PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

dustinac
01-10-2006, 08:45 PM
:cheering: :happydance: Welcome everyone!!! :happydance:

flecker
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi all! I admit, I've been lurking around for awhile and decided this site was too much fun to not join. :D

I'm a 30 year old teacher married and with two kids and three dogs. I've been knitting for about 1 1/2 and consider myself obsessed.
If I could figure out a way to incorporate knitting into history class I would. :thinking:

My biggest projects lately have been afghans since I made a bunch for Christmas presents for nieces and nephews. I would like to try some sweaters (I tried a few, but didn't quite understand weaving in ends and seaming so yuck.)

I'm looking forward to chatting...
Kim

punkhippiemom
01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Kim - Are you doing American history or world history?? It would be amazingly easy to work into any discussion of Ireland/Scotland, Scandinavian countries, sailors, etc... watch out, though, or your class will turn into the history of knitting, and related discourses and studies of the different methods and fibers and... see, there I go already :rollseyes:

Welcome aboard everyone!

flecker
01-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Rebecca, I have American history from around 1870 to present. I think I could swing it into early American, (ok, I know I could there) but not so sure about this era....keep suggestions coming though.

DotMom61
01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
:waving: Hi all you knew knitters ... it's knice to see all of you! Wish I had more time to peruse, but we've just been too tied up lately! I hope you all are enjoying your stay!

Sara
01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Actually you could talk about the growth of the middle class and the pressures of the Victorian mindset. You could discuss what (wealthy) Victorian women did with their leisure time, like hair weaving, lace making, those diorama things made out of shells that were placed under glass bells....And then you could link it to feminism and women's suffrage...

:hiding: I'll just go away now... :oops:

punkhippiemom
01-11-2006, 09:23 PM
:cheering: for Sara... and of course make sure you add how women have taken back knitting, once sen as a matronly, stereotypical thing to do, and made it a symbol of modern feminism! ;)

Ingrid
01-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Um, I'll just say hi! :waving:

Angelia
01-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Welcome! :waving:

mouldydc
01-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello folks,

I must admit to being a serial lurker for a long time now!
I've only been knitting a few months - got scarves down pat, although it took me a while to figure out what to do with the new ball ends (Weird middle of the scarf tassles!)
Despite being thousands of miles away from all of you, and having no access to the lovely yarns you all talk about, I wanted to join and share my very newfound love of knitting with someone. Here in London it's still pretty tricky to find wool shops, and even trickier to know what to buy once you get there! I've a stash already and I don't even know what half of it is! Damn e-bay.

Anyhoo - Hi! Fantastic website and forum, I love it.

Kirsty

DotMom61
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Welcome, Kirsty! It amazes me that the knitting craze hasn't caught on in your part of the world. Frankly, I thought that's where it all started, but I guess it's really much further north of you, eh?

Well, we're glad you're here! Post pictures! ;)

punkhippiemom
01-13-2006, 11:51 PM
:waving: Hello, from the other side of the pond!! We actually have a kind of international membership, with some members in Germany, the Netherlands, Australia, and other places I can't recall right now :??

And the shipping might be a little crazy, but look into catalogs for a lot of your yarns...

lmc
01-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi, I've been talking on a blog with some of the wonderful women here, and got help on a help page that got me to the videos...I learned how to attach a photo of my first work today...I haven't done a lot of knitting, been at it teaching myself for maybe four months now. There is so much on this site I think I'll age many years before I can read or get to it all. I am so appreciative of finding it. Not only am I learning more knitting skills but also learned what a Blog is! Welcome to the twenty first century right? I might even write 100 things about myself. Since I've been around a lot longer than most of whom I've seen here so far that probably won't be too hard to do! ;) Again this is so much fun. I am presently wearing a 75% wool scarf in garter stitch I need one more skein to make as long as I want it to be. It looks very cool. Textured yarn in multicolors with thin strand of gold running through looks very artzy. Am starting a second scarf in blues for our grandbabies' nanny, who is my newest friend she wants it trimmed in fun fur because I made one like it for my one year old granddaughter! :inlove: My other knitting projects finished are three sweaters in cotton yarns for twin grandchildren and one tiny 0-3 mo size sweater for a new baby cousin to be. Came out sweet. If not the most professionally looking piece of work...not there yet...but the babies don't complain! :lol:

Angelia
01-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Welcome!! Welcome!! :waving:

butterflymama
01-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Hello! I just thought I would introduce myself since I know I will have lots of questions in the future. I learned to knit as a little girl but never really got serious until recently. I found this site when I was trying to remember how to do a few things. I am doing simple things like scarves, dishclothes, hats and soon to be socks and bags and sweaters.

Anyway, look forward to learning lots here. :D

punkhippiemom
01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
:waving:
Welcome!!! we like questions ;) so ask away.... :mrgreen:

lmc
01-15-2006, 01:16 PM
:cheering: Welcome Butterflymama...sounds like you are off to a riproaring start. :XX: I can't believe how much knitting I am seeing since I started just a few months ago myself. Friday I saw a woman watching her child in a park standing up and knitting...later I saw the same woman pouring over knitting books with another woman at the park, yesterday I was with a group of people and four of them admitted to having started up knitting again and one beginner is a seven year old child! I am seeing it everywhere. Today I will attend a knitting group that meets once a month at our local downtown bakery for two hours to knit and chat. Last night I knit for six hours on a scarf I am determined to finish before the group meeting today! :XX: :XX: :XX:

butterflymama
01-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am becomming slightly addicted! My husband wants to learn to crochet so I think the disease is spreading. :lol:

lmc
01-15-2006, 01:35 PM
:rofling: love it! See its everywhere. Cute story in the Lions Brand newsletter today if you get it (for free download) about a grumpy old man who knit in the Korean war and as a child during the depression.

Bunnyblossom
01-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Pulling up a chair and reading til my eyes hurt!

I'm a soaper, whose business is currently shut down due to Hurricane Rita. Have been oogling Silver's stuff on the soaper board I frequent, and decided it's trime to try! Am downloading the casting on video now (dial up is just horrible!) and am going to try for a small scarf, or a pot holder, or whatever it turns out to be!!! I picked up a few how to books at Wal Mart, and I'm so totally lost, those pics have to skip steps, because when I do exactly what it says, it just doesn't look like the pic!

OMG I'm so excited! Hurry up download!!!

zara
01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Hello I'm new to this Forum. I joined this one cos it was better than the british one. I just wanted to say hello to everyone. :D

Nomad
01-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I've been posting a while but never formally introduced myself - sorry :oops:

I'm British - brought up in south-east England but I've spent the last 9.5 yrs moving with my career. So I've also lived in north-east England, London, Dubai, Paris, Maryland, Tennessee, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan... and I'm now in Ukraine.

Um, yeah, hence the username :lol:

Working as I do in construction, my colleagues think the sight of me knitting is laugh-inducing, but I don't care! It's also been an excellent way to ingore the temptations of smoking since everyone here smokes & I'm an ex-smoker.

This site is fab - I don't know what I'd do without it for advice & information :D

Angelia
01-17-2006, 11:33 AM

What do you do (if you don't mind my asking) that makes you move so much and to such diverse places? (Tennessee and the Ukraine--that combo cracks me up!)

Nomad
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM

What do you do (if you don't mind my asking) that makes you move so much and to such diverse places? (Tennessee and the Ukraine--that combo cracks me up!)

I'm a contracts administrator for a huge construction company - we build 'mega projects': power plants, airports, gas refineries etc.

Actually TN & Ukraine are 2 of the most similar places - in both I live(d) in small towns where most people are associated with the local nuclear plant... and the social life revolves around the bar or the church. Oh, and I couldn't/can't understand the language in either place! :roflhard:

Angelia
01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Good one!

bronnyd
01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
hi ~ i just found this site a couple days ago and introduced myself in Amy's blog, thinking it was the general forum. It was way too long (my intro). Just want to say, what a great site this is! It's really a great resource, esp. for beginningish knitters like me. Lots of great suggestions on this forum too. it's just GREAT. have a great day. :rollseyes:

i'm not being sarcastic, just realized my word for the day is great. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Welcome, everyone!!! :waving:

Doll Face
01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Hello! My name is Tanya, I'm 25, and from Chicago. I've been knitting a little less than a year now and it's the first activity I've picked up that I've actually stuck with.

I learned how to cast on and make the knit stitch from a friend, but everything else I learned on my own, mostly with the help of the videos on this website. I don't know how what I would have done with them! I've also been so inspired by other people's projects here.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself.

-Tanya

lmc
01-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Welcome to all the newbes. It's fun to see I am already a "regular" after less than one month here! LOL :happydance: I check in here nightly/morningly/daily since finding YOU. It's a wonderful new group to be a part of...knitting, chatting, sharing...dogs, cats, lives. So glad I found YOU.

Kathy818
01-18-2006, 03:40 PM
:XX:

Hello, everyone. This is my very first post. Let me introduce myself.
I'm Kathy from Kansas, a wife, mom, and grandma who loves, loves, loves to knit.

I've been knitting for over 30 years, but have only just recently discovered all the internet has to offer in patterns, instructions and, now, a forum for friendship and support.

Every year, I attempt something new, in order to push my craft. This year, I've discovered socks. What fun I'm having -- I had no idea how quick and easy socks are. And what satisfaction!

My past favorites have been baby items for the my grandchildren: Amber is 11, Austin is 7, Laynie is 18 months, and our newest is due any day now, gender unknown! I've done lots of baby sweaters, blankets, scarves, hats, a couple of ponchos and, now, socks!

I look forward to sharing with you.

lmc
01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Kathy, nice for me to find another grandma here. Wow, 30 years before you made your first socks. Since I am new to knitting I guess I can relax...however I doubt I have 30 years left to knit or breath so maybe i'll try a little sooner than you did. :rofling:

Mine, since you shared, are 15, 12 and twins are 16 months old and just walking. My 15 yr old grandson is wearing one or the other of two hats I made him for the holidays EVERYDAY his mom told me! Not sure the 12 yr old girl is toting her fun fur purse or wearing her hat or scarves or not. Might not be cool. who knows? The twins are each growing into sweaters I knit for them (my first knit sweaters and first twins) and can be seen somewhere on this forum not sure now where. There is so much here to discover. It's an awesome site. Welcome! Enjoy!

Kathy818
01-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks, IMC. Glad to meet another Grandma anytime. You're new to knitting? How interesting! I'll watch for your posts.

lmc
01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
okay...IMC=Lynn Can't figure out how to change that username.
Grandma's rule (gently). :inlove:

ctine28
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
hey guys, i'm a newbie and i'm sooo glad i found this site! i've only been a part of it for a couple of days and i'm already addicted.

i'm originally from NJ but i'm in my fifth year at Ohio University in Athens. i learned how to knit when i was young but i didn't begin seriously knitting until about 2 years ago.

i'm good at starting projects but not so good at finishing them...hehe. i get excited about new projects and just keep moving on...i'm hoping being a part of this forum will change that :)

i don't consider myself to be all that creative...so i often make things i've seen with my own spin on it. last week i spent about 1/2 and hour in a class figuring out the pattern of a scarf that the girl across from me was wearing (cuz i loved it) and that, with a few changes, is what i'm working on now.

other than knitting i like computers, my dog (a 2yr old silver-dapple daschund), psychology (my major), sewing & crocheting (although i'm new to both of those too)...and a bunch of other stuff

anyway, feel free to IM me or send me a message.

i'm also on myspace:
www.myspace.com/ctine28

Angelia
01-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Welcome all!! :waving:

Ingrid
01-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Hello to all from another grandma. :D :waving:

VictoriaE
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Since I already posted something in the Question section to get help, I figured that it would be most appropriate if I finally introduced myself. Hi all :)

My name is Victroia & I'm a freelance writer, model, and environmentalist. I'm also the founder of the San Francisco Craft Mafia (sfcraftmafia.com).

mks22300
01-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Welcome along to everyone who has just joined! I don't come here as often as I would like, but I love how friendly it is and all the great tips that I've gotten from the videos and just from reading what the other knitters have to say. I'm sure you will all love it here too! :D

hymiej2253
01-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone! I just taught myself how to knit about a month ago and I love it! I clicked on a link to this page off of knittingpatterncentral.com and am so happy that I did!! Amy you are awesome!! :XX:

Angelia
01-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Marshy
01-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Hello to everyone,

Lucky for me I was looking for the best way to increase stitches, and I found this web site. I was amazed by the detailed videos, and even though it was late and I should have been in bed, I had to sit and view most of them.

I was so impressed that I decided to register, and I hope to make many new friends. I grew up in Pennsylvania, but I've been living in Wales the past 4 1/2 years after marrying a Welshman.

Thanks for a wonderful site! Hats off to you Amy! :D

Angelia
01-21-2006, 09:08 PM

If you think the videos are addictive, wait until you get sucked into the joy that is this forum!! ;)

Knitty_Nikki
01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Hi!
I am just learning to knit and found the videos on this site VERY helpful! I have been reading the posts for the past day, it's very nice to know I'm not the only one obsessed with yarn and needles!! :D

Ingrid
01-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Welcome everyone! We get so many new people everyday--all with the same obsession! :waving: :waving: :waving:

zara
01-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Hello to the other Newbies from a fellow Newbie. Nice to see other people from the U.K on here too.

weenerdogg
01-22-2006, 11:07 PM
hi I'm Jenn. I finally stopped lurking and registered! Can't wait to get to know everyone and quench my thirst for knitting knowledge.

Angelia
01-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Welcome, Jenn! :waving:

Glad you finally de-lurked! ;)

loisamelia
01-23-2006, 03:55 PM
hi everyone
i have posted in a few of the other forums but i thought i'd introduce myself properly :D
I'm Lois from Ipswich England and have just taken up knitting. i am knitting a soaker for my ds having just finished the first one off.
this site is great and i'm sure it will be a great help to me.
looking forward to chatting to you all some more soon
Lois

Angelia
01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Welcome, Lois from Ipswich! :waving:

(I love saying Ipswich...sorry! ;) )

glomper
01-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi, we've only been online a few months. I am somewhat technically challenged so I have trouble viewing the videos on this site, don't know whether it is me, my location(NZ), or a software problem but what I have been able to see of the videos looks really great. I am new to the world of forums, having joined my first a few weeks ago but this looks like a very active and worthwhile site.

It is great to have a place to talk to others about knitting and to share knitting problems as I don't know many people who knit. Also living in a smaller country (population approx 4 million) we don't have the wealth of resources found in Europe or United States, so not so many yarn shops and no knitting circles or classes for adults that I know of.

My nana taught me to knit when I was a teenager (well knit and purl anyway, she did everything else for me). I resumed knitting about 18 months ago when I noticed loads of girls at my daughters primary school wearing scarves made from novelty yarns - mostly in feathers, and decided to try making one for my girl. I have been knitting ever since.

Ingrid
01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Welcome one and all! :waving:

Glomper--It could be your Pop Up Manager is preventing the videos from coming up. See if you need to allow pop ups from this site and you might be able to see the videos.

Mer
01-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Welcome everyone! :D

saracidaltendencies
01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Hello, I'm Demonica and I'm a new knitter and new to the forum.

I agree with everyone else, this is an excellent site with very helpful information and videos.

I started knitting just after Christmas...My mom and dad got me the Stitch n Bitch book and my first needles and skein of yarn. While Stitch n Bitch is a very good book for beginning knitters, there were just some things I needed to see and no one near me is a knitter. With the help of your videos, in just a few days I was able to knit my first scarf (and I started knitting with absolutely no knitting knowledge less than a month ago).

I will definately keep checking the forum and looking for new videos...I'm sure I'll get stumped somewhere down the road...lol

Eristell
01-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Hello fellow knitters.
I am Erin. I'm in my early twenties and have been knitting, crocheting and sewing since I was about seven. My grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet, while Oma (my mother's mother) and my mom taught me how to sew. I've loved the textile arts since I was a child, and I hope to go into fasion design soon. But first, of course, I have to get through college.
I hope to learn alot while I am here, and hopefully I won't break the bank in the process.

Angelia
01-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Welcome Demonica and Erin! :waving:

D--Congrats on your first scarf! :thumbsup: Photos?? Please share--we love that!

E--Oooh, fashion design! You can practice your knit patterns on us--we love test knitting! As for not breaking the bank...well, we just can't help you there--unless you want us to help you TO break it--that we can do! ;)

saracidaltendencies
01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Sho nuff, I can snap a few pics and put em up!

Eristell
01-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Thank you for the welcome! I'll be sure to show off all of my patterns with you guys. ^^

mouldydc
01-25-2006, 06:36 AM
It's brilliant to see so many Brits (or at least Brit located) types registering. Perhaps this will start a revolution of some kind!

(BTW There are no LYS in Central London - incase you're visiting.
Perhaps I should open my own!)

Eristell
01-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I realy miss Europe.. Meh... I think people are just, friendlier over there. Here in the states, to many people are into the whole clique thing and most won't talk to anyone that doesn't look like they have the same intrests. Or people are stereotyped because of what they happen to be wearing that day. If I wear just a little bit of black, I get these little old ladies following me around in department stores, while some preppy cheerleader type five feet away from me is sneaking something into her purse... Oh well... End rant of the day.

Nana
01-26-2006, 02:50 AM
I love this site, I'v taken most fav. sites out now. It's so much easier in here. So much more friendier.

dustinac
01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
:waving: Welcome Everyone!!!

Angelia
01-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Welcome, Nana! :waving:

TwoLeftNeedles
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Found this site a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking a while. Y'all are so nice!

I'm soon-to-be-47 mother of two, wife of one, webmaster to thousands, living in Austin TX. I learned to knit (English hold) stockinette at the age of 9, knit one scarf, and never knit a thing after that. :rollseyes:

My sister asked for learn-to-knit stuff for Christmas, and when I was in the store picking stuff up, I went hmmmmmmm.......

I decided that I wanted to go continental instead. Knit, no problem. But after several hours of attempting purl I found myself with hands in cramps , body entirely wrapped in yarn, my shoelaces in knots, and dinner late... with only 5 purl stitches to show for it. :oops:

So I found a site that discussed combined knitting. :heart: Well... until I tried a simple pattern stitch that involved increases and decreases :frog: It seems that you have to know what you're doing :roflhard: and alter pattern instructions :help:

Finally, I found this site, and with the help of Amy's videos and the grim determination to make two garter stitch dishclothes by purling only instead of knitting only, I finally got the normal, continental purl stitch down. :balloons:

Angelia
01-26-2006, 02:46 PM

I made myself learn to purl the same way, pretty much, only I was working on a scarf (still in a puddle somewhere among my too many WIPs)

Your sig line made me laugh out loud--LOVE it!!!

DotMom61
01-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Welcome, all you new people!!! So glad to see all the new "faces" here.

Eristell ... perhaps you just need to come to the Midwest to find those friendly Americans you seek. ;-) ... just kidding to all you Texans out there!! I've never been to Europe. So, I have absolutely nothing to compare, but I have lived in a couple of different states, and I have found some of what you are talking about. I hope you can find some other knitters to hook up with; I've yet to meet a knitter that wasn't nice. ;-)

And TwoLeftNeedles -- congrats on conquering the Continental Purl. I, too, am a Continental knitter, and often feel like I'm in the minorty. I love it, though. I do want to give the English style a try, though, so that I can try some color work by holding one color in each hand, speaking of being all wrapped up in yarn. :lol:

knittingmama
01-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm Jen. Knitting is something new for me. Just a few weeks. I'm rather frustrated! BUT I got the video cd (our computer is snail slow) so I'm getting better. A little frustrated with patterns though. Soemday..:frog: ..maybe I'll get the mitten correct!

minkrsa
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi everyone!

This site and forum is great! I've learned a lot of here. :D

Ou...introduction!? :lol:

I'm a 25 years old woman from Finland, deep in a cold north. I do handicrafts, mostly knitting. During past year I've noticed there is a lot of knitters in the world. And in the internet the world feels so small. :lol:

minkrsa
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone!

This site and forum is great! I've learned a lot of here. :D

Ou...introduction!? :lol:

I'm a 25 years old woman from Finland, deep in a cold north. I do handicrafts, mostly knitting. During past year I've noticed there is a lot of knitters in the world. And in the internet the world feels so small. :lol:

Ingrid
01-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Welcome everyone from far and wide!! :waving: :waving:

Angelia
01-27-2006, 07:04 PM

It's great that the internet makes the world so small! :happydance:

kimira
01-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Hello, all. I am, obviously, new here! I just started knitting about two weeks ago. My friend's boyfriend's aunt (loose connection there) taught me, and my first project was a garter-knit scarf with fairly large yarn on enourmous 15mm needles. *grin*

That one finished fairly quickly, and I then decided to start a more difficult scarf... which is definitely taking longer. I got some lovely greenish wool yarn, and I'm attempting the "Besotted Scarf" on the free patterns page here. So, since that one seems to be fairly slow going for me so far, I've also started a hat (my first time working with DPN) and another scarf (which I call my "awesome scarf." Basically, every eight stitches or so I switch to another pattern. Or do whatever I feel like doing. It's pretty awesome so far, hee).

This site has been amazingly helpful so far. The only thing I was originally showed in person was the knit stitch, so everything else I've picked up on here. The videos especially... I'm amazed by all the work that went into them. So thanks a ton, Amy.

Now, before I go to sleep, I do have some questions if anyone happens to read this. (I might re-post later in appropriate threads.) First off, I'm having trouble with my tension - I'm holding the yarn wrapped around my pinky once and then around my index finger, but my index finger keeps wanting to come all the way in to rest against my needle, which makes my pinky stick out, and causes pain as well as makes the yarn either slip off my pinky, or just destroys any control I have over the yarn flow. Does anyone have any advice for this?

Also, as I have tendonitis in one wrist and other problems in the other, does anyone have any specific wrist braces they would recommend for knitting? I have several right now, but I've seen some special "knitting wrist braces" in yarn shops, and wonder if they're any better.

And lastly, since I'm trying all sorts of crazy stuff on my "amazing scarf," does anyone have links to pages that give shorts descriptions (/pictures?) of many different knit patterns? Not necessarily patterns for a particular garment or project, but just different repetitions of stitches to achieve certain looks/etc..

Er. Sorry for typing so much. Oh, and yeah, I'm a 19-year-old student living in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so making all these scarves will be really good for me with our winters. Ciao!

Angelia
01-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Hello and Welcome! :waving:

Re stitch patterns: This (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html) is a discloth pattern website, but it has wonderful examples of stitch patterns and repeats--I use it a lot!

Re holding yarn: Watch Amy's video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/knit.php) and try to mimic how she holds the yarn. (It takes practice and patience.) It sounds like your pinky finger is holding the yarn too tightly; remember to keep it relaxed.

You might also try holding your left needle VERY LOOSELY with your pinky and ring finger to allieviate stress; it takes some getting used to, certainly, but I find it easier on my left hand and wrist because it stabilizes those two fingers. (Mine want to roam about, too!)

Re wrist brace: I'm not sure about that, but I highly recommend (almost order, in fact), that you take breaks every 20 minutes or so and stretch your arms and wrists and fingers. Knitting can be all-absorbing (I know), but you want to avoid carpal tunnel! Try here (http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm) for exercises. They've really made a difference for me and most of the other knitters here. You want knitting to be comfortable and pain free, so get in the habit of stretching.

Welcome again, and please post pics of your work--we love that stuff! ;)

knittingachiever
01-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Hiya! :waving:

I'm a knitter in Pittsburgh, and I'm glad to be here. I'm already asking for your help - I posted a question about left-slanting decreases on the wrong side of a piece over on the How-To forum.

Nice to meet you!

Angelia
01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Hello there! :waving:

Ooh, Jeep_Girl (Lisa) lives in Pittsburgh! :thumbsup:

lovemysoldier73
01-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Hello to everyone....I am so excited to have found this awesome website. I picked up knitting last year while my hubby was deployed to Iraq. I probably knit over 30 scarves. Definintly helped to pass time and now he's home :heart: ....We have a new baby neice and i've decided to branch out and try something new so i'm making a baby blanket for her and just figured out what sk2p ment....This website has some awesome illustrations....N-eways hopefully i'll be knitting for our own baby soon until then i'll be learning......Nice to meet you all :XX:

knittingachiever
01-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Hello there! :waving:

Ooh, Jeep_Girl (Lisa) lives in Pittsburgh! :thumbsup:
Yay, more 'Burghers!

2muttmom
02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
This is such a great site. A women in Parker, CO told me about it but honestly I thought it wouldn't help me because I knit Continental style and have had such difficulty finding people to help me. My mom is from Germany so she was able to "show" me the stitches but didn't know the words for them in English or how to read the patterns. In short I didn't think I"d be able to move forward with my new-found past-time. Thanks, Amy for making this possible for me. I"m now working on this cute little red felted bag - it's going to be great! :XX:

Angelia
02-01-2006, 08:27 AM

bamaknit
02-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi! I'm a knitter from Birmingham, Alabama. I've been knitting for about 3 years, but I've just recently branched out from scarves and hats. I'm now working on mittens and socks and will hopefully work on my first sweater sometime in the spring. I've been knitting like a woman possessed for about 2 months now. It's like I can't stop! :XX:

I've enjoyed reading the board and have learned a lot. This board is FULL of great information! I've gotten so many ideas....much to the dismay of my checking account. :doh:

cozy
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
I've made one post, so let me back up & introduce myself. I've been knitting for just a little over 2 years & am seriously addicted. I started a blog last month & decided at the beginning of this year that I would be more adventurous. I also am going to be altruistic this year & knit Christmas gifts--I've already started because I have 3 kids & we're just extremely busy. I also peruse knitters review & am cozy there, as well.

Angelia
02-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Welcome, my fellow addicts! :waving:

Not An Artist
02-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi! I've been a fan of this site basically since I progressed past garter stitch scarves (after 15+ years of off and on knitting) and I never could have done it without it - lace, cables, even spit-splicing, it's all here.

A bit about me: I'm a Canuckian, living in Toronto and spending most of my free time knitting. I'm what I'd call an advanced novice -- I haven't done everything, but I can ususally figure out how and I'm always up for something new. My blog (http://notanartist.blogspot.com) is a pretty good record of my knitting activities; I'm currently trying to finish up a jacket before the Knitting Olympics (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/olympics2006.html) start and I begin my Hourglass Sweater...

Angelia
02-02-2006, 11:52 PM

Your blog is great! The cats are gorgeous! :heart: I perused your patterns list to-do list, and you've chosen wonderful ones. Bad JuJu is now on my must-knit list, and for the same reason you give: how could I not? ;)

JenniferRae
02-05-2006, 03:45 PM
:D Hi Everyone! I am a complete novice to this "knitting" business and so glad I found this website and forum! I look forward to meeting you all and discussing "knitting"!

I've tried teaching myself to knit before, but put it away after much "cursing", LOL!

So, I'm trying again, I so want to learn how to learn how to knit and make beautiful things!

A little about myself, I live in Texas, stay-at-home-mommy, happily married and have several hobbies including sewing. I sew my son's cloth diapers and enjoy doing that. After seeing some knitted "longies", I wanted to give a whirl at knitting!

Angelia
02-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Ingrid
02-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Welcome to all our new members! :waving: :waving:

knitzippy
02-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Hello all! I rediscovered knitting after a 10 year lapse, and I'm knitting hats for a charity project that sends wool clothing to afghanistan. It's called afghans for afghans.

Does anyone have any good children's hat patterns ( a web site maybe?) where I can use up my spare yarn? I love the free videos here--great place!

Jan in CA
02-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Welcome! And oh boy...do we have hat patterns for you! :roflhard:

A lot of people use this basic hat (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) pattern.

Here's a whole,humongous list (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php) of them. :)

knitzippy
02-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Thank you, Jan! I'll have lots of new hat patternst to try out. I found this site because it was mentioned on bookcrossing.com. Check that one out for some fun with books.

dustinac
02-06-2006, 09:43 AM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!!! :happydance:

AnreeAce
02-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi there!

I'm a pretty new knitter, 4 or 5 months I think, and I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this place. Between the videos and the forum, every question I've had so far has been answered before I even had to ask it. Wow!

So far I've completed a teddy bear sweater and I'm working on a Bayside Scarf. I want to learn how to cable, so I'm designing a cable scarf for my mom. She loves me so much she'll wear it no matter how it turns out! (Everyone should have a mom like mine.)

I started knitting because I got tired of waiting for someone to make me a gorgeous hand-knit sweater. It finally occurred to me that if I want a hand-knit sweater I should probably learn how to make it myself! I can't believe I waited so long to take this up; I've never had more fun sitting still.

So, that's my knitting career in a nutshell, a fumble-fingered novice with towering ambitions! I'm sure to be back posting tons of questions & hopefully some day I'll have a picture of that sweater I've always wanted.

Angelia
02-07-2006, 12:40 PM

Love your wry sense of humor; you'll fit right in here! ;)

Loolee
02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi! I am Loolee, a mom of two in TN. I have just started to knitt and so far, I have finished a scarf for my dd and a hat for my ds. :) I am really looking forward to becoming better as I am really enjoying this!

Thanks for such a great online resource!

Ingrid
02-07-2006, 10:10 PM
:waving: Hello and welcome to all!!

catontheroof
02-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Hi, I'm new to this site and to knitting. Just learned knitting last month.
I'm still in college and I live in Jakarta, Indonesia... well come to think about it maybe I'm the only Indonesian knitter here lol (I dont know many knitters in my area, maybe because of the hot climate, not so many people knit here... does it make sense? :thinking:)(It's hard to find a yarn shop here... *sigh* I could only gaze at all those beutiful yarns on the net...)

Anyway, this is a great site! The videos are great, esp as I'm so new to knitting and I've got a lot more to learn...

So far I've finished a pillow, a cellphone case, socks, and currently working on a scarf (though I dont wear scarves on daily basis bcuz of the hot weather... yeah maybe I'll just turn it into a belt or something... lol)

Angelia
02-08-2006, 08:12 AM

DotMom61
02-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome to everyone!!! Wow ... every time I get a chance to wander over to this thread, I am amazed at the number of new people AND the variety of places they are writing from! So Cool!

Someone had mentioned wrist pain in their post ... Kimira? Did I spell that right? I was going to mention that if you aren't already using them, switching to circular needles might do the trick. They require a lot less movement in your wrists and elbows, hence they seems to cause less stress. Plus, the cable helps to support the weight of your project.

Happy and pain-free knitting, everyone! :sunny:

LadyPurlT
02-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I learne how to knit in Sept 05 and since have done two scarves a stokinette, and the knit and purl block scarve, im doing another one now. I want my next project to be something more challenging..but not that hard cause im a perfectionist, i kinda want to do a hat but can never find one done on straight needles, instead of douple point or in the round which i dont know how to do, i also want to learn how to do tassles for my scarve but cant fine easy instructions, plez help me out and dont be fris to talk with me because im such a newbie

catontheroof
02-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Wrist pain? whoa I thought that was bcuz I hold it wrong or something (being a beginner and all...) Does working with small needle size cause more pain than big size? I heard somewhere someone got pain working with smaller needles, or something...

Anyway I love this forum! Everyone is so nice

Ingrid
02-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I learne how to knit in Sept 05 and since have done two scarves a stokinette, and the knit and purl block scarve, im doing another one now. I want my next project to be something more challenging..but not that hard cause im a perfectionist, i kinda want to do a hat but can never find one done on straight needles, instead of douple point or in the round which i dont know how to do, i also want to learn how to do tassles for my scarve but cant fine easy instructions, plez help me out and dont be fris to talk with me because im such a newbie

Check out www.knittingpatterncentral.com . They have all kinds of patterns, including hats on straights. Also if you check out the instruction section there, there are links for tassels.

There are also free patterns on this site, as well--tab on top.

And welcome! ;)

Angelia
02-09-2006, 09:24 AM

DotMom61
02-09-2006, 10:58 AM
And, LadyPurlT ... don't be afraid of knitting in the round!!! It's really fun and not nearly as difficult as it sounds. You can do it!

irislise
02-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi! I've just started Knitting. A friend of mine convienced me to take lessons with her on Saturday Mornings.

In the lessons we were to make a hat and a scarf. one more lesson and I'm done the hat! I finished it yesterday. There are many mistakes but I don't care! I'm so proud.

Now I'm making a scarf for my boyfriend to try the "change colours" but couldn't wait a whole week of no knitting before I learned. I found this website and the video was a PERFECT help. I'm now on my second colour for his scarf.

So I'm a budding new knitter who seems to be hooked (and addicted to yarn)

hopemartin
02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi,
I'm a new knitter and just found this place whilst doing a search for "K tbl." Come to find out that I've been doing K tbl instead of K since I started knitting last year. Yikes! :doh:

I'm a lefty and am not using a standard knitting method. Yet another thing I just found out.

Anyhoo, thought I'd just say Hi! and thanks for such a great site!

Ingrid
02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
:waving: Welcome one and all!

Angelia
02-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Welcome!! :waving:

sara_jayne
02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi! My name is Sara and I had my mom teach me to knit when I was home for Christmas. I had knit some when I was little (not that mom remembers!) and wanted to start again. I discovered quickly that I need to visually see how something is done so I was at a loss with my mom not being here (sheís in NY)! I feel so lucky that I was able to find this site - Amy's videos have been such a great help (even if I do have to watch them over and over again!).

I originally was just going to knit cat snuggles for a local animal shelter, but have become addicted! I've finished a baby blanket (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50561.html?noImages=0) for a friend, a few baby/preemie hats and I'm working on a scarf for my sister. Of course I have 100 other things I want to knit...pacing myself is difficult (and there isnít enough money!)! I did my first baby hat on DPNs (learned from the videos) and Iím so excited that Iíll never have to stitch another seam!

These boards have been very helpful - the knowledge is priceless and the tips have really helped me become a better knitter! My husband is thrilled that I've started knitting it means I'm calmer and not coming up with a long list of things to do for him!

Take care,
Sara

Angelia
02-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Welcome, Sara! :waving:

Now you can create long to-do lists for yourself! ;)

Andrea
02-14-2006, 08:04 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!!

mbknits
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi -- My name is Lee - I joined the site a few weeks ago. One of the ladies in the knitting group that I attend told me about your site. That was just a few days before I flew out to Colorado to visit my daughter -- it came in really handy b/c I taught a lady on the plane to do the knit and purl stitch!!! I also told her about your site. I have only been knitting since March 05 and just love it love it love it! I have been crocheting for about 20 + years - but only with thread. I just love all this yarn!!! I live in Myrtle Beach with my husband and 2 boyz (Bernie and Zapper - who are rat terriers). My human children are grown and both associated with the USA!! I have used this site many many times and just love it!!! :XX:

Angelia
02-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Welcome, Lee! :waving:

Rose662
02-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello all :)

I'm new here and I am also a novice knitter. I'm 43, married, and live in NJ.

I have been a self-taught beginner crocheter for some time now (about a year) and now I am trying to learn how to knit.

I found this website knitting help.com through a google search. Very impressive site you have here, Ingrid. :D
I like the how-to videos. I'm a visual learner and they will help me a lot.

Thank you for having me here and I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone. :D

DotMom61
02-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Very impressive site you have here, Ingrid.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Rose -- please forgive me for laughing so hard, but it's actually Amy who put the site together. Ingrid has just developed quite a reputation for being a massively prolific poster. So, please, I'm not laughing at you, I'm just cracking up because it was bound to happen sooner or later that someone would think Ingrid, with her 10,000+ posts, was the one who started the site.

I don't know what we'd do without her, though, 'cause she's a WEALTH of information!!! She's helped just about everyone on here out of some sort of bind or another.

OK ... I've calmed down a bit now ... welcome to our little community Rose, and thank you so much for my big giggle of the day! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Angelia
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Poor Ingy... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ingrid
02-16-2006, 08:06 PM
:waving: Amy's the queen of knitting videos and created this wonderful site.

I'm just someone who hangs out here a lot. ;) Actually, you're not the first to assume this; someone once wrote that they had 'discovered' my secret and that I'm 'really Amy.'

There are pictures of together, if you need proof! :rofling:

Sara
02-17-2006, 01:58 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

nurseratchit
02-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site and I mistakenly posted my intro as a "new topic" under general knitting. Ummm, does anyone know how I can move it to the appropriate thread? :oops: Or just come say hi to me on my misplaced thread (ironically apropos!)

Christine

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 02:23 PM
That's not a problem AT ALL!! People do it all the time. Welcome, wherever you may be posted! :waving:

Angelia
02-17-2006, 07:12 PM

dplantlady
02-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Oh well,

When I found this site, I was so gung ho trying to find answers to my questions & such, I went to the "help" forum first.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a knitter from way back in my youth who has only recently taken up the needles again, due to the prodding of a friend of mine...anyway, she dragged me along to a LYS for classes & I thought, heck, why not, I've got alot of time right now...(as you may have guessed from my handle, I do outside work, which just ain't happenin' right at the moment...)

I was absolutely *stunned* when I began looking around at the yarns during a break in the class. Simply amazing what they're doing with yarns at this point! What absolutely *FUN* stuff!!! I want to use 'em all! When I was knitting, the most interesting stuff you could get was like mohair or variegated yarn. What a reaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy l---o---n---g way the industry has come!

And felting...OMG...I *MUST* do many more of these projects! I made & felted a cat basket (it came out GREAT! [if I do say so myself]), and I'd love to do the clogs that folks are doing in the KAL forum, but it'll have to wait until I start working again...a bit short on the green stuff right now...

Anyway, I've "frogged" a couple of never-quite-finished projects for yarn, and I'm knitting little mats for shelter cats & preemie hats for one of our local hospitals. Getting really adventurous with patterns & techniques, trying things I've never done before. It's great fun!

Diane

Angelia
02-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Welcome, Diane! :waving:

momwolf
02-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Welcome to the best knitting forum around :XX: I'm new also and don't know what I would do without them :wall: Just ask these wonderful people anything . Glad you joined us :D

Julie

aylaanne
02-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Hello! I just learned how to knit after I took a class where it seemed that a good half of the students knitted during the lecture. I've discovered that this is a great way for me to feel like I've accomplished something in an otherwise boring lecture class. Unfortunately, as a senior nursing student, I only have one such class, the rest of my classes are practicums, and there isn't much time to knit during those.

I came upon this site and I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea! Many thanks to Amy for putting up this great site! Incidentally, Amy lives in the same area as I do, which makes it even more of a great find, and I'm hoping to purchase web hosting from her husband soon, since I lose mine as soon as I graduate.

I'm looking forward to posting, getting assistance, giving assistance, and doing a little bragging about my FOs. :D

ayla

Angelia
02-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Welcome, Ayla! :waving:

Looking forward to seeing your work!

aylaanne
02-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Welcome, Ayla! :waving:

Looking forward to seeing your work!
Thanks! Right now I'm working on a hooded baby blanket for a girlfriend of mine whose birth will coincide with my graduation. Next I'm going to make the same blanket in different yarn for another girlfriend whose birth will coincide with my wedding in July. :doh:

I'm also working on soap holders with some worsted weight yarn I bought to practice different knitting stitches. I was trying the continental method of knitting but I kept splitting my yarn. I might go back to it later.

Angelia
02-19-2006, 04:17 PM
I knit continental, so here's a tip that might help you avoid splitting your yarn: when you insert the right needle into the stitch, open the stitch up wide and scoop the yarn in with your right needle. (I use my left middle finger to help guide the yarn.) Opening the stitch wide won't affect how your stitch looks once you're done--you won't be making it bigger--but it will allow you more control over how the right needle tackles the yarn, thus less or no splitting.

dustinac
02-19-2006, 07:44 PM
:cheering: just wanted to say welcome to everyone!!! :happydance:

Ingrid
02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
:waving: :waving: Welcome everyone!! :D

nurseratchit
02-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately, as a senior nursing student, I only have one such class, the rest of my classes are practicums, and there isn't much time to knit during those.

Hi Aylaanne!

I am a nurse also (10 years). Welcome to the site...I'm new here too and a new knitter. My first "original" project was a stethoscope cover---now I've got everyone at work letting me know I can make them one too! :lol:

Good luck in your last year of school and enjoy those boring lectures/knitting opportunites while you can!

aylaanne
02-20-2006, 02:02 AM
My first "original" project was a stethoscope cover---now I've got everyone at work letting me know I can make them one too! :lol:

Good luck in your last year of school and enjoy those boring lectures/knitting opportunites while you can!

Do you have a pattern for that stethoscope cover? That sounds interesting, and I bet I'd never lose my stethoscope....

nurseratchit
02-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Do you have a pattern for that stethoscope cover? That sounds interesting, and I bet I'd never lose my stethoscope....

I don't have a pattern...I just kind of winged it. I knitted a very long narrow rectangle and and then just sewed the edges around the stethoscope with the same yarn. Then I weaved a string of the yarn through the top around the arms so it doesn't slide down & so I can untie it to slide it off and wash it when I need too.

I had fallen in love with this yarn that I just had to have with no project in mind (I'm sure NO ONE here can relate with that :!: ) It's made by http://konabay.com/yarn/yarn5.html called Sizzling. It is ssooo soft! And it's fluffy so you don't really see the stitches and you can't tell where the seam is which I like. I think a chenille type yarn would be nice too. I'll take a picture of it and post it when I get a chance.

I hadn't had a cover for my last stethoscope and recently had noticed that I was hearing a lot of diminished lung sounds and then discovered the hole in my tubing :oops: . So, I figured I'd protect my investment a little longer this time and of course have an excuse to knit!

I am going to make one for a friend this week so I'll try to pay more attention but I'm sure you could wing it too---just let that creative child run wild! And you're right...I never lose my stethoscope now!

Doublereeder2
02-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi . I have been lurking as a non-member for about a year, then decided to become a member last month. I have only been knitting for a little over year but absolutely love it.
I am a musician as is my husband and I teach private lessons as well as perform.
And I just joined the KH webring!!

momwolf
02-20-2006, 11:34 AM
:cheering: Glad you finally jumped aboard , like the rest of us newbies

liya
02-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I love this website, where I'm at here in Maryland not many people knit, we have more that are only into sewing. This is a great place to get many answers for questions I've always had!

Liya

ecb
02-20-2006, 08:19 PM
but I seem to be a Natural :heart:
I learned from a plastic laminated cardboard thing I found at a UPS store
Turns out the instructions showed me how to knit in the back loops, so all my Stitches were twisted :oops:
but I stuck to it enough to make a Dozen or more scarfes for Christmas / Soltace Gifts. :cheering:
Then I got a Illustrated book that showed me a LOT of neat stuff
and I learned what I was doing wrong :doh:

Since then I acta]ually Knit freehand a Doll with clothes for my Kids School auction, and a Bunch of Balls and toys for kids, and created a Bunch of off the cuff patterns for myself

I am REALLY digging this :thumbsup:

Otherwise
I am a mother of 3, and I have NO life
all my time is spent knitting, caring for my kids or my Mom
or sometimes helping a friend with her cleaning buisness, or helping the school with activeties or trips

Angelia
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM

craftymom
02-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Hello, I'm new to this site. What a wonderful place. I'm a crocheter who has picked up knitting needles for the occasional eyelash scarf but have never really gotten into anything hard. I bought the Learn to Knit book by Debbie Bliss in early January and knitted the pieces for the child's sweater with the slash neck for my 4 year old daughter. I've been staring at the pieces because I couldn't figure out her instructions to put them together. I found your site because I was trying to find someone to tell me how to do that. I picke up the pieces yesterday and played with them and I think I figured it out but it's nice to have a place where you can get your questions answered. I do know that I need to learn how to do the continental method. It reminds me of crocheting. The video is awesome and it doesn't look as hard as I thought it would.

Debbie

vtsunflower
02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
I cannot tell you how excited I was to stumble upon this website. Your videos have been INCREDIBLY helpful. I have just started knitting and anxious to try things other that scarfs and your videos have given me the confidence to try!
Thank you again!

Angelia
02-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Welcome all!! :waving:

April410
02-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi all!
After almost a year of lurking in this great forum, I thought I would finally introduce myself. :blush: I taught myself to knit from an old McCall's Knit/Crochet Encyclopedia. My mom gave it to me- it's where she learned how to knit when she was younger. I've finished a few little things- a couple of scarves, a hat, a felted Lopi tote bag and a Clapotis. I just got a huge order from Knitpicks (LOVE that place!) and I'm just starting my Clapotis #2. I don't have a digital camera yet (I know, I know, I'm behind the times) so I probably won't post a lot of pics. I usually will get my pics developed on a disc so when I do have pics, I'll be sure to share! :D

ScatteredGemini
02-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi there!

Just dropping a note to introduce myself.

I'm Suz. I live in Maryland and have been knitting since last April. I stumbled across this sight while searching for other knitters in Maryland.

My current project is "Branching Out" from Knitty...thank the Goddess for life-lines!!

If anyone is interested, i've created a brand new SnB yahoo group that will begin meeting in Westminster on March 1st.

I'm glad i stumbled upon this group! I've already learned new ways to use my NeedleMaster set, thanks!!

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
:waving: :waving: Welcome everyone!!

Angelia
02-22-2006, 08:18 PM

karmamonkey
02-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Hi, I'm Michelle ~ I am new to knitting, I started a month ago after buying my sister a "How to Knit Kit" and one night I was sitting watching TV with her and she was trying out her knit kit and I thought "That looks really fun" and the next day I went out and bought a pair of needles and a skien of yarn to play with and I have been hooked ever since! :D :heart:

nurseratchit
02-23-2006, 03:23 AM
Welcome Michelle!

Angelia
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Welcome, Michelle! :waving:

JoshieLove
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
'Ehllo everyone.

My name's Josh... feel free to call me Josh or Joshie Love, I go by both (long story). I'm 21 and living in Michigan. Anyways, I'm completely new to this whole knitting scene. I had an ex-boyfriend that knit, I watched him work on this scarf one time and thought it was pretty interesting. He tried to teach me but I was more concentrated on.... erhm.... other things.

To make a long story short (too late), I needed a new beanie a few days ago and went shopping to look for one. I was telling one of my friends about my current beanie situation and she said she could knit me one. Well, that's all she had to say for my interest to peak. So, I'm heading out to the fabric store tonight and I'm hopefully going to slowly work my way to making some schweet beanies for myself. I hope to have one for everyday of the year. Haha. Not really, but ya know.

Well, hope to get to know everyone. :)

aylaanne
02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse. :D I look forward to watching your addiction develop!

Angelia
02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Welcome, Joshie Love!! :waving:

Ingrid
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi there! :waving:

chie96
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Hello! I am new here and really want to learn how to knit (especially for my daughters, 4 and 2). Our local Library had knitting classes recently but I was unable to attend. I have been online the past few nights looking at different sites and was lucky to find this site, with the "How To" videos. I have a few questions, but will post them seperately. Have a nice night!

knit-a-holic
02-25-2006, 12:27 AM
I've been knitting for about a year now, and have been searching all over for websites for knitting, but haven't found one I like until I came across knittinghelp.com. I am so glad I found this website! :heart: It is a tremendous help and I can always come here if I can't find anyone that can help me. This is my knitting resource. I love all the videos and they're extremely helpful. Thank you!!! :D

punkhippiemom
02-25-2006, 01:29 AM
My name's Josh... feel free to call me Josh or Joshie Love, I go by both (long story).
Oh, you are so going to be known as Joshie Love.... I just :heart: that... my BIL is Josh, I'll try that on him next time I see him :roflhard:

Welcome to all the new knitters - nice to see so many lurkers coming out of the wood work!!! I too was a lurker, didn't even KNOW about this awesome forum for the longest time.... :crying:

You'll love it here, glad to meet you all!

nurseratchit
02-25-2006, 01:33 PM
This site is habit-forming and you will learn ssooo much and connect with a bunch of really cool albeit knitting-obsessed people!

knit-a-holic
02-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Hey All! :D
Glad that it's the weekend! I'll be knitting to my heart's content. That'll be my productivity. ;)

Ingrid
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, we knitters consider sitting on the couch and knitting a productive weekend. ;)

dustinac
02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
:waving: Hey everyone and welcome to the forum!!!

MsShelle
02-26-2006, 08:32 PM
The videos have been a lifesaver to me many times. The loop stitch was used for a scarf and the videos taught me that cables are not scary. When I was first learning, I was very frustrated. I could not bring my knitting instructor with me everywhere. So imagine my joy when I found the videos. I sat there intent, needles and yarn in hand, ready to learn. And then it clicked! I was knitting. Scarves, hats, ponchos, sweaters, purses, and mittens! I was knitting! :XX:

Even as I have gained more experience, I still return to the videos to see what else I can learn. And I recommend the website to all knitting friends who are struggling.

TY TY TY For the videos, patterns, tips, and now this forum. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

As for my personal 411:
I am a 29 year old wife and mother of 4 dds. Ages range from 9-6 w/ 7 year old twins in the middle.
I am a full-time college student pursuing a degree in Social Work. I plan on becoming a clinical SW with emphasis on women/children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
I started knitting this past July and confess I am an addict!
I love knitting purses!

I'm outgoing and fun. I love meeting people and always ask a ton of questions!

MsShelle
02-26-2006, 08:33 PM
The videos have been a lifesaver to me many times. The loop stitch was used for a scarf and the videos taught me that cables are not scary. When I was first learning, I was very frustrated. I could not bring my knitting instructor with me everywhere. So imagine my joy when I found the videos. I sat there intent, needles and yarn in hand, ready to learn. And then it clicked! I was knitting. Scarves, hats, ponchos, sweaters, purses, and mittens! I was knitting!

Even as I have gained more experience, I still return to the videos to see what else I can learn. And I recommend the website to all knitting friends who are struggling.

TY TY TY For the videos, patterns, tips, and now this forum. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

As for my personal 411:
I am a 29 year old wife and mother of 4 dds. Ages range from 9-6 w/ 7 year old twins in the middle.
I am a full-time college student pursuing a degree in Social Work. I plan on becoming a clinical SW with emphasis on women/children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
I started knitting this past July and confess I am an addict!
I love knitting purses!

I'm outgoing and fun. I love meeting people and always ask a ton of questions!

Angelia
02-26-2006, 08:37 PM

You're going to fit in here just fine! :D

Please post photos of your work!

seabear
02-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Hello, My name is Kathy and I am trying knitting again after having tried to teach it to myself about 15 years ago. Now I have a sisterinlaw and motherninlaw to help me. They live close by but not near enough to ask daily questions. Glad to find this place. Tried the videos and learned a lot.

I knitted myself a scarf and am now working on a very simple roll raglan sweater.

Angelia
02-27-2006, 07:29 AM

Hilda
02-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I've been lurking for a long time. I love this site - I don't know how I found it but have been using it for almost a year when I started knitting again.

Love the forum as well - I learn so much.

Beware, I'll be asking for a lot of help from you folks out there.

I'm supposed to be working right now so have to get back at it for now.

Hilda :cheering:

bjc1050
02-27-2006, 03:34 PM
You've been here longer than I. But WELCOME! :D

Allegra's Dad
02-27-2006, 04:07 PM
:XY: :XY: :XY:

Hey there everyone!
My daughter got me hooked on this site about two weeks ago, and i visit daily.
I have been knitting for about 45 years and beleive me, there probably isn't anything I haven't knitted. Just finished an entrelac throw. Now workig on two different baby blankets for friends.
Then I have, oh, a beautiful lace tablecloth (oval) I'm doing out of silkywool, which went on the side to finish these last projects. And, I'd hate to tell you the amounts of various totally yummy yarns I have for about ten other projects.
Anyway, visit my "Guys Knit Too!" blog for some pics if you want.

Tom

punkhippiemom
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
:waving: Hi, Allegra's Dad!!!This guy isn't joking, he is hardcore!!! :rofling:
MsShelle, seabear (:lol: all I can think of is that SpongeBob episode with the seabear... anyone else KWIM??), Hilda, anyone else I missed... Welcome!!! This is IMnot soHO the best knitting site on the web.... :thumbsup:

seabear
02-27-2006, 07:54 PM
MsShelle, seabear (:lol: all I can think of is that SpongeBob episode with the seabear... anyone else KWIM??)

Ha ha! Never seen spongebob. Must watch it sometime. I live in Seattle and my cat is named Bear. That is how original I am. Sad, I know.

Kathy

knitaholic
02-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I've been knitting for about a year now, and have been searching all over for websites for knitting, but haven't found one I like until I came across knittinghelp.com. I am so glad I found this website! :heart: It is a tremendous help and I can always come here if I can't find anyone that can help me. This is my knitting resource. I love all the videos and they're extremely helpful. Thank you!!! :D

Welcome to the site--I'm also a Knitaholic; I spell mine altogether, though. I love this site also, and have received answers to many questions. It really is a tremendous help.

Knitaholic

knit-a-holic
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM

Welcome to the site--I'm also a Knitaholic; I spell mine altogether, though. I love this site also, and have received answers to many questions. It really is a tremendous help.

Knitaholic

Cool. Another knitaholic! :D I have found this site to be really helpful for all my knitting questions. I'm on here daily now. It's like my daily dose of the newspaper each morning. ;) Haha. I can't wait to get to my knitting. Too bad I have class tonight. :( (Maybe I should knit in class...hmm...) :devil:

kellyh57
03-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi. I just learned how to knit. I work at Michaels (teach cake decorating) and I've always loved the knitting instructor's work. So, I finally took her class. I only had time to figure out how to cast on, knit stitch, and bind off. So I came here and learned purling and I'm working on adding stitches and changing colors and all that fun stuff. I'm currently knitting a simple blanket for my BIL's baby due in 1 1/2 weeks! I have a "scarf" that I'm learning new things on. I doubt anyone will wear it, but I like to practice techniques before I do them for real! I learned purl on it and tried stockinette there too so it looks really silly :)

Anyway...I'm mostly a stay-at-home mommy to Grant (3) and Jared (1). I'm in Kansas City, MO. I'm already planning on blankets for everyone I know for Christmas gifts! I'm cheap and I hate shopping- especially for others- so I can't wait to start giving my knitted items!

Kelly

Ingrid
03-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Welcome everyone!!

Kelly H.--If you're planning on making blankets for Christmas, start now! :roflhard: We all have these wonderful plans for the holidays, and somehow never quite make all the things we thought we'd have time for!

punkhippiemom
03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
:waving: I second that!!
One of the reasons I first took up knitting was to make gifts, but it's a lot harder than it sounds, especially blankets!! :oo:

Welcome to the forums! :D

sune42
03-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Well, thought I would say hello. My name is Amanda and I am pretty new to knitting, about 4 months now I guess, and I am really enjoying it. I also make soap and I am getting ready to start school. I am 25 and married, but with no kids. I am looking forward to learning here. Oh, and I can't spell and already I am a yarn whore. I :heart: my stash.

Ingrid
03-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Sounds like you'll fit right in here, then! Welcome! There are some days I think I knit just as an excuse to have the yarn! ;)

tmsl
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I've been lurking for a while and started the hourglass sweater as a result of the knit-a-long thread. I have been knitting off and on for a couple of years but basically throws and scarves. I have just started looking for sweater patterns and have a few on my "to do" list. Socks are also on my list to learn and I have recently added sock yarn to my stash.

I love Amy's videos and can't thank her enough for putting this site together. It helped me over the weekend to do a SSK which seems simple now that I have done it. Watching her video while I was doing the stitch was wonderful and gave me so much confidence that I was doing it correctly.

Hope to chat with everyone, soon.

Laura

jp
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
As I try to teach myself to knit and pick up on the knitting ling, some things make no sense at all! I found this site while looking for HELP! I have gotten so much information and I love the 'how to' vidoes. Awesome site! Thanks for all your help.

JP

nykoto
03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi all! I am originally a sometime crochet person. I got a How to Knit kit for Christmas and now I cannot stop! I am working on a simple stockinette st sweater and attempted socks to match! (The yarn was on sale natch) I have found that I can be captivated by reading a knitting pattern like a good book. Hope to talk to ya'll lots!

bjc1050
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi and welcome!. That's partly how my knitting addiction got restarted...a knitting kit purchased during the holidays plus Knifty Knitter round looms and rectangular loom. The kit included plastic needles which I don't like. Haven't tried the Knifty Knitter looms, yet. Decided to learn to knit inthe round with more versatile needles. I crochet sometimes, too. Just been focused on knitting at this point.

beckyrhae
03-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm new to knitting and I just want to say that your site is awesome!

Its going to help so much!

I started with a loom knitting kit, but I quickly felt too constricted by it. I'm now in the quest to learn continental knitting and learning all I can. This is great! OH! I found this site thru a Boston Terrier board and a member that knitted a sweater for her bostie.

beckyrhae
03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi! My name is Becky and I'm new to knitting. I started a few months ago with a knifty knitter loom set but it didnt take too long before I wanted to learn to knit for real.

I've bought several learn to knit books and kits and I'm having some success, but these videos are WONDERFUL!

I just want to thank you for such a great resource.

IrishBaby
03-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Hello there! I've been to this fantastic site so many times, and can't believe I never noticed the forums.

I've been a knitter for 17 years and love to talk about knitting. :)

Danielle
03-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Welcome to all the new members! :waving:

GrannyO
03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
:oops: I have just recently found this forum and not sure if I'm doing this right. I love knitting...have only been doing it for a few wks. I decided that THIS old dog can learn a new trick and bought a bk and needles and here I am. LOL.
Olliene aka GrannyO :thumbsup: [/b]

Ingrid
03-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Welcome everyone! :waving:

dustinac
03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
:cheering: Welcome everyone to the forum!!! :happydance:

WildStrawberry
03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm Kae, been knitting for about 3 months and have tired myself out on scarves. I'm currently working on doing washcloths and dishcloths for Christmas presents.

I'm also trying to work up the courage to try to knit a pair of socks. I found Silver's site and just have to get to the store and get some dpns and yarn. (oh the horror! :D )

My other hobbies are reading and snuggling with my cats.

Can't wait to get to know all of you!

Kae

knittnl
03-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Hello,

I'm new too. I've been crocheting very basic things for years, but I wanted to learn how to knit so I am taking a class. It's been a lot of fun! We're learning how to make a scarf.

Niki

AnreeAce
03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
:D

Welcome to all the new members!

You've found the perfect place to learn, everyone here is so kind & generous with their knowledge.

May all your projects turn out well!

Sweet_Thang
03-16-2006, 05:01 AM
Greetings! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Lexie and I am from Houston TX. I just started to learn how to knit back in January and I am loving it. Who'd a thunk you could teach a 38 yr old a new trick??? :roflhard:

I have finished two fun scarfs (one was an assignment from the teacher I am taking classes from). Those were neat to do!

And I am currently working on
1. Baby Afghan (that I have only ripped out 15 times and started over and over ) *there's my obsession of perfectionism coming oug*
2. Shrug, (the Panobo on the Berroco website) *another project from my teacher was to do a wearable*

I really have enjoyed this site and look forward to posting more and getting to know everyone!

Lexie

Sissy
03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
I love this site.............. :XX: .My name is Amy and I'm in Texas.My user name is Sissy after my puppy dog. ;)
I have an intermediate knitter,I think. I am getting obsessed with knitting, cant get enough.........Glad to meet all of you,Amy :XX:

amy
03-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Welcome Niki, Lexie and Amy! ...And others as well!!

Treeling
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi, everyone! So nice to meet you all!

I'm Treeling, and I've been knitting for a few years. I taught myself, not surprisingly the deep south (I learned in Louisiana and now live in the remnants of Gulf Coast Mississippi) lacks yarn shops and knitting circles. So what if it's only cool enough for wool 2 weeks out of the year! That's at least 14 items everyone should knit, right??? I'd still call myself something of an "advanced beginner" because compared to, oh, Amy's beautiful afghan, my little scarves and blankets and hats are none too grand.

Nevertheless, I've taught a knitting class to a group of inner-city middle schoolers (they loved it, boys and girls!) and am currently rallying a charity knitting group at http://immeritus.org/index.php where I'm a moderator (we're calling ourselves SPEW in Hermione Granger's honor-- the Society to Promote Everyone's Warmth).

I've linked my future fiber-ers (many first timers) at SPEW back to knittinghelp, and everyone is (of course) raving about how helpful it is. Although I own many knitting tomes (even after Katrina ate several :( ), this site is hands-down my best resource in the absence of live knitters from whom to learn.

In the past, I've knit and crocheted many scarves and hats, an afghan, etc.

I am currently working on (I have fibering ADD):

1 scarf
1 hat
2 socks (not matching :blush: )
and planning a baby blanket for Project Linus

Jenelle
03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Welcome all new members! :waving: :waving: :waving:

khitten
03-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm Michelle and have I have just started to teach myself to knit. I'm 35 years old, but I used to love to crochet when I was young, knitting too, but the needles were so big it just wasn't as fun to me then. My LYS is about 25 miles away and thankfully they give knitting help for free on Thursdays and Sundays. I, like several people here it seems, picked up a knitting kit at a local store, because it was on clearance. Yeah... today I spent a little over $100 on needles and yarn. So much for a cheap hobby. I fear I will be spending much more in the future, but I figure you can't really put a pricetag on sanity. I've also discovered that my teaching has made me go backwards. I now knit far too tight to make and decernable pattern. Obviously I have a lot of work ahead of me but I'm glad there's a resource like this one that I can go to when I can't progress more on my own or can't figure out knit speak. Thanks. Can't wait for the day that maybe I can help someone that is learning with a problem.

Ingrid
03-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Welcome Khitten and Treeling! You've come to the right place. ;)

iza
03-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Isabelle and I live in Montreal, Canada. My mom showed me how to knit when I was little, and I stopped for a very long time until recently. I consider myself as a beginner since all the knitting I did as a child was in garter stitch, more or less rectangular, and never finished! :D I learned thanks to this website how to purl, decrease, increase and I now have the basics to do bigger projects. I have a LOT of projects in my head and very little time, but the important thing is that I am having so much fun knitting! I have never done anything "crafty" before in my life so this is really exciting! I wish my grandmother was still alive, she was an amazing knitter and I'm sure she would be happy to see me perpetuating the tradition.

DotMom61
03-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Wow. I just checked the memberlist, and we now have 3,507 members!!! Amazing!!

Welcome to all the newcomers!! :waving:

dustinac
03-17-2006, 08:24 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone to the forum!! :happydance:

kadishiraven
03-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi guys,

I'm a knitter from Montana who sits in solitary, woolen glory while surrounded by mountains of acrylic... although there are some nice, tiny local places including the Knit Wit, in Missoula, if you're interested.

I just found knitting forums today. I think they rock.

I'm always looking for things to put on the backs of sweaters because I get bored.

Does anybody know a better way to reinforce sock toes with nylon than to just hold the nylon together with the wool? I find it hard to tension.

Glad to meet you all!

Malena
03-18-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm a new, self-taught knitter - but after 2 scarves, I needed something more! I decided on a turquoise felted purse, with Navajo wool and a little Squiggle thrown in. Didn't know how to pick up the stitches on the bottom, though - but what should I find but the video at knittinghelp! I went right to it the other day and I'm moving right along. Thanks!

I'm hooked on Norwegian knitting blogs right now, although I recognize probably 5 or 6 words of Norwegian. My favorite is madebymanne.com - she blogs in English and knits wonderful things. I can't wait to share with other knitters and learn all I can.

Malena
:sunny:

Ingrid
03-18-2006, 09:09 AM
:waving: :waving: Welcome!!

knitstress_tygher
03-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm so happy to have found this site! The videos are incredibly helpful, and just what I've looked through here in the forums is delightfully helpful too!

I learned how to knit a year ago, when a friend of mine I was visiting taught me during a 6 hour drive to Toronto. I haven't put down the needles since .. well, not for long anyway. Now I've taught a friend of mine here, and together we knit the day away, since neither of us are working.

I haven't taken on anything more than a rectangle, though I'm playing around with different stitches and such.

wends
03-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Hello everyone!

My name is Wendy and I'm a 29 year old kooky Canadian. I just found this site today and have decided to not let knitting intimidate me. It has for a long while and I think I just need to tackle it head on and practice.

I love to crochet so I do a lot of that and I actually do have knitting needles somewhere but I cannot find them to save my life. So, I'll be buying new ones and starting this trek of mine.

I saw the post of the beautiful afghan that some of the members sent to Amy and I was blown away...and admittedly jealous, lol. It came out just so gorgeous! Fantastic work.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and that I hope to expand into a knitting fiend. I must not let it intimidate me!

Wendy

Ingrid
03-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Welcome Wendy! Knitting is fun, not intimidating! It's just sticks and string. ;)

BettyBea
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
yep! I've used forums in a VERY limited way in the past ... However?
I may have just found my new home! :heart:

So who am I? Just me. I like to knit. LOVE to knit I should say. LOVE to read! And cannot wait to get me an iPod so I can LISTEN to my books while I KNIT! WOW.

Ok... so I'm a bit a.d.d. :oops:

Um.... I'm coming up on my year of Jubilee next year ;-) And I am WAY excited! I home educate my daughters and have graduated one in '98 and the next in line will be May of this year. My baby is 16!

I have an 11 year old Golden retriever - a cat named Biscuit and I've been married most of my life!

How's that? :lol:

knitqueen
03-21-2006, 06:51 PM
WELCOME!! :D

rebecca
03-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Welcome, betty!! sounds like you will be right at home here!!! we are ALL KNITTING ADDICTS :rofling: :roflhard: and proud of it :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
03-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you'll fit right in! Welcome!! :cheering:

Rennagayle
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Welcome, BettyBea! We seem to have many similarities. I am also from a southern state (Texas), and I am a former homeschooler. My dd just turned 22, but I homeschooled her from the 3rd through 12th grade. We had an 11 year old golden retriever (half lab, actually) until recently, when diabetes got the best of her :crying:, and I just came upon my year of jubilee. :lol:

Oh, and I LOVE to knit, too, though I'm not that good at it yet. :wall: I'm working on it and improving, though. :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing you around here, and if you're interested in a supportive homeschooling forum, check out my link below. :D

Ingrid
03-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Welcome Betty! I was never a forum person, either, but look at me now! :rofling: This place is great!!

Cristy
03-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi there! Welcome!

marley
03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
I've visiting the site countless times, but only recently joined. I have been taking knitting classes since the fall. Even so, I frequently journey to this site to figure out this or that stitch/technique. I started knitting because I wanted to learn something new. As it turns out, it has become a highly addictive hobby -- I haven't met a project I haven't liked! I love felting -- hats, purses, slippers. The forgiving nature of felting helped me build my confidence while teaching me a zillion new techniques. I am now working my way toward projects where you can still see my stitches. My first sweater and socks are wearable, so I think I'm doing OK.

Now, if I can only find a way to make a living knitting . . .

marley
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Umm, I meant to post this with the welcome comments. Sorry!

I never thought I'd be better at knitting than with technology.

sfavereau
03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Welcome Betty Bea!

I love listening to audiobooks while I knit! It's perfect!

If you do get an ipod, try this website for really great audio books.

http://www.audible.com

Hope you'll have as much fun here as I do.

BinkyKat
03-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Hooooowwwwww Deeeeeee!
Welcome!!

wildforyarn
03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Welcome BettyBea!! :waving: You probably did find a second home among all of us addicts! :lol:

Danielle
03-21-2006, 10:59 PM
:waving: Welcome Betty! You will :heart: it here!

by the way, I was homeschooled and graduated in '04! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
03-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Where ever you are, welcome!

If you find out how to make a living knitting, PLEASE share!!

Tammy6071
03-21-2006, 11:08 PM
:waving: Welcome Betty!! You'll have fun here!

Tammy6071
03-21-2006, 11:15 PM
:waving: Welcome Marley! I started knitting a few months ago, and never thought I would attempt half the things I have. My biggest ambition was to be able to knit a hat and scarf. Now Ive worked on bags, hats, scarves, dog sweaters, and I never in a million years thought I would knit a pair of socks, but Im half way through my second sock! Every finished project gives me the confidence to go on and try something new!

feministmama
03-21-2006, 11:31 PM

Amber
03-22-2006, 03:05 AM

Amber
03-22-2006, 03:06 AM
Now, if I can only find a way to make a living knitting . . .

Heh, heh! Me too! Let me know if you find out!

Jan in CA
03-22-2006, 03:26 AM
Make a living knitting... :thinking: That would be NICE! Welcome to the forum!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-22-2006, 05:03 AM
:waving: hi!

you can always spread your knitting wings with a Knit along! Check out the KAL forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) and see what's what.... we're starting a design your own sweater in a week or 2...if you can knit, purl, decrease, and multiply you know alllll you need to know!

BettyBea
03-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Ok ... so like I said ... I'm new!
And a little overwhelmed, I might add!

Thank you for the WARM reception!
And forgive the slow response?
It took me awhile to figure out 'where' I was!

So anyway? I'm checking out blogs now ...
subbing to them with Bloglines and hoping
to make tons of new friends!

:heart:

mrosen
03-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi all,

I have been using this forum for about 3-4 months now, so I figured it was high time I introduce myself. My name is Melissa and I live in Richmond, VA. I am 36 years old and have been married for 12 years. I have been a graphic designer for the past 7 years and before that had various jobs trying to make use of my business degree (but then went back to school and earned an art degree). I am in the process of moving out of the hands-on design realm and into the project management (PM) realm. To this end, I am taking a PM class and plan to study for my PMP (Project Management Profesional) certification exam.

I started knitting last fall. I am just now finishing my second project (some of you might remember my first--I posted a pic of the monogrammed baby blanket). This second project, a shrug, actually looks pretty good but I think it is going to be a tad small on me. I did not take into account that the wideness of my upper arms will make the sleeves appear short. Though, I even added 15 rows to the arms to try and account for that. I am tired of ripping and re-working, and since I have sewn most of it together already, I will probably just deal with it being small, as it is time to move on to another project. Maybe I can just look at it as an incentive to lose a bit of weight! (now if only my thyroid would cooperate).

I have already received great help and advice from various people here at KH. I am looking forward to making friends, and to the day when I know enough to give out advice too!

Cheers,

Melissa

here is a pic of my husband and I right before we started our hike into the Grand Canyon. it is about 6:30 a.m.

kittykatgirl
03-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I began knitting this past Thursday morning. It is now Saturday. I can cast on, knit and bind off real well. Purling just doesnt look right to me. I dont know what I am doing wrong.
I did go and buy some nice soft lovely feeling yarn. That is making it an even more pleasuable pasttime. Never underestimate the value of how things "feel" to you.
I am enjoying it so far, but I am just practicing. I have no skills to make anything yet and I dont understand pattern speak! I will probably just make long things and stuff for a while. Lots of stuff for kitties to play with!!!

Ingrid
03-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Welcome everyone!! :waving: :waving:

JennyLeah
03-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Hello hello, everyone! My name is Jenny (or, if you'd rather, JennyLeah. It's still my real name, just a shortened form of my first name and my middle name, after all). I've lived the bulk of my 27 years in Miami, Florida which led everyone to look at me really strangely a month or so ago when I decided to take up knitting one weekend.

So, I've been knitting about a month, and really hadn't figured out too much beyond... well... casting on and knitting. Perling had me totally stumped until I found this site last night. I think I spent the better part of 12 hours yesterday watching the videos and knitting along and wow, I wish I'd found this site a LOT sooner! :D

Um, let's see... what else about me... I live with my girlfriend and our veritable zoo: 1 dog (whippet, named Wysiwyg. Pronounced Wizzy-wig. It's an acronym for What You See Is What You Get.), 3 cats (2 blue, Kismet and Whisperer; 1 white, Forte.), 2 rats (1 hairless, Snow, and 1 double-rex, Soot.) and 1 hamster. We're planning to move to Cincinnati at the end of August or early September. I have one brother, he's younger, and he's also a poker dealer and a college student. He lives with my parents so he can stay on their health insurance as long as he's a student.

I also sing, act, and dance - in that order. Dancing is actually something I don't do much of at all anymore, truthfully, unless I'm in a musical. Which is my favorite type of show to do, but theatre in Miami is pretty limited. There's a lot more in Cicinnati, so I'm looking forward to that. It's a pity we're moving right after the end of audition season. I'm also an aspiring midwife - although I wish I'd known that 3 years ago as Direct-Entry midwifery is sort of a grey area in Ohio's legislation, and I work at an ice cream store (Coldstone Creamery) to pay the bills.

Um... I guess that's probably more than enough right now. More than anyone bargained for, I'm guessing. Nice to meet y'all. :)

Weasley
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Hello Everyone.

I came across this site over at the Immeritus: SPEW thread (http://immeritus.org/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=3760), our very own knitting circle. Treeling was kind enough to share your site with the rest of us and I have been coming here ever since to use the very helpful videos and to find patterns. I have also been reading around the boards a bit and decided I had to join.

I learned to knit a couple years ago, taught by my mother-in-law, and had only knitted scarves until last week. I just finished my first non-scarf project (preemie booties and hat) and am beginning my second (the kid's poncho that is shown on the Getting Started page). Yay!

See you around the boards.

aylaanne
03-27-2006, 12:46 PM
ooh, welcome to the forum, weasley. Glad to have a fellow potter-head knitter on the board!

knitwit2
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Cindy and I am a knitacholic!!! I have been addicted to this forum for about a month. What a great forum. Great job Amy!!! I have two boys, Kyle 13 and Ryan 10, a hubby John (won't give out age), a dog that is spoiled rotten, Nash and many fish. I have been knitting for about 3 years. I am currently working on my 2nd pair of socks ever and they are so fun!! I am going to start on my first toddler baby cardigan for my neighbors little girl. May need a lot of help from you guys.

Have a great day!!!

Cindy Evans :XX:

Weasley
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
ooh, welcome to the forum, weasley. Glad to have a fellow potter-head knitter on the board!

Thanks! I am glad to be here.

I was reading through some other introductions and realized I didn't share all that much about myself. So, here is a little more.

I am 30, married with no kids, just a kitty name Joey and about 20 guppies who keep having more and more little fry. We currently live in Texas but are originally from California. We should be moving back in a couple years.*fingerscrossed* We have been here 5 years already! I am a pre-kindergarten teacher...the reason for no kids at home. :)

Besides knitting, I also enjoy cross-stitching and am trying to learn to crochet. I read... a lot. Aylaanne perfectly described me as a Potter-head. It is so true. I get out of the house, too, surprisingly. I am a certified SCUBA diver, I love to hike and travel wherever I can, when ever I can.

So, yeah. That's me and I really am excited to have found this site.

BettyBea
03-27-2006, 05:35 PM

Hi all you newbies to the forum!!
Good news obviously travels fast! I can't keep
up with all the new people! I'm new here myself
and have received such wonderful feedback!

Knitters are ALL that, AND a biscuit!

:heart:

Pretentious Wombat
03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey y'all,

I'm thrilled to have found this site. I am recommending it to new knitters to help them through the great videos.

My name is Patti and I go by variations of "wombat-ness" around the internet. You'll find me as the Pretentious Wombat, the Teal Wombat, Celtic Wombat, etc. :-) I live in Georgia and have six children from age 9 thought 32. I've been knitting since I was about in the 2nd grade when my mom taught me. I also crochet and sew.

Currently, I do a lot of charity knitting for babies. I belong to Knitting4Children and, if anyone here is a member of that group, you'll know me as the Geography Queen of the Annual Knitathon.

Recently, I completed a lovely Alice Starmore sweater for my youngest daughter - something I thought would be the death of me, but I survived and am thrilled with the results. Previously, I stuck to simple projects just because the sewing intimidated me. Now, I'm happy with the results and can't wait to make another sweater - this time for my 12-year-old.

Well, I'm off to start reading all these posts whilst working on some fingerless gloves.

Pretentious Wombat
aka Patti

BettyBea
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Wow Patti! You really ARE all that! :happydance:
Busy busy! And ALL those children, no idle hands for you!
I'm so happy
to meet you! I'd love to see your finished projects - do you have pictures? :heart:

Pretentious Wombat
03-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey BettyBea,

I asked my 19-yr-old to take pics of the littlest one in her sweater this evening and she should be able to download them to my computer so I should have at least a pic of that. I'll try to get a few of some of the other things I've made, too. My camera is in transit from Chattanooga where a friend fixed it for me. I hope to get it back soon - I miss it.

Back to the orange gloves - I'm about halfway through the first one now. :-)

Pretentious Wombat
Patti :-)

knittychrissy
03-28-2006, 01:34 PM
hi!
my name is christine. i joined this forum last week due to my purling disaster. i actually first found knittinghelp thanks to craftster. i began knitting a couple of weeks ago and i finally feel confident in what i'm doing. so far i've tackled casting on, knitting, purling, lace work, yarn overs and seed stitch. i think i may have forgotten how to comb my hair in the process. haha
im 28, a single-mother of 2. my daughter is 8 and my son is 6 1/2.
i live in South Bay, California and have no one to knit with me. i've taught myself by watching videos and reading whatever i can get my hands on. i basically learned to knit because my brother is having a baby and the family member who usually creates all the wonderful handmade items for the kids is now unable to do so due to well...age. i've always sewn and painted, but knitting is a whole new world to me. i appreciate the focus and patience needed for me to be able to knit. sometimes i think i could use a little more of both.
this is long. thank you to those of you who completely saved me in my purling disaster. have a great day everyone!

BettyBea
03-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh my goodness! You've already tried more techniques in a few weeks than I have in YEARS of knitting!!! :thumbsup: (Too embarrassed to say HOW many years!)

Welcome to the group - from one addict, who loves being here because I don't have any friends to knit with irl ... so being on the forum makes me feel normal! :lol:

knittychrissy
03-28-2006, 03:39 PM
thank you for the warm welcome!
why have i tried so many techniques you may wonder?...it's this damned pattern i decided to follow for my first project.
check it out:
http://www.chezplum.com/pdf/isabeau_purse.pdf

it's so cute! i had to try. and then i realized that i didnt know how to purl, or do yo's or seed stitch. :cheering: hooray for me!
secretly though, im super proud of myself for getting as far as i have on the pattern. :XX:

aylaanne
03-28-2006, 03:42 PM
that purse is adorable! I may have to try that next.

BettyBea
03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
OH MY!!! What a BEAUTIFUL purse!!! I love it!!!!
You should be VERY proud! I would still hesitate to
attempt that little jewlel!!! WTG!!!
:happydance:

knittychrissy
03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
uh oh,
i meant thats the pattern im using.
my purse is still on my needles.
i'll post a pic as soon as im done.
sorry for the confusion! :oops:

aylaanne
03-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I wasn't confused. I'm sure it will be Łber cute once you're done. and you should be proud of yourself for attempting that pattern right out of the gate, it doesn't look easy and I'm sure it's been interesting.

BettyBea
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh! I wasn't confused either Sweetie!
It's GOING TO BE totally FABULOUS!!!
:XX: Knit on!

Nikkiknits
03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Hello!

I've recently visited a NSLYS (not so local yarn store?) and while I found less than I thought I'd buy, the real gem I came away with was a recommendation to visit this site. Amy, the knitters at Arizona Knitting and Needlepoint just think the world of you, and told me to check this out.

This year is my first year as a teacher, and I teach first grade. (Last summer I worked the register at the LYS while I tried to learn what I could about knitting)I don't get to knit very much. I'm trying to teach my coworkers to knit though, and though I love this site, they will NEED it and love it soon, I am sure.

Amy, thank you for putting in the work to make this resource available to everyone. I was thrilled to see your sock tutorials and will be using them quite a bit I think! I am so happy to have joined this site and I think I will make more time for knitting and me! ;)

Nikki

knittingmommaof5
03-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi!
Glad to be here. I am an avid knitter, simple living mom of five children. We homeschool, are putting in our first market garden this spring, have six chickens, one dog, one cat and practice many homesteading skills.

Our family runs a full time home based business making handcrafted (many hand knit and hand crocheted) toys and natural fiber goods.

Looking forward to sharing and learning.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Purlyn
03-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Good morning(or afternoon,depending on which side of the planet you are on :D )
My name is Pam and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I have been knitting for many years. My mother taught me and says she will never forget the experience!!! :frog: She is left handed and I am right handed and at the time none to willing. :lol:
But I improved( both knitting and self :lol: ) and have knitted for my sons when they were small and my two lovely grandchildren. These days I knit for childrens' charitys. I love to play with fine plys and lacy patterns.

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading through the site. Knitting has gained a resurgence of interest in my country too. I just love all the new, different fibres we have available to select from.

Ingrid
03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
So many new people, from so many places! Welcome, all!! :waving: