the Colorado Symphony. My dad taught me how to knit the summer before i got married (two years ago tomorrow), and I made scarves from Eros for all the women who were involved for my wedding. I have been seriously addicted to knitting ever since. :XX:

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Welcome Allegra! Guess you've got a thing about playing with strings, huh! :D

Jan in CA
11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Welcome Allegra, Courtney, Red and Jenelle! :waving:

Angelia
11-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Welcome, Allegra! :waving:

Vendie
11-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Welcome to everyone just joining KH!! :waving:

Happy anniversary Allegra!

jsauer
11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Allegra! Welcome to the site. I'm a knitting violinist too! You're in the Colorado Symphony? cool. I work at FHSU in Hays, KS and the chair of our music department and concertmaster of our symphony is Matt Means, who I understand also plays with the Colorado Symphony. Small world!
:D

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :heart:

allegra918
11-30-2005, 11:02 AM
jsauer

yes i know matt means, he has subbed with us a few times and we did a festival together.tell him i said hi!

candicane
11-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi! I am Candice and new to knitting. I plan on taking a class at my LYS, but for now have just been teaching myself from Stitch n'Bitch and this excellent website. The videos are great! This is my first hat project. Of course, my DD makes everything look good.

Candice

Angelia
11-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Welcome Candice! :waving:

That hat looks great, and oh, the DD is sooo adorable! :inlove: I want to pinch her chubby cheekses!!

dustinac
11-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Your dd is sooo cute!!!

newbieknit
11-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Welcome everyone!

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 04:49 PM
What a cutie! Adorable hat, too!

sfavereau
11-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a "return" knitter... My mom taught me to knit when I was little kid, but I was never any good. I picked it up again a few months ago and am totally enjoying it!

I found this website when looking for basic knitting instructions and have been coming here ever since. I decided to stop lurking and join in the fun!

I've been knitting quite a bit the last couple of months. I quit job because my husband and I moving from southern CA to Colorado Springs, and I'm loving all the extra knitting time! I'm also an AVID quilter.

This seems like such an awesome place to hang out! I've learned that I probably should really stay away from Joann, Michaels and Hobby Lobby, and get on down to my LYS! I didn't really want to spend a fortune on yarn when I didn't know if I was going to enjoy it, but now that I know I do, I think my LYS will be seeing me soon!

Look forward to chatting with you all!
Stephanie

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Welcome Stephanie! Come on it! :waving:

NesanelRose
11-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Yay! Introduction...hoooooooo!

HI! My name is Alison, I'm 22 years old and I guess I've moved onto Novice knitter...but not quite. :thinking:

I'm pretty well traveled(not in the naughty way! :lol: ) as I was born and raised in Rhode Island, graduated high school in Texas, attended a bit of college in San Fransisco, and now residing with my boyfriend(We met on the 'net about 8 years ago..thus why he's so far from everywhere else I've lived ;) ) in Alabama. I've always been someone who likes to work with their hands. I draw, make jewelry, sew, knit, etc..
I've been knitting for about two years now. I learned how to crochet when I was around 8 and never forgot...but I really wanted to extend my yarn knowledge, so after seeing a co-worker of mine reading out of Stitch n' Bitch, I set it upon myself to learn how to knit(I still can't find that book...arg). So I did some searching on the net on basic knitting knowledge and started knitting.
I took a year break, until I moved down here to Alabama and started up again.
Up until a week ago I've only been able to do a knit stitch. I've a bit of a lack of money, so I thought it'd be good to knit family their Christmas Presents (I did necklaces and jewelry last year), and decided I needed to finally learn how to purl and do other things. So on my searches, I found this site, through Knitty.com, I think...
I was so happy! Finally, it was a site where I could SEE if I was doing things right or not, instead of trying to interperate pictures.

So far I've been practicing with stockinette stitch finally, and learning as I go. My 5 year old niece's scarf and hat(done on circular needles for the first time!) are done, and I'm moving on working on something for my Grandmother using Yarn Barn's Frosting yarn(So fluffy!), since she needs something warm to wear for her head, as she's unfortunately lost her hair due to chemo (She has a rare form of Leukemia). She just seemed so happy to hear that I was knitting, so I'm glad I can do something while being so far away(she's still in Rhode Island).

I'm also a scarf fiend myself! I LOVE fashion scarves, and warm scarves I can wear during the winter. I look forward to cooler weather because it means I can finally wear them again!

I'm a freelance illustrator, hoping to publish my own comic one of these days. I love anything fantasy and angelic(I'm a HUGE Angel lover...in fact, going for my first tattoo soon and going to have the word "Inspire" scribed in angelic script somewhere. :D). I love 80% Venizualian dark chocolate and pomogranite juice, Kraft mac and Cheese(BLUE BOX ALL THE WAY!), lobster, purple, teal and black to a lesser extent, playing a video game called Dance Dance Revolution, and a cartoon called Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
My favorite books are the Harry Potter series, Eragon, and The Amulet of Samarkand. My favorite movies are Pirates of the Carribean, Ghostbusters, Willow, Legend, Labyrinth, Dogma, and Finding Nemo. I love listening to Nightwish, Evanescence, and alot of classical soundtracks and Japanese music.

Uhm...and I think I've pretty much covered everything I possibly can cover. :happydance:

Thanks for this site, Amy! It really is a godsend!

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Welcome Alison! I peeked at your website. Are those your drawings? Awesome.

You should come over sometimes. We can knit and you can watch tv and movies with my grandkids!--We tease a lot here, so I thought I'd get you started on the right foot! :roflhard:

NesanelRose
11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Thank you! I draw way too much, and right now my sketchbook has been yelling at me because all my knitting needles have been getting all the attention! I'm going to have an art war waging in my room. :D

:lol: It's alright. I get it enough with my parents and boyfriend wondering why I spend most of my time watching cartoons. At least I know that if I ever have to watch my niece and nephew, i'll be able to enjoy the programs as much as they do! :lol:

mcgonagall
11-30-2005, 09:41 PM
I cannot believe that after all my struggling, I have found this site. I have been looking for how-to videos forever, and assumed I had to buy something expensive. I'm an ďntermediate level knitter who's been stuck in the same place for a long time, having little opportunity to learn something new from anyone. So here it is! Glad to be here.

jsauer
11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Great to have you, Alison! You sound very accomplished and REALLY interesting. I'm knitting lots of gifts for relatives, too. I'll let you know how mine are going if you'll keep me up-to-date on yours. Hey! Maybe we should start a KnittingHelp Christmas Gift Knit-Along! any takers? :D

NesanelRose
11-30-2005, 11:41 PM
I'll second that Christmas Gift Knit-Along! XD

I'll definately keep you, and everyone else, up to date on my progress :D
We Christmas knitters gotta stick together, or else we'll go insane. I know I've been borderline :lol:

greeky girl
11-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi, all. First want to say what a great site this is! Just tons of info. I came across you while looking for a pattern for a hat, I think. Right now I am crocheting a capelet for my mom, just finished knititng a hat for my daughter and am also sewing a rag quilt for my daughter's room. I am about halfway through with that. Probably will finish on Friday. Next I will be sewing some i-pod mini holders for gifts for my sisters-in-law.

Anyway, my name is Kerry. I am 45, married almost 15 years (Dec. 8th) to Bill. We have a daughter, Jaclyn, 6. Bill has a son from his first marriage, Billy (24). We live in suburban NY, where we both grew up. In another life time, I lived in Greece. I used to be very involved in Greek culture/food/country/people, hence the screen name.

I am a SAHM and now that my daughter is in school full time, I have a lot of time to work on projects. But, you know, no matter how much time I have, I really never have enough time to finish all the things I want to do or see all the things I want to see.

I am sure I will get lots (and hopefully be able to give, too) from this great site!

Greeky

Mer
11-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Welcome, everyone!

jsauer & allegra918, I'm a knitting violist. I think there's lots of musical folks on here! I gave up my dream of playing with a real orchestra a while ago though. :(

Ingrid
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Greeky girl--from another New Yorker! :waving:

SabrinaFaire
12-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Hello, I'm new. :) I'm Sabrina, I live in the Chicago area. I'm married, in 1 week it will be 2 whole months. No kids, one cat. I work full time and my husband has a comic book and gaming store.

A friend of mine is trying to teach me to knit and I'm trying to learn. Mostly I just make up new swear words it seems. :frog: My cat Hobbs is thrilled with this new hobby and does not understand why I yell at him when he goes for the yarn. Right now I'm trying to knit the standard beginners scarf. It's not going well but I will beat that yarn into submission if it's the last thing I do.

So that's me in a nutshell.

Ingrid
12-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Welcome Sabrina!! :waving: When people see us peacefully knitting, they have no idea of the swear words that erupt at regular intervals! :rofling:

DotMom61
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Welcome EVERYONE! Wow ... look at all the new people!! So glad to have you all here. I'm sure you'll find yourself well-entertained by the community here.

A little aside: Sabrina ... there are quite a few of us in the Chicago area, and we try to get together every couple of months. Check out this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139&start=585&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=illinois+knitters) thread. (I linked you to the last page of the thread -- you may want to go back and get caught up although it's somewhat lengthy!)

Again, welcome!

Katie80
12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting:

"Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a new knitter."

I found you guys last night and you solved my knitting problem.

Oh, and nice to meet everyone here!

DotMom61
12-01-2005, 01:21 PM
OK, everyone together now:

"Hi Katie!!! "

Katie80
12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Oh, I didn't tell anything about myself.

Well, I'm married a year and change, great husband. I am writing music and lyrics for children's music CD (stuff parents can actually listen to and enjoy, not want to throw the CD out the window.) I live in NYC and I spend a lot of my time visiting sick children in hospitals dressed as Princess Fiona (my husband is Shrek). That's my thing - kids.

So, I've also been working on having some of my own. Always wanted to knit and do yoga so I started both and love them both. Everyone on here seems so happy - it's amazing how great it is do do what you love, huh?

SabrinaFaire
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
A little aside: Sabrina ... there are quite a few of us in the Chicago area, and we try to get together every couple of months. Check out this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139&start=585&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=illinois+knitters) thread. (I linked you to the last page of the thread -- you may want to go back and get caught up although it's somewhat lengthy!)

Yeah I saw that. I'm in the northern 'burbs so Woodstock isn't too far away from me. I'm not one to pass by an opportunity to show off my knitting "skills." I'll have to check my calendar. Cuz I'm just that important. :)

bumblb77
12-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I have to say that this site is a lifesaver! My mom has always been a knitter, and at one time she tried teaching me how but it never "took". I decided to give it a try again a month or so ago when I was poking around my local Walmart looking for a new craft activity and found a nice little kit called "I Taught Myself Knitting". After a couple of hours of frustration and asking my fiance what the heck a slipknot was, I had my basic knitting figured out.

It wasn't until I found this site, however, that I really was able to see (with the videos) what I was supposed to be doing and get the answers to some of my questions.

I'm still very much a beginner, but I'm good enough to make scarves for all my friends and family for Christmas presents. Once I get through Christmas, I'd like to venture into something a little more difficult like a poncho or something.

Thanks for being here!

Vendie
12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Ack! :shock: I'm falling behind again! And there's so many of you joining us! Well, a big welcome to all of you! :waving:

Ilikesoup
12-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I really love this site!! :heart: :heart:

I was casting off really, really wrong (my book wasn't written very clearly) until I found your site the other day. Thanks for cleaning up my edges, fixing my cast off and showing me an easier way to weave in the knit ends (my first and last rows were always kind of bumpy). Pretty soon I'll be ready for more decorative stitches thanks to you!

Fabulous job! Thanks for all your hard work!

Pensguys
12-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi!!! I'm new here and I've been posting the last day or so.

I just started knitting last December.....really just playing around with yarn and different needle sizes, etc. When the weather got cool again, I picked up the knitting again. I'm working on hats for my boys now and have plenty of plans for future items! (Don't we all! :thumbsup: )

I just LOVE this site....I am definitely a visual learner so the videos here have been SOOOO helpful for me! I plan on taking a class in Jan. at the LYS to learn about knitting socks!

Everyone here is so helpful!!! I'm learning more and more by just reading.

Seedy
12-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Hello all! This looks like a great community. I've already learned so much from reading all of your posts.

I'm a 36-year-old newlywed from North Carolina who has been knitting since age 10, but I didn't get serious about it until around 3 years ago. Right now I'm working on some lacy scarves, which may or may not be done in time for Christmas. Also, I'm planning to start a blog in the next few days, which will be largely knitting-related.

I'm so glad I found this board! :inlove:

Ingrid
12-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow, so many new people!

So, Hello Everyone!!!! :waving:

dustinac
12-04-2005, 12:20 PM

Jax3303
12-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi! I (obviously) am new here. I am a 23 year old SAHM & I have 3 kids. I've been knitting for about 10 months now. I took it up about a month before my DD was born. I Crochet also, I took that up about 3 1/2 years ago. I always have several WIP's , but right now I'm forcing myself to work only on my Peacock Feathers Shawl so I can have it done in time to wear it to DH's comapnies Christmas party. I have 4 days left to finish it, and I'm about 2/3 done. If I stay up late the next few nights I think I can do it. You can see some of what I've knitted at http://anjaknits.blogspot.com

Pensguys
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! (I replied on your blog too). Something for me to aspire to!

and Welcome!!! I'm pretty new here myself.

Woolyworm
12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone-

My name is Kathy and I live in West Virginia. I have been dying to learn how to knit but I'm left handed and I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about knitting. Do you think theres any hope for me learning?? At this point I don't even understand the directions when I try to read them! :doh: Thanks for listening and I'm sure glad I found this place! Kathy

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Welcome everyone!

Woolyworm--I taught a left-hander to knit the 'regular' way and she has done beautifully! Learning to read the 'language' looks intimidating, but it's just abbreviations, really. Check out the wonderful videos, ask as many questions as you need, and you'll be on your way!

DotMom61
12-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Welcome Jax & Woolyworm!!!

Jax -- I visited your blog, and you're very talented knitter!! Beautiful work!

Wooly -- You absolutely *can* learn to knit, and you've found one of the best places around to find out how. Amy's videos are the perfect learning tool. Let me suggest that since you are left-handed, you try Continental-style knitting. My DS is left-handed, and he's learning to knit using that method, and it seems to be working for him.

Glad you two found us, and welcome to any other newbies that I've missed over the past few days!! Glad you're here!

rozaroni
12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I've been lurking on the site for a while, but today I decided to post because I have a confession to make: I've been knitting off and on for over 20 years, and just found out today that I've been doing my right-slanting (K2Tog)decreases the wrong way. I think I'll console myself by going out and buying new yarn...or new needles...or a new knitting bag...or all three!

InterNette
12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
I Love your name, so very cool. I agree I think you should treat yourself.

fandomknitting
12-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I just joined((I'm 16 and a beginning knitter)), and I can't even express how extremely awesome this whole site is :heart: . I learned how to knit last year, but dropped it because of several things, and am now just recently picking it back up because I have missed it far too much. I wasn't very experienced to begin with and basically just knitted anything(and nothing in particular) just to knit. I'm currently trying to knit myself a Hufflepuff scarf, so it's nice to know if I have any problems or questions I will have a place to ask them :happydance:

-Hannah

kittyscorner
12-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm a newbie here , learned to knit when I was 8 yo taught by my grandma but I did not get addicted until last year when Silver taught all of us soapers how to knit socks (thanks Silver :))

Been trying to knit a sweater that actually fits my hubby lol, I used the knitty pattern called 'knit by numbers' and it came out huge.. Already frogged it :frog: , gonna try another pattern after the holidays. :roflhard:

DotMom61
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Welcome, everyone! It's always nice to see new "faces" here. And, Kittyscorner, I see you are from Illinois ... be sure to check in on our Illinois Knitters (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=illinois) thread. We try to get together every so often, and we're planning a gathering in January!

Where are you in Illinois?

Ingrid
12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
:waving: Hello everyone!

yee
12-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi all!

This site was recommended by an acquaintance from another board. I've always been fascinated with the idea of knitting but never really had the patience to do it?? Well, I'm determined to learn how to do it and this site is a really great resource :D

My question for you all is: Do you have any recommendations on needle sizes/yarns/ etc that would be good to start with? Looking through the projects I'd love to make that elongated knit scarf on the Starter page but wonder if that's too much for a total beginner?

Your help/comments are appreciated!

-Yee

DotMom61
12-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Welcome, Yee!

I think the Dishcloth Boutique (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html) is a good place to start ... don't laugh, now! I scoffed at first, too, but once I knit one, I was hooked. They're a great way to learn to keep your stitches even, they don't take long to knit, and when you're all done, you have something useful!

Otherwise, lots of folks start w/ just a regular garter stitch scarf. Take a look @ Amy's Casting On (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php) and Knitting (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/knit.php) videos, find some yarn you LOVE, a set of sz 8 or 9 needles, cast on about 20-30 stitches, and start knitting!

lovestoknit
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
i am really happy you decided to do this website! it rocks! :thumbsup:

BinkyKat
12-10-2005, 04:46 PM
:happydance:
Just a note to say a BIG YARNY WELCOME to all the new members! I can't keep up with all the joiners so I wish you all fun and frivolity as you visit here!
I'm lovin' it every minute I am here!!! :inlove:

dustinac
12-11-2005, 11:11 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! (I replied on your blog too). Something for me to aspire to!

and Welcome!!! I'm pretty new here myself.

Welcome to the forum Loved your pictures great job!!

dustinac
12-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone-

My name is Kathy and I live in West Virginia. I have been dying to learn how to knit but I'm left handed and I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about knitting. Do you think theres any hope for me learning?? At this point I don't even understand the directions when I try to read them! :doh: Thanks for listening and I'm sure glad I found this place! Kathy

:cheering: I'm from WV!!! Welcome to the forum!!! We are now in OH but family is still in WV I go home every chance I have miss it... Is there a local yarn shop in your area that offers classes? I pretty much just got my yarn and needles sat down with Amy's videos and knitted with her till I got it LOL.. I'm not left handed though... stick with it you will get it!! :thumbsup:

Welcome Rozaroni :cheering:
Welcome Hannah!!
Welcome Kittys corner :cheering:
Welcome Yee!!
Welcome Lovesto knit :cheering:
Welcome everyone!!

midwife
12-11-2005, 02:01 PM
I am new to this site and have found it fun and informative. I have been knitting since about age 7 or 8 when my mother lead a 4H group called "The Knitters Of The Round Table" (named for the huge dinning room table at our house). I got more serious about knitting in grad school about 15 years ago. I am a nurse midwife and spend hours waiting on babies so have lots of time to knit. And lots of those babies are adorned with my hats. :heart: I am also a Family Nurse Practitioner.
I am currently knitting for Christmas as is everyone else. I have lots of projects on needles :( and always find something else I want to knit.
I look forward to hanging out at this site and "meeting" new friends.
Merry Christmas

dustinac
12-11-2005, 03:03 PM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum!!!

kittyscorner
12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome :)

I'm in Naperville, been keeping an eye on the Illinois Knitters thread hehee. Hope to meet up with you guys.

Kitty :)

Welcome, everyone! It's always nice to see new "faces" here. And, Kittyscorner, I see you are from Illinois ... be sure to check in on our Illinois Knitters (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=illinois) thread. We try to get together every so often, and we're planning a gathering in January!

Where are you in Illinois?

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Welcome everyone!! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. :happydance:

rorygilmore
12-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi.

I'm Alexandria from Louisville ky. I'm a Stay at Home Mom to a almost 1 yr old Brodie. I've only been knitting about a month and I'm already addicted!

dustinac
12-12-2005, 09:39 AM
:cheering: Welcome rorygilmore!!

I'm a SAHM too of two a little boy who is 5 and a little girl who is 2... I love the gilmore girls I think its cause I wish I was a fast talker like them lol... Welcome to the forum!!! :happydance:

mks22300
12-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone,
Well, I'm new here, obviously! :D I'm from Western NY where it is freezing at the moment. I taught myself how to knit a few years ago and have only made hats and scarves but one day I'll venture off and try a sweater or afghan!
My other intrests are Harry Potter (I just finished the Hermione hat for a little three year old girl who's also a fan, and it was my first cable and bobble project), reading (I do read other books besides HP :lol: ), baking, crafting (I make wreaths and floral arrangements with silk flowers) and I teach preschool.

knittinjen
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi, I'm knittinjen (known to family and friends as Jennifer) and I am loving this site! :XX: And that smiley there!

I'm 34, live in MN, single mom with 3 kids and one beagle (other 2 died recently :crying: )

I have been knitting for a couple of years now and mostly have made sweaters for my daughter who is now 6. Unfortunately, she is one of the warmest people in the world (Minnesota is built into her, I guess) and she only wears the sweaters for maybe an hour a day before taking them off and wearing t-shirts both at home and at school.

So I am branching out and making things like afghans, mittens, baby blankets, etc. (okay, this may be backwards, but suddenly I love the fact that when you are done with an afghan or baby blanket, you are DONE! No finishing, no seaming, no sleeves!)

I just made a fabric-knit bag (this kit I bought very cheaply at Wal-Mart) and I really like how it turned out! I'll probably put pix of this stuff on here someday when I have that part figured out.

Anyway, that's me. Can't wait to check out other stuff on the site. Great instructions and increase/decrease stuff, that is what I have "used" so far. Now I want to go see what you all are doing. ;)

fandomknitting
12-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Since I've been back knitting, I realized that I have forgotten all of the knitting terms. Trying to read a pattern or trying to read about someone's latest finished product and how they did it, is almost like another language now :frog: Could anyone walk me through the terms I need to know(like DPNs, and gauge, etc. etc.)? I can't believe I actually forgot it all over the course of a year :??

((ETA: Welcome to all the other newbies! :waving: ))

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the best Forum on the web! :cheering: :waving:

Fandomknitting--there is a tab for a list of abbreviations, many with videos at the top of the page. Anything else, just ask!

DotMom61
12-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow!! It is amazing to me how many new people keep wandering in here!! Fabulous!! Welcome, one and all!

(And, Knittinjen, glad you came over to check this out! Thanks for stopping @ my blog! ;-) )

fandomknitting
12-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Fandomknitting--there is a tab for a list of abbreviations, many with videos at the top of the page. Anything else, just ask!

I can't believe I didn't look there first :doh: Thanks ohso very much :D

dustinac
12-13-2005, 02:26 PM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum!!! :happydance:

Lisa1216
12-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi Everyone~ I found this forum after looking at the how-to videos. This is a great site! I have been knitting on and off since I was about 10 years old. Gave it up for a long time through my teens but picked it back up after my kids were born and have been addicted ever since. I love knitting cables and sweaters, but after Christmas and presents are done, I'm going to figure out how to do socks and some of those felted clogs I keep seeing. I can't wait. I'm having a great time reading through all of the posts on this forum, so I thought I would join and say Hi!! Everyone have a great holiday!! ~~Lisa

benniesma
12-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Welcome everyone! How exciting to see so many new members and knitters! :happydance:

Seedy - where are you located? There are one or two of us from NC on this forum. Make sure you post your blog addy when it's up!

and

MSK - where are you from? I'm originally from the Rochester area, and I know Sara is in the southern tier area. It's cold here in North Carolina, but I'm sure not as cold as NY! My son is really hoping there is some snow when we come up next week for Christmas!

Nuu
12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi!

I found this site recently, and have only now signed up on the forums. It seems quite homey here, and the atmosphere is quite refreshing. ^_^

I've been knitting on and off since my mother taught me to knit when I was 8; I recently took it up again when I decided I was tired of crocheting afghans and wanted to knit one. It's been tons of fun so far! ^_^ My "Want To Do" list keeps getting longer. ^_^

In closing, I would like to say I hope I enjoy my stay, the people here are exactly what I've been looking for in a knitting community, and I love this site. ^_^

Merry X-mas. ^_^

Nuu ^_^

Amber
12-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking, and posting a little, for some time now, so I thought it was about time I introduced myself.

My name is Amber. I started learning to knit this past September. I'm a SAHM with two young boys (ages 3.5 and 6 mos.), so it's been somewhat slow going. I only really get to knit during nap-times and at night after the kids are in bed (assuming I'm not too tired to keep my eyes open). I'm quickly becoming a knitting addict though. When I'm not knitting, I'm often day-dreaming about my next project or on here gazing with awe at all of the beautiful things you guys have created.

Let's see, what else... I also enjoy reading (especially mysteries), spending time with family and friends, and coffee (my other addiction). My dh and I have been married about 6.5 years. He works in the computer software industry and we live in California. He's fairly tolerant of my knitting obsession and makes the appropriate appreciative comments about my stuff (usually).
;)

Well, I'm sure you'll “see” me around. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better. :waving:

Ingrid
12-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Looks like we are becoming the most popular spot in town!! Welcome everyone!! :waving:

Andrea
12-14-2005, 08:55 PM
:waving: Welcome everybody!! :waving: Prepare to become addicted!!

Cristy
12-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi there--I'm a long time newbie to kniting--I started trying to learn how about 5 years ago. I recently stumbled across this site and inside of a week I've perfected the knit stitch, learned to purl and bind off and I began my own blog to cronicle my quest to knit. :) I love the site and reading what everyone has to say--it's very helpful!

I've always been obsessed with knitting--I just never knew anyone who could show me how.

I'm an autism specialist for the school system where I live--I have a beautiful 3 yr. old daughter named Julia, I have an awesome husband named Clint and an adorable weiner dog named spike. (Top of my want to do list is a doggie sweater--but I'm sure it'll be a while before I get there...!)

Anyhow--nice to meet you all--thanks for letting me introduce myself.

rorygilmore
12-16-2005, 01:29 AM
:cheering: Welcome rorygilmore!!

I'm a SAHM too of two a little boy who is 5 and a little girl who is 2... I love the gilmore girls I think its cause I wish I was a fast talker like them lol... Welcome to the forum!!! :happydance:

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

I love gilmore girls,It's my favorite show!!

chloe2804
12-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I just restarted knitting recently& I the love this site.

Last week I started a Harry Potter knitting group at a high school I work at. Most of the kids are enthusastic but don't yet know how to knit. I recommended this site to them so them could practice over the Holidays. It has been very helpful for me.

(We decided to sew all of our gauge swatches together to make afgans for the homeless in our area.)

Thanks for having such a great site.

Ingrid
12-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Welcome! I work at a high school, too. Haven't started them knitting yet, though. :waving:

earthchick
12-18-2005, 09:24 AM
:cheering: Welcome, all! This place is AWESOME!! You'll love it here! :thumbsup:

knason4
12-18-2005, 01:46 PM
This is such a great website. I wanted to try knitting about 5 years ago, so I bought one of those teach yourself to knit kits. After 2 hours of trying I got no where. About a week ago I thought I would try again. My wonderful husband found this site and I actually learned how to knit! And purl. I am so excited to add this great skill to my list of creative activities.

Ingrid
12-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Welcome! I guess in Alaska knitting is a good skill to have! ;)

LyndaKnits
12-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello Knitters!

I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm really enjoying this site. The forums are great!

I'm a 50 yr. old dialysis nurse, wife, mother of 3 sons and grandmother to a one yr. old granddaughter. We live on a farm, and DH used to have a dairy herd but is semi-retired, driving a feed truck part time and planting crops on the farmland. We live in Ontario, Canada.

I've been knitting since I taught myself at age 12. I really enjoy knitting, but also sew, and quilt a bit. Knitting is still my favourite fibre activity though.

Currently, I'm working on a white "throw" for Son #2 and DIL. It's a pattern from DragonPine Designs, called the "One of a Kind Throw". It is a kit that has several different types and weights of yarns, ribbon, shiny stuff, cottons, eyelash, etc, knit in vertical strips. I have about 100 more rows to go....should be do-able if I get left alone for a few evenings.:)

I use and really like my Denise needle sets. I have two, so I never ever run out of needles. For the smaller sizes I do use Addi's and have some Brittany dpn sets too for socks.

That's about it for me. I look forward to spending some time reading the posts and getting rid of some of my Yahoo knitting groups that are really getting a bit repetitive topic-wise. :)

Lynda

dustinac
12-18-2005, 09:52 PM
:waving: Welcome everyboyd!! :happydance:

ecuzzacrea
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi!

I joined Sunday night to ask a question and got such a fast response that I came back for more!

Everyone seems so nice and there is so much knowledge here. I've been reading all of the threads.

My name is Liz and I'm 25 years old. I live in Seattle, WA. I just moved here with my boyfriend of 7 years from our hometown right outside Buffalo, NY. We've only been here since late October, but we like it so far. It was a big move - away from everything and everyone.

I started knitting in Jan 05 when a bunch of my family started. A friend of ours would come over and teach us classes and it became a nice little knitting group.

Unfortunately I had to leave that group and I'm here trying to figure out knitting on my own! I'm still a beginner and feel frustrated lately without anyone to help me. I haven't been able to get any projects started b/c I keep messing up! I'm determined to learn by books, videos and stuff on the net now though. Hopefully it will work. :)

I also scrapbook. I'm on a few design teams and am also a freelance artist. I work full time for an online scrapbook store as well. My other great passion is painting. Mostly tole, but I love oil and watercolor as well.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself!!!

danikitty182
12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
hiya folks!

i'm danielle, 34, from winston-salem, nc. i started out as a crochet person, taught by my grandmother at first...but my lack of motor skills at age 8 frustrated us both. i picked it up again at 30, and WHEE!

now i'm knitting, with the help of Knitting for Dummies (great book!) mostly because i've always wanted to make sweaters, and i can never seem to find really neat sweaters in crochet...always knit. so here i is!

this looks like a really happy place full of really nice helpful people. thanks for being here!

Ingrid
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Welcome everyone!! Come on in and join the fun! :waving:

DotMom61
12-20-2005, 11:43 PM
It's so hard to keep up with all the new people on here, and yet it's so wonderful to see people literally FLOCKING here!! (please, no sheep jokes. :rollseyes: )

Welcome, everyone!

Mer
12-21-2005, 10:16 AM
So many new folks! Welcome! :cheering:

Angelia
12-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Wow!

Welcome all!!

Linda W
12-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to knitting and new to the forum. My name is Linda and I live in Cherry Hill, NJ with my husband and my 2 dogs.

I can't wait to get better at knitting, and am actually trying to make a poncho. I've completed a couple of scarves, and feel that I'm ready to tackle a larger project.

I think this site is wonderful, and has been a big help! Amy you ROCK!

Have a great holiday.

Linda W

dustinac
12-23-2005, 08:33 PM
:waving: Welcome everybody!!

Angelia
12-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Welcome, Linda! :waving:

And good for you on wanting to try new things! :cheering:

You'll find lots of help here--just ask!

Linda W
12-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I'll have a good time here. Now I just have to learn all the cool tricks like avatars and emoticons!

Linda W :XX:

partydiva
12-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Happy Holidays Everyone :lol: ,

My name is Chrissi and I picked up the knitting needles for the first time 3 weeks ago. I am 31, married with 2 children, and am currently living in Fayetteville, NC.

I have knitted a square and a dishcloth (knit and purl pattern) and am ready to move on to the next project. I started off with a skein of orange yarn and a self teaching knitting kit. I am ready to buy more yarn as I have learned some of the stitches. I think I may get adventurous with some of the fancier yarns and make a couple of scarves while it's still cold outside.

Last but not least, this is a wonderful site. I am extremely busy working on my culinary arts degree, working, craft classes, and my family and this is a very convenient way to learn how to knit. The support here is AWESOME :happydance: . I wish I had more hours in the day. Great job Amy.

Angelia
12-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Welcome, Chrissi! :waving:

Yes yes yes, move on to scarves--they are fun and sooo yummy to wear!

partydiva
12-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Angelia. I'm going out tomorrow to get some yarn that will actually look nice for a scarf. This neon orange that I am practicing with is not going to do the trick.

Angelia
12-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks, Angelia. I'm going out tomorrow to get some yarn that will actually look nice for a scarf. This neon orange that I am practicing with is not going to do the trick.

:rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

I don't doubt it ;)

I think Lion Brand has some patterns for animals on their site; you could maybe knit a couple for the boys using the yarn they picked out...

Anne
12-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Lindaknits,

I am knitting a Throw that sounds exactly like the one you are knitting.

My pattern is not from Dragon Pine Designs. Did you find your pattern in a book?

I found mine in a book at Borders Bookstore. Title of book is "the yarn girls guide to simple knits. Authors are, Julie Carles and Jordan Jacobs.

I am not finished with mine yet, however, i have enjoyed knitting it with all the different yarns.

Would love to see a picture of your Throw when you are finished.

Anne from Michigan

mks22300
12-27-2005, 07:43 PM
MSK - where are you from? I'm originally from the Rochester area, and I know Sara is in the southern tier area. It's cold here in North Carolina, but I'm sure not as cold as NY! My son is really hoping there is some snow when we come up next week for Christmas!

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your question benniesma, been busy with Christmas things. I'm from the Rochester area and right now it isn't as cold as it was the last time I posted! :P

horve1
12-28-2005, 03:35 PM
:heart: Just lucked into the site and I love it. The videos are wonderful, and I think the forum might be fun. :D

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
:heart: Just lucked into the site and I love it. The videos are wonderful, and I think the forum might be fun. :D

MIGHT be fun? It's a blast. Welcome to all new members! :waving: :waving:

SkoXylo
12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I am so happy I found this place. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and decided if I was going to stick around, I might as well make my presence known. :lol: Everyone here seems so helpful and, well, fun. I suppose introductions are in order... I'm a relatively new knitter (began this August), but I realized right away I loved it. I'm rapidly becoming obsessed with the craft (to the point that I decided to knit EVERYONE Christmas gifts.). Anyway, can't wait to get to know you all better.
~Les

Angelia
12-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome!! :waving:

kaysdaughter
12-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks. Just got back into knitting after over 20 years (learned from a book, first project a sweater, got to the sleeves and didn't finish). I've learned SO much from this site and the videos. Thanky you Amy! My favorite thing I've learned? Magic Loop. My stitches have vastly improved with circulars for some reason. Still way too tight...but that's for another topic forum. Great to meet everyone! Paula aka kaysdaughter

Jodyb
12-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm just introducing myself.
I'm Jody. I live in the Minneapolis area with hubby and 3 kids (one is moving to Austin TX next month with his girlfriend :rollseyes: )
My mom taught me to knit many, many, many years ago. I just decided to start knitting again. I learned how using the american way of knitting but with this sites videos I have successfully switched to the continental way. Mom also taught me to cast on but I've searched and searched but I'm unable to find anything published on how I cast on. I'm a little confused which cast on method to use and when.
I made my brother a scarf for christmas. I just made a dishcloth to try out continental knitting. Now I'm going to make another scarf for my hubby.
I'm very excited to add knitting to my list of fiber related hobbies. I sew, quilt and crochet.

Ingrid
12-29-2005, 12:04 AM
:waving: :waving: Welcome everyone!! :D

kellyjo32
12-29-2005, 12:46 PM
I've posted a few times but never *formally* introduced myself. I'm Kelly Jo, from Maryland, and I have recently become obsessed with knitting!! I'm only 25, and I think it's so great to see such an increase in knitters from my generation! I've always been very crafty, and just learned to crochet last year, and quickly realized that all the fun patterns are knitting, so I jumped right in. I must say that I am one of those people that believes I can learn anything, in only one day, and I always think I'm capable of just a little more than I really am...so this forum is great, because I always seem to need a little help, and although I ask him, my husband never seems to know how to read the patterns?!? :doh:
The lady at my LYS laughed at me when I took her the pattern I wanted to start with, and she said, well maybe you should start small, and you definitely should take some lessons. I said "Are you crazy lady?! You obviously don't know me...I'm a right now kind of person" I went home, ordered the pattern and yarn, taught myself how to knit, did my inaugural scarf in two days and was dying for the stuff to come in for my felted bag! Saved myself $45 in lessons, $45 can buy a lot of yarn!! So now I find it a little hard to walk into the LYS, they're too expensive anyways!
Anyways, I digress...So far everyone here at KH has been so helpful and I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the videos, what a great idea! I find myself addicted to this site while I'm at work and can't knit, and then I'm so excited when I get home that I can't wait to knit!! :happydance:
Thanks everyone!!

Angelia
12-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Welcome, Kelly Jo! :waving:

And you go girl, with your brave self! :thumbsup: Glad you've jumped in head-first!

:cheering: :cheering:

Lady M
12-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi All,

I am Anne and I am a advanced beginner at knitting. I tried to learn to knit about 20 years ago but just couldn's master the technique and became an avid crocheter. I have crocheted about anything that a person can crochet , from afghans to christening gowns and then stoped all together out of sheer bordom. I finally picked up the knitting needles about 3 weeks ago, bought a "Learn to Knit Video" and started knitting right away and now I am Hooked. I have read so many post here at this forum and have taken a ton of advise. I ordered the noro yarn and printed off the pattern for the Booga Bag. Ordered the pattern off e-bay for the Felted Clogs and cant wait until they all come in.

I have already made a Thick Scarf from "Woolease thick and Quick" and although it turned oout wonderfully. its so thick and heavy that I am thinking about pulling it out and saving the yarn for some other project.

I have made 2 purses from the pattern on DYI "Ediths Tot Bag " and I love how they turned out and will try to get them both lined with matching fabric by this weekend.

Well thats about it for me..... I want to thank you all for such a wonderful place to come to for ideals and advise.

Hugs to All
Anne

joe_doufu
12-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Hello,
I'm Joe, from Maine originally but now teaching English in South Korea. My last name isn't Doufu, that's a Mandarin Chinese pun.
A couple weeks ago my elementary school students started knitting (or so I thought -- now I realize it was crocheting) and I couldn't have them knowing how to do something I didn't, so I found this site and started. So far I have a short scarf-let, and moments ago I just finished my first hatlike thing. It's 4:07 in the morning.
Thanks for the videos, Amy.
Cheers!
Joe

BonnieM
12-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Hello from Massachusetts. I've decided to de-lurk and join the fun :D I've been knitting for about 3 years, and since discovering Amy's videos and this site, I've think I've graduated to an intermediate knitter :cheering: I've discovered the joys and frustrations of modular knitting...a technique that's been keeping me busy lately. I'm looking forward to *meeting* everyone and learning more. I'm now off to rip out the fourth triangle in one of the modular knits patterns :wall:

Ingrid
12-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Welcome! Depending on where you are in MA, check out the thread on the get-together tomorrow!

BonnieM
12-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Ingrid. I'm so close, it's scary, but I have to work :crying: Webs is wonderful. Y'all are going to have the bestest time (and lighter wallets, to boot). Next time there's a get together, I'm there!

Angelia
12-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Welcome Anne, Joe, and Bonnie! :waving:

joe_doufu
12-30-2005, 01:45 AM
I was a little freaked out for a minute there. My mother's name is Bonnie (and maiden initial M)... I thought she'd tracked me down here or something! LOL. Wrong state.

BonnieM
12-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Sorry to get your blood pressure up, Joe LOL!

chicagoknitter
12-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi to everyone. I read the new posts here nearly daily and I have used this site to teach me to knit! I am proud to say I am about to bind off my very first cable knit (a scarf for mom that was supposed to be a Christmas present, better late than never huh?) :XX:

Nice to be here and read everyone's posts. I love that there is a knitting community out there that is SO nice and SO helpful. It is great that you are all so willing to help us newbys out! Thank you! :thumbsup:

Angelia
12-30-2005, 09:27 PM

This place is wonderful--be careful, though. It can be as addictive as knitting! :D

swimmin_mama
12-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey yas! I'm a Mama from Ithaca, NY ... probably considered an intermediate knitter. Mostly I knit soakers, longies, sweaters and such for my DS who is now 11 months old. :D

Ingrid
12-30-2005, 11:38 PM
:waving: :waving: Welcome everyone!!

miss_jms
12-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Oh, I just saw this thread :oops:

I'm Jennifer, 23, from Arkansas. I am about to be married. My fiance and I have a 22-month-old daughter, Emily. I am also a full-time college student. I will finally graduate this year (after several attempts and several degree changes) with a degree in office administration with an emphasis in both bookkeeping and human resources.

My future MIL taught me to knit when I was pregnant, so I haven't been knitting very long at all. My first actual finished project was a scarf (surprise, surprise, right?) for my teacher and work study boss.

Now I'm a fanatic... I'm not very good yet, but I love, LOVE knitting now!! :lol:

I'm so very glad I found this forum... so far I've loved reading stuff from people who love knitting as much as I do.

I hope to get to know everyone soon!! :happydance:

Angelia
12-31-2005, 01:31 AM

PurlyQ
12-31-2005, 02:06 AM
This site is amazing. It's also a big first -- my first forum.

The reason I'm joining is to hopefully to get some input. Not much of a knitter and unable to find a simple pattern for a short-sleeved pullover sweater, actually believed I could make up a pattern. Now I'm stuck on the neck and will be trying out this forum (once I learn how to navigate it) for any suggestions. Perhaps the journey will prove more interesting than the final destination.

trucker945
12-31-2005, 05:38 AM
Howdy, howdy, howdy,
Too bad Amy didn't have this site up when I was teaching myself knitting, it might not have taken me as long as it did. The videos are very well made and informational.
Whenever I would ask somebody to show me something, their hands were like lightning and they would say "Just like that, it's easy, now you do it" :shock: :?? AS IF!!!
About me... I'm 48, retired and live alone, so I have plenty of time to do whatever I want; Knit, build web-sites, fly kites, go for a walk, get hammered on my home-made wine, make more wine, learn new things, whatever.
Lately I've also been teaching knitting to others... but I think Amy is better at it. I like taking my knitting with me when I travel. It freaks out the guys at the VA hospital when I open my back-pack and start knitting. Some want to know what possessed me. Then they want to know how to knit.
It all started years ago when I taught myself to make fishing nets. It gets cold out on the water, and good warm clothing is not cheap... but I am. So, knitting was the next thing to go for, naturally. I read a lot of books about it, made some knitting needles, (because I'm cheap) and got to it. String craft or string theory? It's a knotty subject. :rollseyes:
I make my own knitting tools, (but I bought the needle size gauge) and I shop for yarn at thrift stores. They can use the business, and I can use the savings. My Local Yarn Shop has terrific stuff... but, I am cheap. I like to cook, and I like to eat what I cook, so I prefer to spend money on food. :thumbsup:
I'll try to help by sharing what I've learned where I can, but pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :lol:

Any questions? Any answers? Anyone care for a mint?

Did I mention I'm a cheap S.O.B.?

Ingrid
12-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Welcome!

PurlyQ--be careful! This was my first forum, too, and look what's happened to me! :rofling:

Trucker--I'm self taught, too. There was not other option when I learned! Welcome to the forum--we could always use more guys. :thumbsup:

Jillle
12-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone. My name's Jill and I'm a knitaholic...now that I've found KH! I have two kids D 14 and S 17. I've been knitting scarves and hats like crazy (finally tried circs and dpn's). Everyone seems to love wearing the things I knit for them. Even my son has worn the hat I gave him for Christmas every day.
My other :heart: is tennis. Anyone else???

Angelia
12-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Welcome Jill! :waving:

I love watching tennis, but my knees don't like it when I play! :D

sweetjaine
12-31-2005, 08:20 PM
I am Jaine, I have been knitting since July. I decided in order to design my own tartan, I would need to be able to knit a sweater too. In the world according to Jaine, this is how things work....

I have finished a little sweater for my son, (4), and mittens and scarves for my daughters (9). I follow the general directions of patterns, but have my own design in my hands. (I do a lot of unknitting). I am working on a sweater, hat, bootie ensemble for a friend's baby. If I have time before I go see them I hope to bang out a pair of leggings for him too. It's cold up in the wild of NH.

I wound up here because of bobbles.

Angelia
12-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey Jaine! Welcome! :waving:

Wound up here because of bobbles, eh? I wound up here because of yarn overs! :rofling:

Ingrid
12-31-2005, 08:53 PM
More and more new people everyday!! Welcome!

Hey Sweetjaine--you're not too far from me!

WynnieG
01-01-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm Wynnie - Wynn for short, and I'm from New England!

I love this site. LOVE it. :heart: Anytime I feel a lack of confidence about the project I'm working on, I come here and get back on track. Just yesterday I discovered the community here - so fabulous to interact with so many friendly knitters! Everyone here is so helpful and kind.

My background: sometime artist, lifelong crafter. My hobbies range from knitting and crochet to embroidery, and even some funky woodworking projects (woodburning tools rock). I have a fascination for living history, and have done some costume work in the past (renaissance, US Rev and US Civ Wars). Although I've been knitting for the last several years, my projects have been limited to flatwork, socks and mittens. I have a fear of sweater neck shaping, which I hope to conquer with Hildy's 4 sweater KAL. I'm finally ready to take the training wheels off my needles!

My recent FOs include two pairs of mittens, a tweety-bird yellow scarf (acrylic worsted with matching eyelash), and a few woolen scarves of my own design. I've also been working on the mother of all granny square afghans - more of a crocheted quilt, really, in heavy heathered wools.

My current knitting project is Cynthia's Smorgasbord Socks from the Green Mtn. Spinnery book. The first one came out great, and my left foot is anxious for the second. :lol:

Angelia
01-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Welcome, Wynn! :waving:

Beyond admiring your knittyness, I love that you do costuming! If only I had money--I'd commission a Renaissance gown from you! :heart:

And yes, take off the training wheels and get in on knitting in the round. I swear, you'll never want to do flat knitting again!!!

gman78
01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi, I'm Greg (hence the gman, an old nick-name - I don't work for the government!) I'm 27 and live in the Suburbs of Washington DC. Other hobbies include my Volkswagen (http://www.schnellms.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=144) (a Scirocco, FWIW) (I can't wait to knit that VW hat in the patterns section), cooking, gardening and both mountain and road biking. Yeah, I hardly fit the demographics for knitting, but who cares? My mom 'taught' me to knit just about thanksgiving, and with the videos I found here I was really able to get a good grasp on the mecahanics. The goal in learning to knit is to knit a sweater for myself out of some beautiful yarn I bought at a craft shop in Ontario while on vacation a few years ago. I bought it hoping to convince Mom to knit it for me, but she steadfastly refused but said she'd teach me to knit so I can do it myself. So far I've knit 2 scarves and have started a 3rd for my brothers B-day. I've enjoyed having a hobby that's indoors as the rest of my hobbies are outdoor sort of things.
In this picture you can see the 2 finished scarves (both sorta short) and the work in progress.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/g-rocco/Misc/knitting.jpg

It's been fun to read the posts the last few weeks I've been lurking, and thanks for the tips and advice I've already read.
-Greg

Angelia
01-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Welcome, Greg! :waving:

Great work on those scarves! :thumbsup: They look scrunchy and warm!

And please, you call yourself the G-man, live in DC, yet expect us to believe you don't work for the government?! :rollseyes:

C'mon--we need an insider, someone to do special work for us!

I suspect you're just hiding your indentity...it's okay. WE won't tell! ;)

Ingrid
01-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Greg--have you thanked your mother yet for refusing to knit up that yarn for you? Look what her refusal pushed you into! Welcome! And don't listen to Angelia--she'll tell. :rofling:

Angelia
01-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I certainly will not! I'll put it in the vault!

Lana
01-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Hello and Happy New Year. :balloons:

Thanks to the my younger daughter, who is rapidly becoming an excellent knitter, I think have found the perfect message board for me. I belong to boards for doll collectors, but I am more of a collectable doll gatherer, than a collector. But dolls are are excellent for small knitting projects.

Although I am an experienced knitter, I have already added to my knitting vocabulary browsing the forums here. There's always something which can be learned form others.

I learned to knit when I was about 12 years old. I remember making 2 garter stitch booties on about size 2 needles. Noticed I didn't say "a pair"? That would imply they turned out the same size. :roflhard:

Six years past before I tried again. A fellow art student re-taught me the basics and armed with a Beginner Knitting book, I taught myself the rest. I made slippers from the book and a sweater that turned out too small for me and was passed on to a child. Then I found a pattern book for a very heavy thick 'n thin wool yarn that was knit up on size 13 needles. I made a couple sweaters as directed from that book and then a 3rd that I embellished with cables on the front. (I still have that one.)

The the late '60s, Chicago Public Television aired a show which taught how to knit seamless raglan sweaters in any size with any yarn. After I learned that, I created my own patterns.

As my hands aged, knitting with thick needles and heavier yarns caused pain, and that's when I discovered how much fun "doll collecting" could be for me. They never get their knits dirty, nor do they out grow them. I mostly use only sport weight or thinner yarns and size 5 or smaller needles.

Most recently I made my DH another fisherman hat. His other one I knit for him more than 25 years ago. Just this afternon I finished the knitting on a 2nd scarf for him in as many years. I only have the ends to weave in and blocking to do.
Hopfully I will learn how to post pictures on the board.
:XX: Lana

WynnieG
01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Beyond admiring your knittyness, I love that you do costuming! If only I had money--I'd commission a Renaissance gown from you! :heart:

And yes, take off the training wheels and get in on knitting in the round. I swear, you'll never want to do flat knitting again!!!

I'm good with knitting in the round on dpns for the small projects, it's the esoteric logic of circular knitting needles that breaks my brain. Boiling, stretching, and how to keep the stitch tension the same when the working part of the needles is so short? I think I pull too hard on the knit stitches.

A ren gown, huh? Wow, it's been a while. I still do hats occasionally, usually starched and wired linen, though I will sometimes still get a request for a beaded confection. I think the gown I loved best was a flemish style from the 1500s - avon jupon. That pattern is still available somewhere, and no matter what size the person who wore it, it always made them look fabulous.

Most of the requests I get of late are from Harry Potter fans for custom witch hats.. although that will probably taper off once the movie leaves the theatre.

BTW, where do I sign up for a badge for the trucker fan club? Because you seriously rock, man. :thumbsup: One of the first male knitters I ever met was a fellow in Maine who taught me about naalbinding (http://www.stringpage.com/naal/basicnaal.html). It's seriously fun and somewhat a cousin to the honorable ancient tradition of netting.

Angelia
01-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Wynn--

If the cable you're working with is longer than 16 inches, then the shorter needles aren't a problem at all. (I had the same reservations myself!) And, once you par-boil the cable, if you suspend the circ between uses and let one end dangle, you shouldn't have to fight the looping problem again. For small diameter knitting, I'd rather use a zillion dpns than fight a short cable. Blech.

I came this close to ordering that Avon Jupon gown! I love it! My fave of late, though is Robe du Soir. The website isn't working right now, but Sofi's Stitches has some stunning gowns. Medieval & Renaissance lit and history are my things, so anything medieval-y or Renaissance-y just makes me drool! :inlove:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome, Lana! :waving:

Glad you've returned to knitting and that you've joined us!! :cheering: :cheering:

DotMom61
01-02-2006, 02:10 AM
This site is amazing. It's also a big first -- my first forum.

The reason I'm joining is to hopefully to get some input. Not much of a knitter and unable to find a simple pattern for a short-sleeved pullover sweater, actually believed I could make up a pattern. Now I'm stuck on the neck and will be trying out this forum (once I learn how to navigate it) for any suggestions. Perhaps the journey will prove more interesting than the final destination.

Purly --

Maybe this (http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/shirt.htm) pattern can help you w/ a neckline. It's a knit t-shirt type sweater. Pretty cute!! And WELCOME! ;-)

melissa.atkins
01-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone...

My name is Melissa and I live in Oregon... :)

I love knitting!! Although I never had anyone teaching me the basics, I can claim that I have learnt a lot by myself... that is why I am trying to clarify some concepts and of course get better at this wonderful hobby!

Ill be asking many many questions(some of them might be really "dumb")... hope that doesnt bother anyone... ;)

Ingrid
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Welcome Melissa! There are no dumb questions here. Just questions--and they're all welcome.

Angelia
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Welcome, Melissa! :waving:

No such thing as dumb questions here--when you run into trouble, just ask!

melissa.atkins
01-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank you for the welcome!!! :)

I love it here!

lovermont
01-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm 35 years old and just began teaching myself how to knit today!! Amy's videos are very helpful. Even though my skills are very basic, my 9 year old daughter is very impressed. I'm looking forward to teaching her and utilizing Amy's videos.
:lol:

Angelia
01-02-2006, 10:38 PM

Aren't the videos great?! I couldn't be knitting without them!

monzogary
01-03-2006, 02:26 PM
I have posted a couple times now, but am just now getting around to introduce myself. My name is Mary and I am a SAHM to 3 girls - Aimee 14, Heather 5 and Laura 2 - in SE Michigan. I have been knitting for about 20 years now and recently joined a local SnB group that meets once a week, so even though I've been knitting a long time, I am learning new things there and from this site! It's been great to teach this old dog new tricks LOL.

;)

Angelia
01-03-2006, 02:49 PM

You can probably teach us some things, too!! :thumbsup:

dustinac
01-03-2006, 07:13 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!! :happydance:

DannahK
01-03-2006, 11:59 PM
My best friend linked me to this site - isn't he a sweetheart. He knows that I've started knitting, and he's the link master, and I am so glad he found this place! Already in the day that I've been looking around I've found so many helpful tips, tricks and videos! Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!

Angelia
01-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Welcome, Dannah! :waving:

Where in Alabama are you?!

DannahK
01-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Huntsville - The Rocket City.

Are you from here too? I see you are from NA instead of LA...

Angelia
01-04-2006, 12:42 AM
ACK! I am in Huntsville! :shock: Whereabouts in town are you? Not the address, just NSEW?

DannahK
01-04-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm a Madisonite yuppie - Work at Marshall

Where abouts are you?? Oh, and Where do you buy knitting stuff? Walmart and Michaels seem to be out of all the good stuff lately.

Angelia
01-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I teach at UAH and live just off 72 toward Athens (a stone's throw from Madison, actually!). I get a lot of stuff online, though I do end up buying a lot at Hobby Lobby. Yarn Expressions is nice--it's down on Whitesburg near the post office. I've yet to make it to The Knitting Zone down in Lacey's Spring--it's kind of out in the boonies, I think.

BeStill&Knit
01-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi!

I just joined the forum after lurking for a while. I just love all the helpful tips and ideas here and want to share some of my own and perhaps make a new friend or two hundred.....

Unfortunately, I won't be able to spend as much time here as I am sure I could. I'll check in at least once a week so that I can keep up. If you have something more urgent for me, please send me a pm or an email.

Abundant blessings,

Lisa

switsawa
01-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Hello, all. I absolutely love this site. I initially googled it because I was having trouble with a color change. After seeing the video I realized that I have been doing it wrong! My grandmother taught me when I was in my teens; I haven't been an avid knitter for time restraints, but I'm getting back into it. I am having fun learning to knit continental style. I didn't know it even existed, but while watching one of the videos, I was thinking, 'Man, she's fast'; then thought I might try it.

I'm currently knitting a striped chenille scarf for my daughter; we're going to a gymnastics meet in New York in February. It's my first experience with double pointed needles, but it's going along well. She checks on me daily(she loves how soft it is), so I have my little knitting motivator.

Cheers.

jodstr2
01-05-2006, 03:55 PM
:waving: :happydance: welcome, everyone! I haven't checked this thread in ages so pls forgive me for not mentioning you by name. glad to have you all here! the more, the merrier! :happydance: :waving:

Angelia
01-05-2006, 05:47 PM

Be sure to post a pic of that scarf--we love that stuff!

heartknits
01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

you have no idea how happy I am to find this forum!! I learned to knit about a year and a half ago after trying for about 10 years off and on. I've crocheted for over 20 years and am fairly advanced in that area. I'm a part of Crochetville.org, a HUGE forum and had been wishing for a long time to find the same comraderie on a knitting forum. I finally did!! This place rocks!! Now I'm getting into spinning as well. I will be 30 years old this year, am married to my best friend, have 3 beautiful kids, and not enough time to indulge my fiber obsessions!

Angelia
01-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Ahh, you have stumbled upon a group of kindred spirits, Rebecca! :inlove:

missneaki
01-07-2006, 04:44 PM
hello to everyone. i'm new here. my name is heather - and in the avitar is my cat neaki.

i taught myself to knit online when the knit washcloths my mother bought me had worn out. i wanted more, but didn't know any knitters.

that was a little over a year ago. i consider my self a beginner 'cause i haven't ventured too far past knit and purl.

that was untill now. i found the videos and went 'yeah!'. then i found this forum 'double yeah!' - saw how helpful and friendly everyone was 'woohoo!'

on the needle: i'm just working a swatch of different stitches. learning how to mke baubbles and cables and twisted type stitches 'n stuff.

melissa.atkins
01-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Welcome here Heather! I can pedict you will become and "adict" with this forum... that happened to me.. ;) But, it is for a good cause... KNITTING! ;) :XX:

I like your cat!!!

nanonette
01-07-2006, 05:14 PM
A newbie knitter here. Just started about 2 months ago. So far I've completed 3 scarves and a stocking hat for my DS. I'm working on the easy poncho pattern found here for my DD now.

Love this site! The videos are completely FABULOUS!! I was lost without them. Just couldn't get it with the Boye's beginner knit set I purchased. Then someone posted on another board (scrapbooking - my other hobby/obsession) about this site. Funny thing - quite a few scrapbookers I know have started picking up needles for crocheting or knitting, and all of us started around the same time, too!

Anyway, I love your board & your site! Keep up the great community!

MissAbi
01-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey everybody!

My name is Abi and I'm new to the forum. I'm 20 years olds and I've first learned how to knit when I was 12. I gave up after my first scarf because I knit too tight. But I joined a SnB last summer and the ladies pointed me to this site when I decided to give kntting a second chance.

So far, I've knit quite a few scarves using different techniques (cabled, entrelac, lace). I'm finishing up a lace scarf right now and after this, I like to try something new. Socks perhaps. I'm open to suggestions.

I look forward to getting to know all of you through your posts.

MissAbi
01-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey everybody!

My name is Abi and I'm new to the forum. I'm 20 years olds and I've first learned how to knit when I was 12. I gave up after my first scarf because I knit too tight. But I joined a SnB last summer and the ladies pointed me to this site when I decided to give kntting a second chance.

So far, I've knit quite a few scarves using different techniques (cabled, entrelac, lace). I'm finishing up a lace scarf right now and after this, I like to try something new. Socks perhaps. I'm open to suggestions.

I look forward to getting to know all of you through your posts.

Angelia
01-07-2006, 07:18 PM

Glad to have you aboard this ship of wonderful fools! :D

Ingrid
01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
:waving: :waving: Welcome everyone!

Kempybird
01-08-2006, 09:32 AM

My name is Kelly (but Kelly K was al ready taken ;) ) and I am in England. I just started to knit, after seeing the fab videos on here and thinking, 'I could do that!'.

I am about to start my very first scarf, so I'm sure I'll be posting my frustrations on here soon!!

Bye for now :D

Kel x

Ingrid
01-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Welcome Kelly! :waving: :waving:

Angelia
01-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Welcome, Kelly! :waving:

AKchick
01-08-2006, 11:08 AM
I just realized I never really introduced myself but I have been asking for help a few times already. Anyhoo, my name is Desiree, I'm living in Wisconsin right now with dh and our three kiddies (2 boys and a girl), but I am an Alaskan girl through and through. Dh is in the military so we move around a lot.

I have been knitting for about 4 1/2 years but haven't gotten very adventurous until now. I taught myself from books and amazingly enough haven't come across anyone else yet that knits in our travels. I am trying to expand my horizons and try more difficult patterns. I crochet too, but love, love, love the look of knitting so much more and I find it so much more satisfying.

This site has been so helpful, thanks everyone for being willing to offer your expertise and experiences and thanks Amy for this site, it is so nice to be able to get some help somewhere.

Angelia
01-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Hello, Desiree and welcome! :waving:

meg
01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
hello all, im meg & this is my first time here. after lurking a few minutes, i couldnt wait to join. very nice site! :thumbsup:

jodstr2
01-08-2006, 03:57 PM
:cheering: hi everyone, and welcome!!!!!!!!! :waving:

Angelia
01-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Meg! :waving:

Gee, we sucked you in quite quickly! Niiiiiiice! :happydance: