PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Mlss0
01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for this site, I am pretty much a self taught knitter and this site has helped out alot with that.

syndactylus
01-11-2007, 03:30 AM
I've been here a couple days, but didn't see this, so maybe silly but I'm saying hi now.
one of the reasons I was most looking forward to getting a computer for xmas was getting access to this site at home - and in fact it's already been more useful than all the books I've read since I started knitting last year combined.
(since it wasn't until this weekend that I even started doing it right.)
so thanks for existing! :woohoo:

rebecca

Shandeh
01-11-2007, 03:48 AM
:waving: Welcome to the forum! You're gonna LOVE it here!

sig
01-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Hola, hola! Thanks for this wounderful site!!! it has helped me a lot. :cheering: since i´m learning to knitt by myself sometimes get really hard, specially with all the differences of vocabulary. seems to me that every country has it´s own way of knitting!!! :rofl: :grrr: take care!

annomalley
01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I registered a couple of days ago and I missed this post, too.

I have to echo all the thank you's for this site, too. I started knitting last spring and I think I'm ready to graduate from rectangles to something a bit more advanced. The videos have been so helpful! This forum also has been very helpful. :cheering:

goznuru
01-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Ben Türküm (Turkey) ve sizler gibi blogcuyum benimde bloguma gelirseniz sevinirim, yazdıklarınızı anlamıyorum ama resimlerinizden ne anlatmak istediğinizi anlıyorum bende resimlerimi sizlerle paylaşacağım.
Teşekkürler

http://goznuru.blogcu.com

herkesi beklerim

Laurelh
01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I am teaching a friend to knit and came across your website while looking for a good reference site for her to use. I am really impressed with your videos and the supportive community that you offer. If only the internet had existed when I learned to knit!

I also just discovered continental style knitting after knitting english style for 20 years (being a lefty with an old wrist injury I am thrilled to have an option) and so I have already benefited from your how-to's.

My compliments.

madametj
01-12-2007, 05:59 PM
:waving:

ambernowknits
01-14-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm Amber, 19, and living in the boonies of eastern Wyoming. I must thank Amy for making this site. I started knitting last week, on an old Knittingpal loom thing my grandmother purchased through the mail about 18 years ago. She gave it to me to try out, since she never used it, and I found one of the instruction pages missing. I decided to try to learn hand knitting to fill in the blanks. I was ready to give up in frustration (my gran's newest knitting book was published in 1958) when I found this site this evening. My gran thought I'd won the lottery, since I was so happy everything was finally looking the way it was supposed to. I'm very excited to be learning something new, and I can't wait until I'm proficient enough to make afghans and sweaters. Thanks in advance for your patience with all the questions I'm bound to have.

MarchingTwinkie3
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Hello! I'm Kate and I'm a 17 year-old high school senior from a boring suburb of Boston, MA. In addition to knitting I like reading, writing, studying true crime, and playing the viola. This looks like a great place, so I'm sure I'll keep coming back! :happydance:

madametj
01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Welcome new members!

MarchingTwinkie3, your screen name is making me hungry :teehee:

GennyLynn1962
01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Welcome to all of you. This is a wonderful site, the people are friendly and very knowledgeable.

You're going to love it here.

stipma
01-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone,
I have taught myself the very basics of both knitting and crocheting. I always gave up when it came time to learn how to read patterns. I just couldn't seem to master it. Now, I'm determined. I was thrilled when I found this forum and I'm looking forward to talking with all of you.
A little bit about me. I'm 35 years old and the mother of 4 children. I just re-entered the work force after being a stay-at-home mom since the birth of my first daughter 13 years ago.
Chat with you soon.

nikkijack
01-18-2007, 04:39 AM
hi my names nikki, i'm 33 and from england, i'm expecting my 9th baby in june..i'm desperate to try and get something knitted by the time my little arrival comes!! i'm still very basic so i thought i'd join up here to get some help and ideas..

so, a very BIG hello from me :muah:

brokenblossoms
01-18-2007, 01:32 PM
*stands up* My name is Jessica, and I'm a knittaholic. ;)

Well. I'm 18. I've been knitting for almost a year. For three years I was making attempts at learning to knit. Finally I visited learntoknit.com and it finally clicked! For a while I was happy with basic knit, purl, & binding off, so I didn't do much. Then I learned increases and decreases and got my first pair of circulars and it's been addiction ever since. I just learned how to use DPNs & do fairisle (thanks to this loverly website) in December.

I like knitting for Blythe best because I'm impatient. And since Blythe's measurements are all under 2", I can get things finished pretty quickly. Hehehe. :)

photogirl12
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I have learned how to knit through this site and I wanted to meet new knitters.

Alice

betcook
01-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi! My name is Betty.

I've been knitting and crocheting since I was 8 years old. My Great-Aunt taught me to knit (the "German" way) and my Grandmother taught me how to crochet. I love making things for my family, relatives, and friends. Recently our family had a run on new babies and I've been really busy making baby things. This is a wonderful resource because of the wonderful videos and the clear, concise instructions.

My Great-Aunt and Grandmother made everything without reading patterns so I've had to teach myself how to read them. This site will be very helpful to me because even though I've been doing this for 45 years, I'm never too old to learn new tricks! :eyebrow:

Thank you again for being here and I look forward to "talking" to all of you!

Robinknits
01-20-2007, 12:07 AM
I taught myself to knit a year and a half ago and am absolutely addicted! I found the videos on the site the other day. They are great. Things that I thought would be too hard don't see too daunting now. I'm ready to try new things now! This board seems like a great resourse too. I'll be hanging out!

Robin

Nanaof6
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot. I should have clicked on post reply and I click on new topic :oops: :oops:

Hello, I have never knitted in my life, I did do some crocheting once, made the weirdest looking blanket only because I didn't know how to stop and turn the right way and it just grew into a triangle shape ,it was like a king size blanket at one end and a baby blanket at the other end. So I quit. Now at 55 I am hoping to teach myself a new craft. I sew and have made clothes that I still wear. I have brought tons of craft items with the best intent to try and learn something new, but to be truely honest....I have two things that I have brought and never even opened, one is a painting kit with easel and oil paints.....I use to paint and draw when I was in high school, thought that one day I might be an art teacher, but I got married and had babies that needed me. The other craft item is something that I talked my DH into buying off of EbAY for me , it's a Donna DoBerry(sp) one stroke painting kit. There were 7 different kits all in one bid......over $200.........that is down in the basement somewhere unopened too!

The only thing that I have gotten into as of late and liked and stuck to is Stained Glass. I went to classes and fell in love with it.DH was the first one to go to classes and when I watched him I knew I had to learn also. We've set up a small stained glass studio but we haven't made anything to sell yet. It all just gets made as gifts so far.

Like I said I have never knitted before , but I truely want to learn and I'd like to be able to knit something that I would be proud to wear. I went to AmazonBooks.com and got 'Knitting and Crocheting for Dummies' I also have some books coming from Ebay on the topic, all for beginners.

Now that I have found this site I am hoping that I can learn to knit with the help of those that know how.

Nana,

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi new members!!! :muah:

Feel free to PM any of the Mod Squad if you have specific questions about where to find things on the site, how to navigate the forums, or the text effects.

You can post questions about knitting in the HOW TO forum (click here) (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6), and don't forget to use our FABULOUS search feature located at the top of every page.... chances are, if you have a question, 10 other people had the same question too, and the answer is just waiting for you to find it :thumbsup:

We strive to make this a knitting family, not just a forum. Check out the Blog Threads (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=5) for a glimpse into our members' lives... sometimes TMI :teehee: but always full of friendship and support.

We have several Knit-a-Longs (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) going all the time... there is a "challenge" every month, as well as MANY other projects. You can join or start a knit-a-long anytime :) Don't forget to post your process and FO (finished object) in the Watcha Knittin (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) forum!

Got Yarn? Need more? (yes, you do) If you have something to trade or sell, or are looking for notions, good deals on needles, or books, check out the Buy Sell Swap (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) forum.

You can find knitters in your area in the Knitters Knear YOU forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=11) and organize a knit2gether!. Some of us have been known to cross state lines--and country borders!!--to knit together!

Finally, if you're into spinning your own yarn---or if you WANT to be (we are great enablers here!)---check out the Spinning Forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=10).

Welcome! Have fun, make friends, and KNIT! :)

lestrella
01-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi my name is Larissa. I have a 5 year old son and a wonderful husband that puts up with all my mess and yarns and needles all over. I'm a new member of this site (about a week) and I am also a new knitter. I taught myself to crochet about 20 years. I'm always making dolls for my nieces and nephews.

I wanted to try something new, so last week I decided that I wanted to learn how to knit. This site has been very a tremendous help. Last week, I learned a few stitches. Right now, I am working on a scarf for my son's teacher. Her birthday is coming up soon. I'm using a combination of chenille and fur. I'll put some pictures when I finish. Once I'm done with the scarf I want to make something for myself. I'm always making things for everyone else and I have never made anything for myself. I think is about time that I treat myself with a nice sweater or something like that. What do you think?

It's so nice to meet people with the same interests even if it's online. I don't know anyone personally who knits or crochet. Nobody in my family does.

I'm really becoming addicted to this.

rnlaughalot
01-24-2007, 08:18 AM
I have been knitting and crocheting for 30 years but I stopped knitting after my son left home about 15 years ago and now trying to get back into it. I am a night nurse at a local catholic hospital and newly married have a lab and a poodle for kids now. My son recently retired from the navy and has 2 kids-3yrs old and 14 years old and I knitted a Jean Greenhowe doll that was as big as she was for Christmas.

I need help now. I know how to yarn over fine but what do I do with the yarn over on the next row? I just can't figure it out and would love you all to help me.

Hugs
Esther :muah:

cds11
01-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I just started knitting over the weekend.. and I'm so glad I found this site. It's really refreshing to know that if I need help I can come here and have all you knowledgable people help me out, which is great because I don't actually know anyone around me that knits! Hopefully I'll get good enough that I can start helping others.

wandaweberg
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
My name is Wanda and I LOVE to KNIT. Well, I have actually just “rediscovered” it. Began in my 20's - right into making afghans. Then left it alone for about 20 years! Now I’m in my mid-40's and I can’t get enough of knitting. My home is filled with yarn. . .

I am also a rubber stamper and my home is filled with rubber stamps, papers, embossing tools and the like.

I also make my own paper as well as do nature printing, painting watercolors and calligraphy. And I make jewelry.

I schedule friends to come over to create with rubber stamps - just to make sure my supplies are actually being used!

How I have found the time to sit and knit again is a wonder to me! But now that’s ALL I want to do!! :)

And this site is WONDERFUL! Love the knitting videos and camaraderie I have witnessed in just the past week.

Thanks to everyone who is making this site possible.

Wanda be Knitting

pmknit
01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I am a self taught knitter who has been struggling to understand new techniques beyond basic knit and purl, and I would like to knit something other than scarves.

The instructions and videos are more helpful than any book I've yet to find, and i'm looking forward to being involved in the forum. :cheering:

Currently, I'm working on a scarf (this time for me not my daughters!) in a lovely feather and fan design. I'll share pictures when I'm done.

Thank you knittinghelp. com and all of its members! :muah:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Welcome Larissa, Esther, Wanda, and pmknit. Esther, check the How-To Forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6) to get help for yarn-overs; if the answer isn't already there, we have lots of helpful people who can answer your question!!

Again, welcome, and happy xxx
Hildie.

misha rf
01-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi!

I started knitting just over a year ago. A friend of mine taught me some of the basics (although I learned how to cast off from this site!), and then I moved. So I stuck to the safe thing--scarves. Lots and lots of them. One for each member of my family (and my husband's family) for Christmas! And a few blankies/afghans. I'm taking my first class so I can understand a little more (the videos here are incredibly helpful, but sometimes I need someone to actually look at what I'm doing so they can tell me where I went wrong). I'm working on my first baby sweater, and have gotten help on this forum with it. :muah: I've also got a shawl (another first), a baby blanket and a pet blanket in the works! I'm wanting to start felting as well.

My yarn stash is slowly growing. But not nearly as much as my book stash (I've got about 70 waiting to be read). If only I could knit and read at the same time!!

Kitty
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi all! I'm new to this site as of last night. I've been knitting baby blankets and scarves exclusively for about 3 years on and off. I started with dish clothes which was great because it gave me a chance to get comfortable with stitches and terms. I started my first sweater last weekend and last night was having huge problems finishing the back (shoulders and binding off and all that dontcha know) and I posted and within 15 minutes I had a clear answer and a finished back!!

My mom and sister both knit but they are far far away so this site I am sure will be a godsend to me as I begin to branch out.

At any rate, good to be here!

Kitty

Kitty
01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi all! I'm new to this site as of last night. I've been knitting baby blankets and scarves exclusively for about 3 years on and off. I started with dish clothes which was great because it gave me a chance to get comfortable with stitches and terms. I started my first sweater last weekend and last night was having huge problems finishing the back (shoulders and binding off and all that dontcha know) and I posted and within 15 minutes I had a clear answer and a finished back!!

My mom and sister both knit but they are far far away so this site I am sure will be a godsend to me as I begin to branch out.

At any rate, good to be here!

Kitty

Old Knitter
01-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Hello and welcome Kitty....it's nice to meet someone new.

I know you'll meet a lot of fun and knowledgable fokls to chat with here, I certainly have.

Sweetie
01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Just introducing myself though I have been registered for a week or so. You folks are great and have been tremendous help already. I'm from, what is today, a very cold Saskatchewan. So, even though we do have a 2 - 3 month swimming season in the summer, mostly we're willing to do anything to keep warm and knitting just seems to fit the bill. The energy and creativity here is great. I am having a great time. Thanks.

Tina

Amalia
01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Hello everyone!

I am 20 years old and i live in Greece!

My grandma showed me how to knit, 10 years ago. But I knitted a Barbie blanket and then i stopped.

It's a strange story how i re-discovered knitting: My boyfriend asked me to knit him a three-meter-length scarf for Christmas. (!)
Ofcourse he was joking but I took it very seriously!

I was very lucky that I stumbled on KH, and refreshed my knowledge.
And yay, my first not-so-little project is done!

Now I'm looking for new knitting ideas!

Martha Gun
01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Hello

I'm new the forum, I live in York, England.

I've found this site invaluable, the videos have answered a lot of questions the books didn't!!

Just started to knit about 2 months ago. Almost finished my first jumper (sweater in the US?)

Typically haven't done things by halves. I picked a vintage pattern from the US, so had to convert the needles size and yarn to UK equivalents. That said thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Ready to block my pieces then sew them up!

Paula

madametj
01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Welcome new members!:waving:

Don't forget to stop by often, and don't be shy! we don't :biting: bite.

bobi1218
01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi, I'm new here :)
I'm Robyn, and I just taught myself to knit a few months ago. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

chillawilla
01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi there everyone.

My name is Michelle and I found this forum while looking for some casting on instructions (which I found, thanks!). I have been spinning/knitting since my late teens.

While reading the forums I noticed how many others are working on the same projects as in my to-do basket. It's nice to see others on the same page. :D

libertygirl
01-31-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Libertad (liberty) but you can all call me Lib. I'm from Baja, Mexico and I got a knitting set as a christmas present, it comes with a dvd but I couldn't understand the intructions but I found the link to this site on yahoo answers. It is great I learned very fast the cast on. I'm trying to do a scarf as my first knitting project. Wish me luck!! :cheering:

heykaren
02-02-2007, 10:27 AM
My name is Karen and I live in Spain. My first love is quilting, but I have been wanting to learn to knit for forever, and a friend here taught me last spring. I am hooked! My husband just laughed and said "what, no more quilting???"

I skipped over scarves and went straight into sweaters. I have finished one for my son, have one for me on hold till my new circular needles come in, and have another one going for either me or my other son. Will post some pix as soon as my digi cam is fixed!

Have enjoyed my time here so far and will be back often to pick your brains! Karen

Kari
02-03-2007, 01:57 PM
My name is Kari and I just started really learning to knit last weekend. During the week before I learned how to cast-on two different ways, but couldn't figure out how to knit until my mother-in-law showed me. I'm 33, married, and have a 2 1/2 year old son.

When I was in high school I tried to learn to crochet, but the only thing I ever managed was endless crochet chains. They came in handy for crafts, but not much more. I never tried knitting, because I thought it must be MUCH harder than crochet (two needles, twice as hard? ;) ). For me that has not been the case. I am so pleased to actually be creating something on my needles and I am so thrilled with the videos and forums on KnittingHelp.com!

Newfygirl
02-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm a relative newbie but have been visiting the site for a while and have found the videos and the advice from all of you so very helpful in my efforts to learn how to knit.

I have recently taken early retirement and promised myself that I would learn to knit now that I have spare time. Who knew I would get addicted
so quickly?!!!

Thanks for all of your help.

ChrisJohnston
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Hey, Y'all!

I'm a devoted Browncoat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browncoat) who decided to try knitting for the express purpose of making myself a cunning Jayne Hat (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jayne+hat&btnG=Google+Search)!

Amy's video's are a gift from the stars!

Aliquis
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Hello!

I found this site while looking for some help about a week ago when I decided to take up this wonderful craft called knitting! I'm a definite newbie to all of this but have found that I am quickly becoming addicted.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Welcome newbies!!!!! We're v ery friendly and helpful here, so if you have a question, be sure to use our search feature--chancs are, someone else had the same question!

miles
02-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone,
I introduced myself in another thread, sorry..lol my name is Miles, I'm 41 and I'm from SE Ohio. I've got a loving partner I've been with for 8.5 yrs, two grown sons who are both US Marines and I'm also a Stage 3 breast cancer survivor-its been almost 5 yrs since being declared cancer free! I love to knit, I'm not very good at it, but I love it enough to continue trying. I LOVE this site and the videos..one of them taught me how to increase when I'd read over and over in a book how to, but couldnt quite grasp it. I'm more of a "show-me" knitter. Hope to make some good knitting buddies in here and would love to find one close to me so we can sit and knit together..
ok..thats it! :)

DQ
02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Hello! :mrgreen:

I'm Jen from the UK and I've been using the main site to teach myself to knit for a couple of months now. Feeling a little more confident about things now so I thought I'd come and say hi because you all seem so friendly here!

mrsdnbdey
02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello All,
I'm really loving this website. Right now I can't even remember how I found it. :cheering:

GinnyG
02-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi! I'm new to the site. I am just getting back into knitting after being away from it for many years. My children are grown and gone and some day soon I hope to have some GRANDCHILDREN on the way. So I decided to get the knitting needles out, dust them off and have at it.

I am an RN and an volunteer EMT, I spend alot of time at the Fire Station waiting for calls, a PERFECT opportunity to knit. I'm discovering however that what was pretty easy 25 years ago is coming a little harder now.

Just recently I picked up my very first Elizabeth Zimmerman book (Knitting Workshop) and am going to try to knit my way from cover to cover :X: In the last couple months I've made a poncho for my daughter, an afghan for my son sweaters for the pups and a couple hat scarf sets as gifts. SOOOOOO it is nowt time to become more adventurous and try a sweater.

I have FALLEN IN LOVE :heart: with Schaefer yarn after meeting the Schaefers (they live in my town) and hearing about their yarn. I recently aquired a sweater quantity of Schaefer yarn but am SCARED TO DEATH TO START.

This looks like a great site and I hope to learn alot!

San
02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi

I am new to this site. Actually I just started learning Knitting. I love to do it. And at present i have completed 2 scarfs, 1 quilt, and now i started learning hat.

I am a volunteer in nearby community center and there I learn kintting.

But still I cudnt understand the meaning of the terms related to knitting and crocheting like cast on and others. I was going thro' one of the knitting and crocheting books and i feel it as greek and latin, dont understand any!!! :-)

Hope all my doubts will get cleared by interacting with you all.

Eagerly waiting to learn more!!!!!!!!!!!!

- San

katwmn1
02-10-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm teaching myself to knit. I live in the Middle of Nowhere, WA. There's a small shop nearby, but when you only knit at night or on the weekends (in your jammies), having a site like this is HEAVEN! I appreciate the willingness to help and the sense of fun that permeates this site....thanks. I'm starting to think maybe I can knit something besides a hat....seriously!

sizz
02-10-2007, 09:09 AM
hello this is my first post as you can see,i don't really know what i am doing yet but i suppose it is easy :happydance:

DragonsChest
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm glad to see other new members, too -- this site and forum have been so friendly and helpful. :hug:

Kiss
02-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Hi~ ^.^ I'm new here, I lurked for awile and decided to register! I'm a self taught knitter and I think I have been knitting for a few years. I love to knit for my dolls (Asian ball jointed dolls) Ah, yeah I'm Anna, age 17 ^.^

cajunmama
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi, I'm new to the site, too. I've lurked a bit and learned a lot. This looks like a great place. :cheering:

I've been knitting for several years now, and I'm ready for a challenge, so look out, I'm going over to another thread to ask some questions! :??

Jakers
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I have thanked my lucky stars each day for the past four weeks for this site. I have learned a lot.
I knit before, years ago, but I am now off and running. I have completed the obligatory scarves (!) and I am now half way thru an afghan, half way thru the back pannel of a sweater and making traditional phentex slippers (in which I received help from member KnittingQueen).
I have begun to organize a group here in Toronto with like minded individuals, from novice to advanced. So far, we have not met, but I have recieved a great response. Anyone else out there in TO, please PM me if you'd like to get together!
Thanks again!

jackieb
02-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi, I'm Jackie and I'm in a fix. Can anyone tell me how to or direct me to a "how-to" site that will show me how to attach a single crochet to a knitted item. I'm making my granddaughter a pair of knitted kitty slippers and the inside of the ears are knitted then the instructions say: "With crochet hook add the body color and work sc across outer edge of ear. " I'm not sure how this is done. Can anyone help me?

ginan_purl
02-11-2007, 04:40 PM
THANK YOU for your site, I decided to try my 'hand' at knitting, the books w/drawings couldn't give me all the steps clearly, I rambled on to your website and kept rerunning the videos till I 'got-it' !!
I commute by bus to work and have started several of the ladies knitting as well - and I recommend your sight and have purchased your cd's - would be great if they were on DVD's so I could watch on my TV.
I have alot to learn, but made several fun-fur scarves, have to learn to make dimensional items such as hats, gloves, socks and sweaters and techniques such as intarsia etc.
I would love to have a local ladies knitting group in the Lockport NY area as well !
Thank you again and keep up the good work! :happydance:

IrishKnitter
02-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Welcome everyone!!! I've just been on here (and just been knitting) since this summer.

You'll find LOTS of helpful videos...and LOTS of helpful people!

Glad you've joined us!!

sizz
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
hi everyone
i was going to make a patchwork jumper,but it will be summer soon,so i have decided to make a patchwork shoulder bag instead, i have just done one square so i should be done soon,if i can work out how to put a photo in here i will
xxx :balloons: xxx

Debra Michelle
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have also been lurking on here for quite awhile before deciding to sign up. I have been knitting for about a year and the videos on this site are great. I look forward to meeting everyone. -Deb

sizz
02-14-2007, 06:11 AM
hi there angel,did you fix the button

Brrlracinbt
02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I am new here! I am an obsessed young knitter that doesn't stop once I start something! I am expecting my first child in a month and a half and am constantly knitting something new for him!

ajrknit4me
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I just stumbled onto this site this morning. I was trying to figure out what a "thumb" cast on was, so I googled it and found you! I have been knitting for about 2 years, but I still consider myself a beginner. I have quite a collection of dishclothes!! That's been my main project. I have recently expanded my repatoire to include hats. I finally figured out how to use circular needles and double pointed. :cheering: I've just started trying patterns with more than knit and purl!! It's been fun. I've also made a lot of scarfs. Everyone has at least one made by mom!

Markette
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi, all, new knitter here. Friday a week ago I decided to take up knitting, so I went to the BIG Joann (we have some good LYS in my area, but I figured best to start small and inexpensive) and picked up some yellow Lily Sugar & Cream and a size 7 circular needle, reported to the sofa, cranked up Amy's videos on the laptop, and taught myself to knit. I've got almost two skeins of yarn into my basketweave baby afghan, which I calculate is about 1/2 way done (seeing as I bought 4 skeins...).

Of course, k4 p4 got a little bland after a bit, so I ordered the Fiber Trends clog pattern and knit up a pair for myself and some my husband. I picked up the Boye Needlemasters because I couldn't find the right size needles for the clogs, only to come back to the forum and see that the Options are better. Must order Options, then, and return Needlemaster. Except Options doesn't have the right size for the clogs, so really I should just keep both sets. I also have this compulsion where I can't just buy one thing, so I got yarn and a pattern for a sweater with the Options order. And that's just the beginning. I think I'm addicted. I stay up late knitting, skipping meals if my husband doesn't whine enough for food, and get up early to knit before work. At work, I read this forum and look at patterns and yarn.

However, as my husband so cleverly put it, my hobby is hobbies, so who knows how long this will last before I move on to something else. I think with all the different techniques to learn and yarns to try, however, (at some point I get to graduate to the good stuff) this will keep me busy for quite a while. It's just so darn satisfying to see the yarn turn into something real. Plus, I can do it while watching TV if it's easy, or it keeps me busy while he's studying if I need to count stitches and pay attention. And if I stick with it for at least a month, I'll allow myself a nice knitting bag. If not, I'm going to have a lot of yarn hanging around...

Completed:
Fiber Trends felted clogs x2 (still drying)
Knitty Center Square Hat from clog leftovers

On the Needles:
Marsan Watchcap
Basketweave Baby Afghan

Coming Soon:
Fiber Trends felted bunny (for a baby gift, b/c who knows when I'll finish the afghan)
Knit Picks Phoebe Pullover in Andean Silk (Leaf)
Wicked sweater in KP Swish Superwash (Dark Navy) (because I'm obviously ready for sweaters with cables :roflhard: )
Girl from Auntie Celtic Cap
scarves (with cables!) and more caps from leftovers

In other words, be forewarned: I will have many questions!
PS, I tend to get a little wordy (and use a lot of parentheticals). Sorry about that.

cjsbmoore
02-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey there!! I've been using the videos for quite a while (I can't just look at pictures and figure stuff out, I need to see it being done), but this is my first post. I do have a question hopefully someone can answer.... I recently bought my first pair of circular needles and I need to know how to straighten them out. Each time I try to knit with them my project curls up. Can anyone help???!??!!

ZELDAdog
02-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi! Just found the site and think it's gonna be a great resource! I taught myself to knit about 6 years ago--had not knitted in several years though until last week! I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and have been on bedrest for almost 3 weeks--I had exhausted other efforts to keep me busy so I broke out the knitting needles and yarn! I was working on a very simple v-neck sweater--and ran out of yarn halfway thru the 2nd sleeve! Of course the yarn I used is discontinued and I can't find any anywhere! I am not discouraged yet--just gotta find some compatable yarn and I'll put a stripe in the sleeves! No one will ever know! LOL!

I am a SAHM to two boys--ages 4 and 2--with another boy on the way! My due date was April 17th, but the docs say I won't go that long! So I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new little one!

I've been married to my DH, Mark, for 9.5 years--he puts up with all my "hobbies"! And funds them too! LOL!

Nikita-amimono
02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi, everyone!

My name is Niki and I am a Japanese woman who lives in Italy.

I finally have learned to knit last Nov. and since then I finished a scarf with garter stitch.
Now I am working on a lapgahn and it is almost done!

I'm looking forward to visit often and get to know you all.

Ciao,

Niki

dustinac
02-16-2007, 03:42 PM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum everyone!! :happydance:

kimbernan
02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey Knit sisters
I m new to this world. I am trying to learn to cast on , any tips?

Lisa_H-Town
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Y'all,
This is the most amazing thing -- I am so grateful to have found this website and all the wonderful folks that help each other! I have been visiting for a couple of weeks (hours on end) and am encouraged by the kindness and support of everyone. I feel like I know y'all.

I got a "Teach yourself to Knit" kit from my mom for Christmas (requested gift). I used to crochet back in my younger days. This site has been a blessing in the learning process!!

I LOVE the going to the store and buying stuff, and I am having a better understanding of why my husband has to buy lures EVERY time he goes fishing... it's so fun to go touch all the yarns (I am a very texture oriented person) and look at the patterns.... I am going to have to learn about finding a pattern I like, and a yarn I like, and making them work together... starting tonight! I found a pattern I liked, but the yarn wasn't available... so found some that felt good, and will see what adjustments I need to make. I am used to starting several times........... (And y'all don't even want to know what I thought "Frog" stood for!)

I have tons of questions, but am going to go slow, so I can absorb as I learn. I have to get comfortable with the fact that I don't have to know everything at once....

Shannon4J
02-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Hello!

I found this while browsing through the KnittingHelp.com site! Haven't looked around yet, so off I go!!! :happydance:

Currently I'm making a pair of wristwarmers for my dd. Should finish tonight!! xxx

eyota41
02-17-2007, 06:32 PM
amy, thank you for your great website, i have been trying to figure things out myself and having a flustering time. I found your site, and busy trying to get knit2 and purl 2 :grrr: and now i can reconize
the stitiches and take one off at a time and even unravel. and even put them back on , not always neat. again, Pease take a bow now. :cheering:
eyota41

HFKA
02-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Hello, another newbie here! My name is Christine and my passion is french knitting. I've set up my own business selling items i make as well as teachers' patterns and general guides to french knitting. I can't wait to look through the forum in more detail, hopefully we i can share ideas with you all as well as learning from you.

cmello
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Not being acquainted with all the ins and outs of forums, I posted this wrong the first time (used new instead of reply).

Hi, my name is Carol and I just discovered this site last week and joined last friday. This is my first post.

I have only been knitting for one year. I have learned from books. It's great to find a site with free videos. I intend to order the CD.

I am left handed but knit right handed using the English method. I was told at a knitting convention in Santa Clara last year that the Continental method is faster. I just can't seem to get the hang of it...I have tried probably more than a dozen times. I can't even successful knit one stitch using it. :??

Should I keep trying or is there something about having to use the right hand needle to catch up stitches that makes it more difficult for southpaws?

Carol

jeanius80
02-19-2007, 02:11 PM
:heart: :notworthy: hi! i am new.. but ambitious! thank you amy, your site and its contents are invaluable!!! :muah: :muah: :muah:

cmello
02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow! I am so impressed.

I guess I really am a Slowski!

Carol :X:

mare-nitt
02-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Just wanted to say HI!
I am a beginner Knitter, and loving it. But have lots of questions.
Thanks for the site.
Marilynn

DragonsChest
02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
This is a great place to have those questions answered. So far, every question I've had has been answered here in the forum, or by Amy's video demos. Every question.

Welcome! :hug:

Jane Banks
02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi all.
I'm so glad I heard about this site - my knitting teacher at the local yarn store told me about it.
After watching the video of the seed stitch, I finally did it correctly! I had tried numerous times, and still don't know what I was doing wrong before, but the explanation of knitting the purls and purling the knits, and identifying the purls with their nooses and the knits with their scarves FINALLY got through to me, and I knitted a successful seed stitch swatch!
So, Thanks!
This looks like a fun forum - I look forward to participating! I'm expecting a baby in less than 3 weeks, so if I don't get to post often in the next few months, you'll know why!
I'm a beginning knitter, and I've planned enough easy projects to get me through until the end of summer or so. I'm sure I'll have to get on here for help!

ReneeKnits
02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey everyone! I am new here - have been reading through the posts for a while now and thought it was about time I jumped in. I know KellyK very well - hi Kelly! and that means Howie also.

Like everyone else here I am an obsessed knitter with a stash the size of...well, let's just say I'll be okay if sheep go on strike :teehee:

Happy knitting to all

amishgirl281
02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey guys :) I'm new to the site and to knitting in general. I started back around september when my best friend suggested that it would be a good way to stop snacking but until January, all I was doing was simple knit scarfs. Now I'm trying to learn some new stuff and I just finished my first hat. Didn't turn out to well though, but at least I finished it. Me and my roomate really are in love with knitting now and this website has been a huge help.

Anyway, just wanted to pop by, say Hi, and introduce myself.

madametj
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey guys :) I'm new to the site and to knitting in general. I started back around september when my best friend suggested that it would be a good way to stop snacking but until January, all I was doing was simple knit scarfs. Now I'm trying to learn some new stuff and I just finished my first hat. Didn't turn out to well though, but at least I finished it. Me and my roomate really are in love with knitting now and this website has been a huge help.

amishgirl281- just curious, i might sound stupid, but are u really amish? what do u think of weird al's song "amish paradise"? funny or offensive? well he really is...weird :shifty: so i wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

oh, and isn't it against the amish religion to use modern things like computers? :??

PHeath
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I've heard about this site fairly often but I'm always hesitant to join forums. And now I'm hung up on a project SO I am coming to all of you for advice. I'm a military spouse getting ready to move and have lots of time on my hand at the time being during the transition. No kids yet, but we're tryin' I'm moving somewhere semi-cold (Ohio) so I need to get some nice looking scarfs made before I venture out.

I haven't been knitting too long, but I feel like I am just now starting to get good at this stuff.

NEway, nice to meet all of ya'll.

Patti

ReneeKnits
02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Hey Patti, I'm new here myself but have been knitting for a while. I too was hesitant to join a group but I have a good friend who just raves about knittinghelp so I finally took a look and liked what I saw.

Anyway, I'm not a military wife but have moved enough times to be one...my husband was a consultant for a long time and we traveled with him until the kids were too numerous and too old to keep boxing up their lives.

That is one of the reasons I began knitting many years ago - to fill my free time with something portable that I would enjoy.

And I remember all too well what it was like to stare at those knitting patterns and feel like my eyes would cross. If I can help just ask away... and welcome to the site - there are some great folks here!

Renee

hob
02-22-2007, 06:43 PM
hello! im stacey,aka hob(after the writer robin hobb if your intriested) im 21 and have just finaly after pritty much all my life of wanting to i can knit ..ok not well and only purl and knit still thats better then nothing. i juat wanted to say hi and this websites so helpfull! and the knitters on this forum i posted a question and it was anssered in minnets even tho it was a stuipd question, they were realy nice. thank you knitters(sorry i forgot there forum name) hopefully one day i'll get all good and will beable to knit all manner of things like my nan could ... she once knitted me a scotish man im not sure why but he had knitted bagpieps and everything. ok i said my hi.

fuzzylock
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I am very grateful for the How To videos. I'm over 30 and I've been trying to find a hobby other than reading, something I can do with my hands. My husband has a hobby and I was jealous because he spends a lot of time doing what he loved, which is a good thing. So first, I tried to crochet. I bought a book and everything. Then, I bought a sewing machine and started making clothes. Then I wanted to knit. I had no idea how to. I just remember seeing elderly womaen moving some long needles around, up and down. However, when I decided to knit, I realized how easy it was (thanks to the videos) and how it crossed all age lines. I have enjoyed myself so much. I've made a purse and I'm in the process of making a scarf with the novelty yarn.
The purse was really a scarf until it started taking a strange turn. I'd mistakenly increased (how, I don't know) and my scarf looked awkward, so I decided to turn it into a purse. Go figure. It was fun.
My daughter and I are both learning together. Tips and help would be appreciated.

fuzzylocks

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Hi all!!! :waving: Glad to see you!! (Hi Renee, you know me too!!!)

Feel free to PM any of the Mod Squad if you have specific questions about where to find things on the site, how to navigate the forums, or the text effects.

You can post questions about knitting in the HOW TO forum (click here) (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6), and don't forget to use our FABULOUS search feature located at the top of every page.... chances are, if you have a question, 10 other people had the same question too, and the answer is just waiting for you to find it :thumbsup:

We strive to make this a knitting family, not just a forum. Check out the Blog Threads (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=5) for a glimpse into our members' lives... sometimes TMI :teehee: but always full of friendship and support. Looking for friends in your area??? Knitters Knear You (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=11) will help you hook up with fellow yarnaholics.

We have several Knit-a-Longs (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) going all the time... there is a "challenge" every month for KHers, but you can join or start a knit-a-long anytime :) Don't forget to post your process and FO (finished object) in the Watcha Knittin (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) forum!

Got Yarn? Need more? (yes, you do) If you have something to trade or sell, or are looking for notions, good deals on needles, or books, check out the Buy Sell Swap (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) forum.

Finally, if you're into spinning your own yarn---or if you WANT to be (we are great enablers here!)---check out the Spinning Forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=10).

Welcome! Have fun, make friends, and KNIT! :) xxx

ReneeKnits
02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi Hilde! Sorry I didn't mention that I knew you also :oops: oops! And most of all thanks for the welcome - this is a great site full of very nice people - it truly is an online family :heart: !

I've been keeping up with yall's progress by reading the Wicked knit along - can't wait to see them in real life! And eventually I will make one but I have joined in on the Beauty Cotton knit along right now.

Thanks again for the welcome - this is a great place to connect with wonderful knitters.

Could you please explain the Mod Squad - I'm not the most computer savvy gal... this is the first forum I've ever joined and my 12 year old had to help me find an avatat (I didn't even know what that was before a few days ago) :oops: :oops: :oops:

Happy knitting to everyone!

Renee

ReneeKnits
02-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Hilde,

Please, please, please don't boot me off this site! After posting the last reply I jumped in the shower and the light bulb went off - Mod squade being moderators...DUH :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Yes, I can be that dense sometimes...well, okay, most of the time :teehee: :teehee:

Please forgive and happy Friday knitting!

Renee

amishgirl281
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM

amishgirl281- just curious, i might sound stupid, but are u really amish? what do u think of weird al's song "amish paradise"? funny or offensive? well he really is...weird :shifty: so i wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

oh, and isn't it against the amish religion to use modern things like computers? :??

Hey :) Actualy I'm not really amish, it's just a nickname with a long and slightly boring story behind it. But yeah, you are right, it is against the amish religion to use computers which is why I could never be amish. Computer = love. But I do actually think the weird al song is quite funny. I listened to it non stop when I was a bit younger.

REVS
02-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi everybody,

I don't remember how I stumbled across Amy's knitting tutorials and videos, but I LOVE them. Thank you so very much for providing them and making them accessible to everyone. It's been a great help! For my first lace scarf I learned all the different decreases by watching here. And it turned out great!
:D

Well, now I finally found the Forum and I'm addicted! This seems like a wonderful place, thanks for Amy and the Mod Squad for setting this up and for everyone else who contributes to make this feel cozy.
:hug:

Thank you!
-- Ruth

momoftwogirls
02-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi, I am new to knitting-actually have not started yet. I am finishing a quilt for my youngest daughter so once that is finished, me and my older daughter want to learn to knit. I am sure I will have lots of questions :??

Bushy
02-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi! I'm Bushy and I :heart: to knit. My biggest problem is with knitting socks! I always seem to have a seam line between each of the double pointed needles, what can I do to remedy this? Thanks for your help.

Robyn S.
02-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Robyn. I live in Albuquerque, N.M., and I'm a sewer who just got into knitting. I'm 33 years old and a copy editor by trade. I'm trying to be patient, but I was just reading a post by someone who misspelled every other word and abbreviated the rest. OK, I got that out and I'm moving on to caring about knitting instead!

Shannon4J
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Robyn. I live in Albuquerque, N.M., and I'm a sewer who just got into knitting. I'm 33 years old and a copy editor by trade. I'm trying to be patient, but I was just reading a post by someone who misspelled every other word and abbreviated the rest. OK, I got that out and I'm moving on to caring about knitting instead!

Welcome Robyn!
I had to laugh at your comment on the misspelled words! LOL Mozilla Firefox's newest version has spell check built in now so the little mistakes are underlined in red. No more excuses for misspellings! hee hee

Leeseebat
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
hey everyone

i'm 23 and have been crocheting for a while but just started knitting, i must say i love this site! its been really helpful.

:cheering:

i'll hopefully be posting pictures soon of something i finished!

madametj
02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome new KHers! :waving: Glad to have you :heart:

Braden
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Welcome, everybody. You're gonna love it here, tons of funny and helpful people.

lestrella
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome Larissa, Esther, Wanda, and pmknit. Esther, check the How-To Forum (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6) to get help for yarn-overs; if the answer isn't already there, we have lots of helpful people who can answer your question!!

Again, welcome, and happy xxx
Hildie.

Hildie, thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier but is the first time I see the message.

I love reading your blog and I laugh a lot with some of the comments. I wanted to join your Feb Kal, but I just had to many other things at the time. I would love to join a kal later on. Do you have anything plan for March or April?

:hug:

lestrella
02-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Welcome new members!! :cheering:

I'm still new, but I feel like I've been here forever. I've met so many nice people and I'm really addicted to this site.

You are going to love this place!! We are like a big family here.

:hug: :muah: :hug:

Mirabell
02-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi - my name is Stacie and while I've been a crafter for over 20 years, I'm just now venturing into knitting. I decided to try my hand at knitting because my only sister is pregnant with her first child. And I would love nothing more than to have my new niece/nephew swaddled in a soft basketweave baby blanket made with love (and a few dropped stitches :oops: ) by his/her very proud Auntie.

inuyasha
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
how do u decr on end of rw 4 sleeve

inuyasha
02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi I've been knitting for years and still learnibg. i am 48y/o. i enjoy knitting very much, more so than crotcheting. :heart: :notworthy: need help with sleeve now, trying to decr on left side but keep getting space betw decr an last stitch help

sparrowsmountain
02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH help :verysad: . I am an aussie living in America, {and loving it} :happydance: , I have been here for 7 years and have been knitting with the patterns and wool I bought over with me. Now, however I am looking for new patterns to go with the remainder of my DK wool. I have been knitting for over 30 years {and boy am I tired} but feel that I am having to learn everything again. I have 3 needle containers of needles, and books up the ying yang, I have a needle converter which I can use to determine the US size to the English size but I cannot for the life of me figure out what ply wool goes with what, the books are not telling me, and when I went to Michaels to buy wool the bands around the wool doesn't tell me what ply it is. :wall:
For example, I have a baby layette book stating Sacque bonnet & booties sport weight yarn 3 & 1/2 ounces, knitting needles 4 [3.50] 5 {3.75} & 6 [4.00 mm]. OK I can do my conversion from English to US but what ply wool are we talking about? I am so confused, which admittedly doesn't take much, LOL, but how do I determine what is on the wrapper band that will give me an idea of ply? Am I making any sense? :?? if not can someone set me straight PLEASE. :muah: Les.

nonib
02-28-2007, 03:07 AM
am i in the right area for help with a pattern. i just registered and am confused about the posting process

Plo0t
02-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Hellooooo!

My name is Kelli and I'm 23 years old. I can't say that I'm new to knitting. I did learn how to do it a few years go, but I didn't keep up with it. I decided to try it out again yesterday. It's been lots of fun re-learning everything! I'm hoping to stick with it this time. I can't wait to get all into the forum and the entire website! Everything is so well-done here!

I look forward to talking with you all! :D :waving:

Bushy
02-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey

It's Bushy again, obviously I knit better than I compute.....How do I get the answers to my question? HELP

Bushy

hunterjenn
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey

It's Bushy again, obviously I knit better than I compute.....How do I get the answers to my question? HELP

Bushy

Try posting it here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

SnS
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
It told me to introduce myself so I thought I would!

My name is Liz...I live in St. Catharines, Ontario and am 23-years-old...my mom taught me to knit about a month and a half ago and since I'm home for unforeseen circumstances, knitting has become part of my daily life...

I look forward to getting advice on knitting projects...I just started a HUGE afghan to knit, I think it'll take me months to complete but the pattern is very easy...hopefully someone in my family has a baby coming soon so I can give this blanket to him/her!

:heart:

Braden
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Welcome to KnittingHelp! You are gonna love it here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask one of the real helpful forum members.

Ali
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi, I have just registered. This site is fantastic. I have always crocheted, but was only ever able to knit, couldn't purl until a few years ago when I tried again. So I am a relatively new knitter and often get stuck on instructions.
At the moment I am knitting a top with a sideways ribbed band and was frustrated at my lack of speed. So I have been looking at the continental knitting videos. I was quite confused at first it seems I am a 'natural' combined knitter. Until I looked at the combined video I couldn't work out why my stitches were backwards when I came to a knit row. I cannot for the life of me purl the continental way,(as shown in the video, I thought I was). Combined however, is a piece of cake.
I would like to keep practising this method as I am a -very- slow english knitter. Only I am worried that I won't be able to understand increases decreases. I don't understand why you can't just knit 2 together through the back loops whenever it says to dec, and just follow directions as normal?
Alison.
PS Thanks for a great site!!!!!

AnaK
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Hello,
This is great site for knitters.
I have been knitting for a long time off and on, also crocheting. I used to sew but right now there is not much room for me to do it.
I have phobia of classes in yarn shops for some reason and this site is just what I need.
English is my second language so my spelling is less than perfect. :oops:
Also I am married, have 2 kids, dog and a bird.
Curently I am working on a sweater for my husband. I am not using any pattern just making it up as I go. I am geting a bit tired of it but cant stop or I will never come back to it. I just finished crocheting a bag that I need to sew lining for.
Thank you for sharing all your knowledge and ideas. I am sure I will visit often for more information on my future projects.

deejayvu
03-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Amy - thank you so much for this website ... I saw you on tv today and just loved your instruction so I was thrilled when I heard you mention your website with all these videos! It made my day to find your website! :happydance: I am so excited and it seems to be such a friendly helpful community here! I am a beginner knitter and it's fast becoming my passion :heart: ... and about time - I was wondering if I'd ever find a "passion" for something! ha! I thank you in advance for all the help and guidance I know I will receive here! What a wonderful resource! Now...if I can just keep my husband off this computer so I can spend more time here :teehee: Thanks so much!

Oh - I was so excited and wanted to thank you - I forgot to introduce myself to everybody! :oops: My nickname is DJ - I live in Southern CA but hope to be moving back to Hawaii as soon as possible...I'm originally from Texas. (And, yes, there are parts of Hawaii cold enough to warrant knitted things - ha!) I am going to be 54 soon and loving my 50's - graying hair and all! I'm sort of retired ... sometimes taking time out and helping my husband with his business. So I have lots of time to knit ... and it's fast becoming quality time with my dog and cat as they like to curl up beside me as I knit. However, I did see a post where someone was knitting while on the treadmill ... hmmmmmm... I'll have to give it a whirl ... anything to keep on knittin' ... and make that treadmill more "useable" - ha!

I love this site already and cannot wait to get started learning with your videos!

katenev_BNL
03-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I just wanted to intro myself to the entire community - I've already posted in the Boston area knitters thread. :)

I'm Kate, I live in Natick, MA .... Married for almost 6 years, I have a pug and a 21mo son, and I'm a stay at home mom, and I also work p/t at the local Curves !

I learned how to knit while I was Umass Amherst, and in Sept 06, I picked it up again and have been getting into it, big time!

I've made lots of scarves, a headband, a hat, 2 baby hats, and 2 pairs of baby booties... so far.

My current project is the Booga Bag , using Noro Kureyon #159. It's my first venture into circulars and felting !

Anyway - that's it. Just wanted to say hi! THANK YOU for this site. The videos are great and have really been a HUGE help to me. I've recommended it to my friends that have picked up the needles as well. It really seems like a friendly group!
-Kate

RiverDaughter
03-03-2007, 06:22 PM
*looks around shyly*

I knit a lot in the evening to help put myself to sleep, otherwise I would be up past 4 am with insomnia on a regular basis. I'm decent at socks and carves, but have never really gotten into any cmplicated knitting.

I really want to knit myself a sweater, but I have three left thumbs and a horsradish for a hand, so I have no clue on how that would turn out! :roflhard:

But yeah, yay knitting!

jenneke
03-04-2007, 05:52 AM
*put's head around the corner and says 'hi'*

I was just looking for instructions and found this wonderfull site. Great, helpfull video's! So, I decided to sign up for the forum too.

I'm a Dutch knitter and love to knit socks, currently working on pair nr. 8 of 2007. So, I'm going to check out the rest of the forum now and hope to see you soon!

Casii
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey, my name is Casii and I live in Maryland. One of my New Year resolutions (mine are of the fun variety rather than the deprive variety) was to learn how to knit, so I took a class at a LYS where I made my first little scarf. I've since knit a few other smallish projects and I'm liking this knitting thing!

This site and the videos have been a lifesaver when I've been stuck in the middle of the night trying to figure something out!

bellium
03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
hi there, i am new to this forum, and new to knitting as well!

i am 30 years old, live in orange county, new york, with my husband, our two dogs and three cats. i am a veterinary technician, and am one of the few people i know who love what they do for a living. we recently moved to this area, and now that i have a big yard, i am hoping to get some goats in the spring...

i learned to knit and promptly forgot how several times over the past 10 years, and this year i decided to stick with it and actually make SOMETHING, figuring a finished project would go a long way towards holding my interest. that was a month and a half ago - i went out and bought 'stitch -n- bitch' and taught myself from that and a lot of help from knittinghelp.com. since then, i have gone from scarves to hats to wristwarmers to toilet paper cozies, and will soon be starting a sweater when i get my yarn in the mail - i fell in love with knitting!

when not knitting, i like to garden, cook, bake, and i have an unhealthy love for cheesy old musicals...i am sure to have lots of questions on my projects in future weeks and months, and i am glad to have found such a supportive group!

Poodlebart
03-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Hello, I am new to knitting. I have been watching the wonderful basics videos on this website and have finally learned how to stop knitting (bind-off) Ha! Ha! My kids kept asking me when and what I was making. I first wanted to make a scarf and the it got bigger and I thought it might be a runner/small tablecloth. Well, now it is so big I think it would cover a car. Thanks to tonight's video, I can now stop what I was working on and hopefully make something everyone would know what it was. I am glad to have people to ask questions to also. Happy Knitting or in my case Happy Binding-off!!

Nicole from Huntsville, AL

Krautie
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh my god, I hope I make not too much mistakes now :??

Yes, you may laugh about my funny English (I'm sure it is *g*) and my mistakes :lol:
I've learned English at school but before more than 25 years. If I read it I can understand it pretty good - but if I have to write it I have many problems to find the right words in the right order and combination :wall:

Since some months I mostly use ideas and stitch patterns from english sites. You have so much more choice there than we have on german sites!

I live in the south of Germany, I am 39 years old and I love this forum very much!

It's very interesting for me to read and see (the videos are excellent!) how and what you knit in the USA.

Many, many years ago my grandmother teached my to knit. And she knitted not "continental", no she knitted the english way and so do I :-)

I don't know why she knitted the english way....she has never been outside Europe :shrug:

What do I knit? Many pairs of socks for my beloved husband :heart: , sweaters for me, fingerless mittens (gloves???) for us, lace shawl for me, some things for my grandniece.....the "normal" stuff, I think :teehee:

The sweaters for me I knit from top down in raglan-form. I like this very much because there is no sewing required (I really hate it!) and because I can all the time try if the sweater fits me. There is a very convenient german site for raglans! You only have to enter how many centimeters are 20 stitches of your choosed yarn, the width of the raglanline and the width of your neckline and the raglan-calculator tells you, how many stitches you have to cast on; how many for the sleeves, how many for the back and for the front....I like to use this site very much. And the sweaters fits always!

The socks I knit from cuff down and for the heel I use a method called horseshoe-heel.....do you know this heel? I've tried many heels, but these fits my husband best.

I hope that the community has (have???) no problems with not-native-speakers. I like to join you and I will do my best that you can understand me :lol:

I send many regards from Germany to all knitters out there,
Krautie :-)

Abbily
03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi fellow knitters! I'm new to posting here, but have read on and off for a few weeks now. I'm a novice knitter, a quilter, a reader, a wife, and most importantly a mother to two wonderful daughters who are 5 and nearly 3 years old. Looking forward to making some new friends and learning more!

Swedishgirl312
03-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks to my sister, I am now up and running on this site. She loves posting, and so it is nice to join in!

I am a self taught left handed knitter. Who ever says that a lefty can learn to knit just like everyone else, right handed, just is crazy. I probably have some untraditional methods, but what ever gets that final result! I like doing it my way.

I love finding free patterns online and then making them my own my minor changes to the pattern or with different yarns. I went through a felting phase until I got a front loader. Now I am looking for some great baby patterns and toddler patterns!

Nicole from Indy

madametj
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Welcome! :waving: u'll love it here ;)

Green Eyed Knitter
03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Everyone! I found this site when someone on my scrapbooking message board recommended it, and I registered right away! Although my mother knitted all the time while I was growing up, I never had any interest until last year when I taught myself from a book. It didn't go too well and I gave up after a few frustrating attempts to make scarves. This year I picked it up again after finding online videos to watch and I'm loving it. I'm finally ready to try something besides a scarf. :happydance:

As a quilter and scrapbooker, I can already see the dangerous lure of all the beautiful fibers out there. I can't wait until my knitting skills improve so I can use some of the gorgeous yarn I'm beginning to stash! :teehee:

Gail

sarahlilly
03-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Hello everyone,
It is good to be here. I've been knitting for about a year now. I heard about this site on another knitting group and I am very impressed by the videos and other information. Has really helped out my knitting. I look forward to getting to know everyone and share in your experiences. It's good to know there is help here.

mellie
03-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm melanie. I've been a member of the forum for a long time but I just decided to come out of lurkdom. I've been knitting since 8/05 and I am a self taught knitter. Along with Amy's videos of course.

Glad to be here

cedargirl
03-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Good evening yarn divas (and yarn kings if there be any about here),
my sister was trying to help me with a pattern and we came across this site. I am a new knitter but quickly getting hooked! I have only made 4 scarves and am currently working on a prayer shawl. My sister is my knitting pusher and I am happily addicted! I hope to explore this new hobby and make my loved ones and myself some really cool stuff. outside of knitting, I like to take photos, scrapbook, stamp, papercrafts in general, bake, and write. So, hi, see you around!
tania

Ginger0104
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this site for months and finally decided to bite the bullet and just register so I can begin responding and asking questions. I've been knitting for almost a year, and just recently became a stay at home mom again to 2 little boys, so I have more time on my hands than when I was going to school full-time. I've been spending more time learning new techniques. I have a horrible time finishing projects, but I've made myself a goal to finish at least one for every 3 I start :teehee: I'm currently working on a poncho for one of my many nieces. My goal is to handknit every child in the family something for this Christmas, to help cut down on the cost of gifts a bit. I will have 8 little ones, not including my own, to knit for. I've already finished a baby blanket for the newest addition, a baby due sometime in June/July.

Anyway, enough rambling on about that. I'm 27 years old, a mom of 2 boys - 2 and 5 - and we live in California. I am totally loving this site - everyone is so awesome and talented! I am in awe and hope to learn a thing or two by continuing to stick around this place.

zip
03-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this site for months and finally decided to bite the bullet and just register so I can begin responding and asking questions..

Welcome! :waving: I'm Ginger in California, too.

yarnbee
03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
:waving: Hello, everyone! I'm new, though I've been lurking for months, and decided it was time to join you.

Am revisiting knitting after a long "break" in favor of crocheting, but find that it's less versatile (hope I don't start an argument here) and uses more yarn. In relearning knitting, I now realize that most of my previous frustration (dropping stiches!) was due to using aluminum needles. :frog:

I'm so thankful for this site and forum--have learned a lot from the videos and from your posts. It's encouraging to know that for every yarn mess I make, there's probably someone else who's been there & done that, too, and can help me fix it. This site and my LYS have inspired me to challenge myself so that I've completed my first DPN project and am now working on my first pair of socks.

I do have a couple questions and will post them later in that part of the forum.

Have a good knitting weekend--even though we'll have 1 less hour to knit due to the daylight savings change. :noway:

Braden
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forum! :cheering: There are so many nice, helpful people here! :happydance:

(and no, you won't start an argument. lots of us crochet :thumbsup:)

yarnbee
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks--hey, I'm a conti knitter, too! Started out as a yarn thrower when my mom taught me the basics as a child and switched to continental as an adult when I saw a co-worker doing it.

lprajogo
03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi,
I learned knitting continental style from this site. Before that, I must admit that I hate knitting. My tension is uneven, and I don't know how to purl

Only recently, I stumbled across somebody blog in the internet talking about knitting, that open this new wonderfull world full of people that love to knit plus all the nice knitting design. This make me want to polish my knitting skills. Then I found this wonderful site.

I am very excited to be able to be part of it. I even tried to create my own blog. Please visit if you have time to spare and leave a comment or two.

Thanks,
Lily

zebstriped
03-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Two months ago I would have laughed if you told me I'd be shopping for yarns 2+ times per week. Knitting is my new addiction, and this website has been instrumental in giving me confidence to branch out beyond scarves.

While not knitting, I spend my time playing with my two Boston Terriers, hiking, letterboxing, reading and playing xbox.

Thank you for letting me be part of your community!
Lisa :-)

Janet
03-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi to all. Well, I have been an avid crocheter for more years than I can count. But, wanted to try knitting. I have made things using the one-needle knitting, (afghan style), but, haven't really tried the real thing. At least, not until I found this site and bought a book. I have started to make a sweater for my grandaughter, but, don't know what kind of problems I will have. Wanted to make kids socks, but, don't think I am ready for that kind of thing yet. Maybe later. Be ready to help me when I have a problem with this sweater. ok? Nice to be able to chat with others having the same interest.

stellamean
03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Looking for a book, or a video with detailed instruction how to insert sleeves and finish off sweater from Dale of Norway :??

ellemeno
03-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm new to knitting and new to this site! Working on a baby blanket for a long time friend right now. I will try to post pics. Thanks so much to everyone, I've been reading and lurking for a few days.
Amy, your videos are wonderful, thanks so much!

-ellemeno

Johanna
03-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure how to do this, but I wanted to learn-so here goes. I just watched the video on turning a heel for socks. I am in the process of making my first pair and this video answered my questions. Thanks to you, I am confident I can do this. This is a great site--I'm so grateful for the video (and most remarkably--it is free!). Thanks so much to you knitters who are generous with your expertise! I'm so glad I found you. It's snowing like crazy outside and I got all the help I need without having to go out again. My local knit store told me about www.cometosilver.com. Thank you, thank you. :muah:

Wrennn
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
This site is great! :cheering: Will be here often!

Braden
03-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Welcome, everybody!

lestrella
03-17-2007, 03:38 PM
:waving: Welcome!

ConnieC
03-19-2007, 02:44 PM
:teehee: Hi everyone.I do alittle knitting,dishrags,newborn knitted caps.I really haven't had the guts to try anything else.I would like to give mittens a try.I quilt,thats how i found your knitting group.I'm Connie and live north of Westcliffe, Colorado.ConnieC

roseybee
03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I've been knitting about a month now, taught by this website. My MIL taught me the throw method knit stitch, and then I got big gaps between my k's and p's, so did a search and found this site. Now I knit continental. I've made three basketweave potholders (for practice) two hats, two pairs of slippers, and am working on a baby sweater (sleaves and hood yet to finish). I absolutely love this site but haven't formally introduced myself. :muah:

I have two sons ages 6 and 5 and two daughters ages 3 and 2. I run a family daycare in my home and when the kids have their free play I knit. I'm ADDICTED! I've been crocheting for years but have developed a medical condition that is aggravated by crocheting (among other things) I didn't like watching TV and doing nothing, so thought I'd give knitting a try. Doesn't affect my arm/shoulder/back problem at all :happydance:

I'll post some pictures soon!

lili
03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Hello everyone,
i just began knitiing this year as my new year's resolution and i'm now addicted!
I'm Irish, living and teaching in Dublin and currently recovering from St. Patrick's weekend (like everyone else!)
Really enjoy reading all your messages and think it's great that there's such a close-knit (no pun intended but boom boom anyway!!) community here online!
I taught myself to knit from the videos on knittinghelp (amy finlay = knitting goddess :notworthy: ) and now i collect the art of knitting which is a weekly magazine.
i fall in love with beautiful yarns (sirdar curly wurly & blur) but find them impossible to knit with which is heart (and wallet) breaking :??
Any hints, tips, comments, hellos for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!!
sile
:muah:

Stiney
03-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Bride of Chucky
03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Hello! I just taught myself how to knit a few months ago! I'm totally addicted, but don't have much time to work on things, so I've only completed 2 projects, a scarf and a hat.

I came to this site looking for info for some of my questions, and lo and behold, I found y'all! I love messageboards, and I'm a member of several others.

I'll probably just hang out and read a while, but I look forward to getting to know everybody!

dink
03-20-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't know why I didn't introduce myself first. :oops: I guess I was just too eager to express my love for this site!

Anyways, my name is Melissa, I've been knitting since March 8th when my boyfriend, for my birthday gave me a bag of yarn, needles, and a book on knitting. He told me he signed me up for lessons because he heard enough of me saying how I wanted to knit, but wasn't actually doing it :yadda: (I have a blanket from my adopted grandmother which I have and that's always inspired me to knit)

I'm 2 lessons in, and my scarf will be done in a day or so. (First lesson didn't go well---wrong yarn, we'll just leave it at that :!!!: )

I really just want to learn all that I can, and I'd love in time to make a hat, different scarves, a bag, and maybe venture out into bigger projects like a sweater or even a blanket.

I can't wait to hear all & learn the different "purls of wisdom" (as my adopted grandma called her knitting group) each of you have! :hug: :muah:

-Melissa

kbabykim2005
03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
:shrug: Hi, Im new and am just learning how to knit!!! I have knitted grandmother's favorite dishclothes before and am just trying to learn how to do it again!!! I really dont know all of the meanings of the pattern as of (K) and other signs, so if someone could help me get started I would really apreciate it! thanks Kim

dink
03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
:shrug: Hi, Im new and am just learning how to knit!!! I have knitted grandmother's favorite dishclothes before and am just trying to learn how to do it again!!! I really dont know all of the meanings of the pattern as of (K) and other signs, so if someone could help me get started I would really apreciate it! thanks Kim

I am not sure how to read/understand patterns yet either, so you're not alone! Although, I was given this link when I first started knitting (about 2 weeks ago, before I found this site) http://www.learntoknit.com/abbreviations.php3. I haven't completely studied it, but I did read it over and it made some stuff a little clearer!

But don't worry, there are plenty of people who are more than willing to help out here as I've found. Just don't be afraid to ask! :hug:

kjk
03-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I just joined the forum and look forward to visiting with everyone.
My favorite knitting shop (Knitty Gritty in Richland, Wa) is the greatest. I am working on my third pair of socks - two socks on two circulars- that Vicki at Knitty Gritty taught me.

Karen

Alison
03-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Hello :)

I'm a 20-something living in Dallas..

I'm a fresh out of the box, brand new knitter! I have mastered casting on so far! :cheering:

Looking forward to getting to know everyone :)

kjohn
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi, Ive enjoyed the help from the members here. I started knitting again after several years and found this site extremely good! Its where I found help for the socks. I have made my own dbl pointed needles from one of the videos shown. They are as small as sz 2. Pretty simple and they have turned out well. Knitting the yarn over these tiny dowels makes the dowels even more polished and smooth. I didnt think dowels got this small, and I am making a sz 7 also...to much fun! Happy Knitting...

Andrea
03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
:waving: Welcome everyone!!!

Lots of new people!!! :blooby:

knitpickers
03-24-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm knitting again after a 20 year haitus for quilting and then old house restoration. Loving fondling fibers once again.

OTN: Long Ribbed Cables Afghan from Jeanne Stauffer's book and had to re-learn "trust the pattern" until I got to Row 41 which had a REAL error. Had to rip out three long rows after repeating the "trust the pattern" mantra until it was obvious that I should have stopped repeating the mantra two rows ago. So contacted the publisher with MY correction:) Haven't hear back from them yet.

FO: Scarf for DH.

NEXT: Berroco knitting bag with Berroco suede.

I love this forum!!!

TheolaThina
03-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I thought I should introduce myself, my name is Phoebe. I was taught to knit by my grandmother years ago but she past away before I learned very much. I am hoping to immerse myself into knitting completely.

I find myself browsing knitting sites all the time! But I hardly know anything and I'm sure I'll be lurking around the forum for any information I can pick up.

I hope to see you all around!

Braden
03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Welcome, Everybody!

melissa_worcester
03-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi, I'm melissa from massachusetts. just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm an "advanced beginner" knitter - back from a 3 year hiatus. This site is great!

Mommy22alyns
03-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I kind of snuck in here, didn't I? :oops:

Okay, I started an IRL knitting class in January and found this site to help me out between classes. My mom could do almost any craft except knitting and that's why I wanted to learn!

I'm 28 (for a little longer anyway), live outside of Nashville, TN, am married and a SAHM to my two little sweeties that you can see in my avatar. :heart:

So I'm glad to be here! I've already learned so much and I can't wait to learn more! I will definitely need you guys over the summer unless someone else takes it on for that semester. :pout:

knitwitty1
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi fellow knitters! Just joined up & am planning on enjoying this site! Have been knitting for 25 years & have just started making my own patterns, a bit of a struggle, that :wall: ! Would love to hear from you all any old time. Haven't been on when there's anyone in chat, is there a best time. I'm in B.C. Canada PDT. Happy stitching

DQ
03-28-2007, 07:04 AM
An addition to my hello...

I forgot to say what DQ stands for! It's NOT Dairy Queen (I get asked that on another forum) :teehee: It stands for DramaQueen :teehee:

coffeegirl
03-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm a 34yr old SAHM and have one daughter, 5.

I haven't knitted in a long time, since I was about 10. I used to spend vacations at my grandmothers house and she was a knitter. I would always be knitting something with her, some little project like a scarf. She always did the casting on, knit the first few rows and cast off and fix all my mistakes (way to go Nan!!!) . Unfortunately Nan died a few years ago so I'm on my own and have had to learn the cast on and off myself (and did quite well I was impressed!) I am just really missing her at the times of mistakes. Yikes, they are harder to work out but I have a family friend who is a great knitter who I can call on for help :happydance: She is away at the moment so I'll be on the phone to her when she gets home from her vacation.

Anyway I am really looking forward to knitting up some things and as we are coming into Winter here (Australia) it seems the perfect Winter hobby. I have been looking for a new hobby too and I think this one has found me, having always been into scrapbooking/papercrafts I've found I've been frustrated with them and haven't really been doing much the past year. I like that knitting you can pick it up and take it anywhere and sit in front of the television at night and do it. Can't really do that with papercrafting.

GennyLynn1962
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
:waving: to everyone.

Welcome abord, you're gonna love it here!

jinty
04-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Hello

I have just registered today. I live on the west coast of scotland with husband, three cats and a rescue greyhound.

My family, two sons and a daughter have all grown up and left home but live near by and will still wear anything I knit :teehee: (usually)

I look forward to taking part in the KAL's and love looking at all your finished objects. I have been knitting for many years but I always learn something new on the forums.

jinty

projects in the past few months

"bad penny" knitty .com
"dashalong" fingerless mitts
"bob" knitty.com
first attempt at socks
hats
scarves
dishcloths (I love them)
baby jacket

Sand Lapper
04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I joined the group today. I am a retired Child/Adult Protective Services Supervisor. I live in the Piedmont area of SC with my hubby (who is traveling most of the time) and my spoiled minature dauchshund. I have three children and four "grands". I have not been knitting for all that long and I have taught myself. I have just started doing socks and find it to be very addictive. Thanks Amy for your CD I use it all the time.

I am excited about finding others out there who enjoy knitting and may be able to answer my "dumb" questions I often have.

I also enjoy sewing - reading (John Sandford & John Grisham) garading (flower beds) and spending time with the 4 "grands".[/img]

Braden
04-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Welcome, Everybody!

knitpickers
04-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks, ContiKnitter. My options should be here by Wednesday :happydance: Can't wait to try them out.

Brandilyne
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Shame on me! I posted in another thread before saying hello and thanks for providing such a great forum! I promise, I didn't mean to be rude, it's just my annoying over-enthusiastic personality (think Labrador Retriever puppy in person form) that drives me to talk before I think :)

Thanks for all the fantastic advice and information!

I started knitting well, let's see....exactly 2 months ago today! I'm so addicted already, I swear it's a disease. A disease that I'm quite fond of though :)

I've made the requisite scarf, block for a charity afghan and two headbands. Ooh, I also finished my first sock a couple of weeks ago! Now I'm working on some cotton socks, a messenger bag, a crazy colored wrap and a silk scarf. I honestly don't know what I did before knitting took over my life, hee!

Braden
04-04-2007, 04:49 PM
It's fine, I had 5 posts before I introduced myself!

MommaG
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Ok so I am a mother of two wonderful kids a seven year old boy and a one and a half year old girl. I started out learning to crochet from my grandmother. I always grew up with knit things from my mother but she passed away when I was 12 so I never learned how to knit. I knew how toknit a row but that was it. So I finally said enough was enough and this winter found this wonderful sight and learned a few more things and I am now attempting my first knit sweater. I have knit several ponchos and things for my daughter(yeah I have a daughter to make this stuff for) I have even attempted chart knitting which is going not bad.(I am making a poncho with skulls on it for my fourteen year old niece(she says I am the best auntie ever)) I love all the videos to show how to do things I find them so much easier to follow rather than just written instructions. Be prepared for questions as I come up to things I have no ideaq what to do.

DragonsChest
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi MommaG! Welcome!

Braden
04-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Welcome, Everybody! You'll really like it here. Tons of nice people!

beanmom
04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi, everyone!

I just started knitting this year, and after just messing around with some stuff and not really finishing anything, I'm ready to actually knit real things! I've just started to make something for a dear friend's new baby.

A short bio: I'm a teacher, married 12 years and I have an eight-year-old daughter, who will probably be the next in line to receive a knitted something from me. I'd love to make myself something, but she's smaller!

I've had a great time poking around this site and the forums, and it's great to know where to come when I have questions!

Braden
04-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here!

lulu2
04-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Aw man, I KNOW I should not register here .... I already spend waaaay too much time on other knitting sites. Oh well, resistance is futile!! :shrug:

Little bit about moi - I am a South African living in the United Arab Emirates, my DH is on a 5 year contract. We have a 21yo daughter who lives with us. I addddooorrree knitting (and all other crafts too, she whispers!) but really battle to get any yarn or supplies here in the UAE. (Maybe that's because it is so hot here in the desert ... :hot: ) It's really causing me to have withdrawal symptoms, so I lurk around all the knitting sites, drooling :drool: over pics of other knitters' yarns and garments.

So, if you can stand a leering, ogling, peeping tomasina, I would like to say hi and look forward to getting to know you.

Sometimes I feel very isolated out here in the desert, so you are all welcome to pm or msn me - I would love to say hi! :waving:

That's it!
lotsa love
lulu

PS : Just knitted my very first pair of socks - not too shabby!
PPS : I really joined cause I love your emoticons!! :muah:

Braden
04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Welcome. This will probably become your favorite! You'll love it here. We have tons of friendly and helpful people.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
welcome! feel free to PM any of the mods if you have any questions. :waving:

katezin
04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I made the same mistake and started posting before introducing myself. Oops! I started knitting in Dec '06 and learned from some friends. We fell in love with a felted purse and I've been hooked ever since. My husband laughs and just shakes his head every time he sees me start another project. :muah:

I've made two felted purses, 3 scarves, and 2 pot holders. I found this website and fell in love with the clogs and just had to have them. Making the clogs - along with the help of this website - has taught me alot! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've always loved to do crafty things but really have gotten the knitting bug. Maybe another small project or two and I'll feel confident enough to try one of the beautiful sweaters that I've seen in these forums.

So glad that I found this website. And thanks for all of the help with the clogs!

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Welcome!

rach
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I am a really, really new knitter, I started last week. But the videos have been helping me alot. I'm in my twenties. I started crocheting about 6 months ago to give my hands something to do while watching TV and relaxing after work. Lately, I have developed the desire to knit as well, and so I started. Absolutely love both of them. I am excited about getting to know the rest of you.

Braden
04-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Welcome. We're always here if you need to ask a question!

Ru*
04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi !!!
My name is Romina , Im 23 and Im from Argentina.
Im studing Textile Design and one of the subject its related to knitting, so I was looking for information over the net when I found this wonderful website.
Great videos and teacher !!!
When I was a kid my grandma tried to teach me, it was really complicated as my grandma is a leftie. After that when I was 15, I tried knitting again, but It was really frustrated I completely mess up with the yarn.
Right know Im starting again, this videos are a lot of help, because they are really clear from the cast-on to the bind-off.
I started making some squares, but Im really enjoying this.

Amy thank u so much for this videos and your clear way of teaching.
Im going to recommend this website to my friends at university.

Thank u so much

Ru*

Braden
04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
:roflhard: Welcome to the Boards!

Fraggle
04-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi all! My name is Fraggle (Melissa) and I'm a lurker who has decided to come out of the woodwork so that I can participate in the conversations and such.

I've been knitting for three years which got me through nursing school and my first year as an RN. I work in a neonatal intensive care unit in beautiful Charleston, SC. I've been married for 3.9 years (4 in May) and have no children but am the oldest of six siblings.

I look forward to having you all get to know me better as I feel that I've been lurking for so long that I know you all already.

Thanks,
Fraggle

Braden
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome, Fraggle!

LeslieRR
04-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi all. I too have been lurking for a while. I enjoy reading these boards.

My name is Leslie. I hail from Ottawa, Canada. My husband and I have 3 children - a 12 year old, a 9 year old and a 3 month old.

I have been knitting for many many years. My father taught me when I was 6 years old ( my mom was working on a really complex sweater AND cooking dinner at the same time). I guess I was pestering her, so my father taught me with a ball of yarn and some carrot sticks.

Over the years, I have knit on and off. Right now is "on", but I'm finding it really hard to find the time with the baby!

thanks for listening!

Leslie

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2007, 11:01 AM
welcome to the boards! Feel free to PM any of the mods if you have questions!

kntsew24
04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Hello everyone!
My name is Merrie, and I am also coming forward after lurking for a while. I am a self taught knitter, and I also love to sew and do machine embroidery. I am married, with two teenaged girls, a cat and a dog. Needless to say I have lots of drama in my life so knitting and sewing keeps me centered.
This is the greatest site(great forum and nice people), and I want to Thank Amy for the wonderful videos. I have learned so much, and I finally learned to do the Kitchener stitch.

brookestab
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
My name is Traci and I live in SW Ohio. My goal for this year was to learn to knit...I thought I needed an ew hobby! :D I am an avid scrapbooker, gardener, cross stitch and needlepointer as well as love to walk, hike, and swim. I have 3 children-2 college aged and 1 teen, one DH and 3 furr babies.

knit3purl3
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi a friend of mine told me about this awsome website. I have always wanted to learn how to knit so here I am. I have no idea what to start on all I know is that I can do a few basic things but nothing fancy. Any ideas on what I should start on. Thanks :??

lexthegeek
04-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Let's see... I work from home in the computer industry. I've been doing it for close to two years now and in January I decided I needed more excuses to get out of the house so I didn't go quite so stir crazy. My gf brought home the continuing ed booklet from our local community college and I spent days flipping through it to see if something sparked my interest. I sort of joked about taking the knitting class they were offering and one day she came home from JoAnn's with a teach yourself to knit kit that had a section for left-handers (that's me - even though I've decided it was just easier to switch and knit right-handed).

Intrigued, I tried to give it a whirl and could barely get past the instructions for casting-on. My gf, ever so helpful, found this website. I can't really express how helpful the videos on this site have been!! Finally, all those crazy drawings made some sense and I find that I really enjoy knitting, even though all I've made so far are a couple of dishcloths and the little projects they gave us in the class that I did finally sign up for. The videos helped so much, that I was a little further along for my beginning knitting class. The advanced knitting class starts this coming Monday and I can't wait!

So, I guess this is an introduction and also a thanks for creating this site!
:notworthy:

KnittingNat
04-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm KnittingNat or simply Natalia. I live in Jerusalem, Israel with my husband, a dog and two cats. I've been knitting for about 20 years now (a hint - started at 6 :)), my grandma taught me back in Moscow, Russia, but i never got to serious projects. i have a few sleeveless tanks, a hideous mohair sweater, hats and scarves. Lately i managed to knit a real pair of socks (i'll post it later)and a Rowan Biggy print huge sweater! so now i'm looking for new directions, so i can boldly knit where everyone knitted before :X: ... big Thanks to Amy, only from her video i managed the Kitchener stitch :)

rainberry
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm Emily and I'm 15 years old. I started knitting last month. I just finished a pink Wisconsin dishcloth but I screwed up on it a little. Now I'm making an ipod case for my sister with rainbow-y yarn. I really like riding and drawing horses. I decided to learn how to knit after I read the Chicks with Sticks books. :)

Lisboeta
04-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi Amy, let me just express my gratitude for creating such an amazing site. Your videos are fantastic and they have helped me a lot throughout my lonely knitting sessions. I live in Geneva, Switzerland and my mother -the knitting expert- still lives in Portugal, so your site has helped me lot whenever I have a question or just need a new ideia.
Keep up the great work and vision. Bz, L

Lisboeta
04-17-2007, 05:26 AM
Hi Amy, let me just express my gratitude for creating such an amazing site. Your videos are fantastic and they have helped me a lot throughout my lonely knitting sessions. I live in Geneva, Switzerland and my mother -the knitting expert- still lives in Portugal, so your site has helped me lot whenever I have a question or just need a new ideia.
Keep up the great work and vision. Bz, L

amy
04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
:hug: Welcome new KH'ers!

Welcome Lisboeta, Emily, Knittingnat, k3p3, Traci, Merri and Lexthegeek! Merri, glad to hear you've come out of lurkdome. :D

Enjoy the forum!
:heart:

Sia
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Everyone, What a Great Site Im Glad I Found It :cheering:

So Hello, Im a Newbie and cant wait to learn how to Knit, previous trys have been terrible lol
I live in Scotland near Glasgow with my Husband and our 4 beautiful boys

So Hi From Scotland and looking forward to learning and talking to you all :muah:

MissFefe
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey guys. My name is Felisha
I am new to knitting. I actually haven't started yet.
I don't know anyone who knits and I don't know where to begin.
Any advice?

Thanks

Nobones
04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I just realized I've been here a while and I've never introduced myself. Sorry. Well my name is Ellie, I live in South Wales. I have a Hubby, Mike, and a demented cat, Buffy. That's my family.
I'm disabled, I have two rare illnesses that conflict with each other. I've had the misfortune to be ill from other serious things too, but I'm recovering.
I enjoy craft, it's what keeps me going. I taught myself to knit, I do a little crochet but my main hobby is dressmaking. I love it! I have a website here-

www.gothwardian.co.uk

-where you can see me, and a selection of all the things I've made. I taught myself to sew from scratch too. I've been quite poorly of late, I have CFS, so knitting is a brilliant way of being creative and sitting still not using too much energy. I also find it very relaxing, (when I'm not stuck on something!)

Anyway, that's a little bit about me. :waving:

Oh and I'm called Nobones by most people, kind of a nickname.

Squeekie
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I have been lurking for several days but just decided I had to register and start participating!

I started knitting classes about a year ago and quickly became addicted. I am a self-diagnosed multiple project addict. I guess I need to have one or two complicated projects and a few mindless ones for the times when you just "need" to knit. I work close enough to home that I am able to go home for my lunchhour. This translates to 10-15 minutes of eating and 45 minutes of knitting. It is amazing how much it reduces the stress and lets me relax.

I am learning so much from this site and am sure I will be posting questions of my own now that I have officially become a member.

Braden
04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Welcome! You're gonna love it here. Enjoy!

Cookie222
04-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, let's just say that I've been lurking for quite awhile now, and I've just finally decided to make my presence known here. lol. I've learnt everything I know about knitting from the videos and forum on this site. Thanks so much for creating a site like this. The videos and advice are incredible help to a newbie to knitting like me.
I started knitting in january. My first project was for a musical that I was performing in. My highschool did "Cats" and I knit my own legwarmers and armwarmers for my costume. Then I made the Brea bag (which I still have yet to line), a cabled purse for my best friend (which I also still have to line...), and now I am currently making a blanket for my brother, and working on the Anthropologie Inspired Capelet for myself.
I'm new to knitting, so my collection of needles and yarn is just slowly starting to grow. So far i've only used straight needles, but I want to learn to use circulars and DPN's but I just need the right pattern that I can commit to work on. The amount of different needles that are needed for knitting is just a little bit daunting to say the least, so I think for my birthday I'm going to ask for a needle set. Also, since I am just a highschool student with limited money buying good yarn is out of the question for now. lol. Oh well. I'm happy with my Bernat yarn from Zellars.
I hope that I can become very active on this forum and that people will come to know me over time. lol. I don't want to be the newbie that everyone makes fun of for a long time. I don't think that will happen though because everyone seems to be very inviting and I look forward to getting to know you all. :hug:

losnana
04-22-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't want to be the newbie that everyone makes fun of for a long time. I don't think that will happen though because everyone seems to be very inviting and I look forward to getting to know you all. :hug:

I've never "heard" anyone make fun of someone on this forum. There are no dumb questions- merly questions to which [/b]you don't yet know the answer. Everyone on this site is very willing to help, and you'll get wonderful suggestions. Welcome!

Braden
04-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Nobody makes fun of anybody on this forum, because we've all been new knitters, and had probably the exact same questions.

dawnk777
04-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi, my name is Dawn and I live in eastern WI. I dabble in knitting from time to time. I like making dishcloths and scarves because they are easy and I can actually finish them. My daughter, Rainberry(Emily), just picked up knitting, so we are both enthused now, and have been knitting like crazy. :sun:

I'm married, have 2 teenage daughters, and an Australian cattle dog named Jasmine.

losnana
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Welcome, welcome. I'm sure you'll grow to love this place as much as I do.

Jan in CA
04-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Welcome to KH everyone!

flea
04-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Greetings!

My name is Felicia, nickname Flea. I joined here several weeks ago and just made my first post a couple of days ago. :?? I live in Northern KY and am a student nurse (graduating in July, God willing). I have a wonderful husband and a truly adorable dog who is an Animal Shelter Special of somewhat unknown breed.

I've taught myself the basics of knitting from this website and others like it. This one is by far, the most comprehensive, easy to use, and helpful. Little brown-nosey, I know, but it's very true. I've found this place to be invaluable.

I continue to learn and will hopefully be attempting something more challenging than scarves and afghans soon. I just want to say thanks for the great info on the site and the friendly help provided here in the forum.

Braden
04-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Welcome, flea! Feel free to ask any questions! We're always here to help!

*Ginny*
04-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I am just learning how to knit and the videos here have really helped me. I can't wait to actually make something. :heart:

madametj
04-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Welcome to KH, Ginny :waving:

mel.b
04-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi,

My name is Mel. My nana taught me to knit when I was little but I was never able to a)complete a project and b) make it look like anything it was meant to :??

While I was at uni I decided to knit a scarf and basically taught myself from the internet. After about 5 years of knitting the occasional scarf for winter I have just completed my first project that requires more than just a straight line :roflhard: I actually leant how to decrease and made a beanie :cheering: I'm all inspired now and am almost finished my second beanie and also have wool ready to start my first simple lace pattern scarf.

I'll keep you posted in the FO forum about how I'm going!

Mel.b

dc_fiberaddict
04-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself. I'm Karida and I am from DC. I spend most of my time dying yarn and knitting. Any of you who are from the DC area might have met me when I worked for StitchDC. Right now I am working on building up my yarn dying business and working for a nonprofit. Looking forward to chatting with you all! - k

Silver Star
04-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Hello All!

A friend of mine gave me a knitted scarf as a present last October and I thought it was the neatest gift I ever received. I mentioned to my mom that learning to knit would be cool (no one in my family knits), and so last Christmas, I received my first set of 5mm needles, 4 balls of yarn and a knitting for dummies book. After much trials and tribulations which can be expected from a book taught knitter, I found this site and i have to say the videos were a HUGE help. I have now accomplished a few projects and I am hooked.

LOL that may have been a little detailed for an intro post, but when i start talking about knitting, no one really knows when I will stop :oops:

Anyway that's my knitting-birth-story for y'all :teehee:

S.

knitwit88
04-30-2007, 10:32 AM
My name is Cassidy and I'm from Houston, TX. I've been knitting for 1 month now. My LYS is Yarntopia in Katy. My FOs: 2 scarves, 1 collar for cat(now ripped to shreds), and numerous swatches. I have 3 cats and a snake. The only other person that knows how to knit in my family is my great grandma, who is nearing blindness and deafness. I love my LYS!!!!

Cassidy

GennyLynn1962
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Welcome to KH everyone!!! :cheering:

Flea - what part of NKY are you from?

Teeka
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you so much, Amy, and all the others who make this site possible! I have wanted to learn to knit or crochet for years. My great grandmother was an avid knitter and crocheter (sp???) and she taught my sisters and I to knit when we were very little. But once she died, we didn't knit anymore.(We were probably too young to really do it anyhow, but I remember making long, long crochet chains!) This winter and spring I have a six month leave from work, and came to live in Colombia with my husband and son to be with the in-laws for a while and so our son can know his grand parents. SO...my sisters-in-law taught me how to knit and I am addicted! I've made four scarves, and eight square samplers of various knit patterns. My idea was to make it into an afghan, but my husband sweetly told me that the colors didn't match so well!

I'm happy to have found this site. The continental cast-on is what my great grandmother taught us to do, but I had forgotten it. My sisters-in-law taught me a knit-on kind of cast on that is slow and difficult with some yarns. When I watched and tried the continental cast-on along wiht Amy's video, my memory of Grandma Elsie's knitting lessons came flooding back. Thank you so much.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here and to sharing what little I know with those who are interested.

Cheers!
Teeka

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
welcome! :waving:

Braden
05-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Welcome, Everybody!

sjyoungster
05-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Hello,
My name is Sheryl and my daughter, who just graduated from college :heart: , is teaching me to knit! I am looking forward to "jumping into the knitting scene" and look forward to the camaraderie of this forum.
Thank you, and Happy Knitting!

segundoloteian
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
That's my mom! Welcome! :muah:

Jan in CA
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Take some time to look around at the different forums to see how we are set up. There are forums for questions, sharing, knit-a-longs etc. At the top of the forum there are some tabs that have videos, patterns, glossary, etc. There are sticky posts that offer helpful information on various topics at the top of each forum as well.

Feel free to ask questions if you need help. There is also a handy search feature that can give you a wealth of information from users who may have asked the same question when they were learning.
Search the forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php)

In addition to the videos here in KH here's a few more helpful sites and links.

Lion Brand - Learn to knit (http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/)
Knitting at Noon Videos (http://www.knittingatknoon.com/demos.html)
Forum Abbreviations (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8523&start=0)

newknitter44102
05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello, everyone, I'm a very new knitter who is easily starting to be in love with knitting. I guess I'm pretty crafty because I've done cross-stitch for almost 10 years off and on (mostly off...lol) and I really wanted to crochet but I went to a local Stitch N Bitch group and everyone was knitting, plus it seemed that crochet was so hard. So, I'm learning the basic knit stitch.I really want to make some cute scarves and maybe even a blanket or two. I look forward to talking to everyone, new or expereinced. :muah:

City & Country
05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello all!

Just wanted to say "hey." Amy, this is a terrific site! I'm recommending it to other knitters and "students" of mine (I use quotes, because most of you are more advanced than I am).

I learned about this site from a helpful operator at "Knitpicks" who, when I didn't understand what SSK was (I thought I knew all the decrease techniques) pointed me to this site. A picture (or in this case, a video) tells a thousand words, and what I didn't understand verbally over the phone, I understood instantly after viewing the visual explanation here! Many, many thanks!!!

I look forward to many chats, posts, and sharings with you all!

City & Country
05-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Hello all!

Just wanted to say "hey." Amy, this is a terrific site! I'm recommending it to other knitters and "students" of mine (I use quotes, because most of you are more advanced than I am).

I learned about this site from a helpful operator at "Knitpicks" who, when I didn't understand what SSK was (I thought I knew all the decrease techniques) pointed me to this site. A picture (or in this case, a video) tells a thousand words, and what I didn't understand verbally over the phone, I understood instantly after viewing the visual explanation here! Many, many thanks!!!

I look forward to many chats, posts, and sharings with you all!

Braden
05-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Welcome! Great, another guy knitter. We should form a club.

pointy_teeth
05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi, newbie here. I've been knitting on and off for the past, eh, 2 or 3 years. I've been really obsessed with knitting lately. I'm an art major in school but lately, I can't stop thinking of knitting. I want to start all these cool free patterns I find online, I keep looking at and buying yarn from online stores. The past few days, I've been reading knitter's blogs and I keep seeing socks! So today, I went to my LYS and bought a ball of Austermann Step and a 12" circular to try my hand at it. I know I should be doing my school stuff, but, aaaahhhh! I just can't wait until summer's here and I can knit all day! I should probably find a job so I have yarn money! Hopefully, I can make my own pattern someday. Okay. That's it. I just wanted to put my two cents in. :oops:

Braden
05-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Just wanted to quickly welcome you to the boards. There is a great group of people here! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Search the Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php?/)

Kiwi in BC
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi there,
I've been a fan of this site for a while, but haven't posted anything before. I think the offical term for that is 'lurker', but that always makes me think of creeping around in bushes, Peeping-Tom style, so I won't use that term!
Anyway, I've been knitting on and off since I was little, always afraid to commit to anything big, and morbidly afraid of patterns. I have since learnt to overcome these fears, by jumping right in and knitting Pampas, from the Rowan autumn 06 magazine. It's knit in Big Wool, which cost me an arm and a leg, which was a good incentive to see it through. I had to knit it 3 times in total, as in, I got it all sewn up and tried it on, and it was about 5 sizes too big. So I frogged it, knit it again in a smaller size, seamed it, and it was about 3 sizes too big. At this point my slow brain finally realised that I shouldn't have ignored the bit about swatching! A lesson learned the hard way. So I knit it a third time, and it was a little bit too big still, so I got really angry with it, threw it in the washing machine, and it came out the perfect size! Not an approachI would recommend, but it worked anyway.

I have just finished my first Clapotis, for my Mum for Mothers Day, which came out great. I am also knitting a baby blanket of my own design for a baby due in September, and I'm contemplating starting Tubey (from Knitty.com) if I can get the yarn I have to approximate the correct guage.

So, that's me. I am from New Zealand, currently living in Vancouver, BC. I've been here about 3 months, and am hoping to find a nice friendly knitting group to join.

Braden
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Welcome to the boards! You'll love it here, lots of friendly people!

Search the forum:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php

Carrie218
05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I was just surfing around the 'net and found this site! How happy I am now... I've been knitting about three years and have been obsessed with cables. I'm now trying my first garment with lace (the Interweave Fall 2006, page 29 Gatsby Girl Pullover) and have had to pull the lace section out five times now!

I've done a few swatches of lace with no problem, but that is when I'm knitting an even square. The problem with me is that the lace section starts where the arm decreases are and I've been having a horrible problem in counting.

If anyone can direct me to some hints, I'd sure be appreciative!:muah:

pointy_teeth
05-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I probably should have mentioned a little more about myself. I'm female, 20, from California. I learned to crochet when I was a wee little kid but never really made anything. I sort of taught myself knitting with books and videos from the library, but I'm still a bit of a beginner. I use the English method (might be weird since I learned crochet first. You'd think I'd be continental.)

Anyway, I have a few knitting projects lined up this summer and if I ever encounter a problem, you guys will be the first people I'll ask. :cheering: Yay! I'm really excited now. I wish school was over... Thinking about finishing these projects makes me :drool:!

Purl
05-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello!

I've been a lurker here for a while, and finally decided to register and say hello!

I've been knitting for about a year now, and I'm totally addicted. I just received a set of KnitPicks Options, and am LOVING them! I'm about to start my first sweater on them... WICKED!! I found the pattern on here in the knit alongs, and fell in love with it!

I can't wait to get to know everyone here a little better. :cheering:

Braden
05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome, Purl! I think you'll find that the majority of us really like the Options. You'll love the boards, there are so many nice people.

BTW- if you need any help on your sweater, we're always here to help!

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi, i thought i'd introduce myself. I am Lindsay, im 25 years old, and i have been knitting for a year exactly! I learned to knit so i could do cloth diapering stuff for my son. Now, its grown into an addiction. I've done socks, and now i have my first sweater on the needles for my son! :)

Braden
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome, Lindsay! You'll love the forum!

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I love it already! :) i've found a local knitter!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey Lindsay, check out the Knitters Knear You forum... we have lots of NC Knitters!!

madametj
05-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Welcome, new members :waving:

puck
05-17-2007, 09:51 PM
New here. New to knitting. Started...10 days ago. My first project was coming along nicely, and then i moved, and now I can't find the other needle! Lucky for me I'd already purchased another set of needles and more yarn. But so far I like knitting, I think someday I might be pretty good at it, and I'm open to advice. Also, I despise scarves, and I constantly need new challenges, so at the moment I'm trying to devise simple patterns for myself based on what I can do and what I think I can do. Any suggestions for easy knitty things that are not scarves would be awesome.

Braden
05-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Welcome, Puck! You'll love it here, and if you need any questions, we'll always be here to help! Have a look around!

Hygiene Mama
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
I've been on this site for a few weeks now and just realized this was here. Anyways, I've been knitting for almost 2 years now. I've just recently branched out from knitting dishcloths. Two very good friends of mine teased me for the longest time to do so and I finally did. Anyways, I'm from Northern MN. I'll be 30 this September, married for 10 years, have 3 amazing kids and I'm a full time Dental Hygiene student. I've printed a lot of patterns off of here and after today (my last day of school for 3 months) I'll be sorting them out. Right now I'm knitting my new nephew a blanket (he's arriving in August). Well, I better stop now before I write a novel. can't wait to get to know a few ladies on here!

Braden
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here. Just wait until you meet all the friendly people around here! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

cheezelkat
05-20-2007, 09:24 AM
hi :waving:

I've been knitting for a little while. I taught myself a few years back (wrongly!), gave up when I couldn't purl and late last year figured it all out and have been knitting ever since. I knit longies and soakers for my son, and finished my first cardigan last month. I'm really into dyeing my own yarn.

Braden
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Welcome! You'll love it here, we are a very friendly and helpful community, and if you have any questions, I promise you someone will be here to help you.

Hope you like it here!

SEARCH THE FORUM (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php?/)

nadja la claire
05-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Welcome :waving:

:muah::hug:

Nadja xxx

pandaca
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Hello!
I've been posting in the KAL section, but I think I'll branch out and start being more sociable! I'm 25 years old (well, 26 next month!) and live in San Diego. I started knitting last November.

As of August, I'll be taking over a charity knitting group that meets locally once a month. The woman who runs it now is moving and I volunteered, even though most of the group is much more experienced knitters that I am!

mintdee
05-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I am thinking that you will enjoy our little group :hug:

Dlaney
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi, I'm new to this site but already I'm enjoying what I'm seeing. I've been knitting for about 6 years but still consider myself a novice. I prefer sweaters over scarves and afghans. I seem to pick challenging patterns then I'm always on the search for help. Hopefully, I've found the right place. Thanks for having this site available.

ELaine

mintdee
05-22-2007, 09:11 AM
You definatly have found the right place! Welcome to the group!:waving:

soomala
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I thank u very much, I'm looking forward in meeting everyone. I'm brand new knitter myself and somebody mention about knittinhelp site. Its indeed a great site with great participants and I know u'll will give me the help I need. thanx again

GennyLynn1962
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Welcome to everyone! :hug:

This is a great site, and don't be afraid to ask ANY questions. The people here are wonderful and always willing to help.