PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi new members!!! :muah:

Feel free to PM any of the Mod Squad if you have specific questions about where to find things on the site, how to navigate the forums, or the text effects.

You can post questions about knitting in the HOW TO forum (click here) (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6), and don't forget to use our FABULOUS search feature located at the top of every page.... chances are, if you have a question, 10 other people had the same question too, and the answer is just waiting for you to find it :thumbsup:

We strive to make this a knitting family, not just a forum. Check out the Blog Threads (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=5) for a glimpse into our members' lives... sometimes TMI :teehee: but always full of friendship and support.

We have several Knit-a-Longs (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) going all the time... there is a "challenge" every month, and several members have joined the "year of the sweater" knit alongs, and they're working on their *third* sweater this year! You can join or start a knit-a-long anytime :-) Don't forget to post your process and FO (finished object) in the Watcha Knittin (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) forum!

Got Yarn? Need more? (yes, you do) If you have something to trade or sell, or are looking for notions, good deals on needles, or books, check out the Buy Sell Swap (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) forum.

Finally, if you're into spinning your own yarn---or if you WANT to be (we are great enablers here!)---check out the Spinning Forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=10).

Welcome! Have fun, make friends, learn something new and KNIT! :D

Petals
08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I have learned so much from this site. Amy's videos are great! Been hanging out here for about a year. Haven't joined because it really helps to know your way around in the computer world!!

I learned to knit when very young, dabbled with it again when the kids were little and now am hooked! Learned English now Conti knitter. I love looking at what you've all made and if I can figure out how to do the digital camera thing I may try to posts some pictures. But until then I'll just try to find my way around here!

Some Items made:

Sweaters--Samus, Sitcom Chic
5 pairs of socks (love socks)
Tops--Green Gable, ChicKami
Shrug, Cabled scarf, Suede Shawl, Quicky Baby sweater
2 pair felted clogs

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-30-2006, 06:25 PM
I :heart: samus and sitcom chick!! Knitty rocks :D

Welcome!

Rayadragon
08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone!

I started knitting on what was almost a whim. I thought it would be useful to learn how to make winter hats since I seemed to lose them so much. I figured that if I put the time into making it, I'll be more inclined to hold on to them. I also loved the idea of making a scarf or sweater that was EXACTLY what I wanted. I started knitting about a year ago, but haven't made too much progress on figureing out much more than knit and purl, but I'm working on it :) Have to say I love all the videos on this site, which are very helpful in figuring out some of the things that have eluded me so far. Thanks for all the information!

Ingrid
08-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Welcome everyone!! :waving: :waving:

pauly81
08-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Hello My name is Paul I just joined this site. I come here all the time, I did not know about this part of the site. I am glad I found it. I tought myself how to knit from a book and am still learning. I have a question
I am knitting in stockenett stich and forgot what row I knitted last. How do I know ?

Ingrid
08-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Take a moment and look at your knitting. The flat, 'v' side is the knit side. The bumpy side is the purl side. You knit when the v side is facing you, and you purl when the bumpy side is facing you.

And BTW, welcome to the forums. :waving:

Angelia
08-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Welcome everyone! :hug:

Wow, 100 pages of new members, and that doesn't even count those who never actually posted in this thread when they joined--myself included!

Starry
09-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Hello! New Member and New Knitter here!

I decided to join-up so I can talk to others about these balls of fluffy-stuff I love so much, and hopefully to learn new patterns and new tips and tricks!

I'm a commuting college-student from Ontario Canada, and I always have a ton of time for knitting. I taught myself how to knit, mainly by remembering what my grandmother taught me when I was younger. I taught myself how to purl a few months ago, and am now really proud of myself...I still have a lot to learn though!

My knitting addiction is the scarf. I love using fun wools and different textures and weights to make exactly what I want. I've sucessfully knit two scarves (Yay!!), and am working on two more.

I love knititng, and the idea of spinning appeals to me, as I sort-of grew up on a farm when I was younger, and managed to talk to many spinners, quilters and knitters growing up, and through attending country festivals. Bindertwine (huge arts-and-crafts show, with a spinners group, and typical country-life activites) is next week!

Angelia
09-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Welcome Tori!

There's a spinning section of the forum, so be sure to visit there both before and after you start!

Where in Ontario do you live? My aunt and uncle lived in Napanee for quite awhile. It's beautiful up there--I miss visiting them!

Starry
09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I live in Barrie, which is a few hours away from Toronto. Northern Ontario is so beautiful!

Thanks for such a warm welcome!

Quiara
09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
My name is Quiara and I knit (and live) in Memphis, TN. I've never been much of a fan of the south (despite being related to most of it), but Memphis is my exception. I love it here! Don't ask me why; it's an intangible. But I've been here almost 4 years now and I love it quite a bit. It's where I learned to knit! Among other things. Anyhow, I'm thrilled to have found this forum. Everyone seems so friendly and knowledgeable and just flat out nice. Plus, where else can you find knitting emoticons?? :frog:

So . . . hi, everybody. ^_^

Ingrid
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Welcome! I hope all you knitting is xxx !

knitwitnc
09-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi! My name is Beth and I just found this site and registered. I love to knit and love to converse with other knitters. Great site, great knitting emoticons, especially ... :frog: ... who hasn't been there! I'm a second-year seminarian and especially love to knit prayer shawls and winter hats (the latter going to those without).... glad to be aboard!

Quiara
09-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi, Beth! I'm Quiara and I'm new here, too, but I absolutely love it. I'm (kind of) doing the seminary thing, too! Working on a masters in Old Testament and one in Counseling Therapy. I knit hats to donate, too! I love that knitting can be so socially conscious.

karenf
09-07-2006, 06:17 PM
The videos and forum on this site are absolutely great! I just started knitting and am almost done with my second scarf--not sure how to finish either one off, but I'm going to my localo knitting shop on Saturday. Everyone here seems so helpful! I live in Morris, IL and am married with two boys, ages 3 and 4.

Karen

Stiney
09-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi all, I'm Christine and I've been lurking for a bit and have actually posted questions on the How-to already (thanks to all who helped!).

I've been knitting since July, and found this site while looking for knitting help sites. It's been so much help, thanks!

I'm 23 and an editorial assistant in NJ. They should really just call me "chief photocopier." It might be more accurate.

DarkEmerald
09-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi! Wow, what a great site! It's been a couple of years since I did much knitting, and boy has the internet improved in that regard! Happy to find these forums. Got here via Amy's excellent videos.

I go by DarkEmerald, and I've been knitting a good long while. I learned in Europe and still have trouble with American needle sizes, 20 years later! I like sweaters--wish I looked better in 'em. Am currently working on that cool Pinwheel Sweater (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=138024) over at Elann.com.

So, hello everyone. Nice to be here.

Ilovesocks
09-08-2006, 06:25 PM
yeah, I agree.. I love that website here.. I always come here for hellp and info etc.

I m from Georgia,, artist, wife, mother to two young girls. I loved knitting, pottery, painting, photography..

I love knitting socks specifically.. sometimes hats, and sweaters. I have no patience w/ blankets. ha ha. it took so forever. I like to make weird things like pager cover, headband.. etc.

cherper
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site and have found it very very helpful in my journey to teach myself knitting.
I'm a 38 yo wife and mother to 3 children. :cheering:
I have chosen to learn continental style and like it thus far.
I have been crocheting for almost a year and havent' made anything other than scarves, so i'm new at it also.
I also enjoy making jewelry. :heart:

Krystal
09-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Hello all, I'm Krystal, 22. I have been knitting now for about a week, using Amy's videos and just finished my second scarf! I've been lurking around for a while now wanting to learn and after finally diving in, I gotta say I am addicted. Hope to get to know you all.

Ingrid
09-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Wow! So many new people! Welcome everyone! :hug:

ilurffknit<3
09-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Hello. Konnichiwa. Annyong. And all those other languages. In any event, I'm Caitlin/Serenity. This is a shocking age for all of you I'm sure, but I'm only 16 and I'm a knitting nut. My friend Colleen taught me how (and she was taught by her mum) last december, and I've been addicted ever since. Sad to say I finished my first scarf only a week ago, and knitted it all the way through, though I can purl.

I found this site on google, looking to learn binding-off. The video was incredibly helpful! now I'm on a new scarf for a loved one, and plan to implement purling and possibly ribbing into this one.

I live in Bellingham, a few hours out of Seattle. This is the most beautiful place on Earth I swear it. Autumn is comming up and I cant wait to make some scarves and attempt some sweaters maybe (I'm not sure if I'm up to that skill level). Especially during U.S. history class, man is it boring there xxx

And as with everyone else, how can you not love knitting emoticons? Anyways, sorry to make such a long post, but I'm just excited to have found a community of knitters! No one else in my town, or my age bracket shares my passion, so this is really good for me.

I'll quiet up now :wall:

Ingrid
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
No need to be quiet, and believe it or not, you're not our only teenager around here! The age of the knitter is irrelevent--it's the knitting that brings us together!

shore--alpaca
09-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I a

Shandeh
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
:waving: Hi New Forum Members! :muah:

DotMom61
09-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Hello all new knitters! It's been months since I've been in this thread -- it's becoming a bit overwhelming! :shock: I'm so glad to see all the new "faces" here ... I hope you all are having a great time!!

The videos and forum on this site are absolutely great! I just started knitting and am almost done with my second scarf--not sure how to finish either one off, but I'm going to my localo knitting shop on Saturday. Everyone here seems so helpful! I live in Morris, IL and am married with two boys, ages 3 and 4.

Karen

Karen -- I notice you are not far from the Center of the Knitting Universe -- a.k.a. Chicagoland. :lol: You need to get hooked into our Illinois thread. Lots of us Illinoisians try to get together about once/month -- check out the plans here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=256306#256306). Welcome!

knitonepurltwo
09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
HI everyone! My name is Deb. I am married with three daughters. I have always wanted to learn how to knit, but never did anything about it. My grandmother ALWAYS knit me mittens for Christmas. I never thought to ask her to teach me before she passes away, so learning is sort of a tribute to her.

My three daughters ages 8/10/ and 13 all learned how to knit form their step-mother so I actually learned some basics from them. My 10 year old can cast on like nobody's business!

Last weekend I bought a couple of books to teach myself and when I became confused as to which way to cross the yarn over, etc. I looked online and found this site. The videos are so awesome! Any question I had was quickly answered.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I'll be looking around the site to see what sort of motivation I can find.

merryknitter
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi! My name is Merry...I am from Ohio and 48 years old...Grammie of 2...and I just signed up for my first ever Knitting Class in October! My Best Friend and I are taking a class together...and we are so excited! I just hope that I am patient enough...LOL! I've been checking out this awesome site and reading alot of posts and I know I'll have a bazillion questions!

Merry
:muah:

Shandeh
09-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Welcome Deb and Merry! :waving:

It's so nice to meet you. I look forward to getting to know you better in the forum! Happy Knitting! :X:

itsazoo
09-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi, I'm a new knitter and this site has saved my sanity. Knitting instructions seem like they're written in a foreign language. The videos here are the best! It is great to be able to pause, rewind and watch something over and over until I get it right. I just ordered the dvds because I'm dying to learn to make socks and now I can't wait for them to get here.

Thanks for the great site. I know I'll be here alot!

Shandeh
09-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I did the EXACT same thing when I was first learning to knit about 3 years ago. I sat in front of the computer with my needles and yarn, and just watched the videos over and over and over and over.

I finally got it!

Brvfan
09-20-2006, 10:12 AM
I have used knitting help several times but for some reason I never knew there was a forum.

I am married with 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren and 1 on the way in December.

Hope to get to know all of you.

Debby

Shandeh
09-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Debby! :waving:

So glad you found the forum. This is the BEST part of Knitting Help! :)

ree
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone, I found this site by following a link from another site. The really strange thing is just the night before I was thinking about trying to get together a group to do a knitting project, and then look what I found.

I knit, crochet, weave and spin. My husband Tom and I are working on your 29th year of marriage and have four grown daughters. They can all crochet, but only one knits. Oh and by the way Dad taught them all, seems they didn't think Mom was a good teacher. :shrug:

Well, I'm off to see what headaches this site can cause Tom.
Ree

Jan in CA
09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the forum all you new members!! You'll love it here! :happydance:

Brvfan
09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Thank you, I am already enjoying it here.

Debby

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Welcome new members!!!!

Shandeh
09-21-2006, 11:01 PM
:X: :waving: xxx
Welcome Ree and Debby!

ga_addict
09-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I just love this site! :muah: As a beginner I found that learning from a book could be a very tedious task. The video's have made it soooo much easier and faster too. I can't believe that more people haven't had the same idea, there are lots of sites but only this one had actual videos. so you can see it done before your eyes. Thank you for taking the time to make this site what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings,
Ga_addict

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 12:39 AM
I agree that Amy is a GENIUS! :happydance:

Brvfan
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree. This is the best site on the net to learn knitting. Thank you Knitting Help
:hug:

Debby

juneko74
09-30-2006, 05:53 AM
And I am Korean. I just came to the States and I started knitting like a month ago. This site helped me understand a lot of points that weren't clear for me. I'm 32 y/o and got married 3 months ago.

I have knitted a loooooot of scarves and hats, some ponchos and now I am making a sweater for my hubby. it is fun!

Though there are still many things I need to learn, especially I need to learn how to read patterns, they give me headaches. They're like jeebrish ( don't know how to spell it, hehe)

I have surfed a lot through the net and found many helpful sites.

Bye for now! :muah:

Shandeh
09-30-2006, 06:40 AM
Welcome, June! :hug:

It's so nice to welcome you to the group. Congratulations on your recent wedding!

Don't be afraid to tackle a knitting pattern - like Ingrid says, "Trust the pattern". If you get stuck, just post a question in our "How-To Questions" forum: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

By the way, the word you were trying to use is spelled "gibberish". :)

River
09-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi i am River i am a 28 year old stay at home mom and i have been tring to learn to knit for about 2 years, i started after my daughter was born and she was in the hospital, but i could not figure it out and put it away for awhile, in the last 2 weeks i picked it up and tried it again and it took me about 2 weeks this site has really helped. I have finished my first project, a scarf and i am now working on a wrap. I just want to say hi.

SO HI

Shandeh
09-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi River! :waving: Way to "stick to it" and learn to knit! :thumbsup:

juneko74
09-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the welcoming. hehe... now I know how to spell gibberish! I hope to knit many wonderful things. and if ever I have any troubles with these crazy pattern GIBBERISHes :happydance: I won't hesitate to ask.

Maybe I'll ask for every row!!!!!! :??

Thank you again, have a great day!

Shandeh
09-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Woo Hoo! :happydance:

Brvfan
09-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Welcome to you both. I know you will find lots of information here to help you become master knitters.

Debby

River
10-01-2006, 11:05 AM
thank you for the welcome, normally i will get frustarted and give up but for some reason i need to figure out how to knit. It was driving me crazy because i could see what i needed to do(thanks to the videos on here) but i just could not get my hands to do it. lol

again thank you for the welcome.

juneko74
10-01-2006, 03:05 PM
River if you need help, I'll help you. I also just started knitting and I have figured out some things, many things I learned from this site, and there are many more things I need to lern still, but I have downloaded step-by-step instructiones, with pictures and so on. So anything give me a holler. It will be good to help someone in my shoes because I know how frustrating vcan be this sometimes!

River
10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
june thank you that would be great any tips you can give me would be great.
and i think that learn from someone who is still learning will make it easyier to ask silly questions too lol

Shandeh
10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
There is NO SUCH THING as a silly question! Ask whatever you want in this forum! :hug:

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Intro

Hey there all

I decided to pick up the knitting needles again after a l-o-n-g absence (I used to knit when I was a little girl & I'm almost 50 now!). My kids bought me an array of knitting needles & a 'how-to book' for Christmas a few years ago, but I haven't had the time to do much more than play.

About a decade ago, I tried to relearn how to knit but using the books I consulted, the needles/yarn/technique didn't feel familiar with how I knitted when I was a kid, so I put it aside. I hold my ball-end yarn in my left hand, like I do when I crochet. I've since found this way of knitting isn't taught as much anymore???

Anyway, I'm ready to plunge in again and decided my first project will be a pair of simple garter stitch socks.

I'm also a crocheter (mostly thread crochet), spinner, weaver, dye-er, and sometimes tatter. I make milk soaps, lotions and other bath & body stuff, cheese, beeswax candles & other oddities that suit my mood at the time!

I am married & we have 4 children. 2 are still living with us. We live on a small homestead and raise most of our own food (meats, vegetables, fruits & honey). I work full time outside the home.

Bare with my newbie knitting questions!

Stiney
10-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi! I'm pretty new myself, started knitting this summer. This site is great!!!

That's so neat that you grow your own food...that makes me want honey really, really badly now. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow I'll splurge and have honey toast. mmm. Also I want cheese. Your post made me hungry!

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I've pulled off the honey supers for this fall but we haven't had time to extract the honey yet.

Took the pigs to the processor this morning. Two for our family and 4 for friends/customers. YUM!

Shandeh
10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi Cyndi! Welcome to the KH forum. Your crafty life sounds so interesting! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better in the forum. :waving:

spasmo
10-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm Anna (aka spasmo) and I have been knitting for about four months now. I have become addicted to yarn - there are so many wonderful yarns out there - petting yarn at lunch as become a favorite past time of mine. I have been making lots of scarves - and making an effort to learn something new with each one. I look forward to meeting y'all and getting more experience knitting.

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Welcome Anna! :hug:

Stiney
10-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I've pulled off the honey supers for this fall but we haven't had time to extract the honey yet.

Haha, I only understand what that means because I just read Secret Life of Bees.

darkhalcyon
10-08-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm Gwen, and my online alias is (obviously) Darkhalcyon.

I've been a confirmed yarn addict for about eight months now. I've just conquered cable knitting, and once I finish that I want to learn fair isle. Hopefully this year I'll have lots of scarves to give out for the holidays.

Also, I'm from Long Island and currently residing in downtown Albany. I love to knit in coffee houses, or curled in my my room with David Bowie or somesuch while I knit.

Besides knitting I like to draw, paint, and go to concerts.

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Gwen! Love your avatar!

rebecca
10-08-2006, 06:37 PM
:waving: Hey New People...welcome to KH :waving:

darkhalcyon
10-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Gwen! Love your avatar!

Thankyou :heart:

My friend made it for me.

Jazzed
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi I am new here but not new to knittinghelp.com. Thank you Amy for all your guidence.

I started knitting in Jan.'06 because alll my quilting friends were doing it. I finally gave in kicking and screaming, if it was one thing I didn't need it was another hobby to take me away from my quilting time. A friend opened a yarn shop, and visiting there I would still not have the desire to knit. Too much counting and too complicated I would say. But she refused to let me bring my sewing and sit and chat with them. So I finally gave in and knitted a scarf. I was quickly bored with that, and went on to knit a felted tote. It came out beautiful and I was hooked. I then took a sock class in Feb and have not made anything else since. I LOVE Amy's videos and they have been most helpful. I have knitted about 8 pair of socks and done the Magic Loop-2 circular needle method, making 2 at once and now have taught myself the toe up. Up to the leg part that is, I have to learn/do the rest. I love knitting socks.

Wow it seems like a fabulous community here!

Marie-Louise
10-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Well, what can I say, I'm a member for almost a year now, and never saw this topic. So I've never introduced myself :oops: .

Here I am, Marie-Louise, 22 years young, living in The Netherlands. I've got a handicap which makes it impossible for me to work, so I've got loads of spare time which I fill with all sorts of fun things to do.
I paint, make ATC's, take care of my two cats, enjoy riding my recumbent bike, go to the gym, watch tv (watching more than 10 series, like CSI, Bones, Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls etc.), and my almost new hobby, knitting!

So far my only finished projects are one Garter/Rib slipper, the other one has to wait, I found it hard to knit, and some Ipod/Phone socks. On the needles I have a turqoise fuzzy wool scarf, and the "Branched Out" lace scarf from knitty.com, that will be the one to finish first.

My grandma, who recently passed away, learned me to knit (only knitting, not purling or any other technique) and gave me a lot of leftover skeins of yarn to practise. When I saw the Branched Out pattern, and thought of the yarn my grandma gave me, I decided to start knitting again.
Amy's videos and this forum helped (and still are helping) me a lot.

So this is me :happydance:.

Ingrid
10-10-2006, 07:34 AM
:waving: :waving: Welcome, everyone!!! It's a great site. :happydance:

pixiedoodle
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Fantastic site. As a new knitter, I had no clue and was about to burn the book I had bought. Your videos are fantastic, you are a genius.
Thank you

hellokitty165
10-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Hi

I learnt alot ever since joining here in August 2006....I had accomplished a numerous of knitting projects using this website and all the help i got from u guys... Thank you so much to Amy who made this knitting website happened....I woke up very early nowsaday and the first thing is knitting my current piece of work....I put my quilting aside for now...ha ha it is just so addicted to knitting... i knit everywhere i go .... but with quilting u can't

All i wanted to say is three hoorays for Amy and the team :cheering: :cheering: and thank you once again

Natrasha
10-12-2006, 03:18 PM
:waving: Hey, y'all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I do have a question which I'll post elsewhere, but just wanted to say hi.

rosin
10-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Im the newest here :). my blog is here (http://www.isetegija.net/index.php?ind=blog&op=home&idu=574). unfortunatelly in Estonian but Ill try to write in English as well in future.

HamburgKnitter
10-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Hi Everyone!

My name is Jeannette and I'm an american living in Germany. After learning how to knit and purl about six months ago, making two very wonky swatches full of holes and throwing them aside, I've suddenly been bitten by the knitting bug! :heart: I bought some beautiful purple yarn and some circulars on Friday after work and am now about a quarter of my way through my first scarf.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and warn you that I'll probably be posting lots of dumb questions! :oops:

Ingrid
10-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Welcome everyone! Remember--there are no dumb questions! We've all had the same questions as we've gotten addicted to knitting. And Rosin--English is good--I doubt there are too many of us who speak Estonian. :teehee:

Chrissie
10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi there, I just started knitting this past week and I really love it so far. I'm 29, and live in Louisville, KY with my husband and two cats. After finding this site and finally figuring out how to bind off a garter stitch scarf I was working on, I was hooked. I made a stockinette swatch and a 2x2 rib swatch, and now I'm working on a 2x2 ribbed scarf that I just started last night. It's about 10 inches long now and looks pretty nice.

Corey
10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Hello Everybody,

My name is Corey.

I found this site while looking for a video lesson on how to do the Double Cast-On. A couple of months ago, I bought computer software that had video lessons (including one for the Double Cast-On) on it, figuring that when I was ready to start on my projects, I'd just pop the CD rom into my computer, and off I'd go.

Well, this morning I decided that I was ready to start on some scarves for my family. Do you think I could find the stupid CD rom? Of course not. So I typed in "knitting stitches" in my search engine and crossed my fingers.
I love this site! You saved me from having to buy more software. Thank you! :muah:

I'll be posting more as my projects progress (asking questions and begging for help!).

I have a feeling that I'm gonna like it here.

Corey

Stiney
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi! I'm in the burbs NW of NYC, too. I'm in Bergen County, NJ. :waving:

Welcome, this site is very helpful.

achang1
10-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi, im in Baltimore, Md. uh wel for starters i am a college student at umbc. and. well, im a guy. dunno if there are alot of guys here. but ive decided to start knitting because, well i like to work with my hands. and while im at school its not like i can do much on campus. like fixing cars. but im a total newbie at knitting and ive got little experiance. I am however learning thanks to this site, and am currently knitting, or trying to by knitting the harry potter scarf for a friend of mine. shes a harry potter nut, and what better than to make her one hmm :-)

Stiney
10-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Dude, my brother is a sophomore at UMBC.

Oh yeah, hi!

KristyWisty
10-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone!...I am a really new knitter only 2 months or so...this site taught me how to knit!...I am looking forward to chatting with all of you and appreciate all the help you've already given me!

Sooze
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I have sticks and some yarn, and instruction booklet and some enthusiasm, so am I ready to go? I guess so! I just finished reading Yarn Harlot, and I know I have the knitting gene in my family my 79 year old mom being a master knitter!
I am 46 and disabled, so lots of free time. It's time for me to learn how to knit!
I want to make everything! Socks, socks, and more socks, sweaters, you name it, I want to GO!
I love the site, it really helps get the enthusiasm going to talk about knitting! SO thanks for having me, I am sure I will need some help now and then! SO thanks in advance!
Sooze it's usually Suze, but that's taken ~;*)"

Oh, I thought of a question already! Tehe~

Ingrid
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Welcome, everyone!!! :hug:

debz
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
hi my name is deborah, debz for short. i live in south wales in the UK, am engaged to david and have 4 children aged from 18 to 8.
i have been knitting since i was about 8 years old, my father actually taught me. as a child i used to knit simple things like scarves and gloves and also clothes for mine and my sisters barbie dolls.
i have mainly knitted as an adult for my children, loads of baby clothes have been made, but now i usually stick to knitting cardigans and scarves for them all.
i have just done my first knit for myself , its still a work in progress but is nearly finished and hopefully i will have a lovely cardigan for myself.
i am not really an experienced knitter, i have only ever done 2 cardigans using the cable stitch, the rest is usually done in rib and st st.
i would love to do more, like learning how to do socks and lacy knits and overall a bit more complicated patterns.

nsavage
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Hello. This site is awesome. I have already viewed a couple of videos and you make it look easier than some of the articles I have read. I taught myself to knit last year and actually find it easier to do than crocheting. My two teenage daughters have even shown an interest in learning and I have helped them to learn to cast on but pretty much told them to read the same thing I read to learn. This is fun- knitting that is. I have already knitted 2 purses that I just designed as I went (no pattern) and 5 scarves. I am working on an afghan for my dad now and it is only going on a stitch design not an actual pattern (he is like 6ft tall so I figured best to just go with the stitch until it gets a certain length so as to cover him). Anyways just wanted to say hi and great site!!!

nsavage
10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Hello. This site is awesome. I have already viewed a couple of videos and you make it look easier than some of the articles I have read. I taught myself to knit last year and actually find it easier to do than crocheting. My two teenage daughters have even shown an interest in learning and I have helped them to learn to cast on but pretty much told them to read the same thing I read to learn. This is fun- knitting that is. I have already knitted 2 purses that I just designed as I went (no pattern) and 5 scarves. I am working on an afghan for my dad now and it is only going on a stitch design not an actual pattern (he is like 6ft tall so I figured best to just go with the stitch until it gets a certain length so as to cover him). Anyways just wanted to say hi and great site!!!

GennyLynn1962
10-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Chrissie - I am in E'town - :roflhard:

Welcome to everyone, I am also a new knitter and have learned everything I know from this site. It's kinda slow going for me, just not enough time. I'm about ready to give up on other things and just knit. :roflhard:

Anyway, welcome. The people on this site are awesome and very helpful.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Gen

knottydaisy
10-18-2006, 07:57 PM
I've been using the video side of this website for a few months. Glad to be involved in the chat side.

I am a passionate self-taught knitter since June 2006. I have never actually seen anyone else knit, as of right now(other than the video tutorials I've watched)

My two wonderul little boys(2 & 5) keep me from getting involved with a local knitting group so I must live through the internet! I live in Rockland County in New York State. Just about 30 miles from New York City.

I look forward to participating on this board often!

knitqueen
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
My two wonderul little boys(2 & 5) keep me from getting involved with a local knitting group so I must live through the internet!

Ditto to that, but mine are 3 & 4.

WELCOME to knittinghelp, you will love it here! :waving:

Ingrid
10-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Welcome! I've been to the Palisades Mall! :teehee: I'm in Dutchess County, not too far.

Stiney
10-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I WORKED in the Palisades mall--I'm just Jersey-side of Tappan! :waving:

Did you know there's a yarn store in Nyack? I :heart: Nyack.

knottydaisy
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
I WORKED in the Palisades mall--I'm just Jersey-side of Tappan! :waving:

Did you know there's a yarn store in Nyack? I :heart: Nyack.

Nice to see someone local to me! YAY!
Yep there is also one in Pearl River, too. Knitting Nation, in Nyack is nice, but I've only made it in once to buy my Denise Set. I'm hoping to get down to the shop in Hohokus soon, it is probably the most convenient for me. I'm in Suffern.

Stiney
10-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Neat! I work in Upper Saddle River (again, just Jersey-side), and I didn't know there was one in Ho-Ho-Kus. Or one in Pearl River, for that matter. I usually only drive through Pearl River on my way to the Porterhouse in Montvale. :teehee:

Well, if you want we can get together sometime and knit. I don't have any knitting buddies right now.

jolenel
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I just found KH this week while looking for afghan-making inspiration, and I am sooo hooked. The videos are awesome, the advice in the forums is awesome, and the posts here are so friendly and positive. You folks are great! :muah:

My aunt taught me how to knit when I was 6 or 7, and I've been at it, on and off, ever since (I'm 24 now). Most the stuff I've done has been pretty basic, but I'm trying to learn more. I'm working on my first sock while waiting for my afghan yarn to come in, and it's such a blast that I think I'll put some on my Christmas gift-making list. So I might ask many sock yarn questions soon...

HamaLee
10-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Everyone!

I discovered this site sometime last year and mostly lurked for awhile, posting here and there. I seem to pick up knitting every fall as the weather cools (here in New England, went to college in Amy's neck of the woods and I miss Amherst/Noho)

Anyway, I love love love this site. I retaught myself to knit for good last year and have used (and continue to use) all the videos on this site to learn new stitches in every pattern I come across. Since it's that time of year again for the knitting to be picked up and the yarn to be dug out I thought I'd actually introduce myself before posting again. This is seriously one of the friendliest forums I've ever encountered on this vast thingy we call the internet.

And now I'm off for pattern recs and to gawk at all the lovely FOs. :happydance:

Happy knitting to all!
~Hama

the snark
10-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Hello and thanks so much for this great site! Your videos are worth a dozen books. I have not knitted for many years as I now live in the north of Australia, where it is very very hot. However we are soon to have our first grandchild, a little boy, who will be born in chilly London UK in about three weeks time! So I have been frantically knitting. I wish I had discovered your website earlier, but never mind I am sure I will have plenty of opportunity to improve.

Was very interested in the continental method, i had read descriptions but couldn't get my head around it till I watched your video. It is incredibly fast but my first efforts were uneven so I may not convert yet!

Thank you! :cheering: :cheering:

kevyoga1970
10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi Everybody--I love this forum and website so much. I have learned most of my knitting skills watching the videos here.

I am a recent transplant to Memphis, TN and find myself in the minority of Male Knitters.

Memphis has some kicking yarn shops, The Yarn Studio, in particular.

I have been knitting about a year, and have begun to make hats. I have a thing for Noro, but am deeply in love with Paton's SWS.

I look forward to chatting with you all, but would really like to hear from some Memphis folks.

Happy knitting,
Kevin

Corey
10-23-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm in Spring Valley, NY, not far from either of you guys. :waving: I'm at the Palisades Center Mall all the time. I've just started knitting, but I also do plastic canvas needlework and some card making. It's nice to know that there are other crafty people living near me. :woot:

Tanya
10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself before I start blabbing away. :teehee:

I'm Tanya, SAHM to crazy coconuts two and half year old Jack and wife of three and half years to Adam who pretends he's handy. We live in Haverhill , Massachusetts with our yarn attacking ( or wool loving , depending on how you look at it ;) ) kitties, Cookie and Jefferson. Who doesn't love a little cat hair knit into their projects? :shrug:

I've used this site to teach myself to knit and just found the forums yesterday. :doh:

Anyway, happy to be here and I'm looking forward to knitting along with you all!! :heart:

raggedyangy
10-24-2006, 01:47 AM
hullo!
my names angy.
i live in loverly Minnesota, i have a 2 year old tornado(or child as they are sometimes referred to...) , a boyfriend and a dog.

so, i went out to a chinese buffet on sunday,
and the chopsticks left me with an undeniable urge to
pick up knitting. and here i am.

this site single-handedly taught me to knit.
i am so grateful...
but my left arm is in pain from trying to drill the
concept of the purl into my brain, and i needed a break.

..so, hello everyone :zombie:

Ingrid
10-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Wow!! So many new members! Welcome! :waving:

bradleyandstaceysmom
10-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I tell all knitters about this site for the videos. I didn't know about this awesome forum until today!

Kristen
Mom of 2, both under the age of 3.5!

Jessica
10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Might as well introduce myself before I really start nailing you guys with a million questions.

My name is Jessica, and Im 21 and going to school to be a police officer and trying to start my own buisness, maybe a yarn store, but I have some more details to work out and alot more to learn :?? .
I live with my wonderful boyfriend :heart: who I have been with for 2 years, and we are enjoying the life were building together, when we find time, Lol! We are both pretty selfish with our time so kids are a no. He is an engineer, and I go to school, so time is precious around here. Between our saltwater tanks and my coral propagating, drag racing and restoring Corvette's, I try to squeeze knitting in there (usually during class :mrgreen: ).

I learned how to knit about a month ago while my mom had breat cancer. I had alot of free time while I was taking care of her so my best friend tought me how to knit. As it turned out it came pretty natural and I LOVE it!! Im totally addicted and this site helped. Im eager to learn and try everything. Spinning and dying are really sparking my intrest right now. I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning frow your knowledge.

Jess

micaelasmama
10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Hello everyone
So I've been stalking this site for a few days now because I just learned to knit. I didn't realize until now that there was a forum on here too. :cheering:

So, my name is Melissa or Mellie for short. I'm 23, married and my inspriration to start knitting is my little 7-month old ball of sunshine, Micaela.
We live in the Boston area though I'm originally from CT.

In terms of knitting, like I said, I recently learned. I'm on my second project (though the first isn't complete because I ran out of yarn

:wall: ). The first was a blanket, this one is a scarf and next, I'm hoping to get some pants underway for my dd.

I will probrably bog you guys down with questions in just a few days. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and getting advice from the pros. :notworthy:

luv2knit
10-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Hello!

I finally joined in the forum after months of looking over this website! Not too long ago I purchased the Denise Needles from Amy, absolutely love them! :heart:

My husband of 15 years and I have two wonderful children, DS (12) and DD (almost 9). I love being able to homeschool the both of them and being able to spend lots of time watching them grow up.

I have always thought it would be neat to learn to knit, but never really tried it. However it was my DD who really wanted to learn to knit. At Christmas I purchased her a knitting kit, and she was thrilled. Between lots of books from the library, a friend's help, and more help from the local knitting store, we both learned to knit! Although my DD is enjoying her new hobby, it was me who became completely enthralled with knitting! I have quickly filled my cupboards with all kinds of yarn, patterns and knitting supplies!

I have finished a variety of simple projects and have several "on the needles". My newest project is my very first sweater, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I take my knitting everywhere, in the car, on the plane, to church, while I wait for my kids, to the beach, camping... I always have a project with me. xxx Recently I finished a blanket as a wedding gift and was surprised how much the newlyweds loved it. They couldn't believe someone would go to so much trouble to make them a gift!

I am looking forward to being a part of the forum when I can and when I need help (which could be a lot looking at a couple of these patterns I have!). What a great website for knitters!

Sandi

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2006, 10:00 AM
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Welcome to all of the new knitters.

As you can see I haven't been a member for very long but I have learned so much from the wonderful people on this forum, and I could have never learned to knit without the videos.

This is a great forum, in my opinion the best on the web. :cheering:

Good luck,

Gen

aidrean
10-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I just picked up knitting 2 days ago. I had gotten some books from the library, some yarn, and some needles. The books weren't much help though, since the pictures don't move. ;) I found this site while looking for a video of how to cast-on. SO helpful!

I haven't really started anything yet, I'm still trying to figure out why I'm getting an extra stitch every couple rows. I did read the thread on that topic, and counting out every row I do is seeming to help for some reason. Odd how that works!

I'm still looking for a "real live" person around this area to show me things and point out mistakes.

Anyway, I'm 29 and I live in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan with my husband, and every other week with my two stepsons who are 11 and 8. I also have a dog, 2 cats, and a sun conure (the loudest bird in existence, I swear!).

I look forward to learning and getting help from all you fine people! :happydance:

Arpoo
10-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Whoops didnt see this thread!

Hi I am Arpoo, relatively knew to the art of Knitting,

Hope to pick up lots of advice, tips and patterns over the coming months. It is such a satisfying hobby to have, seeing the fruits of your labours being worn by a dog or other pet

Thanks

Arpoo

Ingrid
10-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Welcome!! :waving: :waving:

Whatshernoodle2
10-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Nicole. I have been knitting since I was a kid, but just now learning how to read a pattern properly and do the different stitches.

I have been coming to Knittinghelp.com for awhile to get help on abbreviations and watch how to videos. I think this is a wonderful site.

Talk to you all soon,
Nicole

AnotherBecca
10-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Hi! I'm Becca. I started to knit about 2 years ago, but haven't been very consistent. I've finished a couple of scarves and a summer sweater. I've started a lot more than that! I just get sidetracked... currently I'm working on a baby blanket that I started a little over a year ago. I need to get to work on my stash of yarn because I'm running out of room! Hopefully visiting here will motivate me to knit more frequently!

CountryNaturals
10-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi, all. I'm Suz.

I've been knitting since I was 5--I'm now 61. I used to knit complicated stuff--cable, argyle, and all sorts of fancy stitches like popcorn and lacy stitches (cuz I was too lazy to learn how to crochet). Now that I'm older, I lack the patience and concentration for anything too complex, so I create my own super simple stitches and patterns.

There's a book I LOVE, that I found at a garage sale for 50-cents, that has tons of great stitches in it. It's from back in the 1940s. I think I'll go look it up on Amazon and see if it's still available. If so, I'll post it on my website and here if there's a place for it.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. I've already linked to this fabulous forum. If any of you have websites and want to do a link swap, PM me and we'll get it done.

HAPPY KNITTING, EVERYONE!

Shandeh
10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Hello, all you new members! :waving:

Now, we have more friends to love!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

trollgirl
10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi all!

I've been lurking for a few weeks, checking out all the good advice. This site has been a really big help to me.

I'm relatively new to knitting. I've always wanted to knit. I asked my mum to teach me how when I was a kid, and she only knew how to make a knit stitch English-style, so we (incorrectly) cast on some stitches and I made some garter stitch fabric that I kept for years and years because I was so proud of it. :happydance:

I got older and decided to teach myself from books. I knit a scarf, then gave it up because my ex-boyfriend thought it was a waste of time and money and wasn't happy with me knitting.:verysad: He had some rather twisted feminist ideas and thought that if I was knitting then I couldn't possibly have any other 'worthwhile' ambitions and all I wanted to do was become a homemaker. :wall:

(Wow, I got a little ranty there, sorry.)

Anyway, a year later, I moved to Canada where it is really, REALLY COLD and I caught the bug again when I decided to knit a cunning hat (Jayne's hat, from Firefly) for the (new) significant other. He loves it and everyone else thinks its neat so I'm really happy. I then knit another three hats in a week and a half, and I think I'm seriously hooked this time. I can't wait to try new things like cables and lace.

- tam

P.S. I bought my first skein of malabrigo yarn this weekend after seeing everyone going crazy over it and wondering what the big deal is. It is sooo pretty... :heart:

Stiney
10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
I got older and decided to teach myself from books. I knit a scarf, then gave it up because my ex-boyfriend thought it was a waste of time and money and wasn't happy with me knitting.:verysad: He had some rather twisted feminist ideas and thought that if I was knitting then I couldn't possibly have any other 'worthwhile' ambitions and all I wanted to do was become a homemaker. :wall:

Glad to hear he's an EX. That's such a Neanderthal attitude! Knitting doesn't equal homemaker, and even if you do want to be a homemaker, that's you RIGHT to choose for yourself what your future will be. :!!!: :!!!: :grrr: :grrr: :!!!: :!!!:

Oh, and hi! :teehee: Nice to meet you!

Shandeh
10-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Welcome, Tam! Funny story about knitting :teehee:

Compulsive
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Hello all,

I learned to knit by watching the Knitting Help video clips last Holiday season. I knitted several scarves and a hat out of The Knit Stitch book along with a Booga felted bag. Then summer arrived--lol. Now, I have the knitting bug again after relocating to Minnesota where there is practically a yarn store every few miles or so, seriously. I know am the proud owner of a quickly growing yarn stash--who knew you could buy such soft and yummy fibers with a click of the mouse! I love Elann's, Web's, KnitPicks, and Smiley's for finding great deals. I also found that Michael's sells natural fiber yarns along with blends, and other fiber types. I've been picking up several skeins a week of Paton's SWS with those 40% off coupons. I LOVE that yarn!

Hope to get to know everyone.

Compulsive Carmen

Shandeh
11-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Welcome Carmen! :hug:

DonnaS
11-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Well I don't think I've joined this forum before at any point lol but here goes :)

I'm Donna and live in central Alabama. An avid crocheter, knitting has been something I've wanted to pick back up for some time now. When I got roped into doing lessons in beginning knitting at our local Michaels (open mouth insert foot.. no other foot this time) I decided I'd better get proficient in it again and now 6 weeks later I'm halfway through my first two projects, one of which is a baby sweater.. so I guess I'm doing pretty good? :shrug: lol

I knit continental which probably comes down to I've used my left hand for yarn with the crochet for years so this was more comfortable and my speed is getting better and better... I really enjoy this :) It's a nice change and some different options and for me, works better for wearable things but I will never put down my hooks either ;)

Anyway, when I'm not knitting/crocheting I'm either at work as a legal secretary, training one of my horses for a show or hanging out with my hubby who is a local locksmith. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning as much as possible as well as sharing when I can :) :hug:

Shandeh
11-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Welcome, Donna! :waving:

sheknits
11-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Hello, all!

I've been hanging out in this forum for six weeks or so, sucking all the useful knitting info from your brains and then pretending I thought of it myself! :teehee:

Took up knitting in August of this year, and have found it very relaxing and meditative ... except for all the cursing and ripping things out! Had some scary surprise medical challenges come up this fall, and knitting has been a wonderful way for me to focus my attention on something other than myself.

I have two fabulous sons (3 and 6) and they love to watch me knit. Trouble is, they keep asking me when I'm going to knit something for THEM! :D

So glad to have found this place!

zkimom
11-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Amy and all,

I am so doing the happy dance (here I am :happydance: ) to have found this site! The very first thing I did was check out the video on Kitchner (I was seriously Kitchner-phobic) and after watching that and a few more on finishing techniques I am one happy camper. Now I can try a pair of socks that aren't toe-up!

So -- I am an older mom with younger kids (me heading towards 50 fast and them 12 and 8 1/2) I have been knitting for years but just really catching on in the past year. Last year was a year of scarves and this year I have really branched out. Felted bags, toe-up socks, fingerless mitts with cables and knitted toys galore!

My kids are in a Waldorf school and so they both knit. (My son made a pair of socks last year and it was the humiliation of having my 5th grader offer to help me with my Kitchner that sent me to toe-up socks only. Til now that is.)

I bring knitting with me almost everywhere I go. You never know when you will have 5 minutes to knit a few rows.

I am also a photographer and some of the local yarn stores in my area are carrying greeting cards I made with my yarn photos. When I have 5 minutes to myself I'll post some.

Anyway, thanks for the site! Gotta go pay the bills and do some work so I can afford more yarn

Best,
Susan

zkimom
11-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I also wanted to mention that knitting is a multi-generational thing in my family. My grandmother was a knitter, my mom and her sister knit.

My mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease a couple of years ago and she has noticed that her tremors diminish greatly while she is knitting. So in order to keep busy, she started a knitting group at the adult community where she lives. They meet every Tuesday and knit together for various charities.

The highlight of one of their meetings was when my daughter came and taught them all to finger weave.

So that 's it.

And here's my OTN list:

Cabled beaded Lobster Pot cashmere fingerless mitts
Suri Merino baby sweater from Last-minute Gifts
A skirt for my daughter -- I'm making the pattern up and it's made from scrap yarn

Best,
Susan

bettamyworld555
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
:frog: hi am am a new knitter and 40 lol mid life something i started that video i love this site but what do u do with that long tail is anyone from erie area ??? thank you i hope to learn alot here

GennyLynn1962
11-07-2006, 08:01 PM
:hug: :happydance: :cheering: :hug: :happydance: :cheering: :hug: :happydance: :cheering:

Welcome to all the new knitters. Before you know it you will be sooooo addicted to this site. :teehee:

They really are a great group of people.

Gen

lissalue
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I just noticed the introduce yourself thread (is that correct use of the term? :oops: ) My name is Melissa and I am a newbie to knitting as my other topic in the general knitting forum tells. I started knitting just last week and I am really excited! :cheering: I love the site! It has already been super helpful. I would have already said hi if I had noticed. I have been hanging out on the site for a few days. Thanks for the great site!

Melissa

jess_hawk
11-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Perhaps a little late for an introduction, but only a couple of days. I actually joined last year but haven't really even looked around until now. I learned to knit probably about 14 years ago when I had chicken pox (second grade or so). My grandma taught me knitting and latch hook, my other grandma taught me to crochet (or tried to at least...), and I already knew how to embroider and sew. So when I decided to pick knitting up again in about seventh grade, I was pretty familiar with working with string of all sorts. I finished up the scarf that I had started in second grade... it wanders about for about eighteen inches and then decreases down to regular scarf width for the remaining length. This took me about four years. I never was good at finishing things.
So there I was in high school, very proud of my progress over the years. I'd completely forgotten how to cast on, so I did it by daisy chaining, I had (still have) no idea of the correct way to hold the yarn, and although I knew how to make a purl stitch as different from a knit stitch, and after the next row has been added, I could tell them apart, I couldn't tell from looking at a single stitch whether it was knit or purl. Oblivious to my complete ignorance, I happily set out to make a pair of fingerless gloves with one of those cover flaps, to keep a friend's hands warm. When I showed them to my grandma, she denied teaching me to do THAT... she can knit flat and that's all. huh, ok, well I did look at a book but the only parts that made sense to me were "k1, p1, and CO." (imagine my confusion at reaching "k2tog". I was thinking, how am I supposed to knit two toggles? :wall: ). Fortunately, by the time the gloves were finished, they were completely functional, even looked nice, and I had developed comprehension of everything included in those instructions. Since then, I have made scarves, slippers, a seed stitch beret (a nightmare until I learned to recognize stitches), a couple of stuffed rabbits, and several other hats. I am now teaching myself double knitting (aka thermal knitting) and trying to do fairisle. Oh, and I finally figured out how to crochet. :happydance:

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 10:11 PM
:waving: :waving: Welcome everyone!! :hug:

Andrea
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
:cheering: :cheering: So many new people!! :cheering: :cheering:

Welcome! :waving: :heart:

jujore
11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi - just joined today - without even lurking at all - I was that impressed with this website. This was my first time here, and I must admit I've spent a good part of the day browsing at all parts of the site. Also, I learned a whole lot about sacred harp/shape note music too as an added bene.

I used to knit as a kid and teenager. Then there was a long hiatus until my youngest daughter started knitting about 2 yrs ago. I'm not an advanced knitter, but I do enjoy knitting and have become addicted to socks - they're portable and short-term projects. I'm amazed at how much information on knitting there is on line. I think this site is particularly good and I'm glad I found it. -j

OTN: socks w/self-patterned yarn, dishcloth to practice stitch patterns on, and charity baby afghan.

KiraFoxy
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Hello everyone!

I just joined a bit ago, but have been browsing the forums for at least a week.

I have been knitting maybe only 2-3 weeks now after teaching myself how with a kit, and I'm having fun knitting a Doctor Who scarf for myself. :cheering:

lauraknits
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I have been lurking for about a month and really learned a lot. I used to knit as a child and gave it up for crotchet because it was faster, then gave it all up as a teen when it was no longer "cool." Just got back into it in my mid -30's and used the video on this site to learn continental. Wow, it is so much easier than right handed. And bonus, now I can knit with both hands. I am working on a sweater in the round in stockinette. Next, I am going to try a fair isle hat, if I can figure out how to read charts! What fun!

madametj
11-13-2006, 08:06 PM
i joined about a week or so ago. i'm madametj and part of a rare breed called the "teen knitter" i've been knitting about a year but still haven't taken on any real big project...i dont have the time or patience. but i am working on my first ipod cozies, i've made tons of scarfs and headbands, and i'm ready to try new things!

Shandeh
11-14-2006, 02:02 AM
:waving: So nice to see all you new people. I really enjoyed reading all your introductions. Such a nice variety of great folks! :wink:

Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

sugrplum499
11-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone! :happydance: My name is Heather. I'm 27, single mother to a 4 year old, I work at a local tourist attraction here in Long Beach CA. I'm an occassional college student. I've been knitting for about a year or so. I usually make scarves, which my friends constantly request LOL But I do also make bookmarks, hats, cell phone purses, big purses, baby booties, etc. I actually donate the booties to a local hospital's NICU. I absolutely cannot wait to find fellow knitters to chat with!

suuuueee
11-15-2006, 12:13 AM
hi there! knittinghelp.com has been one of many resources from which i learned how to knit, but it was definitely the most helpful. you just can't beat visual instructions. thank you amy! :muah:

Cleo
11-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi, I am Cleo and a newbie knitter! I want to thank Amy for such a site... I know, Amy, you have probably heard this many times, I would love to hear your story at why you decided to invest in this... and I hope your realize what a great thing you have done for so many people!!!

Kind of like a family friend who stops by to teach you to knit (virtually tho') :muah: Once again, thank you and know you are appreciated!!!

faymo
11-16-2006, 02:31 PM
:waving: Hi everyone. My name is Fay and first of all I have to say I love your smilies :thumbsup: I want to learn how to knit and make sweaters for my dog. his name is Sparkey and hopefully he will show up in my avatar. I know the basics, I can make a square but can't shape or make arm holes. The videos on this site are very well done and I learnt a lot. so I hope you don't mind me joining you here since I'm not really good at these things. But I hope I can learn. I already ordered some yarn from knit picks :wink:

suzq85
11-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I am such a newbie, so far I've bought a ton of books, a DVD and a bit of yarn in addition to a set of needles (nothing great). I have wanted to knit for years, but never got up the courage. Why, I'll never know. I scrapbook (10 years), embroider (36 yrs. I was 14), sew (36 yrs), do needlepoint (32 yrs), decoupage (30 yrs.), and various other craft projects. I have a lot of "spare" time as I'm in a wheelchair and have MS. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm a happy camper. I'm married to a minister, who is the world's nicest man. We are the PROUD parents of a two year old Shih Tzu named Annie Rose. Love, love, love our Annie! We don't have any human children, but we've been married 21 years and still happy!

I love this site and am extremely grateful for it! If I can ever be of any help to anyone, feel free to let me know!
:muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :cheering: :cheering:

Mom to a Spoiled Maltese
11-17-2006, 02:53 AM
:waving: Hi I'm Susan I live in Michigan. I'm 21 and have an adorable Maltese who I love to pieces. That is her in my avatar. I don't know much about knitting but that is why I am here. I want to learn how to make a sweater for her and some scarfs. But I think that after I am here I will see more I want to learn how to do. I'm looking forward to seeing all of your projects.

Shandeh
11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Welcome all you dog-lovers! :hug: You'll be at home here, that's for sure. We are glad to have you in our little group. :heart:

katie09
11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone, another newbie knitter here. My name is Katie. I'm 24, married just over 5 years and mother to two wonderful boys, Aidan (3 1/2) and Zackary (3 months).

I actually got interested in knitting while reading "A Good Yarn" by Debbie Macomber a few weeks ago. It sounded so fun to read about it, I figured I'd give it a try myself and I just love it. Very relaxing (which is nice when you have two young'uns LOL).

I've been reading around the boards for about a week and I'm thrilled that everyone here is so helpful. It makes me more confident to try new things knowing that if I have trouble someone here will most likely be able to help me out. And I love looking at everyone's finished projects...definite inspiration.

I look forward to being a part of this happy, helpful group. :waving:

stagebear
11-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi everyone - I'm Lisa. I just taught myself how to knit last November, so I've been learning for a year now. I've done a few scarves, but now I've begun two blankets - a spring one for me and a baby blanket for a friend. I also just started a pair of wristwarmers.

Ingrid
11-19-2006, 08:24 PM
So many new people! Welcome!! :waving:

Shandeh
11-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Welcome, all you fine knitting friends! :muah:

jc4shrx
11-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Hello, I'm JC. I've been knitting for about a year and a half. I like to knit small things because I get enthusiastic about too many projects at once. So, lots of purses and mittens and such.

I am a San Jose Sharks fan (hence my username) and I knit during the game intermissions to keep from dying of boredom (though watching the Zamboni go round and round can be hypnotic).

rgcisco
11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Everyone

First off I have to say what a lifesaver this website is. I had just recently started knitting and was having problems. I found this website and watched one of the videos and what do you know. It helped me fix my problem. I just made a great looking swatch. :muah: I look forward to speaking to you all, and would like to thank Amy for the website.

Talk to ya soon,

FoxyLady
11-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi all.

I'm Amanda, and not all that new to knitting, but new to some of the more complicated stitches that Amy has so graciously mades videos of!

I'm 29, from Toronto, mum to Grant who is going to be 11 on Sunday (shocking!) and I work in politics. So knitting & crocheting (to which I am new) is a good way to settle in the evening.

Look forward to chatting with you all and learning lots of new stuff!

11-25-2006, 12:51 AM
I am in the process of knitting my first sweater. So far after the back and begining of the fron it is going ok. But, some of the upcoming instructions are not clear. I look forward to being able to ask for help when I need it. I think I will be able to get help here.
Thanks.

mrs.hre
11-26-2006, 03:55 PM
hi everyone
i am verrrrrrrrrry new to this chatting not sure on how it works yet so bare with me. i am a new knitter and love it. maggie :waving:

11-26-2006, 11:31 PM
My name is Molly. I am a physician and still at work at age 64. I knitted years ago and recently started anew. I am working on my first sweater.
This appears to be a forum made for learning and I look forward to spending time here.

zoesmama
11-27-2006, 04:04 AM
I am a new knitter. I just knitted my very first thing with the the help of your nifty videos and instructions. I made the North Country socks. It took me three days to make one sock (because I started out with a different free pattern that had a lot of mistakes in it, before I found your site). It also took me three days because my dd, my first, is 9 months old and teething. Thank you for maintaining this site it's fabulous!
:cheering:

Dawn

tilllie
11-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I love this site. I have been knitting forever but mostly self taught so it is a great place to learn the right way to do things! My biggest problem is that I get caught up on reading the posts that I miss out on kniting time! Tillie

want_2_learn_2_knit
11-27-2006, 11:22 PM
as you can tell by my name-I want to learn how-I just haven't yet. I have been wanting to for quite some time now and hope to learn from you all.

Nicole

Ingrid
11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Welcome everyone!!! :waving: :waving:

Lizzi
11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi there!
I'm Lizzi. I'm 23 from the North of England (Sunderland) and began knitting yesterday, learning from the very helpful videos on this site.

I began my knitting, aiming for a scarf, as I figured it's the ultimate beginner piece of legend! Sadly, what I've actually made resembles a bookmark with a corner in it... I believe this is due to some holes in the knitting. I only wish I knew how I managed to get the holes in in the first place... doh!

Oh well, I'm still pretty impressed with my first attempt. Now I just need to cut my losses and begin again!

I'm looking forward to chatting ro you all on here!

Lizzi xxx

H_and_D
11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi all,
My name is Christina. I am 24 and live in Minnesota, USA.

I have been knitting on and off since college. I can do basic knitting but I don't know any of the complicated techniques so that is what I am hoping to learn.

I have made a lot of scarves and even an afghan for a wedding present for my sister. However that was just a bunch of blocks I sewed together. It still came out nice though.

I am excited to find this site and tap all of your knitting knowledge!

beanieboo
11-28-2006, 10:31 PM
I just started knitting last month and am having fun so far! I'm a massage therapist, so there are days where I'm sitting around a lot waiting for clients (down time). I hope to make good use of that time making lovely scarves and mittens for my husband. :happydance:

OneCraftySAHM
11-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Oops...I posted in the wrong spot! Geez, I'm off to a great start, lol.

Hi from WV! I'm Jeanie a 30 year old stay at home mom with 2 handsome boys! I seriously just bought my first pair of knitting needles the other day and sat down to learn today! I got the cast on down and the knit stitch (a bit slow on it still though, lol) This site was recommended to me and it has been sooooo very much help! I thought I'd join the forum to meet other knitter's and hopefully make some knitting friends along the way! WOO!

Ingrid
11-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Welcome everyone! You've all joined the friendliest site there is!!

GennyLynn1962
11-28-2006, 11:14 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Welcome to everyone.

KH is a wonderful place. The people are great and very helpful.

One warning though - it is addictive - before you know it you'll be hooked like the rest of us. :teehee:

snowangel
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have been knitting since I was about 8 but I have never done anything more complicated than purling.

I have been scrapbooking for the last several years and I even worked in a scrapbooking store but I started teaching art at a school and I just don't have the creative energy to make scrapbook pages. Maybe again in the summer.

I have really enjoyed knitting lately because I can make things and be creative but I haven't been putting as much pressure on myself.

I am learning some new things and I am really interested in learning more-- like how to make those cool wrist warmers!

Nice to meet you all!
Abby

PurpleMittens
12-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Ahoy, I went to a meeting of the knitting circle on campus, and though they were nice people, they didn't really help me much in learning. So I came here and the site proved to be very instructive.

I am presently in the middle of my first project, a scarf that actually sort of resembles a scarfy type thing!

Nice site, it looks like a very good community.

cretin
12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi. I'm new here I'll stop and talk later, I'm on a mission to find a pattern for a greyhound sweater :wall: It's driving me crazy!

Nan101
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Hello,

I've been knitting, crocheting and doing needlework since I was about 11.
One thing I have never tried was knitting a pair of socks. I was looking for information on sock knitting when I found your site. You all seem like a really nice group of people and this site has a wealth of information. I have started my sock and so far I am pleased with the progress. In two days I have knitted the leg, heel and am now doing the gusset. This will be my test sock since I have seen two mistakes that I will need to correct on the next pair.

Ingrid
12-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Welcome, everyone! :waving: :waving:

wildflower38
12-06-2006, 08:19 AM
I registered a few weeks ago, and I never posted a hello. I'm a new knitter. I started knitting in October 2006. I really like it. I tried crocheting in my teens but I got frustrated and gave it up when i had to rip apart an afghan I was trying to create. I'm glad this site is here because a have alot of beginner questions..... :happydance:

Webigail
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I didn't even notice this introduction area :oops:

Well, I'm a newbie, been knitting for a few weeks. I taught myself to crochet and registered for a crocheting class, but ended up taking the knitting class (no one else registered, so it was a private lesson :happydance: ). For some reason, I have always been intimidated by knitting. Crocheting seems to be much easier, despite the various stitches.

At any rate, I was scouring the net for help with knitting after taking my first knitting class and found...this haven. Not only am I addicted to knitting, but I'm addicted to this forum :muah:

Guin
12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
I taught myself how to crochet and knit about 11 years ago.
My hands ache if I don't knit , I love it !

I am happily married and have 3 kids.

Finally , I got the nerve up to design my own sweater.
It is on the needles and feels like it is taking forever . I keep putting it down to knit up some hats and mittens for my kids .
Anyway , it will be a raglan ribbed sweater when finished .

MarDi
12-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi! I'm brand new to this forum, and also to the world of knitting. A new addition to our family expected in March has propelled me with steely determination to learn knitting from the ground floor up, and to eventually (hopefully) produce incredibly lovely knitted things... now all I need is know-how and self-confidence, which I'm on my way to having thanks in huge part to knittinghelp.com's videos and forum!

I just began my self-taught knitting journey a few months ago, and have already compiled enough of a precious stash to rival most local yarn shops... (If there was a way to ban myself from online yarn shops, I most surely would)!

I wish you all a very wonderful holiday season, and much peace and happiness in the new year! :grphug:

MichelleLeigh
12-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi there....
I'm fairly new to knitting. I have made several scarfs, 2 afgans, and one hat ( I'm being kind by calling it a "hat"). Now I'm venturing out to try dpn and knitting up some mittens. It's touch and go, but with the help of some people from this forum I think I can actually do it.

Everyone here seem so nice and friendly. Willing to help and a real community. I love it. I have seen other sites that aren't nearly as friendly.

Thank you in advance for all the help I'm sure you'll be.

Happy Holidays!!!
Michelle

segundoloteian
12-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I first learned to knit in a biology class in high school, but haven't done much with it since then. I've picked it back up over the past couple of weeks (almost an entire biochemistry degree later)--in large part thanks to this fabulous site! I'm astounded at how fast I've become addicted, and at how much knitting I can get done during a single class!

I have a tendency to be a bit over ambitious, so I'm very much looking forward to learning from all of you experienced and knowledgeable knitters...hopefully I will soon be able to contribute usefully, too.

Cheers!

Ingrid
12-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I turn my back and there are bunches of new people! Welcome! :hug:

eladine
12-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Hello peoples!

Great site... absolutely amazing. :)

I've knitted on and off for years, normally with my Gran sat at the side of me telling me what to do - probably accounts for my inability to follow/decipher a pattern!

Having said that, I've never actually made (and finished...) anything!

Currently working on a scarf!

Will try not to post too many silly newbie questions!

Eladine
:happydance:

Solo
12-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Hallo, I'm Lindsay. ^^ I was pointed to this place by my friend Jessical, because I don't know what I'm doing. And since she's more or less responsible for planting the seed of knitting in my brain, I demanded (begged and pleaded for) her assistance.

My friend Selina turned me on to knitting when she tossed a ball of yarn with needles stuffed in it and a book that claimed I, too, could learn to knit all kinds of awesome stuff in 10, 20, or 30 minutes. This proved false, as neither of us could decifer that book and I went out and got another the next day. ^____^

So I have not accomplished much other than a bunch of randomly sized squares. ^^ My goal is to make doll sweaters and other accesories.

Carissa
12-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi all....Found this site back in August when researching online how-to videos for knitting, and it's been extremely helpful. I wanted to say thanks to the site owner for providing these video clips for free to the public, they were a nice side addition to go with the 4 week class I took in my local area several months ago. Recently I needed an online demonstration for how to knit socks, and this site came up again in my Google search. I didn't even realize back in August when I first found this site that you guys had a sock how-to video, so it was very cool to find that demo here! Anyway, because of that, I went ahead and purchased the $20 how-to CD to watch on my computer so I could get the full 40 minute lesson. I just started both knitting and crocheting in August, and it was my goal to be able to knit socks by the winter. Looks like I'll be able to do it! :happydance: Books just can't adequately explain the socks thing, and there aren't any classes for sock knitting happening right now where I live. To learn something like this I need to see it, so, I'm thankful for this site, otherwise I would have hit a dead end.

So far I've knitted assorted things like scarves, and a carrying case for my camera, things like that, but I'm ready for something more challenging. So thanks again to the site owner for the free video clips and the services you provide. :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi eladine, solo, and carissa!! Welcome to the forums!! Don't forget to check out the Q&A forum if you have questions (chances are 100 people already had the same question!!) and show off your FOs and WsIP (finished objects, works in proress) in the Watcha Knittin Forum.

Hildie.

geenah
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Hello, hello. I'm new to the world of knitting. I've always wanted to learn how to knit, but never thought I could do it on my own. After buying a learn to knit kit at my local craft store, I tried it out last night and didn't understand anything, espically since I'm a very visual learner. My husband told me after I was abou to give up to look online and see if I could find any videos, and presto! I found this site. Since then I've been practicing, and I'm not a pro yet, but it could be worse. Anyway, thanks so much!!

-Gina

SierraMist
12-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Hello everyone!

I am joining the forums as a knitting newbie. My grandmother was a master knitter, and I hope to one day create items as beautiful as hers. Unfortunately, she's not around anymore to teach me her great skills firsthand, but luckily I have found this site, which has proven invaluable!

So far I've learned the basics, but haven't created much more than a few squares and the beginnings of a scarf. It's pretty challenging, but I hope with practice I'll get better and faster.

Expect me to be hanging out and asking a bunch of questions. :)

madametj
12-11-2006, 12:43 AM
welcome everyone! :waving:

u'll luv it here, trust me

GennyLynn1962
12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
:waving:

Welcome

Willow
12-14-2006, 03:04 AM
I'm new to this site, but I'm sure most, if not all of you know my hubby, he goes by the name Rorshach. He convinced me to sign on here to improve my skill and have a general outlet other than him for questions.

put on your thinkin' caps cuz I have lots of 'em.

ysabell616
12-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi, My name is Tracy and I'm from Texas. My grandmother tried to show me how to knit when I was a girl, but it didn't stick. I have gotten started using Amy's videos. I am interested in spinning and weaving too. I have cross-stitched and done other needlework for years. I also scrapbook. I have only learned to cast on, knit, and purl so far, and I'm practicing making my stitches even. I've tried binding off once, not too successfully, as I forgot to finish the last stitch...not sure how to do theat yet :shrug:

mystery
12-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi, my name is Marina; I have a husband and a baby girl, and that's all I'm gonna say! When I was seven years old, my sister five and my brother 4, when my mom would sit down to knit, we would ask for needles and "knit" with her. A couple of years later, I dropped knitting and picked it up again a couple of weeks ago. So far I remember most of what I learned, but like ysabell616, I still can't figure out what to do with the last stitch after binding off.
Anyway, this is a great website and a wonderful forum. Everyone is so friendly! Keep it up ladies, I hope I fit in too!
-Peace

mystery
12-15-2006, 11:08 PM
I still can't figure out what to do with the last stitch after binding off.

Never mind, I figured it out!
"When all stitches in the row have been bound off, cut a tail at least 4" long (or as long as the pattern specifies) and pull this tail through the last stitch, pulling to secure the work."

ysabell616
12-15-2006, 11:14 PM
do tell what you discovered about binding off! :)

mystery
12-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Read the small print in my last post :)

EgyptianLady
12-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Hi,,, My name is Dina and I'm quite new to knitting and was thrilled to find this awesome website :teehee: , it really helped me alot to get professional on some techniques. In Egypt we only use the English method, but from this site I learned about the international method and i really prefer it to ours.
Anybody from egypt or the middleast, give me five...

Ingrid
12-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Welcome everyone!! :waving:

resazurin
12-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Welcome all! :cheering:

Dina (EgyptianLady) I am from Abu Dhabi, UAE! Do you have a lot of yarn shops in Egypt?

mstirgwolt
12-19-2006, 10:22 PM
I think that this is such a wonderful site. The videos are amazing, everything is amazing!

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

Shandeh
12-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Hello new members! :waving:

FearTheSpork
12-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi! I'm pretty new to knitting. I've been wanting to learn since I was seven, and learned how to cast on and knit and bind off when I was ten, but kept dropping it for many months at a time. I always got bored of making plain baby blankets and scarves and dishcloths. Three weeks ago, I decided that I was going to learn to do patterns and stuff if it killed me, and turned to the internet, since I didn't know anyone who knew how to do that. Soon enough, I found a site that gave me directions on increasing, purling, and decreasing. Unfortunately, the directions on purling were wrong, and I got really frustrated, trying in vain to make this (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/moosecloth.html) dishcloth, then found this site, and learned to purl and stuff. I also switched to Continental knitting recently, and, as soon as I get my hands on some double-pointed and/or circular needles (which will probably not be soon-I've looked everywhere, but I can't find them!), I'm going to try hats and socks and stuff.

mystery
12-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I think I've been here long enough to welcome new members. So... welcome to the forum! I know you'll like it here :)

Jackie M.
12-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi, My name is Tracy and I'm from Texas.

Hi Tracie :waving:

I'm in the DFW area too! Only been knitting a little over a year and getting better.

Ravennwings
12-20-2006, 09:57 PM
I just have to say, WOW. I mean, just absolutely WOW.

I'm a 19-year-old SAHM trying to put myself through college and help take care of my son, Tobias. To try and raise up money, I decided to do something I've always wanted to do--start up my own craft shop. I 've always been good at making stuff, particularly hemp necklaces (which are always sexy and never go out of style, lol). I'd always wanted to make my own shop, but never had the means--until I discovered Etsy. With Etsy, I have achieved a life goal, lol. So now, since I'm already good with hemp, leather, and the like, I figured I'd try my hand at knitting. But I had no idea where to begin; the patterns made absolutely NO sense to me (okay so the patterns themselves still don't, but at least I know how to do this stuff now).

And then, I found this site, and I have to just say that this site has been SO VERY VERY HELPFUL. I mean, it's just absolutely incredible!!!! The videos are sooo easy to follow, and almost everything I need to know is right here. So thank you, thank you, THANK YOU from the very bottom of my heart! :notworthy: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Shandeh
12-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Nice to meet you, Raven! :) Good luck with the craft shop!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Welcome Raven and Sporky!!!

cinnybuns
12-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi guys GREAT SITE BTW

I'm a beginner knitter, made a few scarfs when I was up in Buffalo New York.

Now that I moved back down to NYC i'm interested in knitting some mittens to go with my scarf.

I recently purchased my stitch n bitch handbook, and am working on the fuzzy cuff mittens.

It's my first project with double pointed needles, knitting in a round, anyone who can help me would be helpfull.

Thanks all :heart:

madametj
12-26-2006, 03:04 PM
welcome cinnybuns! welcome new members! :waving:

Knitting_Guy
12-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm a 45 yar old guy, a trucker by trade, who just took up knitting. When I say "just" I mean as of yesterday.

I am working on my very first project, a simple garter stitch scarf for my mother. It's a slow start, but thanks to Amy's wonderful videos I am starting to get the hang of it.

Many thanks to Amy for the wonderfully helpful videos. I'd still be lost without them.

Jess_knit
12-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone - this is a fabulous site!

I'm a new, 14 year old knitter who's been lurking and avidly reading posts for a couple weeks. I learned to knit when I was in third grade, but dropped it for a couple years out of boredom. I picked it back up again a few weeks ago when I found this site, and this time, I was instantly hooked.

I've made a few simple scarves (garter, stockinette) and a few little projects. Right now I'm working on the Branching Out scarf, which is far easier than I expected, and fun when I'm not ripping my hair out over a dropped/extra stitch. (Which tends to happen at least once a repeat :wall:)

I got the KP Options set as an early Christmas/Hanukkah present, and love them, and my yarn stash is already building up too much for a new knitter! I'm hoping to visit my LYS for the first time tomorrow or in the next few days, and buy some yarn for a pretty shawl.

The posts here are a huge help, as are the videos, so thank you everyone! xxx

madametj
12-27-2006, 07:53 PM
welcome Knitting_Guy! Welcome Jess_knit! we definetly need more guy and teenage knitters :cheering:

msd1984
12-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I'm Mary and I just regestered. I'm a pet groomer, soaper...well I guess I try lots of stuff. I've done a little knitting and have mostly found it frustrating. I got a DVD and made myself finish a scarf. Socks have my attention right now. I so want to be able to turn a heel! LOL! Last year, one of my grooming customers mentioned she knits...well, actually, I think she was relaying a story about her dog eating her wood needles but that's another story! I must have pounced on her a bit harder than I realised when I asked if she knit socks, because she remembered and this Christmas she gave me needles, a pattern and yarn that self -patterns into the coolest socks! Our local yarn store where she got it, will let people come and hang out and learn. I'm a little intimidated as now she'll be asking if they are done! She's just the best and I so want to do well by this yarn. It's in the other room so I can't see the name but It's so cool!

I'm so glad I found this site now too. I've looked over the videos some and I'm sure they will be invaluable. I'll be around and will post when I can. Thanks for having me!
Mary <><

Ingrid
12-28-2006, 12:13 AM
A big welcome to all our new members! :waving: :waving:

Knitting_Guy
12-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks madametj, I appreciate it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Welcome everyone!!! I'm so happy to have such enthusiastic new members!

Lilsea
12-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi! I've used this site alot and didn't realize there were forums! I'm so excited! I actually found the forums while searching for P2TOG TBL...I was totally doing it wrong and glad I found this!

My name is Barb...I'm 31 and I learned to crochet when I was about 10. A dear friend taught me how to knit nearly 3years ago, shortly after my Nanna passed. I discovered my Nanna knit, and had started an afghan when my mom was pregnant with me. I acquired the pieces of the afghan, a pair of bent needles, some old old yarn and the pattern written on the small paper of an assignment pad. I was determined to learn to knit.

So I did and have been knitting every since.

I've been married for 8yrs, and my hubby and I have 6 kids, a son who's 7 and our daughters are 6,5,4,3 and 1 month.

I look forward to posting with you!

CamNMeg
12-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim and I'm 28 and a SAHM to 2 children, Cam who is almost 3 and Meg who is 6 months. I'm really a newbie knitter. I learned a week and a half ago by watching Amy's videos. Right now I'm in the middle of 2 projects: an orange cotton washcloth for my son & a scarf for my Mom for her birthday. You all seem to provide such great info! I'm so glad I found these forums while I'm still learning.

madametj
12-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Welcome Lilsea and CamNMeg! :waving: You're gonna luv it here. :thumbsup:

(they should make me the official greeter :teehee:)

OldSoul
12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi
My name is Chris (OldSoul). I've been making jewelry and painting watercolors for years, but I have just started knitting. I've visited this site often for the How To videos. I bought books, but the videos really make a difference. So far, I have knit about 4 scarves (got waay carried away on one--I could wrap it around my neck about 3 times and still almost trip on it).

I am finding that yarn is as addictive to me as beads or watercolor supplies. I have to work just to pay for my hobbies! The added bonus is that with my hands busy, I am snacking much less at night!

So thank you, to whoever took the time to make and post the videos. It has really helped enormously in building my confidence. Now, all I need is more space to keep my growing stash of beautiful yarns!

DragonsChest
12-30-2006, 01:54 AM
I am Suzy, aka DragonsChest. I learned how to knit about 26 years ago. I knitted for a while, then moved on to other things. I picked up yarn and needles again about two weeks ago, and I am enjoying it immensely.

From the basic techniques section of this site, I learned that I knit in the Continental method. And that this is what is used mainly in Germany. And guess what? That was where I was taught to knit, while I was an exchange student in Hamburg, Germany.

Anyhoo, I plan on zipping around the forum, reading and learning. Thanks for having a place like this. See ya!

hunterjenn
12-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Weeeellll, now I feel left out! I've been posting to this site for more than a year, but I think I got so caught up in getting questions answered that I never DID introduce myself!

So here I am. :teehee: I'm an almost-3-year-old SAHM. My twin boys are 4 years old now, and while they keep me busy, I've always had plenty of time to sew, upholster, replace my baseboards...you name it!

The truth is that I'm too dumb to know when something should be "too hard" for me, so last time I got real and truly bored, I decided to take up knitting! I bought yarn and needles to make a sweater for my unborn niece...who was 2 weeks from her due date! With amazing help from the videos and everyone here, I managed to finish it--lace pattern and all--on the day she was born. :) And I've been an addict ever since.

Big hugs and kisses to all of you for being so supportive and kind and encouraging! :muah: I know I still need help sometimes, and you all are wonderful.

ETA: I'm almost THIRTY, not THREE!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

LadyB
12-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I was sooo excited when I found this site! My name is Brenda, and I'm a thirty-something :wink: housewife and mom to an 11 year-old son. I've been knitting, off and on, for 16 :shock: (16!?!) years, and can generally be found with at least 3 projects going at once :teehee:. Lookin' forward to stitchin' with y'all. xxx

temergency
12-31-2006, 12:21 PM
I found this site while looking for a deal on Denise needles (I've since purchased the rainbow ones!) after Christmas because I received cash from my DBF!!! I'm hooked on this site and in the last few days, I'm hooked on continental knitting! I started knitting when I was young, my grandmother taught me (God rest her soul) and I've been knitting and crocheting (That was from my Nana!) ever since with a few breaks....I have fibromyalgia and have pretty much dropped the crocheting because my wrist can't take the motion. When I went through the tutorials on continental knitting I was estatic! I can scoop and loop and it looks much nicer and goes a lot quicker than my American way. My shoulder is killing me because I find myself with a death grip on the right needle but I'm working through that!!!!!! I'm so looking forward to this site, I even did the Holiday KAL yesterday to "test" my new skills and it came out beautiful.. Now back to my mobius cowl and waiting anxiously for new needles and yarn that I purchased on ebay...handspun mohair, angora and alpaca....now all I have to do is find a top down cardigan pattern for larger women. Have a great day! Theresa from the Tug Hill in New York! :muah:

Margo
12-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Hello everyone. I am so pleased to have been able to find this knitting forum, as I am going to need all the help I can get. I've been knitting for a year now but I have only ever done tiny dolls bags and rag dolls.

Now I want to take my knitting to the next step and learn how to knit socks, gloves, sweaters & Ponchos. I look at knitting patterns and think what the?? :??

So I have printed off some lessons I found on the net to try and help me.
I am sure I'll be asking you guys lots of questions.

A little about me, I'm 35. I live in the UK, I'm married and we have 3 boys, 17, 16 & 10. If I'm not knitting I'm usually reading. I also do a little oil painting and like to watch movies and listen to music. :waving:

madametj
12-31-2006, 04:44 PM
welcome new members! be sure to stop by extra often ;)

vze25nyk
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
My name is Crystal I am from Brooklyn Newyork, currently leaving in Maryland now I just statrted knitting yesterday. I followed the beginners video clips and now im knitting, I am so excited I can wait to learn more techniques. I love this site. :happydance:

MoniDew
12-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Hello,

MoniDew from Broken Arrow, OK, suburb of Tulsa, NE corner of the state. Anyone else from OK? :heart:
________
Honda cbr600rr history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBR600RR)

Lilsea
12-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi all and welcome! I look forward to posting lots :) :) It's wonderful to see so many here ;) :)

toggle
01-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi, I'm toggle.

I'm a SAHM who likes to knit and cook and aviod cleaning and other horrible stuff.

I've been knitting on and off for over 20 years and I've decided to improve my skills as a knitter and begin to publish some of my own designs

kri
01-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok, here's an attempt at introducing myself.

I'm a lifelong crafter, and just learned how to knit a year ago. I have become completely obsessed with the fiber arts, and I think knitting (and potentially spinning) is my new passion. It has taken over my creative life.

Ingrid
01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the best forum on the web, everyone!

five_six
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM

...dotty...
01-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Hello knitters ! I've been lurking for awhile; found you guys after using the videos to learn a few things. I've been knitting 'this time' for about 6 months..........did it a little when I was in my 20's, and thought I'd forgotten everything. I stumbled upon Etsy.com last Spring, and was motivated to try it again, by all the great yarns now being offered !

I'm learning so much more this time around........never thought ""I"" would be able to knit a PAIR OF SOCKS ! ! ! But I can ! And who knows what's next ? ! ?

Finding this forum was like a treasurefield, and I have been reading posts from many of you for months now. Thought it was about time to come out of the shadows !

I asked for help in my first post yesterday, and was helped by so many, right off the bat. Thank you all for being there..............now, let's have some fun ! :teehee:

madametj
01-02-2007, 01:26 AM
...dotty... that is the cutest name ever! :teehee:

welcome to the blogs ppls :waving:

...dotty...
01-02-2007, 01:30 AM
:aww:

JoeE
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi, my name is Joe. I'm from New Albany, IN (which is very near Louisville, KY). My Aunt Shirley taught me to knit when I was a kid, but I never did much with it because I never quite mastered how to hold the yarn so it wasn't a laborious process.

I decided I wanted a knit scarf, so I got some yarn and some needles and made me one--and it only took about two years to finish it. After that scarf, I decided to learn to do it right. Found this site, and I've been busy re-learning how to knit.

So far I've knit two more scarves and a dish cloth, but I'm hoping to get a little bolder and try something more challenging.

I'm enjoying reading a lot of the posts and seeing that the problems I'm having aren't unique, and that's good to know.

Joe

brendajos
01-02-2007, 10:08 PM
ah Joe...welcome!

I'm getting tired of scarves, but everything else frightens me.

:teehee: That probably shoudln't have made me chuckle but it did. What is the worst that could happen if you tried something new?

For me...the worst that happened was that i got addicted. :shrug:

not a bad tradeoff! ;)

Ferol
01-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Just introducing myself...I've been lurking for several weeks and thought I'd finally take the plunge.

I'm Ferol, from Ohio. I'm a newbie to knitting, but I've discovered its addictiveness and really enjoy what I've learned so far! I've been a crocheter for years, but I always thought of learning to knit as daunting - turns out I was wrong. So far I've knitted I plain garter stitch scarf in a funky yarn, and an Irish Hiking Scarf in a plain yarn. I've also got approximately a frillion practice swatches that I'm not entirely sure what to do with. lol

Anyway, I really enjoy the site, and look forward to learning more!

...dotty...
01-03-2007, 12:46 AM
It IS amazing how quickly you can go from scarves to socks ! :happydance:
I think the most freeing thing I read a few months back was the statement that there are only 2 stitches in knitting.........knit and purl ! That totally opened my eyes.........it sounds like such an obvious truth, but a beginner gets all wound up in the words 'increase' and 'decrease' and 'yarn over', etc...........you think OH MY GOD, I can never do all that ! But that earlier statement made me realize that everything is just a variation of the very basic two stitches, and I slowed down and took it one step at a time.

Don't get me wrong, there is SO MUCH for me still to learn, but it all seams so DO-ABLE now ! :yay:

DragonsChest
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Hello,

MoniDew from Broken Arrow, OK, suburb of Tulsa, NE corner of the state. Anyone else from OK? :heart:

Yes! I also live in Broken Arrow. I'm going to my first meeting of the Fiber Guild in Bixby on Saturday, Jan 27. Maybe I'll meet you there?

kjharris
01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Hello all,
I'm a brand new knitter (as in, I've just learned to cast on successfully! :happydance: ) I'm located in the beautiful rainy city of Portland, Oregon. This site is wonderful and I'm sure I will be a frequent visitor. I'm hoping to learn enough to knit a few scarves for Christmas next year!

LADYDINC
01-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone: My name is Dianne Maxcy and I'm new. I hope I can learn to use the forum ok. I've been knitting now for about a year. Scarved myself to death at first. I've been working on my first sweater and I'm so excited. I live in Clemmons, N.C which is just 10 mins. out of Winston-Salem, N.C. We have three yarn shops in Winston-Salem. My favorite is called Knit Picky. We have open knit nite on Weds. and we have a great group. I hope to meet lots of new friends here at the forum. Hope to hear from you all soon.
Di

Emilie
01-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Hi there :) My name is Emilie and I'm a stay at home mom to my son Ben (34 months) and daughter Katie (20 months). I've been using the site to teach myself to knit, as the lessons from my 90 year old blind granny just didn't cut it ;) I just finished my very first project tonight (a very long scarf!) using the videos from the site & some tips from the forum here. I'm really excited to learn more & branch out from making scarves ;)

dustinac
01-06-2007, 09:59 AM
:cheering: Yay!! So good to see so many new comers.. You will love it here.. Welcome to the forum!!! :cheering:

imported_Knitty_Kat
01-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm Jenn, I'm 26 years-old and from Atlanta, GA. I'm not really new to knitting, but I'm new to the forums. This website has been wonderful for me. The videos are clear and thorough. I'm looking forward to talking about knitting with everyone here. :happydance:

RooGirl
01-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi every one! My name is Nicole, I'm 23 -until the end of this month-. I live in Burbank, CA. I'm a Project Manager for Kitchen and Bath Remodeling.
I was so happy to find this website! As a fairly new knitter there were some advanced techniques that left me sitting on my couch, yarn in hand, scratching my head thinking, :?? 'how in the heck am I supposed to do that?????!!!!' Thanks to the videos and glossary, I'm happily knitting away on the Reversible Shamrock Dishcloth for a gift for my mother-in-law.

five_six
01-07-2007, 12:05 AM

cherswansea2001
01-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Hiya,
Im Donna, Im from swansea in south wales uk. Im 27 and have 2 kids, one on the way.
Im new to knitting and havent really started yet, tried to do casting on last night but couldnt get the hang of the next bit :wall:
Found the videos on this site to be extremely helpful, altho i havent tried to follow them yet LOL But im sure they will help loads.
Hope to chat with u all soon
Donna.

Kathy_knits
01-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Kathy and I just started knitting about a month ago. I purchased some books and could not seem to get the hang of it so I went online and started searching for knitting help and viola~arrived at the greatest knitting help site in the world. I have learned so much here. I have made one completed scarf in a fun fur (I was too new to realize that it was not the easiest yarn to work with, LOL). I am now working on the "magic scarf" from Crazy Aunt Purl's site. I am also trying to do some bookmarks in a #10 cotton with size 2 needles. I am having trouble trying to keep my tension even so I can get into my stitches on my bookmarks so I keep ripping out and reknitting :). I am so happy to have found this place and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

zip
01-08-2007, 04:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Shandeh's sister and I live in southern California. I've been knitting off and on since high school, which translates to about thirty-three years. Yet, I'm still learning.

I've been relying on Amy's videos for assorted techniques, but didn't link the site to my sister's presence here until this Christmas. I'm happy to be here!

~zip, aka Ginger

Shandeh
01-08-2007, 06:48 AM
It's my sistah!!!! Woo Hoo!
:woohoo:

gypsygirl
01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi all! I'm Karen, currently living in Waco, TX, originally from the UK.

madametj
01-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Glad to have you here :waving:

CounselorScarf
01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi there. My name is Melody and I'm an attorney in Seattle (hence the "counselor" part of my username) and I've been knitting since just after Thanksgiving last year. Last year right after Thanksgiving I said, 'I think I'll knit some scarves as Christmas presents' and managed to complete three garter stitch scarves. I'm hooked. I've graduated to the purl stitch just recently.

madametj
01-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi there. My name is Melody and I'm an attorney in Seattle (hence the "counselor" part of my username) and I've been knitting since just after Thanksgiving last year. Last year right after Thanksgiving I said, 'I think I'll knit some scarves as Christmas presents' and managed to complete three garter stitch scarves. I'm hooked. I've graduated to the purl stitch just recently.

Welcome to KH CounselorScarf!

hmm, thats an interesting name, i expect to hear from you in the screen names (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14937) topic :teehee:

Bunny
01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi!

My name's Amy, I'm 29 and I'm a New Zealander living in the UK (based in London for the past four years).

I started knitting last winter when I went along to a stitch and bitch run by some girls at work, and now I'm hooked! I've made scarves, hats and booties for a bunch of family and friends and now I'm going to make something for me. I just bought up some lovely soft lux yarn in the sale at John Lewis on Oxford St (though the wool dept there has gone downhill lately, does anyone else agree?)

I'm always on the lookout for yarn shops in London as there only seem to be two in the centre of town?! (I got a good tip about one in Notting Hill recently so going to hunt it down).

Knitting goals this year: My first DPN project and my first sweater

Oh, and learn to crochet! Have ordered Debbie whatsername's stitch n bitch book on crochet so fingers crossed it is good.

I've had some great advice from the peeps on this site so thanks heaps and perhaps I can help someone out one day too!

traceleighj
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello! My name is Tracie and I am from right outside Minneapolis, MN. I have been knitting for about a year and I am totally addicted. I think my husband is now trying to find my hidden yarn....honey, please don't clean THAT closet!

I currently have quite a few projects going- socks, Fair Isle Christmas stocking, and a prayer shawl. I keep telling myself not to start anything new and just finish these projects...but now I am into dishcloths. I'm need the instant gratification right now.

I love this site and everyone here is so friendly and helpful! I have solved many issues from this site!

lcbaer
01-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi. I'm Luke. I'm new to knitting but I love it. I'm working on my first sweater ever. which brings me to a question. The instructions i have call for decreasing 17 sts. for the back and the front. Now, the instructions don't specify what type of decrease to use. Can i just use k2tog? Or is there something more specific i should use. Thanks! and it's great to be here!!

-Luke

Stiney
01-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Hi everyone!

Hey Luke, I would post your question on the How-to board, it will get noticed better there, and people with more experience than me can help you.

aethra
01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Hello, how's it going? I'm Aeth, 22 y/o from Scotland, bowing to your collective loveliness. :notworthy:

I'm sort of a new knitter - well, I used to knit when I was about 10, but couldn't keep the hang of incr/decr's long enough to finish anything more than a scarf or a dolly blanket. :?? I had pink needles, oh yes.

Twelve years later, I've started feeling like giving it another try - and my sister's growing bump is the perfect catalyst! :D So, last month, I discovered my mum's old collection of knitting needles (although there's only one pink one left :crying: ) I've now completed a little hooded blanket thing, a ribbed keyhole scarf (keyhole's where it loops through itself, right?) and hopefully by the end of this week, a bag (nearly there!). These have been pretty much made up as they went along, so I'm gonna have to start looking at patterns... This is where it all went wrong when I was 10, so wish me luck! Although with the help of the videos on here, I may not need as much as I thought! :D

*goes off to look for a free baby sweater pattern...and some new pink needles*