PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

amy
11-05-2004, 02:53 AM
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380), to decode our chit chat. ;)

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy

Krista Jo
11-05-2004, 12:54 PM
What a fantastic site. I can't believe I've never seen it before - it would have been a huge help when I was learning the basics. If you need any help, just ask!

Thanks for this great resource.

Krista Jo
A Canadian currently in South Korea

nancyg
11-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Just wanted to say what an AMAZING website.
I started knitting in the spring and I absolutely love it. But since I am a beginner I have alot of questions that can't always be answered by looking in a book. Thank you thank you thank you for the videos!!
nancyg :D

amy
11-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Krista Jo--I know why you haven't heard of this site before: it's because I just launched it this week! LOL :) Well, I had an old site, but it only had a handful of videos, like 10 or less.

Thanks for the nice comments Krista Jo and NancyG! They make my day!

viva
11-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks so much for creating this fabulous site! I just started to knit last week and followed you over from your old site. Your videos are an immense help!

viva :D

yarnlover
11-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm a long time knitter and find your videos great. I'm teaching a few friends to knit and this will be a helpful resource for them. Thanks for putting it together.

eye595
11-14-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't know what got into me today but driving home from a Georgia Tech football game, I decided it would be a great idea to take up knitting so that I can make scarves in the school color for all my friends. This is of course a fad and I should get over it in a week or two but so far I'm still on course. I went by Michaels and picked out my soft yellow and navy yarns, how to knit kit that came with a book, needles and bunch of things I didn't recognize and stood in the check out lane. I then saw Michaels' offers knitting classes for $15.00 which sounded like a better idea and off went the supplies. After I came home, I remembered I have a memory span of about 15 minutes which means I'll have to take a whole lot of the classes at $15 per session. I then ran a goggle search for 'how to knit video' and here I am! What an awsome site!! The videos are incredible for newbies like me. I have viewed every single video under Basic Techniques and feel like I might be able to tackle knitting after all. In fact, I'm heading out the door to the 24 hour Wal-Mart for my supplies so that I can get started. But before I buy out the store, I wanted to let you (Amy) know how appreciative I am for this website. Regardless of how long this fad may last for me, you have at least helped me make the first step. And who knows - I might just surprise and end up being a marathon runner.

Thanks so much (especially for the videos).

grannymary
11-14-2004, 03:18 AM
[Hi!
I found this site while over at the knitters review forum. And was vey impressed with your videos. I will be recommending this site to the ladies in our knitting group. Several of us from church get together and knit on Mondays and we are at all different levels of knitting and ages: from 10 yrs old to me (i'm 55) . Anyway congradulations on your new site. I'll be watching and participating with the joy of a shared craft/art.
Marycolor=darkblue][/color]

Sueparl
11-14-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm a novice knitter, and I'm thrilled to have found your site. Thank you so much for all the work you have and will be putting into it! :D

feministmama
11-15-2004, 01:41 PM
What a great site! I will back often with new updates. Thanks for doing this, its about time. :o

librarycat513
11-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I just want to say thank you thank you thank you for this website. I decided I needed to learn knitting last week, and the books I got weren't making any sense to me. I found your site, and the videos you made made what the books were saying finally make sense. I'm now working on a scarf and having a great time. :D

SoapDoc
12-13-2004, 04:08 AM
This forum is a place where you can...

As a total newbie, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!! This site is FANTASTIC and I can't wait to get my CD so that I can practice even when I don't have access to the DSL line :)

I hope you all don't get sick of me and my questions once I acutally get going, I am sure there will be MANY!! :roll: I am having a hard time with even casting on at this point!! :oops:

Thanks again, Amy!!

sheshanti
12-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Hello all. I'm a new knitter and new to the website. Its pretty awesome!! My question: Is there a way to count the rows? I'm following a pattern that calls for a certain amount of rows and I can't figure out how many I've already done. Please help me.

Thanks so much...Sheshanti.

amy
12-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Welcome Sheshanti!

Just count the "V's" if you're doing stockinette stitch or ribbing. Include the stitch on your needle, above the last V. For example, if you look on the Cast-On page, at the second picture from the top, which shows Double CO in ribbing, you can count 12 V's. The bottom V was done during the cast-on, because that cast-on creates an already knitted row, and then there were 11 more rows done after that (that are shown in the picture).

If you're working in garter stitch, you can count the "ridges." Every two rows creates one ridge. If you have six ridges on the front, and six on the back, you have done 12 rows. 6 on one side and 5 on the other side means you've worked 11 rows.

Happy Holidays and happy knitting!
Amy

lydiaach
12-28-2004, 02:18 PM
This website is wonderful. I am so excited to learn from it! Thanks for creating it, Amy.

Elizabeth Knits
01-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the wonderful website and Forum. Hi my friend called from the west coast all excited about the yarn and needles she just bought and needed help getting started on her project. Well, I live on the East Coast and my first thought was a knitting video and there you were!!!! Sent her to your site and within seconds she was casting on. I'll give her a call in a few minutes to see how she is doing. With you wonderful instruction she's probably half way done with the scarf!!!! Purchased the Cd and looking forward to the DVD. :lol:

Jeanne
01-06-2005, 10:10 AM
:D
Glad i found this site..I hope I can find the video for my problem..I am wanting to know how to KPK all in the same stitch...Thanks for a wonderful site...Jeanne

VictoiseC
01-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Dear Amy,

Happy New Year 200555555555555.

I just have to THANK YOU. LIfe is funny, you give something up for a long time then bam! it's back in your life like crazy.
I've just started knitting again after several years break and there are so many little things I was afraid to tackle.

Because of your incredible fabulous videos I am doing things that just confuse me in books. I actually just tried Continental knitting which I swore I never would, why change something after so many years and it was the way I learned how to knit. BUT. My right arm and wrist were developing a painful cramp that I think may be relieved if I do Continental once in a while at least.

I have just been attempting my first SOCK w/5 dpns. Ripped it out 3 times. I cannot believe how fast you can go... (in your turning the heel video) . What excitement! So cool, you explain things so patiently and so that I can grasp it!

I have a house in upstate NY (besides NYC) and visited the Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Fair last Oct. I am getting soooooo hooked. Amy, thank you thank you thank you for taking the time to put those videos up for free no less. You are a lovely & generous person. Victoria C.

Peg
01-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Amy, can you stand any more praise?! ;) You've created a fabulous site! Thank you!
I'm another novice knitter and have found your video instructions invaluable! In fact I keep the left-overs of a skein of yarn and needles at my computer to practice new things.

romonia
01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
What do I do after the first knit row!!! I am only 12 years old and I don't know what to do afetr that first knit row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

romonia
01-17-2005, 03:55 PM
This website is wonderful. I am so excited to learn from it! Thanks for creating it, Amy.I am a new knitter also!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!!!!!!

amy
01-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks, and welcome Elizabeth, Jeanne, Peg & Romania!

Jeanne, did you get your question answered? Check out the Moss Increase video, which shows knitting then purling into the same stitch. So, do that, but knit into it again before taking it off the left needle.

Romania, a few people have requested a video showing how to knit the first couple rows after the cast-on. I'll be including that in the next batch of videos. I'm not sure when they'll be up, but I'll let folks know in the "Site Updates Log" thread on this forum.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! Of course I love every word! :) :) :)

Amy

wsinton
01-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Amy, this is an incredible site: helpful, fun and already addictive (after my first 20 min.). I met you at the Fiber Arts Center group and will be referring all my students (I teach several groups) to your site. Found a couple of books I didn't know about too. Congratulations on a great idea. Wendy

brightspot
01-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Thank you so much for this site. I typed knitting help in the search, but I didn't really expect to find anything really helpful. I was taught to knit by a Swedish girl so I knit continental. My grandma just watches me and shakes her head. She won't even try to answer my questions. I can't watch your videos (I have dial up and can only get 1 word every 10 or 15 seconds), but as soon as I get the money I am definitely going to order the cd. This is a wonderfully helpful site. I don't know anyone else who knits and I live out in the boonies so I will enjoy reading everyone's posts.

brightspot
01-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh Romona, I was going to tell you. After you knit the first row you can just turn the needles around and knit the next row too. Before you know it you'll have a scarf or purse depending on how big you make it and how you sew it together.

amy
01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Welcome Wendy and Brightspot!

Wendy, you'll have to help me remember who you are. Were you the crochetter at last month's meeting? You're the first of my local friends to say hi on the forum! I'm so happy! :) :) :)

Amy

foldedbird
01-20-2005, 03:29 AM
Amy, many thanks for this fantastic website! I have tried many times over the years to crochet and was so discouraged by books. Then I started watching Knitty Gritty on DIY and thought about giving it a try. I looked at some other websites and really had a hard time.

I found your website and was casting and doing the first continental stitch in 20 minutes!!! This is just fantastic.

Your videos are excellent. I love how you repeat the stitches many, many times so it's easy to really get a grasp of what you're doing.

Excellent work!!! Keep it up!

Denise

Glitzy
01-24-2005, 01:37 AM
Thanks so much for putting this web site together. I got the "Art of Knitting" dvd for Christmas and it's not bad but how I wish it had the close-ups that your web site has. I do have some questions about some problems I'm having as a newbie but I wanted to let you know that your videos have been extremely helpful..

Random question about the videos though - what size needles and what kind of thread do you use in the vids that show knitting and purling (both English and Continental methods) ?

Thanks and happy Monday!

cynthia
01-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi ....I am new to knitting and have made quite a few scarves, but that is as far as I can go. I want to learn purl, decrease and increase next and really would like to make a shawl for my 21 year old daughter. Is that expecting too much being this new, only knowing the knit stitch?? Any advice for where I go from here would be appreciated. What a great site this is. I just found it.

Cynthia

beldaraan
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Cynthia~

Make swatches and practice the techniques that you want to learn. Then you won't have any fear while working on a new project. I did that a couple nights in a row and so far so good. If I get stuck on something new, then out comes the spare yarn and needles and I make a swatch to get it right. I'd say go for the shawl if that's what you want to make. Read the pattern, practice the unknown stitches, and start knitting it.

I'm somewhat of an impatient person, so I'm not really fond of knitting stuff just for practice if 1) I don't want it for myself or family and 2) I want to make something else that's really cool instead. Take the time and pleasure to knit the shawl and we'll all be here if you get stuck.

Be sure to post pics when you're finished too!!

cynthia
01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the response and that is definitely good advice about practicing on swatches first. I am much like you; impatient and wanting to work on "cool stuff" rather than funny little swatches, but I see the necessity and wisdom in doing so. Now, here's my next dilemma: I don't know how to read a pattern. See....I really learn better "hands-on" and while the videos are helpful, I feel more comfortable having a real life person show me first, then let me watch the video. I know that sounds ridiculous, but just call me a slow learner. However, once I catch on, I usually have it and have a good memory of how to do it again and again.

I will pursue finding a local class.

Cynthia

foldedbird
01-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the great idea on the swatches! Now a question from me. If you don't have a specific project in mind, does it matter what kind of yarn and size needle you use?

And if there IS a specific project in mind, should you use the same size needle and same/similar yarn that the project calls for?

Thanks in advance...

Denise

beldaraan
01-25-2005, 07:56 PM
LOL, before I lead anyone on, at this moment I am working on my third knitting project. I'm just a beginner myself. I have done a lot of reading and the most important part of knitting to get the right size (from a specific pattern) is all about GUAGE!!! So I would say "no" you do not specifically need the same weight of yarn and size of needles, but you do need the right guage. With the yarn fabric I would recommend a word of caution: Using cotton instead of a wool/nylon blend called for in the pattern, may not be a good substitution.

If you're not working from a specific project then I'm assuming you're working on your own design. That's unknown territory to me. I would guess that it would be easier to make your own designs after you have acquired some experience and extensive research into knitting though.

Hope this helps.

dereckg
01-26-2005, 12:42 AM
I just recently stumbled upon this site and am very thankful for it. I only started knitting last week. I made myself a hat, and am now making one for my mother, so...yeah...trying to read up as much as possible and the videos are, of course, a great help.

Anyhow, just thought I'd say hi and thanks; I'm sure I'll put this place to good use :)

Thanks again.-dg

foldedbird
01-26-2005, 04:14 AM
If you're not working from a specific project then I'm assuming you're working on your own design. That's unknown territory to me. I would guess that it would be easier to make your own designs after you have acquired some experience and extensive research into knitting though.

Hope this helps.

Hey, you're still ahead of me! LOL...by specific project I meant if you were either following a pattern or something like that.

On the side I'm *attempting* a shrug, but thought of also doing a few swatches to learn different stitches I don't know and practice my tension...and even maybe figure out why I have these loops sticking out of my shrug and how come the bottom isn't even...ah well. If nothing else, I guess I can turn it into a scarf!

amy
01-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Welcome Glitzy, Cynthia, and DereckG!

Glitzy, I use a size 8 needle and "worsted weight" yarn. It's not my favorite yarn, it's rather cheap, a kind of scratchy acrylic. I chose it because it wasn't too fuzzy, so you can see the stitches well, and what's going on, and I happen to have a lot of it that I got for free! LOL.

Cynthia, you may want to do a small project using increases and deccreases and purling, before doing anything too lacey. I don't know what kind of shawl pattern you're looking at, but if it's lacey (has a pattern of lots of holes in it, especially if they're spaced irregularly), then I would definitely try at least one small project that uses these stitches against a more solid, stockinette stitch background. For instance, there's a dish cloth that has a heart shape (pattern here (http://www.pagebypage.com/dishheart.php)), that would allow you to try out those stitches first, and practice them.

The reason I'm telling you to do something like this before lace-work, is because it's hard to recognize the stitches you've just done in lace-work, because of all the holes in the fabric. So, it's harder to learn with. Also, it's very easy to get completely lost when doing lacework, and if you mess up, it's really hard to unravel and find you're place. There is the "trick" of using a life-line (see video in basic techniques section), but still, I'd just say that for your first purling and decreasing project, you'd be better off learning the stitches on a project where you can at least see if you've messed up, and you can recognize the stitches and what they're supposed to look like. But after that...hey, knock yourself out! I never hold a beginner back from trying something they want to try; motivation goes a long way. Just know that if you do lacework on a large object, it may take a lot of patience, depending on how complex the pattern is, and how often you have to (heaven forbid) rip it out down to the life-line. And, definitely use a lifeline if it's lacework! :) ...Have fun!

Foldedbird, if you're just playing around and making a swatch for fun, you can use any size needle and yarn you want, although it helps if they're compatible (near the recommended needle size for the yarn). If you have a project in mind, it's a great idea to use the same needle and yarn you want to use for the project, because this way you'll know your gauge from doing the sample.

:)
Amy

kidchaser
01-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Hello Amy and all,

I'm new to knitting as I see so many of us are! I like to crochet, but I always wanted to know how to knit. I live in a small town and don't know anyone who knits, and originally bought a "Learn to Knit in a Day" type book, and didn't get too far. But after looking for Knitting Help on the net, I found your site, and now I am practicing lots of knit/purl swatches to get the hang of it before trying any projects! (I have 5 kids, hence the name kidchaser, so I'm excited about making lots of fun projects)! Anyway, I'm sure I'll be attacking you with a barrage of questions, so be prepared :lol: . I too, don't have the luxury of DSL, so I can't view the videos, as they take forever to load and even then, I only get bits and pieces of it. But as soon as I get the $, I will definitely be buying your CD.
I have searched alot of knitting sites, and yours is definitely the most informative and easy to understand!!! Thank you

amy
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Welcome KidChaser! Great name, LOL. :) We welcome the questions. Look forward to sharing your new adventure of knitting with you. :)

Amy

melissa
02-02-2005, 03:16 AM
Hello All!

Another green newbie here...

I simply want to thank Amy for her generosity in sharing her knowledge. The website is a fabulous and informative creation! I wanted to learn how to knit for years and had tried with books, but my attempts ended in utter frustration. Your website made the process of knitting finally make sense! I now am enjoying knitting a basic scarf...thanks to you.

justanotherknitter
02-02-2005, 08:56 PM
can someone please help me in telling me how to get the curling out of circular needles. am reall at a loss here. soaked them in warm water but it didn't last long.any help would be appreciated :?:

amy
02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Welcome Melissa! Great to have you on board!

JAK, I've only heard of the hot-water (even boiling water) method. You could try posting the Q in its own thread to get more feedback. Good luck!

Amy

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
can someone please help me in telling me how to get the curling out of circular needles. am reall at a loss here. soaked them in warm water but it didn't last long.any help would be appreciated :?:

yay! I know the answer to this one! try boiling water , give them a good tug to straighten, and then instead of balling them up in your knitting bag, either make or buy a hanging circ needle holder. That will keep them straight and un-kinky while you're not using them. There's a pattern in Stitch and Bitch for a holder, and [http://www.knitpicks.com/lobby.asp?WCI=Item_Display&itemid=80028]here's a link[/http://www.knitpicks.com/lobby.asp?WCI=Item_Display&itemid=80028] if you just want to buy one... or just check it out and make your own. I didn't follow a pattern when I made mine, and it was still easy, you just need minimal sewing skills (ie. you can cut fabric and and sew a striaght line... you mnight not even need a sewing machine, you could use that fusible webbing stuff)
Gee I hope I put that link in right!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-02-2005, 11:26 PM
opps apparently I didn't ... here it is again http://www.knitpicks.com/lobby.asp?WCI=Item_Display&itemid=80028

judyb
02-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Amy, thank you so much for creating this site, and especially the videos! I was trying to use books, but I just couldn't figure things out from the still pictures. Your explanations and videos are just what I needed. You're a wonderful teacher!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

amy
02-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Welcome JudyB! Thanks for the nice words! :)

Thanks Hildegard for that info!

Amy

Licensed2Cook
02-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Amy, you've created a great site for knitters, thank you so very much. I am very happy to have found this place!

amy
02-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Welcome Licensed2Cook! :)

Amy

LauraT
02-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I hope it's not a dumb question - just want to know. I assume so, but if I'm wrong... :?

amy
02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Welcome LauraT!

Lots of folks ask that. Sorry, you can't play the CD in the TV's DVD player. I'm working on a DVD though. Not sure when it will be out; stuff keeps coming up and pushing that project back! Hopefully by the Spring!!!

Amy :)

LauraT
02-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Can't wait to purchase the DVD! I'm desperate to make socks this year.

beldaraan
02-11-2005, 01:57 PM
LauraT~

Come knit some socks with us at the knit along. A couple of us haven't started yet, and most are beginners. It'll be great fun!

Knit Along (http://knitalongs.blogspot.com/)

LauraT
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
well, i've never been involved in a knit-a-long, but I guess it's what I need to get me to actually START a project!

Hey, I have 2 uncles in Toronto, but I guess that's a long way from you.

I was just informed about the KNITPICKS.com website. Good yarn that's affordable, too. Their self-patterning sock yarns look great!

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420113

what do I do to sign up and do I need to make regular postings of my progress?

LauraT

beldaraan
02-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Look for foldedbird and PM her or email her. You can find her by looking through the memberlist. She also stops by this site quite a bit, so maybe she can make a post and help set you up. Here's the blog site for the knit along:

Knit Along (http://knitalongs.blogspot.com/)

It has the link for the site that we're following to make socks. It's hilarious. Anyway, look forward to seeing you over there.

I'm actually originally from the Toronto area. LOL and yes, it is a long way from home. Three days of driving or 3.5 hour flight. I try to avoid that length of travelling because itt's very stressful on my son. We're thinking of making a car trip to Saskatchewan in a few months and even that seems long. LOL

Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing you around.

MinivanMamma
02-17-2005, 02:34 PM
I've already been puttin' my two-cents worth in here and there so thought I'd come and say "HI" on this thread! :)

This is a wonderful site. Thanks to Amy's super-clear videos I was able to get up and running on my first DPN project (a pair of socks) several weeks ago. So far so good! :wink:

See ya'll on the board!

Anne
02-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Amy, I am so excited about the DVD. Do you think it will be available in the month of March? :lol:

What if anything are you adding to the DVD that is not on the CD?

Happy Knitting :)

amy
02-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Anne,
Thanks for your enthusiasm. The DVD will include instruction on the basics, and as many projects as I can fit. I've been so busy with the site, that I'm still just in the planning stages on the DVD! But I do plan on beginning shooting soon, hopefully next week.

My plan at the moment is demostrate making a sweater, a pair of mittens (maybe even gloves), and some felted slippers, which are knit exactly like socks (so that's like two projects in one). The more I think about it, the more I want to include! I can only fit so much material on the DVD, though. ...Anything you'd like to see included?

I may end up doing a beginner DVD, and an additional intermediate/advanced DVD, just so I can fit all the projects I want to fit!

I can't really say yet when it will be ready. My original plan was for January, but I've been so busy with the site!

I've actually just hired a part time helper, so that will free me up a lot, to focus on the project. It is possible that it will be done in late March, but it could be another couple months, if I get ambitious with the projects!

I sure am looking forward to devoting more time to it soon! Thanks for your interest, and for your patience! I hope I won't make you wait too long!
Amy

Anne
02-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks for replying Amy,

What would i like to see on the DVD?

1. How to knit a different color yarn starting with a new row

I still have not started that Throw due to the fact i just don't get how to Knit each row with a different color. :oops:

2. A beginners DVD sounds GREAT!! Thats what i need :lol:

I hope people will add to this post as i am interested in what other's would like to see

What a thrill for you that you had to hire an assistant to help you. See how this site has grown? If i were you my head would be held so high. GOOD FOR YOU!!

When the DVD is available I WILL PURCHASE IT. :D

knitfun
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I love this site! I think I am addicted! Amy, your videos are so clear and concise! I have sent your weblink to many of my knitting friends!

I used your video last night when I was picking up stitches for my sock I am knitting and it was totally enlightening! I am no longer intimidated about these types of things!

Thanks for your hard work and dedication! It's awesome!

msloloknitter3
02-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Has anyone had to do a right or left cable decrease? I have looked in several of my knitting reference books and cannot find the stitch nor an illustration of it. Can someone from the knitting world help me? I need to finish my pullover before a the year is over. :?:

amy
02-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks Anne and Itourish. Anne, have you checked out the Basic Techniques/ More page for changing color? Where are you stuck exactly?

Welcome msloloknitter3! What do you mean by a cable decrease? I'm not familiar with a decrease by this name. Can you be more specific? Try posting the question, with the specifics, in a new thread, to get more responses.

Amy

Anne
02-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi Amy,

I went to Michaels yesterday with a friend to take another knitting class.

The sweet lady who teaches told me i was casting on the wrong way. ( All this time).... :evil:

I learned how to cast on a different way so my edges would look nice, plus she showed me how to knit a new color starting with every row. :lol:

Remember that throw i was going to knit? Every row has a different type yarn. Ribbon, Mohair, you name i have it...

Today i am practicing for the first time using circular needles. :)

Kittykat
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Just thought I'd introduce myself... I'm Canadian, but living in Sweden for the moment. I'm actually attending school here on an exchange, I go back to Canada fairly soon though...I've always been interested in knitting, mostly watching my mom do it, but alas, when she tried to teach me, I was in highschool, and thus thought I knew it all...turns out I was wrong! So knitting didn't happen then. When I came here, I met up with some fellow Canadians who, like me were board, so we learned to knit, it was a logical decision. It was kinda neat, because everything my mom had taught me came flooding back and I was finally able to knit. So I'm still learning lots!

And thank you so much Amy, you're site is great, and has helped me loads!

amy
03-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Nice to have you on board, KittyKat!

Amy

wildforyarn
03-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi. Just thought I should come and introduce myself. My name is Sara and I am from Wisconsin. I just began knitting about 6 months ago and am only on my second project. I have two children and a job and it keeps me pretty busy, so I am trying to find more time to advance my skills.

This board is great and this website has been a godsend. Friends told me about it and once I started looking around, I have been back almost every day since. Thanks Amy for putting your skills out there for all to see. :D

amy
03-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Welcome Sara! I like your username. :)

Amy

SimplyKaar
03-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Ah, I see this is where everyone pops in to say "hello" :)

My name is Karen and I'm from the Netherlands. I once learned to knit (and crochet and do needlepoint and make lace etc etc) from my mum when I was little but haven't done anything with those skills from about the age of 13/14 and up. Recently I picked up knitting again and found that I still 'sort of' knew how to get things done but did not remember exactly.

Someone who saw me write about it in my journal (*points to Miss Bummble*) kindly pointed me to this website and it's been a GREAT help! I watched most of the video's for the basic stitches and found out I actually know all of them already, so now I'm using them to help me understand the English names for the different stitches :)

Sofar I've only done test-cloths, just to practice but I've found a nice bag on the free patterns page (the chunky hip bag) which I will be buying yarn for tomorrow and I'll finally start on something a bit more useful and challenging than just these slaps of cloth I've been doing sofar :)

Amy, I understand it's your site; it's absolutely amazing and I thank you for all your trouble. It makes HUGE differences for me in understanding English/American patterns that I find online.

sincerely,

Karen.

amy
03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Welcome Karen!

Hmmmm, maybe I should put this in the title: "Introduce yourself!" There, now it's official! :)

Amy

beldaraan
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Okay, well, since it's official....

I think I found and joined this site about a week after it started. I started knitting at the beginning of the year. Been coming here almost every day since I joined. I live in Alberta, Canada and can't wait to start knitting sweaters. That is going to be my specialty one day, since I have many opportunities this far up north to wear them :D

I am a happily married stay-at-home-mom with an extremely cute 20 month old son. My other hobbies, besides knitting, include: reading, Pilates and playing World of Warcraft (online computer game).

I have met a lot of people since joining these boards and look forward to meeting more people. This place is a great community.

KellyK
03-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Hello, all!

First, THANKS AMY for your generosity of time and talent! YOU are quite a chick!

As for me, I just started knitting about a month ago & have QUICKLY become addicted! Here's what Ive got under my belt so far:
3 scarf & matching purse sets
1 scarf for me (all above with fat wool blend & eyelash held together)
1 toddler scarf/hat/babydoll hat set
1 baby booty

Here's what I have on the horizon:
2nd baby booty (tonight)
bathroom rug (loopy with big fat cotton)
doubleknit hats for DH & bro
sweater for chihuahua (pictured below)

I am 34 years old. Ive got 3 dogs and 3 parakeets. I love any living thing with fur (including my hubby), fins or feathers! My family is pictured below.

This August will be our 10th wedding anniversary & we're going to Costa Rica! We're birdwatchers and will also love monkeywatching, dolphinwatching, tapirwatching, etc. while we're there.

Im an exec asst & development (fundraising) coordinator for a local retirement community.. Ive been here 6 years and LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I can bring my pooches to work and I get hugs every day.

I think that's about it.....

fiberfanatic
03-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi everyone!

Another thanks to amazing Amy, you've really been a great help.
I learned to knit (Continental) many years ago - my mother taught me when I was about 10. I fell in love with yarn then, still can't keep my hands off the stuff. I did a lot of weaving, still have the loom, and always will but it's gathering dust these days as I've been wanting something more portable.
I really needed some help getting started again with knitting, now I've actually finished baby blanket, a little girls lacy poncho, several caps, scarves, etc.

Many more projects to come, I can't wait!

SimplyKaar
03-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Amy: the new addon to the topic title works better I think :) When I first came here to browse the topics I had already been looking for one where the newbies introduce themselves.

I guess I should add that I knit mostly English style but I put the right needle under my arm to hold it steady while I use the left needle to manipulate the stitches to where I want them to go. You see, I"m a leftie but I retaught myself to knit from an old book with just pictures for right handed knitting. So my solution was to do it the way it was done on the pictures but use my left hand for the things that take subtle, fine movements *grin*

I think as a child I knitted lefthanded, English style. My mum taught herself to knit lefthanded first by mirroring her righthanded knitting because she knows that around age 6 or so, it isn't easy to learn to use your "wrong" hand for something or to try and mirror what she was doing to fit my lefthand ways.
I have a great mum 8)

For now I'll stick to this; I have seen the video's for continental knitting and I've heard that some of you prefer to do this so maybe in the future I'll give it a serious try to see if it will feel better for me too. But for the time being, what I'm doing is working great and it's the way both my grannies used to knit aswell as far as I can remember so I'll stick to the family way of English knitting :lol:

loofnicnad
03-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone!

My name is Jeff, I am from South Bend, Indiana and I have been kntting for about 3 months now. I started with a prayer shawl project that my fiance, and a friend decided to do as a service project. My first shawl is about 2 days from being completed and I am going to start on another as well as begin making other things for around the house and for gifts. I am enjoying knitting more than I thought I would (and I knew I would like it a lot :lol: )
I enjoy all of the conversation here and hope to, in time be able to contribute and help others the way I have been helped along here. Other than that I am enjoying the supportive atmosphere that this forum provides to those of us who are knew to this craft.

Loof

carollovesyarn
03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, if beldaraan can do it so can I! Introduce myself that is...

HI!

I taught myself how to knit in May 2004 with the help of Stitch n Bitch, Sally Melville's Knit and Purl Stitch books and a few random sites on the internet. How I wish I had this site to help at the beginning! But I've used Amy's videos lots since discovering them last December and I've been a forum visitor since February. I love the sharing helpful environment that I've found in the world of knitters - it complements my personal knitting experience of creativity, sense of accomplishment and destressing. It makes me want to give as much as I've received.

I love knitting (we need a heart emoticon!) and all things related! I love fibers and yarns and I'm now learning how to spin. I learned how to crochet when younger and now I want to refresh and improve those skills to add to my knitted projects. I'm really getting into my own designing skills and embellishing knitted items - some of it's still in my head, but I've never had a burst of creativity this strong for this long and I hope to make the most of it. I've been turned onto beads, buttons, ribbon, sewing and embroidery. I've been needing a new direction and focus and now I think I've found it.

Carol

beldaraan
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
we need a heart emoticon!

OMG, how I cravea heart emoticon.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-03-2005, 08:54 PM
hey!!! Beth showed me how to do a heart! ♥ see???????? It's press-hold "alt" , press-release "3" on the number pad, release "alt". Easy! You can use the same directions to do these too: ☺ ☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ which are 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 respectively... i changed the font to "huge", so you can see them better.

and since we're introducing... I'm Carolyn, I grew up in Maryland, but I live in Illinois now (I met my husband on the internet and we decided to live in his hometown after we got married in my hometown--yes it IS the family scandal). I teach 6th 7th and 8th grade general music and choir, and I *love* my job. The only reason I would quit my job would be to open up a yarn store with my best friend (who taught me to knit in fall 2003), who is also our Art teacher. I have a HUGE stash and a HUGE pile of needles, and a disproportionally smaller number of finished projects, but *that's okay* because I love ♥ love ♥love ♥ love to knit. I taught my mom (pfttec) to knit last spring when she came to visit, and she is the best student I ever had! I've also taught a bunch of kids at school to knit. The best part about knittingis that it has helped me be SMOKE FREE since January 1st 2005. ☺

Christina Cx
03-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I have been looking for a forum like this one & am very pleased to have found it !

beldaraan
03-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Welcome Christina Cx!

I must say, "WOW" on all of the links that you provided. I'm sure you'll be happy in your new neighbourhood :)

Rennagayle
03-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I've been lurking at this board for about a week and a half now. I got the link to it from another knitting board where I also lurk. Learning to knit was/is my resolution for this year. I've wanted to learn for many years. My sis-in-law attempted to teach me about 10 years ago, but I couldn't quite get it. She's trying to teach me again now, but I've finally realized that she's not a very good teacher. She's a blast to hang out with but doesn't have the nack for teaching. I've tried just watching her hands, but it wasn't working for me. I guess I'm a slow learner. :roll:

I ordered Coats & Clarks "Knitting Made Easy" cd, which is great and got me started; but was not helpful enough to undo a problem. That's where Amy's video's come in to play. They are fantastic! I still have problems (am stuck right now, as a matter of fact), but can fix some problems that I couldn't fix before. I have knitted and ripped out the same skein of yarn so many times that the skein is now about 5 times it's original size. In years past, I'd have given up out of frustration by now, but I'm determined to lick this thing, because I truly LOVE to knit! :D

Anyway, I'm happy to meet you all, and am enjoying reading the threads. I often don't know what you're talking about, but it's kind of like a big puzzle, little pieces start gradually coming together as I pick up more info. This is better than a knitting book by far, and I've never been able to learn anything from a book, anyway.

Oh, and I live in a small town with no lys's. Wal-Mart Supercenter is my only local yarn source, and it's pathetically small. There are no local knitting classes, either. I've even hung out (pathetically) at the yarn dept in Wal-Mart's, watching for someone to come along who "looks like a knitter", hoping to persuade them to give me lessons. The only person who fit the bill, turned out to be from another city, in town visiting her sister for the weekend. :roll:

cheesiesmom
03-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I learned to knit at my mother's knee 50 years ago; but was never very "into" it until recently. My daughter wanted to learn to knit, bought some expensive wool to make a scarf and never finished it. So-o-o-o, not being one to waste, I finished it off and have been reinfected with the bug.

I used your videos to learn the continental method in the last couple of weeks and finished a shawl, which I was going to give away, but decided to keep. I find my tension is more even with continental than with english, but it's still a little awkward. Now I have to make another shawl for a co-worker who's facing cancer surgery in the next couple of weeks.

My doctor tells me to exercise more so I'm knitting instead of walking. I don't think he'd approve, but it does take the stress out of my day. And I don't have to worry about slipping on the ice and snow outside. I love nothing more than settling down in front of a good movie and knitting the evening away. Of course, my house isn't getting cleaned very frequently, but I'm having a great time.

Cheesiesmom

carollovesyarn
03-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I've even hung out (pathetically) at the yarn dept in Wal-Mart's, watching for someone to come along who "looks like a knitter", hoping to persuade them to give me lessons. The only person who fit the bill, turned out to be from another city, in town visiting her sister for the weekend. :roll:
Welcome! Hanging out at Walmart might seem pathetic, but I think it just might work. Keep trying! What about local coffee houses, cafes or bookstores? Sometimes knitting in public (KIP) brings out other knitters - you could even just set out some yarn and needles and sit reading a knitting book and see what happens.

Carol

twiggyann
03-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Well, here's the official introduction.

Hi everyone. My name is Lesley and I am a soaper/chandler. On our soaping forum, there was a sock knit along (yep on a soaping forum) and I don't knit but I crochet pretty well. We've moved since I last crocheted and I can't find my stash of crochet hooks and I really wanted to make socks, too. Since I *know* I have every size crochet hook known to man (just don't know WHERE I have them) I refused to go out and buy more. But I don't have any knitting needles so I can buy them. *laugh* Knitting socks was way over my head so I decided just to learn knitting. However until I found this site, I'm embarrassed to say that casting on was over my head. Soapdoc was nice enough to share the link to the knittinghelp website. Now I'm actually knitting and it LOOKS like knitting.

So far I've just been knitting a dish cloth pattern with the wrong type of yarn, just to practice. I'm getting the knit and purl stitches figured out so I went and bought proper yarn and proper sized needles to try a scarf. It should be completed just about the time the weather gets warm. heheheh

Anyway, I live in western Massachusetts. I have a day job, but my soaps/candle business takes up a LOT of my time. I'm married (13 years now) and we have two beautiful daughters (one is a lhasa apso and the other is a shih-tzu)

Thanks for the great site, Amy. I may actually have a successful project thanks to the videos.

amy
03-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Welcome Kelly, Jan & Jeff! Kelly, what cute pictures! :)

Nice to hear introductions from some of you regulars, too! (Hmmm, guess I should have added that to the title sooner! LOL.)

A heart emoticon, eh? Good idea! Although you all have been very creative with that alt key: ♥ ! There's some other emoticons I've been craving for ages.

I think I'll go on an emoticon hunt and figure this out, finally, how to add more emoticons!!.... (to be continued.)

KellyK
03-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Amy....Im very proud of my babies. :D

Lesley, I giggled at your reference to your "daughters", and Im glad Im not the only one!

beldaraan
03-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I think I'll go on an emoticon hunt and figure this out, finally, how to add more emoticons!!.... (to be continued.)

OMG AMY!!!! I handle "to be continued" as well as I do suspense and that is not very well!!! Sooo, how can I be of service to you????

Try www.download.com Then type in emoticons. (I got 41 results)

I go to this site whenever I'm looking for a specific type of program. You can organize your results by most downloaded, highest rating, file size, etc. They have many free programs as well as programs that you can pay for as well.

Heck, to add incentive, I'll use all of your new emoticons in my posts within a week if you add new ones really fast.

Eek, I can't wait any longer already. /whimpers[/b]

amy
03-06-2005, 11:33 PM
....Done! Enjoy the new emoticons! :happydancing:

Amy

*pixie*
03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi all!

I've been lurking since the beginning of the year, and just now decided to take the plunge and register! I've been knitting since just after X-mas. I bought a learn to knit kit and found it to be completely worthless to me. I couldn't understand a single thing. Then I found Amy's videos and I've been hopelessly addicted since!

So far, my FOs include a few standard newbie scarves, dishcloths, hat, felted purse, and several pairs of socks which I absolutely love doing. My nearest LYS is over 40 miles away, but it's a great little shop. I do order quite a bit online and I have been known to send my DH to LYSs in bigger towns when he's there on business with my shopping list.

I'm also a soaper (hi Twig!) and between soaping, knitting, and keeping my family in line I keep pretty busy. I have a 7 yo DD and 4 yo DS, plus we added 2 black lambs who are all of 2 weeks old to the family last week. They were each a part of a set of triplets, and their moms couldn't handle 3 so we get to bottle feed here for awhile.

I love this site and have learned so much already!

twiggyann
03-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Kelly *laugh* we mothers to canine-americans and feline-americans have to stick together.

Hi Pixie! I'm not sure I'm talking to you. I can't believe you didn't tell me about this forum. HRMPH! heheheh

Jivewhistle
03-12-2005, 01:37 AM
It's been so much fun reading all these!! Guess it's about time to introduce myself!

I'm Susan and starting knitting a couple months ago. I'm 22 and had no knowledge of knitting but thought it would be a great hobby to take up as I quit smoking. I bought a learn to knit kit a couple weeks before I quit. ( I wanted to at least figure a little bit of it out before I quit to prevent needle-eye injuries during withdrawl!) Well, the kit kinda sucked so I googled and came across this site. This site and everyone here have really helped me figure this knitting stuff out. I'm still a super newbie but I'm slowly gaining more knowledge.

And...I have been a non smoker now for: One month, two weeks, five days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 47 seconds. 1529 cigarettes not smoked, saving $229.39. Life saved: 5 days, 7 hours, 25 minutes.

Yup, thats right 1529 cigs!!!!!!!!!! I was a pack and a half day smoker and quit cold turkey with the help of the online Freedom From Smoking program through the American Lung Association.

It's amazing how calming knitting can be and especially in the early days of my quit it helped me relax and take deep breaths. I even synched my breathing with my knitting for awhile!

Well, enough bable I suppose.....But before I go I just wanted to share with you a couple pics of my baby Lucy :heart: . She was a neglected dog and my bf adopted her Valentines weekend and suprised us. She is the coolest dog :happydance:

kimmie
03-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Jivewhistle, I am so impressed with you!! Congratulations on quitting smoking. That is a HUGE accomplishment.
kimmie

square
03-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I found this website a few days ago. The instructional videos are great. I'm a fairly experienced knitter, but find them useful all the same. I realized last night that I've been using the "Norwegian" method for purling all my life and am now trying the regular Continental method which seems faster. I think I'll end up with something in between that and the method shown on that Finnish website.

I'm from Iceland, but have been living in upstate New York for the past few years with my husband and 3 daughters (well, the third daughter has only been around for the past 3 months). My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was about 8 years old, and we did quite a bit of knitting at school as well. I'm now 35 and have gone through knitting phases every few years. I've been knitting quite a bit for the past couple of years.

VictoiseC
03-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, I've only read the last page here so far, never noticed this thread before since I was always eager to get into patterns and problems and stuff. I will be reading the rest, love to see all these lovely people here.

I love that dog! I love the emoticons :heart: !

I just have to put up pictures of my babies now that I've seen some of yours.

Vic / Victoise / Viki / Victoria

Oh, I'm in upstate New York also when I'm not in Manhattan.

A curious thing happened yesterday... I went into a bookstore in a mall to see their knitting book section.
This is Oneonta, New York. After searching for a long time, I finally found FOUR books way down at the bottom of a shelf in the corner. As I stood up I noticed the whole middle of the same bookshelf featured books with GUNS on the cover. Way more books on guns than knitting.
hmmmmmmmmmmm

Jivewhistle
03-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Awwww cute cute cute kitties!!!!

KellyK
03-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Victoise, vous avez des belles chats, surtout Mlle. Toisie Bastille!!

Sara
03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
I just realized that I never really introduced myself. I live in western New York, I recently returned to college after many years of helping my husband thru grad school. I am the mother of two girls, ages 5 and 15. Name a craft and I have probably tried it. My biggest love right now is knitting. I really enjoy reading about everyone's projects and lives along the way. This is a great group! :D

VictoiseC
03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Ahh, KellyK, vous parlez Francaise je vois. ? Oui, Mlle. Toisie est tres belle e Monsieur Paolo est Italiano... Paolo Tonnato (last name is tuna fish).

I didn't really introduce myself, I feel my cats are more interesting! ;)

KellyK
03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Pas très bien. Seulement un peu de l'école secondaire.

J'aime le nom, Paolo! Paolo always sounds like a "pool boy" or a "cabana boy", although Paolo Tunafish doesnt sound that way as much.... (Voyez-vous ? C'est là où mon français termine!)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Si vous faites avec ceci un endroit où tout le monde parlent français, je devrai partir. Il est difficile de lire en ANGLAIS... et il est vraiment difficile de dactylographier les accents et tous cette merde (pour le français).

Mais, il est *plus facile* de dire des mots vilains en français ! :twisted:
Ce peut être un code secret !

amy
03-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Welcome Pixie!
Jivewhistle, wow, that's a LOT of cigarettes you haven't smokes. Boy oh boy! They sure add up fast!!!! Congrats on becoming so much healthier and extending your life expectancy so dramatically!!

Victoise, your kitties are sooooo, charming. Love the big girl's bellie picture especially. :) Maybe I'll start a thread called "Pet pictures." It's not about knitting, but it's so fun to see everyone's kitties and doggies!

Amy

amourbliss
03-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone!! I'm Shari and I'm teaching myself to neat and just a week or so ago I completed my first project...a cell phone cozy!! I'm very proud of myself and al the info I got from the forum has been helpful!!! This site is awesome!!! :happydance:

amy
03-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Welcome amourbliss!

KellyK
03-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Si vous faites avec ceci un endroit où tout le monde parlent français, je devrai partir. Il est difficile de lire en ANGLAIS... et il est vraiment difficile de dactylographier les accents et tous cette merde (pour le français).

Mais, il est *plus facile* de dire des mots vilains en français ! :twisted:
Ce peut être un code secret !

:?? Pour cela, je devais utiliser le traducteur en ligne !

Vous êtes correct, cependant. ..vous a dit "merde" et, rien!

Nous devons arrêter parlant le français maintenant. Ma tête blesse! :doh:

amy
03-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Bonjour! or is it Bon nuit?! okay, I'm done with my attempt at French. :rollseyes:

What the heck are you all talking about, anyway?! :?eyebrow:

:) Amy

KellyK
03-15-2005, 02:00 AM
What the heck are you all talking about, anyway?! :?eyebrow: Amy

Well, it started with me telling Victoise that her cats are beautiful, followed by a short discussion of the name of her other cat, Paolo. She was happy that I knew some French, and I told her I know very little ("un peu"), only what I could remember from high school. Then I had to use an online translator for that last paragraph that Hildie wrote, which spoke of the difficulties of translating english and french. I told her that we had to stop speaking french now, because it's hurting my head. :doh:

;)

amy
03-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Ha ha ha, I cheated and used the online translater too. You forgot to mention Hildie's taking the opportunity to curse, and THINKING she's gotten away with it! :fingerwag:

(Couldn't resist the opportunity to use the "finger wag" emoticon at Hildie.) :rofling:

KellyK
03-15-2005, 08:24 AM
You forgot to mention Hildie's taking the opportunity to curse, and THINKING she's gotten away with it! :fingerwag:

Merde.

:rofling:

square
03-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome amourbliss!

Hey, I realize that "amourbliss" may sound more appealing than my screen name, but am I not welcome? (I did introduce myself on the page before this one and nobody has said hi.) :(

amy
03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
:doh: Doh!

Welcome Square!!!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

BTW, your list & pictures of finished objects in the other thread are incredible! Nice stuff!

square
03-15-2005, 01:27 PM
:doh: Doh!

Welcome Square!!!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

BTW, your list & pictures of finished objects in the other thread are incredible! Nice stuff!

Yay!

Thanks.

:happydance:

1to1
03-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi! I started knitting last month after my 9yo dd :XX: started taking classes--now we take classes together at a LYS. We are having a great time learning new things. I have made many different styles of dishclothes, several easy scarves, and now an afghan.

I knit everywhere--during ds games, during dd dance, dr appt, waiting for kids after school, what a way to not waste time :thumbsup: .

I :heart: your site Amy!!! I have learned so many things. What a great group you have here. Thanks!!!

amy
03-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Welcome 1to1!

I agree, there's nothing more satisfying than getting stuff done (and knitting is also so relaxing!), while waiting in a Dr.'s office, etc.!! Sounds like you have lots of those moments, as a mom, doing all the running around moms do for their kids! ....You've hit upon a good thing! :happydance:

Amy

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Ha ha ha, I cheated and used the online translater too. You forgot to mention Hildie's taking the opportunity to curse, and THINKING she's gotten away with it! :fingerwag:

(Couldn't resist the opportunity to use the "finger wag" emoticon at Hildie.) :rofling:

DO'H!!!! I forgot about those darn translator sites. We won't tell anyone what I said, right??? :oops:

beldaraan
03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I knew what it meant. My hubby is half French and has used it on occasion... Learning french is also mandatory in Canada too. I probably knew it way earlier. Isn't that the first thing you do as a kid when looking up words in a dictionary or a translator? :shock:

carollovesyarn
03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
All I know is it was the first thing my boss would shout when something got screwed up in the winery(which was often and usually his own doing). I think I first looked it up when they didn't have a subtitle for it in the French movie I was watching. ;)

Carol

KellyK
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
OH, ALRIGHT, all of you smarty-fat-pantses!!! :mad:

RachelJean
03-16-2005, 05:19 PM
I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I've been reading this website for about a month now and already bought the CD. I'm not really a new knitter - I learned in my teens from my grandmother. Many years have passed since then ... I won't say how many :lol: ... and I decided to re-learn how to knit. I'm currently knitting the afghan in "Learn to Knit Afghan" by Barbara Walker. It's a lot of fun and I'm learning a lot of new techniques. Amy's videos have already helped me a couple times when the written directions in the book were confusing.

I can't believe it took me so long to become addicted - knitting is great and I wish I could do it all the time!

Gatomoso
03-16-2005, 11:43 PM
This is a fantastic site. Thank you, Amy! You are a knitting goddess!

I live in NYC and have been knitting for about 2 years now. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was a kid, but I could never sit still long enough to actually knit anything after casting on. I decided to try knitting after seeing a medical student knitting serenely while I was speaking at her hospital. I was entranced by her Skacel circular needles! I went to the Barnes and Noble, but realized that even if I had a book I wouldn't know where to get yarn or those cool needles. As I looked out the window, frustrated, I saw The Yarn Company. I walked over, drooled over their yarns, bought their book, The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits, got myself some Skacel needles, and haven't looked back!

knittingdiva
03-18-2005, 05:55 PM
My name is Angelique and i am new to knitting and i really enjoy it..
I am so very happy that i have found this website.. it is awesome and for someone that is new to knitting i can find all of my answers to questions that i may have. Amy, is great and she is very helpful. I look forward to being apart of this community..

Happy Knitting.. :happydance:

Angelique :XX:

joaniebee
03-22-2005, 11:02 PM
:XX:
I am a newbie oldie My aunt who was born in Holland taught me how to knit when I was 7 and was very patient with me. I knitted small projects like scarfs and squares and then stopped in my mid thirties. In November of 2004 my SIL's step mother ask me if I knew anyone who knew how to knit and I said "I do I do!" She wanted to learn how to knit so she could knit some of the fun fur scarfs. I sat down with her and showed her how and got so excited over all the new fur yarns and chunky yarns that I haven't put the needles down since. I took my knitting to work and knitted fun fur scarfs during lunch I ended up making about 40 of them from Thanksgiving to Christmas It was so much fun. I haven't tried to tackle big projects but at the moment I have become addicted to the fan and feather pattern. I have done baby blankets in this pattern and am now working on a shawl for my sil in fan and feather. It's very relaxing and certainly keeps me out of the malls.
I also am an avid collector of antique and collectible clothing buttons. Hope to knit with buttons soon
Love the sight and hope to get to join in with all the chatter
Joaniebee

amy
03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Welcome RachelJean, Gatomoso, knittingdiva/Angelique, and joaniebee!

Great to have you al on board!

lisak
03-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello All!

I am very new to knitting and wanted to introduce myself. I have been knitting for about a month and am on the verge of completing my first hat (we'll see...). I am also taking a class and my last one is next Tuesday - Boo! So...I will be visiting a lot more in the near future! I've already been reading a lot of the posts and those are a great help, not to mention this awesome website!!

Thanks for all the great advice so far and I look forward to chatting more!

Shelly
03-25-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm Shelly and wanted to introduce myself! I just started knitting :XX: about a month now. I"m so glad I found this website! Amy thank you for this website and putting so much work into it :thumbsup: I have learned alot from it.

amy
03-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Welcome Shelly and LisaK!

Happy :XX: Knitting!
Amy

Happy Knitting
03-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi my name is Laura. I have been knitting about 8 mons. I love this site. Your videos have been an invaluable source of help to me. I started my first sweater this morning.

Julie
03-28-2005, 01:26 AM
I'm Julie (of course! ;) and I started knitting on January 2! I'm the daughter of a master knitter....really, my mom learned as a very young child and can knit anything in the world....but her teaching style and my learning style never meshed. She tried to teach me once and I was soured on knitting for many years!

So I looked on the Internet for a learning resource, and started trying to learn English knitting from diagrams, and it was sooo frustrating! I wanted to pitch everything out the window. I vented to my sister, and she said, "you ARE learning the GERMAN way, aren't you? Mom will KILL you if you don't!!" My search for videos led me to this site, and I decided to give continental a try. What a difference! Within a few hours I began to understand why people knit for fun. (And yes, the first question my mom asked when I told her that I had learned how to knit was, "are you holding the yarn in your left hand?!?!")

It's been great to have a human resouce at my disposal, but really, Amy's videos have taught me almost everything I know. They are so fantastic and I refer people here all the time.

After finishing a few small projects (hats, scarves, a poncho), I just finished my first big one last week: a sweater. I haven't weaved all the ends in yet, but it's all put together and I'm pretty darn proud of it! (I increased! I decreased! I picked up stitches for the neck!) Tomorrow morning I'm off to buy yarn for sweater #2, a gift for a baby shower on April 24. :shock:

I'm also trying to learn about color right now -- of course for my first practice piece I charted a letter of the alphabet, which doesn't lend itself easily to fair isle or intarsia, so I sort of had to combine them. Amy, I'd love to see more videos about knitting with color! ;)

Thanks, Amy, for all of your hard work. You are a fabulous teacher!!

yarn_newbie
03-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Hi All,
I am new to knitting. I have been crocheting for a little over two years. I wanted to learn knitting and tried to learn from "teach yourself" type books. Could not get beyond casting-on. Then took a class at my LYS - the tutor only taught "english knitting" and for the life of me, I couldnot get it. After the first day of class, I googled and found this site. Awesome tutorials Amy :-) - I almost immediately was able to get the continental knitting - probably becos of my crochet background. Thanks to you, Amy.

So far I have knit 1 slipper, a washcloth and am half way thru a garter stitch scarf using multi fizz.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from you all.

Thanks,
Subha

zimmom
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM

New knitter here. Glad to have found this site!! can't wait to learn from all of you!!

amy
03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Welcome Laura, Julie, Subha & Zimmom!! :cheering:

Glad to have you all on board!
Amy

kemp
03-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Thank you so much for this site. I have been knitting for a week now solely using your videos (I'm a continental :D ) I have been crocheting forever and always wanted to learn to knit. I am going to have a knitting lesson on Thursday, but I am so glad I began early with this site. I think the lesson will be of the most help in how to hold/manage the needles and yarn (me knitting is not a pretty sight right now!) and how to read patterns. Thanks again and I hope to make good use of this forum in my future knitting endeavors!

midnightskyfibers
03-30-2005, 01:41 AM
Hey, Im Jenn and im a student and a fiber artist in the pacific nw where i run my business.

Ive been knitting since i was 5 and like to using my crafting as a tool for my politics- espeically my love of small business, feminist ideals, and environmental ethics.

amy
04-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Welcome Kemp, have fun with your new skill!

Welcome Jenn! I checked out your site. WOW, you have incredible yarns! The fact that they're naturally made, with natural vegetarian dyes, is something I respect and appreciate a LOT. And hand spun! WOW. You're wonderful! Best of luck to you with your business! Those colors are incredible, BTW. ....I think I'll start a thread and ask you more details on your dyeing process if you don't mind!

Amy

midnightskyfibers
04-02-2005, 03:36 AM
thats fine :)

nonahs
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm also new to knitting. I just learned last week, but I completed my first project (a purse/small bag) yesterday. :D I'm going to make a good friend of mine a purse for her upcoming birthday.

I'm almost 21 and I'm currently going to college for Secondary/English Education. I love dogs and horses, and I read and write a lot. I also enjoy making beaded jewelry, though I'm not very good at it, haha.

Merry Stitcher
04-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Greetings,

I've been a "lurker" here for awhile (downloading and replaying many of Amy's wonderful videos) and a newbie knitter. Love the site and this delightful community.

I'm an obsessive quilter from Northern California. Learning to knit has provided me with a great break from my obsession.

I look forward to continuing to learn from you all.

Thanks,
Mary

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm an obsessive quilter from Northern California. Learning to knit has provided me with a great break from my obsession.

That's how it started for me too! I'd write more but i HAVE to go knit, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the group!

Burt
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Amy,

Thanks for the great site and your terrific videos. My wife & I just started knitting in late February, with a mediocre video & almost all the books from the local library; but your videos are what really make things clear! By the way, a couple of days after I watched you make your own needles I tried the same thing with chopsticks (using steel wool to smooth them) -- now I have a spare set of #8s!

- Burt

knitqueen
04-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi! My name is Heather and I've been knitting for a few months now. I just decided one day "hey, I need a new hobby" and I've been going strong ever since. I've completed hats, scarves, purses, a sweater for my son, a jacket for myself, and just completed a hooded vest for my 2 year old niece. I live on the coast of Vancouver Island in western Canada, I have 2 boys...Levi age 3 and Owen age 1.

I've already gotten so much help from this website - it is an invaluable resource.

Knit on!! :XX:

benniesma
04-05-2005, 12:27 PM
I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now. Posted a few questions. I thought it might be nice to actually introduce myself!

My name is Laura. (Everyone say Hiii, Laura!) I'm a 34 year old SAHM. Well, I teach preschool, but that's only 12 hours a week so I have a hard time thinking of it as working. :) I have one DH and 2 little kiddos - a 4 1/2 year old DS and a 2 year old DD. Before becoming a SAHM I was a school librarian.

I've been reteaching myself to knit since January. My grandmother taught me when I was a preteen. I enjoyed it, but wasn't good at it. A woman from my church taught us how to make those fuzzy scarves recently and I've been hooked ever since! Since then I've made a few scarves, a hat for my dad, and am working on a poncho for DD. I have a pattern for a felted purse, so hope to start that soon!

I am also a certified craft junkie. You name it, I've done it! So my hubby just rolled his eyes when I took up knitting again. My other huge hobbies are scrapbooking and rubber stamping. I also love to do stained glass, but that hobby has fallen by the wayside since the kids were born.

Anywhoo....sorry to go on and on! I'm lovin' this site. Thanks so much Amy for creating it! And I look forward to buying my first KH.com shirt!

Knit on!
Laura

amy
04-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Welcome Nonahs, Merry Stitcher, Burt, Heather, & Laura!!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Burt, the chopsticks work well? They don't snag? Sounds great, if so! Good thinking!

Laura, hopefully I'll get the T-shirts up this week as planned. Man, where did the weekend go? :??

Amy

Burt
04-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Burt, the chopsticks work well? They don't snag? Sounds great, if so!
They don't snag, because of the smoothing, but they are pretty slow, so I am not using them regularly. Also, they taper very gradually to the full diameter of the needle, so I might improve them by cutting off a bit of the tip and sandpapering a new point. (I was glad to hear you talk about commercial needles snagging -- I had that happen, and splintering! and thought it was my fault.)

I read somewhere, re knitting on airplanes, that someone took pencils on board, sharpened them, and used them as #11s! And now my wife wants us to try shish-kebob skewers as small dpns...

- Burt

benniesma
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Laura, hopefully I'll get the T-shirts up this week as planned. Man, where did the weekend go? :??

Ack! No pressure on you Amy! I had just been enjoying reading that thread, so the shirts were on my mind. :)

KatyKoolkat
04-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Hello:

My name is Katy, and I am a nanny in Alberta, Canada. I just taught myself to knit over this weekend, and am soo excited. This website was the first to catch my eye because of the easy videos, and the fact that I seemed to learn so much from them so quickly!

Anyway, I need to get to bed, but I thought a quick intro would be nice for all you folks!

Katy

amy
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Welcome Katy!

Amy

authramaiden
04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
to knitting i am trisha and i am knitting a poncho :XX:

rebecca
04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum. I have been knitting (constantly :XX: ) since June 2004!! I live in coastl Georgia and look forward to getting to know u all!!

Jivewhistle
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Welcome Rebecca, Burt, Kathy, and all the others who have recently joined up!!
:thumbsup:

Burt, the chopstick needles sound really cool. I want to make my own dpn's when it comes time for me to give those a shot. I laughed at my boyfriend once for suggesting I use shish kabob skewers instead of buying needles, but I guess it could work!

amy
04-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Welcome Trisha & Rebecca! :cheering:

Amy

osovery
04-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Hello all I am Keri
I just recently started to learn how to knit to help me pas the time and to focus on other thinkgs.. It has been a blessing in itself.. but at times I do need a little assistance so I was very pleased to find this site.. I am very happy to have the open arms that I have received .. thank you to everyone that has already given me help... I am sure there will be more times of me needing assistance..

Talk to ya'all again soon.
Keri ;)

rebecca
04-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Welcome, Keri....I just joined, too. I have already found this site to be very helpful....looks like u have, too! Look forward to getting to know u :XX:

knitwit
04-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi! I just joined after lurking for a little while....I found out about it from a knitting class that I took last month... We watched many of the vidoes and they are soooo great!
The group is so nice too- I like how everyone shares what they are doing - what a great bunch of folks!
Thanks a million- this is my new favorite site :XX:
Jen

rebecca
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Welcome and hello, Jen

catknit
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I've just started knitting and am so happy to have found this site. It has really helped me along. I've been lurking for awhile and decided to come out.

Just wanted to say a quick hello and look forward to learning more.

Joy :D

rebecca
04-14-2005, 11:45 PM
:cheering: :cheering: welcome....welcome joy!! I hope u enjoy this forum as much as i have!! I just joined and have found that the people are super nice and funny :D
look forward to getting to know u! :)

amy
04-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Welcome Keri, Rebecca, Jen, & Joy!

... this is my new favorite site :XX:
Jen

Great to have you all on board!! :D

Amy

HyperCello
04-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Hello! My name's Michelle and I'm a very new knitter (as of last Saturday). I decided I wanted to learn to knit to make diaper covers, so I got a book, needles (is that what they are called????) and have only figured out how to make the first row. :) I'm looking forward to learning everything I can. It's just so hard to find the time to practice with a 3 month old to care for.

SheScraps
04-17-2005, 11:17 PM
The previous poster, Michelle, and I have some in common. I just learned to knit so I could make wool diaper covers for my daughter (9 months old). So far I have completed one soaker and an apron top for her. Not thrilled with how either came out but I just started another soaker and I can already see the difference in my knitting. I'm getting better! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm a SAHM to 2 girls who share a birthday 9 years apart. I live in Iowa and don't know a single person who knits. In fact, around here all my friends look at me like I'm crazy because I'm suddenly so excited about knitting. But these are the same people who don't understand why anyone would breastfeed or cloth diaper. Go figure! :??

Looking forward to learning from many of you and getting to know you all! :D

Silver
04-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Ok.. I'm coming out of hiding. I've been lurking here for quite a while, and have to admit that I've enjoyed your posts.

A little introduction..
I'm 32 and am a self taught knitter who's been an obsessed with yarn for about 5 years now. I've always been pretty crafty/artistic and work at home as a freelance graphic artist and website designer. I also dabble in making my own bath and body products but I enjoy knitting more than ANYTHING else.

Well.. that's it for now. I can get quite chatty at times, so I'm sure this is only the beginning. ;)

brendajos
04-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Since i have been wandering around on here for the last few weeks. I am a new knitter who found this site just by clicking around i think. or i was looking for videos...hrmm. I haven't done anything too complicated as of yet but i think this site may make me a little more adventerous.

I am 34 from Omaha and i work ridiculous amounts of hours. I have learned in the last few weeks that the part time job i have, is there just to pay for my newly acquired yarn habit! i have pretty much done nothing but scarves so far but i really do enjoy them. i have just ventured into a baby blanket and i gotta say, the biggest tangle i am going to have with that is that it is not that easy to carry around for stolen "knit moments"

anyway i am glad to be here. There appear to be a lot of talented people on this site and i hope to get as much knowledge from y'all as i can!! ;)

amy
04-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Welcome Michelle, SheScraps, Silver & Brendajos! :cheering:

Diaper covers looks like such fun projects!

Best to do it as a second or third project, since it's a fitted object and it's hard to get sizing right when you're just starting out, and your tension has a lot of variation still.

Brendajos, I know what you mean, I'm knitting a large bag right now, and it's so heavy on the needles it's hard to carry around with me; although I manage! I actually brought it with me for a walk this weekend, and was knitting and walking around at the same time. It was one of those days where I really wanted to get some progress made on the bag, but it was too nice to not be outside and enjoying it! LOL.

happy knitting!
Amy

BellaSerra
04-18-2005, 02:01 PM
This is a great site. I have learned so much already. The videos have been a life saver.

As in my earlier post, I am new to knitting and want to start a knitting circle in my area. I have looked at all the other knitting groups such as SnB, etc and find them to be too large for my taste. I am looking for a more intimate setting. Thus, I would to start a group for beginners, however long time knitters are invited to join us. We would be honored to learn from experienced knit-o-files.

I am in the Raleigh area and would like to meet at Starbucks in the Target behind Triangle Town Center on Capital Blvd. If you are interested, email me by clicking the email button below.*

Thanks

*[I've edited out the email address in this post, because addresses in posts are vulnerable to SPAM email-harvesting. Bella, if you still want to, you can put it back in. ~Amy]

rebecca
04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
:thinking: hmmmm perhaps instead of doing one large baby (or adult) afghan...maybe work one with squares and then put it together after u have finished all of the squares!!
Welcome one and all!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

fluffyhelen
04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Hello!

My name is Helen and I am 21. I am currently living in Wales and started knitting to try and help control my anxiety and give me something to keep me occupied! :)

So far I've knitted a rather long scarf, and now the weather is sunny so it's too hot to wear it!

I'm going to start knitting a pink fluffy scarf for one of my friends and possibly a matching bag. I'm also knitting a red and white scarf for my dad to wear to football matches and a navy scarf for my grandad.

Alongside this I'm also knitting a baby blanket for my friend who is due to give birth in September.

This site is fantastic, it's got the first understandable explanation of how to do moss stitch which I've seen! :)

Helen :XX:

KellyK
04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Oh, Helen....my most favorite "Surrogate-Grandmother/Fairy Godmother" is from Wales! She is the Board President where I work, and I believe she is from Grenfell?

fluffyhelen
04-20-2005, 03:14 PM
I just looked up Grenfell as I hadn't heard of it and it's in New South Wales.. which is quite a long way away from me. :)

I'm in the rainy Wales, not the nice sunny one. It was living in Wales which partially got me so interested in knitting though.. there isn't a great deal else to do around here! :)

gjackart
04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Pingouin Pattern#78
Page 7
Vertical Sweater in Confort
No 85.321

I appreciated if someone would be happy to help me with those pattern below here. It says stunning idea to enliven the classic styles. Our old favorite fishermen rib uses two colours to make a vertical stripe effect with an unusual three-demensional apperance.

You can email me by clicking the email button below.*

Sitches Used
1 rows:(right side).With B,K1,*P1,slip 1 pw,yrn;repeat from *to last 2 sts,p1,k1.
Return to opposite end of row.

2nd row:(right side).With A, k1,yft,slip 1 pw,*yon,ktog the next st with the made
loop of previous row,yft,slip 1 pw;repeat from *to last st,yon,K1.

3rd row:(wrong side).With B,K1,Ktog the next st with the made loop of previous row,
*yft,slip 1pw,yon,ktog the next st with the next made loop;rep from * to last st,K1.
Return to opposite end of row.

4th row:(wrong side)With A,K1,yft,*slip 1pw,yrn,p tog the next st with the made loop
of previous row;rep from * to last 2 st,slip 1 pw,yon,k1.

5th row:(right side).With B,K1,yft,p tog the next st with the made loop of previous row,
* slip 1pw, yrn,ptog the next st with the next made loop;rep from *to last st,k1.Return
to opposite end of row.

*[I've edited out the email address in this post, because addresses in posts are vulnerable to SPAM email-harvesting. Gjackart, if you still want to, you can put it back in. ~Amy]

HeatherFeather
04-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Hello all!!!

I am new this week to this site, and just love it!!!

I am Heather, I live in Baltimore, I have enjoyed handcrafts my whole life. I re-started knitting in winter of 2003, and have become officially adicted. I am NOT happy unless my hands have been on the needles at least once or twice a day.

I consider myself a novice, but have made sweaters already. I can follow the simple patterns if there isn't a lot of crazy repeats, I loose track easily.
I have taught 2 people to knit, one a little girl, and the other my friend. The little girl was MUCH easier to teach...actually 3...my 6 yo is learning. I think she knew how before she even picked up the needles watching me. My family enjoyed my hand crafts, but I didn't start getting orders for things until I started knitting.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all!!!

amy
04-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Welcome BellaSerra, good luck getting your knitting group together.

Welcome Helen, happy knitting! I hope we get to see the pictures when you're done with those! Today it's a rainy April day here in New England (the first "real" April day we've had, it's been so sunny!) We actually had the wood stove piped up--a big change from nearly having to use the air conditioning for the last two weeks!

Welcome gjackart! Try re-posting your Q in the "How-to Questions" forum, you'll get more answers that way. ;)

Welcome HeatherFeather! Sounds like you're truly addicted! :thumbsup: Way to go! ;) That's great that you're teaching others, it's so much fun isn't it?

Amy

nonokitty
04-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I'm new here. I was reffered here by someone who left a comment on my blog. I'm not new to knitting, I've been knitting now for about 8 months. Anyway, I'm glad that someone told me about this forum! :D

rebecca
04-25-2005, 12:27 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: welcome, nono...glad that u joined & look forward to getting to know u!

gimmesanity
04-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Hi! Thought I'd finally introduce myself -- I've been lurking on this board for quite some time now.

My name is Sharon. I'm originally from NYC, but am currently residing in MD thanks to the Air Force. You join to see the world, and you end up 3 hours away from home... :doh:

Anyways, I recently picked up knitting again. I'm like a smidgen above beginner, though. Not too much experience, but I'm not scared to try something new and mess it up. ;)

I'm a new mommy -- that's a pic of my little monkey, Nia. She'll be 4 weeks old on Thurs!! This is probably tmi, but I'm always on here in the wee hours of the morning hooked up to my pump. Moo.

Amy, your site is AWESOME! :cheering: It's helped me out of a few jams. Thanks a bunch, yo!

~Sharon

KellyK
04-26-2005, 07:14 AM
A big old WELCOME to Sharon and her pump!! :waving:

(hmm....I can't seem to find a b-pump emoticon! :?? )

Nia is beautiful!! Congratulations! :heart:

rebecca
04-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Welcome, my friend....nia is just :heart: erly!! And, kelly...we know amy & she has just put new emoticons on here...pumps may be next....j/k sharon....we do that a lot around here...especially HRH kelly & myself
looking forward to getting to know u & see & hear about both your knitting & the bambino....my bambino will be 20 :balloons: next TUESDAY...yes, u r new, and don't know me...I am a miracle of modern science..i was a mere :--- 8 when my Shannon was born.
Looking forward to getting to know you! :waving:

rebecca
04-26-2005, 12:33 PM
fyi that :heart: erly meanly loverly....not hearterly... :roflhard: :roflhard:

JLC
04-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, I've been lurking here for quite a while and finally decided to register and post. My name is Janna. I've only been knitting for a few months (since January, I think), and I'm addicted already. I've been making felted bags, but I'm going to try socks as soon as the new yarn I ordered gets here!!

KellyK
04-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Welcome Janna!

We are in the same boat, you and I...Ive only been goin since February...I am TOTALLY and UTTERLY addicted!

amy
04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Welcome Sharon! :waving: Great to have a New Yorker on board, yo! :mrgreen: What a beautiful baby you have. I LOVE the name Nia, how pretty and original. Of COURSE that's not too much info, we love to see personal photos here. I'm the one who started the Cheezy Pet Photos thread, after all! If I had a baby, it probably would have been a "adorable children photos" thread. (Hmmm, there's an idea... Someone should start that! ;))

Welcome Janna! WTG on getting hooked so fast! :thumbsup:

Amy

Joel
04-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi. I'm Joel. Seeing as I'm a double newbie, let me take a moment to introduce myself.

:thumbsup:

Not only am I new to this site/forum, but I'm new to knitting. I just started learning about a week ago. It's something I've been considering for a while. I tried crochet (which both my wife and neighbor do) and wasn't getting the hang of it. Then found out that knitting only has the two basic stitches and figured I'd try tackling it instead. Plus, when I've been looking at various patterns in the yarn section... of Wal-Mart, etc, I find that i like alot more of the knit stuff than i do the crochet.

I found this site by accident, while looking for video clips on how to do this. That rhyme rocks! Anyway, hi to all of you and at some point here soon, I'll try and think of a decent quote and get an avatar up here.

Take care,
Joel

rebecca
04-28-2005, 07:11 PM
:XX: :XX: welcome & hello to u, Janna.....I know already that u and I will be fast buddies bc I :heart: :heart: :heart: to knit socks!! Altho (the world already knows...lol)I'm not working on socks now bc I'm doing an afghan for a wedding gift & I must finish it 1st!....but, girl...then we'll talk....I've got the yarn for 7 pairs of socks that I can think of off of the top of my head (3 pair need the yarn dyed 1st) AND....it's :wall: very difficult to look at that beautiful yarn and all of those dpns and not knit socks...but...alas...I :verysad: cannot!! But...give me 2 weeks and I'll be a sock knitting fool.....well, my theory is this....I do a pair of socks, then another of my projects in waiting, then socks...and so on...sooooo....after u know so much about me...aren't u glad u got to meet me?! :roflhard: :roflhard: j/k....looking forward to getting to know u, tho!

:waving: and welcome to you, Joel...I am glad to hear that u chose knitting over crochet...knitting makes much more sense to me!! :thumbsup: And, I would like to especially welcome :XY: , bc we don't seem to get lots of guy knitters...or they just don't say so...chickens!! They have no clue as to how cool knitting is!! Just wait...your friends r gonna be asking u to make them things...then to teach them to knit!! Fair warning...this knitting, my friend...is a powerful addiction!
nice to meet ya'll
have a :XX: :XY: evening

KellyK
04-28-2005, 07:42 PM
:o HEY, EVERYBODY......

:inlove: A MAYUN!!!!! :inlove:

Welcome, Joel! :waving: You are gonna be WAY ahead of the game, finding this site so soon! LOTS of wise resources here. ENJOY!

brendajos
04-28-2005, 08:14 PM
lol Kelly! :rofl:

Joel
04-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the welcome... I'm looking forward to "talking" with you. I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of questions, so please be patient with me if I ask something that seems really basic.

If any of you have questions for me, (knitting or otherwise) please dont hesitate to ask. I will answer most anything.

:XY:

KellyK
04-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Joel, we are the most patient group you could possibly find. ;)

Joel
04-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Whew.... :lol:

barefootcajun
04-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi! I just stumbled on this site while reading a knitter's blog. My name is Michele. I'm 43 and live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I've been knitting for about three years now but can only do basic stitches. I'm anxious to learn more advanced techniques (and by this I mean things like yarn overs :D ) but I'm left-handed and haven't been able to pick it up from an illustration. I'm hoping I can learn some new tricks here.

brendajos
04-29-2005, 08:11 PM
aah Barefoot! Welcome! You will learn all sorts of things here. i too can really only do the basic stitches but i have watched the videos and i am getting close to venturing out...lol. I am also left handed and found the videos are amazingly helpful. i can't learn from looking at a flat book but i can from watching amy do it over and over again.

i use to live in BTR...for about a year and a half. i helped open West Telemarketing down there (which i understand has become a very well loved establishment down there...lol. I promise it use to be a great company! ;) )

welcome welcome!

amy
04-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Welcome Joel! :waving:

I tried to teach my niece to crochet the other day, and to my surprise I realized it's much harder to do, manually, than knitting! At least, I couldn't teach her crochet successfully (whereas I taught her to knit months ago; she's 5 years old). It's the hooking of that loop through the stitch--it is HARD to do at first! It's funny, because I always thought of knitting as harder than crochet. I think Crochet is easier to improvise with as a kid; but harder to get the coordination skills down.

Welcome Barefoot! :waving:

Amy

hedgehog
04-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow... what a great site!! :)

I thought i'd introduce myself and say hello officially... "Hello officially!!"

I'm a novice knitter who kinda fell into this obsession last May. It all started with a trip to a LYS for something COMPLETELY non-knitting related but i saw a pair of those fuzzy flip-flops and thought to myself, "I bet i can do that..." The ladies gave me the pattern, a friend taught me the basic knit stitch and - WOOSH - i was off! :X: Flip-flops for EVERYONE! :roflhard:

Since then i've been voraciously gathering ideas and yarns for NUMEROUS projects - many i've completed, many are in the wings. Scarves, baby blankets, shawls and i'm planning to knit a sweater *eek!* :shock: :lol: Ahhh... Healthy obsession - how i love thee and seek thy comfort... :inlove:

The person who taught me how to knit was only visiting from England for a short time so I don't have anyone around to help me with all these ideas. :( Aside from the basic knit stich I'm book-taught :study:

I found this site in March when i was tackling my first Intarsia project (baby blanket for a friend) and i can't even begin to express what a help this site was!!! Books are great, but they don't compare to actually seeing it done and hearing it explained! THANK YOU!! :pray: (BTW, the project turned out beautifully and i'm so proud of it!)

Next project in the pipeline - a shawl for my lovely sister that i'm rather perplexed about. (i posted a link about it on the How-To board a few days ago).

And just a smidgen about me (since this is an introduction!) - I'm an ex goth on the outside but still a goth at heart, university professor (teach molecular biology and bioinformatics), 34, US citizen but did my PhD in England, finished two years ago, and now back in the southeastern US but DESPERATE to get back to Ol' Blighty! Oh, and my semester ends this week so i'm REALLY looking forward to some serious uninterrupted knitting time and winding down from teaching... (students are NOTHING like they used to be... and yes, i know that makes me sound old!) :roflhard:

Right.. time to stop babbling and getting on with my to-do list for the day!

Hiya!!
-hh

KellyK
04-30-2005, 10:34 AM
WELCOME BACK, Hedgehog!

I work for a retirement community called "The British Home" and, although none of our residents are British, we have a whole constituency of British donors/volunteers....I undestand their charm! I wanna HUG each and every one of them!

LOVE your sense of humor, hedgey....can't wait to get to know ya better!

rebecca
04-30-2005, 01:27 PM
welcome barefoot & hedgehog...look forward to getting to know u!!! have a :XX: :XY: :sunny: weekend!!

amy
04-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Welcome hedgehog!

Great introduction! I feel like I know you already.

I know exactly the flip-flops you're talking about, what a fabulous and fun project. :thumbsup:

Hope we get to see some pictures of those projects, they sound great. The intarsia project sounds ambitious!

Amy

LisaD715
05-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Hello there!! I am Lisa, and am new to this forum. Joel sent me to check it out and I really like it!! Thanks Joel!!

I live in Parkville, MD, am the mother of two teenage boys, have one dog and am a fairly new knitter. I taught myself how to knit a few months ago, and am currently working on my 3rd and 4th projects. (I switch off every now and again.)

I look forward to learning from and getting to know all of you!!

Lisa

brookenic
05-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Welcome Lisa. We look forward to geeting to know you as well. :waving:

Michelle
05-01-2005, 04:54 AM
I'm Michelle. LOL

<------

Anyway, I just started knitting tonight and thanks to the videos on this site, it is going much better than I anticipated.

Thank you very much for providing this awesome resource!

KellyK
05-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Hey Lisa and Michelle! :waving:

Lisa....please post a pic of your pup on the "Cheesy Pet Photos" thread....we LOOOOVVVVVEEEE pooches here!!! :inlove:

nanettecelina
05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi!

I am a long time knitter, we won't say exactly how long that is, ahem. Great site!
I knit just about anything, but I am addicted to socks. No matter what else I'm doing I have a pair of socks in the works and am always interested in new techniques. I look forward to being here.

Joel
05-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Lisa,

Here's your official welcome to the forum from me...

:cheering:

amy
05-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Welcome Lisa, Michelle & nanettecelina! :waving:

Amy

rebecca
05-02-2005, 01:49 AM
:waving: :waving: I am about to go to bed, so only have time for a brief hello and welcome to u new guys!!
Hello again Joel :XY: and thanks for liking us so much that u sent your friend, Lisa! Hey to u, Lisa! I'm glad that u r here, too! I've been knitting since last june and am self taught,as well!! U will find that u like it around here!!
Michelle... :XX: :XX: u will be knitting like this :XX: in no time!!, I'm afraid that there will be a bit of frogging :frog: ..but, hey...we all still do that!! Welcome, welcome...happy to have u! let me know if I can be of any help :D
now, now nanettecelina...i have been knitting socks only since jan....but...I have found that I have a sizeable problem :inlove: :inlove: ...I am in love with knitting socks, too!! I'm afraid that I don't have any on the needles now (and it's KILLING ME!!) but I have a good reason (everybody else already knows this..ya'll bear with me...lol) and that reason is that I MUST concentrate on the afghan that I am doing for my nephew's wedding (may 14)...so i must fo the afghan...altho, i will admit that i got quite tired of it and have not knitted one itty bitty knit, purl or combo of today...and u know what...I feel much better about it...rejuvenated, as it were...so i'm gonna get busy and finish that afghan by d (well, w) day...if at all possible..please please :pray: and :pray: some more! I just counted up that I have 32 projects in the waiting after this afghan...so i really must get busy...and, as it turns out...I have cut myself off from knitpicks bc that's where ALL of the yarn (love their yarn) has come from and I must get busy!!
Now :roflhard: :roflhard: THAT was a LOT of talking (typing) for one who was gonna say welcome and goodnight...don't u think....but...those of u that know me,know this...u new guys will SOON find out...i am a blabber mouth and I talk in circles (odd circles...often hard to keep up with and/or understand...like crop circles... :roflhard: :roflhard: )
:heart: to u all
:waving: good evening to all
and.....'
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: goodnite one & all
may u all have a :XX: and/or :XY: week with lots of :balloons: and fun and may surprises :present: come your way
i'm off (no jokes here...i mean i'm off to bed...lol)

LisaD715
05-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Thank you all for that great welcome!! Pic of Solomon soon to be on the website!! He loves having his picture taken!

I could have kicked myself yesterday...wound up spending the day at the hsopital with a family member and didn't even take anything to knit!!!!! I always have a bag ready to go too.

I was bummed, however, have vowed to spend at least a good chunk of today working on the wrap. I am inspired to get it done quick. Joel's wife suggested a cute place to buy a brooch for it when it is completed, I am excited to get the catalog.

I am off to post a pic of Solomon, and then to get some more sleep.

TTFN

rebecca
05-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Lisa...I do so hope & :pray: that the person that u were sitting with in the hospital has faired well!! I do know when u sit somewhere (especially a hospital)for a length of tme that u MUST have your :XX: :XX: power to relax & calm you!! I started to say perhaps next time...of which I do mean....but the meaning is that u don't forget your knitting for the nextt time that u have an extended stay somewhere....certainly the hope is that it NOT be at hospital... :doh: to me!!
Well, my friend...u have a nice :zzz: and then hopefully u will have a refreshed and :sunny: kind of day! Fyi...I am rebecca, forgive me if i missed welcoming u (forgive me also if i did & completely had an 'episode' of forgetting reality in general :roflhard: :roflhard: .j/k..i'm not quite that bad...lol) looking forward to getting to know u...it's a blast around these here parts.
a :balloons: from me to u to wish u a balloonytoons kind of week :thumbsup: later to u

anuca
05-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone! One more knitter to join in. I've been using the GREAT site for some time now, but it's the first time I see the forum (I AM absentminded), and I actually need some help with a pattern, so I'll go over to post my question on the How-to section. I hope someone will be able to help me, since, judging by the amazing projects I've seen in the "recent projects" post, there are great knitters around here!

I am a new knitter, my mom just taught me how to do it last October, but I'm totally hooked and have finished a couple of projects that I'm quite proud of (even though they are full of mistakes). I belong to a knitting group that gets together every other week and I recommend it to everyone: time to knit, knit and knit!! without any interruptions and in good company.

Anyway, hello again and I hope to participate often,

Anuca

KellyK
05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Welcome Anuca!! Im sure you'll find answers here...
Feel free to make yourself a Blog in the Blog forum, too! Id love to hear more about your knitting group!

LisaD715
05-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Rebecca, thanks for the well wishes! It is really hard gettin old, my SO's father is in the hospital, but I think he will be home tomorrow. I did remember to take my knitting today and had all the nurses in checking out what I was making. I will have it with me tomorrow as well, but hopefully he will be coming home.

I am including a picture of the wrap that I am working on. Looking forward to using some self striping yarn to do socks next.....

Joel
05-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Ok.. welcome to all of you joining the site. For those of you who are beginners.. i can empathize... i only started to learn knitting just over a week ago. And those videos are absolutely great! The forum is really cool too.

Ask questions... i do.

Norman
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I guess I never offically introduced my self..

My Name is Dave and I am a knitter.. :)

NEWho.. I'm a notrious bad speller, computer programmer (14 languages), artist, theater buff, hiker and all sorts of things..

Things I do:
Work at a big Telecom Company during the day
During the night: I run my webhosting and design buisness
: I run a 3d Graphics and Visual Effects Studio
: I run a DJ and professional photography buisness

For Pasttimes:
: I knitt (when I don't get frustrated)
: I hike while geocaching
: I read books, and write a little myself
: I work at a local Theater
: I Play with the kids, of course
: I do freelance programming for friends

*whew*

I do alot.. but if I don't keep busy.. I go nuts.. last night.. I was all confident in knitting.. then I did my cast on.. tried to do 10 stiches of: (K1,.P1) and that got all screwed up.. so I thought I would do something a little more basic.. do a knit row then a purl row.. but as I was doing the purl row .. like half my stiches fell off the needle.. I don't even know HOW I did that.. *sighs* So knitting is frustrtraing me a little right..

So anyway.. to stop my blathering :)

Nuno930
05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
OMG! A Geocacher!! :happydance:

and I finaly got your screen name :roflhard: (yeah, I am slow)

KellyK
05-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Huh??? :??

Joel
05-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Ok... I'll byte. What's a geocacher.. and what does that have to do with Dave's nickname?

Norman
05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Ok... I'll byte. What's a geocacher.. and what does that have to do with Dave's nickname?

I don't think it has anything to do with my nickname.. :) My nick comes from the Psycho Movie (Norman Bates). Got that in theater in HS.. it's stuck.

Geocaching is like oreienteering (BoyScouts know what that is). Except we use HandHeld GPS units.

check out this site: http://geocaching.com

This is a straight link into thier faq (1st question is what geocaching is)
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

:) Dave

Joel
05-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Interesting... orienteering with a handheld GPS unit... Ok, now im having a Star Trek moment ("Tricorders open"). Now, if they would just add beaming... :D Although I must admit, having a handheld GPS unit would have been interesting for this one particular hiking/camping trip I took up in Canada.

Glad they called you Norman instead of the other possibilty. (Amazingly enough, I've actually never seen that movie.)

rebecca
05-04-2005, 01:11 PM
:waving: :waving: and welcome one & all...it's very exciting to see that we r growing by leaps & bounds...and forgive me if I forget any of u new guys ( I have moments.. :roflhard: of just losing the mind that is left...ask kellyk, she'll vouch for me) Welcome and hello to u Anuca, I certainly look forward to getting to know u...I'm sure u will love it around here! Lisa, I'm so glad that your SO's dad is getting better...your wrap is stunning :cheering: :cheering: , my dear, good job! Hi to u Norman/Dave...man of many talents and no free time...lol...u certainly r busy....geocaching & knitting...who knew?! And Joel...knitter for a week :XY: u say...u sound like a pro!!
:happydance: :happydance: happy to have u all here...look forward to getting to know all...u will find there will be days of :XX: and :XY: and quite a few days of :frog: ...but don't despair!
I'm off to work on the (infamous) afghan
have great days...one & all...these r from me to u :balloons:

anuca
05-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys!

amy
05-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Welcome anuca!

Nice to hear more about you Dave. Geocatching sounds like fun. Wow, you do do a lot!

Stacy
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Hello,

My name is Stacy. I have been lurking for a few weeks and today I had a question on one forum, so I thought I better come back here and officially introduce myself.

I began knitting on April 4, 2005. I was off of work due to surgery; a craft store was having a free class, so I thought it would be a good thing to try while I was recovering. Well...I am hooked, or as my husband would say I have become obsessed. :D I have read everything I can get my hands on. Searched the internet like crazy, and have found THREE yarn stores I can go to in the area. I was surprised by that because we live in a very small town in Kentucky.

So far I have made four scarves and 8 dishcloths. I love to make dishcloths. I am taking a class on Tuesday at the LYS to learn to make a hat. I was going to sign up for the beginners class, but when I went back with some of my dishcloths she changed me into the hat class. :shock:

I am a special education teacher at the local high school. I don't go to the lounge any more for lunch. I sit in my room and knit or read these boards. I have learned so much from this site. THANKS!!

I better run, the bell is going to ring and I am only half finished with my salad.

Stacy

Joel
05-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Welcome Stacy...

Dang... you are busting those projects out! :XX:

KellyK
05-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Welcome Stacy!! I know what it means to be addicted! KH is like Knitter's Anonymous, except we SUPPORT each others' habit!

Rorshach
05-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Greetings all,

Have been visiting the site whenever I needed a demonstration of how to do something. I'm a fair beginner at this point in time. Though I taught myself, from books mainly, how to knit, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this hobby. I've gotten to the point where my wife has asked me to teach her how. At this point, am working on an afghan, and a sundress pattern I saw out of Interweave knitting. So plenty to keep me busy, but I look forward to sharing with everybody, and learning as I go.

KellyK
05-09-2005, 07:56 PM
YAYYY! Another male knitter!!!

How COOL that you are going to teach your wife!

"Rorshach"...hmmm....are you in the field of mental health?

Let me invite you to start your own blog thread over in the blog forum (where else?) where you can posts all your FOs and WIPs and let us get to know ya!

Rorshach
05-09-2005, 08:00 PM
YAYYY! Another male knitter!!!

"Rorshach"...hmmm....are you in the field of mental health?

Actually, no, but psychology is another hobby of mine, amongst computers, games, and knitting (new addiction).

Aby
05-09-2005, 08:43 PM
That wouldn't be Rorshach, original creator of the chatroom dotd, would it? Just curious.

Rorshach
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Not that I'm aware of, unless I've been sleep developing again :) Seriously, the only thing I've contributed to the computer world is actually fixing them.

Silver
05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Welcome Stacy and Rorshach!! :waving:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Anuca, Rorshach and Stacy! Nice to have you!

rebecca
05-10-2005, 01:16 AM
:waving: Welcome new people!! Happy to have you here among us!! We :heart: :heart: :heart: :XX: :XY: around this place...we are among the obsessed, there is little doubt there!!
Hi Aby, I had not seen u before, either...welcome
Rorshach...just beginnin?! my...u r so ambitious....that's wonderful...an afghan and a dress....your wife loved watching u love it & wanted to learn,as well, huh?! I think that's great.
My sweet, sweet husband loves that I knit & enjoy it & supports my habit with glee, but would never dream of joining in other than observing, trying on a thing or 2, making comments on how well this looks, and stuff like that, but...if he had needles in his hand...there would be a problem...he would be possessed by something other than he...for sure!!
Gosh, Stacey, hope u r doing well after your surgery!! And it sounds as if u r off & going like crazy like the rest of us!!
ok, forgive me..i forgot who said they were surprised by finding LYS in your town...but u can buy all over the net!! And, of course...everyone else knows....my favorite is knitpicks.com they are very reasonably priced for quality yarn and elann.com always has a great selection at great prices
Welcome one & all....great to have u :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

PurlyGyrl
05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I've been lurking for a while and just wanted to say "Hiya" to all. Thank goodness I found this site. I'm a semi-new knitter (learned years ago, then forgot it ALL!) and I was stuck on a pattern :thinking: . The videos helped me get "unstuck". :cheering: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :XX: Happy Knitting!

PurlyGyrl

KellyK
05-10-2005, 12:22 PM
You think the VIDEOS are great? (Well, they ARE, but....) Wait til you get to know the REST of the group here!! WELCOME! :waving:

PurlyGyrl
05-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I appreciate it! :waving:

Purly

Stonington
05-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi... My name is lol.. Kidding aside, my name is Anne... from Southern Maine! I too have been a lurker... gleaning as much information as I could and having a great time reading the blogs... although folks are really starting to look at me funny as I sit here at work and giggle away! I agree with everyone! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS SITE! The videos are wonderful.. (I think even I might get brave enough to cable!)

Thanks for keeping me company at work! annie :sunny:

KellyK
05-10-2005, 05:08 PM
WELCOME ANNE!

And, WHAT's with all the people who say they've been LURKING for so long?!? C'MON IN! WATER'S FINE! :happydance:

Joel
05-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi... My name is lol.. Kidding aside, my name is Anne... from Southern Maine! I too have been a lurker... gleaning as much information as I could and having a great time reading the blogs... although folks are really starting to look at me funny as I sit here at work and giggle away! I agree with everyone! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS SITE! The videos are wonderful.. (I think even I might get brave enough to cable!)

Thanks for keeping me company at work! annie :sunny:

Welcome Anne... glad we can provide you with smiles to brighten your workday.

Welcome to the rest of you joining us as well. :D

And, WHAT's with all the people who say they've been LURKING for so long?!? C'MON IN! WATER'S FINE! :happydance:

Yeah what she said! This hot tub is big enough for you and your friends. :-) (Dang we need a swimming emoticon...)

Norman
05-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Joel.. joel.. joel.. you knew you shouldn't have asked.. you mean like this little guy here..

Joel
05-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Joel.. joel.. joel.. you knew you shouldn't have asked.. you mean like this little guy here..

Shipwrecked.... :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Stonington
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome! I love the ship wrecked emoticon! :pray: can it be added to "our" list? Have a sparkling day!

Norman
05-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome! I love the ship wrecked emoticon! :pray: can it be added to "our" list? Have a sparkling day!

I'm don't mind, that's up to AMY.

Being admin and devleoper on like 7 boards like these.. I have access to ALOT of smilies.. :)

DotMom61
05-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Sounds like a new thread to me: "If you were shipwrecked on a deserted island, what kind of yarn and needles would you want to have along?" :lol:

jodstr2
05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
hi :D
nice site :heart:
was introd to this site by my friend Robin.
lots of helpful stuff in here! :thumbsup:

Joel
05-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Welcome Jodi...

Sounds like a new thread to me: "If you were shipwrecked on a deserted island, what kind of yarn and needles would you want to have along?" :lol:

Julie, if you start that thread, I'll post to it. :lol:

DotMom61
05-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Julie, if you start that thread, I'll post to it. :lol:

Not unless I can have that cute little shipwrecked emoticon!

KellyK
05-11-2005, 07:58 PM
WELCOME JODI! :waving:

jodstr2
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
hi and thanks for the warm welcome! :heart:

PurlyGyrl
05-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Hiya, Jodi!:waving:

Purly
a/k/a Denise

knitkat3
05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Just found your website while searching for a visual on kfb. Thanks for making simple! I immediately ordered the cd (no dsl at home!) I have knitted all my life with no success. I am finally getting serious and loving it!!

ekgheiy
05-12-2005, 05:24 PM
:waving: :waving: :waving:

KellyK
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
WELCOME, knitkat! :happydance:

rebecca
05-13-2005, 12:45 AM
:waving: :waving: To one and all!!
So many new people since I was on just a couple of days ago...THAT'S GREAT :cheering: :cheering:

Welcome, Purlygyrl, glad the videos helped u, they have me, too

Hi to U, lurker Ann/Stonington...now...u go BE BRAVE & CABLE..it won't hurt ya, it's really not as hard as it looks...it's like socks, looks scary, but it's not!

:heart: ing the ship wreck!!!

Hey to u Jodi & thanks to u, robin, for introducing jodi to the site!

Knitkat3--now u can get busy with your knitting!! I would not expect to get 'serious' with knitting around here bc nobody is 'serious'...lol...we do have lots of fun & there's a lot of knowledge out & about around here if u need any help...just yell!!

:cheering: :cheering: happy u r all here to be :XX: :XY: and even :frog: with us...looking forward to getting to know u all
:waving: :waving: I'm off to :zzz:

kemp
05-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Just found your website while searching for a visual on kfb. Thanks for making simple! I immediately ordered the cd (no dsl at home!) I have knitted all my life with no success. I am finally getting serious and loving it!!

I think you'll find the videos VERY helpful... I learned to knit from Amy via her videographer/knitter extraordinaire skills.

knitkat3
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
what a great welcome!! thank you all so much! really looking forward to reading some of the blogs....what a great site. have a good day!!

leapinfrog
05-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Hello fellow knitters!

I've been a member of this site for a little over a month now, and have not had the time to introduce myself (too busy knitting :XX: ). I've been knitting for a little over 4 years, however not as consistently as I have lately. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, and have just discovered a really cool LYS a couple blocks away from my current house! Uh-oh - BF's a little jittery because of this recent find. I also crochet, stamp, scrapbook, make jewelry...however nothing has given me as much satisfaction as knitting. I truly admire all the work I've seen of all of you, and am now inspired to knit more and broaden my horizens. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this GREAT knitting community!

KellyK
05-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Well, HEY THERE, Leapinfrog! :waving: Im glad you are makin yourself known! Sounds like you are one busy, craftin lady!

benniesma
05-15-2005, 09:47 PM
OOoh, Leapinfrog. I think I'm going to like you! :) I'm also a craft junkie -with the scrapbooking and stamping and other fun things!

Welcome!

LisaD715
05-15-2005, 11:13 PM
YAY!!! More multi-talented people!! (I also cross stitch, dabble in ribbon embroidery, make wreaths, cook, if it can be counted as a craft, I am usually willing to try it!) Welcome fellow newbies! Everyone here is so warm and friendly!! If you have quesitons, ask away, you will get plenty of answers!! Welcome again!

Lisa