PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

lux2night
03-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi, my name is Lu and I am a knitholic.

I am very glad I found yet another knitting board, this one looks really nice and friedly :D

Lu
:XX:

BettyBea
03-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi Lu! :waving:

After all ... the first step in DEALING
with your addiction is admitting you HAVE one! :thumbsup:

Of course when it comes to knitting addictions?
You will be encouraged to CONTINUE not give
it up!

Yah. Man. Knit ON! :hiding: :X:

KathD
03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi all,
I've been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself before jumping in. I found this sight looking for information on knitting clogs. Boy did i find info!! Since then I've made two pairs of clogs, and a couple hats and a pair of socks. I used to knit and spin, years ago. Now, I've been inspired to take up my needles again. This sight is great for encouraging and sharing information. Thanks to Amy and all the mod.s for the many hours devoted to keeping things running smoothly here. I'm looking forward to joining a KAL!!
KathD :D :D

Indylou
03-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi everyone! I知 a new knitter (since February) who has spent quite a bit of time since then lurking and soaking up knowledge on this wonderful site. I figured it痴 time to start participating, so I値l start by introducing myself.

My name is Michelle and I知 from Southeastern Michigan (West Bloomfield). I知 37 years old and have been married for three years. My only child (so far anyway) is my much loved Yorkie, Indy, who is my constant sidekick. I recently left a ho-hum corporate job to start my own small business working with pets, and I知 loving every minute of it. Some of my other interests include scrapbooking, beading, yoga, traveling and classic movies. Prior to the newly-acquired knitting obsession, I was a voracious reader. Like others on the forum here, I知 also a 撤otterhead. I think I知 going to have to look into audiobooks as others have suggested if I知 going to keep up with my reading these days, unless I can devise a way to hold a book and knit at the same time

To date I致e knit a pile of dishcloths, a couple of scarves, and a baby afghan (ok, actually a doggy afghan) and now I知 off to start my Irish Hiking scarf, my first attempt at cables. Wish me luck!

Thank you Amy and mods for all your work on this site擁t痴 an invaluable resource.

Michelle

Ingrid
03-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Welcome everyone to the friendliest forum there is! Thanks for noticing, Lu!

And Michelle, if you every figure out how to read and knit at the same time, please let us know. My reading has suffered since I took up knitting again.

Kath--welcome back to the fold!

purpleldy1
04-01-2006, 01:42 AM
My name is Melanie but I have always been Mel to everyone who has ever met me. I live in Idaho, I have been married 10 years. I have four children. I am so new I still haven't bought a set of knitting needles, yet. Not sure what type is best. :?? I am watching several auctions on ebay, yet to bid though. I was toying with making my own using Amys instructions. My Mother sarted out with circulars making dishrags. Now she makes Leper bangages for Humanitarian efforts. My inspiration is two fold. One I have been suffering from insomnia and need something to occupy my time and relax me enough to sleep and, two I got a scarf of the share table at church last year the is the coolest thing ever. It is a scarf with two hidden pockets. I am bound and determined to recreate it or, improve upon it. So that being said I know I have a long road ahead of me. Any advice would be welcomed.

Ingrid
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Welcome, Mel! A lot of us do what your mother does and use circulars for flat knitting as well as knitting in the round. Less expensive in the long run, and much more versatile. Lots of people use the interchangeable sets, some, like me, prefer Addi Turbos (a lot of us love them) even thought they're more expensive. Susan Bates circulars are not bad, either.

I suggest you get a pair of needles, somewhere in the middle range--like 8--a skein of worsted weight, light-colored yarn, and just knit, knit, knit. Knitting, like anything else, gets better with practice.

Electriknits
04-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Shannon and I am from southeast Michigan. I just recently discovered this site and am loving it! I taught myself to knit when my son was 6 months old (he will be 3 in a few months). I have a serious knitting addiction and am also a "Potterhead"!
This is so great having this site because I don't really know anyone else who knits!
Thanks!

purpleldy1
04-02-2006, 12:53 AM
For a person who has never knitted and until recently has only been able to crochet a single chain, what kind of needles should I be buying, DP, circular , regular straight< Just the cheapest I can find. what is all or your advice. I know quilting and other textile hobbies relaxes me if I had room in my home for a quilt frame I would be doing that. Give me your opinions. I Found this site searching for more indepth learnign. I got interested watching a knitting program on PBS, unfortunately the camera angles were less than helpful for a beginner. I was so excited to see Amys videos she doesn't feel so self improtant that she has to be in the shot. only her hands the needles and the yarn. Bravo. As soon as I get my first set of needles I will be on my way. Good for you Shannon to be able to teach yourself. Must be something about the name I have a friend named Shannon and she can do anything. I am constanly in awe of her.

bjc1050
04-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi and WELCOME, to all newcomers.

Indylou, another yorkie lover here. We currently have our 3rd yorkie...the others have passed away. Can't imagine life without a yorkie although we have our 1st pomeranian now. Poms are just as endearing as yorkies, but seem to think they are royalty, :lol:

I would highly recommend Susan Bates Silvalume circulars if you can get them locally. Ben Franklin stores have the best size selection. If you have to get your needles via catalog... you may as well get Addis from Jeff at Ebay. I don't think Addis are worth the $15 charged at many LYS when the most expensive Susan Bates are $6.95. They both feel good in your hands and knitting with either is a joy.

Electriknits
04-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi Mel,
I taught myself to knit with this "I Taught Myself Knitting" kit by Boye that I bought at my local crafts store. It came with a a pair of 10" #8's and 10" #10's and looking back on it now I do believe that those were perfect for a beginner. They are not too slippery to let the stitches fall off of the needle but yet they also allowed tight stitches to slide fairly decent. Now that I am a little more comfortable with knitting I love circular needles for everything! If I use straight needles they seem to always be catching on my sleeves or chair arms or something. I would suggest a pair of Boye #10's to start (either circular or straight) and they are fairly inexpensive and easily found at craft stores. I just bought a set of Boye straight #10's, 10" and I paid $3.99. As far as what lengths you need or DPN's that would depend on what you are primarily going to knit.
I hope this helps and Good luck!
Shannon in Michigan

dustinac
04-02-2006, 11:07 AM
:cheering: Welcome everyone to the forum!! :happydance:

Ellen Edwards
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey everyone--it's been too long since I checked out who's new to the forum. My son and his family have been visiting and I was playing with my 18 month old grandson- :heart: :heart: -so hey! I had good reason. And now my son has gotten a great job with a GREAT raise-- about 4 hours from us...and they've been 10 hours away for 10 years, so I'm so happy I could , well DANCE!! :happydance:

My dh and I have been up here in Virginia, our home state, and they've been in Alabama and I'm dying to get them back up here!! :happydance: :XX:

Jennylou
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this site but not to knitting. I notice that this is a mainly USA based site so I hope you dont mind me joining all the way over here in the UK.

I have been knitting since I was 5 years old on my nannys knee. Now I knit jumpers and things for my son and my friends kids. I find it relaxing and destressing. And boy am I stressed today. We are trying to buy a new house and our buyers have pulled out so we have two weeks to find new buyers or we lose our new house. I could scream!!!!!!!

Well I will certainly put some Q&A's up from time to time and I am on yahoo messenger if anyone wants to chat.

Jenny :XX:

idgeek
04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm Phillip from Michigan.

I've always been interested in knitting. I actually tried to learn to knit by myself several times before but failed. About six months ago, a coworker of mine showed me how to cast-on and do knit stitch. Since then, I've learned to purl-knit and bind off. I've sucessfully finished two scarves and now I'm working on my third with different colors. It's VERY rudimentry, but I'm having a blast!

I dream of making me sweaters and socks especially.

I LOVE TO KNIT! ('though my buddy friends thinks I'm turning little bit weird...)

bjc1050
04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi, Phillip. Welcome. No you aren't the only guy here. One guy is a truck driver. Haven't seen any posts from him lately.

Ingrid
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Welcome! We have Brits and men, so you'll both fit right in!

Toast King
04-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi there
I've just found this thread so thought I'd say hi! :cheering:

I'm Katie, and also a Brit (there seem to be a few of us here!). My mum taught me to knit when I was quite little and I made several wobbly scarves and misshapen toys in the school holidays :thumbsup:
I'm now 25 and picked up the needles again last year. I would say I'm a bit of a naughty knitter that can't finish one project before starting two others and I get seduced by all the pretty yarns in the shop!

I've really enjoyed reading all about you & your projects (I spend far too long browsing Whatcha knittin!) on this forum - thanks! I really should do some work now before I get busted by my boss ;)

Ktxx :XX:

Andrea
04-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Welcome everyone! And I second what Ingrid said, we have lots of Brits and men!! :cheering:

Nimmie
04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Hello!

I'm a very very VERY new knitter and a friend pointed me towards this site. I had been staring at a "How to knit" book for four days at work and it just didn't make sense. So, I tried out one of the videos on this site and it suddenly CLICKED! Now I'm about 3/4's of the way through my first project, a scarf. (My son is doubtful as to what it's really supposed to be...but it really is a scarf!)

Anyway, I'm excited about starting and I hope to be churning out recognizable things soon!

janelanespaintbrush
04-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi all! Thought I'd finally introduce myself after a couple months of lurking. My name is Jane. I'm 35 (how'd that happen?), have been married for 3 years, and though my DH and I have no plans for kids, we have the cutest gray furball (kitty) who has an inexplicable lack of interest in my yarn. I'm lucky enough to work at home so I live in t-shirts and sweats (shorts in the summer.) I don't know when I'm going to wear all this knit-wear I'm creating!

Anyway. My DH got me some basic knitting stuff for valentines day (I had expressed an interest in learning the week before), and it turned out to be one of the best gifts ever! Of course, the book he got (I believe it's called "instant expert" :rofling: ) turned out to be almost useless for learning to knit, though Amy's videos have been absolutely invaluable. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!) Since then I've been visiting KH almost daily.

The reason I haven't introduced myself before is because I kept waiting until I had a legitimate question to ask, but this is such a great resource that all my questions (so far), have already been answered in previous posts). So this is pretty much just a hello. Hello! :waving:

I've been treading the knitting waters slowly, trying to stick with easy stuff and gain skill and confidence before trying more complicated projects. So far I've done 3 hats, a scarf, and a dishcloth. For the hats, I used KP's WOTA in chestnut, sierra in cranberry, and andean treasure in sunset (all were stockinette with 2x2 rib trim). I used suri dream in fern (yummy, though a pain to frog) for a garter stitch scarf on super big needles. I really like the way the scarf turned out -- like a delicate, furry green spider web. The (somewhat misshapen) simple summer dishcloth was in shine worsted in snapdragon. (Are there any cotton yarns that are stretchier and easier to knit? Wool is seems so much more forgiving than cotton.)

Needless to say, Knitpicks is already my favorite yarn store, though I just bought some caron simply soft (in heather gray) at Joann's to hold me over while waiting for a KP order. (It had gotten such good press that I've been wanting to try it anyway... I already love the price and washability!) I'm currently attempting a brioche rib scarf with it, which I'm really digging. I'm actually preferring this stitch to the one used in the scrunchable scarf, which I tried, but kept messing up for some reason. I'm not sure, but brioche seems to use less yarn than other stitches (can anyone confim that?). It's so wonderfully fluffy.

Well, I've been babbling long enough. (This is two months worth of catching up, I suppose.) Thank you all so much for being here and getting me into this great hobby. I have already learned a bunch and really appreciate the community you've built here. Though I've pretty much been just an outside observer until now, I already feel at home here. :sunny:

-Jane

P.S. I bit the bullet and got the Denise needles early on (figured as a newbie, it was more cost-effective in the long-run), and they are great, though I have already lost the shortest cable! It's probably one I wouldn't use much, but if it doesn't turn up, I may just order a replacement anyway since it makes me so sad to see the empty space in the case! :( I had to share that since I knew you guys would understand!

Ingrid
04-08-2006, 05:43 PM
:waving: Welcome! There a lot more to this place than just knitting help,so come on in and join the fun!

Claire06
04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello!

I'm Claire and I'm an absolute beginner to knitting! I'm 23 and live in New Zealand, and my future sister-in-law just started teaching me to knit last week. So far I've done just squares of knitting, but have just started on the catnip toy pattern I found on here.

It was great to find this site, it seems so useful and I'm sure I'll be on here a lot!

Claire :XX:

Momof4Greys
04-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Dina, I'm 41 years old, I will be married eight years on May 9th. I have two little girls, one cat and four retired greyhounds. I've been living in Texas for the last eight years and LOVE it here. I'm originally from Louisiana.

I'm also a "New Knitter" saw an article in a magazine about how knitting is coming back and decided I'd like to try it. I ordered something from the web "Teach Yourself to Knit" and I also have a friend who's mom grew up in Belgium and learned to knit by age eight. She gave me a few pointers and after a few more books "Stich and Bitch" is great I've been knitting ever since. I've made multiple scarves in garter and ribbed, some plain some with three colors. Two hats in garter and two in stockinette. I just finished two sleeveless summer tanks in stockinette for my two girls (ages 3 & 6) which came out pretty good for my first "real" piece of clothing. So far I've only knitted on straight needles, I'm a little scared of the circular needles, I don't know why, I just am. I've used all sorts of different yarn and needle sizes to get the feel of knitting. I'm really enjoying knitting, it's very relaxing to me.

If anyone has a suggestion for an easy project to do for my first circular needle try please let me know. I just started a Prayer Shawl for me, I decided it was time to finally knit something for myself. I've been giving all of my projects to my family.

Andrea
04-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Welcome! Momof4Greys, make sure you find Jeep_Girl (she has a thread on the Blogs), she's a mommy of 2 greys!!

yarnnut
04-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Amy, thank you for this wonderful resource and your hard work. In a time when families are spread across the USA and elsewhere, learning from Mom or a relative becomes impossible or, in my case, my 93 year old mother doesn't remember how to knit anymore. I have struggled interpreting unclear illustrations in books, although the one that has been most valuable and a riot to read is Stitch 'N Bitch. I'm looking forward to your DVD of videos to help me with more involved stitches and DPNS.

yarnnut :XX: [/list]

yarnnut
04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I read in janelanespaintbrush she was knitting a brioche stitch. What is that?

Our computer is a dinosaur, 7 years old, so I'm not sure whether it has the chutzpah to accept and post a photo from our digital camera.
:??

RJ
04-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Hi
My name is Pearlin and I live in Kuwait.I am just teaching myself to knit from the basics available on this site.This place is amazing :thumbsup: I just learnt to do the double cast on ,Knit and purl stitch.And I am trying to learn the bind off.
I hope I can get lot of support and help from all the wonderful knitters here.
Have agreat Day You all
Pearlin

Ingrid
04-12-2006, 09:25 AM
We're developing into quite the intercontinental bunch! Welcome, everyone! :waving:

yarnnut
04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi, Dina. Thank you for the two links to Berroco and Lion Yarns. There's quite a diverse amount of patterns on each, esp. on Lion Yarns and their nice pattern search feature. I thought I'd try the "star pattern" Amy has on this Web site. My fingers were cramped after casting on 195 stitches! I started with some cheapo yarn I bought, Red Heart, I think, trying to talk my Mom into knitting again. The yarn would split while knitting, drove me nuts, so I ripped it out. :shock: Good quality yarn must have more strands or is more tightly woven, eh? I'll have to pass the sweater pattern by my girls, teenagers, you know.
Thanks again! :D

Momof4Greys
04-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi Hope,

Glad to be of help. I'm always googling Free Knitting Patterns to find ones I like that don't look to over my head. If you search enough you'll find the perfect one for you to work on. I'll still search for something your teenagers will like. I dread those days, though my 6 yr old (who thinks she's 16) is giving me a run for my money already. :rollseyes: I can only imagine what she'll be like during the "teen" years. :shock:

dustinac
04-13-2006, 08:12 AM
:waving: Welcome everybody!!! :cheering:

vknits
04-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi
I a mvknits, how I wish I had come across your website 2 yrs ago when I started knitting!! But I guess I am glad I found your site atleast now. I am really excited!!!
Vknits

Tamar Dohel
04-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone!

Enjoy this site.

Happy knitting to you all.

Tamar

The Purloined Letter
04-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi there! What a great site. Glad to be here!

Although I've been knitting since I was a little girl, very recently my 6yo son and DH joined me!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

The Purloined Letter (http://thepurloinedletter.blogspot.com)
Quoth the Maven, "Knit some more!"

Cherinec5
04-18-2006, 01:52 PM
hi everyone, i just want to say that is site is amazing!!!! I have loved knitting for a long time but i didnt know how to make anything so i stopped knitting about 5 years ago. i just got back into it again and couldn't remember anything! Luckily i found this website and now i'm working on my second project!!!!!!!!!

mks22300
04-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Welcome along to those who've just joined! You'll have lots of fun here, it's a great place to be! :waving:

alison0313
04-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm 25 years old, from Massachusetts. I've been a knitter for about a month now, and I LOVE it. I learned the basics using the videos on this site along with this book/kit http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product/2420 , both very helpful. The book has patterns for six projects, I've completed a few and they are very cute. Now that I've got some of the basics down, I'm not sure what to move onto next.

I'm still a beginner, but I'd like to progress to more challenging projects, and learn new things but I just don't know what my next step is. I certainly don't want to get in over my head. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Alison
:heart:

Fudgie
04-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi! This is a really great site and really useful! The boards are great too!!
See ya soon!

Shavon
04-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi all!

I'm 27 years old and I taught myself how to knit about 2 months ago using the videos from here - I absolutely love, love, love this site!!! Thank you, Amy!! :notworthy:

My husband had been on my case for a while to "get a hobby" because I need a "stress relief". Little did he know that his suggestion would turn into a new obsession for me! :D My best friend kept encouraging me to try knitting, and once I started, I just couldn't stop. I have now made it my goal to knit Christmas presents for all of my family and co-workers this year, so I'm spending my time finding simple patterns and learning new techniques. So I know I will have a lot of questions!

After stalking this site nearly everyday I decided to finally take the plunge and register, so I can finally have an outlet for my new love - knitting. And after over 3 years on ttc forums and 3 m/c later (10 points to anyone who knows what all that means ;) ) I can't tell you how happy I am to have a forum to post on that will not be so depressing! LOL Knitting has been so enjoyable for me, and I really feel like this will be a lifelong hobby now. I look forward to posting more on this forum!

Shavon

Ingrid
04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome! Come on in and join the fun! :waving:

dustinac
04-22-2006, 11:11 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone to the forum :happydance:

Nanhood
04-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Good morning! I am Nancy from Springfield, Illinois. 51 years old and starting knitting after a 33 year hiatus. As a senior at an all girls parochial high school, an aged Ursuline nun taught me to knit a sweater for an enrichment class. Well, I am back and happy to be a part of this forum. The site is GREAT and even the local yarn store has it on their computer...thanks to me!! So far, I have knit a scarf, of course, and just completed a felted purse!!! EXCITING, but, its all I want to do! :D ;)
Nancy

aylaanne
04-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you!

bjc1050
04-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi all you newcomers. Welcome!

Purloined, We lived in Queenstown many years ago. We tried to rent a house in Takoma Park at one time, but they wouldn't rent to us because we weren't Seventh Day Adventist. Guess all that's changed by now, lol.

Lived at Adelphia with my sister before I got married. I'm sure It's really changed a lot since I last saw that area. Hardly recognize Rockville anymore where we lived for many years.

Anniknits
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi I'm Anni. I'm from Norway but have lived in England since I was 20. I've knitted since early teens, used to do lots of Norwegian Jumpers, but gave up about 10 years ago. Then rediscovered knitting before Christmas and haven't stopped since. I have recently (a couple of weeks ago) set up my own website with handbags, shawls etc that I have designed and knitted myself. Also doing cusihons and teddies. Just about to start experimenting with felting. :XX: Which is very exciting. :inlove: This forum looks great.

KnittingStardust
04-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Just a quick note to say hi to all of the great people in the forum! Thanks for the kind words and the support - your answers at my survey have been beyond fabulous. (www.KnittingStardust.com)

brownishcoat
04-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi, my name's Lisa, I'm 37, and I started knitting again about 6 months ago. This is a great site! I feel like you guys are my friends already.

The videos here are awesome; I taught myself continental knitting after being English since circa 1991!

This post kept growing, so I decided to put my knitting history as the intro to my blog thread.

:D

mysteryknitter
04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Hello all. I'm a new knitter and new to the website.

Thanks so much...Sheshanti.

Hi to each and everyone of you! I am just one modest knitter from Finland. It is far away from you all but this web system helps a lot. I am dreaming of a sweater for myself...but when do I dare to grab the needles to make it? I hope that happens in the near future. And Sheshanti...I know you asked a question in your original message. So I hope you do not mind of this...Row counter has been one great help for me. Well, I'd better go and read some more. Let's knit, shall we?

Skater
04-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Hello, everyone! I've only been here a few days, but I feel very much at home here. I've already got my own avatar and have posted a bunch of times. Already I can say I love it.

Hats off to Amy. I've used this site for a year or two as a resource. The videos are excellent. Thanks for being here.

I started knitting in 2004, basically. It's a great creative outlet for me.

Mama Bear
04-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I have recommended this site so often to others, I decided it was time to come visit the forums.

Amy, I want to thank you for the wonderful video's and free patterns.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Mama Bear

Ingrid
04-30-2006, 09:03 AM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!

bjc1050
04-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi to all the newbies since my last drop-by. Welcome! :D

photogirl72
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone.

I have been watching and sharing Amy's videos for a long time, but for some reason have never joined the forum. I thought that I should, so here I am.

Thank you Amy for your videos, they have saved my projects multiple times. Thanks to you I can now :XX: more than a scarf or a potholder. I love you :heart:

I hope to read lots of entries and write along with you all. Thank you.

a.little.looksie
05-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm new to this site although, I've been knitting for about a year now. I am very obsessed with knitting; and bring my current project with me just about everywhere I go. (with the exception of some of my dates with my boyfriend) I just :heart: knitting with a passion ;) .

I definitely started a "Craft Club" at my school and the primary craft has been knitting. So I have taught at least 20 people how to knit as of now; probably even more. Who knows?

But anyways.. So I wanted to just say "Hello!" and perhaps make some new friends and learn new things. :D wheeeee!

Ingrid
05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Welcome everyone! This is such a great site for knitting, friendships and laughs! :waving:

jlloyd
05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Hello Everyone. I'm a pretty novice knitter and I crochet a bit as well. My biggest struggle so far is trying to learn everything backwards as I'm a lefty and everyone I know who knits is right-handed. Slowly but surely I'm learning. So far though I see to just make scarves and simple blankets. I think this site will teach me a lot and I'm looking forward to it.

IndianPrincessSIP
05-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Hello all,
Just wanted to use this sweetie. ........... :XX:
Does my heart good.

Thanks everyone for all of your contributions here.

I got the knit bug baaaaaaad!

:cheering:

Ingrid
05-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Welcome! :waving:

IndianPrincessSIP
05-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Thank you Ingrid. I appreciate the welcome. :D

meriellyn
05-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi! My name is Mary. Let's see... I'm 24, an accounting student and freelance graphic designer, a South Carolina native, and have too many critters for my own good.

I taught myself to knit back in November after moving back to my small hometown from the much more active Orlando, FL. Fell in love with it and been at it ever since.
I'm a total ADD knitter. The thought of one WIP at a time sends me into convulsions.
I'm making advances... recently began delving into the world of simple lace.

Made a feeble attempt to teach myself to crochet a couple months ago when The Happy Hooker came out. Learned that crochet makes me want to poke my seld in the eye with the hook just to get out of it. Lol. But I HAVE to have that dang cowboy hat! (I'll be forever in your debt if you can find me a good patter for KNITTING a cowboy hat. Seriously.)

Um, so yeah, that's me.
Hi again. :)

ptms06
05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
hi i am a new knitter, i have been trying to teach myself now for the past couple of months, i think i like it, but its fustrating, i hate to say this but that makes it fun because i cant get it.

i joined to see if some one could help me with my knitting woes, i can send u a pic, everytime i cast on, and knit the first row my last stitch is always really wide, and when i stitch it, it makes the next row really ugly how can i fix this?

knitnat
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
hi everyone! i'm a grad student here in new york and i like all kinds of crafts. i taught myself how to knit years ago, but i didn't practice so i'm still a beginner. i just found this site and learned that i've been doing the knit sticth wrong all these years :shock: so please be prepared for some pretty dumb questions from me...i'm off to the how-to section now!

Ingrid
05-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Turn my back for a minute and all kinds of newbies drop in! :rofling: Welcome, everyone!! :waving:

Katheros
05-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi, I'm Kate. I just recently picked up knitting within the last 3 months or so but I am enjoying it so far! I do also crochet and cross stitch. (Shamelessly showing off my masterpiece (http://www.techhouse.us/Images/Photos/Galleries/Members/Tigger/Non-Baby%20Pics/2004_0417_212631AA.JPG)) In my spare time I also have a set of twin boys who just turned a year old last week. Here's (http://www.techhouse.us/Images/Photos/Galleries/Members/Tigger/Birthday/EatingCakeC.jpg) a cake-in-the-face picture for you!

I am looking forward to many knitty conversations!

Ingrid
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Oh my! That cross stitch is wonderful! Your boys are gorgeous, too! :heart:

Katheros
05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Thank you! I made them all myself! :D

dustinac
05-11-2006, 09:33 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone to the forum!!

Kaheros, your boys are so cute and I love your masterpiece so pretty!! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM

:rofling: I believe you made the cross stitch all by yourself, but the boys? :thinking:

Katheros
05-11-2006, 09:43 PM

:rofling: I believe you made the cross stitch all by yourself, but the boys? :thinking:

Okay, very very very very very very little help. :roflhard: I did all the hard work!

Ingrid
05-11-2006, 09:44 PM

Okay, very very very very very very little help. :roflhard: I did all the hard work!

And still do, probably!! ;)

Parthenia
05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone! I really love this site and this forum, in fact I taught myself to knit by watching these great videos.

I joined the forums a while ago, but I didn't feel like I could contribute much until I had actually knitted something. I've dome a bunch of projects since then, so here I am. :)

snowbear
05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi, I discovered this site and truly enjoy it. It helps me feel better to know that it is normal to have more than one project going at a time. At the present I have 2 afgans, a sweater, a crop top & now my daughter has decided her daughter needs a cape to play dress up in. lol Such is my life as a grandmother. So.. thanks for this wonderful forum, and I look forward to lots of smiles and help along the way... :XX:

Ingrid
05-13-2006, 10:44 PM
:waving: Welcome Snowbear and Parthenia!

Jan in CA
05-13-2006, 10:53 PM

I just saw your posts.. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Rayski
05-15-2006, 03:32 PM
I am new to this forum. What a FUN group!! I knitted years ago but just started again. I'm having a ball. I'm about 1/2 done with the front of a sweater, and I've made 3 rounds on my first ever socks.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Ray (50+ and female) from CA

scubagirl1966
05-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Just thought I say hello - recently joined the forum but I have been knitting a while

Currently on the needles

hmm - A colinette long coat in FireCracker yarn, a Rowan Big Wool sweater for my friends husband for Christmas, a kids cardigan - with no intended recipient , 2 pairs of socks, an Aran jacket and god knows what else is hiding under the bed !

Oh and cabled cardigan just waiting for the yummy new buttons I just got to be attached - thats really finished :)

I have promised no more new projects until I finish these ( that being said I made the promise before I started the socks .... )

I have yarn and plans for 2 Aran sweaters, a ribbed jacket, 2 more pair of socks, a hooded sweater in a silk ribbon yarn, a chunky sweater, 2 summer tops in a wool ribbon yarn and mohair for a few lacy scarves .... somebody stop me !!!!

I blog .... just to prove I actually finish things from time to time !

http://scubagirlsknitting.blogspot.com

bjc1050
05-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi Kate! Welcome! Where on the Eastern Shore are you? I grew up near Seaford, DE.

Hello and Welcome to all you other newbies.

lookingglass
05-17-2006, 08:57 PM
:happydance: I just jumped right in and started asking questions without introducing myself! How rude!

I am a knitting mom of 2. My grandmother tried to teach me to knit when I was 7 and I failed miserably. I have been teaching myself for the past few years, with BIG gaps in between. I have knitted little animals, itchy scarves, a shawl that I now know should have been made on circular needles (though I have never used them), and have successfully knitted 1 fabulous mohair sparkley bootie. Now that my technique is better I am treating myself to good yarn. Glad to be here!

Thanks for the help!

ginny
05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi there

Just wanted to say a huge thankyou for this awesome site! I found this site a few weeks ago when I decided that I wanted to learn how to knit, and it has helped me sooo much already! I am a real "visual" learner, so the videos are fantastic...just like having a real life lesson, rather than trying to disciper instructions / photos etc in a book. And the forum is really helpful too :)

I'm totally addicted to knitting now! I've missed my bus several mornings now because I've decided to try squeezing in "just one more row" before leaving for work. I'm knitting a cute crib blanket for my soon-to-be-arriving niece / nephew...it's looking fantastic (apart from a few stuffed up stitches) - my intarsia knitting wouldn't have been possible without the videos from this site. I looked in stacks of books and other websites, but only this site made the concept make any sense to me. Thankyou :)

Old Knitter
05-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Good Morning........I'm so happy to have found this site. Although I have been knitting for years, I am always on the look out for tips to increase my knitting fun. This group seems close, chatty and helpful. I look forward to more visits.

Holly

Ingrid
05-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Welcome to everyone!! :waving:

DianaM
05-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Greetings and Salutations

I'm 27 and a half years old.
I'm the child of an american mother and a mexican father and grew up in the Gulf Coast of Mexico in the sea-side city of Tampico (7 hrs. south of the Texan border).

When I was 9 years old, my Abuela (grandma) sat with me under the shade of the trees in the backyard, handed me a small aluminum hook, some yarn and showed me the basics of crochet.
I didn't do much afterwards, though I did make chains when I was stressed out to kill time. I think I managed to end up with a mile-long chain at one point.

In high school I took up crocheting as a serious hobby and have not stopped since. Graduated with a bachelor's, moved to Colorado with my american grandmother and am now planning to move again within the US so I can get a second bachelors. The yarn has followed me every step of the way.

And now.....I'm trying to learn to knit. Which isn't easy with an overactive cat by my side. :XX:

Aside from crocheting and knitting, I'm also a stage and voice actress and I used to be a mask-maker, librarian and tattoo designer. My bachelors in Mexico was Clinical Psychology and here in the US it will be Nursing.
Both are professions that need a lot of craftyness on the side to deal with the "waves", so any pointers you can throw my way are truly appreciated.

I love the site, I love the tutorials and look forward to having a lot of fun :balloons:

Old Knitter
05-24-2006, 06:10 AM
It sounds as though you will be a wonderful addition to this group! Cats make knitting more than interesting. My cat loves everything about knitting......the yarn, the needles, the basket, EVEN the pattern.

Holly

DotMom61
05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
So many new names here!! Welcome, everyone!!

beginnerdubee
05-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Hello there. I'm a fairly newbie knitter from New England. I'm not very advanced yet, but working on that.... ;) Hope to find great new knitting friends in this forum!!

Old Knitter
05-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi Amy........where are you from in NH? I'm in NH as well.

Holly

SeraphimRed
05-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Hiya everyone!

My name is Crystal, and I'm fairly semi-new to knitting. I'm from New Mexico and just found this site. Truthfully, I taught myself how to knit from the internet..after hearing my mom rave about being taught.

Soooooo... uhmm.. Hi. :happydance: Looking forward to chatting with you all soon!

-Crystal

Ingrid
05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi everyone!! :waving: :waving:

sop 1
05-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I just joined the forum and did not see the introduction post until today. I am a relatively new knitter; about a year and a half; and basically taught myself. :rollseyes: My grandmother taught me the knit stitch when I was a little girl but always did the cast on and just handed me the neeedles. No matter how horrible she told me my little squares were beautiful! :heart: So...since I have nothing else to do???(I take care of a 90 yr. old mother, a husband, have a family of 5 boys and all their own, sing in a symphony chorus, an Evensong choir, serve on two music boards and paint watercolors) I decided to take up knitting again! It is addictive. My husband is looking for an anonymous group for me! I love this website; the videos are great. :thumbsup: I just called my LYS (did I get that right?) to see if they are open on the holiday! Is that withdrawal or what! :roflhard: Thank you all ahead of time for all the help I know you will offer. :XX:
Susan in NC

Old Knitter
05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes, Susan.........you are seriously addicted. And, you have found sisters ready to help you celebrate your addiction!

Holly

robynbird
05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Hello! My name is Robyn and I've been lurking for sometime. KH helped me to relearn to knit after my SIL taught me several years ago. I'm now a full on knitting nut...so much so that's my email addy! :)

I'm a work at home, homeschooling mom of 2. I work in Correspondence (fancy word for answering email) for a nationwide Christian radio network. I LOVE my job because it allows me to be at home all day with my kids. I've been working from home and homeschooling for 2 years now.

I learned to knit about 4 years ago but never really got into it, until last year I picked up my needles again when I found out I was pregnant, sadly I lost that baby but I've been knitting ever since. Made TONS of scarves for Christmas. :)

Right now I'm working on an blanket for my niece who is graduating high school in about a week and a half. My Grandmother used to knit/crochet and she made all her grandchildren blankets when we turned 13. I'm a bit late, but I wanted to continue her legacy to the great-grandchildren. So although I've missed 3 graduations, I'm starting w/Angie and will include a small card explaining the legacy her great-grandmother started. Angie knits too so maybe this will inspire her too. :)

Anyway, sorry for the book. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Old Knitter
05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Robyn, don't apologize.........reading your book helps us to know you better. My daughter had thought of home schooling but thought she wou;dn't have the patience to spend the time she would need to. How wonderful for you to spend so much time with your children. Hope to hear more from you.

Holly

sop 1
05-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the welcome, Holly! :D I cannot believe I forgot to include the most important member of our family and by far the most demanding; Dunny the Corgi!! :heart: The yarn stash is a favorite spot for his mischief! :shock:
Susan in NC

dustinac
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
:cheering: Welcome Everyone!!! :happydance:

ToledoKnitwit
06-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I have used the videos here often, as I have been knitting for just one year this week. Hey, Happy Anniversary to me! :heart: :XX:

Anyway, thought I'd jump in and check out the messages.

Thorne
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I am new here in the message boards, but I just wanted to say hello! This site has helped me sooooo many times its crazy! I'm 23 from NC, married, no kids (except for my fur kids - 2 ferrets), and I've been knitting for about 8-9 months now. I was inspired to take up knitting when I saw the Stitch N Bitch book in a local craft store. I was so amazed at all the cool stuff you can do with knitting! I haven't been able to put down my needles ever since then! I usually have quite a few projects on my needles at one time and I def have my share of UFOs. Right now I am working on (at the same time), a pair of tall socks, a baby blanket (for a coworker), and a transformers scarf. I take the more portable ones with me and work on them outside the home and the less portable ones are for home knitting.

Anyway, hi!

dustinac
06-04-2006, 11:39 AM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum!!!

sop 1
06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I too am in Charlotte! ;) Have been knitting about a year and a half. I love this site too and the videos are great! :cheering: What is your favorite LYS??
Sop 1 :XX:

akanejones
06-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Erin and I live in Seattle by way of Louisiana. I'm 31, a social worker, and have been knitting for about two years but I have only really meant it for the last six months. I've learned purely from the internet and books although I'm looking into joining a knitting group around here so I can have someone to talk to about knitting! This site has been extremely helpful and the videos gave me that breakthrough I needed to knit socks (aaah, picking up stitches, how wrong I was doing that before I saw it done!)

Anyway, great site, thanks for all the information and help!

Erin

Thorne
06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I too am in Charlotte! ;) Have been knitting about a year and a half. I love this site too and the videos are great! :cheering: What is your favorite LYS??
Sop 1 :XX:

:D Always good to find a local! Were you ever apart of the Metro S&B? I was a member before the whole sew fast sew easy drama and the yahoo club got shut down. I haven't been able to find anybody from the group since then. I'm not sure if the yahoo group ever got to start back up yet.

As far as LYS go, I've pretty much only found Yarn Charlotte. There aren't a whole lot of them in the area I've noticed. Theres also Knit one, stitch too and there was another one I went to trying to find some subsitute yarn to make the kittyville hat to look like Luna from Sailor Moon.

Have you found any more? I still haven't ventured forth to go find Stitch fine yarns or the sewing bird.

sop 1
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Nice to hear from you. :D I went to Sewing Bird until they closed. :crying: Now it's just an internet store. I now use Charlotte Yarn on Selwyn. The ladies there are very nice and helpful even though the stock isn't huge and it's open part of the day on Sunday.Since I live IN Charlotte I have not ventured out to the couple other places I've heard of. One I believe in the Huntersville area. I-77 is not my idea of fun!! :shock: Guess that's because I am an old rare bird...a 5th generation Charlottean!! I also have ordered yarn from Elan. Great deals there. Never been in the group.
Sop 1

isaiah507
06-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Hello! So... I stumbled upon this KH site with FANTASTIC videos! And what's even more cool? There's a FORUM with TONS of other knitters! And they all seem really nice, too! Woo Hoo!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I'm pretty new to knitting... mostly have only done scarves in garter stitch... :blush: BUT... now that I've found these completely AWESOME videos, I can learn more!! I'm going to be learning to knit in the round and am also going to be felting!!

:thumbsup:

Eloewien
06-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi all :) I'm new here, but definately not new to knitting, however, I do love the entire website. I was pointed over here due to my obsession with those wonderful Fiber Trends felted clogs... mmm... so comfy! I'm 25 years old, married, with a cat. At the moment, I live in Southwestern Virginia, however I grew up in California and later Richmond, Virginia. I spend my daysteaching people how to do tech support, and I spend all my free time with my knitting in hand. My mother in law was even kind enough to send me an absolutely wonderful box of all kinds of fun yarns she found- now I just have to decide what to use them for! I also love to knit socks, as well as anything anyone at work is willing to have me make. I have greatly enjoyed reading posts here, as it seems everyone is so helpful. I'm so excited to find other people as utterly addicted to knitting as I am!!

Laura
http://www.dragonwingarts.com

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Welcome, everyone! :waving: :waving:

Witchjnr
06-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I am a new knitter (in Australia) and I have just sent this site to a link to all my friends - hopefully they will all become as obessesed as I am!

:heart: this site!!!!

Oh yeah - can someone please tell me what blocking is?? :??

eeyore
06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi everyone!
My name is Kasia (it's Polish version of Kate) and I'm from Poland. My English isn't excellent so I can make some mistakes. I'm only 15 and I've knited for over 2 years. I love knit for babies ('coz it's quick ;) ) and my favourite thing to knit are socks :D I'm really happy that I've found that site, coz in Poland there are no sites about knitting. I hope that chatting on this forum will be a great ocassion to improve my English :D
I love music, too. I play violin and I'm absolutely crazy about Anna Maria Jopek- the most wonderful singer in the world! :)
I've got strange obsession about teddy bears- I love them! :)

SimplyKaar
06-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Welcome everyone!! :waving:

I hope you'll get to live this forum and all its inhabitants as much as I do :heart:

Kasia, you're only 15 and your English is this good already?? :shock: *very impressed* :notworthy:
You've come to the right place I think: I'm not an native English speaker either and these people are so nice about everything. I'm sure they'll help you out with that too if you have any questions about how to say something in English.

:XX: happy knitting! :XX:

SimplyKaar
06-09-2006, 12:34 PM

I hope you'll get to live this forum and all its inhabitants as much as I do :heart:

Kasia, you're only 15 and your English is this good already?? :shock: *very impressed* :notworthy:
You've come to the right place I think: I'm not an native English speaker either and these people are so nice about everything. I'm sure they'll help you out with that too if you have any questions about how to say something in English.

eeyore
06-09-2006, 02:03 PM

my English is good?! nice to hear that :D I think I've got very good teacher from Britain :D
I am so happy to find this forum! I have no knitting friends in real... expect my grandma, of course :D

grneyzz
06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi!

This is my second post :) I had to post picture of the new sweater (plain as it is) that I finsihed for my son.

I have been knitting for a couple years but most of that time was busy being a single mom to an infant. Hes now 15 months and I have decided to set out now to make Christmas Sweaters for both of us. Well see how it goes.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

lulahknits
06-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 38 yrs. old and have been knitting for a very long time. I just found this site while on another knitting board I frequently visit. It looks like you have wonderful information here and lots of friendly people. Looking forward to posting here often. :D Pam

fruitcake
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone! :waving:

I'm fruitcake, I'm 22 and I'm a student in the UK. I really enjoy knitting - I'm not very good yet, but its so relaxing and theraputic. A few years ago my gran taught me the basics, and ever since I've just really, really enjoyed it! None of my friends are into knitting like I am - although some of them would like me to teach them how to start! :thumbsup:

Its so nice to find a forum like this; I'm sure it will help me get better :XX: :happydance:

lulahknits
06-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi fruitcake,
I am new to this forum too. I agree that knitting is very theraputic. Good luck with your future projects!

dustinac
06-15-2006, 08:00 AM
:cheering: Welcome everyone to the forum!! You guys will love it here and there is always someone here to help with a question :thumbsup:

Shandeh
06-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Sandy was kind enough to set up a post for me to introduce myself.

My name is Michelle, and I live in central Alabama. It is great because we are close to the beach and mountains. I am the mother of 3 precious children 11, 9, and 5, and my dh will be celebrating our 20th anniversary this summer. I love to knit, sew, and garden. There are many more hobbies, but those are my top 3 ;)

I stopped by on Monday, and I have been coming by to visit everyday! There is so much great info here, and alot of friendly people!

Below there is a link to my blog. I look forward to haning out with everyone here!
http://greatefulgirl.blogspot.com/

KnittyLou
06-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi, I just found this site today while I was trying to figure out what the knitting technique was called (continental) that I learned 26 years ago. I now remember how to do it, and also remember that I never could do the purling stitch very well.

The videos are great and I am sharing this site with other friends who are wanting to learn to knit!

KnittyLou

PS I am 60 years old. My first experience with knitting was the first day of first grade. I would not go to school until my mom sat with me and showed me how to knit. It was a very fast class indeed. But I have enjoyed knitting and crocheting for a lonnnng time. :XX: Most lately a few friends and my daughter (32) are getting together once a week to knit or crochet and teach some other youngsters (under the age of 12 I think - one is 8, one 11, one mabye 12).

I noticed this is an international forum! :cheering: Great! someone is from the Netherlands - I have a lot of Dutch in my family tree and German and English.

I hope to visit here often. :lol:

Shandeh
06-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Knitty Lou! So nice to have you in the forum. I'm sure your experience and stories will be fun!

:waving:

SimplyKaar
06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
:waving: Hi KnittyLou. Do you also know where in the Netherlands your ancestors (sp?) come from?

I think it's great that you've taken up your knitting again :thumbsup: Have fun on here and with your knitting!

KnittyLou
06-17-2006, 08:06 PM
SimplyKaar - no I don't know where they are from really :thinking: . They go way way back. It seems that one couple made it to the US around New York in the 1600's. That is on my father's side.

KnittyLou

IndefatigableL
06-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Hello, hello. I've already made a couple posts in the forums, and I just noticed this exists!

I'm 19, and I've been knitting for a couple years now. However, I have never finished a project. I can do fair isle, lace, cables, and I can knit in the round, but I have this horrible tendency to abandon projects! I'm working on Lucky from SnBN (hopefully it'll be my first finished project!) so the KAL is where I'll be mainly.

I test games and am saving money for college, where I hope to get a degree in epidemiology.

Me in a nutshell!

-L

SimplyKaar
06-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey L. :waving:
Glad you found us! I know what you mean about never finishing a project, I do the same thing :) Once I've figured out the "new"ness of it, I'll get interested in something else because there's still so much new stuff out there that I would like to try! I've decided last week that it's time to finish up the Unfinished Objects and I put them in clear view so hopefully they will actually get done now :D

Good luck on finishing your first project! I'm sure with the ladies in the KAL to encourage you, you'll do fine.

SimplyKaar - no I don't know where they are from really :thinking: . They go way way back. It seems that one couple made it to the US around New York in the 1600's. That is on my father's side.

KnittyLou

ahhh! I always forget that so many Americans have a knowledge about their familytree going back forever!
A lot less Dutch would know where their ancestors hung out back during the 1600's :D

KnittyLou
06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
ahhh! I always forget that so many Americans have a knowledge about their familytree going back forever!
A lot less Dutch would know where their ancestors hung out back during the 1600's :D[/quote]

SimplyKaar - I had to go look. Waaaaaay back We had Webbers in Amsterdam and a Bogardus (Bogaert) in Veenendaal, Utrecht. There was one named Wolfert Webber de Oude. and some from Belgin too. Like most Americans, I am truly a Heinz-57! Do you suspose my ancestors knitted? I bet some of them did. :XX:

janie
06-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Awesome site. I love it. My name is Jane. I am a true left handed knitter. I've just started knitting again & am enjoying trying new patterns. My 15 year old DD & I just finished up a beginners class and she is a pro already. Finished her first felted bag in one week :thumbsup: While I'm not as good as she is, I intend on getting better with practice. And yes...I cast on, on the right handed needle and knit and throw with the left hand - completly backward from my daughter, so we are no good to each other for help :D

I've already found a lot of answers to ???? I had just by browsing the forums. You ladies rock!

SandraEllen
06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi, all.
I taught myself how to knit from a booklet about a year and a half ago and then found this site when i tried to knit something from a pattern. K2tog??? what does that mean? :D The abbreviations page is super useful. Anyway, I've been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to join.
I'm a fairly crafty person (scrapbook and sewing), but I knit a lot more than I do my other crafts. Knitting isn't very mentally demanding so I knit a lot while I'm watching TV.
So hi everyone!

Jeremy
06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi, :D Welcome

IndianPrincessSIP
06-23-2006, 03:46 AM
Welcome ! :cheering:

SandraEllen~
Did you find out that K2tog means knit two stitches together? At the top of the page there are tabs to wonderful videos. The one for K2tog is in the Basic Section ~ Decrease
Here's the link and again Welcome.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php

MzKtKat
06-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello All! I am just starting to knit. I haven't even begun a project yet, just practicing my knit stitch. I love this site! It has everything a novice would want!
:heart:

Mz Ktkat

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Welcome to KH!!!!

Mrs.H
06-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi, my name is Linda and I am a novice knitter, and I adore this website. I found it thanks to a referral from a knitter on the DIY message board. I can here at first to watch the video clips, to fix my messed up knitting style, and it worked. :happydance: I even bought the DVD to have a quick reference when I can't be online. So far I have finished 2 dish cloths(in different patterns), and I am know about haft way through the "easy triangle shawl" pattern I found here. I am now as addicted to knitting as I am to wearing shawls, which I wear most of the time due to my bad shoulders.
I am married grandma, retired early due to a disability. I love being able to spend plenty to time with my grand children(6), doing arts and crafts(knitting), cooking, knitting, reading, and now teaching 2 of my granddaughters how to knit. We'll be adding onto our knitting skills as we advance through our different projects together.
Linda

Ingrid
06-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Welcome, everyone! :waving:

grneyzz
06-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Yayay..a left handed knitter. I am not alone!!

And L, I am in Seattle too!

KnittyLou
06-26-2006, 01:53 AM
I just got back from a 4 day trip to Memphis, TN with some friends. I took along a little knitting - I became intrigued with "shadow" knitting after I bought a book at Hobby Lobby marked down from 19.99 to 3.49! how could I pass it up. It is called Shadow Knitting by Vivian Hoxbro who is from Denmark I think. Her website is www. viv.dk if you want to look at what shadow knitting is.

I need to settle down. While in Memphis I visited a Michael's and bought some yarn on sale ($2 / skein instead of the usualy $4.57 or whatever) so I bought 4. (Lion brand Homespun).

Where can one find double pointed needles? I have been looking for some in size 9 but all i have found so far are the small sizes. I have those already.

KnittyLou (Linda)

knit-errant
06-26-2006, 07:16 AM
I've been here for a week or two, but since I'm ultra cool and observant, I didn't notice this thread til now!

I'm 29, a stay-home mom, and will be married for 10 years this August. I'm a fairly new knitter -- only knitting about six months -- but I've been crocheting off and on for about 10 years.

I'm also into beadwork and chainmaille, gardening, cooking, cars, video games, and anime. My husband teases me that I'm a 15 year old boy trapped in a woman's body. Heh. :thumbsup:

Good to meet everybody!

Beee
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Hello everybody,

So pleased to meet ya!

I am Beee and I just learned how to knit in Feb.

After knitting some in-the-round ponchos/capelets, I am now mesmerized by Lace...

Can't wait to talk and learn from you!

Beee

Lieke
06-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi everybody

I'll introduce myself. I'm Lieke, 21 years old and I'm psychology student. I'm from the Netherlands, where knitting is starting to get populair. Unfotunately not populair enough for fora with a lot of visitors, so that's why I'm going to try an American one. I hope you all understand what I'm writing, cause my English isn't great.

Greets Lieke

Ingrid
06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Your English is fine! We have another Dutch knitter here. Her blog is here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1258&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

And welcome to all our new knitters! This is a fun place to hang out. :thumbsup:

sop 1
06-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi everybody

I'll introduce myself. I'm Lieke, 21 years old and I'm psychology student. I'm from the Netherlands, where knitting is starting to get populair. Unfotunately not populair enough for fora with a lot of visitors, so that's why I'm going to try an American one. I hope you all understand what I'm writing, cause my English isn't great.

Greets Lieke

Welcome! :D
Your English is wonderful! :thumbsup: I have friends in Amsterdam and I cannot imagine being able to converse with them in Dutch. I, too, was a Psychology student; a long time ago. You will enjoy this forum and all the great help you will get.

Sop 1 in North Carolina :XX:

Shandeh
06-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi Lieke! :waving:

Nice to meet you. :D

Mrs.H
06-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi everybody

Greets Lieke

Hi Lieke, your doing fine with your english, I hope you enjoy this forum. I am also a new member, and I am learning a lot here.
Linda

CountryCrafter
06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Hello Everyone!

My name is April and I am new to this site and knitting too! I have finished my second dishcloth, working on my third and I think I might be ready to move on to a square for a premie blanket!

I have been lurking here and I have read thru pg. 65 of this forum and watched the videos which have been so helpful.

I am Mom to 4 kids and we live out in the country but I have found a LYS about 45 min away so I may just have to take a little trip very soon!

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Happy Knitting! :XX:

Ingrid
06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Welcome April!! :waving:

rebecca
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM
:waving: Hey new people :waving:
Welcome to the forum :D

Shandeh
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Welcome! :sunny:

Andrea
06-30-2006, 03:02 PM
:waving: Welcome new members!! :waving:

The Spider
07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi. I've been trying to learn to knit for years, and have had nothing but trouble trying to decipher poorly drawn diagrams and bad photographs from books. I would try, and then give up, try and then give up... then I found this site, and its videos were exactly what I needed! It all makes sense now, and I'm able to follow some beginner's patterns quite easily.

Right now I'm pretty fascinated with shadow knitting, but I'd like to eventually try a modest sweater or something that isn't just a straight, scarf-bar.

Soon enough, I hope to live up to my forum name :D

G'day!

The Spider
07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi. I've been trying to learn to knit for years, and have had nothing but trouble trying to decipher poorly drawn diagrams and bad photographs from books. I would try, and then give up, try and then give up... then I found this site, and its videos were exactly what I needed! It all makes sense now, and I'm able to follow some beginner's patterns quite easily.

Right now I'm pretty fascinated with shadow knitting, but I'd like to eventually try a modest sweater or something that isn't just a straight, scarf-bar.

Soon enough, I hope to live up to my forum name :D

G'day!

Ingrid
07-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Welcome all!

Don't mind the duckies :rofling: . It's just a kind of mass hysteria!!

Lily-girl
07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Hello all! I'm Lily, i'm 25 and currently living with my parents in Tokyo, but moving out, to Brooklyn, NY, in August. Let me tell you, yarn shopping in Japan is an experience for a foreigner. But i've learnt the characters for 'wool' and 'cotton' already!

A friend told me about this website when i told her i had a knitting project i wanted to try, but was pretty clueless. The videos saved my life, and you guys have been such a help! I spent a whole week trying out swatches of different lace patterns, they're so much fun. I'm chugging along on my dream-shrug (if i ever get it done i'll post pictures) but now that the weather's hit 90degrees, i think i'll be searching for tank top patterns instead! Cheers!

Angelia
07-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Welcome Lily! :waving:

Welcome all new KHers!! :waving:

jazzyp
07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi,

My name is Angela and I live in the UK. I have a baby girl (nearly a year old) and am nearing the end of maternity leave. Oh, well at least I can take my knitting to work and not worry about curious hands investigating it!

I'm so glad I found this website, it's excellent, especially the vidoes (discovered i've been doing yo the wrong way :oops: !)

I would say I'm definately a beginner, I've only made a couple of ponchos - one for me and one for my little girl. My mum was visiting from New Zealand when I picked up the needles, so I had a lot of expert help at the beginning, but she's since gone home and none of my friends knit so can't go to them when I get stuck!

I look forward to seeing more of everyones creations on the site.

Jan in CA
07-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Welcome to all the newbies! :cheering:

Pamapaloza
07-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone! I thought I would give a formal intro before I jump over with my questions on a shrug I am attempting to make.

I first learned to crochet and knit when I was 7. I have been crocheting ever since. Knitting, not so much. A few months ago I decided to try and knit again and had to re-teach myself. Well thanks to this site I have found I made up a continental mirror thing that leaves twisted stitches. So far it has not mattered as I have only been making scarves, and simple things in garter stitch. I am glad I found out now.

So, Thank you to Amy and everyone for this great site! :XX: I look forward to moving from beginner to intermediate along with all the other newbies!

brooke_nicole24
07-07-2006, 04:07 AM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to take an opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Brooke, I am 23yo, and I just began knitting about 3 weeks ago. I can't believe how fast I have taken to it. I really thought I was going to struggle with it for a while in the beginning, but I am already feeling confidnet enough to try more difficult projects. I am almost done with my first scarf....yay! This website has really helped me get started! Knitting has quickly become one of my favorite things to do. :D

karatejen
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Jen. I have been knitting for about 7 months now and have been hanging around this site for just as long.

My son is 19 months and I primarily make wook soakers, shorties, and the such for diaper covers.

I love this place.

KnittyKitty
07-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi, I've been lurking for awhile now and I want to introduce myself. I've been knitting on and off from the time I was a little girl. One major problem I am having now, which I didn't realise I had in the past, is that of the types of yarns to be used for different projects. Here in Barbados, the only yarn that I have found is 100% acrylic and most of the time its in 4-ply! So that does not make for a nice cardigan or anything that is wearable for this weather! I've since discovered elann.com and they had helped me determine what types of yarn would be best for this weather and for a good result. So armed with that info, I bought a cotton blend and now am working on a cardigan. I'm not a pro by far and still have lots of questions (I only recently through the videos learnt the correct way to join in a new skein of yarn! when I was younger I would tie knots in the yarn to connect them! :oops: ) I just might post my WIP but its not much to see as yet.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself!

Lisa

mrs drudge
07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Hello, everyone - I have been lurking a while after discovering the 'how to ' videos - I have just got back into knitting. I used to knit before having children - in fact my last weeks wages before the birth of my eldest was spent on yarn! I still have some of it and he is now 21! Three children, house moves and work put a stop to it.
I have now dragged out all my needles and started again - so far have knit a cashmere lace shawl and pair of socks.
I have another shawl, another pair of socks and something square made out of sari silk on the needles (not sure whether that last is going to be a cushion or a bag!)
As well as the 21 year old, I have a 19 year old daughter and a 17 year old son, 3 chickens, 2 cats, a gerbil and a husband - not listed in any order of importance!
We live in a chaotic and untidy house in Kent, England - but visit the States as often as we can afford it.
Good to meet you all
Liz

sop 1
07-08-2006, 11:36 AM
:waving: Welcome! You will really enjoy and benefit from this site. Really nice folks too. :D
Susan the Sop 1 in NC

Ingrid
07-08-2006, 02:16 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!!! :D

Shandeh
07-08-2006, 02:34 PM
How nice to see more new members! Welcome to the group! :waving:

Lisa, you've had quite an adventure looking for yarn. I laughed out loud when I read that your area only has 4 ply acrylic! (Maybe you can change that soon. Hey! Open your own yarn store!) :figureditout:

Liz, it's good to hear that knitting has found rebirth in your home. :D

KnittyKitty
07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Sandy, maybe I should open that store... although, I'm not sure how many people down here are knitting anymore... here, its something associated with grannies. Its not hip and cool like it is in the big countries. Shame.

Shandeh
07-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes, you SHOULD open that store. Hang lots of cool knitted garments and wraps in the display case, and put plenty of hip patterns in the books for them to leaf through. Have classes and sell lots of fun yarns! I wish I could join you!

elfwynn
07-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Howdy! I'm new to knitting. I can't remember exactly when I started but I think it's been about 4-5 months now. I bought the first Stitch 'n Bitch book and now I'm hooked. I did a couple of small practice projects and then I have been working on a tote bag to carry around my current project. I finished that a couple of weeks ago and just want to line it now (got the material and just need to sit down and do it). My sister is expecting a baby (any day now) and so I'm almost finished with a stuffed bunny for the new baby. I'll post pictures of both projects when I finish.

Other than knitting, my two hobbies are reading (I mostly read fantasy) and cross stitching. I am working on my PhD in medieval literature, so I don't have a lot of free time, but I like to fill in my time whenever I do end up with some "free" and I'm finding that knitting is a really great project for that time. I'm married (just celebrated our 6th anniversary) with no kids. But we do have 3 cats (Merlin, Samwise, Guenevere), which act a lot like kids sometimes!

I am delighted to find this board and website and hope to gets lots of great advice and ideas - and maybe even provide a bit in return some day!

Ladybug Lady
07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Welcome, you'll love it here!!!!! :D

rebecca
07-10-2006, 03:44 PM
hello :waving: and welcome new people...u will love it around here ;)

niferzilla
07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am a web designer from Fort Frances, Ontario, currently living in Burlington Ontario.

I have just started knitting and find myself to be getting a little addicted to it!

I wish I could tell you wonderful stories about my grandmother teaching me, but even though she was a wonderful knitter and a talented crochet-er, she was not a patient of sweet granny at all - and always told me my finger were too short in order to avoid the subject!

Grandma has been gone for about 2 years now and while doing the laundry, I came across one of my well worn wash cloths that Grandma had knitted. I was running out of them.

My mittens were getting full of holes too. The next day I was getting a ride from a friend, and she had a bag full of lovely yarn and a half finished scarf. She had been teaching herself to knit, and I realized for the first time that I didn't need my Grandmother to teach me.

That was about 4 months ago. Now I have 5 projects on the go, and can't stop buying yarn.

Thank you for this site :) :sunny:

Shandeh
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
What a neat story! Isn't it great to be able to do anything you want by just coming to your computer? The knitting videos on this site will help if you have any questions.

Have fun knitting and welcome to the forum! :D

yiayiabryant
07-10-2006, 11:52 PM
I have recently joined this forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Maria. My mother tried her best to teach me to knit. She was a wonderful knitter, she always had needles in her hands, and many projects going. When she died my sister and I spent several days just sorting it all out.

I had taught myself to crochet and did knit some, but after I got married to my wonderful husband Bill (we just celebrated our 30th anniversary on July 3), had our son Kenny who is now 28 and our daughter Sabrina who is 20, I went back to work and there was no time for knitting. Then my son who is married to Karen has given us two beautiful grandaughters Khloe 5 & Kayla 3. :heart:
After Kayla was born with many medical issues she spent the first 6 months of her little life in the NICU in Dallas and had received hats and blankets that were knitted and crocheted and donated to the hospital. I knew that was something I could do, not only for her but for the other babies. So I got out the needles yarn and a book and relearned. I had made hats and booties while I sat in the hospital. Now at the age of 3 she still has some problems but she is great along with her sister!
I have recently started a prayer shawl ministry at our church. I know my mother is laughing because I have already had ladies want ME to teach them how to knit. I know one thing I will give them this web site it is great! I wanted to learn to make socks and after reading about the cometosilver.com web site I am almost through with my very first sock. I am thrilled to find this site and look forward to Knitting with all of you. :sunny:

Gone to Buy More Yarn,
Maria (aka: YiaYia greek for grandma)

P.S. We also live with a very prissy old calico named Callie, and a spoiled rotten daschound named Gabby.

Jan in CA
07-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the new members!

jod.beav
07-11-2006, 01:29 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have been a knitter and frogger for the relaxation aspect as I have been taking nursing pre-requisites. I am now in the program and want to start knitting tangible projects to knit with me.

Thank you for all of the inspirations!

brownishcoat
07-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Yay, 2 new Texans! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Maria, I drive through Lufkin on the way to visit my mother, which means I drove through there Sunday on my way home. Small world! :D

SandraEllen
07-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Welcome to everyone! I can't believe how many people have joined since i did (about 1.5 months ago)!!!!
:happydance:

gottaknit
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Heather. I am 31, married and have 4 kids, ages 11, 9, 7, and 5 1/2. The three oldest are girls and the youngest our only boy.
I am just learning how to knit. I don't know what got me started. I spend alot of time at Michaels because I scrapbook and I love all of the yarn, which I use in scrapbooking. I guess I just decided it would be fun to knit. So here I am. I cannot seem to get the knitting with needles thing so I am signing up for classes next month. I did discover the knifty knitter loom thing and love that.

Nice to meet you all
Heather

ChrissyB
07-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Chrissy. I am 28, have 1 son Logan who is 15 months, married to my great hubby for 4 years. I started knitting about 4 years ago, I taught myself from a magazine article in Marthat Stewart Living, then bought a couple of books. I mostly stuck to very basic knitting because the more difficult stuff is hard to learn from a book. :thinking: I was getting very bored with scarfs and basic stuff, then found this site, woohoo. :happydance: I am hoping to knit up some stuff for christmas gifts this year, so here goes! So far I am really enjoying all the great advice and patterns I am finding here, thanks!
Chrissy

waterflowsliktears
07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Hi, my names brit. I'm kinda new to knitting, but i do infact find it to be a lot of fun. but in all reality, I kinda need all the help I can get. I am 18, and headed off to college in like a month. Do you ladies find knitting relaxing? Anyways, I have some instructions for a scarf that I can not for the life of me decipher, and lucky me gets confused easily. Anyone know what K2 or K3 means?

Jenelle
07-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Hello brit! Welcome to the site! :waving:

K2 means to knit 2.
K3 means to knit 3.

noraneka
07-20-2006, 03:22 AM
hello, my name is noraneka and i've been knitting for i think 2 weeks now. i've learn how to knit thanks to this website and i'm really greatful that there's people who are kind enough to put up how to knit video up on the website. i'm not great at kniting, but i really enjoy the process. hopefully with more practice, i'll get good enough to make a black cat hat

Angelia
07-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Welcome all!! :waving:

Ingrid
07-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Wow! I haven't popped in here for a while! Lots of new people! Welcome everyone! :waving:

waterflowsliktears
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Hello brit! Welcome to the site! :waving:

K2 means to knit 2.
K3 means to knit 3.

thanks! i really needed that :D

Hi Everyone :cheering:

JillAZ
07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to introduce myself. I have been knitting for about 8 months and just love it! I really enjoy making felted bags and have just fininshed my third one. Now I am working on a hat knitted on dp's. They take a little getting used to but I am getting the hang of it! My DH and I have been married 21 years and we have 5 kids, ages 17 - 6. Knitting is my little escape! This site is wonderful and I have found the videos very helpful. Everyone here seems so friendly and I have really enjoyed reading about what everyone is working on.
Happy Knitting!
Jill :D

sop 1
07-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Welcome all you new folks! :happydance:
You will very much enjoy this forum. Nice people who almost instantly answer questions and give encouragement. :thumbsup:

Susan the Sop 1 in NC

jjminarcik
07-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I am finally introducing myself after being a member and reading the forums for awhile. I am 26 years old, married to a pilot, mommy to doggie Cisco and kitty, Griffin (no real kids yet). We live in Texas, but I'm from Atlanta, GA and miss it soooo much! I've been knitting for about 2 months now (because of this wonderful site!) and I know it's my new long-term hobby.

I love warm weather, reading, Sudoku puzzles, knitting, and flamingos.

We don't know a lot of people in our new place, so hopefully this can help me meet a whole new network of knitting friends!

So nice to meet you all!

Jenelle
07-22-2006, 03:22 AM
Welcome to the site! :waving:

sop 1
07-22-2006, 10:19 AM
:D Welcome! You will love this forum. :heart: I lived in Atlanta for 6 years and still miss all the Peachtrees!!
Sop 1

jjminarcik
07-23-2006, 12:38 AM
:D Welcome! You will love this forum. :heart: I lived in Atlanta for 6 years and still miss all the Peachtrees!!
Sop 1

Me, too!!!!! I think I would give my right arm to be back there again. Okay, well maybe not the arm because then I couldn't knit, so maybe a leg. :lol:

Andi-mame
07-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm brand new to knitting. I wanted to learn how to knit because I'm told it's relaxing and productive. Debbie Macomber's two books about a yarn store were further inspiration! :D
So far I'm more frustrated than relaxed, but it's quite addictive! On my first day at this site I already learned why my stitches turn out too tight and I'm ready to repair that!
I hope to knit socks one day, scarves and bags. If my scrapbooking habit is any indication, I'll probably buy more knitting stuff than I can use!
I look forward to learning from you all! :thumbsup:

Mrs.H
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi Andi-mame, I also found Amy's videos to be very helpful in getting my knitting to flow more smoothly. I think I would have given up in frustration without them. As to buying more supplies(our stashes)than we need, :shock: , well that's just part of the fun. I enjoy the hunt for nice yarn's at discounted prices. :D
Linda

Mommy2chipmunk
07-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Hi...newbie knitter here. I have only been knitting for a few months now, along with major crocheting. I have been a crocheter for about 23 years now, but finally got the nerve to take a knitting class! I am quickly becoming addicted, and want to learn so much more. I just found this site, and am anxious to see what kind of advice and inspiration I can get from you all!

knitmonkey
07-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I've been knitting off and on (mostly off) for a few years. I'm trying to be brave and branch out from scarves and hats. I love this site for its inspiration and advice.

Alae
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi,
I've just joined this site and would like to introduce myself. I live in southwest Missouri. I'm 21 years old.
I just started to teach myself knitting a few weeks ago. I really wish I had been taught when I was younger, but no one in my family does it. :crying: I have fallen completely in love with knitting. :inlove: I've found it to be very relaxing and rewarding. Thanks for letting me join your group.
Hope you have a great day,
Alae
(I'm female, as I know my name will throw you, so I thought I would tell you.)

AnreeAce
07-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Welcome to all the new members! :cheering: :cheering:

You've come to the right place, I promise!

jberry16
07-28-2006, 06:28 PM
My name is Julie, new to knitting, mother of 2; ages 27 months and 4 months. I am a homemaker and finally found my hobby after 20some years, I enjoy the challenges of knitting and the relaxing ability of the hobby. I live in Rio Rancho, NM. :XX:

Sherry
07-29-2006, 09:06 AM
A few months ago I taught myself to knit and I'm totally addicted!! :XX: I'm so glad I found this site, it has been so helpful to me! I recently moved from Louisiana to Ohio and during the VERY LONG and VERY COLD winter I decided I needed a hobby. So, I went to Wal-Mart, bought me some yarn, needles and a how-to book and the rest is history!! :D

martyr
07-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello I'm a newbie, but not to knitting. I returned to needlework about 2 years ago after about a 15 years absense. I'm a new grandmother

Is there any trick to unwind a skein of yarn without hugh tangles - by yourself. My DH has helped and that worked better. Yesterday it took me 3 hours to get one done! I have a ball winder -its the twists and tangles coming from the skein, that are giving me fits.
Does any one know why they do this rather than the balls that pull?

jberry16
07-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Is there any trick to unwind a skein of yarn without hugh tangles - by yourself. My DH has helped and that worked better. Yesterday it took me 3 hours to get one done! I have a ball winder -its the twists and tangles coming from the skein, that are giving me fits.
Does any one know why they do this rather than the balls that pull?

I personally think they just do it to annoy us. I think there is someone laughing in a factory somewhere just thinking about how annoyed we get un rolling their balls of yarn.
Sorry, I don't have a solution for your problem, just wanted to share my agrivation with you.

Ingrid
07-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Lots of yarns come in hanks that need to be rolled. I guess the mill isn't equipped to roll them? Many of us have a yarn swift to hold the yarn hank as we roll them into balls on a ball winder. Some people put the yarn on the back of a chair to hold it, too.

Mrs.H
07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Un-wind the skein onto a swift, then rewind it into the balls you need. The swift I have can be simply placed on the floor, or on a table top. It is way less expensive than the umbrella style, and I think better suited for knitters like me. I just use mine for rewinding large skeins into more portable sized balls, and rescuing yarn that has become a narlly tangled mess. The one I bought cost about $35.00, including shipping, I bought mine on ebay, and have seen several others like it on there since then. If you or your husband enjoy woodworking you could make your own in a couple of days easily.
Lest I forget, welcome to the wonderful world of grandchildren! :cheering: :cheering: I have 6 to date, 5 girls, 1 boy, and we still have one daughter(26 and the baby of our family) hoping to give us a couple more in the future.
Linda

Liliyarn
07-30-2006, 04:04 AM
Greetings everyone! Been lurking for some time, but thought I'd finally try to join in on the fun. 28 yrs old self taught knitter for several years now, no children only the best DH ever and a Ragdoll cat named Kashmir. The three of us live in upstate SC.

I was reading the posts and thought "Wow, great knitters think alike!" The July project is a felted item. I'm making my first booda bag. (I'm behind the times, it's probably an out of date knit by now). And I'm starting my fetching gloves Monday with my knit group. :cheering:

I also have two fair isle projects in the wings. So, I'm sure I'll have lots of posts screaming "Help me..." I've only done tiny bits of fair isle.

I am learning to spin as well. Been spinning on a wheel for about three months.

I won't ramble on too much here. I'll save it for later.

sop 1
07-30-2006, 11:24 AM
:D Welcome Lily!
You are in upstate SC and I am in the south of NC! I am relatively new too and really enjoy this forum.

Sop 1

CurlyBrunette
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I finally took the plunge and registered today. I was lurking and reading posts for a couple of weeks now and have been teaching myself to knit and have been learning as much as I can over the past few weeks. This site is wonderful and totally responsible for my obsession with knitting (and crochet)!. I have been crocheting since I was 10 years old and my aunt was teaching me how to knit but sadly she died and no one else in my family knit (my other aunt crochets) so I stopped. Since being diagnosed with breast cancer in February I thought it would be a great thing to pick up. I can feel that I am doing something and making nice things for people and myself! I also thought that its relaxing and I can do it while I recouperate from my surgery thats coming up (8/15). Now I am TOTALLY addicted to knitting. I am 35 years old, have been married for almost 8 years and have 2 children, a girl who is 6 and a boy, 3.
I am in the middle of a few projects:
A washcloth set that I am making for me or my mom, I am not sure yet!
I completed a scarf for my Dad with one skein of Lions Brand Fisherman's yarn that could be longer but its nice none the less.
A scarf for my mom in Lions brand Fun Fur yarn in confetti.
Crochet- a throw that I am going to keep in my room on the pink chair I have. Its pink and lavender striped. My room is lavender so it matches perfectly.
I am going to take a private lesson at this wonderful knitting store in my town that has the most gorgeous yarns. I figured they can see if I have a good technique and teach me how to do more than straight needle work. Everytime I go into this store I come out with more yarn! I have a bag full of all kinds in my closet right now and its still not enough.
Thanks for this wonderful forum and all the great advice!

nicknit_70
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Hi Knitters,

I am still a newbie knitter - now knitting for I think about 7weeks and can I just say... I am totally addicted! I have not had a hobbie in I don't know how long and I am loving that I can do something that I find so relaxing.

I reckon it's the best therapy for relaxation!!!!

I love this site Amy has put together and mailed her a few weeks back to let her know - it has really helped me with learning some stuff and the knitters are all fabulous and more than ready to help.

Plus! It's nice to see and read comments from others who won't think you are a bit freaky because you have become so passionate about knitting!!!

Hope everyone is going fab with their knitting projects.

Ciou,

nicknit

dimples
08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Hello,

I'm from SW Michigan, and I am just learning to knit. I found this website when I was looking for online help. I just got the stuff I needed to get started yesterday. I was looking at some instruction books, and was having a hard time with it. :thinking:
So, I got online, and watched your videos, and viola, I figured it out! :thumbsup:

Now, I am hooked! I :heart: it! I can't wait to figure it all out and get the confidence to try my first project.

Thanks for a great website!

Sincerely,
Dimples

"Hooked" on Knitting :XX:

dustinac
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
:cheering: Welcome everyone!! Knitting is so addicting.. can't wait to see everyone's projects and if you need help just ask.. someone is always here to help :thumbsup:

katy
08-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi! I'm Katy, and I taught myself to knit this past Christmas.

I heard about this website, and because of it I can use dpns!! Thanks so much!!

:XX: :XX:

AnreeAce
08-07-2006, 05:59 PM
:waving:

Welcome to all the new members!

yarnfreak
08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi everybody. I just started knitting about, oh, maybe two months ago. I had been looking for something different to do other than crochet. I love it! Right now I'm waiting on the clog pattern and some WOTA. Till then, I'm playing with different sock patterns. Gotta have something to keep me busy for the last few months of DHs deployment. Besides, he feeds my yarn addiction - lol! :-) Anyway, I've been lurking for some time, and decided it was time to come into the light.

Susan

suzeeq
08-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Heya,

I guess it's about time I introduced myself since I've been posting here for 4 days.... I taught myself self to knit eons ago in high school, did a few things a year for a while then more or less stopped about 12 years ago. Last year I got inspired to take it up again and haven't quit!!! Have several WIPs and lots of stash, old and new. Good thing for the stash - I'm currently in south central MI, but we're moving to Wyoming in a month or so and there's only a Hobby Lobby, WalMart, Hancock Fabrics and one LYS to feed my habit. This is the second largest city in the state. At least we'll have internet access...

Really like this board, it's now the third one I'm following. After I move and have to get a real job (as opposed to a well paying part time one) I don't know if I'll have time to keep up.

sue

stitchwitch
08-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi, my name is Lori and I live in Florida. I'm 39 and just started knitting last week with the help of this site! I love it! My grandmother knitted and crocheted but I didn't have the opportunity to have her teach me so I'm starting from scratch. I'm enjoying my new adventure.

jod.beav
08-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone!! Welcome to KH (Knitting Help) There are a bunch of people here who are more than willing to answer your knitting questions.

So if it feels like you are doing this: :wall: , eventually it will become :grphug: and xxx

Obviously I am still trying to figure out the font colors. Oh Well.

Edited to remove the color tags.

sweet_pea200202
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello everyone, I found this site while looking up hot to read a pattern for a kit my girlfriend gave me to make for her. (shes expecting a baby girl soon, Yasmin Odiana (pronounced ah-dee-anna), her first daughter is named Lillianna Jasmine. She said since I had more time on my hands than her she automatically assumed I knew how to knit & would make it for her.

Anywho's I'm 22, love arts & crafts stuff although I do not have alot of time during the day to really do much of it, I'm usually busy with a part-time job, cooking, cleaning & caring for a cat, dog & two huge fish tanks.

Andrea
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Wow! There's been a lot of new members in the last few days! Welcome!! :muah:

You all will love it here! If you have any questions, ask away! There are so many topics to browse through, and of course, Amy's videos are absolutely the best!!

Oh, and we :heart: looooooove :heart: pictures of knitting and pets!!

Angelia
08-10-2006, 11:38 AM
:muah: :muah: Welcome everyone!!!

Yes, please post photos--pets, projects, yarn, babies...! We love them all!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi new members!!! :muah:

Feel free to PM any of the Mod Squad if you have specific questions about where to find things on the site, how to navigate the forums, or the text effects.

You can post questions about knitting in the HOW TO forum (clock here) (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6), and don't forget to use our FABULOUS search feature located at the top of every page.... chances are, if you have a question, 10 other people had the same question too, and the answer is just waiting for you to find it :thumbsup:

We strive to make this a knitting family, not just a forum. Check out the Blog Threads (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=5) for a glimpse into our members' lives... sometimes TMI :teehee: but always full of friendship and support.

We have several Knit-a-Longs (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) going all the time... there is a "challenge" every month, and several members have joined the "year of the sweater" knit alongs, and they're working on their *third* sweater this year! You can join or start a knit-a-long anytime :-) Don't forget to post your process and FO (finished object) in the Watcha Knittin (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) forum!

Got Yarn? Need more? (yes, you do) If you have something to trade or sell, or are looking for notions, good deals on needles, or books, check out the Buy Sell Swap (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) forum.

Finally, if you're into spinning your own yarn---or if you WANT to be (we are great enablers here!)---check out the Spinning Forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=10).

Welcome! Have fun, make friends, and KNIT! :-)

carolejshaffer
08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi,

My name is Carole and i'm new. I've never knit in my life but i'm starting to be interested in it and i need a lot of help. I need to know where to start. I don't know anything. What to buy to start with??? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ingrid
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Welcome Carole! Check out this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/) page. It has some good tips on what to get and on what size needles to start with.

And don't forget--if you get stuck or need moral support, there are a bunch of friendly knitters around her who love to share their passion!

Welcome to all our other new friends, too! :waving:

MAmaDawn
08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
I've been on here a few times and have leaked for a while, but decided to introduce myself.

My name is Dawn and I live in VA with my husband :heart: and 2 dd ages 4 and 1.:star: We have 2 dogs and a cat.

I learned to knit when I was about 9 from my grandmother. I knitted (with her help) a baby blanket for my brother. But until I had my own I didn't knit anything else. I got a video about 4 years ago and retaught myself how to knit. I love knitting becasue it's very relaxing and how I destress. I also feel closer to my grandmother when I knit.

Well that's me in a nutshell.

mamabeth
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi! My name is Beth. I've just started to learn to knit, for about the past week and a half. Previously I've tried to learn with a kit and a book, but the pictures were very confusing and I didn't get anywhere past casting on.

I'm not working any particular project at the moment, just trying to get used to what I'm doing.

To tell you a little bit more about me, I'm a Coast Guard spouse and mother of four children ages 10; 6; 5 and 3. We are an unschooling family. In my spare time I'm a freelance writer and a musician (I ring handbells).

kblue
08-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm kris I'm sort of a newbie. I started knitting mid spring and i've finally gotten the hang of the "basics" stitches of knitting. I made my 2 kids scarves...even thought it was the spring. But being a beginner i wasn't sure how long it was going to take me :teehee: . I've been wanting to make a baby blanket and i think thats on my list of things to knit next. Nothing too hard...Right now the only hard part for me is choosing the type of yarn and the colors :?? . Nobody I know is expecting a baby right now but i'm sure by the time i finish someone will be since a whole bunch of family and friends all of a sudden started get married. Well i'll post again and let you all know how that blanket is comming along :-) .

I love this website. The videos are a big help for me because i can see how to get from step 1 to step 2. Were as in a book they show picture 1 and then picture 2 and you just have to figure it out....then pull the back string through the front loop on the right hand needle blah blah blah and there :?? umm ya ok :doh: hee hee :teehee:

BunnyChick
08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to learn how to knit, just wanted to say Hi!

chan58
08-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Ooops looks like I posted my note in the wrong spot. I hit new topic instead of reply, so I just wanted to say hello and I really like this site. I am 48 and mom to 2; daughter 28 and son 23; hubby and I have been happily married for more than 25 years. Live in London, Ontario Canada. Hope to get some tips and make new knitting friends along the way,
:hug: Diane

lanafaye
08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Too bad we all don't live closer together b/c I bet we could put together one awesome stitch n bitch.

I'm Lana from Omaha.

I got into knitting one year ago when I was on bed rest while prego. A friend who owns/operates a LYS in Sioux City Iowa (SUSAN'S YARN GARDEN http://www.susansyarngarden.com) mailed me some baby yarn, needles, and a book of beginer baby knits. I had nothing else to do on bed rest, so I started to knit and now I'm just an addict. Love it, love it.

I love learning to do new techniques. I love altering patterns to make them more personal / mine.

Hope to chat with you all on the forum.

Jan in CA
08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Welcome to all the new members! I know you'll enjoy your time here and soon become as addicted to the forum as you are to knitting! :cheering:

vlsrn
08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I found this site in Smart Computing Magazine just when I decided to start to knit again after about 20 years. I looked at the videos, to joggle my old brain, and it all came back. I already have posted and recieved a reply about entralac technique. the help was wonderful. I will be visiting here alot!
Thanks for the joy I am feeling about taking back up with my first "sport."
I went through college knitting in classes, and did better than I would have if I had to actually listen to those professors drone on (by the way, I have become one of those). I can cast-on based on in various college subjects including English, French, biology, physics, anthroplogy... :eyebrow:

Vivian

Merryknits
08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Hello, :waving: I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Merryknits. I really enjoy knitting. I'm married and we have three kids and two dogs and two cats and a turtle! This site is wonderful and I hope to get to know other knitters!

amy
08-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Welcome Vivian and Merryknits! :waving: Yeah Vivian, knitting while listening to someone drone on (be it in a class, in a meeting, or talking with a loquatious friend) is perhaps my FAVORITE application of knitting! :teehee:

Mumsy doodles
08-18-2006, 03:11 AM
I've been here for a little while, but have not put anything here. My name is Jennifer. I live on the north coast of OR. I have been knitting since 1996 and have never tired of all the new and interesting things we can knit. Right now, I am venturing into felted projects. Thank you for this site. It has been a big help and fun fellowship.

Jennifer

mks22300
08-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Welcome to all of you new comers! :waving:
You'll have lots of fun here!

bjc1050
08-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Welcome to all you newcomers. This is a great forum for knitters!

Ingrid
08-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I've been gone for a few days, and look at all the new folks! Welcome, everyone! :waving:

knitqueen
08-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Welcome, everyone!! xxx

Mo0nAngel
08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Hiiiiii omgosh this is so exciting! LOL :P
Ok so my name is Rita, I'm new to everything, knitting, this forum and this website... I had never really had an interest in knitting until recently...I don't know why I just felt the urge to learn how to knit, It looked like a fun thing to do...so I googled the words knit online free lessons..lol! and guess what? I found this awesome website!!! :D
So basically I started saturday. And I'm sooo loving it!! :D..The videos here are sooo helpful!!

Ingrid
08-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome! Be careful, though, knitting is addicting! :teehee:

knitty_girl590
08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi! My name is Sarah, and even though I've been to this website before, I've never registered! I like your website amy, and i like it that the patterns are free! I'm teaching my sister to knit right now actually! And I'm finishing up a purple purse with blue stripes, I think it looks pretty neat! lol, bye! :happydance: :heart:

cocacolamama
08-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I am new to knitting and I have started a few small projects. Some I have actually even finished LOL

I can't figure out this pattern. I don't know how exactly to connect the other ear flap to the CO Can anyone help me "decipher" this. I'm sure it is easy, but I am struggling.

Here is the link to the pattern. I want to get this finished before winter hits Utah.

Thanks so much!

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4860628,00.html[/url]

Ingrid
08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Welcome Cokemom! Your link only went to the DIY site. May I suggest that you post your question in the How-To section? It will get more attention there.

psammeadred
08-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Apologies to mods...should have posted my de-lurking message here. Temporary insanity/stupidity, I suppose.

~psammeadred

Ingrid
08-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Apologies to mods...should have posted my de-lurking message here. Temporary insanity/stupidity, I suppose.

~psammeadred

Oh no!! People do that all the time--not a problem, at all! It's just that when questions get posted here they sometimes get overlooked. Feel free to introduce yourself any way you want! :muah:

jcalabro
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone!
I am so excited to find a place like this! I've been around knitting all of my life, but was never interested in learning until recently.
(I mean yesterday when I said recently, btw! LOL!!)
My grandmothers used to knit and crochet things for me when I was little and just took it all for granted, but I got the bug, found a beginning knitting kit yesterday, picked it up and between 9 and 10 last night, I opened the book, picked up the needles and have already knitted about 5 rows.
I couldn't beleive how easy it was once I started. I can see how this is probably going to be very addicting for me!!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I can see that I'm going to be learning a lot while I'm here!

Jenn

LADYDINC
08-21-2006, 10:09 PM
HI everyone my name is Dianne and I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. Like you all I just LOVE knitting. I'm new at this but boy did I get addicted fast. For someone who is new I already have a nice stash of yarn. Some of the yarns I see I feel I must have it. I know you know where I'm coming from.
I work for an surgeon so my M-F is pretty hecktic. I just can't wait to get home relax and pick up my knitting. We have a new shop no our town that one of the retired nurses has open. It is soooooo fine!!! We meet there on Wed. evenings and have a blast. We share ideas and bring a project to work on. She offers alot of classes. I've signed up for a simple lace scarve class which starts in a couple of weeks. I'm sooooo excited.
She was the one who told us about your web-site. I hope to meet alot of new friends and share alot of ideas with you all. Hope to hear from you soon.
Di

MrsSquirty
08-22-2006, 07:07 AM
hello everyone

im new to this site and to knitting

Im Lindsay im 22 and mummy to jamie (4 yrs) and Matthew (2 yrs) got married to Mike in Malta on june 8th 2006

we are trying for baby number 3 at the moment and im hoping to be able to knit baby a blanket.

I got intrested in knitting after reading a book where the 24 yr old character made her own clothes and started her own knitting classes.

Iv always wanted to knit before the book but then had the kids so thought id start now.

love the site, and have learnt already how to cast on, and bind off, and knit and purl altho i still manage to ad a few stitches in somehow lol

well i will sign off here and go read some more posts

look forward to talking to you all

Lindsay
xxXXxx

LoAnnie
08-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, I'm 25 and have just taught myself how to knit. Getting decent at it. I'm sure I will have a great many questions in the near future, so I was very happy to find this great sight. As my husband says, "I am nesting", because I want a baby so badly, i guess that's why I started knitting. Also I'm a chemical engineer, so it is great for relaxing after a hard day at work. So it will be great to hear from all of you.
LoAnnie

Ingrid
08-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Welcome, everyone!! You've joined the best site on the web! :happydance:

Andrea
08-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Hello everyone!!

Can you believe this thread is almost 100 pages long!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Alice's Restaurant
08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi!

I'm Laura. I've been knitting for about 4 years. I love it, but don't have as much time for it as I'd like, with a daughter who will be 2 in October.

I've learned a lot here already, just looking around. Among other things, that you are all "enablers"! :wink:

I'm currently working on my first sock, and a Booga bag (I found out about these here, too). Oh, and a simple feather and fan scarf for my mom. I was a monogamous knitter until recently, and I'm a little worried about whether I'm going to ever finish anything again, or just keep adding more projects.

I'm seriously considering trying Tubey as my first "big" sweater project--my first-ever sweater was a simple crewneck for my girl. Hope it still fits her when the cool weather arrives!

ilemy
08-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi everyone! I'm 15, and I pretty much learned how to knit from this site (i wouldve asked my grandma but she doesnt know how). i just noticed the forum today, but ive been knitting for about a month now. I mainly started knitting to beat my summer boredom, but its turned into one of my favorite things to do. (so far i've manged to teach my mom and my best friend to knit. They arent as excited about it as i was, but oh well) okay, well i hope to learn even more and get some ideas, Thanks!

Ingrid
08-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Welcome Laura and Ilemy!

100 pages of new intros!!!

paah-paah
08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
man on the floor!

Babs
08-29-2006, 06:15 PM
I just wanted to say Hi and I'm looking forward to reviewing all the information you have to offer here.

Oh and one other thing, I've taught myself to knit using this site.

Thank you so much for that! I am now officially an knitting addict.

:happydance:

cara
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself! I am a new knitter and mom. I am loving knitting so far, and currently meet with some girlfriends of mine nearly every wednesday to knit!

I started because my baby got some great touques for gifts and is starting to outgrow them. I want to make some instead of asking others to do it. my mother and grandmother and many of my aunts quilt and knit and I have so far only picked up the guys side of things with some carpentry and woodworking! on to knitting I guess!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Cara